Speaker 1: Greeting scitations every one at Church Wells, and welcome to Fantasy Baseball Live. Today is August fourth, about two o'clock in the afternoon, and we are here for a special podcast because we have just wrapped up the twenty twenty six trading deadline. Tim and I don't know how many trades there were. I rode up thirty four, So that's that's what I got. In the last three or four days. We had thirty four trades, which was pretty insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was dead up until Sunday. Then we started to see some activity, and come yesterday morning, basically all hell broke close right through until six o'clock, with the last one sneaking into the deadline by the padres. A lot of players move teams. It's good. We were just briefly discussing you can we got on the air, and it's gonna take a few days to get this all straightened. Note in our noggins as to who's what when we're and on top of that, we've got the normal ups and downs and movement of existing players to deal with. So it's going to take a while to get this straight and around in our noggins, I think, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean for our Patreon members and again I encourage everybody to join us out there. I mean they were getting updates every half hour, two an hour and a half ever long. It took me to write the trade up, and I mean there are hundreds of players to me that I wrote about. Most of them. I knew there was some pretty obscure minor leaders that got trade I'm like, I don't and to come I several I just punted on it. I don't know this guy is. Don't kill me. I'll figure it out. Just moved.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. It's it's not the right time to be playing around that Google thing, is it.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you know, you get these guys. I mean there's so many of them, and I mean there's some sixteen seven year old Latin players that got moved and uh and then you know twenty eight year old rookies and I mean there it covered the gampit. So I'll let you go first. Like you you were following it along yesterday, how did you think it all went. Were there any like major surprises that you thought maybe guys that didn't get moved that you thought were going to get moved? What was your general impression.
Speaker 2: Well, I spent most of the day going TikTok TikTok with Foster Griffin because I thought for sure he's going to get moved, right, Yeah, he's on a one year deal. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Then finally he did get moved a little bit later on in the day. Uh. I think the one move that I sort of said wow too, that that I really liked was the Guardians acquiring Joe Adell. That was that, Yeah, I because they needed that bad okay. You know though the White Sox are, they're not backing off. And for the Guardians to go after jo Adell that said to me that, yeah, hey, we're serious about this game too. Okay. They needed a bopper and they went and got one. And the one the big wow factor trade for me was the Red Sox trade with in their division. I was like, what, like, come on, I A hey, I I know many many prospects, you know, don't make it, okay, we're you know, of the hundreds of aspects that you've discussed has been traded in the past the past couple of days. Yeah, a good chunk of them will never see the late of major League Baseball. But to give up three prospects of the stature that the Orioles gave up for Adley Rushman one.
Speaker 1: Year, one year, one plus year of Adlie Ruschman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that and we're talking Adlee Rushman, who's on the I L we don't know is how he's going to be able to handle catching movie for I. I just uh, I was shocked that. Uh, you know, Hynson and Witherspoon and as a carbon the three of them, and it ended up in Baltimore. That's that's rebuilding a minor league system on the fly quickly, isn't it. Well.
Speaker 1: I mean they didn't really need to because it was pretty strong to begin with. But uh, look, we talked about it with the Red Sox. Yeah, the Red Sox, the Yankees, the card these really huge fan base areas. I mean they they they they're active, right, and the Red Sox when they went through a row, I mean they went from big sellers. I mean we many times we talked about role as Chapman getting moved and all of a sudden they're adding in a big way, and I it was fun. That part was fun. It was actually good to see those those teams who felt like they they had a chance to add to it, we'll talk about the Padres. I do not know what's going on with the Padres. I don't know why they keep doing what they're doing. But that's just me. I was disappointed in the Orioles. I mean, they're right there with the Red Sox and they decided to be sellers.
Speaker 3: And it's like, really think that, Yeah they were, they were breaking, they had a shot, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, we're in it to win it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, not good. It's just not this year apparently.
Speaker 1: Well, I've been literally in the middle of this, and I had a chance to think about each and every one of these trades, and you know, I looked at it from a baseball perspective, but mostly from a player perspective, heavily from a Dynasty league perspective, and I made a couple of observations. The the better trades were done earlier, the more thoughtful trades where you were able to actually take it. Like I thought, the Trek Scooba trade was great. I mean, the Dodgers put the hammer down and they got the guy they wanted. The Troy got great prospects in return. But as the day wore on, well yesterday, the it almost seemed chaotic in terms of like like they like some of the guys. Some of the trades that were made after two o'clock were with teams that they lost out on the earlier trades, and they were just like, okay, I'll take him, and I'll take him. And if you look at it and you go, what are you doing? You know what is it? Does this make sense to me? Like the Yankees, I thought it was pure Hannick mode. I mean I don't even understand what they're doing. I get it. Aaron Judges, I mean Aaron Judges hurt and he might be hurt for the rest of the season. The way they kind of haphazardly just started bringing in guys. I mean, Lewis Carcia is a good player, paraly I mean it's like that they have like twelve of those Luis carcia Is on their team already.
Speaker 2: It was, Yeah, it was just weird.
Speaker 1: You know, to kind of see some of the chaotic nature of everything. And the Dustin Ma trade, I mean, holy moly, that's that was the one. I looked at each trade of mostly how do I get this work done? When I saw one for one trade, I'm like, hallelujah. I could do this one quickly. But when I saw six players involved, it's like, oh shit, I look at the names. I don't know who that is. I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: A while, yeah, well yeah, you start seventeen eighteen year old kids getting moved all over the place. Yeah, that's not a lot of fun. Then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that was that was kind of that was kind of my emotion kind of going through and I was looking at it, how do I get through this? But the only one that really struck me that I was really upset about was that that trade the Brewers did for Dustin May. And I'm like, what are they doing? Like what what I mean, what are you doing for two months of Dustin May? You're giving up these guys and Dustin they could literally go out tomorrow Timmy and his arm's gone. I didn't understand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah that hey, yeah, they're playing risk reward and the two guys Jojo Romero, I like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a tritel though, that's that's yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, obviously the Brewis hoped that was all all the holes they had to fill. I I, hey, I I don't know, I'll leave it.
Speaker 1: Prospect Capital that they have and and and Alexander Freese man he looks really really good. And Ragsdale's a guy, but that's a big bat. And all they got with all of that capital, all they got was Dustin May who again having a nice bounce back season, but that is a number three four guy, and it's like, what are you doing, Like, get somebody good, go for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they they played it very, very boringly safe. Yes, definitely. Yeah. The other thing that left out to me looking at this whole thing is, hey, if you need a relief pitcher, they're there. Relievers moved all over the place yesterday and everybody you know that needed to beefed up their bookpins and even the pirates got into the fray by grabbing Luke Weaver and they're going to pay him a eleven million next year. I gave.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a great trade. By the way, I love that Luke Weaver trade. We'll talk about that in a few minutes. Again, I went through each and every traits I analyzed this, and my other take was, boy, believers are still expensive. I mean, teams are willing to give up. I mean Eric Miller that you brought up on Sunday he went that cost a lot, uh in that trade, and he's I mean I did in a deep in deep diving. That's nasty, nasty stuff. And it's no wonder you know that that The price was what it was and the Giants got a nice return. But bats, Timmy, you want to power bat it's fifty cents on the dollar. Those guys, Yeah, just did not cost a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, batterers with flaws, Hey, we we got you. I was happy with the Jays did. The Jays made a pile of moves and overall I liked what the Jays did. Yep, it made a lot of your show.
Speaker 1: Really cost them much? I mean did, I mean?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I mean he was pretty The return was just okay, you know.
Speaker 2: He was involved was he was originally traded to the Jays from the Diamond Back. If I'm not mistaken, he was part of the Marine the Marine ordeal. But you know what what I as much as i've I've ragged gone about Spencer Ragedtty and the control issues, there's a lot of things to like there.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love that trade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, one for one Marshal for aragedy. Hey, the only person who is going to be uh, struggling okay in the next six months, and it is going to earn every sense of his contract. Is a pitching coach, Pete Pete Walker, because they've got a whole rotation of guys that have trouble throwing strikes. If he can get some of these guys throwing strikes, and Jays could could could be very happy with the way things work out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's let's go through these. We're gonna I read about thirty four of them. We're gonna do ten to fifteen. I just brought up the Guardians acquired Joe A Dell and that was not the first one we're gonna talk about today, but you brought it up. The Guardians cart all from the Angels and again they picked up the one and a half million dollars remain on the contract. But it only costs a minor league catch up Jacob Cozart, And that was my point. I mean, he wasn't all that expensive. And let's face it, Timmy, the Guardians needed power. Bet Joe Adell is not the kind of guy they like. He never walks, he swings for the fences. His power has been down. The exit velocity has come down. Having said all that, I thought it was a great addition. I mean, the Guardians in need Joe Adell or somebody like that. What say you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly as much as the Guardians have a plan, and they do, they also realized that they needed a bit more okay than with their plan was currently giving them. So they went out and they chased the power bet and they got one in Joe Adell. You know, it definitely improves their lineup in a big way.
Speaker 1: I like it, But Joe Dell's having a bit of a down seas He's not if the thirty two home run guy was last season. The ex velocity is off. I still think he's a twenty five arm run bat and I think he helps him. And uh, kudos to their guardians for for putting away their analytics chart and saying, let's just get a guy that can hit some home runs. Or absolutely loved.
Speaker 2: It or did they pull their chart out and see we got no power you know? Either either way, Yeah, it's something they needed. They addressed that. It need good for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they should have done this years ago, Timmy. They should have been bringing I mean they tried no ld Johnski and those kinds. But this is a yeah, man, these this is a legit two thirty batting average guy with twenty five twenty five on run pop that you can actually get some production out of it. And I thought it was a great move. I think after the Trek Scooball deal, to me, the most impactful deal and the biggest return, as you said, was the Red Sox acquiring Adlie Rutchman. My wife has been very upset about, uh, the Orioles moving on him, and I let her read the article and I said, this is why they did it, and like, you know, this is just what happens. And she says, the fans are very upset. I'm like, well, yeah, but Adley Rutchman is he's gonna he's going to be in a He's going to be in a race, and I am sure the Orioles try to cut a deal with him. His representative said no, and you know, they had to do what's right for their baseball team. But he goes, along with Jake Rogers from the Orioles for car for Carlos to the Red Sox for Carlos, Nevaias and three prospects. Anthony Ainsen case of Witherspoon their last year, their number one draft pick, and Eddie Scara, who asked, asked as car as a car as a car is uh? I mean he's he's been an up and coming guy. But tell me what you thought your thoughts are? When do we see Athley Rutchment back. They've got him all for next year, which again it might be that shorts strike shortened season. What do you think of the deal?
Speaker 2: Ah? I think the Red Sox gave up too much. I really do. Hey, now, granted they needed to catch her, but man, they gave up a ton Bradley Rutchman, and hey, you gotta you gotta give it to give it to the Red Sox for for going all in. Yeah yeah, yeah. But at the same point in time, man, especially it's and he could be a heck of a fight now as far as Baltimore's concerned, Yeah, it makes it makes sense to doing what they're doing. But at the same point in time, is this just give them a chance to load up on the prospects and go through the same thing they just went through over the past four years. We got the best system and we got all the prospects. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And what have they got to show for it. Nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't really move. I mean there was talk of the moving Jackson Holland, he was talk of them moving Cowser, there was talk of them moving Dylan Beavers. They pretty much kept that lineup intact. In that lineup, let's face it has underperformed. And yes, it would have been nice to have seen them try to crawl back. You know, some kind of bat that could actually help them. I mean Taylor Ward, which I don't know if we're going to talk about Taylor Ward. I had a deep dive on that that he's a big reason that the Orioles weren't very good this season. This is a guy that just he decided to cut down his leverage on the swing. I don't know if this is direction from the Orioles. He was a total uphill swing guy, like a twenty three degree launch angle. He went down to like twelve for scent.
Speaker 2: That's a huge change in approach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and guess what, his strikeout rate almost got cutting half, which is great. So now all of a sudden he's making better contact. Yeah, he's more, but he's more of a light any leadoff batter, I'm not sure that's what the Orioles wanted. And it's like, I'm wondering, on his new team, is he going to turn back? They're going to go just hit home runs and all of a sudden, he's going to be the guy that hit thirty six on runs in twenty twenty five, not the guy that's hitting seven.
Speaker 2: Now. Yeah, if the if the Orioles wanted Luisa Rise, they could have got him. That's right, they did. They didn't have to take and modify somebody into him, right yep.
Speaker 1: And it's fun for me to do this analysis and you sit there and you look at it and you know that leveraging a swing causes more strikeouts and you know the reverse is true, and actually see it play out and see a player what he did in twenty twenty five, see what they're doing in twenty twenty six, and then identify, i mean, where those changes were made. It's actually a really cool thing. But then you go, what is going on here? Why is he doing this? Like hit home runs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what we're that's what we're paying you the big bucks for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean like, yeah, I can find a guy that hits me seven home runs. I can't find a guy that hits me thirty six home runs.
Speaker 2: Well exactly. Yeah, and you know a Ward ended up in Seattle and he was about the only significant batting ad that they made. I was very disappointed with the Mariners coming out of this. I think they needed more than what they got.
Speaker 1: Totally agree, and I run the analysis like, this isn't this isn't twenty twenty five, Taylor war, this is twenty twenty six. Now, maybe again they tell him to switch back, but I don't think he can just do that. Oh okay, sure I could do that again. I think that's going to take some time for head river back to the guy. And I don't think the Mariners need a seven home run guy hitting at the lane offf They got Cole Young for that. That's Cole Young, Okay.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they've they've got They've got that covered. Yeah, but you look at their lineup and other than Julio Rodriguez, you know, Rose Arena will be be a twenty twenty type player. But other than Julio Rodriguez and Calorad, they needed some power. They still have Weston Wilson at third base. I know, yeah, it's yeah, no, that's I was disappointed in what happened with the Mariners. Very disappointed.
Speaker 1: So just a quick rundown on these three prospects. Anthony Iinson has been one of the true breakout pitchers in the minor leagues this season double a and high ace pitch into a one thirty two ear a, striking out more than twelve for nine. The walks have tipped ticked up a little bit after the promotion, but this is the top of the rotation guy. This is the best pitching prospects the Orioles have had since Grayson Rodriguez. And I do love kateon Hunter, who's with the Orioles now, But this is a This is a guy that you can see in twenty twenty seven that's going to come up in a couple of years, going to really establish himself. Cason Witherspoon was their first round draft pick, a great arm. The Red Sox did a good job with him. They changed his mechanics around to get him straighter to the plate. After six weeks or two months of really poor performance, he started to put it together. I think he's a much better pitcher than when he started off the year with to what the Orioles are getting again, another guy that could be a mid rotation starter. And then Indy as a car is just blown up this year as well, and he's made a lot of strides and there's something good. Tammy. Carlos Novaias is a backup catcher. I mean, they need a backup catcher. Now you've got once, oh, the catcher with the Orioles, now, big guy, once he comes back from off the il. I think Narvaiz will be a nice little backup for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, hey, and hey, kudos, hey to the Red Sox. You know, it's so funny how quickly our game changes. A month, a little bit more than a month ago, we were looking at the Red Sox Soox being sellers. Yeah, and then they win twenty five or thirty games or whatever it was, and they're right in the heart of the race. Crazy, Oh quickly things can change.
Speaker 1: I had read that the the Red Sox are obviously looking for shortstop help and Zach Needo was being kind of dangled out there, but they wanted Franklin a rise, and rightly so the Red Sox says no, no, thank you. And I think that was a smart move for them, because I think that would have been a complete overpay because Franklin Ryo could probably be in the major leagues now, He's definitely going to be there in two thousands twenty seven, and you just don't trade that guy.
Speaker 2: No, and you've got Trevor Story, who will be back sometime in August. That will suffice in the middle of envy for Boss, and that'll be an upgrade over what they have right now just by using Stories. So why would you why would you play the Franklin the Rise game. No, that would be that would have been silly, I believe Timmy.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break and come back. Let's talk about the Yankees. I said it at the top of the show. I think the Yankees panic. I'm afraid Aaron Judge might be more hurt than we think, or that we know and have to speculate. I haven't heard that, but I mean they, I mean they, I mean they traded for Lewis Garcia from the Nationals. They gave up Ivanni Cruz, Timmy who I don't know, But you think that's going to be their closer. That guy's like one hundred miles an hour, nasty slider, Jake Bird and Jackson. I mean, but it's about Giovanni Cruz and Louis Garcia's a good players power. He has already hit a home run. But like now they're saying, well, he'll play part d H and part first base and then Ben Rice old party. It's like, well, what's going to how it happens with gacrrows Stan comes back. It's like the Yankees they got one prototype guys that hit home runs and Garcia doesn't even walk ever. Guys that hit home runs that are slow footed and clog up the bases. That's who the Yankees have become.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and what you've done is you've taken Ben Rice off first base, slid him into the DH slide, and we're starting to hear, you know, we're hearing that Ben Rayce is going to do some catching. Okay, well, next year is not a problem with Ben Rice because he's first base eligible based on this year. But next year that could be a real problem. We could be looking at them race as a full time DH and I would much rather see him having first base or catch your eligibility. He's not going to have catch your eligibility. I doubt he's going to get twenty games in before the end of the year. But again it's clogged things up because again you've got Luis Garcia platooning with Paul Goldsman because they're not going to take Goldsman out of the lineup against lefties. You know that's not going to happen. They'll they'll move Garcia to d AH.
Speaker 1: So you you think Ben Rice is going to lose playing time, then.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's going to lose playing time. But I don't think he's going to play at first base. I think he's going to He's going to catch occasionally. That's what I'm hearing is they're going to use him and use him as the catcher. It'll be the full time DH. You know, Goldschmid will hit against, He'll be in the lineup against lefties, Garcia should play, will shift to d H and Ben Rachel catch over Austin Wells. Again, it's you're you're taking your back this year and moving him from first base to catcher with two months left in the season. That to me just does not sound functioning properly. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, look, this is baseball, not fantasy based. That's not a very good catcher. I mean is Garrett Cole going to be excited your slitler going to be excited? Uh oh, captain and have Ben Rice today, love and Rice, but I don't want him.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's creating. They tried to resolve a problem, but but by resolving a problem and getting more power into that lineup, they've created another problem. Okay, and then from that other problem, you've created another problem and another problem. And it's it's a very candidly, Timmy.
Speaker 1: They do this all the time. This is what, like I mean, Jane Color said, is a perfect example of why did they acquire that guy?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Well, because they needed a d H. They need the big power bad and they and they could pay for it, and they did pay for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah and then now around their neck.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, it's yeah, the the Yankees are definitely putting the disc in dysfunctional. Yeah, it's I like Lewis Garcia, that guy is.
Speaker 1: I mean, you take a look at his basements on page it's just completely red. It's a it's a power hitting first basement. He's a good player. I just I mean, but I did the analysis power hitting, they were plentiful, Timmy. You could have had your pick of the litter. They could have gotten the power hitting outfielder. Uh and it actually made a little bit more sense. And then they you know, they try to get a power hitting I mean Elliott Ramos and that's that's that was their outfield help thee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they put, they put, spent, they put, and they sent Spencer down, who was hit home runs in three of the past four or five.
Speaker 1: I did send him down. I thought he was when I last I looked he was. He was gonna be the other corner.
Speaker 2: So he's down, I believe.
Speaker 1: So I know Dimingo's got sent down yesterday along with Anthony Volpi and George Lombard is up.
Speaker 2: No, sorry, Spencer Jones is still up. Sorry, Yeah, it was Domingus Dimingus who went down. Sorry, rich my bad. So they meant that they sent somebody down that they really didn't have to. Would you rather have Domingus or Ramos or does it matter to me? It doesn't matter why.
Speaker 1: Well, Domingos can't hit lefties. He's a better defender than Ramos, but he had just hasn't He just hasn't it. I mean, and I Ramos got a little power never walk Spencer Jones. I mean is he got two strikeout machines now on the outfield. The Yankees, I don't know what they're doing, Timmy. And they give up Henry Lelane, who was a reclamation project for them. It looked like one of the best young arms two years ago and just went to the desert with arm injury and other kind of problems. And he's returned to me and it's just I mean, lighting it up. And that's who they traded for Elliott Ramos. Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and they have in their starting nine. They they've got two right handed bets in their starting nine, one of which they created for Ramos. You're looking at Grisham, Rice Garcia, Joan Jazz, Chisholm, Ryan McMahon. They're all left handed bets. They got two right handed bets in that lineup, and one of them they traded at the deadline, four in Elliott Ramos. Yeah, it's yeah, they're at some point in time, they're gonna they're gonna face good left hand did pitching and it's gonna be ugly, totally ugly.
Speaker 1: I think they panicked him. I think they got down to the day before the uh for the trade deadline and go, oh, judges not coming back and what are we going to do? And it's just, you know, just got out the board and said let's just start trying to make deals. And they overpaid and I don't. I didn't like what they did at all.
Speaker 2: No, I I agree. I think they're going to finish third in that division by default.
Speaker 1: They very well could. Let's see, So the Blue Jays acquire Jose Sorianna from the Angels for three minor leaguers, Arjen Dalala, which is a first round traffick Eddie, Michael Eddie and Angel In a right handed pitcher, Angel Rivera. What are the the Toronto Faithful saying about this.
Speaker 2: The Initially I'm hearing that people were upset, okay, that they were acquiring a picture that yeah, there's trouble throwing strikes and giving up themala to do it. But they got Jojo Parker, Okay, So he's obviously the Blue Jays have stated their case as to where their future is going, and it's going to be Parker. I again, this is this is this is going to earn Pete Walker a bonus, okay, because Sorrianna is a fine catcher. He's twenty seven, he's under control for several years. If they can find a way to get him to throw more strikes Sorriano, for those three minor leaguers could prove to be a steal. And you look at Sorriano, Eric Getty punts, Dylan says, the Jay's retooled on the fly. I like what they did across the board again Soriano. Yeah, there's there's some things that have to be straightened out. But if they can find a way to get him to throw more strikes, that could prove to be a steal in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was interesting when when I wrote this, it's uh so I wrote this yesterday and I wrote last like the Blue Jay's traded away Kevin Goussman and then immediately turned around and traded for Jose Jose Soriana, and I did. I did the quote for there's a movie My my mother, my sister, My mother, my sister, So that was the line I put in there. And obviously I talked about you and I discussed in Soriana when you have the sub I think it was a point two five.
Speaker 2: Year rate for four stars Pitture of the Month in April.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then it just all correct it like we thought. Now as x Era stands at four thirty three, which is actually higher than it's been the last couple of years. I mean, he's got decent stuff. I mean, he's not Kevin Gousman. No, but I mean it's not before kind of picture. But they gave up an awful lot for Siano.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like, hey, they did give up a lot, but I liked what they did because the players that they acquired along with Eric Eddy, Yeah, yeah, there's upside there. They they're they you know what I mean. It's not like they traded for Mitch Keller. Oh yeah, there's some up There's some upside sitting there. And when I look at the Jay's heading into next year, yeah, ghost, I wouldn't be at all shocked if Kevin Gossman is back in Toronto on a two three year deal. He was. That was the trade that upset the Blue They faithful in a big way, and I get it. Kevin Gossman was was an ambassador for that baseball team. He had nothing but good things to say about Toronto, Canada. He loved it up here. And if you've looked at any of his tweets on Twitter and and the Blue Jays fans, they loved him back. It was a great fit. He he That was one of the best signings the Jays have ever done, was getting Ghostan. So I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's back in Toronto next year. And you look at what the Jays have to throw out here. You know you got Cees, they still have Beaver. I don't know if we can write dog that off, but you Savage Sriano, Cody Pons didn't pitch at all last year. Eric Getty, the bullpen's deep and talented. I like what the Jays did, I really did. I think they retooled on the fly, and the price was not such that it was like Boston Boston rich, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Lamala's chance to be very very good. It's a big bat. He has not yet developed, I will grant you that, but you know, the underlying stats says that eventually that's going to come. He's pretty athletic. So I think they gave up an awful lot for Jose Sriana. In fact, I actually think the Angels overall did pretty well by finally getting some talented guys in there on their squad.
Speaker 2: But poor Mike Trow.
Speaker 1: You know, I was about to say that, like he didn't get moved. Wouldn't that have been a perfect fit for the Yankees in the outfield. Maybe they didn't want to assume all of that extra money because it's just another Giancarlo Stanton, But at least that's a player.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yeah, and the Phillies improved their their lot in life as well. But Mike Trows a Philly boy, isn't he? Yes, yes, yes, so yeah no. So I I'm okay with what the Jays did. I'm perfectly fine with that. They do have so they were work cut out. But all they gotta do is find it where you get these guys to throw a few more strikes and if you walk a few less. Yeah, I'm sure everybody's interested in what Dylan Cees is throwing these days. The Jays will use that with their new acquisitions.
Speaker 1: Dy Dylan system monsters. So I'm going to turn this next one over to you, Tim, because I am at a loss about the love affair that major some Major League Baseball teams have with Lewis and Rise. I just do not get it.
Speaker 2: It's it's simple, Uh, it's a perfect fit in Philadelphia. Absolutely the absolutely perfect fit. Do you want trade Turners? Do you want trade Turners? Two ninety nine? Obp hitting in the ladofs but uh no, I can't see it. You need to Rise in the leadoff spot.
Speaker 1: Is it going to be in the lead.
Speaker 2: It's not showing as such, but I have to think that is going to that is going to happen. I'm betting on that happening. You put them in the leadoff spot, Slapman there, and then you've got Schwarber and Harper, and then you moved you moved tray Turner into four or five with Alex Baum.
Speaker 1: Uh wait, wait, wait, wait, wait a minute. You did not read my analysis. That's because I thought through this. So yeah, I wrote in yes, put Lewis Rise at the leadof Schwarburn Harbor after I right, I understand the theory. I just don't agree with it. But that's just me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But then yeah, I get Okay, So, so where does Lewis a Rise play?
Speaker 2: Uh, Lewis Rise is playing.
Speaker 1: We're second base. I'll help you out second base, okay.
Speaker 2: And then moving braces start to third base. Bruce, he's gonna play first. Bryce Harper is in the yoakfield.
Speaker 1: Okay, stop, let's stop. Stop stop. You cannot do that, so you can't it. That makes that is bad general management. I am sorry. You're taking a thirty four year old player, you know, the the leader of that team along with Schwarber, and you're gonna subject him. We've we've seen Bryce Harper play ryfield where the guy runs into walls. You cannot do that.
Speaker 2: What's that he's all growed up. Now he's ran into them all. He doesn't need to do it twice unless he's done.
Speaker 1: Okay, The end result of buying of trading for Lewis a rise is that Bryce Harper plays in the outfield. That's the accommodation you're making. I think that's idiotic. That is idiotic. I'm I think.
Speaker 2: I think what Philadelphia is saying is we non bas guy in our lineup in a big way, and that's the price that we'll pay. But Lewis and one base is.
Speaker 1: Based on the fact that he never he makes such good contact if they're swing and missing it, he never walks. I mean, he's up there hacking away. So it's not like like we saw last season he was a terrible one base guy because he didn't hit the ball, So that does happen. You need to find somebody like Schwarber who walks on. There's a lot of one based guys. They could have taken anybody off the Guardian's system and they get added one base guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again they got to get trained great turner of the leadoff spot. They don't want to put Shorber in in their best bat in the leadoff spot, so they had to get somebody and arise as an OBP at three sixty? How many more runs are generated? Run score are generated with a three sixty versus the two ninety nine OBB. Would I have done it? No?
Speaker 1: I get the theory and I yeah, but I mean I'd rather have a true one base percentage guy, which is a guy walks a lot with solid strikeout rates, not a guy who never strikes out and can't provide anything else and just to slap them all around to try to get that. We saw it last year. He can have streaks and that lasted most of last year. We never gets on base, and then you have nothing, You got a zero in your line up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what the Philly said is this is what we need. We need to lead off at Louise Rises. It would I have done it? No, I probably wouldn't have. I'm not I'm not a Louise Rise fan. I never have been. But at the same point in time, Philly decided that's how they're going to do it, and they went and did it.
Speaker 1: So, hey, that's a mistake. When when Bryce Harper comes up lame in the middle of decem in the middle of September, don't come to me. It's like I tell my kids, when you screw this up, I'm not here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got I'm hearing. Don't cry for me, Rich Wilson exactly. Yeah, don't gray at me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's how they decided to approach it, and they they did it. It's as simple as that. Well. Yeah, what what I did like was the fact that the Phillies picked up Killian and Brooksrelly elbow in that bullpen. Smart move I both. Yeah, pretty much everybody found a way to improve their bullpen.
Speaker 1: I will say the Giants did well this. Lewisa Rise tray Ramon Marquez has got a great arm. He might be he might be a bullpen arm long term, but he's posting one sixty eighty or a ninety three strike counts of nineteen walks. Yeah, it's it's it's really good stuff. So then and they got some other guys too, But that was the big one. And sure Lewis a rise or rental for Lewis ri and Caleb killing is okay, But I mean that's what I I just I I'll once he retires, I'll never understand the Lewis or Rays love affair with it. I just don't get it. You can get to on base percentage a different way than somebody who strikes out eight percent of the time with absolutely nothing else to offer. I'll never understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a Dave Dombroski trade.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, Dan Dombroski's right. I had a dumb Yeah, he needs to retire. That's that's the nineteen seventies trade.
Speaker 2: Ye yeah, yeah it did really annoys retire. Dave will retire, okay, and somebody else will have to pick up the pieces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, somebody with a understand I know. Let's move on to me take a break in the brewers the dust in may Well, we're gonna do that one next. That was the other one that really ticked me off.
Speaker 2: Yes, I be for coming on.
Speaker 1: Look, no one's happier for Dustin May than me. I've always had a soft spot for Dustin May. He's got the great look. I loved it when he had the big hair. I mean it's a thing. And I owned Dustin May and multiple dinings of leagues when they got called up, and I enjoyed those four starts before he got Tommy John Surgery like everybody did.
Speaker 2: I mean I really did. And maybe more rich because you had the investment right yeah.
Speaker 1: And for I mean Dustin me seems like a like a gentle soul. He seems like a good dude, and it's just like he just can't stay healthy. It's two Tommy John Surgery's back to back and it's tough. And I love what because you and I were on doing a podcast recording when I stopped the show and I said, I'm looking at Dustin May's game outing that he's having. He's up to ninety eight miles an hour, and he said he was going to cut back on the velocity and he got to give it up to him that it was not working, so he needed to throw harder and it's it's helped Timmy and you know, He's pitched fairly well. He's not a great pitchers of expected area of three ninety one. It's a number four kind of.
Speaker 2: Starter and correct.
Speaker 1: And I get the Brewers really know what they're doing. It'll probably make Dustin May better and in the short time he'll be there. But they gave up Alex Freeze, who I think has a chance to be a special dude, and they had a who's who of prospects on their team and they chose to go down the Dustin May route. I'm sorry this one made me mad. It's not that I don't like Dustin May. It's not like I don't think he could help. But I think there was so many of them. They could have been maybe they were. They could have been in that Tarrek schoolble, and they might have been able to outbid the Dodgers for Trek schoolbel and they went Dustin May. I don't get it. That one's the head scratcher for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they they played the safe, They took the cautious, cautious approach. They they did. They did add to their bullpen with Senzatela, which which won't hurt uh and who else did they add another bullpen? That they got, they got Romero. Yeah, yeah, so they improved their bullpen. But basically they're going in with Miserowski, Sprote, Henderson, Dryan Gasser, Dust and may uh. Kyle Harrison will be back to this week. Quinn pre Priester. He ceased to Yeah, maybe they've they've got they've got depth in armies, but they don't after Miseroski and possibly Kyle Harrison. The top and bottom heavy with a lac in the middle.
Speaker 1: Does that make That's that's exactly what That's exactly a great analysis on that because I agree with you and ms Rawski fumbles in the playoffs and it's always possible to me as a young kid that and guys gonna have bad outings and all of a sudden you got a huge drop off and you know you're in a short series. You could be done.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, as far as the offense is concerned, and they don't have any problems there.
Speaker 1: It's they needed they needed a really good arm and I hope to God that works out for him, I really do. And and again they make guys better, but man, they're they're playing with fire with this one, and they did not need to. They had enough prospect capital to get whomever they wanted.
Speaker 2: They could have. Well, but again, hey, most most of the pictures were looking at the gun moved. Uh they're all one picture away from being on an I l Yeah, yeah, ghost Ghostman's up there, Freddy Peralta, casey my hurt right now, you know, I mean a lot of the pictures that got moved are older veteran teachers that yeah, dust to me, Yeah, you look at hurt.
Speaker 1: I thought he was going to play and that would have been the guy that I would have gone for. Maybe it's hurt worse than then I realized because the Padres acquired him.
Speaker 2: So yeah, right at the end, that was.
Speaker 1: Can we can we pivot to the Padres? That's another thing I I these are all the ones I've just did not get. I mean, I just like I I I appreciate what the Padres are doing. That they are at the end of their window. Uh, they're they're Manny Machado is not the same guy anymore. Well, the shortstop is brutal. Who is that that short Uh? Former boss in red sox Xavier uh Xander Bogart.
Speaker 2: Is not the same guy.
Speaker 1: Tatist Junior is still a really good player. But I mean they're getting old in a hurry, and they're they're trying to compete for sixth place. And on one respect, I get that and I appreciate that. Let's get into the playoffs. We'll go three and out. But hey, we got into the playoffs. But at some point, Timmy, don't you have to take a step back and go we need to really retool here in a couple of years. AJ Preller is great at discovering guys because the coffers go dry with young young players, and he reloads and gets some other front office to take some of his guys and continues this this process. But it's just not working. I don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: They're in it to win it every year. That's AJ's model, and as long as AJ Preller has a support of ownership, that's the way it's going to be. That's who AJ Prowler is.
Speaker 1: Well, you play, you playing dynas league teams. How's it? What's it like in fourth place?
Speaker 2: Uh? I don't have any of the Tata force, So yeah, I know what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Here, coming in fourth place, I mean, yeah, that's tough.
Speaker 2: Well, well you know, yeah, Hey, look at the part of his lineup. Okay, you got Steves Junior, and you've got Machado, and you got Jackson Mcarroll. And surrounding those players, you've got Ty France. Hey, so caps off to you, Tie. You're having a great year, but you've got Ty France, you got Luis Reynigo, Gavin Sheets, Xander Bogart's Campasano's playing much better, but you've got three stars surrounded by basically cast offs that he's picked up. Okay, and now he's picked up two more pictures to go with Michael King and Michael King and Michael King, you know what I mean. It's yeah, you look at the rotation. You get Casey May's, Robbie Ray who they trained for Michael King. Then you go Walker Bueler and Hermine Marquez.
Speaker 1: That is not going to take that's not going to take down the Dodgers. That's not going to take down.
Speaker 2: The Brings, that's not going to take down the Brewer.
Speaker 1: It's just not.
Speaker 2: No. You need to be very fortunate. I was sort of disappointed. I really thought they might look at moving Mason Miller or maybe yeah, Adrian more John. Right, they didn't, because there you know they didn't do any of it. Their bullpen is still deep, it's still strong. It's a playoff type bullpen. One of the best in the game. But other than the big bats and hey, cross your fingers open, the best with the rotation. Yeah, it's it's a in a dynasty format. It's a midpac team.
Speaker 1: Yep. I'm trying to figure out if Casey Mice is on the eyel Now. I don't believe he is, but yeah, I don't believe he is either. I mean, no, Casey Mice is not on the injured list, So that's I think Casey Casey Mice. People read my analysis of his stuff. Look, he came out as a number one overall prosper overall player twenty eighteen, I think nineteen something like that. It was before the pandemic, so that's how you always deferiate that. And it looked like he was going to be a top of the rotation guy. And Dan if he's not a top of the rotation picture, he doesn't walk anybody. He's got the great split or the sweeper's gotten a lot better. The fastball's good enough.
Speaker 2: It's a good picture. The problem with Casey mi is that since becoming making it to the to the bigs. His high water mark in innings pitch is one hundred and fifty and it was in twenty twenty one L two series through one two and twenty four. Uh, didn't pitch in twenty twenty three. Okay here, Yeah, this year he's sitting with eighty six and two thirds.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, he's had two years of pretty much pitching full time. That was the one forty nine and one fifty three. Otherwise he's been hurt totally, agree, absolutely, yeah, yeah, and that's going to hurt him in free agency, that is for sure next season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely. But hey, the Podres are what the Padres are.
Speaker 1: The Padres gave up case Cash Mayfield is a pretty good lefty young kid high school or a couple of years ago. Uh, and they get Robbie Ray. They cape up Miguel Mendez, who's pretty good in Janelle Hernandez was the one point four million dollars international signing this past January. That's hitting three hundred and the DSL with a good power, good speed, So that could be somebody. So, I mean, it's impressive that the Padres continued to fill their Coffers. As I said before, so good on them, But I just more, I just I emphatically disagree with how they're going about this. I think they're going to have to pull the plug at some point, and they're going to pull the plug and A J. Prewler is going to get fired and the next guy is going to be the one who's going to get blamed for four or five years of the dol drums when I don't think it had to be that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally agree. Yeah, that that is the way it's gonna That is the way that it eventually will shake down. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite trades of the week was the Pirates acquiring look Weaver from the Mets.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know that the Closer State, which was really weird. Well, I I don't think it's probably for lack of trying in New York. I think it was probably the contract.
Speaker 1: The contract and they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, yeah, there's there's ten years after the expiration date. There's ten years of bonuses in there at one point five million a million. Yeah, yeah, No, Williams has ten years of deferred money at one point five million for the ten years, in addition to what he's being paid. Now. So that's I think I mentioned on the podcast if somebody will will eat that or you know, and I'm sure that's what the problem was. I'm sure they wanted to move Devin Williams. But it's much easier to show up Luke Weaver than it is ten years of one point five million moving forward, Right.
Speaker 1: Luke Weaver, it seems to be set up for me. And I wrote this, I can take I appreciate your view on this. I think Luke Weaver will be in the next for saves this year if I think by the end of the season he's your closer, and I think he's your closer going into next season. Right, it's he's the best arm, and it's a good arm in that bullpen.
Speaker 2: I picked him up several redraft leagues, and I picked him up in one of my keeper leagues. I'll have him next year for six dollars in one of my keeper leagues. And the idea behind that is if he did get into a situation where he could be closing, and let's face it, an eleven million dollar arm in Pittsburgh, he's going to be closing. Yeah, as good as I don't think it matters how good Mason Montgomery is the Pirates are paying Luke Weaver eleven million bucks, He's going to get every opportunity to close, not only this year but moving into next year. So yeah, kudos to those that picked up Luke Weaver in the in the two weeks prior to the trade deadline, especially in Dynasty Keeper type format formats. You might have yourself a really nice arm there for next year.
Speaker 1: I'm one hundred percent and agree with you. I think it was a bit lucky, and I think because I mean, we thought Luke Weaver could moved, but probably thought it could moved to a situation where he was at seventh any guy, and it turned out he's got a chance to be the closer. I don't think we had on our bingo car that he would be going to the Pirates.
Speaker 2: No. I looked at eleven million, looked at Pirates, said no, that ain't gonna happen. Yeah, that's the most This is the second most expensive acquisition I think the Pirates have ever made, behind Ryan O'Hearn.
Speaker 1: Who was pretty much out for the season, which is yeah, talk about my fantasy chances right over, Yeah, and eight of my twenty and twenty five of my league. So it's just not good.
Speaker 2: So no, no, definitely, And you know, for the people that invested in Camillo Dvaal thinking he might be the closer, might condolences. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's not going to be the closer, you know.
Speaker 1: No, I totally agree. Can we talk about Sammy Staffer, the guy that went back to the Mets. I'm a huge fan of Sammy Steffer. Let me give you a little update on that. He was drafted a couple of years ago. Really really athletic kid, of the best athletes in his draft class. And this season, to me, there are seven players in the minor leagues who've gone twenty twenty, and Sammy Staffora is one of them. Most of the guys have played eighty to ninety games. Steffora played his sixtieth game on Sunday and he's already at twenty twenty. So this is a guy who was absolutely grown up. Promise he can't hit. There is that so bury the league. He turns out thirty percent of the time. But the fantasy skills are off the charts with this guy, and I probably rather he would have stayed with the Pirates and turned this over to the Mets to kind of develop him. But they did develop they did develop Aja Ewing, they did develop Carson Binge, so and he's in that athletic kind of model that they're in. So maybe I'm not so worried. But this is a guy that I think in Dynas leagues that you're want to be taking to gamble on.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I know I have personally a few weeks ago when I saw what he was blowing up to. But this is I mean, if and if it doesn't work, Timmy, it hasn't cost you much, but the upside is substantial.
Speaker 2: So what you're saying is so far are so good, so good?
Speaker 1: All right, Well that was actually very clever, mister coot all that.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I know, as we were going off the air, coming onto the air on Sunday, Freddy Parolta goes from the Mets to the Rays. They get back eight Smith, Emelian Petrie, who's a second basement Amelia Petrie, and then G. G. H. Gary Gil Hill. I hope for the best for Freddy Parolta with the Rays, and I'm hoping it works out for them. And the Rains are pretty smart, so they must think they can get him back to six ending Freddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I and and you know what it's it's a perfect type trade for the Rays. It didn't cost them an army a leg and they think they can fix him and you can slip into that rotation if he gets to be seventy five percent of what he was in Milwaukee. The Rays have done very very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the guys that went back and encouraged him, but to go read about them not great prospects, but at least there's something. Again, it's inspiring contract on a guy who was terrible this season, so you can't expect too much to return.
Speaker 2: No, well, exactly the same with Ghostman when the Jay's movement. He hasn't had a great year because the Ras over four he's won five games. Yeah, yeah, yeah, what it is?
Speaker 1: This next trade I thought was fascinating. The Giants acquired Marcela Mayor from the Red Siene, I laughed out loud. I saw going back was left handed reliever Eric Miller. Because Timmy, I had taken a break from watching.
Speaker 2: Your closed report and diving in and and Eric Miller.
Speaker 1: After I looked at his Baseball Savant page, I said, I gotta get this guy. It's nasty stuff. And I did, man, I spent a lot of money and it was I was thrilled that I got him in two or three leagues. I'm thinking, look at me, man, I finally got a closer. And the twenty four hours later he's the seventh inny guy behind Whitlock and enrolled his check.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, yeah, stupid game. Yeah. I actually, when I saw that trade go through, I uttered, I uttered out loud the F word. Really yeah, yeah, because I got shares all over the place. Everything set up absolutely perfect. He could be a closer in San Francisco for the next two three years. Yeah, No, I was. There was a big fea. You probably heard it. Okay, he just didn't realize it. Be rich.
Speaker 1: I didn't have time to get you. I was too I was too busy writing. But I'm like, oh, you've got to be kidding me. I mean, and I just said, yeah, I just give up on closers. I'm going to a five by four league. That's where I'm going. I just I just don't get it. I mean, I don't understand. He's got a great arm. H Carlos good Area is an interesting guy too. Marcella Mayer, though, I think it's safe to say he just has not developed. He's still only twenty three years old. Bat speed looks really good based on the metrics, but I think we have to just maybe recalibrate with him, particularly going to the Giants. This is maybe an average to below average player than a plus player.
Speaker 2: Agreed Boston. Hey, Boston didn't move him. There was a reason there. Yeah, Eric Miller is a good arm, but he's he's number three four in their bullpen, you know, behind Whitlock, behind Chapman, behind Slayton, and then you got Miller. The Boston Red Sox didn't need Eric Miller to have a good bullpen. But I'm wondering we're seeing the same thing.
Speaker 1: We're seeing the same thing we do. I mean, the oldest Chapman will one day retire, Wedlock will get free agency, and Eric members they got him for three years. You could see him closing games in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: I agree that there's there's there's a pick that I'm going to have on a fair number of my teams coming out of the drafts next year, depending what happens with the oldest Chapman. Yeah, if he's the number three guy in that bullpen. Yeah, I'll take my chances. He'll be next year. Is Louis Barlin for me? Richard, Yeah, well, I'll be.
Speaker 1: Right there with Robby rut I have now in three leagues and I have spent a lot of emotion already on him. So he's gonna stick with me for a while. Thickay, Marcella Mayor, Hey, I thought he would be better than he is. He just hasn't been. He just has not the ball. I'm not willing to give up on the twenty three year old. He'll get a good play. He won't have Franklin, he won't be looking over his shoulder for Franklin a raise and everybody else. He'll get a nice run for at least a couple of years until Lewis, Hernandez send all these kids that are in low way or ready to take his job. But at least he's got a couple of years to develop. The next one, second to the last, was the Angels acquiring Moys's Beilisteris. This was a little shocking for me. They also acquired Mason McGuire, who was actually Mark McGuire's son. I actually saw him pitch last year. Once and pretty good stuff. And the Cubs got to Ryan Zephyrchon. He's got really good stuff as well. It doesn't always throw strikes, but he's another guy that's up to a lefty that's up to one hundred miles an hour. Were you surprised that the Cubs, I mean, I get the red sucks kind of giving up a Marcela Mayor getting a similar guy and Eric Miller, but the Cubs gave up on Moys's Bellisterius. I found that to be shocking.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it goes back to a discussion we've had many times, many times in the past about players with defensive challenges, liabilities, and let's face it, Bia Steros, he can can't catch. Yeah, so where where is he going to fit into the Cubs lineup when you've got Saya Suzuki, who's gonna you know, he's thirty two, would be thirty three next year. Uh yeah, how many how many first base DH types do you need? And yeah, yeah, well yeah then they'll say one more, damn.
Speaker 1: One more, we'll take. We'll take that's our model, Yeah exactly, Yes, clogging.
Speaker 2: Up a position somewhere that he shouldn't be. Yeah. So I think that's where it boiled down to. I think I think by stairs, I don't have any doubts that he's going to be able to hit, and he'll get the opportunities in his his new home to do just that. But I don't think he fit into the cubs overall plans because of those defensive challenges.
Speaker 1: Totally agree. I'd love to see him move to first pie if you look at a shot at the Angels, but it's a perfect landing spot for him. He's going to play him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sure, if he's around, he's going to hit. I think the guy yeah, and the Cubs. Hey, let's let's face it, the Cubs had to do something as far as their bullpen. You know, they have Webb Thornton Fielberg. Now they've got Zephyr John That helps their bullpen significantly because let's, let's let's face it, we don't know what is going to happen with Daniel Palencia. He's been hurt off and on most of the year. Apparently he's you know, on the verge of another rehabit assignment and back up. But the Cubs had to get into the bullpen arm they can't count on Boantee this year based on what we've seen, so yeah, it sort of made sense. I have. Like I said, I think it was just one of those situations where it's not gonna fit. They had to do something with them, and they're not going to have them in the everyday lineup. That's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Overall, I think the Cubs did well. I think they've reloaded with their pitching and they've got Gossman, they got Peterson. Again, these aren't top of the rocatation guys anymore, but I don't think they need that, and I think I think they have a chance to possibly catch the Brewers, if not make it into the more securely make it into the playoffs. I like what they did there, but I absolutely love what the Angels did. Finally they're doing stuff, and you know they they've got the oh I can't remember who the the filling GM is there, but it's not a great job. He had a great draft and made.
Speaker 2: Some really smart moves for the Angels.
Speaker 1: They're actually getting some guys that can play, and I think they're going to be I think the Angels will be a different team in a couple of years because of these moves they made at this deadline and some of the draft picks they've made. So I'm really slightly bullish on the Angels.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I did, the bar is set so frigging low there. It's a good thing. But at the same point in time, Yeah, it's a low bar, isn't it. At least it's going, it appears to be going in the right direction. The best thing that can happen to that team is new ownership, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, yeah, but hey, at least they're on the fringes at the moment and trying to trade around the frenches.
Speaker 2: Which is good.
Speaker 1: Two more trades here, Timmy, the Astros acquire salts of our show. Before you mentioned that for Spencer ari Gettia, I'm assuming you liked it for the blue Jay side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did dal Var show his he was. He was yoking them all over the place last year. He had big homers and limited at bats. Look at the bat, look at the launch angle. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yep. And Arragetty is the type of army and the stuff's good. There's no dobting the stuff. It's just whether or not he managed to trying the way to get it over home plate. And sorry was in that same situation. There's upside, there's upside out of the Arragedtty trade. And yeah, like, hey, I like Dalton bar Show defensively. Yeah he's he's the number one outfielder in Houston right now. Yeah, he'll play center field. You'll run everything down, You'll do what the Astros need. Raghetty will do with Jason. It was a good trade. I like it.
Speaker 1: I mean the get somebody in the outfield, and I mean I don't think a lot of the offensive upside of Barship, but he definitely can run it down. Totally agree with you there. I've got him one Dynasty League and it's back and forth, starting lineup percentting on the bed tea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's not a very good player.
Speaker 2: No, it's defense. He yearns his keep based on the defense.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And and it makes sense for the Astros to gloat and get him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I took a look at his war war from last year was two point two based on his swing changes. It's one point one this season, so it did not work.
Speaker 2: Whatever he's doing has not worked. No, and that one point one of that one point one one point zero is based on the defense.
Speaker 1: Could be he's been he's been an off, he's not been very good offensive. Last last trade is the race trade, bricks. You're gonna do another one after this. The reason I put this down here because I thought it was fascinating. The Rays acquired Liam Hicks, which you know Catcher who has got fourteen home runs of going for memory and hits the ball eighty six miles an hour with the launch. I have no idea how the power came out. I do not think this is a power This is a Lewis and Wise at Catcher right. He makes incredible contact and he got he's got five to eight home run power.
Speaker 2: But maybe the brains has even more than I do.
Speaker 1: But they grabbed him hot start.
Speaker 2: He got out of the gates strong. I think of his fourteen home runs, he had twelve of them in April, or ten of them. He got off to a ridiculous start, and then he settled into who he is yep.
Speaker 1: But which is not a power hitting home It's not a power guy at all.
Speaker 2: I want to make sure everybody's clear on that, Yes he is not cal Riley. But they gave up some.
Speaker 1: Really good prospects for him, and I kind of wanted to go why they why they did that, and it was really the Marlins. I mean, first of Bradon Taylor was he and Henry Lelange both who got moved, which is pretty fascinating. Where my two bounce back players of the year, Adrian's antana is a few milkshakes away from putting on weight and hitting with more power and having a chance to be cg abrams that the profiles of them are really similar, and then Jacob Kissing is actually a pretty good player. So why did they give up so much for Liampicks? Because they could? To me, and over the last two seasons, they've been accumulating players prospects just and I know because that's that's what I do. And many of them are coming up this December. That they either got to be put on the forty man or DFAD and put on the Rule five draft, and they needed to trim their minor leagues, particularly experienced minor leaguers, and that's what they've been doing. So a lot of the trades they did, they overpaid because they could to get the guy they wanted, and it helped them free up their forty man problem that the Dodgers are constantly doing this. They did a trade.
Speaker 2: Oh, I forgot who was it, the the guy that's hurt.
Speaker 1: They traded the guy that's some some starting pitchers. Oh oh, Chris Bubeck. They they traded for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they yeah, they yeah for Chris buck Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they they acquired Chris Bubeck, who's a good picture. You take a look at his data, it's it's better stopped than you think. But there's a chance he won't pitch in the season and he is, uh, he's gonna be a free agent in twenty twenty seven. Well why do this? Well, they're over the lem I mean, they got to make card decisions as well. So they move Carlos duran who's a guy that's on their forty man out. He's not going to be on their forty man because there's gonna be other guys that replace him. So they took a gamble that bu Beck gets healthy sometime in August can help them in the playoffs or at the end of the season.
Speaker 2: And maybe he likes it.
Speaker 1: They're so much that he's you know, signs a team from the who knows, and Carlos Durant is a guy that is, you know, not going to not going to make the forty man and the Dodgers because of the situation and they were able to make this trade. No other team would have done that besides the Rays, I mean, and take that.
Speaker 2: Kind of risk.
Speaker 1: So now that you know the Royals good a guy that might turn into something with it for a player that was going to give them a zero going into next season, that's where that deal was made. I thought that was actually pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and then yeah, and you know the Dodger side got something for nothingsrctly. Yeah, and if it turns out nothing for nothing, that's where they were in the first place.
Speaker 1: That's right. It just cost him. I I think it was half a million dollars in whatever the pro rated salary for Chris Buba. That's all it cost them. And to me, if I'm running that team, I'm taking I'm doing that deal every day of the week if I'm the Dodgers, because all it did was cost me money. And if for some reason he gets healthy, Timmy, you got yourself a pretty good pitcher that could be a long man you know the playoffs, and that's not bad.
Speaker 2: Well, and You know what, when you start looking at Liam Liam Hicks that trade, the Marlins have got themselves, Joe Mack. They're set at Catcher for the next five six years, right with Mac. So you know, moving Liam Hicks makes total sense, doesn't it. And the race picking up Liam Hex makes sense because there are two gadgets prior to that, where Nick's Nick Fortis and Kenneth Piper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's an upgrade.
Speaker 1: That's an upgrade. Let's take our final break to me, then we'll finish up. Let's finish up now that we'll take our final break in on a happy note, because I think I sent you my right up on the Rockies trades. I know I beat up on them all the time, but I truly don't know what they're doing. Look, they the Marlins acquired Victor vod Neck, who's got a great army. He's kind of in that Zephyr John and Eric Miller kind of guy, you know, big Hunt mont Our guys. And they get cornered Connor Norby that nobody wants. He's not very good. And then you know, Aiden May is a right handed picture that's going to get destroyed when he gets to uh to Colorado, and then and then they they they traded Brenton Doyle and yeah, that pretty much nothing in return. I Mason Adams who's going to get destroyed, and Carlo's Vielma, who maybe turns into something is I think he's an eight seventeen year old Dominican kid. But like, what are they doing? I mean, what what are they doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Wf okay, I mean like yeah, yeah, no, hey, I love what the White Sox did there. Yeah, it makes a whole lot of sense, total total. Yes, yeah, there's something or other change change of scenery. I'm not saying we're gonna look at the twenty third to thirty version of Brenton Doyle moving forward, But why not take a chance from the cost is what it is? Why not pick up a senzatela? You know what I mean? Yeah, it's yeah, this was the last paper, This was.
Speaker 1: The last paragraph I wrote. Oh, this was on the Brent Doyle trade. If I'm reading this correctly, the Rockies traded a legitimate big league big league player flawed but useful for a twenty one year old minor leaguer arm who will get eatn the live in Colorado and a sixteen year old lottery ticket that fits perfectly with what we've come to expect from them, hands down with for the White Socks. Even if Doyle doesn't work out, it's smart, low risk gamble.
Speaker 2: I that's a smart, low risk gamble. Yeah, it's the white Sox will survive with old Adams and Vielma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a sixteen years old. He turned seventeen. I think in the next week or next month. I mean, it's okay if you turned out.
Speaker 2: Three years until drinking legal drinking, that's right.
Speaker 1: If he turns out to be Byron Buxton, I will, I will admit that I was wrong, But I mean, come on, it's just I think they have no idea what they're doing. To me. It's clear they they've all left out, so they decided to make some deals, and.
Speaker 2: You know it must be they're still left they're still left out rich. Yeah, I know, after making after making medal. Bye, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's bad, all right to me, I say, or finally break it back, and I want to know your favorite trade and the guy that you can be maybe picking up this week, and maybe you don't know that answer yet, but I'd love to hear your opinion on that. I'm worn out to him. I haven't showered and.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the last time I've showered, but I'm going to.
Speaker 1: I am going to go get an ice cream and eat an ice cream, and then I'm going to take a shower and just sit and do nothing for our Patreon members. I'm sorry, I doubt there will be notes tomorrow. I just I'm tired of looking at a keyboard.
Speaker 2: MM. Yes, I can perfectly understand that.
Speaker 1: All right, Tim, wrap it up for me. What strade did you like the best? Who are you going to be targeting this weekend?
Speaker 2: Who am I going to be targeting this weekend? Well, I can tell you one guy I'm going to be targeting, and he didn't have anything to do with trade deadline, and that's actor Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: We got called up.
Speaker 2: Oh, he got called up. There was something that still hasn't so.
Speaker 1: That was my I was going to bring that up. So new Lars noop got moved to ye, so I'm breaking that up. Last night was like one o'clock in the morning. I'm like, oh, great, Lars, let me Joshua. That Joshua Bias is called so then I went scanned the internet. There was no mention of Joshua Bias getting called up. I'm like, come on, come, you got you gotta call him up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brian Torres is playing in the oakfield. I saw that, Yes, so did I. I cursed it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know you.
Speaker 2: Already hear something hilarious, rich, Okay, in tote, Okay, I I had a choice, okay, between Biaz and Rodriguez. I have both of them in tot on my bench. Okay, I know exactly what. No, I didn't, I didn't drop them. I started the wrong one.
Speaker 1: Okay, same difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I started Bias expecting him to get called Rodriguez gets called up at least Friday. I can correct it. And the guy I put on my bench to do all of it was Tommy Edmund doing it at Home Run last night, like come on, slot, slap me in the app or you know what I mean. It's like one of those shots to the back of the head. Oh. I could not I could not believe how wrong that actually ended up working out. But Rodriguez is a guy that I'm going to be targeting from all the trades. Hey, buy sterios. I'm gonna look for bia Steros. I'm going to look for anybody that I think and I haven't had time to go through absolutely everything yet, but I'm going to look for people who are going to play full time. I'm gonna be able to get cheap. That's what I'm going to be doing, and everybody else will be doing the same thing. Bullpens Hey Andrew Andrew kit Kittridge looks like he's a closer in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: I know. I Yeah, I should have picked him up a couple of weeks ago when I saw you he was starting to get the gig.
Speaker 2: The guy that I picked up.
Speaker 1: For the closer such obviously, if Luke Weaver's available, that's the you gotta pick them up. Feels like Kate Smith from last season AFT, when uh the guy got what was so quickly we forget who was the closer for years in Cleveland that got busted? Uh for the uh yeah him gambling? Yeah, I can't even remember. I'm too tired to think. But my guy is Yovanni Cruz. That's the guy I'm going to be targeting. Targeted him last week, I got him in a couple of weeks. He's in Washington, is coming from the Yankees one hundred miles an hour. Rosters has him sitting in the seventh inname. I think you're going to see him getting some clothes, uh save opportunities here soon and going forward. I think that's the guy. That's the guy for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's you know, Sam Bachman's got the job. If you can you can stay healthy. I think the Angels well yeah, yeah, and there that's Jeff John went gone.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's a good call because I had Bachmann in a lot of leagues and and suffer John, and then I just gave up with both of them because no one was getting any save opportunities because I could go back into the Bakman world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, hey, the Twins picked up Jeff Hoffman, but you Angrys Gomez has been basically lights out there are they's gonna hand it to Hoffin?
Speaker 1: I think they don't.
Speaker 2: I Lord, yeah, yeah, writing that up, I'm just laughing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tim can't be You can't be happy with this for because you know he's gonna get the It's the same same thing with the pirates, right, if you're making a lot of money, you're gonna get the You're gonna get the gig and Hoffin's making a lot of plus he's saved thirty three games last year.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, he was up down, all over the place all year. Yeah. Yeah, they ain't a movie after him, the semi good, the bad, and the ugly. Okay, yeah, he was all over the He might again.
Speaker 1: He's not. He might not keep the job. He's going to get a shot at the job, there's no I think.
Speaker 2: So the guy that I really like and that I want, and I'm going to be chasing all over the place. I've already picked him up in one league I play in this fast Finger or fast Finger like Dylan Smith in San Francisco. Take a look at I think you'll like it.
Speaker 1: That was the guy that I recommended and to our Patreon members going through once Eric Miller got moved. So there's two guys out there, and I think I think he was the one that I said, I mean, the guy that he's competing with. Let me make sure I got it right.
Speaker 2: So you yeah, my model for the guy he's competing against is a win. Is never a win with win a.
Speaker 1: Win, that's that's a yes, Kate win, And thank you. I knew.
Speaker 2: Eric Miller. Eric Miller went where Miller Boston, Boston. He's the number four guy, haven't you remember? You might want to hold on to him though Rich Red sucks.
Speaker 1: It sucks adle Rich. I don't know, Timmy, I'll go with you. Yeah whatever, I definitely wrote about it. Who knows. Listen to Tim, you know it's more than me anyway, Timmy, I beat. It was a lot of fun. Thanks for doing this podcast. I again, I encourage everybody joined us at the Patreon. Tim and I working our asses off for trying to bring good content. I'm having a blast.
Speaker 2: I'm having a lot of fun too. The group of the Discord the discord chat was lively all day, and I've expanded my humor repertoire courtesy of several of the gut I sit there. They they're pretty sure we had a lot of fun. So hey, hats hats off to everybody that attended yesterday. It was a great time, a lot of fun, and hey, what can I What can I say? I would definitely be doing the same thing at same time next year. Good Lord Willing. It was. It was worth it, just talking up the game and chatting all the moves as they actually trans fired and getting getting different thoughts and opinions. It's a lot of fun, it really is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My three favorite days of the baseball season Opening Day number one, uh, spring Training, open Day, maybe two, and then definitely three. Two or three would be the yesterday, the deadline. I just I love it. It's exciting, there's hope in the air. I mean it's it's it's the same as like Opening Day. You've got teams that are getting these kids and now there's hope for the future. And you get Casey miz and you think you're going to make it into the playoffs. It's just a win win everywhere. I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But for me, I lean to more. It's more of the fantasy side. Like I like Opening Day, but it's behind Draft Day, and it's behind trade deadline day and then Opening Day. It's just my fantasy roots. I am sitting down and doing that for draft on a sixty seventy second clock and read draft leads. Yeah, that to me is yes, but don't you.
Speaker 1: Think that yes? Or well just a day Tuesday Sunday's waiver war was very important because there's a couple of guys that you grow. Isn't this Sunday's waiver war going to be really important based on you know, the guys that have moved around, to the opportunities and all the things that we've talked about. That's a really important day.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is in a big way. And I'm just you know, I've already got the article written and pick up everybody who's going to play full time after the trade deadline and search out closers. Okay, they inherited a job, simple article, rich, right, but.
Speaker 1: That comes from the deadline day. That's I mean, that's Sunday everything does everything.
Speaker 2: Yeh, yeah, No, guaranteed you can solve your staves problem next week and you're going to be able to survive to all. So fill it in some holes very nicely. On the offensive side of things, the only the only thing starting pitching. No, it's going to be all about the bullpends and finding bats, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's about finding the closer that's that's going to get the job, and then some bats and then who's what's opening up because the guys moves on. I thought we might see the center fielder from uh from the Rets from the Mets come back came up for a brief spell earlier this season. But then I saw that Lewis robertson, Yeah, Louis Robert j not him, I was. I saw that he's now healthy again. Let me tell you that.
Speaker 2: Was a bit of a surprise. I thought they'd try and move Robert. Maybe there was no interest.
Speaker 1: It might be the same as Devin Williams. I'm thinking Nick Moore be. It would have been nice to see.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so, but yeah, it's not to happen, mm hmm. Yeah, because let's face it, the future of that team is going to be based around a j Ewing and Carson Binge.
Speaker 1: And well, come on, I think it's also Lonsto. I mean I think that's.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's a given.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so's look, I think if they're smarter this time, but they're gonna they won't be. They're just gonna go in and spend like drunk and sailors over the off season and clog it up again.
Speaker 2: And you know what a positive note, the club host Karen has got to be better now because Sodo is on the IL, right, Yeah, I guess so, I guess so, yeah, that is a round.
Speaker 1: I gotta go get my ice cream. Tim, Thank you, for doing this everybody. I hope you enjoyed it. Patreon members, I hope you enjoyed all the content coming out. I think there was probably forty thousand words I wrote in three days.
Speaker 2: Wait, it was to it was crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So all right, my friend, we'll talk to you on either Friday or Sunday. We'll figure out we've got enough content for Friday, and then we'll do it again.
Speaker 2: Okay, sounds good. Be safe, be well, and rest those fingers up. They definitely needed my friend,