Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. All right, Tim, we are joined by one of my all time favorite Italian Americans, Tommy Lesorda. Used to say I like him because I'm Italian, not because he's Italian. And with my mom being born in Trieste, Italy, obviously we have a strong connection to any great Italian Americans who have built this country, no doubt about it. He is fifth all time in wins as a manager. Can you believe there's only one person on this earth that can say he had two thousand hits as a player and at least two thousand wins as a manager. He's a batting champion, he's a two time Manager of the Year, he's a nine time All Star, and more importantly, he's a champion, a four time World Series champion with the Yankees. And that is former Dodger manager Joe Tory. Joe, great to have you, and man, it is awesome to have you back in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: You know, David, it's great coming back. You know you you come to Los Angeles and I know when I left, when I left the Yankees and had the opportunity to come out here, you don't know really what to expect. You know. The first thing that comes to your mind is that when I was a player, you couldn't escape. It was always drysdown in Kofax. So it was a little frightening to come out here at that time. The one thing I did learn when I came out here is the passion the fans have. And you know, I know the Lakers are huge and uh, but the Dodgers really have a following that that was was so reassuring for me.
Speaker 1: Joe. I saw you from across Camelback Ranch this spring. You obviously were patrolling those fields when you were managing the Dodgers. Were you taken aback by the popularity of the Dodgers even in spring training?
Speaker 2: You know. I was fortunate enough David to come on board in two thousand and eight when they were still in Bureau, and I got a little taste of the history. You know. You walk in in through that clubhouse and you see all the photos from the Dodger teams that I used to hate because I was a Giants fan, But you always respected, you know, because they were always there. I know, they said wait till next year, Wait till next year. And they finally won a World Series in fifty five. But they were always right there on the precipice. And you know, whether you liked them or you didn't like him, they were always there and you had to respect that fact.
Speaker 1: Joe. Before we get back into baseball, I definitely want to shine a light on the reason why you are back in Los Angeles. It's your annual Joe Tory Safe at Home Gala, which is coming up this Thursday. And this is a special one because the proceeds to fit Safe at Homes Margaret's place, and with the fires that have displaced not only families but students, a lot of these proceeds are going to to help build a safe safe at Home at the Series building on Third Street Promenade for all those Pally High kids and the kids that are affected from K through twelve.
Speaker 2: Well, it was so devastating. I mean, we my wife Ali and I came through La actually right at the at the start of the fires. We were on our way to Hawaii, and it just was devastating. It was so frightening. And then to see the result, you know, and of course last time I was here, we went out to Pally Hide. You know, just hang out with the with the baseball team. And Billy Crystal was nice enough to come out and join me, and we had a little, you know, a little chat with the baseball team, you know, because it's devastating all of a sudden, you know, you're a young man, you're going to school, you're playing on the baseball team, and all of a sudden your school is gone. It's you know, it's frightening. But the one thing about it, and we tried, Billy and I tried to did stress to the team. You know, that's that really reunites you and unites you, I should say, unite you together and you rely on each other because it's tough going through life by yourself. And then, you know, I think the team concept really really was magnified at this point in time. But it was so devastating what happened in LA And I'm just pleased now that we, you know, we were able to do some good and go out and talk to the kids at tally and in fact, I'm gonna, you know, head over there tomorrow to spend some time. But it was it was great that they were able to you know, have a Margaret's place Margaret's Place obviously is named after my mom and be there for the kids because that's our future, David, as you know, and you know, we're we're pleased to do it, and I'm very touched that you know that it's been received so well in the in the LA area. We have we have more Margaret's Places in schools here in Los Angeles than we do in New York. And that's where that's where we originally got started.
Speaker 1: That's really special. Eighteen Margaret's Places in the area of southern California, Los Angeles. And to support this great cause that Joe Tory started in honor of his mother, go to Joetorry dot org and Joe, like you said, as adults, we always have to worry about how we're going to support the family when disasters like this happened in Alta Dina and the Palisades. But through your own experience, sometimes the kids are the ones that we forget, and those are the ones that have a lot of trauma that they need a place like Margaret's Place to go to.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, I grew up with that and that's how we originally came to start our Safe at Home Foundation. My dad was abusive to my mom. I never was physically abused, but you know, I learned as a grown up. You know, first off, I was a very shy kid. I didn't even go out, didn't even go out for the high school baseball team as a freshman because I didn't think I was good enough. So I come to learn out later on that, you know what, my dad, the fear that he brought to the home, our home every day, took a on me. Even though I wasn't physically abused. The emotional scars that they that never go away, and once I was able to, you know, feel I needed to talk about it, it was something I kept inside. And having a Margaret's Place gives these youngsters a chance to realize they're not alone and they're not the only ones that are going through this, So that, you know, if I think back, and you know, had some place to go or share it with anybody, because I never did share it with any of my friends growing up. And I just felt very blessed that I had the ability to play baseball because it gave me a place to hide.
Speaker 1: Jill, like you said, you didn't have a Margaret's Place, You didn't have a Joe Tory that would set up eighteen in Los Angeles or New York. Where did you turn the corner in your life? Where did you find that inner strength?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, as interesting. I was just I was with the Cardinals and I was fired in June of ninety five and my wife, Ali was pregnant with our daughter, Andrea, and we were living in Cincinnati at the time because when I was fired in Saint Louis, my Ali is from Cincinnati and she has plenty of family there. So I knew if I was going to go look for a job that she was going to be surrounded by family. I wouldn't leave her, you know, by herself. So we moved to Cincinnati and then it was like late November. There was like a seminar that was going on at a holiday inn symposium type thing, and Ali says to me, you want to go with me? Well, she's eight months pregnant. I'm not about to say no to anything she asked me to do. And we went to this holiday end and it turned out to be like a self help type of situation, a four day affair, and what it amounted to is if like if you wanted to quit smoking, or or some you know self help area where you you needed some help doing those things. That's what it was there for. As soon as you walk in the front door, they separated Ally and I and they put us in a group of six or eight people. And you know, I think it was day two or three that there was a speaker. And I can't tell you what he said. The only thing I could tell you is that he struck a nerve with me. Now, I thought I was born with this nervousness and and and the low self esteem, and just from what this speaker was talking about was letting me know that what my dad was doing to us in the home is what caused it. And it just freed me up to talk about it. Even though to this day it's still emotional for me, but at least I know it was something that happened to me, you know, during my lifetime, as opposed to being born this way, and it was something I was embarrassed to talk about before. But once I realized what the cause was, I wanted to share it. And you know, I remember the first school that we went to, you know, when we were just starting safe at home in New York, and I was talking to a classroom of young people, and I said, we'll talk to We'll talk baseball in a minute, because there was a camera crew that it followed us to do some b roll for our dinner, our first dinner, and I said, I'll talk about baseball in a minute. I said, but I just want to let you know what this camera crew is doing here. And I started talking about my dad was doing my mom and I looked out there and there was probably six or eight kids shaking their head yes. In other words, they know what I'm talking about. So I knew we struck a nerve at that point in time. And it was my wife who really had the idea to do, you know, start a foundation and do it through education, because if we're going to do our part to try to end the cycle of domestic violence, I think education is the way you have to, you know, go about it, because young people, if their only role model is an abusive parent, you'll let them know that that's not the right way to go about your life. So we realized that we struck a nerve. We touch a lot of kids, and we have twenty five thirty thousand kids that we're able to reach every year and It's been really really great feeling for me because we know what we do works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really powerful, Joe, and I'm sure many of us would be surprised how many people we interact with that have been either physically or emotionally abused at home as a kid. And it's beautiful that Joe Torre and his wife Ali have started this safe at home program and you can support them at joetory dot org. They have eighteen Margaret places here in Los Angeles and they are trying to help those that were displaced, those kids that were displaced by the fires in Altadena and the Pacific Palisades. Toy is our guest, and Joe, since you're with us, I got to ask you. There's been so much hype around the Dodgers, and there's been so much talk about trying to do something that only your Yankees have done in the last twenty five years, and that's repeat as champions. What does it take to repeat as world champions in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 2: You know, that's a great question, David. You know, even the Red Sox, when you know, when we had that rivalry all the time in New York, the Red Sox when they was you know, finally did win a World Series, and then they won another World Series in another World Series, but they had trouble repeating. I think, you know, I don't know if it's just social media, but that's a big part of it. You know, you set your goals and you know when you finally, you know, achieve winning a World Series. I can't say you celebrate it all the time, but you know, if you if you say, you know, you reach the top of the mountain and you sort of exhale, it's so important to realize that you have to validate that and you still have to go and start all over again the next spring and realize that, you know, you have to prove that what you did last year was not a fluke. And that was that was my mentality my first meeting, believe it or not, David with the Yankees, which I was very nervous to give because I knew how important it was if I was going to go into that situation, especially to a ball club that had gone to the playoffs the year before. H and I had I had said and that I don't want to win one World Series, I want to win three in a row. And I said that based on the based on the fact that you know, I've watched all sports. I've watched you know, the team win the Super Bowl and then all of a sudden disappear the next year, and I just had a sense that, you know, we're not finished working at it. I think once you stop to admire what you've accomplished, you stop doing it. And I had a good group obviously that just never got tired of winning and just felt an obligation to go out there and and try to get you know, get back to the top of the mountain again.
Speaker 1: Being around these Dodgers, it doesn't seem like there's complacency, Joe, but it is a long regular season to even get to October. How did you treat the one hundred and sixty two game marathon the following year?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, he goes and you know, you've got the great manager, Dave Roberts, who you know, he always has that half full attitude, the glass half full. You know, you you really have to find a way to get things done. You can't dwell on things you don't have. You just have to, you know, accentuate the things you do have. My first year, we lost David Cohne, early in the year he had an aneurysm, and I remember Don Zimmer saying to me, you know, if we lose Cone, we're you know, we're in big trouble. But you have to find a way to move on. You know, you just that that that's the nature of the Beasts. You know, you work for six seven weeks in spring training, you get get ready for the season, and you owe it to yourself, You owe it to your team, and you owe it to the fans to go out there and find a way to get it done. And Dave Roberts is that guy in my mind, even though I didn't like him very much when he sold Second DA in four but I got over that. Finally got all that, by.
Speaker 1: The way, and how many years later, I.
Speaker 2: Still have wake. You know, I still wake in the middle of the night sometimes, but I maybe it'll roll over. So but it's it's it's not easy to do. Uh. You know, once you get to the top of the mountain, everybody's shooting at you. And they they always put on their Sunday best when they play you because they know it's a feather in their cap if they beat the Dodgers and they're the world champs. So it's just it's just something that you know, you you've got to you know, have a strong backbone and uh and understand, nobody's gonna feel sorry for you, so you better get out there and work hards.
Speaker 1: Great wisdom from experience from one of the great men to ever put on the uniform as a player or a manager, and that is the one and only Joe Tory. Joe, thank you so much for the time and man, thank you again for doing what you're doing in Los Angeles. The Safe at Home Gala is on Thursday. If you'd like to attend or donate to a great cause that is helping so many kids out there, go to Joetory dot org. Joe, hope to see you out the ballpark soon and don't be a stranger.
Speaker 2: You'll see me there to night, David. I'm coming out to watch a ballgame and I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's great, Joe, I can't wait to see you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your time anytime. Take care,