Speaker 1: It's Maria's MutS and Stuff.
Speaker 2: What a great idea.
Speaker 1: On iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Maria's Mutts and Stuff.
Speaker 3: And with me today is herb farmer and author and gardening expert Bevin Cohen, and we're going to talk about his I love this book, Herbs in Every Season, So Bevin, thank you for taking the time out to talk about your book.
Speaker 2: It just came out recently, correct it did.
Speaker 1: Maria, thank you so much for having me on the show. It did. The book came out March twenty five, so it's very brand new.
Speaker 2: It's very brand new. Well, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I you know, I live in an apartment, but I love to garden on my terrace in my you know, in flower pots, and I do like to grow herbs here and there.
Speaker 2: But I just found it very educational.
Speaker 3: I love that you have it in four parts according to the seasons. So what made you just like what made you decide to write the book?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I've written a number of books out plants over the years, some herbs specifics, some fruits and vegetables, all sorts of different variations of topics of plants. And you know, I was working with Timber Pressors, my publisher, on this book, and we were kind of just knocking some ideas around and I thought, you know, back in twenty twenty one, I had written a book called The Artists and Herbalists, and we'd explored thirty eight different herbs throughout the book, and I thought, Man, I would really love to kind of revisit that and dig a little bit deeper into the concepts that we explored in that book. But I'd really like to do it from this seasonal lens. You know, that's the way that you know nature on folds is through through these seasons and these cycles. And I thought, to help people understand plants and the way that we interact with them, we need to really approach it through these natural cycles. Actually, you know, they were on board with the concept, and you know, we're kind of unfolded. It's those books, but many years in the making, most certainly, and I'm just so excited to get it out there and to share it with folks and to help people learn to observe these seasonal cycles of nature, whether they be the seasons for the plants or the seasons that we experience ourselves. You know, the seasons of our lives.
Speaker 2: These sure, you.
Speaker 1: Know, the as we change the plants that we need changes as well. So we really had this opportunity to explore that, and it was just it was such a fun process, I'm sure, I mean.
Speaker 3: And that's also a very unique way to do it, because I mean we always talk about seasons of life, like, oh, well, that person's in the fall of his life, you know, So it just it makes sense to have a book about herbs in the same way, because you're right, we all live through seasons, whether it's through gardening or just through our lives.
Speaker 2: Do you have a favorite season?
Speaker 1: Well, whatever season I'm in the middle of, I know it would be hard to pick a favorite. I think that I really enjoyed the energy of spring. Spring is a really special time, you know, everything's kind of coming back to life. That's very exciting as you can feel the energy in the air. But on the same side of that, I really appreciate the winter season, you know. I love the rast and reflection. You know, all of those seasons I think are special because of the other seasons around them. Right. We appreciate spring because of winter, sure, and we appreciate fall because of summer, and so I think that that relationship between the seasons is important too.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 3: And I just I like the way you like you said you made notes about what happens in the season, like when the winter comes and things die, and it's also a RESTful time.
Speaker 2: But I feel like it's the same for humans as it is for gardening. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: It is? Yeah, Oh absolutely, there's so many parallels. You know, we tend to think of ourselves as like separate from the natural worlds for some reasons, right, or that's obviously not the case, right, Yeah, not at all. This is just kind of a fun way to explore that. When I teach people about plants, you know, I've been I've been teaching people about gardening and growing and working with plants for many years now, and at the heart of the teacher is really this concept of relationships, you know, the relationships that we have with plants, the relationships that plants have with each other, whatever it might be. And I think that by slowing down our busy lives to find the time to make these observations as really integral part of developing these relationships, and it helps us to see the world around us and at the same time ourselves in a whole new way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely absolutely, And you know what I really enjoyed about it too, is I for many, many, many years, as I'm sure at you as well, I would prefer to use homeopathic cures for rather than take medicine when it comes to say, an injury, Like I learned about arnica a million years ago from a friend of mine in like a boot camp gym, you know, And I had an injury and my friend was like, oh, go get Arnica, which and this is years ago, which of course I had never heard of it. And I went to the health food store and found it, and it's like a miracle drug, but it's not a drug. So it's it's I love the fact that you explored and let people know about all these different and all these different remedies for things that probably like our great grandparents did as well.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely. But even if we want to think about modern medicine, many of our modern medicines originally were derived from plants.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, some of.
Speaker 1: Them still are, and now there's maybe are like synthetically creative now or whatever it might be. But originally all medicine came from plants. So yeah, you're right, we did want to explore that in the book as well. We wanted people to see that nature and in this case, in this book, herbs specifically can provide us for almost all of our needs, whether it be for our health or for our beauty. But also we explore the uses of the herbs in the kitchen as well. Yes, you know, so, it's really it's it's a lifestyle, is what. We're exploring, a lifestyle.
Speaker 2: With herbs, right, And as you said, it's a love letter to Mother Nature. As you said, you.
Speaker 1: It's sure, sure, you know. I mean, if it wasn't for her, we wouldn't have much would.
Speaker 2: No, we would not, We would not.
Speaker 3: So when you were I mean, and of course it's hard to ask you this only because you're an I feel like you are I feel like but you are an expert when it comes to herbs and all that they do. Was there anything as you were preparing the book, And the answer is probably going to be no, that you you learned that you didn't you never realized.
Speaker 1: Oh, actually so much, okay, I learned so much working on the book. You know, there's a lifetime of learning to be had, and I've been working with plants for so long now that folks do refer to me as an expert. But oh no, there's always so much more to learn. There are so many things to learn about plants. So for me to write this book through this lens of the season, I had to do exactly what I was preaching Murray. I had to slow myself down and observe not only the things around me, but observe the way that I observed the things around me so I could properly write about them. And it was just it was such an eye opening experience for me to really take the time to say, practice what I preach, right. But I learned a lot of stuff about plants.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Through the book, there's so many different recipes for all of the aspects, the medicinal and the beauty in the culinary, And it was the culinary recipes that really pushed me outside of my comfort zone. Wow, all of these new different foods. I wanted to do recipes that were familiar to folks, things that they you know, they would know techniques that they might use. But then I thought, well, let's kind of really push the envelope here. Let's try some really outside ideas, let's really explore what these plants can do for us. So I was learning many new things in the kitchen to working as we developed these recipes, and it was so much fun to take a lifetime of experience and really challenge it and say, well, you know this much stuff, what can you do with it? And really make myself try something new, which is really another message at the heart of the book, right is to be to be confident and brave enough to try new things.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: So now when you tried these new recipes, uh, was it just you tasting them? Or did you put it out to your family too? And they had to experience it as well?
Speaker 1: Everybody?
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: I yeah, well, you know, I get in my own little bubble and you know, I might think something is great, but that only goes so far. I needed to see what other people thought about the recipes as well, you know, So not only tasting the recipes, but then take this recipe home and you try to make it, and the can you follow this recipe all the way through? Is it going to function for you? Is it easy enough to follow? Did the results work out for you? You know? So we could really test these recipes, sure on all levels. Sure that was a really important part of it.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course, And so I would assume that for all the recipes that are in the book, all of you are on the same page with say the simplicity of it, or it worked success.
Speaker 2: To make it into the book, right, you're on the same page.
Speaker 1: You got it? Yeah, absolutely, the recipes that I didn't.
Speaker 2: Make the cut, you know, oh really could you?
Speaker 3: Is there anything that you off the top of your head that didn't make the cut?
Speaker 1: Not off the top of my head. But you know, some of the recipes as you work through them, you know, they kind of have to maybe get tweaked to people's taste, sure, right, like I might be a little heavy on the spice or a little little light on the salt or whatever. It might be, right right, And we had to find a place where it was it was a recipe that could be agreeable for most palettes. That's very now. We can't please everybody all the time, but we wanted to make it as universal as possible. But again with that caveat that make this recipe, see how you feel about it, and then feel free to change it, make it your own experience. New things and just use this as sort of your starting point to a whole world of adventure that hopefully this book can unlock for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean honestly, Like, for example, my grandmother used to make dandelions all the time when I was a kid, and you know, growing up, dandelions were weeds. You know, people are always so those are weeds on your lawn. But meantime, my grandmother from Italy used to make them and eat them all the time. And then there they were dandelions in the spring part of your book, and I was like, yay, you can eat dandelions. So your book has actually given me the confidence. Now I'm going to make dandelions like my grandmother used to do.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's awesome. That's so cool, you know. And we did want to try to talk about some of those wild plants as well, because even like you mentioned, you know, you have a very small space for growing. You've got to grow things and containers or whatever. So of course we talk about cultivated herbs and many of which could grow a containers, but I also wanted to talk about wild plants. So you don't have to be a gardener, you don't have to have a space for a garden, and you can still have this opportunity to explore all of the wonders of the wild world.
Speaker 2: Sure exactly.
Speaker 3: And also for along that same line, for someone who doesn't have any of a green thumb at all, but they go to the supermarket all the time and they're in the area with all the spices, I think your book might give people the courage to go outside of their comfort zone, trying out spices that they maybe they might have seen or heard about but they never really used it. For example, Like, for example, I saw and I use coriander a lot, and I didn't realize it's good for bloating and gas because you had that in your book. So for the person right right, So for someone who is like, oh, I don't know, I never used that before, but your book kind of gives them the courage to, well, try something new. You might actually really like it and it's going to be good for you health reason as well. Well.
Speaker 1: I really hope that it does that, because that was ultimately what I wanted, was to give people the courage to try new things. We do talk about a lot of different spices and foods. The folks may already even have in the home, things like coriander, federal cinnamon green tea. These are things that like you might likely already have in your cupboard at home, and you don't even realize all the potential that this plant has for you. And you can get it out and you'll see it from a whole new perspective. That's it, right, a whole new recipe it. You know, it could be really eye opening and you know fun. Ultimately, that's what we want to do is have a good time. Absolutely, we want to be healthy, we want to experience the natural world, but we want to enjoy it and have a good time.
Speaker 3: No, for sure, that's exactly how I felt, because I would, like I said, with the dandelions, and there were other parts too that I.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh, I'm going to make tea with that. I never thought of that. Thanks Bevin.
Speaker 3: So you know, it's like it just it was very informative but also eye opening.
Speaker 2: So I think that's it's a good thing.
Speaker 3: And even for someone say who has no interest in gardening or doesn't have the space to do that, I think your book in so many ways is educational for people. So thanks for writing it.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that well, thank you and thank you to many folks. If we're going to say thanks, i'd like to say thank you Timber Press of course for allowing me to write it. And also we have to give a shout out to our photographer, Miriam Don't. Yes, yes, she came all the way to Michigan from Chicago, and I mean she did such an amazing job just to capture the magic and mystery of these plants in such a unique way. Yes, I think the visually what she was able to accomplish is a very big part of the final product, for sure.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, No, absolutely, the photos are just they're stunning actually, to go along with your descriptions and everything, it's just it's perfect. It's win win between the two of you. So I think you did an excellent job. So tell me, Bevin, what's next for you? I mean, I know your book just came out, but I have to ask you. I'm sure, because I don't think you sit still. So what is next on your agenda?
Speaker 1: You got that right. We don't have a lot of time. Its isstill around here. We're very busy. Well, so the book just came out, so I am actively on the road talking about the book, doing presentations. You know, we have a lot of educational programming that takes place in the spring, so I'm doing a lot of traveling right now to different places to talk about plans and then talk about the book and that sort of thing. It's also spring, so our homestead chores are just kicking off as well, So we're getting seed started, we're getting planting. There's so much happening right now in the moment that it's almost difficult to look ahead right to what is going to be happening right but we are working already on another book project that is more seed specific, a seed saving guide, So we're actually it's a very interesting predicament that we're finding ourselves in because we have to take photos of all of these different seeds, and what we're trying to capture is different flower structures, different different species, seed formations, and that sort of thing. So we're plotting, planting, designing, and planting a garden specifically to showcase as many different species of seed production as we possibly can for our photographer that's coming for the book. Yeah, so it has been quite an endeavor, I'm sure, but again, it's so much.
Speaker 2: Fun, you know, exactly we've been.
Speaker 1: Gardening here at Small House Farm. We're going on, Oh my gosh, this may be a twelfth or thirteenth season. Wow, nice and yeah, had to be doing something completely different in the garden this year. It's it's invigorating, it's exciting. Of course, it's looks like a new season of our life exactly.
Speaker 3: And also it's because you love it. So it's not like it's work for you because you love doing it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not bad, right.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. What's that old saying?
Speaker 3: I always tell people love what you do and do what you love, and you're a prime example, so more power to you.
Speaker 2: I think it's awesome. No, but it's true. And you can feel that in your book.
Speaker 3: You know, like the way you describe things, and you're like, oh, he just loves what he's saying. Right here, I can tell so I love this book, So Bevin, Where can my listeners get the book?
Speaker 2: Bookstores? Online? What's the best place for them? Oh?
Speaker 1: Most certainly. The book Herbs and Every Season is available absolutely anywhere the books are sold. So you can get it through bookshop, you can get in other online places. You can get it through your bookstores. Go to your local bookstore, ask them to bring it in if they don't have it, and they certainly will for you, and then if they wanted to connect with us, we have copies of the book that we offer to our website, which is just simply Smallhousefarm dot com.
Speaker 2: Perfect Well, Bevin Cohen, all the best to you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for chatting with me, good luck promoting the book, and I think we'll talk again with your seeds project next, So thank you.
Speaker 1: This sounds great, Maria, Thank you so much