Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 1: Two nothing.
Speaker 2: It's Alva not so fast co Hole Breath with John Taylor.
Speaker 3: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner.
Speaker 1: Of two Man Loose and Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree, little Ricky. If I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on those Jerry years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 3: Ten o'clock in downtown Vancouver, the Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dollywolf. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man of the controls or director. The voice of God is Derek Wan.
Speaker 1: How are you lovely? Couldn't be better?
Speaker 3: Any Mahultra, new head coach of the Canucks twenty third head coach In Vanker of the Canucks history, was scheduled to be on the show today. That's not going to happen. He's going to join us tomorrow, our first Canucks guest in two years. We had a few technical issues. We're able to make it happen, but of course, but it will happen tomorrow. We've been waiting for a Canucks guest through the Canucks for a long time. We get Canucks guests every once in a while through when they were whenever they're playing whatever the players are playing for their national teams. But this was our first Knuck aided guest in a long time, and it's going to happen tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Technical difficulties, and I want to thank the Canucks for they actually tried two different time slots to get Manny in. We finally fixed ouration.
Speaker 3: We also want to thank Derek Kong and Ryan Henderson us having a show today period, It almost didn't happen. For people who don't know. Our studios in Vanker. Our main studio, Czech studio is in Victoria, Victoria. As you've probably figured out if you've been watching over the five over the five years of the show, five plus years of the show, every once in a while we have a technical difficulty because of that. Okay, let's get onto the news. So Manny tomorrow on the show come through head coach in Vancouver Canucks history. Well, don't say done, don't don't, don't jinx it, Okay, json some news that sprung this morning. First of all, the NHL and a lot of people have been calling for this for a long long time. Just four preseason games starting next season. So the Canucks haven't announced their haven't released their schedule, but the Jets and Oilers have. They're the only two that I've seen amongst the Canadian teams. So we do know this that the Canucks have a home game preseason game against the Oilers on September twenty fourth. Now, now keep in mind the four preseason games, and a lot of people are saying, and look, what's the point of having six seven usually be ten or twelve back in the day and back in the day, and you know, you always think to yourself, well, you know that's great because the players are you know, the better chance of them getting ready for the season. The players come in and tip toe most of them. Some of them don't, as we know here in Vancouver in tip top shape. So do they need, you know, a full training camp like you used to have. If you want to call it full training camp like they used to have back in the day, and you know, a half dozen ten preseason games to get in shape. I think that's something that was valuable in the past, not so much now as far as player evaluation goes, one or two spots maybe up for grabs. They pretty much know who's going to be all they do. There's always there's always an exception, but rarely so. For NHL preseason games starting in the fall, again, we don't know the kind of schedule hasn't been released at this point, the preseason schedule, but we do know they host the Oilers on September twenty fourth. The Orders have released their schedule.
Speaker 1: We're going to say so well, and you mentioned, hey, Braden Kotz was an example of you know, he showed up and made the team last year.
Speaker 3: So Steve Korea back in the day.
Speaker 1: Steve Korea back in the day. So there's always one guy that you know uses training camp to build this case.
Speaker 3: So and keep in mind too, for NHL preseason games, media fans have been calling for for a long time, seemingly ignored by the National Hockey League. What led to this in part people in the media and fans wanting for preseason games, I'm sure, but the regular season is going to eighty four games from eighty two next season. And keep in mind, there were two seasons in the early nineties where the NHL introduced remember this neutral site games. There were two seasons I believe it was two seasons where the NHL had an eighty four game schedule. So this is this is nothing new. I remember Pavel getting his pebble ber his fiftieth goal. I want to see in Hamilton, Yes, in one of those neutral Coloseum Colum, Okay. So something else that happened this morning, A piece of news out of nowhere, nowhere, Jay Woodcroft, Bruce Cassidy, Patrick wat Joe Pavelski. We had all the name names associated with the Toronto Maple Leafs in terms of replacing Craig Bruby as head coach, forty first head coach in Leaf's history. Out of nowhere. Jim Hiller, who spent parts of the last three seasons with the LA Kings as head coach. He had that infamous coaches challenge in the playoffs a couple of years ago that didn't go his way. Might have been his defining moment in LA. People complaining about the type of boring hockey the Kings play. No, not even here anybody mentioned Jim Hiller's name and respect to him. BC boy BC born head coach in leif's history. He's the new head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Nobody had this, Toronto had it. But there's a familiarity. He was an assistant coach, yes, on Mike Babcock's staff, Donnie, so he knows the Matthews and he and the Kneelanders, all those guys. So there's a familiarity there for sure. But this is a name we did not, as somebody said last week, he interviewed with the Orders. But boy, this he came from behind and beat all those guys you mentioned. Jim Hiller, the new head coach of the Maple Leafs, a former head coach in the PCHL. He was with a Chiliac Bruins Alberni Valley, which is where he's from, and also was the head coach of the Tri City Americans. So BC connections with Jim Hiller. Off he goes, he returns. You mentioned it. He was on Babcocks Babcock's coaching staff, and off he goes to the Toronto May Place and you insiders, No nobody.
Speaker 1: Had that, nobody had Hiller. Nobody had them.
Speaker 3: And so are the Leaves in the business. And I hate, you know, spending much of our first segment of the show talking about the Toronto Maple Leafs because I mean this, they get enough attention, this whole thing. But the Calder Cup and sports that, you know, airing all their games when they didn't air nobody Abotsford Canucks. You know, Calder Cup drive last season. Last season, it's funny, like it's border line I laughable. How myopic they are. They they're blind to the rest of the of the country. So I'm not a big fan of that. But Jim Hiller is from BC and he's the new head coach of the the Leafs. Okay, uh, you had some Kentucky information. I want to talk more about this Hockey Night in Canada situation. We'll do that as the show goes on. That hockey in Canada is no more. And I said this yesterday, what's the big deal. It's still going to be on on Saturday nights. We'll still have Saturday night hockey in Canada. But one thing I talked about yesterday, you did too, No big deal. It's still going to be on sports. The name stays with CBC, it's not going to be called hockey. And from what I understand, we'll talk to John Shannon. John will give us a good He's going to join us just after eleven o'clock. John spent multiple years hockey in Canada, director, producer, behind the scenes. He was a big shot at hockey in Canada. We'll get more on that from him, but you have some Canucks information the latest on. Let's start with Teddy Blueger. Who's going to be a scheduled to become a UFA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so very quiet on the Teddy Blueger front. Certainly not seeing urgency here, but things can change quickly with one phone call. Now, the old regime wanted Blueger back big time. Will be interesting to see what Ron Johnson thinks of him. Now we know the Canucks had interest in Michael McCarey and the bottom six center big tough guy can skate. Are the Canucks looking for a heavier set, big center in the bottom six. There is also Philip Heatl To keep in mind when you're talking about centers. I am not hearing anything bad in terms of Heatl's health that would hold him back on from playing next year, one of your favorite players of Philip Eatle, So not hearing anything you had to take that shot at not hearing anything negative in terms of Heatl's.
Speaker 3: Health except for his concussion hit.
Speaker 1: So that's it. The other thing I want to say is North Vancouver's Colt incisions. He could hit the market July first. There is going to be a lot of interest in him not hearing the Canucks have interest incisions right now. Okay, so when you look at the Canucks center ice position, what do they not have done? A ton of size? Their top two centers are small, first line center, Their top two centers are not big. They don't wear teams down. They're small guys. They don't weigh a ton. So are the Canucks trying to get bigger in the bottom six at the center ice position? At Colton's a pretty big guy North Vancouver kid. But anyways, right now, very quiet on Teddy Bluegert and keeping on Derek Forbert too as well.
Speaker 3: Let's stay with centers. I know you want to talk about a defenseman as well, but Elias Petterson somber forty.
Speaker 1: It's that time of the year, lots of chatter. The teams are calling about Ellie's Petterson. When Jim Rutherford was trying to trade Petterson, and this was after giving him the huge contract that you you absolutely loved.
Speaker 3: Ruther, You didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't like it. You didn't like it because you thought it was too little. That's you wanted to make thirty million a year to stop. So Rutherford, take your shots at me. I can. Rutherford signs Peterson and then immediately they're trying to trade the guy. So teams are calling again. Rutherford wanted a top center in return for Petterson when he was here. Not sure Ryan Johnson is looking for that in return, So so how do you move Petterson? Is their retention? What are you looking for in return? Is any team out there willing to take the eleven six on? People say Carolina's got interest in Peterson. They just won the Stanley Cup and they want to add eleven point six million. And for a guy who's gone downhill two years in a row like.
Speaker 3: That ship his sales, Yeah, you just want it? Makes connuckt fans sick. I think that the rumors were it's being reported that they offered up Martin NHS.
Speaker 1: That just and absolutely, and that was close. I will say that that was close. But for people to think Carolina's in on Petterson, they just want the Stanley Cup and they want to add a guy an underachieving, massive, horrible contract.
Speaker 3: Like Eric Telsky sees things in people that other people don't see. Well, the problem here is he sees things in people that aren't making eleven point six million who are undervalued. LEAs Pederson's not undervalued.
Speaker 1: That is true moneyway, So that's a good point. But anyways, the Pederson start, it's either at the trade deadline or at the NHL Draft that the Peterson trade stop never stops, never stops.
Speaker 3: I mean good luck, six years left on good Luck and nothing against him. I would sign the deal too. It's kind of like the deal you signed with Check can't believe it.
Speaker 1: Derek Forbert, So for Bert is a UFA as well. Had so many injuries last year. Some thought he may have to retire, but I'm hearing he's going to play next year. Quiet on the four bird front when it comes to Vancouver as well, And again it could change with one phone call, but the Canucks don't have big free agents UFAs. Remember last year they had Best or Donnie. But these guys are all going to be They're all going to be not big deals. So that's something to keep an eye on as well Forbert. But it's quiet with Forbert and Blueger could change any minute.
Speaker 3: Okay, we talked this is breaking news here the Vegas Golden Knights, Yes, talked about this yesterday. John Toterell, after a short stint at the end of the season of replacing Bruce Cassidy not returning his head coach of the Vegas Golden Knights and our show, other shows, other media speculating that Ryan Craig, who has spent the last but three seasons or so with the Henderson Silver Knights, would be promoted. He's another BC Boys from Habsford, fifth head coach in franchise history, Ryan Craig. He gets promoted to head the head coaching job with the Vegas Golden Knights. And that's I think a little surprising not that Ryan Craig gets the job, although they've gone for bigger names. All due respect it to Ryan Craig. In the past, five head coaches in nine years seasons. That's a lot for a team that's had a lot of success.
Speaker 1: Three Stanley Cups in nine years and they stand finals Stanley Finals, and they keep changing coaches with regularity.
Speaker 3: Yep. So Ryan Craig new head coach of the Vegas and that's just a lot happening. Wet even haven't even talked about the World Cup yet.
Speaker 1: Oh I was watching last night.
Speaker 3: Well look, you know so many times in the world of sports, in the world of pro sports, you build something up, And yesterday we talked about how the World Cup on Tuesday would feature games that feature Leonla Messi, Earl Helland and Killian and Babe, and they all came through with multiple goal matches. Messi, he's gonna be thirty nine. On Juja twenty fourth, gets three goals against the Algeria the one call back Whens, that's right, one call back and outside Helland with two goals. Boy he is Look, he just looks like RoboCop out there, just his closing speed. Norway over Iraqi, gets a couple of goals, and in Bapi two goals. France over Senegal, and we all remember that big upset turn of the century with Senegal over a defending champion France. They got some revenge for that. All three of those players were just spectacular. And Ronaldo is playing today. I think it's ten o'clock or a time, Portugal against the Democratic Republic of Congo. The World cupsman so good, just incredible entertainment. I don't care if you're a big soccer fan or not. That is sports at its best.
Speaker 1: The second goal by mess you thunder. It was just thunder shot. It was absolutely and no look at him, he's laughing at me. It's a soccer term thunder. You wouldn't get it right anyways. The other one for you is the Argentine and your a uniform guy. The Argentina uniforms, the ones they wore last night, by far the best I've seen in the World Cup. Daughter, you kidding?
Speaker 3: No gradient stripes. Their old uniforms look better than that. Stop you're telling me Norway doesn't have the.
Speaker 1: Best the Argentina uniform last night.
Speaker 3: He can't.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I fell in love with that uniform last night. Best uniform at the World Cup are Norway?
Speaker 3: Have you seen Norway?
Speaker 1: Bryan?
Speaker 3: But I know you you're busy, at least your pretending to be busy. Uh, Norway's uniforms.
Speaker 4: Come on, I might purchase uniform I might purchase ricks, right, I'm sorry that Argentina.
Speaker 3: No, no, they've rooined it. They know it's they have I'm allowed to break.
Speaker 4: By the way, I have allowed.
Speaker 3: That their stripes now feature a gradient gradient blue. It doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Just ye.
Speaker 3: You've seen people in the crowd with the old uniform, simple light blue stripes.
Speaker 1: Way better the.
Speaker 3: Norway jerseys the flag, oh, come on, those are tremendous.
Speaker 4: By the way, I don't know if you guys saw the start of the game, the people crying during the argent.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that amazing?
Speaker 4: I mean, we love our hockey. We love our hockey, okay, and we love our country. You don't see this, you don't, you know?
Speaker 1: And if the Canucks win the Stanley Cup, you will see that.
Speaker 3: People, right, you will see that one here. I've seen a lot of people crying your Canucks.
Speaker 1: Games anthem before the game.
Speaker 3: It's a joke.
Speaker 1: My gosh, eighty two. I cried, I joined the.
Speaker 3: Anthem, gave the puckaway to Boston.
Speaker 4: We're so proud and during your anthem and everything we see that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. We're more reserves, that's what it is.
Speaker 4: And we shouldn't pit Nations against you cry.
Speaker 1: I've cried. I've cried doing this show.
Speaker 3: He cried horribly. Okay, ready rock Yeah, we gotta go. DTMZ. Is it just me coming up in the eleven o'clock hour, John Shannon. We mentioned him so many years at Hockey Night in Canada, which is no more. He's going to join us just after eleven o'clock. John might be crying, So there's that. Okay, a big ride guy coming up this hour. And up next Bob the Moje for Jonvic DC Lions zero one after their season opening loss in Regina. Over the weekend, Lions in Hamilton on Friday, and most you'll have a thing or two to say about Hockey Night in Canada and other sporting matters. It's so nice to have you joining us, folks. Trust me, we're happy you're able to join us. Donnie and Dolly the Team.
Speaker 1: I check.
Speaker 5: Donnie and Dollie the Team is supported by able Auctions dot CA.
Speaker 2: Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 1: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot CA. That's sales at ab LA Auctions dot CA. Wednesday and all today's guests, including the modes who were trying to hook up with brought to you by the BC Construction Safety Alliance, making safety simpler for more than fifty seven thousand employers across the province. I want to bring the BCCSA to your job site. Safety on Tour delivers dynamic mobile safety demonstrations directly to your workplace at no cost to you. Visit Safety on Tour dot caa today to book your free Safety on Tour demonstration. Have we got moch We don't, Okay, we're just waiting for Bob or Janovich, a voice of the BC Allions from Black Press again. The BC Allions starting their season off last weekend of this past weekend, losing thirty one to twenty seven to the Rough Riders in Saskatchewan. That was strange. I was out, didn't watch the game, came back and watched it. I taped it and it was so reminiscent of the Western Final which Saskatchewan takes the late lead and then the Lions were unable to come back.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you need a D to stop, you need the D to make a stop.
Speaker 3: And yeah, well that's just it. Everybody looks at the end of games. The Lions fell fell behind fourteen to nothing early and that was the real problem versus being unable to punch it in the end zone at the end of the game. Lions in Hamilton on Friday, So we're efforting, as they say in the business, Bob Morjanovich. Meanwhile, you've got some information, some interesting information off of Twitter when it comes to the Vegas Golden Knights and their former head coach, Well.
Speaker 1: Kelly mccrimin, the GM told the media this morning that he has already granted a team Donnie permission to speak with Bruce Cassidy and he will deal with it on a case by case basis going forward. But there's only one team left. There's only one team left looking for coach Edmonton and they're waiting on Babcock. So did he allow Bruce Cassidy to talk to La or Toronto? That's what we'll try and figure out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that is interesting because of all the Babcock rumors have quiet it down, okay, big time. So does that mean Bruce Cassidy is in play now in Edmonton versus Mike Babcock. And you know, if they felt they weren't going to get Bruce Cassidy and maybe Toronto was, did they throw the Babcock story out there, you know, as a trial balloon see what people would think. And maybe they didn't like the reaction, which is likely. And now on they moved to Bruce Cassidy, which is interesting because Knights and oilers are in the same division.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, let's see where it goes. We're good with Moch.
Speaker 3: Okay, it took a while, but we got them. Barbara Janovitch, the mode voice of the Becy Lions. He works for black Press. He joins us. Now, how are you, sir?
Speaker 6: Good morning, gentlemen, doing rather well on this beautiful sunny June day.
Speaker 3: All right, Moch, you like myself and like Rick, you've been around for a while. Does it bother you that Hockey Night in Canada? I won't be on CBC anymore? And apparently I should have known this show yesterday when I was doing the show. The name Hockey Night in Canada stays with the CBC.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's I don't think it impacts us in any way, shape or form in terms of how we consume the game. But yet at the same time, there's something nostalgic about Hockey Night in Canada. It's been around for ages. I mean, you know, remember this was this was hockey in Canada on Saturday nights. It's not like it is now, where you know, you can consume games on any given night of the week. I mean the older generation. And of course we're fading away so it really doesn't matter. But for us it was Saturday night, one game at five o'clock, the Leafs, the Canadians or the Canucks. And it's sad that that, I guess tradition, if you want to call it, will no longer be part of the hockey landscape.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And while we're on the subject of things that national networks are doing, what's your reaction to the situation with the Calder Cup where Sports Net is airing all of the Toronto Marley's games and I believe they're up three to nothing on the Chicago Wolves, while last year, completely ignoring what the Abbotsford Cannucks were up to.
Speaker 6: Well, I can say whatever I want about sports Nets, seeing how they punted my you know what for being critical of the Blue Jays broadcast. So I'll say that. I mean, to me, it's just it is what it is. I mean, they cater to Toronto because that's where the eyeballs are, right, I mean, it's the least. How many times have we seen major stories in other parts of the country just neglected, not only by sports Net, by TSN as well, because you know, Austin Matthews tweaked his ankle in the morning skate and left early, and it's you know, it's headline news. And meanwhile, some guy who scored five goals the night before in Edmonton is basically disregarded. So doesn't surprise me at all.
Speaker 1: It is what it is, ye moje, I swear to God. The Lions has started this year like last year, so many times they needed a stop from their defense late in the game and they didn't get it. What happened in Saskatchewan, well, I mean clearly it's their start.
Speaker 6: I mean, you can't allow the other team to get the ball twice in the first, their first two drives and score touchdowns. So I know a lot of people are looking at the final drive. Yeah, I mean they needed a stop, they didn't get it. They needed to score on offense, they didn't do it. But Saskatchewan's a good team. I mean, Trevor Harris is a good quarterback. So you have to tip your cap sometimes to the opposition. But the one thing I did like about this team in that game was the resilience. I mean, they lost Katoy, they lost berry Hill. I mean, you know, Sevin McGee was basically lost for the season early in the game. So you lose three players on the offensive side of the ball who are part of your scheme, and you know, somehow you're holding every thing together by duct tape and still competing. So it was it was a tough loss. But I think, you know, they just got to move onwards and upwards.
Speaker 1: This schedule Mojes Hamilton just went into Winnipig, dropped thirty seven points this this game on Friday, short little bit of a short work week. This isn't gonna be easy either.
Speaker 6: No, I mean, it's professional football. As Neil back Off I would say, right, The thing is, it's one of the things that was really emphasized when I talked to Ryan Riggmaid and even Buck Curser, more so with Lyon CM, Ryan Riggmaid and Kamloops is we had to get off to a better start. That's we kept saying, we need a better start. That two and five start last year cost them home field advantage when it came to the playoffs and possibly a birth of the Great Cups. So that's one thing that they kind of really set as a goal this year. I think to win the West and you go down two if you lose in Hamilton all of a sudden. Now, like you know, the pressure is on, and not necessarily in terms of games becoming must wins, but when you're going to you're digging yourself into a hole. You're looking up at everybody, right. So I think that's one of the things that you know, you look at this game against Hamilton and it's a big one because one in one sounds a heck of a lot better than know one too.
Speaker 1: Carolina wins the Stanley Cup. Moje, we know the Canucks are. You know it's going to be a long trek to get to where they are. But is there anything about Carolina, Well, I mean they're entering a rebuild, Moje. I mean, you know, they're miles away. But last, listen, mog let me finish. I know, hey, Donnie and I we've been waiting at fifty five hundred years for the Canucks to win the Cup. Listen, Moje has been waiting six hundred, six hundred years. But is there anything from Carolina the Canucks can learn from and to get in the right direction going in?
Speaker 6: I mean, clearly you have to have and we've talked about this before, is alignment and right, I mean, what's that old botch line? You need an army, right. So you look at Carolina, A lot of their success was predicated on, you know, what they had in terms of depth. So it's one of the reasons they beat the Montreal Canadians in that series was the difference in the fourth line. So you know, I look at the Canucks and that just it's going to be such a long road, fellas. And you know, I'm just Donnie said it the best. I wonder if we're going to see a connect Stanley Cup during our lifetimes.
Speaker 3: I really do.
Speaker 6: And and and it's sad because you know there's other fans in the same boat. I mean, following this team since nineteen seventy, some even before, like Donnie, following it in the Western Hockey League days. So yeah, it's it's disneyppointing.
Speaker 3: So come on, you went to Western Hockey League games with the old Canucks. Admit it, Moches.
Speaker 6: Come on, Donnie, I was like three.
Speaker 3: If I didn't like that, doesn't mean you didn't go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah. So my parents barely spoke English, didn't even know barely anything about hockey, are going to take me to a Western Hockey League game of the Coulseam.
Speaker 3: Come on, I'm not that old, Hey, moch my first game I remember distinctly the first game I saw professional hockey in Vancouver. This is how old I am.
Speaker 1: Was at the forum, the p and E Forum in goal for the Canucks, a kid by the name of Tony Esposito. That's how far back I go, And I think I saw you in the crowd. There's a lot I think he was there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it's crazy, like when you walk around the p and E and you walk into the forum and you're like, they actually played Western Hockey League games, and you're like professional Hockey League games. I mean, what do they got like about ten rows of stands that's it on each side?
Speaker 3: Oh well yeah, and and that when they built the coliseum late sixties, that was such a big deal. And now the Canucks of course have been out of there for a long long time. Yep, time flash. Hey, World Cup hard not to get into it mode. You'd have to agree with that, you.
Speaker 6: Know, I'm still not into it. I'm still kind of like on the periphery. I've been seeing some of the scores, you know, I teached some of the matches. Okay, with the biggest impact of the World Cup out on us. So when we were flying to Regina, the Australians were coming in and there must have been probably about fifteen to twenty Vancouver motorcycle officers then ready with the police escort. So and it's like South Terminal where we flying and out of one of the buildings there is usually pretty quiet. It was just a buzz of FIFA people, people from the Australian contingent, I guess. And then when we arrived from Regina, Turkey A and I know, so I'm going with Turkey A. Turkey and Australia had played that night and it was a late game at BC Place, So when we landed, there were two Alaska Airlines jets just repped up ready to go, I guess, waiting for both teams to take them to wherever they were off to. So yeah, that was that was the one thing I noticed was the increase that pibody at the airport with both sides coming into Vancouver for that match.
Speaker 3: But you know, the.
Speaker 6: Interesting thing is though, it's pretty cool, like, uh, just kind of glanced down Granville Street this week. I was downtown on the weekend and just to see everybody out in the boat and just kind of catching the fever even though they obviously can't afford to go to the games. But between there and some of the stuff that you've seen at the p and E, it's been pretty cool for people to get into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been special. The crowds have been special, and the superstars are coming through.
Speaker 1: Moja, thanks for this.
Speaker 3: I don't believe you about not being at the penie form for the Western Hockey League, but we'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 6: Hey, you know what, I was at the p and E Forum for All Star Wrestling.
Speaker 3: On Yes, yes, absolutely, Stamp Okay, thanks Boach, appreciate it. Lions and Hamilton Moch we'll have the call in on CKW Stampede Wrestling that was in Calgary. They came here, they came here, all start wrestling with Ron mourriyya, come on.
Speaker 1: It was at the Pedi Front. I loved him.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing at the a Penie Gardens, which was the building. I guess it would be to the east of the Forum. I'm so old. Okay, walding dog pull question. We'll introduce it next. It has to do with the demise. I guess you call it of Hi canadon Canada, Donnie, that's next, Donnie delay the team. Jack looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway, Head to beautiful Parks Bill and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splash in the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean Front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event. Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book Your getaway now at two five zero two four eight eight tuple three. Your Island Adventure starts here.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: Montreal and the Philadelphia Flyers are currently playing overtime and are we able to go there or not?
Speaker 1: We are not able to go there.
Speaker 7: That's the way things go today in sports on this network, and the Flyers and the Canadians have us in suspense and will remain that way until we can find out somehow who won this game or who's responsible for the way we do things here.
Speaker 1: Good night for Hockey Night in Canada.
Speaker 3: Not the greatest moment in Hockey Night in Canada history in terms of something positive, but one we'll never forget. So memorable. Dave Hodge ripping into the CBC. You see him flip his pen right again. He was really upset. There was an issue with curling covered her day and they couldn't show the Montreal Philadelphia overtime and he ended up losing his job and they fired him. That was, and then he ended up with c KNW on Radio here iarin Vancouver for a short period of time. But that was no matter what you think of him, folks, one of the can you call it great days in Ron McClain's broadcasting career. Ron McLean was twenty six years old. He took over from Dave Hodge as the main host of Hiking in Canada and then started his partnership with Don Cherry and the rest is history. But Dave Hodge came to c KNW after that, you remember him, and my recollection was that it didn't last long because he wasn't as good as the late great Neil McCrae.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, but back to back to Toronto he went. I remember Dave Hodge on the Canucks broadcast on c and W great broadcaster by the way.
Speaker 3: Okay, this all leads to the Wattling Dog, Paul Quick and he wasn't as good as Neil McCrae. No wattling Dog. Poll question experienced one of Victoria's iconic destinations, Catch the World Cup of the Dog with Canada games shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs were full sound. Come sit and stay at.
Speaker 1: The dog today, Wick Ryan, get her up the Waddling Dog. Pop pole question, what's your reaction to CBC no longer airing Hockey Night in Canada. Look at this leading the way. Sadness forty seven percent, indifference forty four percent, anger nine percent in the last place. But sadness especially for those of us who watched old Guys Old Guys in the seventies and eighties and Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday at five o'clock, and you know everybody would gather together to watch and you know it was it was Look, there wasn't much hockey, so we we you appreciate things more when there's less. Now there's more, and I don't appreciate I can't watch twelve hockey games at nighttime? I got five. Do you want to go back to I want to go back to the old days. I don't care. I hate the crap with five hundred channels on TV. You know what, it's stupid, it's dumb. Why are there five channels?
Speaker 3: Five?
Speaker 1: You don't have to eat, I don't have to watch. I only use four or five channels. I'm not a five hundred channel guy. B S stop, no chance. This is stupid. It's dumb. Why Why is there five hundred channels on your television when you're not using somebody stopping making.
Speaker 3: Money, that's probably there's a market for it.
Speaker 1: We appreciated things more back in the seventies and eighties because there was less things. And then we loved talking in Canada, even the French channel. I failed Great eight French, but I still watched the abs on the French channel. You knew the Lafleur shut lamaire that were going around the ice.
Speaker 3: So you want to go back to just having one game and then, you know, and once in a while, the people in Toronto, the powers would be, would would throw a little tidbit out, a little crumb for the knuck fans, and there'd be a knnock game once a week in Canada, maybe like four or five times a year.
Speaker 1: That would just go back to that. We appreciate, you know why it was.
Speaker 3: You know why we didn't complain that that much way back when when, because we had Jim Robson on Region Robson better than anything on TV. Though late I develop a problem saying that the late great Jim Robinsons of all time. I want to run this because we've got several clips from hockey Dight in Canada, but I want to run this because it's one of my favorite Hockey Night in Canada moments. It's not that long ago. It's from twenty thirteen. And by the way, I didn't I wasn't aware of this yesterday. The name Hockey Night in Canada is staying with CBS STEBC. We're gonna still see games on Sports Net on Saturday night. It won't be the same. I guess it won't be called Hockey Night in Canada and that's the shame. But this goes back to twenty thirteen and it's it's remember the great montages Hockey Night in Canada would run and this was when Pavel Burrey had his number retired at Rogers' Arena again November second, twenty thirteen. It was a game against the Leafs. So of course the guys that you know back He's made sure they got the Leafs involved in this montage. But it's just wonderful. It's a tribute to Pavel Burrey. They worked the Leafs in there as well. Connacks ended up winning that game for nothing that night. But I just want to run this from back in twenty thirteen. And the reason it's extra special for BC people not just because of Pavel, because the band they used Chilliwack, Fly at Night, roll it dere if you don't mind.
Speaker 8: Four men in a rock and movement, fire Night and the Morning, wand Finn.
Speaker 4: It's fine see the morning from the other side.
Speaker 1: And when you close, your seed comes first. When you fly the univers. Well, need some rest, yeah, need some.
Speaker 4: Big watch faces. Yeah, we like to see faces.
Speaker 5: Time is just a riverban time is at top event.
Speaker 1: When we look out, you see.
Speaker 4: You see much closers again fly.
Speaker 1: Okay, you get the idea.
Speaker 3: That was just a really special moment watching that. Why they had I mean it was a night for Palva Brue. Why they had worked I know they were playing the leaves well, why they worked the leafs in that?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 3: I have no idea. But all those great moments with pelic at discs, all those great moments with Palva Brun. Have these people like Ryan who are too young to remember the guy was and why is his number ten up there?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Like, yes you do. You don't take a look at this footage, And that's why that was. I always remember those great montages that Hockey Night in Canada used to run, and I guess they still did for a while, but nothing like this. This was just fabulous.
Speaker 1: I just I remember that so well, just.
Speaker 3: Thinking that is great television. It took people back and they worked the current day conducts into it as well. You see the sedines uh in there. But I just thought that was really really special. It was something they did that always always seemed to work before big moments there.
Speaker 1: The CBC was for sports for before these guys, A TSN and sports, and I came CBC was the best. And when you won the Stanley Cup. After the Stanley Cup, they would play we are the champions by Queen and it was just great and that's how they would end the season. So great memories on CBC and Hockey Night in Canada. But it's changing. Everything's changing, and not for.
Speaker 3: The Okay, we could go on and on about Hockey Night in Canada. I'm just gonna miss the name. If indeed it stays this way and CBC keeps the rights, maybe sports that buys it back, but they're you know, spending money on other things, and it's it's it's sad for us old guys and for a lot a lot of a lot of people to lose that just the name and the memories hockey Night in Canada. Rest in peace? Okay, how are we doing business? All right? I've got some other hockey ning. We've got some other Hockey Night in Canada clips well, one that they want to run for the four hundred time in the show. June twenty third. Able Auctions will sell the contents of a closed communications contractor thirty trucks, vans including bucket trucks, bucket vans, service vans and others, plus over one hundred commercial grade ladders and wire inventory. Everything from bucket trucks to ladders sold to the highest bidder June twenty third. For information on this communication contractor close your auction, go to Abeleauctions dot CAA that's sales at ab l Eauctions dot ca. He worked at Hocktight in Canada for years and years. John Shannon is going to join us at the top of the hour. Up next, Big Rye, Donny Della the team check.
Speaker 9: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at Safety Ontour dot C.
Speaker 3: This from al in Richmond that bury montage was outstanding. They followed it up years later with a montage of Philip Heel that may have been just as good. People have to watch this show for a long time to understand what that's all about. I will stand by what I said.
Speaker 4: Within a few months time, did you not have the Jack Adams for Foot and Hetel as a Bury comp.
Speaker 3: It wasn't my best era. What a what a scene Philip Hetele's debut stop it at Rogers Arena. I'm not saying he was exactly like Pavl Burray. I'm saying it would remind me of that debut because he was going and to end confident carrying the pockage cost him.
Speaker 4: It's like saying I saw a red Corolla today driving and you know what, once I saw a red Ferrari, it made me instantly think of the same thing.
Speaker 1: There was a made of red was similar. There was a build up to Bury's first game, like there was anticipation. We had waited weeks and weeks and weeks for Burray.
Speaker 3: This is this is similar to Pratt and I when I said Mason Raymond skates like Wayne Gretzky.
Speaker 1: You've had a lot of really great takes on it.
Speaker 3: It was his skating style was similar. I wasn't saying Mason Raymond was going to be the next Wayne Gretzky. I'm saying he skated like kind of hunched over, but very very effective. And Pratt, you know, went on and on about how I was comparing Raymond to Gretzky, and you just you don't understand. That's what will sure both you guys and a lot of people apparent.
Speaker 4: The guy behind the montages, by the way, is Tim Thompson him. He was, He was at CBC and I don't think he does stuff anymore.
Speaker 3: But that was my favorite one just because it worked. It works so well. Pablo Burrey flying it just the wallow act from BC perfect.
Speaker 4: They've done the ones that before twenty eleven were outstanding to between the Bruins and US. They've done a few tragically hip ones involving.
Speaker 1: The Canadians man courage. Yeah, really well done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and hats off to Tim because he knew that, Yes it was you had to dedicate that piece of footage or that footage to Palvin Brie. But work the Leafs in to keep the job right.
Speaker 4: But they do that for all of them. It's the teams involved in the game. They try and do both sides.
Speaker 1: Mistake, Okay it might be, but that it's what happens.
Speaker 3: So you're so now you're a leaf fan, all right?
Speaker 4: I will say I'm sticking up for the Leafs a little bit with the way they're getting crapped on over this Mitch Marner thing.
Speaker 1: But we'll save that for later later.
Speaker 4: But okay, First of all, our friends at the Vancouver Giants shared some news this morning. I want to mention their home opener date has been announced.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 4: It's like right around the corner that they're going to have the start of the WHL season coming up on September the nineteenth. They're gonna face off against the Colonna Rockets for the home opener out there at the nec Ron Toygo and our friends and Matthews Preston, who's on the program yesterday. We'll be back with the Giants three months. We got a lot of reaction. Forget about this AUGUSTA. These kids are showing up to camp in August.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? You've got the Giants golf.
Speaker 4: Tournament out there to Uston Springs as well, So.
Speaker 1: Junior hockey, you get ready.
Speaker 3: The big news is that time flies and.
Speaker 1: They don't have a coach yet. Uh yeah, but a second Michael Dick is with the Toronto Marleys in the Colder Cup final watching that. Do not be surprised if Michael Dick is the new coach the Giants and the new gm they're just waiting for.
Speaker 3: The They would leave, they would leave a professional hockey job to be coaching.
Speaker 1: That that's the rumor that they're waiting for Michael Dick. The Giants haven't had a coach for six seven them. Why else would they? Why else are they waiting? They're waiting on Michael Dick.
Speaker 4: Like what happened with the Predators. They had to wait for the abs to be gone. And then Chris McFarlane showed up there.
Speaker 1: So okay.
Speaker 4: The other thing, this is something you guys talked about last week with Shannon Guys. ESPN very happy with its Stanley Cup final, despite what a lot of people thought going in twenty twenty six. Stanley Cup playoffs as a whole average two point two million viewers across ESPN, up twenty one hundred and twenty seven percent from twenty twenty five. It's the most watched postseason guys in NHL history down South on ESPN and TNT.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but ESPN, the NBC, I would imagine include the NBC numbers the years of the NBC.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but ultimately having a ESPN involved in your league is a must. Like I don't know if you're seeing this stuff, but apparently Fox is upset because of ESPN's coverage of the World Cup and it's not what it should be.
Speaker 1: Well guess what.
Speaker 4: ESPN can't show any damn highlights from the World Cup because of FIFA's regulations, so they're not going to spend a ton of time on it.
Speaker 1: It's not their property. I hate the way that thinking is, but it happens. It happens in this country.
Speaker 3: On the CFN that thinking, and I don't know if this is the case with ESPN. There's a time limitation. You can show footage, yeah, thirty seconds, right, and that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand how you market your product properly that that way. I mean, you know, I've had to deal with it places I've worked with, had to deal with it for years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't just understand. Like with the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to show the golden.
Speaker 4: Goal, Like we can't show any any goals today for performance or anything.
Speaker 1: But a large part of the things are helping here in the States. Olympics, four nations and social media. That was the start for nations, and then the Olympics they win. You got Trump tweeting about the US hockey team, and you got this cam Ptel guy going to the Olympics, cash whatever his name is, going to the Olympics and partying with the guys in the dressing room. You've got one. You've got the US government behind these teams, tweeting up a storm and following these teams. Social media's played a big role. I think it's ultimately win, but win the win is the thing. Yeah, the Winner is the thing.
Speaker 3: If Canada would have it would have been great for not so show would have been the best thing for the NHL.
Speaker 4: The other thing is what you brought up a Shannon to the popularity. Heated rivalry like that show was huge, like a wildfire quick and that combined with the Olympics.
Speaker 3: I think there's another series out right now. I can't remember the name, hockey series. Yeah, well, you watch all those channels.
Speaker 1: It must be one of the five hundred channels everyone's got at home. Now, what you know?
Speaker 3: Off off campus?
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Savage is in here and she's up to dating these things.
Speaker 1: I don't know what off campus is a hockey show. Yeah, yeah, I have no idea. I still watch Young Blood, Rob Lowe, great movie.
Speaker 3: That was not a great movie.
Speaker 4: What are you gonna stand? I don't know if we talked about this, Where are you gonna stand?
Speaker 3: On Mighty Ducks?
Speaker 1: That was okay, Emily Western right for kids? Yeah, yeah, not like young Blood was great. Oh my gosh, No, I'm not a bold Yeah, I don't know why. But going up north to learn how to fight?
Speaker 3: It was just come on? Was that the movie? I can't even remember there was a lot of bad hockey movies back back then.
Speaker 1: No, the best hockey movie slap Shot, Oh by Country Model, and then Miracle was very good. Miracle was good, You're you're right and you very and if the old timers out there, there were hockey scenes in the movie, very respected movie with.
Speaker 3: Ryan O'Neil and Ali McGraw called Love Story. You gonna look it up.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll get on that up next.
Speaker 4: Cols here on fire Man cos Hockey. Our good pal, Josh Pannon. He's next to Donny Donny the team on Check.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, it's Donnie Donney and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 1: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 3: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at check Media dot C.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 3: Oh, John Shannon coming up. I think he knows this tune. Hockey Night in Canada is no more. All of our guests today, including John standing by, brought to you by the BC Construction Safety Alliance making Safety Crank that music, making safety maybe not that much, making safety simpler for more than fifty seven thousand employers across the province. Visit Safety on Tour dot Ca today to book your free Safety on Tour demonstration. As we bring in from the one hundred percent to Hockey podcast, one hundred percent Canucksy used to work for Hockey Night in Canada, John Shannon, John.
Speaker 1: Thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 3: How are you hey, boys? How are you good? Good your reaction? Hockey Night in Canada no longer being aired on CBC.
Speaker 8: Well, yesterday was a sad day when you consider what that brand was for seventy four years, and what it stood for and what some of us believed in.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 8: It's, uh, it's the end of an era in so many ways, and and a little bit of the end of some Canadiana in so many ways. You know, when you when you think about what Saturday nights meant, whether it be the five o'clock start that we used to have on Saturdays, and then when the doubleheader occurred in nineteen ninety five and and Vancouver and the West got their own primetime game, it's just it's it's it's part of the the culture that that this country used to have that will not occur anymore. There are going to and there are going to be from a practical perspective, there are going to be some Canadians that will not be able to see hockey on a regular basis now, whether they choose to subscribe to a Rogers product or where they're a part part of the country where it's not available, that's going to be that's going to be difficult for some of those people to swallow. But we won't know that until late September when the season starts again.
Speaker 3: John tell us about your association with hockey in Canada, how far back it goes, and what was it like for a kid from all over BC to be working on a major show like that.
Speaker 8: So my first year was nineteen seventy seven. I got paid ten dollars a game to be a runner at Maple Leaf Gardens while I was going to school as a broadcast student. It was the greatest job that I ever had. I got to rub elbows with the TV stars and hockey players and walk through the bowels of the best hockey arenas in the world on a regular basis. Got to go to the Stanley Cup Final for so many years I think I did thirty three or thirty four of them. There was a real culture in those days of what hockey Night in Canada was, and it was you know, when you wore the baby blue blazer, Donnie, you know you you were you were six inches taller than other people, and you really believed in what you were trying to do and how important hockey was not you know, and it wasn't Toronto and Vancouver and Montreal where it was important. It was in Prince George and then Yorkton, yes, uh, and then Timmins and uh, you know, and and and and Truro Nova Scotia. That that's where hockey Night in Canada. For me, being a small town boy, that's where it really I think hit home. Was that we meant and I do say we we had hockey Night in Canada. We met so much to so many Canadians. And that's what made me the proudest.
Speaker 3: Why did we remember those days so fondly, the day, the heydays of hockey and eight in Canada so fondly when coverage of the National Hockey League is so much more extensive now.
Speaker 8: Well, I think you guys kind of hit the nail on the head earlier is that you know, we didn't used to get hockey seven nights a week. We used to get it every Saturday, and then there would be twenty five conuct games on Wednesday night.
Speaker 6: And that was it. That was it.
Speaker 8: You didn't see very much else. And that's why the playoffs were so important because you know, on Saturdays during the regular season you saw games from Toronto, you saw games from Montreal, and as I told you last week, four times a year you saw games from the coliseum. But in the playoffs you saw games from every arena. So there was a real connection to that group of announcers, connection to the game because it wasn't every night of the week.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: To put this in context, we revel in the you know, a lot of us in the business say, wow, Monday Night football has been on since nineteen seventy two. Well, Hockey Night in Canada was on twenty years earlier than that. Hockey Night in Canada was the Hockey Night in Canada was part of our culture in our country and it helped introduce so many new Canadians to Canadian culture and to the game of hockey. You know, when you walk down the street and you go to Canuck game now and you see the broad strokes of culture that we see going to the games. A lot of that started with parents and grandparents who moved to this country and watched Hockey Night in Canada because that's what Canadians did. And so all of us really owe a debt of gratitude, including me, to what the CBC did and what Hockey United Canada did for so many Canadians.
Speaker 1: John Good BC boy got the Toronto Maple Leafs head coaching job today, I don't see a lot of people liking it. I think they wanted a bigger name or whatever. But what are your thoughts on Jim Hiller getting the job for the Leaves?
Speaker 8: Two things, Rick. First of all, I think a lot of people were shocked that it was Jim Hiller, and I think that's why there's a real reaction like who what and and you know, for the first time in the history of Maple Leaf sports and entertainment, somebody was able to keep a secret and so it didn't it didn't get leaked out two days ago and didn't get on the Blogosphares last weekend. So I think that that was the one one of the things that has caught people off guard. Uh, you know, Jim Hiller is not a big name. Jim Hiller had some time in Toronto with Mike Babcock as the head coach and he was an assistant, but nobody really knew who Jim Hiller was when he was here. I think his time in Los Angeles could be viewed as semi successful. But you know, they didn't get out of the first round in LA. And he's a defensive first coach, He's a structured coach, So how will he manage how this team can get out of its own zone is a question. Quite frankly, in my opinion, the hiring is underwhelming, but maybe it's what the Leafs need for two or three years. You know, this is in my opinion, and Jim won't like to hear this. This is a placeholder position right now. This is a job for two or three years as this team tries to figure out exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: So John Tortorella takes Vegas to the Stanley Cup finals and for his reward he gets a pink slip where you say a prize.
Speaker 8: Oh, I don't think he got a pink slipper.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, I mean, they didn't bring him back and he got him into the final.
Speaker 8: I think this was part of the deal. Yeah, I think this was part of the plan all along.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: Kelly McCrimmon said this morning that they probably wanted Ryan Craig, who got the job today, to be the head coach, but it wouldn't have been fair to Ryan Craig to throw him into the fire with the eight games to go in the regular season. John Tortorella did exactly what he was supposed to do for forty five days and did it well and got paid handsomely to do it, and now is back on the market to go to the highest bidder. It might be a win win for Tortorella. And it shows to me that, you know, Kelly McCrimmon and George McFee do things differently in Vegas and it's always to the benefit of the hockey club. So it doesn't surprise me. And it's one of those things where torts has proved to where everybody that he again can coach in this league. And we'll get another chance somewhere, maybe not at the start of a season, but you know, darn well, the moment some coaches names start to pop up as who's in trouble this week? You know, Bruce Cassidy and John Tarterella's names will be at the top of the list.
Speaker 3: John, I don't know if you want to talk about this, but back to Hockey Night in Canada for a second when it existed. But Ron McClay, he apologized for his Game six roofie comment, and neither the apology or the comment went over well on social media. What's your best guest as to his future?
Speaker 8: Honestly, Donny, I don't know. I know Ron well, we talk every once in a while. Still I have never asked him what his future will be. You know, this is a watershed summer for Rogers and hockey in so many ways. Because there's no branding of Hockey Night in Canada in the fall, this gives that company an opportunity to quite frankly, reinvent the wheel for Saturday night hockey. So whether Ron is part of that or not, I know there are a great many Rogers executives that absolutely adore what Ron has managed for them over the years since they took over the package twelve years ago. So there's a I think a great deal of loyalty to Ron within the Rogers family. But who knows what the future holds for many of the broadcasters at Rogers at this point as we wait and figure out who has what rights holders have what night. In addition to Rogers claiming that they will have hockey on Saturday nights.
Speaker 3: Okay, As for your future, John, just so you know, check is in the mail. You'll be getting paid eleven dollars for this hit, one dollar from what you got paid by Hockey Nay in Canada when you were starting out.
Speaker 8: And all I really wanted, Donnie, all I really ever wanted was lunch with Rick.
Speaker 1: Oh and next one that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: He didn't inform us next trip to Toronto.
Speaker 1: It's you and I, Pale, You and I, You and I.
Speaker 8: Okay, So if you want some good hockey night stories, ah.
Speaker 3: Oh your book for our podcast listeners. The book is called Evolver Die. The author this man right here, John Channon. One more question.
Speaker 8: And by the way, there's a really good picture of me in a baby blue blazer. And somebody actually looked at the picture and said, who's that.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Well there you go. You're still a handsome guy. What are you talking about? Okay?
Speaker 1: John, the baby boo blazer.
Speaker 3: That's what I was going to ask you. Have you got one or have you got that one?
Speaker 8: No, A, it wouldn't fit anymore.
Speaker 9: And B.
Speaker 8: It was disposed of the day I was fired the first time from Hockey nighting in Canada at a bar in Calgary, and it hung in the rafters on the bar in Calgary.
Speaker 3: That that that story is in the book too, so oh, perfect, perfect. I'll be sure to read it. I've got a long plane trip ahead of me. I'm gonna grab your book and I'm never read it.
Speaker 10: They make that promise you'll, by the way, it's about for a guy like you, it's about a six hour read and it's uh, you know so many people in the in the book, Donna that you'd have fun, you'd enjoy reading it.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, you know what that last answer was, so good? Make it twelve dollars. John, we'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 1: Have a good day, boys, you bet.
Speaker 3: John Shannon, the one hundred Percent Hockey Podcast connects longtime director producer. He was the best for Hockey Night in Canada. We've lost an institution hockey in Canada no more on Saturday nights in our Great Country a break, and then we'll deal with the Wadling Dog. A poll question again Donnie Delod Timo.
Speaker 5: Check Donnie and Dollie. The team is supported by able Auctions dot CA. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in.
Speaker 1: A timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help for a.
Speaker 3: Free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at.
Speaker 1: Able auctions dot ca. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot ca.
Speaker 3: Waterleydog poll question experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations, Catch the World Cup of the Dog with Canada games shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs but full sound Canada versus Katar tomorrow. It's coming quickly. BC plays We'll see about Alfonso Davies.
Speaker 1: Come sit and stay at the Dog today, wreck right, I got her up? The Waddling Dog got pop pole? Question? What's your reaction to CBC no longer airing Hockey Night in Canada. Leading the way right now is indifference followed by sadness at forty one percent, and then anger moving up. It was at six now it's at fourteen percent. And there you go. Hockey Night in Canada, which now, when CBC was the only one doing sports in this country, it was great and they had great Don Whitman. I missed Don Whitman. I missed the voice they had. CBC had voices that you still Jim Robson, Don Whitman, who did CFL two, you know.
Speaker 3: Bob Cole, Foster, Hulett, Bill Hewett, Foster Hewitt's son. Yes, yes, Jim Robson wasn't on Highky Night in Canada enough if you asked me.
Speaker 1: He did the Islanders Flyers Game six, he did that series, the Stanley Cup Final, but he wasn't not enough, No, I know, I know absolutely he was not.
Speaker 3: He was a BC guy. Mind, your sol was John Shannon. He worked there for a long time. Do you have a favorite honking in Canada personality?
Speaker 1: Well, Don Jerry, obviously, I mean it's not even closed.
Speaker 3: A lot of people would disagree with you. He rubbed some people the wrong way.
Speaker 1: And we didn't have this. You could tape this crap today and then go back go somewhere else. We had to run to the television, leave our hockey game to go see Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Hold on a second. He was in the eighties when you had VCR. No, no, you didn't have the ability to record like you do now on VCRs.
Speaker 1: Did you have a VCR? Of course I had a vc I had to go to Tom's Video to videos all maybe that was the wrong place to go, not Tom's getting I mean, just no, it was Tom's Video, the local video store. We went and got videos and then popped him in who didn't have a VCR? Did you did you know how to record?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, But I'm going back a little bit before the v I'm going into the seventies. Just listen to me.
Speaker 3: Cherry wasn't on coaches Corner.
Speaker 1: Just never listen to me. Just listen to me.
Speaker 3: We ran, I am listening.
Speaker 1: We ran to the television to make sure we didn't miss Don Cherry. We would stop a road hockey game. Everybody goes see Cherry and then come back. Bottom line, But you're not really answering the question.
Speaker 4: You record using a VHS machine.
Speaker 1: I don't think I did. Yeah, there's no way with you.
Speaker 3: And how technologically even I could do it, But there's no way he did at home. Well, you said using a VHS. Keep in mind you had the choice between VEDA and beta and VHS back in the day. You don't remember that. Hey, you go to the movie store and they'd have movies in either VHS or Beta. And for whatever reason, television stations are working at CKVU. Everything was Sony, it was all it was all beta, but VHS dominated a laser is Oh that was era.
Speaker 1: That that stuff.
Speaker 3: That was a very very short era.
Speaker 1: That was it. I spent forty minutes trying to get a White Caps game last year. I'm done. I'm done. You should be able to sit in your living room and push two buttons and get your game. Now we're heading into a time where we have to spend twenty minutes looking for a game. It's bs, you're the only one to spend twenty minutes. And back in the day, we had the We just turned the knob on the channel, the knob, Donny, and just turned it and you got your just go back to the knob. Was what was wrong with the knob?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what was wrong with the knob he here's the number one problem I had. No I was my dad's remote.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know you Channel four, Bruce King's on, put Tony Parsons on. You know I had to go put Tony Parsons on at six o'clock every day.
Speaker 3: Okay. So in terms of favorite all time hockey night in Canada, personnelite, by the way I I Kevin Biex and Elliott Friedman right now are absolutely fabulous. You can say h you want about Ron mcclan and what happened in Game six. Yeah, one of my alt and people know I knew I know Ron from our days to get other in Red Deer that we worked at opposing radio stations. Don Cherry's just fabulous. And the way Don Cherry got let go was just shameful. What Don Cherry was doing on that infamous day was standing up for Canada. That was the focus of what he was saying. It got misconstrued and the you know, the cancel culture mob came and got him and it's a shame. Bob Cole, Harry Neil Howie, meet her. You mentioned. But I want to mention somebody who for me Top three play by play announcer. He did a lot of Montreal games, Danny Gallavan. Now I've the late great did Danny Galvan. Now We've run this clip five hundred times. It's from hockey Night in Canada. I don't think this is necessarily from a Saturday night, but I just love this. This is from nineteen We got the clip Derek nineteen seventy nine. Bruins habs Halbs in danger of being eliminated a game seven down a goal to the hated of Boston Bruins in Montreal and Ghee and Danny take over.
Speaker 11: Fifty five seconds left in the penalty.
Speaker 1: I'm in an on twenty seven.
Speaker 11: Seconds left in regulation time Boston for Montreal three. Lafleur coming out rather gingerly on the right side, he gives it into the mayorbacy La.
Speaker 3: Fuck.
Speaker 1: What could be more appropriate if.
Speaker 11: Anybody's Gonnacre for the Canadians than their gunner Guilaflur.
Speaker 3: He takes that drop path after.
Speaker 1: He initiated the player.
Speaker 11: He beat Jilbert with a hard flap shot from the right side, flowing on the far side.
Speaker 1: Glafleur then replaced into a.
Speaker 3: Frenchy again and they both left us said Danny Gallavan and the late great Guila Flur. When I was at Sports Page, I was sent by Paul Carson, the late great Paul Carson to do a story on Danny Alvin. He was in town speak at some event, and I came back and I was so in love with the guy. I ended up doing a seven minute piece on him, putting together a seven minute piece with the help of an editor, and Paul had to inform me that it was way too long to cut. Just couldn't cut anything out because I just thought everything he said was gospel. He was so good and he uh he managed to tolld that line. I don't think he came across as a big Habs fan that was the worst, you know, you just think I was very very good. I wouldn't call him the worst.
Speaker 1: But they could be.
Speaker 3: There's still brag about him down love for that HAPs came hey, but.
Speaker 1: Let's focus on Danny here. He was just thinking, incredible, brought a game to life. His use of the English language was like no other. He was one of the greats of hockey I encountered. I don't think enough people talk of but we could go on and on about hockey.
Speaker 3: Night in Canada.
Speaker 1: It was Gingerly. I don't think anyone else used and ginger.
Speaker 3: Lee brew Haha. It's just he was just something else.
Speaker 1: That right there was our Saturday nights in the eighties and late seventies. That right there. It just brings flood of memories back.
Speaker 3: You got some business, all right, all right?
Speaker 1: The world is coming to Vancouver, and Pastime Sports and Games have you covered when it comes to jerseys, scarves and other collectibles celebrating that beautiful game. Never been a bigger time to show off your team colors. Led by Canada as a host country. You may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South America, Asia or Africa. For more information store locations, visit Pastime Sports. Yeah Dots eight laptop.
Speaker 4: From the laptop FIFA World Cup hat. On the far right there exclusive item Rinaldo Mini's.
Speaker 3: Good to be on Ryan's head.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, I got this one up good Yeah.
Speaker 4: Bernaldo mini figurine in the middle there spoiler spoiler spoiler alert spoiler are they doing.
Speaker 1: One one right now?
Speaker 4: Between Portugal and Congo sixty four minutes into that match at the World Cup. And on the far left there he technically had four goals credited with the hat trick, though Lionel Messi legend card.
Speaker 3: Three goals yesterday.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, FIFA knew what they were doing, having those three matches with nothing else going on, Stanley Cup Final, NBA Finals, all that nothing going on in the sports world.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, what do you think cares about that?
Speaker 3: Like, well, of course they do. But do you you tell people what you had to say about Messi before the ship?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Messi? What did I say?
Speaker 3: Oh no, I'll pack that up for sure.
Speaker 4: He's Next time when Argentina plays on the same age, watch Messi.
Speaker 1: He doesn't run at all the dude.
Speaker 4: He I mean, look at hey, he put three goals in the net that counted last night. He's arguably be the greatest soccer scorer in the history. He can do what he wants. He just doesn't hustle. Aht of a lot out there and.
Speaker 3: Get out in space. Yeah, I'm not gonna sit here pretend I'm a soccer soccer.
Speaker 1: There's just not a lot of hustling happening, right, And he's a finisher. He's ah. You see his goals, the second one that the top of the box, great shot, much like Avechkin, and you can sit in the and look, I have nothing but respect, same same like.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand why he gets open, Like how he gets open? You know, I'm going to cover that guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like everybody knows his spot, everybody and yet he still racks them up from there.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Look that was That was a special day at the World Cup yesterday with those three big players coming through with multiple goal efforts.
Speaker 4: Just amazing, by the way, just quickly, so we can't have the roof open at BC places because the shadows are just awful. According to FIFA, the hall the normally match yesterday in in uh in Boston at Gellette, massive shadow, we can't do.
Speaker 3: They haven't got the option there.
Speaker 1: So what but Gellette doesn't have a roof, It doesn't have a roof.
Speaker 3: Top like they say they don't have the option of a roof.
Speaker 4: I don't know, act like you don't have one here, then that's a compet I know.
Speaker 3: Arrowhead Stadium has been around for a long time, but yesterday watching that game it was the Argentina game.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, like it.
Speaker 3: Must get boiling hot or there's no cover for anybody there no versus luman where you've got some cover and other stadiums. Yeah, okay, bottom line, Ryan with zero respect for Leonel Messi. By the way, I'm getting I'm getting some love the bayside inbox from my take on the Argentine. Argentine, they have been better in the past.
Speaker 1: No One. Last night was the best one all the time.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, we'll run a poll tomorrow, baby, man, okay, sure you look forward to that. Manny Mahultel will be on the show tomorrow. You're supposed to be on time. The last game didn't happen because of us. We're good businesswise, DTMGX, Donny Delay, the team one Jack, three foot hot dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two five two three two today. Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 1: Oh b I see is PC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 3: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 1: All electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're electric outdoor power equipment cappy fixed, it could be recycled. Whether it's a leaf, flower trimmer or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit opeic dot Ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly. That's ope ic dot CA. It's eleven thirty four on a Wednesday morning. Donnie Dolli on check TV. Now time for DTMZ. It is brought to you by the world famous so Wistler Golf Club. Go see big Al out there. Great track, Great Track.
Speaker 3: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was the golf club or Phase three of their golf course renovation now underway. The golf course will reopen for play in the summer of twenty twenty seven. For the latest updates on the reno, follow them on Instagram at Whistler Golf and don't forget pro Shop driving range open during the summer north of the Mayor American Box Office. This past weekend, Steven Spielberg's Disclosure Day launched at number one, forty four million dollars ninety three million worldwide. That was good enough to give the seventy nine year old Spielberg Wow, who conceived the film story, his best opening weekend for an original movie. Not accounting for inflation, Steven Spielberg, seventy nine years old, still going. It seems like Duel came out yesterday Again. Old timers will remember that Ryan rolling his eyes Spielberg is the father of the modern blockbuster, but Disclosure Day his first summer movie in ten years. It's closest competition the indie horror hit Obsession, directed by YouTuber Curry Barker, more than fifty years Spielberg's junior. I have nieces and nephews. They say, not only is it the best horror movie they've ever seen, No, it's the best movie they've ever seen. I've yet to check it out seventeen point two million. It succeeded that number for four consecutive weekends, this time around a second place figure of nineteen shmill. It opened at seven to now at nineteen smell that that doesn't happen worldwide total twenty six point two hudred sixty seven million, costs one million to make in third place with a similar story, back Rooms added eleven point three a million. But you know what's coming out this coming weekend, Kids and I mean Kids Massive for parents. Toy Story five.
Speaker 1: Yep, Toy Story five.
Speaker 3: I watched Toy Story one and I was unimpressed. But the storyline wasn't the target audience.
Speaker 4: You should go see this one, Dolly Wall. The storyline it was tech. It's toys versus tech, technology taking over. Kids aren't playing with the toys as much anymore.
Speaker 1: This is like right up your alley. It's a cartoon. It's animated. Yeah, yeah, it's animal. I'm not into that.
Speaker 3: Well what about did you see this when your kids were young? First?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And Barney and Barney. That diness drove me nuts.
Speaker 3: I wanted on the best kids cartoon. You know what it is? Sponge. Yeah it's not even close. Okay, you got birthdays, all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's go, Ryan, get up, get the music going, the sponsor up. Let's go. It's brought to you by Donnie and Dalli's Backscratchers and Dental Flossimporium at ball Zach Alberta. This guy the ninth overall picked by the Bruins in twenty eleven. Both his parents represented Canada at the nineteen eighty four Olympics. I think his dad was a roarer. So you know what, both parents in the eighty four Olympics in La. In his rookie season in Boston, he was named the seventh Player Recipient. Award winner goes to the Bruin who most exceeded all expectations. With the Bruins are facing a salary cap issue, they couldn't hold on to him. He ended up being traded to Calgary. In Calgary, he was paired up with Mark Giordano, Dougie Hamilton. Dougie Hamilton, Dougie Hamilton had an interesting career. Yeah, he's been kind of flip flopping around and now you know they almost asked him to go to a trade to San Jose last year and he said, oh, that's right.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: So, Dougie Hamilton he saw his Carol, his former team lift the Stanley Cup.
Speaker 1: Yes, remember he could have stayed.
Speaker 12: You could have stayed museums or whatever, he's a weird guy. He went to a lot of rams. Yeah, all right, so you don't like that he is such a stupid storyline.
Speaker 1: Who cares? Yeah? I agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like going to Seattle and going for a walk. Okay, said inside you very inside?
Speaker 1: Come on, can I go? Yes? This undrafted player would play over seven hundred games in the NHL. Undrafted Undrafted helped the Boston Bruins reach the Stanley Cup Finals in seventy seven to seventy eight. A member of the US team at the nineteen seventy six Canada Cup, coach by Don Cherry and Boston just as tough as Terry O'Reilly, John Wenswick and Stan Jonathan. Oh boy, did I love Stan Jonathan. He also served as the club's representative with the NHL Players Association. He was outspoken on several controversial issues, notably about the role of Alan Eagleson inducted into the US Hockey Hall of Fame in two thousand and six. Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me? Are you both of you kidding?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Mike Milbury, It's Mike Milbury. It's Mike Milbury.
Speaker 3: What do you just say? Shoe.
Speaker 1: I could have said that the brawl in the stands in Madison Square, you would have got it.
Speaker 3: My job is if you had just said shoe, I would have got it. You know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: No, what Madison Square? Yeah, in the end, he be the guy with his own shoe. Right, you're telling me something that happened in nineteen seventy eight, Well you didn't know. I didn't put it in the year off today. No, I'm not. If I put that in the clues, you're gonna get it right away. My job would have made funny shoe. My job is to make your work for the you know, pick of this anyways.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: This tennis player won forty nine singles titles, as well as the gold medal at the Sydney Olympics. She turned professional in nineteen ninety four Woman at the age of fourteen. Yeah, she means woman. She reached her first major final ninety seven US Open, she was only seventeen. She reached the singles world number one ranking in two thousand and two. Along with her seven singles major titles, she won fourteen women's doubles major titles, fourth all time, and money forty two million dollars year.
Speaker 3: Loreena Williams se Nope.
Speaker 1: Genus you did that's venus. Oh you said venus because he said Serena exactly. Okay, yeah it is a venus, was it? King Richard was good? That was a good movie.
Speaker 3: Well that's the Slapgate?
Speaker 1: Was that that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, that was a good tennis movie. You know Slapgate. No, not the Serena Williams sisters. Who was in that? Will Smith?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he played the dat that's that's he won the oscar that year. That was the ceremoniya slapped Chris Rock but it was about his wife. The movie nos, no, no, no, he the slap slap man, like.
Speaker 1: Get off the slap. Let's get going here. You saw a movie anyways, Yeah, you saw a movie. What a shock? This actor? This move on, let's move on. This actor was nominated for an Academy at all. No, this is an actor, not actress. He was in the movie As Good as It Gets nineteen ninety seven. Really good. That was with Jack Nicholson. Yeah, that's right, his tell not Jack. His television roles include Friends Talk, Soup, Modern Family Talk, Soup, Yeah talk soop, you don't remember the show Talk soup No Reently, it was pretty big.
Speaker 4: He was so hill and he's even been in modern Family and Friends.
Speaker 1: He was in the popular movie You Got Mail, Meg Ryan's significant other Tom Hanks, No, it's not. He was in the movie Stuck on You. The movie Stuck On You with Matt Damon.
Speaker 3: You got that one at Tom's video Billy.
Speaker 1: Crystal, No you Go. He co starred with Steve Carroll and Little Miss Sunshine Oh. In two thousand and six, he was an Invincible with Mark Wahlberg Philadelphia Eagles Bartender, I've seen what are the initials? I'm not gonna I'm giving your clues. You got to figure it out. He was in the war movie We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson. Good movie, good movie.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 1: Here you guys are disappointing. He was in the miniseries of Kennedy's Okay Uh. He played John F. Kennedy, John F. Smith. Just listen to me, last one, Okay, hurry up, let's go. He had his own NBC late night talk show in nineteen ninety four. What Initials g K Great Kannar Bingo, Bingo. My job is to make it tough, not give you the easy clues.
Speaker 3: Well you managed to do that. Yeah, we're good.
Speaker 1: By the way, you got mail.
Speaker 4: It's Tom Hanks.
Speaker 1: Ryan and Meg r was he is right in the cast right where's my great caneer notes? But you said co star like you made. It's in the movie with with what I have.
Speaker 4: But it was Tom and Meg were the two top billion people.
Speaker 1: Was a big deal in email fu Yeah, yeah, no, I know, I know. He was Meg Ryan's significant other. That's the clue.
Speaker 3: We've got to just so you know Rick based on inbox several people guessing Grand Hughes. Again, you have to watch the show a lot to get that.
Speaker 1: Okay. Meanwhile, is he just me?
Speaker 3: He's coming up?
Speaker 1: Barry met what are you doing here? It's fourteen seconds? Get going?
Speaker 3: Okay, you gotta recull it. Recue it here. Barry Madelow eighty three. Oh his face is four and he's gonna play us out. June seventy eight, Barry madelin Copa Cabana on check the Hottest Button North of Havanna, BC, Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Her name was She was the show girl with looking for One of Victoria's most iconic stays, the award winning Waddling Dog, has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport in the ferry, their room glend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog Pop twenty taps wall to wall, TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Dottie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come sentence Day.
Speaker 3: We got a boogie here. We went long on, Greg Kinnear, Is he just me? Brought to you by OPEIC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. OPEIC operates a promise wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit oh P e I s dot c A to get more info. That's oh P E I see dot c A. Rick.
Speaker 1: Why do you guys crap all over Hughes but praise Pavel Burray who was also a quitter, the ultimate quitter. Uh Pavel Burray watching him play. I wasn't in the media. I was a fan. I was a kid. I love Burry. I know how he left.
Speaker 3: He didn't quit on the ice.
Speaker 1: Ice, he didn't quit on the ice again Stanley the Cup Finals ninety four, Pablo Burray totally different. Quinn Hughes were in the media. We saw everything that happened last year. Big difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for me, it has to do with what happened on the ice. Johnny and Victoria, We've got a lot of this. Is it just me? But wow? Shocked that John Shannon doesn't have Donnie and Dolly on the TV instead watching the World Cup the competition. Come on, John. A lot of other people saying, is that that World Cup action? Are we allowed to show it even if it's in the background of a guest of ours. I guess if we don't have a show tomorrow, folks, you'll know why. Well, there could be a few reasons.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, the best hockey movie is The Love Guru because it features the Leafs win in the Cup Alex and Langford. I thought that was an interesting movie to say the least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't in Austin Powers League I was. I'll say this, I liked it more than most people, just because it had some you know, six funny moments. That's all I look for in a comedy. Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, what else you got?
Speaker 1: I used to watch All Star Wrestling with my grandma. Jean Kiniski Bulldog Brown were regulars so as she hated them both. Dwight Geene Kaniski one of the greatest Canadian athletes of all time. We all watched All Star Wrestling Canada's greatest, absolutely, But the Stampede Wrestling for us was big in the eighties.
Speaker 3: To Dawn Well, Stampede wrestling was out of Calgary, I think more of I'm a proud Vancouver here, not that's find stop stop. We all watched dam Pete Wrestling. It was great, all right, Yukon Spencer? Is it just me or Condonnie not make fun of going up north to learn.
Speaker 1: How to fight?
Speaker 3: When he brings up paying his dues up north? What's a week? But yes, Slapshot is number one? Was the movie you liked to again? Young Blood?
Speaker 1: Oh? Young Blood? Did he go up North Canada? And but you went up north? And you know both of us. We paid our dues.
Speaker 3: A lot of people are saying in the base side inbox that Mystery Alaska is their favorite hockey life. It was when the Rangers went, you know, up to Alaska to play a preseason game or something like that. I didn't see it.
Speaker 1: I don't see Mystery Alaska.
Speaker 3: Okay, we got to take a break there. We're way behind. Uh pole question. We'll wrap it up next. We'll wrap up the show up next as well. Donnie Dolly the team. Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 1: Oh b I see his VC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 3: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and guard and equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful line.
Speaker 1: Old electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're electric outdoor power equipment can't be fixed, it could be recycled. Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower.
Speaker 3: Many can be recycled for free and BC Visit O P E I C dot CA to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly.
Speaker 1: That's ope.
Speaker 3: I see dot c a.
Speaker 1: Dog pol rick right, get her up? The wadling dog pup pole question and it is concerning the CBC no longer uh with Hockey Night in Canada. Hello, Derek, get it up?
Speaker 3: Derek, cut it up?
Speaker 1: No, no, hold on, hold on, hold on.
Speaker 4: Things are slower than normal today and so Derek is still trying to get the pole question up and running.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there, bool there, there's what's your reaction to CBC no longer airing hockey in Canada? Leading the way forty five in difference, followed by sadness and anger.
Speaker 3: See this is your age group here, the young guy, young guy, how can you be indifferent to that?
Speaker 1: I said it yesterday. I'm sorry, and I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: A lot of people want their games. They don't care how, they don't care how. And to be honest, guys, I think i'd be very curious what is the percentage of people that still even watched it on on CBC.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a good point. If this is all things, it comes down to money.
Speaker 4: If this was switching probably from CBC to Sports that starting next year, I mean can be different what.
Speaker 3: I said just now, Paul g's telling your cheek somewhat. I get it. People just want to watch their hockey. So I love I love having that hockey in Canada, Brandy, because you know that's what I grew up with.
Speaker 1: You and I love the games that make be leaf gardens. In the Montreal Forum Love Lost Garden Chicago story, your last weekend, your love for Toronto is so maybe I believe gardens, Harold Ballard, it was Darryl Sittler. Are you kidding me? It's the leaves. But that's all we got. That's all we got every Saturday, shoved down our throats. That would hold on a second. You're talking about an era when the Canucks were around, and you're probably the great days of the leaves who were crapping just I told you, I love Mike Palmittteer. I told you Lanny McDonald. You can't believe it, but that we only had in Toronto. There you go. I shouldn't have went after anyways, Ryan Pitcher, we got to get this picture in. Yeah you got it there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where we're going unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I see water, I see water. Uh. This is Vasco and his girlfriend Kayla at the top of Giants Head Mountain in summer Land. We did the Giants head grind hike her and I would be happy to take eleven point six on it. Get him in shape for next season. There was great idea, Vasco. Yeah, Vascal great and he's uh, he's rooting for Portugal too. And by the way, this brings back memories to me Summerland, my first radio interview nineteen eighty nine. Right there, Well, it.
Speaker 3: Brings back memories for me.
Speaker 1: The name Vasco, Elmer Moose Vasco, former Blackhawks defenseman. Do you remember him? Oh, back in your.
Speaker 3: Leaf loving days.
Speaker 1: Stop it no relation to Bosco. Summerland, beautiful pooh, you can't beat someone. Look at that photo, Look at that Look at the back of any more photos. That's it?
Speaker 3: Is it just me? RP and White Rock?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: The crying in the stands is from the fans realizing how much they spent getting their hotel and tickets. We're talking about the Argentinian fans yesterday, crying during the anthem.
Speaker 1: That's pretty.
Speaker 3: RP. Tongue in cheek as well. Yeah, lots of fun. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks. The Rock Brothers and Manny Maholtred tomorrow on behalf of We Hope On, behalf of Ryan Derek Rick, Everybody here at Oh Boy and check I'm done, you up to date and the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dollie for all the latest show content.