Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty so.
Speaker 2: Later with mo Kelly.
Speaker 3: We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and on YouTube. And over the weekend, Tuala, me and Stefan all went to see Thunderbolts. I was seeing it for the second time. Tawala was seeing it. I now found out for the second time. Thunderbolts is the number one movie in America with seventy four million dollars domestic gross another eighty six million internationally for a total of one hundred and sixty million. To give you some context, that is behind, if you will, what Captain America Brave New World did in its first weekend on a per screen average basis, total box office basis screen average basis. It is not performing as well as some would have hoped coming after Captain America Brave New World. But the critics review use are glowing for the most part, saying it has heart, Marvel is back, It's what Marvel movies used to be, but the box office response hasn't matched it yet. I said on Friday, when Mark Ronnerd was reviewing it as part of his RUNA report.
Speaker 2: I liked it.
Speaker 3: I really did enough to see it a second time, clearly, but I didn't love it. And you know, unless you're going to go into our Nerdorama segment with us that we do as a separate podcast, too much to discuss. But overall, I would say the summer box office, because we're now into the summer box office season, regardless of the season not changing, it is off to a pretty good start.
Speaker 4: I would say with Thunderbolts, which I liked the first time, I liked even more the second time. I really liked the film, and I do believe that it is a return to what Marvel is really really good at, putting heartfelt, action filled fun stories on the big screen. They put movies on their big screen that satisfy all the quoteras for going to go and see a movie. Escapism takes you to another world, shows you some things that you didn't see before. But with this film, and I understand why this film is not maybe taking off as much as most because this is a film that is primarily focused around bad guys within the Marvel cinematic universe. There are no heroes in this film to speak of. This is a film that anyone who is even tangentially familiar with the Marvel cinematic universe. Knows all these people are bad guys, and they aren't bad guys who had a lot of story behind them in their initial entry. This film successfully fleshes out these characters. There is one character who maybe in the series Falcon in the Winter soldier US agent John Walker played by White Russell.
Speaker 2: Kurt Russell Kur guests in that series.
Speaker 4: Everyone hated him unanimously, and he was supposed to be because he was a dislikable, detestable character. This film actually made him out to be someone that you're like, Damn, man, I could have a dream with that guy.
Speaker 2: He's actually pretty cool.
Speaker 4: And I think that was the glowing and resounding thing for me that I'm like, man, this has a lot of heart.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I actually grew to like these characters even more in this film.
Speaker 2: Also, I liked the second generation aspect. You had Wyatt Russell, who was Kurt Russell's son. You also had Lewis Pullman, who was Bill Pullman's son, who played Century spot On just like his dad was White Russell too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like, is this a CGI rendering of the DH mill Fullman.
Speaker 2: Yes, wild, the.
Speaker 3: Way he smiled, his facial expressions looked just like dad.
Speaker 2: Their dads were both in Tombstone together, by the way. That's true. That is true.
Speaker 3: Yes, another generation of acting, and it's fun It's almost funny because when I look at Wyat Russell when I was, there are times where he sounds so much like Kurt Russell. It was uncanny. I thought he was almost doing an impression of his father. And it makes for his character because I look at that as like, okay, you are not like a pale imitation, but he wants to be Captain America. He sounds like Kurt Russell, but he's not there yet. Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay. I don't mean that as a what he's saying. But also they're sinners and Sinners came in at number three this week, and despite what anyone may have to say about that movie, it has legs that means a lot for the box office. It's now up to one hundred and eighty million dollars domestically. It's still doing well internationally with fifty seven million. I say doing well because horror movies don't traditionally do well internationally, and you also have it's a black horror movie, which you know, there's really no precedent for that international success. It has a worldwide growth of two hundred and thirty seven million. Is the third week. It has not lost any theaters. It actually has increased theaters since it first came out, meaning it's going to be in theaters at least for another three four weeks.
Speaker 4: I look I applauded, I look forward to it. And if you missed it, an imax the Vista Theater is still showing it in seventy milimeters. You gotta see this film in its realist format.
Speaker 3: Why why is it that seventy millimeters makes for a better experience.
Speaker 4: Because it's what the film was shot in. So then you see the fullness of the picture. You see the fullness of everything that was being conveyed, and it's almost like it's like a wider aperture, wider aperture, clear, more crystal picture. Everything you see, the details, all the grains, everything, the sound, everything about it plays differently in its original format, and this is a film that's special for that. He said, I'm going to do this old school and I'm going to really bring back some serious filmmaking. And when you see it, at that aspect ratio. It's a treat yeah.
Speaker 3: Number Number four this week, excuse me. Number three this week was a Minecraft movie. Number four was The Accountant two. Number five was Until Dawn. Number six The Amateur. I still haven't gotten around to see that. I've heard varying reviews on it, but I still want to see it. Number seven The King of Kings, number eight, Warfare, number nine Hit the Third Case, have no idea, and ten The Surfer, have no idea. But the box office is picking up for the summer, and this is when movie theaters need movies to perform and perform well so they will last longer in theaters and they will have more of an attendance during the week for the theaters.
Speaker 4: And already with my mic on and already Disney is already showing up and showing out as the leader as far as the film going experience, because we're starting off the summer arguably with the Thunderbolts, and then within the next few weeks, well the time Thunderbolts is starting to go out, you have the Leelo and Stitch coming in and then Leila's watching that. I'm just I'm just talking about well live action, so what's keeping the theater alive? Mo Lelo and STI. I'm not watching it, am I watch going into Fantastic four, I watch that, and then we get even more Disney stuff towards the end of the year. So again, everyone who wants to right God Disney as woke, you better still hope they stay woke.
Speaker 3: Because because if Disney doesn't do well, your favorite movie theater will close.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 3: End of discussion. Choose one. It's Later with mo Kelly. We have a Diddy update when we come back. KFIM six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Get into the chat. Let's have the fun.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from Kei.
Speaker 2: Kfi.
Speaker 3: Mister Mokelly, We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and on YouTube app. Mister mo Kelly, make sure you drop by the YouTube stream. You can obviously subscribe for free. You can also like and share, and when you subscribe it makes it easier to find Next time. It'll come up just as you're looking for the show and you can jump into the chat.
Speaker 2: Have all sorts of fun.
Speaker 3: We have polls every single segment and there's a community amongst itself, where people talk to each other, say hello, they have conversations unrelated to the show. It's a really really good experience. So join the YouTube chat and the YouTube experience. Something else that we've been following for many months, more than a year now, the whole P Diddy saga and jury selection began today in his federal racketeering sex trafficking case. I don't know what's going to happen, but I do know it's probably no chance in hell that they're going to be able to find jury members who don't have some level of awareness or association with the career and fame of Sean P.
Speaker 2: Ditty comes.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's just possible, even if you weren't directly following the case. It has been major news for the past year or so. It's been discussed on talk radio that it's been discussed on public TV. It's been discussed on obviously commercial TV and cable TV streaming. There's no way you can get around it. TMZ has had a documentary about it already. There's no way that you don't know something about Sean p Didty Kulmmes because he's been in the public eye for the past thirty years. Easy, we're at the same age, we're born the same month. He's maybe twenty days older than me. I say that to say it's going to be very difficult for Diddy to not get a jury who has not had some sort of exposure.
Speaker 2: To this case.
Speaker 3: And despite what anyone may think about him, that is not going to help his cause in any way. I mean, I don't know if they're going to get a conviction or to what degree, but I do know it's more likely than not that he will probably be convicted because what we hear about the case is so very heinous, and depending on what's going to be allowed as far as witness testimony or witnesses testimonies could be also probative and prejudicial, depends on what they allow in or what they disallow. I don't know whether he's going to be able to get past this because just from what we know publicly, there's no telling what prosecutors know which has not been revealed because they didn't want that evidence to get out. There's evidence that they use to secure the indictment, but that's not all the evidence they have. That's not the evidence which is going to get a conviction, and I'm inclined to believe there's more video tape, more witnesses, there's more testimony, there's more seemingly unbelievable accounts of what did he allegedly did to a number of people. Now, what is helping Diddy in my analysis, is that some people who may know about Diddy may not understand the difference between a freak off and the alleged criminality because I hear it from my friends they say, well, this was just consensual sex. Well, he's not being charged with consensual sex. He's not being charged with having freak offs or sex parties. He's charged with racketeering and sex trafficking. And when you have those charges, that says to me, especially in federal cases, there's a lot of digital evidence, probably video evidence and more, which is going to be corroborated by testimonial evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: They have some form of wire tracking of transfers of money, and all they needed was just a few a few of the alleged victims to step up to corroborate not stories against Diddy, but coroborate evidence that they had to say, Hey, is this you were? You moved from this day to this day for the purpose of X, Y and Z. Yes, here's the proof. That's it. Let me give an example, and don't ask me how I know why this is. Just let me give you an example.
Speaker 3: Let's say, for hypothetically speaking, that Diddy hired some sex workers in New Jersey to come perform air quotes at a party in New York, the state of New York.
Speaker 2: That's crossing sex state lines.
Speaker 3: That is sex trafficking, whether the eventual sex was consensual or not.
Speaker 2: So there are levels to this, as they say.
Speaker 4: If his company, the company that he is the head of, that he signs checks for every single thing that goes out, Okay, doesn't matter who he has working under him, who may draft the check, he's got to sign off on it. If he has a stable of talent in New York and he is going to a music convention in Miami, and he has some of this talent in New York that he's familiar with fly down to Miami to perform at a party, and I only can can speculate what happened at the party, even though my speculation comes by way of seeing, okay seeing it, actually seeing the things that happen at one of these parties funded by his company.
Speaker 3: You've been to a Didty party, I've been to a Diddy party. I have not been to the freak Offs, but I can tell you the public facing portions of the party, a lot of sexual stuff was going on.
Speaker 2: It's a lot at just the public facing. You don't have to get invitation to the Apple party. I don't know what has happened in any freak Off. I don't know to what extent.
Speaker 4: All I know is I have seen talent enter a room and perform acts of sex for record executives in DJs.
Speaker 2: I've seen this firsthand.
Speaker 4: So all I'm saying is, even if he wasn't aware of these things happening, someone in this company said hey, here's a line item, I need us to pay this, and that in there could be the smoking gut.
Speaker 3: Awareness does not absolve someone of responsibility or culpability.
Speaker 4: Now, if he can prove that he not only had no idea, but had nothing to do with the money, and these are individuals that just happened to work for him, I don't know. Maybe that is why he is putting in the not guilty plea, because he's like, look, my hands are clean. That was Joe Blow, and Joe Blow is the one who did it all on Joe Blow.
Speaker 3: This is not unlike This is not unlike the trial, the Manhattan trial with Donald Trump, where you have to be able to prove a connection to the money which was moved or used for a certain particular act. That's what the federal prosecutors are going to have to do. And since I know that they got the indictment, there's something to it, they'll have some evidence to back it up, because you just can't get a federal indictment just because you don't like P Diddy or you think he's guilty of something. They're not going to sign off on the grand jury and got the grand jury, they got the true bill and so, and now it's going to trial. Now they're going to have the actual jury hear this evidence. Don't know how it's going to turn out, but the odds are against P Diddy. It's Later with mokel and we're going to talk about Lady Gaga and that concert bomb plot, which to me was amazing but not actually surprising playing in just a moment.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 3: Forty KFI mister mo Kelly live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and YouTube. Eileen Gonzalez is getting a lot of love in the chat. Some of this make it be uncomfortable, but she's getting a lot of love, a lot of love.
Speaker 2: Eileen.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the utube stream. And originally we didn't think you were going to be joining us on the YouTube stream. We thought, since you're filling in for Mark, you may not want all the complexities of a camera and how that might impact your your newscast.
Speaker 2: You said, no, no, no, bring on a camera, bring it on, bring it on. Yeah, like I said, I did news for twenty years.
Speaker 3: No, biggie, alrighty, I absolutely love it. So you're you're gonna be with us permanently. We can get rid of Mark.
Speaker 2: Now, yep, okay, let's give it a b I absolutely love it.
Speaker 3: Part of the reason as we switch gear is part of the reason we like talking about music stories just because Tuala has a history connected to the music industry. I have a history connected to the music industry in different ways. He was in radio and I was in the music labels. But we came together when it came to concerts, especially either planning them or executing them. When I saw this story on the wire talking about there was a plot to bomb a free Lady Gaga concert this past Saturday in Brazil, it brought to mind a lot of concerts and concerns that I've had over the years as far as scheduling a concert trying to and it's not necessarily even on a terrorism level, we had gain problems that we had to worry about. This artist was affiliated with this gang, and these other gangs were coming to town or coming to the concert and may shoot up the play. So I think about all these things that you have to worry about, separate and distinct the actual artists getting there and performing.
Speaker 4: I remember after nine to eleven, every single concert that we did after that, every vehicle had to be thoroughly screened. I'm talking cops with them were coming into artists check in and they got the mirrors underneath the cars, they got the dogs sniffing up complace. And now it's commonplace. But I remember beforehand, we were just you know, extreme pat downs and things like that. After nine to eleven, concert and venue security it became like getting into Fort Knocks, and it has not changed. It from my understanding, as far as producing concerts, that's one of the biggest expenses.
Speaker 3: It is the insurance involved and trying to prepare for, unfortunately the unthinkable. But you have to think about it in advance. And I I'm so glad nothing happened. Let me be absolutely clear, But according to the story, it says, quote, the network promoted the rad radicalization of adolescents, the dissemination of hate crimes, self mutilation, and violent content as a form of belonging in defiance among young people. And that's from a press the least talking about how they managed to dismantle a criminal network that operated online. It's always been my concern, personal concern when going to a concert or a large venue something like that possibly happening. And mind you, this is something that we happen to know about. I'm quite sure there are plenty of other concerts or plenty other plots which were thwarted or just stopped at some point in the process, and we the general public just never knew about it.
Speaker 4: It's tough because working behind the scenes and working so closely with security in the past and working to make sure that venues are safe. After a while, you can't go anywhere without first eyebaw on the exits, you know, looking at the crowd, looking at the dotations of the security, making sure that everything is on point.
Speaker 2: And it's tough.
Speaker 4: I can't ever just go and enjoy a show without having to be in that mindset of like, okay, I was a security patrol on the floor. Is there enough adequate security?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: I see an incident over there? Where's security up? Okay, Okay, We're off to a bad start. This is the mindset that I now have, And when I see this story, I'm like, yeah, yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: I walk into a room if there are a lot of people, and I'm thinking like, okay, where the exits, Like you, is there adequate security? I'm looking at generally the clientele who looks out of place, and if something jumps off, where where's my first route of escape. It's one thing to recognize where the exits are. It's another thing to know that or position yourself accordingly where you can actually get there. Because I've seen and there are another things you have to worry about. It could be a mass shooting, it could be a domestic violence situation. I've seen that, and that escalates out of control. It could be an act of terrorism, it could be just some a fight that breaks out and people start running. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a movie theater like outside and either to be someone shooting or someone starts running. And if you've ever been in that situation when someone starts running, you don't stop.
Speaker 2: To say, hey, what's going on here? Why is everyone running?
Speaker 3: No, you better run your ass too to get away from whatever is going on over there. And then people might end up getting trampled.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, I know there are some who would say, well, it's Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga, she may have attracted it because of her imagery and some of the things.
Speaker 2: It ain't got nothing to do with Lady Gaga.
Speaker 4: It just happened to be that she was doing a humongoush show and it would have made the perfect target for anyone to make a name for themselves. But this could happen to anyone your favorite artists if they are huge and drawing a big crowd.
Speaker 3: I promise you this a crowd. They are at a target. Yeah, it's the crowd, it's not the artist. If you got fifty thousand people who were captive and I mean that a captive audience of fifty thousand people or however how many inherently they're a target.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have to go and look it up.
Speaker 4: But there was I remember when the Taylor Swift tour was up and running that there were plenty of threats that were going out to that why they had to like postpone Certain shows move because of threats, just general threats.
Speaker 3: It happens. It just happens. This is a society that we live in now, unfortunately, unfortunately, and there's no going back. It's Later with Mo Kelly caf I AM six forty live on YouTube and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: And before we get out of here, let me do this final thought. And I've been thinking about this all day long, and I wanted to be clear on how I wanted to present it.
Speaker 2: But I was.
Speaker 3: Thinking about the movie industry, something we talk about every single day on this show some form or another, but usually it's it's not connected to politics, not always, but not frequently, but now it is. And I learned a long long time ago it's not what you do it's how you go about it. It's not what you say, but how you say it and the words you choose. The Trump tariffs, as I said before in previous commentaries, you know the previous Trump tariffs, Those will impact all of us in every facet of life if they come to pass. We still have this grace period before they may all take effect.
Speaker 2: And there's no real argument here.
Speaker 3: Those terroifts, if they take effect, will impact all of us. But just like where it's not what you do and what you say necessarily, it's also true that just because a problem is legitimate, and trade imbalance is a legitimate issue and it needs to be solved, just because the issue is legitimate, it doesn't mean that any old proposed solution is the solution. In the past day, President Trump announced the following quote. I am authorizing the Department of Commerce and the United States Trade Representative to immediately begin the process of instituting a one hundred percent tariff on any and all movies coming into our country that are produced in foreign lands quote close quote. But he also said we want movies made in America again. Now, contrary to the President's popular belief, tariffs are not the magic pill for everything. But going back to it's not what you say, it's how you say it, and it's not what you do, but how you go about it. The President didn't either give the movie studios an he heads up or consult them as to what movie studios and theaters thought the problems of their industry were. He may think Tarif's or the solution, but they aren't, not at all.
Speaker 2: Here's what I mean.
Speaker 3: Virtually every media stock was down today because they were blindsided by this.
Speaker 2: And I'm inclined to.
Speaker 3: Believe the movie studios know their industry better than the president or any president. And here's some else which has gotten lost in this what I call tariff everything approach. Movies aren't goods anymore. They're services. They're distributed digitally. They're quote unquote manufactured in dozens of places simultaneously, not just where they're filmed.
Speaker 2: Post production effects, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Are usually done any number of places around the world for the same movie, regardless of filming locations. So you may have a movie which is filmed in America, like Atlanta, Georgia, for example. Most of the Marvel movies are now filmed in Atlanta, Georgia. Take Captain America Brave New World are used as an example, filmed mostly in Atlanta, but there were some scenes which were filmed in Wahaka, Mexico, Tokyo, Japan, and in the Middle East in Jordan. Now, are we gonna penalize a movie like that or how about a movie like Mission Impossible, which routinely films at exata locations around the world. Does that make those movies less of an American movie? And maybe it's post production is completed by an international agency that is commonplace. You can't film a Mission Impossible movie all on location in America or some sound stage or with CGI, and honestly, you and I don't want that. There's also the reality that it costs much less to film internationally, and that's part of the labor issue. But putting tariffs, and here's the main point, putting tariffs on foreign air quote, foreign movies, whatever that means, doesn't address any of that. You may have heard that the President blames Governor Gavin Newsom for this. Well, I would like to blame Governor Gavin Newsom for a lot of stuff. But this is not understanding the problem. This says that President Trump doesn't understand that movies and movie studios are no longer a Hollywood phenomenon. One of the biggest complaints about NEWSOM is that a lot of Hollywood has left for other states. I'm talking states like Georgia. Talked about Marvel, North Carolina, and Louisiana. Movies, American movies are not just made in California. The infrastructure to make these movies, both big and small, are not necessarily connected to California at all. You have a movie like Russ with Alec Baldwin has made in New Mexico. Movies routinely are not made in California. And that's saying nothing of the TV shows which shoot in various places around the country and even internationally in Canada, which is a frequent stand in for US cities. Are these terriffs going to be placed on television shows?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 3: How does that work? But this speaks to how you go about it. This speaks to how the powerbrokers should have been consulted first before announcing a policy which likely will not bring about the desired result because it hasn't been thought through and constructed with the actual industry players. He's alleging he trying to help and Lastly, just like the tariffs on goods, the other countries will have the opportunity to respond. China routinely denies entry of American movies, as do Russia and Taiwan. Some countries do not rely on our movies and don't care. They do not give a damn and they don't need America to show our They don't need America to show their movies. I bet you most people listening right now have no idea what the number one movie in the world is. It's made over two billion dollars in twenty twenty five, and I'm probably pronouncing it wrong. It's ne Jah two, more than two billion dollars, not one million of which was made.
Speaker 2: Here in the United States.
Speaker 3: This issue is far more complicated than getting on social media and proclaiming tariffs on everyone.
Speaker 2: For KFI AM six forty, I'm mo Kelly, what the.
Speaker 1: US hate us or haven't made up your mind?
Speaker 2: We're glad you're here.
Speaker 1: K s I and k OS.
Speaker 4: T H D two Los Angeles, Orange Live
Speaker 2: Everywhere on the Younger radio