Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Just a few days away from another game day for the Louisville Cardinals, and we'll have you covered for game day coverage the Louisville Football Postgame Show I'm starting. I'll start at the beginning the Louisville Football Pregame Show Presentive up Hellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital. We'll start at eleven AM and we'll go for an hour. At noon it's kickoff, and then as soon as the game ends, we'll start the Louisville Football Postgame Show presented by Alexar White, Lawyer's Suit Distracted Driver dot Com. So hopefully we will have as much interaction as we did last week, full phone lines throughout, and it was of course people you know, reacting, mostly expressing frustration and you know, just needing to vent and we're always here for that. But I hope we have the same type of reaction, meaning the same the same amount of people wanting to, you know, be a part of the show. But it's because you're feeling good, You're feeling as if this team, you know, took a step forward, and I, you know, I hope that, uh, I hope they will when it comes to like confidence level. Somebody asked me this last night, you know, I mean, how you're feeling about. I mean, I to me, it just comes down to are they going to be able to play a clean game? And when I say clean game, I just mean limit avoidable mistakes, right, Don't snap the ball over the punter's head, don't bowel an easy first down that ends up in a in an interception, hold on ball, toll, fumble it. And that's not just players, that's coaches. I mean just being you know, don't get a you know, don't get a silly penalty, don't be I mean, I the one thing I'm still kind of torn about is like I have no problem with Jeff bro I'm going forward and fourth down because that's just what he's gonna do. And honestly, I don't think I don't know this, to be honest with you, I don't know how big of an analytics guy that Jeff is, but analytics or not, I feel like when it's just a yard or two, you know it's a risk, but you have a better chance of getting it than not getting it. Now again, if you don't get it, you gotta you're gonna pay for it. We all know that. But you know, just just tighten it up, come out sharp. And I hope that they will, and I can tell you that I think that they will. But I'm just I'm just basing that off of of hope, you know, being a fan. On one side, it's it's not something that's gonna take a whole lot to fix. It's not like you got to go in the weight room or hit the practice field or go recruit. I mean, avoiding avoidable mistakes is just you know, it's an easy fix. But they've now done it in the two games they've played against real teams. And if you do it a third game doesn't mean you can't eventually tighten it up and get it fixed. But it also just becomes your identity. So I'm confident because I think this team has all the pieces to go out and win this game by a couple of touchdowns. But you know, will that happen, We will see, all right. It's Coffee and Company Field by Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety nit Coffee that's me the company man, mister John Alden alongside taking you up until six o'clock. Five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to give us a call, text line five O two sixty five to three zero seven ninety before we get back into Louisville football, because there's a good text that comes in that I want to get to. But this stat is is crazy. I know we talked about it a couple of weeks ago, but it's only getting worse for the Carolina Panthers. You know, their quarterback that they drafted with the first overall pick just a season ago has already been benched. And Andy Dalton, I mean he's Andy Dalton, but like they did win one game, and he was electric in that game, three touchdowns over two hundred yards. I don't know what his stats were like for the I don't know what his stats look like in the Cincinnati game, but I watched that game a lot of it, and you know he was making some plays. He's clearly not your franchise, but like to know that you drafted a guy with the first overall pick, which, to be fair to the Panthers, most teams would have done that. Most teams who had the number one pick would have taken Bryce Young. But you're the team that did it, and right now it looks like a really bad investment. We'll see, though, because maybe he ends up landing elsewhere, or maybe he ends up getting another opportunity in a year or so and he really looks the part and starts to help you win. I mean, I wouldn't be confident in that if I was a Panthers fan, but like, it's early in his career. So what's wild here is that the two quarterbacks that lead the NFL in passing touchdowns were on the Panthers roster when they decided to go in a different direction and draft Bryce Young. Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield are number one and number two with nineteen combined touchdowns. And to you know, to think that they'd be having that same success in Carolina, no way, Carolina is a mess. I mean, Darnald, I don't really know what explains his success in Minnesota. I mean, he certainly got a really good weapon in Justin Jefferson, and they've got clearly a good young coach who looks like he's gonna have a really good future in the NFL. Baker, you know, Baker, I think has just found a good fit for him and he's really thriving. But like it's still knowing that, knowing if those were your quarterbacks right now, you probably still would be very good. But to see them succeeding elsewhere, it's got to eat at you if you're a Panthers fan. But maybe you can look at what they've done and realize, Okay, yeah, we benched our quarterback after two games and he'd only played what eighteen games in his career and we decided to bench him. Well, maybe he could be Baker or Darnold. But at the end of the day, like those guys had to move on to get a fresh start. It would be so demoralizing knowing that, hey, you're, you know, the quarterback, the player is not the problem. It's your franchise. Like it's just a mess. It would suck to be a Panthers fan, that's for sure, all right. So coming up here at four point thirty, we're going to talk a little SMU Louisville with someone who covers the SMU Mustangs, Billy and Body, who is a beat writer covering the Mustangs for on the Pony that's part of the SMU network or not the SU the on three network, it's the on three SMU SI. So he'll join us coming up here in about twenty minutes, and I'm eager to hear what he thinks about this matchup. I mean SMU had some momentum whenever they started the season. A lot of people looked at them as a team that would adjust well, and it didn't look like they were going to early on. But now here they are in a pretty good spot. But if you remember, you know, their quarterback, Preston Stone, I mean, he was a guy that was getting a lot of love coming off a really good season, but he was so bad in his first two starts. I think it was I don't know if he got two starts for three starts, but they benched him. I think it might have been just after two games and they went with their backup quarterback who's been there three years. I don't think they probably ever felt like he was going to be, you know, the guy for them, but sure enough, he's been a huge factor in them getting it turned around. And you heard Jeff Brom talk about him earlier this week in his press conference, and you know, I'm sure he's doing what a lot of coaches do, which is just respecting the opponent in realize saying, hey, we got to come ready to play. This guy can cause some problems for us. But Kevin Jennings, I mean, he's six foot tall, one hundred and eighty nine pounds, not a big guy, but he's they have become a much better team when he has been leading that offense. His numbers don't wow you, but certainly they're you know, they're impressive. But it's not as if this guy has single handedly, with his individual accomplishments, changed SMU. But it's working for him and they've got some momentum. So again we'll talk SMU coming up here at four point thirty. Let's go to text line BABO two six ' five three zero seven ninety Llen N Federal Credit Union text line. If you guys would like to to interact, questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever, you've got to shoot him. In this text says Nick, of all the critical mistakes that were made, which one is still haunting you five days later? I don't know which one. They're all terrible. I mean, there's not one, I mean, I think the worst of them all as far as like, geez, how did you let that happen? It's got to be the last one. You're down thirty one to twenty four midfield, just a minute to play. You've got a chance to convert a fourth and one to extend the drive and potentially get a score and tie it up. But I mean, to get the delay of game was just a mean unreal. So that one, that one's probably the most like you got to be kidding me, because then you had the fourth and six and Chuck tried to make a play, tried to connect with I think Colin Lacy falls in complete turned it over games over, But I think at that point, to be honest with you, I shouldn't say I wasn't like surprised, because that's really like any pro like take a Louisville out of it. Any team having that penalty in that situation is just inexcusable, And I don't think anybody on the Louisville side would disagree. But you'd had so many silly mistakes already that you know it kind of you know, didn't surprise me. I mean it did, but it didn't. I'll put it this way, there were so many mistakes that should have not happened, avoidable mistakes that I just assumed, like I never in the second half, I never really felt like they were gonna win it, because I'm just thinking to myself, the yeah, it's gonna be tough to overcome the hole that you've dug, and yeah, you're making some progress. You didn't let him score in the third quarter. You certainly can win the game. But it's just very improbable to have that many mistakes happen and still win. And sure enough, that's how it played out. So that one's probably the worst overall. But that's not the one that sticks out to me. The one that sticks out to me is actually something that you might be able to chalk up as a fluke. I mean, you need to catch the ball if you're Jacory Brooks, but we know he can catch the ball. But he had a rare bobbled ball that ended up as an interception which let them score. So that's the one that I again, of all of the mistakes that you just feel like you should have avoided, that to me is the least agree just because that stuff just happens. That's football and you can say any mistake they made is just you know, chalk it up. It happens, but to have that many is inexcusable. Snapping it over the punter's head. That comes back to mind shucks fumble. I mean again that you still got to protect the ball and know where you are. I mean just slot at that point, and I'm sure he would do that again if he got the opportunity. But those are plays that again you still have to take blame, but those are more often seen than snapping it over the punter's head or in that situation, getting a delay a game. But the one that, again I think because it felt like okay, yeah, that's it, there's no way you come back from this, was that that was the interception. I mean, that was one where that So to answer your question, that's probably the one that haunts me the most. But I want to move on or back to the text line. This text says Nick, is it fair to say that Tyler Schuck is Louisville's best quarterback since Lamar Jackson? He's only played four games, only two games against the legitimate teams, at least teams that you know, you've heard of or you're aware of that could potentially give you some trouble. So it's insanely premature to say that, but I'm gonna say it. I've been so impressed with him in both the games against Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. He's not perfect. We just referenced a big mistake that he made, but yeah, he's got a lot of confidence about himself. He's got a really good arm. I like that he's not afraid to take risks. I mean the touchdown pass that he had to Corey Brooks at the beginning of the game where he got rocked. I mean, to even make that, to even try to make that pass is crazy, and he did it and it was a dime. So you know, realistically speaking, we're gonna have to wait and see because it's still early and you've only played two games against legitimate competition. Not to say what he did against the Bums wasn't a good sign, but I feel like as far as a talent perspective, yeah, then, And look, I know that Malik cunning him had a great run here, and who knows what Louisville football would have been under Scott Sadderfield without him, But I don't know it's just it's probably unfair of me to say that, given that Malik played here for five years and was effective as far as a guy that can make some place for you. But with Malik two things that stand out that just kind of keep me from putting him in that bit. You know, that top tier, not the elite tier, but there's a top tier quarterbacks here, and who knows, maybe Shuck ends up snaking the rest of the season. I highly doubt that. But with Malik, he wasn't consistent, and that's a big big factor with quarterbacks. Dudes that are playing power five football at the quarterback position, you can make play with your armor, you wouldn't be there. What separates you is consistency and decision making, and he wasn't great at that, but he could make up to that at times by being able to take off and run. And we probably were not as impressed as we should have been, and certainly not as impressed as most other fan bases would have been with his ability to make plays with his legs because he followed up a guy named Lamar Jackson, who, in my opinion, is the best to ever do it when it comes to making a play at the quarterback position with your legs. But he wasn't consistent and this may not be his fault. This we could I mean, we'll never know. We can blame it on Saturfield if you want, But I kind of feel like with with set, with with with Malie, he never there was never a big moment like he played here a long time. I can't remember like the biggest game he played in where Louisville won. It would have to be a bowl game. I think when they played Mississippi State in SAT's first year. And in SAT's first year, he was very efficient, he really connected with two good big time play I mean that offense was talented man. Javian Hawkins was really good. I mean he's a very forgotten player, but Javian Hawkins was good. And then Marshawn Ford had a breakout year and then obviously to two atwell, who's still making plays in the NFL. So you know, that was a fun year because it was coming off a two win season year one for SAT. But at this point, I mean, you'd have to still put Malik ahead of Chuck just because Chuck's four games into his career. But I wouldn't be shocked at the end of this year, even if Louisville doesn't have a ten win season or something like that, I feel like we'll look back and say, yeah, that quarterback Jeff brought in here was pretty special. And I don't know if you guys picked up on this, and this is another one of the texts that came in. I think he might have come in on the post game show and I just forgot to highlight it and bring it up because it's a good question. But I did hear the broadcaster on the Peacock Network on the Cock Jason Garrett, and I don't even know who does play by play, but they were talking about what Brom had told them ahead of the game about Tyler Shuck. And you know, Brom, I don't know if he's ever said what they shared. It makes sense, but they they gave us some specifics as far as you know, not just that he did it because he needed to. He loves the idea of a veteran quarterback with one year to play. He told them that he said he loves a guy coming in with one year left that's hungry and has experience. You don't have to do a ton of development. It's really about polishing up some things. So I wouldn't be shocked if, like, for the foreseeable future, this is what brom does every year, and I have no problem with it. I don't. I know, people want to see Pierce Clarkson get a run, and I think that'd be great, I really do. But you know, if Jeff is evaluating the quarterback position and he decides to go out and get one of the big big names in the portal, that's a veteran instead of just you know, not recruiting a quarterback in the portal and handing the reins to Pierce Clarkson. I think that tells you that Jeff feels as if their best chance of having success is to go back to go back to the same route. And last year, I know it didn't. I mean again, to say it didn't work out with Plumber really is unfair. Louisville was a good team last year. They won ten games, finished in the top fifteen when it was all said and done, and he was the guy under center during that time. So like Jack deserves credit for being the quarterback for a team that did that, but at times we felt like he was the weakness. So to say that it didn't work out, would be unfair, but that's just the risky take, right. There'll be some guys. I mean, I don't have a list in front of me, but there are dudes who took advantage of their fourth year, maybe a fifth year, and they went elsewhere and they were worse at a new school, and it just it was a head scratcher. Who was the guy Phil Jerkovic who was pretty good at Boston College, a guy that looked like he might be an NFL draft pick. He goes to Pitt Stunk got benched. I mean that's just one example. But yeah, I wouldn't be shocked, if shocked if Jeff is every year looking at a guy like Shuck who's played a lot, has a good arm, has talent, but just because of circumstances, he's looking for a new opportunity. And I think most quarterbacks would want to finish their career with Jeff. Not to say he'll get anybody who wants, but I mean, if I was a quarterback, I think it'd be pretty fun to lead an offense with that guy. Call in the place, all right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side and bring him in from behind. Enemy lins. That's what Benetti used to say all the time when he hosted The Underdogs whenever they would talk about the you know, they would preview a matchup, but skill behind anemy lines. And I remember thinking like, oh, that's really clever, and then I realized, like everybody says that anyways, we're gonna do it going behind anemy lines. Here with Bill Embodie, who covers SMU. He'll join us next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We're about halfway through a Wednesday edition of Coffee and Company. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. I mean, you have other options, there's other things you could be doing, but you're here with us, and we greatly appreciate that. I also greatly appreciate my friends over at the Jefferson Animal Hospital. That's who you should keep in mind if in fact, there is an emergency that happens to your pets. I mean, you probably don't want to keep that in your mind and just be thinking about it NonStop. That's no way to live. But just know that if an emergency does happen with your pet, that they're there for you. They've been around since nineteen eighty they've been in business for forty four years, open twenty four hours a day, all holidays. They got a doctor on site every night including Christmas. They're dedicated staff. They've got you covered when it comes to an emergency or just to take care of your pets. You can schedule an appointment to go see them any day, any night, walk right in and they'll be happy to see you. You are not going to find many places that are open twenty four hours all throughout the year. In case something happens to your pets again, it's the Jefferson Animal Hospital on out or loop. Give them a call Fibo to nine hundred pets, or you can visit Jefferson Vets dot com all right. Also, they have a big event coming up a little later this month, just a little bit under three weeks away. But it's gonna be the uh, the Pet Blood Bank. It's promoting the Pet Blood Bank, that's what it is. But it's Pints for Paws and People where you can bring your pets, you can bring people, hence the name Pints for Paws and People, and you know they'll show you how they I mean, they'll give you demonstration about that shows you your dog or cat donating blood that can make I mean, first of all, a lot of people probably don't know that their their pets can can potentially donate donate blood like humans can, but they can. So if your dog is up to fifty pounds, your cat's up to ten pounds, they can donate. They may qualify to be a blood donor. And if so, any blood donation can help save up to four to six lives. So just keep that in mind. It's October nineteenth from ten to two am to two pm, and you can get more information at pet bloodbank dot com. All right, let's bring them in to talk this Louisville SMU matchup. He is Bill Embody who covers SMU for on the Pony Express. Bill, how you doing this afternoon, and appreciate you taking time to join us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks so much for having me. I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: So I started the show kind of highlighting how this is a huge game for both of these teams when it comes to the ACC standings. Louis Will currently the only ranked opponent as we speak left on the schedule for SMU. You know, Louisville's got Louis's got to play both Miami and Clemson if they want to, you know, find their way and make They got to get past both those teams essentially to maybe get there to the ACC Championship. So I'm just curious what are the vibes like when it comes to the SMU side of things. Obviously a little bit of a of a of an unexpected start going one in one and the first win was a close win against Nevada, But obviously this team has turned things around. Do you do you get the sense that fans feel like this is a big time game for him coming up on Saturday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, this is a huge game for SMU. I mean, now that they've gotten past TCU, they've gotten past Florida State and kind of rebounded from what was a tough loss to BYU, which we've found out as a really good team. You're looking at a program that feels like it can be in contention for the a SEC Championship. You know, regardless of how down Florida State is or tc going on that two game skid from UCF to SMU, this is a team that has proven they don't need to be the biggest, strongest team like a Florida State is. They can play with technique they can play with fundamentals and they play really really hard football, and that is what has carried their run the last two weeks, along with a change of quarterback with Kevin Jennings being the starter now and playing really really well, you know, averaging around seventy one percent completion percentage is two starts, which is really strong. He's settled down, he's he's not turned the ball over like he has at times earlier in his career.
Speaker 3: This is a.
Speaker 4: Team that's improving each each and ever game. So they've got a tough test against Louisville. It could very well be the toughest game on their schedule. Then BYU is a tough one, but that's the way that Cardinals are playing right now, even despite losing that game to Notre Dame. This is one that most SME fans in the SESME teams. He has a huge matchup and a tough one.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Kevin Jennings taken over for Preston Stone. I mean, if I'd have told you before the season started that you'd be in this position, as with SMU having just one loss and that loss being to a BYU team that's actually looking really good at five and oh, I mean they're playing really good football. That's certainly not a bad loss at all. But if I told you you'd be here and Preston Stone wouldn't have been the quarterback, Am I wrong to think that would have been a huge shocker.
Speaker 4: You know, from the national side of things, and from maybe some casual sme fans, it might have been shocking.
Speaker 2: He had a lot of hype in the season.
Speaker 1: It seemed like.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely had a lot of hype.
Speaker 4: He did a lot of really good things for SMEU. I mean, he really stepped up in conference play and set themselves up, you know, to be in that AAC championship and.
Speaker 3: Was playing his best football when he went down.
Speaker 4: But it is a big jump up, and he's a veteran quarterback who you know is kind of is who he is in a sense. And Kevin meanwhile, just kept working. He came in that AAC championship game, had some turnovers, but directed the offense to score enough against a tough two A team to win. That really boosted a lot of people's confidence in him. He played well in the bowl game despite the loss and torrential you know, downpour at times and adverse conditions and a team that you know, kind of wasn't focused on the ball game that a lot of the coaches were focused on recruiting the transfer portal for the ACC quite frankly, and they they just kind of let him compete and keep it getting better. And when I talked about it in fall camp on our message board, a lot of people were surprised as well, you know that it was a competition. They are competing, But that's the jump that Kevin has made over the last year, and you know change being on campus is he's just continued to get better and better, and he's very very calm back there. He doesn't necessarily let anything rattle him. And so when things weren't going well and you know, pressing for you know, many reasons it wasn't just on him wasn't getting it done, they went to Kevin and it was kind of clear throughout the year when he got his opportunities that it was time for him to take over. But he's kind of been working towards this for the better part of eight months now to be in this role. And it's not necessarily too surprising because it was a huge step up for SMU to get to these level of games and to be competitive, they ultimately needed to make a change.
Speaker 2: You know, making that step up to the ACC. SMU is one of three new members to the league. Let's go back in time a little bit. What was that process like to kind of see this thing? I mean, conference alignment's been a crazy circus for many, many years now. I mean two years ago. If you'd have told me that those three teams, cal Stanford and SMU would be in the ACC, I certainly would have believed you. But maybe, you know, I should have at that time known to just expect the unexpected from the SMU side. You know, this was a step up for them obviously the ACC doesn't you know. The future of the league has been talked about quite a bit with lawsuits that have been filed by Clemson in Florida State. But I get the sense that SMU feels feels good about where they are in their first year in the ACC, and then there was a really unusual scenario where they were okay with not necessarily getting a full share of revenue right away. I mean, am I wrong to say that SMU is a really rare program to where everybody's fighting for money and I feel like if they need money, they've got no problem getting it from outside sources.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, they are very much in good shape. You know, that's a credit to the donors and all of the support system that they have in place, to credit to their university for run it the right way in terms of you know, not having millions and millions and millions of dollars in debt or dead coaching salaries and things like that.
Speaker 3: They're in a position where they they are, you know, really.
Speaker 4: In a good spot to do this. So when the booster said, Okay, they're not going to get all of the media revenue from the ACC, that's the way they've got to do it to make it work. You know, the success initiatives from the ACC, those are paid for by SMU. Basically, you know, the the thirty plus million dollars that SMU is foregoing a year that's going to those success initiatives and then being sprinkled out, you know among the schools as they've been added to the TV contract.
Speaker 3: But where the boosters have stepped.
Speaker 4: In is they said, okay, we'll fill that void for SMU, so that SMU is getting you know, fifty fifty something million dollars in new revenue a year from those donations on top of what they were already doing for facilities and coaching salaries and even you know, building out the acc network control centers that need to be on campus. That was twenty two million dollars.
Speaker 3: That they got. They got that bill after the fact.
Speaker 4: So they they're in just such a really good position where yes, they need other people to obviously help and contribute, but they have that group of billionaires and in particular the First Week Society that raised one hundred million dollars in seven days to step up and put SMU in this position. And yeah, they don't care about the Clemson Florida State lawsuits. You know that they feel like this league is going to be stable and going to be in a position where even if one day they do leave or they do get out, it's it's a better situation than what SMU is in. There's no question about that in the American and they feel like this is an opportunity now where like they're being competitive, beating TCU, beating Florida State. If they can keep that up and show their worth, you know, they're a school that will be wanted by whoever, even something you know, catastrophic kind of happens to the ACC. One day they'll be they'll be in good shape to be on the right side of this you know haves and have not discussion that will obviously continue to go on for years and years. But that's the investment level that they're making, and they're they're committed to winning at a at as high of a level as they can get to, and I think they've got a pretty good ceiling now that they're you know, in a power conference.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating to me because you know, money's always mattered when it comes to college athletics. Resources have always mattered, But now you can use money to really take big, big steps forward. They've already done that with the jump to the ACC or it was a no brainer for the league to not take them in if they're willing to come in with that arrangement, And there really hasn't been that many schools that have made huge jumps, right like the rich kind of got richer in. Some programs are in a better spot. But as sim U's got resources, I feel like they could be one of them. They're sleeping giant. I feel like when it comes to the ability to utilize an il resources and just you know, money, Matt, It's always mattered, but now you can use it to go get some really good players and really climb the ladder. And again they've already done it with their their move of the acc and they're off to a good start here in their first year. When it comes to this matchup between these two teams, you know what about Louisville would would you look at as a concern for SMU. Obviously the Cards favored by a touchdown. They're coming off a tough loss to Notre Dame. But even though f Shu's down, still an impressive performance. Impressive performance from SMU the Mustangs. But what do you see about Louisville that you think could potentially cause some problems here for this team?
Speaker 4: You know, I think the decision making from Tyler Shugg has been you know what's really stood out to me.
Speaker 3: I mean, they they are rolling in.
Speaker 4: The passing game and they're not afraid to, you know, take take shots down the field, and that's something where SMU's secondary is still.
Speaker 3: Work in progress.
Speaker 4: You saw djuungal A have a little bit of success. He had his best passing day of the season. I believe against SMU and then eventually thats defensive line that has been so good the better part of the last year and a half step up and start to wear on them and you know, I ultimately knocked them out of the game and things like that. But you know, you you've got a passing game that is is really really impressive, and I think when when SME looks at that on film, they're they're going to be somewhat you know, unsure of how it's going to go because the secondary has been a little bit of a question this year. And then you know, the matchup of the trenches was a big thing going into the Florida State game for SMU, and they were able to you know, find their groove run into football with Brishard Smith, who's been excellent this year. Louisville's got a really good run defense, and that's a matchup where if SMU can't get the ball rolling on offense in the run.
Speaker 3: Game, it's going to be a long afternoon in all.
Speaker 4: Likelihood, because when SMU has been able to run the ball and do it consistently and carry, you know, dish out forty plus carries, they're a really hard team to beat on the rett.
Speaker 3: Lastly, those are kind of the matchups to watch and really how the game will be either one or lost. For rescume you.
Speaker 2: Bill and Body is our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. He covers SMU for on Theponyexpress dot com. Obviously, SMU has got a pretty big fan base. Do you expect many fans to make the trip here to Louisville. I know they've probably got They probably got fans that don't just live near where SMU is located. They probably have fans that have, you know, moved away after college. But I since on social media that there's there could be a you know, not a crowd where you're looking at fifty to fifty or even you know, seventy thirty. But it sounds like SMU does travel pretty well, although it's not very close from SMU to Louisville.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's going to be a great crowd. I think people are excited. This is the type of destination that they they wanted when they when they went into this league, and you know, they've they've got the Bourbontations.
Speaker 3: A lot lined up and all of those things there we go.
Speaker 4: That they're excited about so, I think, I think there's gonna be pretty good crowd up there for that game, and and you know they're going to travel well. And I think on the flip side, whenever, you know, Louisville fans figure out Dallas like Florida State Florida State fans did last week, it'll be a pretty big destination for them as well.
Speaker 2: That had to be sweet for SMU fans, not only to to get a big time win, even though Florida State was was clearly already struggling at that point, but man to to take down a team in that fashion that didn't like the idea of SMU joining the league, suing the league clearly looking down at everybody else, and then to beat them down pretty bad. And then did I see that the band played like the sad like a sad slow version of the Florida State fight song? Did that happen? That's well done?
Speaker 4: If so, that you're exactly right. I think as much as SMU, the narrative, you know, wash they're giving up all this money and things like that, it's money that SMU didn't have. I mean that that that they're not even giving up, you know, they're they're coming out on the right side of this. You know, they go from making seven million dollars a year in the American to fifteen million or so with the whatever revenue they get from the ACC. And so there's been this narrative around SMU that's probably a little just different than what it truthfully is. And Florida State has pushed that, you know, with their lawsuit, you know, naming SMU as a school that's not committed and you know wasn't winning and you know, was passed over by the Big twelve for you know, reasons that are very clear now. You know, the Texas schools in that conference didn't want this program to be off the mat and be on a level ground when it comes to recruiting and resources and all of those things.
Speaker 3: So there was a lot of talk talked by Florida.
Speaker 4: State over the last year or so and for SMU to go out and beat them at home at night when ACC Network came to town. I've been covering the program for a for a decade now, and it was one of the sweeter wins for that entire fan base in front of a sold out crowd. It was really special for a lot of people just knowing the history of the Pony Express and the death penalty and all the things that Estimy has done in the past leading to this moment. A lot of people deserve a lot of credit for the program to get back to it, and you couldn't have scripted a better you know, start back to that power conference level that they're now truthfully rightfully at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, FSU, this is backfired and played out as poorly as it possibly could, I think, and there's no sympathy from anyone other than maybe you know themselves. It's it's really been I hate to say it, but it's really been aw It's been awesome to see because I mean, I cannot think of a scenario where this could have played out worse for them, since they filed a lawsuit and you know, became snobs and now now they're one of the worst teams in the ACC it seems. But yeah, they're not going to get much sympathy around here, that's for sure. But one more question for you, But when it comes to this SMU team, when it comes to personnel, we've talked about Kevin Jennings. You mentioned Smith at running back, who's got over five hundred yards on the ground. I know they utilized the tight end RJ Maryland quite a bit. What's another name that maybe Louisville fans should keep an eye on, maybe somebody that might have a big impact in this game that maybe, you know, the box score wouldn't indicate their value.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll give you two. And they're both on the defensive line. For Simu.
Speaker 4: One is Tank Booker, who is built like a tank about three hundred fifty pounds transfer from Markansaw by way of Maryland, and he's been terrific in the middle, just not showing up on the stat sheet, but impacting plays, disrupting them, doing all of those things. And that's allowed a guy like Elijah Roberts, who is a budding star in the ACC now, to be able to make those disruptive plays. I mean he hit dj Rie Ungole probably I think a half dozen times on Saturday against the Knowles. He's forced to fumble twice in the last two weeks. He's been able to just turn into this kind of monstar looking guy off the edge of where's the neck role. He's just a huge human being play yeah, yeah, he wears it well, trust me. He is not somebody to mess around with and and he's a really nice guy too. He's bounced back basically from Miami. You know he was he was an afterthought last year when SMU brought him in in January twenty twenty three, and he was brought in alongside a big nose tackling Jordan Miller, who was great for resum me last year, some receivers that were highly touted out of high school running back, and then they get Elijah Roberts who kind of had, you know, okay stats, nothing crazy, didn't really start that much, and he turned into an AAC Defensive Player of the Year type of player. And this year was all about him returning to the ACC. He came back to asking me for another year, and he's proving why I think he could creep up into the day two picks of the NFL Draft.
Speaker 3: He just looks the part.
Speaker 4: Great guy, great support system, and he's got an opportunity to once again make himself some money this weekend. And so far, so good this season at doing that.
Speaker 2: Bill, I really appreciate you making some time for us. Good insight there and we're looking forward to a good matchup on Saturday. Thanks again anytime.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me all right.
Speaker 2: That's Bill Embodie, who covers SMU for on the Ponyexpress dot com. Good stuff there, Let's get to a quick time. I will come back and wrap at the five o'clock hour right here on Sports Talk seven ninety very short segment here before we get to the top of the hour and finish strong with our third and final hour at five o'clock. Did we get dumped here in Louisville at the Yum Center. I mean, Louisville, the YOUM Center has hosted regional rounds multiple times and it's been a big hit, not only you know, for us here as basketball fans, but I know the NAA values Louisville as a basketball city to where when you host the regional rounds, the Sweet sixteen and the Elite eight, you usually get a great crowd, not only because fans will travel, but also people around here will go just because we love hoops more than most. But in twenty twenty seven and we will be hosting here at the Young Center the first and second round games. So I mean that's a demotion, to be honest with you. Maybe they're just splitting it up and sharing it, but that year, the regional rounds will be in Kansas City, New York, San Antonio, and Los Angeles. So I didn't realize that the Final four is going to be in Vegas in twenty twenty eight. So here are the next four years of the Final four coming up San Antonio and then next year twenty twenty six will be Indianapolis, and then Detroit's gonna get it in twenty twenty seven, So the year that Louisville will be hosting in the first round, you know, the final destination for people looking to win a championship will be in Detroit, followed by Vegas, then back to Indy. Indy always gets more than most because it's kind of you know, first of all, the NCAA is there, and Indy. I don't know many people like look at India as a is it cool city to go to and have a weekend. I love Indie. I mean, obviously my teams are in Indie, my Pacers, my colts, but like that is nothing to do with it. I just think Indianapolis is a like if I if I was going to live in a in a in a city that wasn't Louisville, it would be Indy and mostly because it's closer. I mean, it's not like I'm traveling, you know, eight hours away. But I like Indianapolis. But I feel like anytime somebody talks about it and and brags on it, it's it's mostly just because they're you know, talking about how it's great for those for those kind of events. But anyways, we got to run five o'clock hours next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety