Speaker 1: Today's presenting sponsor is simply Safe Home Security. Most home security systems wait for a smashed window or a kicked indoor that's already way too late. With simply Safe, active Guard outdoor protection, AI powered cameras detect outside parties and then a live agent intervenes to send them running before a break in even begins. With simply say, if you can customize your system to fit your needs, it's more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras, and twenty four to seven professional monitoring. The app guided set up is simple and there's no drilling required so you can install an arm your system in under an hour is optional. As always, there are no long term contracts or cancelation fees. Monitoring plans start at around a dollar a day. Our CEO, Lucinda Wow, recently had a simply Safe system installed in her home.
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 3: Huh? Didn't know that? That's great?
Speaker 1: And she you know, installation was quick and easy. The system was up and running in no time, running before her you know. We've partnered with simply Safe to offer an exclusive discount to our listeners. Right now you can get fifty percent off your new system by visiting simply safe dot com slash crooked. That's half off. It's simply safe dot com slash cricket. There's no safe like simply safe. Welcome to Applied Save America. I'm John Favrau, I'm John Love It Tommy Utur. On today's show, we'll talk about the war with Iran, which claimed more American lives over the weekend and wounded dozens, which the Pentagon is trying to hide. We'll also talk about Ice being back in the headlines after killing people in Texas and Maine. Stalk about how the administration is responding and what we know about how Trump's deportation agenda is playing with voters, Latino voters in particular. We also have a bunch of news from the world of Democratic primary campaigns. Former Maine Senate President Troy Jackson is all but certain to be the Democratic nominee to take on Susan Collins in Maine. There's more chaos in the Wisconsin governor's race, and AOC and Bernie rallied for Abdul l Said in Michigan as his primary against Haley Stevens heats up. But let's start with some big news from the weekend. Spain's one tozer win over Argentina in the World Cup final in the Meadowlands, capping off an incredible tournament. No one is sadder about it ending than Donald Trump. Wasn't about to let her return to full on war with Iran stop him from inserting himself into the closing ceremony.
Speaker 3: President of the United States on the field.
Speaker 1: Is now so they can out of the can edit him.
Speaker 3: Out of that.
Speaker 1: Australian broadcaster at the end there, do you guys see the caption of the picture in the Guardian now where Infantino is with Trump and it's just the two of them, and the caption is Giohnny. Infantino carefully explains to Donald Trump that he is not part of the Spanish national team.
Speaker 2: It's about right though.
Speaker 3: Like the energy of accidentally realizing you're in the money shot of a beach wedding, you know, like that, that is what it reminded me of, Like they're about to do it. Get the fuck out of the way.
Speaker 1: Did you see the team that the players were doing the Trump dance and therefore really appreciating his involvement because Trump did this to one of them and looking confused, he just was like, say, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Milk a cow back to you. Like my guess is they're just happy because they won the World Cup and this is the best day of their life. That would be my guess as to why they're happy.
Speaker 3: Like for sure, but if a monkey did a gesture to me at the zoo, I'd do it back. It wouldn't be a show of support for his politics.
Speaker 1: I might not throw my poo back at him.
Speaker 2: But right it's like, yeah, it's like it's cool to go to the game. I'd go if I could go. It's cool to present the trophy, but like, get out of the way, dude. And you also did this at the FIFA World Cup final in like twenty twenty five, and like you can see Infantino trying to get him to leave the stage and he.
Speaker 1: Just won't do it.
Speaker 2: He just basks in the glory of the cheering, like he genuinely believes it's for him. I would feel like imposter syndrome and run off there.
Speaker 3: I think he also believes he's wanted there. Like like I'm Donald Trump. Everybody loves when I'm part of their stuff.
Speaker 1: I'd feel imposter syndrome. If I was the president of United States and the US one right, pould still say something and be like extra proud, but I wouldn't get in the fucking picture.
Speaker 2: And especially with Spain, like the NATO sum had a couple of weeks ago, he said, quote, I don't want anything to do with Spain. They're hopeless bad people. He's gonna call them bad people because they like didn't support the war with Iran and didn't want us to use their basis.
Speaker 1: Did you see the USA today did a piece on the Trump curse and they calling it the Trump curse.
Speaker 4: Awesome.
Speaker 1: So I didn't know of all about all of these, but so Trump said before the World Cup final, he didn't pick a side, but he said it's hard to bet against Messiah. Argentina lose. Trump intervenes to get the red card reversed. US loses to Belgium. Trump shows up at the NBA Finals. It's the only game the Knicks lose. Twenty twenty five, Trump goes to the Washington Commander's Game. They lose to the Lions forty four to twenty two. That same year, he goes to the Ryder Cup, the US loses. They're calling it the Trump curse.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. The other thing about that Commander's game is so he goes to the Commander's game, the Commanders get stomped by the Lions, and then at that same game, Alliance receiver name I'm and Ross Saint Brown did the Trump dance, and then the Lions lose five of eight games and missed the playoffs. It's even better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's like basically there's there's three possibilities. Okay, One is that it's luck. The other is that he brings a terrible energy everywhere he goes, right that he and that his that's documented, right for sure, I think, and that like corrupts anyone who's seen to be rooting for You can't help with someone playing knowing that Trump is on your side, allowed to infect you with the kind of negativity and failure that surrounds him. Do you think it's worth considering the third possibility, which is much like Odysseus discovering the Cyclops on his way home due to his failure to observe like morality and the conflict in Troy, Trump is being punished everywhere he goes.
Speaker 1: We all catching stray.
Speaker 3: Isn't that well that that's take it up with zeus, my friend men hard.
Speaker 1: We are the ones being sacrificed.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it's a the punishment is it's not clean. You know.
Speaker 2: Gonna tell you my favorite Trump sports story from over the weekend is there's a golfer named Bryce and d Chambeau. Did you guys go across this get a melt down? At the Open Championship. You got a penalty for like just stepping in tall grass that would have gotten the way of his swing, and he got a two stroke penalty. So it throws a hissy He deserved, He totally deserved. He deserves. He throws a hissy fit, and he sucks he's annoying anyway. He throws his hissy fit. He threatens to not play the next day, basically quit the tournament and take his ball and go home. He takes all these rules officials, makes them visit the site, and then he goes back. In the midst of it. He threatens to call Trump and tattle on the mean rules officials if they don't give him as way.
Speaker 3: He also shut down the whole tournament too, right, they all had to wait with the words, and they all had to wait for him to be done with his his uh uh fit, and even the other players who are watching.
Speaker 1: Were like that, come on, man, yeah, I mean this is what Trump has created. You know. It's like everyone knows if they're friends with Trump or they suck up to Trump, they can just tattle and get what they want, or at least try to do that.
Speaker 3: Everybody's calling the manager, right, I want a table over. You know, I know Trump, but sir, you don't have a reservation. I know the owner.
Speaker 2: Of the German broadcast of the World Cup final. So they cut to Infantino and Trump in the box. They show them getting presented the trophy, and the announcers go, well, that's a violation of all the rules. Those two were made for each other, fascinated by power and by themselves too.
Speaker 1: Good stuff.
Speaker 3: HiT's good stuff, tough, tough to hear from Germans.
Speaker 2: The cool like the cool part of the story, right. That sort of suggests the Spanish team would not like Trump's politics. As one of the players, a guy named Nico Williams, his mom and dad walked two thousand miles from Ghana to Spain, she was pregnant with his older brother at the time. Like across the Sahara Desert, Barefoot managed to get into this tiny bit of Spanish territory to become citizens, and then he's playing on the national team. That's probably why he wouldn't like Trump's immigration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wouldn't like his politics. He wouldn't be possible with Trump's politics. So unfortunately, Trump trying to make the World Cup about Trump did steal the spotlight from the tournament's real hero. Let's play it.
Speaker 5: We put on the largest sporting event in the history of the world, and everybody in winning pief in the White House looks at the the FBI, to our inner agency partners, the DHS, the state locals, to everybody to figure out how to get six and a half million people into the US and thenso these games without a single major security incident. We have lived up to that measure because you guys are put in the time. It's truly, truly incredible.
Speaker 1: We just can't say enough about the preparation and the execution has been flawless. He's in every shot. I thought of this was gonna like, you know, thinking like all the law enforcement officials who pulled this off. It's like, whatever, It's fine. Every single shot of that video is Cash Betel.
Speaker 3: Imagine if we had a crook at All hands to celebrate a year of making great content, and through it, we played a montage of just our headshots known.
Speaker 2: To be surprised.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when I.
Speaker 2: Gotta laugh leaning with the chip, I gotta say what my So, I didn't watch that video before so we could see it live. My reaction to that video is, who is this for? You know what I mean? Like, who's getting jacked up to watch? Cash Btel? Is it for Donald Trump? Because he wants he wearing a suit, not like the weird thin hoodie T shirt thing.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's probably for Trump. It's also he's just in super defensive mode now, Cash Betel, because he thinks everyone's not fair, right. But it's like, you know, you think I'm drunk, and you think I fucked this up, and I tweet in the middle of investigations just because I try to, you know before before, So like I think he's just like, I'm gonna we got one. We did one, okay, so I'm going to brag about it now.
Speaker 3: It's interesting though, because it's like, let's just take it at phase value. Let's not even forget the aesthetics of it, which are ridiculous. Cash Motel, in what ways are you responsible for the World Cup going? Well? Just walk me through some of them.
Speaker 1: But saying he's responsible for the World Cup not not going badly.
Speaker 3: But that requires are you? But that that requires people wanting it to go badly? That he's stymied, right like right, like, what are you talking?
Speaker 1: I'm sure he's feeling like there was, you know, a planned attack on the UFC fight at the White House and they foiled that. So he's probably thinking himself like I didn't get enough credit. I need to put up videos from now on when there's no attacks.
Speaker 3: Not enough likes in faves for that foiled plot.
Speaker 2: It's just amazing, Like here's me waving getting out of my G five private jet. Man of the people, Cash Hotel. Also, the one thing we know that.
Speaker 1: Cash I think is interagency partners.
Speaker 2: Cash Mittel has been working hard on trying to arrest New York Times reporters who reported on Trump's air force One. Did you see today that the FBI or the dj IS subpoenad records not only from these journalists, but from their spouses and one reporter's mother. Yes, got the mother's phone records.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they'll bring that up to Trump any of the reporters in the White House Correspondence Association when he's on the Dais the correspondents dinner this week?
Speaker 3: Maybe? Yeah, maybe the mentalists can. Maybe doctor Oh's Can Can or whatever his name is, those those man night.
Speaker 1: It's a night where we're putting politics aside and the fact that you're snooping on our report. My mom's yeah, that's what're you was gonna put it aside for the night to just sort of honor, just be in the same room.
Speaker 2: I think O's could guess the mom Yeah it's good, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, why don't they just ask him for the.
Speaker 1: I forgot it's fucking O's Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know, I learned that. I learned that. I learned that from a magician. Yeah I really did. But but yeah, like we asked him, he'll know, you should just you do that, mentalize that.
Speaker 1: Mentalistic anyway, enough of that, Trump, who uh who just last month told reporters he was skipping his son's wedding because of quote a called Iran did not feel the same way about attending the World Cup, probably because, according to the White House, Iran is no longer much of a threat.
Speaker 3: They have been literally obliterated.
Speaker 6: Never in the history of warfare has an enemy suffered such clear and devastating, large scale losses in a matter of weeks.
Speaker 7: Iran has no air defenses, Iran has no air force, Iran has no navy. Operation Epic Fury was a historic and overwhelming victory on the battlefield.
Speaker 1: The United States has all the cards. The straits are now opened. The Iranian military is now destroyed.
Speaker 3: We've won. Let me tell it, We've won. You know, you never like to say too early. You won.
Speaker 2: We won the bet in the first hour. It was over. Well.
Speaker 1: Apparently someone forgot to tell the Iranians because they've been attacking US forces all over the Middle East for the last nine days straight. They've killed at least three Americans and likely a fourth that that soldier is still officially considered missing. The Iranian attacks in Jordan have also reported injured dozens of American troops and damaged helicopters, news that the Pentagon has just decided not to report, according to The New York Times, and if you're wondering how it's possible that Iran can still pull off these kinds of attacks. You're not alone, here's Fox News' Maria Barbarromo.
Speaker 4: I don't understand how it's possible that Iran has the capabilities to fight this way and continue to try to lash out at Gulf countries and US military bases because the US has obliterated Iran's military. And the President continues to reiterate.
Speaker 1: That I'm reading these talking points and for some reason, they're not true.
Speaker 3: I love the idea of her hold on a second. I mean just the camera follows her out down the stairs to another room with the whiteboard, and she starts doing the math on the whiteboard, trying to like figure out how the thing, and it's like, I don't, this doesn't, this isn't. I don't think they're I don't think they're telling the truth.
Speaker 1: The president keeps read. The President would not iterate, let alone reiterate if something's not true like this. He would never say that maybe.
Speaker 3: I just haven't been asking my questions loud enough.
Speaker 1: Trump doesn't have a good answer, or really any answer to Maria Berdromo's question. He threatened revenge on truth social and sent commonounce more strikes in retaliation. But this is all he said after the World's Cup when reporters asked about the Americans who were killed.
Speaker 6: We feel very badly, but you know, those great people, those great patriots, are out there fighting that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 3: This is a far bigger job that we're doing.
Speaker 6: We were doing a little job and stopping them from having a certain capability. Now we're just ending it.
Speaker 1: What Tommy, would you make of Trump's answer there just a little confusing and just the general developments over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Well, clearly he's pulling from a deep well of empathy at the top there. But on the bigger job part, it's like there's I think there's two ways to interpret it. One is like his factory setting is stuck on bullshit, right, so he's like, now we're reopening the street, and that's an even bigger message. He he just does hyperbolea with all things. But maybe it is the beginning of a bigger mission that could include like a permanent escort mission with the Navy, or taking territory on the coast to try to like permanently claim the Straight or from moves. I don't think we know. I don't think he knows yet probably what he wants to do. My assumption has been that Trump does not want to restart the war because he doesn't want to raise gas prices right now in advance of the midterms. But the weekends events show how dangerous the status quo is and that Iran is learning. The Journal had a piece about how they've adapted their missiles to move in the sort of like terminal part of the flight where they're coming downs they can evade our air defenses. And we still have tens of thousands of service members in the Middle East that seem like they're not well defended at all. And so like either way, like the reporting, it makes it sound like he wants to not go back to a full scale war. But as you noted, Iran has been hitting targets all over the Middle East, and the Pentagon is putting out statements that they've hit targets in Iran for the last ten nights in a row.
Speaker 1: So that's not a war.
Speaker 3: What is it we are read the war is restarted. It's whether he whether Trump wants to go so far as to acknowledge that the seas far that has failed has failed.
Speaker 1: Which he sort of has. I mean, he's like the MoU is done, who cares? But then and they've told Congress they're officially back in war.
Speaker 3: I guess the other distinction would be there would be some explanation for what the strategy is behind what they're hitting, other than as tit for tat degrading, Yeah, degrading capabilities generally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is I mean, Trump very well may not want a return to full scale war for all the reasons you outlined, But this is the problem with escalation. It's like it's unpredictable, and they strike, and then we have to strike back, and then they strike back again, and so suddenly the space for diplomacy becomes very very small, and they just keep going after each other.
Speaker 3: Well, it also like Americans are dying. They're a group of fans, like he's at the World Cup. Their group of families are having the worst experience of their lives. Their lives are being ripped apart. Because Trump doesn't want the war to escalate because of his political reasons.
Speaker 2: This is just a blip.
Speaker 3: He's very sorry, it's very bad. It's so glib, But you know that if what he wanted to do is escalate, right if Americans had been killed and he was aiming to start the war, or he would just declare the greatest violence against the United States, right, like the American service member are in harm way being hurt by this are purely just sort of pawns either to be like either to downplay or lie about what's happening to them if it doesn't suit your story about how much work deestimating the military, or he can use it as an argument for why we need to escalate if he so chooses. This episode is sponsored by Better Help or finally talking about mental health openly, but actually reaching out for help is incredibly difficult. New data for Better Help confirms why Betterhelps. Twenty twenty six, State of Stigma reports survey two thousand Americans and revealed that eighty five percent of Americans believe getting support is wise. He gets seventy four percents. A society discourages people from doing so. And there's a person I know they very clearly need a lot of therapy, and instead they already lost a race for governor of South Carolina and enemy run on a snap election for center instead of getting the help he or she needs.
Speaker 1: Best of luck with.
Speaker 3: Over thirty thousand therapists. Better Help is the world's largest online therapy platform, having served over six million people globally, and it works with an average rating of four point nine out of five for a live session based on over one point seven million client reviews. Better Help therapists work according to a strict code of conduct and are fully licensed in the US. Better Help does the initial matching work for you so you can focus on your therapy goals. A short question here helps you identify your needs and preferences, and their twelve plus years of experience in industry leading match for film and rate means they typically get it right the first time. If you aren't happy with your match, switched to a different therapist at any time from their tailored recks. Don't let stigma stand in the way of support. Start therapy with better Help. Sign up and get ten percent off at betterhelp dot com slash PSA That's better h elp dot com slash PSA.
Speaker 1: Pot America is brought to you by policy Genius. Summer comes but once a year. We all want to be present and enjoy those sweet summer moments with family without life admin tasks heying over our heads. Luckily, finding the right life insurance policy is simple and straightforward. With policy Genius, get ready to enjoy summer to the fullest knowing your family is protected. Prioritize peace of mind. Lock in your life insurance today. Policy Genius is an online insurance marketplace that allows you to compare quotes from some of America's top insurers side by side for free. Their listen's team helps you get what you need fast so you can get on with your life easily. Find what you need coverage, amounts, prices, terms, no guesswork, just clarity. Policy Genius helps you find your most affordable policy that meets your needs. They answer questions, handle paperwork, and advocate for you throughout the process. It's important to get life insurance because who knows. One day then what's your family going to do?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not a fun task to do, which is why policy Genius is there to help you do it. With policy Genius, you can find twenty year life insurance policies starting at just two hundred and seventy six dollars a year for one million dollars in coverage. Head to policygenius dot com slash cricket to compare life insurance quotes from top companies and see how much you could save. That's policygenius dot com slash croocket. Think about Benghazi with Obama, think about abby Gate with Biden in Afghanistan. Now we now have more Americans killed than in either of those situations. And this is one where the President United States and his entire administration have said the Iran is obliterated. We have one The mission is like not just mission accomplished, like oops, there was a banner behind Bush. This is like every day they're saying that their military is destroyed, decimated, the sky, We control the skies, the strait is open. And also for nothing the stated objectives, Like, they haven't done they haven't achieved anything. They didn't destroy the regime, they didn't get the they didn't make any progress on their nuclear program. They they didn't destroy their ballistic missile programs, they didn't destroy the proxies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're in a situation where it it feels frustrating and unsatisfying because they don't care about getting caught in those lies by the mainstream press the way every other president in history has. But when you look at the polling, like this is the most popular war in modern American history, and it's going to get worse as gas price is ticked back up. And there's just no endgame here, like the Iranians want to control the straid of four moves. Trump can't let that happen. How do you sort that out?
Speaker 1: And you want to talk about the Houthies now and what they announced that there's a blockade of Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the Houthis. So back at twenty fifteen, the Saudi's launched this disastrous war on the Houthi rebels and Yemen. One hundreds of thousands people died because of it, mostly the famine. In twenty twenty two, they anounced the ceasefire and then some peace talks. So Ben and I were talking about last week this kind of fragile ceasefire kind of erupted because the Saudis bombed the Sanat Airport. I think they were trying to stop in Irgc plane from landing back in Yemen that had been at the Supreme Leader's funeral in Yemen. We were kind of like, oh, that's ominous, Like why are we kicking back up this conflict? And so today on Monday, the Houthi's announced that they're going to embargo Saudi ships in the Red Sea via the Babbel Mandeb Straight. So that's the choke point out of the Red Sea to the east where a lot of oil and gas flows. And so I don't know how this would work or how they would implement it, but if you have the Straight ofh hor Moves closed and then access to the Red Sea shut off, that chokes off like another five percent of the world's oil and reform petroleum products that pass through that straight. And so the saudis. The way the Saudi has been getting around the Straight of Horror Moves being shut is they have a pipeline that goes west and south and they've been pumping oil and gas out and getting it out through the Red Sea. If they can no longer do that, it's a huge reduction supply. At the same time, you have the Russians. Russian oil refinery capacity has been cut in half to the Ukrainian strikes. You have all the oil reserves depleted because of the war because we all just spent it down to try to keep cost slow. And then China had been limiting imports during the conflict. Now they're ramping them back up, so you could really see a serious supply shock in price increase, so one to watch. I mean, maybe the Huthis are not actually gonna go through with this, and they'll try to calm things down with the Saudis. But this is kind of like the nightmare scenario in terms of energy price.
Speaker 1: And oil went over ninety dollars a barrel briefly over the weekend. It's now in the eighties. But gas is up to four dollars a gallon again. And this is right at the beginning of this new phase of the war.
Speaker 3: And the who Theis don't have to completely control this waterway to create a bunch of fear and force ships to either delay, go around, raise the cost of insurance, what have you, right, And you know, having Iran and Iranian proxies in charge of these two choke points through a quarter or more of the world oil goes through is really sort of once again showing how much more powerful Iran has gotten because of this conflict. Even the language the who The's used was just basically, well, this is Trump is doing a blockade on a book blockade in the Strait of hormones. We're going to do a blockade on a blockade on this side too. That's just how it goes.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Republican, the Republican Congress has done absolutely nothing to rain him in on this. You have a few voted for like a War Powers resolution, and that's about it. And now how you know they have a week before they all go on break until mid September, and the House is trying to pass the NDAA. Also the supplemental exer like billions and billions and billions of dollars more, which is just absolutely fucking crazy nuts bills. So ICE is back in the news for all the wrong reasons after agent shot and killed one unarmed man in Houston, Texas and another in Bidterford, Maine. Both men were fathers and husbands who had been living and working in America for years, Both were driving at the time, and both were victims of mistaken identity by ICE. After the shooting in Maine, DHS Secretary Mark Wayne Mullen ordered a temporary pause on vehicle stops by ICE officers, a pause that Susan Collins quickly took credit for, which was then overturned by Trump in less than forty eight hours after an intense right wing backlash to Mullen, despite the fact that ICE has arrested a record number of people since Mullin's been confirmed, even hitting Stephen Miller's two thousand arrests per day quota a few times this month. This is, of course, thanks to the one and seventy billion dollars that Susan Collins and her fellow Republicans funneled to ICE, which seems to be giving badges and guns to anyone who wants them. The ex wife of the agent who killed the person in Maine told the AP that because her ex husband has a history of violent behavior and serious psychiatric issues, when he told her ICE had hired him quote, she thought he was having a mental health episode and didn't believe him. Jesus, this is the guy who killed person in Maine. And now, according to The New York Times, federal agents recently received a written notice that the FBI would quote no longer investigate confrontations with immigration agents, supposed to be handled now internally through DHS. This is a report that's been denied by both the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security. So I feel like after Minnesota and Gnomes firing, we were all worried that nothing would actually get better, it would just get quieter. Sure enough, even Trump's approval and immigration has sort of crept back up, though it's still slightly underwater. What do you make of the administration response to the killings in Texas?
Speaker 3: And it made so yeah that Homan was going to be some kind of a step up from Bovino and from Christinome. The fear was they would continue doing what they were doing, but not as ostentatious. I do think like the fact that they determined that these sieges upon cities were counterproductive politically was a win that continued. But that doesn't mean they haven't been more competently and quietly aggressive, and they have continued to put people like this out into the field.
Speaker 2: We already know.
Speaker 3: They reduced the amount of time these people are trained, they lowered their standards, they've been desperate to recruit. So this is a direct result not just what the Trump administration is doing, but what Congress has done to fund and give them the resources to rapidly hire people who have no business using a gun, let alone using a gun as law enforcement as part of the federal government. You read about this guy's background before he's in Ice. This is just a fucking troubled guy, like a terrible head injury. He was doing door dash, he was doing correction, like he just was all.
Speaker 1: Violent towards his own kids. I thought that the blowback to Mullen was very telling too on the right because it kind of goes to the point that like, he's not running the department. Really, this is just like this is Miller's policies, and he tries to do something on his own depause and then Trump immediately just backs off. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder if Mullen got a call from Susan Collins directly, because they're senate colleagues and they probably know each other. But yeah, I mean this ice officer and me, and he shot and killed a man in front of his three year old daughter. You know, it's fucking evil, and it shows that the policy has not changed much. But the pr strategy has. I mean Gnome and Bovino, like you said, like they were being pressured to make three thousand arrest a day, and they would to do that. They would have border patrol invade a city like an army and occupy it in the flashiest way possible. That included flying Blackhawk helicopters over Chicago or having like little social media people filming all the people stuff they were doing and then releasing it because they were proud of it. And Mullin is still trying to hit two thousand arrests a day, but the arrests are spread out all over the country, and he's less thirsty for press attention than Nome was, although probably doesn't want it. Low bar Ye DHS is still lying about all these incidents. They're de facto covering up for all these officers, but they're doing it in a slightly less gratuitous way. It's not like Minnesota where they're saying Rene Good and Alex Pretti were domestic terrorists or that you know, Preddie was trying to massacre police, right, that was the intention to massacre police was like the line afterwards. And so Trump, though, is still making it clear that he doesn't care if it isn't people are killed. He wants the dangerous practices like the vehicle stop arrest to continue if it means more deportations. So it is like they've definitely put a less flashy shine on their policies. But it is still very much the same dangerous, abusive practice.
Speaker 3: And that you can't give in to the libs, right like that, you can't. If something terrible happens and there's a call from your enemies to be restraint, to show any kind of restraint, you can't give into that because that is what led us here, right like, that's the problem. We have to prove a really tough Well.
Speaker 1: The Posts had a good story on this about the sort of the blowback to Mullen, and you know, it came from all the usual sort of right wing media online spaces, but also the Heritage Foundation. And there's people in the Heritage Foundation making the point that Tommy did, which is they're all saying, like, oh, Colin's probably called Mullen because there's Senate colleagues. And this is the problem with having someone at DAHS from the Senate, because you're trying to please all those people who are too moderate and we have to just put you know, foot on the gas for the deportation agenda, and it doesn't matter, it doesn't like, we're just going to keep going. And like Stephen Miller doesn't care if it's unpopular, he doesn't care if people get killed. He doesn't care if what the detention center conditions are or he doesn't care what. He just wants to do it. He just wants to get it done and thinks that he is like and the only thing that's going to stop him is tremendous public pressure like the kind we saw after Minneapolis, or Democrats win in Congress and being able to rain Trump in that way with the power of the purse.
Speaker 3: Well, look his immigran Trump's of immigration ratings. We're in the drop precipitously around the time of the killings in Minnesota. They have slowly ritually ticked back up. They're not above fifty and they're still you know, they're not we're as high as they once were. But the when the attention comes off of it, it kind of received, it kind of reverts to a mean and the baked insum, the baked in assumption. I think on their part is people know that even if he goes too far, he is strong on this issue. It is symbol of how he is strong as a president, right, Like, I think that is the deeper reason he can justify politically continue to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that because it's not in the news, and people don't are seeing the excesses of the deportation project, Trump's deportation project. It's like they want most people want border security, and unfortunately most people want like approve of the deportations in general. They just think that it's you know, when they don't see the excesses in the news, they think, well, they're deporting all the right people, right, They're reporting the violent criminals, and that's that, and they forget about what happened in Minnesota and stuff like that. And you've got to that's way. You just got to keep reminding people and my people, you know, coming out in Maine and Texas to protest. This is important to keep it in the news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's also just like a fundamental problem in when there is a mass shooting and twelve people are killed in one place, that is national news. If there are twelve heinous murders committed by people who should not have access to guns, that does not get the same coverage because they are distributed, even though it is the same level of harm. And so yes, they are not wrong, right that, just people do not pay as much attention when these sort of injustices are distributed. And I know there's no good answer for that, other than continue to talk about it. Pot too. America's brought you by HYMNS. ED is more common than guys talk.
Speaker 2: About the good news, tell me, talks about all the time.
Speaker 3: They can't stop talking about it. Getting real treatment is simple. He's always say how he doesn't have it. I don't have it. I don't have it. It's weird, actually I don't have it. We're not even talking about a run. It's so crazy thing to bring up all the time. Getting real treatment is simple, and through HYMN it's one hundred percent online. HIMS connects you with licensed healthcare providers online, giving you simple access to legitimate D treatment options from home. No awkward appointments, no pharmacy lines, no rhino horn, just complete a simple online and take and provide RHAN No horn. Yeah, it was like a thing for a while that they were killing the rhinos and grinding up the horns and trying to give guys bonus.
Speaker 2: Really didn't work, but it does go.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have mentionined.
Speaker 3: So anyway, point is, you got to take an intake form and they review your information. You find out if treatments right for you. And if prescribed, your treatment ships directly to your door. That includes Sildenafil, also known as generic for VIAGRAA available through HIMS it up to ninety five percent less than the brand name version and that option is right for you. There are additional treatment available so you can find what works best for your body. It's straightforward, transparent, and designed to make getting care feel easy. To get simple online access to personalized, affordable care for ED and more. Visit hymns dot com slash crooked that's hims dot com slash crooked ymns dot com slash crookeet.
Speaker 1: Not available in all fifty states. Prescription required. See website for details, restrictions and important safety information. So I Dentifhil is the generic version of Viagra. VIAGRAA is a registered trademark of Vietrice Specialty LLC. Hymns is not affiliated with or endorsed by Viatrice. Podze America is brought to you by cook Unity.
Speaker 3: Had it today, had it this morning, had it last night, Mediterranean beef bowl, Gonna have it tonight. Had a pasta dish a Rigatoni with chicken for after my workout.
Speaker 1: Yesterday morning, I had filet with gorgon zola, mashed potatoes and asparagus.
Speaker 3: Well, look at this guy, he's doing the there's a couple there's so you can you get your normal meals, but there's a few meals where you pay little extra. They'll bring you a file a but you know.
Speaker 1: Slick seven dollars seven dollars more. That's not This is a very affordable by the way it is.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: That's the best part of it.
Speaker 3: It's great. I love cook Unity.
Speaker 2: So many options.
Speaker 3: Very goddamn day.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if we have to read all the copy.
Speaker 3: I think our our enthusiasm is coming across this.
Speaker 2: Since here it's the first.
Speaker 1: In case you don't know what it is, coom Unity is the first chef led meal delivery service that makes your meals in small batches inside local micro kitchens across the US. I know that's very important, not factories, so every dish arrives with the kind of freshness you get at the restaurant itself. Meals from Michelin starred chefs, James Beard, winners, and Food Network starts. Go to cook unity dot com, slash cricket or use code crookeet before checkout for fifty percent off your first week. Cook Unity works with some of the best chefs in the country to bring creative, delicious meals to your door. Hundreds of dishes to choose from the menus updated constantly over ten dietary preferences that they offer high protein, low sodium GLP one, pescatarian, gluten free, and more over twenty five global cuisines Mediterranean, Korean, Time, Mexican, Italian, more taste what happens when real award winning chefs make fresh, small, batched meals just for you. Go to cook unity dot com slash cricket or entercode cricket before checkout to get fifty percent off your first order. That's fifty percent off your first order by using code crooked or going to cookie unity dot com slash crooked. One big question about the political impact is how this plays with Latino voters in the midterms and beyond. Our friend Carlos Odio at Eki's research always reminds us that the economy, not immigration, is still the top concern for Latino voters. In fact, their latest poll shows Trump's approval with Latino's has significantly decreased for the first time since last summer, mainly because his ratings on the economy and cost of living have collapsed. Dan talked with Carlos for this week Polar Coaster, which you can listen to if you're a Friend of the pod subscriber. If you're not, please consider joining at Crooked dot com slash friends so you can get subscriber only shows like Polar Cooaster, along with ad free versions of your favorite Crooked shows now, including Runaway Country with Alex Wagner. That said, Carlos and Ecki's also found that around two thirds of Latinos think Trump has gone too far on enforcement and deportation, and among Trump twenty twenty four voters who are Latino who regret their vote, immigration overreach was one of the top reasons cited. Would you guys make of all that polling in terms of how Democrats should handle this issue from now into the midterms.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the takeaways are Trump's approvals down, many Latinos now regret voting for Trump, but Democratic approval is not necessarily up. So we need to treat Latina voters like their swing voters, which they are they have been. We're so way behind where we were with Latino voters in twenty eighteen, Carlos had a good message, which was basically like, don't scold people voting for Trump. You just say you werelied to. Trump promised you a bunch of stuff you didn't deliver. You're welcome back in the Democratic Party. I think that sounds exactly right. But I do think it's like the thing you hear from a lot of activist groups is that Democrats only show up in the last month of an election. It's all GOOTV messaging, turnout messaging. It's not persuasion messaging. It's not early enough. And I think that's like a lesson we need to learn this time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, get think on immigration specifically. I just think you can reflect what is true and also comes across in the polling. You know, Democrats I think really did have there. I spent for a long time had their heads in the sand around the difference between believing in immigration and opposing a lawless border. Right, Like there was just a difference, and uh there there was kind of a I think like treating people like they were pretty stupid about it. But now I don't think it's very hard to say, like, we believe in in uh, controlling the border, but you the they're terrorizing communities, they're terrorizing families. You can enforce our immigration laws in a way that is not cruel and capricious and violence and chaotic. And in the same way he has failed to, like because of his incompetence and chaos, like failed to address like the reason so many people gave him a chance. Cost of living is up, gases up, everything is up. He's focused on all the wrong things on immigration. We have seen so much chaos and so much violence, and none of it was necessary. He was elected to do to bring down the cost of living and bring some order to places where people felt as though like their they're wasn't enforcement at the border. Now it's time to have like responsible adults who are going to make good policy and do it in a way that reflects what people want out of their government without being so incompetent and cruel.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought the polling was interesting in that, you know, Latino voters, like most voters, they care about cost of living more than anything else. So that's like the lead message. But you know, sometimes it's framed as a choice between like do we talk about that or do we talk about what ICE is doing, and you know, Carlos and Ecki say that like Democrats should lift up the stories of the people who've been killed by ICE, but then makes the point not just their wrongful deaths, but also the stories of their families and contributions to their communities. The data shows that among Latinos who believe Trump's gone to foreign immigration, most say it's because of the impact as policies have had on families, children, US citizens and legal immigrants. So there is you know, the stories in the way that we would tell the stories anyway, is what Democrats should be doing. Speaking of the midterms, one Republican who should be especially vulnerable on her unqualified support for ICE is Susan Colin, who is now likely to face Democrat Troy Jackson in November. Jackson is Maine's former state Senate president who just lost the twenty twenty sixth primary for governor. He's also a fifth generation logger from about as far north and rural as Maine gets. It's on the border of Canada, where he's where Troy Jackson's from. Jackson won't officially be nominated to replace Graham Plattner until the party convention this weekend, but he ran the table at the county level meetings where delegates were chosen, to the point where all of his major competitors have now dropped out.
Speaker 3: So I pretend to be a dermatologist and I gave him a sort of head to toe mole check and he's clear, so no moles and nothing else. So I just I had to, you know, put on the statoscope, that whole thing, you know, he kept on his under I'm not a fucking maniac.
Speaker 1: Early thoughts on Troy Jackson, who's always been our favorite in this race we always thought would.
Speaker 2: Be the no thoughts on Troy Jackson. I'm to spend a little more time look at it. I have thoughts on huge credits of the main Democratic Party for throwing together a process this quickly. That must be like if Jackson gets it, hopefully that will go a long way towards bringing along the PLATINIR voters who are probably pretty pissed off and the volunteers who were left hanging when he withdrew. We're still in a tough spot. We see he's you know, the platter left us a mess that we're behind, a fundraising we're behind in name I d hopefully now this can become a referendum on Donald Trump and how voting for Susan Collins is a vote for the Donald Trump agenda.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it seems like he's already moving towards that talking all about Susan Collins, and it's what could have been a very contentious couple of weeks here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they figured it out.
Speaker 1: They figured it out. Like credit to the main Democratic Party, Credit to all of Trey Jackson's challengers too, who like, instead of hanging into the convention of all dropped out and Orrell supporting him now, which is great. Just so people know who Drey Jackson is. He so he was state Senate president. He was re elected in last in twenty twenty two and one of the reddest reddest parts of Maine. I looked up there in the first district, the state Senate district registration there is thirty six percent Republican, nineteen percent Democrat, forty five percent no party preference. Okay, so that is independent. That is an achievement winning that district. Internal polls, there's only been a few internal polls with him and Collins. They have him tied or slightly ahead. So it's too early for that he's got pretty much all of Graham Platner's positions.
Speaker 3: He doesn't maybe well some of his older positions sort of just more recent political ones. I'd say probably, yes, political positions, political positions, maybe maybe not as maybe not quite as charismatic as as you know, he's.
Speaker 1: A little he's a little little gruffer. Yeah, What'll came in third for governor and used to be very conservative on abortion and gay rights, and over the years is now now it gets like one hundred percent ratings from abortion and gay rights groups. Right, so he sort of changed over time.
Speaker 2: I realized our process is not ideal. But in South Carolina Republicans are like, hey, Linday Graham, you're dead. What if your sister just sticks over? Hey that's weird.
Speaker 3: Hey we're in the market for Linda Graham in a wig.
Speaker 2: So weird just handing a senancey to Lindsay Graham's sister.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there so there hasn't been a lot of like you didn't give us a process. Why did you give us just this guy? I think for Troy Jackson, it's like it's name I d right, Like people don't know I don't I think even people in Maine, right like you're the state Senate. Does anyone know the state Senate president doesn't even know that nobody. I don't even know who the how the legislature is here in an assembly is in California. Do you guys going to be very complicated.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing pop quizzes today, just so folks. No, it's not just that Lindsay Graham's sister is finishing out the seat. She's announcing she is going to run for it.
Speaker 3: I know, and I just want to be clear. We don't know. You know, maybe she has great and interest like she works with the blind. I don't know, got it, there's a chance. Let's just let's just be cool. We love We always thought Lindsay Graham's sister was a reasonable person who could have a conversation with Let's give her a chance before she could discover that she makes Lauren Bilbert look like Hakeem Jeffries.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, Nancy Mace has dropped out of that race. Won't be running now. She continued to ship post. She literally said that that's great.
Speaker 3: She posted. Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in from Godfather Part three. Never like the least requested person ever, being.
Speaker 2: Like, fine, I'll do it. They being yourself qulty backing the voices.
Speaker 1: Turns out Maine isn't the only speed bump on the road to a blue wave. The wi was constant gubernatorial primary just got a little jolt over the weekend when Lieutenant Governor Sarah Rodriguez ended her campaign after revealing serious financial mismanagement by her campaign manager. She was one of the leading candidates in the polls. Her dropping outside off a panic among the state's more moderate and establishment Democrats, who are worried that Francesca hung the dsay back to candidate who's leading in the polls won't be able to win in November. So, even though former Lieutenant governor and Senate candidate Mandela Barnes is still close to hang in the polls, Wisconsin Democrats convinced Milwaukee County Executive David Crowley, who'd ended his own campaign a week earlier, to get back in the race, and then Governor Tony Evers, who had been staying out of the primary, endorsed Crowley. Seems like they got everything under control up there in Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: Huh, I Like, I keyed into this because when I saw the Sarah Rodrigue's press conference video. Yeah, and I was like, watching this video and I really hadn't been paying close attention to this primary, to be honest. But then I watched the video and just someone at the putt of being like, here's when I found out we were being robbed. Here's when I found out there was not enough money here and there. Then I realized there was a problem over here, and I was like, oh boy. I mean, I guess it's good to get ahead of this, but I don't know how you can win a campaign for governor when you're just getting when your finances are so fucked.
Speaker 2: I still feel like I'm missing something. In the Sarah Rodriga story, the campaign manager double counted donations so they had less money than expected. Then that same staff er puts out a press release that's like we're doing a million dollar ad buy. The candidate is like, hey, where's our ads? I don't ever see them on TV. Turns out the ad buy was fake because again they didn't have the money. They put out their filing and she has like thirty five grand on hand. Yeah, so that's obviously bad, But do you have to drop out for that well, Like, I mean, you couldn't have stuck it out.
Speaker 3: I just think that you're running to be the chief something else.
Speaker 2: I get the argument like an incompetent you can't manage your own campaign, can't manage your own finances. But it's like, I don't know. The primary is August eleventh, Like I feel like there must be more we're gonna learn.
Speaker 3: And by the way, like when I say Rob, I have no idea, it just sounded like someone at least insinuating that money was going right out the door illicitly.
Speaker 1: Anyway, She's gone, man, bar memory be a los thing. This is an important race. Don't want a Republican as governor in Wisconsin in twenty twenty eight when there will be a presidential election to certify, and so really important that we replace Tony Eves with the Democrat. I'm kind of confused why they didn't rally around Mandela Barnes. So Mandela Barnes, who we known Mandela for a while. He also ran in twenty twenty two for Senate. He came like twenty six votes shy of winning in a year where it was a twenty twenty two many terms, it was a more Republican leaning year, and he's close to hang in all the polls. He's probably like ahead of Rodriguez in some polls. Several polls show him ahead of the Republican candidate, Representative Tom Tiffany, and Crowley, who I don't know much about David Crowley, but when he suspended his campaign, he never got more than five percent of the vote, And I mean in any of the polls he never hit beyond five percent, and so and then somehow Evers went out and endorsed him and not Barnes.
Speaker 3: I don't understand it either, other than he lost before they could use that same planet book again. If he lost to Ron Johnson, he's going to lose again. It's almost confusing.
Speaker 1: Like twenty percent of primary voters have already cast their ballots. It's almost impossible that David Crowley is going to win this. What him getting back into the race may do is a sure that Hong is going to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean all the whispering in those articles is they think Bendela Barne it's basically just as progressive as Hong and therefore will have all the same problems. I think they're all kind of whispering about bad polling. I have no idea if that's true. But that's when like Politico reports on this and stuff. Yeah, the strategy is baffling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it's but it's it's so funny because it's it's one thing to think Barnes is also too progressive, just like Hong, and so Crowley would be the most electable candidate. Like I get bad argument is that I might not agree with it, but I get it as a legitimate argument. But then saying, okay, so we'll put him in the primary with two weeks left. He never hit five percent, and somehow he'll vault ahead of the other two candidates.
Speaker 2: They're just hoping that the Tony Evers endorsement will do it, it seems.
Speaker 3: But also to be yeah, even with like there has been a lot of great polling, but also the poets had them all pretty low too, so like maybe they're hoping there's just a lot of people that have made up their minds are getting late. Yeah. The other also just to say, like Barnes was a lieutenant governor of the state. It's not like coming from nowhere, right, Like.
Speaker 1: I'll just say this, like if Hong wins the primary and loses the general. It is not This is not like let's blame DSA. This is the establishment decided to put in someone else potentially split the vote with Barnes, and that's where we ended up where we did.
Speaker 2: After Sarah Rodriguez had to enter camp, circumsplame outcoming, I think everyone Wisconsin was just like Jesus Christ, what do we do right? Scrambling right?
Speaker 1: But that's what But I'm saying that the Crowley thing is the weird part. It's not like no one could have seen the Sarah Rigaz think coming. But the Crowley thing is just a it's a weird thing to do.
Speaker 3: Pod Save America's brought you by Chime. Most of us picked a bank at sixteen and never looked back. Sound familiar. Got a nerdy point dexter of investors. Of these people picked a bank at sixteen, I was, They're not like traditional banks that love to gate keep the best rewars in pylon hidden fees unless you have a massive balance. Chime offers the most rewarding fee fee banking all with no overdraft fees, no monthly fees, no minimum balance fees. You get five percent cash back on CHI card in a category of your choice, like gas or groceries, all while boolding credit through regular every day spending, no credit check necessary. You can also grow your money faster with a savings rate that's nine times the national average, And if you're ever in a pinch, Bobby lets you overdraft up to two hundred dollars fee free. Join the millions who are already banking fee free with America's number one choice for banking. Head to Chime dot com slash croocket. That's Chime dot com slash crooked. Sign up now. It only takes a few minutes. Chime is a fintech, not a bank. Banking services and Chime card provided by Chimes bank partners qualifying direct deposits. Required terms and limits apply. Go to Chime dot com slash disclosures for details.
Speaker 1: All right, let's end with Michigan, where there's a very chill congenial Senate primary between former Cricket host Abdul Lsaed, who the three of us are supporting, and Congresswoman Haley Stevens, who were hoping to have on the show as soon as she can make it work. The polling is relatively sparse and a bit all over the place, In a race where the biggest issue dividing the candidates is Israel, Abdul wants to end all US eight to is. Stevens does not, and has the support of APAC, who's spending heavily in this race. Abdullah is also in favor of more progressive policies like abolishing ice and medicare for all, which is one reason he's been endorsed by AOC and Bernie Sanders, who are in the state this weekend campaigning with him. Here's a clip from one event.
Speaker 3: They want us to think that these forces are too powerful for us to overcome, that this is just how things are.
Speaker 4: There's fifty million dollars in this race because they're expecting a return.
Speaker 1: It's an investment.
Speaker 8: They've taken the calling to me dangerous. Now, I don't know why you would call somebody who looks like me with a name like mine dangerous.
Speaker 9: If you're a corporation wanting to buy a politician with their pack, I'm dangerous. If you're a pak and want to send our money abroad, you damn well better believe I'm dangerous.
Speaker 8: If you're somebody who wants it's the government to work for you, I'm not dangerous. I might just be the one person running for US Senate who actually wants.
Speaker 2: To serve you.
Speaker 1: Thoughts on one of the last and maybe most contentious Democratic primary of the year.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hate that this has gotten jammed into the Graham Platner discourse frame, at least on social media, because like a Duel and Grand Platiner are absolutely nothing alike in Anyone suggesting otherwise is trying to smear ab duel in a really disgusting way. And just clock that when you read these tweets and judge them accordingly. Some of the issues in the race are nationalized, Like there is frustration at the establishment and Chuck Schumer for picking candidates. That's part of the race. There's gaza, there's apex spending. But if you watch the debates or watch them on the stump, it is very local. It's a lot of auto industry talk. There's a lot of anger at shitty utility companies. Everyone in the in the race made a video about a bridge from Detroit to Canada that Trump was shutting down. They're talking about healthcare premium. So look, I'm supporting a duel because I can say I'm a friend I think he's really smart. I think he's going on the stump. He's taken principled positions on stuff I really care about. I think you'd be a good senator. It's like, it's no deeper than that. I'm not a Hailey Stevens hater in any way, shape or form. If she wins the primary, like I will wholeheartedly support her no matter who wins. This is going to be a really tough race. Like Mike Rogers is a good, strong Republican opponent. We barely beat him last time. So I think what's most important is whatever happens come August fifth, Like everybody's got to put down the little twitter knives, stop nursing your little grudges, making this about some bigger thing, some factional intra party thing, and let's come together and win this race. And we got to do a little faster than people have been doing it up in Maine because there's a lot of lingering bullshit happening.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a debate about Medicare for all, which is largely a symbolic debate. Even if you support medicare for all, the next Democratic Congress, if we're so lucky to have a Democratic Congress, we'll have Trump as president. Like there's no hope of passing medicare for all, but it is a symbol of a willingness to like go bigger, go against the establishment, be willing to say something that may not be as popular broadly but shows that you're willing to fight. Now, you know what Aos says. They're like, oh, they're they're they're they're buying, they're buying the sea. Like it's pretty clear, Like Hailey Stevens has said she will support military aid and aid to Israel abduable, not right. They're investing to get behind a candidate who will support continuing to give military aid to Israel. Other then but like that is a symbol of what happens if either one of them is in the Senate and put the like big kind of ideological distinctions between them a side. Hailey Stevens is a reliable Democratic vote. She doesn't have a particularly strong, like ideological point of view. You go to her website, it's a lot of nuts and bolts, bring money home to Michigan policies. She supports a public option, she supports reforming ice. She's just a reliable Democratic vote. Abdul is someone who will push on the party from the left. That is what he would do in the Senate. Now, I think that's a good thing. I think it's good to have like people that have a strong point of view and want the Democratic Party to stand for something clear right. But in the end, either way, like neither one of them is going to be able to enact any kind of specific agenda. It's a question of what you want in a what do you believe a Democratic Senate should look like, which why it becomes a proxy between Bernie and Schumer and all the rest.
Speaker 1: I do think with a Senate race, because you're there for six years, Ideally this person is there for a Democratic president and a Democratic Congress, and then hopefully the next Democratic president does make a move to expand healthcare. Who knows how far they'll be able to go, but ideally and so you know, they will get to do they will get to set the agenda hopefully in some ways. But I think but to your point, I mean, this always happens with primaries, right, which is because the candidates are generally similar on their policy platforms, you try to find differences that then become magnified in the heat of a race that then make it seem like it is this Manichean struggle between good and evil for the supporters on either side. And look, I think in this one, you're right, Israel is a clear dividing line that is where their pulse. I mean, she supports aid to Israel with no conditions whatsoever, and he wants to cut it off. And even some of the other races where Apec has played, and I think the difference hasn't been so.
Speaker 3: Clear, or she's on the right edge of a dwindling minority of Democrats who are taking that position. Even in the Senate, I mean, the majority of the vastarty of Democratic senators are closer to a Gules position now than they are to.
Speaker 1: Hailey Stevens right. And so then the other thing you would do is you'd make it about electability. And I do think it's been hard to make this race about electability grounded in a lot of firm data, because look at the polls that we've had have been from not really high quality polsters. There's been a lot of internal polling from both sides. We don't have like a New York Times Siena poll or a lot of really good pulling and so and in the polling that we have, you know, at the beginning of the race, it seemed like Stevens was performed slightly better against Mike Rodgers than a duel. Now it seems like a duel has like a point or two honor or they're tied. So it's really hard to make an electability argument. So therefore now you're just fighting over.
Speaker 2: What they're really fighting about is like they're they're hand waving at the policy ship, but they're like, his name's Abdul alsiety. That is what is happening. It is I mean, I'm not saying Hayley Stevens specifically is saying that, but a lot of Abdul's opponents are when they say electability, that is what they mean.
Speaker 1: And that is what has gotten a little ugly well into your earlier point. And now they're doing the well, he's got some of the same consultants, and so Graham Platner wasn't vetted and we don't want another. And it's like Abduel has been vetted because he ran for governor of Michigan and that's why his name idea is so high in the first place. And he's been like, you know, he's just he's.
Speaker 2: He's served in public office. Wasn't like plucked out of obscurity.
Speaker 3: And the big controversy was about whether or not after he got his mdphd he technically did a residency. It's like, that's like it's very different than a Nazi tattoo and a sexual assault ouvasion.
Speaker 1: But it like both candidates, now I've seen them in interviews be like, well, this race isn't really about Israel, and everyone else wants to make it about Israel and Gaza, but we want to make it about Michigan. But even there, there's not a lot of like there's not a fight about healthcare, like you're for Medicare for all and from the public option, let's let's duke it out. You're for abolishing ice, on for reforming ice, let's do it on that. It's there's there's surprisingly little attacks from both of the supporters, at least on the policy issues and more on it's.
Speaker 2: More like it's more like money driven policy issues. It's like you've taken all this money from corporations for eightpack or others, therefore you're beholden to them. That is kind of the proxy for a lot of the political fights and then but for Haley, it's like there's a similarly weird thing happening online with her, which is like a lot of people are plucking up speeches where they think she looks goofy and sharing them and then it turns out maybe people like those speeches.
Speaker 1: We don't really know.
Speaker 3: Well, I I was into like there, Like there's moments where she's kind of fee and like kind of she's got we gotta letter rip, we got to stick it to them, and like it's kind of sweet, and uh, there's this kind of aesthetics where if someone who has seen as centrist or pro Israel does something that is slightly cringe that or having Malary mcmurrow too, when she was in the kind of Elizabeth Warren roll to Abduel and they were mad at her, like this is so embarrassing. You're so embarrassing. It's cringe, Like this is the problem, this is the problem. You don't understand real people because you don't understand what broken brained online people think is funny anymore. But if Abdul has made plenty of cringey content and but he's you know, he's good for the movement, and so those things aren't as bad. I was thinking about when I'm like, Schumer farted on the Senate floor, and I do think he did not make the most of it. I think he should have done it at about how we were having a gas crisis. He went up to the man that Schumer used to be, the guy at the gas station, and there was a moment where he could have made news about it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it was just unblock on the straight upfore most exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: Look not the only not the only waterway. They were having trouble getting things through these days. That my age, but so but but I know, but if like mom, Donnie farted during press conference, there would be stories about how, like man, everybody's farting again.
Speaker 2: He's so good at this. This is a master at work generation.
Speaker 3: This is why we need medicare for all, he'd say, or something I don't know, because.
Speaker 1: Because there's a lot of it because of stick it to him, there's a.
Speaker 2: Stick it to him.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, it's like, Okay, you want to be this sort of like hard scrabble kind of salt of the earth campaigner, but also your campaign is propped up by tens of millions of dollars of outside money. And John to your point, like one of the reasons that debait is about that outside money and about Israel is because she has an establishment figure, doesn't have like a clear other than just bringing money home for vision, they'll auto bail it. Like, what's the policy place where she feels so strongly she wants to pick a fight with a.
Speaker 1: Duel over Well, this is this is yes, And I know this is naive of me, but like, as we head into a presidential primary season, like my wish is that the the factional war within the Democratic Party is fought over different policy positions because there are plenty of differences between the left and the center left. And I think sometimes what the establishment center left, whatever you want to call them more modern Democrats does is they look at the progressive movement and progressive candidates and they either take umbrage or dismiss them or say or just like attack, attack, attack, And it's like try to you got to be for something, Yes, you got to be excited about your candidates, and you got to run candidates who are exciting and charismatic and have something that they really want to get downe but what they default to. And you can kind of hear this with and I'm not saying Steven's does this, but some of her supporters it was like, but she works so hard, and she's just she's got her head down and she works hard. And that's like the thing for all the establishment candidates is like they just their servant, their public servants, and they're working hard. It's like, yeah, everyone's everyone in public life who's running for office is working hard and doing a lot of good.
Speaker 2: So she's sort of a throwback, sort of a throwback campaign, like there was a not that long ago most campaigns were like I'm gonna liver for my state. I'm going to bring home the bacon, I'm gonna get earmarks and pork barrel and just like build a fucking airport over here.
Speaker 1: And you know what, if Susan Collins wins, that's why.
Speaker 2: And it's Haley like it sounds like that's the kind of campion she's running now. Somewhere along the way I work, we found this desire where we also want people to be national figures and have national profiles and see value in that too. There's a bit of a race here on the on the the goofy content thing, Like Abdul has put out videos that were so cringey that I sent them to his consultants and I said, no more of this.
Speaker 3: I bet right, was he in a hat?
Speaker 2: I don't remember which one it was, It might have been more than one, but like, he's put out a lot of corny shit.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I think there are people rightly pointing out that I think Haley is treated differently because she is a woman. There's a lot of misogyny and sexism in the messaging you'll see on Twitter about these videos. They're also just kind of cringey videos at times, and like sometimes she's a goofy messenger and sometimes he's a goofy fucking messenger, and it's not always loaded to say that too. Like that's the other part of this, well, that this is where like.
Speaker 1: The attention economy has made people do crazy things.
Speaker 3: Yes, Like there's a whole range of issues that are just not really that much a part of the demo. Activate education one of the most important issues where Democrats have lost ground for the last ten years yep or five years, early six years. And like I'll say something that would like this is one of the reasons why if rom runs for president, like, it will be good because he will be the person that picks.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: It will be good.
Speaker 3: It will be it will be because send it he will, for he will, he will. He will have that kind of old school democratic politics where he like he.
Speaker 1: Starts now starring on.
Speaker 3: Gets back on survivor to fuck because he will force debates about these questions on his road to not being the nominee and like on a broad range of issues. That will like kind of like in the way that Hailey Stemens is not causing, not kind of forcing questions back over to a duel on policy questions. I think you need center left figures who do that because we need to have those big debates. That's all.
Speaker 2: Well, Haley's big attack on abdul and the debate was like you haven't released your tax returns yet, and I just wonder it was another kind of like it' felt like an old school criticism of someone.
Speaker 1: Well, it feels like he's attacking her on money, right, like you've got all this money down your rehap. So she's like, I want to do money things.
Speaker 2: It's not like lejgitimate. I'm just wondering if voters care.
Speaker 1: I can't, don't. I don't know who. You'll find out who knows. Speaking of Bernie, CNN reporter over the weekend, that back in March, when he backed a challenger to a Democratic House in company in North Carolina, Hakeem Jeffries called him and warned him against meddling in house primaries, arguing that it's divisive and a drain on limited resources that could go to beating Republicans. Another member who was on the call said, Sanders quote seemed not to care you guys, like it seems absolutely buy that.
Speaker 3: The most Jolene phone call, like please please you could, I know you can take these districts. Please stop, please stop. He's my man.
Speaker 2: It's like I get my hockeying. Jeffries would not want divisive primaries. I can't imagine any scenario where he thought Bernie Sanders would care. I can't. It's hard to imagine a conversation Bernie Sanders would care about less.
Speaker 3: Other than the debate. The interview I had with him where he tried to get out of it a few minutes early, where he did this this is.
Speaker 1: This is this is another problem with like the establish from argument is it's the response is always like no, no, no, these primaries shouldn't happen, or these candidate like guess what the candidates are going to run. People are going to sign up and they're going to run for office, and they're going to be from all political persuasions and doing the whole And Hillary started this in twenty sixteen with Bernie Right, it's like that they're not real Democrats and they're and they're not they don't respect the Democratic Party's institutions, like you know who doesn't respect the Democratic Party's institution America.
Speaker 3: Or actually and more specifically Democrats exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's like not the greatest argument to be like how dare you run? And how dare you upset our primaries? It's like go beat them, beat them with better ideas, beat them by saying that like their ideas are bad or their or their ideas aren't going to resonate with most American people, Like there's plenty to go after. Before he was just being like don't run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a you know, these are people trying to do a hostile takeover of a failing enterprise. You know, if you think they're not the right people to lead, you got to make a much better case to the shareholders because they're looking at your record and thinking, I'm gonna kind of take a shot on these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll also look at the Republican Party. Did that work really well for them? For all the establishment figures in the Republican Party when they were like, no, Donald Trump can't be it right.
Speaker 2: Good point. And also they're facing their own version of this, Like in Arizona, Andy Biggs is probably going to be the Republican gubernatorial nominee. He's a lunatic in Iowa. My buddy Rob sand is up against this complete unknown dude whose primary work background was like working for the Koch brothers for a decade. He doesn't even live in the state. He's in Iowa half the time. He's in Kansas, Colorado.
Speaker 3: Guy, that's like, Yeah, when I was a kid, I kill people?
Speaker 1: What of it?
Speaker 3: What of it?
Speaker 2: We all do it? Wait?
Speaker 3: What go back?
Speaker 2: That's one of the all time interviews. So I killed someone? What of it? Yeah? Yeah, No, they've nominated this lunatic in Iowa who wants to like ban the mRNA vaccine. He wants COVID vaccines off the shelf. More from Me Marxist hijacked the curriculum in Iowa. There's a decade of Republican rule, but they're not backing away from him. The RGA is going to put tens of millions of dollars on air behind this guy.
Speaker 1: So's anyway, Yeah, well, like you said, I think it's going to be a bumpy couple weeks in these primaries, but once August comes and goes, we're all behind the nominee, whoever it may be. Did you see that On the sidelines of one of the events with a dual Politico asked AOC about running for president, and she said, I can't say that I've ruled it out. She also talked about her own definition of what big tent means, general thoughts on how she's preparing for the possibility of a run in twenty eight we've talked so much about elections that are happening November, we get a little treat to talk just a tiny bit of speculation before we end the pod.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a little bit of like a there's like an Axio story about like about AOC embracing kind of Obama style hope and change, a sort of some as like evidence of her shift in preparation for running, and I don't really think it like reflects a like if you go. I think AOC has evolved as a public figure, and I think she has learned a lot since she's been in Congress. But I think part of what her appeal has always been is that you know she's there's some she's asked and she says, I don't. It's something like, I don't come from a I come from a working class family. I didn't come from a militant leftist family, right like Isaac. That's just right, like this reading the stage directions a little bit. But her appeal has always been that she hasn't sounded like what Republicans want her to sound like. She sounded so much more optimistic and hopeful. And she's also, by the way, said something similar about not ruling out like I think a month ago, like this is going to be something that keeps happening. But whether she runs for Senate or president or neither, like she's going to use the power she has, and she is I think a more important and attention worthy figure as long as the possibility of earning for presidents out there, the.
Speaker 2: Single best way to get media coverage is to suggest that you're going to run for president. She's smart, she knows that this will get her attention for her ideas. I don't know if she's going to run or not. It feels like she might. I like, the the only size tent we are allowed to have is circus. Our tent has got to be gigantic at this point. We need to fit a lot of people underneath this thing. So I'm glad she's saying that. I will say that.
Speaker 1: She if if I were her and I were thinking of running for president, she is, And she's probably being told and knows herself because she's very, very smart that, like, you know, her risk is that she's seen as too left and too extreme, and she's seen all the polling data. I'm sure. And if you're going to run for president and you at least want to prepare for the possibility that you might, I think she's doing all the right things that you would do, which is that it made me less than her answers right about like are you running or not? Like the way that she's endorsing or not endorsing Cer. She didn't endorse Graham Platner. She hasn't endorsed this this progressive challenger in Michigan in a house seat.
Speaker 3: And then wasn't on stage for them. Like she's like being very careful.
Speaker 1: She's being very careful, but not in a way that seems like cautious, Like she's just being deliberate and her rhetoric right, Like she said, you know, you can have a clear vision for what we're trying to accomplish as the country and also include everyone in it and show that everyone has a place in that as well. It's just it's not it's not the same you hear from many of the DSA candidates today except whatm Donnie should say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I take her also out our word when she was asked about this previously. What she's looking for sort of outcomes right. She's not just about her and her position. And if you think in twenty twenty eight, there's obviously going to be a big, contentious and very important primary, someone either the vote of the left will be divided or will be united behind one figure. If it is her, she knows that as that person she trusts, like she knows how responsible and capable and careful she will be and deliberate about how to hold that position, whether it is as the nominee or as the person who helps unite the party behind whoever the nominee would be. And that is like the figure who is right to like represent like what comes after. Bernie is someone who a just truly believes in this fight and representing it as persuasively as possible, but also like Bernie and AOC understand that if the moderate more moderate candidate wins, it is just as important to get get behind them.
Speaker 1: She comes across as someone who takes very seriously her role in the party wherever whatever it may be, and her role in politics, which is a good thing to see. All right, that's our show for today, Dan and I will be back with a new show on Friday. Positive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari, with re Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Grot, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Canter, Charlottelandis Kyrol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writer's Guild of America, East