Speaker 1: One O three to one Austin dot com.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, thanks for being with us. Hope you had a great weekend. It's the JB and Sandy Show. My name is Sandy.
Speaker 3: This is JB. Hello, and Trista's here too.
Speaker 4: Hi, everybody.
Speaker 2: You can find us on Instagram at JB Sandy atx same thing on TikTok. A video on Instagram has really taken off of the story you told JB about almost getting run over out on out on Old Lockhart Road.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, anytime you talk about cyclists, people get worked up on both sides.
Speaker 6: It is such a polarizing subject.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: And it's so funny because it's always the same thing. I always see the same thing. If you advocate for cyclists being on the road, someone will be going I'd like, I don't mind. I wouldn't mind them if they obeyed the laws. I see them run stop signs, and I go, well, I've seen a Volkswagen run a stop sign?
Speaker 6: Do you hate off Volkswagens?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Right? Like people break everybody behind the wheel is, for the most part breaking some kind of law here or there. And then I did add to our thread. I go a lot of progressive cities are are actually making it a lot. I figure what they call it, like Idaho law or Boise law or something where cyclists are allowed to run stop signs and at a stop light they can stop quickly and go when it's clear whether even if it's still red. They're doing that to encourage more people to get on bikes and get cars off the road. So it really you know, and I think about it too, like, Okay, there's times when I'll go through this intersection or that when it's still red, but I'm getting out of their way right right, so when it turns red, it's I'm back over and in the bike lane through the intersection.
Speaker 4: Right instead of them having to wait for, yes.
Speaker 1: Wait for me to take off. So anyhow, I know that's I'm not going to be able to convince people. People don't really sway on this, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Got one of those things. You're either one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: My thought on it is this, if you hit him with the car, they're going to the hospital.
Speaker 3: You're not.
Speaker 1: So that's how Europeans look at it. Yeah, you know, they have a little a lot more respect for it. But I've got something funny.
Speaker 2: Most you know, a gen X fact, A gen X fact that I bet you haven't thought of in a long time or ever thought of, JB. Tricia, this is not relatable to you, okay, but you may have questions about it. Gen X fact. Think about this. We're the last people to know the struggle of calling a girl on the phone and her dad answering. Think about that, we really are we That was terrifying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so not just the terrifying part of calling a girl, but knowing that our dad might answer and you'd have to talk to him too, Yeah, him up and.
Speaker 6: Up second or a point.
Speaker 2: But now dudes today, they don't have to worry about that anymore. They don't have to worry about talking to the dad before you get to talk to the girl. Right, They can communicate freely as at will. Like that is that's frightening, right.
Speaker 3: Did you ever have the fear of calling a girl? JB?
Speaker 6: I'm sure? Yeah, you know you don't.
Speaker 1: You know you have to ask for them or I mean, when we were really young, you could still just show up at people's house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, knock on the door to stick they want to come out and.
Speaker 6: Here, you know, like that would weird people out? Today. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: If you just randomly showed up and asked for a kid to come out and play, those parents would be like, what is.
Speaker 6: Going on here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And at any point on a landline, somebody else in the house could pick up one of the receivers and listen, and you don't know.
Speaker 6: I totally would.
Speaker 4: Have done that as a parent. My kid was talking to a boy, you could do a break in.
Speaker 1: Calls operator to break in, yeah, because you whatever you had gone on was more impartant than whatever whoever your sister was doing on the phone line.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: We ended up getting our own My sister and I had our own line, and but it was it was upstairs, so like we'd be downstairs doing whatever to hear that phone ring and just see how fast.
Speaker 3: We could get upstairs to get to it. Before that.
Speaker 6: That was pretty cool your parents to give you your own line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just got taller, tired of us being on the phone all the time.
Speaker 6: And yeah, they had a long core.
Speaker 3: It did, Yeah, and it was it.
Speaker 2: My parents were smart because we had an extra bedroom that was between my sister and I his room, and that's where the phone was.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you drag it into your room, right exactly.
Speaker 5: I still remember my phone number form, my line that I had in high school.
Speaker 2: Your line to line too. Yeah, I can't believe in our phone book. And back when they made phone books they actually published the teen line.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine today the predators the seam line. Yeah, Colin dialing for dollars for kidnap victims.
Speaker 6: But I remember the concept of a phone book is funny now.
Speaker 3: It is let your fingers do the walking? Remember that?
Speaker 1: But to mean the white page is like personal. Yeah, somebody you go to city and you look up their number.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I were sitting on the phone book in the car as a small child, so I could see her.
Speaker 4: The dashboard when I was in the front seat, not buckled in.
Speaker 5: But the phone book was used for so many different things.
Speaker 6: It was for elevating small people.
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember the cover of a Mad magazine and it was the yellow page of slogan was let your fingers do the walking. And they had two fingers walking through a park and they had dog poop on the end of their fingers. Oh, I miss Mad magazine. Is there a place in the world for that anymore?
Speaker 6: My wife still has some does she really?
Speaker 2: She held on to Yeah, she was a fan, and then the knockoff version of Mad was cracked, right, Yeah, I remember that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I spent a lot of time as a kid at the magazine stand. Like my parents would go to the mall or whatever, and I had to go with them. I just stood there and never bought one. But I'd read all the wrestling magazines and all the whatever car magazines that were out there.
Speaker 1: I'd bullet my way to Spencers to see if there were any naked ladies on that middle road.
Speaker 6: They had the adult stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I slipped.
Speaker 6: Through the posters too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, IoT, nothing but John.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Spencers make you feel funny.
Speaker 3: Spencer's are they still open?
Speaker 4: I think they are.
Speaker 1: You know, I'd have a I'd have a nice gold bracelet on layaway from my lady.
Speaker 6: In middle school.
Speaker 3: Did you go visit it? Did you spend the extra money and get her name engraved on it?
Speaker 6: I'm going to pay this off someday.