Speaker 1: Good evening.
Speaker 2: It's time once again to return to those exciting premiere days of radio as KRLD presents the story of another real life crime fighter on Gangbusters, now.
Speaker 3: In cooperation with police and federal law enforcement departments throughout the United States, the only national program that brings you authentic police case history Gangbuster.
Speaker 2: We'll begin tonight's exciting story in just a moment.
Speaker 4: And now another episode of As the Spoon turns or cover clutches. Joel is piecing back and forth across the kitchen floor. The dark clouds got across his browls Nettie from personally in a corner of the room.
Speaker 5: It's not just your coffee, Nerdy, it's the last twelve years.
Speaker 1: Oh whimper? Will Joel leave?
Speaker 4: Will Netty switch to Kavo, the only ninety percent acid neutralized instant coffee on or in the market cover.
Speaker 6: Taste flame good, It's not bitter.
Speaker 1: Not think.
Speaker 7: When they neutralize the acid in it, they sort of pick those nasty sharp corners off the taste.
Speaker 5: Netty.
Speaker 1: Sure, Netty, have a cup of Kavo. A cup of.
Speaker 5: Coffee, Oh tatcho cup.
Speaker 4: This incident was brought to you by Comma, the Great smooth tasting instant coffee with the really ugly label Kabine from Borden and.
Speaker 3: So represent Lewis J. Valentine, former commissioner of the largest police force in the world. You'll interview by proxy the Honorable fred en Hauser, District Attorney of Los Angeles, com the California Commissioner Valentine. Mister Hawser, I know that Tonight's case is about one of the coolest killers of the last decade.
Speaker 8: Commissioner Valentine, The practices Tonight's case.
Speaker 1: Are almost unbelievable.
Speaker 8: During January of last year, such police flashes as the following were cracking out over the California airways.
Speaker 5: On JUnit now SEMIONI most Dangerous Government at Large today epidemic officials hold up the long California Coast SEMIONI gunning quin undred Ina Ventury Simoni Burglary December fourth, nineteen thirty three, arrested, sent to San Quenton nineteen thirty three, Assault with deadly weapon, attempt to commit murder nineteen SIONI reg'lar range thirty two to six feet, one hundred and fifty pounds, slender bill, dark complexion, piercing eyes. This man is fanatically cunning approach you in cautious.
Speaker 9: Hell, dam ooh oh aw, listen baby, I'm treating it to a late dinner to night.
Speaker 5: But then I can see you tonight.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the Flamingo Club for dinner and dancing all the table about eleven tonight.
Speaker 1: I look if I'm a little late.
Speaker 10: To order a big dinner for it stays night scream working.
Speaker 1: Late again, darling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, I'm crazy for you.
Speaker 1: You know me for one week and you're crazy for me.
Speaker 5: You know I am?
Speaker 1: Okay, ellis I have a big dinner on it.
Speaker 11: I uh n like a big dinner after I finish my work, right.
Speaker 10: That's cause a nice place you got here.
Speaker 5: Well, we like all people to be happy.
Speaker 8: And Dave and I just.
Speaker 2: Afay gaety and the light under the success of.
Speaker 1: Stranger.
Speaker 12: Put away that gun.
Speaker 5: All of you stay right way on.
Speaker 10: It's hold up.
Speaker 1: You're the owner. Open a cash register. Yeah, you're you're joking. Open the cash register.
Speaker 10: But but you've been sitting at the bar drinking for an hour.
Speaker 1: You're a friend.
Speaker 4: You're you're joking.
Speaker 5: I'm late for an appointment.
Speaker 10: Open a cash register.
Speaker 1: All the money's good, this is all of it. Turn your back and close the register. Why should I close it?
Speaker 9: Turn your back and close the register.
Speaker 5: Any when molves up? Kill ante, I'm late for a dinner. Appointment fell on folks. Emergency killing at ashes bar, wanton murder of proprietor, killer, slight of build, black hair, dressed as fashion plate, as nervous, habit of clearing throat. Description fits that of lone gunman Simeoni. This killer is fiendishly cunning. Sound a general alarm. This man must be taken dead or alive.
Speaker 3: Well, darling, I wanted the most wonderful dinner for us.
Speaker 6: Love Lamingo is bed? You like that state French fries broccoli with Holland days.
Speaker 1: Only a brunette would know what a man loves to eat.
Speaker 6: You really like brunettes better than blonde a tries except for the browntt Wow, you're to I've only known your week, but I died for you.
Speaker 1: What a charming way to make love?
Speaker 6: H Well, why were you the late coming tonight?
Speaker 1: What what business are you in? Well?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 9: You you laugh whine when the toy sells when I sell children's toys.
Speaker 1: No, why would I laugh at the time?
Speaker 9: That was why I was late tonight. I had to meet a man at the cafe. I could make more money, but the pleasure, we know one when you sell toys, little children will play with 'em and be happy.
Speaker 10: Oh, well, you're firs, Sue.
Speaker 1: I didn't know there were men like you. Didn't you know? Would you do make money out of at?
Speaker 3: Know?
Speaker 1: You always seem to have so much money the way I got things playing, Baby, I'm.
Speaker 10: Gonna have lots more.
Speaker 5: Uh, this was a haul up Wyant.
Speaker 10: You've all up been hearing a police flash has recently?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 10: I shoot quick if anyone knows, you know, it's strange. A woman tending burn Hi, missus artaka mis noon to seven. I only do it sometimes to help him.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's been here tonight.
Speaker 6: Yes, in the back room, which all take over. A veteran of World War One?
Speaker 9: Thee have I sown?
Speaker 1: Who's fighting in the Pacific. Now it's nice.
Speaker 10: Somebody turned a radio on.
Speaker 1: I like to have music. Thanks, that's the idea.
Speaker 10: Now, missus artag open a cash register.
Speaker 1: I will not do it.
Speaker 10: My husband and I work out from money.
Speaker 1: Music sounds pretty now let's have a music and a cash register opening?
Speaker 10: Ooh, I should you should?
Speaker 4: The mother of a boy miss fighting for your country.
Speaker 5: We will hear you and know they.
Speaker 9: Talk to me like this.
Speaker 1: But he is in the end. My wife. Oh I started fall to p H dramatic center the the other one. I want it anyhow we got the cash. I just to open the safe or I will open it. You can have everything that is suits me.
Speaker 5: Open it, beg it, scoop.
Speaker 1: It up and give it to me. Put it in this bag.
Speaker 10: They will turn your back and close the safe.
Speaker 1: You are everything. I'll go anywhere. I set to close the safe. By Richer.
Speaker 5: House Control Carse Murder Ortega Kabey fifty one twenty four Madison Road gunman slight black hair, immaculately dressed, shot and killed. Proprietor Louis Ortega investigated once description fits killer semeone spot for precede A section A plug off.
Speaker 6: Oh well I'm here, I'm the bed.
Speaker 10: Oh so dark, I didn't see. I wonder she's a scared.
Speaker 9: Written for your Yeah, come on accident, so I need no cute little blind ever ought to be scared?
Speaker 6: Oh the park's a dark your late, And all of a sudden I heard the time the police cars.
Speaker 9: Oh yes, some unscrupulous person you probably pulled a hold up, you know, when.
Speaker 10: I was foolish.
Speaker 6: Now you're here.
Speaker 1: I'm not afraid. I'm a blonds, don't do nat. I hate poor nuts.
Speaker 6: I'm afraid you swept me off my feet down five days and you were it good.
Speaker 9: I had no work to do, but I've looked forward all evening to me here out here on a park bench.
Speaker 1: M What do you do for anything?
Speaker 10: Hey? Or you'll laugh if I tell you no, I won't.
Speaker 9: I'm a salesman for artificial wombs, m artificial limbs, legs, arms.
Speaker 1: I don't know it. It gives me a feeling of worth.
Speaker 9: Wildness, bringing the happiness that people were unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Well you do well.
Speaker 9: He could make more money other ways, but what's money beside the finer things of life?
Speaker 10: Oh you're wonderful. Well, I will think I'm so good.
Speaker 1: But what's my opinion against thousands?
Speaker 10: There goes the police siding again. Many of Las CRU's nuts not with you here.
Speaker 9: It's just a police car, probably hunting down some gunlan.
Speaker 10: I hope they get him too.
Speaker 1: Probably after that Gunnlan has been doing a lot of killing.
Speaker 9: And Cat's say, oh, well, but don't really, I mean You've got me right here to look after you like a lot of plans bating and you're.
Speaker 13: In't everything, mister Howsan, I certainly agree with you that al Semoni was one of the cruelest killers in the past decade.
Speaker 8: I know you have many more.
Speaker 1: It's the interesting facts to tell us.
Speaker 2: We'll return to tonight's exciting story on Gangbusters.
Speaker 10: Oh really, it's almost too good to be true.
Speaker 7: You remember how every time Jack and I tried to quit smoking, we got so uptight. We would always have a big fight, while this time it's different. We heard about Smoking Control Centers of America. We figured, what can we lose but a nasty heabit.
Speaker 1: Their program works.
Speaker 7: It really takes the agony out of quitting cigarettes. They even guarantee it on you get your money back. We figure we're saving about fifty dollars a month and our lives.
Speaker 12: Smoking is more than just a nasty habit. Smoking causes cancer, emphysema, heart disease, and about three hundred thousand needless deaths each year. If you really want to quit smoking but just can't kick it alone, call Smoking Control Centers of America. We can help you quit our life. We guarantee you'll be a non smoker in just five days, or we'll refund your money in Dallas. Call five two two ninety three twenty. That's five two two ninety three twenty.
Speaker 3: All back to gang Batu and commis killer Valentine with.
Speaker 13: Killer Alcimoni loose, Mister Housen, I know the District Attorney's office as well as the police well faith with quite a proper We certainly.
Speaker 8: Were a commissioner because some wony combined the worst features of a master criminals.
Speaker 1: He was vicious, tricky, unpredictable.
Speaker 11: One particular instance should be noted.
Speaker 9: And not discussed as thought of any of this way.
Speaker 3: Why everyone clean.
Speaker 2: There's a special announcement coming on over the radio.
Speaker 5: We're breaking in on this program to make a very special announcement. The killer who has been operating in cafes and taverns is still at large. We ask all cafe owners and tavern owners to keep as little cash and they're safe as possible. Special plain clothes detectives are covering many California cafes. This killer has been causing a reign of terror as vicious. Now we're will continue with that program.
Speaker 12: Turn off the radio.
Speaker 1: It is though of flessing. There's some music please you you know fact killer came in here.
Speaker 8: I'd give him a clip on the jaw.
Speaker 1: And knock him flying, or don't talk that way what I wanted?
Speaker 9: Hey, probably he ever thrown through.
Speaker 2: If he's the man who talks too loud, who is the most like.
Speaker 1: A well, I's not sad.
Speaker 13: I hit him, wear my fists to knock him out.
Speaker 5: Now, do not talk so loud to the people.
Speaker 11: Are last thing I knew, and.
Speaker 1: An amusing way. I'd have you think I'm the braget gnaw and him up in the cash register.
Speaker 6: Don't you shoot two music?
Speaker 1: I would if he work somebody who house? Open it?
Speaker 9: Yes, he think, well.
Speaker 1: Open he's been watching this place you have extra money in then he would take that money from her so hard my husband, and you don't. So don't get him angry, mama. Let him take all the money and go away.
Speaker 12: No, he don't turn it too hot.
Speaker 1: Don't make him off.
Speaker 6: Anybody shot my wife?
Speaker 5: My wife?
Speaker 9: Not should anyone else reply the sappy.
Speaker 5: Emergency double shooting Southgate Cafe. Missus Gertrude Nelson in serious condition, Mister Frank Nelson, her husband has died. Killer slide to build black hair, immaculately dressed, fiendishly cunning. This killer must be caught dead or alive. Special officers are being assigned to all cafe districts.
Speaker 1: Muni, he look strange, Faz.
Speaker 9: The last time I saw anyone buses from me to seem to you see your hot simmunity to cups in her fleshes about you remed, But.
Speaker 10: I'm like the ghost disappears. I can use your phase ht you get in my room here, but you know where I was.
Speaker 1: I have ways, uh mind if I had put this bag.
Speaker 9: Of eggs down here on a bed, Giggs, Yeah, yeah, I I was on my way home. I got hungry sometimes after job, so I'd buy a few eggs and carry.
Speaker 1: 'em around in this little paper bag.
Speaker 10: You go, rits, h don't move quick.
Speaker 1: In the bed and braging fingers.
Speaker 9: Maybe if I had put 'em under the covers with you, you might.
Speaker 10: Hatch 'em well, Mary, a weak crewer you and make mere fingers.
Speaker 1: I'd thought up a new racket, and I can use you. Eh. Yeah, I'd put my last hold up of taverns and cafes.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna get the cops a different kind of headache. But all over Los Angeles they have.
Speaker 1: Check cashing stations.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they got banks too, so what at all the big industrial plants they got check books.
Speaker 11: So so these big corporations make checks out.
Speaker 1: To the employees. The employees go to any one.
Speaker 9: Of a couple of hundred cash windows and cash they check eggs.
Speaker 10: Come on, you're getting interested.
Speaker 9: There's so many of these places the cops couldn't possibly cover 'em all e. Now, uh if I had a light fingered man who could visit a lot of corporations, pick up a lot of loose checks, I could forge the checks, go to one of these caching boots and uh ey, shall we say cashian where that? This ain't no nightmare, it's a dream. So it says what who says you're good? It says you doesn't think? So what do I get ten percent to d good for.
Speaker 1: A couple of gray in a week?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 9: Dead?
Speaker 10: I hope I didn't break those eggs in your little paper bag? Look inside and see what do you think of my bag of eggs?
Speaker 1: Like good? Thirty?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 10: What a beaute?
Speaker 1: Oh gay?
Speaker 9: I walk around like a little stuff sh check with my little paper bag out in front of it. If the cops should start trailing me.
Speaker 1: I dropped the little paper bag.
Speaker 5: It is a mine.
Speaker 10: I don't know what's inside, and they can hold me for carrying concealed weapons.
Speaker 9: And when you go to a window to cashier check, I'll place my little paper bag down the window and if there's any cruple little bags, the little.
Speaker 1: Gun right up my hand. You're crazy to me, any crazy, crazy.
Speaker 8: Like a fox.
Speaker 9: But I have a hunch finger there's this little check casi in racket.
Speaker 10: It's gonna have the cops that popping.
Speaker 1: Pardon me, pretend you know me.
Speaker 10: I cree a hunk pern officer.
Speaker 1: I'm an officer, right, here's my badge.
Speaker 10: Oh, this is very confidential. I know who you are. A cashier at the Actuate check cashing service.
Speaker 6: What.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we're contacting you this way, so it's not to patent any danger.
Speaker 1: M take hands with me.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's a picture and I'm putting in your hand a picture of.
Speaker 10: A criminal where I have to if he stops at your cash whin they're telling him.
Speaker 1: You can't cash is check. You have to go to the check cashing wind in the terminal building.
Speaker 10: You understand nothing.
Speaker 1: That's all you did to know. You didn't wanna contact you to your home.
Speaker 10: I he that's all.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: There's the Los Angeles please, mister Henry well Y, yes where mainly you a picture? Please keep it in the strictest confidence. What do you mean a picture of a criminal? Can this man comes to your check cashing win. They're telling me you can't cash his check. You have to go to the check cashing win, to the terminal building.
Speaker 10: I didn't do anything, you say, sir.
Speaker 5: The you will arrive by mail in the morning. Please keep this in the spector's confidence.
Speaker 10: Yes, I should be glad to sir.
Speaker 5: Headquarters, Captain, this is Inspector Harwin.
Speaker 1: Yes, Inspector. There are scores of.
Speaker 5: Chickcashing windows in Los Angeles now, between the District Attorney's office and our own department. We've con't taken almost every clerk. If this black haired killer goes to one of these winders to cash any more of those bogus chicks, I think there's going to be fireworks.
Speaker 1: Good work, Inspector.
Speaker 5: We've laid enough traps, but he's avoided everyone.
Speaker 10: We've got to get him before he murders any more.
Speaker 1: People, and if we can take him alive, I'm going to cover.
Speaker 5: The terminal building myself, sir, and if he sat.
Speaker 1: There, that's what's your plan.
Speaker 5: The way the terminal building is built, I'll have to be one hundred feet away from the booth. But I've had my shoes rubbers sold in the heave. I think I can make a run and hit it with a flying tackle.
Speaker 10: He's quick as a cat with a gun.
Speaker 5: He's going to have to be this time, super because I wanna keep on a living too.
Speaker 1: Well. Hello, good morning, I am.
Speaker 10: I wanna cash your check.
Speaker 9: And uh, don't knock this paper bag of eggs off your window legs.
Speaker 6: I didn't know eggs because scarce you men had to carry 'em around.
Speaker 10: With you pressures. Uh, I have a wage check I want to cash.
Speaker 1: Well, let me see it.
Speaker 10: Uh say, don't you.
Speaker 1: Get a load, sou sou?
Speaker 10: When not bullet over your suits?
Speaker 6: Whom sometime you know.
Speaker 1: It had a good Yes?
Speaker 6: You uh work for the Ois company. M yes, hm mm two hundred and fifty dollars. M.
Speaker 9: I'm a scientist raw mm a scientist who loves redwoods.
Speaker 1: Latter.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I'm sorry, sir, but uh I'm afraid you'll have to go down to the terminal building to cash this. Why well, uh well, a little low on fun. Uh I'm sorry, sir. The terminal building.
Speaker 10: Uh there's a cash he has both there like this one.
Speaker 6: Oh, you can't miss it, right in the middle of the building.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 6: Oh, don't forget your bag of eggs.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 10: I got a weakness for redheads.
Speaker 2: Have it.
Speaker 9: Mm look after I get my check cash, suppose they come back and see you.
Speaker 10: Oh well maybe, which I have a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: Alright, I tell you you cash, you check.
Speaker 9: Down there and uh bee I do anything after it?
Speaker 1: Come back and see.
Speaker 10: It's a big red don't you saying?
Speaker 6: Maybe operator, operator, do the.
Speaker 1: T down any quick?
Speaker 10: Is this the tannel check cashing went down?
Speaker 9: Yes, I gotta check on have cash and certainly I'll let just put this bag of.
Speaker 1: Eggs up on the shelf here.
Speaker 10: I don't drop them now. I don't want any scrambled eggs at this window.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 10: Uh yeah, this is a pay check of two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, yeah right here.
Speaker 10: M this is your signatuobe it is? That's nice work there long.
Speaker 9: For about five years I'm in a research department.
Speaker 10: You must like that work. Yeah, yeah, that's fascinating.
Speaker 1: Uh can you cash the check?
Speaker 10: Oh yes, yes, let me see. Now I have to get my money out.
Speaker 11: What identication do you have?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 10: I had my cards so I can show you some of my pop go work.
Speaker 1: What a football tackle.
Speaker 13: He's a slippery article inspector, yet he had his gun.
Speaker 5: In his bag.
Speaker 1: I'll get this surf turn and.
Speaker 4: Inspector who tackled the cruelest killer on the West Coast.
Speaker 5: And he still doesn't know what's struck him to the will though by the time the courts get throwing him. That's why I wanted him alive, so they could give him what he got coming to him. He won't hit me, wit hit me the law Semeoni, the law.
Speaker 1: World Commissioner of Valentine.
Speaker 8: Simeoni was convicted of murder and just three weeks ago today he was taken into the death room of sam Quentin Penitentiary at two minutes past ten in the morning. Eight and a half minutes later, Simeoni was pronounced dead, dead.
Speaker 10: Dead.
Speaker 13: Thank you mister Houser for telling us the fact in tonight case. Clever as SEMIONI wise who wasn't clever enough to beat the combined.
Speaker 1: Forces of the law.
Speaker 2: On KRLD, you're reliving the exciting days of early radio. Tonight's broadcast of Gangbusters will continue following this brief pause.
Speaker 14: Most we brag about twenty two different kinds of pizza Shotgum Sam's Pizza Palace. But maybe you've got a topping you think is better If you do for coinsakes, get into Shotgun Sam's Pizza Topping contest. Your own special recipe could be worth three hundred dollars case. Stop by any Shotgun Sam's Pizza Palace and pick up an official entry blank for Shotgun Sam's Pizza Topping Contest.
Speaker 8: Your Dallas palaces are located at thirty two to forty nine West Northwest Highway and seventy five thirty East Grand Tonight's Gangbuster's Case was dramatized by Stanley Niss and directed by Leonard L. Bass, with Mandel Kramer and Fran Lafferty in leading roles. Roger Foster speaking Gangbusters is a Phillip State's Lord production, and that's Tonight's KRLD presentation of Gangbusters. Be listening again one week from tonight. At the same time for another story of a real life crime fighter on Gangbusters Tomorrow Night.
Speaker 2: KRLD invites you to relive again the timeless and thrilling escapades of the Green Hornet. That's Tomorrow Night. At the same time on KRLD.
Speaker 10: Sssssssssssssst Sisters
Speaker 6: Jus, Sister Jos