Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: There was a really dead point in that hole closing ceremonies where the gold creature, the gold thing, came down and was trying to find the Olympic rings.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I didn't I lost it. Mike Tarico and Jimmy Fallon didn't do a great job explaining to me what was going on, So it was just kind of on in the background. But then the fun happens, of course, and they do the they do Chili Peppers, and they do Billie Eilish, which seemed out of place but understandable.
Speaker 4: Motorcycles and then Hot Dog.
Speaker 5: Up Dog, and it was fun. It's fun. I don't know how they're gonna make it very la.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is, it's hard for us, I think, in the middle of it to figure out what the themes are. If you're if you're an American looking at Paris, you're like, oh, yeah, they've got to do all of that stuff that they did. The Eiffel Tower has to be in every single shot, and it was yeah, but what.
Speaker 4: Are we going to do.
Speaker 5: I mean, we had the Hollywood Sign.
Speaker 1: Some beaches and some peers and stuff like that. You got the Hollywood Walk of Fame, You've got Santa Monica Pier. I mean, just just make sure you zoom out so you don't see all the stabbings that go on there every day. Soft focus, soft focus would be good. Shoot it like you shoot Diane Sawyer through the Rockies, right. I I didn't catch the closing ceremony. I just caught the highlights of you know, Snoop and Dre and Tom Cruise and all of that, the hype. I also caught the news that they're going to give everybody a bronze medal now that has ever performed in any sort of gymnastics competition, just because they got them all, just because they were real close. You get a bronze and you get I'm not a big fan of that.
Speaker 2: It seems like this kind of stuff doesn't need to be difficult to figure out.
Speaker 1: I just want to point out something that happened before the show. Producer Matt told me that I am not to have a diet coke. Oh really, I said Matt, because I thought he would be an enabler. I said, Matt, should I get a diet coke? And he said he was very diplomatic about it, but it came to a no at the end. So I just want you to acknowledge that he is jumping on the grenade.
Speaker 5: He's looking out for the show.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: That's good play.
Speaker 1: And every freaking Monday we come in here and somebody's broken the computer because I don't know what goes on on the weekend.
Speaker 4: I don't know what they do in here.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's like burning man or their orgies, like what goes on.
Speaker 2: Every channel is on a home shopping network on the TV. Awful, Why would that even be a thing?
Speaker 4: Who is this woman?
Speaker 5: She's on the weather channel? That's what the weather? Oh yeah it is.
Speaker 4: I saw Mad Jersey.
Speaker 3: I had one hundred and seven thousand people. The press never even talked about it.
Speaker 2: Fake Okay, that was from a rally. There was another comment that he made, or a series of comments.
Speaker 4: Again, but what's what the obsession over crowd size?
Speaker 5: What do you mean? What do I mean?
Speaker 2: He was a pretty direct analogy to other things. But yes, Trump.
Speaker 1: Very genitals, implying genital it's the male thing.
Speaker 3: I have ten times, twenty times, thirty times the crowd size.
Speaker 5: This was from his president history for.
Speaker 3: Any country, nobody's had crowds like I have. Nobody's spoken to crowds bigger than me. If you look at Martin Luther King when he did his speech, his great speech, and you look at our speech, same real estate, same everything, we actually had more people.
Speaker 1: Okay, and listen, I don't that's a bad, bad argument to make.
Speaker 5: I don't care. I honestly don't care.
Speaker 2: I think he's completely wrong, especially on the Martin Luther King. But it doesn't matter. And the thing is, he's got to get off of this thing. It's it's such a First of all, his argument is that Wednesday, when Tim Walls and Kamala Harris showed up in Detroit on the Tarmaca, they walk out of Air Force too, that there was no crowd there, that whatever images you saw were AI generated images to make it look like the crowd was massive.
Speaker 5: And if you.
Speaker 2: Go online and you follow this on social media, there are commentators who are saying, oh, yeah, well, if it's real, how come you see all those people with phones in there in that crowd. But we don't see any videos from in the crowd. They're all over the place. The problem is those people making those comments don't realize that Twitter's algorithm keeps those images away from them. You actually have to do a tiny bit of homework to find those things. The other thing is this is not an issue that is going to win the election.
Speaker 1: Well, and the more you talk about how big your crowd is, the smaller it makes your crowd.
Speaker 5: If you catch my direct I think so, I think I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: But this is one of those things that if we said this after the National Association of Black Journalist fiasco where he got up there and said the Kamala Harris turned black, that's not an issue you, That's not an issue. The issue is the economy, immigration, and foreign policy.
Speaker 5: Those that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it, Yes, and that's all he should be talking about.
Speaker 5: You cannot control him.
Speaker 2: Kevin McCarthy, no fan of Donald Trump, and Donald Trump, no fan of Kevin McCarthy, said as much play I.
Speaker 5: Swear got to make this race. What happens in this place?
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: How do people break in here and start urinating on the keyboard?
Speaker 5: Everything short pancake syrup in the CPU. You've got to make this racing not on personalities.
Speaker 3: Stop questioning the size of her crowds and start questioning her position.
Speaker 1: All right, you get the idea, You get the point. I can't agree with you more. I mean, focus on what is happening with people when they go to the grocery store.
Speaker 5: Focus on that, because they do it every single day.
Speaker 1: I gotta say, Trader Joe's prices are really inc I went to Trader Joe's yesterday because I wanted some specific things.
Speaker 4: And it was night and day.
Speaker 1: I got the same stuff that I get at the other stores yesterday for like the week right, just like stuff, and it was probably fifty bucks less than I spend at the other places.
Speaker 5: And you got three bags of pirates booty.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't get any pirates booty. That's dangerous.
Speaker 1: But I did get like six packages of sausages that I saw on the Fearless Flyer.
Speaker 5: Those sausages are really good.
Speaker 4: Oh man.
Speaker 1: Former President Trump will sit down for an interview with Elon Musk on X Tonight. Interview will be hosted live on Trump's official account at five pm our time. Former president was given access on the account after it was suspended by the previous owners of Twitter over the Capitol Riot.
Speaker 5: Maybe there will be two fronts of World War three.
Speaker 2: The Jerusalem Post is reporting that Iran might carry out an attack on Israel in the coming days. There is supposed to be a summit on hostage deal negotiations on Thursday, and they're suggesting it might come before that. Of course, our Pentagon has ordered a guided missile submarine to the Middle East, is telling the USS Abraham Lincoln Aircraft Carrier Strike Group to pick it up a little bit.
Speaker 5: And get over there.
Speaker 2: The second front, of course, could be on the border between Russia and Ukraine. Authorities in the Kersk and Belgarod regions of Russia ordered the evacuations of tens of thousands of people because Ukrainian forces are making their advances deeper into the Russian territory there. Well, speaking of Iran, it looks like Iran hacked into the presidential campaign office of former President Trump.
Speaker 1: Dave Packer joins us now with all of the details. Dave, how did this go down over the weekend?
Speaker 6: Well, it turned out originally that you had Microsoft releasing a report on Friday saying that there was some sort of a hacking that was happening based on what they have that it was coming from Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and that they had breached an account of a former senior advisor. That didn't specifically say who this person was that was breached, but Microsoft said this was a case of spearfishing, which is when you have an email that shows up randomly and hoping that somebody will click on the link and that will open up all of your email and your information in your computer. And apparently that's what happened. Microsoft didn't say who, but the Trump campaign came along and said that they were the victims of a phishing attack and that information was taken. Now they were saying that it wasn't anything that was classified. This is from what we understand information regarding JD. Vance and some betting information that they had compiled prior to him being named as the vice presidential candidate.
Speaker 2: So we understand that Politico was getting some of the information from whoever this random person was that was emailing them that the New York Times may have also gotten them. But at this point, neither one of those agencies has reported on the specifics of those emails right now.
Speaker 6: The person was identified only as Robert and again this this person who whether it is a person or whether it's Iran posing as a person, you know, we don't know. It came from an AOL account. I don't know how many people still use those, maybe Iran to us. But it turns out that they neither one, either the New York Times nor Politico actually published what was in those reports, and probably, you know, doing that not a good idea to put it in there would only encouraged this sort of thing. But it was over two hundred pages of material from what Politico says.
Speaker 1: So it's Iran and my mother that are riding that AOL train into the.
Speaker 4: The dark knight. So it's funny.
Speaker 1: We were talking about this last week about people being on the lookout for Iran interfering with the election year and information and misinformation. It's funny to me because there's already so we're already doing such a great job of hacking into all of the information that comes out of the campaigns in terms of what you're reading on social media. It just doesn't seem like it's a good use of Iran's time when we're already screwing up everything on our own.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, don't forget. Iran does have a grudge with Trump. This goes back to the assassination of Sulamani, who was an elite head of the goods force over there, and they really still are quite agitated about that, and they still are promising, you know, some sort of retaliation. So it may be that the Trump campaign, more than the Harris campaign are in their sites.
Speaker 2: Speak of the Harris campaign, one of the things that came up over the weekend was Kamala Harris suggesting that she doesn't want to tax tips. That is an absolute mirror image of exactly what former President Trump has been saying in terms of no tax on tips, and everybody thought that was kind of a weirdly specific campaign note why would she pick up that same weirdly specific campaign note?
Speaker 6: Well, probably the short answer is she was in Las Vegas talking to culinary workers who rely very a lot on tips. So you know, that's an easy applause line for any politician when you're visiting folks who are servers, who or hospitality workers. You know, the bottom line on this, I mean, how practical could this be? The irs is saying this would cost, you know, a couple of hundred billions over a ten year period if you did this. And who's to prevent people from restructuring their salaries and saying maybe somebody who's a you know, a hedge fund manager might say, well, I only get paid in tips now, so I don't have to pay any axis. So you know, it's not as easy as it sounds. We're not going to tax tips anymore.
Speaker 1: Dave Packer, ABC News, great breakdown, appreciate it. We may be done with Debbie, but another tropical storm is developing in the Atlantic. According to the National Hurricane Center, it's being called potential tropical cyclone five. It's traveling at twenty six miles per hour. Officials say could become a named storm by the end of today. Much of the East Coast, still recovering from Debbie, may have to start bracing four Ernesto.
Speaker 4: That's fun to say.
Speaker 2: Twenty mile long line of fires is moving towards Athens, Greece. One of those fires already engulfed a mountain known for producing the marble that's used in the Acropolis and some other ancient buildings there in Athens. The nearby historic town of marathon has also been ordered evacuated.
Speaker 5: Yes, that marathon.
Speaker 2: Thousands, tens of hundreds of thousands of kids went back to school today at lu to F. One new policy in place is no no phones in classrooms.
Speaker 4: I didn't notice traffic being heavier this morning.
Speaker 5: I didn't. I didn't either.
Speaker 4: I thought it was just gonna be a mess.
Speaker 5: I don't think. I think I left late enough that it wasn't an issue.
Speaker 4: I think so too.
Speaker 5: It starts at what eight?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: What time to do school? Do they even have school anymore? I don't even know where.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think it's just cuddles and free food.
Speaker 5: And then next day anthons for men.
Speaker 2: Next hour, we'll talk about the fin whale that washed up near Torrents.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I love a whale on the beach. I love a dead whale on the beach.
Speaker 5: What amazed me was I think it was the Orange County Register.
Speaker 2: I had this picture of people looking at the dead way like I like the children. It's one thing, you don't see whales very often, and I suppose in southern California, even even in southern California, you don't see them very often. So if you see a whale, or if there's a whale at the beach, you're gonna go check it out. But how long are you gonna sit there and look at the dead whale?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: And what does that like?
Speaker 1: M Russian President Vladimir Putin said today the Ukrainian Army's incursion into the Kerk region, which has caused more than one hundred thousand civilians to take off and embarrassed to the Kremlin, is an attempt by Kiev to stop Moscow's offensive in eastern Ukraine's Dombas region gain leverage for possible peace talks in the future.
Speaker 2: I also saw that Putin was planning I didn't get a confirmation, you know, the Kremlin doesn't return our phone calls about whether or not he was going to talk with the nation tonight that he was planning a nationwide address.
Speaker 5: I don't know what it would be.
Speaker 2: It could potentially be, hey, we're pulling out all the stops and we're going to use the big guns now or whatever, or they're going to announce a full, full invasion of Ukraine and go after places like Kiev and Leviv and other eve towns. Most of all of this is been described as the sort of a last gasp, depending I guess on which side you're looking at. The last gasp from Ukraine to try to put an end to this, because if in fact Donald Trump is elected president, there are a lot of Ukrainians who fear that he will just have Russia or encourage Ukraine to get peace by giving up the land to Russia.
Speaker 1: Well, he's America first guy, yeah, so, and he just wants it to end, right exactly.
Speaker 4: It's not that it's not a vote for Russia per se. It's just let's get the hell out of there.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, in Iran in the Middle East, Iran and its proxies could attack Israel within the next twenty four hours, of course, in retaliation for the assassination of that leader of hamas Is Malhanaya in late July. Middle Eastern sources have told Fox News and The Financial Times there may be no attack at all, or there could be one tonight. Want waiting for death is more difficult than death itself.
Speaker 5: That sounds like fun.
Speaker 2: Also said that Iran has launched a psychological warfare campaign to keep Israel's military security and logistical capabilities on edge, denying residents of the occupied territories any sense of calm. I also mentioned that our Pentagon has ordered not just a guided missile submarine to the Middle East, but the US of Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier Strike Group, which I believe was in the Pacific, is now steaming towards the towards the Middle East.
Speaker 5: They told him, pick it up, get that thing. I don't know how fast they go. Thirty miles an hour, thirty five miles an hour. Not fast. It's a giant.
Speaker 1: It's a giant, cumbersome, slow moving craft.
Speaker 2: It's like me and none of the little and none of the little sucker fish the other parts of the strike group. They're not going to go faster than the carriers, so I mean, they could, but they're not going to leave it behind.
Speaker 1: So over the weekend, I had some friends that were at a wedding in DC. I do have friends, and they were texting me during the rehearsal dinner because the speech by the bride's brother had a PowerPoint accompanying it, and in the power point where pictures of Donald Trump, there were references to the assassination attempt. He called people in the audience godless West Coasters, Oh okay, and they were live texting and just like flabbergasted that this was happening.
Speaker 5: But this was the rehearsal dinner. Yes.
Speaker 1: The following morning, my husband says to me, Hey, do you see this article in the New York Times? And it was about keeping politics out of weddings. I have a girlfriend who's getting married three days after the election, and she's talking now about should I put signs up? Let's just say no politics, Like that's where we're at. Anyway, we'll get into it later on with the New York Times article was all about about keeping politics out of functions.
Speaker 2: Because I saw an article also it was Washington Post, but it was about can my spouse tell who I vote for? Or can my spouse find out who I vote for? Like that you would keep it secret or that you would be concerned that it would cause an issue if you had a different opinion than your spouse.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Oh, my husband and I have different opinions.
Speaker 5: But that's but.
Speaker 2: You guys are smart enough that you know that that's not why the relationship got together in the first place.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: But I don't share everything that I do in the ballot booth personal Okay, So what happens like stuff that happens here on the weekends, you know, to that computer.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: You don't need to know everything, probably don't want to know everything. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I started watching this show fire Country on CBS. It's a yeah, it's a network show, but it showed up on Netflix and I was like, now, let's try this.
Speaker 5: It's supposed to be CalFire, is it.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's it's like a freaking cal fire love letter.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it's one of those Virgin River type shows where it's so kitchy and it's so implausible some of the things that the scenarios of the firefighting, and you know, we've covered fires for decades, so we kind of know how it works. We've covered CalFire for decades. So you got to just suspend disbelief. You've got to just kind of go along with it and be like, Okay, that's not really what would happened. But it's got that same feel of h of just like warm, soft lit Georgia s House. It's supposed to be northern California, but the fire parts are not. They're good, but they're not they're not.
Speaker 5: Really hard to do. It's probably hard to yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but it's it's that same feel, so let your wife know.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the one of the highlights for me on the closing ceremonies last night.
Speaker 5: Was the national anthem sung by her what great job, great song.
Speaker 2: It was awkward because there were moments where it was hard to tell if the pause was supposed to be that law not in her song. But I mean immediately after the song, there's clearly a transition that's happening, and but nobody's doing anything, and the camera's just kind of panning around a big, darkened stadium, so you don't know what's going on. Jimmy Fallon and Mike Tarrico, of course doing it for NBC, know that something is coming next and probably are looking at sort of a rundown of what they can expect.
Speaker 5: So Jimmy Fallon was like, Oh.
Speaker 2: Something's happening, something's gonna happen, something's happening.
Speaker 5: It just let it go. I mean, he didn't have to do that.
Speaker 4: The camera pans up if it's some oxygen.
Speaker 2: Uh. Ethan Hunt of course, the Tom Cruise Ethan Hunt character I guess he was in.
Speaker 5: Character is on the very top of Staud de France.
Speaker 2: And then jumps it, repels into the stadium, grabs the flag, well is handed the flag by the mayor and Simone Biles, and then he jams it into the flag holder on the back of the motorcycle, you know, the motorcycle in the middle of the stadium.
Speaker 1: The mayor looked good, she looked good keeping that high and tight.
Speaker 5: And then of course he rides out, jumps into a C one thirty.
Speaker 1: Of course, she's got to have cargo planes and motorcycles.
Speaker 2: Two seconds later, it's daylight and he parachutes to somewhere near Los Angeles. Runs about four seconds and he's at the Hollywood sign. And then the big reveal was the o's in wood Hollywood become the two bottom Olympic rings. Ah, and he put three others up above it. So Hollywood with how clever.
Speaker 1: We have an eight decade old cardboards sign on a hill. I think it's plywood, whatever the hell it is. And then of course they changed the flag. They give it to he gives it to somebody, that guy gives it to another guy. That guy gives it to a skateboarder. They go to the beach and then the right hot it was Chili Peppers. It was Billie Eilish.
Speaker 2: Actually her song I thought was totally out of content, like it was the very Rose.
Speaker 4: I don't know, aren't they all kind of morose.
Speaker 2: Very slow and compared to the Chili Peppers of course, but they did it on a lifeguard stand.
Speaker 5: I'm assuming it was a made up like what did the.
Speaker 4: Chili Peppers sing? Exactly under the bridge?
Speaker 5: No, it was more recent than that.
Speaker 4: Really, we don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they're I don't know what that's called. All right, I'll find it. And then of course Snoop and Doctor Drake came out and closed the show.
Speaker 4: I love some Snoop and dre So, I mean.
Speaker 2: This all preparing for four years from now when we get the Olympics and however we're going to do it. I mean, obviously the opening ceremonies would be at the colisseum uh and then all the different arenas and stadiums, et cetera that they're going to have. But where are they going to do like a marathon swim in Los Angeles?
Speaker 1: Not in the poop water in the river, in the feces foam. I don't think it's going to be open water swimming.
Speaker 4: Oh, they could fill the La River.
Speaker 2: I think they'll do it in a lake somewhere, do a castaic or piru or something like that.
Speaker 4: Can they do it in the in the ocean.
Speaker 2: They could do it in the ocean, but that was also runs the risk of the hyperion plant dumping tens of thousands of gallons inadvertently.
Speaker 5: So it's true.
Speaker 2: We'll talk more Olympics in the eleven o'clock hour because that Australian break dancer or breaker was an abst.
Speaker 4: Stop right, can't stop addicted to.
Speaker 5: The can't stop addicted to.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, that's as far as I got two thousand and two time time late, very very much so.
Speaker 2: And then the Jordan Childs issue and Yla is supposed to be carless when it comes to the twenty eight Olympics. All that stuff has come up. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.