Speaker 1: Hi everyone. J Michael dangelis here, co creator of Mission Rejected. Welcome you to another episode of Mission Rejected presents this month. We're really pleased to bring you another episode of What did We Just Watch? The movie trivia quiz show podcast. We presented this back in twenty twenty three when we were contestants covering the Saint, and since then a whole lot of Mission Rejected folks have popped up on the show, and of course our very own Admiral Bob Killian is a regular panelist and occasional co host. It's a great show. We love weird, cult, cheesy movies and this show honors that and we were really thrilled recently when the creator of the show, Mark actually offered us to take over an entire episode. So I was the host and the movie I selected was Shock Treatment, the weird quasi sequel to The Rock Horror Picture Show. The contestants are Pete, Bob, and Chris, and let's see how they do. So I'm going to turn it over to them and the first round of what did We just watch?
Speaker 2: Shock Treatment?
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, thank you for coming this evening to the Avengers two Memorial Studio we've we've been called here because the portrait has been given the opportunity not only to take over what did we just watch? While Mark Nasall has fled the country a movie so shocking even Mark had to flee the country he was scared. But we've all given the opportunity to pitch new television shows to the DTV network. So I want everybody's best pitch. Mister Flavors is waiting for the new fall lineup, so let's hear them. What do we got? All right?
Speaker 3: This it's called leave it to Diva, Denton's own diver, always getting in trouble, always doing silly things. But you just leave it to Deva to do the silly things, and then we're all more tolerant.
Speaker 1: In the end, I feel important lessons might be learned. I like it. It's old fashion, and that's that what we're trying to bring back. Yes, I win, Maybe not yet.
Speaker 4: Speaking of old fashioned, I have a great pitch for you. There's going to.
Speaker 5: Be a large English architecture piece with many actors in there on a wonderful TV show that we will call Denton Abbey.
Speaker 3: Oh ah, I see.
Speaker 1: What sort of intrigue will happen on Denton Abbey.
Speaker 6: Maggie Smith will return from the grave insold.
Speaker 1: I'm sold. We got two.
Speaker 3: Is she gonna be upstairs or downstairs?
Speaker 4: All the stairs?
Speaker 1: She will play the stage and Judy Dench as the basement.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 7: Well, I got one that's gonna knock you out of this park, all right, h we need some small town Americana, just like we need in Denton. So we're going one stayed over or But you know what, I always thought we were in Ohio, not that I think about it, but I'm not on tail shure.
Speaker 2: That's correct. So where let's not worry about where we are.
Speaker 7: There's a little town called Danville, Ohio, and they have a game that they play once a year, which will make a great game show. We have a lot of game shows on this network. I want to add another one. And what they have over there in Denville, Pennsylvania is the annual toilet Toss. I knew you would like this one, d'angela. What it is is you get out your most aerodynamic toilet, You're thrown as far as you can. I think the audience will go crazy. The problem is we do not have the rights to the name toilet toss. So I've got a brand new name and it is Game of Thrones. So we're gonna call it Game of Thrones, and I think it's gonna be a hit, and you know, everyone throws their toys, everyone has a great time, and then at the end it ends in a very unsatisfying way and then everyone gets mang goes home.
Speaker 1: I think that that name is also probably taken, but I'm gonna go with lusher Fling.
Speaker 2: Wait what year is this? Okay?
Speaker 1: But this was These were all good pitches, but I think I've got the ultimate ultimate one. It's really gonna bring everybody to the TV.
Speaker 3: Well, tell us it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be called what did I just hear?
Speaker 4: On?
Speaker 1: What did we just watch? And it's just gonna be thirty minutes of me correcting trivia that I heard on what did we just watch? And ranting about how they didn't bring up like, for example, how did you not go in depth on the complete IMDb filmography of Lauren Holly star pickt Fences? How did we not talk more about Janine Turner's turn on Northern Exposure? How do we not do on Sergeant Pepper? Like a complete deep dive into the Robert Stegwood organization that produced that movie. Believe as Bob, I think it was you or Mark who said, why does this feel like? Somebody saw the Who's Tommy and said, let's make it but a family movie? Because that is exactly what Robert stikwould did. He made both those movies.
Speaker 2: This has been, this has been what did we just hear?
Speaker 7: That's right, Brandy, you sound a little obsessive here, Michael. I think you should be introduced to two doctors that we all know, because they might have some questions for you.
Speaker 1: Think I could get on a revival of Denton Vale.
Speaker 2: I think anything's possible. You're in Denton.
Speaker 1: Sign me up, bring in the diver, sign me up? All right, everyone, Welcome to What did we just watch? The Movie? Trivia quiz Show podcast. Today's episode is about the ninth eighty one musical film Shock Treatment, written by Richard O'Brien, directed by Jim Sharmon, starring Jessica Harper clipped a young Richard O'Brien, Patricia Quinn, Charles Gray, and Little Nell. In this movie, the town of Denton has been placed under the control of a television network, with the town's entire population involved in the network's productions. Brad Majors of the Rocky Horror Show or Maybe Not find himself imprisoned in the local mental hospital while his wife Janet becomes part of the pet project of Farley Flavors, the local plutocrat. This film, a follow up to the legendary cult classic The Rocky Hart Picture Show, is, in the words of Richard O'Brien, not a sequel, not a prequel, but an equal words, I feel later retracted. I'm your host j Michael DeAngelis taking over this show and our contestancies. We are Pete Barry playing as Winley McKinley.
Speaker 7: Hello Pete, Hey, Sorry, I couldn't come with a more exciting name, but I did love the mckinleys in this movie, so so.
Speaker 1: I decided to join the family playing as Professor Fate. It's Chris Kleinecki pushing the buzz in Max and our one regular from what did we just watch? Here to make sure that we don't lose total control, it is Bob Killian playing as bobbing in the kitchen. Hey, that's what I'll be doing. And as always, of course, our contestants are playing for this week's mystery prize, which will be revealed at the end of the show. So before we dive into shock Treatment, and there's a lot to talk about. I think it's important to talk about the history of this movie because it's really interesting. So I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey. In nineteen seventy five, Twentieth Century Fox released The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which was the film adaptation of the cult News School, which had been a smash hit in London and LA and would open and close on Broadway before the release of this film, So they played did in LA. They went and shot the movie, they came back and played on Broadway. It did not go as well on Broadway as I had elsewhere, And then the movie came out and the movie went least well of all, so it was an immediate flop on its release, but the film grew in popularity thanks to midnight screenings, with audiences developing rifts and callbacks to shout it at the screen, and it became a cultural phenomenon. It is considered to be the longest running film of all time because it has been in continuous release since nineteen seventy five. There are still places that show it every week every month. It certainly still gets played most often at Halloween as a special thing. So it is, and it is one of the very few films when Disney purchased Fox that they did not put into the Disney fault. So Fox had a very liberal if you wanted to screen any old Fox movie, you could order it from the catalog and show it at your movie theater. That's not a policy that Disney has. But they did not want to disrupt Rocky Horror, which I think also I think we can talk later on does this make Doctor Franknfurter or a Disney princess. So encouraged by the success of Rocky Horror at its continued and growing success, author and poser Richard O'Brien set to work on a sequel, and in nineteen seventy eight he wrote something called Rocky Horror Shows His Heels that was going to be a very traditional sequel. It would have featured all of the characters from Rocky Horror, even the ones who had died. Fox responded, yes, but it was a science fiction double feature. So in the tradition of these things, people come back, And apparently Fox responded fairly strongly to the outline, but he also wrote all the songs, and he had a demo tape and they really liked the songs, and that is the one piece that sort of stayed through until Shock Treatment are the songs. So a lot of these songs were originally written for rocky horror shows. I thought, so, yes.
Speaker 6: This sounds like it was like a rough draft of the time warp as I was listening to.
Speaker 1: But what happened was Tim Curry had no interest in playing Frank again. He thought, I mean, he had been doing it at that point. He did it for like three years in a row, so he was done playing Frank. And Jim Sharmon also wanted to do something more different and not just rehash rocky horror. So Richard O'Brien went back to work and the next script was something called The Brad and Janet Show. Its plot is pretty similar to Shock Treatment, but instead of taking place entirely in the TV studio, it would have been shot on location in Denton, Texas, and all of the scenes would have been shot taking place around town. There was still a TV studio at which Janet works, but she also had a home and her parents had a home, the asylum was a real asylum, all those things, so it would have been more realistic than what this movie portrays.
Speaker 4: That sounds pretty expensive to produce though.
Speaker 1: Right, but it was all ago. I mean. One other major difference that was from what ended up being Shock Treatment is that the Rocky Horror character of doctor Everett Scott would have been the host of Marriage Maids and the manager of the Dent Intellivision station, so that would have been his role. It was hoped that Tim Curry would play Farley Flavors and Brad Major's but he was interested but pasted, saying he did not think his American accent would be strong enough, particularly for Farley Flavors, who was supposed to be this, you know, very very American kind of guy. Barry Bostwick, who had played Brad, was unavailable because he was on Broadway, and Janet Susan Sarandon by now had become too big a star and her price tag was more than they could afford. However, Cliff de Young and Jessica Harper were cast in their place. We'll talk more about the cast in a little bit. And Richard O'Brien, Patricia Quinn, Little mel Campbell and Charles Gray all returned from Rocky Horror Picture Show, but in different roles. This will be up what we'll do A who can get an early bonus point? A pre quiz question, A buzz in? Yes, you can buzz it who is the only actor And if you don't know the actor's name, you can say the character who is the only actor to play the same character in Rocky Horror and Shock Treatment. That's gonna go to Bob so I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know his name, but like in Rocky Horror, he is like the he's like sort of narrating, He's like telling the story. It's like the criminology at the Criminologist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is incorrect. We will talk, so we will talk about whether or not that character is supposed to be but it's not explicit. Okay, okay, so uh that is not explicit. There is one only one character who is explicitly the same person. The next person to buzz in was Chris, do you want to take a guest? Doctor?
Speaker 6: Oliver was also my guess. I felt like he was kind of playing the same rule. Yeah, I agree, nebulous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Pete, do you have a guest?
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 7: I'm thinking it's gotta be something non human or something because I'm going through all the people in Rocky Hart We I don't know if I think Bob and Chris also watched Rocky Horror in prepp of this am I am? I corrected that I went back and watched Rocky Horror again, and I'm like, I do not remember anyone who who was in both the both movies as the same person.
Speaker 1: So the only person to reprise their role from Rocky Era Picture Show is Jeremy Newsom, who plays Ralph Hapshat. So Ralph has a fairly large part in this movie. He is who is getting in the very first scene of Rocky Horror, and Janet are at the wedding of Ralph and Betty Hapshat. Okay, right, so he only has a brief He has a brief scene with Brad and he says, oh, Brad, you'll be next. Brad sick stamit Janet right, and then Ralph and Betty are in this movie. Betty is played by somebody different, but Ralph is still played by Jeremy Newsom. I'll just be up front, I think Harry Newsom is amazing in this movie. It's such a tiny thing and it makes the most. And then finally, many of the folks who played the Transylvanians and Rocky Horror either have small parts, are in the audience of this movie, so there's a lot of familiar faces. Everything was ready to go, but a near fatal blow came when the Screen Actors Guild went on strike in America, preventing the filming from commencing. There what's that I know? It was at that point that production designer Brian Thompson suggested that if the entire story was reworked to take place in the TV studio, you could film the entire thing quickly and cheaply on a soundstage in England where the strike wouldn't apply. So Richard O'Brien quickly wrote a final draft, which is what became Shock Treatment. And if you watch the credits, Brian Thompson gets in an additional ideas by credit.
Speaker 2: That's what I wanted to know? What that? That's what that you would do?
Speaker 1: The idea suggested to move the entire thing into the TV studio, which.
Speaker 2: That was his additional idea that got him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, with the writer credit, it made the movie happen yeah, I mean, I guess, I.
Speaker 1: Guess it's we'll talk more. But I mean, I think one of the things that I love about the Rocky Horror gang is that you can tell how much they enjoy working together and what spirit these movies have. So I really think that, like, yeah, they were like, oh, Brian, what a gread.
Speaker 2: You should get credit for credit.
Speaker 1: I can believe that giving thing. So so that is the sort of tangled history of Shock Treatment. So real quick, what did everybody think? I assumed this was everyone's first time watching Shock Treatment? Yes, and Bob, I know it was your first time seeing Rocky Horror. You were really in Rocky Horror parlance. You were a virgin I was. I was, and Rocky Horror I really loved a lot.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed watching it, and Shock Treatment not as much.
Speaker 2: I really like what it's doing.
Speaker 3: I think you said earlier Michael, before we started recording it, it's a movie that's hard to digest the first time seeing it. I think that's very much my experience. I was having a really hard time at first understanding what was going on and what was happening. But you know, I definitely love the creativity of it. I love the like concept of it's flowing in and out of being a show and being like things that are happening, Like, I liked that. I like the social commentary. You know, it's fun and silly.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot that I like about it. It was a lot to take in the first time seeing it.
Speaker 1: Chris, this was the first time I've seen it.
Speaker 6: I saw it earlier this week and de liberately did not do additional research before or after.
Speaker 4: Actually, I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Sure exactly how to wanted to have a pure experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I also, this is my first time having Michael as the host, so I don't know what kinds of questions.
Speaker 4: To prepare for. Okay, let's just watch the movie and like that's the that's the assignment. I am very.
Speaker 6: Torn about this film. Again, I haven't read about the reception, but if I had to guess, I would say, for rocky horror fans, I bet this is very divisive where.
Speaker 1: Almost you are correct.
Speaker 6: Almost half would be like, thank goodness, we get more. Richard O'Brien, this is exactly more of what I wanted, and the other half are saying, Richard O'Brien, why did you do this, like, why couldn't you just leave let it let's sleeping dogs, lie, Rocky Horror was your opus? Why do this and like tarnish it?
Speaker 1: I think you're pretty spot on. It is really interesting because Rocky Horror is an R rated show. It's very you know, it's adult almost every possible way. And this is rated PG. Yeah, Uh it is, right, Uh, it probably is pre PG thirty but but it's it's never been reclassified as you know anything. But and it.
Speaker 4: Technically gets by on PG like by the you know the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's hardly any cursing, there's no there's no nudity, there's sexuality, right, yeah, no real violence or anything. Yeah, so it does. However, it's not what we mostly think of as a PG film.
Speaker 2: It's an it's still an adult movie.
Speaker 1: It's still a transgressive movie, but not in the way that Rocky Horror is. I don't think anybody watched Shock Treatment and went this just changed my life in the way that I know people have seen Rocky Harton gone oh this just changed and this has changed my life. Pete, what did you think is shock Treatment?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so if you if you'll indulge me, I did watch Rocky Horror again, because I was like, let me see.
Speaker 2: If I don't, I don't know why.
Speaker 7: I just I don't prepare myself in the way I expect I should write. And I had only seen Rocky Horror once before, and it was in the theater with a you know, people doing the Rocky Horror whatever, and I did not like it.
Speaker 2: Like I in the theater was like I, I just didn't like it.
Speaker 7: I think the people performing it were like doing some kind of Disney haunted mansion thing where they just like had no expressions. Maybe that's the way you do it. People were yelling, can't their canned lines. I was like, I don't get this, man. And watching it earlier this week or last week or whenever it was just by myself watching it, I was like, oh, I kind of really like that. I was like, so I had sort of the reverse Rocky Horror experience, and I think most super fans do, which is like I just enjoyed watching this as a movie just by itself, without all the stuff. It was also kind of an inverse room reaction, where like that is only watchable in a room full of people like shouting at this and is impossible to watch by itself.
Speaker 1: I think that's super understanable, because if you don't know what the rituals are, you yeah and feel like very out of place.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But being able to watch the movie just as a movie, I was like, Oh, this is good and I'm enjoying this a lot more.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 7: Then went into shock treatment, and I guess I also don't really know what to think about it. Like I I came away from both movies feeling like, and I don't know why, it's not just Richard O'Brien, it's it's Jim sharm is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 7: Coming away feeling like, here is a bunch of people who just really are having a good time making whatever it is they're making.
Speaker 2: And I can't not love that on some level, right. I just like Richard O'Brien.
Speaker 7: He's just my kind of kook, right, And I like that he's never the main character, He's just he's some strong minor character. I so it's hard for me not to just separate the experience of watching people just loving what they're doing from whatever the hell this movie was, which I still am not entirely sure what this movie was. I felt it sounds like as a lyricist. I thought some of the lyrics were pretty ingenious. The music is not my favorite, but like I was like, yeah, like I really some songs stuck with me and I was like, oh yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: A that's a damn good lyric.
Speaker 7: And at the end I had a headcannon, which I will save till the end because it will also spoilers on other movies.
Speaker 1: So the so I before we started rolling, I was telling Bob a little bit about my history with Rocky Horror, which was it was in I was in a one of my first professional acting gigs in a show with teenagers, and I was on the young end of the teenagers and they all knew Rocky and I didn't, So I kind of got introduced to it the songs anyway, and around this and I knew my aunt, who was at that time in her late twenties, I guess, and was a big part of the counterculture scene in the eighties, was a big Rocky Hart fan, and she went and saw it multiple times, you know, when they played it every week at the Ritz. So I knew she owned it on video, and so around the same time they showed it on TV for the first time, I believe it was its fifteenth anniversary, and so it was a big deal. So they showed it on Fox on the network, and my parents let me watch it, but I had to watch it without my brother and sister in the room, so I had to watch it on the little TV in their bedroom by myself. And I was like, I I like this, this is frightening me. I'm having feelings. I don't understand. I don't understand what some of the things are happening on screen, both metaphysically and physically. But I was. I was definitely transfixed by it. And then I as I do to this day, I then immediately had to find out as much as I could about it. My aunt bought me the Audience Participation Handbook and I read about it, and then around so around the same time, probably a couple of years later, I probably was in high school. Early one like Saturday morning, flipping through the TV channels, stopped on something that was in uh Sanitarium, and I went, Oh, that's riff Raff and Magenta from Rocky Horror. And then these other people came in and they were calling the Brad and Janet, and I was like, well, that's weird, but that's it's not Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick, and they're not playing riff Raff and Magenta.
Speaker 2: I guess it's some sort of in joke.
Speaker 1: But then it was in Denton and I'm like, wait, I I think what I saw was the Shock Treatment song. And then my siblings were probably like, will you please change the goddamn chat. So I really felt like I had this complete fever dream of like I dreamt a Rocky Horror sequel but not, and I like, I even like when it used to do you know before the Internet? You ran to the TV guide and I read the descript and it was like the brand and Janet, are you know the deal with it? And saying like it again, it was sort of like, well, what does that mean? Does that mean this is a rocket? So later as I learned more that yes, this was intended more or less as a sequel to Rocky Horror, but because of the various production changes, that ended up as just sort of this semi sequel. It's a spiritual follow up, but it's very weird in that you have much of the same cast from Rocky Horror playing different characters and two people who weren't in Rocky Heart are playing characters explicitly from Rocky harr right, So you've got Brad Janet or the leads in this as well, but it's not Barry Bostwick and Susan Sarandon. So it is very confusing to a newcomer. And we talked about it. I do think the one, if you'll excuse the pun gray area, because it's Charles Gray, it is the criminologist and the judge. Are they the same person? I think, without saying it, I feel like the movie does imply that it is the same kind of same kind of person. I never explicitly say, and no one references anything. None of the characters directly reference the events of Rocky Horror, So.
Speaker 2: It makes for a very weird thing.
Speaker 1: It's not about the same things as Rocky Horror, you know, it's not really about sexual freedom. It's to a certain decreatives, but it's it's it's got a different bent. It's a very claustrophobic movie because the whole thing is set. And that's another thing. I was like, what what is happening here? Why is there an audience watching this? You know? And it took me so I didn't see it again for many, many, many years until they finally put it on on DVD and I finally got to sit down and watch it him start to finish, and I think my first reaction too, was like, this is very, very weird. But I really, I actually really liked the score and I love the Rocky Horror music. I was compelled to watch it again pretty quickly after the first time, and I actually really love this movie. I have fallen, definitely fallen in love with it every years. I actually think the music is great. I think Richard O'Brien and Richard Hartley do a great job, and I think Richard Hartley deserves a lot of credit. They're pretty open. Richard O'Brian's pretty open that you know. He writes on a guitar, pretty big, writes the tunes, and then he gave them. Richard Hartley was the arranger for the stage version of Rocky Horror, which they did with like for musicians, and then it grew as it went to LA and then it grew to Broadway, and then it grew and just the arrangements for the Rocky Horror movie are the best those songs will ever sound, and the arrangements for this movie, I think are just killer. I just think they're just killer. But enough chat, let's play our game, all right, for the first round. Over the last week or so, I've listened to a lot of what did we just watched and prepare for my hosting duties, and so I know, and I've been a contestant several times, so I know. We always liked to open with a little character run down. Yeah, all right, so we've already talked about brand Janet, so we're not going to include them here. But can you tell me who is Farley Flavors? All right? That is Chris.
Speaker 5: He is the.
Speaker 4: I would call him like the primary antagonist in some way.
Speaker 6: He kind of like owns this whole studio, owns the town maybe, and is sort of the the richelu or puppet master of all the machinations that are going on. He also owns, I believe, the fast food business.
Speaker 1: That is correct. That is correct? All right? Moving on? Who is Bert Schneck? All right, that's Chris again.
Speaker 4: He's the blind or not MC or Marriage Maids.
Speaker 1: That is correct. He is very he is, Yes, he starts the movie out at least seeming to be blind and he is the host of Marriage Maids. Now, I've got a bonus question related to this. Do you know who plays Bert and who they are better known as.
Speaker 2: That is Barry Humphries.
Speaker 7: That is correct and who and he is better known as the Goblin King and the Lord of the Rings. We know he is better known as Dame Edna Everidge.
Speaker 1: Uh is uh?
Speaker 2: I mean it's interesting. I didn't even put it together until just now.
Speaker 7: One of the classic I don't know if you call him is that drag technically? I mean, like, yeah, he's Dame Edna was.
Speaker 2: A character of Barrie's I think I saw her onlike like old PBS intros or something like that.
Speaker 1: He would have even like NBC specials. The Dame ever Ever Special would happen like every two years. So yes, very if you've not seen Barry as Dame Edna, she is. Barry was Australian, So Dame Edna was this very eccentric, rich Australian dame and she would interview celebrities. It was very, very funny, very transgressive, but popular enough to be like on NBC. It was a worldwide you know, Barry did that character all over the world. Bob of a bonus question just for you. In what other what did we just watch? Film? Does Barry Humphries appear as Dame Edna very briefly? What did you watch? Not just now a lot of time ago? What did you previously watch? And what did he just watch?
Speaker 3: Okay, appears.
Speaker 2: His mind everything.
Speaker 1: Yes, I will give you a hint. It's a It is a cameo with many other celebrities.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, okay, I'm gonna guess it's Sergeant Pepper's and that is correct.
Speaker 1: He's one of the celebrities at the end of Sergeant Pepper's recreating the album cover. Yes, all right, everybody's on the board, all right.
Speaker 7: I was very excited when I found when I figured out like a couple of minutes and I was like, oh, it's very Humphreys.
Speaker 1: What please tell me? What are the names of the doctors who run the Dbton Veil asylum that goes to Pete.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's Cosmo McKinley and his apparently sister Nation McKinley. The greatest name I've heard. I think.
Speaker 7: At some point there it's explained that they think I think of him as a criminologist. Does he believe they might be related to.
Speaker 1: Uh President McKinley. We'll talk about that. We'll talk about that, all right. That's a point for Pete. All right, Uh who is Ricky? Pete?
Speaker 2: I think I'm wrong? But is Ricky one of the kids in the bands?
Speaker 1: Incorrect?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Was Chris?
Speaker 4: That's a better answer than mine. I was going to say the invisible Raccoon. No wrong answers only Chris, I will guess.
Speaker 1: Is Ricky the Oh? Wait?
Speaker 3: Is Ricky the ex husband?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, no, sorry, Ricky otherwise known as rest Home Ricky is the He's the orderly played by the great Rick Mayol from The Young Ones. Uh. So, he does not have a lot of lines, but he's in a whole bunch of the movie, and he's in a bunch of the songs, and we'll talk about he may have a romantic relationship as well.
Speaker 2: He's got one of my favorite jokes later.
Speaker 1: All right, here's the next question. If Ricky is the orderly, who is the nurse at Denton Vale. I'll say, as a hint, I don't think she ever gives a full name. I think it's just her last name.
Speaker 3: So it's not Hello Nurse.
Speaker 1: It is not Hello nurse. No, sorry, so it's nurse and Solong.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was gonna say ambrosia or something.
Speaker 1: I don't say it several times? Nurse Anselong and she is played by little Nell Campbell, who was Columbia in the Rocky Hartman. All right?
Speaker 2: Who is Harry.
Speaker 1: Bobbing in the kitchen? Oh?
Speaker 3: I gotta get it right sometime. I'm gonna guess he's the ex husband.
Speaker 2: That is incorrect, Chris?
Speaker 4: Is he one of the members in the band?
Speaker 2: Incorrect? The same go to answers is amazing? Okay, a stab, I'll take a stab?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Charles Gray? Is it the criminal? Not the criminal?
Speaker 1: Correct? Harry is Janet's father? Oh? All right? Clearing the board. Who is Emily? Bob?
Speaker 2: And it's mother? And its mother?
Speaker 1: Is correct?
Speaker 4: The basic wits again?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Who is Neely again? A character? That is that her first name or last name? We don't know Neely? Bob.
Speaker 3: I think it's Pete.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is Pete. Yes, it's the ex husband.
Speaker 1: No, Bob, I think it is the ex wife. Chris.
Speaker 4: I mean it's gotta be somebody's ex wife, right, the ex child.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose you're technically correct, but this is not what I'm looking for. Neely is making the documentary. Oh got her camera crew with her the whole time.
Speaker 4: They mentioned it towards the end, right.
Speaker 1: Right at the beginning, she's yeah, that is her function in the movie, to be baking a documentary. All right? Number ten? Who is Ralph? Hapshat Bob? Yeah, can you give me a little more information? What? What? So? Uh? What is Ralph? What is Ralph? Uh? What is his role at the TV stage?
Speaker 3: That's a good question, like some sort of personality, because he shows up towards the beginning that correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he they say early on that he is supposed to be the host of the Faith Factory, but obviously things changed during the process. But yes, he's Yes, he's a personality on the on the on the on DTV network.
Speaker 4: Uh, bit of an ex personality.
Speaker 1: All right? Who is Macy Struthers Pete?
Speaker 7: I mean the ex wife, the reporter, who's after the who's with Charles Gray the most of the time?
Speaker 2: Incorrect? Oh damn, I just realized who it is?
Speaker 1: Never No, all right, you want to take a guest, Bob now, Bob shake Uh? Macy is Ralph's girlfriend.
Speaker 2: The literal opposite of what I said. He he is.
Speaker 1: She is who Ralph ran off with, and she is also at the She's also at d TV and she's going to be the co host of the Faith Factory. All right, just a couple more to go here. Let's see if we can get any more points on the board. Who is Betty Betty Monroe? Bob?
Speaker 3: Is that the person who's with the criminologist?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is Ralph?
Speaker 2: Every questions the ex wife or the XL.
Speaker 1: What is? Well, well, actually we'll we'll talk more about she's awesome. But she also works at d TV. All right, who is Judge Oliver Wright?
Speaker 4: Chris sociologist?
Speaker 1: He is a sociologist, yes, that is what they say, not a criminologist, except not a criminologist, which is why we don't know if he's the same person. Hockeyar played by absolutely great Charles Gray, the widest smile of the so great star of actually both so Charles Gray was in two James Bond movies. He was in You Only Live Twice as I six Agent, and then he was Blowfelt and Diamonds Are Forever. She also appears in Drag. It's a theme with people who work on these movies, but the gentleman who played Harry Manning Redwood also into James Bond movies. He was in Never Say Never Again with Sean Connery and he was Interview to a Kill with Roger Moore. But he is probably best known for being the park ranger in The Shining who is useless? Well, I hear your distress call. But yeah, there's a lot of snow.
Speaker 6: All right, defense of the questions about who this character is in the relationship to Rocky Horror.
Speaker 4: What is a criminologist if not associate?
Speaker 1: You have dual degrees or something? You know, that's exactly right, and it's clearly in Rocky Horror. He has a dossier on Jack Braddon Janet. That sort of information is going to come up later. All right, we have two more here. Who is Vance Parker, who's left to have an ex husband, Bob.
Speaker 3: This just came to my head. Is Vance Parker president?
Speaker 1: Who gives the Oh, oh he's not He's not. I'm sorry, that's that would be a good guess. Pete, is he the cop? He is? Parker is the cop and apparently one man security, right, Like.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm really only vaguely guessing it. What the jobs of any of these people are I can't follow. Yeah, what this town's structure is either.
Speaker 4: Needs no security or they need so much.
Speaker 2: Well, they got one guy who's like, go over there, and he's like okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. And finally, who is Kirk?
Speaker 6: Okay, let to make sure I wasn't. Yeah, he runs Kirk's Corner, which is the little donut and coffee place.
Speaker 1: That is correct, well done. All right, those are more or lesser characters. I've got a couple im putting in the back pocket. But uh, now that we so clearly are familiar with all of these characters, yeah, let's talk about the movie itself again. To the plot. So the movie opens a cold open with a narrow I know this film does not have continuous narration like Rocky Horror, but it does have an opening and closing narration. And so the film opens with a narrator who tells us that this is the story of a man whose entire life is what Pete fast.
Speaker 2: He likes his close fast, I don't always says that it's food fast that reminded me.
Speaker 7: I don't know why exactly of George Carlin's cold open of Bill and Ted's excellent adventure where he's like the air is clean, the water is clean, even the dirt is clean.
Speaker 2: It's like even his food was fast. That's right.
Speaker 1: The exact line is his life was fast, His friends were fast, even his food was fast. I don't know why. It's like an old cowboy as an as there's a story of a fan life was fast. However, so we that narration is over a shadowy figure who's overlooking a lot of TV screens. We don't really know who he is, but as we pan back, we see that his little control studio is behind the billboard advertising the town from Rocky Horror, which is Denton, and it's all done up in neon. For my next question, can you tell me what is the town motto of Denton as on the bill both in Rocky Horror and in this Chris the Home of Happiness. The Home of Happiness is correct. So the film is set, as we mentioned, entirely within DTV, the Denton Television Network. The film opens as the studio audience is admitted for the day. This is the most excited studio and it's ever been there. Just they just rush in, unmassed like they've been waiting. There is nothing to do. In Denton, but go to this TV station and then watch every watch every single show that they produce, and stay there over. We'll get to that too. But the film opens with this, in my opinion, really fantastic overture and this really great won er that starts at the top of the studio and then you follow the studio. I believe it's the cat. We didn't mention him because his name is Job, the floor manager. Just we just follow him as he opens up the studio. It's just fantastic amongst the crowd and seeming quite baffled our Brad. Janet. Janet seems pretty excited to be there, but Brad definitely seems fairly confused.
Speaker 4: His best John header as Napoleon Dynamite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so very interesting, so clipped the Young. I read an interview. So clifty Young plays both Brad and Farley Flavors in this uh and he said that he based Farley Flavors on Jack Nicholson, which I could totally see. And then he said he based his performance as Brad on David Eisenhower, a man I have just interviewed, how three months ago? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think I mentioned it the last time.
Speaker 1: It was on what did we just want and how did he do?
Speaker 2: Like having met the man in person, how close was.
Speaker 1: I didn't know a young David how so I can't say, Oh, I.
Speaker 7: Will say until the last minute, when it became clear that they were the same person, I had no idea, like the zero knowledge.
Speaker 1: That I think he does a great job making the two very distressed.
Speaker 4: Yes, I didn't read that until like a few.
Speaker 1: Mon it's really good and they do a great job, you know, changing his hair and his you know, his makeup. But it's really I think clifty young really is a great Porence. We'll talk at the end like but like, just know that I'm going to ask, like if we think Brad, Barry Bostwick and Suent Sarandon would have done this movie a service or a disservice. So, uh, bradon Janet come in and Brad seems very nervous. Uh what does Janet say to assure to reassure Brad.
Speaker 3: Bob, Well, I'll just guess like, oh, it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: No, you're close. I need something more specific for the.
Speaker 4: Exact phrase, like you're gonna love this or something like that.
Speaker 1: But no, that's not it Pete, is it like everybody else is here, like everyone in town is here. No that she does say something like that later, but what she says as they're coming in and he's he's protesting, and she goes, it's all right, Brad, Everything's going to be all right, which is what Brad says to Janet repeatedly. So it's our first Rocky Horror, all right. So the broadcast day begins and it opens with the community singing the opening number Denton, USA, which I'm going to go on the record is one of the greatest opening numbers of all time.
Speaker 2: The lyrics were great.
Speaker 1: So one thing I will say about this movie over Rocky Horror is that I think Jim Sharman's a little more confident as a director, and the musical numbers in particular, I think benefit from it. Rocky Heart does not have a lot of fast cuts. It's a lot of long takes. Jim in this movie too, loves an extreme close up. It's a lot of close ups, which actually I think in this particular number pays off in spades because he quit cuts to the music. I think, you know, he came from the stage, and I think the first you know, the Rocky Hart movie is kind of stagy and this feels more like a movie first Claus forrip because it is so according to the songs. And we're gonna do this one round robin style, right, so you can each take it turn. What are the things you will find in Denton? According to the song lyrics? All right, they name a whole bunch of things, quite a few. I've got a long list here, so we'll go around the table. We're gonna start with Pete. What's something you'll find Denton?
Speaker 7: I'm so AT's sea with this. Having just praised the lyrics, can I remember a single one? I don't know if this is even counts, but I did think it like amusing in a in a like this is what you're in for, is that you'll find all different races in this town.
Speaker 1: I will give it to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, tolerance, tolerance and other races. Is like, okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: At the point Repete, Bob, that's the one.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, Yeah, that hits the ear in a very twenty twenty five way right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's say you'll find lots of things to do.
Speaker 2: Bowling.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give it to I like, I remember, well, they don't say, but they do say a life of leisure. So I'm I will give you that, even if it's not. Neither of those were the exactly, but you're in the spirit of it for sure, Chris.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to remember how it sinks up with some of the choreography. Is there a bit about.
Speaker 6: How like there's like successful businesses, like your good job, good employment rates.
Speaker 1: Not enough, not close enough, but there is there's something about having a job.
Speaker 4: M everyone loves their job.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sorry, Pete, back to you.
Speaker 2: They have a dude who looks exactly like John Candy.
Speaker 1: He's in the audience.
Speaker 2: I swear to god, I thought it was John Cady. I was like, is John Candy in this movie? It's just a guy in the audience because.
Speaker 1: And next to him is Bono dressed as a cowboy. Are a popular opinion.
Speaker 7: Right, I'm sorry, I'm coming up blank on anything else intent.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I can hear the song in my head.
Speaker 3: But sunshine no.
Speaker 2: Such good things?
Speaker 1: Delicious food nope uh, Luxurious houses nope. Smile yes, smiling faces. Thanks which ry to ride with racey?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: They have leisure they must have treasure.
Speaker 1: Uh no, no, sorry, anything else today? Want us to have any other guesses or we're gonna we're gonna call this one. Well, so the life of to the life of leisure lines. If you're looking for a life of leisure, you're going to find something to please you. Oh okay, I don't think that's something you find in Denton. That would be. I can't give a point for that. You shouldn't. I was just fishing for so here they are in order. You'll find happy hearts and smiling faces, and tolerance for the ethnic races. You'll find a rambling rose and a picket fence, tenderness and innocence. Now to your to yours, Chris, there are conference rooms and children's playground, their civic pride and civic duty. And Denton girls who are full of also find the goody goody two shoes, your leaders a life of leisure. And then, of course I also would have accepted the refrain, which is you're the home of youth and America's truth.
Speaker 2: Wow, well, Chris, they have conference rooms and civic duty here, Skip Ranger.
Speaker 1: Could Kip Brichard have been right at home in Denton?
Speaker 4: How many big colors of labels for your folders.
Speaker 2: He looks like they got plenty.
Speaker 1: All right, So we end the song and we're on one of the shows. We have Betty Hapshat and Judge Oliver Wright, who is introduced as Denton's leading social scientist, meaning there are others, and they debate the usefulness of having a town anthem, and Oliver seems to find something sinister about the time a town anthem, saying that there's more than one way that the spider can catch the fly. So a little bit of a cynical world. You hear from Judge Oliver. What is the name of the show that Betty and Oliver host?
Speaker 2: Oh, Pete, Betty and Oliver's host Talk of the Town.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: It's not faith.
Speaker 1: It's not faith art, but it is another alliterative name. But it's not Talk of the Town. M all right. They oh, go ahead, Bob town Talk. No, I'm sorry, Uh, it's indeed. They host Denton Dossier, Denton Dossier, another reason Skip Ranger should move here?
Speaker 4: Dossier, Yeah, Brad and Janet, all right.
Speaker 2: Is like the island for Mission River Project.
Speaker 1: So Dent Dossier cuts to a commercial for for for the town's other business outside of the TV studio and the commercial we learn about the five f's. What are the five apps?
Speaker 4: Chris Farley flavors fabulous fast food.
Speaker 1: You got us? So Mackey is in the commercial instructing children about the five f's. For today, Farley flavors fabulous fast food to feed and fortify your family.
Speaker 2: I thought that would be a bonus question, like how many can you say that? They said in that one sentence.
Speaker 6: This is maybe the only bit of actual trivia. I know that's related to this film, but if I recall correctly, there are five f's of actual shock treatment, Oh, Fitela something something, and then friends is the fifth one. And so as I was watching this, I thought that was a direct sort.
Speaker 1: Of I'm sure, I'm sure embarrassing.
Speaker 3: I did notice that the I don't know if this is intentional or not, but the way they have the f's on the floor, it really kind of looks like a swamp.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely, yeah, absolutely attention even how fascist this whole town is, right right?
Speaker 1: All right? So it's at this point that we learned the sad news Rocky Horror fans that Betty and Ralph Hapshat have split up. We saw their wedding in the first scene of Rocky Horror, but they have split up. She is separated from Ralph, and it seems that maybe there's a little romance brewing between Betty and Judge Oliver. Uh. They go to grab a coffee. It's been mentioned, but what is the name of the coffee cut cart?
Speaker 6: Chris, I think I said this already, but I'll take deple points It's Kirk's Corner.
Speaker 1: Uh, both with ks that the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that now you're all saying this. This is becoming more and more fascist as I as we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh. We're now introduced to the game show Marriage Maze, hosted by the kooky and supposedly blind Bert Schneck of unknown Eastern European accent. Sometimes and Bert comes out. And what catchphrase does Bert use to address the crowd? It recurs throughout the film. Keep Barry, I buzzed by accident.
Speaker 2: I swiped my thing. But the catch phrase is, uh, it's Dame Edna. No, I have no idea, I don't remember Scotch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he does say it.
Speaker 1: Now he goes hooplahla, Bert's lah. All right. So Bert selects Brad and Janet to appear on marriage Maze, and almost immediately they don't. They don't even play the game really, he just he just begins analyzing Brad and he deems Brad an emotional cripple, and he says that Brad should be sent to Denton Vale, which we'll say is a reality show about a mental hospital.
Speaker 2: I guess it is.
Speaker 1: Really another show on uh DTV, but it also seems to be, despite being in the TV studo, an actual mental hospital. Uh And he will be seen by the siblings Cosmo and NationAn McKinley for treatment.
Speaker 2: Can I say one thing about about Brad and Janet getting on the show?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 7: Again, one of my favorite things is Brad and Janet get on the show and immediately two old ladies behind them steal their seats, like just like come down, Like yep, those are better seats, we've taken them.
Speaker 2: I was like, what just happened?
Speaker 1: Like it's like the fillers at the oscars. You can't show it.
Speaker 4: Disappeared from the smatching this if I may.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my initial take was like, wow, they've decided the scriptwriters have decided they really hate Brad.
Speaker 1: Do does not have an easy time in the wh and so brad Janet basically more or less says, you know you're going on, You're going into Denton Vale, whether you like it or not, and they reflect on the state of their marriage and our next song, Bitching in the Kitchen. They are inspired by the various sponsored products that are prizes on the show, which they see on the monitors before them. So again we'll do round robin. What are the products that they sing about? All right, Pete, uh, bitch in the kitchen and toaster is one of them. I'm trying to think what the toast line is. It was a really good line this song. I did enjoy lyrically. Oh toaster, don't you put the burn on me?
Speaker 2: Don't you put the burn on me?
Speaker 3: Bob refrigerator?
Speaker 2: Refrigerator.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: I was watching for product placement as I was watching this, so I want to swings here. Sharman makes an appearance in the back. They don't sing about it though, right they don't. That's okay, Pete, back to you.
Speaker 2: I think coffee maker gets a lyric.
Speaker 1: Yes, percolatorator, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the rhyme with knife?
Speaker 1: Why are always sooner or later?
Speaker 2: Sooner or later?
Speaker 1: Knife?
Speaker 2: Drawer?
Speaker 1: Yes, knife, won't you help me to enjoy life more?
Speaker 2: Very good?
Speaker 4: Chris, dishwasher?
Speaker 1: No, dishwasher? Sorry, I might be out here.
Speaker 2: Knife, it was good again. I'm just trying to go with rhymes. But oven, I don't I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Oh no, Oven, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Blender.
Speaker 1: Blender is help a first offender. There are one, two, three, four, five more?
Speaker 4: Wow things that you find in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: Let's say they're mop.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sad.
Speaker 2: I think when we had the mission projected game show you got mop wrong. To mop is just not one to go with.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think the the e R sound has got to be like a good vibe. Is there a a deep fryer?
Speaker 1: No, I'm sorry, no, deeper bob toothpaste. Toothpaste is correct.
Speaker 3: Usually something found in the kitchen, don't you put Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was like, I think they leave the kitchen. Yes, I would say the one, uh.
Speaker 1: The last three that Janets sing about are all bathroom products.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 1: There's one more kitchen and one that could be anywhere, and then two in the in the bathroom.
Speaker 4: All right. Toilet paper?
Speaker 1: No, I'm sorry, I wouldn't give you Sharman if you had, but no, this.
Speaker 2: Doesn't fit any of your category. Is the only thing I can think of though, That was alarm clock, but.
Speaker 1: That is correct, but she calls it a micro digital awakerraditional awakener.
Speaker 3: I think I'm out at this point, but I'm going to guess a Oh god, I just had one was like, oh a hair dryer.
Speaker 1: No, no hair dryer. One last guest, Chris, Yeah, why not?
Speaker 4: Let's go with plunger.
Speaker 1: No, no plunger, Pete last gas a television like a TV. No TV is not on there she got was on? So the ones you missed. Brad sings O trash can, Janet sings shower curtain, won't you help me? Certain? And then the last one, which is absolutely ridiculous to another, like weird description of what is a shaver? But she calls it a deep pillowater. That's a great, great song, Great job, everybody. That is my understanding to be one of the real fan favorite songs. All right, So we move on to Denton Vale where Cosmo and Nation interview Brad and Janet. Brad tries to protest that he's fine, but what happens to cause him to pass out? Chris?
Speaker 8: He gets an injection in the back of that ricky with zero reaction to being stabbed with it, and he passes right out, and she's like, what happened to him?
Speaker 1: Janet is concerned for Brad's well being and she agrees to have him committed to Cosmo's care. Cosmo needs Janet to sign a contract, but Nurse Anselong whispers for her to put it off until tomorrow. The McKinley seem particularly interested to know Brad's family history, if he has any blood relatives, but Janet reveals that Brad isn't orphan h Janet asks the nurse, why did you tell me not to sign the contract? Why does Nurse Anselong tell Janet to wait and sign the contract tomorrow?
Speaker 4: I'm confusing something else. I'm gonna it's different. I'll take you. You want to make sure that the treatments, you know what you signed up for.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's a little more. It's a little more basic than that.
Speaker 3: Even yeah, I remember this and I remember it being something stupid, but they don't.
Speaker 2: How did you get your first night for free? Can I ask? Did Ashley Banks?
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, this's been something Mission rejected statements for me, but look at Ashley Banks base her character on this person.
Speaker 1: From his office high above the studio, Farley Flavors watches Janet's parents, Harry and Emily, on the marriage Mads quick Quiz. They remark once again that Brad was adopted and they know nothing of his parentage. To win a guest spot on Happy Homes, Emily guesses Brad has what condition.
Speaker 3: Bob infantile regression?
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 1: It now becomes clear that Cosmon, Nation and Bert are all in cohoots with Farley Flavor, who has just become the sole sponsor of Denton Vale, and I venture to guess every other show on the network. Farley will endorse Cosmo's research in return for him committing Brad and endorsing the new Faith Factory show on Denton Vale. When Cosmo questions why Farley would take advantage of his weakness, Nation quips, well, I don't think he intends to go that far, which is a complete non sequitor joke, and it cracks me up every time. It just feels like that's they're trying to do Rocky Hard, Yeah, exactly. Janet goes to visit Brad, who's now locked in a cage on the Sanitarium set. She sings in My Own Way, bemoaning that if Brad can't get it together, their marriage is over, though she hopes that it won't be the case, but no matter what, she will still always love him in her own way. Janet visits with her parents, who are now living on the set of Happy Home. Emily presents Janet with a hot pink Asian inspired dress. How does Emily describe the dress that she has made for Janet? Pete? I was gonna say, Is it something she wore when she was younger? No, she says, it's the far East meets the Midwest. Harry arrives and he's very surly. He is very upset about Brad's current state, and he calls him a weirdo. Harry insays he's never had a nervous breakdown.
Speaker 2: Why, Pete, because he's a real man.
Speaker 1: No, not, it's not yet, okay, Chris.
Speaker 4: Because he has a little indoor minigulf side.
Speaker 1: Bobb. You want to take a guess. No, he's never. He could never afford the time to have a nervous breakthrough. Now, Harry is very disturbed to learn some gossip about his friend. Harry slips streamy son Danny. Danny has moved to New York and he was found where how and with whom, Bob, I.
Speaker 3: Don't remember where, but it was he was found with like ten like naked Mexicans.
Speaker 1: He was found in the bakery with fifteen other men naked Mexican, which Emily says, you shouldn't have said that doesn't like Mexican.
Speaker 2: So this like the fact that they say that they love all the races exactly.
Speaker 1: So Harry is enraged and he heads outs side to his AstroTurf graft which he's going to mow with his mower, and he sings thank God I'm a man, whipping the studio audience into a patriotic frenzy. According to the song, what should men know the right occasions for? Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know the answer to this, because this was around the time that I was watching this on YouTube and the I had the subtitles on.
Speaker 1: It and they were way wrong.
Speaker 3: And I have to turn this off because I can't.
Speaker 2: Possibly because it didn't want to translate it.
Speaker 3: This I was like going back and forth and like not really realizing what people were saying.
Speaker 6: For a lot of this I didn't have the subtitles on either definitely, as the scores are reflecting affected me, especially during the.
Speaker 1: Song Yeah, m.
Speaker 2: I don't think a wild guest die.
Speaker 1: No, no, he says, you should know the right occasions to indulge in tax evasions, right, I just think a great.
Speaker 2: Lyric that's actually a great line.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is a very upsetting song. It's all about bigotry and oxy of maxalinity. And remember this is nineteen eighty one. I think there's a lot in this movie that was way ahead of its time, and it's sad and you know, and much that it's sadly still relevant, right right, right, yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's this is.
Speaker 1: All right. So now we're back to Judge Oliver and Betty. They're in their office. They're they're very very red office. Uh.
Speaker 2: And I swear I thought it was a diner when it's starting.
Speaker 1: It's very Yes, it's a very it's a very strange little set that they have built in the corner of the studio there. Uh. And Oliver suggests that there's a conspiracy going on. It's some sorry, so Betty is reluctant to believe it at first. Oliver is very wary about this new show called Faith Factory, which is being sponsored by a Nation's Indigestion. Uh, what example does Oliver give to support the fact that there's a conspiracy happening at the TV studio? Gets a very specific example, Pete.
Speaker 7: Is this the part where he's like, the mckinleys are on a show and they are related?
Speaker 1: No, not yet, Sorry, I'm really jumping for that one. And he guesses, guys, all right, he says that Lieutenant Orpheus disappeared into the Underworld series and never came back. Just then, Ralph and Macy arrive and they deliver some bad news. Denton Dossier is canceled. Bert goes to have dinner with the mckinleys, served by Ricky and Nurse Anselong and Cosmo bomone that their fancy dinners will soon be fast food only with Farley in charge. But Nation is thrilled to learn that Farley wants Denton Veale to focus on mental hygiene their field. Bert reveals that with Brad locked up in Denton Veil, then Janet will be free to become the face of Faith Factory. Everybody loves the girl next door. Janet joins them for dinner as presented with a VHS message from Farley which plays on the television as he sings Farley's song. Now is it very broad? Not a lyriphms wrong? But what do we learn through this scene and song is Farley's plan? It's you know, it's and it's reinforced throughout the movie. So if you just can generally tell me what Bob.
Speaker 3: Well, actually I remember him saying at some point he's gonna take over the world somehow, or he's gonna like he's going to reach the whole world.
Speaker 1: Yes, but what but what is this specific mechanic that he's going to use to do that?
Speaker 3: Well, he's gonna be an ace.
Speaker 2: A He's not a king, He's an ace.
Speaker 1: Yes, Chris, I'm.
Speaker 6: Gonna say he's intentionally sort of like cultivating these new like stars for television. He's gonna get everybody to pattention to watch them and like follow.
Speaker 1: The You're very close. Can you tie it in with something else?
Speaker 4: Yes? Mental hygiene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm gonna give you a point. So he's gonna make he's going to package mental health like fast food and make Janet the spokes woman. Right. Uh So, Janet says she's flattered, but she wants to see Brad. And mckinleys tell her that Brad hates her, but they convince her the more popular she becomes, the more desirable she'll become to Brad, all right, and that will break him from his depression. Meanwhile, poor Brad now caged and straight jacket. It is for sped medicine by noon, nurse Antelo. So they're just keeping Brad in this nearly comatosed state. As Oliver and Betty decide they're going to investigate the goings on at DTV, Janet is told she cannot go home, and she's given a room on the Denton Vale set. Oliver and Betty decide they will also spend the night in the studio. Where do they hide for the evening? Chris?
Speaker 6: They hide out like it's like in like the I want to say, like upper floors, like in the like the rafters.
Speaker 1: Of the the catwalk, the catwalk. That's correct, going off a tossed off quote that Oliver says, what does Betty read out loud to pass the time? Chris, again, it's.
Speaker 4: A misattributed rhyme with the ancient.
Speaker 1: Mariner two points beys, yes it is and she incorrectly credits it to Coleridge Taylor, who's a composer, instead of Samuel Taylor. Coleridge and I honestly don't know if that's Betty making the mistake or original bro. I think bet I'm not sure. I'm Oliver quotes from koob La Khan, which is another one.
Speaker 7: Right, but it does definitely. I think Charles greg gives a look at her when she says it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think again, I think Charles Gray knows it's wrong.
Speaker 4: I paused the movie at that moment. I was like, that's not that I was.
Speaker 2: I did this.
Speaker 1: I was like, wait, but those are the that's those are right words, but they're not in the right order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want to know.
Speaker 7: The most hilarious thing is so my daughter is in wind ensemble and they just played a Coleridge Taylor song and I looked at I was like, wait, Samuel, it was Samuel.
Speaker 2: His name is Samuel Coleridge Taylor. I was like, Samuel Taylor Coleridge wrote this, No, Samuel Taylor. I was so confused at the concert. Then I heard this.
Speaker 1: I was like, ah, I know that guy, all right. So now it seems that an nearly everybody lives at the studio and on the vail set, McKinley's share a room, Ricky and Nurse Anselong have a room. Bird's given his own room, and Janet has given her own room, and everybody sings one of my favorite songs. In the piece Lullaby, it's revealed that Ricky and Anselong seem to be in a romantic relationship, as our supposed sibling from a nation who are like have writing crops ready to go. I love this song, but a lot of strange things happened hearing this song. Here's my next question. What is Ricky doing before bed? Chris?
Speaker 4: Is he like sweeping the floors outside in the hallway?
Speaker 1: No, Bob repeat, No, he's taking polaroids of Nurse Anselon. All right, this will be a recurring theme later on in polaroids. What does Bert do all night? Uh? Oh? Everybody buzzed in, But Chris was first by a hand, sits on.
Speaker 4: His bed, staring into space, and I use the word blood.
Speaker 1: I think it's great again. I think this first of all, I think it's a lovely song. I think it's got great lyrics. But for those who haven't seen the movie. The whole thing is done in a one tracking shot, uh, looking at the exterior of these windows, and it just pans on the on the track, back and forth between each of the windows, and every time it passes Burt, he's just sitting on his bed looking out the window. This this blind man. He never goes to sleep, he just sits there. It's very weird, and the entire studio audience stays and also goes to seat on each other, sort of like I assume it took me many viewings to come to this conclusion, but I assume this is not a ray. They're staying because tomorrow is the Faith Factory Day, and it's like this big Nobody wants to miss it. Nobody wants to lose their seat, so they're camping out for the night.
Speaker 2: I have a head canon and completely disagree, but I'll see. Okay.
Speaker 1: Then, so as everyone falls asleep, the day ends, and so does our first round. Bob, you want to give us our score tallies here at the end of the first round.
Speaker 2: I do. It's very close.
Speaker 3: Chris is in the lead with thirteen points, followed by me with eleven points. Pete, you're coming up next with nine points. Michael has a lot of points too.
Speaker 2: That's all the ones we didn't get right at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty close game here, All right, let's see how we do in act too.
Speaker 2: Well, there's two more rounds of that.
Speaker 1: So if any of that pete your interest, search for what did we just watch on Spotify, Apple Music or wherever you get your podcasts. It's a fantastic show. We have a lot of fun anytime we're on there, And as I mentioned at the top of the show, a lot of mission rejected folks have already guested. So you could hear me, Chill and Bob talk about the great Jim Henson film Labyrinth. You could hear John and Faith Dalgn discuss the nineteen eighties camp action thriller beast Master. I was also on to discuss the Mystery Science Theater three thousand level classic Mac and Me alongside Bob, The Klineks discussed the Tom Hanks dog vehicle Turner and Hooch, and later on this summer, I'm going to be taking over as host once again. I'm doing the all time classic Superman for the Quest for Peace. So if you want to hear that, be sure that you subscribe to What Did we just Watch. You can also follow them on Instagram on what did We just Watch? Pod? All underscores between that it's a great time. We always have a lot of fun whenever we're a part of it, and we enjoy listening to it too. Anyway, thanks for tuning in. Will be back soon. We're gonna have all sorts of fun things to fill in the hiatus between seasons. I can't say anything about it yet, but there's some really fun stuff coming, so stay tuned.
Speaker 4: Another quality podcast from the porch Room.