Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven, nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show, idiot, the kids are playing or turnl off.
Speaker 2: Countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now? Here's Nick Coffee? I'm not even sure I need to ask today. I think I already know the answer to the question. You guys ready to do this on a Friday? I assume the answer is yes. If not, just don't say anything. Let me do the talking here. I'm here for the next three hours to do exactly that. It's Coffee and Company with myself, Nick Coffee, the company man, mister John Alden is alongside today and we are fueled by Thornton's and this is Sports Talk seven. You take us with you wherever you go. Listen live at seven. Actually I would encourage you to listen live on the iHeart Radio app, but you can also use the old fashioned internet. I mean, if you're using your device. Then you wouldn't go to the website, you would just fire up the app. I would assume. I guess you can do it whatever way you want. Most people, when it comes to using the Internet, I mean ninety percent of usage is on a device now, not like an actual laptop or a you know, a standard desktop computer. But just know that if you've got a tablet, a phone, a computer, even just a TV, you can listen live because the Ihet Radio app also exists within the Roku app. I mean smart TVs they've got app stores, right, and you can download the iHeart Radio app listen that way. So a lot of ways for you guys to tune in today, and I hope you guys do exactly that. As I mentioned, we take you up until six o'clock. I mean, I'm fired up for this weekend and I hate I feel like such a maybe hypocrites not the right word, John, But for months I was talking about how I couldn't wait for football season to get here, and it's here, but like, I'm looking forward to not having a Louisville game. And I know that sounds bad, because you know, I would love for Louisville to be in a matchup against a really good team where you get a chance to kind of see where they stand right see where they are against real competition. But you know what, I can't control the schedule. We've known that this was going to be an open date for a while now, and I'm just I'm excited to know that I don't have to worry about doing a postgame show and I can, you know, just watch all kinds of different games. I don't have to focus in on just one in particular.
Speaker 1: But they're going to take in some Hoosiers and Bruins tomorrow. Night's what you're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, I mean of the nightcap, I mean, that might be one of the better. I mean, it just sounds weird saying a game that includes Indiana football could be viewed as one of the bigger games of the weekend. But I mean it is a weird conference matchup for these two teams, right, Indiana and UCLA being in the same league as just they've never played each other, which is interesting. Yeah, I mean, and that that doesn't really surprise me because again, like why would they right, I mean, when would they have maybe in a bowl game, like maybe the random non conference series. But when you're that far away, it's not as if, hey, we should play each other, because there's a lot of logistics, a lot of travel, you know, that would go into it. But looking at tomorrow night's games, I mean in the nightcap, I mean Indiana Ucla. We're not talking about ranked teams here, but it will give you a chance to kind of see where I guess both stand. But the competition for the evening games, I mean, you've got let's see here. I mean, there's not a whole lot out there. I mean Maryland Virginia that that's that's good.
Speaker 1: It's on ACC network.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a snooze fest. I mean, I don't think anybody cares about that. Tennessee looks really good, but they're playing kent State. I mean, Nebraska's got Northern Iowa, Kentucky, Georgia. That's a night game, and Georgia being the number one team in the country. That'll obviously give them a lot of you know, the people that want to watch them because they look insanely good. Kentucky obviously locally there'll be people that want to watch that. I don't know, though maybe their fans will, uh, you know, we'll U we'll, we'll, we'll, we'll turn it off. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Or Colorado Colorado State. That's a night game.
Speaker 2: Is that a night game? Okay, that's that's the one for me. Then for some reason, I was thinking that was a little bit earlier in the day, But now that's that's the game that I'll Here's what I'll probably be doing. I'll probably be going back and forth between those three. In fact, maybe I and depending on where I'm at. I don't know where I'm gonna be tomorrow night, but like, if I'm out somewhere, then they'll probably have all three on. But if I'm at home, I'm gonna be going back and forth between Kentucky Georgia, but I probably won't be spending a whole lot of time there because I would imagine that's gonna be a real blood bath. And then U C LA Indiana will be the game that I'm keeping up with, not gonna wager on it, but just you know, interested to see what happens here. So it's a nice early test for uh for for for Signetti, and then the other game that I'm probably gonna have on more than especially like if it's a Colorado State, Like, if Kentucky's getting hammered, this might tell you really the level of hate I have for Colorado. John If Kentucky's getting hammered by Georgia, that's gonna be great for me to watch as a Louisville fan. And usually you want to stick around, you want to keep watching, right because you're enjoying seeing your Yeah, you want to see a blood bath, you want to see your rival get pummeled. But I think if if Colorado at the same time is getting rolled by Colorado State, I actually think I will be way more into watching Colorado get beat down than watching Kentucky, because, look, the rivalry factor is there. But man, I hate Colorado, and I it's weird for me to say it, because you know, it's not something that I'm proud of. But I'm at least going to be transparent. I'm a full blown hater. I think they're easy to hate. They make it very easy. I know I'm not alone, but man, what I'm most excited about this weekend is hopefully seeing Colorado once again get beat down. I was gonna say get humbled, that's not possible that I don't think it's possible. For Dion and his crew to get humbled because they have been served humble pie for quite literally a calendar year now and no humility. No, I mean, they're arrogant for no reason and it's pretty consistent. So anyways, I'm looking forward to this weekend of college football. In fact, we had a wild night of college football last night that I'm not sure anybody really cared about. If you watched Texas State in Arizona State, then you watched a good game. I'm not going to call it a bad beat. I'm gonna call it me trusting a quarterback who I put too much faith in. There's a reason that Signette did not bring Jordan McCleod with him to the Big Ten because he knows he's turnover prone in the fourth quarter. Here's what you can't do in a close game against a power four team when you're Texas State. Give the ball to the other team when it's tied late. They did it three times, three consecutive turnovers in the fourth quarter for Texas State, when they had the whole momentum on their side. That arena, not arena, that stadium I should say was rocking. They had a big touchdown score to put them up seven, and it felt like they were going to be in a good spot. And then of course they give up a quick touchdown and then on offense, just interception, fumble, interception, Just terrible. And I'll give Dillingham credit, the head coach of Arizona State. No clue how good they're going to be overall this year, but they were terrible last year. They were three and nine. They're already three and oh this year. And they were dogs in that game for a good you know, and when it kicked off and they ended up winning. So I'm bummed about that because I trusted the Bills money line and that came through in a major way. I mean, and we'll get to two in just a second, because that's just a I mean, it's a very rare situation that hopefully it's a rarity when we look back on it many many years from now. But you know, let's be real. Football is a violent sport. If dudes just keep getting concussed consistently, their careers may be done by the time they're twenty five, twenty six. I mean, it's I love football like anybody else, and it's not going anywhere. We're going to continue to play the sport and love it. But there have been enough stories out there, situations from guys who played the game a long time that like, if you get a bunch of concussions, you shouldn't play. I'm not sure if we're there with Tua. And it is one of the most talked about things right now in sports, maybe the most talked about thing in sports is what should Tua do should he retire? And I mean, I choose to believe the majority of those that are discussing it are doing it in a compassionate way, but none of us have a clue what like realistically he should or should not do. And I'm not even really again, I'm not even really sure doctors do. I mean, they would be much more able to determine what the most you know, logical thing to do from here on out for Tua is. But I mean, is it crazy for me to say that at some point, at some level, this is still kind of trial and error, right Like he could be a case study if he wants to keep playing and they clear him and then you find out twenty years the guy, you know, he's not all there upstairs like you know, and nobody wants to be that case study, right, I mean that would be terrible. So really a sad situation overall. But anyways, back to the college football side of things, Texas State Arizona State gave us a great game. Did you see the finish of that? John? What happened?
Speaker 1: I saw the I think there was a fumble on their own side of the field. Correct, that gave back to Arizona State.
Speaker 2: No, wasn't a fumble. They were trying to end the game, and uh it didn't work out that way. They took a knee I guess, assuming that the clock went end, but his knee hit the ground on fourth down with a second left on the clock. So somehow they Texas State got out there with a chance down three to put together one play with a second on the clock to potentially win the game. And it didn't and nothing happened. But afterwards Kenny Kenny Dillingham very very upset, in fact, disgusted with the way the refs. I mean, I don't really know what again, I don't really know what is what his gripe is. I think if in fact you look at the replay, I don't mean, what do I know? But I feel like Texas State probably was entitled to that one play, and you know, but he'd already come out on the field into his interview. The kad coach of Everson was they did. They'd already thrown into it to SVP for Sports Center, and then they came back to the game because every by they let him have one more play. Yeah, you and I are finally speaking, because after a while they put a second back on the clock and ran another play. Could you explain to us what the referee told you there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm only out here right now, is right. Don't get fined.
Speaker 2: That's all I gotta say, because that was ridiculous. Fair enough given how they do and some of the games they have. Here's them taking a knee definitely Winna them down twenty one to seven.
Speaker 3: At one point, Arizona State comes on the road behind their young quarterback Sam Levitt.
Speaker 2: This is the This is the initial This is the initial interview. The one you heard at the beginning was him after the fact. But this is after the game, so he thought, and he's realizing they're going to put another second on while he's talking to Harry Lyles on the sideline.
Speaker 4: After review, it was determined there was one second on the clock when.
Speaker 3: The player's nave was down, the ball will replaced it the thirty yard.
Speaker 2: Wide, which he was the correct call.
Speaker 1: First up, Texas State has a chance, quick throw.
Speaker 2: Tossed it around a little bit here. Now that's going to turn into Arena League football and all of that. For that there we go, so Arizona State. So I like Dillingham because he's so young. He's the youngest head coach in college football at the power level and so far again, this is a big bounce back season for him. We'll see what happens when they get into like competition in the Big twelve. But you know, three and oh, they won three games last year, so they're off to a much better start. And I love the fact that he realizes how lucky he is to be thirty three, thirty four years old, whatever it is, and be a head coach at Arizona State. That he if you remember, this didn't get national attention because it's Arizona State football. Nobody cares. But I remember it because it stood out to me. There's all these coaches complaining about how the job is so much more difficult now than it used to be. And how they're so. I mean, listen to Mark Stubs complaining about having to do his job the job chain, right, that's life. I bet a lot of us have had jobs maybe the job we have now to work throughout your time as an employee of that employer, the role changes, you got to adapt. That's life. That's that's a lot of a lot of people have to do that. And he was pretty outspoken. Dillingham was and saying that, hey, like I'm fortunate to be able to do this. I'm not gonna You're not gonna hear me complaining about it, Like I think it's I think this is it's a dream job. We should all be fortunate. And I just thought that stood out to me and I remembered that. So I kind of liked this young guy Dillingham, but last night, like he started to actually to me act like the coaches that I that you know, are hard to stomach at times because they treat us all like we're idiots, like you can claim that was ridiculous. I'm only out here, so I don't get fine, dude, did you watch the play? Yeah, the knee was down with a second on the clock. That's the rule, Like you're not a victim here, like that's what happened and you still won, so kind of rubbed me the wrong way. But either way, maybe I'm just bitter because I lost. I had a two leg parlay last night. Bill's money line, no sweat there at all. And then of course I trust Texas State to get it done and they couldn't do it. And look, that's part of it, right, You win some, you lose some, And it's the first beat for me to where I trusted a team in a major way and they should have won. They just shot themselves on the foot. And again, be so thankful, John, be so thankful that Jordan McCloud is not with Signetty, because I mean fourth quarter turnovers, Canon, I mean fourth quarter turnovers in a tie game, when you got the crowd on your side, they're singing deep in the hot of Texas. I mean they're going crazy down there in San Marcos. Dick whacker Field was electric and Jordan McCleod not big enough for the moment, not big enough of the moment at all. So anyways, yes, I'm bitter, very bitter. All Right, we're gonna take our first break coming up here in just a couple of minutes a little bit earlier than we usually do because we're gonna bring in Zach Barnett, a football scoop. We'll talk with him in regards to this weekend's matchups in college football. We talked to him each and every week, and scheduling wise, we had to do it a little earlier than we usually do, so we'll bring him on around three to two get his thoughts on this weekend's matchups. Also a lot more to get into throughout the show, we are going to have another giveaway for the Brooks and Doune tickets. We've got another pair of tickets to give away. In fact, I may I may end up having two to give away today. I'm trying to get confirmation on that. As soon as I do have confirmation, I'll be sure to let you know. I don't think the two of conversation is it's not a fun thing to discuss, right and we like to have fun on Fridays. But I'd say it is maybe the biggest, the biggest story in sports right now, and it's it's rare. I mean, it's I can't think of any any similar situation where a guy has quhen healthy been a really good player. I mean, I think the investment that the Dolphins made in him was a wise investment, given the fact that not everybody has a great quarterback, and when healthy, he was pretty good. I'm not saying he's the best, but every team would love to have a really, really good quarterback. There's not as many great quarterbacks out there as there are NFL teams. So when you have one that you know may not be the best, but he's certainly in that tier that is above you know, average and above the majority of the guys in the league at that position, you got to invest in him. And they did that. And now, of course you know, he may never play again, And that sounds like such an exagger like that's way we're and yes, it is getting way ahead of ourselves to say he may ever play again. But given what we know and what we saw last night, if he didn't play again, it really shouldn't shock a lot of people. And therefore I don't think it's as crazy to say that as it might sound. So anyways, real quick, before we get to our first break again a little earlier than usual, I mentioned a wild night in college football last night. It wasn't just because of what happened in that Texas State Arizona State game. Did you see the South Alabama score? Didn't they break a record of some offense or something like that. Eighty seven to ten was the score. It was the most points in an FBS game since nineteen ninety one. Yeah, so they blasted Northwestern State eighty seven to ten, as they scored the most points since nineteen ninety one. The last time that happened was when Fresno State beat New Mexico ninety four to seventeen. And it's you know, not a big surprise here that this is a South Alabama record and a Sun Belt record for a team to score eighty seven points. I haven't seen the exact right up as far as what happened at the end of the game, but I don't even think they played a full game like I think towards the end they had a shorter they had a shorter clock for the fourth quarter. I could be wrong there. Maybe that was just somebody, you know, saying that's what they should do, But it wouldn't shock me if they did. I mean again, eighty seven to ten, and I had no clue that major Applewhite was the South Alabama head coach. Former South Alabama head coach. What's his name? He followed Kaylen n Borck? Yeah, Womac. He followed Kaylen Daboor to Bama, didn't he did? Yeah, left a head coaching job to go be an OC for is he DC? Okay? Yeah? Well maybe he was holding that offense back last year because they scored eighty seven points last night. I would have I would, I would. I would assume that that's more so to do with the opponent, Northwestern State, which why do I feel like Northwest?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What is are they known? I know it's not, but it reminds me of the school in the waterboy, although I think that's south like Southwest Louisiana State. But anyways, they got their ass kick last night. Notable alumni at Northwestern State at Orgeron Coacho, how about that a shame? All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side again. We're gonna bring him in. He' Zack Barnett FootballScoop dot Com. Keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's right Coffee and company rolling along on a Friday afternoon here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us. Also thanks to the one the only mister Zach Barnett, who joins us now here to talk from college football. He of course covers college football for FootballScoop dot com. Zach, I'm gonna start with maybe the most important question I've ever asked you and has nothing to do with the football. We've been giving away Brooks and Done tickets all week on this show. We're gonna do it again later today. What is the best Brooks and Done song ever?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 2: Ooh, that's a good one. That's a good one. I mean I would have never assumed that would be your guest, but like, that's a great song. I mean, I'm a little biased because I love Brooks and Done, and I don't mean, in fact, I don't know how anybody couldn't love Brooks and Done. But when it comes to like we were looking at the opening act. They got David Lee Murphy dust on the bottle party crowd. He's opening up when they come to Louisville in April, But like, give him a few songs, because Brooks and Dun could be out there for three or four hours and never run out of hits. I feel like.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, there was a summer in my youth where I got I grew up with basically listening to to rock and hip hop as as we all did. Sure, there was a summer when I got really into country music and it ain't nothing about you.
Speaker 2: Was that don't do something for me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that's a great song.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could just speak Brooks and Done lyrics and you'd be sharing wisdom to the younger generation. Right. They may not like the sound because they're you know, they're younger, they're listening to probably mumble rap, but there's a lot of wisdom, a lot of good stuff within the Brooks and Done cat logging. I'm happy that you and I are at an age where we got to experience that a little bit. So shout out to U. What brooks and Done.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna pick up my two kids from middle school here in about an hour and a half and I'm gonna have some Brooks and Done playing and.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, hell yeah, let me know, because I mean that that's some wholesome fatherhood stuff right there.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: That's uh, that's good stuff. All right, Speaking of good stuff, what's the what's the game you are most interested in watching this week? In Week three of college football, there's a handful of good games I'm interested in, But is there one that stands out to you that you're really anxious to see the result.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and neither one has really anything to do with the National Championship chase. But Texas A and M at Florida and Memphis at Florida State. Starting with the last one first, I mean, Florida State, there's no telling how bad it can get if this team starts zero to three, And I mean, I don't think so. But I can't sit here and say that Florida State's better than Memphis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's it's a legit point.
Speaker 3: We're going to find out where the bottom is on Florida State, and Memphis is going to see Florida State's best game, and there's no telling what that is. Maybe they go out there and win by twenty. Memphis is a we think is a really solid team. They haven't played anybody yet. Florida State may play it's best game and beaten by three touchdowns. Florida State may play its best game and lose by seven points. And I mean they're there. I don't think the average fan has an appreach well, let me let me am in that statement, I don't think the fans outside of college football have an appreciation for how much a freak out I know one three start can lead to in this sport, because suddenly the mind goes to well, Florida State has already lost a number of their high school commits, but how many people are are are poaching our best players right now? What's the portal going to be like?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: In this in Florida State fans mind, the only only things standing between the programs somewhat staying on track and complete oblivion is beating Memphis on Saturday, and so I can't wait to see the result of that game.
Speaker 2: Who needs it more? The Gators or the Aggies In the other.
Speaker 3: Game you mentioned the Gators, I mean, the Aggies haven't won a road game since twenty twenty one, but they're still in the the Mike Elko honeymoon phase so much that such a thing exists anymore. But again, Florida's even more in that in that spot than Florida State is. Obviously, Florida State has hired a fall and and Florida fans have been expecting this somewhat, but again it's the same thing of I can't think of another game in college football where the subtext is going to be so clear that at this point, if you asked me what team I think DJ Lagway plays quarterback for next year, my my answer is Texas A and M. Whatever, whatever. If this guy is even close to what he thinks he's we think he's going to be, then he'll break whatever record there is of most money quarterbacks ever gotten a portal because he'll be a true sophomore and Texas A and M's basically his hometown team, and that program has an endless appetite to win and they're very much unsettled at quarterbacks. So this could be the showcase game for DJ Lagway for the portal if he plays well in Florida loses.
Speaker 2: What do you make of this LSU South Carolina game? South Carolina should have lost Old Dominion in Week one. I mean, I guess credit them for holding on and winning, but it was a very uninspiring performance for them. Well, then they come out and just beat the breaks off Kentucky in a game where, to be honest, South Carolina their defensive line they were bullies. But I mean, I wouldn't say that South Carolina played a great game. They took advantage of mistakes made, which hey, that's what you're supposed to do, so credit them for the win. But like, I think if you just look at the overall performance and you know, the score does matter when you consider the performance, but like, I don't think that they looked like they're a dangerous team that people really had wrong when they observed that close win against Old Dominion. LSU. On the other hand, you know, they lose to USC, a good team, you know, who do you think? I mean, obviously I would say that LSU probably needs this one more. But are you Are you somebody that thinks South Carolina could pull off this win at home again? I felt like after watching them in Week one, they may be one of the worst teams in the SEC, And now I feel like it's kind of brewing as kind of a trendy pick for people to think the game Cocks to pull off the win here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd be lying if I said I had a clear read on either one of these teams. That's why my head makes me lean towards LSU. But that might just be brand biased. Because LSU has been traditionally third than South Carolina. I LSU in some ways struggled last week with their opponent. I want to say it's Ma Knees, but it's not. It's something that maybe Nichols. They struggled with them their offense in some ways more than they did with the USC. And oh they got they.
Speaker 2: Got out rushed by like one hundred yards. I believe I saw that stat from this great college football writer named Zach Barnett. I think he pointed that out over the weekend, that LSU got out gained, but I think it might have been right around one hundred yards by Nichols.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the USC loss looks better considering they went out and pushed to shut out this past weekend. But LSU's old performance, it's kind of mirror images of each other. That some great individual talent in this game, I mean some You can make an argument the three most freak athletes of the entire sport are gonna be on the field in this game, but the teams around them are. It seems like pretty good is the ceiling for whoever wins this game.
Speaker 2: Zach Barnette FOOTBA Scoop is our guest here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. I'm to the point where I just assume there's no scenario where Dion and his trio because I think Deon Sanders is actually a private football coach. I think he is a private football coach for his sons and Travis Hunter, and he's a politician, a hype man, and that's kind of played out. I feel like for nearly a calendar year now, and there's never been any ounce of humility within any of that circus. A loss to Colorado State is maybe not likely, but could certainly happen. I mean, am I Am I a fool for thinking that maybe at some point we will get like d I mean, he's not gonna just quit and walk away like mid season, but like for all the hype, all of the carrying themselves as if they've accomplished something special, a loss here, I mean that, you know that would put him at one and two and the one win was a nearly a near loss against an FCS team, Like when does when does it explode at Colorado? I guess that's the best question to ask here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think the the the answer here is if they lose this game, like the Colorado fans. It was euphoria to start the fact that this program, which was such an afterthought was suddenly the hot topic in all of sports this time last year. And then, for as bad as last year got towards the end, they're still close in some games and they still showed massive improvement from how just pathetic that program had been under the previous regime. But now if you go out and lose to a a team you beat last season, which you've already done in Nebraska, but be your little brother in the state. And I mean, you best believe if if Colorado State wins this game, they're probably rushing the field considering it will be the biggest game they've ever had at their still newer stadium. You're gonna see Colorado fans be absolutely, out absolutely and outwardly pissed at Dion and you'll see people, you know, openly wishing for him to go ahead and move on and for them to, you know, openly wish for the bygone days of Carl Durel, where it was, yeah, at least we were bad, but at least but we weren't embarrassing. So if they lose this game, it's it's gonna get ugly, I think within the fan base, and you're going to see a big fight there. And then also that's the thing to watch is if Colorado starts two and six or something like that. I don't see anyway, Schadur and Travis Hunter finished out the season.
Speaker 2: Put on the shelf, no doubt.
Speaker 3: They clearly hate their teammates, specifically the quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: But their teammates gotta hate them even worse, right geez.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, So when they make up an injury for both of those guys, when they start two and six, the level of quit within the locker room will be able to be measured from outer space.
Speaker 2: All right, Zach, I know you have a busy afternoon ahead, and there's no more important thing you're gonna do than get the kids and introduce them to some good Brooks and done. But I have to ask you this. My producer John, he's a big Indiana Hoosier fan, and Kurt Signetti has ignited some real life within the Hoosier football fan base. Believe it or not, there is a Hoosier football fan base, Zach. If they do go on the road and knock off UCLA, they're favored right now in that game. I don't think you guys are going to start publishing articles that Indiana is in the hunt for the Big Ten championship, but that would be I mean again, at this point, they haven't beaten anybody, and UCLA's really down, but like Indiana like that, that would be a heck of a sign for the early part of the Signetti era, right yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we talked about him that hire a little bit on my show here in Dallas back when he got hired just because he brought uh, unlike Dion, he brought real juice to that to that program of an actual coach that proved substance you can win football games. Yes. So there was a good article this week in the La Times about how many fans from programs like in Indiana and Minnesota that haven't been to the Rose Bowl in lifetimes, uh, that they're going to bring out there, and so I think it should be a good scene for what I expect to be a Hoosier's victory.
Speaker 2: You hear that, John, Good stuff, Good stuff right there, Zach. I appreciate you man for making time for us on short notice. Enjoy your weekend and enjoy that moment with the kids. Man playing Brooks and done for them. I mean, it's gotta be. It's gonna be a great bother moment for you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Take care of brother, see soon. All right, it's Zach Barnette FootballScoop dot Com. Always appreciate him making time for us, John, You hear that some love for signetty baby.
Speaker 1: He's getting me bricked up enough already.
Speaker 2: I mean, when's the last time, in all seriousness? When's because I don't want to. I'm not trying to poke fun and I know you know that I'm not doing that, of course, because this is not a huge game in the grand scheme of things when it comes to college football. But when's the last time you felt like Indiana had a moment like this where they have a chance to again go out and beat a team that they're favored against. Right it's not as if people think that they're gonna get blown out about three touchdowns, but you know it would be it would be.
Speaker 1: I think the favorability thing is key because Indiana being favored in any matchup against a power opponent on the road is not something that I can ever remember happening.
Speaker 2: That's a great point, like when's the last time Indiana was favored in a road game against a Big ten team?
Speaker 1: Maybe Perdue in the good Tom Allen years, but not during Jeff's time though, right Who's time? Jeff bram at Perdue? Like I mean, oh no, because the beginning of Tom Allen was still the end of Darryl Hazel, I believe, so.
Speaker 2: I think them Meryl Hazel's got about that man that again, anytime people talk about it, it didn't. It was one of those things that was so asinine. It really didn't trigger me because sometimes I can't like sometimes know like, hey, don't get into the weeds, don't argue with people that are making just illogical points. And I couldn't help myself when it come when it would come to like the Kenny Payne stuff, when people would act like it was understandable for Kenny to be so bad as a coach, Like I couldn't help myself when it comes to that. It was so egregious for people to claim brom wasn't worthy to be our coach because of his record at Purdue, that I didn't have the energy to even look at someone who who would make those kind of claims. But if you go look at the record that Purdue had at I mean at the.
Speaker 1: Hazel era is something that I don't know if you could replicate it if you tried.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm trying to pull up the stat here because again, his record at Purdue was not great, but like, clearly they had more. So yeah, here's what it was at Purdue, Jeff Brom he ended up having a winning record in Big Ten play during his six years. There wasn't a winning record by a bunch, but they had a winning record. He also went three and oh versus top three teams in the country went unranked. Kind of a random stat but impressive. Nonetheless, So when people would bring up the fact that Bram, you know, because I think he actually did he have a losing record at Purdue maybe in the first season. No, I know he had, Look, he had losing seasons there. In fact, I'll pull it up here just because I'm curious. But again, while I look at the number of when I look at Jeff's overall record there at Purdue, the one thing I wanted to look at that I found here was that Darryl Hazel in four seasons was three and twenty four. Danny Hope in four seasons was thirteen and nineteen. And Jeff brom In, let's see here, how many years was he there? She was there longer than I realized. He was there for six years, and he was thirty six and thirty four overall, twenty six and twenty five. Again, he had two six and three seasons in Big Ten plays. So again, like the record itself is not something to go crazy about, but the context always matters. And like, I just used to lose my mind when people would bring that up, and then I just realized, Okay, no, anybody who doesn't understand that, like, winning at all at Purdue in the last twenty years has been almost impossible. So anyways, uh, and I look, Purdue tried to claim they were a better football school, like a better job than Louisville, like, and it was just insane like that crazy people are out there saying crazy stuff like that. So I'll bring that up to say, I hope that Signetti puts that stupid Purdue football program in the ground.
Speaker 1: I'm ready for it.
Speaker 2: They mean they'll be favored in that game, right, Purdue sucks.
Speaker 1: Unless I mean Purdue has one of the toughest schedules in college football. They play eleven Power five opponents, which is absolutely insane.
Speaker 2: Louisville did last year too, eleven eleven Power five oponents.
Speaker 1: Some of them just sucked. It was a problem. And that's the same same with Purdue though.
Speaker 2: Sure, right, dude, I actually you know, maybe this is just me wanting to pile on Purdue here. I think Notre Dame bounces back and covers with ease against Purdue. Maybe I'm wrong, because again, Northern Illinois did take it to uh with Purdue.
Speaker 1: They they had a bye week and Week two and the only thing you have on them right now is Indiana State, which again, like when Indiana faced Western Illinois, is a no name. They're horrible and that's all they what excuse me? They won that what forty five to nothing, and that's all you have on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so right now, perdue forty nine to nothing. That's the only game they've played.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had a buy in Week two.
Speaker 2: It's a weird It is a weird buy. You're right, And so Notre Dame of course had the twenty three to thirteen win over A and M at A and M put them in the top five, and then they lose to Northern Illinois sixteen to fourteen. But right now, just for what it's worth, if anybody's interested in this, because it's not on my card, as they say, I don't really have a card. I just opened up an app and make bets. But Notre Dame in Perdue has been one that I've been really interested in potentially getting in on because right now it is Notre Dame minus eight. It was Notre Dame minus sixteen when it opened. It's now now it's shrunk in half. That's a lot, I know. And look it is, I mean, it's it's at Purdue, but like, and they will have a good environment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they sold out Indiana State, which is pretty while to be honest.
Speaker 2: No, and you know I know of this because talking to the Broms when they were up there, like, they were very, very appreciative of the support that they had from fans even when things weren't going great. They have a huge alumni based clearly, but obviously I don't if people know this now. But Tony even Eddy's sun it goes up there, so goes to school there, So you know he's been up there and he's been taken in the games and whatnot, and it's just different. Man, like they're I wouldn't say that they have like great elite tradition that like nobody can match, but like a lot of other Big Ten programs. In fact, like most Big Ten programs, their traditions just so much longer historically than a program like Louisville. So even though they've been pretty pretty bad historically, right, like I had some moments, but like, they're not an elite program by any means when it comes to the Big Ten Football conference. But you know what good or bad, even if it is more bad than good, like your grandfather, his father, Like, they've probably all been going to Purdue games and supporting them. So that's really how you have I mean, and I always talk about this. The reason the Big Ten has so much value is because they have such humongous alumni basis. They usually are state schools, like to Whery, even if you didn't go to school there, the vast majority you know, of the state of Indiana, they love the Hoosiers, although oddly enough Southern Indiana. I feel like there's more Louisville and Kentucky fans. But that's a conversation for a different day. But I think I may just talk myself into it. I'm not going to parlay. It'll be a straight bet, probably a small piece of action, but I'm going Irish minus eight. I don't know how we started talking Purdue here, but we did it, and I'm now convinced they're going to get killed tomorrow. We'll see, And honestly, it's wishful thinking because I want, no want Notre Dame to look better. Yeah, I mean, it's bad enough that they lost in Northern Illinois. I don't even think they should be ranked, but they are. But if Notre Dame, like if this is a nightmare scenario here, if Louisville ends up because note whose Notre Dame have before they get to Louisville, because they'll play next week, I believe, or maybe they're on a buy. So if Purdue somehow beat Notre Dame and then after that, you know, they end up bouncing back with the win against Miami Ohio, which is the game between Perdue and Louisville. If they're two and two with losses to Purdue in Northern Illinois, I mean, Louisville could still lose that game, and that would be such a punch to the gut because you would get like if Notre Name was unbeaten, you lost to them at their place, you could still say, hey, that's not an acc game. We still have a chance to actually go have a really special season. But like in a weird way, like it's it's crazy to say. But if they start two and two, which I don't think they will, and you somehow lost to them up there in South Bend, I think that look like.
Speaker 1: A bad loss, you'd probably I say you, Louisville would be favored in that game. I believe if they were two and two and Louisville was unbeaten.
Speaker 2: Still, yeah, yeah, I think it would depend on specifically what happens against Georgia Tech. But no, I think that's I mean, I think I could see that scenario. If that scenario played out, I think you may be right. They may be the favorite. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. If you guys want to join us, we will get to the phone lines coming up next five oh two, five seven, one seventy nine hundred. You can also text in on the L and N Federal Credit Union tex line five O two sixty five three zero, seven ninety, it's Coffee and Company, and we are fuel about Thornton's right here. On Sports Talk seven ninety, we had one of the texts that came in on the Llen and Federal Credit Union text on. They came in a little strong, but I hear you. I'll read it for you directly. The hell with you, Coffee, You spell my name wrong too, The hell with you, Coffee Happy. There's no Louisville football this weekend? What is your problem, dude? I mean, I can't control it. I'm not the it's not my I have no impact on the schedule. I'm not necessarily happy, but like, I can't control it. And when there's no Louisville football but a lot of other football, I can just kind of sit back and observe and honestly watch it stress free. To be fair, I've not been stressed at all during games against you know, butt Crack State and Butthole Tech and whatnot. But you know, it's part of the schedule. So I'm look, I can't wait for next Saturday. And I could be wrong whether we'll certainly be a factor, but I think you're gonna see a really good crowd for the Georgia Tech game, because look, it's not just it's Louisville. Although we've always kind of as a fan base, I feel like been like this where we need a big attraction, Like we're not gonna like, you can't convince us that we have to be there to watch Louisville play Austin p Now again if fans do, like you want fans to be there. But like I just thought, I think people are kind of reading the room a little bit more about like, wait a second, you're not gonna go and spend five hours at a football game when your team plays a team you've never heard of. Like, you know, people got lives, they got things going on. You can still watch and observe and keep up and support the team and whatnot. But I think Georgia Tech, even though it's not a marquee opponent, it's the first ACC game, hopefully weather it's on our side. It's three thirty in the afternoon, and it's an ACC game. You're coming off a ten win season an ACC championship appearance. So I don't I'm not going to give you any kind of a number as far as a guestimation of attendance, but I think you'll see a good, rowdy crowd there and uh, you're still coming excited bourb and Beyond though next week it'll be interesting. Yeah, it's true, man, I we'll get to that in the four o'clock hour. I think it's not crazy to say this is the biggest musical event of all time in Louisville, like, given everybody that's on the line. Again, I'm not even a music guy, so maybe I'm off base and saying this, but if you look at just who's there for that four day stretch next week at Bourbon and Beyond, have we ever had anything like that? And I don't again, And it's all it's all a matter of opinion and preference when it comes to like who's better, but like the artists that are gonna be there as far as where they are right now in their career, as far as like intrigue and attraction, like there'll be people from across the world.
Speaker 1: Is coming to see this, and Tyler Childers obviously the two biggest when it comes to the younger guys, and then you got Sting on one of the headlining spots and then Dave Matthews Bandons in one as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, I got family that lives far away that never comes to see us, but they're coming to Louisville next weekend and it's not to see us. I mean they're gonna see We're gonna hang out with them and have fun, but like they're here for the festival. So anyways, let's get to the phon lines here before we get to the top of the hour. Five ' two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you guys would like to give us a call, Let's go to Chris. Chris, what's happening on Friday?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: How you guys doing?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: I just wanted to make a point. Brom beat uh, Brom beat Ohio State and that was impressive. And he had a kid that I knew. I know his uncle, Ron del Moore, kid that played for Trinity with my son. I just think that with college football nowadays, it's if you got a wide receiver, a quarterback, some good DV he's a middle linebacker, and a defensive end that's really good, are halfway good? You can do some stuff and it's it's it's about having that tight end. And of course you have to have a line. I'm not saying that's made up of eleven players. But I think that Jeff bron is good when the players fit his scheme. Sure are you picking up what I'm throwing down?
Speaker 2: Oh, no doubt about it. I think that's why Colin Lacy was such an intriguing transfer for Louisville because there was there was some belief that he could really utilize him in a way that he utilized Rondell. And look, not many can do what Rondell more did it perdue. He was sensational. I hate that he's had an injury, some injury issues in the pros, But no, I think there's no doubt Jeff. He's an offensive guy, and I think there's certain pieces that he sees and he thinks, Okay, I can really utilize this guy in a variety of ways, and he did that at Purdue. It's a weird thing, but I think Rondell is very instrumental in Jeff's career because the splash he made when Rondell was there early on, especially that big win against Ohio State that you referenced, that kind of put Jeff on the map a.
Speaker 4: Little bit, right, And it's funny, I'm gonna tell you a fun fact you mentioned. You mentioned the Marshall Tucker Band. Now I'll tell you something that you don't know about me. You probably don't know that I'm a Christian hip hop artist, but I'm on a soundtrack with Marshall Tucker Band in a movie called Angel Camouflock.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, that's awesome, man. I did not know that.
Speaker 4: I knew about the Marshall Tucker Band, you know, because they were a famous band. But it was kind of cool being on the soundtrack. I had a song on there called I'm Tired and it was a movie with Barbar Streissen's husband. It was a low budget movie, but low budget in Hollywood could be two or three million. But it was a movie that Michael Brolin started in. So you're right about that larger than life. But I think Louisville's always been like a test market and we get a lot of good concerts for being in the Midwest, and I just think it's a good market for venues and for groups to come to. And it's always been like that over the years, even going back to the rap days with run DMC and all of that.
Speaker 2: So well, Chris, I appreciate the call man. Not many can say that they are. They're featured on a track with the Marshall Tucker Band, so heck, I mean, I keep that in my back pocket and throw it out there pretty consistently to people because that, again, not many people can say that. So congrats to you, Chris, and appreciate you listening, appreciate you calling as well. We'll take a quick time out. We've got two hours left here on a Friday, so stick with us. Right here. It's Coffee and Company. Fielbeth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety