Speaker 1: Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are crying, or turn them off.
Speaker 1: Their countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 4: Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 5: Every Friday, everybody welcome in coffee and company fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's us, meaning the name of the show and of course the station. My name is Nick Coffee. Nice to meet you, Happy to be here. Hopefully you know who I am. If not, I hope to make a very good impression over these next three hours. I know you know, the one and only Austin Montgomery.
Speaker 2: He's here.
Speaker 5: How's the Christmas? How's the Christmas spirit feeling? Give me a Are the vibes getting better as we get closer?
Speaker 2: I have a mouthful of Cheetos right now, but oh that's yeah, that's just tell you how the vibes are going.
Speaker 5: Actually, I was at targeto last for the show, to just shove Cheetos down your throat as we get the show started.
Speaker 2: But hey, oh yeah, that's three seconds to go until we open.
Speaker 5: You're just trying to beat the buzzer. It happens. It's quite a rush. It's a competition for you. In fact, I usually I don't throw to you fifteen seconds in, but outs, I mean the Cheetos.
Speaker 3: Is that mean?
Speaker 5: I think we eat a lot of junk food during the holidays, right, So I guess God sign for the Christmas vibes.
Speaker 2: Right and the and the I don't know if you've noticed. I don't know if you've really been out, but the traffic is ramped up everywhere. Target is a mess. Walmart is a mess. I was out at a Tony and d White show earlier today at the Oxmoor Mall. Complete mess. But I love it. I love it. I love it. It's trashy, it's it's crowded, you're running into everybody.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 2: That's Christmas to me, baby.
Speaker 5: The full places like the mall, I mean, that gives me the vibe of Christmas.
Speaker 3: The full.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Walmart and Target and that whatnot? That just gives me anxiety and stress. But I've been I'm really looking forward like this. This is rare that it happens, but sometimes Austin, when the show starts, you know, this is my job, this is what I do for a living. It's something I take very serious and I'm very fortunate. But sometimes when the workship starts from three to six, it's actually time for me to kind of unwind and just you know, have some fun and relax. I mean again, we're gonna have some fun today and we are gonna be relaxed and smooth. But you know, I don't want to act like we're not ready and prepared to start a show.
Speaker 3: But I've been.
Speaker 5: I've been very busy today and it's not been as much running around, although I did had my normal morning taking the kids to daycare into school, and then I had to I had to go and get some stuff, but it was early, so it wasn't like I was running into it.
Speaker 2: No disrespect today at any stores when you're trying to return something.
Speaker 3: No disrespect.
Speaker 5: But I've been I've been basically working for my wife today and she took the day off work because we are hosting our Tonight's actually my first Christmas event, and Okay, so maybe it's because I set it up this way to where I'm like, man, man, I just hate how fast the holiday season's going. We got screwed this year with five fewer days to celebrate the Christmas season. But maybe because I've been kind of stressing about that, like I kind of feel like Christmas is tomorrow and it's not. We still got like five days and we have our first events and I we host my wife's side of the family for Christmas every year, and we love doing it. It's a it's a whole lot of fun. Uh and and I'm looking forward to having my in laws over. The halls will be here, the Logs, Dens and of course you know my family, and we'll have a great time. It's one of my favorite Christmas events that we do.
Speaker 2: But when we host Christmas with the coffees.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, there's we're the coffees we're hosting. But yes, sir, I guess you're right. Technically we're all family but different last names. So when they're coming here, they're they're they're heading to the coffees to celebrate Christmas, so it all it all checks out. But when you host, you know, you want to make sure that your home is is well, it is in good shape, it's clean.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: And and my wife, Uh, these are people that she's known her whole life. Like they've seen our home when it's not super clean. They've seen, you know, like if you're if you're worried about somebody seeing maybe your house not super clean, wouldn't you think that the least people you'd be worried about are those that you know, you've known your whole life. Yeah, that like you are probably not going to judge you. It's one thing if it's like a holiday party for friends and acquaintances or something like that. But you know, she's been running around getting the house in order. I've been done a whole lot of work, but I've just been kind of you know, like when she's in her mode to clean, and you know, and if you're and maybe you'll learn this, maybe you already learn maybe you've alreadylearned it because you know you are engaged, going to be married soon. Yes, it's right you and your significant other live together. But like I'll I'll straighten up and I'll I mean to me, it's cleaning, like.
Speaker 3: If I do the dishes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I full the laundry, if I you know, clean up the kids room, which is really a war zone.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's probably one of the worst rooms, right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 5: And you know there's so many little parts to all their toys that's so hard to put away, Like you know, I'll do that every now and then, probably like once a week during the week to where she comes home and I'm in front of the microphone at five thirty and she's walking in the door and she just sees, oh wow, he straightened up, and she has I was a little sensitive to her not appreciating that, and she heard about it from me. So now you know, if I do get the house in order to where she walks in and you know, we're in good shape, she does thank me.
Speaker 3: And I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: But I don't clean like her, if that makes sense, Like she calls it straightening up. So today she's in her cleaning mode, meaning we're talking floors getting mop toilet's getting cleaned.
Speaker 2: The gloves on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, it's it's it's a it's a real it's a real serious thing that she does. And I've kind of just like known to stay out of her way. So I've been trying to stay out of her way today and I've done a pretty good job. But like you know, I also work from home every now and then, like I am today, and you know, I'm just I've I've I'm ready to just be in my dungeon down here and and and have some fun until six o'clock because you know, she's still running around. I mean, she's cooking for everybody, so very much looking forward to tonight.
Speaker 3: But the process that that that leads up to it.
Speaker 5: I mean it's not a whole lot of stress for me, but you know it's stress for my wife, and we share a life together.
Speaker 3: Therefore her stress is my stress.
Speaker 5: So you know, just trying to give you some advice or just say say those kind of things yes to your fiance, and I think you'll be in you'll be in good shape.
Speaker 2: Well, what's the main dishes tonight? Or is it just appetizers or is it going to be.
Speaker 3: Like uh, like I'm embarrassed not to know.
Speaker 2: I know we have you know, so you're gonna be surprised.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of sides as far as like what the main thing is.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't I'll probably be able to tell you here soon when I smell it.
Speaker 3: I wanted to say.
Speaker 5: Maybe ham or actually, okay, you know now actually maybe we're doing are we doing?
Speaker 3: Are we doing pasta? Maybe?
Speaker 5: No? Actually this is not bad. So my my brother in law, Nate, great guy, Love you Nate. He's he's a big outdoorsman and he's a he's a big hunter and he he oftentimes will provide you know, deer steaks or deer chili and it's delicious, so it may again this is this is where I'm at. I'm never asked to provide anything when it comes to food. Therefore, you know, I kind of just show up whether it's my home or somebody else's home, and when it's time to eat, I get in line and I eat.
Speaker 2: That's what I do.
Speaker 3: So but I'm looking forward to it, and it should should be a lot of.
Speaker 2: There be a charcooterie board.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I actually no, we'll probably just have like some dip. Like oh, wife loves the homemade case, so she has to make a big bowl of it.
Speaker 3: We'll all we'll all.
Speaker 5: Double dip and share jerrems because we're all family and you know, it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be.
Speaker 2: All cares exactly?
Speaker 3: Who cares? Now? Have you ever?
Speaker 5: I've never once even paid attention if someone was double dipping, have you no?
Speaker 2: Because I mean, I do it anyways, and I would hate for for someone to monitor the number of dips that I've done. So who am I to do it to someone else?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Same here?
Speaker 5: And I understand, like technically, if you take a bite off of something and then you put it into the dip, like you know, the sun Feld double dipper with George Castanz, and that's a real thing. Like the guy laid it out pretty clearly, like he didn't have to be as as hot about it as he was, but what he called George out for was a real thing, like it is sharing germs. But I've never thought about it, and I you know, I try not to do it. But I also know that there's never been someone that has really, you know, gotten sick and they tie it back to, oh, must have been double dipping. I mean, I guess it's possible, but you know, I'm not. I'm not that worried about it.
Speaker 2: When you're hosting people over anyways, I mean, are already kind of sharing the same uh, Chamber of Germs in the first place, so might as well just go all.
Speaker 3: In on it, exactly exactly now.
Speaker 5: Uh rarely do we start with with a a sports topic that is volleyball, but we have to.
Speaker 2: We have.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, last night, you know, I was out and about with the family. I wasn't there, but you know, it was one of those things when you're playing in a final four with a chance to go to a national championship really in any sport, and at U of L, I mean it is, it's a it's a big deal and you can just kind of feel like. We went to Chewi's for dinner and then we ended up going to put Shack because we had such a good experience in Nashville. I wanted to show my wife and you know, wanted to maybe make some contexts, maybe meet the market maybe, yeah, marketing folks out there, you know how that goes.
Speaker 2: Of course, yes, that put Shack here is so cool.
Speaker 3: It's awesome.
Speaker 5: So we were there and you know, I had the I had the game on initially on my phone at dinner and then we go to put Shack.
Speaker 3: That got on all got on all the TVs and you know, we're not a.
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess I shouldn't say this without knowing we're not like a volleyball city. I mean, actually we are as far as like hell we are, well, we produce a lot of players. But like I mean, this is this is where I gotta be careful and I got to be very you know, mindful of what I say, because when I tell you that, like volleyball is not a needle mover as far as college volleyball on a sports talk show, like people will take offense to that.
Speaker 3: It's just the truth.
Speaker 5: I don't mean any issue. I'm not disrespecting it.
Speaker 3: It's just the truth.
Speaker 5: So what I was going to say is that women's volleyball has become a big deal around here when it comes to UL because they're phenomenal. Danny Bus from Kelly has been great. I mean she's there now literally with one, you know, one win away. But for a while there women's basketball and baseball and they're not there right now, but there was a run where at any moment, if you actually break through and win the national championship, nobody's going to be surprised because you've been right there flirting with it for a while. Danny Bus from Kelly's been doing it for a while now and again she's one went away. So you know, when that kind of stuff happens, there's clearly a lot of interest and it's become a bigger deal in this market with with with folks who probably have no connection to volleyball. They didn't play growing up, they didn't have a a sister who played, but you know, they hear Louisville's good, they support Louisville, they turn it on, they go to a game, and they're like, hell, yeah, this is awesome.
Speaker 3: That's kind of me. So to see people who are probably.
Speaker 5: Louisville fans, but you know, maybe you know, probably not big volleyball fans. Maybe some of them are, but they just know Louisville's about to potentially break through and get to a national championship match. Last night, which is what they did. They knocked off Pittsburgh, which was phenomenal. And to see like that many people like celebrating it, knowing that the majority of them are probably not super locked in and watching every single match and can't probably name the roster like that's just it was a good feeling to be among Louisville fans and kind of know that, like they're all probably like me. And the reason I'm bringing up this way is one because it's awesome and what Denny buspom Kelly has done has been phenomenal. And I've said it many times when it comes to college volleyball, it is a great television product and it's growing. I wouldn't be shocked if it continues to grow at a rapid rate to where it ends up becoming outside of men's basketball, outside of foot college football, men's basketball, women's basketball. I think you could make the case that maybe women's volleyball becomes that fourth most watch sport among college athletics. Baseball gets there and it's actually pretty good when you get to the postseason, but other than that, it's just there's so many games.
Speaker 3: Some of them are during the day, Like.
Speaker 5: It's just not as the way the season sets up, it's not a big TV thing, and again until you get to the postseason. So one thing I've always struggled with that I kind of found my footing when it comes to how I want to lay it out there for you, because I don't watch Louisville volleyball a whole lot, but I do every now and then and I want them to win. I don't watch a whole lot of baseball, but when things are going well and you get closer to the postseason, I want to watch it, and I'm always wanting them to win. But you know, I'm not there in February when the season starts for baseball and it's twenty degrees outside, and again, I've only been to a couple of volleyball matches ever enjoyed it, But like I used to hesitate to even really want to go there and discuss it on the show because I was you know, I just didn't. I didn't want to hear the energy from those that are like, well, oh now you talk about it once, they're good?
Speaker 3: Where you know? Where were you? Oh now?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, now you just and it used to really irritate me to where I would just kind of avoid it.
Speaker 3: And I don't know why.
Speaker 5: I do understand why people have that mindset, But do you want it to grow or not? Meaning like, do you like, yeah, I get it, You probably think like, hey, why is it Nick or other sports talk shows in this market, why are they not talking more about this volleyball team?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: They're good?
Speaker 5: And I hear you but you know there's a reason for that, trust me, Like there's a reason and I don't even need to get into it, but like it's just not something that would be a you know, you can mention it here and there, but like we can't focus a ton of time on it. And we could, but like, I mean, that's not what my bosses would want me to talk about.
Speaker 3: That's just how it is.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: If we have a direct affiliation with you of L and they're a partner, totally different ballgame because at that point you work with your partners together.
Speaker 3: We're not that.
Speaker 5: So it used to really me like I would love to at least bring up that I watched and I enjoyed it, but I don't want to be bombarded by people who, you know, call me a poser.
Speaker 3: Oh you're not a real fan.
Speaker 5: You only you only talk about it or even acknowledge it when they're good and it's it's you know, I guess technically that is the case. It comes up more so whenever you're in this moment. But like, do you want it to grow or not? Because are you a gatekeeper to where like if people don't do it every day like you do, they can't support, Like I'm making sense here. It's almost lost in like people who love a band or an artist, but man, it really goes south for them when they get big and famous.
Speaker 2: Oh you mentioned a gatekeeping gatekeeping for volleyball. Volleyball is crazy because you just got to understand. As much as we'll love and support the Cards in this sort of market, it's always going to always fly under the radar no matter what. And and they're a really really good team, even.
Speaker 5: The support they're getting now, which is great, and it's going to be in the headlines, like obviously it's it's probably one of the most talked about things right now in local news, regardless of the platform television, radio, whatever, print web, because of course it's a big deal. So like this is just kind of how it works. But you know, it's a niche thing. And here's something that a lot of people I think don't want to hear.
Speaker 3: But it's just the truth.
Speaker 5: Like you of l like the deep dive stuff, that's a niche thing. Like there are people who listen to this show or shows like this that if I get into the weeds on recruiting and the portal and you know, just into the weeds like you know, hard hitting stuff, like there are a lot of people and there's nothing wrong with this, but like they check out, they tune out because they're just not really interested in that to that level. So like that's one of the things that I now have done this long enough to understand how that works. And I'm no longer, I guess sensitive to people who say that my show sucks because I didn't talk about the tennis team winning last night, and I'm supposed to be a Louisville guy. Like that's something that used to bother me. Now I'm pretty content. But you know, we're gonna talk about it today.
Speaker 3: We already have.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure much more how much more I'm gonna add to it, but we'll let you hear some sound from Danny Buspim Kelly, as well as Pat Kelsey, who, of course this morning at his press conference was really gassing up the volleyball squad and and and Danny.
Speaker 3: Which was obviously what you want you want to see.
Speaker 5: And it's just I guess this is me circling around to kind of land the plane here on this whole, this whole discussion, it's very much natural for people to not follow certain sports as much as others outside of maybe the high you know, the ones that you know that dominate viewership when it comes to college sports, men's football or football, I should say, and then men's basketball. But like, there's good vibes right now with Louisville Louisville fans, and it's because of this volleyball team. And I'm damned if I'm just going to ignore it because I was worried about people calling in or texting in or just being idiots on the internet saying, oh, this guy is a fraud. He didn't even know Louisville volleyball had a team. Well, I do, and and they've been in knowledge for sure. But like, I got a job to do, and and you know this is not your job. You don't have experience in this in this world. So you know, well, if.
Speaker 2: These guys want to take then how about this. Usually, Danny busmoon Ca, I mean usually we hold in high regards the the Louisville coaches are always in the two biggest of drawing sports here locally, which has always been regarded as football and basketball. So whoever is a football coach, whoever is a basketball coach, as will alternate as who's possibly the most important, you know, coach in U of L Sports right now. And then you have the second tier, which always falls in either like Dan McDonald or Jeff Waltz. And then now I think you have Danny Busman Kelly that jumped both of those people and maybe possibly talking about the most important figure in U of L Sports right now, maybe if it wasn't for the hire of Pat Kelsey and Jeff Bram and I think that they're gonna alternate back and forth. But you have those two, and then you have her, who's obviously going to a national champion this is their second one, right didn't they go to national championship a couple of years ago?
Speaker 5: Ell short in the championship game? I believe it was to Texas, right yep. And here they are back again and again that's why I mentioned like she's been sort of in this range and they just got past the team that, like everybody said that, you know, nobody could be I mean here and this is where I just need to just just chill out. Maybe Papa Gummy. I don't know if I should do that before the show, But like when I said that, people have been saying that Pittsburgh is a team that nobody can be like, I'm not really sure if anybody has said that exactly. However, Pittsburgh had Louis's number all year. They were the number one team in the country the majority of the season. So like I'm overthinking, like, am I gonna sound like I'm a fraud? And don't you know, am I just making stuff up? Am I fake taking it? As they say? But clearly Pittsburgh really good and they showed that all year and even last night. I mean that was what may last night so awesome is that it just kind of looked like, man, the season's going to come to an end because this pit team, who you've already had some struggles with, they're just that good and there's not a whole lot you can do. And then man, the way they turned it on and that second said it was it was phenomenal. And you know, this Pittsburgh team, I don't know if they were like the odds on favorite to win it. But again, we're talking about the number one overall seed and Louisville got past them. Doesn't mean it's going to be super easy in the next game, of course, that will be the deciding you know, when you decide who's the national champion. But it's been awesome. And one thing I like about Danny buspom Kelly is that, you know, she's she's been able to do this without really being a showman show woman, if that makes sense. And there's a lot of people that like have like they have to do that, like they understand, like if I want to bring in those who don't typically follow and consume our product, which is our women, which is my my volleyball program, like I need to be doing Like there's a reason Dan Dan McDonald's phenomenal when it comes to that kind of stuff because he understands that, like, you know, the more I'm out in front showcasing what our program is, what I'm all about, I'm the face of the program, obviously that's gonna get people more interested. And Dan's done that for many, many, many years and it worked. The success helped obviously as to why people became a bigger, bigger fans and were more into it. But she's kind of you know, and she's done interviews and trust me, she's been she's been visible. I don't want to act like she's just but to me, she's I feel like if and I honestly this is gonna be this is gonna make me sound Austin like the ultimate Homer here, and you know, I guess I am in the eyes of some Simpson but no, uh, Cardboy, that's what you can Oh that's right. I read it twice like the show years ago, UK fan called me Cardboy, and then I just realized I should.
Speaker 2: Have just I missed a Carboy moniker because then.
Speaker 3: Other people used to say it.
Speaker 5: But Cardboy is about to come out and full force her because I actually feel like when it comes to these three coaches, and these three coaches have been here, not that long, not as long as others, but I think Pat Kelsey because this is what I was gonna say about Danny. I feel like what you see from her on the sideline, what you see from her in interviews after a game, what you see from her at press conferences is what you would see if you just ran into her and you didn't know who she was, if that makes sense, Like if you knew who she was and you were gassing her up, like oh, I'm such a fan, then you know she'd be not But I just think I think Pat Kelsey Jeff Brawm and Danny bust from Kelly kind of all share that same quality, because I think it's a quality that you're you're very much what you see is what you get. There's not a whole lot of like I'm gonna go to this press conference and try to really you know, send a message. I'm they're just gonna be honest and straightforward. So you know, she's she's she's amazing, and we're lucky to have her. And you know, hopefully she's here for a really, really long time, and I have no reason to think that she won't be. But obviously, for those who who follow volleyball a little closer than us, she does have a stipulation in their contract, which is that you know, she hasn't out to go to Nebraska if that job ever opens, because that's her alma mater. That's where I think she coached before as well. So I don't even know their situation, but hopefully they never make a coaching change. And and but you know what, maybe this is where again, man, the card boy levels are peaking right now. They're they're they're hitting there, they're elevating right now.
Speaker 2: Because I love to see it.
Speaker 5: Maybe if she keeps winning, and maybe if she wins a national championship here, soon it'll get to the point where she's Denny and she's like, yeah, I know UCLA is gonna call, but I'm good. I think I'm good. This is now home. I've built it up to where I can do anything I want here. We're winning titles. Appreciate the uh the call to come back home, but but I'm good. I got chills right now. Man, I'm cardboy out. Oh yeah, I'm ready to roll.
Speaker 2: But but if something happens and she leaves, we better not try to try to cover it too much because we don't care about volleyball, remember only when it matters to us.
Speaker 3: And I don't even plan to go there today.
Speaker 5: But I was thinking about it quite a bit because I just, you know, I shouldn't give a damn what any people think about me supporting UFL volleyball. But it used to be a real thorn in my side because I'm thinking, like, well, do you want it to grow or not? You complain all the time, and then when I can't win with people, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But you know I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't hear any of it last night when I was tweeting about it. And you know, I'm sure I may hear some from people, and that's okay. I'm content. I'm content with myself. All right, we got a roll, but don't go anywhere. We'll take a quick break, we'll come back. Keep this thing rolling along. It's Friday, we're feeling good. The vibes are very strong, and hopefully that stays the same way until we get out of here a little later on.
Speaker 3: So stick around.
Speaker 5: It's Coffee and Company Field about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: That's right, Coffee and Company rolling along here on a Friday afternoon. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. If you want to join us on the show today, do Let's start with the text line. We'll put up the phone lines a little bit later on. If you want a text in you can five O two six five three zero seven ninety. It's the llen N Federal Credit Union text line. Members get more at Ellenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LENFCU dot com. All right, so I mentioned my wife getting the house in order today because we're hosting a Christmas gathering tonight with her side of the family really looking forward to it. And I didn't expect this text to come in, but I like it just because I'm a little curious myself, and I did a little googling to kind of give you a better answer. But this text is nick, help me out here. You're a married man like myself. I referred to my wife as a trophy wife the other day and she hit me upside the head. Help me settle this. Is that an insult? Or is that a compliment? Well, I would have said before looking in, you know, looking up the actual dictionary of what a trophy wife is, I would have just and I was wrong, because I'll actually let me read it says a trophy wife is a wife who is seen as a status symbol for her husband, often in a derogatory way. I would have not known that it was derogatory. I thought it meant like she's great, she makes.
Speaker 3: You look good, she's a trophy.
Speaker 5: I guess it can mean like she's your possession, like you want her, and like you look at her more as an item than a human being. I don't know, so I will tell you this. I think me and you were probably on the same page there, because I would have thought it meant, if anything, a compliment and not like an insult. But why she took it that way, I'm not really sure. Like I don't know you obviously, but I would say that you know, without knowing you, that you probably meant it in an a good way, and clearly you did or you wouldn't have asked. So, I mean, I've never once thought about that being like an insult. I've never once referred to my wife as a trophy wife. Should I Should I do it later and like test it out and see if like she hits me or if she's like, oh, thank you, honey. I mean, when you hear somebody say that somebody's a trophy wife, I feel like it has always I mean, again, maybe I'm not the best person to ask, because you know I would have been wrong. It also says here that are multiple There are multiple matches for trophy wife, including a term for a wife who is the status symbol and a TV show and movie. I don't oh, I guess yeah. There's a movie called trophy Wife that came out in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 3: So would I would do if I was you?
Speaker 5: Just tell her that, hey, and I'm sure you probably already have told her that you didn't mean it as an insult, and I guess she clearly wasn't happy with that, or maybe she's forgiven you. But either way, if it comes up again with you and your wife, just tell her that you meant it the same way that I would have meant it, and that Nick says that I should apologize and it won't be something I use anymore. I mean, that's probably probably your best bet right now. All right, Louisville Football has added a couple more in the transfer portal, and I wouldn't be shocked if there's more and more of those that get added in the coming days. And when I say it's been difficult to keep up with, I don't mean that like it's impossible. It's just like you know, this happened. Let's see, this was thirty minutes ago. Roughly that two more have come in as far as commitments, one of them actually as a Louisville native, and I'm hopefully gonna say his name correctly, Carter Guliam Gulami. I think it's Ghulami. I believe it's how you say that, But he's an offensive lineman. Was a freshman All American at Southeast Missouri State, started eleven games at left guard. They went to the FCS. I think they went to the FCS playoffs. Maybe I have that wrong, but he was named to the All FCS Football All American Team. So clearly a guy who out of Louisville played his played as high school ball at Saint X.
Speaker 3: Was a two time All State guy.
Speaker 5: Clearly didn't get recruited by the big programs, at least I wouldn't imagine because he ended up at Southeast Missouri State.
Speaker 3: It's a good example of the portal.
Speaker 5: This is a guy who probably didn't get the love he deserved on the recruiting trail, goes to Southeast Missouri State, plays really well, and now he's playing for his hometown team, the louis of Cardinals. So obviously Jeff Brom, I would imagine, has some connections and I'm sure he knows people that coached this young man for quite a while. So again I trust Jeff when it comes to these kind of things. And then another addition is a safety Rodney Johnson who is joining the program after playing for Where did he play? I know he played in the Swack as far as uh, you know that's the conference he played in, because you know, I can see that that's on his resume here that he was was he was in.
Speaker 3: The Swack title game.
Speaker 5: But yeah, he is a sick Let's see, he's a six six, two hundred pounds safety. Played in all twelve games. Uh and uh, you know gives you gives you some more added depth on the in the secondary. All right, Uh, Kentucky real quick, I'll mention them as well, because you know, I this is one of those uh this, this is one of those additions that you make that that does obviously gets you excited and you feel like it's a good get because you know you added somebody from a big time program. So Alabama receiver Kendrick Law committed to Kentucky earlier today. And what I don't know, I mean, he clearly if he ends up at Alabama playing receiver, then he's probably a pretty good player. He was in the twenty twenty two class and yes, a four star recruit. And what I'm trying to see is how many how much production he had Yeah, it looks like he played in thirty plus games over his three years there, thirty three receptions, three hundred and thirty four yards in one touchdown. So what you would hope for if you're Kentucky here is that this is a guy that is really good and can help you right away. He's just behind a lot of talented receivers at Alabama because you know, that's a program that for a while has pretty much gotten whoever they wanted, especially during the Nick Saban air. So Louisville earned firsthand guys who may have a tough time getting a ton of reps at Alabama, they fit in just nicely at programs like Louisville and probably Kentucky as well. Jacory Brooks was sensational this year, and a little different with Jacory. Jacorey was somebody that at one point was Alabama's top receiver and was really good catching touchdown passes from Bryce Young, really really successful at Alabama until he got hurt and then he fell behind. And it's just at Alabama. If you've got somebody that's able to step in because you're injured, the guy stepping in is probably really good because you know he's at Alabama, So with that, it's kind of hard to get back in them when you come off of injury. So Mark Stoops is certainly gonna have a lot. And I did make fun of them last time around when this came up because it was kind of hilarious to hear the way in which they were just trying. And I don't blame fans for trying to find the positive and trying to see the glass half full, because you don't want to be miserable. But to see somebody put it out there as a positive for Kentucky football that.
Speaker 3: All these really good players.
Speaker 5: Leaving that are gonna be wanted by other big time schools, like to spend that as a good thing because there's gonna be more nil money to use because they're leaving, Like that's that's rich. But it also is kind of true, meaning that like with Dion Walker, Dane Key, Barry and Brown, all those guys leaving, you know that money. And again maybe maybe the pool of money's not the same, because I could imagine the ponying up for Stoops is probably not going to be at the same level. I mean, he claimed it's it's better than it's ever been. I think he said that right before the Louisville Kentucky game. But I can also see in Il dropping because you know, you just went four and eight and you didn't. You know, he's not out there really trying to win the fan base back. I mean, he kind of like, hey, I know some of you don't want me here, but too bad, I'm not going anywhere Like that. That was not a positive message, I don't think. I mean, I'm sure he's frustrated that they're frustrated. But anyways, there's gonna be money available, and I'm sure some of that money was used to get Kendrick Law because this is a guy who you know when you hit the portal from Bama. Let me ask you this, Austin. Let me get your thoughts on this. Give me give me four to five schools that most coaches and I shouldn't say most, but like, if if a guy hits the portal from these four to five schools, there won't be as much attention on their production at that school because you're just gonna think, like, damn.
Speaker 3: If they played there, oh ye were recruited.
Speaker 5: We'll, you know, we'll we'll lightly look over the film, but we'll we'll we are willing to talk business and play a little ball here because if you if you were good enough to play there in a little bit, you're probably gonna play your Bama is certainly one of those programs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna think anybody, Yeah, I think any Most of them top heavy in the SEC, like Georgia, especially Florida. Florida just breeds athletes, maybe like Florida State. I don't know if i'd throw Clemson up there. I mean Clemson is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Clemson.
Speaker 5: I feel like if you're leaving Clemson, you may have talent, but like you, you may also just not have been able to fit in with debos culture.
Speaker 2: Miami maybe, yeah, But I feel.
Speaker 5: Like Miami and Florida are two places that lately there are guys who have left there and been a lot better elsewhere, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, but Bama and Georgia.
Speaker 4: And I would say Ohio State, but yes, Like those are schools that I've actually seen some dudes transfer out that you just assume they're gonna be really good because you know they played at this school.
Speaker 2: And USC too, probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. What you really don't know is.
Speaker 5: And there's only one way to find out, you got to take the can bring him in, and maybe it doesn't look like a big risk because you know you're bringing in somebody from Bama, Georgia, Ohio, State, Texas, whatever. But like, but to Corey Brooks, he was somebody that again, his case was different. He played and showed he could be good at Alabama. Therefore it was no surprise that everybody wanted him in the portal. And I'm really glad Jef Broum got him. Brock Vandergriff he never really got the chance to play at Georgia because there were really good quarterbacks in front of him. So your risk is, Okay, I believe he's really good. He just couldn't get on the field because you know he's at Georgia. But then you bring him in and you're like, yeah, I'm not sure he would have ever played at Georgia because he's not that good and he's now quit football.
Speaker 3: So there is a risk there.
Speaker 5: But look, programs that don't usually get the kind of players that these programs are loaded with, they're willing to take that risk, especially if it's not like if it's your quarterback, it's a way bigger risk. But if it's just one of many o linemen, one of many defensive linemen, in one.
Speaker 3: Of your receivers.
Speaker 5: You know you can take that risk and it not really work out, and then you know it's not, doesn't it. You know, the only way it could really be a burn, The only way it could really burn you, unless, of course, since your quarterback, because again, there's only one of those that should play. For the most part is if like you end up spending a ton of your Nile money and it you know, it's a disaster. Let me give you an example, Keyante Goodwin. I know Kentucky fans will remember that name. I know Louisville fans will remember that name, at least some of them. I don't know if Austin's familiar, but he's a young man who was a behemoth of a of a middle school guy. I mean, he was looked like a guy who could be playing college football on the line when he was in like seventh grade. But he really didn't have any I mean, he was just raw. And he ended up being an offensive lineman in high school, and he played at Holy Cross, he played at Ballard, he ended up finishing his career at Charlestown, high school. I think he also played it to sales, but he was a five star recruit. They ended up picking Kentucky over Texas A and M. And you know, anybody who talked about this young man would say, you know, he's got a ton of potential. But you know, months would pass and like they would still say potential, Like he was so raw, Like there was never like he played at Charlestown High School in southern Indiana and never really like dominated. But everybody in the country wanted him because he's a monster, and they just feel like, hey, he's got athleticism.
Speaker 3: And he's got size, if he's got a good.
Speaker 5: Head on his shoulder, we can coach him up and he could be elite, Like he could be special. So he goes to Kentucky, couldn't get on the field. Well, then he hits the portal and because of the building he had out of high school, because of the potential that's still there, Florida got involved and they threw an insane amount of money at him in the nil world, and he never played a snap for him left and is currently out of football, does not play anymore. That's a guy who you know, there was a lot of Nile money spent on him to go to Kentucky and to go to Florida, and he never played, Like I'm not sure he played a college snap to be honest with you. So if that wouldn't have that wouldn't have been seen as like a And again, those two programs, they never even knew what they were missing because they never they never never play him because he wouldn't God haveugh to get on the field. But where it could bite you is if you're a coach or an anile collective and you're sitting back like, man, we spent thirty five percent of our budget on one dude, So you know, it's a risk we're taking. I would say, and look at this kid at Alabama ends up not being that good, or this kid from Alabama ends up not being that good for stoops, I mean, that'll be a bummer for Kentucky fans. But it's still probably a risk we're taking because you know, if he's good enough to get on the field there, even a little bit, he's probably going to have to play for you. All right, quick break will come back on the other side. We've got our first college football playoff game tonight. It's going to be in the snow, the Hoosiers and the Irish.
Speaker 3: I'm getting.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm getting like it doesn't feel normal, but like I got some I got some energy flowing through me. I put on the candy stripe pants now because I'm all in on these Hoosiers.
Speaker 2: Oh. Dude was talking to a company man earlier, and he's ready.
Speaker 3: He got his chest out.
Speaker 2: He's a little nervous, he told me, but he's he's also ready.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm happy for him. I wish I was him right now. I know, man, it would be awesome, and I can't. I mean, John and I started working together not that long ago. I guess it's about two years ago. And like the thought of me knowing that I'm envious of an Indiana football fan for the college ball playoff, I would have never I would have thought you had some screws loose if you threw that scenario out here. But here we are, all right, don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here. It's Coffee and Company. Fee about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 3: Dy Well, Mary J.
Speaker 2: Blige, Oh, yeah, we don't need no hater ration or holeration in this dancery today.
Speaker 5: I remember when this song was real big and just listening to it and thinking, like, I'm not real familiar with your game, Mary J. Blige, but you sound like a badass chick.
Speaker 2: Try not to try not to move your body when that song comes off.
Speaker 3: Oh you can't. You just saw me. Yeah, you can't not do it.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, I mean.
Speaker 3: You can try.
Speaker 5: But good luck, I mean best of luck to you, because I know I can't control myself whenever I think, is that Timbaland on the on the beat?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Of course Timberland had a huge hand in everything in the early two thousand This was two thousands, right, like.
Speaker 5: Women right, oh yeah, he did a lot of reduction for like women's R and B or hip hop.
Speaker 2: And Kanye West. Very instrumental with Kanye West too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I miss old Kanye West. I miss like when Kanye West became a thing like that was like it was the first time I remember listening to rap and like thinking, Okay, this guy's an artist, meaning like he's not just you know, the first like rapper that I really actually the first rap song that I was like, oh, man, this sounds awesome, but I was, I mean, it was. It was coolio Gangsta's Paradise, Yes, and like it's still it's still a jam today, but like you know, I felt like that was just like, man, this just sounds awesome. But like Kanye West was teenage nick like, Okay, this guy is very creative and I think he's awesome, and then you know, he got kind of real weird and I don't, like, I don't even I don't even know him anymore.
Speaker 3: I say that like I've like a medic in a relationship, but.
Speaker 2: It's just, you know, not my Kanye.
Speaker 3: When I hear the old Kanye, like the Kanye that I was introduced.
Speaker 5: To, like for the Wire and even like Jesus Walks was like yeah, just the powerful stuff, and you know he kind of became a madman. And when I hear the old stuff, I do. I have two emotions and they balance out. One is sadness of like man, what happened? But also it's like, well we still have this and this is this is something I'll probably listen to forever.
Speaker 2: I just always thought that Kanye West was an absolute genius that the only problem is that he knew it. That makes sense, and you're right.
Speaker 5: Because he is somebody that has I think now he I mean again, I don't know how anybody would even try to guess what's going on upstairs with him in the last I don't know. It's been a while now, right, Like he's been kind of nuts for a long time. I mean it's not new.
Speaker 2: He ran for president a few years ago.
Speaker 3: He's he's just a nut. And I mean, I think and this is this is what happens with.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of very creative artists, whether it be true art or film music, like they just I don't know if they get it. They just overthink it to where they do like the most ridiculous thing ever and just try to be like they don't want to be predictable. Maybe like it's almost in maybe this is in the greatest comparison, but like what's considered like fashion? Now, Like would NBA players walk into arenas wearing knowing that they make millions upon millions of dollars and they look like they went to a good will or they stole clothes off of a homeless person, like yeah, and call that fashion? Like I know, I'm sounding like a boomer here, but like, what is it? Like? What that's not? That looks awful? I don't care what you paid for. I don't care what the designer is. You look like a clown. And like everybody's style is different. You know, I wear basketball jerseys. People think that makes me a clown. So to each their own. But like I think, to go back to Kanye, I think he just started like, let me be as bad, bleep crazy as I can be, and then I'll just tell people, no, you guys don't get it. You can't match my intellectual level.
Speaker 2: I fell into the trap.
Speaker 5: You know, you know who did that? You know who did that? And it backfired and it changed their entire career.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Rodman Irving, Kyrie, Oh yes, yes, Kyrie.
Speaker 3: Irving did that.
Speaker 5: Kyrie Irving just wanted people to think that they just cannot and his was all fake.
Speaker 3: I don't think it. He was just a tryhard.
Speaker 5: Like I don't believe he actually ever really had any big brain, not to say he's not a smart human being. Yeah, Like I think he just it was all for show to him. He wanted he wanted his brand to be that you guys just can't like I'm such an elite celebrity athlete, and like I like it was all fake intellectual stuff that like he just wanted people to think that he was the smartest guy in the room and that we just couldn't relate when actually, like, no, you're an idiot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's like rebelling against like Nike now and he's wearing he's wearing like his own shoes. He's still wearing the Nike shoes but like crossing him out and putting other logos on them.
Speaker 3: So contractually obligated, man, yeah, you signed the.
Speaker 2: Contract, I stranglehold on you. And Kanye did the same thing. He let he said screw you to Nike and went and did Adidas. And I actually have a few pairs of his original Adidas or his original Yeezies. Those are Then he just went into the realm of just wearing like like people were wearing trash bags at fashion shows. And then he started doing the whole yeez this thing. And then remember he dipped into gospel and he was doing that and like it would that that's where he lost me. Yeah, political wise, I mean I don't care. That was always you know, it was always like a fun Kanye to follow because there's something new every day. It was different than the Kanye I grew up with because he used to rock the Jordan's. He used to rock like the nice jeans and remember the shutter shades that had like the lines through them and you're like, how the hell can you see out?
Speaker 5: I remember early early Kanye was like, maybe it's just because I've always loved this city, but I feel like a huge part of his.
Speaker 3: Brand with Chicago.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, well, and I mean clearly that's still where he's from, and I know he's actually had some of his bigger shows ever there in the last you know, decade or so. But like it kind of just went to where he's just he's this lost artist and that's you know, I'm I'm out on.
Speaker 2: That the Kardashian effect. Man. Yep.
Speaker 5: I mean I guess, yeah, you could probably time it out to that they get it.
Speaker 2: Mean, well, the end of that is where it got really weird.
Speaker 3: When will men learn?
Speaker 5: In fact, I think there's probably many many men that understand what they're walking into, and because of other things, they just say, look, I'll I'm just a man, I'll live with it.
Speaker 2: Like that's remember Chris Freeze.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh yeah, that was like early Kardashian.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, that was that was her first marriage. And they met each other and like got married in like sixty days or something like that.
Speaker 5: And you know, you know, you're a girlfriend that lives with you, that you proposed to. And she said, yes, you only knew what like two weeks.
Speaker 2: Right about a wee? How about a week? Give me some grace and you knew, right, I just swiped right and I said, hey, want to get married.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I had no clue. There's bull game going on as we speak.
Speaker 5: We've got Jacksonville State in Ohio playing in fact, that just ended. Ohio be Jacksonville State thirty to twenty seven. So rich Rod's team, of course, he I doubt he coached. He's not West Virginia. But another game that just started too lane in Florida, as Florida is up three to nothing. And of course the games that really matter tonight Indiana plus six and a half. The line is dropping. I mean, I want to hammer it. And here's what I and we'll talk a little bit more. That scares me, Yeah, tend in that way. Yeah, And I'll save this for the next hour because I have a it's kind of along the same lines of what I talked about with Notre Dame just getting in the playoff, but.
Speaker 3: Notre Dame deserves to be a favorite.
Speaker 5: But this line initially and even I think kind of where it is right now, it's just an example that Notre Dame is getting. They still get a brand bump that I feel like, for decades now has been proven to not be worth near what a lot of people still value it as to where you're just going to assume Notre Dame is just I mean, Notre Dame is not an elite program. They're very successful, they have a phenomenal tradition, and when I see lead, I don't I mean results. You know, they're good, but like they could easily lose to Indiana, And I feel like this game is being treated as if like we're talking Van Dy Alabama.
Speaker 3: It's not that at all.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to come down to, especially if you're betting on it and if you're if you're an Indiana fan, do we really trust Riley Leonard in a big spot like this.
Speaker 3: I don't trust Marcus Freeman. Yeah, you know, yeah, I mean, I'm with you.
Speaker 5: On Leonard for sure, and with Freeman, I think he's actually done a nice job this year.
Speaker 3: But you can't.
Speaker 5: I mean, everybody wants to talk about Indiana's schedule. I mean Notre Dame lost to NIU, and really any win that they got that you felt like had value, that value decreased in a major way once you got to the end of the season. So all right, we got to run two more hours left here, so stick around, keep.
Speaker 3: It locked right here. It's coffee and company. Where fuel.
Speaker 5: But Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety