Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on w b Z the news radio.
Speaker 2: Again, I just want to say thank you to the principal of Westwood High School, Amy Davenport, and math teacher beyond mahegan financial literacy that is now a required course at that high school. And as I say, you can listen if you only caught the end of the conversation. Rob will have that hour posted probably sometime when I say early this morning. Rob's works later than I do. He works until three am in the morning, and part of his job is to post the hours that are on Nightside so you can listen to that hour. It will be posted as tonight's nine o'clock hour. And following along on the issue of financial literacy tomorrow night, we will be joined by CPA Mark Misselbeck. Mark has been our guest now at this time of year for several years. I think one of the first times we have Mark on was back in twenty ten. He has an ability to literally to answer any question about the Internal Revenue Code and if you have any tax questions for him, from the more elementary questions to the most sophisticated questions, Mark will be available beginning at nine o'clock tomorrow night, and we've had him years stay for a couple of hours. I think it's important. One of the things that you have to be thinking about, whether you like it or not, is that April fifteenth is around the corner. It'll be well, it's really only on what two weeks from two months from this weekend, and that is the time of reckoning with the irs, and hopefully you've withheld enough money so that you get some money coming back. But either way you have to square up with the IRS or else request an extension, which is they're pretty easy to get. But we can go through all of that tomorrow night with Mark Misselbeck, and he will be with us tomorrow night at nine o'clock. Now, today was a very busy day for the Trump administration. Late last night, President Trump greeted an American who had been held hostage in Russia for several years. His name was Mark Fogel. He's a high school teacher who was I guess visiting Moscow and he was arrested because he had medical marijuana, prescription drugs medical marijuana in his suitcase. And he has served several years in Russian prisons. And there's interesting backstory to it that the day that Donald Trump was shot in Butler, Pennsylvania, this gentleman Mark Fogel's mom, who is ninety five years old, actually met the president before that rally, before the president was shot, and he promise as to her that he would do whatever he could to get Mark Fogel out. He had lingered in a prison there for a long for for many many years, and Trudeau's word, he did get him out. As a matter of fact, that story was told today on CNN by Mark Fogel's sister Rob. This is cut number four. I just want to play this for people. Ian Fogel on CNN today with Aaron Burnette cut for place. My mother went to the Trump rally and saw President Trump shortly before he was.
Speaker 3: Shot and Butler, right, Butler, crazy.
Speaker 4: Turn of events.
Speaker 2: And he told her then that if he was if he was elected, he was going to get him out.
Speaker 5: And the man was true to his word.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so there's another Americans unidentified who has been released by Belarus, which is a country that has very close relations with who also today, President Trump talked with Putin on the telephone for an hour and a half. He also talked with President Zelenski of Ukraine and there seems to be some progress that is being made potentially there. And in addition, you have President Trump who has issued once again an ultimatum to Hamas. This is cut number twenty six rob about the release of all the Israeli hostages that Hamas continues to hold. Cut twenty six rub No.
Speaker 6: I would say, Saturday at twelve, we want them all back. I'm speaking for myself. Israel can override it, but from myself, Saturday at twelve o'clock and that if they're not here, all hell is going to break out.
Speaker 2: And a reporter followed up on that, and well, the reporter basically asked President Trump what he meant by all hell is going to break loose? I think I know what he meant. Cut twenty seven rup say, Old, the hell is.
Speaker 5: Going to break loose?
Speaker 4: Are you speaking about retaliation from you?
Speaker 6: You'll find out and they'll find out too. Hamas will find out what I mean. They're gonna find out what I mean. These are second people and they'll find out what I mean. Saturday or twelve.
Speaker 2: I think President Trump also today talked about being being moved by the appearance of the hostages who have been released. This has cut twenty eight A.
Speaker 7: Rob hamas has been a disaster. And by the way, I have to tell you that I watched the hostages come back today and they look like Holocaust survivors. They were in horrible condition. They were emaciated. It looked like many years ago, the Holocaust survivors. And I don't know how much longer we can take that. When I watched that, I know we have a deal. What was it ust to get?
Speaker 6: They dribble in and keep dribbling in, but they are in really bad shape. They have been treated brutally horribly.
Speaker 7: Even the ones that came out earlier they were a little.
Speaker 6: Bit better shaped, but mentally they were treated so badly. Who could take that?
Speaker 7: You know, at some point we're gonna lose our patients.
Speaker 2: He finished that comment. This was a comment that he made over the weekend. This is this is about forty seconds Robins cut twenty eight B.
Speaker 7: When I see that scene that I saw it today with people coming out of helicopters and airplanes that are emaciated, that look like they haven't had a meal in a month for no reason for that, And I don't know how much longer we can take it.
Speaker 8: Do you mean you want to be cast?
Speaker 7: I don't know how long we can take it. When I watch people that were healthy people a reasonably short number of years ago, and you look at them today, they look like they've aged twenty five years. They they literally looked like the old pictures of holocausts. It's the same thing. I mean, the same thing.
Speaker 6: And I don't know how long we're gonna take that.
Speaker 2: So President Trump, again last weekend and also again today, has basically laid down a marker hamas has now been unnoticed. Today's Wednesday. Let's see what happens Saturday at noontime. He's not specified whether he means noontime Middle East time, on noontime Washington d C Time. So we're going to talk about that. Today was really I thought, a coming out day, if you will, for him on the international stage. That, in addition to what his secretary of Defense said about Ukraine, will get to all of that. Basically, a huge change in America's foreign policy was executed today, both in Washington and in Europe. My name is Dan Ray. If you'd like to get on board, early six, seven thirty or six, one, seven, nine, ten thirty back on Nightside right after this, it's with Dan Ray.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you Easy Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, if you were following the Trump administration, your head is I'm sure spinning because there's been so much done. Apparently there's every day, it seems as if there's some news of a substantial nature. Today most of it was international news. Now, apparently there was a late decision today by the federal judge here in Boston, Georgia O'Toole, to allow the voluntary resignations of federal workers to proceed. I was listening. I think it was Nicole's newscast said that the judge had found that the unions who were the plaintiffs in the case, who had sought relief on behalf of their membership Judge O tru five, they did not have standing. So again that's going to go on. There's the big stories today though, were that all of a sudden we find out that President Trump and President Putin of Russia had a ninety minute phone call, and after that, President Trump talked to Vladimir Zelensky, and well the President talked about Ukraine. And I think that today is the day that the official US policy towards Ukraine changed the The Biden administration was supportive, but was not maybe as fully supportive as Zelensky might have wanted. But the Trump administration, I think is making it pretty clear that they want to negotiate an end of the war, and I think it's going to be my It's going to be probably on terms that Zelensky's not going to be happy with. Ukraine has some portion of territory in Russia. I suspect that there will be pressure put upon him to get out of the Krisk region. Well, at the same time, Russia, I suspect will be allowed to keep Crimea and also some of the territory in eastern Ukraine, the so called Dumbas region. Again, I'm not an expert on that war. The Ukrainians have fought valiantly for three years with our encouragement, and I think that at the end of the day here it's going to end up. Ukraine will survive. There was There's a lot going on in my senses that that there will be a conclusion here that some Americans will welcome, but there will be a lot of Americans who will look look at this and say this is a complete change. Also in Europe today, the new Secretary of Defense, Secretary Hegseth, made it very clear that whatever negotiations occurred, there would be no path for Ukraine to NATO membership. So there's a lot. There's a lot going on here in the in the last few days. The the release of the American hostage Mark Bogel, I think is a an indicator that that Putin is willing to make some concessions. It certainly would be something that we welcome as Americans, but it might not augur all that well for Ukraine. This is Vogel in the Oval Office with President Trump last night. This is cut number one, Rob. If you'd be so kind, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I feel like the luckiest man on earth right now. And I want you to know that I am not a hero in this at all. And President Trump, this is a hero. These men that came from the Diplomatics Service are heroes. The senators and representatives a past legislation in my honor to get me home are the heroes. I am in awe of what they all did.
Speaker 2: But he would not be home if it was not for put Rules with an iron hand. Now is this perhaps a harbinger that Putin and Trump maybe have a relationship which can annure to the benefit of peace. Whether that annures to the benefit of Ukraine might be another question, But apparently, according to President Trump, they have agreed to perhaps both visit each other's countries to see Putin back in Washington or Trump or President Trump in Moscow. I just think there's been a sea change in our international position today. I'm gonna get to phone calls. I don't want to short change anyone, but let me get Brian in before the break. Here, Brian, you're the first up. Brian is in New Hampshire. Brian, what do you think is going on? Hello? Hello, Brian, are you there? Yes, Let's put Brian on hold. Rob put Brian on hold in. Let's go to the commercial break and we'll take him. Right after the break, we'll coming back on Nightside if you like to join us. The only lines that are open right now are six, one, seven, two, five, four thirty.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go back to the phone calls. I guess we had a misnamed caller, so it's not Brian, it's actually Bernie from New Hampshire. Bernie, welcome. How are you, sir?
Speaker 9: I'm fine, Dan.
Speaker 10: How are you tonight?
Speaker 2: Doing great? Bernie? What's your taking? What's been going on in the last twenty four hours? It would make my head spin?
Speaker 9: All right, thank you for taking my calling, and thoughly enjoy listening to your show every night, sir. But I think he's just trying to make two points. As we all know kind of that he's an isolationist to a point, and he's showing that with the Russian conflict, with the Ukraine conflict, that he doesn't want to put American soldiers in Ham's way over something that he believes is that a stalemate now, and he's taken a pragmatic approach to it to to just see what he can get to get it to stop, so that we don't get the whole world doesn't get involved in it.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, but it is. It's a it's a real sea change in terms of where we were. I mean, the Biden administration held back on some weapons that Zelensky wanted, but the Biden administration was pretty supportive of Ukraine and from Ukraine's perspective. All of a sudden, the US, which was their biggest supporter, now is going to be probably pushing them towards a ceasefire initially and then eventually a peace agreement with Putin and be interested in how that plays with Zelensky and how it plays in Ukraine. And they're not going to be in position probably much of a position to fight against it, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: Absolutely absolutely, And he's and he's a show in his strength with the Middle East conflict and that it is I mean, it's a terrible situation in Ukraine, we all agree in that, but in the Middle East, they're they're just He's he's showing the world that that that terrorists, organized organizations just cannot take hold of the world. Now, now, let's all face it. Israel rose from the ashes of this of this this conflict, and and and and showed the world how strong they truly are, and the US backed them, and then and they backed them and then and now Trump's telling them, hey, We're not going to be held hostage by your type of organizations. If we have we will do what we have to do to ensure that people cannot be treated like that not saying that the people in Ukraine, but we we you know what's going on in the Middle East. The way they treated these sausages, these were these were peaceful people going on the festival. It was like they were at Woodstock and they and and they just came in and they took over. And it was well planned. And Hamas and the whole Middle East thought they they got what they wanted. They do they dorew everyone into that conflict, but they thought it was gonna turn out different. And what happened was.
Speaker 2: What what is what does President Trump do if if Hamas uh it doesn't release all the hostages by noon on Saturday. He's kind of done that red line in the sand thing that President Obama did. And what I mean, he gave himself a little bit of wiggle room today because he did say that he could be overridden by net Yahoo. But I assume that he knows what Netanya who wants, and who knows what he wants.
Speaker 9: Absolutely they you know what nat and Yahoo when this first started, they said, you want you want to bring you want to bring this down. He was gonna rain down on him, and he did.
Speaker 11: They did.
Speaker 9: They rose up and took him a bit, but they rose up and they showed the world their metal, their metal, and they were made as one of the strongest, smallest fighting forces in the world. And they know that the US has proofs in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Now, they took out the leadership of a moss they took out the leadership of a Mosas Hezbollah, they took out leaders of Iran when they were in Lebanon. I mean, they have risen from the ashes. Bernie, I appreciate your call. Please keep calling the show and keep listening. I appreciate your loyalty. Thanks, Bernie, Thank you. Have a great night. Marty is in Florida. Marty, you're next to the nightside. Your thoughts on what's been going on the last twenty four or so hours here. It's been an interesting, well interesting twenty four hours.
Speaker 12: Well the thing that mostly I had tears in my eyes when I saw Tulsie Gabbut being confirmed because first of all, she jumped ship and she proved that she's not a person belongs to a party. But she's an American. We remember, Wow, she was put on a no fly list on and that was just like to mess with her. I also was very impressed when I saw that Pambondi was wasn't she swearing in Tulsa Gabbert. Also, I heard something silly today on another radio network where they said, I think the idea of buying this may be digressing, but buying Greenland is silly. But then I heard on another station that a few hundred thousand people in Denmark want to buy California. So it's getting to be like a joke whatever.
Speaker 2: And it's a little off topic here, but let's get back to the moment in Sorry, it seems to me that we have a sea change in our foreign policy now. It doesn't surprise me, but clearly Ukraine tonight must feel on a lot less solid foundation with the United States based upon what Hexath said in Europe today and what President Trump has said about his relationship and his phone call with Putin.
Speaker 13: Well, we feel that, I mean in this household, we feel that the Ukrainians had something on Joe Biden and he was he was not giving them any guidance, any tutelage.
Speaker 12: He was just it was in a way, it was like giving some extortion money. I think the Ukrainian I don't buy.
Speaker 2: I don't buy that. And again, unless you can prove it. It's well your opinion. Thank you for telling me it's your opinion. But how how do you feel Zelinsky is going to respond to this? I mean, Zelinsky is sort of the you got, you know, two superpowers, Russia and the US are going to in effect decide the fate of his country. He's not going to like this.
Speaker 12: Well, he's probably not going to like it. And one thing we've learned from this situation is that the Ukrainians are very tough and this war could go on forever, could actually go on forever. So I like the idea of Donald Trump using his magic to say, let's talk, all right, because a lot of Russians and a lot of Ukrainians dying, okay, and nobody wanted. I don't have anything against Russians, so I'd like peace. But I do make a comparison between this and Neville Chamberlain nineteen thirty eight, when they gave up Czechoslovakia peace in our time and it didn't do anything. So I'm gonna say Neville Chamberlain is Joe Biden and Donald Trump is doing a hell of a job.
Speaker 2: And I believe if if you want to talk about I mean I don't think Biden was Neville Chamberlain. Biden provided the support that Zelensky needed. Now, he didn't give Zelensky everything Zelensky wanted at the time Lelensky wanted it, but he gave him. He gave him enough to keep help keep Ukraine in the game. And as a matter of fact, Ukraine now occupies part of Russia's territory and what's called the I.
Speaker 12: Was seriously worried that we might give them weapons, which would Russia would say, we're going to remember they talked originally about using tactical nuclear all right, and if people are not aware of it, in a nuclear war, nobody wins, all right, no.
Speaker 2: Question, No, I don't think there's any question about that one. Marty, Hey, thank you for your calling. I appreciate your point of view. Thanks Marty, talk.
Speaker 12: Later, good program as always, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, Thank you very much, appreciate it. Let me go to Rachel. Rachel, You're next on Nightside. Welcome.
Speaker 4: Oh hey, Dan, I've been listening and I'm like, wow. And when I called in, I said to Rob, I said, I really would love.
Speaker 3: To hear what Seeing's opinion is of It's this whole thing and I and I know you listen to everybody's opinion, but.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Well, I look at it as and I'm commenting on it as the Trump administration, when when you know President Trump was running for office, I think everyone knew that that he is much He's more in a tradition of an isolationist Republican, Okay, and that is where he is here. And I think he feels that he can deal with Putin and that he'd rather deal with him strategically and economically and not militarily. And at this point Ukraine is I think, going to be the odd man out here. I don't think that Trump would allow Putin to get into Ukraine and take the country over, But I think he's going to prevail upon Putin to agree to some terms to end the war, which I think is going to be more favorable Russia than they are to Ukraine, to be honest with you, particularly in view of the loss of life that you I mean, Ukraine has. They're fought valiantly for three years, but we in America are not. Are never in it for the long haul, as we found out in Vietnam and as we found out in the Middle East. In Afghanistan and Iraq. We go in there with guns blazing, and once once things get bogged down, support for the for the effort leaves. And I think, remember three years ago, everybody had Ukrainian flags on their car, or on their house, or on the fence around the house. You don't see much of those Ukrainian flags anymore. Yeah, And I think that Trump is right the room, and I think that people are gonna He's going to come out of it as the peacemaker he made. Trump may win a Nobel Peace Prize if he can get Zelenski and Putin, who hate each other, to agree to cease cease this war and this war and cease hostilities.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and I agree in I'm like, I'm not a political person, but I'm like, you know, definitely not a political person. But I feel more safe with Trump in office than I did with Biden.
Speaker 2: No, I understand, and and I've talked to you before. I know that you pretty much are a Trump person. And I think that at this point, for this war to continue into the fourth year, we're coming up of the third anniversary, who benefits from that? I don't think anyone does. And I think that the terms of the agreement is that Ukraine will have to withdraw from the Russian territory they now occupy. And I think Ukraine is going to have to give up any hope and aspiration of reclaiming Crimea or reclaiming, reclaiming, reclaiming that portion that Russia initially invaded in the eastern portion of Ukraine. Ukraine loses territory but remains in theory an independent nation, but an independent nation that sits in the shadow of Russia and with no hope of joining NATO. I mean that that option was taken off the table today by the new Secretary of Defense.
Speaker 4: May I ask you something so and I get, you know what, I am not like a Facebook person whatever, but I get a lot of like whatever the fake news for acts, you know what I mean, stuff that's not true. It's like, who do you believe?
Speaker 10: That's the whole well, you have to believe.
Speaker 2: It's pretty simple, Rachel. I think you have to get out of whatever ilo you might be in, and you've got to look at points of view that you agree with and points of view disagree with. And then there are uh newspapers that have fact checking and do it legitimately.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: I talked last night about the Washington Post doing some fact checking on the claims of excesses of the us ai AI D Agency uh and and and they said, yes, some of them were true, some of them was substantially true. You can find you can find stuff out, and you have to use your own your own judgment. At the end of the day, who do you trust? You know? You just like you. You have a group of people who you trust as friends, and you probably know some people who you wouldn't want to be within your friendship circle. You have to apply that same principle. Got to use your gun, got to use your instinct, and and you got to you gotta test test your beliefs. Well, thanks, Rachel, I very much appreciate that. I really do, and I hope I've explained a couple of things that maybe have helped a little Tonight, Rachel, I got a scoot because they got the ten thirty news looking at me. I really appreciate your college always.
Speaker 11: Thank you, God blessed Dan, you too.
Speaker 2: Right back at you, Rachel. Thanks again. Six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty, six seven nine three one, ten thirty. This was an important and significant day and I don't know that all of you appreciate the magnitude of this day. I'm not overstating it, but I'd love to hear your reaction again the release of this single hostage who had been in Russia for help. Prisoner wrongfully held hostage was released and returned to the White House about this time last night, and that could be the precursor to the ending of the war in Ukraine. I mean, this is the sort of thing that that Trump and putin build a bridge of trust and reliance. I don't know how the war in Ukraine continues much longer. I think President Trump has articulated that I would love to hear from you, whether you're a supporter of Donald Trump or not. I suspect most supporters would be happy with the direction that we've sensed in the last twenty four to forty eight hours. Maybe there are some people out there who look at Trump a little differently now on this. I don't know. Maybe some of you feel that Donald Trump is about to betray the Ukrainian people. Whatever your point of view, I have wide open lines six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. We've had great shows this week, and we've had great response from callers. Again, I'm not going to sit here and talk for an hour and a half. If I have to, I will. I want to hear from you. Are you more optimistic now that we may have an end to did the Ukraine War into the slaughter that has gone on now for three years? Are you concerned that we're going to be seen as basically leaving an ally in a death struggle with Putin? Can Donald Trump pull it off? Can Donald Trump get I mean, if you talk about two people who hate each other, put Putin and Zelensky in the same room, one of them's not coming out. You can't do that. But President Trumps, I believe. I think somehow, someway, he is going to bring these hostilities to a close. Maybe it won't be what we considered peace, but maybe the hostilities will come to a close. We'll be back on Night's side. Got the news here, Let's get it going, coming back right after.
Speaker 1: This night Side with Dan Ray Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, I know that there are those of you out there who feel that we have to stand by Ukraine no matter what, but it's pretty clear that this president is not one of those folks. And and he you know, he has a point of view. It's very different from Joe Biden's point of view. This is Donald Trump commenting last night about whether or not the release of this US hostage by Putin Mark Fogel might be an indicator that there's a way to solve the Russian Ukraine war. Cut three B, please Rob, this is the beginning of a deal, sir. This is the star.
Speaker 14: I think there's goodwill in terms of the war. You know, many and a half soldiers, young people have been killed.
Speaker 15: I've met many.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's uh.
Speaker 14: It's a terrible thing. On we want to get that done. I think I think this could be the very important element. You could be a big part of it, actually, because it could be a big important part of getting the war over with Ukraine. And we appreciate President Putin's what he what he did. He was able to pull it off for you, right, he was able to pull it off.
Speaker 2: We think, and you're here appreciate Putin. I mean, Putin was the guy that put Mark Fogel in jail in the first time, basically used as a pawn.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: There was also a Russian released. Let's get back to the calls.
Speaker 16: I do believe that that that we're a lot closer to the end of this war tonight than we have been at any.
Speaker 2: Time in the last three years. Who's up next, Mike and Beverly. Mike next on Night Side, Welcome.
Speaker 8: Hey, can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I can hear you. Find Mike. What's your take on all of this.
Speaker 8: I think it's a great move. I think it's just like like Trump says, YO, know, we've had enough of this war stuff, and then nothing is off this situation for more dead people, you know, who costs me a dollar a dax payer money for a war that that if Trump was in office, it would never happen, you know. And as far as the situation goes, as far as the beast ghast, it's gonna be about minerals. Ukraine has minerals that we want, and then there's gonna be uh some type of buy in that situation going on. With that situation, Dan, that's what I hurt tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you this. I don't think Zelensky's gonna be thrilled about this situation.
Speaker 8: I understand I can't be drilled, but it's gonna be sunded by me, how many how much more people can die in this situation? What has grown over? Man's nothing more. We're not gonna send me more money. It's all done you, I mean, just wrap it up.
Speaker 2: It can know it, you know, right, And again I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying it's easy for us to say, but it's gonna be a tough pill for for Zelensky. And maybe I don't know, maybe the Ukrainian people have had it, uh and they want this to be over. At the same time, they probably are looking back and saying, why did we go through this? Particularly if Russia then will will formally get possession of crime crimea uh, and also part of eastern Ukraine. I mean, I don't think Ukraine's coming out of this situation with more territory. They're gonna come out of it with less territory. And also many, you know, hundreds of top dead soldiers.
Speaker 11: I get it.
Speaker 8: Dan was just thinking of this. Then Charm's been office three weeks and I don't know if you're heard I president got released today. There was a journalist was.
Speaker 2: There was another American? Uh, maybe they're talking about a different person. There was released. There were three people released from Belarus, and I think that one of them was someone who was involved with Voice of America.
Speaker 11: You know, those are.
Speaker 8: Eleven released in the time trusts been in office. And like, what has Joe Biden done in a previous administration? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, he's President Trump has had a remarkably active and a remarkably successful first few weeks in office, There's no question about that. But today was a day when for the first time he changed his focus towards the international sphere, the international stage UH and he now has re established himself just today between the trip with the Defense Secretary in Europe, telling UH NATO leaders what they now have to do to defend themselves and making it clear that that Ukraine will never be or at least not in the short term a member of NATO. That that just the dynamics. Yeah, it's I mean, we both see it. We see it the same way. I just am always wondering, well, how is this gonna play? How is this gonna play? Donald Trump may end up getting a Nobel Peace Prize here, trust me alone.
Speaker 8: Another thing tonight, the same thing.
Speaker 15: I know.
Speaker 8: It's remarkable how much he's done, and you watched Tom Saturday. I heard tonight that Hamas might be surrendering. You watch because of the ten be so much first around the area that they're not gonna have no way They're gonna have to surrender. Are they gonna be?
Speaker 2: Well, here's the day. I don't think I would be very surprised that that. Will see. If that were to happen, that's great. I don't know who they would surrender to. They have just had hundreds thousands of fighters released, uh with the with the in exchange for the Israeli hostages. I would be a little skeptical at that prediction. Let me let me say that we'll see though, We'll see and if if that happens, Mike, I want you to call back here and take a victory lap and say Dan, I told you so.
Speaker 8: Okay, thanks, So you have a good one.
Speaker 2: You too, Thanks, Mike, appreciate it. All right, We'll keep rolling here. I get one line at six one seven, two, five four to ten thirty and one line at six one seven nine three one ten thirty. Let me say those just a little slower six one seven two five four ten thirty or six one seven nine three one ten thirty, Jim, I, Leen, and John. I'll get to you before the end of the hour. I promise, coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World nights Side Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go to Jim and Raynham. Jim, you were next to a Nightside. Appreciate you taking the time to call in. Go right ahead. What's your thought on all of this?
Speaker 15: Well, Ben, I'm gonna give it to you. As they say straight from the show over here, Ukraine will probably fall before the summer, and Volimir Zelenski and most of his top administration people will be killed. And when this happens, and this is the truth of the matter, these things don't happen in a vacuum.
Speaker 8: People think this is like, you.
Speaker 15: Know, there's this room in the house and there's this thing called Ukraine, and there's this war going on, and the people across the street don't have any idea what's going on. Well, the people across the street, there's a couple of them. When there's this country named China, and I predict if Ukraine falls too unprovoked Russian aggression Ukraine specifically, let's get some context here, Ukraine's typically did joint military maneuvers with Russia and with NATO specifically to show that they were neutral, and they didn't, and they specifically said we will not join NATO. And when there was talk about them joining NATO, when let.
Speaker 2: Me ask you this, Jim, to provide some context, Zelensky never said that, did he.
Speaker 15: I understand it, but Zolensky just clarify. But Zolensky specifically said, we're doing joint military exercises with NATO and with Russia to show our neutrality.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 15: And he's specific and I believe he was on the record as saying that Ukraine was not going to seek membership in NATO. There was no reason to because they believed Russia would respect their territorial imperative. And then when there was talk about Ukraine joining Russia in NATO, and it was just talk, and it was something that Putin said he had heard. So that's why they invaded Ukraine.
Speaker 8: But not to quibble over those things.
Speaker 15: The fact of the matter is is it was naked aggression, unprovoked, unjustified under any tenet of international law.
Speaker 2: I agreed. So I want you to get to the to your main point.
Speaker 15: Go ahead, all right, Well, main point is is if Ukraine falls, then I predict that China will invade Taiwan within two years. Korea will invade South Korea within two years, and Trump will do.
Speaker 11: Nothing to stop them.
Speaker 15: Okay, and you're looking at possibly World War three because Japan will probably get involved if North Korea aided by the Chinese, because they believe the United States will not act to save South Korea. All right, And as far as the money goes for the for the for the Ukraine War and the American support Court, I'll leave you with this. I would like anyone to call in and say to me that they believe there's a credible threat that America will face a land based military invasion and that's why we need that stuff. And it's already been paid for, so it isn't costing us to anything to send it to Ukraine to defend themselves.
Speaker 2: Well, we still have to replace what we sent, so I mean, and there were times during we.
Speaker 15: Had Dan We're not going to be invaded. Why do we need those weapons?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just telling you that. I'm telling you that that we we did replace that that weaponry, whether whether you like it or not. It's we do not deplete our stock and not replace it. All right, Look, Jim, I appreciate it. I think that the argument could also go the other way, and that is that if if Putin gets what he wants here and feels he's a little bit more protected, he's concerned about Russia, uh, he then might be able to we and we accommodate him. Trump might be thinking that maybe Putin can can put pressure on either China or North Korea to back off any designs they might have on on time on or on South Korea. But we'll see how it plays out. We'll see how it plays out, Jim. Interesting theory. Let's see if people react.
Speaker 11: We don't agree, Dan, I know.
Speaker 2: We don't agree, but that's what this shows about Jim.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I want to see if people calling and say, Jim's right, you put it out there and thank you for doing so.
Speaker 15: Thank you much, thank you, Thank you, Dan, have a great night.
Speaker 2: Thank you, John and Pavity. John next on Nightsager. Right ahead, Okay, I don't hear John. We can put John on hold. Come back to John in a moment. Let me go to Eileen. Eileen Next on Nightsager, right ahead, Eileen.
Speaker 10: Well, I am I think, uh that yes, maybe Trump should get the Nobel Peace Prize. I mean, I'm not uh sure that we should ever. I mean, I'm not as knowledgeable as the person you just spoke to. But I just look at the pictures of destruction in in the Ukraine, and how how can that what? What good has that done? I just I really, I am, I I don't I just don't understand why.
Speaker 2: Well, let me try, let me try to explain it. I think that that Putin was very concerned about the growing independence of Ukraine. Ukraine used to be obviously part of the Soviet Union, and when the Soviet Union fell apart, Putin said it was the greatest disaster of the twentieth century that the Soviet Union dissolved, And so he looks at everything through that lens, and he felt that if he could take back or reassert control of Ukraine, it would go a long way into restoring the glory of the Soviet Union, and maybe he could piece the Soviet Union back together. I don't think he'll ever be able to do that, but if he feels at the end of the day here that he got some sort of a victory from Ukraine, meaning Crimea, which Ukraine still claims Russia took from Meia by force in twenty fourteen when Obama was president, and they took eastern Ukraine the so called Dombas region when Biden was president. If somehow someway He's allowed to keep those two territories, he can say, well, it was worth it. I think that's what this is all about. And I think that's the concessions that President Trump will have to force Zelinsky to accept. Tough thing for Zelinsky and the Ukrainian people to swallow. But I think we're seeing the beginning of that plan in the in the last twenty four to forty eight hours.
Speaker 10: Okay, Well, I just think it's horrible when I see.
Speaker 2: Or everybody so much. Yeah, and for what end. I mean, maybe they could have they could have avoided all of the bloodshed if Ukraine was counseled three years ago to surrender a little portionately. And I don't know. I mean, it's it's it's way beyond my pay grade. And I can only tell you what I think, and sometimes my thinking changes. I know that there's going to be a lot of people in this country who are going to be thrilled that that war is over, and there are a lot of people in this country who are not going to be that war is over.
Speaker 10: Well, I'm I'm one of those who thrilled because I.
Speaker 12: Really did it great.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks, I appreciate the call. Thank you so much.
Speaker 10: Okay, all right, thanks Dan.
Speaker 2: Let me try to get back to John and Peeby. Don't know where John was before, but hopefully he's back now, John, go right ahead.
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, Dan, I was saying hello, Hello, But that's a cell phone world.
Speaker 2: Well you might have you probably had as speed. I bet you had me on speakerphone and then you hit the mute button. But that that's that's that's in the past. Let's go. Uh, what would you like to say? All is god? John?
Speaker 11: I think there's one important factor here that hasn't been discussed good and that is oil. Uh and inflation. Inflation report today was not good. Trump's tariffs. Even Trump must realize that tariffs are horribly inflationary, and he would like to lower the cost of energy. So if Russia could be brought back into the fold of civilized countries and the restrictions would come off exports of energy, oil and gas to Western Europe. It would diminish energy prices, which would serve Trump's interest in trying to be an inflation hero.
Speaker 2: So yeah, which is in the interest of all of us. By the way oil today was done, I think a buck and a half. It's seventy one dollars a barrel. I never want to see it back up to one point fifty as it was at one point. Let's keep it, Let's keep it below seventy if we can.
Speaker 11: So. I think in analyzing or considering what Trump may force Ukraine to do, and maybe it isn't as fair an outcome for Ukraine, and we tend to be sympathetic to Ukraine. Just I guess my point is, don't forget that there's any energy advantage to the United States. And if if, if Ukraine and Zelensky have to take a lump that they don't like to take, I think Trump would say, well, okay, too bad for them, But look what's happening to the oil, and that's good for me.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, I think I think that that could be very much a motivating factor here. But we're going to see this play out, and I think it's going to be fascinating to watch and if it does end the hostilities and it saves some people lives, he very well might be in line for the for the Nobel Peace Prize. As to Boot, So, I mean, who could who would have imagined? I mean, Joe Biden must be sitting home in Delaware saying everything is breaking Trump's way right now, and I think it is.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm I'm sure that that's exactly what what Biden.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Hey, John, thanks so much much. Do me a favor become a more regular caller. I enjoyed the spin you put on it, and it's interesting you took us in a different direction, and that's what this show should be all about. All points of view and welcome. Thanks Sean, appreciate it. I'll tell you that, talk to you soon. All right. To those in the line, Tim and Rick, you guys stay there. If not, folks know what the numbers are, I don't even have to tell you. This is what I'd like to talk about between now and midnight. I want to keep us ahead of the curve. I think that we are beginning to move very quickly toward an end to hostilities, maybe not peace, but an end to hostilities in Ukraine. And I think it might happen more quickly than any of us can imagine. What do you have to say back on NIGHTSID after this