Speaker 1: Callaroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: All right, this is the Tuesday, September twenty third Jimmy Kimmel bonus episode. Jimmy's Show is back tonight. Just to clean up the feed. There was a normal episode this morning. Around noon, I dropped an hour long episode with Mark Malkoff from the Late Night Podcast. We talked about this stuff a little bit, mostly about Johnny Carson, and this is the bonus episode. If you are a new listener who has recently discovered the show. Normally I do one of these a day, seven days a week. It is called Daily Comedy News, and I am Johnny Mack. Deadline reports that tonight's return of Jimmy Kimmel to Late Night was the result of days of meetings and negotiations with top Disney executives. They only figured this out on Monday around three Eastern was when the news came out. The conversations were between Disney CEO Bob Iger, who many are saying has really tarnished his legacy with this Kimmel move. Disney entertained Mint chief Dana Walden, Jimmy Kimmel, and Jimmy's team. An insider toil Deadline, there was always a desire to do the best dating for the company. Yeah, you think. There was apparently a last minute flurry of paperwork, techts and calls with team Jimmy Kimmel. What will Jimmy say tonight? A source says Jimmy will say what Jimmy wants to say. It is believed there are no restrictions on that. Personally, I'm expecting Jimmy to clarify what he meant by the controversial remarks, and I think he will give a very thoughtful response. I don't think you're going to get what you might have gotten out of say John Stewart here. I think he'll get a very thoughtful monologue tonight. We will see, and of course I will cover that on Wednesday in a bonus episode. Deadline reports people in Hollywood were not happy about this. One source called it a pseudo suspension. They also quote a Hollywood power player saying it became such a mess the only solution for all sides was to get this over with sooner rather than later. As I record this on Tuesday, I have not seen any sort of reaction yet from the President of the United Slime States. The show's staff found out around the same time we did. A staffer tells people, we received an email from the executive producer with the good news. It was shortened to the point just sharing the good news and telling us to come to work on Tuesday. That person said they were surprised that it happened all of a sudden. They thought this would drag out a little bit. The staffer says his coworkers had relief and joy across the board. Myself and my colleagues are overjoyed. Can't wait to see Tuesday's monologue on The Daily Show. Was John Stewart's time behind the desk? By the way, you guys gave him a free pass for jumping on the desk last week on Thursday. I know we all love John Stewart, but if Jay Leno stole the desk from Desi Lidick, you guys would have lost your mind. Fair's fair, guys. Anyway, John Stewart had this to say, No, Kim's coming back.
Speaker 3: That campaign and I you know what I'm joking around. I want to say this seriously. That campaign that you all launched pretending that you were going to cancel Hulu while secretly racing through four seasons of only in the building that really worked. Congratulations. It wasn't it interesting to try and figure out all the tentacles Disney has in your daily life. It's one thing to swear off cruises, but the Avengers. No, how is it possible that by getting rid of one company, I can't watch Winnie the Pooh or Monday Night Football or listen to early Hillary Duff So yesterday, I would sing more of it. Obviously, Disney is very litigious.
Speaker 2: Stephen Colbert also commented this. He refers to in this clip is his Emmy.
Speaker 1: We do like one hundred and sixty of these a year or something, And you know, when I have the chance, it's always nice to start the show with some good news. Well, just a few hours before we tape this broadcast, we got word that our long national Late Nightmare is over because Disney announced that Jimmy kim Alive will return to Well, I just see tomorrow Thursday Night. Come on, what.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir?
Speaker 1: As well, they said me, this is I just couldn't have just wonderful news for my dear friend Jimmy and his amazing stat they get into the show. That's you know, I'm so happy for them. Plus now that Jimmy's not being canceled. I get to enjoy this again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Discussed once more. I am the only martyr and late Nights great unless CBS you want to announce anything.
Speaker 2: In the course of my travels, didn't see anything from Jimmy Fallon. I have to check. Jimmy did do a Tonight show on Sunday night, so it's possibly Monday was a rerun seth Meyers said, we make jokes about politicians and people in the news, including Joe Biden. It was just harder with Joe Biden because he didn't say much. You Trump, on the other hand, talk all the time. You never stopped talking. You didn't stop talking when he was president. You talk more than all the other presidents combined. Ever, people say Johnny Carson didn't make this many jokes about politics, but he would have if every time he spoke Ronald Reagan did fifteen minutes on how toilets didn't flush well anymore. FCC Chairman Brendan Carr said, Jimmy Kimmel is in the situation that he is because of his ratings, not because of anything that's happened at the federal government level. Sure, Jan Chairman Carr was at the twenty twenty five Concordia Annual Summit. Listen to this crap. I'm not gonna pull my bunch here. Listen to this crap. Carr said, what I spoke about last week is that when concerns are raised about news distortion, there's an easy way for parties to address that and work that out. In the main that takes place between local television stations that are licensed by the FCC and what we call national programmers like Disney. They work that out and there doesn't need to be any involvement of the FCC. He adds, then now if they don't, there's a way that's not as easy, which as someone can file a complaint at the FCC, and then the FCC, by law I set up by Congress, has to educate that complaint. And when I've been very clear in the context of the Kimmel episode is the FCC and myself in particular have expressed no view on the ultimate merits. Yeah, because Carl said, frankly, when you see stuff like this, I mean, we could do this the easy way or the hard way. These companies can find ways to change conduct, to take action. Frankly, on Kimmel, or there's going to be additional work for the FCC ahead. Look, there's calls for Kimmel to be fired. You could certainly see a path forward for suspension over this. This is previously Again, the FCC is going to have remedies that we can look at. We may ultimately be called to be a judge on that right sure. By the way, a Google search of the phrase Joe Rogan Kimmel at eight fifty four Easter in This Morning turned up nothing. One of the comparisons with Jimmy Kiml returning tonight is when Jack Parr walked off the Tonight Show on February eleventh, nineteen sixty. Parr walked off because the night before they had cut one of his jokes. His joke was about WC. Now, younger people are like, huh, well, WC is water closet. Younger people are like, huh, what's that? A water closet is a bathroom. It's nineteen sixty. We're not joking about bathrooms on the air. We've come a long way. Everyone. Parr sat at his desk on the Tonight Show and said, if you read some of the newspapers, you think I had committed a terrible obscenity. The whole thing has gotten out of hand, but the damage has been done not only to the Tonight Show but to me personally. I've been wrestling with my conscience all day. I'm leaving the Tonight Show. There must be a better way of making a living than this. There's a way of entertaining people without being constantly involved in some form of controversy, which is on me all the time. It's rough on my wife and child, and I don't need it. I believe it was let down by this network at a time when I could have used their help. Parr got up, shook hands with announcer Hugh Down, and then Downs had to wing the show. Down said, I told Jack when he first mentioned to me he intended to do what he said. I wish he wouldn't do it. So my hope this isn't final. Jack does things hastily at times that he doesn't hold on too. I hope he can be putting his mind back to the show because he built it. Downs then hosted the show with guess orson Bean, Shelley Berman and Genevieve Downs hosted the show's next eight episodes, and then Arlene Francis hosted a week. Jack Parr returned to the Tonight Show on March seventh, strolled on stage, took a beat, and said, as I was saying before I was interrupted, which is one of the all time late night lines, it might you know what probably is the number one line. Par then continued, when I walked off, I said, there must be a better way of making a living. Well, I've looked, and there isn't. That is Jimmy Kimmel. A bonus episode All eyes on Jimmy Kimmel tonight all right in the morning, normal episode, and then I'll have a Kimmel for you, and I'll probably also have a bonus episode with Jason Zinnemann from The New York Times, who I was planning on recording with on Tuesday morning. So keep checking that feed lot going on. Thanks for listening.