Speaker 1: And now for our weekly visit with a genial doctor Watson. Good evening, Doctor.
Speaker 2: Good evening was to Foreman, come in and thank you.
Speaker 1: You're looking particularly comfortable tonight, doctor, feed up on the sofa, and puppy is asleep on your lap.
Speaker 2: Yes, my boy. The three of us went for a long walk on the beach this afternoon. Monkey and Winnie had a running battle with the seagulls. The consequence they have been faster sleep ever since.
Speaker 1: Because oh, I hope you're not too tired, doctor, I'm counting on a.
Speaker 3: New Sherlock home story, you know, No, no.
Speaker 2: No, I'm already for you, mister Foreman. In fact, I was going through my notes on the case just for you.
Speaker 1: Ride well last week you told us it concerned a strange society who held their meetings in an underground ball of the furniture warehouse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, by boy, now win no, no, no, no. The story we live agan one storm in November nineteen, eighteen hundred and eighty seven. I was marriaged at the time and living away from Baker Street. On this night in question, my wife had already gone to bed, and I was nodding in front of the par over one of Clark Russell's fine sea stories. I had a very tarling day. I remember it was about the hour that a man gives his first yawn and glances to the clock. And suddenly my front door bell jangle discordantly. A servant Edna had gone up to bed. So I crossed to the window and opened it. It was the littly dark, and I could just see the outcline of a figure scanning on my doorstep. It looked like a woman. Suddenly, a cultivated voice called up to me. Uh, yes, madam, I'm the doctor.
Speaker 4: And death I have a carryin.
Speaker 2: Oh right, all right, I'll be down immediately. I closed the window, scribbled an oue to my wife, wrapped my coat and hat and my bag, and a few minutes later I stepped out of the front door and closed it behind me. Carriage was standing at the curb, but I couldn't see any trace of the lady you called Bert. The only person in sight was an old and impossive look at bigger woman dressed in rags and tatters. After a moment of bewilderment, I spoke, uh, woman, did you see a lady leave here?
Speaker 4: A moment ago no, doctor, she didn't leave. She's still waiting for you.
Speaker 2: Oh forgive me, madam, But who's the order? I thought you're a beggar woman.
Speaker 4: There is any time to discuss that.
Speaker 5: Now, please get in this carriage.
Speaker 6: Where's the driver I'm going to drive? Please get in.
Speaker 2: Business. Are you sure that you can handle those horses? Madam?
Speaker 4: Of course I can.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I wish you'd tell me the way you're driving, man.
Speaker 4: Please don't ask me anymore. Don't mind up.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank heavens, we've finally reached our destinations to have liven halfway across London.
Speaker 7: Hello.
Speaker 2: Hello, must be somewhere down near the river. No dwelling places here, nothing but enormous ware. Uh why we stopped here, madam?
Speaker 8: Steps?
Speaker 2: I wish you'd tell me where you're taking.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 4: We have a club here in the business. I see for yourself.
Speaker 2: Been a solid looking door. How do you propose to get fasted?
Speaker 4: I'd show you.
Speaker 2: Lord, must be very secret club of yours, madam. It is done. Oh knocks number seven.
Speaker 4: Heave the password to the lentns.
Speaker 2: You may enter.
Speaker 6: Follow me, doctor, yeah, not of my I don't wish you.
Speaker 2: Tell me where you're taking man. This looks like the entrance to an opium. There, norah a thieves kitchen.
Speaker 5: Don't worry, doctor, You're in no danger. There Does that look like a thieves kitchen?
Speaker 2: Great Scott, I don't blame my eyes. Like curiously furnished room. What a strange collection of people. Some look like beggars, others in full evening dress.
Speaker 8: Amazing number seven always this man the doctor I went to kitchen. I thought, I said there were to be no strangers.
Speaker 2: Good man. I've been extremely patient, but my temper is beginning to wear a little thin. Either let me see your patient at once or show me out. My time is valuable and I don't propose to waste it.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, doctor. Where is Julian?
Speaker 8: He's in the back room.
Speaker 2: And if you know what's good for you, doctor.
Speaker 8: Whatever you call yourself, you'll forget everything you see in here.
Speaker 2: You're not the least interested in your blasted club. Just take me to the patient.
Speaker 8: This is the man we wants you to examine.
Speaker 3: Doctor.
Speaker 2: What happened he fell.
Speaker 4: Down the stairs leading into the club.
Speaker 2: Room or why'd you move him?
Speaker 8: We wanted him to be comfortable.
Speaker 2: It's the worst thing in the world you could have done. Never never move a person with an injured skull.
Speaker 4: Is it going to be all right?
Speaker 2: Doctor, Madam? He isn't his next broken. He's dead. Sure of that, doctor, because I'm sure of it, My good man. I'm afraid you need an undertaker, not a doctor.
Speaker 8: Must tell the others.
Speaker 2: I wired everybody.
Speaker 8: Julian is dead.
Speaker 3: Julia dead.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is terrible.
Speaker 3: Who is this man?
Speaker 2: The doctor?
Speaker 4: I better get him out of here at once.
Speaker 8: We don't want any strangers nosing about it. That's right, though, should not bother me anyway.
Speaker 2: Gentlemen, I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, I haven't the slightest desire to stay here one moment longer. If you direct me to the door again, Madam, I'll try to find a cab myself and this doctor's taking just took and go home.
Speaker 8: Show him out and give him his money.
Speaker 4: Follow me.
Speaker 2: I'm delighted to.
Speaker 4: Do you mind if I don't drive you home?
Speaker 2: Doctor who No, I should prefer it. My nerves aren't in the best of shape.
Speaker 4: You mustn't be angry with me, doctor, Please weaving again?
Speaker 2: Number seven?
Speaker 4: No, but this gentleman is will you see if you can find.
Speaker 2: A cab for him to whom shall I send in my bill?
Speaker 5: Madam, here's a five pound note that should copy your time in trouble, shouldn't.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's far too much, madam.
Speaker 5: No, doctor, it's late at night and it hasn't been a very pleasant case for you.
Speaker 6: Please take it.
Speaker 2: Kind of very jealous indeed. But by the way, how did you happen to come to me in the first place?
Speaker 5: I was driving about looking for a doctor and a policeman directed me to your house.
Speaker 2: Found a cab. Thank you man, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Doctor. May I come round in the morning for a death certificate?
Speaker 2: Of course, because you remember my address?
Speaker 4: Yes, but I don't know your name?
Speaker 2: Watson, Doctor, Watson.
Speaker 5: Doctor, what's not not a doctor Watson who's associated with Shellack Holmes?
Speaker 2: That is that you know of me?
Speaker 5: Good night, doctor, and please forget about everything you've seen.
Speaker 2: Mh on my soul. An amazing business homes will be interested to hear about this. And that's the way it was, Holmes, one of the most curious adventures I ever held.
Speaker 9: Without you interesting Watson, you say the sun gown cellar was luxuriously furnished.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the people there were an amazing mixture. Some were in rags and some in evening dress like the Nisser rime. Eh, some in rags and some in tags, and some in velvet gown. Exactly give me the feeling that I was taking part in the story out of the Oragan nights. I must say, though I was pretty angry at the time. However, after a good night's versta, I feel quite differently this morning. But I thought i'd just drop around and tell you all about it.
Speaker 4: Dad.
Speaker 3: You did, my deaf fellow.
Speaker 9: It would be interesting to see if any repercussions.
Speaker 3: If you are a strange adventure Richards, Oh.
Speaker 2: I doubt it. The woman seemed frightened the death when I mentioned your name.
Speaker 9: We shall see. Meanwhile, I'm expecting a planned They're not too busy.
Speaker 3: Perhaps you can stay.
Speaker 2: No like very much. Who is it in diagram?
Speaker 9: Will tell you much more than I can arrive analgo tell me look.
Speaker 2: See at your lodgings this morning to discuss our problem. Signed amst. The high handed message be at your lodgings, so please. I suppose am S stands for.
Speaker 3: I'm just tying with that problem when you arrived.
Speaker 2: Could it be the American Medical.
Speaker 3: School no, no, there's no such body.
Speaker 9: It's the American Medical Association RGARO. A tone of the message inclines me to believe that the age stands for Amateur very.
Speaker 2: Possibly Amateur mascul.
Speaker 9: Society or the Amateur Murderers. Would be a nice spot, wouldn't it. And as there representative, now no doubt to save us the guess work homes.
Speaker 2: It looks like the same carriage as I drove in last night. The girl standing on your door just hight of fashion.
Speaker 3: Hudson's splendid.
Speaker 9: It seems that we have not heard the end of your adventure. Go and meet the lady at the top of the stairs. Well you happen save missus Hudson's wakes, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, Thank you all right, come me in, madam.
Speaker 3: To your service, madam?
Speaker 5: When down im Lady Dorothy Brownly, it's your voice.
Speaker 2: You're the lady who fetched me last night. Just up as a bigger woman.
Speaker 5: Yes I am, doctor Watson. Forgive me for being so mysterious at the time.
Speaker 9: Doubtless you have come to consult me regarding last night's unfortunate accident at the Amateur Mendicant Society.
Speaker 4: Did you know what the initials stood for mister Home.
Speaker 9: After hearing Doctor Watson's story of last night's happening, the connotation seemed obbyous.
Speaker 4: Am I right perfectly?
Speaker 5: Last night when Doctor Watton told us Julian was dead, we thought it was an accident.
Speaker 3: And now you think it is a murder.
Speaker 9: Eh, Lady Brahmeette, if you expect my help, there must be no more mystery. Just what is this amateur Mendican society?
Speaker 4: I'm as stray.
Speaker 5: It will be a little hard for you to understand our motives with a group of people, rather wealthy people. I suppose we find pleasure in deliberately leading a seamy life disguised as beggars. We use the basement the Jurion last night, doctor is our headquarters. We keep our beggars closed there and change out of them before we go home.
Speaker 9: Fantastic I a futile, worthless way of spending your leisure time, Lady Brahnette.
Speaker 5: I suppose it must seem so may to Holmes. But we are curious to learn how the other half lives. And of course there's a certain thrill in rubbing shoulders with the police.
Speaker 3: At least we.
Speaker 4: Do some good.
Speaker 3: Indeed, I should be interested to.
Speaker 5: Learn how all the money we make as beggars we give to charity.
Speaker 9: Oh do you really and you feel that this gesture on your part of all from any responsibility to the real beggars whose livelihood you are impairing.
Speaker 4: I hadn't thought of it just like that. No, then I suppose you won't want to help us.
Speaker 3: Oh that's quite another matter, madam.
Speaker 9: And as a professional detective, I cannot afford to be a modelist.
Speaker 3: Yes, I will investigate this case for you, though.
Speaker 9: I warn you my fee will be an extremely high one.
Speaker 5: Money isn't important, mister Holmes, as long as we can solve Julian's death without bringing the police into the king.
Speaker 3: Who is the dead man? The man you referred to as Julian.
Speaker 4: Julian treppor the poet. He was the one who started out design.
Speaker 3: I've read some of his work.
Speaker 2: What makes you think that he was murdered?
Speaker 5: Liny bran La you left last night, Doctor Watson. There was a terrible scene you in never cydny hold.
Speaker 2: He's a big fellow who is sawn pleasanter.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's the one.
Speaker 5: He said that he saw Lord Cecil deliberately tripped Julian as he came to.
Speaker 9: The head of the staircase, Lord Cecil being.
Speaker 5: Lord set appearing son of the Earl of Lusham. There was a bitter argument, says to the huge Sydney doing the same thing. Then they had a dreadful fight. It ended up with Sepper thretting to go to the police. But that's when we decided to send a telegram to you.
Speaker 9: So the proof of murder depends on such climsy evidence as to whether the dead man fell or well, we say, push what it seems.
Speaker 5: Like, mister Holmes, even though you don't approve, Please help.
Speaker 8: Us, won't you?
Speaker 3: Yes, Lady Browney, I will.
Speaker 4: Will you come back with me? Now? Do I headquarter him?
Speaker 3: I will join you within the hour. In the meantime, my old friend doctor Watson can go with you.
Speaker 2: What could I do without you?
Speaker 3: You know my method?
Speaker 8: Don't chat back tocording there very well, but you promise you'll be there.
Speaker 3: I promise you that I will be there, madam.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, mister Holmes. We'll be expecting you.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: I'll just get my hat and coat home.
Speaker 3: What do you want to go with her?
Speaker 9: And ask no more questions as I will join you within the hour.
Speaker 2: In your eye. I don't think you believe.
Speaker 3: Her story, of course I don't watch.
Speaker 8: Well and work and go with it, old fellow, and keep your.
Speaker 3: Wits about you. The game's a foot.
Speaker 1: The story of the Amateur Mendican Society will continue in just a few seconds time. I'd like to use to remind you that you're really missing something until you try having wine with your dinner, and I meet a Petree wine. Let's say a Petrie California Burgundy or a Petrie California Soul turned. Both wines are just made to make good food taste better. If you like a red wine, try Petri Burgundy, try it with hamburger, with stew, with any meat or meat dish. And if you like a delicious white wine, a wine that'll make chicken taste better than ever, try a well chilled Petrie so turned with food. Nothing can take the place of a good pet Tree wine. And now back to tonight's her Lockholm's adventure. The Amateur Mendicant Society, a group of wealthy eccentrics who posed as beggars, have come to Sherlock Holmes and doctor Watson with a problem. One of their members has apparently been murdered, and the famous Pair have been asked to investigate the killings. As we rejoin our story, doctor Watson, still awaiting the arrival of the Great Detective, is cross questioning three of the members at the headquarters of this unusual But I.
Speaker 2: Don't find your story very convincing, don't you. Now?
Speaker 8: Let's suppose you stop asking questions until Sherlock Holmes gets here. He's the man we've engaged to settle his business, not you. We're paying for his services, not those of his assistant.
Speaker 2: Mister Holmes asked me to conduct this preliminary investigation. My good man, I'm perfect familiar with his methods, So keep a civil toanue in your head if you want us to continue with his case.
Speaker 8: I'm not answering any more questions till he gets Here's potablefuler, Lord.
Speaker 2: Cecil, you say that you saw Holt delibered to tip the dead man as he came down the stairs last night, Yes, I did, well? Where were you standing her at the head.
Speaker 3: Of the staircase.
Speaker 1: It was beside me, and as Julian came by, he deliberately Please.
Speaker 10: Excuse me, Number eleven, excuse me?
Speaker 3: What is it there?
Speaker 2: Is a strange man.
Speaker 8: Just come in.
Speaker 10: He is stressed as you when you work. But I do not remember to have seen him here before. He speaks very rough. Did he get the correct signal? Yes, I'm the passport.
Speaker 4: He must be a new member, and I suppose.
Speaker 8: You better see him bring him in a bad time for to come here? Please wait, please saw.
Speaker 2: Me you got here?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well not right?
Speaker 2: Let me do yourself. Praud out chair. Who are you and how did you get in here?
Speaker 3: I'll give you a signal on the passport? Just look Julian tell me too. You're a friend of Julian? Whose I am? You're go going to meet him here to die?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 8: Are you really?
Speaker 2: All friends? Here?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 9: You can talk freely and permit me to introduce my said, I am Don Louis Jose Fernando at job studies.
Speaker 8: Why why do you want to join us? When Julian tell me about it?
Speaker 2: Well? It particular?
Speaker 3: Mind how you say? Are not funny gone?
Speaker 9: There's a sort of charming idea I could see another of Mendicantee.
Speaker 3: I suppose he's all right, thick bo time, All right? Now, where is Julian piece? He will vouch for me.
Speaker 8: He's in the other room. They had an accident and.
Speaker 3: I couldn't not the bad one, A very bad.
Speaker 8: One there was, and you better take him in there and break the news to him.
Speaker 2: We'll follow me.
Speaker 7: This is terrible.
Speaker 3: Please tell me what happened.
Speaker 2: Doctor yourself for the shocks.
Speaker 7: Your friend is dead head, his neck was sproken.
Speaker 2: Last night and some brawl.
Speaker 3: Except that, I do believe this is an accident.
Speaker 8: Homes, but not quietly enough, mister Sherlock Holmes, come on, come back to the others and let all take a look at you. Come on, get moving, both of you. This isn't a pop gun in my hands.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Homes are holding away.
Speaker 8: Oh, Cassil Dorothy, come here. I wanted to take a look at the great Sherlock Holmes walked into our trap, just like any stupid policeman. Now I had a dress up to do.
Speaker 2: It that, mister Olmes.
Speaker 3: We were waiting for you here anyway. You know I'm well aware of admister Holt. You see I knew I was walking into.
Speaker 4: A trap, did you know that, mister hol.
Speaker 9: Lady Brownie, the story you brought was today was so obviously a false one, just as there is no amateur mendicant society.
Speaker 8: Holmes, who heard miss Lms tell him, I see how much you really do? Now, why star to tell you what you already know on talk? If you know what's good for you?
Speaker 9: You're so persuasive, Aunt, mister Holt very well. Undoubtedly Julian Trevor's dead last night was an accident. You fetched the doctor, Lady Browney a very actual move, and later discovered that the doctor in question was the old friend of Dolock Holmes.
Speaker 3: We're all afraid that I.
Speaker 9: Would become interested in your unusual society until you invented that very thin story about the accident being a murder. You wanted to lure me here so that I could be this pose doll, and you could all continue your nefarious works without hindurance.
Speaker 8: Now aren't we clever? What is on a farious work? May I ask?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Password?
Speaker 9: Gave me a two for the lanterns by the French revolutionists, They strung the aristocrats up on the lamp posts. Then again, the combination of curious costumes and a luxurious establishment in a low class area posed another question. What political belief provides a common meeting ground for misguided aristocrats and dangerous commoners, and how did you.
Speaker 3: Answer that question?
Speaker 9: Or it is imple, my DearS, one word nihilism, its doctrine of assassination and overthrow of government. To find every chance of being put into practice by all of you at the forthcoming Jubileus celebrations to be held here in London, and also with a count for your beggars clothes. A beggar would have greater.
Speaker 3: Freedom of movement in a cloud than an ordinary person. You're a clever man, mister Holmes. Too bad, you'll have to die.
Speaker 2: I'll get the roll.
Speaker 4: What are you going to do with him?
Speaker 8: Do give him my first hand to to nihilism. Of course, I can't live.
Speaker 2: I know too much. You can't possibly do this. You know the police will track us her.
Speaker 8: By the time the police get here, you and your friend Homes will be blown.
Speaker 3: The kingdom come.
Speaker 8: And to gather. Mister Holmes, Oh my risk of mind?
Speaker 3: We know it isn't that a shame?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 8: There's any better fool. Tie up the doctor cecil while I bind Homes as legs.
Speaker 4: I can't go through with this.
Speaker 8: Remain daughter, you can't go through it.
Speaker 4: I just cants ten by and stay too innocent.
Speaker 2: Then murder.
Speaker 4: Don't be a fool on they We can't let them live.
Speaker 2: They know too much, don't you.
Speaker 4: If you go on with this, I'm going out for the police.
Speaker 8: You tie up as well, cecil, let me alone besides.
Speaker 2: And go on.
Speaker 4: You're the devil.
Speaker 8: Shut up now, mister Holmes. I'm going to fetch a little invention, a little invention.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you'll be interested.
Speaker 8: Mister Holmes, it's a pity you and your friend didn't learn to mind your own business.
Speaker 9: I'm afraid it's too late to teach an old dog.
Speaker 3: You tricks.
Speaker 8: Too late now at any rate, quite comfortable, doctor watch, don't.
Speaker 2: You speak to me. You're a filtered traitor to your comfort of rubbish.
Speaker 8: Here we are example of Mikhail Petrov's mechanical genius. This bomb will blow the entire building sky high. The three of you are with it, nah, I wind the time clock so and set the fuse to go off in in five minutes. Will give us plenty of time to get away.
Speaker 2: So come on, siting, let's get out.
Speaker 8: Of your ride. Charming. Picture three of your bound hand and foot sitting beside each other on the sofa.
Speaker 2: Tada, doorth it?
Speaker 8: Think of our cause during the five minutes ask for you, mister Olmes and your friend.
Speaker 2: But reading the bad rubbish, this looks like myself. I haven't been so infernally noising and I recognized you, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Speaker 3: I think they suspected me anyway.
Speaker 2: I must say it seemed to me that you told them a great deal more than was necessary about your suspicions. Surely you could have pretended ignorant.
Speaker 3: I could have done.
Speaker 6: God, I'm not ready to.
Speaker 9: Go, by the way, was I right in assuming with your associates on nihilists?
Speaker 4: It's what they are. They're planning to assassinate the Prime Minister? Do you believe telebraate my Minster?
Speaker 2: Great heapens homes.
Speaker 9: We've got to get free, assuming some ridical happened and we did get free, and your former associates but are ranged in court.
Speaker 3: Would you testify against them? Of course I would?
Speaker 4: But what chance is there they.
Speaker 5: Bother?
Speaker 3: I'll stop it for you Holmes.
Speaker 9: Your hands are free, But then its wrist I mentioned just now, I've concealed a.
Speaker 3: Razor edged blade. I cut through the ropes almost before our friends had left the room.
Speaker 4: Then why did you keep us in the suspense.
Speaker 9: Mister Home, I wanted to quite sure that you testify on the forthcoming trial.
Speaker 3: Madam. We are that renders the bomb harveys.
Speaker 8: Ah, and that means that the police have.
Speaker 9: Sprung the fact that I set your associates.
Speaker 3: Lady Brownlee.
Speaker 9: It's lucky for you that you had a change of heart and prevented you from leaving us.
Speaker 4: Oh, mister Holmes, heart, did I ever thank you?
Speaker 2: Home? You have the place surrounded with police when you came in here.
Speaker 3: As I did, my dear fellow.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no wonder he was so calm.
Speaker 2: No wonder. You told them so much. You wanted them to show their hair.
Speaker 9: A sience, old fellow, and they obliged me most satisfactorily.
Speaker 3: They attempted triple murder.
Speaker 1: Ye are self confessed anarchists, and with the evidence of lady Brownlee, I'm sure that we can put them of They all belong. Considering it's barely noon, I think you'll agree Watson, that is a very comprehensive morning's work.