Speaker 1: Oh no, Wandre, looks like the Reds are pallouting the city lake we do. We call the Watchman, Strong together, united forever. They're the best of friends.
Speaker 2: But when troubles them out, you would best watch out for the Watchman. And he loves to Russia expends to the animalssage. Yeah, when he's not clowning around, he beat up some thugs say no to drugs being bed by Tan. But it troubles about, you would best watch out for the Watchman. It's brittany bitch and said Iraq.
Speaker 3: Everywhere like I supposed to be the franchise player.
Speaker 1: And we in here talking about practice.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, we got them.
Speaker 1: Our next door neighbors are foreign countries.
Speaker 2: I call upon all nations to do everything they can to stop these terrors killing me.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Now watch this drive, Hey everybody, and welcome to Remember Shuffle. My name is Ben, with me as always my co host Tornano. I heard a joke.
Speaker 3: Once man goes to the doctor, says he's depressed. Doctor says, treatment is simple. Listener, remember Shuffle. That should pick you up. Man burst into tears, says but doctor.
Speaker 1: I'm Ben. Yes, if you couldn't have guessed from Tornado's impression. Today we are discussing the two thousand and nine Zack Snyder adaptation of Watchmen, and to do so, we are joined by Discourse stew of Marvelous or the Death of Cinema.
Speaker 2: Neither first time, long time. It's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much for coming on. I listen to your episode on Watchman in preparation, and I think we're gonna relign on a lot of what makes this film mediocre and forgettable. To be generous, i'd.
Speaker 2: Say mediocre, yes, not totally forgettable, but that is in part I think because of the benefit of the source material is drawing off of Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been listening to your show for the past year or so ever since we started getting into marvel topics. I had found myself not as well versed as you guys, and I always found that your criticism and our criticism were very much aligned, and so I thought it'd be a good match, and we'll be going on your show to talk about a two thousands topic shortly.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, in a couple two or three weeks.
Speaker 4: So go subscribe to Marvelous and hopefully you'll hear us talk about BlackBerry in the coming months.
Speaker 2: I'm super looking forward to that one.
Speaker 1: It's great. We're both big fans of that film. So why talk about Watchman if you're tuning in hoping for another episode from our ongoing series on the Great Recession? We apologize, but in a similar way to how we took small breaks during the Iraq War series to talk about Ironman or Robin Williams or V for Vendetta. Appropriately, we're also taking a quick side quest to talk about the two thousands reception of the work of Alan Moore. Again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, comeing your break. I've been in Ethiopia for three weeks. I haven't been able to get to more Recession stuff. But let's do this nice, fun intlude on I would say the two thousands superhero work, which is maybe the highest brow superhero movie that came out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we wanted to give you something for your biweekly release rather than Leava Hanging. And the main reason to discuss Watchman is that the graphic novel fucking rocks. If you've ever heard anything about it, you know the fans will say it's one of the only graphic novels that Time put in its list of one hundred best novels since nineteen twenty something, as printed on every single paperback copy of Watchmen. And I think the movie itself is fascinating in that it is reverent. It is Zack Snyder treating the source material like scripture, even down to individual shots being framed for frame comic panels, and yet through what are relatively minor and modest tweaks, he manages to completely undermine the source material and not get it at all. Thank you, Zack Snyder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I honestly think that this movie is under discussed. I tried to look up Watchmen podcasts out there, and like ninety five percent of content surrounds the TV show, which we will not be discussing today. Maybe we'll get to on the Patreon hopefully, but marvelous and discourse Stu, you guys have done an episode on Watchmen. But I think that people are not really sure what to make of this movie. You know, it's both good and bad in many ways, and so it's tough to sort of pin down. But that's why we're hoping to talk about it at length today.
Speaker 2: Part do I think makes it interesting, like Ben said, is it's like if i'd gotten to make a Watchman movie at like age fifteen, it probably would have come out kind of like this, Like like, I think it's Snyder making the version of Watchman as he understood it when he read it as a teenager, but without the more nuanced understanding you'd get from it if you go back and read it as an adult a little more critically.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, Tredia says, simultaneously both good and bad. It is simultaneously both attempting to be highbrow, grasping at the high brow deconstruction of the superhero, and simultaneously very pubescent, lowbrow. These guys are fucking awesome, yeah, as we will see. So to begin, we're going to start by just doing a little character analysis because it's an assemble cast movie and it has really memorable characters that stick out in your mind. And then we'll do a quick plot summary if you haven't read it or haven't seen the film in a while. And then, as always, we'll talk about style, we'll talk about deviations from the source material, and then we'll talk about our themes and big ideas. So let's begin with everyone's favorite rorshak Or. I don't know if he's everyone's favorite, but he's clearly Zack Snyder's favorite. If I'm going to grasp for adjectives for Rorshack. He is anti social and misanthropic, right despite his crusade for some sense of justice. You get the sense from his journal entries that he hates humanity. You may remember some of the quotes from his journals that are often quoted or clipped form means, you know, the city's dying of rabies is the best I can do to wipe random flex of foam from its lips. He's reactionary. He's frequently calling women horrors. He hates people with liberal sensibilities. I reread Watchman in preparation for this episode, and there's a scene where they're going through drops that I believe Rorschach has left at the New Frontiersman in the crank folder, and one of them says, this one is addressed to the je United States of America. Not a comrade. And he is this filthy, anti social guy who walks around with a sign that says the end is nigh when he's not crime fighting. He is not Captain America. He is not Bruce Wayne. I have to make this abundantly clear. And he, like many of the characters, we're gonna get this is a thing that we're going to keep coming back to. He represents one of the possible logical end points of being a vigilante, to take law or justice into your own individualistic hands as opposed to something that's collectively administered by society and by institutions that are set up for society. It turns you into someone who actually hates humanity, who thinks they are superior to does that simple choice of saying that only I can do this puts yourself at a higher level than everyone else.
Speaker 2: Rorshak is in part modeled on a couple of Steve Ditko characters, the co creator Spider Man, mister A and the Question, who are both at least in Ditko's hands tools to articulate his literal randy and objectivism.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, yeah, And I found this take on Reddit, of all places, so take it with a grain of salt. But this person says that each of these heroes is meant to represent a different ethical school, and Rorshak is deontology. It's from a Greek word meaning obligation, so there's an absolute moral obligation to do what is right regardless of outcomes or consequences. There is a strong moral code, and I think you can definitely read the character that way. But I find it so fascinating that I think there's another reading of this character you could do where he is motivated by a kind of primal violent id. I mean, what is his mask. It's the block test to check your subconscious Like, is it really all a code or is it just living out violent power fantasies.
Speaker 2: His mask represents. It's like he has a constant moral binary. There's him and what's right, there's everybody else, But how that binary is constructed is always shifting. He has a code against compromising his binary, but how that binary is constructed as amorphous to the needs of a psyche at the moment.
Speaker 5: That's a great reading and can you tell me? Admittedly I'm sort of the Rolf Wigan on this episode here, having asked what does the Warshack tests have to do with his identity as a superhero? Like Peter Parker is a spider Man because he was bitten by a spider. Batman is the Batman because he got scared by bats and now he wants to turn that fear onto others. What does the Warshack test have to do with his own personal sort of story or crime findings. I was never able to piece that together.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. There's no person under there. There's this drive, this sense of never wanting to compromise, this sort of absolutism in his personality. But it's not built around a core of anything, just this amorphous collection of memes he inherited from his absent abusive father that disappeared early in his life, which is what his reactionary politics are built around, which is just a bunch of notions that don't really add up to a coherent worldview. There's just him and something to fight.
Speaker 4: So he's sort of intentionally hypocritical or like, not ideologically congruous, you think.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's intentional, but it's reflective of the lack of anything there. He is kind of like one of those guys that gets on Internet and yells and screams about all these different things because they hate themselves. You know, they're just blackpilled nihilists. But it doesn't add up to anything really coherent other than there's me and whatever I think is my stuff in the moment, and then the everything else. I'm against the degeneracy.
Speaker 5: I see.
Speaker 1: I mean he calls the mask his face at several points to this extent that there is no human underneath, there is only this I see.
Speaker 4: I've heard people say that, oh, well, the black and white shapes represent his black and white view of the world or whatever. But I'm like, well, that just describes the color. It doesn't really describe the essence of what a Rorshackt test is, which is to turn your projections into reality. And so it seems like there isn't like a great explanation maybe for why he specifically is tied to this rorshach test.
Speaker 2: It's because the black and white is a projection. His morality's always black and white, but what's in the black and what's in the white is always changing moment to moment.
Speaker 1: Mmm.
Speaker 5: I see.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to character number two to discuss. And this is kind of order of appearance in the comics. As I was reading Osmandias or Adrian Vite the smartest man in the world, and he is the cynical sellout very much works within the system. He's one of the first capes to go work with the government. In the backstory, this is the guy that Rorschak says of him rather despairingly when comparing him to the comedian. The comedian never let anyone retire him, never cash in on his reputation, never set up a company selling posters and diet books and toy soldiers based on himself, never became a prostitute. It's so great, quoting Rorschak, he has a very strong point of view in improv terms.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, he seems to be the most on the nose criticism of superhero consumerism and like marketing, almost like Russell Brand, being like.
Speaker 5: You see, he sold himself. He understands that he is a product to be sold.
Speaker 1: He is eventually revealed to be the architect, mastermind, villain of our sprawling conspiracy that drives the plot of the story. And he's contemptuous of humanity because he thinks that he's just that much better than them, mostly in the intellectual sphere. He's got a god complex, hence the name. If you remember, the poem is about the god king whose statue is in the desert and the traveler comes on.
Speaker 4: Did Osi Mandius finish that poem? He based his superhero name off of it. I feel like maybe he didn't get to the end of it.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's so smart. He got four lines and he was like, oh, I see where this is going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a poem, but a guy who rocks. Not a poem, but like the meaninglessness of the works of man on a large enough cosmic scale. But yes, he's got this God complex. And if we return to this view where all these guys represent different philosophical schools, Ozymandias is the easiest to place. He represents a kind of utilitarianism, do the thing that will do the most good for the most number of people, even if the decision that you need to make to get there might not in itself be ethical. Oh yeah, our next character, honestly maybe my favorite. I think I've grown out of Rorschak being my favorite. It's Doctor Manhattan aka doctor John Osterman. Speaking of God complexes, this guy is quite literally basically a god.
Speaker 5: You see, at the time I was misquoted, I never said the Superman exists and he is American.
Speaker 1: What I said was God exists and he's American. He's the big blue guy. He's called the walking h Bomb by a couple of characters to describe his powers. Is he can do anything. He can turn any matter into any other matter. He can teleport, he can make usself big, he can make usself small. He perceives time simultaneously. The work does some really fun stuff with predestination and free will with him and He's the comics take on what happens when someone gets Superman level powers, and the answer is that once you become that powerful, you become aloof and disinterested. I'm starting to notice a pattern. Yeah, so far all of our characters basically hate humanity in some way, shape or form. He doesn't hate it, he just doesn't care. He can't bring himself to care. A live body and dead body contain the same number of particles, he says, structurally, there's no discernible difference. Life and death are unquantifiable abstracts. Why should I be concerned? More like Captain existentialism? Am I right?
Speaker 2: How familiar are you, guys with Alan Moore's work in general?
Speaker 1: I've read this, I've read v for Vendetta. I think that might be it. I never read League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I think I read from Hell back in the day as well.
Speaker 2: There's a recurring theme in his work and in his worldview, which is this idea of sort of like favor read Slaughterhouse five, of all of time existing at once in a kind of like four dy crystal structure, where everything's happening at once and has already happened and is happening. And Doctor Manhattan is in part just a vehicle to explore that idea with his sort of experiencing all of time simultaneously.
Speaker 1: Yes, you've almost certainly seen the famous meme of him sitting on Mars, used to poke fun at the fact that nothing ever changes in our world. You know, it's nineteen ninety four, the president is a baby boomer. It's two thousand and eight. The president is a baby boomer. Is twenty sixteen, the president is a baby boomer, and so on and so forth. He drops some just banger lines. One of my favorite all time lines is I'm tired of earth these people. I'm tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives. I'm going to use that next time I need to get out of plans I don't want to go to. I'm sorry, gag, I just I'm tired of being involved in the tangle of your lives.
Speaker 2: That's part of what makes him so interesting is to explore that sense of distance. I think even as a kid when I first read the book, I kind of related to it because I'm a god naturally, but because I was one of those kids I just had like a slightly different perspective and way of thinking from a lot of my peers, and so I sort of related to that sense of alienation.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think he's supposed to be like an analog for Superman, right, and the sense of Superman is like a god. And then to what extent can he empathize with a regular person enough to have the same perspective as them, Like Peter Parker has a good sense of what's right and wrong because he is a regular guy and like lived his life as a regular guy. But it's like, once you're a god, you could see how you might start to have problems with determining what's right and wrong if you are a perspective of the universe has made the earth like a tiny speck of dust, right, Yeah, imagine you had like an ant farm, and like you kind of cared about these ants, and then you're helping them with when one ant is getting mugged by another aunt but then you have an ant farm for like eight years, and you're familiar with the rest of the world, you can kind of start to see that these ants their problems. You don't really have the same perspective.
Speaker 1: That they do.
Speaker 4: He's played by Billy Krutdup a stute Remember Shuffle listeners will remember him from Each Prey Love. He's Julia Roberts's ex husband who wants to go to grad school and so she gets a divorce. Much like Doctor Manhattan running from the relationship by going to Mars, he was running from the relationship to go to grad school in that movie.
Speaker 1: This is to remember Shuffle co host did not remember that.
Speaker 4: But you remember his song He writes on the guitar.
Speaker 1: I do It's all coming back to me now, okay. Our next character is the second Silk specter, Laurie Polish last name. I won't try and mangle Juice pet chick. Here's a fun twist. Instead of hating all of humanity, she just hates her mother and her partner. The first character we're introduced to in the book, who is a second generation Cape. There's a rich backstory to the Watchman. Her mom was the first Silk specter, and a lot of her plot wine has to do with nostalgia, living in the past. She's bitter against the comedian or attempting to sexually assault her mother, against her mother for making her a superhero, against John for his aloofness and disinterestedness, and especially in the movie. She is kind of the flattest character in the work, but she's also given the least to do in the story. She's kind of like a plot device in that her birth, as we will eventually see, is the miraculous thing that is so chaotic and random that led to someone so beautiful that doctor Manhattan can see the value in life again towards the climax of the thing. Yeah, not a lot to do in this film.
Speaker 2: I think she's maybe one of the weakest cast. Maelan Akerman really looks the part. With a character that has less screen time and dialogue to clarify their character, you kind of need someone who can use the performance to find more there, and she doesn't unfortunately.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Second last character to discuss is the second night Owl, Daniel Dreiberg. He's kind of like this universe's kid Gloves Batman, even down to the animal themes and vehicles and gadgets. He's the Adam West Batman. Rorshock is the well shit, I mean Zack snyderbad I guess, and that he kills people. He's an intellectual nerd. He went to Harvard to study ornithology, history, and mythology. He just decided to double down on birds as a major hence the unified theme of all this stuff. He's TMU Batman birdman, if you will. And he's driven by nostalgia, one of these key themes of the text. Right. He's his flabby middle aged man with nothing to do. He's bored. He needs the thrill of adventurism, even if it's bad for himself and society. He's living in the past. And if he has any kind of moral ethical system is a kind of basic pragmatism. Do what will be most effective in a particular moment for problem solving. Mostly, and that Reddit user that I crib that take from was named gumby pants. Shout out gumby pants. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You point out here that he comes around to Ozzi Mandios's side in the end He's like, well, I guess, I mean, if you already did.
Speaker 1: It, yeah, then we can't have all these people die for nothing. And finally, the last character is the comedian Edward Blake. He's the superhero whose murder is the instigating event of the entire work. His philosophical school is, of course, nihilism. He's witnessed the worst of humanity, especially in Vietnam. He's done war crimes. He's seen humanity at his absolute worse and has decided that that is our innate, unchangeable nature, which turns him into this violent, wanta be cop psychopath who just thinks that it's all a joke. It's all a big joke.
Speaker 2: He's a black built.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he decides to go with the state, right, He's like, well, I guess I'll just work for you and I'll be your instrument. We see him killing protesters in this movie. He's very much on the side of institutional power.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the fucking tip of the spear of the US Empire. They say he's knocking over Marxist republics in Latin America.
Speaker 2: In the movie, at least to make it explicit that he killed JFK.
Speaker 1: Yeah, only gestured two in the comic, but we see him on the Grassy Knoll and yeah, I mean I'm sure somewhere deep in the lore he kills Salvador Allende and Chile, right, yeah, some of our faves. I think significantly. He's a crime fighter who doesn't believe in crime fighting. There's a great scene where they flash back to the sixties where he basically says to everybody, they're these big structural problems. Do you think busting Moloch matters? Do you think that solves anything? It doesn't matter because inside thirty years the nukes are going to be flying like may bugs. So he just leans into that nihilistic violence.
Speaker 4: Played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan of The Walking Dead, and yeah, I think, honestly, probably my favorite character in this movie very well characterized. He's the oldest member of the Watchmen, and so he transcends both the Bronze age comic iteration of the heroes the Minutemen, and our modern day heroes too. A lot of times you're wondering, like, why do they even let this guy in the club? I guess he's not technically a villain, so you're like, we gotta let him in.
Speaker 1: So those are your characters. We will kind of blitz through the plot. I did take down some beat by beats in my notes, but we can just kind of condense it as we go along. Watchman opens with the murder of the comedian. We're in this kind of dystopian retro future nineteen eighties. You said this on your episode. It's way more retrofuturistic in the comic. Yeah, it's kind of gestured towards in the film. It's never really fleshed out enough. But you know, there are blimps, there are airships, so that's how you know you're a retro futuristic world. The world is on the brink of nuclear war, super high cold war tensions. That's kind of the setting that we enter. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that what they say is that because the United States has all of these superheroes that eventually start to do the bidding of the United States, it leads the Soviet Union to be more desperate and erratic in their decision making, which explains why the nuclear tensions are closer to disaster in their world than in our own.
Speaker 2: I mean, Doctor Manhattan wins Vietnam in a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so sick. We see Rorshak, who's our initial point of view character. He's investigating the murder. He's going around Town, warning everyone to introduce us to all of our other characters one at a time because he believes that someone is killing Capes. We go through the comedian's funeral, and then we have all these different interstitial flashbacks of the backstory. So we see that scene I mentioned when I describe the comedian. We see the nineteen sixties. They're trying to make the crime busters, as they're called in the comic, but stupid Zack Snyder has to call them the watchmen. We have to work in the movie title for the swine.
Speaker 2: I would bet that was a studio note. That seems like an exec note to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. True. We see the halting attempts to make the crime busters happen. We get the Great Vietnam War flashbacks of Doctor Manhattan winning the thing as one hundred foot tall giant blue guy, and we see Blake shoot the Vietnamese woman who's pregnant with his child, and Doctor Manhattan stands back and lets it happen. Just as one little scene does so much to characterize these two guys. The aloofness of Doctor Manhattan, which is commented upon by the comedian, and the nihilistic violence of the comedian himself, we get another flashback to the recent pass of the nineteen seventies when the cops went on strike. Right, we live in a world where as capes do more and more, people start to get more and more frustrated with them. We see the iconic graffiti who watches the Watchmen? And we see these big riots before the gun passes a law, the Keen Act, banning superheroes, which brings us up to the present, all told through flashbacks at the comedian's funeral, I gotta take one quick classics tangent who watches the Watchman comes from Latin poetry. It comes from the Latin poetry of Juvenile, And when I was young, I was like, oh, this is such a deep line about power. Right, It's about institutional power in the police, and now we have these guards, but who watches them? It's about authority, It's about the panopticon. The actual context is about a cheating wife, where Juvenile says, you may hire a watchman to keep your wife faithful, but who's gonna watch the watchmen? Those watchmen are fucking your girl?
Speaker 2: My friend who cockch the coxsmen?
Speaker 1: Exactly? So we go through this sprawling conspiracy Rorschach is eventually framed and is thrown in prison. Doctor Manhattan is essentially exiled from Earth by having the Lion fake news media yell at him about having in every single one of his loved ones cancer. This is another kind of chess move that we need to do for the plot to get Doctor Manhattan, the most powerful guy on Earth, off of Earth. He's on Mars now. He's tired of living in the tangle of our lives. There's one scene that I want to talk about a little bit more at length, which is the attempted shooting of Ozamandias. Right, we don't know that Ozamandyas is the big bad yet, and there's an attempted assassination on him where he's talking to these titans of industry, including Lee Ayacoca, a real guy who worked for Chrysler, helped save Chrysler by inventing the minivan if I recall correctly, and he was still alive when Watchman came out and Zack Snyder shot him in the fucking face on screen. Not in the comics, really, No.
Speaker 2: That scene feels like a very pointed war on terror peak oil thing where they're all like free energy. That's socialism. You can't do that. We need our gas guzzling SUVs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you pointed out let's see where we see the twin towers in the background as well, Right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Before we find out Viight is staging Mega nine to eleven as an inside job.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: So at this point, Rorschak's in prison, he's getting psychoanalyzed. He's still saying things like your fat, rich liberal sensibilities to his shrink. Great scenes of Rorschak in prison just for like stupid Rorschak, badassory, shouting things like I'm not locked in here with you, You're locked in here with me, Passik. We check back in with night Al and the Silk Spector once again, very true to the comics. She's gone to live with Dan once John is gone, and they start this nostalgic flirtation in his basement in the owl cave. She's poking through all the gears. They start talking about the good old days. They attempt to hook up on the couch with the news in the background, but poor Dan, he can't get it up. So what do they do. They go out on patrol at three in the morning. This is where we get Silk Spector in her latex costume, walking in slow mode. They go, they say, some people from a burning building, and now they can have sex in a long much longer than in the comic sex scene set to the ultimate sex song, the original lettered coed Hallelujah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, if that doesn't get it up, what will?
Speaker 1: Yeah, We're going to talk about adaptation a second, But this adaptation is so faithful to the comic. I would guess that eighty to ninety percent of the dialogue is verbatim, unchanged with the change in medium. They go to rescue Rorschak because they're starting to think he was onto something and they need Rorschak to unravel the whole mystery. They go to the prison. There's a bunch more violence, highly aestheticized, very badass, very cool looking. These guys are in it for the adrenaline and the hedonistic violence more than any sense of justice, but they still look fucking cool while they're doing it. They get Rorschak out of jail and Doctor Manhattan poofs Lori off to Mars to go have a commonsation. This is where doctor Manhattan points out that Mars is far more interesting to him than Earth, and they really cut a lot of the fun geological content. She says, like, what about the high highs and the low lows of being a human? He says, well, what about Olympus mons, and you get a nice little Martian geology lesson is on a large enough timeline, geological change can be just as interesting as a human life. In these Mars scenes, she finally breaks through the Doctor Manhattan once she has her like psychoanalytical breakthrough that the comedian who attempted to rape her mother had consensual sex with her later, this man whom she had every reason to hate, producing loriie. This was the randomness that led to something so beautiful that can make Doctor Manhattan start to care about Earth again. Rorschak and night Owil try to find Adrian Vite, mostly looking for him to help them. He's gone. They break into his office, They break into his computer, and they uncover the entire conc spira se.
Speaker 2: Which wouldn't have happened if Bit had the sense to put like an exclamation mark or an AT symbol in his password.
Speaker 1: Yes, his password is Ramsey's the second the original Egyptian name for Ozamandias, and like two factor authentication, wouldn't have changed anything. He gets away with it. In the end, he would have gotten away with it with even greater ease had he had two factor of authentication on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and describe Ozamandias's plot in this movie that he pulled off here.
Speaker 1: Yes, so our figures go to Antarctica to confront him. They get to his Antarctic base and he reveals the entire plot. This is the most significant change that Zach Sneyder makes in the comic. Ozamandias is going to teleport in a genetically engineered telepathic alien into the middle of New York City, which will release a giant shock wave, killing millions. And it's not just New York. It's New York, it is Moscow, is Beijing, is Hong Kong, it's every major world power, and it looks like aliens at ten, so that all of humanity will put down their nuclear weapons, abandon the worst angels of our nature, and unify against the common enemy. Zack Snyder thought that the alien would look fucking stupid on screen, I assume, And so instead they basically frame Doctor Manhattan and they make it look like Doctor Manhattan with his blue psychic power energy whatever destroyed all of these cities in the world, framing him so that humanity can unite against him and nuclear war.
Speaker 2: I think that choice is not what I like, but I think it's one of those like screenwriting economy moves, because they're just like, how do we fit in this whole sea plot where all the world's greatest artists and psychics and special effects guys were brought together to invent an alien invasion and then killed.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, that's what happens in the comics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really yeah, as Amandyas has to tie up all the loose ends.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I thought he just like teleported a giant squid or something and said it was an alien.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's what all the world's greatest artists come up with, because the idea is when they drop, they trick like psychic shockwaves, like give the whole planet nightmares, gotcha?
Speaker 1: And so our heroes confront as Amandias and basically the big drop is that he's going to kill a millions to save billions, And he says, I'm not a comic book villain. Do you think I'd explain my master planned to you if there was any possibility you could affect the outcome? I triggered it thirty five minutes ago.
Speaker 4: I love that line, this sort of tongue in cheek reference to the fact that villains always do this where they explain the plot hm, right before it's undermined.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very meta, very fun. There's a more fighting. He tries to vaporize Doctor Manhattan. It doesn't work. Still, Inspector shoots him again, beat for beat from the comic, he catches the bullet. This is meant to be this huge reveal in the comics because nobody in the comics has actual powers. More on this in a moment. But Adrianvite in this climacting moment is able to like move fast enough to catch a bullet. You're meant to be like hmm. And so the conclusion of the film is that everyone except Rorshak agrees to let Ozamandias get away with it. They all agree that to reveal the truth would have humanity fighting each other again on the brink of nuclear war again, and all those people would have died for nothing. And Rorshack walks out into Antarctica, knowing full well that he's going to get killed because he has now become a loose end, you know, he refuses to compromise. He does even say never compromise, not even in the face of armageddon. That's always been the difference between us Daniel, That's what he says to night Owl, and Doctor Manhattan just fucking vaporizes him into a red splotch on the snow that looks like a Rorshack mask. Appropriately, that is the kind of anti climax of Watchmen. Doctor Manhattan is going to leave the galaxy to create some life of his own now that he sees its value. Night Owl does get to lay a beat down on Osamandias just to get out some feelings, which is something that's added. But he and so expect are going to live halfily hour after and we go out to my Chemical Romance's cover of Desolation Row. But what a twist. And I love this because it's so fucking bleak. Everyone has compromised their morals. But the final shot is Rorschak's journal that has the entire truth is about to be published by the tabloid Rag the New Frontiersman. He had the dead drop in the event that he doesn't come back, So you're left with this ambiguous ending as to what happens after. Who knows, Maybe they all ignore rorschak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it becomes qan on. Just about thirty percent of the population believes it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is very cuan on coded Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would have been kicking in the doors of that Comet Ping Pong.
Speaker 1: Dead dog in the Comet Ping Pong pizza. Sweet.
Speaker 4: Well, we've done the work of describing the plots. Let's do a little discussion of the style of this movie. I think that dack Snyder not his first work. We've discussed on the pod. You know, we've also discussed three hundred and Donna the Dead. He's approaching like Wes Anderson levels of au tourism. I think he's got such a specific look he's going for. And he often does cover graphic novels too, so he's got a style that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A lot of slow motion, a lot of over the top violence, a lot of really gray color ballads. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this movie looks I don't if it looks like how I'd want a Watchman movie to look. I think it looks pretty good. It doesn't have the what Nicole my co host, called the wet concrete look of Man of Steel, or that kind of piss yellow look of three hundred that I don't love, but I think he just is often a mismatch for the material he chooses.
Speaker 4: I think on your pod you said that he almost has like a perfect recall for what a fifteen year old boy will think is cool, you know, like he has a bead on that for sure.
Speaker 2: And that is the wrong way to adapt Watchmen. Then earlier you described a cool fight scene, cool costume. Most of that stuff isn't cool in the comic. No, like Silkspector's cost is not latex in the comic. As far as I can tell, the action scenes are very pared down. There's not a lot to them, and they're presented fairly prosaically or as in this movie, even though it's ordinary humans that are just fit and good at fighting, every punch is like a woosh and a big slam, and he plays everything up very epic when it should be more sardonic and kind of undercut, I think for this story.
Speaker 1: Yes, precisely. There's this great YouTube video essay on this film called Watchman Doesn't Get Watchmen, and it brings up that quote from Terry Gilliam about how this is unadaptable and part of what makes it unadaptable is that the work is so fucking bleak and it is fundamentally an anti superhero work. These people are psychologically damaged, they are pathetic, they are just like us. They are flawed, profoundly and deeply flawed in almost every way. But Zack Snyder, because of those changes that you are alluding to, he basically gives them superpowers like no, there's no like radioactive spiders or whatever the fuck. But when the sixty something year old comedian is fighting off his attacker something where in the comic he just gets his ass handed to him and gets his ass thrown out a window. We see the comedian throwing knives. We see him punch through a wall. We see night Owl break a mugger in the alley's arm and the bomb pops out of his skin like they are elevated. And even if it's not in, the story is done through the visuals and through the action, and it completely undermines a story that's meant to be anti superhero.
Speaker 2: I agree with your assessment of the movie and where it falls or the material, I would disagree that Watchman is anti superhero per se.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think.
Speaker 2: Alan Moore has an uneasy relationship with superhero stuff, particular, it's modern cultural dominance and what that kind of says about where we're at is this, But he also loves that stuff, like he started writing it for a reason. He loves pulp adventurer, he loves superhero stories. I think the takeaway from Watchmen. Part of it is just him seeing, Okay, well, what would happen if I transplanted these ideas into this setting. But I think the takeaway from it a lot like the takeaway like a lot of the industry and fans of comics had after it came out, was all superhero storyes should I'll be like this, they should be realistic and grady. When the whole point of Watchman is if you take superheroes outside their King Arthur fairytale world they exist in, they cease to be heroic. And that's why you shouldn't do it. Oh yeah, yeah, that's why every superhero shouldn't be Watchmen. Because he's also responding to a trend that was already kind of setting in in the mid eighties where they're like, you know, doing the death and the family story in Batman and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe anti superhero lacks nuance, but I think he's definitely saying what you're saying. If you take superheroes and put them in a realistic world, they make that world worse. Yeah, superheroes in our world are a net negative on society. Yeah, emphatically.
Speaker 4: The point you're making about Zack Snyder not understanding the source material is that it's meant to be critical of superheroes and their nature, and yet because he's such a fan of them, Like Zack Snyder is such a fan of them, he can't help but embellish the story whenever he can to make them look cool, right, Yeah, whether it's that mugging scene right with owl Man, like finding a way to make Owlman and the soil respector like as cool as possible.
Speaker 1: His name is night Owl, please with some respect on his name. He is the second night Owl.
Speaker 4: And I was shocked when you told me that in the comics they don't actually have powers. That's a complete deviation from the movie. Like, as somebody who had only seen the movie, I was like, they're kind of lazy with Zuperbauers, Like they all have super speed and super strength and are really tough.
Speaker 1: Right, I had to be like No, none of them are, except for maybe Ozamandias and Doctor Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're just guys. They're just guys in costumes.
Speaker 4: Which is kind of way better. But like that's a perfect example of like Zack Snyder, he can't help himself. He's like, well, what if I gave them just a little bit of super strength, you know, for cinematic reasons to make the fight scenes even more freaking epic. That's the sense I get when you tell me that he's made a major change like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just sincerely believes in the superhero so much. When night Owl and still expect her get back into the costumes, like, yeah, they're settling up and they're riding again. Whereas the comic it's more kind of sad these people can't move on with their lives and find something else to fill the void.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even like the change that I kind of like, or I don't even know if I like it, but the change I mentioned where after night Owl has compromised, he's able to lay a beat down on Ozamandas in the comic and in the movie, we see that ozamandyas just handles night Owl with ease and rorschak at the same time, they are not comparable. But we can't have this morally gray compromised ending for a Zack Snyder. We just can't, as much as he wants to. So he has to have the good guy hero at least get some of his anger out and lay the smack down on ozamandas it's like emotionally satisfying for the character, I suppose, but it does kind of undercut that bleak ending that our moral light has compromised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's just too much of a sentimental idealist.
Speaker 1: And like, yeah, I love how you mentioned the costumes too. I was thinking in the comic the snow owl suit when they're driving across Antarctica on like hoverboards, they look ridiculous. Again, Like, all of the costumes are updated for this film, even the Minute Men costumes. Like we see their costumes in the forties and the sixties and the eighties, and all of them, in some way, shape or form look cool or sexy. The first Silk Specter, she's painted on the side of the plane that dropped the nuclear bomb. She's a fucking pin up girl, right. The Mini Men costume in the comic look fucking absurd. Because they're meant to recall the nineteen forties tights in underwears cereals, you know, but even down to the costume, they just have to look cool, and by making them look cool, it totally detracts, Yeah, what the text is trying to do.
Speaker 4: That is funny that Alan Moore, Like, you look at who's interpreting his works, and it's like Zack Snyder, the Wachowski's taken up by a wide array of ideologies, you know, and he himself, like Alan Moore is like an anarchist, right, He's.
Speaker 2: A left anarchist. Yeah, out of a long tradition of UK speculative fiction left anarchist writers like Michael Moorcock and Norman Spinrad I think is from the UK.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And when we talked about Viva Vendetta, we talked about how they took his criticism, his sort of ideology in the graphic novel and turned it into this de liiberal fantasy. The message of the graphic novel was completely ruined by the movie. So it's good to see that happen again, but in a different direction from Zack Snyder.
Speaker 1: It's good to see Alan Moore's works misunderstood and ruined in a different way. There's a take. No, I mean, I truly do think the work is kind of unadaptable. Right. There's a quote by Alan Moore that gets thrown around, which is the only point in transferring something to a medium for which it was not intended is you make more money, usually at the expense of the integrity in the work in question.
Speaker 4: Mister Moore, will you sign my DVD of Watchmen Babies?
Speaker 1: Which of the babies is your favorite? You see what those bloody corporations do. I take your ordeas and I suck them, suck them long leitches until they've gotten every last drop of the marrow from your bones. Watchman is a comic about comics, even down to having a comic within a comic in the form of The Black Freighter. Yeah. I mercifully did not watch the Super Ultimate Cut, so I did not see the adaptation of The Black Freighter.
Speaker 2: I skipped through them to save a little time. Lucky you can I talk about something on that note that's just sort of interesting, please. I talked before about Alan Moore's hold obsession with this idea of time and how it's laid out right, and the comic book reflects that because when you read a comic book, you kind of skim back and forth across the images to build a context versus a movie, which is one image at a time in linear order. One of the issues the chapters is named fearful Symmetry, after the William Blake poem, and if you look at it closely, the whole chapter is visually symmetrical. The first page resembles the last page terms of panel layout and staging and everything into the middle. So it's the storytelling is built into the form. The themes are built into the medium in a way that a film literally can't adapt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he does so many clever things, little things like doctor Manhattan's speech bubbles are always blue, right, His speech bubbles are different from everyone else's. When Rorschak is in his like more Madden state, his speech bubbles are jagged as he speaks in that staccata way. But in the flashbacks before he starts killing people, he has regular speech bubbles. The attention to detail of the medium is so intense, and it's just something that you cannot do in the visual medium of a film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't sit and scrutinize a single frame for a minute, like you can with the comment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were talking about that on your podcast, about how like when you're dealing with a story that involves multiple time periods and like overlapping temporal lines, the ability to spend as much time as you personally want on a comic frame and consider what's happening changes completely in a movie where it's like it's going to move on with or without you GIF you're confused, that's on you.
Speaker 2: Like you get one twenty fourth of a second.
Speaker 4: Just before we move on. I have one more point about style, just about Zack Snyder's use of music. I always find very good. You know, when we watched Donna the Dead, I thought that that Johnny cash drop was excellent in the opening credits, and he does something very similar here with the Bob Dylan song The Times they are changing, right, which is admittedly on the nose, but them moving through forty years of history, going through all of these plot points, I thought was was very good. I genuinely enjoy his credit music sequences. We've talked a lot about how The two Thousands feels very much like an attempt at doing boomer nostalgia. It's them looking back at the last forty years. We talked about this in our two thousand and four election episode in the number of reboots that came out Catch me if you can, we talked about this extensively. But yeah, every music drop here is the complete boomer collection of greatest hits. You know, all along the Watchtower, the times they are changing.
Speaker 1: Sound of silence at the burl, the sound of Silence.
Speaker 2: That one made me laugh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, those opening credits are incredible. I remember sitting in the theater in two thousand and nine watching that, having already read the comic, thinking like, boy, am I in for a treat, and then being subsequently so fucking bored. It has references to the source material, but it also adds to the source material in like a fun way, like the famous victory in Japan. Kiss between the Sailor is like a lesbian kiss with the lesbian member of the Minute Men. Silhouette silouette, Yes they have the first silk. Spector's pregnancy with the Minute Men is framed like the Last Supper. For reasons. I think it's really Zack Snyder being like, yeah, I know paintings, here's a painting, you know, But also she is kind of the christ like figure who's going to bring God back to the world in the form of Doctor Manhattan. It's all of your favorite moments from your high school twentieth century history class, but with the superheroes you remember from the comic book homework you did before watching this film. The jfk assassination with the comedian, It's the bombing of Hiroshima in Nagasaki with Silkspector, It's the pin Up Girl. It's all of these nice little moments where you get to point at the screen and say, I know what's going on here, but it is more than a Marvel Easter Egg because you need to do a little bit more work yourself. Yeah, that's all we got for the adaptation. How he took a work about heroes that were pathetic and contemptible and turned them into cool, sexy badasses. Okay, so let's talk themes and big ideas, and I think the number one theme. If there's a thing that Watchman is about, it's the deconstruction of the superhero. Superheroes in a world that recalls our own would be bad, and they would be flawed, empathetic and traumatized and have contempt for humanity and forgive me a second classic side tangent. But ancient authors kind of did this. It's not exactly what Alan Moore was doing, but you know that there's a billion and a half versions of basically every myth, right, so you can take Hercules. Most of the Hercules stories are these fun, loving adventure stories. He has the twelve Labors, he's got to kill the monsters, he got to bring him back. Hercules is like a hero out of time. He's the club generally, so he's kind of like a caveman. He's dumb compared to the other he heroes. He can't really go into a town without sacking it with his boorishness and his drunkenness and his gluttonous appetite. He's a hard drinking kind of Snorlax meets the Tasmanian devil in a lot of these myths. But you put him in the hands of Euripides the tragedian, and he's in the center of this tragedy that's about madness Vinely sent against him, where he murders his entire family in a family annihilation. So it can get dark, right, what do you do with the guy who's that powerful who goes mad. Well he fucking kills his family and feels real bad about it after the fact. And it's not a perfect one to one comparison in terms of like deconstructing broader tropes. Alan Moore isn't talking about one guy. He's talking about types, archetypes even. Yeah, but Euripides is extractolating from the character and coming up with conclusions of, like, what would this figure look like in different scenarios.
Speaker 2: That's what Watchman is on that, just as in a sad I have a question, what did Chris Benwa do you to piss off Harra?
Speaker 1: And yeah, Watchman says like to put on a caper costume and take justice into your own hands is inherently and necessarily to put yourself above humanity in one way, shape or form, like I said when I introduced all the characters, right, and this is also what the infinitely superior Watchman TV series does. I haven't finished, sit no spoilers, I'm only five episodes in, but in its world we see the cops need to start putting on masks. Right. It is also a form of masked justice and the show is so fuck impression. It came out in twenty nineteen, it's talking about the dangers of masked up law enforcement. What a time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think if you're going to come away with anything from this movie or from the graphic novel, this was the most profound thing it had to say, This sense that if somebody is going to be vigilante with superpowers, it's so clear to us when Spider Man stops a mugging, what should be done in that situation, right, Like, oh, yeah, the mugger is in the wrong, the woman with the purse is in the right, and we need to stop this from happening. But like, as you move up in crimes, and especially if you're trying to solve structural issues, right and not just you know, have paylliad of solutions to symptoms, but like treat real issues, there are way more opinions on how to solve things based on personal ideology and personal feelings. And it really complicates what should happen when we give someone and this kind of authority. Right, And you know, if you listen to our episode on Iron Man, we talked about this a lot. Right, Great Tony Stark can now beat any military on Earth and can like unilaterally decide to show up in a conflict and wipe out one side, right, And how problematic that is because what we've seen in the past is that we're not always sure what side should be helped.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: What happens when Tony Stark shows up in a rock? Does he help the Shiahs, does he help the Sunnies? He can't solve all of the intractable social problems and political problems through sheer might, right, And what I thought this movie really did so well was say, Okay, let's say you don't have someone with perfect morality like Peter Parker or like Superman, and you have someone who has like pretty good morality, right, what should they do in a given situation where it's not as cut and dry as a mugging? You might say, Okay, the closest thing we have in our society to like a judge, someone who's able to do judgment is the state? Right, so great, so the superhero will just go along with whatever the state wants. But like Alan Moore, as someone who I don't think believes in the state at all, rightly points out, okay, well, now the CIA has the power of a superhero, what does that actually mean?
Speaker 1: It means that there's one hundred mi line massacres a day, but now it's done by a one hundred foot blue guy.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, so he's helping the FBI spy on MLK. On this pod, we talked about how the CIA is the one who gave South Africa Nelson Mandela's position. Right, who gets to decide what is right and wrong?
Speaker 1: Who watches the Watchman if you will? Exactly?
Speaker 4: The state is the closest thing we have to some kind of generally agreed upon morality, judger right or thing to administer justice right exactly, and we know that they're very often wrong, incorrect, administering it unjustly. And so what do we end up with? Just like a supercharged state power?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: And I thought that that was a very interesting idea that I hadn't seen us in a superhero movie before, and like a sense of thoughtfulness that you don't get from Spider Man or a Iron Man movie. Right, what does all of this increased capability really result in?
Speaker 1: America wins Vietnam?
Speaker 4: Yeah, America wins Vietnam precisely.
Speaker 1: And that's the comedians say, could you imagine if we lost that would have done to this country.
Speaker 4: So many of those winks towards you know, what actually happened in the real.
Speaker 1: World, where they're like, eh, eh.
Speaker 4: You know, you know what happens that you're a smart guy. You know that we actually lost Vietnam.
Speaker 2: Ah, some people will still try and dispute that.
Speaker 4: Right, true red format they have McDonald's. Now, that was kind of the takeaway that I got from this, very in line with the criticism that we had of Iron Man, which is okay, great, Now, how do we decide that this increased capability can decide what's right and wrong? And as the comedian points out, you're not really solving anything with these sort of micro administrations of justice, right, You can't really get to any structural issues this way by punching them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's interesting in the book and the film how none of the hero characters have a like well defined political ideology. I mean, some of them are kind of generally more conservative or seem a little more liberal or what have you in a vague sense, but none of them are operating with like a clear organized vision of how the world should be beyond a general sense of right and wrong or a nihilistic sense of just enjoying the exercise of power. None of them are like socialists or definite liberals or what have you. Right, they kind of just follow the status quo, like Doctor Manhattan kind of just does what the government tells them to do without worrying too much seemingly about it. Or he seems to have a sort of fatalistic lack of agency. Given that Alan Moore has a definite political point of view, I found that interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and as we're saying, we live in this alternate world where Nixon is in his third term, fourth term, fifth fifth, Yeah, it's the eighties. Nixon is in his fifth term. And I forget if this line is in the comics or not, or if it's just in the film. But the two night Owls are talking over a beer, and the older night Al says like, oh, that damn Nixon. He took you guys off the street. You deserved a shot to be capes like we did. He says that bastard Nixon. I did vote for him four times, And the younger night Owl says, well, it was him or the communists, right, So even our good liberal quote unquote non roar Shackian hero is still a Nixon Night. The next thing we want to discuss just talking a little bit about satire. Right, it's related to this idea that superheroes would be awful in our world. There's also this sense that superheroes in this context are kind of childish and dumb and stupid. Right, The Mini Men costumes I already mentioned look particularly silly or over the top. You get the sense that these people they can't help but do this kind of adolescent childish dressing up in costumes and punching things, and they just can't grow out of it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I found the movie to be very pestiche in general, in the way that all of the superheroes that we see you can kind of squint your eyes and be like, oh, yeah, that's Superman, or like that's Batman or that's Captain America. Right, they're all kind of individual satires, like you said, like a t MoU version of most of the popular heroes you're familiar with. And then often they're like just straight up parodying American culture in this alternate world where it's like they're doing the Apocalypse Now scene with the Right of the Valkyries, yeah, or like Doctor Strangelove parody with the world leaders and their office with like Henry Kissinger. I mean, one of the major themes I think is pastichean parody of our own world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's almost like a noir investigating the murder of the instigating event is definitely science fiction, and that we go to fucking Mars and a base into Antarctica, and then we also got a little bit of war movie parody, a little bit of this like Doctor Strangelove vibe. Definitely a lot of composite parts.
Speaker 2: Some of that is Snyder, I think, with like the Apocalypse Now stuff, but a lot of that is more in his broad repertoire of pulp fiction cuts, because I mean you can look at night Owl and there's like a Batman analogy there, but he's also sort of like guys like Blue Beetle, a lot of these sort of Golden age characters that fell out of use. I think Watchman started early early on as an attempt to write a book for all of these characters that DCY had acquired from another company that went defunct.
Speaker 4: I read that as well. Basically they brought it to Alan Moore and they were like, hey, we kind of have the rights to these obscure characters, can you do something with them?
Speaker 2: And then yeah, it evolved into being a standalone thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think when they saw how dark the story was, they were like, well, maybe we don't involve the Blue Beetle necessarily, like someone who might sort of remind people of something like this.
Speaker 1: Someone who for legal purposes is different. Yeah.
Speaker 4: In terms of the pastiche, I did find that it is for humorous effect. Often the way that night Owl is portrayed to kind of be like the Joel Schumacher batman or the Adam West batman, you know with the nipple cutouts in the suit, or like the nineteen forties guy. Doesn't he die because he got his cape stuck in like a revolving door. Yeah, every now and then he is able to portray them, I'm sure, as Alan Moore mean, which is to be like silly and undermined by their own ridiculousness.
Speaker 1: Another big theme that I think undergo is the text is trauma, memory, nostalgia. All these things are kind of interrelated, but all of our characters are in some way, shape or form deeply traumatized. Right Rorshak No father, mother's a sex worker, abusive Laurie abusive mother forced into doing this thing. The least traumatized is Dan. I suppose he inherited banking money and went to Harvard to study birds. But I think it does this thing that we've mentioned before on the pod where Jordana you compared Mouse to like some superhero films, It was V for Vendetta. Oh yeah, that was it. Apropos Mouse is about how trauma does not make you stronger and better and whatever. It just changes you irreparably.
Speaker 4: And you have to live with it. Yes, And then V for Vendetta's point was like trauma and pain whatever, it doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
Speaker 1: At least in the film. But all of our characters basically are trying to wrestle with this trauma that they have by doing superhero dumb right. There is all these characters are, in some way, shape or form flawed and broken and weird. There are no normies who become capes. Their coping mechanism is vigilantism, right.
Speaker 4: I think that the point seemed to be the thing that would make you want to put your life at risk and fight crime extra judicially, might also preclude you from having normal good opinions. On what your will should be upon the world. Right, you are by definition not normal and therefore might have a hard time like determining what is right and wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how Rorshak pays for the rent walking around with an end asn't high sign. I don't know what the business is like on that. And I think it's even sadder when you see some of our characters after their cape days, we see through flashbacks that the Minute Men kind of fucking sucked right, very dysfunctional. We don't see a lot of the Minute Men's dubs. In the nineteen forties, we see the attempted sexual assault. We see hooded Justice is gestured to as like a closeted gay man. In nineteen forties America, we see the murder of Silhouette. But when we meet the older Silk Specter, she pines for those good old days. She's flattered that she's the subject of the Tijuana Bible, a pornographic comic. She says, you know, the grimy bits of your life get a little bit brighter as the world gets darker. Everyone is just so steeped in this nostalgia for this world that is no longer there, and wasn't even that great to.
Speaker 4: Begin with a frequent theme on our show, like when we talked about Blockbuster, and we're like, we have such nostalgia for this thing that kind of wasn't that great, but it's just gotten so much worse since then that it seems great in comparison.
Speaker 2: M I find now at a certain point in my life, I get this doalgic frisian from things I didn't even like when I was young, Like songs I fucking hated when I was twelve come on the radio and I'm like, oh yeah, And I mean part of it is just remembering being young in general.
Speaker 1: Right. I was recently at the Washington Nationals Hot Dog Day, where lots of Glizzy themed puns and memes and costumes and shirts, and they played the song who Let the Dogs Out by the Baha Men many, many, many times. That was a song that I thought was so stupid when I was a child, and now I look back on it fondly in the context of five dollars Glizzy Day at the Washington Nationals ball Bar. Okay, the last kind of two interrelated themes that I want to talk about. One is apocalyptic anxiety, which is fucking huge in this work. You know what is the iconic Washman logo. It's a smiley face with the blood drop indicating the doomsay clock. We are five minutes to midnight, right. It drives the plot of the work. We are about to end it all. This is the you're in the back alley that our Watchman hero need to solve. That's their ethical quandary. How do we keep us from killing each other? And how does that apocalyptic anxiety manifest? Or the comedian it's in the meaninglessness of life Rosamandies is solving it through his fucked up own doomsday plot. YadA, YadA, YadA. The thing I think about this theme is that it hit in the nineteen eighties. When it came out, people were still talking about conflict with the Russians and nuclear war. But this does not hit like it used to. And in my research for this episode, I learned the doomsday clock is still a thing. Yep. The International Association of Atomic Scientists or whatever still run the clock, and they have included climate change is one of the things that moves the doomsday clock up. And let me tell you, friends, were at less than two minutes to midnight it is. It's actually worse the doomsday clock than it was when Watchman came out.
Speaker 2: Really cue the Iron Maiden.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, yup.
Speaker 2: I could talk for a minute, because I want to touch on both this and nostalgia as a theme, because they're kind of intertwined.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Please.
Speaker 2: The book spends a bit of time with Fite and his sort of psychoanalyzing the social salt by watching twenty TVs at once from his throne, and he talks in it about nostalgia being a thing that becomes popular when times themselves are kind of grim, right, people think about things were so good in the past, where did we go wrong? And it's significant that we've just kind of been there and been sitting with those same apocalyptic anxieties since the eighties, since the onset of neoliberal economics, since since we had this sort of underinvestment in stagnation and growth where things don't change. Even all these new technologies, they don't get deployed in a really transformational ways because that would be too demanding. So we're just like everything's sounded like the same but worse. And I think the apocalyptic anxieties go hand in hand with that, because when we can't feel the world getting better or dream of a better world, we imagine a world that is destroyed or sort of reborn through destruction. Like this movie has kind of a mini apocalypse that promises a possible better world. Have either of you seen Acura? Yes, yes, I just rewatched that for the show yesterday, and it came out around the same time the last issues of like eighty seven eighty eight of Watchmen would have been being published, I remember, right, And it is very much like, kind of similar in a lot of ways, and it has this same sense of this degenerated world that is hurtling towards some kind of self destruction that the population it seems to kind of crave because they know things have to be different somehow, and destruction can bring change maybe in the in the imagine area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very thoughtful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this idea that if all you can imagine for the future is the end of it, the apocalyptic end, or the worsening of conditions, the only natural place that you can go psychologically is to like obsess on the past, you know. And so tying these two themes together of like nostalgia and apocalypse.
Speaker 1: I always found it so weird that after the Soviet Union collapse, we stopped obsessing about nuclear war so much, where it's like, well, well, you know, the adversary has been defeated, the bad guys of the nuclear weapons are gone, but we still have all the nuclear weapons, right.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know, man, were you not listening to George Bush and his two thousand and three State of the Union when he heated to look out for nuclear nu jahadeen?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: One guy was worried about nuclear weapons in nineteen ninety eight, one hed aol Koji.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't need more things to worry about, but just be aware, listener, the nukes are still out there. Fallout can still happen. The last thing to mention, and it's related to everything we've been talking about nostalgia, apocalyptic anxiety, and we kind of already talked about this. But just like the deconstruction of American history, this book does such an excellent job at the world building. Zack Snyder does a good enough job with his montage to open it with his flashbacks. They're so grounded in the text, so much boomer winking, and yeah, just this view that the twentieth century didn't go the way that it should have, either in their world or as we understand in ours nineteen seven, these riots that are happening. Night Owl two says, the country's disintegrating. What happened to America? What happened to the American Dream? This is a line in both the book and film, and the comedian, wearing his BDSM mask outfit in the comic a shoulder pad with the Captain America star and holding a shotgun says, it came true. You're looking at it. Now, come on, let's really put these jokers through some changes, right. This is the American dream of the late twentieth century. It is the meeting out of violence. It is doing unto others what you want. Okay, so let's start to wrap up here.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to mention quickly that I read the comic Red Sun the Superman comic in this last week, and I thought that they were very similar, which was interesting because I mean that also comes out in the two thousands and is retrospectively looking at the past, and the plot of that is that Superman lands on a farm in Ukraine instead of Smallville, and he becomes the leader of the USSR after Stalin dies, which he figures this is the position in which he can do the most good, right from the top of the country, That's where he can do the most good. And so then the issue becomes now that Superman is responsible for the state, he has to do things like state repression of free speech right very much in line with The Watchman, which is like what happens when a superhero is in line with the state and is forced to meet out justice based on their own personal ideology. But some interesting parallels in that story was that the US crumbles because they can't keep up with the USSR because the Superman is part of their state. And yet the main ideas are that like, if you enhance the capability of the state through superpowers, then you are sort of inherently relying on personal ideology, which is extremely problematic.
Speaker 1: It's the best Superman story. The best Superman stories, because he's so powerful, are not about him punching guys. It's about him wrestling with ethical questions, which is how much should I help these people and how much should they help themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I also just wanted to mention that I had never seen this before watching it for the pod The Watchman and I had a date and I was like, Oh, I have to watch this movie for the pod. Do you want to watch it with me? And she was like sure, And so I put on the Zack Snyder Director's cut of The Watchman, which I got to say, uh, not a great date movie.
Speaker 1: It's uh, I gotta ask your Dana. Was it the director's cut or was it the ultimate cut?
Speaker 4: It was the whatever, the longest one was, That's what it was. And like four hours into it, she was like, well, what's the point of all of these pirate ship scenes?
Speaker 1: And I was like, I don't know. Came out looking dumb on your date night movie. It's like I can't interpret this. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I've like had to apologize so many. I was like, there's still two hours left. I'm so sorry, But yeah, I didn't love the Ultimate super cut or whatever it's called.
Speaker 1: Going into Watchman blind is fucking crazy. Someone I saw this with in two thousand and nine was there and like, it is a weird film if you haven't read the text. Well, I remember watching it with like a very normy, nice guy. He's a doctor. Now he was like, we're in Antarctica, now, like we're on Mars, like, what what is happening?
Speaker 4: I will say I had a very similar experience where like, the first time I watched it, I was like, what.
Speaker 1: The fuck is this?
Speaker 4: This is fucking stupid, And then like after I finished it, I'm like, let me run it back, and I like watched the first hour and then already knowing what they were doing, like who the comedian was, why he was murdered. I gotta say I enjoyed it far more having already known what was going on, but that first time was rough.
Speaker 1: This is why it's like not a great adaptation is that it is only for people who have already read it because of Zack Snyder's reverence. I think it's a very unapproachable film if you have not read it already. Hi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I read it well before the movie came out. I never thought about that. It's also sort of interesting that this movie even got made, because it's one of those things where it's clearly like the source material developed all of this cultural prestige without anybody realized it didn't necessarily translate to like a one hundred and fifty million dollar budget movie audience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the movie lost money, Like I'm sure that they've eventually recouped it on Blu Ray Ultimate Cut sales or something, but your theatrical release it lost money. But you can see how it would have been made considering like the main thesis of your podcast is that, like all of our movie making resources in the last twenty years have been pointed at making superhero IP content, and so it's an easy sell to be like, hey, here's this massively popular graphic novel featuring superheroes. Can I have one hundred and eighty million dollars to make this?
Speaker 2: It is, but only from the movie producer brain. Logically, you don't actually sit down and read it and go, oh Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, not important.
Speaker 2: Like leave Astoria, gentleman, is just as is even weirder because that was a less popular comic that is much weirder in dealing with more esoteric material. Have either of you read Leary Story?
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, I've seen the film, but I have not read the comic.
Speaker 2: So in the comic, among many men any other things, the film is not much of an adaptation. One of the things that happens in the comic is Spoiler's mister Hyde as in Jekyl and rapes the Invisible Man to death.
Speaker 1: Hey Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, very very weird choice for adaptation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like, okay, this is I'm not gonna be a fucking nerd continuity or guy. But one of the video essays I watched on YouTube pointed out deep into the film, like we're at pass the two hour twenty minute mark, at the climax in Antarctica, Ozumandias tries to vaporize Doctor Manhattan with the same industrial accident that led to doctor John Austerman becoming Doctor Manhattan. And he comes back. He's giant. He smashes his blue hand through the glass ceiling and he says, reassembling myself was the first thing I learned how to do. It couldn't stop John Osterman. Do you think it will stop me? That is the first time in the film that the name John Osterman has been dropped. It It is maybe not in some of the extra cuts, but in the theatrical cut they never say John Ousterman's name. Oh. It's just like one of these little things where like that line had to be there because it was verbatim from the comics, but because you're cutting words. If you went in Truly Blind, you could be like, who the fuck is John Austen. I mean, you can use context clues to figure out that's probably him. But like just little things that go completely unexplained, like Ozamandiez's genetically engineered Lynx Boubastis is just there without comic that's explained in the comics. The fact that the existence of Doctor Manhattan creating new materials is why we live in this retrofuturist nineteen eighties. Also something that's like not really underlined and explained. Again, makes total sense if you've come in having done your homework for this movie. But yeah, I don't think a movie that requires homework is going to be the most commercially successful.
Speaker 2: Even like the pirate comic thing, I mean, whine. If you read the comic within a comic closely, you see the thematic parallels with the main story, But it's also like part of the world building where superheroes existed in real life. So supero comics kind of fizzled out and pirate comics became the hot thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll add one last miscellaneous thing because I think we need to say. We talked about Zack Snyder's homophobia. When we talked about three hundred about how he kind of alided any gay stuff from ancient Greece. This movie kept every single instance of homophobia from the comics. That includes Silhouette getting murdered with the graffitied caption lesbian whores. During the Keen Riots, a rioter calls the comedian the homophobic f slur Rorschach in his journal says, possible homosexual. They have to investigate, right, all the homophobia that was there in the comics, you know what's getting in there. Zack Snyder was saying, Well, that's just how it is, That's just how the text is. But there is a subplot involving some lesbian lovers in the comic, and one of whom wants to put up a gay rights poster, And there's this moment where the two lovers are having a little bit of spat right before the world ends, and like humanity comes in to help them like reconcile and like tear them apart from one another so that they don't engage in an act of violence right before everything goes down. Any positive gay stuff somehow ended up on the cutting room floor, but all the homophobia stated I've calmed down on the side.
Speaker 2: I don't think Zack Snyder is I mean, I think his politics are probably like sort of weird. I think he's sort of like a libertarian liberal, but I don't think he's like culturally right wing. I think three hundred probably has more to do with the source material and with this movie. I think that was just probably one of those things that was cut for time for streamlining the very large story. I think like the inclusion of Silan, even though it's just kind of in those like flashback scenes very briefly, the fact that they went out the way to include Silhouette, even if it also means including her homophobic murder, felt to me more like a statement on the side of gay rights. Like I think he's a you should be able to do whatever you want type guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I could be wrong. He could be lying about his politics in the couple times he's brought it up, but that's kind of the re I have on him. I think the Zach Schnyder super right wing guys. I think it's a common misread because his movies are often not that great and their stylization is so hyperbolic and kind of meat headed. I think people tend to read him sort of uncharitably.
Speaker 4: He probably just has like a fifteen year old's ideology. Yes, socially liberal, physically conservative. Wait, you don't physically conservative fifteen year olds. I think that's just like the fifteen year old view of the world. I think maybe why he gets to read his right wing is because he made three hundred. Yeah, but that's almost certainly more a result of Frank Miller.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're right, he does make the VJ Day kiss a lesbian kiss, like he has some I suppose, like attempts at inclusion there as well. So maybe he's been slightly unfairly maligned.
Speaker 2: He's a self identified feminist. Oh interesting, I think probably in kind of like a in some ways meat headed way. But like, are you familiar with Sucker Punch?
Speaker 1: No, but you mentioned it on your Watchman episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't seen it long time. It's a very strange movie. I don't think it's successful, Like I don't think most of his movie is successful. I'm not like a fan by just I feel a little bad because I think he's been badly misread because so many Snydercut guys are also kind of chuds. But that was a movie he wrote with his wife that was like, at least attempting to be like a feminist deconstruction movie. Okay, I I don't know if he succeeds, but that's what I was trying to do.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Bill Maher honestly. Yeah, right down to the Islamophobia in three hundred right.
Speaker 4: But just one more miscellaneous thought. I did like that the Minute Men being in the forties and The Watchmen being in the seventies. I did like the parallels on the comic industry at large, with like what is it the Silver and Golden Age of comics sort of overlapping with that area a little bit of meta commentary on the nature of superheroes in our own culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, now wrap up with some closing thoughts. As a film, I think it came out at this weird time where it's post Iron Man, it's post Dark Knight, right at the beginning of the cap inning that was about to happen. But like we've said a bunch of times, the greenlit this work without having read it. It's pretty unapproachable and unadaptable work. That is weird, especially if you haven't read the source material. It's slavishly, reverently faithful to try and please the fans, but it's also different enough from the source material because of the changes that we already talked about making them cool and making them sexy, making them badass, that the die hard fans aren't going to totally like it, truly just leasing no one. I think the problem is they tried to make a sincere Superhero film, trying to cash in on trends based off of work that was highly satirical of the genre and doing something a bit heaviier with both the genre and the medium. I don't know if that is an exercise that you can execute, but boy howdy did they try.
Speaker 2: It is a very well intentioned adaptation at least. Yeah, it's not coming from a place of contempt for the source material.
Speaker 1: No. I think even in the framing that I just said that makes it sound like nothing but a shameless cash grab, and it's definitely more than that because they try. I mean, they got my chemical romance to do that Dylan Comfort, and I'm embarrassed to say that it is still in my rotation. I think it goes really hard, but I'm a shameless MCR fan.
Speaker 4: I think an interesting question might be, let's take sort of what are considered to be the better two thousand superhero movies and take like spider Man, X Men, iron Man, Watchman in the Dark Knight, and say, like, what's your ranking of those five? Like, where does this fit into the list of the best superhero movies of the two thousands.
Speaker 2: I'd say maybe spider Man two at the top in terms of I think being closest to understanding the subject matter on its own terms. The Dark Knight I have ambivalent feelings about, but overall, I think it works as a movie in its own right. Overall, obviously the Joker performance alone is enough to make it. I think the X Men movies don't really hold up. Watchmen is is kind of in the middle somewhere. There's things about it. I like, there's a lot that I think doesn't work. Iron Man one of the better MCU move on that curve, But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have I mean, I might need to put it in the top five conversation, which is crazy because I don't love it that much as a movie. But I reread the graphic novel before I rewatched it, and there were some scenes that I liked seeing put on screen. I liked seeing the Rorshak arrest scene when he shoots the guy with a grappling gun, just like he does in the comics. I liked the scenes of Rorshak in jail. I found myself wanting certain scenes to be longer, which is fucking crazy given how long this film is. But in the graphic novel the conversations between Rorshak and his psychiatrists are so good. We're like, just interacting with Rorshak starts to have these deleterious effects on the psychiatrist's life. It hurts his marriage and whatnot, just being in close proximity with that. Like, I wish that could have been more fleshed out. Seeing the attempt at adapting the Unadaptable, Yeah, I enjoyed that. But like I've also seen a lot of people point out that even though it's so slavishly faithful, there's a lot of fluff that you can cut from this thing, just like long transitions out of scenes and like you have to play the full thirty seconds of ninety nine loop Balloons or whatever, and like you actually don't, Zack Snyder, you can shave minutes off this film just in the transitions.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean as somebody who watched the four hour version on a date. I concur with that.
Speaker 1: Conclusion, But yeah, I don't want the actual film to be shorter. I just want it to be longer in different ways.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I agree with Stu that it's sort of in the middle. Probably Spider Man in the Dark Night are better. And of course this movie benefits for being explicitly for adults rather than like being for adults and children.
Speaker 1: Big R rating. Maybe f Bomb's gore sex blue dicks. Oh, we didn't even mention all the blue dogs. It's been mentioned. I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's the one thing people seem to remember about this movie. But yeah, I think that, like, well, how I will generally rate it is like if it gives you some new understanding of the world and like leaves you with a piece of psychological jewelry that you can carry with you. That's the mark of a good movie to me. And I do find that the ethical question that this movie asks you, which comes from Alan Moore entirely, is something that kind of puts it above almost any other superhero movie in which you watch Iron Man and you're unchanged, you know, you watch X Men, and unless you really haven't thought about it at all. I thought about gay rights at all. Your money, you're mostly unchanged. And so that's one advantage this movie has, is it you know what, it's a movie that makes you think, I mean.
Speaker 1: The classic remember shuffle test? Are you happy this piece of media exists? And I think I have to say yes.
Speaker 4: That's the thing is like, if we're going to funnel all of our movie making resources at making superhero movies and recognizable IP, then there is like a cost to every movie that gets made, right, which is that like we're not making other things. And so if we're gonna send like two hundred million dollars at this movie and not six indie movies or something, we have to ask if we're happy this exists. I think that this is thoughtful enough that I am happy it exists.
Speaker 2: It's interesting as a largely unsuccessful adaptation in terms of why it doesn't succeed, in how the comparison can allow you to analyze and appreciate the original work.
Speaker 1: And if you want to talk about a real Watchman cash grab listener, I am embarrassed to say that in the late two thousands and early twenty tens, I had a big comic book reading phase, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. You gotta understand, it hadn't become our entire culture yet. I read a lot of graphic novels. I read a lot of comics, and in the early twenty tens, they made a Watchmen prequel series called Before Watchmen, and I wrote comic reviews for a comic book shop in Montreal. It was paid in comics. It was a bad deal. So I own every single issue of Before Watchmen. Now a stud fans may point out, what is there to prequelize? Isn't the book so filled with flashbacks and backstory that there really are no gaps to fill in? That's correct, But if you ever wanted a couple issues on what Dollar Bill was up to, they made them. They are eminently forgettable. I remember reviewing the Silk Spector one and it was like, you think there was Boomer nostalgia in the Watchmen, Oh my god, just wait until you read the thoroughly forgettable Before Watchmen comic prequels that came out in the early twenty tenths.
Speaker 2: What about what was it Doomsday clock?
Speaker 1: That sounds right?
Speaker 2: It was the sequel that managed to crossover with the actual sort of mainstream DC universe or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Good Watchman adaptation is of course to the HBO one, which we may or may not cover on our Patreon, which is a flawless segue to wrap it up the show. So, Stu, thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you for having me. This is fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're so happy to have Stu on. We have been listening to his show for a bit and they came on very last minute. We put this together in the eleventh hour of the doomsday clock of our show. And if you listener, remember shuffle and you're always asking us questions like, Hey, why don't you do an episode on the Hulk or why don't you do an episode on Spider Man? I got good news for you. If you head on over to Marvelous or the Death of Cinema, which will provide a link for in the description, you can check out their episodes on these movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, plug your show. Plug your show to our listeners.
Speaker 2: Marvelousdeath dot com, Patreon dot com, backslash Marvelous Death. If you like what you hear and want to hear more and send us little money. That's me my best friend, Nicole and Cole Netscape. You may or may not remember from Twitter.
Speaker 1: Is there any particular episodes that you really love and are proud of or think are a good entry to the show.
Speaker 2: I would say, just scroll through in whichever movie you're like, Oh, I kind of want to they have to say about that. I feel like that's better than anything I like, I'm so bad at imagining someone who's not me as the listener. If you do get on the Patreon though, or want to check that out, I would recommend our episode on the Very Weird Paulin Trevarro tweet indie drama thriller Book of Henry. Okay, one of the most fun ones we ever did.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tell us a little bit about your show. I tell the listener about your show.
Speaker 2: Marsa Dee's. The Cinema in terms of our mainline episodes, is a more or less chronological with diversions look through the landscape of major Hollywood franchise film releases, kind of since Ironman, where everything became about cinematic universes and not just like, oh, we could have a series of films and maybe some merch or whatever, but like everything's a multimedia super franchise and just kind of picking apart how it's always been a very commercial industry, but how the last fifteen to twenty years or more, it's really accelerated into kind of hyper commercialism. There's a space for a degree of if not like already ardiness, craftsmanship, a certain level of quality you could expect from the sets, just the basic script writing that has just been eroded by an increasingly assembly line process of production for major films.
Speaker 4: And you guys have a love I think for the source material too. Writ Like we did an X Men episode a month ago, and a few people write fully complained that we didn't know a lot about the comics, you know, And so if that is your complaint, I would say that you guys generally have a pretty good breadth of the source material depending. Yeah, I mean that's one of the reasons we brought Cole on because they, I mean, I know a little bit of comics.
Speaker 2: Cole really knows comics. And it's not about comic book movies per se, but that's been the dominant source of raw material for franchise films, so their expertise has been really helpful. But yeah, the idea is kind of that like it's as much as a lot of comics can be very dumb in juvenile, there's also a lot of imagination and interesting ideas in them, and the best ones do reach the level of literature and quality of any other medium, and these adaptations tend to strip out what's most interesting about them, even ones that might not be like, oh, they're not Watchmen, They're not like literature, but they have that raw imagination or weirdness that you get from like a pulp sci fi novel, from just like a weird guy or weird artists sitting down with their ideas, and all of that gets sanded away when they turn it into Doctor Strange seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you so much Stu for coming on the show this week and talking about Alan Moore. We've revisited him many times now unintentionally. His work just seems to keep popping up in the two thousands.
Speaker 1: And shameless plug for this show. Please like, subscribe, risk to comment, do all that Remember Shuffle engagement, And we also have a Patreon you can get a little bit more Watchman content there.
Speaker 2: Yes, get on the Remember Shuffle Patreon. You guys do a great show. I've been listening for years it's a tremendous pleasure to have been on. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: That's so kind, Thank you, thank you for coming. All right, have a good one. Caut out au revoir