Speaker 1: Welcome back to this month's Patreon exclusive Miniso.
Speaker 2: I'm Robin, I'm Jules, and I'm Ashley, and we want to wish all of you beautiful Patreon a safe and happy holiday season. So let's dive right into this month's case.
Speaker 3: April fifth, nineteen eighty five, Great Balls, Montana. After an orderous place to a pizza parlor from a residential house, one of their drivers, twenty three year old Morris Davis, makes a delivery to that address. Morris is fatally shot eight times in his delivery while it is stolen, but it would turn out the house was vacant and the killer had broken inside to wait for Morris to arrive. The case features some odd twists and turns, including an unlikely series of events involving the potential murder weapon, but the identity of Morris's killer remains unknown.
Speaker 1: After that, the path went chilly. So on this month's bonus minisod, we're going to be covering a disturbing case from Unsolved Mysteries, the nineteen eighty five murder of Morris Davis. This is a memorable story which has always struck a chord with fans of the show, but unfortunately It's also one of those dreaded segments which is currently not available for viewing on their official film Rise channel on Amazon Prime or YouTube, and that's incredibly frustrating since the case is still unsolved after all these years and could use the additional exposure. The murder of Morris Davis is a particularly senseless crime about a pizza delivery driver who was assigned to deliver an order to what turned out to be a vacant house, where he was ambushed and shot several times. It became apparent that the crime was an elaborate setup in which Morris was intentionally lured to this address in order to be killed, but the motive remains unclear. Since the pizza parlor employed multiple drivers, it's unlikely that the perpetrator could have known for certain that Morris would be assigned to make this delivery. He may not have been specifically targeted and was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. But while robbery could have been the motive, only a couple hundred dollars was stolen from Morris, So why would the killer go to so much trouble to do something like this. The investigation is headed in a number of odd directions, and it's possible that one of the reasons the original Unsaw Mystery segment is no longer available for viewing is because it's spent a lot of time focusing on a lead which turned out to be quite controversial. But we'll share more details about that when we get there.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this investigation is already pointing to the idea that someone lured a pizza driver to this vacant house to complete a burglary, but with the intention to also complete a murder as well. But they couldn't have possibly known that it would have been Morris that was coming to deliver the pizza. So are there any leads or evidence that show there's some way that Morris was actually assigned to make this delivery, that someone at the pizza parlor could have known to send him. Or do you think someone just planned the crime and Morris happened to be the one bringing the pizza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this was probably a random thrill kill of some sort because he whoever did this probably didn't even care which driver was sent. They just wanted to kill somebody. Because the way this pizza place worked, it sounded like, okay, we received the order it's ready, let's give it to the first available driver, and it just happened to be Morris. So I suspect that no one could have known ahead of time that he would be the one going to this address.
Speaker 2: And you'd also wonder for the perpetrator. You know that they can't carry that much cash on them. I mean, if you think about someone who's delivering pizzas, maybe you would make three or four stops before returning and dropping cash off back at the restaurant. So to me, it almost feels as if the intent was actually the murder, like you said, Robin, possibly a thrill kill of.
Speaker 1: Some kind exactly because they should have known that he was not going to be carrying that much cash on him.
Speaker 3: And I feel like to get several hundred dollars that is kind of a win there, because you don't know how much pizza this person's going to be delivering, and it might only be a couple of different deliveries. And this is nineteen eighty five, so how much really could a pizza cost. It's not like today where you can get a couple of pizzas and it's like one hundred bucks. You probably get like two pizzas for thirty bucks, so they'd be lucky to get one hundred dollars. That feels like a lot of work to put in for a hundred bucks, unless it was, like you'd said, Robin, a thrill kill. Or this is somebody who had a substance use disorder and they were looking for some kind of easy mark and any amount of money would have been worth it to feed their addiction. Our story begins in Great Falls, Montana, in nineteen eighty five. Our central figure is twenty three year old Morris Davis Junior, who works as a delivery man at a local pizza parlor called Howard's Pizza. At eight thirty four pm on the evening of April fifth, which happened to be Good Friday, the establishment received an order for a pizza delivery to a residential house on the northwest side of Great Falls. After the pizza was made, it was handed over to Morris for delivery and he left it around nine point fifteen. After an hour and a half passed by, Morris had still not returned, so another driver was sent out to look for him and went to the address of Morris's last delivery. When the driver entered the house, he was shocked to find Morris's body near the front door. He'd been shot nine times with a twenty two calibi weapon. The police were called, and in a cruel twist of fate, one of the paramedics who arrived at the scene was Morris's younger brother, Cliff Davis, who entered the house and let out a scream when he saw Morris's body on the floor. Cliff accompanied his brother in the ambulance to the hospital, but Morris was pronounced dead on arrival.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I just got chills up and down my arms and my neck. This is horrific. You have a young paramedic who's called out to respond to a shooting, and when he arrives it's his own older brother who's been executed. He's been shot nine times. That seems like such overkill, even for someone who's doing this for a thrill or doing it as a robbery gone wrong. Nine times by the second or third shot, I feel like you would be confident that this person was deceased exactly.
Speaker 1: And Cliff is one of the most the victim's family members in all the cases I've covered, who I've helped most sorry for because I can't think of too many others where a victim's family is summoned to a murder scene and has no idea what to expect, because I'm sure Cliff didn't know ahead of time that Morris was going to be delivering to this address, so he wasn't sure what he was getting when he was going in, and then to see his own brother on the floor, but to still maintain enough composure to accompany him to the hospital and try to do his job. But I can't think of too many other cases in which something like this has happened.
Speaker 3: And as you worked on cold cases with cold case investigators, so I think you probably have a unique understanding of what it's like for first responders when they come upon a deceased individual, particularly a murder, and then to add the other layers and nuance when you add in the victim's family being one of those first responders, like, I just can't imagine that type of trauma.
Speaker 2: I can't either. I mean, the reality is is that officers will tell you that they're trained in condition to separate themselves, same with paramedics. I have to separate myself from the situation, but that's not humanly poss if they're vulnerable, and they're sharing how they actually feel when there is a deceased individual, when there's a murder, when there is someone who's hurting, or even the family that you're responding to is hurting, empathy takes over and there is a connection to that case, whether you know the person or not. And then this is someone walking up and seeing their big brother literally just riddled with bullets inside this vacant home, the trauma that would come with that, where yes, I'm supposed to be doing a job, it's supposed to be this clinical kind of task that I have, and then I'm shocked with the idea that this is my brother. And you know that Cliff was pretty confident that his brother was deceased at that point or wasn't going to be able to make it very long. So he's battling that kind of please make this, Morris, please make this, trying to do a job to save him, and then realizing as they're getting to the hospital that his brother didn't make it. I can't even express how much heartbreak that causes when you think about Cliff and Morris and what that dynamic would have been like.
Speaker 1: So, based on the forensic evidence, investigators theorized that Morris was shot when he first entered the house, but still tried to make a break for it, but when he ran outside, the killer fired another bullet into him, before dragging Morris back into the house and shooting him additional times. On the surface, it appeared that robbery might have been the motive for the crime. Morris's delivery wallet, which contained just under three hundred dollars, was missing, though strangely, Morris's own personal wallet was left behind. However, whoever committed the crime had orchestrated a very elaborate scheme. It turned out the house Morris delivered to his vacant, and the killer went to the trouble of removing a for sale sign from the front lawne. Since the house did not have phone service, the killer went to a nearby payphone to place the order for the pizza before breaking into the house through the back door. He then waited for Morris to arrive, shot him after he entered the house, and then fled with his delivery wallet. Morris was filling in for another driver who had originally been scheduled to work that night, and since the pizza parlor employed several drivers, the killer could not have known with one hundred percent certainty that Morris would be assigned to deliver this order. By all accounts, Morris was a very well liked guy with no known enemies, so it seemed like he was not deliberately targeted and was just a victim of a completely random crime.
Speaker 2: Holy cow, when you say that this was a highly orchestrated crime, you're not fibbing on that. He literally removes a for sale sign from the front yard, makes a point to get to a payphone to provide the address to the pizza delivery people, and then once Morris comes in and is shot, he tries to run, the shooter shoots him again and then drags him back into the house to continue to shoot him. At what point did you just grab the wallet and run instead of having these just overkill of poor Morris? You had already hurt him, He was already run. It was a vacant house, It wasn't registered to you, There was no phone associated with you. Why would you have to kill the person? You got the money, you injured the person, run, But this killer said no, that's not enough. They actually were waiting for him to come with a home that they had targeted because no one would know who was there. They used the payphone. They then drag a shot wounded individual back into the house to empty what seven more bullets at that point into the body. It's wild. It just blows my mind as so far as what would be the motivation for this.
Speaker 3: How many bullets does it Guten hold in his clip?
Speaker 1: A good question. I know that there are six shooters, but I know that this obviously was not one of them, because I'm curious to see if they if he might have reloaded, but when he fired, I'll these shots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did he empty a clip? Did he reload?
Speaker 2: I think it's a pistol. Did it a pistol, Robin?
Speaker 1: Yes? Twenty two caliber?
Speaker 2: Is it a revolver? Robins? I know, yeah, no, semi automatic?
Speaker 1: Possibly they never found the murder weapons. I'm not entirely sure.
Speaker 3: All they know is a caliber bullet and.
Speaker 1: He'd been shot nine times with a twenty two caliber bullet.
Speaker 2: It says anywhere from six to nine for a revolver or ten to twenty for a semi automatic, so.
Speaker 1: It's possibly fired the maximum if it holds nine.
Speaker 3: Another question for you, Robin, And this might sound like a stupid question, But what happened to the pizza that he was delivering. Was the piza just left there? Was it taken?
Speaker 1: They never released that information. It's possible that this is one of those details that they're not releasing to the public to weed out false confessions. We're going to talk about this later in the miniso at about another pizza related murder where the killer did take the pizza away from the scene after they shot the victim. But it doesn't specify in this case.
Speaker 3: Because it would seem to be odd to take the pizza and just take the delivery wallet, but to leave his personal wallet behind. Did he have any money in his personal wallet?
Speaker 1: That's another detail that they haven't specified. But I think that if his wallet had been empty or had very little money, they might have mentioned that. But they keep saying how it was very strange that had been left behind, which makes me think he did at least have a decent amount of cash in there.
Speaker 3: The investigation failed to uncover a solid suspect and remained at a total standstill for three years before a very strange series of events occurred. On May eleventh, nineteen eighty eight, a man was pulled over in another town in Montana and arrested for driving in a stolen vehicle, which he'd taken from a friend in Oregon. The suspect had also stolen a twenty two caliber semi automatic pistol from his friend, and a receipt for the gun was found in his pocket for a pawn shop in Great Falls, which was located one hundred and eighty miles from where he was arrested. The Great Falls Police Department recovered the gun from the pawnshop, but then remembered how Morris Davis had been shot to death with a twenty two caliber weapon, so on a whim, they decided to send the gun to the ballistics lab for ten To their astonishment, there turned out to be a complete match to the bullets from the crime scene, and the stolen gun was determined to be the same murder weapon which killed Morris. The suspect who had stolen the vehicle in the gun was investigated and cleared of any involvement in Morris's murder, so the focus now turned towards the gun's original owner in Oregon, who'd purchased the weapon prior to April of nineteen eighty five. This man's name has never been released publicly, but he agreed to be interviewed in silhouette on Unsolved Mysteries in order to conceal his identity. The show also digitally altered his voice when he spoke and referred to him by the pseudonym Rick.
Speaker 2: So this person gets pulled over. They've stolen a car from a friend, and I'm assuming this quote, Rick is the one who calls in says, my friend stole my car. When they discover him, he has a receipt where he's dropped all of this stuff off at the pawn shop, and they link at that weapon back to Morris's death. So of course you're going to go back to Rick quote end quote and say that you know you were linked to this murder. Explain yourself, where was the gun at the time. Does Rick have an explanation as to what would have happened with that weapon if he was not in possession of it at the time of Morris's murder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm about to explain that right now. And this is where things get really confusing. Your head is probably going to explode when I tried to explain what happened here. Let's do that, Okay, So Rick denied any involvement or knowledge of Morris's murder, and claimed that in April of nineteen eighty five he had a newborn son, so he was keeping the twenty two caliber pistol safely stowed away in a hall closet between some blankets. The problem is that nobody else besides Rick and his wife knew the gun was kept there, and he did not recall it ever going missing. During this time period, Rick was thoroughly investigated by the Great False PD, who determined that he had rock Slid alibi at the time of Morris's murder and they had no reason to believe he was involved in the crime. So on the surface, it seemed like someone else had stolen the gun from Rick's closet, traveled the Great Falls to shoot Morris, and then returned to Oregon to somehow place the gun back inside his closet without anybody noticing. This lead baffled the hell out of everyone for years, but it turned out there was a logical or illogical explanation for the whole thing. The Great Falls PD simply screwed up the ballistics tests. In nineteen ninety five, some new ballistic tests were performed and guess what this time, the bullets which were fired did not match the bullets from the crime, which meant that Rick's gun from Oregon was not actually the murder weapon used to shoot Morris Davis. So, unfortunately, this whole series of events turned out to be one of the strangest red herrings in history. The investigation went right back to square one, and after nearly thirty nine years, no one has ever been charged with the murder of Morris Davis. So I guess you could say the path went chile.
Speaker 2: How do you perform an improper ballistics test? My question for you is were these striations on the bullet and the markings on the bullet were they true matches or is it a personnel problem when they were interpreting the striations on the bullet or is it just that actually the test was performed in an incorrect way, actually making similar mark That doesn't make any sense to me.
Speaker 1: I'm still confused it by it myself. But they seem to have the great false PD a lot of faith in the results of these tests, because this was the main reason the case got national exposure and unsolved mysteries, Because this was a big mystery. How did this gun from this guy's closet in Oregon somehow get used in a murder of a guy in Montana and make it back into his closets. So for years no one could explain that. And like I just said, it was not until the mid nineteen nineties that they decided to double check and realized, oh, these don't match. After all, this is not the murder weapons. So I have no idea why this was screwed up so badly that I would definitely rank this as one of the worst blunders I've ever seen in a police investigation.
Speaker 2: Tell me about it. And this is the part with junk science where you have you know, yes, there's a actual ballistics protocol that allows for good testing, but when you have physical evidence being interpreted by human beings, which I'm assuming is what went wrong here, it opens up the floodgates to say, based on someone's human eye and the way that they examine evidence, you can say these two things match, lead to rick and actually pin a crime on somebody who had a newborn baby and a gun locked in a closet at the time. So had they not done a thorough investigation and gone back to re look at his evidence to say that these bullets actually did not match. It's possible that someone could have been falsely accused and arrested and served time, and Morris's murder that they, you know, that didn't have anything to do with it. So it's frustrating that we do have human beings who were relied on to make these kind of decisions, which is their career, which I know ninety nine percent of them pick very seriously. But to me, that's the only explanation. It would have been human error in interpreting the results, and when examined several years later, they said, uh, oh, we made a mistake.
Speaker 3: And in nineteen eighty five, what did ballistics testing look like? Would it have been like fingerprint comparison matching where there's a lot of subjectivity because you have somebody who's just like matching points because there wouldn't have been access to computer programs like there are today to be able to compare all of those points that is far more accurate than our human eye is. So do either of you know what ballistic testing looked like in nineteen eighty five?
Speaker 1: Not really, No, I'm assuming it was pretty primitive, But I personally think this might have been a case of confirmation biased because the recovery of this weapon from the pawnshop took place three years after Morris's murder, and they had had pretty much zero leads during this time, and they were thinking, well, it's another twenty two caliber weapon, which is kind of like the weapon in Morris's murder, So maybe they just wanted it to match so badly so they could solve this case that they maybe just misinterpreted the results of the testing and that's how this happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that tho striations and the way you would indicate would be like you were saying, Jules, I would think that it would be very similar to saying we're going to match different points. And then that does leave a huge you know, I don't know. It allows for so much subjectivity and interpretation, and when you say can these two match? Do these two things match? You do get that confirmation bias where someone wants to help and they want to see something that may not be there.
Speaker 1: Well, needless to say, I'm always really bothered by these completely random and senseless crimes where an innocent person is murdered for something as small as a couple hundred bucks, and because of the randomness of these crimes, it's often very difficult to figure out who is responsible. In this particular case, I have a feeling the perpetrator just wanted to kill someone and didn't even care who it was. Ibbery was the primary motive. I think there would have been simpler ways to go about it, and if this person had simply pointed their gun at Morris and told him to hand over his money, Morris probably would have complied without any resistance. The fact that the gunman would commit major overkilled by shooting Morris nine times and didn't even bother taking his personal wallet makes me think he was more interested in committing a thrill kill than a simple robbery. Since Morris was not originally scheduled to work that night and the perpetrator couldn't have been certain he would make the delivery, this was probably not a personal killing and Morris was just a victim who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Speaker 2: For me, it seems like anybody who carries money the policy with your employer would be given to somebody. Right. It's nothing is worth losing your life over, and it's especially not a pizza delivery man, But I mean anybody someone collecting money from banks, someone taking large amounts of money from one institution to another. If someone confronts you with a gun and says I'm going to kill you or give me your money, you give them your money. Morris had no need to defend those three hundred dollars with his life, especially while he's employed a pizza delivery service. So I think you're right, Robin. It seems like this person wanted to hurt somebody, and that to me, robbery really wasn't necessarily even the motive, because unless they were some really, really sick addict who was sober enough to plan removing a for sale sign, finding a vacant home, going to a payphone, and making a delivery, all that is so planned and clear minded that it would be hard for me to think that this was an addic so strung out that that money was that important to them. So for me, it almost feels like hurting the person dragging them back into the home, unloading the rest of your magazine into them, that that was the priority for this person, and they happened to get three hundred dollars when they did it, they left his own personal wallet that could have been so that they couldn't get caught and didn't have a driver's license or credit cards with his name or something on it at the time. But to me, money was not the priority.
Speaker 3: I agree, And don't you both think that it's possible that? Okay, So, say he had his work related pizza delivery wallet in one of his front pockets. Say he was shot and he fell on his back, and maybe his personal wallet was just in his back pocket and the killer didn't even know to look for it.
Speaker 1: That is true. Yeah, Like, we don't even know if this person had a vehicle, if they had any transportations, so they may have felt, well, I fired gunshots, I have to get out of the area as quickly as possible in case neighbors heard them. So after finding the delivery wallet, he just didn't bother checking the personal wallet and just ran out of there as quick as he could.
Speaker 3: Sadly, before the days of color id, GPS and the Internet, it wasn't uncommon for people to place sony orders like this in order to lure delivery people to locations where they could be robbed or harmed. For another example of a crime like this, there's the murder of Travis robson a twenty one year old delivery driver at a Domino's pizza outlet in Billings, Montana, on December thirteenth of nineteen ninety. Travis was shot to death while attempting to deliver a pizza to an address which turned out to be an abandoned house, and this time the killer wound up stealing a grand total of thirteen dollars and forty cents from Travis's delivery wallet, as well as the pizza. What's particularly creepy is that the Unsolved Mystery segment about Morris Davis's murder had aired only a week earlier, on December fifth. Given the similarities between these two crimes and the fact that they both took place in Montana, investigators wondered if this was a copycat crime or if the show might have inspired Morris's killer to strike again. While only one week after Travis was killed, two suspects, twenty two year old Billy Lamond and eighteen year old Randall Lyon Shows were arrested for his murder, and they eventually pled guilty and received lengthy prison sentences. The two men were never connected to Morris's murder, and it's highly unlikely that they were involved, given that they still would have been kids back in nineteen eighty five, but it is creepy to think that they might have gotten the idea for their crime from watching Unsolved Mysteries.
Speaker 2: And again, you had a young kid, you had Travis, who is only twenty one years old, murdered as a pizza delivery man, And you're right, it's very possible that this is a copycat crime motivated by the high exposure that they were getting on Unsolved Mysteries in nineteen ninety I remember Unsolved Mysteries and Rescue nine one one being like the hot shows back to back that I would love tuning into. It was really popular, and so at the time for an eighteen and twenty year old to think, hey, we could get a lot of notoriety by doing something similar. That's an easy crime to get away with that I could see that inspiring these two zero part of me thinks that they could be linked to Morris's because they would have been thirteen and eighteen at the time of Morris's murder, and that just seems like such a large scale, elaborate killing for these two young kids to do.
Speaker 1: And stories like this just make me very grateful that in this era of constant food delivery that they're much more better safety measures in place, that you can now look ahead of time to make sure you're not delivering food to an abandoned house, and you have all sorts of protections like GPS, and you have cell phones and stuff, so we have less of these crimes where delivery people get lured out to these remote locations for the express purpose of killing them.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Morris's family had reached out to Unsolved Mysteries for two years to get his case featured on the show before they finally agreed to produce a segment with so little evidence to work with. I think the primary reason Unsolved Mysteries might have been interested in the story was because of the weird series of events involving the twenty two caliber pistol which was stolen from Oregon. Robin will tell you that when he first watched this segment back in the day, he was left completely baffled by the whole situation and just could not figure out how this gun could have traveled from Oregon to Montana and back to Oregon again if it was used in the crime. But when Robin learned that the original ballistics test had been botched. He felt like banging his head against a wall. I mean, my god, how much time and resources were wasted investigating this false lead. You had to feel bad for the man known only as Rick, the gun's original owner from Oregon. It must be pretty terrifying to learn that a gun you owned was used to kill someone in a different state and you can offer no explanation for how this happened. I think the main reason the original Unsolved Mystery segment is no longer available on their official channel is because it focuses so much on Rick. Even when it's mentioned that Rick has been cleared as a suspect, Morris's brother Cliff still openly directs suspicion towards him as he just cannot understand Rick's gun, as he just cannot understand how Rick's gun could have been used in the crime without him knowing about it. Thankfully, Rick wasn't railroaded and falsely implicated in a murder that he had nothing to do with. But then, how frustrating must it have been for Morris's family to find out this lead was a giant red herring and the investigation had reached a dead end.
Speaker 2: Again, Rick is incredibly lucky. Everything would have pointed to him at the time right that the Great Rapids Police Department, they thought that they were doing a fantastic or Great Falls sorry, Great Falls Police Department thought that they were doing a fantastic job by linking evidence, which they were. They were paying attention to different crimes. It could have been related, and they were able to show that ballistics matched a gun found at Rick's house, and with that alone, they could have implicated Rick in the murder of Morris. The reality is, back in the eighties and nineties, there wasn't an ability for a lot of extra check and balances. Once Rick would have gotten convicted of the crime based on faulty science, proving that he's innocent would have been nearly impossible. We've seen that in multiple cases throughout the United States. And the reality is is that this was all for nothing. You had the family convinced that you had to lead in the case. You had the United States wondering what happened while they watched this unsolved mystery segment. And even though Rick was cleared, I guarantee you if anyone knew his identity or was able to link somebody to this case and say, oh, I think that's quote Rick. You know that there would be suspicion around him, even though years later the results showed that this test was faulty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are many documented wrongful conviction cases in which someone was sent to prison based on faulty ballistics evidence, particularly back in the nineteen eighties and seventies before a lot of this stuff was kind of exposed as a junk science. And I think Rick is just lucky that he did not live in Great Falls or anywhere else in nearby Montana. So they figured, well, we can place him in Oregon in April of nineteen eighty five, so we can't pin this crime on him. But if he had lived closer than it is very possible he would have been charged and sent to prison. However, the investigation did eventually uncover another individual who seems like a fairly solid suspect in Morris's murder. On October sixth, nineteen eighty six, eighteen year old Susette Pritchard was working an overnight shift alone at a Great Falls convenience store when she was murdered by someone who came in and stopped her twenty four times before stealing three hundred dollars. The case went unsolved for eleven years before police received information from a prison informant about an innate named Donald Dubray. Dubray had an extensive criminal history and was serving a twenty seven year sentence for rape at Montana State Prison, where he had apparently bragged about being responsible for Susette Pritchard's murder. After an extensive investigation uncovered evidence to implicate Tobray in the crime, he was charged and convicted of robbery, felony, theft, and murder. He received a life sentence for the murder, plus an additional twenty years for robbery and ten years for felony theft. If that wasn't enough, a state district judge ordered that five thousand, one hundred and fifty dollars be garnished from Dubray's prison wages in order to pay restitution to the Pritchard family for the expenses they had incurred from Sussette's funeral.
Speaker 2: Okay, so when you talk about the link to Morris's, she's this little girl is obviously killed and overkilled for three hundred dollars. Do you really think that Debray is the one who would have been tied to Morris's crime. Though. I mean, you have a stabbing and you have a shooting, you have overkilling both, you have three hundred dollars in both. But what do you guys think is the possibility that there isn't actually a link.
Speaker 3: It's a different victimology, for sure.
Speaker 1: It is like the method is different. But the main reason I think they were interested in Debray is because it took place in Great Falls, only one year after Morris was murdered, and just kind of a similar mo where you stab just a regular worker several times or shoot them several times, only to steal a couple hundred dollars. So, even though they didn't have anything conclusive showing that he could have committed Morris's murderer, he definitely was worth looking at as a suspect.
Speaker 3: Ash Like, you looked at enough cold cases, don't you think that, Like stabbing and shooting is very different, and you're looking at completely different victimology, and this one almost reeks more of desperation, whereas the other one is a lot more organized.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly what I was about to say. You also have a male and female victim there's a lot of differences here. The three hundred dollars to me, seems to be the only thing and the level of overkill. But when you shoot someone, you have the luxury of having that distance between you and a sense of power without having to exert physical power. When you are going to go stab someone, there is an intimacy to that. Once you insort of blade into someone's skin and then you do it twenty four times, you think about the psychological power control, the sometimes sexual motivation, the desperation, and the rage that would come with that type of killing. It's different than this idea of almost toying with someone and being more cowardly in the way you execute someone. By being able to stand away from the victim, to close your eyes, to not have to really look at what you're doing, and to have that kind of gap in intimacy between the victim and the perpetrator. You have a female who's at work and is killed very quickly and radically with this twenty four stab wounds. I agree that that's more opportunistic and not as planned as the person who decided to take a for sale sign out of the yard to find a vacant home to make a call to this address to get the person in to shoot him, let him run, shoot him again, drag him back into the home to shoot him another seven times. There's just so much more of like a well thought out ability to separate yourself from the victim and to complete this crime. In the pizza murder versus this girdl who's at work, who's stabbed twenty four times.
Speaker 3: It's overkill versus like overkill in both cases in that like, you know, shooting someone nine times, you don't need to do it that many times obviously to get your desired result. And then to stab someone twenty four times feels like a loss of control. It feels like a classic organized offender in the pizza murder, that the murder of Morris versus a disorganized defender in the case where you're murdering eighteen year olds, who's that Pritchard and Debray is stabbing her twenty four times? It feels opportunistic, It feels messy, It feels like he loses control of his emotions and almost of his physical body, because to stab someone twenty four times takes a lot more energy than to empty a clip into somebody.
Speaker 1: Do you think It's might have been different though, just because Susette was a woman, Because maybe with Morris he was a larger man, it was more impersonal. He just wanted to shoot him from a distance, whereas if he was a misogynist, I mean, we know he was already in prison for rape. Maybe he just hated women so much that he wanted to change his mo and like unleash all these stabbing wounds on this poor girl.
Speaker 2: That is definitely possible. When you look at stabbing, there's an argument of does it, how so have a sexual component to it? So does that provide a different level of control and harm to the victim that excites the perpetrator. So it is possible knowing that there's a more vulnerable and smaller, less aggressive victim that might not be able to fight you back, that you might attack them in a different manner.
Speaker 3: You just open yourself up to making a real mess on your physical body, your clothes, but also to stab someone twenty four times. Not only will you have the blood of the victim on you, you're likely going to bleed on the victim because that knife is going to get real slippery, the chance of it slipping onto his hand and cutting him pretty good chance. I would say to stab somebody that many times, but I guess this is a time before DNA, so the consideration would be like, okay, so what's the most They could do? Blood type analysis, which doesn't really It can like rule you in or rule you out, but you're not going to be able to pinpoint exactly who is like say they were TYPO, who's a Type O contributor, just that you can't eliminate this person as a suspect. Say Debray had TYPEO, you can't eliminate him, but it could be any number of the seventy percent of the population that has OH positive blood well. In May of twenty sixteen, Debray was found dead in his prison cell at the age of fifty five. John Cameron, the Great Falls police detective who solved Susant Pritchard's murder, has publicly expressed his suspicions that Debray might have also been responsible for killing Morris Davis, since the crime took place in Great Falls only a year earlier, and both cases involved a victim being brutally murdered over a robbery of only a couple hundred dollars. Traffic tickets placed to Bray in Great Falls shortly before and after Morris's murder, and during this time period he had also committed a robbery in the town of Browning and shot another victim with a twenty two caliber weapon. For years, Cameron corresponded with Debray in prison and hoped that he might get him to confess to killing Morris, but this never happened. Now we have to concede that Detective Cameron is a bit of a controversial figure and has faced criticism for his tendency to develop tunnel vision in cases and focused too much on certain suspects. Following his retirement, Cameron published a book about serial killer Edward Wayne Edwards and attempted to link him to pretty much every famous murder in the past several decades, such as the Black Dahlia, the Zodiac Murders, Jimmy Hoffa, Adam Walsh, the West Memphis Three, John Manny Ramsay, Lacy Peterson, Reach the hall Bock. And I think it goes without saying that not everyone agrees with Cameron's assessment.
Speaker 2: I think that when you look at this Detective Cameron, he's doing what Edward Wayne Edwards himself did he's trying to get kind of this notoriety and excitement around these tragic cases and linking them to one person. It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Edward.
Speaker 2: Wayne Edwards himself claimed to have all these connections to these different famous crimes. But there's just, to my mind, no way. There's such different murders, there's such different locations, there's such different mos. And then you have this idea that you know, Detective Cameron almost effec and goes well. Obviously, if he's linked to all these types of diverse murders, he could also be linked to you know, this murder itself. It's just it's crazy. When you look at Debray, he's doing the same thing. He's saying, Debray killed this person. Debray did this crime. Yes, these are all very different mos and different locations, but I can link them. You could do that with almost any criminal who has multiple offenses. You could start placing them in locations. You could start looking at the method that they use to kill someone. There's only so many mos, there's only so many victimologies, there's only so many locations to commit crimes. And so if you want to find someone and pin them to a certain crime without evidence supporting that. It's easy to do as a puzzle piece, right, just to find these random facts and say, oh, see, you know peace number A in this case and Peace number F in this case. They all fit together. But it doesn't to me when you look at these. Debray is not someone who I would say has a diruct connection to Morris, even if he was in that location at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I kept remembering when I was researching this and I saw Cameron's theory about Donald Debray, and I was thinking, oh, this kind of makes logical sense. Maybe he's onto something here. But then I heard about the Edward Wayne Edwards theory and how he's pretty much a laughingstock in the True Crime Commune because of it. Because you look at the Black Dollia and Teresa hallback, those crimes took place sixty years apart, so I do not believe an offender is going to be killing and committing these famous murders that far apart. So that has really affected his credibility.
Speaker 3: I think he overshot with that theory for sure. It's sort of like the Smiley Face killers. Those guys I believe overshot as well. And so you lose a lot of credibility when you try to lump too many things together and just make it fit. But even before hearing about Cameron's controversial connection to Edward Wayne Edwards and trying to group all of those murders together and him being responsible, I still just in my gut didn't feel like the victimology and the mo O lined up enough. Yes, there was three hundred dollars that connected it, but I just feel at my very core that these are two very different offenders. One that's really opportunistic and disorganized, one that's very cold, calculated and organized.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, I think that it's way too much of a stretch, way too much stretch in this case.
Speaker 1: However, in twenty thirteen, Morris's brother Cliff actually posted a couple of times on the Unsolved Mysteries message board at the sitcoms online forum which I'm always referring to. Cliff claimed that he also corresponded with Donald Dubray in prison, and that he provided very specific details about Morris's murder and the house where it took place. At one point, Debray apparently told Cliff that he was president at the house that night, but he was not the shooter, but in spite of this, Dubray never did take responsibility for the crime, and no evidence ever linked him to it. Some other investigators have expressed skepticism over the idea of Dubray being Morris's killer, but if what Cliff posted was true, he certainly seems like a compelling suspect. I definitely see the parallels between Morris's case and the murder of Susette Prichard. Dubray staffed Susette a total of twenty four times, which is major overkilled, to say the least, much like how Morris was shot nine times. It sounds like Susette's murder was something of a thrill kill for Dubray and robbery was the secondary motive, And you can also say the same thing about what happened to Morris. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is any DNA evidence available in Morris's case which could posthumously link Dubray to the crime. But personally, my gut does tell me that Dubray might be the killer, and if and if so, then it's sad that he went on to murder someone else. But he did finally get locked up and spent the last chunk of his life in prison, so justice was ultimately served. But if you happen to have any information on the murder of Morris Davis, please contact the Great Falls Police Department at four zero six seven two seven seven six eight eight. That's four h six seven two seven seven sixty eight eight Jules Ashley. Any final thoughts on this case.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know what poor Cliff had actually communicated with Debray about, but he is another victim in this crime as a whole. Cliff was the one who responds to the emergency cause a paramedic and finds out his brother had been killed in this home that's vacant, and he rides alongside his brother trying to help resuscitate him and losing him as they arrive at the hospital. And then you see for decades you have him being a lead person fighting for answers in this case. Somehow poor Cliff gets connected to Debray. I in my gut, so far, with what we've heard today, don't feel like there's a link between these two. But if he is communicating with Debray, and if Debray's the kind of person who brags about his crimes, who wants to be more notorious than what he is. That he wants to be this grandiose killer or criminal, and he needs attention. He has found in Cliff somebody who will correspond with him from prison, so it's a friend to him. It's someone that he's sunk his hooks into and he's able to say, I have a bite into this guy. He's going to communicate with me again. I'm going to give him a tiny lead, and I'm going to give him another piece of information and another piece of information. Debray to me, when you look at his crimes, unless he has multiple crimes, I haven't heard. He's not typically committing murders with other people. Very rarely do two people kill and both of them stay silent for decades. I just can't imagine Debray being this kind of character who's going to say, I'm actually going to help provide relief to Cliff. I'm going to give him peace of mind and help him. Because he doesn't do that. He doesn't ever give any kind of concrete evidence that gives Cliff justice. So to me, Cliff is another victim again at Debray's hands, by being someone that is communicated with over and over and over again and provided information and details that might seem valid and real, and instead he's really being played with by someone who's a sick criminal.
Speaker 3: I agree. I think that Cliff is such a victim in this story, and I cannot imagine what it would be like being a first responder going into a murder scene, which is incredibly grizzly. There has to be blood everyone where, and then you find out that it's your own brother, and then, like Ashley said, to basically be tortured by Debray. I personally, like I said earlier, in my gut, don't feel like he's responsible. I think there are some commonalities there, but it just feel like it's a different offender profile. The removal of that for sale sign, the dragging his body back in the taking of the wallet, it just feels so planned out and that the robbery was just a secondary part of it, whereas I feel like Debray's motives robbery might be the primary motive unless it's a woman, and then there could be a sexual component to it. So I just think that this is a different offender, and I really wish that Debray would have given an answer one way or another, just so that Cliff would know definitively if it was Debray and if he had anything to do with the murder of his brother. But clearly that just hasn't happened. And I really hope that if anybody has any information about who killed Morris Davis, they'll come forward now because the landscape has changed considerably. It's been so many years. It's been nearly forty years at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still have vivid memories of watching the Unsolved Mystery segment when originally aired, and I know during Cliff's interview, he talked about Morris being just a wonderful guy who was so full of life, and they say that all the time about victims on true crime shows. But then the segment actually shows this adorable photograph of Morris holding up this golden Labrador puppy to his face and like smiling with it. And I found out that Morris's nickname was Bear because he was described as being like a giant teddy bear. So he really did sound like an incredibly special guy who was beloved by his family members and all of his friends. So it was just a complete shock to everyone that he would be murdered in such a brutal fashion and was probably just a random victim who was in the wrong place at the wrong time because he happened to be assigned to deliver pizza to this abandoned house by someone who just probably wanted to commit a thrill kill. And of course we had so much time wasted on this lead, involving the Bosch ballistic tests and the gun belonging to Rick and Oregon, which I think hampered the investigation. And I do think that the Donald Dubray theory is compelling, but it could just be I have no idea what Cliff spoke to Debray about what information he might have shared. But like Ashley says, convicted killers, when they're no they're going to be in prison for the rest of their life. They like to toy with people because they have nothing left to lose. So it's possible he was doing that with Cliff and Detective Cameron, and maybe he had nothing to do at all with Morris's murder. And if he did, it's going to be hard to prove it after all this time, since he has since passed away. But I remember Cliff when he made those message board posts on sitcoms online. He was actually pretty flattered that people were still talking about this case all these years later, and that people still remembered Morris and wanted to see justice for what happened to him. And I'm hoping that can still happen someday if it wasn't Braith, and perhaps his killer is still alive and out there somewhere and could still be charged and convicted of this crime. But it'll be difficult because I don't know if there's much forensic evidence to work with. But maybe somebody heard an individual bragging about murdering a pizza delivery guy back in nineteen eighty five, and if that's what happened, that they can come forward with information and hopefully lead to a resolution in this case.