Speaker 1: The Force will be with you always.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome back to another episode of Star Wars Alliance. Of course I'm your host, Clay and with me like always is Katie. Katie. How are you doing this week?
Speaker 3: Hi, guys, I'm doing I'm doing okay. My house is on the market. So the hints why we are late today, uh so, but this should be the latest I think that we end up going. But yeah, things are chaotic.
Speaker 2: Totally understandable. You know, selling a house is not easy, so totally understandable. Now, guys, we literally just discussed right before we went live. There's not hardly any news out there. There is something that we are going to discuss, which is of course the Disney layoffs. And that's really oh my goodness, I can't talk today. That's really it. As far as news, I joked around apparently Han Solo over at Disney World, and of course Galaxy's Edge is getting a lot of backlash because his wig is not like Harrison Ford's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I saw a lot of people were like, well, if you were gonna go completely different than you should have just gone all the Einrich version instead. I don't know. I've never paid I've been to Disney once, Like, I've never paid that much attention to the way the characters are dressed.
Speaker 2: Well, like this is specifically supposed to be a character that is supposed to be interacting with guests and things like that. All. Yes, yes, but I think like, especially with the more human characters specifically, they're trying to get a little bit more to detail on that. Yeah, and I think it's silly. I think it's silly. I was waiting to see if anybody legitimately was going to make a solo joke like, oh, if it's not Harrison Ford, you know. But I'm so I'm glad, I'm did. I'm glad somebody did. I'm really glad. But the layoffs there is over I think some reports said over a thousand employees were laid off. Some of like entire departments were laid off, including the home entertainment. Now this is speculation on my part, which is really scary, but I want to know your opinion. Okay, if they laid off the entire home entertainment department, does that mean that they are getting ready to completely acts home entertainment releases?
Speaker 3: I mean they've already basically acts them, Like I haven't seen like the they tried. It was probably they tried the Disney Plus shows to see like, oh we were released on DVD, like let's see how people buy them, and they're probably not going to do that again.
Speaker 2: I would say, that's really sad. The reason why I say is because I do believe just here recently, I want to say, between twenty twenty four to now, there has been a bigger resurgence of hey, I want to get physical media, right. So, knowing that there is a resurgent for physical media and then Disney up and just completely destroys their internal home entertainment division, that's not cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think the main thing is, like people are very used to paying Dagney. Old days, we would pay thirty forty bucks maybe fifty bucks for twenty four episode season of television on DVD. Now you're telling me that they wanted to charge. I think Book a Boba Fett was like sixty bucks, and I think the Mandalorian seasons were close to seventy bucks for way less TV and like almost no special features.
Speaker 4: I was putting.
Speaker 3: I put them on a list basically and was like, okay, i'll see when prices drop. But I didn't even purchase them because I was like, there's nothing here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that again disheartening, you know, I thought, and this is a thought that has long since passed, because of course we have been in the era of streaming for quite some time. But like I as well as I know many others, always thought that, like, oh well, if you're going to release a movie on something like a Netflix or a Disney Plus or an HBO Max, there's an area in those platforms to put special features, to put behind the scenes, to put all these other things, and they do not do it most of the time. You see those as marketing material. Now, as we have seen with of course Mall Shadow Lord, we've seen a lot of the behind the scenes talks with the animators, with the voice actors and things like that as marketing material. I just always thought that was a fumble for every single streaming company, like, hey, you want more people to subscribe specifically to your platform, you need to be putting special features on every single product.
Speaker 3: And I think it's like in the vein of I feel like it's in the vein of like, oh well, news companies are just going to pick it up and tell what it tell us what was in the special features anyways, So might as well just provide the whole thing for free and get marketing out of it. Yeah, like I get it to an extent, but like the director's commentaries were something special. Yeah, it just sucks nowadays, Like that's like they're becoming more and more rare, and it just sucks because it's definitely a missed opportunity to really connect with people and connect with fans, because there are those people who are like I need to watch every single director's commentary by James Cameron, like because he's just that glorious of a filmmaker. Or Christopher Nolan would be my pick for instance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it sucks, It really really does. And so of course the home entertainment I've also I have not confirmed this, but I also heard that there is possible Marvel Comics staff that was also let go. So I am interested to see how much the affects everything else that we kind of deal with here at Star Wars Alliance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it says film studios, television, network, sports, park experiences, comic books, franchising, finances, and legal So it looks like it was across the board and the memo apparently said this is not related to AI. Yeah, Disney says or the rap excuse me indicated that the Marvel based cuts could have affected it as much as eight percent of their employees.
Speaker 2: H okay.
Speaker 3: There were not specific details on how these layoffs affect Lucasfilm. The article doesn't indicate that Marvel, whose comics division produces most of the major Star Wars comics nowadays, will be particularly affected, both in terms of publishing comics and their various multimedia adaptations. Yeah, exactly, and the visual developed team in particular for Marvel Studios, basically the whole thing got wiped ooh yeah. Basically a skeleton crew now exists in a full time capacity, and basically they will go around and rehire some of the employees that were laid off on a case by case basis as independent contractors. We love a company.
Speaker 2: This is not how you do shit, Disney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And unfortunately these people will be basically forced to go back because they don't.
Speaker 2: Have a job. Because they have a job, and Disney gets away with, hey, you're gonna get this much money and no health insurance? All right, yeah, cool, you work for me forever, But not really because I can, you know, legally say that you had nothing to do with us because you're just a contract yep. Oh capitalism, joy Joy.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was definitely a terrible thing to locker on and see this morning. It's just, yeah, it I don't have any good things to say, and I don't really have any motivating things to say to make myself feel better.
Speaker 4: It's just.
Speaker 2: I want to say, hopefully these people are able to get back up on their feet. We've seen I mean, you know, I just told you I I downloaded it just for the fact that I was like, Okay, in case Paramount wants to be a complete, you know, a hole and not show this, I'm gonna grab it. Now. I haven't watched it, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't grab it, so I took.
Speaker 2: The Avatar movie. And but what I'm where I'm connecting this is there's a lot of things happening at a lot of different companies, and on the spot of Paramount, I go, haha, because you're the jerks that decided not to put this out in theaters, and that's why I got leaked. Now, I respect everybody who made the movie because I mean, unfortunately, of course the head of right correct me if I'm wrong, because you're another aang another Avatar person like me. The two that were originally involved in creation of the Avatar are no longer working on or didn't have anything to do with this film.
Speaker 3: I believe they had things to do with this film. They did not have anything to do with the live action adaptation.
Speaker 2: Ah okay, okay, okay. So because of that.
Speaker 3: Sorry, guys, I had to leave my door open now with my new Deak position because otherwise the stream yard goes like freight take.
Speaker 2: So it's all good. It's all good. But out of respect of the people who worked on the film, I have not watched it yet, but like I said, I was like, hey, I'm gonna download it just in case, and I'm just gonna keep it because again I also do not have permot us, So as long as I wait until it officially releases, then I can watch it. But in the instance of what's going on at Disney, like this is again another shame on you for the company, but like it's even more so because they did this on purpose and then actively said, oh, don't worry, guys, we are going to still give you guys work. We are just not going to give you benefits. Yeah, and I feel like that's a lot worse. I hope these guys get back up on their feet and you know, there's you know, other places to go to. Like I feel like in this resurgence of of course the physical media, there's also a resurgence of you know, in work and doing a whole bunch of other stuff. And so if you can't work with the biggest company, hey, maybe this is an opportunity to do something yourself or doing something small that is a little bit more meaningful. And so I give that encouraging word to the people who may have been affected. So yeah, but I think that is it for all of the news.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're going to talk about box office productions closer to Mandolin Grogu coming out.
Speaker 2: Gosh, it's like like a month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's distant tracking right now. So I figure, dude, you're kicking you're killing me.
Speaker 4: Get off your dummies.
Speaker 3: I apologize, guys. My dogs are dumb. They are place.
Speaker 2: I will say this. I will say this because your dogs are smaller. That is not going to be nearly as like abrasive towards anybody who was listening via podcast compared to if it was my big dog. Yeah, he literally barks at literally anything that is outside, so which is also why he's not allowed in this room when I'm recording.
Speaker 3: I could have my desk back in the middle and I could shut my door. That would be great, but.
Speaker 4: Staging.
Speaker 3: I do want to sell my house, guys, I promise, really fed up with it already.
Speaker 2: But yes, we will talk about predictions later. We will. We will show these numbers when we talk about that to see how it's kind of changed, if anything has changed at all, I will say this hint. It's that looking great. Uh, it was technically lower than what we predicted, but we'll see how it goes. Again, we got a whole month, so we want to talk about mal Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk about Mare.
Speaker 2: All right, This, of course, is the week of episodes three and four titled Whispers in the Unknown and Pride and Vengeance. So Whispers in the Unknown again.
Speaker 3: Let me grab the baby monitor fast because Matt.
Speaker 2: Had done no, you're good, you're good. When we talked about episodes one and two, we talked about them together. I feel like this is the same instance. We can talk about both because again, these should be longer than thirty minutes. People, I feel like each one of them. That's the only downside. We're We're always saying like, hey, we can have more content, right, we can have more content rather than having eight episode seasons. But like if we were to combine every single episode, this would or like two episodes every single week, we would only have a four episode season, so like five episodes, five episodes. Yeah, you're right, you're right, you're right. But talking about these episodes, how did you feel about the Like, we we don't move the needle at all. Realistically in episodes three and four, there is there's no new information. The only new development that happens in these two episodes.
Speaker 3: Is lost.
Speaker 2: Yes, is lost in and at the very end of the episode four spoilers the Empire shows up. Yeap, that is really it.
Speaker 4: That's what.
Speaker 3: I relate to what Adrian is saying in like, so far, the only benefits that I'm seeing to this new show is the animation style. I'm always gonna love this animation style and the artistic developments here with like the brushstroke animation has been super superb. The music and the style of the show. I love that we're getting a thriller. I do think you need more detail with a thriller, and apparently they were not willing to expand the time slot with it. Antelli's if you growl again, you're gonna get smacked.
Speaker 2: So I'm just going to actually share Adrian's words. I did share the link with him, so he might be showing up. He might not. That is totally fine. I actually kind of just sprung it onto him. I didn't even get to see if he responded, but his post said this Maul has to be the most predictable character in the franchise at this point halfway through the Shadow Lord, and they just gave us more of the same, same motives, same rhetoric, same tactics. How many apprentices are we gonna watch him tempt to the dark side because he can't get his revenge on his own. But hey, here is another cool hallway scene cutting down non force users.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't get wrong. I like the fight scene. I like the hallway scenes. They look cool, But I agree.
Speaker 2: When it comes to substance. When it comes to the actual story, I don't like having to say, oh, hey, three and four, nothing really happened. I don't like saying that there.
Speaker 4: Should be something that ees.
Speaker 2: Yes, I feel like there needs to be something that holds this story together. Now you can say, oh, well, the new development in these episodes is Lawson is an absence absentee father. Okay, like that might be used in future episodes, but like we already know he's dedicated to his job. So again you're you're just reiterating something in a different way from episodes one and two. Now on episodes three and four. You know, so that is a problem there. You look at Mal himself. Mal is going after these drug lords, these slumlords, these syndicates, same thing over and over over again. And I said last week, Hey, if it's just him doing this, I think that's okay, But we need more story. Right now, there isn't much more story because we already know he's already going to attempt to persuade Devin to help him correct.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I again go back to when we were talking about like what we think could happen here, I go, I'm constantly going back to like one of the things I was like, oh, we could go season two with Kira, for instance, I'm still in the vein of I would have much rather seen Kira as the Apprentice and the show have taken place six or three bby versus eighteen bby because it's just we do feel like we're repeating the same things. And I do get that. I feel I feel like Filoni really wants to give Maul like a forced gift of prophecy in like some way shape or form, like a dark side forced prophecy gift because he's got like all these visions.
Speaker 4: I don't think he's hitting it no, like and.
Speaker 2: Again that that does actually make sense with you know, connecting the dots to like rebels and stuff. I can I can see going I can see him going that route. But this whole thing with Devon, you know I did. It was a nice It was a nice little cherry on top that she never gave him his name. But then at the very end of their confrontation, he's like, I'll need that back, Devon. And it makes you question did he go ahead and do his research, was it his vision or did he scare her enough to get the name from her thoughts? Yeah, during that endeavor, and it could be any of the above. That's the thing. Not knowing is fun. But it was just a little cherry on top that like that first confrontation was, oh, you know, you have the luxury of knowing my name, but I don't know yours. And he was playing coy and doing all these things. He was being sly. I think that's a part of this newer version of Maul that we haven't really gotten to see. We've seen him be a little bit manipulative with of course, uh oh i'm i'm, I'm I'm Ezra. Yeah, but this is a lot more calm when he was with Ezra. He's kind of like the crazy old man, you know, he's a little bit more He's he's more calm, more collected. He's methodical because he's thought this stuff through. We know that because there is a sequence of plans that are, you know, seemingly being activated throughout these four episodes. So I do like seeing this new version of mon I say new as in quotations, but there is no substance. The most intriguing thing out of the two episodes is quite possibly two Boots and his desire to want to fulfill his programming and say, hey, protocol says we call the empire. Hey, this is kind of batshit crazy. We should call the empire. Hey, you guys are doing the right thing. So I'll do the right thing too. I'll call the Empire, call the Empire like he does. He he mentions it like three or four times in this of these two episodes.
Speaker 4: And I was like, laws In what are you doing?
Speaker 3: When he turns him off at the comm station and he's like, y'all are y'all are going to be out of your depth? Like I've got to call the Empire right now that final time and he leaves him at the communication booth. Oh no, no, somebody said turn him.
Speaker 2: On exactly would I would have taken him with me and I would have put him in the trunk of the vehicle. Yeah, Like, I'm sorry. Now, it's interesting to learn because two Boots may have struck a nerve by the way Two Boots was talking about the Empire. He's like, okay, so is this something of like you were wanting to do on a personal level or is it because your wife works for the Empire? And I'm like, dude, like that was hysterical. Why hit so low to the belt, you know? But again Lawson doesn't even like, he doesn't baty. He just says, if the Empire comes over here, they'll take over yep, and that'll be the end of it. I like Lawson. I think Lawson is clearly in over his head, and I feel like there's something missing with Lawson. I do too, because I feel like this, like ooh, good cop who is in over his head is such a simplified, stereotypical storyline, and I'm like.
Speaker 4: A father, like we've been here, done this.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're hitting all the boxes for literally like almost every single cop show or cop movie yep. And it's like, Okay, what are we missing? There needs to be something here that helps me get attached to this character. Yes, he has a good heart in a galaxy that is very dark.
Speaker 3: I think we have but we have talked about how we are tired of the father story. Is this thing? We need something new? And especially when you're reusing I say reusing, you're reusing a character here mal who we know at the beginning, in the end, and most of the middle we have learned you can fill in store reason, make them great and still do good things. I have hope, but I don't have a lot of faith based on what we've seen so far. No.
Speaker 2: I agree, I I one hundred percent agree the the fact that we see loss in connecting the dots, but not really like. Here's another thing, is like Master Doci Docy literally has Jedi written all over his face and here comes Lost and in the in the midst of you know, the battle and everything else. Why didn't you tell me you guys were Jedi. It's just like, dude, really.
Speaker 3: Really really, I thought you were smart.
Speaker 2: Like it's frustrating, it really is, And I think that is what going to be. Like the downfall of me not loving Losson as a character is he is such a stereotypical cop for this show, for this universe. There's nothing new to the character type.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That has me going, hey, I want this character to win. Yes, I want him to win because mal is the antagonist, right, you all want that. Everybody wants that, but to actually like have because don't get me wrong, you look at every character in Star Wars. Star Wars is such a large phenomenon within our life that you could literally ask a thousand people and half of them would name somebody that you've probably never heard of in Star Wars as their favorite character. Lawson can be somebody's favorite character. But I can tell you right now, Lawson cannot be my favorite character because there's nothing new to him to be a favorite character for me. And that kind of hurts because he's supposed to be a major player in this new show, you know, and so that kind of hurts that, that kind of hurts his like well it let me rephrase it. It hurts the show, not necessarily the character and not necessarily the actor. It hurts the show.
Speaker 3: It does because you want, like we've already been green lit for season two here, so you know there's season two coming. They could choose to go off and do like we talked about, Oh we're gonna do three years from now, and it's not gonna be on Janics Lawson could completely disappear from the show in season two. But you still want to make it so you relate to the protagonist that's going on, like you're trying to convert us and show us the antagonist's point of view. But that doesn't really that's not gonna work for everybody, And if you want to continue the show, you do have to have a good protagonist at play.
Speaker 2: Mm hm no I I one h agree.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful show.
Speaker 3: It looks gorgeous. I still love all the voice actors. Vanessa Marshall is killing its road cast. Oh gosh, I can't remember her name, Devin's actress. Mm hmm, I love her. She's doing a great job. Like the lightsaber fight between her and Ma super good, super good. I loved it.
Speaker 4: Gideon Adlon.
Speaker 3: That is her name, obviously President all State amazing. So like the voice cast here, it's fantastic without a doubt.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I just need more substance. Yea, yeah, the music also great.
Speaker 2: I agree, and like I don't want people to have to say, like, oh, but there's also a comic book that you can get that substance in.
Speaker 4: It's like, uh huh, I'm.
Speaker 2: Okay with chasing a story. Like we are book nerds. We read all the time. We are eventually going to read the mall comic. But you are advertising this and you're not advertising the comic. Yep this is your main thing. This is what you want people to be drawn to, and there's nothing there that's that's my thing. So we have six episodes to go, six episodes, and is all the episodes are going to be out by the time Mando releases correct?
Speaker 3: Yes? Correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so six episodes left, which means there's gonna be three more weeks. I hope next week there's a bit more lead up, there's I hope there is again more substance, more story. I was just talking to a co worker today about like what his predictions are, you know. He he also brought up Crimson Dawn and like, oh, you know this will eventually lead up to that. We know that it can't be immediately after because of the timeline. There would need to be a time jump. He also puts the prediction out that because the Empire is now involved, that Mal is going to cut down all of the inquisitors and that we're gonna have a Vader versus Mall fight. I don't believe that will happen. Correct me if I'm wrong. There has never been a confrontation between Mal and Vader.
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think. Here's the thing. If there is a confrontation between Mal and Vader, Filoni has no faith in his own product. Correct I think that if Filone made the decision, hey, we are going to put Darth Vader into this season, and that is what cowers Mall into hiding and all of that stuff, I will flip a table, you.
Speaker 3: Have no faith, and like you said, the next episode is called Inquisition, so I imagine we're getting Brock next episode and potentially the Crow inquisitor dude. We know the Crow dude makes it out because Ahsoka kills him. Yes, Mack could very easily die in this series, and that's why he's uh able to be kept alive.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Uh I say kept alive. His ghost can like resurrect in Ahsoka because a uh Daphamarion killed him for instance. I don't know, kind of making stuff up. Yeah, but uh, chapter five is called Inquisition. Chapter six is called Knight of the Hunted. So definitely I'm thinking we're getting inquisitors next episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so as Fall, But I think that's it. This was a short episode. There's nothing again, no substance, no story, nothing to really kind of deep dive into. Unfortunately, but again it's like I think it is okay for things to be okay. We've said this before on the podcast. I think that this is right below Okay, so I need the episodes to pick up.
Speaker 4: I'm definitely right now.
Speaker 3: This is below Bubbleffett for me right now, like Bobaffett gave me a storyline, it gave me substance. Yeah, it did something new.
Speaker 2: That's true. Currently there's not really there. There's there's oh mall oh lightsabers, and that's basically it so far. So yep, man, that's rough. But we'll have to see how the next three weeks are. But of course you guys can always find me at fanboy Clay on threads and Instagram. That's where I'm mostly gonna be at. We have decided officially over at Ranger Alliance we are going to do every other week for our show. It helps both Jake and I with planning content, and we have come to learn that the new show that we are reviewing there's not a whole lot of Again the substance. Same thing with here is there's like, out of a thirty minute episode, half of it is really really good, full of story, and the other half is kind of like, there's nothing really there, And so we have to talk about two episodes to really get a full episode of content when it comes to part So we're going to have Ranger Alliance every two weeks. Now, you guys should be getting a new episode this week. I totally forgot to edit and so I will be dropping it sometime between now and Sunday, so be on the lookout for that, and then you won't see another episode for another two weeks on the regular scheduled Monday, of course. But Katie, what about you?
Speaker 4: Y'all?
Speaker 3: You can find me on most social media platforms. It's at place of Katie this show. You can find us on Blue Sky and Instagram, at Star Wars Alliance without the A and the worst for important.
Speaker 4: Don't forget it.
Speaker 3: We may not post, but Clay and I both check the account, so you can always shoot us a message.
Speaker 2: We need to get better of that. We do.
Speaker 3: We keep saying it, but we do.
Speaker 2: Life he's getting ahead of us, guys. We yeah, I promise you I would still be posting as much as Hey. I'm about to get a little cameo from my daughter here. You see her little head right here. But uh, if I wasn't working as much, I would be posting as much as I was. So it's it's just life is getting ahead of us. So we will eventually get it down and everything else. So we apologize, we do.
Speaker 3: But you can also put that username in front of adgenal dot com and shoot us an email. Uh, so with that I when we wish everyone a great day or night, whatever time of day you are listening or watching, we will see a'all next time. It forced to be with you.