Speaker 1: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers return home after a disappointing road trip. They will be back in action tomorrow night, open up and opening up a six game homestand first with the Chicago Cubs and then the Rockies come into town. So feels like things are going to get better in Dodgerland when they come home. And they're a much better team at Dodger Stadium than they are on the road because they have the offense and they get the last at bat to overcome whatever mistakes they may make or if their pitching gives up a little bit too many runs like.
Speaker 2: We saw the last road trip.
Speaker 1: They have the offense to be able to come back, and don't discount the fact that the last at bat means a lot, and we saw it a lot on the first homestand of the season.
Speaker 2: We've got a great show for.
Speaker 1: You tonight on Dodger Talk coming up at the bottom of the hour. Sunday night. We'll be back in town for the Dodgers and Cubs this weekend. And my favorite, the centerpiece of that broadcast is David Cohne and Buster Only. And Buster will join us coming up at the bottom of the hour. So look forward to talking to Buster Only when we keep this show going at the bottom of the hour. And today is one of my favorite Dodgers birthday and he turns forty three years old today. And that is a man that spent all twelve of his major league career with the Dodgers, and that is Andre Ethier. Happy birthday to Andre Ethier. He turns forty three years old today. I talked to him yesterday and basically all he said he wants for his birthday is to relax on the couch. Guy does a lot with his kids, so just wants a day of rest for the dad. I think that's a great birthday gift. But if you were listening when he playing, you would know that we had a pretty fun sparring session that he always used to win. So in honor of Andre Ethier's forty third birthday, coming up in our next segment, I will give you the top five andre Ethier insults to yours truly, and we still have the interview, so we will share that with you. And I know he was a big fan favorite two thousand and nine one of the most clutch seasons any player has had in recent memory. I think he had like six or nine walk off base hits and that's where he got his reputation for being mister Clutch. So happy birthday to Andre Ethier for me. The biggest Dodger news today is the fact that Freddie Freeman is coming back to the Dodgers starting lineup tomorrow after reaggravating that surgically repaired right ankle when he slipped in a shower a couple of Sundays ago. The Dodgers were without Freddie Freeman this entire road. They struck out of season high fifteen times two games ago. Keik A Hernandez is playing at a position the Dodgers have key k playing there because Muncie is their third baseman and will be their third baseman the majority of the season, So why even try to get him off that position when Freddy Freeman's going to return like he is tomorrow and couldn't be a better time considering Tomorrow night is Freddie Freeman Grand Slam Bobblehead Night, celebrating his walk off Grand Slam in Game one of the World Series. So it's perfect that Freddy's coming back, and don't discount the fact they missed his bat in the lineup. I know we get caught up and Otani and Mookie bets, but Freddy Freeman's a big part of that lineup. He makes contact, he doesn't strike out a lot. He's an RBI machine. He means a lot to the Dodgers hitting behind Mooki and Otani. And the fact that you can lengthen the lineup instead of having Tommy Edmund, who did a great job since the beginning of the season, not just this road trip, since the beginning of the season. It feels like the Dodgers are in a good spot to have Tommy Edmund move further down the order with Munsey and Edmund with Freddie Freeman hitting third and yesterday, it's kind of funny. Nobody had asked Dave Roberts about Freddie Freeman the entire road trip, so I did so.
Speaker 3: Yes, the expectation is for him to be in the line up on Friday. He's had live VP the last couple of days, and from what I understand I saw yesterdays, he's come out of it well. Watched him run the gate looks really good and so if nothing changes, he'll be in the line up on Friday.
Speaker 4: What's the needle you have to thread as a manager, as an organization with the guy that obviously is going to tell you he's fine, But we know that right ankle is still a little.
Speaker 3: Tender the needle. The needle is a little bit wider in the sense that we've built a relationship now and I would say that if you would, if we were to rewind three years ago, he would still be active right now, Whereas I think now he understands the short term games the long term, and he'll be the first to tell you that his time on the IL was beneficial and as it was last year, and so I think that that's sort of helped our relationship.
Speaker 1: All Right, there's manager Dave Roberts, and at times you have to protect players from themselves. We've heard the Dodgers do that a few different times with Kershaw. Well, now you got to do it with Freddie Freeman. And I know Dave Roberts a pleaser. He's a really good players manager and has really grown into it with these new group of Dodgers the last couple of years, especially the superstars like Freddie Freeman. They have a really good relationship. But at times if Freddy's ankle is not really one hundred percent, and here's news, it won't be all year long. But if it's not up to par, I should say Dave Roberts has got to tell Freddie Freeman, I'm sorry you're sitting down this Sunday. You're sitting down this game. We need you when it matters most. And look, the Dodgers did not lose this road trip because keyk a Hernandez was playing first base. They lost this road trip because they got poor starting pitching. Outside of a start from Yamamoto and a start from Dustin May who overcame some bad defense behind him. They lost this road trip because of bad defense, poor starting pitching, and the offense really wasn't doing much of anything after Tom Yedman and Taoscar Hernandez. So those were the reasons why they lost. And I feel like you do have to appreciate to a certain extent the fact that they are riding an emotional wave from Tokyo to the ring ceremony, But really that's part of it. Most of it was bad starting pitching, and you know it's gonna be hard to get the image of Tyler Glass now out of our minds, that we're there in Philly with him kind of melting down with the rain coming down, light rain in the third inning in Philadelphia. And when people ask me about it, and after that game we got calls about it, all I can tell you is Tyler Glass noew more than likely could not play for Mick Cronan, that wacky Irish coach at UCLA. Trust me, Glass now could not play for Mick Cronan. I'll leave it at that, and Glass now will have a chance to rebound after a poor start Sunday night. Speaking of Sunday Night baseball on a national stage against the Cubs, eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number? Now, I know you guys were all riding the emotional wave of the Dodgers starting eight to zero. Petrosen Money had Brent Boone on the show to talk about one hundred and sixty wins. Are the Dodgers going to break their record? Well, here's the reality. The National League is much better than the American League. The division's much better. And it's only thirteen games in and the Dodgers have one of the best records in baseball, but they're clumped up with the Giants and padres I asked Andrew Friedman about how he kind of evaluates not only what's happening in the here and now but big picture to be able to try to help the Dodgers at the trade deadline or sometime before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think you know we're where we will really take stock is basically a third of the season, get through May and get a real.
Speaker 6: Feel for things.
Speaker 5: That being said, we feel it intensely every day, and so it's how not to overreact to things that are.
Speaker 2: Happening in a moment in time and try to.
Speaker 5: Get a bigger, broader perspective before making you know, bigger changes.
Speaker 1: All right, there's Andrew Friedman. So for those that want to pull the plug on Mookie Bets at shortstop or the overreaction over one poor strikeout game by Max Munsey, I think you all need to let the season breathe a little bit. And look, it's unprecedented what Mooki Bets is doing by shifting from right field to shortstop at thirty one years old. He put in a lot of work this offseason. The Dodgers are not going to say after thirteen games, you know what, Mooki, this isn't working. And quite honestly, there have been times where it hasn't looked fluid. But for the most part, Mookie Betts has not cost the Dodgers any games at shortstop. In fact, yesterday I thought he made one of the best plays, if not his best play at short stop when he backhanded a hard hit ground ball on the grass and threw the batter out. Yesterday I forgot who it was, but it was a tough play for any shortstop, and Mooki made it. So give it some time. Let's talk in May or June about Muncie and Mookie and the left side of the Dodgers infield. Eight six six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. We have three lines open when we continue your phone calls, plus the top five insults thrown my way by the birthday boy, Andre Ethier and Buster only will join us at the bottom of the hour. David Vass on an off day with you until eight o'clock right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Oh yeah, it's an off day. Dodger Talk. David vass with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers back in action tomorrow night at Dodgers Stadium on Freddie Freeman Grand Slam Bobblead Night. Freddie will be back in the starting lineup at first base, so it should be a fun night. Dodgers Cubs, all those lovable loser fans will be out there at Dodgers Stadium. A lot of transplants from Chicago. I remember, way back when they were talking about a Cubs dynasty five years ago. I started seeing all these people around LA and the Promenade and Woodland Hills wearing brand new Cubs hats. You don't see too many Cubs hats down in the South Bay anymore, do you. It feels like they just put that in the closet. But they might be back out tomorrow night at Dodgers Stadium. I'm sure there's plenty of seats available as the Cubs come to town for their only visit of the season. And don't look now, the Cubs are in first place in the very week and now central for the Dodgers, they come back losing two series on the road in Philadelphia and Washington, DC, a very cold East Coast road trip. The game of that three game series against the Nationals, temperatures with the wind chill were thirty six degrees and one of the salty beat writers for the Nationals said during that game, this is the only way the Nationals have a chance to.
Speaker 2: Beat this team with the cold.
Speaker 1: Well, it worked out and the Dodgers salvage the final game of the series yesterday, and look being in that clubhouse after the game, the Dodgers were not celebrating and not in a celebratory mood after losing two out of three and really an ugly game to win. It wasn't even that pretty to watch, but they came away with the win and they avoid a sweep. Last time the Nationals swept the Dodgers, Andre Ethier was on the team in two thousand and eight. And speaking of Andre Ethier, today is his forty third birthday. Can you imagine that Andre Ethier is forty three years old and the last time he played a game was Game seven of the twenty seventeen World Series. He was the only Dodger to drive in a run that night, and that came off the bench as a pinch hitter. So Andre Ethier spent his entire twelve year Major League career with the Dodgers, and the last I would say six he enjoyed not only playing for the Dodgers, but using me as a punching bag. So, in honor of Andre Ethier's birthday, I am going to share with you the top five Ehier insults thrown at me during our many conversations while he was playing with the Dodgers. So here we go, Number five, andre Ethier's fifth best insult to yours. Truly, I know no one listens to your show, so.
Speaker 2: How dare you just giddy?
Speaker 1: Everybody listens to the show, Ethier. That's why it was number five, in case you weren't listening or you were too young. Back in the heyday of Andre Ethier twenty twelve twenty thirteen, I had no idea how to dress when I first started traveling with the Dodgers, so I thought business casual were khaki pants. Now this was before I discovered page jeans. So I would wear these beij khaki pants with a light polo shirt, and I thought it was a good look, even on days where I forgot a belt and ron say would point that out, so early on, I was struggling with a style even more than I am.
Speaker 2: Now, thank you.
Speaker 7: I'm glad to see you're not wearing khakis for my big day. You know, we got to see him dress slacks.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that was the day andre Ethier signed his big extension in twenty twelve. That was the first major move that this ownership did, signing andre Ethier. So that was number four. Him taking a cheap shot at my pants that day. Here is number three, another one of many moments where andre Ethier.
Speaker 2: Shamed me publicly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you were impressed with my clothing wardrobe every day that I came to the park.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you either look like like a caddy at a municipal golf course or a or a valet at some of the hotels we stay. You know, I often got confused walking into the club. I was not knowing whether to throw you my keys or or ask for my you know, my ball to be washed, you know, because I didn't know if you were the caddy or the valet.
Speaker 2: I'll get confused.
Speaker 7: So it was fun all your you know, going back and forth and knowing that you got a little Twitter blow because of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of people came to the Real Underscore DV because of Andre.
Speaker 2: Eah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I appreciate that. And I parked your pinto out back if you don't mind.
Speaker 7: All right, thank you. I stay treated to my roots, Pitt. That's where I came from, That's where all stay.
Speaker 1: Hey, there was and that was a reference to Andre Ethier calling me Dave Valet during interviews and even when he would go on other shows with Petro some money, Dave Valet. And even to this day, when I'm walking around Dodgers Stadium, some fans will come up to me and say, hey, Dave Vallet. And by the way, I have a streak and it is continuing to this day. Somebody always brings up me breaking my wrist and ribs on the slide. So I still have that streak going ever since then. But this was pre breaking my ribs and wrist on the slide. Here is Andre Ethier, the number two insult he ever threw my way his last six years playing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you either look like like a caddy at a municipal golf course or a or a valet at some of the hotels.
Speaker 2: We we played this one.
Speaker 7: You know, I often got confused walking into the club. I was not knowing whether to throw you my keys or ask for my you know, my ball to be washed. Okay, you know, because I didn't know if you were the caddy or the valet. I'll get confused. So it was fun all your you're going back and forth and knowing that you got a little Twitter blow because of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, there it is and here it is the number one insult. And this was right after the holiday of Thanksgiving. Can we get a drum roll please? Andre he heer, Ronnie Foss, whoever you are here, It is Andre Ethier taking a shot at me after maybe I was a little more bloated in November of an off season than I you.
Speaker 7: It's one I can definitely see Thanksgiving was good to you, and stuffing doesn't mean you stuffed.
Speaker 2: Yourself, buddy. Can we play that one more time, Ronnie one.
Speaker 7: I can definitely see Thanksgiving was good to you, and stuffing doesn't mean you stuffed.
Speaker 2: Yourself, buddy.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go, you stuff yourself, buddy. Uh yeah, maybe I enjoyed the off season a little bit too much, and even I may have enjoyed my off season a little bit too much. This off season. But like my good buddy Shaquille O'Neil used to say, I get in shape on company time. So I feel like I'm in better shape now than I was in December. So there it is the top five. Andre Ethier insults on his forty third birthday. Which one did you like the most that I brought back? Val Let's go out to the phones, Matt in Phoenix. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Matt? Are you neighbors with andre Ethier? Is that why you're calling in?
Speaker 8: You know what I called in before your stories? But long story short, I used to be a police officer in Phoenix and I would patrol in Andre Ethier's area where he grew up. And his little elementary school has a cute little shrine to him. So that's a fun little fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he went to a Catholic school out there in Chandler, Arizona, right, Matt.
Speaker 8: No, he went to elementary school in Phoenix and he went to I think it was Saint Mary's in Phoenix downtown, right in St.
Speaker 6: Mary's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Uh So what do you think about the way he treated me over the last six years of his career. Would you arrest him for those type of insults?
Speaker 6: Oh, I'd have to ask.
Speaker 8: I'd have to take him out.
Speaker 6: For tacos.
Speaker 2: Ritos. Little Rito's funny.
Speaker 8: I think that the what's that.
Speaker 1: Little Ritos Mexican food in Phoenix for Ethier?
Speaker 8: Yeah, why not? I liked the Dave Dave Valet thing. I'd like to play on words there. That's pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I appreciate it. What do you got on the Dodgers?
Speaker 8: So, first of all, it's great to talk to again. It's been a while, but it's great to talk to you always, and thank you for the wonderful coverage you give. One of the things I always tell people when there's rumors is if Vassay didn't say it, it didn't happen. You're almost becoming like a WOJH bomb status or passing to me.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you, I appreciate that. I mean, I see these guys more than my own family.
Speaker 2: What are you? What do you?
Speaker 1: What did I say this time that that you're believing.
Speaker 8: Nothing? It's just whenever there's rumors or a guy's going on the IL or who are the Dodgers going to sign or trade for? You're the number one source because you have such great relationships and insights with the Dodgers. So I appreciate it. But the reason that I wanted to call, yeah, you're welcome. Well, the topic is still fresh. Tyler Glass. Now, I was a bit concerned with his lack of fortitude during the game in Philadelphia.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I know it was nasty out there, but you know what, the rain didn't stop when the Phillies pitched, and when any other Dodger reliever pitched. And more concerning to me than his injuries is it seems like he just had a real lack of toughness in the face of adversity in April. How is he going to handle cold wind, sleet, snow and angry New Yorkers screaming at him in October? Are you concerned too? Is this something that he needs to work on? Or am I just overseeing things here?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: It was a theme back in spring training where Dave Roberts was stressing to him that you've got to be more athletic. Don't get in your own head about mechanics when things are not perfect. You still got to pitch and pitched through it. And I don't believe Dave Roberts was just talking about his pitching mechanics and you know, hopefully, you know, Sunday's going to be ideal weather, right, Matt, But let's see how it goes. If things things don't go his way, things are not perfect. I think he's got to learn from that and grow from that. But look, it's not like he's twenty five years old. He's been in the league a long time. I just think we have to judge him moving forward. And hopefully that was just, you know, something that we don't remember when we're deep into the season. But yeah, that was to me, that was concerning everybody saw it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I agree. I mean, look, I know that he has been treated with kid gloves in Pittsburgh and in Tampa, and he really hasn't had to pitch in too much, too many meaningful games. I know that Tampa went to the World Series against the Dodgers, but I think for the first time he's kind of being forced to deal with some things. And it didn't look like Dave was too happy when he took him out the.
Speaker 6: Other day either.
Speaker 8: So thanks, how much you appreciate it?
Speaker 1: All right, Matt, thank you for the phone call. Appreciate you eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Like I said, I'm not going to, uh, you know, keep beating a dead horse here. All I'll say is Tyler Glass now would not be able to play for Mick Cronin. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number when we continue more of your phone calls eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Do you have as many insults for me as Andre Ethier had over the years? Buster, Only he gets mad when I insult Vermont. I'll keep that streak alive as well. Buster joins us next right here on Dodger Talk AM five seventy LA Sports Day with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers are back in action tomorrow night, opening up a three game series against the Chicago Cubs. First time the Dodgers will see the Cubs since Tokyo, and on Sunday night. It will be a nationally televised broadcast. That means the Sunday Night Baseball crew will be in town, including my favorite Buster, Only my my favorite guy from Vermont. It's not Ben or Jerry, it's Buster only. Buster, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 9: See it's not a good start because they know you're not sincere about liking anything from Vermont.
Speaker 1: Man Ben and Jerry was great in the nineties of Buster, but I feel like I've moved on.
Speaker 9: It's great now. I don't appreciate the shots. And you'll never get that the best maple syrup in the world, which is from.
Speaker 2: Vermont, no doubt.
Speaker 1: You got that going for you, and they got Buster going for them as well. When we last spoke, when you came to Dodgers Stadium for the home opener, it felt like the Dodgers were in a very different weight class than everybody else. What do you think now after thirteen games.
Speaker 9: That they still eventually will be I mean we haven't they haven't played a game this year. When you get a fully healthy Bookie and a fully healthy Freddy Freeman, and I do think there's going to be a time of that because we know that the way the Dodgers handle injuries is through the prism of getting players ready for October, and so you know we'll see that happen. But I think the you know, maybe what you're referring to is the evolution of other teams in the division. The nationallygue West might be more competitive, not because the Dodgers aren't a great team, but because the Giants are clearly better than they have been in the first year of Buster Posey running baseball operations. The Diamondbacks are the great offense. Even though the Padres were eliminating that division series last year, when I was around them, it's pretty clear that group of players walked away from that believing, you know what, we can beat these guys, and they've got a lot of great players.
Speaker 1: When you look at that division, I feel like the Padres are the most forgotten team in baseball. Many of us believed they could have won the World Series if not for the Dodgers winning the NLDS. What's the sense you get from those group of players in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I think that d you share your sentiment on that. I mean, in the in the post uh you know, post post the World Series interviews they did last year, so many of them were referencing the fact that they felt like the Padres were the toughest team. Uh, you know they are, so start Layton, you know you've got Manny Machado. Uh, you've got Fernando Tetan, who moved up another level this year with more plate discipline than he's had in the past.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 9: You've got Jackson Merrill, who's one of the best young players at a five ninety six slegon percentage after the All Star break last year. You know, the the reason why the Padres are forgotten, I think is because their offseason was so quiet. You know, they've got this ownership going on, uh, you know, fight over who's in control, Uh, where the payroll is going to be going forward, and so A. J. Peler, the general manager, didn't do a lot like we're accustomed to, but at the end of the winner, he did make some moves. He signed Nick Pivetta for the rotation, which they desperately need. They signed Hosea Glacia's depth in the infield. It still feels like that that's going to be the biggest challenge for the Padres is how much depth will they have. It's generally speaking a pretty top heavy lineup and they need their stars to stay on the field and stay healthy. So like right now, you know, this hamshring injury for Jackson Merrill, it's a big blow to them because they're not a lot behind that front, that great front line they have.
Speaker 1: Buster only is joining us. He's on the ESPN Sunday Night Baseball crew. They'll be in town on Sunday for Rodgers and Cubs. And we just got back. The Dodgers just got back from an East Coast road trip that reminded them they are human. And I guess since it's only thirteen Gamesbuster, I got to ask you this in that context, do you believe the Phillies might be the best and maybe the toughest competition for them, considering how well they've matched up the last two years if they see each other, Because now I think it's nine out of eleven times Philadelphia has beaten the.
Speaker 9: Dodgers one hundred percent, And look, they're a really experienced team. We talked about the Padres belief that they'll be able to beat them. You know, Bryce Harper in his heart believes that, yeah, they can beat the Dodgers. You know that Kyle Schwarber thinks that they've got a guy who might be the best pitcher on the planet. And Zach Wheeler. You know, Christopher Sanchez, developing young left hander who is absolutely dominant. We saw him, you know that, at bat against Shohey, and he's great stuff. They can do that now. I think, you know, we thought that last year. People forget that. Most of last year we thought that the Phillies were the best team in baseball, and they just faded down the stretch. It's interesting because I was talking with an executive with another team during the last week and he mentioned the similarities between the Phillies and the Dodgers. You have this great lineup, but both of those teams are older teams that are probably to be susceptible to injuries, and they're probably not going to be as good defensively just because of the Ah factor. But in terms of confidence to beat the Dodgers, yeah, it'll be there.
Speaker 2: Buster.
Speaker 1: You just mentioned defense, and I know on yesterday's podcast you talked about it with Tim Kirkchin. Just how the Dodger defense may not be right now as good as it was last year. How unprecedented is it for the best right fielder in the game to try to move at age thirty one to the most demanding position outside a catcher. And what's the reviews you're hearing early on about this year's Mookie Betts.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it's never really been done never, and you respect the fact that he's working at it. You know that he'll get better. The bottom line is he's not going to become an elite defensive shortstop at age thirty one. You know, I think a few of the Dodgers, with the team that they have, you're hoping that they make plays and you don't make mistakes. But when you look at the you know, the various guys around the field, you know, Tommy Edmond is considered to be an excellent defender. I thank Freddie Freeman on his you know, on when he's healthy. He's a really good first baseman. But just talking with folks with other teams, they don't see, you know, high end defense there. Here's the thing, you know, and I know, I mean, the Dodgers' front office is filled with really smart people. They know all this, and as one executive said to me this week, they built this pitching staff that strikes out a lot of people. And so the the in the equation, the feeling is probably within the Dodgers' front office they that they can out hit some of their defensive mistakes and that their pitchers can strike out a lot of guys and lead runners on base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopefully that happens for them. They're walking more than they're striking out these days, and their starters aren't going. In fact, Buster early on, their relief pitchers have thrown more innings than their starters. This famed starting rotation has less innings pitched than their bullpen, which has been stellar to start again.
Speaker 9: And that's in keeping with a trend in recent years where it does feel like at the end of every year and you look at you know, who throws the most innings within the Dodgers' rotation, they're always less than just about anybody else. You know, if their staff leader's been one like one hundred and thirty innings, one hundred and forty innings, they they're not getting a Zach Wheeler with a two hundred inning plow horse. I think they, you know, felt that, you know, a guy like Blake Snell would get my hundred day innings. So far that hasn't happened. We'll see if they're healthier as we go along this season.
Speaker 1: Buster one is our guest. He is part of the Sunday Night Baseball crew, which will be back at Dodger Stadium on Sunday and Buster. Part of the reason why I'd love to have you on the show tonight was because so much of the talk has been about breaking the Mariners record from people outside of the Dodger Clubhouse, with the exception Miguel Rojas, but the Stars, Otani, Freeman, Bats and even Dave Roberts have only talked about trying to win back to back championships for the first time since the Yankees that you covered twenty five years ago. What do you remember about that two thousand season when they were going through it. How how can you compare it to what we may expect from this Dodger team during the regular season, as that is their main goal.
Speaker 9: So the Dodgers, when healthy or the best team that I've ever seen. When you're talking about the you know, if you have Blake Snell and let's say Glasnow's healthy, Yamamoto, let's say Otani later in the year, Clayton Kershaw, you know, Dustin May, backed up by the best bullpen that Dave Roberts has ever put together, backed up by that incredible.
Speaker 7: Lineup they have.
Speaker 9: It's the best team that I've seen. It's better than the team that I covered with the ninety eight Yankees, which is saying something. You know, that team one hundred and fourteen games in the regular season, they won one hundred and twenty five after they blew through the World Series, including a sweep of the Podres. What distinguished that team that year was this incredible drive. I mean, you know, and I know you know, fans go and I think they expect players to, you know.
Speaker 8: Go to the ballpark every day with the with at absolute peak enthusiasm. But that's not how any of us do our jobs.
Speaker 9: That's not human to do that. And what just absolutely stood out to me that year in ninety eight was the Yankees had been beaten in the playoffs the year before by the Guard or the then Cleveland Indians, and they were so motivated through the ninety eight season. They were just on a mission, and they played with such such high energy even against really bad teams. Now in September, they played a couple of bad games against Tampa Bay Rays. You know, Joe Tory, it was managed seeing them call the meeting and chewed them out and they got back on track. That's the challenge to win that many regular season games, you know, all these guys. Once you get to postseason, you can get ramped up for a playoff game, a World Series game, and that's not going to be an issue. But to push yourself through one hundred and eighty days, one hundred and eighty one days in regular season, that is a challenge. And that's why, you know, generally speaking, I think it's really tough for any team to win that many games in a regular season.
Speaker 1: What about winning a back to back championship. Charlie Steiner, who's now part of the Dodger radio broadcast, was with those guys and he said they treated the regular season as a warm up to the postseason, what they really cared about.
Speaker 9: That's exactly right. In fact, when you know that Yankee team won the World Series in ninety eight and ninety nine and two thousand and I think it actually the regular season got harder and harder and harder for a veteran group, and they did increasingly point toward the postseason to the degree that they actually crawled into the playoffs in a couple of those years. And then they got into October and all of a sudden, the bright lights hit and they were back to full intensity. You know, that's the challenge the Dodgers have. Which is one thing that I heard constantly from players, especially retrospectively looking back at those teams, is they felt like it was really important to bring in new guys from year to year, a new energy, players who were driven to win. So a Kirby eight, for example, being really important, Blake Snell being really important, you know, as you go through the long regular season, to be driven. Those Yankee teams. In the year two thousand, which was the last of the three consecutive championships, I think they added seven guys during the July August waiver period because Brian Cashman knew they needed some new blood.
Speaker 1: Well, if you want some perspective on that Yankee dynasty and the team the Dodgers are chasing in some ways the last team to win back to back championships, Buster published one of the best books on that Yankee dynasty, The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty Brings it All Together, and it's still out there on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. It's one of my favorite books. So Buster, love having you on. I think you're the best at what you do, and you always have great perspectives. So thank you for taking the time out and can't wait to see you on Sunday.
Speaker 6: That'll be fun day.
Speaker 9: But I always love talking with you, except when he talks max about Vermont.
Speaker 1: I'll withhold on Sunday when I see you. From here on now for the rest of lent, I will not say anything negative about Vermont.
Speaker 9: Okay, I'll take it. I will take it all right.
Speaker 1: There he goes Buster Only from ESPN. He does a great job on Sunday Night Baseball, and I love listening to his Baseball Tonight podcast because it gets me caught up on everything else that is going on around Major League Baseball. You know, sometimes we get so caught up and just the Dodgers and who the Dodgers are playing. But you got to have some perspective, and you know, I think he does a really good job of doing that on his podcast. So thank you to Buster Only. In case you missed any of that conversation, you could find it on the iHeartRadio app later tonight or tomorrow morning eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. The Dodgers back in action tomorrow night against the Chicago Cubs, and my pick for the National League, Cy Young Award. Yoshi Yamamoto will be making his third start of the season. It will be the second time the Cubs have seen Yamamoto this year, because, as you know, Yamamoto started the first game out there in Tokyo. Let's go out to the phones. Let's go out to our guy Manuel and Guardina. Where you've been, Manny, thanks a lot for calling in.
Speaker 10: Tee to the b the real dv oh Man. I just been lounging bro right here in guard.
Speaker 11: Off of Vermont and Guardina, the east side, like we would like to call it, just watching Dodger baseball, man and join it, hoping that they can get that crisp baseball going again because they've been playing like soggy cheerios of late.
Speaker 10: But I'm glad man. You know, Freddie Freeman will be back and we're gonna have a good, you know, rapport once the whole team is there. Right now, we're kind of got a lot of moving parts right so, you know, making the best of it. I got full respect.
Speaker 12: For Doc Roberts and Andrew Friedman. We always know that they're gonna make put the best product on the field. So it's just a thing man of hanging in there for the marathon, right.
Speaker 1: DV, no doubt about it, And you bring up a great point. The Dodgers really haven't had their full squad for the first thirteen games of the season. Outside of three games, the Dodgers have not had so Tanny, Betts and Freeman in the same starting lineup. So that's something else to consider when you're kind of rushing the judgment.
Speaker 2: On this team.
Speaker 1: The first what the first three two games in Tokyo, no Mookie Bets, and then the Dodgers have been without Freddie Freeman here the last ten days. So that's another part of this equation that I'm not sure people appreciate. The Dodgers have not had their big three in the starting lineup at the same time outside of three games, three or four games. So once Freddy Freeman comes back. And I thought it was encouraging what Dave Roberts had to say yesterday that he believes that Freddie's ankle may be in a better spot now than it was on opening day. Freddie, may you know, Freddy wants to be out there, Freddie wants to play, and like I said earlier in the show, you gotta sometimes protect Freddy from himself And speaking of Freddie Freeman, the Dodgers put out our press release earlier today promoting the upcoming homestand and as you know, tomorrow night is Freddie Freeman Bobblehead Night. The Grand Slam Bobblehead from the World Series is going to be given out tomorrow night. And Charlie Freeman, Freddie's oldest son, is going to throw out the first pitch to his dad tomorrow before the game.
Speaker 2: So that should be a special night, special night.
Speaker 1: To remember just a few times, the great Grand Slam that Freddie hit to walk the Dodgers off in Game one of the World Series. And it won't be the last time that we see that Grand Slam or that the Dodgers are able to celebrate it, because it's something that will live on forever. But yeah, tomorrow night, Freddie Freeman, his oldest son, Charlie, will be throwing out the first pitch tomorrow night before the walk off Grand Slam Bobblehead Night before first pitch.
Speaker 2: So there we go.
Speaker 1: Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. And I feel like Yama Moto is making me look good so far to start this year. I mean, I can't think of another National League pitcher that has outpitched Yamamoto so far, and he has come out more aggressive, more comfortable, And from what I've been told from people around the team is that Yama Moto just has such great fastball command even in his bullpen sessions, and he's come up with a little cutter now to just add another trick to his bag of pitches, to be able to go to different pitches outside of his split fingered fastball. And on Saturday, Sazaki's going to try to build off what was his best Major league start so far when he went four plus innings in Philadelphia. And I know we hear about Sazaki's split fingered fastball, but a lot of people describe it more as a knuckleball. When you see that knuckleball, from what I've been told from those that have caught it, it has or that split fingered fastball, it looks like a knuckleball because you do see the seams. You see more of the white than you do with the seams when it's tumbling down. It's not a hard, split fingered fastball. It's kind of a tumbler at the last minute, so it's kind of hard to track and I'm sure when you have ninety six to ninety eight to sometimes one hundred miles an hour and then you're throwing a pitch like that, it's going to be tough to hit. So once he gets fastball command consistently, that split fingered fastball or fork ball, whatever you want to call it, is going to be a way bigger weapon for him. But it has to be a fastball command first and foremost. And if you're coming out to the game on Saturday, I'm a firm believer you're going to see a better version of Sazaki than you saw a couple of saturdays ago at Dodger Stadium for his first appearance there in La.
Speaker 2: Let's go out to Monrovia. Pedro. You're on Dodger Talk with David Veasse.
Speaker 6: Hi, Pedro, what's up, David? How you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm doing good? Uh, feeling good. Happy to be back in LA with the warm weather.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I bet it was cold out there.
Speaker 1: It was mui frio out there, Pedro, very cold out there.
Speaker 11: Mucho fri, David, mucho mucho frio.
Speaker 2: Yes, all of the above, yes.
Speaker 6: Sir, but no man, I'm excited about you Moto this season. The whole team as a whole. But yeah, I agree with you one hundred percent on you Moto.
Speaker 1: And you've seen a different You could even see from wherever you're sitting or listening or watching, you could see a bigger swag in him. And you have to credit kek Hernandez for kind of getting in his ear during the playoffs last year to help him kind of turn the corner.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I know, he definitely. He looks so confident and it's exciting to see because he's nasty. But also I was in my living room with my seven year old daughter and my wife when Freddy Weierman hit the grandson my wife when Freddy Freeman hit that grants to them, and we went crazy. It was a memory that my daughter will have forever and we will too.
Speaker 6: It's awesome, man, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: I never get tired of hearing about where people were when Freddie hit that walk off grand slam. Are you old enough to remember Kirk Gibson's walk off home run?
Speaker 6: I was three years old in Mexico, so I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I guess not. I guess not.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, you see that's the difference, right, I'm old enough to remember Kirk Gibson's home run. I was eleven years old when he hit his home run. So this Freddy's walk off Grand Slam is your generation's Kirk Gibson. And it's great that there's a new highlight instead of showing that one, which still gives me chills. But this one, this one is going to be right up there.
Speaker 6: Yep, or above it a little bit because we saw it.
Speaker 8: I mean for me, I saw.
Speaker 13: It, you know, and I understand that memory with my daughter, so it's it's amazing. But I remember, you know, I came here when I was seven, and I remember going to Dodgers Stadium when I was eight nine, taking three buses to get there, and then walking up that hill and watching a crappy team when I was young, and then all all this that we're getting now is awesome. It's worth it because we weren't very good back then.
Speaker 1: Hey, you don't even have to go that far back. Just think about where the Dodgers were in twenty eleven, right, they were the laughing Ston of baseball.
Speaker 6: I want to forget those years. Those the court years were horrible, but.
Speaker 2: It wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 1: And I feel like everybody's got to remember, it wasn't that long ago where things were not that great for the Dodgers, and you have to appreciate what what they got going on, not just last year, but what they've done the last thirteen years.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, it's been amazing. So it's fun. And I can't make the game tomorrow because my brothers getting married.
Speaker 6: So I'm mad at him.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's bad scheduling by your brother, Pedro.
Speaker 6: I that's what I told him. I was like, I wanted that bibblehead, and I can't go because of you.
Speaker 13: And he's like, oh, sorry, I didn't check the Dodgers schedule, and I was like, come on.
Speaker 1: Dude, he must be getting a discounted rate on a Friday night wedding, right, Pedro.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what it is. I knew it.
Speaker 1: I know I have some friends that did that. All right, thanks a lot for the phone call. Enjoy the wedding. You could listen or bring your phone to watch the game. Thanks Pedro. That'll do it for us. On Dodger Talk. I don't know, Freddie Freeman Grand Slam bobblehead giveaway your brother's wedding if you're not the best man, maybe I would skip the wedding. If in case you missed any of the show, you can listen to it on the iHeartRadio app. We'll be back with you tomorrow night at six o'clock from dot Stadium. That's when Dodgers on Deck begins. First Pitch from Dodgers Stadium with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson at seven ten. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help. Thanks to Buster Only for his help for coming on the show. You could listen to the interview the show on the iHeartRadio app. Coming up next Jason Smith on Fox Sports Radio. Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 2: See ya,