Speaker 1: Picture this. You are sitting in the darkened cabin of British Airways flight nine.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is such a terrifying one.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's June twenty fourth, nineteen eighty two. You've been flying for hours, just cruising peacefully at thirty seven thousand feet over the pitch black Indian Ocean, heading toward Australia, and.
Speaker 2: You're probably exhausted at that point.
Speaker 1: Exactly, you're exhausted. You look out the window into just total absolute darkness. But then suddenly the windshield and the cockpit is illuminated by this eerie, brilliant white glow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to the pilots it looks exactly like sant Elmo's.
Speaker 1: Fire, which is what exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a crackling electrical sort of spider wave halo you sometimes see dancing across the glass during heavy thunderstorms.
Speaker 1: Okay, but here's the crazy part. There isn't a single storm cloud on the weather radar. I mean, the sky is completely.
Speaker 2: Clear, completely empty, which makes it so much worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then this strange glow just gets worse. Smoke starts pouring into the passenger cabin through the air conditioning vents.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't smell like normal smoke, right, No.
Speaker 1: It smells thick and acrid like sulfur. So you look out the window again and your blood just runs cold because there are huge forty foot jets of sheer, blinding flames shooting out the back.
Speaker 2: Of the engines, which is just I mean, incomprehensible as a passenger.
Speaker 1: And then the engines make this horrible grating, rumbling sound like metal literally tearing itself apart, and they die, all four of them. Lital silence, absolute silence. You are suddenly falling from the sky in a three hundred ton glider.
Speaker 2: It is the ultimate nightmare scenario. I mean, they drop for miles, just completely helpless in the dark, and.
Speaker 1: The crew is trying, what just desperately to restart them.
Speaker 2: Again and again, but they get absolutely nothing. So finally, at around twelve thousand feet, right as the captin prepares to make a completely blind, undoubtedly fatal ditch into the rough open.
Speaker 1: Sea, the engine's miraculously roar back to life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One by one they catch yeah, and the crew manages to pull the seven forty seven out of its dive and they actually limp to a safe lygd ending in Jakarta.
Speaker 1: Which is just this incredible story of survival. But the truly fascinating part of our deep dive today starts when investigators finally look at that plane on the.
Speaker 2: Ground, because what they found completely changed modern aviation.
Speaker 1: It really did. Today, you and I are basically stepping into the shoes of the investigators. We're digging into the flight recorders, the crash reports, the twisted metal, all of it, just to understand the hidden mechanisms of flight.
Speaker 2: Because everyone always says the sky is the safest place on Earth, and statistically it absolutely is right.
Speaker 1: But the aviation Safety Manual, it is written entirely in blood.
Speaker 2: Literally every single safety feature on a modern commercial jet, from the lights on the floor to the software and the cockpit exists because someone somewhere paid the ultimate price right.
Speaker 1: And the clues left behind in these disasters reveal exactly how these invisible threats and mechanical ghosts and the fragile limits of the human mind revolutionize the way we fly.
Speaker 2: So let's look at the clues from British Aways flight nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because when they inspected the seven forty seven on the ground, the paint was practically sand blasted off the nose of the plane. The engines were totally choked with this fine dust and pieces of hardened rock.
Speaker 2: So it wasn't a mechanical failure at all.
Speaker 1: No, it was Mount Galungum, a volcano one hundred and sixty kilometers away, had erupted and sent this massive cloud of ash directly into their flight path.
Speaker 2: But this is where people get confused.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is where my brand stalls out on this because volcanic ash. You know, when you think about it, it sounds like soft, powdery dust you'd sweep out of a fireplace, right exactly. I can see it clogging a filter, sure, but how does a cloud of dust completely assassinate four massive jet engines simultaneously?
Speaker 2: And that is the exact misconception that nearly killed everyone on board, Because volcanic ash isn't soft wood ash, right, It's basically pulverized rock, glass, and minerals. Under a microscope, it's incredibly sharp, jagged, and so.
Speaker 1: That's what Sam blasted the windshields so badly. The pilots couldn't even see out of it exactly.
Speaker 2: But the real lethal threat is the thermodynamics. Okay, unpack that for me, So inside a jet engine's combustion chamber where the fuel is actually ignited. The operating temperature sits around two thousand degrees celsius, but volcanic ash being pulverized rock melts set around fourteen hundred degrees.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So they essentially flew into a cloud of glass and turned their engines into flying kilns.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, they suffocated their own engines with molten rock. The engines inhaled thousands of pounds of this abrasive material, melted it instantly into this sticky molten goo, and it coated the turbine.
Speaker 1: Blades just completely choked off the internal air flaw.
Speaker 2: Right, so the engines choked. They backfired, which caused those massive forty foot flames shooting out the back, and then they stalled out completely.
Speaker 1: But wait, if the engines were literally coated in molten rock, how on earth did they restart at twelve thousand feet?
Speaker 2: And that is the beautiful physics of the offe moment for the investigators. Okay, when the engines died, they stopped generating that two thousand degree heat, so as the plane fell out of the sky, it dropped below the ash cloud into clean, freezing air.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see where this is going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the engines cooled rapidly, that sticky molten rock solidified, turned brittle, and basically shattered, So the.
Speaker 1: Forward momentum of the falling plane literally blew the shattered rock out the back of the engines exactly.
Speaker 2: Once the core was cleared out, the crew was finally able to get a spark to catch and restart the turbines.
Speaker 1: That is wild, and because of Flight nine, the aviation world learned this terrifying lesson. I mean, volcanic ash is completely invisible to standard aircraft weather radar because it's.
Speaker 2: Dry, right, radar bounces off moisture. No moisture, no radar return.
Speaker 1: So today geological agencies and airlines are just constantly communicating to track these invisible ash clouds via satellite. So no plane ever flies into a volcano's exhaust again.
Speaker 2: But you know that was an invisible threat outside the aircraft sometimes the most insidious threat to the ones building up quietly right beneath your feet.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely, which brings us to June nineteen eighty three Air Canada Flight seven ninety seven, a DC nine, flying from Dallas to Toronto.
Speaker 2: This one starts so innocently.
Speaker 1: It's chilling, it really is. They're cruising smoothly. At thirty three thousand feet. The crew hears three circuit breakers pop at the back of the plane, specifically the breakers tied to the flush motor in the rear.
Speaker 2: Washroom and in the cockpit. A popped circuit breaker isn't an emergency. It's usually just.
Speaker 1: A nuisance, like a power surge or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, power surge a mechanical hiccup. You try to reset it and if it doesn't hold, you just tape it off and write it up for maintenance.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly what the captain thought. But fifteen minutes later, a passenger notices a strange, wiry smell, like burning plastic.
Speaker 2: Always a bad sign on a plane, right, So.
Speaker 1: A flight atten and goes to the back, opens the washroom door, and this thick, toxic smoke starts creeping out into the cabin. There are no visible flames.
Speaker 2: Anywhere, thisoxious, expanding cloud of smoke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the crew initiates a desperate emergency descent into Cincinnati. By the time they hit their runway, the cabin is pitch black from the soot. Me you can't see your hand in front of your face passage.
Speaker 2: As a choking struggling to breathe.
Speaker 1: But miraculously, the pilots actually manage a completely blind landing.
Speaker 2: They get the plane on the ground, the tires screeched to a halt. You'd think the nightmare is over right, You'd think they survived, but they didn't.
Speaker 1: They opened the emergency doors to evacuate, and ninety seconds after those doors open, the entire interior of the plane erupts in a massive flash.
Speaker 2: Fire, just devastating.
Speaker 1: Twenty three people died in their seats, including the rising folk music star Stan Rogers. They were just seconds away from stepping onto the tarmac.
Speaker 2: Which forces investigators to ask this huge question, why did it explode after they were safely on the ground, Right.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make sense initially.
Speaker 2: No, But when the National Transportation Safety Board the NTSB dug into the charred remains, they uncovered the terrifying chemistry of incomplete combustion.
Speaker 1: Okay, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: So an electrical fire had started behind the walls of the washroom, but it was starved of oxygen inside that tight fuselage space, so instead of burning cleanly, the wall spaces acted like a chimney oh wow, Yeah, pumping incredibly hot, combustible toxic gases straight up into the ceiling paneling of the passenger cabin.
Speaker 1: So it was just hovering right above their heads. The entire descent, just this hidden toxic cloud packed with carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide.
Speaker 2: Yes, And because it was stars of oxygen, it couldn't fully ignite. It just baked the interior.
Speaker 1: But then they opened the doors exactly.
Speaker 2: When they landed, and popped open the overwing exits and the main doors, an unlimited supply of fresh, cool oxygen rushed into the cabin. It mixed instantly with those superheated gases trapped in the ceiling, and it triggered a flash over.
Speaker 1: So the entire cabin ignited simultaneously.
Speaker 2: Instantly burning all the available oxygen in the plane.
Speaker 1: That is just horrified. But think about the last time you boarded a flight. You probably noticed those floor track lights illuminating the aisle guiding you to the exite. You probably notice the smoke detectors installed in every single lavatory, or those heavy halin fire extinguishers the crew carries. You might take them for granted, but you are sitting in the legacy of Air Canada flights seven nine to seven because every.
Speaker 2: One of those features was mandated specifically because of the people who didn't make it off that runway in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: They finally understood that smoke and fire don't just damage the plane. They totally changed the chemical environment of the cabin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, with fire, investigators at least have physical clues melted wires, scorch marks, soot patterns. The most terrifying investigations are the ones where a plane falls out of a perfectly clear sky, obliterates on impact, and leaves absolutely zero physical evidence behind.
Speaker 1: The mechanical ghosts exactly. So imagine flying on a beautiful windless day, you are just moments from touchdown, landing gears down, you can clearly see the runway, and suddenly the plane just violently flips onto its side and dives straight into the ground. It's unthinkable, but that is exactly what happened to United Flight five eighty five in Colorado Springs in nineteen ninety one, and then again to US Air Flight four to twenty seven in Pittsburgh in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 2: Both were bowing seven thirty sevens. Both were on their final.
Speaker 1: Approach, and both violently rolled out of the sky in a matter of ten seconds. No survivors.
Speaker 2: For accident investigators, tracking down the cause of these two crashes was literally the equivalent of hunting a phantom.
Speaker 1: They had nothing to go on, right, nothing.
Speaker 2: The NTSB spent ten agonizing years trying to find the cause. It was the longest most expensive investigation in aviation history. They tested everything I read.
Speaker 1: They even flew planes into dangerous mountain wind rotors just to see what would happen.
Speaker 2: They did. They tested for freak electromagnetic interference, scrambling the computers too. Nothing made sense.
Speaker 3: Except for one clue, right yeah, The only physical clue they had was that in both wreckage sites, the rudder you know, the massive vertical flap on the tail that steers the nose left and right, had slammed completely to one side and stayed there.
Speaker 1: But they had no idea why. None, And they literally had nothing until a freezing day in nineteen ninety six. East Wind Flight five seventeen is approaching Richmond, Virginia. Suddenly the plane aggressively.
Speaker 2: Rolls to the right, just like the others.
Speaker 1: Just like the others. Captain Brian Bishop steps hard on the opposite left rudder pedal to level the plane out, and the pedal will not budge. It is locked.
Speaker 2: Solid, which is a pilot's worst nightmare.
Speaker 1: For thirty terrifying seconds, they're flying practically sideways, wrestling the control column. Then, just as mysteriously as it started, a loud pop echoes through the floorboards and the rudder snaps back.
Speaker 2: To normal and they managed to land safely.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, finally, after a decade of ghosts, the NTSB had an intact airplane and a living pilot.
Speaker 2: And incredibly, they still almost missed it. Wait, how well they poled the power control unit, the hydraulic mechanical muscle that actually moves the rudder on the tail, and put it on a test bench. They ran it over and over and it worked flawlessly.
Speaker 1: It was a perfectly engineered piece of hardware, or so it seemed exactly.
Speaker 2: It was only when an engineer decided to design this extreme thermal shock test that the ghost finally revealed itself.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me about this test.
Speaker 2: They froze the internal servo valve to simulate the freezing temperatures of high altitude cruising, and then suddenly blasted it with superheated hydraulic fluid, which simulated the heat generated as the pilots used the rudder during descent.
Speaker 1: And because of the extreme temperature difference, the microscopic metal components inside the valve expanded at different rates, so it jammed.
Speaker 2: Not only did it jam, but the internal flight moved just a fraction of a millimeter out of alignment. An engineer looking at the hydraulic pressure data realized that the valve didn't just lock up, it actually reversed its function.
Speaker 1: Okay, so imagine you were driving seventy miles per hour on the highway. You see a pothole, so you naturally turn your steering wheel to the right to avoid it. Right, But a microscopic mechanical glitch inside your steering column takes your right word movement, reverses the hydrault flow and violently swerves the car to the left, straight into a concrete wall.
Speaker 2: That is exactly what the dual servvalve did to those pilots.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: When the plane started tilting left due to a gust of wind, they pushed the right pedal to correct it like they were trained to do, but the reverse valve took their input and sent the rudder hard left instead.
Speaker 1: So the harder they thought to save the plane, the harder the plane drove itself into the ground. They were completely helpless.
Speaker 2: It is a chilling realization. But because of that thermal shock discovery, Boeing spent hundreds of millions of dollars entirely redesigning and replacing the servo valves on thousands of seven hundred and thirty seven's worldwide.
Speaker 1: And they added a secondary override system so a jam could never dictate the flight path again exactly. So we've seen ghosts inside the machine itself. But what about the massive in visible systems guiding the machines.
Speaker 2: From the ground, the air traffic control systems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's shift our focus to August nineteen eighty six, a beautiful, crystal clear Labor Day weekend in Los Angeles air in Mexico. Flight four ninety eight, a DC nine is descending toward Los Angeles International Airport.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, a man named William Kramer is flying his family in a small private Piper Cherokee.
Speaker 1: And he's a relatively new pilot.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, he's unfamiliar with the area, he's lost, and he's navigating by basically just looking out the window following the freeways below him.
Speaker 1: And without realizing it, he wanders straight into LAX's highly restricted airspace.
Speaker 2: Now down on the ground in a dark radar room, you have an air traffic controller named Walter.
Speaker 1: White, not the one from the TV show right.
Speaker 2: No, But he's managing a highly complex sequence of massive commercial arrivals. But his attention gets diverted by yet another private plane, a Grumman Tiger that has also blundered into his airspace unannounced.
Speaker 1: So while he's distracted talking to the Grumman trying to get it out of the way of the heavy jets, the Piper Cherokee and the Aero Mexico DC nine physically collide mid air over a suburban neighborhood in Cerritos.
Speaker 2: It's just terrific.
Speaker 1: The Piper slices the jet's horizontal stabilizer completely off. Eighty two people die, including fifteen innocent people on the ground. Entire houses were wiped off the map by the falling wreckage.
Speaker 2: It is a catastrophic failure of the air traffic system.
Speaker 1: But the most haunting question is how on Earth did the controller not see the Piper Cherokee on his radar screen heading straight for the jet.
Speaker 2: Well, that crash really exposed the tragic, fatal limitations of the technology at the time. The analog radar system suffered from something called flicker good flicker. Yeah, if the ancient computers got overloaded with data, secondary targets would simply drop off the screen for a sweep or two of the radar arms.
Speaker 1: So it just vanished.
Speaker 2: Yes. Furthermore, the piper's transponder was really basic. It was a mode A, meaning it only broadcast its position, not its altitude. Ah, so even if it popped up on the controllers screen, it was just this two dimensional blip with no height data flashing on and off right at the exact moment he was fixated on another rogue plane.
Speaker 1: But wait, it was a perfectly clear sunny day in southern California. Even if the radar was glitchy, Why didn't the pilots just look out the window and avoid each other? I mean, the rules of the sky dictate see and avoid.
Speaker 2: Well, see and avoid is a concept from the era of biplanes, and Serrita's proved it has fundamentally flawed at.
Speaker 1: Jet speeds because things are moving too fast exactly.
Speaker 2: It comes down to the strict biological limits of human eyesight. Studies conducted after the crash proved that a pilot needs a minimum of twelve seconds to spot an approaching aircraft, physically focus their eyes on it, recognize it as a collision thread, decide on an evasive maneuver, physically move the flight controls, and then wait for the inertia of a massive jet to actually change direction.
Speaker 1: Twelve seconds at three hundred miles an hour is an absolute eternity.
Speaker 2: It really is. Because the piper Cherokee was so small. By the time it was physically large enough in the DC nine's windshield to trigger a visual reaction, they were well passed that twelve second window.
Speaker 1: You literally biologically cannot react fast enough.
Speaker 2: The human eye is just not designed to prevent mid air collisions at jet.
Speaker 1: Speeds, and that realization completely transformed the airspace we fly in today. Congress actually stepped in and mandated a system called TCAs the Traffic Collision Avoidance System, which is brilliant Today. Every commercial jet is constantly invisibly broadcasting its position, speed, and altitude, communicating directly with the planes around it.
Speaker 2: Right, So if two planes get dangerously close. The computers bypass the air traffic controllers entirely.
Speaker 1: They talk to each other, and they issue loud voice commands directly into the pilot's headsets. One plane is commanded to climb, the other is commanded to descend.
Speaker 2: It takes the flawed human reaction time completely out of the equation.
Speaker 1: Which highlights a profound truth in accident investigation. You can engineer out the mechanical flaws, you can build flawless radar, you can invent TCA.
Speaker 2: But there is one variable in the cockpit that can never be fully engineered, updated, or patched.
Speaker 1: The human mind.
Speaker 2: The human element is, without a doubt, the most complex, unpredictable system on any aircraft.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about August nineteen ninety seven. Korean air flight eight oh one is on final approach to the island of Guam. It's well past midnight, and it.
Speaker 2: Is pouring rain, terrible conditions.
Speaker 1: Captain Park is a highly decorated pilot, but he is running on fumes. He is deeply fatigued. To make matters worse, the airport's electronic glide slope, the invisible radio beam that guides planes vertically down to the runway, is out of service for routine maintenance.
Speaker 2: So they are essentially flying a non precision approach blind in a tropical storm, relying entirely on altitude charts and timing.
Speaker 1: Which leaves very little room for error.
Speaker 2: Exactly. But there is a massive systemic failure lurking in the background here, well is it? The airport had a Minimum Safe Altitude Warning System or MSAW. It's a radar safety net designed to layer an alarm at the air traffic controllers if a plane drops dangerously low toward the.
Speaker 1: Terrain right to warn them they're about to hit a mountain.
Speaker 2: But the Federal Aviation Administration, the FAA, had deliberately moved the system's tracking zone eighty kilometers out to sea.
Speaker 1: Okay. I remember reading this in the report and thinking it was a typo. Why on Earth had an aviation authority take a safety net designed to protect mountains and move it out over the empty ocean.
Speaker 2: It's a psychological phenomenon called alarm fatigue.
Speaker 1: Oh, like when a car alarm goes off so much you just ignore it.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The MSIW alarms kept going off for planes that were landing perfectly safely. It was just too sensitive and instead of recalibrating the software. The controllers considered the constant beeping and nuisance, so.
Speaker 1: They basically turned it off to stop.
Speaker 2: The annoying alarms in the tower. They essentially disabled the safety net by moving its parameters where no planes were flying.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Because of that bureaucratic decision, the controllers sitting in the tower had absolutely no idea that Captain Park, battling critigue in the storm, had lost his situational awareness and was descending his seven forty seven way too.
Speaker 1: Early, and the result is devastating. They crash into the dense jungle of Nimitz Hill, three miles short of the runway, two hundred and fifty four people on board, and only twenty six survive.
Speaker 2: It's heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: One of those survivors is a man named Barry Small, a helicopter pilot. His survival story highlights how incredibly arbitrary surviving a crash can be.
Speaker 2: Yeah. His story is intense.
Speaker 1: He survived the extreme g forces of the impact because his legs smash into a solid metal baggage crossbar under the seat in front of him. It shattered his femur, but it physically stopped his body from flying forward and breaking his neck.
Speaker 2: And he actually lobbied relentlessly after the crash to have those seat designs change.
Speaker 1: He did, but as he sat trapped in the wreckage, he watched a massive fire tear through the cabin, A fire heavily fueled by hundreds of liters of duty free alcohol stored in the overhead bins, just bursting and raining down on people.
Speaker 2: It's a stark reminder of the brutality of these events. I mean a metal crossbar or shattered leg, a bottle of liquor. These completely arbitrary details dictate who lives and dies.
Speaker 1: But the root cause wasn't the storm. It was human fatigue in the cockpit and a culture of complacency on the ground that disabled a vital safety net just to avoid a nuisance alarm.
Speaker 2: Which brings us to a climax in our investigation today, a story of human error and psychology that is almost unbelievable to comprehend.
Speaker 1: February nineteen eighty five, China Airlines Flight Zebra zero six is flying high over the Pacific Ocean en route to Los Angeles. It's the middle of the night. Suddenly, engine number four on the far right wing starts losing.
Speaker 2: Power, so thrust becomes asymmetrical and the massive plane begins to slowly bank to the right.
Speaker 1: Instead of disconnecting the computers and manually pushing the left rudder pedal to keep the plane flying straight, Captain Hoe leaves the autopilot engaged.
Speaker 2: And here's the fatal trap of automation. The autopilot on that specific seven forty seven cannot control the rudder. It's just not wired too. It recognizes the plane is tilting right, so it tries the level of the wings using the ailerons the flaps on the wings, but the aerodynamic drag of the dead engine is just too strong.
Speaker 1: That's what happens.
Speaker 2: The autopilot reaches its mechanical limit. The plane keeps tilting further and further until it literally slips upside down onto its back and goes into a vertical dive.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to stop you here because they are in a seven forty seven. They have three highly trained pilots sitting in the cockpit. I know they're flying over the Pacific in the middle of the night, so their body clocks must have been completely wrecked. I mean, I can barely operate my microwave on severe jet lag. Let alone troubleshoot a dying engine exactly.
Speaker 2: Fatigue plays a huge role, But how do.
Speaker 1: Three pilots just watch their plane roll upside down into a thirty thousand foot free fall, dropping out of the sky at near supersonic speeds. The g forces were so intense that the flight engineer was physically pinned to the floor. Passengers were watching the ceiling panels rip off from the sheer aerodynamic stress. How does a crew let it get to that point?
Speaker 2: Investigators isolated down to three specific psychological traps, they completely overrode their training. First task fixation okay, meaning what the crew became utterly obsessed with trying to restart that single failing engine. They stared relentlessly at the engine gages and completely stopped scanning their primary flight instruments vision.
Speaker 1: The engine became the only thing in the world that mattered exactly.
Speaker 2: Second trap, spatial disorientation. When they finally broke their fixation and looked at the attitude indicator, the artificial horizon that tells you which way is up, it was showing the plane almost completely upside down in a vertical dive.
Speaker 1: But they didn't believe it.
Speaker 2: No, because they were flying through thick, pitch black clouds with no visual horizon outside the window. Their inner ears were lying to them. The reading on the instrument was so extreme, so aerodynamically impossible. In their minds, they just assumed the instrument.
Speaker 1: Was broken, so they didn't think they were falling.
Speaker 2: The somatographic illusion made them feel like they were flying levels, so they didn't believe the plane was actually plummeting.
Speaker 1: And the third trap is the exhaustion you mentioned right, yes.
Speaker 2: De synchronosis severe jet lag. In the previous six days, Captain Hoad crossed eighteen time zones. His circadian rhythm was completely shattered. His brain was physiologically in its deepest, most sluggish sleep cycle, right at the exact moment he needed his maximum cognitive and creative problem solving skills.
Speaker 1: It was an over reliance on automation compounded by an exhausted crew whose senses were actively lying to.
Speaker 2: Them, But somehow, incredibly they saved it.
Speaker 1: I still can't believe this part. They fall vertically through the clouds for tens of thousands of feet. Finally they break through the cloud deck. The captain sees the actual horizon of the ocean. His brain snaps out of the illusion, and at ninety five hundred feet, literally seconds away from hitting the water, he grabs the yolk and manually pulls the plane out of the dive.
Speaker 2: They pull massive G forces.
Speaker 1: The landing gear doors rip right off the plane from the extreme aero dynamic stress. The horizontal stabilizer is severely damaged, but they managed to pull up and limp to an emergency landing in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: It is an absolute masterpiece of recovery, but it is preceded by a terrifying cascade of completely avoidable human errors.
Speaker 1: And it forced the entire aviation industry to rethink how humans and computers interact in the cockpit.
Speaker 2: We realized that if pilots rely too heavily on automation, their basic flying skills degrade and their situational awareness just evaporates.
Speaker 1: When we look at all the twisted metal and the flight data we've unpacked today, one thing becomes crystal clear. The aviation industry truly is a monument built on hard learned lessons.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: When we trace the Saint Elmo's Fire of British Airways nine, the suffocating, hidden smoke of Air Canada seven ninety seven, the mechanical ghosts lurking in the seven hundred thirty seven rudders, the tragic blind spots over Cerritos, and the automation traps over the Pacific. Every single feature of modern flight safety owes its existence to these events.
Speaker 2: It's a testament to the relentless dedication of investigators, the courage of the survivors, and an industry that fundamentally refuses to let these tragedies be in vain. We investigate, we learn, we engineer, and we adapt.
Speaker 1: But I want to leave you with a provocative thought. The next time you are sitting in a terminal waiting to board your flight, look out the window at the cockpit and consider this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a big one.
Speaker 1: As we push relentlessly toward a future of fully automated computer flown AI driven jets, we are desperately trying to design out human error. We want perfect algorithms flying perfect routes. But in doing so, by removing the human element, are we slowly stripping away the human intuition.
Speaker 2: That's split second creativity.
Speaker 1: Exactly, that split second creativity that is sometimes the only thing capable of recognizing an impossible situation, grabbing the controls and pulling a doomed flight out of a thirty thousand foot free fall.
Speaker 2: Because when the sensors fail, the screen go dark and the manual doesn't have the answer. You need a human mind to read the murky waters.
Speaker 1: Think about that next time you look up at the sky.