Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, OH.
Speaker 3: KFI Radio.
Speaker 4: This is Mission Control, Houston.
Speaker 2: Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 5: Station.
Speaker 3: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 6: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 6: Landed and his name is Amy King.
Speaker 7: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 3: It is five o'clock, straight up, good morning.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Tuesday, April twenty second. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Whether you're listening on the app or in the car, or in the bathroom, or in the kitchen or the living room, wherever you are. We're just glad you're here. Today's Earth Day, April twenty second. I think I'm gonna go and lay in some dirt.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Also, I told you guys last week that I tripped and I jammed my finger and I thought it was broken. I don't think it's broken, but it was jammed pretty good and it still hurts. And I went to put on a ring today because the next day it was swollen, so I like took off the ring. I can't get it back on, Like everything's still like wonky swollen. So I'm worried that maybe maybe it's the maybe it is broken. But then i'd have to go to the doctor. We'll see, Hopefully it'll heal and hopefully I can get my rings back on, because that's where we're my rings.
Speaker 3: Here's what's the head on wake up call. Hundreds of City.
Speaker 1: Of la employees could be out of a job under Mayor's Bass's budget proposal. During her State of the City address yesterday, Mayor Bass said the city could lay off about sixteen hundred workers to help deal with a nearly one billion dollar budget deficit in the upcoming fiscal year. Harvard has sued the Trump administration to get back more than two billion dollars in federal funding frozen by the administration. Meantime, the administration is looking at blocking another billion dollars in funding. The IRS is moving to remove the Ivy League University's tax exempt status as well. The Vatican says Pope Francis died of a stroke. The stroke left him in a coma and he suffered what doctors say was an irreversible cardio circulatory collapse. He made his final appearance before thousands of faithful on the balcony of Saint Peter's Basilica on Easter Sunday. The Pope's body will lie in state at the Basilica starting tomorrow. ABC's Karen Travers is going to join us to talk about travel plans, who's going to the funeral and when it is, and.
Speaker 3: Then what's next.
Speaker 1: Doctor Michael Gregor says he's got more than one hundred recipes that are going to help you get healthier and live longer, and.
Speaker 3: Who doesn't want that?
Speaker 1: Right, We're going to be talking to him about his How Not To Age cookbook Coming up at five twenty I Deserved. As I mentioned, one young woman wants change and canfi's Andrew Caravell is going to tell us how she plans to do it, one song at a time. Also, the host of How To Money, coming up before the top of the hour, will be talking about eight K TVs and whether the picture is worth the price.
Speaker 3: Well, so price.
Speaker 1: Locks sound like a good thing, but are they? And Joel's going to talk about the return of Overdraft fees. It's all coming up. Let's get started with some of the story coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The mayor's budget proposal includes laying off more than sixteen hundred city workers.
Speaker 8: Basays she hopes to avoid these layoffs and plans to go to Sacramento this week to talk to lawmakers about a state bailout. But she's also proposing consolidating multiple departments to help close an estimated billion dollar budget deficit.
Speaker 9: Because we must have fundamental change starting now and moving.
Speaker 8: Forward, Bass has recommended an increase to the fire department's budget and an additional two hundred and seventy seven positions. She expects the police department to shrink even more over the coming year. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: LA County Supervisor Catherine Barger says she plans to make sure that repermitting in the Altadena fire burn zones doesn't take any longer than thirty days. Barger tells KFI the fragmentation of different departments to review the same permit application for two weeks each is now history.
Speaker 4: There's no reason it should take any longer, none, especially when a lot of people are doing life for Life mean they're building to the same ware footage as prior.
Speaker 1: Barger says she'll be keeping close tabs on the permitting process to make sure people's applications don't get dragged out unnecessarily. Secondhand stores could win big because of tariffs.
Speaker 10: President Trump's stairs are expected to drive up new clothing costsins. Nearly all shoes and apparels sold in the US are imports. Higher prices may send shoppers to online resale sites and consignment stores in search of deals or to turn wardrobes into cash. Popular resale platforms Rebag and Poshmark are preparing for more business with expansion and marketing plans. Debor Mark koff I News.
Speaker 1: Homeboy Industries has gone to the dogs, opening Homeboy Puppy Fades, its first dog grooming business. Homeboy Industries has been rehabilitating and putting former gang members to work since nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 3: They do such good work.
Speaker 1: They now have bakeries, cafes, They have the Pepito coffee shop that opened up in Pasadena that we've told you about, k Tering farmers' markets, and of course Homeboys famous chips and salsa. Father Boyle, who founded Homeboys industry says plans are to open more dog grooming businesses around LA by the end of this year. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, Plans are being put in place for the funeral of Pope Francis. They just announced the date and President Trump and First Lady Milania will attend.
Speaker 11: Yes The President said yesterday that he and the First Lady will be going to Pope Francis's funeral in Rome that the Vatican had announced will take place now it Saturday morning, ten o'clock Rome time. The President said in a social media post yesterday, we look forward to being there. He signed an executive order yesterday to have the flags flown across the nation at half staff to mark the death of Pope Francis, a sign of respect.
Speaker 4: He gave brief remarks.
Speaker 11: Yesterday at the Easter egg Rolls, standing on a balcony there, saying that Pope Francis was a good man, he worked hard, he loved world, and he later told reporters that he, especially the Pope especially love people who are having a hard time. And as the President said, that's good with me.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: You mentioned that he signed an executive order.
Speaker 1: I didn't know they had to have an executive order to have flags fly at half staff.
Speaker 11: It's like a formality thing a president has to do it. They put out the official release like that exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting to me because I think until the last few administrations, they used to do lots of executive orders, but they were all small, more like that's more of a housekeeping thing, you know, than these big, broad things that we're seeing now.
Speaker 3: I think it's kind of interesting that.
Speaker 11: You know, he's doing this because Congress isn't doing legislation. I mean, this is because the president wants to show action, you know, showing that he is signing things, whether or not it's big things tariffs or modest things that maybe are going to immediately get challenged in court. You know, there isn't legislation that versus sending him that, you know, especially on his big agenda. So this is his way to say, look what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So back to the pope. Sorry, got side fright.
Speaker 1: So for his funeral, which they just announced is going to be Saturday, are is kind of everybody from around the world coming to this?
Speaker 3: Is everybody invited?
Speaker 11: I don't know, that's something that the Vatican handles. We haven't seen yet who else would be going. It was just a president saying yesterday he would be attending. You know, I would think they extend the invitations to world leaders dignitaries, as we've seen in previous passings of popes. I think it'd be notable to see if former President Biden goes. He had a very close relationship with Pope Francis. President Obama knew him as well, not the same way that President Biden did, but you know, it's a chance for those presidents to pay their respects to somebody that they met with in Washington.
Speaker 1: Absolutely someone who worked to change the world. ABC's Karen Travers, thank you so much for the info today. Have a great day, all right, you two, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Former Fox News host Steve Hilton says he's going to run for governor of California. He says he's been thinking about it for a while now.
Speaker 4: I think this is the best shot we have in twenty years the really turning things around in California and getting the change that we so desperately need.
Speaker 1: Hilton served as an advisor to former British Prime Minister David Cameron. His campaign will kick off officially today. He is running as a Republican. Harvard University is suing the Trump administration over its move to freeze more than two billion dollars in federal funding. ABC's Peter Haralambus says the lawsuit is the latest salvo in the administration's efforts to force policy changes at some of the biggest universities.
Speaker 4: Harvard argues that by freezing more than two billion dollars in funding, the Trump administration violated the First Amendment, broke federal law, and imperiled life saving medical research.
Speaker 1: Harvard's president and says the lawsuit is necessary to push back against what he describes as unprecedented and illegal government overreach. The wife of former New Jersey Democratic Senator Bob Menendez has been convicted of teaming up with her husband to accept bribes of cash, gold bars, and a luxury car from three New jerseymen looking for help with their business dealings or legal troubles. Nadine Menendez was found guilty yesterday on all fifteen charges against her. Bob Mendez is supposed to start serving his eleven year prison term in June. Delta flight has caught fire just before takeoff in Atlanta. The fire started in an engine tail pipe as the Atlanta bound plane pushed back from the gate. This passenger says people were yelling fire.
Speaker 8: Kids are having panic attacks, you know, moms and dads are worried about the kids, grabbing over the kids.
Speaker 1: As firefighters hose down the wing, the plane was emptied out, with passengers going down slides and stairs. Gartment of Education is going to start collections next month on student loans in defaults.
Speaker 7: Roughly five point three million borrowers are in default on their federal student loans, and starting May fifth, the Education Department will begin involuntary collection through the Treasury Department's Offset program, which withholds payments from the government, including tax refunds, federal salaries, and other benefits from people with past due debts to the government after a thirty day notice. The department will also begin garnishing wages for borrowers in default. Mark ronor KFI News.
Speaker 1: META says it's cracking down on teenagers who lie about their age. ABC's Mike Debuski says Meta rolled out teen accounts last year that limit who can see and message teenagers on its platform.
Speaker 12: Using artificial intelligence. Meta now says it's going to automatically place users suspected of being under age into a more restrictive form of account on Facebook and Instagram.
Speaker 1: Meta also says it's giving people the option to change their settings in case it makes a mistake. Generation X, often dubbed the Forgotten Generation, could be getting a rebrand.
Speaker 13: And it's all thanks to the hit nineteen eighty five film The Goonies. Reports say the Generation Gooney trend on TikTok has gone viral. Users feel like Generation Gooney captures the adventurous and independent spirit of people born from nineteen seventy to nineteen eighty five better than Gen X. Those are the kids that grew up biking with friends, playing outside all day, and living life without phones or social media. Many are embracing the new label, while others aren't quite ready.
Speaker 2: To give up the X.
Speaker 3: Heather Brooker KFI.
Speaker 1: News, the Goonies generation seriously come on, people, LA Archbishop Jose Gomez has remembered Pope Francis at Easter Monday Mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown LA. He said Francis had impact in Los Angeles and around the world, and all Catholics should continue Francis's work by helping those in need around the world. The Pope's funeral has been set for Saturday. Long Beach police are looking for a men caught on video picking up a dog off the ground by its leash, then slamming it into the ground several times. He's then seen kicking the animal. Pete is offering a five thousand dollars reward for information leading to his arrest and conviction.
Speaker 3: Ah. Doesn't that just make your blood boil.
Speaker 1: Some of the best and some of the least desirable places to move to are in California. Consumer affairs is Roseville, outside Sacramento is the top city for people to move to because of its quality of life, low poverty levels, and unemployment rates. Oakland, Berkeley, Lancaster, Almonte, and Los Angeles rank among the least desirable cities to move to. Let's say good morning now to the author of How Not To Age Cookbook. It's doctor Michael Gregor. Good morning, doctor.
Speaker 4: Gregor, Good morning to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's just dive right in doctor Gregor, because you got some stuff that's gonna well, it's not gonna stop us from dying, but it'll keep us healthier and help us live longer. So and this sounds like something I can totally sink my teeth into. Tell us about your book, please.
Speaker 4: Yes, see How Not to Age cookbook based on my book How Not to Age, which came out recently. My aim with an otage. This creat the most comprehensive anti aging book ever written, covering every possible strategy for slowing the aging process. It's the longest healthiest life based on the best available balance of scientific evidence. And the good news is we have tremendous power over our health, death, and longevity, and that's the vast majority of premature death and disability is preventable with a healthy enough guy. In lifestyle, you know.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of talk recently about how this how we're eating all these overprocessed foods and that's causing all kinds of problems for us. So does your book basically cut that out and get back to basics.
Speaker 4: Yes, we really do need to decrease our take a ultra process foods. Based on studies of identical twins only about twenty five percent of the difference and lifespan between people is determined by genetics. So for what we can do over the majority of which we have some control, we can look to the blue zones, these areas of exceptional longevity around the world where dietary surveys suggest we should center our diets around whole plant foods, So we're minimizing those processed foods meat, dairy, sugar, eggs, salt, while maximizing fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes like beans, flot beans, chick bes and lentils, not and theds, mush observes, and spices, basically real food that grows out of the ground. Those are our healthiest choices.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, like when you're shopping, stick to that center section where all the fruits and vegetables are as opposed to the aisles where there's all the process stuff.
Speaker 4: We love the producetyle. But then there's also like the bulk section where you also get bulkhole grains and holy pasta and legums and things. There's lots of healthy food if you cannot get distracted by you know, the glaring, you know, fluorescent marshmallow cereal staring at you.
Speaker 1: Well, and that doctor Gregor, that's something that I mean, like, everybody's really busy today.
Speaker 3: I know that. And this is just me talking that. My schedule is really screwy.
Speaker 1: So by four thirty or five o'clock at night, when it's time for dinner, because I, you know, eat dinner at the same time as a ninety year old, I don't want to cook.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do that. So how do you.
Speaker 1: Make it easier for people not to just do the grab and go and actually put a meal together?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's why I like batch cooking so much. So on a week when you have a little time, you can batch cook you know, the whole grains or the beans or whatever. So you have things kind of ready to eat or ready to just kind of throw together. And you know, anyone who thinks, you know, they you know, can't eat healthy without being convenient. It has never met an apple. Some of they eat. There's the most convenient foods you can. You can even eat the wrapper like it's like just right there, or you know, microwave a sweet potato, or it's like there's simple things that are really quick, really easy. And so yeah, we really don't need to go to some of those package things which have way too much salt sugar out of sects.
Speaker 3: Love the apple analogy.
Speaker 1: That's so perfect, dude, doctor Gregor, Like, why did you decide you wanted to do this?
Speaker 3: Like what's the motivation for making this cookbook?
Speaker 4: Oh? Well, you know, you know, I didn't want to just be a reference book to the time of days is worth thirteen thousand citations, So I really wanted to be kind of a day to day grocery stores dial guide. I'm making a practice on how to include some of the healthiest of healthy foods into one's daily diet. And not only is every recipe healthy, including all the desserts, every single ingredient of every recipe is healthy. So you know, how do you make thing salty without saltur sweet without sugar? Those are some of the kind of challenges we face. I'm really proud what we're.
Speaker 1: Able to comp Okay, I want to know how do you make things salty without salt and sweet without sugar?
Speaker 4: Ah, you use Well, there's lots of ways, but potassium based salt substitutes. So using potassium chlorid instead of sodium chlorid have been shown me randomized control trial to significantly decreased cardiovascular disease risk. And even just a half and half blend of regular salt sodium chlorid with that potassium salt, which you can buy at any grocery store such that you wouldn't even be able to taste the difference can significantly improve one's health by helping rower in one's cholesterol, I excuse me, one's blood pressure. And so that's one of the tricks. Another is in baking and cooking, you can use me So, which is kind of a fermented soy paste from Asia. It's the only food with with substantial mulcile certium that isn't associated with semi cancer risk or high blood pressure, the two things we worry about when we're getting that too much salt in our diet.
Speaker 1: So there there's other ways to use me So, aside from miso soup, which I love.
Speaker 4: Oh right, No, So you can take me so and you can use them stir it in to make savory sauces. So it has that nice and mommy flavor and has that saltiness which can help in a variety of dishes. So, yeah, we use me So a lot in the cookbook because we really want to find ways to decrease their consumption of regular salt.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then doctor Gregor, we're talking to doctor Gregor, the author of How Not to Age Cookbook. You've got one hundred recipes for getting healthier, living longer. Are they hard to make? Or are they quick? Or are they user friendly?
Speaker 4: It really spans the gambit. So there are some you know, fancy recipes you know for holidays that take some time, but there's also a lot of really quick and easy options, some things you can prep beforehand. So we shouldn't I mean, we shouldn't be faced with that the you know, the the choice that you have that you you know, talked about before of a you know, am I gonna eat convenient? Am I gonna eat healthy? Am I going to you know, eat something inexpensive? Or am I gonna eat something healthy? You really can have it all, and it may take a few weeks for your taste buds to change to really appreciate the taste of whole mass of foods. But you'd be surprised once we stop you know, you know, numbing our palate with hyper salty, hyper sweet, hyper fatty foods. All of a sudden, normal natural healthy foods start tasting good, like you know, corner of the cob without salt, without butter. I mean it's just absolutely unthinkable now, but unbelievably after Once your taste buds start to shift, that can be incredibly delicious. But you know, the rightest peach in the world's gonna taste sour after a bulletfrour loops. But once your palate starts to adapt to healthy foods, then you're in the best of both worlds taste great and you get to live longer. That's what plant based dealing is all about.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you say plant based is the way to go, What about us meat eaters? I mean, like, can we do is it cutting back on it good or do we have to go completely plant based?
Speaker 3: Because that's a big ask.
Speaker 4: Oh, we should eat primarily plants, not necessarily exclusively plants. So plant based I is really more about just maximizing the intake of the healthiest foods. You know, as a as a physician, labels like vegetarian and or vegan, I mean that just tells me what you don't eat. I mean you actually eat vegetables, yes, And look, it doesn't matter what you within your birth days, holiday, special occasions. But on a day to day basis, we really should try to center our diets around you know, natural foods from fields, not Factor. It's these unprocessed plant foods.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I can't wait to check out the recipes for myself. I know we're waiting for our copies, so I haven't had a chance to look through everything just yet.
Speaker 3: But we will.
Speaker 1: And for people who are interested in How Not To Age Cookbook, where can we get more information?
Speaker 3: And of course where can we get the book?
Speaker 4: I mean get the book anywhere. The best place to get all books your local public library and you go Nutrition Factor or where all my work is available free.
Speaker 1: Okay, Doctor Michael Gregor, author of How Not to Age Cookbook one hundred recipes, actually one hundred plus recipes for getting healthier and living longer. Always a great idea. Thanks so much for your time in Info this morning.
Speaker 3: Thank you, all right, take care.
Speaker 1: The LAPD says it's looking for a man who was riding a bike and cut down several large trees in downtown La. LAPD Officer Norma Eisenman says surveillance video shows the guy wearing all dark clothing, riding up to a tree on Grand Avenue and cutting it down with a chainsaw, and then he cut down several more trees. La Marebath says those shade trees will be replaced. The Los Angeles Innocence Project is finled a nearly four hundred page petition that it says has new information proving convicted killer Scott Peterson is innocent and should have his conviction overturned. His wife, Lacy Peterson, disappeared from their home in Modesto Christmas Eve two thousand and two. Peterson was found guilty of her murder in two thousand and four. Prime Video is making the Oscar winning movie Conclave available to streams starting today. The film centers around the death of a pope and the process of electing a new one. Could be of particular interest as cardinals from around the world head to the Vatican to choose a new pope in the wake of Pope Francis's death. Yesterday, at six oh five, it's handle on the news. How do you deal with a billion dollar deficit? Lots of job cuts. Bill's going to be talking about that. It is Earth Day today, and there's one young woman in Los Angeles who wants Change. In fact, that's the name of her song. Kfi's Andrew Caravella tells us how she plans to do it one song at a time.
Speaker 2: This Earth Day, and eleven year old musical prodigy is turning up the volume on climate action. Nova, a gifted young singer songwriter in southern California, has just released Change, an original anthem calling on p of all ages to protect the planet a law Today.
Speaker 5: Every wait all will come.
Speaker 11: To the West.
Speaker 2: The visually stunning music video was filmed across the Los Angeles area and directed by award winning filmmakers by You Bennett and Daniel Lear that are known as the Dream Team Directors. Their past credits include work with Michelle Pfeiffer, Ella Hadid, and Mark Ruffalo. The video blends environmental activism with upcycled fashion, both visuals and a message of hope, all backed by production from music industry heavyweights like Chris Garcia, whose resume includes Adel and Lana del Rey.
Speaker 9: The Dream Team directors really helped me to bring my vision to life. They planned all of the scenes and with others.
Speaker 2: Nova says the song Change is more than just a song, It's a movement to wake people up to the everyday choices that are impacting our planet.
Speaker 13: I made this.
Speaker 9: Music video because I noticed how we were hurting our world left, growing plastic into the ocean and cutting down trees without planning new ones. And this is It's really important to me because I love this wonderful planet of ours, and I believe that every single one of us has a role to plan and protecting it.
Speaker 2: The project also features eco conscious fashion by Kay Alexander and partnerships with Long Beach Organics and Algalita, spotlighting real efforts and sustainable living.
Speaker 5: The world that love is breaking down, So change before Suley, if we all life for Combo.
Speaker 2: West California leads the nation in climate action, with the state committing to carbon neutrality by twenty forty five. The state has invested heavily and renewable energy, with over thirty percent of its electricity now coming from clean sources. Change taps into this momentum, urging a new generation to take action.
Speaker 9: I want people to be inspired to help bring them much need to change their world by taking better care of the planet, like using some of the examples I've.
Speaker 2: Told before, with talent, passion, and purpose Nova's Changed delivers a message that hits all the right notes, just in time for Earth Day. To see the full music video and join the movement, you can go to Dream Team directors dot com in studio Andrew Caravella Kafi Newso.
Speaker 5: That is breaking down so changed before to.
Speaker 3: Eleven years old. Nice time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe, fresh off an extended vacation. Welcome back, Courtney.
Speaker 6: Oh you know, I was thinking the markets would change. That wouldn't be so crazy because I took a little bit of a break.
Speaker 3: But not the case. Not the case missed it. It was missed a whopper yesterday.
Speaker 6: I know, I know, and especially it made me think about this morning eight degrees in South Florida. I'm like, oh, maybe I should go back there. But President Trump, he rattled Wall Street yesterday. He suggested that he has the ability to remove FED share J.
Speaker 3: Powell.
Speaker 6: Now, anytime there is any sort of uncertainty, that always rattles Wall Street. And the President also warned that the economy may slow if the FED doesn't move to cut interest rates immediately.
Speaker 3: But see here's the problem.
Speaker 6: Traders are now questioning whether the Federal Reserve can maintain its long standing independence because Federal Reserve is always independent from the politics. So there's a lot of issues out there when we look at what's going on with the Federal Reserve. That since stocks lower yesterday, the Dow drop nine hundred and seventy two points, but usually when things go down, they bounce back again. We are seeing a little bit of a rebound this morning, not as big as the drop yesterday, so we're not recovering all of the losses that we had yesterday, but it's looking pretty solid right now. Dow futures are up three hundred and twenty points, SMP futures again gaining eight tens of a percent in trading.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So something else that's coming out today is Tesla earnings, and I from everything I've heard, they're not expecting it to be very positive report.
Speaker 9: Hoy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's coming after the closing belt today, so a lot of focuses on that. So the results may pressure Elon Musk to address all the criticism not only from folks on Main Street but folks on Wall Street that his political involvement has been hurting his businesses.
Speaker 3: So, for example, last.
Speaker 6: Week Reuter's reported that the EV maker is going to delay the launch of its longwaighted lower cost model by several months. So investors they were hoping that the stripped down version of the model why could revive demand, But some people are saying, well, did Elon Musk have his eye on the prize there? And also when you look at it, Tesla sales are right now at a three year low in the first three months of the year, and Wall Street analysts all across the board they've been slashing all their growth expectations for what they see ahead for Tesla, and right now when you look at it, Tesla shares have plunged forty four percent this year, So a big drop for those shares.
Speaker 3: But a lot of people are going to be focused after the bell today.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a quick question for you. I don't know that that's a quick answer, but I know that a lot of that stuff that i'd heard before Elon started the doge thing, that you know, EV sales had kind of leveled off. Is that so maybe there would maybe there would have been a little bit of a drop, just not this massive one that we're seeing.
Speaker 6: Exactly exactly, No, So it is a generally simple answer in a way that a lot of people who wanted to get on the board of evs and go out and buy them, a lot of people already did. And you know, when you buy a car, it's not something that you buy every It's kind of like an appliance. You buy something, you run it in most cases for a couple of years. So that's why we were seeing electric vehicles kind of leveling off a bit before, and then now this hit where some people are saying, no, I don't want to get an EV to be associated with Elon Musk and the moves that he has made politically, not just in the United States, but all across the board too. He's gotten involved in European politics too, and that has turned off some buyers in Europe.
Speaker 3: All right, getting in your business, just like we do every morning with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Thanks so much, Courtney. I'll see you later. All right, take care.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The LAPD is trying to find a suspected kidnapper who got away during a chase in the mid city area of La Police got a report of a kidnapping early this morning in the area of Seventh Street and Western Avenue. Officers spotted a blue Toyota Prius that was described and the driver took off The person then ditched the car after dropping off the kidnap person near Washington and Howser Boulevards. Police have been searching the neighborhood. The La City Council set to vote on a motion calling for an analysis of homelessness spending and the creation of a public database for related programs. If approved, departments would have to report within sixty days and quarterly, also on a comprehensive breakdown of the city's homelessness budget. Los Padrino's Juvenile Hall and Downy's a step closer to closing.
Speaker 10: Los Padrinas was ordered closed in December by the California Bord of State and Community Corrections because there are not enough staff members to operate safely.
Speaker 3: That order was ignored.
Speaker 10: Now a judge is issued a ruling stay in the La County Probation Department is violating the law by continuing to operate. The judge did not order Los Padrinos to immediately close, but is given the department until early May to detail how it will move two hundred and seventy juvenile inmates to safer facilities.
Speaker 3: Deborah mark Koffi News.
Speaker 1: Cochella twenty twenty five is barely in the rearview mirror, and it's already time to look ahead to the next Coachella. Organizers say the twenty twenty six music an Arts festival is going to return to the Empire Polo Club April tenth through twelfth and seventeenth through nineteenth next year. Remember it's two weekends. Advanced ticket sales start next Friday, May second. Hotel packages are also already available. Ticket prices will be announced, organizers say soon.
Speaker 3: We don't know what the.
Speaker 1: Lineup is going to be, and probably won't know until at least October, but you can still get your tickets now. Pope Francis suffered a stroke which led to a coma and his death. The Vatican hasn't announced, actually just announced details of the funeral. It'll be held on Saturday. He'll lie in state in a pine coffin at Saint Peter's Basilica starting tomorrow.
Speaker 3: That was at his request.
Speaker 1: Most popes lie in state on a platform and are buried in interlocking Cyprus lead and oak caskets, but he wanted a more simple casket. Lawmakers and Sacramento are considering a bill that would permanently cap how much your rent can be raised each year. Current law has a ten percent cap on rent increases. That bill expires, though in twenty thirty. The new bill, called the Affordable Rent Act, would lower the maximum increase to five percent per year and doesn't expire. Metro and other transit operators are offering a free rides for Earth Day. Metro's bike share is also going to be free for a thirty minute ride. Earth Day events are being held around the Southland, including an earth Day festival at cal State Domingus Hills. Several earth Day events and cleanups were already held.
Speaker 3: They did it last weekend. Let's say good Morning Now too.
Speaker 1: The host of How to Money on KFI Joel Larsgard Morning.
Speaker 14: Joel Morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I think I finally got a four KTV and now I'm supposed to double it.
Speaker 12: I know, I was shocked.
Speaker 14: I didn't realize that this was This technology had hit already, but apparently eight KTVs are a thing. So yes, four K is this brilliant resolution, the likes of which my childhood self cannot even imagine, you know, watching playing his eight bit Nintendo on a crummy television. And then you had the tube TVs that were better, but like you remember how heavy those things were. I still remember trying to move out of an apartment with one of those things and it was like four hundred pounds.
Speaker 1: Oh, I threw out my back moving when I had a trolley on it. I was moving it and it was it was like a thirty two inch TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It weighed like four hundred pounds and I my back was damaged for like six months.
Speaker 14: Yeah, they weren't even like that large from a screen size, but the heft of those things was insane. And so then now we have these like light TVs that are easy to mount on the wall and they're in you know, the picture on them is incredibly good, and now we're being asked to upgrade again. This is like a new Samsung product that's supposedly gives you eight K programming, although let's say how much of the programming is actually being shot in that higher resolution is another question you should be asking whether you're going to get the biggest bang for your buck out of this TV. But even seeing that basically said, hey, we don't think it makes sense. We don't think these things are worth the money. People should not upgrade to these fancier new TVs. And I tend to agree, not because I know a whole lot about resolution on big screen sizes, but they basically say, hey, the picture quality is pretty similar to like the OLED TVs that are four K. And I think it's one of those things too, where the price tag is going to come down significantly in the coming years. When you look at TV technology, that is one of those mainstays or has been for for many many years, is that prices just keep going down, so don't buy. It's kind of that pioneers get slaughtered sort of thing, where if you buy the expensive eight K TV, well, you might not have the programming that's going to match the resolution, and then on top of that, you spent way too much because if you just waited a couple of years, you're going to get it for a whole lot less.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of coming down, I was in Costco the other day and they had a fifty five inch TV for three three hundred and twenty nine dollars.
Speaker 14: I mean, I believe it and think about like on Black Friday. I don't remember exactly what they came down to, but pretty sure you could get fifty five ers for like one hundred and eighty bucks or something like that. I mean, when the deals hit in November and January, that's typically the best time to buy a TV. The prices are insane and sixty five inches remember how those used to cost so much? Of those are kind of the new fifty five inch. You can get a sixty five inch four K TV for very little money these days if you're shopping sales. So yeah, I'm also partial to just owning fewer TVs and watching less TV in general.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, and what is the price tag on these eight K TV splittings?
Speaker 14: So it depends on the size, but we're talking like three thousand dollars I think for the sixty five inches probably what you're gonna pay. Whereas when you think about the four K equivalent, you're you're talking about a fraction of that.
Speaker 1: And like you said, how many? How many are shooting in eight K? So even if you get the eight K, do you really get the benefit of it unless it's specifically shot in that resolution.
Speaker 14: Right, yep, at some point we'll start to see the movie studios, the television shows being sought in even higher definition, and these TVs might make sense like years down the road, but just not yet.
Speaker 3: All right, So let's talk price locks.
Speaker 1: I know, are you talking about on mortgages or what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 14: So this it's interesting. More companies are saying, especially with all the tariff uncertainty, hey, why don't we do you a solid and give you a guaranteed price lock on our service for a few years. And so this is kind of one of those things that's seen as like an olive branch to consumers to make them feel a little bit better and realize, okay, cool, well I can just the price is the price for the next three years. I don't have to worry about them raising it on me. And I think maybe in some cases, in particular, if you're working with like a local service company, that might give you some peace of mind. But it's interestingly enough, I actually think this is a bad thing in many ways. So this is like Verizon and T Mobile are the ones who kind of launched this thing, saying, hey, for the next three years, we're going to guarantee pricing, join us and just we'll ensure that you don't have any sort of increase in your monthly bill. And that sounds super nice, and you're like, oh man, these benevolent, big companies are trying to do right by me at a time of price uncertainty. But I think, actually, interesting enough, similar to TVs, the price of cell phone service has gone down over the past few years, and so a price lock, actually, while it sounds benevolent, isn't. And probably what it'll do is prevent people from shopping around like they should with some of those NB and O carriers, the mobile virtual network operator carriers like Mint and US Mobile, who are two of the best. If you shop around, you're gonna save a bunch versus going with the biggest companies. And so I think a lot of people are gonna see this price lock and they're gonna say, oh, yeah, inflation tariffs, I should be worried about costs going up, Let me sign up for this, And ultimately it's actually going to cost them more by opting for the price lock.
Speaker 3: Okay, so be careful of price locks.
Speaker 1: And then real quick, we had talked about overdraft fees that were you know, they're like thirty five forty bucks, and the Biden administration said, nope, we're going to cut them to five dollars.
Speaker 3: So what's happening with that now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 14: So, I mean, as as the writing's been on the wall, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is has been gutted, and a lot of the lawsuits that were taking place against some big companies in the United States against some financial companies are kind of going by the wayside. And this is one of those things where hey, overdraft fees, that that proposal will bring them down to five bucks. Across the board, it's gone too And interestingly enough, I don't necessarily think this is a big deal because if you're with the banks that I talked about regularly, there are no overdraft fees with those banks.
Speaker 3: So if you are with Well Fargo, for.
Speaker 14: Instance, thirty five bucks a pop, Chase, they're a little nicer, thirty four bucks a pop. Bank of America, nice, are still ten dollars a pop for those overdraft fees. But if you're with Capital One, Discover ally ciit, the banks I mentioned regularly on How to Money, you're paying zero dollars like they don't charge over draft fees. So this is kind of a question of the open market and the competition in the banking sector. There are a lot of great banks out there who don't charge any overdraft fees at all already. So yeah, I get that some people might be bummed that these overdraft protection rules aren't coming into being, but I also think there are a whole lot of great choices already out there for folks.
Speaker 3: Okay, so shop around.
Speaker 1: So for more great tips on how to money, you can listen to Joel. He's around every Sunday from noon to two on how to Money at right here at CAFI Easy Easy And if you want to follow Joel and get more great tips and tricks throughout the week at how to Money Joel.
Speaker 3: Thanks Joelargeguard, Thanks Amy. All right, take care.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.