Speaker 1: Welcome the Fast Feast Repeat Intermittent Fasting for Life. I'm Jen Stevens, author of the New York Times bestseller Fast Feast.
Speaker 2: Repeat, and I'm Sherry Bullock, longtime intermittent faster and health and wellness advocate. Please keep in mind that this podcast is for educational and motivational purposes only, and is not intended to provide medical or diagnostic advice. Jen and I are not doctors, so make sure to check with your trusted healthcare professionals before making changes, especially when it comes to any medical treatments or medications.
Speaker 1: Whether you're new to intermittent fasting or an experienced intermittent faster, tune in each week to get inspired, to learn, and to have some fun along the way. Hi, everybody, we are so glad you're here today. Welcome to this week's episode of the Fast Feats Repeat Intermittent Fasting for Life Podcast. How are you doing today's.
Speaker 2: Sherry, I'm doing wonderful.
Speaker 1: How are you? I'm great? I finally got in my life Prosanna, Oh did you Yeah? It's been too hot, but then it was not as hotel I got in it. I talked about my house, got struck by lightning. I was like, oh, no, did it strike the so ona? I didn't. I did, unplugg think about that same wall. The wall of the garage is where the lightning struck. So I'm just really lucky. But I got in there and it was hot, but it warmed right up. It was good. I really enjoyed it. I know I'm going to really like it in the winter more than anything.
Speaker 2: You know something, I just questioned the GFCI outlets that yes, wet, they trigger off. I wonder if they work like a surge protector.
Speaker 1: I don't know. That's a good question. I feel like the answer is no. I feel like no either, because you had issues with your lights outside after the lightning strike, and those for sure have the GFCI. Now, I don't know. I don't know if they're like wired in these are wired in lights, Oh they are.
Speaker 2: They're not on a plug.
Speaker 1: Sure, you're thinking about those on the plug that came on. Yeah that yeah, those lights that plug still works. But the outdoor lights that you flip on that are like the the fight those don't work right. No, I was thinking about those patio lights that turned on. What was talking about is it was the wildest thing in the morning. It was really really dark. It was early in the morning, and I have this string of lights that runs along where the gorilla is. There's like a pergola, and the string of lights wraps around and it plugs into a plug on the like a pot, and then it Usually you would turn them on with a remote control. But when the lightning struck, those lights just came on stayed on, just like the lightning turned them on. Did you have a power glitch? I don't know. I bet you did. It was definitely lightning striking because our neighbor behind us that it made their whole house shake. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, we have a lot of problems with power at my house. There's a lot of big old pine trees where I live, so anytime there's a bad storm, they're always falling, and we have power in internet shoes all the time.
Speaker 1: I had no idea.
Speaker 2: Ours was something that serge I have had a light kind of has led lights in it. Okay, some light insada And every time we have a power glitch, it looks like a rave inside my sauna because as led lights turn on and they're like flashing different colors, and I'll come home and my sauna. I'll be like having a dance party and I'll be like, oh, we had a power glitch.
Speaker 1: YEP, I have had an electrician come. He's going to come and fix that and also replace some really hideous light fixtures that came with this health that I've never liked. But he said LED stuff is very sensitive, and that he said you need to go around turn on all your light to make sure they all work, because leave one for a little bit. And so luckily that was the only thing was those outside ones. Yeah, but now the remote control doesn't turn it on her off. It's like it fried. The whatever it was that worked with the remote control no longer works. You have to plug them in. Uh, but I can do that. Yeah, that's no big deal.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say I had talked about Seth, my bonus son, being in the Marines, and he's graduating for boot camp next week. Actually, the time's gone really fast. It's slow and fast right because it's like we don't know what's happening. We can't really talk to them that much except for my letter, but fast in that. I can't believe it's been twelve weeks. But a listener reached out to me and sent me a message one to know when I was gonna be the area that she'd like to grab coffee with me.
Speaker 1: And I love that. I just love that.
Speaker 2: I thought that was so sweet. It's going to be a really hectic week, so I don't know if i'll have time to meet with her or not. And we're bringing Lulu. If I can work it in, I'm definitely going to because I love meeting listeners out in the wild. But I did want to just say one thing. Maybe a month ago, I talked about a lipstain that I use, and I've had so many emails and questions about this lipstain, so I just want to tell everybody. It is called pretty Smart. They have a website, but I just get it a Walmart.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to type this in the show notes right now, Sherry Scheris lipstain is called what pretty smart?
Speaker 2: That's pretty easy? Pretty smart but lip and cheek stain, and you can buy a goal Mart and buy a Walmart. Yep, Okay, I might be ready here.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, like I just mentioned it, and I keep getting emails and private messages on Facebook and Instagram and in the community.
Speaker 1: So she my pretty smart. It's pretty smart. They don't know we exist. Maybe they do now, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Somebody messaged me this weekend and I was sleeping. Maybe I saw the message. I told her I was called think pretty and then she was like, I don't find anything by that name. She's like, would it be called pretty smart? And I'm like, yeah, that's the one. I'm heart God, that's hilarious. Close enough whatever. Don't trust things I say while I'm sleeping. Yeah, I love it. All right, Well, let's celebrate Emily in Florida. Emily wrote, it's my fastiversary today.
Speaker 1: One year.
Speaker 2: I only planned to do the twenty eight days and proved to my sister that it was not going to work.
Speaker 1: But she was right. Hooray Emily's sister.
Speaker 2: This is one time where you can celebrate your sister being right right, she said. I wrote in about a month ago about being stuck, and Jim gave me the advice because I did not want to do adf to do uppish and downish days. I do one hour and six hours. Well, thank you Jin. In the last month leading to my fastniversary, I dropped three pounds and I didn't even do that more than once a week. The other days I just did a four hour window. I want to celebrate that in the last year, I've lost twenty five pounds twenty three and a half inches. My digestion is better, my energy is better, and I don't think about food NonStop. I think I enjoy my food more as well. I didn't have healthy issues, but my one reason besides weight loss was aging.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I'm forty five and I feel like I'm warding off things by doing. If I started at one hundred and ninety five pounds, one year later, I'm at one hundred and seventy pounds, and I have seen the one sixties a few times and my daily weigh ins, so I hope to see it permanently in the next couple of months. And you know what, it was easy. Were there harder days here and there, I guess, but overall this was easy. I'm sure I could have gotten strict lost more weight, but I'm glad I didn't because this is doable and sustainable. I know I will continue to fast and switch things up. I think my plateau had a bit to do with a rigid window, and changing things up was huge for me. Anyone listening who is dabbling, just do it.
Speaker 1: Only.
Speaker 2: The first week was really hard, and after that I truly ate whatever I wanted in my window. Summer was the best time to start. I was so busy during the school year, but things slowed down just enough in summer and my stress was down more. Anyway, thank you for the weekly podcast that kept me locked in and part of the IF community, and I can now proudly say I am an intermittent faster.
Speaker 1: I love that. And so she's just added in one day a week where she has a strict one hour window. She's not counting anything, she's not doing a down day, She's just having a one hour window. And then the next day she's having a six hour window, probably two meals. To think of it as like one meal, two meals, else one meal and an hour, two meals and six hours. I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that as well.
Speaker 1: So now we have a question from a listener. Is from Adrian from Greenfield, Massachusetts. Hi, ladies, I am a huge fan of everything you both do. Do you have any thoughts on dexas scans? Are they useful and are worth it? Have you had one before? Someone who is not a faster was trying to talk me into getting a before and after since I've been making lifestyle changes lately, so I was just curious. Thanks again.
Speaker 2: I think it's a great way to measure body composition. It's very accurate as far as amount of muscle mass fat mass on your body. It is X rays. It's a very low dose. In fact, when I looked it up recently, I think it was compared to the radiation you received from eating a banana. Obviously, it's not something you want to do monthly. If you wanted to do one and then do one in six months and do one your one year, I think you're gonna really see a difference. It's a great way to see your body change. And one of the things there's somebody in our community that that's what she gifted herself a year of She's doing them rather frequently, but she's in enjoying seeing that even when her scale isn't moving, she's seeing a change in her fat mass and she's seeing an upward trend in her muscle mass. So it's been really inspiring for her to keep going even when the scale isn't moving, you know, drastically, and not to mention anytime you're over the age of forty, you're at risk for osteopenia or osteoporosis. So you're going to learn that information too. You're going to learn what your bone density is doing. Yeah, I'm a fan of it. I wish I could say I had one. I had a prescription for one. I was going to get my first one in March, and when I got to the facility to get it done, I found out they don't actually do DEXA scans. I do ct for bone density instead, and so I was kind of actually bummed out that I did not get that information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with everything you said, and I just want to point out one thing. You know, if you want to get a baseline data scan before you start untermitten fasting, that would be great, but you definitely want to give yourself time. You know how we always talk about you don't expect to lose any weight in the first month. Well, the first month you're not fat adapt So if you had one done at day one or day zero before you started, then you had one at day twenty eight, you might even see that you've lost muscle and that works twenty eight days and not lost any fat. Because your body hasn't flipped that switch yet to fat burning, you definitely want to give yourself time. I'm not saying that's what you would definitely see.
Speaker 2: I just that's a great point.
Speaker 1: Since we're not flipping the switch early on, it wouldn't surprise me if somebody saw that baseline great to have, and Sherry suggested six months. I think that's a great amount of time to wait. You have your body time, and then you know you can go have her Often they might recommend that you go, but from the first month, we don't expect to lose any fat at all. Just keep that in mind, all right.
Speaker 2: So we have a question from Heidi from South Africa. And Heidi, you might be the first person to write in from South Africa. I don't remember any questions post from there before, so I'm glad you're listening.
Speaker 1: Hi, ladies.
Speaker 2: You talk about clean fasting, which I also agrees work best, But you made a comment about not having any thing with a food taste that will raise insulin. I'm thinking mostly about toothpaste having a minty flavor, so surely this would make the brain think I'm eating. Then this means my clean fast isn't after I brush my teeth in the morning. Surely your thoughts would be good to hear on this.
Speaker 1: Thank you well, I actually have this addressed both in Delayed on Deny and in Fast Feast Repeat. And I just pulled out my copy of Fast feat Repeat and let me read this passage from Fast Feast Repeat. Is this is about the cephalic phase influence response. By the way that's in your brain, your brain, the taste goes from your tongue to your brain. Your brain perceives what's coming in. So within two minutes of tasting sweetness, the body releases insulin. The amount of insulin peaks at four minutes and returns to baseline levels within eight to ten minutes. Okay, let's apply that to toothbrushing. It's a tiny, tiny blip of your day. I brush my teeth every single morning. I use minty regular toothpaste. It is absolutely fine. Now, you wouldn't want to brush your teeth every ten minutes because think about that, then you'd be like having constantly up and then mat down, up and then mat down. That's also why we don't drink like a diet soda. Like if you had one sip of a diet soda by accident. You know, your insulin would peek at four minutes, then it would come back down within ten. But most people don't have one sip of diet soda and stop. They have a sip, then they do something, They have another sip. People drink a beverage for a long period of time. So we do care about what's happening over a long period of time with our cephalate pays insulin response. But a tiny little blip from brushing your teeth in the morning and then at night not a big deal. Yep. Now it's time for our segment called what's your Why. Most of us have weight loss in mind, so it's fine for that to be a big part of your why, but there's so much more to what intermittent fasting can do for us beyond weight loss. In my book twenty eight day fast start day by day, which is great if you are brand new to intermittent fasting or coming back to it after a break, I really recommend that one. But in that book, I ask you to craft your why a statement before beginning. When your why is deeper than weight loss alone, you're more likely to find long term success and view intermitt infesting as a lifestyle. And also in that book, I have like a bunch of suggestions, like there's a checklist where I have a whole bunch of ideas about what might be part of your why, like not getting diabetes you know as you age, or lots and lots of things like that, being able to move better in lowering inflammation. So the little check off list of things, plus places for you to write your own. So that's in twenty eight day fast start day by day, all.
Speaker 2: Right, this week we have a why from Tracy and Florida. Through having a conversation with my husband this week, my why for continue to live the IF lifestyle became obviously clear. I started intermint fasting in February of twenty twenty four to lose weight, and I quickly fell in love with all of the benefits it offered. Freedom from constantly thinking about food, not having to count anything, no shakes, no pills, no potions to buy, promising miraculous results. I did the rip the band aid off approach and quickly adapted to a nineteen to five schedule. A year later, in March of twenty twenty five, I had reached a weight I never thought I would see again, and I had people telling me I was looking gaunt and too thin. My smallest size clothes that I was happy to be in were starting to sag and feel baggy. During that time, I was also doing an elimination diet experiment as part of a health coaching certification course, and I'm sure that contributed to the extra weight loss during January and February. After completing the elimination diet, I did go on to gain about four pounds, back right back where I was before the diet. I am happy with the way my clothes fit, how I feel noticeably less dark spots on my hands and face, and the freedom this lifestyle brings. I have a robust immune system and I have not been sick since twenty twenty. While all that being said, my biggest why to continue intermint fasting is simply I can't afford to get sick. While there are no guarantees and many things are out of our control, I can't afford not to take the best care of myself that I I possibly can. My husband lost his job with health care benefits two years ago and is now self employed, and I am in the process of starting my own business. We simply cannot afford traditional health care at this moment in our lives, and we have a membership and a shared health plan to cover catastrophic events. This membership does offer deeply discounted labbees, so we have yearly lab work done and thankfully we both have great biomarkers and excellent vital signs. I truly believe staying active, eating a nutritious diet, stress management, optimizing sleep, and following an intermittent fasting lifestyle are the best things I can do to stay healthy and out of the doctor's office.
Speaker 1: I love that I feel the exact same way.
Speaker 2: All right, So we have a question from Christy and fort Worth. Christy wrote, I've been clean fasting since twenty nineteen. It was wonderful. I lost fifty pounds. Then I had a stroke. I continued to do IF, but my window got a little longer because they kept wanting me to eat at therapy. I gained back ten pounds but kept it steady. This was five years aga go, and now I've gained twenty pounds back and I have no idea why my window is usually four hours long. I am diabetic and take one jarro that is it. I am five foot two. I would like to weigh one hundred and forty pounds, but the weight keeps piling on and I just really don't know why. I do take supplements in the morning. One has vitamin C, riboflavi and nyasin B six, magnesium, zinc and chromium, a fish oil supplement, and a vitamin K supplement. Should I be taking these in the evening? That is when I take my magnesium supplement. I also am drinking black coffee and plain water. What am I doing wrong?
Speaker 1: I know that's frustrating. You lost fifty pounds and you had the medical issue, and your window got longer, and your window you said, now it is four hours long. I don't really know what you're doing. You said, what am I doing wrong? Quotation marks? You know, saying that you're doing something wrong. It makes it feel like bad, like you're being bad, and I don't want you to think about it that way. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but what you're doing is not leading away as in your gating weight. Now, there is one mistake that I think you're making then that is your supplements, right. I still don't like the phrase doing it wrong. That just feels a very judgy to me. So don't judge yourself is doing something wrong. But instead, your supplements do need to go to your eating window. You know, vitamin C. When you're trying to decide if something belongs in your window or in your fast, say is this for nourishing my body? And if so, that's going to fit into your eating window. Vitamin C, that's fur nourishing your body. You know, fish oil that sounds like food. Now, minerals technically don't break your fast. But again, minerals are not just one hundred percent the mineral. Like if you're taking a zinc supplement, it's coming with some other stuff in the capsule and the filler. You know, just one zinc supplement with a tiny bit of filler might not be a problem. But if you had a magnesium and a zinc and a chromium and a whatever, and now you're adding like five different supplements, all with capsules and fillers, that might make more of a difference. That being said, I would be really really surprised if supplements in the morning are causing you to gain weight. With a daily four hour window, you know, yes, I would move that supplement regimen to your eating window. But I'm not sure why you're gaining weight, but it sounds like something is definitely going on in your body. Now. You said that you were going through therapy. I guess physical therapy and your window got longer. And you also have the variable of manjarro for diabetes and generally that's associated with weight loss. Am I right, Sherrid, like, aren't people using that?
Speaker 2: Yes? But here's my concern.
Speaker 1: Oh good, because I can't puzzle this one through.
Speaker 2: You know, it can't affect your appetite. And I'm wondering if over the years, with your manjarro and keeping a four hour, very consistent window, if you have potentially been undernourishing, you are experiencing some metabolic slow down.
Speaker 1: Ah. And then she was asked to eat more for her window because she was doing therapy. She gained back the twenty pounds.
Speaker 2: Okay, I really think that it would be worth shifting to an ADF protocol for the metabolic boost. Really really concentrating on a full twelve hour up day, eating three meals over the course of the day, and then on the down day either completely clean fast through the day or stick with the five hundred calorie downed a meal in one sitting. I really just think that time locked in in a short window, coupled with a drug that reduces appetite, even though it wasn't intentional, I think you might have had some metabolic slow down from that.
Speaker 1: That's been There are two of us on this podcast. I was like, I don't I don't know what to save it. Yeah, somebody just drove by on a motorbike out of him. I could hear that or not baby on his motorbike out there. All right, Well, I hope that that helps Christy. When Sherry said that, that just instantly clicked. Yes, if you're taking something that is reducing your appetite and you've been taking it for a while, especially, you may have really just layed your metabolism by eating in a tiny little window with a small appetite.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and if ADYF just really isn't for you, if you're not ready to leap to that, if you think back to Emily and our celebration, she just started adding some downish and up a stage. So you could try that to start with and do a very short one meal one hour or less window and next day do a six hour longer two full meal window all.
Speaker 1: Right stalled in Maryland. I have had great success, but need help with a multi month stall. My journey started in November of twenty twenty three when an A one C of thirteen point six put me in the hospital and literally almost killed me. At the time, I weighed four hundred and fifty pounds. I had very high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, anxiety, depression, et cetera. After ten days of an inpatient's day, I was discharged and started on a GLP one by my primary cure physician. I had already been doing intermittent fasting, but lifelong and generational obesity and generational eating disorders were winning out over my success with intermittent fasting. Today, I'm fifty three years old, post menopause and off all medications except for the GLP one, no other current diagnoses except for the type two diabetes. My A one C is now normal. That is fantastic. That is, my height is five to nine. My weight has been stuck for months now around two hundred and thirty pounds. I love intermittent fasting and I enjoy biking and swimming. I'm a rule follower. Please help me with a plan to at least get to what I think is a reasonable goal of one hundred and ninety nine pounds. My knees and damaged joints would appreciate losing thirty more pounds, especially knowing on the NEEE replacement surgery eventually. I don't think my goal is an unrealistic goal despite my major success so far, and I think that thirty pounds is at least worth going for. I appreciate your input. Thank you well.
Speaker 2: First of all, congratulations on two hundred and twenty pounds loss. That's okay, credible, that is incredible, And you have done this in less than two years. For one, maybe your body just needs to hang out here for a little bit, and we see this happen. Sometimes people just keep doing what they're doing and eventually their bodies are like, okay, all is well, and they go on and continue to lose some more weight. Or it's possible that your body has adapted to what you're doing, or I just had a discussion with somebody in the community about this. They had a significant amount of weight to lose, and they lost a significant amount of weight with long eating windows, but as their body got smaller, they did not need that much intake in their eating window anymore, and they had never adjusted it. If you are one that has having like a sixteen eight window, I would suggest shorten your window and going to a nineteen five. Are currently on a nineteen five and you're stuck and you really want to get the scale moving, I would again kind of like the last person you've been on this GLP one. We do know that it can impact the amount of food you eat. It can impact your muscle mass, so you may really want to switch and do like an ADF protocol or just start throwing in some down days where it works out best for your schedule. Again having a complete update, Another thing I noticed is like you're doing a lot of biking and swimming, and I think that's great, and I know that you're working on things that accommodate your joint pain, but I would really encourage you to do some strength training. If you don't know how to do that without pain, it's really really worth making an investment into a private trainer for a few sessions of nothing else to coach you through proper lifting techniques, and as you gain muscle mass, it helps stabilize your joints so that you have less joint pain, and it'll also set you up for a much easier recovery from your knee replacement surgery stroke longer you are, So that's something to think about as well.
Speaker 1: I predict we're going to start seeing more and more questions come in from people who have been using jolp ones and or maybe they're still using them for diabetes. Let's think about one of the mechanisms that is important and why people lose weight with these drugs. It has to do with you know, it really affects your appetite and your society, and you can only eat small amounts of food. When we think back, I wrote about this and the introduction of fast feast repeat. I talked about the Minnesota Starvation experiment, and I talked about the Biggest Loser Study, and both of those were examples where people really restricted their calorie intake lost a lot of weight, and along with that came metabolic slow down. So we have known for decades that when you eat a very low number of calories, you're going to lose weight. But then eventually your body is going to slow your metabolic rate, and it's because your body wants to keep you alive. If you were really in a famine and food was not available, your body doesn't want you to starve to death, and so you slows your metabolic rate to protect you. Now, if zero food was coming in it really was a total famine, Eventually you would keep losing weight. Your body would not be able to keep you alive if you never ate again. Obviously that's not what we want to do. We eat every day, or if we're doing ADF every other day. But the point is with these diets that are very very low calorie, even if you're doing intermittent fasting with a GLP one and you're eating with at a window, but you're still eating very very little. Even with the metabolic protection that fasting brings us, your body is still going to get those signals that not a lot is coming in. Let's slow down the metabolic rate, and then that can lead to that plateau. Anybody who's been using these drugs, if you're still using them for diabetes and you're on a plateau, think about has my metabolic rate slowed? Probably yes, ADF is a great strategy. Now on the flip side, if you were on them for just weight loss only, or you're on them for diabetes, and now you don't have diabetes anymore and you're better, and you go off of them for whatever reason, you're going to need to probably deal with the slow metabolism and you don't have the drugs that are helping you to have your appetite. And so now the drugs are gone, you may have really strong rebound appetite or your body is like, oh, thank god, we thought you were starving. Eat a lot. Now eat a lot, Eat a lot, eat a lot, and you feel like you just can't even stand the appetite. That's also when ADF can be helpful and.
Speaker 2: Let me pop in there too, with the appetite that returns with vigor after getting off g LP. Ones I saw something several weeks ago now where they talked about the fact that this is a peptide you're putting in your body that your body naturally produces, and so when you put in this exogenous peptide into your body, your body no longer has a reason to produce its own supply of it. It's sort of like when you take melatonin every night at bedtime, your body turns off producing its own melatonin. It's the same with this GLP one, which promotes satiety. So not only is your body feeling undernourished and prompting you to eat, you also are no longer producing this peptide in your body that helps you achieve satiety. So that is where you're gonna really have to fight. You know, suddenly you might feel like you're fasting feels harder, or you may not feel as satisfied after your windows or whatever, and that's where you're gonna have to really play around with your food intaking food meal composition, and creating. There's foods that help promote GLP one. Fasting helps promote GLP one, but exercise helps promote GLP one. But then there are also foods like high fiber foods, lean proteins that help promote GLP one. So I would definitely look into those types of foods and try to include those in your diet.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really good point. You want to get it back naturally, which again, and I am zero percent judging anyone who's taking any of these medications for whatever reason, whether it's diabetes or whether it was weight loss, because I know sheary for a fact that if I was still two hundred and ten pounds had been unsuccessful with weight loss for decades. Like before intermittent fasting, the way I was on that roller coaster, I would be on them. I would have gone to my doctor, and probably if I had not lost weight with intermittent fasting, I'd well over to ten by Now.
Speaker 2: I've been dealing with twenty five pounds since COVID and menopause, and I see people around me having great success on it, and there is that part of me who wants that quick fix. Right, thanks, Well, what if I just use them for six months just to try to shake some weight loss, and then I can maintain it? Great, because I've been maintaining those extra twenty five pounds for three years now. But I just know too much about it.
Speaker 1: Right And now, thank God, I'm so glad I do right.
Speaker 2: And while it may serve me now, I'm more worried about how what is going to do for me down the road, and how it's going to negatively impact my body mass and my body composition. And when you come down to it, one of the things that does is it helps you reduce your appetite. But fasting already does that for me, and I achieved satiety in my window, So what benefit am I really going to see? I have to remind myself that because I do get caught up in the gosh. I just want to get back to my size six geens that I was wearing. I don't like being in a size ten. I liked being in a single digit. But it's it's total vanity. I'm very healthy. I just got my metabolic age back from Function Health and I'm fifty two years old, and it teld me my metabolic age is forty five.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, even though I'm not the size I want to be.
Speaker 1: So we get it.
Speaker 2: We all want the answer and we want to get there today.
Speaker 1: And again, like I said, I will never judge anybody because I would be on it. I know for a fact, Thank goodness, right, and I'm in fasting coming along when it did, there was a time when I wished I weighed enough to try out for the Biggest Loser. I was like, I could try to just gain more so I could get on there. Right. It was back in like twenty twelve when everybody was watching it. You know. Yeah, the things we think, well.
Speaker 2: We've all been there. You're not allowed eyes.
Speaker 1: I get it. I understand it. Sherry understands it absolutely well.
Speaker 2: We have a question from in Long Island and wrote, I've been doing IF Clean Fast for three years. I've been in maintenance most of that time. I had previously lost thirty pounds the hard way, and I searched for maintenance that works. That is when I found GIN. I am five foot three and one hundred and twenty seven pounds and I am seventy two years old. I eat from about one to six pm, six days a week, with a random ADF one times a month or so. I go with what works for my schedule. But here's my struggle. I get calf and ankle leg cramps at night while I'm sleeping. They wake me up. I quit alcohol ten months ago, and that's improved things. But now I notice if I have a dessert or refined carbs at dinner, the body processes sugar very much like it processes alcohol, and then I also get those leg cramps. I stay hydrated. I drink plenty of water, and sometimes I drink essential water that has minerals in it. I am on ten milligrams of a stat in which I take in the morning. I don't want to start taking another pill. But if I have to, I will like a magnet or a potassium supplement question mark. Thank you to advance. And I'm curious if anybody else has had this problem.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about leg cramps. The only times I've ever gotten leg or foot cramps, I've been able to figure out through trial and error that only happens for me if I am dehydrated in my eating window. Like, for example, the last time that it happened and I was really really noticeable, it was when I flew to Arizona for a conference. Is a few years ago. Flu to Arizona for a conference, and I was sitting on the airplane and I didn't want to have to go to the bathroom, so I didn't drink anything. I like, did not. I was fasting, but I didn't drink anything. I didn't DRINKNY coffee, I didn't drink any water. I didn't want to go to the bathroom all the way to Arizona. So when I got there, I'm ran into a friend, so like, let's go have some Mexican food. So I opened my window with Mexican food and a margarita. I was still drinking, so I had alcohol, which also you know, is not very hydrating. Then I went and had a massage, and in the middle of that massage, I started getting these crazy foot cramps, like car just like like my feet were like claws. It felt terrible, and I was like, I'm gonna have to terrupt this massage. Can you get me a bottle of water. I have to drink it. So I chugged that bottle of water, and then I was better. And so it only happens for me. Ever, if it's in my eating window and I've eaten and I haven't had enough fluid, And again it doesn't happen very often. If I ever started to fill a twinge of something, I would immediately chug a glass of water. That happens, yes, in my eating window. Well, for me, digestion takes a lot of fluid exactly, so it's right pulling it out of my tiss sheets. Right, So digestion takes a lot of fluid. We don't need as much fluid while we're fasting because our body's not digesting, we're just fasting. But as soon as you eat, your body needs to have fluid in your digestive tracts. I think about like I had not had anything to drink on the plane, and then I had a big Mexican meal. It was heavy, and then I had that margarita, and so my body needed a whole lot more fluid. So it pulled a lot of fluid out of my tissues, and the cramping was insane, and the water fixed it. So I know you said you're drinking a plenty of water and you're staying hydrated, but are you doing that during the fast and then forgetting about having it during your window? When I drink a lot during the fast, it goes right through me. I remember sharing one time somebody asked, they said, when you're fasting, do you have to go to the bathroom more often? And I'm like, what, I don't think. So then I started paying attention to the answer. At one hundred percent. Yes, yeah. When I am fasting, I drink my black coffee, I drink my water. I am in the bathroom a lot. As soon as I open my window, I am absolutely fine. I don't go to the bathroom again. Again, my body's keeping the fluid instead of releasing it. So if you're drinking a lot during the day while you're fasting, that is probably going straight through you and your body is like maintaining balance. This is too much fluid. I'm getting rid of it. It goes right through your system. Then you eat, That's when you need to hydrate some more at that time. So see if that helps.
Speaker 2: I would say I have some other advice too. I am actually bad that he gets really bad leg cramps. And I've been out of my Bioptimizer's magnesium for a couple of weeks. I'm really not good about staying on top of when I'm out my husband. I both take it, and so then I'm like, what you took the last bottle?
Speaker 1: Why did you take all that?
Speaker 2: Right? I just got a shipment in yesterday and I hit it. I put the cheaper magnesium in his.
Speaker 1: Nice nobody tell error.
Speaker 2: If he complains some muscle cramps, I'll share. But right now I'm not complaining of muscle cramps. So when I am low in magnesium, I get killer leg cramps. And like just this weekend, if I so much as like would flex my foot like point my toe, I could feel a leg cramp starting in my leg. And you know, a lot of us just need more minerals than other people. You can take a look at your eating windows. Are you including lots of foods that include magnesium, potassium and them? The essential waters out there, these smart waters and whatever, they do not have enough minerals in them to balance your electrolytes, because if they did, they would have to tell you exactly how many milligrams of magnesium and potassium are in them, and very few of them. It's yeah, grace minerals, and they're usually added for flavor. All they're doing is they are taking all of the natural minerals and stuff out of the water when they purify it, and so it's just them putting it back in them. So you definitely want to make sure you're not overhydrating. But then you mentioned that when you have sugary foods that it's worse, and sugary foods actually disrupts your electrolyte balance and can not only promote inflammation in the body which can trigger muscle cramps, but it can really disrupt and deplete your potassium and magnesium stores. So I would really suggest you know, if you're in the United States, take a look at the.
Speaker 1: Bikes and I know who this is. He's in our community. I was a painter this and the painter.
Speaker 2: I think okay, and I would definitely look at the bioptimizers magnesium breakthrough that Jen and I use in love. I've used it for years. As long as I stay on top of it, I don't have muscle cramps. I also have never had an optical migraine since I went on magnesium. I don't have cardiac arrhythmias anymore since I went on magnesium. So it's really good for you, and it's really deficient in our food system.
Speaker 1: And I wanted to add one more thing. Schery, you probably haven't been looking or listening to the Bioptimizers' ads. I've been doing them for the past few months, and I learned something from reading their ads, you know, because they send you like a proposed like here, put this in there, and then you then you can make make it your own. But they taught me that did you know that all these EMFs, all this Wi FI and all the five G and all these electromagnetic frequencies, yes, that are bombarding us? Now they do something with the calcium channels and deplete your magnesium.
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating. I actually was like, can this be true? And I looked it up and it is true. I mean it is not just making that up energy any kind I look it up. Yeah, I would never make a you know, read an ad unless i'd verify that's really what it's doing about, Like, oh my gosh, so that is depleting our magnesium even more. We have a link for by optimizers in the show notes always we just keep it in there. And also it's on fast Feast repeat dot com because we love bizers and literally we both use it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they change my life. I don't sleep as well without them.
Speaker 1: You may know, we do not talk about supplements all the time, so for us to both like it, it means something. Do you know?
Speaker 2: Throughout the years people will say, I don't know why when I'm deep in my fast I have jaw pain.
Speaker 1: Oh do you know?
Speaker 2: I just recently learned that can be from lack of minerals. It can be an electrolyte. Really, it's magnesium specifically interesting interesting Yeah signs all the time when things aren't just so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I've been taking magnesium for so many years, I don't have that.
Speaker 2: So again, I did want to just say there are things like perferal arterial disease or perferle vascular disease that can contribute to light cramps, and you know you are in your seventies and those are the things that.
Speaker 1: Start to pop up.
Speaker 2: So if you start to take a magnesium supplement and you cut back on your water and you're still having this problem, I would just.
Speaker 1: Cut back on your water during the fast add water during your young window.
Speaker 2: And then one quick this housekeeping question. I've had a couple people write in. Somebody wrote in a couple months ago about this, and I didn't address it because I had no idea what they were talking about. But then somebody else popped in with the same question, like this is from episode maybe forty something that was a long time ago. I don't remember what I said, and I feeling it might have been one of those I have this lip gloss I like type questions are things I just mentioned, But they were asking about a good decaf colbrew that I mentioned. I really don't know what I was talking about. I'm gonna be honest. However, the place that I order my coffee from has cold brew coffee blend and they have a little satchet set. Sorry, they have them for like pictures or cups or whatever. So I went ahead and put a link in show notes for that. They do have a caffeinated and a decaffeinated version, and they use the water method to decaffeinate their coffee. So if you're looking for a good decaf cold brew, take a look at it. It's pretty tasty.
Speaker 1: I like it. It's called frostbite. Awesome. Thank you for that. Do you a satchet?
Speaker 2: Satch it?
Speaker 1: Get yourself thattchet? Every time I see that word almost say satchet.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: All right, before we get to our tweak of the week, I want to take a minute to talk about my books. You know, I will always be a teacher. And by the way, shore yesterday I was talking to somebody from a bank on the phone and he was like, yeah, I did intermitten fasting and said then we had this whole conversation about fast and where I like taught them a lot about it. I love that. Can't help myself. He was not fast and clean. He was having creatine and flavored watery stuff and he's like, I have a really hard time. I'm hungry, and I'm like, well, here, let me tell you why. Right. So then we talked all about the sofality based insult responds, I told about you know, the creatine all anyway, I love to have a lot of resources for you, like any good teacher, no matter where you are in your Internet and fasting journey. Not everybody needs the same resources.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: There's Delayed on Deny, which is the first book that I wrote, and I updated it in twenty twenty four. The updated second edition is available in paperback and hardbag only on Amazon. And that's a quick read, and that's really all many people need. Just Delayed on Tonight. You read it, you start go now. You might need a little bit more. You might need to go a little farther if you want to dig into the concepts from Delayed on Tonight, either on your own or in a book study with a friend or a group of friends. I have a book study companion work book called Delay Don't Deny Digging Deeper. It's like a workbook and a half by eleven is that what the dimensions are? And you write in it. It looks very teachery. And I love when people tell me that they're working through it with a group, or even when someone's doing it by themselves. You know, because we know that reading a book is one thing, but applying it is another. And so if you take the time after each chapter to pause and reflect and apply what you've learned, it's going to stick better. That's the school teacher in me coming out. And if you're looking for a way to keep track of things you like a lot of times people who use twenty eight day Fast Start day by day for their first twenty eight days, they miss that journaling format where they're reflecting on how every day went. And some people have been known to buy multiple copies of twenty eight day Fast Start day by day and just keep working through it. You don't have to do that. Get the delay, don't deny Life Journal. It's designed to last you six months, and it's a great place to keep track of what you're doing, what's working, your overall progress. It's got a place to track your daily faster eating window, daily weights with weekly averaging, goal setting, non scale of victories. It's got a food an exercise journal, that daily reflection part that I talked about and more and so delayed on tonight digging Deeper in the Life Journal or available only on Amazon. So now it's time for our tweak of the week. You know I always say, tweak it till it's easy. But this is the part that's really important, y'all. The tweak that works for me might not be the one that works for you. And that is why it is super helpful to hear how other intermittent fasters are making intermittent fasting work for them. This is from Leah in Florida. Her tweak is choose one change per month to master eating more veggies one month, drinking water instead of soda during your window, another month, adding healthy fats, the next month, little to no ultra processed foods. Another month. That is what I did. It took me longer than a month. I gave myself space and grace to grow into that particular change.
Speaker 2: That's a great suggestion, it really is. We try to out you too much at one time. Yeah, it's overwhelming, and then if we fail at one thing, we just throw it all in the trash.
Speaker 1: You know, we've been through a period of time that Keto started. You know, the whole idea is healthy fats, and I've definitely talked about this before on podcast episodes, but it kind of gave us the idea that fat is a free food. Keto and Keto if you're having trouble, they just say add more fat, add more fat, add more fat, and fat is not a free food. And so when you're saying the wording adding healthy fats, if instead you think of it as substituting poor quality fats with with higher quality fats, that is one hundred percent important switch that everyone should make instead of having the lower quality fats add in healthy fats swapping, we're swapping swapping healthy fats for unhealthy fats. Like for example, there are restaurants who are stopping using their seed oil frying and going to beef tallow frying instead, with the whole idea being the concept being that many people consider the beef tallow to be a healthier fat than the seed oils that they were using, So we're swapping less good fat for a better fat. However, I think most of us need to add fat just to be adding it. Absolutely not unless you've been following, like literally a low fat diet where you've been restricting fat for a long long time and now you're ready to add back in some healthy fats. And we do need some fats in our diet. But if you're eating foods that are satisfying and delicious, and the fats that you use are already healthy fat. Do not add in more healthy fats just because you think you need to. We do not need more fat. Most people are probably eating too much. The fat we eat really is easy for our body to store. Like for me, it's cheese and cream and butter. I don't need to add more of those in, even if they're good fats. Do you want to add anything to that, Sherry.
Speaker 2: Nope, I think you nailed it. I was actually thinking of that exact same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just things get a health halo. Talking about this earlier today.
Speaker 2: It's just because nuts are healthy doesn't mean that eating a couple of nuts to open and close your window doesn't mean that's healthy. Right, And I do see a lot of people I feel like, falling into this trap. I watch like what people share that they open their windows with. And I don't really say anything about the way people eat unless they're coming to me for troubleshooting advice. Right, But I do notice, and I do notice the people who they're not eating a Kido style diet, they're not eating a low fat diet, but then they're opening their windows with nuts and cheese and veggies with ranch dip, And I think to myself, that's a lot of fat to open your window with and you haven't even had your main meal yet. So if you're stuck and you're one of those that likes to eat cheese and nuts and a whole avocado a day, heavy cream, that's my weakness. Yeah, they really give it a month of cutting out of those extra unnecessary fats and see what happens to your weight loss, because I suspect you'll see a shift.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the minute it really got into my mind that people were really confused about this was years ago when we saw the Facebook groups. That's how long ago it was. But I can remember some episode that I did with somebody on intermitt and Fasting Stories. I said, if I'm get to the high end of my maintenance range, I just cut back on butter and cream a little bit. And somebody said it was in the Facebook groups. That doesn't make any sense because fat can't make you gain fat. I'm like, oh my gosh, is that what people think now? And yes, that is what. Yeah, that kind of has gotten out there that and now it's like protein, you know, you can eat as much protein as you want. You can eat as much fat as you want and it doesn't do anything in your body if we are over consuming anything. You know, most people, if you said what's bad fats, protein or carbs, everyone would say carbs are bad. Protein and fats are good. Well except for the bad fats. We got the good fats as long as you're eating the good fats and the good protein, and carbs are bad and I would say none of them are bad. None of them are good. You know, we need protein, fats, and carbs to be nourished, well satisfied. We want to eat real ones.
Speaker 2: It's about the right balance for your body.
Speaker 1: And we don't want to over consume anything. Eating too many carbs not great. Eating too much protein actually not great, Eating too much fat not great. We want to eat the right amount of everything. So there's my TED Talks. Thank you for coming well real.
Speaker 2: Quick, before I move on to our motivational segment. To close, there's a newsletter I get. It's from Science Daily, and had a notification that I had a new research study finding and what they found. We always talk about menopause and the negatives that go with it, but here's a positive. Okay, They tracked over five hundred women aged thirty five to fifty five, and what they learned is that during the menopause progression and after anger outbursts and feeling of hostility diminished, and as you get older it diminishes. The only form of anger that remains steady is suppressed anger.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean that.
Speaker 2: Makes so much sense because suppressed feelings they just tend to grow, they disfester in there. So there's your motivation to be better about talking things out and getting hurt out there and don't let them sit inside of you infester as you ate.
Speaker 1: And also aren't we willing to put up with a little bit less? Well? I feel after menopause to putting up with as much as I used to.
Speaker 2: I feel like what you become more liberated?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like you know what this is to I'm on the downwards.
Speaker 2: You go through this period where you've done everything that everybody expects you to do as a woman, right, and then your kids are raised and you've gotten to a point in your career where you're happy and satisfied and you're no longer chasing that mouse anymore, and then you're just like more free to be you. You're just gonna say the things you need to say and move on.
Speaker 1: And can I tell you something that you might have seen this on Facebook, But if seventy five is the average lifespan, and I don't know, that's just the number they use in this graphic, then middle age is not your fifties, it's thirty seven. Oh my gosh, because right now, if you ask me, I would say, yes, I'm middle aged, I'm fifty six. No, the middle of seventy five is at forty seven. You're right, I'm not. That like freaked me out and it made me laugh. But also we're aging well shery.
Speaker 2: Well, I saw me the other day that talked about you know how the Wonder Year's TV show that I saw that dude say yeah, and it was like it came out in the eighties. It took place in like nineteen sixty seven, like twenty five years earlier or something. And they said the equivalent of that today would be a TV show that was made in the early two thousands.
Speaker 3: Which is crazy because that feels like right now, like right, oh, all right, Well, this week we have a message and a quote from Jane.
Speaker 2: This is something she struggles with, but said she works on each month, and the message is self care is not an occasional indulgence. Rather, it is a discipline, an intentional choice to care for your future self. People who possess discipline have a better sense of well being and a greater sense of control over their life because they are not ruled by impulses. Taking full and complete responsibility for your well being requires discipline. Discipline is a magnificent word that bequeaths freedom to the beholder. Focus on the beauty that is the practice of discipline. Self discipline equals self care. And the quote is discipline is built by consistently performing small acts of courage. And that is from Robin Sharma.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I mean that is just so true. It is an intentional choice to care for your future self. Every time we make a choice, like we don't pulsively open our window early just because oh that no, not the breakroom looks nice. We're using discipline and we're making an intentional choice to care for your future selves. Powerful. Yep, thanks so much for listening today. We would love to have you join us in the Delayed on Tonight community where you can interact with both me and Sherry plus the most supportive bunch of intermittent fasters you'll find anywhere. Go to Jenstevens dot com slash community to join us.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to subscribe to this podcast to your favorite podcast app, and if you haven't already, please leave us a five star review that helps new listeners find the show, and we really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: We are a community driven podcast, so to submit your success stories, your questions, your favorite tweak it till It's Easy, moments, or anything else you want us to share on the podcast, go to fast Feast Repeat dot com slash Submit and then listen each week to see if we share your submission or answer your question Jen.
Speaker 2: Until next week, Thanks for listening,