Speaker 1: This is Later with Lee Matthews the Lee Matthews Podcast more what You Hear Weekday Afternoon's on the Drive.
Speaker 2: He's one of the greatest players in NFL history, and he is coming to town tomorrow. The most successful quarterback in the history of the Washington Redskins. But it all came crashing down upon him with a season and career ending injury. Joe thisman has turned it all around and he's going to help you do the same at the Oklahoma City town hall event tomorrow at the Church of the Servant, Northwest Oklahoma City, and that's on North MacArthur. We will give you some ticket information in just a minute. But I'm glad to have Joe thisman on high. Hi.
Speaker 3: Lee, thank you so much for having me. It's great to be out here in Okasey. Just a beautiful day.
Speaker 2: Beautiful day to do that. What are some of the things you're going to be touching on in your lecture at the at the town hall event.
Speaker 3: Well, I wrote a book called How to Be a Champion every Day, available Amazon and other places, and it's sort of a I talk about the relationship between the world of sports, the world of business, and our own lives and how they all parallel one another, and you know, talking about goals and how important attitude is and relationships which you know in the world of businesses customer service, and you know, working together as a part of a team, whether you're a family, unit of business and sports team, it doesn't matter. And then you know, what are the things that get us motivated in life? You know what we're all different and how do we define success as individuals? And I'll tell some stories. I'll talk about my record setting punning performance of one yard and lots of just lots of stories about the NFL, I'm sure, and going to open the floor to questions. I'm sure people have some questions about what's going on in the NFL and in college football. So looking forward to a really, really fun eleven o'clock tomorrow.
Speaker 2: NFL's most Valuable Player inducted into the College hot Football Hall of Fame twice, named the Pro Bowls Most Valuable Player, Joe Theismann in Oklahoma at the town Hall events. If you want to look into getting tickets OKC Townhall dot org four or five two O two four two six to lunch is included. I might add when after your after you realize that your football career was over, what was what was the first thing and what was the first place you turned?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's funny. I went back to football Lee because it was it was all I'd known. I'd enjoyed wonderful success there because of the people that I was you know, I was coached by and the people that had a chance to spend time with the players, the coaches and everybody, and you know, I guess I started looking for a new foundation. And so that's really the basis of what I talked about when I do my presentations is you know, you really need it. It's like the great Pyramids of Egypt were not built on their points. I think we all need a foundation to start from. And sometimes when we get off track. So if you go back and take a look at when things were going well or things were going the way you'd like it, what were the reasons why? You know? That's why one of the questions I asked all the time is how do you define success? You know, as a parent, as a partner, as an athlete, as a student. Everybody has a different definition for it. And for me, I went I went back, literally back to the world of sports and said, what's foundationally there can I take and build going forward? You know, I had with the success that I was able to enjoy in the world of football, I sort of became full of myself and I lost some of the principles I think that were important, and one of the most important things is people. And I you know, I thought, you know, I was the reason why we were successful and it was all about me. And then all of a sudd sudden, on that faithful night on November eighteenth, nineteen eighty five, my career ended. And you know, it mattered the type of person I wanted to be more than what I wasn't able to do again. You know, football had a place in my life, but then all of a sudden, it wasn't there anymore. So now where do you go? And so really, for me, I went back to foundationally, back to football.
Speaker 2: It's amazing how a humbling experience can make you reevaluate that. I mean, I've had it happen here in my career of forty two years in this business, and I finally came to the conclusion this business is not me. It's what I do. I am am, not this business. So you know that once I was able to put that in perspective, I was able to kind of separate myself from what I do and the egomaniacal aspects of what I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it happens. And you know, I believe firmly that we were put on this earth to serve people, not to be served, and so often we get caught up thinking as I as I did, Like you know, you go through it too. It's like, you know, we we should be served by this or served by that, and that's not the way it is. And you I find so much more gratification now in my life as I look back when when you're able to do something for someone, you know, there's that instant gratification that, Okay, I accomplished this. But then if you're able to do someone, if you're able to put a smile on somebody's face, if you're able to make somebody feel good, that's a much more warming feeling in my mind.
Speaker 2: NFL's Man of the Year Joe Thaisman, leading a Super Bowl team to a championship. He's also an Emmy Award winning analyst for two decades on ESPN and certainly a big star with the Washington Redskins, Oop and Joe Thaisman, I say Redskins anymore?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's what I was. There's the commanders now And there was a time period when they were the Washington football team. When we were the Washington football team, it sounded like we've belonged in the premier league of soccer. Yeah, we just didn't flow flow for me. And so you know, the command and this is the way I analogize the commanders is you know, when you think of Washington, d C. It's the seat of command of all our military. So that's where that's where they play. And so why not let it be the commanders? And who knows, you know, what holds with the future holds as far as anything else goes, I have no idea. But right now, right now, everybody's excited about the commanders because you're winning. Well, it doesn't if you're calling almost anything you want. As long as you're winning, people are excited about it.
Speaker 2: And I will tell you that you will drive through Oklahoma and find many a high school with a Native American mascot, and they are proud to call themselves the Redskins, or the Cherokees or the war Lords. Or the Tomahawks or whatever it may be. They find no offense in it whatsoever.
Speaker 3: I know it was I think I think some of it had to do with the period of time in society where things were just different, let's put it that way. But you know, I remember when we won the World championship, I received a chiefs headdress as a gift and it was one of the proudest things I'd ever gotten, and so to me, I was very proud to you know, to wear their uniform and represent the Washington Redskins on the football field.
Speaker 2: Go and see Joe thisman, the NFL quarterback of the Washington Redskins. He'll be speaking at the town hall events. It is at the Church of the Servants, lecture and lunch. Go to Okctownhall dot org or four or five two oh two four two six two. I believe the gathering begins at eleven and then lunch and the and the lecture and Joe th Eisman will be answering questions as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, I will. I'm looking forward to seeing everybody, visiting with everyone out here. And you know, with the things that are happening in the collegiate world, they're certainly upside down and a lot of young faces in the NFL, and so you know, we'll tell some stories, have some fun, and hopefully be an enjoyable time for everybody.
Speaker 2: Joe Thaisman, thanks for joining us and we look forward to seeing you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Lee appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews Podcast, and remember to listen to The Drive Live weekday afternoons from five to seven and iHeartMedia presentation