Speaker 1: It is my great pleasure to welcome back as a guest Where podcast once again, top junior middleweight contender in the world, the Virgil Ortiz Junior. Virgil, thank you so much for being on with me today. I really appreciate it. We have a lot of discuss have you been, Yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Do, man, Thanks for having me on. First of all, I've been. I've been really good man. You know, train has been going well. You know, this year has been great for me.
Speaker 3: This is my third fight this year and everything's going good.
Speaker 2: Everything's going as we expected.
Speaker 1: We're going to get into all that, so we'll let the folks know. You have a I would guess actually from the stakes anyway standpoint, maybe even the competition standpoint, the biggest and best and toughest fight on paper anyway of your career, You're going to take on the WBC Interim Junim middleweight title holder Sari Boachik in a really interesting fight in my opinion anyway, You'll fight him on August the tenth. It'll be the Golden Boys main event on his own at one of my all time favorite venues in the in the in boxing in the world, Mandalay Bay. The michelob Ultra Arena. I know it's been a long time. I'm coming for you to get a fight like this, but I got to go back and discuss how it got to this point. It's a great matchup started off, go ahead, not glad, I was gonna say. Originally, your next fight was supposed to be what was a fantastic fight that everybody seemed to be awfully excited about against him Zoo for the WBA interim title at one hundred and fifty four pounds. They were going to put that on the big August third card in Los Angeles, the first ever riadd Seasons card in the United States. A huge card, you know, Terrence Crawford in the main event fighting for the WBA full title against Madromov in the main event, and just a loaded show. But to many people, Virgil, your fight with Zoo was the best fight on paper on that card. And then we know what happened. Zoo had the injury, the cut from the previous fight in March against Fandora. He was ruled out by his doctor and so that fight was off. And then there was a lot of sort of talk, you know, he'll stay on the card, they'll find a different opponent for you that didn't happen. So I want to just hear from you, like sort of like the emotional roller coaster. You're on this great matchup, your opponent's out, Maybe you're gonna stay. Now you're off the card, They're gonna try to get you a new opponent. Now you have a new date. Now you're fighting Boachek for for a different version of the interim title. Was it a little bit of up and down for you over the couple of weeks that was going on.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, it's uh, throughout my career, gone through my ups and downs, and at this point, I'm kind of I'm not really surprised.
Speaker 2: About any of it anymore.
Speaker 3: It's just just how the sport is and uh, things can happen. So I kind of, honestly, I kind of expected it, Like I didn't want to get my hopes too high, because you know, I tend to get.
Speaker 2: Disappointed, you know, Like I was supposed to fight We were in.
Speaker 3: Talk spot to fight Thurman one time. Man, I was super excited about that one, and you know, it didn't end up happening. I don't think I've ever said this before, but those even talks with Manny Pacia at one time.
Speaker 2: When I stuff, I don't know when it was.
Speaker 3: I was the wb A goal and he was the WBA Champions to and so that would talks, very low talks, but you.
Speaker 2: Know that ignited like some kind of hope in me. I was like, oh, this could actually happen, you know. And of course it didn't.
Speaker 3: Happen, obviously, but uh, you know, I think I'm gone through these uh these really highs and after the highest and low because you know it didn't happen, I'm just like, man, you know what, I'm just if it happens, it happens.
Speaker 2: If it doesn't, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna keep on my thing.
Speaker 3: So with this Tims you thing, uh, you know, I was really excited. I was happy that, you know, his excellency. You know, he was like, hey, will like you on the card, and uh what about.
Speaker 2: The Tims you fight? Like shit, helly do the Tims Youth fight.
Speaker 3: But back in in the back of my head, I was just like, something could happen. You know, he just had a horrible cut, and I thought about that exact same you know that you know, that thing that that could potentially prevent the fight from happening, and that's what it ended it up to be. As far as now, we've got a big fight WBC interim with Sergey.
Speaker 2: You know, and uh, it's it's gonna be a good fight. You know, we should spare a lot, so, uh, I know that I know exactly what kind of fight it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll get to that, but you can start by telling me what kind of fight is it gonna be? When you say that, I'm intrigued.
Speaker 3: There's it's gonna be uh, close quarters the whole time range. There's there's gonna be no boxing.
Speaker 1: Well, the way you described your situation, it seems to me that in the years of your career you've grown some wisdom, like you kind of it seems like you are able to more maintain and even keel because of there's so many emotional ups and downs with fights that are made not made, injuries, cancelations, postponements. Do you feel like that any of the stuff that comes your way you can deal with now with you know, whatever it may be when it comes to that type of situation, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm I think I don't want to say I've been through it all. You know, I can't say that, but I think I've been through my fair share. I think I'm mentally prepared for everything at this point.
Speaker 1: What was it like when you thought that, you know, you're off the August third card. There were still conversations going on because I think Golden Boy and Bochek's promoter, Tom Loffler, I think a lot of the fans and media were like, yeah, I mean, okay, I'm not really sure why the Saudis didn't want to include that particular fight, even if maybe it wasn't the same name recognition as at Tim Zoo, where you were sort of in that limbo area where you weren't sure if they were going to make that fight for you or maybe some other fight. You know, you're gonna get your own date. Obviously, Design and Golden Boy work together, so they've been featuring you know, you and other fighters on Golden Boys, so that didn't really seem to be the issue. But were you concerned at all that you would have another longer layoff because of what happened with the postponment or cancelation of the Zoo fight.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, because you know, we did have some options, you know, and you know we will with Seray, which I believe is the hardest option that we could have went with, you know, but I feel like it's the one with the most opportunity, and you.
Speaker 2: Know that's that's one that we chose to to go. And you know, I'm not want to shy away from a heart fight. You know, this is exciting for me. This is why I'm in the sport. You know.
Speaker 3: I want to give the heart I want to give the exciting fights. I want to be a part of them. That's what motivates me to chain, you know.
Speaker 2: And I mean that's it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I just want to I just want to show down the bets because.
Speaker 2: I believe I am.
Speaker 1: So when you go in this, in this fight, and even if you had gone in the fight with Zoo, You're gonna be fighting for an interim world title. It's not a full world title, but it's obviously a little more meaningful than no title. What is your position on sort of and what does it mean to you that it's for an interim title. Some guys are like they love it. Some guys realize it's a stepping stone to a big title. You know, certain guys we've seen in recent times. I just interviewed Boots and it's not that long ago. He he was elevated from interim to full and Walter wait because Crawford moved up and wasn't going to fight him. So what's your take on the interim aspect of these title fights?
Speaker 3: So I am grateful for the opportunity for sure. You know, it's uh, it's it's a belt. It's just because it's the insterim doesn't mean nothing. But what I recognize myself as a world champion, No, because you know, that's just you're the vice president.
Speaker 2: You know, just because you're the vice president, you're not the vice president.
Speaker 1: I've been doing this a long time, man, I have written about interim title fights and interview guys a thousands. I have never heard anybody referred to it as the vice president. That is absolutely perfect. We perfectly said that's that's how it is.
Speaker 3: You're the vice president. You know, like you know, when when people think of the president of the United States, you can.
Speaker 2: You know, corredate that like the world champion. We don't think of.
Speaker 3: Kamala Harris or Joe Biden when it was Obama. You know, that's just not to bring politics into it.
Speaker 2: That's just how you know. So anyways, uh, you know, I don't I don't bring anyone down when.
Speaker 3: I say that.
Speaker 2: Just for me, I just I won't be satisfied. And so I have the actual title.
Speaker 1: Now you mentioned that you and sorry bull check of sparring sessions together. Is it a lot of rounds or a little rounds or like, how how much do you know them from the ring experience with him? And then you know, not a real fight obviously, but just in a sparring session of a lot a lot of rounds with.
Speaker 2: Him, we've we've gone a few rounds.
Speaker 3: He actually not only you know, when I was with Manny Roebliz over there was I sparing him, but he actually got me ready for the mean machine fight.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: He came from South to Riverside when I was still at Roberts and we were sparring there too, So I'm very familiar with him.
Speaker 1: And of course that means he's familiar with you. But you're twenty one and o with twenty one knockouts. He's twenty four and one with twenty three knockouts. Not a lot of distant fights when it comes to you guys. First of all, you know, I know that it's not a full actual fight, but you must feel some power. I guess, if he's got that many knockouts, what kind of punching power does he has? From your recollection, because he does have so many knockouts, you're both obviously punchers.
Speaker 2: I would I wouldn't say that his knockouts come from power. He does have some. It's more consistent. You know, he has a really good conditioning. I would just say it's the pressure. Yeah, I feel like the main.
Speaker 1: Reason now when when you go into the ring you do have it. As I mentioned the perfect knockout record. I wonder when you get to the point where you're twenty one to oher and got twenty one knockouts, is it all in the back of your mind or meaningful to you to continue the knockout shriek?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, sometimes I do think about it before the fight, but when I'm in the fight, I'm just thinking, all right, how.
Speaker 2: Am I going to avoid this?
Speaker 3: How am I going to wear that? How am I going to get to him? You know, And then it just comes into play. And then next thing, you know, if I see an opportunity, I just.
Speaker 1: I just I jump on it, all right. So when you guys were the fight got announced. And then on July eleventh, the day that Golden Boy had arranged for the press conference for you and Boltchak to kick things off. Right before the press conference, Golden Boy announced that you and the company had agreed to a contract extension to keep you with Golden Boy for the next period of time. How did how How did that? I mean it got done I guess kind of quick relative to when the fight was announced to is this something that was being worked on for a while, and just how do you feel about having that sort of stability and that your business situation is handled before this big fight for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: I mean we knew that the previous contract was was coming to a close, and we're just thinking, okay, so like how are we doing this?
Speaker 2: You know, like just talking to Golden Boy, like you know, what's up? And it took some times.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say it took a whole lot of time, not like it took a whole lot of convincing, because you know, we work well with each other. You know, it's just ironing out, you know, the small things. And I mean I'm like I said before, I'm very happy to be here. Goldenway has always treated me in the best way. I'm very happy here, and why would I go anywhere else?
Speaker 1: No, I just wanted to ask, because it's it's, uh, you know, in sports in general, whether it's box or otherwise. Uh, some people like yourself, they don't necessarily think the grounds greener, and they're comfortable with their circumstance. They got themselves a deal they're happy with financially, and whatever else goes along with that. Other guys, like other sports, want to test the market and see what else is out there for them. So I'd always sort of gauge the mentality of the athlete of what they're thinking.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, true. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, here for me, I was very fortunate to you know, found a great promoter and all that stuff, you know, and it's just it really is a blessing to be here.
Speaker 1: I feel like Virgil, it's sort of like the opposite of what we had talked about in a couple previous times when we've done interviews where unfortunately we had to talk about, you know, no fights in twenty twenty three because you had the medical issues and the postponements and the ultimate cancelation of the amount to stanielons fight just a one fight in twenty twenty two. Now fast forward to where you are sitting here today. You're one of the busiest top names in the sport. You got two fights under your belt already in twenty twenty four. You got a third fight that we're talking about here against Bochek coming up on August tenth. How does it feel for you now to finally be like it feels like in a groove, regular fights, irregular activity, you know, fight, take a little time off, training camp, get a fight, get paid, you know, all the things that go along with it.
Speaker 2: It feels really good, man. And I'll tell you what I think. The thing I like the most about it is, uh, the activity is keeping me sharp.
Speaker 3: Like sometimes I would go back to the gym and I'm like, goddamn, Like I'm rusty as hell, Like I don't make these mistakes, you know, But when I go back to the gym, I'm just like, damn, like I feel like I haven't, like I didn't take any time off, and I'm just I'm sharp as ever. Like this, I could give me like two weeks of conditioning and I'll go another tour ground.
Speaker 1: I'm like, like fair to say you don't need as long as a training camp. You don't need like ten weeks if you've already fought and you've been active. Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: That's kind of a hard one.
Speaker 1: I say that because partly part of training camp, you know you're making the weight if you if you fought recently, you know you don't have that much time to go crazy in terms of moving, you know, going up and and and the weight and you're and you're just like you said, you stay sharp, you stay conditioned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as far as as far as that you know, the physical aspect, No, I'm good. And you know even mentally the mental clarity is still there, and uh it is, it's getting better as I'm staying more active.
Speaker 1: So we talked about the activity. So the two fights you had were Frederick Lawson and then you had to fight with Thomas Lormet. So on the good hand, it seems like you're as active as can be relative to the other names in this you know, the top names, and maybe it's bad, maybe it's good. You tell me, do you knocked them out in the first round? I mean, obviously as the old saying goes, you don't get paid for overtime, and it's always good to get a big win and get a knockout, but it is only less than two full rounds. Is that a positive or negative? As you go into this fight?
Speaker 2: So you could you can see it both ways. I see it as a positive pause. The first one.
Speaker 3: We came up a long way off. We needed to see how how if I was still the same or not. You know, I feel pretty rusty physically and mentally. But you know what, we we got a good training campaign, we got some good sparring h and we got that fight out of the way.
Speaker 2: Thomas the Lord man.
Speaker 3: You know this fight, I felt I was starting for myself, kind of getting into that group again. Not quite there, but like you know what, I'm I'm I'm feeling better. This is seeming kind of familiar again.
Speaker 2: And uhh, when.
Speaker 3: We find him, I was expecting to go in my opinion, I thought the fight was gonna end like in four five rounds.
Speaker 2: But I was just.
Speaker 3: When I got him out of there in that first round without trying to, and I saw everything in so motion, I just hitting with that body shot, I was like, okay, Yeah, that's where I'm back. Like that's it, and now that I've started this camp, definitely feel like I haven't left the gym at all. It's I'm I'm the best I've ever been.
Speaker 1: Well on your fight with Thomas Lormey, who I've known for many years and have nothing but love for Thomas Lommy, a great guy. My prediction on that fight was Virgil Ortis in the first round, So I feel like I did a pretty good job on that one.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: So now that you've had the two fights that we mentioned, you got this fight coming up with Bulichak. If everything goes how you hope it goes, and you win this fight, Uh, it's only gonna be August. There's still plenty of time left this year. Are we gonna see Virgil Ortiz in the ring a fourth time in twenty twenty four? Yeah, that was a quick answer. Yeah. So yeah, then the question becomes, I mean, I know you got to fight the fight, and it's uh, you know, uh, you know that's what's right in front of you. But you're weight class. You know, August third, the week before you fight, you're gonna have Crawford Mademov a good chance at Uh, you know, Crawford is crowned the champion. If it's Magemov, he's pulled the humongous upset and he becomes a big name. He's still got Fondora out there, who's gonna come back from his issues probably at the end of the year. Uh, Tim Zuo is gonna be ready to fight at some point. He's you know, just because he can't go in August doesn't mean he can't fight at some point later in the year. There's the IBF champion, not the most well known guy in terms of Martazla, but like, what in your mind is like if you could pick your fight, what would you want to do after this.
Speaker 4: Either Tim Zoo or the winner of Fondora and uh Spence if they if they fight, I'm just yeah, that's I've been here rumors, but.
Speaker 3: I've always wanted to fight Spence in the Cowboy Stadium. And that's and I always say to that one fifty four. Late's not gonna have that one forty seven. I already know one four. I'm telling you, I'm I'm calling it. It's it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: And both of you guys being you know, from the Dallas area that would probably do a big crowd in a in a in a you know a lot of fans that would turn out for that kind of fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, exactly be a huge fight.
Speaker 1: All right. So before I let you go, I got to ask you with Boichak, you know you are familiar with each other.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You both guys have accomplishments and a great and great records and lots of knockouts. Uh, how do you think this fight goes? Are we going to see another classic Virgil Ortiz knockout? Or what?
Speaker 3: You're gonna see a brutal fight. That's so I'm gonna say, I know how he fights, we know how I fight. It's it's uh, it's gonna be a brutal fight.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you this when I just thought of this, when you said it's gonna be a brutal fight, you're fighting in the Mandalay Bay. Uh, the arena at the Mandalai Bay. That's the location of where I think the greatest fight of all time took place. You want to talk about a brutal fight. The first fight between Diego Caralis and who was in with Castilla was in that in that ring. Uh, I don't know if you want to deliver that kind of group brutal fight. But when you when you hear, when you when you see and think about the types of great fights that have been there. You know, your promoter, Oscar Delaya had one of his greatest fights, one of his biggest wins, against Fernando Vargas in that ring. Among other great fights, Marco, Antonio Barrera and Eric Morales fought in that ring. You Manny Paco fought in that ring. What does that make you feel like when you hear the names and the greats that fought there.
Speaker 2: You know, history repeats us off. You know it's it's gonna be a classic, for for sure. It's gonna be one of those fights. You watching one, He's like, damn yeah, this one doesn't be the old.
Speaker 1: I'm excited just hearing you talking about that, Virgil, thank you so much for your time. I wish he's such a good success in that fight, and I look forward to to watching it.
Speaker 2: Of course. Thank you about thanks. V