Speaker 1: Number eight eight eight nine three four seven eight seven four. It is also and I've done this every day this week, so I will do it again just so that people can ignore what I'm telling them and freak out next week. Ross and I are not here next week, full stop. So you know, sorry, but yeah, we're not going to be here next week, which you know we did last year and I think the year before in all the years, but that we'll be back the week after, we think. I don't know. Ross is going to the moon with his family. He's not going to be available. I'm gonna do a little little traveling, little traveling myself.
Speaker 2: I actually use the line in the meeting yesterday. There was so we had like a meeting here and one of the.
Speaker 1: Seas, yeah I had. We had to get We have a new big uber boss who came in to greet us and we did a little get to know you and I.
Speaker 2: Was sitting next to a sales rep and they're like, yeah, what do you need those scripts? And I'm like, you know, close a business Thursday. And he's like, so you're Thanksgiving how I'm like, yeah, it's like, where.
Speaker 1: Are you going?
Speaker 2: I said the moon?
Speaker 1: The moon?
Speaker 2: And he looks at me like what he says, what, I'm gonna be at the moon, so you better get those scripts to me like asap because I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no uh, I don't think we have a studio on the moon. Do we know microphones in the moon? Yeah, no, it's a is that a scientific thing?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no way to check that. How can this sound carry right? Yeah? Yeah, that's a good point, except you know the moon does have gravity, so there's that. Yeah, well you have to be fair. Ross almost got us fired when he walked in the room, So I just want to point that out. We walk in, nobody's met this dude. I shouldn't say nobody. I'm sure some of our local bosses had. Nobody's met the new guy. Ross strolls in wearing his uh, one of his favorite hats. It's a very nice one.
Speaker 2: That's one of my twenty bills hats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's wearing a Bill's hat. A new guy is from Kansas City, and so the first thing the guy says to anyone as part of the meeting is is accus Ross of trolling him.
Speaker 2: He's like, are you really from New York? I'm like, yes, say I'm go Bill's we had a good conversation after the meeting for like fifteen to twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it was just about football. It's nice. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. So that's good. So that's why I'm like, we should be here after Thanksgiving. But like, what if you misread how it went and he's just like, we'll not have Bills fans around here. I mean, I'm just happy. I'm a Vikings fan. All right, So, uh, coming up on the Old Show today, we got some great audio. I'm going to get into that. I don't want to alarm you. I don't want to alarm you. But something else looks like it has happened in the Russia Ukraine thing that some people might be a little concerned about, because remember, up to this point, what did we learn. We learned the Biden administration told Ukraine, Hey, those long range missiles, we got you the ones where we're like, but don't shoot them into Russia interior. Yeah, if you want to do that, that's fine, go ahead, bro, And they did. We also gave them a crap ton apparently of anti personnel minds. So that's you know, those are not horrendous for many times years and decades to come. People still get killed with mines in parts of this world from long time ago, which does speak to the engineering of the device, but also is pretty horrendous. So yeah, we did that, and then yesterday this, and I would say this is mostly confirmed, but not one hundred percent like everyone, even intelligence officials, seem to think it's a it's a certain thing. I'm pointing this out because it's Russia's never used an ICBM in a in a battle. They have a lot of them, right, This is essentially what you're talking about when you're getting into when you know, when you're getting into the old arms race of the sixties, the seventies, eighties, even fifties for that matter. So yeah, yeah, so they went ahead and hold on, let me just let me just go ahead and read this bad boy, which is obviously not a problem at all. Oh where did I put well? Anyway? So yeah, so they are they are saying that this, this missile that came into was fired into the Ukraine. Here we go, Russia's allegedly launched an ICBM. Though it does look like the missile had a conventional warhead. What it looks like is it had a warhead that at a certain altitude, as a lot of these missiles do, then broke into I think six or eight, which I think is part of the pattern, is why they're able to tell what this thing was. And an ICBM is a payload issue obviously, so they wanted to get a lot there, and clearly, clearly if you look at the footage there it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was successful in decimating literally like six blocks of and I don't even know what it says. There were some factories there. I don't know the totality of what they were trying to stray. I'm going to try to pronounce the name. Okay, didn't it props.
Speaker 4: To no.
Speaker 1: D n E prop E t r O vs. Prop tesk. I don't know the prop desk. We'll go with the prop desk. Uh. In fact, OFFICI will say, not only did they have the one capture where you can see the six different parts of the missile blow up in total, they think that there were four missiles, four warheads, four separate ICBMs, so every day just a nice escalation there, which will be the next guy's problem, if you know, if if they haven't decimated one side or the other by then, but you know the idea. You remember when Trump said he'd have this solved in a week, already said he'd have is solved in a week. Am I crazy? Ross? Tell me if I'm crazy, you need to be committed, because if I am, then I guess maybe we go home? Right? Uh, tell me if I'm crazy? Do you think there are people in the power the wholes of powers, you know, really the people actually running the government, let's be honest, not Joe Biden. Do you think there are people who saw what happened in that election realize not only is their their job gone here very shortly, but likely they've done enough sketchy stuff that they could find themselves with the DJ crawling up there behind. Do you think there are people petty enough to go, well, the win I won't give him is to be able to go in and quell this thing. So we're going to escalate it so we can't know completely. Okay, I'm not crazy. Okay, sometimes you just got to say this stuff out loud, not just to yourself, but with other people around, Like, are there people that are so callous that they would do something to win a political argument that would take the lives potentially of so many people.
Speaker 2: I mean, it goes pretty deep. It could go deeper too, because there's lots of people that have speculated for a while that there's a lot of corruption going on in Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Well there is. Well I don't even have to speculate. There is a lot of corruption in Ukraine. That's a fact as we observe it here in the United States. And that is the position of the federal government. I know they want to pretend that it's not right.
Speaker 2: So the longer they can make this thing go on, and if they can escalate it, it's a way of hiding their corruption.
Speaker 1: It's hyped corruption there are you know, it's very strategic. If you've ever seen why where exactly Putin is trying to capture parts of Ukraine. If you put up a map of the disputed areas basically for the purpose of this, and then you put up a map of naturally occurring deposits of natural gas and some oil, they mirror exactly. And if you put up the pipeline through Ukraine, that's in there too. So this is for Putin. This is a monetary thing. He doesn't give a crap about people who consider themselves primarily Russian that live in the Dawn whatever region. If you look at that map, he is strategically targeting that pipeline and all of those deposits, which essentially are like ninety five percent of Ukraine's deposits, and they have a lot of them, which is why you have American oil companies tripping over themselves to do these contracts. Right they have bp Xon exon Mobile. I'm trying to think of who are the other big international play But the point is these big companies, they all have contracts that are currently on hold to extract this stuff. Because Ukraine doesn't even extract it itself per se. They let these big companies come in and do it, and then they just take the money. That's what Putin's going after because he needs the money and that's the easiest money out there for him. Right now. There is there are more natural gas deposits in Ukraine than I think anywhere in Russia is in a single geographic area. Because there's a largely big, old, untapped part of it. That's what he's targeting. So everyone knows what's up. So yeah, it could be the I don't I got made to look stupid and I might lose my job and my freedom, so f all these people attitude, and then there's just pure greed, which as we know, is a great motivator for things like this. But then, but somebody, you know, somebody here had to be like, yeah, no, you want some mind. Sure, yeah, you want to shoot ICBMs yourself into Russia or other long range missile devices, Sure, yeah, go ahead, man, absolutely, But I just wonder if for some people the motivation isn't one of money, promise, power, but rather just ruin over the other dude, because you're petty, and you know what, I don't think I'm crazy and speculating that that could be a motivator, because I have not seen a good argument for saying you should do that that I've read, and I've read several pieces from all over the spectrum. I wanted the New York Times to convince me. I wanted USA Today to convince me. I wanted anybody some of these substack guys who writes these big, long articles, and one most of them can't believe it. And then even the ones like New York Times were cool with it, they don't explain why. So then I wake up and they're they're slinging ICBMs at each other. This seems like the thing that, for decades in this country was our single greatest fear, to the point where school you had to inundate children with videos saying that if you get under your desk, you won't get superpowers or you know, eye in a Hiroshima shadow like and and and then people built bunkers. I wasn't alive long enough. I haven't been alive long enough to truly appreciate it. I mean, we were The Berlin Wall coming down is like an early childhood memory for me. Right, So what you guys were hyped up on, especially in the sixties for some of some of our older listeners, like I can't imagine what that was like. But it went on for decades. It went on for decades, and the thing that we were trying oh wait, hold on now, I got military missile guys trying to correct me here. Well, just to be clear, I'm reporting ICBM because that's what there is. So it's SRBM. So it's a heavy payload, but it's it can't shoot the other side of the world. Oh okay, and they can carry up to ten warheads. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well whatever it was. It looked like there were six six to eight individual you know, explosions when this thing hit. So yeah, okay, but that's still pretty That is an escalation right there, regardless. So you have more acronyms in the military. You guys need to just chill pill man or CP you could, although I think that's another acronym and you shouldn't do that. Six twenty hang on Ross is like, oh, my house tried to blow away.
Speaker 2: It came out of nowhere less night.
Speaker 1: It was like, yeah, Windy Ray mentioned it on the I do remember Ray mentioning.
Speaker 2: This this stuff, yeah, out of nowhere, and they like it would come and go. It's like a mini hurricane. It was super weird. And the entire time I'm thinking about like people living in tents in western North Carolina, right yeah.
Speaker 1: That's why. That's that's why we had the conversation with Ray because he's like snow and wind advisor. I'm like, dear God, you do ever do you ever do a lot of camp in there? Ross?
Speaker 2: I did up.
Speaker 1: Yes, do you ever do you ever had your tent the wind take your try to take your tent? We're just no. Because it was like the middle of the summer.
Speaker 2: It was hot and easy and growth.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, well sometimes it gets winding in the summer too. Like I had a tent I was in we were hunt This was a hunting camp for elk and it's an outfitters tent. So those are the white canvas where you use the actual logs for the support. So it's a pretty significant sized tent. Like there's four guy, there's you know, there's four bunks in there, a cook stove, a dining table, some some random chairs. There's a lot of room in there. And uh, well we got some wind. This was near Crestedbue, Colorado, up in Black Canyon, which is world class. Oh kind of beautiful place. And in the middle of the night, man four dudes trying to keep that tent from making its way literally down where this cliff is and down this hill and there's a cliff and then goes down to the water there and like pick up the cook stove and all of that, and uh, we were just up and it absolutely decimated a bunch of supplies that we had too, and we did not see it. And that's a strong tent. The way that we had that tethered down the video that I'm seeing. The people in Swana Nooah are six Steak Coleman six Steak Coleman tents and stuff they're sleeping in. I mentioned coming up at eight o five. Now, normally we chat with Stephen Kent. Unfortunately he had a he had a thing, he had a conflict, had something come up. So never fear, we decided, so we reach out to If you're on Twitter, you've probably seen her stuff, Cassie Clark, who I think is doing probably one of the best jobs in staying on what's going on in western North Carolina and bringing video and she's made inroads with local officials, so you know, you're getting this straight dope, so to speak, on a lot of this stuff. And yesterday I'm scrolling through Twitter and I see a post she made a talking about how uh they're you know, there's people obviously sleeping intense We've we've, we've, we keep bringing this up and we will keep bringing this up. And there are people in communities eight weeks later with still no access to proper groundwater water that you can you know, get near your mouth, so to speak. And and one of the questions a lot of people ask myself included is do you remember the fields of FEMA trailers after Katrina? And remember it turned into such a problem that even years later, there were still people living in them and they were have and they're like, we need you to move out of the FEMA trailer. These are temporary, you can't and turn into a whole legal fight, and then they were picking on the poor and stuff, and and everyone was absolutely outraged that even that long after, they would dare have the audacity to deny individuals FEMA trailers. And of course it was turned into a left right issue when in reality it's like, no, those temporary trailers. And on the other side, they're like, yeah, but we don't need them right now, so let people live in them. And most normal people were kind of got both sides of that, but also we're like, but everyone else was able to help and get it together, so maybe it's better. And then when they got in there, a bunch of them were absolutely destroyed, and it was like a continuous episode of hoarders going on, right, So I remember and others were like, don't we have those I mean, not the really gross ones, but we have the other ones, right, just literally anything that can provide a certain level of first world accommodation, especially when you're running around telling families that if they don't find themselves in a situation where they meet minimum requirements things like access to hot water. You know, occupancy without access to hot water, I believe is illegal in a hotel setting. I don't know how it works in a setting like this, like if a hotel doesn't have access to hot water. And I did not know this until me and the boys booked us a fun little drum run fishing trip to Hatteras And for those of you've ever fished, when the drummer running there, it's where my private island is just over there that the state tried to climb. Amazing fishing and crazy, like it's a crazy fishing experience because there's on this this peninsula there's like one hundred people wading in the water, and if some dude gets a drum, you reel it in, but then he walked back away and you have to watch because like drum on hooks are going by your feet. Man. But there's a hotel there, which we had, you know, we booked like I think there was eight of us. We had like eight, you know, eight rooms or whatever, and well we showed up like the person iran. It was like, I'm very sorry, I can't check you in. Our our hot water system failed and they and they found us another accommodation. They even bought us dinner, which they didn't have to. I mean, just super nice people. But they're like, we can't. So I don't know how it works. But when you're threatening to take people's kids, and I find out looking at Cassie's post yesterday that there are FEMA trailers just chilling in Hickory with no timeline to get them up there, I could get every one of those trailers hold right now if I asked Russ, do you believe that? Do you think if we asked our audience, who's got a truck two inch ball and maybe a half ton suspension minimum, that we could get those trailers hold up and it would cost FEMA nothing. We could do what you do it in five seconds? Why aren't you tapping me? Well, we'll get them hold up there. That would be no. You tell us where they need to go. And this weekend, even though people are preparing to go be with their families for Thanksgiving, getting that last little bit of work done. People of North Carolina would take the time out of their life, the money out of their own pocket for the fuel in many cases, and haul these wherever you want in western North Carolina. So don't give me this. Oh there's no timeline. We don't know what we're gonna do. That's why we're gonna talk to Cassie. I want to know how many are there and if the gate's locked. Okay, don't steal him. But this is absurd. This is absurd, and it's fixable. It's immediately fixable. I was texting. I was texting with the buddy of mine who lives on the coast. He lives on the coast, like five minutes north of the South Carolina border. That guy would drive up, he said, I'll drive up. He goes, I'll one to Ash County if you want, pointing to literally like as far away as he could possibly be in a second. And that dude has a very professional job. He's a doctor. It's not Campbell. It's another guy, but I met him through Campbell. He I mean, he'll pause his practice for a day to do it. So I want to find out what's up here, and we need to figure out how we get this solved, because, just as Ross pointed out, and you probably experienced everyone in North Carolina experience yesterday that wind. If you think your house is gonna go, now, imagine you're in polypropylene. Those are your walls. And solutions, maybe not solutions for everybody, but solutions for some people, which every little bit helps is a start. Sit there, just hanging out, and to our governor and Lute, how do you not go, why the hell do we have these trailers sitting in one of our cities and we can't get them Hickory, You're halfway there. You can't get them up to people. The absolute absurdity. No comment on the femas stuff. I will never forgive these two. I'm gonna have beef. I've had beef with Roy Cooper over stuff and I'm fine with it being idological. And Josh Stein with his silver spoon and his smirk and his bad attitude and his handshake. Ross, did you see his handshake? Did you see Josh Stein's handshake? Duh, I'm sorry handshakes.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it's probably because the other dude was so strong.
Speaker 1: Did you see that? You see it? Though?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did see it yes.
Speaker 1: You think that. You think the reason that his wrist is turned upward like that, as though he's a king asking for his ring to get I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to give him the benefit of the doubt. And I think the guy's hand he was shaking was probably like an X man or something. It's like a mute and it's super strong, and boom almost broke his wrist.
Speaker 1: Because okay, it's not just because Josh Stein has one of the weakest handshakes I've ever seen in my life. It's not that. Okay, all right, I was I was confused. Ross sent me straight here. So, yeah, we have all those beefs. If you just get those trailers hold and speak up, I'll I won't yell at you for a week. How's that like? I will trade the integrity of my story selection if it means they get help. I'll still do stories, but I won't. Yeah, I'll let the audience do it. How about it, guys, How come on, come al Roy, these are your people, Josh dot these are your people. You guys trade so heavily on your North Carolina heritage, which is great, that's fine, And yet you've chosen to side with the federal government when there's clearly issues here. So that conversation coming up at eight oh five, and it just makes me angry. And it makes me angry because it's so easily that one thing, not the totality of it, but the one thing is so easily solvable. Because when you let governments solve it, they come up with stuff. Did you know do you do? You guys know what's happening in California right now with uh business taxes, business payroll taxes. Oh, if you haven't seen this, it's crazy. And frankly it's important. I know you say, well to California. No, this is important because if this is in fact how this works, North Carolina could have this happen to it, and it would take politicians like Josh Stein to justify and do something like this. Of course you need the legislature too, and he doesn't have that, not yet. But this is terrifying, and I want any of you who work in a small working you don't want any of you. This should offend any of you. People are sending me pictures of the trailers. Now there's also an add there's acres acres of FEMA trailers between Thomasville and Denton. On Highway one oh nine. I could get them all holed this weekend. I know the one lady can't call me anymore because they fired her ass. Yes, and that's good. Somebody actually was held accountable for not knowing how to do their damn job. Okay, So whoever's making a call now text me. I will use this radio platform and every minute of my almost every minute, you know, wet spots and we got to stay in business. But I will use my platform across two of the three major metros in this state. A company signals covering five six million people. I don't even know what the full footprint is of our signals. And I tell you what, I could get every one of those trailers holed this weekend. Let's do it. Let's public partner public private partnership this and you know what I bet if I call our buddy Pete down in Charlotte and our buddy Mark out there in Asheville to the he's more on the receiving end. Mark's the morning guy on the Asheville station. Pete obviously we chat with Friday. There's Middays on BT. I think between the three of us, we can get every one of those things repositioned this weekend, and I think also there'd be businesses stepping up to cover fuel and food and all of that, because this is something that is tangible that people can get behind. Now, if you want to tell me those trailers are not the reason they're not out there is because they're not functional. There's right there, they've been stripped out or something in there. Well, then why aren't there people out there working on them? Because it seems like the shortest route to getting one rather than just building new ones. We'll get into that. But when we return, what's happening in California? Why it's happening, which is an important component. And also we'll find out who was responsible for the murder of Lake and Riley. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, So all that more coming up CaCO Day Radio program. Ross. I think I've already secured forty trucks, and that's probably a light estimate. So what are we doing, people, what are we doing? This is easy, this is an easy win. Let's go ahead, Let's go ahead and get this man. Let me get let me get Jason on here. Jason, what's up?
Speaker 5: Hey? If you're serious about this, I can probably get you about thirty trucks if you give me enough head up.
Speaker 1: If females are for the state government were to actually say we if we give volunteers for this, and we can go ahead and haul them, and they would allow us to do that with stuff we already own. I'm deadly serious, sir. I will spend I will spend whatever it takes in valuable radio time not covering their own scandalous behavior because this is our priority. And yeah, so they won't.
Speaker 5: I'll leave my number with Ross And if you're serious, and I'm off next week and I you have at least definitely one pickup truck round the clock from Monday through Wednesday. If you're serious, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I've got yeah, Jason, I want to be clear, I'm serious. But the hurdle here is not whether we could do I think we could do it, as evidence by your calling all the emails. I'm getting easy. This would be easy, right, But it's the it's the bureau the bureaucratic side of this. So I'm putting it out into the universe that I will personally sit here and and uh and and use this radio time to get the people to get the equipment to do whatever we can do if the bureaucracy side will cooperate. So I want it out there, and if you encounter anyone who has any sway over this, you tell them that the crazy dude on the radio said they'll haul it tomorrow for you.
Speaker 5: All right, Okay, A quick question. So uh Now, I've heard reports that people have brought county houses to those people and they're telling them they're not zoned for that area and they're not letting them bring.
Speaker 1: That again. I've heard a lot of things. That's one of the reasons I want to talk to Cassie today. There was if you you've been were you when was the last time you were in Ashville before the storm went through, Sir.
Speaker 5: We were there two weeks before.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, on the right, on the other side of the river, we're going over to East Asheville. They have that there's that whole neighborhood that's tiny houses right there. I guess that was absolutely devastated. So I did see a report where they were replacing those, but I don't know about the zoning in other areas. Some of the thinking that's been done in the upper echelons of emergency response. So I got this email, and this is good. This is really good because I want you to know this is something I considered before just spouting off on the radio, which is not my usual m O. I usually just say stuff and then deal with it. But I've given the a lot of thought when I was looking at this trailer thing. Again. I need to know what's going on there. But somebody wrote and they're absolutely correct, and I'm gonna solve I'm going to solve the problem, uh within ten seconds after and then I'll finish the California story because it's crazy. He said, Well, I agree with you. Let me give you some background. All those trailers will have to be set up on a non flood plane with water sewer and power. This will require flat land with the lease and those other items in place. You're absolutely right, sir, which is why it's already there. All of this already exists, flat land, non flood plane and water sewer and power hookups. Do you know how I know this because I've been camping before in the Pisca National Forest and in other places of North Carolina where the you don't even have to lease it from a private individual. Do you know how many are v hook cup sites currently exist in places like Julian Price. In places as you get down much further south, especially in and around Swannanoa, around the Lake Lower area, these exist. These are RV campsites at National Forest Campsites, campsites on the Blue Ridge Parkway with RV hookups. They have a series of road stuff. How do I know this because while I'm not an RV camper, I know some guys who went out and blew a lot of money, like stupid rock star money on some crazy campers man, And this is what they do. They go, they'll, they'll they'll bank up someplace. And that's not even counting the KOA stuff right when you get into the private campgrounds, where I'm sure you could negotiate something. So these are flat parcels by design, flat parcels by design, which in many cases not look not all campsites have them, but if you go to a campground I think in Ice they have what twenty five seventeen as you get down by Little Switzerland there because I've tent camped in those. How many RV hookups are on Mount Mitchell in that lower lot just before you get up to the top with the restaurant and everything. That whole lower lot is RV stuff too.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: They have a tent, they have a tech camp areas the highest up. Then they have RV's you get a little down there. These have the infrastructure and hookups. These are by design flat parcels of land, because that is what is demanded by RV people. Now does it crimp RV people being able to maybe access some of these right now? Yes, but you're telling me on land you own that is already graded, that has the service that is required here and FEMA trailers are twenty five feet or forty feet. They have some bigger ones that are meant not for living but for rather offices and working, you know, like disaster work stuff. So we're not talking about those. They're forty feet and twenty five feet. Why is that important because forty feet is generally the max length, or it's slightly more, but it's you can usually go forty and a half feet for some reason on these that you can put on these parcels, these RV hookups. You don't believe me. Go on to the there's there's a website. There's tons of them, but just type camp RV camping Pisca National Forest, and you'll get slammed in the face. You go to places like Outdoorsy, which is it's like a hotels dot com for URV stay. You search all this stuff where you can go to the state website where you go to like reserve campsites, like if you're going to Price, if you're going to any of the other places. So I have thought about this, and you're absolutely right, and this is it's so great that we essentially have a solution right here. We've done the work. We did the heavy lift. Go throw a trailer on there. Is it gonna be one minute from the person's former where their residence was? No, probably not. Most people don't live a mile from the campground. But it'll be closed. It'll be held a lot closer in the Greensboro facility, which, by the way, why isn't that filling up with people. I understand the frustration of giving people vouchers for hotels that are sometimes two hours away. I get it, But there with that many people displaced and that that many problems out there, they just may not exist. Plus, FEMA basically has the whole Cherokee casino, so I can't go there.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, I need to hear a logical objection to what's going on, and it may exist. I hold that out, but if not, let us help. Let us help you. Let's do this. And if it means that I can't go camping up at Price this year, because there's still people staying up there and they're on the Lakeside site, which isn't the RV, that's a tent site, so maybe I'd be okay, that's fine because I'm human and I'm like those people don't have a home. I just want to go catch some fish for the weekend. This is easy stuff, Michael, what's up.
Speaker 5: I used to work for FEMA.
Speaker 4: I'm retired Navy guy, and it's not hard to get into a job like FEMA and work your way up when you're military. You know, we're talking federal people. There's good people on FEMA. But I started off as a courier. I did eliminated damage assessments. Katrina was when I really got my feet wet, and I just moved up the totem pole and out in the field. I was fine, but the better I did, the more I did, the more qualifications I got, they moved me into the management position. So I was a housing chief and I did the staging for the FEMA trailers for the mobile homes.
Speaker 1: So so why wouldn't well before you tell us because how it turned out. I'm just curious. Is it sounds so crazy that you would take in exempting an existing level campsite with sewer, water and electrical hookups and propose putting a trailer that fits the dimensions of the plot and doing so in an emergency fashion. Like does that sound that crazy, sir? Because it doesn't sound crazy to me. It sounds like a logical way to take advantage of our resources.
Speaker 4: It's not crazy. That's one of the things I did. I was in construction until I got put out of business by the illegals up in West Jefferson, and so that was one of the things I did. And we would make what they call the FEMA sites. But you could get a location, put a bunch of trailers out there, but the people go out do their inspection. You've got to be able to put in a sewer system. You've got to be able to get the power. You know, it's like the two.
Speaker 1: Main things that's your lot. So it's all there. I'm going campus right already existing, yes.
Speaker 4: And we used to use local contractors. After Katrina it went to maybe six contractors throughout the United States, and the Katrina disaster was when it transitioned because we couldn't figure out, why can't we get these local guys to move these trailers. We had to wait two weeks for people get mobilized, and we were the ones that were doing this, and we didn't even know because we hadn't been informed. Well, we don't use local contractors anymore. I did a tornado down in Florida and the district person running the Joint field office was I was not a fan of his, and I told him, don't go on the news, and it was the exact same thing, Why are we waiting? Why are we waiting? And he said I will get when I'm the news and told them I'll have enough contractors in here halland trailers in two days. We'll get it done. And I told him not to do it. It probably loses his job. Well, government people never lose their job no matter what they do. And sure enough they sent another manager down.
Speaker 1: And swamped them out.
Speaker 4: I wanted to know why he made that comment on TV, and it was because we've gone from local people that can do exactly what you're saying. We went from that, and when I became a contracting officer and they want to move me to DC, that's what.
Speaker 6: I got out.
Speaker 4: I said, I can't stand this. This whole FEMA is a taxpayer rip off. It's not con tuitional. It's a eighty twenty eighty percent of the people are leeches. Twenty percent of the people are people like me that get into it. They want to do good, they want to save the tax dollars, and it ain't happening. They got six contractors that nobody can compete with.
Speaker 1: What absolute lenescy. Meanwhile, I could go down to the little brown jug and Joco and talk twenty people into helping us ault trailers in five minutes, I.
Speaker 4: Mean exactly exactly. And what they will do is these six contractors who are so big. We're talking can you mobilize like a situation like Katrina. You know, we're talking to big ones. Can you mobilize people in forty eight hours? Well they say they can, but they can't. And what they're doing is they're going to call They've got people set up in different regions and they call them and say, get the local contractors together and we're going to start doing this. So see it went from the lower anyhow, that's who they're going to.
Speaker 5: Be making me for a lot of things.
Speaker 4: But it's got to go through the government. And I mean, it's nuts. I couldn't stand it. I said, I'm done. I'm not going to be a part of the problem. I couldn't sleep at night and I was making money hand over fist. And that's why these people don't quit. It's too good of it's a gravy train. And and I mean, in fact, to work for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't have to quit, sir. We can fire them if we had any stones about us, Like we just fired the woman in charge of the Hurricane Matthew stuff here in North Carolina. You know why, because they're still they haven't done stuff a bunch of stuff, right, So how hopeful, how how helpful can you be living in a tent watching that they just had to finally fire this woman in charge of Matthew of Matthew Hurricane Matthew relief.
Speaker 4: Somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm sorry, I'm not paying God bless you for one to do thatand it and then people within FEMA, and I have I have interviewed people with FEMA that I thought were very confident in their jobs. But you're right. Once the man it's and this is like I was talking about yesterday. Once the management attitude and thank you very much for the call, Michael. The management attitude is is one that is wrought with bureaucracy and then they are willing to accept it. I don't know how you live with yourself there. You want me to make a prediction that's running through my mind that I hope is one hundred percent wrong, and people are gonna scream and say that I'm fear mongering. Somebody is going to freeze to death. I'm a kid who grew up in the mountains. Somebody's going to freeze to death. The what you need to winter camp? Have how many of you have winter camped? How many of you have winter camped where? Because you didn't wrap enough blankets around the prope it turned to gel in the canister? Did you know it can do that?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 1: The amount of things that you need to be able to do that, and that's not And also there's things you don't do. There are parts of the day where you're not outside, you don't come in contact with water. You don't drink alcohol in that situation because it gives you a false sense of the internal temperature of your body. And if you drink too much, people freeze to death in tents. And somebody who's living in a tent for eight weeks in Swanna Noah, thinking help will never come, might damn well reach for the bottle. And then what are we gonna say? I shouldn't I should have called somebody? Who who should they have called? I don't have any family, I have friends. I don't have family not here. I mean, I have two sisters and a brother. Other than that, the rest of my family is dead, gone, and neither of those three are anywhere near here. So what about that? Remember that old lady who went back in her house and was the fatality there in Chimney Chimney Rock didn't have anybody, That's what they said. So now you're living in a tent. You're getting a wall of wind that is making homeowners nervous, home occupiers nervous, and you get snow on top of it, and you get wet snows. It's see, it's even gonna be worse. Than snow. It's gonna be wet snow because of where the temperatures are is right now, which is far worse. Is then you get ice pretty quickly. It's just the whole thing is maddening, and the thing in California is maddening because it shows you the inefficiency of stuff. So in the state of California, they took that twenty million dollar loan to show up their unemployment fund, which they squandered through just hey, who wants money, come to the money room. All of that happened, and then they made a conscious decision budgeting to not pay it. So this isn't They didn't have the money, and now the bank's coming for their house, you know what, like normal people deal with. They had the money per se, right, they but they couldn't cut any of their their pets, stuff. So they just didn't pay it. Why because the federal government has recourse. And I learned about this when I saw it. Do you know who chef Andrew Gruel is on Twitter? It's pretty He posts a lot, but he also owns a couple He owns restaurants in California. American Gravy is one of them. Slapfish is the other one, all right, And I think they have a few locations in around La there. So he was doing his payroll and he because you enter it into the state system there for his payroll, and it was two thousand dollars more, and they were trying to what the hell's the two thousand Because when you take loan from the Feds as a state and you don't pay it, the backup their leverage is they then tax your businesses. So every State of California business that pays federal tax saw an increase. His was two thousand dollars in one month. That's twenty four thousand dollars a year for however long it takes to meet this obligation that his business is and others will have to pay because the state borrowed the money, use them as the collateral, and is now forcing them. And oh, by the way, if you try to sell your business and leave, that's an exit tax. The amount of absurdity that we're having to fish through on the show today is crazy. We'll be back, but I want to point out I'm putting this plan together on the fly while I'm doing a radio show. I know it doesn't sound impressive, but it's really I'm like having to read stuff while I'm talking, okay, because I just want to make sure. I'm like, I'm not crazy. If you have trailers, you have trailer spots. I know I'm harping on this, but hear me out. Three hundred and forty is the number of RV campgrounds that currently exist in the state of North Carolina's state owned or so state parks or state owned attractions. Three hundred and forty. Now, they're not all in Western North Carolina, however, the majority are and in western North Carolina. That number translates to once you break it down by region, so not counting the Piedmont, not counting eastern North Carolina. Currently, there are four hundred and eighty one RV sites that include electrical, sewer, and water. Now, some of them may have been impacted for the same reason that people don't have access to water or electricity in some areas of western North Carolina. I yield that this is but those are just state spaces and I did. This didn't dawn on me, but then when I was researching this it did. In addition to four hundred and eighty one camp sites which have the basic necessities of life. They have. We the state of North Carolina has one hundred and fifty one reservable cabins. I forgot about these reservable cabins with sewer, water and electricity, with the exception of but these are not state ones. Some of the cabins that are utilized along the Old app trail up there, So that's not that doesn't count anything in the federal system. So when I talk about like Price, that's a state park. When you look at campgrounds in the Pizga, those are generally federal Blue Ridge Parkway federal, and I am. I can't track down the number of the FED sites, but if there's four hundred and eighty one r V sites plus one hundred and fifty one cabins, you do almost six nred and fifty people or not not just people families, families who are living in a tent right now. Shouldn't be you grab a call here, Alan, what's up?
Speaker 6: Hey, thanks for taking my call. I hope you're doing well your.
Speaker 1: Last collar tent in the mountains, Sir, I'm doing fantastical. And he's gonna tell I'm a retired Yeah, I'm a retired engineer from the North Carolina National Guard.
Speaker 6: I've been on multiple state active duties, sure, And what makes me frustrated is as soon as FEMA shows up and the bureaucracy hits you can't do nothing. For example, we operate chainsaws. You could not operate chainsaws to help the state of South Carolina because we weren't forestry certified to operate a chainsaw. I understand if I'm cutting a tree down beside a house, but if the treams are already on the house, what does that matter? Licensed by the military to use a chainsaw. The other thing is every year we're looking for projects, the state buys the material to do the project. Why can't we repair FEMA trailers.
Speaker 1: Right now? This is what I mean. If I don't know that our old government, I don't know the full state. But to your point, this is you guys are exactly like explain explain to people, because I think people lost it when they were hearing like the staging that was going on down to Brag for like a week before they let those soldiers in. You guys have whole divisions probably not the right word, but there are groups where this is your moo, correct, this is it.
Speaker 6: This is so in the engineers. In the engineers, we have electricians, farmers, we have carpentry, masonry, we have heavy equipment operators, so we can do everything from big a foundation to put a roof on a house. The problem is is when we get well, there's lots of problems. But under previous administrations, we would, like I remember, we would be on call twenty four hours. Hey, a hurricane's coming. Get your go bag ready in case we.
Speaker 4: Get called up.
Speaker 6: You report to the armory within twenty four hours. We were boots on the ground.
Speaker 1: But now my friend's telling me, like, they give them three days of this time around them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they now they sit around, But I mean we would already be staged closer to the area. Like, so the hurricane's going to hit the mountains, So the day before the hurricane hits, a lot of times we would be staged in Hickory with all our equipment and all our guys.
Speaker 4: Ye, and we're ready to go.
Speaker 6: And when when you're first on the ground, you usually work with the local sheriff, local police, or the local fire department, and we would help clear the routes for emergency services. But then as soon as FEMA stepped in it was like, stop what you're doing. We got to get permission, we got to get authorization. And Casey's it around for three or four days doing nothing and.
Speaker 1: You dude, the chainsaw thing blows me away because South Carolina is such a lawless land for everything else, so they didn't think you know how to run.
Speaker 6: Well it wasn't, but it wasn't. But it wasn't South Carolina. That's just it. I mean we went down there, what was it six seven years ago, Yeah, when they had all the flooding, and you know, you're out there trying to you want to operate a chainsaw, and anybody that served in the military will tell you, like, you don't just get licensed on a chainsaw. You get licensed on every type of chainsaw the military has. So if there's a chainsaw and you're not licensed on it, you can't use it. So, you know, I'm like, if I was cutting a tree down free standing beside a house, you know, I'd want to be concerned. I'd want somebody to be licensed and bonded and all that. But if the tree is already down and it's blocking the road and the ambulance seems to get through you to save somebody who cares if your licensed is by the federal government to cut down a truth.
Speaker 1: My eleven year old nephew who can run a chainsaw, just be honest, right, you.
Speaker 6: Know, and you know, yeah, and if you just make one cut and hook a chain up to it and drag the tree off the road, at least then emergency vehicles can get through. But you know, when they put a stop to everything, and then you're sitting there scratching your head like this is why I joined the National Guard, because I get to serve in the military, but I also get to serve my community. When the natural disaster hits and and it's it gets so frustrating because you're like sitting there for three or four days until you get to do anything, and then it's like not even.
Speaker 1: Really doing it, sharpening your blades, just waiting to turn it on. Crazy Alan taking the vehicle. Yeah, hey, I appreciate the call this morning, and you know, thank you too for you know, making that commitments the community, even if people stood in your way, so I can't even imagine.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it, and thank you for all you guys do.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: I love your show and I listened.
Speaker 1: Every day we're blowhearts.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: You're out there running a chain saw when they let you. So that's that's good.
Speaker 6: Sick not anymore. I'm retired back case.
Speaker 1: Oh so now you can't you're not you're not licensed. I understand, all right, Alan appreciate it. Have a good one there. Uh and then somebody else send me this email?
Speaker 2: You here?
Speaker 1: You ready? You just you was your craft some more?
Speaker 6: This?
Speaker 1: Why I'm sorry? Does any you want me to do a story that's not this for just like two minutes so we can all calm down because the next email I'm gonna read you it might put you over the top instead. Why don't we go and real just real quick, and then we'll do the weather in a moment. Let's uh So the the the ghoul who murdered Lake and Riley was sentenced to stay to life in prison, which I hate Like this week, that guy and this that sick woman who cooked her babies in the oven filmed it to spite her boyfriend or husband both got life and not the wood chipper, which is frank. I don't know if I'm licensed to run one near Forrest, but I think that's where they both should go. But how did it happen well, CNN did the analysis.
Speaker 7: It was important to note that all of this vitriol that we're hearing from Republicans and President elect Trump regarding the policies of the Biden administration, it's important to know that President Trump, President elect Trump did force Republicans to essentially tank a bipartisan border security bill that both sides of the aisle said would have essentially addressed border security and immigration issues.
Speaker 1: Here, okay, about nine things, Y're one, the bill that only contained twelve percent of its funding to actually dealing with immigration stuff. The rest was Ukraine, Israel, bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with it. Two, That bill was proposed after Lakenriley was killed, so it would have done nothing, And frankly, there's not a lot of confidence it would have done anything anyway, because the monies were about getting more people to the border and to facilitate essentially the fast tracking of people into the country. Now they were going to It wasn't remain in Mexico. There was going to be some extra barriers there, but it wouldn't do anything with dudes already running around who had committed multiple crimes in multiple states. So the level of dishonesty over there at CNN and others that like MSNBC is probably going away. You realize that right as you know it at least named that NBC wants that carcass off of their payroll. They finally come to the conclusion that it's damaging the NBC News brand. It's very clear with the discussions they're having right now. The irony is they don't recognize that the NBC News brand also damages the NBC News brand. But you know who buys it? Soros is kid who just bought all those radio stations? Am I allowed to bring up Soros?
Speaker 3: So that?
Speaker 1: I mean, they did just buy all those radio stations. They buy that and then just flip it. What happens to the immense salaries that people like Madow and them again? And Morning Joe? Oh Man, what happens to Morning Joe? Maybe that's why he's up in the winter White house kissing butt. The other day anyway, raced Agic from the Weather Channel, why'd you try to blow poor Ross's house down yesterday?
Speaker 8: I huffed and I puffed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you did some huffing and puffing. It's the first thing Ross said to me this morning's like, holy crap, that wind yesterday My house almost blew over, So I need you to not do that again.
Speaker 8: Well that was the almost said arctic front. Not really an Arctic front yet. We're getting into that time of year though, I was the cold front and now the chili temperatures. Just again, do you have a freeze watch actually covering up most of the triangle here for tomorrow morning, So the colder air continues to come in. I mean we could get to the mid fiftiest. Yeah, yeah, they could be. They could be, but the wind's gonna make it feel chillier. The winds haven't picked up yet. We'll have to get the sun to continue to shine on the atmosphere we call mixing. So once we see the winds from the upper levels, it's a it's a physics thing. I don't want to get into it already did, but just it's going to be breezy to windy later, how about that? And it's not going to feel like the fifties tonight near freezing. Thus the freeze watch for some of us that may not have had freezing temperatures yet. Tomorrow is still a gusty breeze in the low fifties. Over the weekend, we get a little mile they're back close to our above sixty degrees for the triangle, probably staying in the fifties for the triad and then near seventy Monday, so we will get warm up. This little cold snap in the mountains are winter weather advisories now, and they do get into the western North Carolina Mountains. Haywood, Yancey Counties, not bunkhom County where Ashville resides.
Speaker 1: So our buddy Mark's doing Okay, give me the haywood. There's a bunch of damage, and he give me the haywood. How cold is it going to be tonight? Because we have people living in tents and we have FEMA trailers sitting right Hickory that nobody will move. So sorry, I'm very Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 8: It's winds maybe twenty to thirty miles per hour snow. Hickory may see a slusher light accumulation, but there could be two to four inches in some of the higher peaks above two or three thousand feet, so really low times on where you are. Heywood, Heywood, Okay, so Heywood, Heywood County. Yeah, there may be a couple of inches of snow accumulating too. So let's see heywo Yancey Madison Counties in that heywood in the winter weather advisory that could be for up to maybe four to seven inches above five thousand feet so and the wind's gusting, so it's gonna feel like winter.
Speaker 1: Take every one of our election officials, dump them in their boxers out in the middle of that crap and just leave them.
Speaker 4: Just that'd be cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's another word that's going for. That's not nices.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: All right, you, I'm sorry to drag you into my cv atre problem. So yeah, problem, all right, we'll talk in an hour. I'll try to be nicer, uh seven eight CaCO Day Radio program, and it's just gonna ramp up because we're gonna chat with h social media may even I don't I don't even know what she calls herself, but anyway, Cassie Clark, who is she's up in this and we're gonna talk about all these things we've been rambling on. But when we come back, I'm gonna read you an email I just got from somebody who's in the the old power business, and it's it's it's gonna raise your blood pressure. So you've been warned. We'll be back. Want one more bite at this apple before we again. We go chat with Cassie Clark, social media influencer and uh a hawk on what's going on in North Carolina's western uh western mountains and uh this FEMA trailer thing. We're gonna we'll get into all of this. And by the way, I probably have one hundred trucks where people would immediately plus I gotta we got a bunch of great listeners that you know, they houl heavy equipment and whatnot. So the trucks they have or are We're not just talking f two fifties here. We're talking the big boys, which is good because it doesn't matter at that point.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: If you got the equipment to go ahead and haul it, then you do it. And the amount of people that would come forward within it will take nothing. And I don't care whether you're in your standard pickup truck. In fact, I was gonna look up the gross weight on one of these things. This coupled with the ability to have access to these campgrounds. I don't know why this isn't at the very least the first thing easy that you do and then do other stuff. So you you know, have your personal truck, have that dually you bought because you work a construction gig. Be a Kenworth pulling logs, a cab over pete with a refront, or a Jimmy holl And hoggs. I don't care, and some of you will get that reference. I don't care. And the people who are sitting intense freezing their ass off side, they don't care either. This is wild. And then I read this and then I just lose my mind more. Uh, all right, be very careful here. A lot of people, a lot of people and understandably don't want their names used because they're surrounded by bureaucrats. You do too, too. Okay, So I got this email. This is from a guy who who works as alignment or works with the linemen, and he says that quote. We went to what we went to restore in western North Carolina. The company, the power company, I'm not sure which one. Set up an entire camp with showers, lodging trailers, food tens, so commas. You know you got commissary, you got stores, you've got cafeteria, you've got the shower facilities, You've got all of this for thousands of linemen in a weekend. The mini city also includes its own fuel for everything, right, so they keep it all. I'm assuming it's massive general I don't know, but it doesn't matter. They've set up a facility so that these linemen can do the really important work that they're doing, which is to spread out. And within a weekend they took a parcel of land and turned it into a thousands of multi thousands of people's city for people who are going to spend really long days working and need to be able just to you know, have five minutes to get some sleep and some food and all of it. And they're able to facilitate that. And you know why, because they're not the government. Because they're not the government, and so they can go ahead and do this. I surprised some bureaucrats not over there, like, oh, we brought the fire marshal, let's check see how many people you have to shut up. It's been me just trying not to lose my crap all morning. So now I'm going to push that responsibility off on our guest, Cassie Clark, you follow on Twitter at Dogwood Blooms, a very good source of what's been happening out in West North Carolina, Western North Carolina, and more specifically, what's not been happening, and that has been the focus this morning. Cassie, how you doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm good.
Speaker 5: How are you well?
Speaker 1: I'm not living in a tent in Swannanoah with two inches of forecasted wet snow.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a good thing, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Unfortunately. Look, I saw your post yesterday and then our discussion this morning. I just wanted to prove a point and I want to talk about these FEMA trailers within one segment of this show. I've got one hundred and fifty people with trucks that can haul these things who will go drive there tomorrow. The need for flat space with sewer, water and electric exists in western North Carolina to the tune of four hundred and fifty one state park places one hundred and fifty cabins, and that's not counting fed campgrounds for urvs which are established and ready. Why what is going on in Hickory and why are those trailers there and not say in Price Park near Blowing Rock? What is going on?
Speaker 3: So I've been on the phone with multiple people who are involved in politics. You can know that I'm not. From what I understand. The problem with getting the trailers into western North Carolina is they will not set those up in floodplains. And after the storm, a great many people who are hurting right now own property where in floodplains.
Speaker 1: Understandable, and that's why when I say, I understand why you don't want to go stick it on a guy's plot of land if it's in a floodplain, although some of it I don't because of what they've now expanded the definition of floodplain. But those campgrounds are not they're specifically not that we don't build those in floodplains. If you go to Price, you'd understand, and I'm sure you've camped over the years and one of our beautiful campgrounds here in North Carolina. They don't build those in flood plains, and so they have and they're flat and they're ready to rock and roll. Has this even been discussed with any of the folks you've been speaking with, because it sounds like a solution, or at least a temporary solution.
Speaker 3: I have not heard that at all. But I think it's important to remember that hillbilly culture is different than anywhere else right. And so you know I've said this before. I'm a part owner of a piece of property in Canton, North Carolina. That piece of property has been in my family for five generations. To me, that piece of land is like my family. I love it dearly. You would not tell me that I cannot live there if I wanted to. You could not convince me of that, right. That's part of my culture. And so a lot of these people who live on these plots of land that have been flooded out, it's land that they've inherited, right, and so they're going to be just as attached to that piece of property as I am to mine. And so there's going to be a huge cultural disconnect between the rules and regulation set by FEMA and local entities and the people who are living on those plots of land.
Speaker 1: And let's talk about those people for a moment. And your family and my family have something in common that most people don't realize happened to families who homesteaded, you know, before the establishment of things like the Pisca National Forest or in my case, the Born National Forest. My family grew up a big chunk of that national forest you all enjoy used to be our property. Okay, and Andy, they went through this reclamation, they took this back, so it created significant trust issues with the descendants of people living there. What in your in your obviously knowed learned over your growing up there and your family being their opinion, what do you how do you think that most western North Carolina, especially legacy property owners like that view anything with the Feds based on that and several other things that have happened over the years. There's no trust there none.
Speaker 3: As far as this trust of the government goes. You're not going to find a place where that's more deeply entrenched than Appalascia. Right. I mean my family what you were talking about with the forest, My family roots are very deeply embedded in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Ask us how they got that, how they get how they get that? Right?
Speaker 1: You remember, you get to go there for free forever right now?
Speaker 3: Oh, you're supposed to, but now there's parking fees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so weird. Which is an actual which is a which is a promise that was made on the record to Cassie's family and others that they would never have to pay to access what used to be theirs that's correct.
Speaker 3: Just like the roads. Nowhere was a promise that we would have a road back to our family burial plots. That's they never completed that. Now there's wild pigs roawning around and they root up our burial spots and they won't allow us to put senses up.
Speaker 1: We had a guy calling in the last hour as a National Guardsman who said that when they went to respond to an emergency in South Carolina a few years ago, they are trained engineers. They're trained to literally run all the chainsaws. The FED stopped him because he wasn't for certified for chainsaw use. This is a guy in uniform whose mos is to run chainsaws. So yeah, it's it's wacky. But here's the thing. We can sit here and we grouse about this all we want. If these folks would just move out of the way, there's a solution for these trailers. It may not be a solution for everyone. But here's what I'm terrified about, Cassie. I've camped in the winter. The amount of preparation and things that you need and how careful you have to be cannot be over. I can't say it enough times. And whether it is things that you just you strictly don't consume alcohol in those situations give you a false sense of warmth. And the amount of people who have killed themselves with propane heaters or other heating elements. I am terrified that somebody in North Carolina is going to die winter camping, whether it's from long range pneumonia that catch their tent on fire, the wind, the damn near Blue House is over. Just going through the triangle yesterday cuts through you. This is we're getting into emergency range. When they're forecasting two inches of snow. People got to be freaking out up there.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sure. I mean, I have talked to several people, and I do want to correct the record on something yesterday in my video, I said that there were tent cities in Swanna. Noah. I've spoken to about four people who have confirmed that those are volunteer tents. So there's not actually people who are living in those particular tents.
Speaker 1: Yea for the one video, but the video that the dude did or the one where it's just kind of where they've spin around, because there's two different videos out there.
Speaker 3: Well, the one that I did yesterday, I said that there are two tent cities in Suanaoa. Those tent cities are actually full of volunteers. Now, does that mean that there aren't people living in tents?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: I actually spoke to someone, a preacher's wife last night who told me several areas where there are still people living in tents. I'm going to try to confirm that. But I also spoke to Sean Hendrix who let me vote that there are people living in RVs that he has actually resupplied who don't have electricity. Sure, so you're still talking about the same thing. You're talking about people not having No.
Speaker 1: No, no, that's one hundred percent there. And yeah, the other video, I think they only identified four tenths rather than tense cities. So I don't know. I'd be curious to hear that though. But you're right, the amount of people without power, that's confirmable because they report this. We got an email earlier from a guy who's alignment said that they constructed a city that literally houses, you know, thousands of people, which are just all the linemen working up. They're complete with cafeteria, lodging, shower facilities, entertainment facilities. It's a city. They built a city in a weekend up there, and they did it because they're a private company, and so I think that's where most people's frustration lies. Also, they're seeing things like this woman who thankfully was relieved of her duties yesterday, who was in charge of the Hurricane Matthew relief, which is we know simply hasn't arrived for many people yet. And so if you're sitting in the mountains watching that and you're thinking when was Matthew? Now, you're extra terrified in your RV without energy or whatever it may be.
Speaker 3: ID said, I celebrated last night when I found out that she had been relieved of her duties. I'm not kidding. I sat down until about three shots and unshine and celebrated because not only do I have roots in western North Carolina, I have roots in eastern North Carolina too, And so you know, no matter where you're at in the state, whatever is going on is impacting me and my family in some way. And that was vile when that came out that there are still people without homes who were impacted by Matthew and Florence.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the hearings, the FEMA hearings, because do we had a second whistleblower or so to speak. And if you guys didn't catch that. So you know the woman right who was fired, and she came on and said, no, this is kind of the atmosphere there at standard operating procedure. The second one came from a contractor, a FEMA contractor who, in a conversation with an elderly disabled veteran in Georgia, told Comer, the chair of the committee, that he recommended to this guy who was wondering where the help is to remove all Trump signage from his property. So there's a couple things that make you go, what the heck's going on here? Not that our governor or soon to be governor care, but do you think at the federal level they accomplish anything with that hearing, because now it just sounds like they're going to have they're going to have an investigation with a blue ribbon panel, and that doesn't put that in one hand, and you know what in the other, And you know which one fills up faster.
Speaker 3: Well, anyone who knows me and knows me well knows that I have zero trust in the government at all. I mean, that's part of my heritage, right, like I have left, right, That's all the same to me. And so did they accomplish anything? Did they ever know? You know, all they did was ask a couple of questions and that's it. FEMA is going to continue to do what they've always done, and we're just going to continue to think money into them and people will continue to wait for years on end, and trailers will sit somewhere and rot like they always have. I mean, whatever changes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me ask you, this is nothing changes. So let me let me ask you what do you think? What do you think? Is there an individual or maybe I don't want you throwing names up. Is there something that is a big hold up that you think is seemingly easy to solve or is it just the totality of the bureaucracy, Like, because I want to get stuff solved, so like this is and most people do. So is there one or two things that if people really put pressure on you think that would make things better there? From what you're observing.
Speaker 3: I think that this is going to take the people raising king honestly, I mean I've seen that. You know, I'm not a political pundit. I talk about culture, right, And this storm came and all of a sudden, my whole direction changed just because I want to deal with this particular topic right, and all of a sudden, I have politicians calling me and in my DMS all the time, like wanting to discuss, to discuss what we can do to make things better. Well, the honest answer to that is is obviously get rid of the red tape. You know, we just found out that trailers aren't being placed on people's property because they're in a floodplane. What kind of sense does that make when this was a storm that only occurs what once every hundred years, once every five hundred years.
Speaker 1: It was more than that, even I think it was even I think it were in the thousands. But to your point, it's taken. Yeah, and they're temporary trailers. They're temporary, right, And I remember they staged an entire city of them directly outside the city of New Orleans, which correct me if I'm wrong. That's in a floodplane, right, because it's under sea level.
Speaker 3: Exactly. So they can do whatever they want, and they have proved it over and over again. So if they can do whatever they want, why can't they actually help the people and make a difference.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you one last topic. This is one that gets batted around and people go, it's fake news, it's not. But I've seen too many videos of this now, so I'm curious what you think people who are fearful that the state will come in and take their kids because they're a they're in essentially not a legal living situation due to no fault of their own. But you know, if they got the kids living in something without power, feasibly, DHS will come in and do some about it. So are people worried or are is there tangible evidence that that is something that could occur even though they're screaming for help. The breaking up of families, what is I'm sure you've gotten many of these videos, forward it to you. What do you think?
Speaker 3: Absolutely so, I'm not the biggest fan of DFS, particularly in western North Carolina. What I will say is that I don't think that they're just going in and taking children really nilly. What's happening is is a lot of these people already have cases against them. Then Helene came, and when Helene came it it caused DSS to have a reason to go in and take those kids. So, yes, there have been instances but those particular instances ended up being where there was already a case open. Could that progress from here? I don't put anything. You know, absolutely I think that it could happen. Will it I don't know. Only time will tell.
Speaker 1: But interesting Engel, actually can I you don't have to name names, have democrat? I know, I know you don't want to drug into this. But unfortunately, as soon as you started talking about it, every leftist weirdo on the internet started to attacking you. I see what's in your post there. So the politicians who are calling you, I want to know, and I hope the answer is yes. Are they on both sides of the aisle? Right? That's the only way this gets done?
Speaker 3: No, they're not. And that really upsets me because, to be quite frank, I'm not a like I said, I'm not a political pundit. I'm not one of these people out here who are bashing one side or the other. I try to be fairly equal. And the way that I treat this way, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, on both of them. That's how they that's the fairest way.
Speaker 3: So right, And so it gives me the feeling that there's only one side who actually cares about what's happening, and that's not a good look for the Democrats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I saw somebody comment they go, well, the only reason the Republicans are doing it is because political reasons. I'm like, do you think that the person with no electricity and they're a trailer that the Hendricks folks have been nice enough for do you think you have a crap why somebody wants to come up there and help them? I don't think they do, right, And.
Speaker 3: Let's not forget that Asphole is a solid blue city, you know, and y'all don't care about then those are people who vote for you, and so for no one at all to have reached out from the Democrat Party is really disappointing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, well, look, I know some of them listen because they steal little snippets and then bark about it on Twitter. So hopefully they heard this part. We'll see, Cassie, I got a role. It's at Dogwood Blooms. Your Twitter handle, Folks should follow you. Lots lots of interesting stuff posted there. We appreciate it this point.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Kasey.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go. Cassie Clark here on the Cacoday Radio program so just a barrage of different topics, all important ones though, and we'll be right back