Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of April fourteenth, we are continuing with Loss Season two, episode seventeen, Lockdown, in which both in the past and in the present, John Locke is indeed down.
Speaker 2: He's down.
Speaker 1: He's down on one knee getting rejected. He's down in the dumps because his dad conned him again from beyond the Gray. He's down because of the big metal wall crashed on his legs. He is just down. Man down, Just keep low, John, just oh my goodness. This is a prime example of an episode that screams, oh shoot, we have more episodes this season, and we have content. What are we gonna do? Hey? Did you know John Locke is an incredible sad sack and Louiser let's go over that again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's revisit both the failed relationship and the bad dad.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Oh and justin you know, uh fur fun will make his current life really bad too, right, although he did get to see a nifty map in the Black.
Speaker 2: Lives that's right.
Speaker 1: On the floor incapacitated. Yes, this was not fun this episode. I could have skipped over this episode. There was, in fact, despite your very certain doubts about the existence of a balloon, there was in fact one. Yes, but yes there was one, but also does not belong to the individual.
Speaker 2: Yes, previously known as Henry Gale, which he turns out, appropriated from some other guy that he married.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what his name is, but I'm not gonna do anyway. Yeah, So that was I mean, the only interesting thing that happened in this episode happened in the last five minutes, and the rest of it was and.
Speaker 2: Mostly off care like yeah, you know, Sayid comes back and he's like, okay, well I've found your grave. That's allegedly your wife. So I am. I checked and it wasn't her.
Speaker 1: Dug it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we didn't see that. I mean, this is.
Speaker 1: Honestly, do you want to see, say you dig up a grave, I probably don't know. I didn't even have a shovel, did he? He just just yeah.
Speaker 2: But also, I mean that's dramatic, like digging it up and realizing it's not who you were told it was.
Speaker 1: Maybe they shot that scene and then and then I'm like, eh, that's kind of gross, kund of disturbing.
Speaker 2: But we've It's not like we haven't seen them come across dead body.
Speaker 1: They have Anna Lucia with them, who is an expert at digging pits. Come on, she could have had that body dug up in no time. Put her to work exactly. That was a missed callback there, you guys, come on, you just see that grave and Aunta Lucia said, hey, let's stick it up. I haven't dug me a pit for a while.
Speaker 2: I have a technique, watch, watch and learn.
Speaker 1: If you know your dudes cross me, you'll be in there, Charlie, I'm looking at you. I don't think she'd tried to throw in the pit. But Charlie could absolutely find himself in a In fact, I'm surprised he hasn't yep oop because you know, he's kind of a loser and things happened to him too. I know that. I don't even if they'll tell us again though, I.
Speaker 2: Don't even know how or why he ended up on this little errand like I don't remember that being discussed.
Speaker 1: His agent said, come on, he needs more screen time, give him something to do. Yeah, not like things were going well for him on the beach.
Speaker 2: No they weren't, that is true.
Speaker 1: Anyway. So this was.
Speaker 2: This was the thing we watched, and then we you know, Locke gets himself stuck under a you know, very heavy door, and so he has to depend on you know, quote Henry quote yes to help him, which you know, it's kind of like you know your kids. Your kids have to rely on you, and they may they may not wish to, they may wish to exert their independence, but then they may find that it doesn't work out so well for them.
Speaker 1: That is very much like being caught in something and then having to tell your kid to do something that is your responsibility, right, and you're like worried the entire time. Are they going to do it? Are they going to do it right? Or are they going to do it the way I would do it? Are they going to be safe? Was this a bad idea? Should I have just my legs off and got done it myself?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: You're always worried. And then when they when they do it right, it's wonderful. And then you know you think, does this mean they don't need me anymore?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: But yes, he had to tell Henry all the details of the computer and the number to put in and all those things that Jack was telling everybody don't tell him those things. But what could he do? You have to be able to do it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I feel like it goes both ways. I mean, it happens where the kid is. You know, you have to rely on the kid, whether it's simply like go get me some more toilet paper because I'm stuck here, or it's the other way around, where the kid is like I'm doing this by myself. And then yes, then they have to like admit defeat.
Speaker 1: Life skills.
Speaker 2: Then we had the poker game as a side side question there.
Speaker 1: Man Sawyer is a smart dude. You should know. You don't play poker with that guy. You're gonna lose. I guess he thinks he's smart. But once you start losing, you need to stop unless you have a real good con that can get you out of it. Go look at the call sheet. See who's at the top of it. Probably you don't want to play both were not you, especially when he is when he is cocky about it. Yeah, so yeah, that was pretty predictable. But I didn't realize Sawyer had taken the medical supplies as well as the UH as well as the guns.
Speaker 2: Well that's how he had the he had the pregnancy test.
Speaker 1: That was the pregnancy test, because I thought that was stuff off of planes. But was that something out of the hatch?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Was it a Dharma Brandon test. It's been there as long as the ranch dressing is.
Speaker 2: So you know how effective that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the Island Walgreens and he's taking a hefty mark up. Yeah. But also Jack, you know, it's like when mom finally t decides to take a day off of herself and do things that make her happy and have a little fun and then everything goes to bleed at home. Yes, Jack picked a pretty bad day to be out of the hatch. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well it also wouldn't have happened if he was in the hatch.
Speaker 1: Right, That's true. It's like one of those movies. It's home alone, and you know, you can't You can't put down that responsibility even for a minute, Jack, not even for a second. Look what happens, all the things that happened. He's never going to leave that place again, and he was even when he's going home, he's gonna walk Kate back to camp. You know. It's just like he really doesn't want to go back in there. Yeah, and uh, I relate still, Yes, maybe maybe just to check in once or twice during the course of the day. But he can't be mad at Locke for letting Henry know everything, because where were you mom? Decide what to do? You're always bossing me around and now I can't even think for myself. Oh well, yeah, don't do that, don't stay away, don't take a day off from your responsibilities. Nope, it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Certainly he does not, But I did. I did enjoy Kate just watching the three the three guys, I mean, not curly. Wasn't princess painting so much?
Speaker 1: But yeah, watching Jack and Sawyer and asking if they want her to bring her She had time, Yes, she did, very fun. But look what happens when you have a little fun. Yeah, all sorts of weird stuff goes down.
Speaker 2: Do you think Locke had time to, you know, memorize what was on that picture that he saw on the back of the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, what what caused that all to happen?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean you would assume that possibly it is the nefarious, not Henry, that made it happen in some way, But there were some shots of him in his cell looking genuinely afraid and freaked out, And I'm like, is that just for us?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Does he know there's a camera there? Why are we seeing this? Because I really don't think he used that freaking out this particular dude. If he is, if he is not who we think he is, but somebody else, right, he would be going, Yes, an opportunity for me, Yes, and oh my gosh, what's happening? That was an odd That was perhaps a poor choice by the editor to put that. Maybe it was just we didn't know yet, so they wanted to confuse us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and was that before or after he bumped his head and got knocked out. I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's the source of his confusion, Yeah, or maybe he just wants to just in case somebody's looking.
Speaker 2: Right, just keep keep up the the facade.
Speaker 1: And SAYID is so sure that Henry is lying that even when he finds the balloon, he digs up a grave to prove him wrong, and that that certainly is a parent From a parenting point of view, we've been there that you just know, you know the kids lying to you. You know it's lying to you. Everything seems to be supporting, but you know you no, and you know they know you know, And you're gonna just kind of keep looking into this until it becomes apparent.
Speaker 2: Right, until you have the real hard evidence that you've been looking for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like you're telling a good story, but no, right, I'm onto you, And most of the time you're proven right. Sometimes you're wrong, But I have never had to actually dig up a grade. Usually the the evidence presents itself in a more palatable way. Usually I just wear them down right to the point where they just go fine, they're trying.
Speaker 2: That with with Henry, but what'sn't working. Also, when you keep letting him out to give him cereal, then you know, you kind of defeat the purpose.
Speaker 1: Right, So if they had staged this whole thing to freak him out so we would tell the truth. But no, what tripped that terrifying thing? And Block's gonna want to trip it again so he can see that man, right, Yeah, or whatever that is. I can't remember honestly what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some kind of diagram or map or something.
Speaker 1: Most I feel like sometimes complex they just throw things, in this case literally at the wall and say we'll figure out what the bleep that is later, which eventually came back to bite them. Yes, by the time they circled back with their explanation, fans had already been spending months, like writing treatises on what it means. And they're like, oh, well, we just were gonna say.
Speaker 2: If they don't want to hear different, somebody.
Speaker 1: Put up, Yeah, oh no, that doesn't mean anything, but wait, there's ten thousand words on what it does. It was a fun time. It really was a fun time. Yeah, Doc Johnsen on UW just coming up with stuff it's delightful. So, I mean, the whole lot Lock flashback thing, I just I mean, you knew as soon as they said his dad was dead that this was another con, and you're just waiting for the I mean, I think we've seen the not really Dead con enough times and enough different shows. I mean even John Ralfio did the not really Dead con. So it's it's yeah, okay, he's gonna catch him up. And then and it Katie Sigal turns down as proposed. Just man, why does she even have to tell him? Why would she not see that name in the paper and say, nope, yeah, yeah, I'm gonna mention that not going there exactly, She too should have understood that just because it says that the paper he's dead.
Speaker 2: Un mean, he's dead right well. And also, like you said, like we've been over this, why would you reopen that that word for any reason, any reason at all, don't do it.
Speaker 1: I mean, we know why Locke would do it, because he's a sad sack loser, but why would she do it? Why would she not say I'm gonna go put this out in the recycling yet. So that was a strategic mistake on her part.
Speaker 2: And look what happened. Girl. You could have been married to this fine specimen and instead, goodness, no you missed out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think probably probably all works out to the better for her, right, But just everything about his story is like a lid door land.
Speaker 2: Landing on your legs that we're working and now I don't know, I'm concerned about what the effect of that door is going to be on his new legs.
Speaker 1: This man been through enough.
Speaker 2: Really, we still haven't in the flashback, got into how his legs got we haven't injured in the first place. So that's still coming for us to look forward to. Yeah, we can't wait.
Speaker 1: Just so so sad. Yeah, this is a super boring episode. We need to move along now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so hopefully we can do that.
Speaker 1: Next week will be maybe we'll get into the Henry back story. Hm hmmm, that would be fine.
Speaker 2: I believe it's a it's a Hurley episode, and a Hurley we don't want. We don't want to see sad and bad things happening to Hurley. We don't.
Speaker 1: But so maybe he's got a black light hidden somewhere that he could bring in Here, Charlie, here, Charlie could easily have a black light.
Speaker 2: On him well or Sawyer. Of course that's right.
Speaker 1: If anybody else had when Sawyer probably hasn't. Now, somebody on that plane surely travels with blat don't people have those to like check for Yeah, yeah, somebody probably is flying with one of them. They could, they could rig us. Yeah, so and then they can put up some groovy posters anyway. Next So next Tuesday, we'll continue with season two, episode eighteen of Lost Dave. That was his friend, right, I think so? Yeah, that was Harley's friend. I think we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss running point to which nobody gets hit by a heavy lid wall only figuratively right. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon, on Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years,