Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's nick coffee.
Speaker 2: Quick reminder before we get the five o'clock hours started, We've got you covered on.
Speaker 3: Game day, last last, well not the last.
Speaker 2: I don't know what bowl game louis is going to be in or what anything is going to look like at that point, but the last regular season game day for us is coming up this Saturday. Therefore, our pregame coverage we'll start at eleven am the Louisville Football Pre Game Show present about Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital.
Speaker 3: Eleven to noon.
Speaker 2: Noon, of course, is kickoff, and then whatever happens, we'll react to it right here on Sports Talk seven ninety for the Louisville Football postgame Show, presented by Alex R. Why Lawyer's suits to driver dot com So Kentucky, Louisville currently three and a half point favorite on the card side, and Jeff Brahm. He talked earlier today's press conference and was asked sort of about this, you know, the obvious, this rivalry. Obviously, he's a coach that doesn't need to be taught or told how how this, how this is such a big deal. He's well aware, but he's part of it, and doesn't you know, doesn't mean he doesn't give you any real advantage. I think in a way it can actually make you. If anything, it wouldn't shock me if it gives you some kind of a disadvantage, because maybe you overthink it a little bit. Not saying that Jeff will do that. I'm not saying that that's what happened last year, But nonetheless it's he knows how big of a deal it is for everybody around here, Jeff, given the desire to get that cup back here, can you even enjoy Thanksgiving dinner like with your family?
Speaker 3: Is your mind going to be like on X's and O's elsewhere?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, we have the normal invite the family, advice to the whole extended family, hoigh households, and I've already been thinking of pun excuses to use that I can't make it because I don't know how much of a good mood I'll be in. But in the end, you got to be able to, you know, enjoy some company every now and then. But no, this week it's going to be all about you know, trying to win this game. And I would definitely make sure that all the time energy is spent on preparing for this game and to making sure our team gets ready to play. And you know, that's my job. And we have one more regular season game to play and we need to you know, prepare well and play well. So I hope everyone enjoys Thanksgiving, but I'll possibly enjoy it after Thanksgivings over and after the game, you know, down in the future. But definitely it will help if if we win the game.
Speaker 2: So Eric Crawford was just on the fly, as most do, just trying to quickly share quotes from Jeff Brown's press conference without you know, having a transcript or anything like that. And if he really needed a sign that Kentucky fans are looking for some kind of extra added motivation to fire him up, you know, Louisville to give him some kind of some kind of bulletin board material because again, like their season, I mean, I would imagine they're, you know, they're pretty defeated. But what what Eric had said, which has since been deleted, he initially he initially said that Jeff Brohm said that he probably you know, can I'm trying to find the Actually, let me just back up here.
Speaker 3: This is this is there's one word.
Speaker 2: That he got wrong that did make it sound as if Jeff was just presumed, you know, just assuming his team was going to be winning, you.
Speaker 4: Know, prepare well and play well. So I hope everyone enjoys Thanksgiving, but I'll possibly enjoy it after.
Speaker 2: So I'll possibly enjoy it after Eric said probably, which it led to Matt putting that out there into the big blue bozo worlds. I mean, just like, oh, he's already saying they're gonna win, which you know, that would I guess indicate that he thinks they're gonna win. But he didn't say that, he said possibly. So Eric did delete the initial tweet and corrected himself, but it was just I'm not surprised, Like Kentucky has had a very rough season to where they're limping into this game, probably in a worse spot than they've been in in a long long time in the Governor's Cup. Now they've got recency on their side. They've won this game every year it's been played since twenty seventeen. But they just went one and seven and finished alone in fifteenth place out of sixteen teams in the SEC. They didn't beat a team in the SEC at home this year. They did beat Ohio and they beat Ole Miss, and those two teams are Bowl eligible. That's probably the best thing you can say about him. I mean, Lane Kiffin in Ole Miss, they crapt the bed with that loss to Florida on Saturday. So the other two wins Kentucky has, who Murray and Southern Miss. I mean, I think their combined record is one and ten. So again, like there's really not any thing on paper, any specific result or stat that can make Kentucky fans feel good about this matchup other than the fact that they have done really well in this series recently, and i think because of that in previous years where they've not been very good or maybe not as good as they thought they would be, they were still able to come out and beat Louisville. So I'm sure they're hoping and assuming, maybe some of them are assuming that that's what's going to happen on Saturday. But the better chance for what's going to give them a better chance to essentially come out and act like the last eleven games didn't happen, And it's a one game season, and you know the season's been underwhelming. But if you can finish strong and beat Louisville in a year where you hate your team and you were this bad, but you still beat your rival again, what's going to give you a better chance of like really having a fresh start is starting a different quarterback. And that's what Mark Stoops decided to do. He announced that today, and I think it's a it's a because again you're not. I mean, I have a hard time thinking that. And maybe I'm you know, I hope I'm wrong. Maybe this young kid does come out here and it's too big of a moment and he starts throwing the ball to the other team like they'd be great. But you know, I think he's talented enough. And you know, Brock Vandergriff wasn't going to do anything for you at that spot specifically that's going to make you that much better, right, Like he wasn't terrible this year, but he really wasn't. I mean, he was at best, he was just not a not a weakness. Like I don't think there were many times this year where, like you thought, at quarterback, Kentucky had a guy that man, Really glad we have him. I don't think there was really ever many moments at all like that. I mean, the two passes he had against Murray State, one that was picked off, one that ended up in a touchdown, that was one of the worst throws he's probably ever had. Like that kind of tells you where he is with his arm right now. So some will say that it makes it makes sense just because Brock has has been bad lately, But I think it makes sense because it does give you the most, the best, the best chance to be able to go out there offensively and just kind of become a new team. Because you saw it against Texas. Those guys started playing with a little bit more juice with the freshman out there and not Brock vandergriff And I've never felt like Kentucky, really it is any level was as bad as they were this year because of personnel. In fact, quarterback play might have been one of their weaknesses. To be honest with you, I don't I don't know if I know enough to say that confidently. But at receiver, I mean, they've got talent. Those guys have been good for years and in any moment they can make a big play and it's not going to shock you. At running back, they've been really thin, but some of the guys that probably were not they weren't super confident that they had to rely on, have ended up at times being pretty productive for him. Defensively, Clearly they've they've taken a step back from what Mark Stoops typically has, but it's.
Speaker 3: Not because of talent.
Speaker 2: They got guys in the NF They got guys on that defense that again, we're part of this one and seven sec team four and seven as we speak, that are gonna play in the NFL. So if they turn it on and they play well like, it's not going to shock me, which is why I've said throughout the show today, here and there, there really isn't a result that could happen on Saturday that I'm going to be totally surprised by. I wish I could tell you differently, And again, maybe I'm wrong, like maybe the only I mean again, we'll find out on Saturday, that's for sure. But I just know that Kentucky is a team that is better than the record shows, and in fact, I hate that saying, so let me retract. They don't have the record they have because they don't have any good players because you are. You're as good as your record says you are. I mean, that's a fact. You're a one and seven football team.
Speaker 3: That's what you did.
Speaker 2: That's the results you put out there. Now again, you should have been better. Therefore, if you play better, you will not look like a team that went one in seven in league play. So because of that, like, I know they're capable as far as having the ability to go out there and beat Louisville at home. I know Louisville has had a better year. I know Louisville is, you know, the deserving favorite here, and I think they've got really good players. I think Louislle's roster at certain spots, man, I think they've got talent. And that's why I kind of feel like this football season may end up being a what could have been here because I think you've got some guys out there making plays that you're gonna realize, Man, I wish we would have had a better season with that guy or this guy. Maybe when you see these guys playing in the NFL. So, like I know Louisville, I feel I feel better about Louisville's ceiling than I have in a long time. And I mean even going back to like Lamar's year here when he won Heisman, like I was wrong that team ended up kind of imploding, but like I felt the ceiling was pretty happen, but you had a lot of felt like you had a lot of talent on that team. I'm not comparing the two teams at all, but like I feel like Louisville right now, like if they play well, I think they can beat maybe not anybody in the country, but a lot of teams. I'll never know that, So maybe it's just wishful thinking on minad, maybe it's delusion, but like I think Louisville has some good talent, especially on offense, but I also know they can go and lose to Stanford the way that they did. Therefore, like I can'tsider and tell you that if Louisville makes those kind of mistakes, play sloppy football and they lose to Kentucky in the ultimate, like, man, how could you lose that? Like I'd be devastated, But I can't say I'd be that surprised. And it's not because I'm telling you that, Like, well, I don't believe in my team. They stink they should win, but they might get killed because you know they're terrible.
Speaker 3: Like no, I just with.
Speaker 2: How weird this year has been, Like I don't think anything from either side, And in fact, I guess the biggest surprise would be Kentucky winning this thing handily, because yeah, maybe you'll say, well, hey, that's what they do every year, and you would you would be right. They haven't lost this game in a long time. But at the same point in time, like, there would be nothing really that you saw this year from Kentucky with these players that would tell you that they were going to go out there and do what they you know, if they end up winning and they look great, it would be the first time they've probably done that all year.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Played Georgia competitively, but like they had the ugly and again credit to them, but that wasn't like, I mean, I don't think that's the kind of game they're gonna have the game plan they're gonna have to have or want to have against Louisville. And yeah, they beat All miss and that was impressive game, Like that was that was where you thought, Okay, that lost to South Carolina was an outlier. We played Georgia competitively. We just beat Ole miss here we go, and then from there they brought Rick Pertino to town and then the season fell apart. I don't think that those two have any you know, connection, but it was kind of funny how that became like the ultimate thing where they had big blue madness on a Friday Patino's in town. He's showing up rubbing elbows with Eddie Grant and Mark Stoops on the sideline, and then they didn't win another game outside of Merched Day. Like that's how it played out, and it was kind of beautiful, to be honest with you. But anyways, back to the quarterback situation. Cutter Bowley, he came in against Texas and made a couple of impressive plays. I mean, he's always been believed to be a guy that has a lot of upside. Was a really big time recruit here in the state of Kentucky. Committed pretty early, I believe, in the process. But he came in, was ten of eighteen, one hundred and sixty yards, did have an interception and didn't throw a touchdown. But you know, you could tell he's got a live arm.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Somebody on the text line asked this, and they're not they're not. They maybe they may be onto something. But because he's new, because he's the backup, and because they were so bad as a team with Brocas the guy, that Kentucky fans are lying to themselves and saying that, like this is a big upgrade, And you know, maybe there's some truth to that, because the backup quarterback is always really popular whenever the starter is not getting your results. Or maybe this guy, you know, becomes a phenom for them, you know, not maybe not nationally, but like maybe he.
Speaker 3: In his first career starts, in his first career start gives.
Speaker 2: You know, memory to their fan base that makes him somebody they never forget, regardless of what happens outside of this game. I mean, a true freshman at quarterback making his first career start in the Governor's Cup game. I would not be shocked if that's never happened before. But then again, because it used to be the first game of the season, maybe it has happened. But again, freshman, true freshman starting at quarterback, you know, in an opener is really rare for anybody to be honest with you. So I kind of feel like this is a first and again it's another reminder to me that Man.
Speaker 3: I thought last year was it.
Speaker 2: I thought last year was the year where I'd be able to say, look, no matter how many more losses or how bad they are, when it comes to Louisville losing to Kentucky and the Governor's Cup, none will be worse than this as far as just like man, you had it. They weren't even very good that it didn't play that well. You kept the you know, you kept the door open long enough. They had the special team's touchdown, which really deflated Louisville. They had Ray Davis out there running through people and you just couldn't get it done and you lost.
Speaker 3: Like that sucked.
Speaker 2: But I think we are here a year later where I think the scenario where if you lose to them, I think it's actually worse because Louisll's not as I mean louis a little bit and have the record that they had a year ago. They're not going to the a SEC Championship game. But actually think they're a better team in Kentucky. You know, they were kind of limping into the game last year with that bad loss to South Carolina, but then you know, they come out and played well and beat you. This year, they're they're at a level they've really never been under Stoops as far as just I mean fans questioning should he still be the coach now? That was happening I guess maybe earlier on in its tenure, before he broke through and started making bowl games. But this year they're struggling, to put it lightly, and it really isn't because of their Kentucky Like you used to be able to just say, well, what are you gonna do? It's Kentucky football, and to be fair to Stoops, like he did change that a little bit, but now you know, within IL, you really can't claim that you're gonna always be behind because you're Kentucky. Because Kentucky has good in io resources with the football stops. Its done a good job when it comes to that. So that's why, like this year, they're not one and seven in the SEC because of talent, because the roster was terrible. So when he says it is his press conference today that they've never been in a better spot within IL when it comes to fixing the roster, that's probably something a lot of coaches in that same situation would say. But your roster wasn't why you were this bad. Now, maybe you went out and paid a lot of money and got some talent, but they don't fit your identity as a program. They were, you know, maybe not buying in the way want them to buy in. I mean, I don't know, but this is the first time Stoops had a really bad year, and there was no excuse for it to be anywhere near as bad as it was. But as we know, if they beat Louisville on Saturday, they'll still finish five and seven and it'll be an underwhelming season for them as far as what their expectations were. But if there's one way to get Stoops to get these fans to buy back in and claim that he should still be the coach moving forward long term, you beat Louisville, it'll happen. I mean, I could be wrong, but I know what this rivalry game does emotionally on both sides.
Speaker 3: If you win it or you.
Speaker 2: Lose it, it feels better then it probably should when you win it, But when you lose it, it sucks. It's demoralizing. And I've said this about the rivalry before the joy of beating your rival is great, but there's somewhat of like a At times it feels like it's kind of what you're supposed to do because hey, you're better and you and you feel like you know you're better, so yeah, of course we want you. May it probably feels better than maybe you act at times. But like you know, I still think the the the hit that you get, let me, yes, the high that you get from beating your rival is not as is not as strong of an emotional thing as the low of losing to your rival. And I guess it depends upon circumstance, you know, like if both teams are good and you play and you lose, then you know, maybe it's a little bit different. But the way this is set up, I mean Kentucky again, like they don't they wouldn't tell you they think they're team's any good. And if they say that, believe that, and then they beat Louisville, like.
Speaker 3: It's going to be it's gonna be brutal. All right.
Speaker 2: Here's what Mark Stoops had to say about his decision UH to to make a change at starting quarterback and he's now going with the UH with the true freshman.
Speaker 5: Had a lot of poise in the pocket. I thought he distributed the football uh, you know, had the vision to hit open receivers, you know, the arm strength to get the ball down the field on a second play. You know, you saw a lot of good things. Even the play that was called back for a hold, you know, an all out pressure, he gave some ground through it to an open area. You know, completed a very difficult pass there. So I thought he did some really good things. And you know, he deserves the opportunity to get a start here this week.
Speaker 2: So I think this was the move that most Kentucky fans wanted. And I don't blame him again. I think it was a bright move by Stoops, not only just because it might make the team better, but I do think your best chance of kind of eliminating some of the stinch that has come eleven weeks in would be to go with a new quarterback, a guy who really is in charge of kind of you know, he's running the offense, he's leading the show. And if you're out there with a new guy doing it and it's not the same guy that you you know, were out there with, that helped you.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Let's say it was all block Vandergriff's fault, but I think everybody knows they didn't lose any games because the Cutter Bowl he didn't play well. Now he is. Therefore, I think you can have a better mindset of like, all right, that's all on the past. This is a new season now. I hope it doesn't work, but it's certainly worth a shot, because you know, you're not a worst team without Brock Vandergriff's arm out there. Now, maybe there's some freshman mistakes and this guy coughs it up in the pocket, maybe he throws a bad interception, and maybe you could say that Vandergriff wouldn't have had you know, wouldn't have had the same you know, youthful mistake. But I forget at times that Brock Vandergriff, all these dudes who transferred quarterback, like I just assume they're on their six or seventh year, because that's what it seems like for a lot of these guys, including Louis' quarterback Tyler Shuck. Right, Brock Vandergriff, he has one more sec win as a starting quarterback than Cutter Bowley because Brock Vandergriff never started a game at Georgia and never played and a Kentucky he really got his first taste of experience as a starter this year and it went terrible. So you know, I think there may be some that say, Okay, well, hey risky here, How risky is it? Cutter Bowley doesn't even like he hasn't even went through games making big mistakes that are crucial that help you lose games. So he's coming out fresh, so you know, it makes total sense. Now, hopefully he doesn't work out for him, but I'm not at all surprised. That's the that's the decision.
Speaker 3: That they made.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do this. Let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Talk a little basketball. Louisville and Indiana coming up on Wednesday in the Battle for Atlantis. It's the first game, so we can talk a little bit about that. Also, very very crazy weekend of college football on Saturday. As far as predicting what the committee with the playoff committee's going to do or maybe not do, we can certainly get.
Speaker 3: Into that as well. So stick with us.
Speaker 2: It's Coffee and Company. We are fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We're just in our own world over here, which you know, that's what We're supposed to do right and not get distracted by what's going on outside the show, keep our attention and focus on the show that we're doing here. But I feel completely left out. Did you know that Memphis just beat Yukon in the malle invitation?
Speaker 6: I heard the Fox Sports radio update that that was coming down to the wire.
Speaker 2: Memphis beat him ninety nine and ninety seven. Wow, in overtime. So Dan Hurley loses a game for the first time in a long time. I think the last loss they had was a loss where they actually got blown out. It was against Creighton in midway through big Big East play last year, before of course turning it on and doing what they do going on to win a national championship. So how about Penny Hardaway. You know, his best teams have always ended up being and he hasn't had many good ones, but his best teams have always been the ones where the roster it doesn't look all that special. And there's more noise about Pennies. I mean, look, they had a complete coaching change. Everybody on his staff gone right before the season started, which is not normal. And again, like things have not been good for Penny in any way in the last year or so, and yet he just comes out and knocks off. I mean, that's a big win for them. They're now five. Yukon will be fine. But yeah, there was a three at the end of regulation that Yukon hit to tie it up. So Yukon tied it up, took it to overtime. I would imagine it probably felt like, Okay, Yukon survives here because they're gonna go to ot and they're the better team and they're gonna they're gonna pull through. But actually think it's even more impressive to know that Penny Hardaway and Memphis we're able to get it, get it done in overtime. So some really good games. That's why this week is great because you've got Thanksgiving. Nobody's really you know, most people are not working this week. Even if you were going to work, you're probably not doing a lot of work. And I get it because it's it's Thanksgiving week. You've got a big weekend of football coming up. It's really going to impact the college Fooball playoff race, some rivalry games across the country, including one right here.
Speaker 3: In our state.
Speaker 2: And then you've got daytime basketball, which is awesome. I mean, that's been going on really since last week. But yeah, the Maui Invitational getting started today and the first game was not a result that I expected.
Speaker 6: Real quick, you may not know the answer to this, but who's who replaced Bill Walton on the calls in Maui for a certain game?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would imagine it's probably just their their their supporting cast of college basketball folks.
Speaker 3: I know billis is always there.
Speaker 6: Maybe it's Jay Williams.
Speaker 3: It might be. To be honest with you, wouldn't wouldn't shock.
Speaker 6: As he does do some random games from time to time.
Speaker 2: Maoi, Maui won't be the same without our man Bill Walton. R IP college basketball is gonna gonna miss him this year, especially at this event. All right, So sticking with uh with with basketball really quickly here, what would you say as of now would be what you feel the best about Indiana and what would be your biggest concern about Indiana? Because the Cards and the Hoosiers, by the way, they're going to get the Battle for Atlanta started on Wednesday. First game of that event will be at noon, and we're going to go on the air as soon as it ends, and we'll react to it, uh, and see what happens. But obviously Indiana's going to be a favorite here. But curious, best thing just think a little of or just think of Indiana from your perspective.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just about Indiana best things so far is really Mackenzie and Baccos jumped from one year from year one to year two, and uh, then the first couple of games, he was, without a doubt the best player on the floor for Indiana, and then he got a little more help in the against South Carolina, but he's he's had consistent numbers through all four games, and he's definitely probably the best early bright spot. You could also say Miles Rice in the guard position for Indiana is something because Indiana the last couple of years has had some very lackluster guard play and to see that kind of take a jump forward, that's something to be excited about, I feel like. And then most concerning I heard you talking about rebounding issues for Louisville. Indiana has also had some rebounding issues of their own, and I feel like for them it's I know exactly, it's more of a lack of effort. One thing that I've noticed that's been disappointing about Dumar Ballow is that he doesn't really have the motor, at least he's not shown it so far. There's been a couple of games where he's not really asserted himself the way that I feel like.
Speaker 2: There were some clips that made it online that might make him look like the laziest guy out us. I don't know if it's just selective when he won, you know, selective when it comes to playing hard, But there were a couple of things where I'm like, damn, like he didn't even and give a damn at all.
Speaker 6: Like this might sound, I hate to say this. I don't feel like I'm picking on Louisville, but I feel like he needs to have a monster game against Louisville because of the personnel that you all have that Louisville has.
Speaker 3: I should say, you mean to.
Speaker 2: Where like, you know, they could get him away from the rim a little bit maybe kind of you know, like Indiana, make him show that he can guards somebody. Indiana should be able to take advantage of a matchup difference right there. Yeah, But I also think, you know, as Pat Kelsey always says, and I say that, like he's been around here twenty years. But you know this is going to be a line that well, I don't know, maybe maybe this is in his back pocket because he's used it no matter where he's been coaching. But when people have referenced the really tough schedule that he has this year in the non conference, and anytime somebody will talk about a specific matchup like Indiana, like Tennessee when they came to town, you know, his initial his initial response is, well, they got to play us too. And I don't think it's because you know, he thinks that like they should be scared of Louisville or whoever he's coaching when he's said that before, but it does kind of like, yes, Ballow physically is just he's a bull in a china shop. Like he's just I mean, how big is he? I look right, I don't know about his weight or he is. Let's see, Ballow is listed at seven foot, two hundred and sixty five pounds. I mean that's a big fella, and uh, he takes up a lot of space. But what you can do, you know, I don't know how you're going to physically just limit him. I mean hopefully you just get a body on him. And box him out and be as physical as you can and hopefully he goes over the back, maybe picks up some early bowels. But you could also use that to your advantage. I would still think the advantage is more so going to be on the Indiana side when it comes to what you're doing in the front core. But maybe you pull him away from the rim a little bit because you've got guys like Cason Pryor that are giving up a couple of inches and maybe one hundred pounds. But you know, if he's got to step out and defend him, that could be to where he may have trouble staying in front. So you know, I'm not trying to act as if Indiana needs to be worried about that, But whenever there is a mismatch, you know clearly you you probably know which side you'd rather be on as far as where there's an advantage. But I worry about Louisville in this game. Well, let me start with this. We have no clue how good little I don't think that they're terrible. I don't think that they're great, but the way this thing has played out, you really just haven't had the chance to see them tested other than one game, and that was a bad look, you know. I mean I kind of felt like at times they didn't belong on the same floor with Tennessee. And I also know that they really couldn't replicate the situation that Tennessee put them into, where they didn't even know how they'd respond, and now they do. Now they saw what could happen in games against teams like that, and I would hope that they'll be much better prepared to, you know, to make adjustments in game and figure out what they want to get into offensively if they're not able to just you know, get it in an up tempo game where they get a lot of possessions and a lot of good looks from three. And I think they've been you know, they've they've had to kind of create some offense in the half court in the last two games, and I've been pretty impressed at times with some of what these guys are doing. But again, doing that against Bellerman and against Winthrop, I mean, you can't do it against Indiana, But you just don't know, like it's just hard to to take really anything from those two games. So one reason why I'm you know, I guess worry isn't even like the word like, I just I know one thing. I don't know how good they are. I don't know how bad they are. I don't know what the record's gonna be. But I do know we're going to find out where they stand on Wednesday, just because they're playing a team that is much better than everybody they've played exhibitional, real game other than Tennessee.
Speaker 3: So no clue what we're gonna get.
Speaker 2: But if you're just gonna base it off of the last time we saw them and the only time we've seen them against legit competition, it wasn't a good performance, and you know, hopefully they've learned from that. But when it comes to the matchup here, I think Indiana likes playing the style that Louisville likes to play, and they've got the personnel to do it. They've got long athletes. I mean, Imbaco himself is a really big mismatch for a lot of teams because I'm not really sure what position he is. You know, he can step outside, knock down shots. You know, he's a really skilled offensive player. He's not a great athlete, but it didn't need to be. But he's athletic enough at guard. I mean Miles Rice, I think because he played in the Pac twelve, he wasn't really a no name to a lot of people, but when he hit the portal, a lot of guys wanted him, and he ended up at Indiana, and he's he's having a good start for him. He's averaging about thirteen points I'm sorry, fourteen points, four and a half assists.
Speaker 6: I mean he's he's giving him a three point threat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, shoot six.
Speaker 2: He's shooting forty six percent from three. So you know, Malik Renew, I mean, he's he's thirteen and six and a half right now. He's a guy that you know, he probably doesn't look that big when he's out there next to Bollow, but he's also a big physical presence that has been a really good rebounder throughout his entire career. He's six nine two thirty two. So you know, my worry is that the game will be played at the pace that favors Louisville Meeting, not favors them over Indiana, but like they're gonna have a chance to be at their best at this pace rather than a slow grind it out beat you up in the half court like Tennessee wanted to do. I just worry that Indiana may actually be able to do it a lot better because you know, there's just no way to say this. I don't mean to be it's not like I mean, I just think and I think most most would agree. I just don't want to trigger somebody and make him think I'm saying this team stinks and we should just expect losses to anybody that you know, anybody that's from a team that we've ever heard of. But like Indiana has got better talent. I mean, any has players that you know are probably gonna play in the NBA. Now how long, I don't know. But like McKenzie Imbaco is McDonald's American was a top ten player, Ballow don't really know what he was as a recruit, but he's proven at Arizona to be one of the better interior players in college basketball. And what's great about Ballow is he's given you thirteen a game or twelve a game.
Speaker 3: You don't even need.
Speaker 2: Him to score. If he does, it's great. But he's just a big physical presence that you know a lot of teams don't have. And outside of that, I mean they're getting pretty good balance. Eighteen from Embaco, fourteen from Rice, renews aage averaging thirteen a game, ballow Is at twelve, and then after that you got Bryce and Tucker. I mean, I kind of feel like those four specifically, like that's your team, right, Like that's your core.
Speaker 6: Ryston Tucker comes off the bench. He's somebody who's been a really good bright spot as a freshman early on. Is Galloway still starting, No, he's coming off the bench now too. Carlisle starting. Carlile he's the other I don't know much about him. He's a transfer from Stanford. He's had one or two good games. He's been he had some inconsistent performances. He's not he's not gonna be relied on as heavily as Miles Rice. But they're a good one two punch if they're both on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just looking at Indiana's schedule at this point, and obviously their only test was against South Carolina. And South Carolina is you know, certainly better than Eastern Illinois, SIU Edwardsville and UNC Greensboro. But you know, they're they're probably I don't know, maybe South Carolina ends up being better than Loisll this year. I'm not really sure, but I'm sure. Actually, let me ask you this, are you looking at Louisville to be a test that is similar to what you got against South Carolina.
Speaker 6: Or North Is this is a level up and at least in my so you think you think, like you know, I don't think South Carolina is very good.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't see a second of the game, but I did feel confident about it going in. I bet on that one just because I looked at But I mean, I looked at the two teams and I just felt like Indiana was in position to roll and they won by eighteen. I think it was so, you know, and none of us know how good anybody really is right now. Some teams have played a really challenging schedule to where you have a good feeling about where you are. But these two teams aren't that both have played a solid opponent, although Louisville's opponent clearly looks.
Speaker 6: To be and they do have an opponent, even though one was an exhibition.
Speaker 2: So I was getting ready to say, is that like Louisvill's played a much better team than any of the opponents that Indiana's played, but you know what, in an exhibition game, they beat that team. So you know, I'll just say it, like, I don't expect Louisville to win on Wednesday. I hope they're competitive and if they win, awesome. I hate, you know, saying that and feeling that way, but it's just, you know, it's just the honest true.
Speaker 6: And I want to say this about Indiana if they and I think Louisville can definitely win this game if they play to the best of their ability, but Indiana fans will not be happy if they lose this game. It's but with Mike Woodson specifically based on this, the fact that this is year four, with an improved roster, you're expected to take a step forward, and losing your first game in the Battle for Atlantis to a first year head coach, at least at a power program like this, that would not look good for Indiana fans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in their eyes, of but.
Speaker 2: In my eyes, And it's probably all the factors you just mentioned. But I was going to say, like, I think it's because one recency lowl has been really bad lately. Also, there's high expectations for Woodson with this roster yeah, and also they just really don't give him any again. You know, I don't think a loss here would mean like people should lose their mind. But I agree with that, But I know how fans are, so like, I'm not at all.
Speaker 6: The leash is very short until he does something that kind of gives him a little more leeway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like he's he's actually had a really really good run since the season ended with everything as far as his roster, and you know, so far they look pretty good. They're a top fifteen team right now. But he's one of those guys that because they kind of feel like they should have been better up to this point than they've been. Any little slip up will lead to not a mob of people in the streets claiming he needs to be fired, But like he didn't have a lot of wiggle room. To be fair, he did so well at putting his roster together. There really is no excuse for him to not be a good team this year, you know, And I don't think that. I mean, i'd say, right now, really unlikely they end up being a team that like misses the tournament, but you know, they should be, not just that, they should be probably one of the better teams in the Big Ten this year, and who knows, maybe they will be, but I just I think right now, I don't know. I'm trying to not put so much emphasis on what I saw against Tennessee, but it's impossible not to because again, I know when they play the bell Hop in the Bahamas and they play you know, Spaulding in an exhibition game, Bellerman, like, I just know what that is. So I try not to really put much into that at all.
Speaker 3: So what does that do?
Speaker 2: That gives me only one game to really try to take something from for this matchup on Wednesday, And in that one game it wasn't good. It wasn't good at all. So we shall see, right quick break, We'll come back on the other side, finish up with a little college football playoff scenario talk because you know, just looking through a great piece here about Pat forty of Sports illustrated.
Speaker 3: The shakeup.
Speaker 2: I mean again, the committee would have to just be egregious to like not hold the SEC teams that lost accountable. Like I don't know, I guess more people are joking when they claim that like certain teams could still be alive. But I guess we'll find out tomorrow, quick Break, don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: Right now, I think it's you know, you could say that there are twenty four teams that aren't completely dead when it comes to playoff chances, but the vast majority of those twenty four are.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's pretty much impossible for them to get in.
Speaker 2: But I guess by technicality you can claim, well, hey, you know we're not dead yet. So here are the teams that are just in no matter what. Oregon, Ohio State and Georgia. Teams that I feel like are probably in regardless, Notre Dame, Penn State, Texas, Tennessee. And then it gets it gets tricky, got teams like s some U Miami and Indiana who certainly benefited from everything that happened in the SEC the other night, and.
Speaker 3: I'd say possibly in.
Speaker 2: And then the teams that I feel like are the not dead yet but like it's not it's not happening.
Speaker 3: I would say.
Speaker 2: Ole, Miss Alabama, BYU, Iowa State, Arizona State, I mean, Clemson. I don't think they could get in, but maybe with a strong showing against South Carolina, who's ended up being one of the better teams in the SEC, and you know, another upset or two, maybe that can end up happening. But the teams that can only get in if they win their conference title and can still technically make their conference title is Boise State, UNLV, Tulane, Army Colorado in Kansas. So you know, when you have the SEC just I mean go out. I mean, it couldn't have been worse for the SEC to be honestly. Now again, they're still gonna get three teams in, and they may still have those three teams go far and maybe the SEC winner is or maybe maybe the national title winner is an SEC team.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't shock me at all.
Speaker 2: Could be Georgia, It could be any those teams, although I would be shocked if it was it was Tennessee. But if you look at the a'ies, like the SEC, wanting to be a four bid league is just not I just don't see how you would do that because Bama can't get in. I mean they just I mean I guess they can. The committee can can prove to us that they do have some biases going on. But I think the Big ten, I mean know they get in four in. I mean, they are right, It sounds crazy because again, like just seeing the teams that are gonna get left out and seeing the teams that are gonna get in, I'm I'm doing what doesn't matter, and that is just knowing like, wow, these brands are a lot different than the others, but it doesn't It's not about brand, it's not about history. It's about you know, what you've done this year results. And yeah, maybe they're there potentially be because of record and not resume, but that doesn't make two and three loss SEC teams any more worthy. Like Penn State in Indiana, there's no doubt about it. You'll be able to say they're there because of their record, not because of their resume, but you know, both things matter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, and they can both lose this Saturday. Now it would be Highly State Maryland. So both Indiana and Penn State are playing teams they should easily beat up on. But you can always always throw out that possibility, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look that I'd be lying to you if I said I had any clue as to what's going to happen in the Big twelve. But I know that their results with Colorado losing the way they did, who there was two upsets in the.
Speaker 6: Lost areas on the State. That was the one with the field goal posts. Yeah, and torn down prematurely.
Speaker 2: So that was a crazy ending, by the way. I think that was playing out while we were on the air for the postgame show. But anyways, like the the Big Twelve, I mean, they've got a chance to get a league in because of course you get in if you win, if you win the championship, but they could maybe not get one of those buys because of how the rankings are going to because again the Big Twelve is gon end up putting a team in there only because they're slotted to have it with the title winner, and that team, you know, may be borderline top twenty depending on who it is. I still think the ACC it could be a two bid league, and it did benefit from the SEC doing what it did Saturday. But I would say SMU and Miami both being you know, like if Miami wins and SMU ends up being an eleven and two ACC team, I think that's the best case scenario. I just don't see Clemson getting in, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 3: It was fun, brother, it was fun. We'll do it again.
Speaker 6: Back Yes, I'll be back.
Speaker 3: Soon, looking forward to it. Have a good night everybody,