Speaker 1: All right, let's get a dry time. Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: We are looking at about twelve minutes past the hour of two o'clock.
Speaker 1: It is hot, man. I just landed.
Speaker 2: From the great Pacific Northwest, stepped off the plane and realized that it's very much summer, the dog days of summer here in Salt Lake City, Utah. We are looking at about ninety six degrees in sunny on this Monday afternoon, and as it is every single day, it's going to have you along for the riots.
Speaker 1: Bence check.
Speaker 2: It's back behind the mic during a little time off to Friday off.
Speaker 1: But good to be back.
Speaker 2: Shout out to porter for holding it down and everybody else for holding it down while I was gone.
Speaker 1: And my goodness, did I miss a lot.
Speaker 2: I was kind of in the middle of nowhere Pacific Northwest without a lot of cell service. And when I kind of got back into reality saw all the news about the transactions in pro basketball. The Utah Jazz have been busy. They're making another transaction.
Speaker 1: As we speak. We'll tell you what that is and what could be next.
Speaker 2: So a lot of NBA today, a lot of NBA free agent fallout as a free.
Speaker 1: Agency has begun.
Speaker 2: Free agency is here, and Austin Ainge is putting his fingerprints on this team, as.
Speaker 1: We expected him to do.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: The rookies did report No, ayst Bailey did.
Speaker 1: Not refuse to come to the Salt Lake. He is here and summer League is upon us.
Speaker 2: So we'll get to know these young men and see what the plan is for Austin and his staff as they move forward with their roster construction. So we'll do some NBA, we'll do some jazz, we'll do some offseason free agency, some drafts, and then the news came down the Jake rerhetz Laugh has been telling his coaches and teammates that he is transferring and the civil lawsuit that was filed against him has been drafted.
Speaker 1: That came down earlier today.
Speaker 2: Kyle Bond of Gura, friend of the show, Pete Damil, and of course our friend's over at the Salt Lake Tribune, Kevin Reynolds, making sure they're taking care of that story. Doing a great job, and it's really too bad in a lot of different ways. I will reiterate what Shaun had to say during our crossdock portion. This is not a situation where I find it appropriate to dunk on anybody. I think it's a bad look. I just think it sucks. I think it sucks where everybody involves. There just isn't any winners here at the end of the day. So we'll talk about it on the program. It's one of my most un favorite things to cover as a media member in state honor code violations at BYU, Like what do you do with that?
Speaker 1: Everybody knows the deal man, everybody knows the.
Speaker 2: Deal and if you know you're not willing to kind of tow the line down there, you probably should look to find a different place to go to school, as I've always said. But busy show RSL. We'll get to a little RSL on the program today. They're going to be back in action with actually kind of a busy, busy schedule moving forward because the June slate was so light. They only had two games of Jim and they're starting to get healthier. See what happens when they get diego back and hopefully Mecha Nelly gets.
Speaker 1: Back soon as well.
Speaker 2: So we'll do a little soccer on the program and do a little RSL on the program. Of course, one I always on the off season the NFL and pro football, but it's kind of a quiet time for that right now. RSL was able to get a draw at Children's Mercy Park over the weekend one to one, and.
Speaker 1: Now they're going to take on Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: They've got actually five of the next six games at home. Wait a second, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight of the next nine games at home. Oh all right, So a lot of RSL here in the market is they're going to be home for most of their matches over the next.
Speaker 1: Couple of months.
Speaker 2: All right, good guest list today on a Monday, Happy Monday to you. Hope you had a great weekend off to a great start to that work week. We'll bring in Tim Bontemps right off the top. Timmy covers the NBA for ESPN. He's on the Hoop Collective podcast. We'll get his thoughts on the Colin Sexton transaction. Yusuf Nurkic and you had to attach a second to Colin to make the trade kind of caught me off guard a little bit. The Jazz are working on a buyout that actually just became official, so Jordan Clarkson is now a free agent. The rumors are out there that he will sign with the New York Knicks, who, by the way, do not have a coach. So Jazz making moves, Austin Ainge making moves. The NBA Finals and the NBA Draft is behind us. So we'll do a little primer today with Timmy bon Tabs. Tom Haverstrow, consistent Monday guest of ours. Tom wrote a really cool piece, well, I should say, really insightful piece on this weird Malik Beasley situation where he's the subject of a federal gambling investigation. Malik played a little ball here just for a little bit before he was moved off of and had a really good year actually in Detroit. But another weird story based off of players being caught maybe doing some inappropriate things as far as fixing lines and such to make a little money. So we'll see what Tom has to say about that. We'll bringing Amy Donaldson. It's been a while since we've been able to catch out with Amy, our friend from KSL. We'll bounce around a little bit with Amy, do a bunch of different things. Kurt Schmidt, RSL roster constructor technical director. I've lose track of the names over there, but Kurt is the guy in charge making the decisions.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about the.
Speaker 2: Draw against ask C, and then we'll look out to Saint Louis and we'll see how healthy.
Speaker 1: The group is getting.
Speaker 2: As RSL badly in need of points, they do have four points over the past two games, which is a good sign in the right direction.
Speaker 1: So we'll bring Kurt in today.
Speaker 2: As well, so Tim Bond, Temps, Tom Haberstrow, Amy Donaldson, Kurt Schmidt, Mee Spence, Jackets back by the Mike.
Speaker 1: Great to be back.
Speaker 2: Thanks for giving Porter your attention and speaking to Porter.
Speaker 1: I was Friday. I heard you have a little adventure.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we were just a tad bit out of the neighborhood down in Spanish Fork. But it was a good time and as you mentioned, we had plenty to get to all of the Jazz draft stuff, all of the trade talk gathering on Friday, and of course at that point the Ace Bailey stuff was I thought the entire time much of a non story, but that was kind of the part of the show, was trying to explain that to a lot of the listeners who were concerned. As you know, during the show Friday, all that kind of got cleared up and that was the basis of it. But a good time down in Spanish Fork with our friends at Tim Dally.
Speaker 2: Very nice, very nice. So our first guest today will be Tim Bontems. But before Tim stops by courtesy of our good friends and your good friends too at Prize Picks, it's Tom now for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on Utah's number one sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: So, as I referenced, I left town and a lot happened over the weekend. Busy busy weekend of local sports storylines. We'll get to the Jake Rretz off Yu stuff a little bit later on. Have some thoughts on that what's next for BYU? What's next for Jake as this whole situation probably is something that everybody involved is ready to move on from. But the Utah Jazz led by Austin Ainge, are making some moves. So it's pretty clear. As we discussed last week prior to the NBA Draft. Austin Ainge has not had a hand in this roster construction up until he took the job, obviously, so he is not married to any of these players. There's probably just no loyalty. I don't mean that to sound harsh. It's just like all of these players are going to be on the table, and if we're honest, most of them have been on the table. Colin Sexton certainly a name that a lot of people have been watching for potentially to get moved. Well, he's on his way to Charlotte in exchange for use of Nurkic, and then the Jazz actually had to attach a second round pick to Colin to make that move, which caught me off guard. I mean, Colin Sexton is a good basketball player.
Speaker 1: There's a lot to like about Colin. He played pretty well here.
Speaker 2: I mean he was a nineteen point night guy, ended up shooting over forty percent from three last year, which was a career high.
Speaker 1: The usage stuff.
Speaker 2: Isn't great, and he's one of these guards on this roster that isn't a great defensive player and doesn't have great size. So I wasn't too surprised to see Colin and hear the news that Colin had been moved on from I just completely thought they'd be able to get more than use of Nurkic. He was a shell of his former self and he was never really that good anyway. But he is a backup big and maybe you know he and Walker Kessler practicing together, you know, a veteran center that can help walk her out. But also Nurkic is more expensive than Colin as far as his salary goes, not by a lot, but the Jazz actually took back more money than they sent out with Colin Sexton and they had to attach his second round pick. Now, the main motivation here is actually really simple. We don't really have to overthink it. It is pretty clear, at least from my understanding some things that I've read and some discussions I've had, the Jazz really like. And by the way, it's Walt Clayton Junior, not Walter. He told us at his introductory press conference. He prefers Walt. I think this kid's gonna play, and I think one of the reasons they made this deal. In fact, I would say the main empetus for the decision making process was to open up minutes for Walt, and they're going to play Isaiah. I mean Isaiah started a number of games last year, Keyonte got a lot of minutes off the bench, even with Colin Sexton and Jordan Clarkson, who, by the way, is also no longer a member of the Jazz. The Jazz have reached a buyout agreement with Jordan, so today no Colin Sexton, no Jordan Clarkson. And essentially as far as the value in return, yeah, I think they probably.
Speaker 1: Could have done better for Colin. But if they could have, they would have. It's not like they were looking for a bad deal.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, this just opens up minutes for the young guards, more minutes for Isaiah, more minutes for Kiante, and more minutes for Walt probably and just opening up opportunities for these young players to play. Because remember, if we take Austin at his word during his introductory press conference when his response to Sean's question about manipulate eight minutes and losing on purpose, you will not see that this year.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So really what they're doing is they are going to play these young players almost exclusively.
Speaker 1: In a way.
Speaker 2: It's what Washington did for a while last year. They brought in some vets. They've got Chris Middleton, They've got Marcus Smart. Now they have CJ. McCollum. But last year, you know, it was a lot of Palel Coolibali. It was a lot of really young Washington players because they were playing for Draft Capital, just like the Jazz, but unlike the Jazz, Washington didn't go about it in a way where they were manipulating minutes and making up injuries and sitting players that are healthy. Then Jazz did that. You can ask in the league find them. So I just think when you look at how this is going to go, you are going to see a lot of Walt Clayton junior. You're going to see a lot of Isaiah Collier and Chiante George and Bryce s and Sibon, Cody Williams and hopefully Taylor's healthy and obviously Ace will get TOAs in a minute. So those are the two transactions that the Jazz have made that are official. Colin Sexton is a Charlotte Hornet. Jordan Clarkson has been bought out. They draft Ace Bailey, they draft Wall Clayton junior, and I just think you're going to see a lot of young kids play man. I just think that's the deal. It's going to be a lot of youth. It's going to where on will hardy. Coaches don't like playing rookies. They don't like playing you young players because you cannot trust them, and it will look really rough next year in a lot of different ways.
Speaker 1: And that's probably by design.
Speaker 2: And I'm certain they're looking at next year's draft and hoping that maybe they can get a little luck next year that they didn't get this year. And then potentially if that goes down, if you can get one overall and say it's the debansa kid is going to play at BYU, then we got something right. Then we've got something as far as how this thing is going to go all right before we catch a break. The Ace Bailey stuff was interesting because I gotta be careful here because I'm sure I was part of the problem. I mean, I wasn't reporting anything. I was just reading and listening to reactions across the board. And I've heard a lot of people just crack on ESPN for this specifically.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just ESPN. There was an athletic report.
Speaker 2: There were several people on social media that surmised that Ace very much did not want to come and play basketball and solid for the Utah Jazz personally can't cooperate any of it. We did talk about it on Thursday before I left town, but you do about nothing. I'm not sure that I would go that far, because remember, we don't know really what goes on behind the scenes. And the most recent example I can use is the Donovan Mitchell situation where our guy just blew up that roster. He blew up that iteration of jazz basketball because of the way he conducted himself behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: And him deciding whether it was whatever.
Speaker 2: The senator Adams I don't can't remember if he was a senator, but the you know, one of our state legislators with some very tone deaf, unfortunate comments that when I heard him, may usa, Oh dude, you just don't say that out loud. You know, you can keep your opinions to yourself if you want to. But that iteration of jazz basketball was blown up by one person. This was not Danny Ainge rolling in here and deciding to break it down. This was not justin Zanik deciding that that team was done.
Speaker 1: This was Donovan Mitchell, essentially.
Speaker 2: Telling him, telling people, I am out of here as soon as I have the ability to make the decision, Quinn Snyder himself saying no pathway forward.
Speaker 1: So like, it's what I've heard a lot of mostly team.
Speaker 2: Employed people talk about, Oh, you know, the trade thing, there's nothing. There might be something there, But what's this kid gonna do not show up and report. I mean, obviously he's going to show up and report and sign his contract and be a part of summer League.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he wants to be here. If he doesn't want to be here.
Speaker 2: I think the story was reported maybe in some circles a little inappropriately, But the fact of the matter is, in this league, as Richard Smith talked about and Gordy talked about during Draft night when we did our draft coverage, if you want to work for the business of the National Basketball Association, they assign you to an office for the first seven years of your career. And we can debate, and I have debated in the past, whether.
Speaker 1: Or not that's right, whether or not that's just.
Speaker 2: I've always said, if you're among the best at what you do in the world, you should have a say and where you do that thing. But in the ecosystem of pro basketball. It takes you seven years during that right and honestly, it's not all that different. I mean, how many people right out of school or whatever for the first job land exactly where they want to be doing exactly you know, what they want to do for the people they want to do.
Speaker 1: It for it. That's not how life works, So say what you want.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Jazz are gonna have a seven year runway unless something goes bizarrely sideways to convince Ace that he can accomplish whatever he wants to accomplish here in Saut Lake, so he reports all the noise seems to have kind of gone away, and now we get summer league and we'll see how he looks. The Jazz have released their summer league roster. Will tell you who that is, or I should say we will tell you who is on that list. They also released Johnny Juzing today. That's not that big of a surprise. So the Austin ange era as the primary voice and decision maker for the roster construction the Utah Jazz has begun.
Speaker 1: So it did just become official. The Jazz have reached a biot.
Speaker 2: Agreement with Jordan Clarkson, who will now become a free agent. According to our very own Sarah Todd from the show, she's hearing that the New York Knicks might be the landing spot for Jordans.
Speaker 1: So we'll get back to that.
Speaker 2: Of course, a lot to do with our first guests right out of the gates. One of our favorites, Tim bond Temps from ESPN. Tim, Happy Monday man, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: Are you well?
Speaker 1: Appreciate the time, So let's just start with that.
Speaker 2: Jordan Clarkson, who by all accounts has been great here as a vet that this organization is really embraced and really really enjoyed having here, probably had his best year under Quinn Snyder when he won six Man of the Year a number of years ago. And you know, Tim, you and I have talked about this, if we're honest, He's been available for probably three years, but no market for him as he hit the buyout market. And like I said, Sarah Todd is reporting the New York Knicks might be the landing spot.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts on that? Tim?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think if you go back to Austin Age's intro presser and he talked about you know, we're not gonna intentionally manipulate lineups. Well, you know, and after intentionally the manipulate lineups a few remove the veteran players and allow the young players to play through mistakes. And I think that is what the Jazz are pretty clearly doing. I mean, they moved down to Collins sexon the other day, they moved now from Clarkson. I assume at some point somewhere think it easily happen with John Collins and you know there, I think we're going to see a lot of these young fellows playing this season for Utah, And I think it makes a lot of sense. You know, let Walter Clayton play through mistakes, Let you know, let Anthony George go out there and do stuff, and you know, let these guys they say, Klier, et cetera. You know, let them all grow and develop and play and and get better. And you know, at the same time, it's probably going to accomplish the other goal team is likely going to have, which is to not have a very good win loss record and have one more crack at a high pick. So you know, makes sense, makes sense for Jordan now a chance go be on a contending team we'll see if it's the next or somebody else. And I think I think it sort of makes sense across the board for everybody.
Speaker 1: I agree and move let's move over to the section and stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, another player Tim that certainly could have been traded at any point over the past, probably, I don't know, the three years. I was a little surprised they had to attach a set is a good player. I mean, you know, this is not an All Star, but he played well here about nineteen points a night shout over forty PC from three. The decision making at times can get suspect. He's not a great defensive player, but they have to attach a second rounder to him to send him to Charlotte in order to bring in use of Nurkic that I think that's just an expiring deal.
Speaker 1: I don't know what else as far.
Speaker 2: As the motivation goes, But give me your thoughts on that transaction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was the exact same thing. I mean, you know, the Jazz have a bunch of guards and they want to play him, and you know moving on from Clarkston and Sexton allows them to do that easily, not any issues. And yeah, look, I really wasn't too overly, too concerned about the one second, I think if you look at, you know, where the Jazz sit, it was obvious why they'd be looking to move on from Sexton. And I'm sure the Horits saw that and said, you know, hey, if we're going to do it when he give us a second. But I don't, you know, I can understand why people go by and answing home and pick. I get that, but you know, I'm sure I'm sure Charlotte looked at the situation and saw what was going on too. And you know, the truth is, there's not that many places you can necessarily send Colin Sexton. I think if they there was value in the market forum, they certainly would have gotten it. So I think, you know, again, overall, you move him out of the way, you move Clarkson out of the way, You play Kyer and George and obviously especially Walter Clayton junior, and you roll forward, and I think I think it accomplished the goal that the Jazz had for what they were trying to do. And I think you saw more of the same today.
Speaker 1: So Ace Bailey is the pick.
Speaker 2: Tim The Jazz made that pick at five, and I think a lot of people around here really excited for the potential. You know, Jonathan Cavoni and the Sam Vassini, a lot of these, a lot of the mock draft guys about five six months ago actually had As in the mix for like number two outside of Cooper Flag and it's like, where's he gonna go? Of course, his teammate Dylan Harper separates himself. He's the second overall pick. But I want to know what your understanding is about the story that was surrounding Ace after the Jazz drafted him, where it was reported that his agent refused.
Speaker 1: To give a comment.
Speaker 2: I think it was to you guys over at ESPN about whether or not they're excited to have As in saw Lake City, and Tim, you've been coming on the show for six years, you know the deal. We want you to like us so badly. Sometimes it's a little ridiculous. But you know, there was even some people that surmised he might not even report.
Speaker 1: Well, that wasn't the case.
Speaker 2: He flew in on time, He gave his pressure and seems like a really sweet kid. He's excited to be here. Do I know exactly what's happening behind the scenes. No, I have no frame of reference for that, but I wonder what your understanding is of that entire dynamic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's what I would say. I would say that, you know, what ultimately matters is the last part, right and my you know, as Jonathan and I were reporting on that story last week, my belief the entire time was that if we got to the point where Race Bailey got to Salt Lake City and was was around well already in Austin Age and Ryan Smith and you know, with the with the rest of the jazz organization, and with Walter Croyton also, who I thought was a very good pick up on the jazz in the draft, I thought all this stuff would eventually sort of ad away, and I think it will in time. You know, obviously, during the draft process, it was quite clear that Ace's camp had a pretty clear idea of what they were trying to do, which I think the general consensus was to get to Washington, and they did not get to Washington. And you know, like I said, I think that led to a little a little bit of uh interesting circumstance for a couple of days. But but your read on Ace is what I think anyone's read on him that's been around him is that he's just sort of a you know, pretty gregarious and friendly guy. And I think he'll he's the kind of personality that I think fans will really like as a player. And look, he's obviously a guy who's a big swing and a toolbox for the player. And I would argue that he probably landed in the single best spot he could land in where there'll be no real pressure on him. It's sort of obviously Salt Lake City is not, you know, playing for the Knicks, and he'll be out of the way, and he's playing for a great coach and Will Hardy who will put him in the best positions he can to succeed. And you know, I think ultimately the long term situation for him is going to be a really positive one. And whatever his potential is as a player, I feel pretty confident that, you know, whatever he's going to be in the NBA, he'll come as close as he's going to be the hitting it playing for Will and playing for the Jets.
Speaker 2: That last part I wanted to follow up on you you kind of answer the question, but let's unpack it a little bit away from the drama and just honed it on the player as you've learned more about him. I don't love comps, but if you have some comps out there, like what should the fan base know about his potential and should he develop and stay healthy and all the things fall into place, what.
Speaker 1: Do you think that looks like in the NBA?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm going to stay a little bit away from comps just because I mean I've seen him play a couple of times in person. But I'm not Jonathan your bony from a draft standpoint. But what I will say is like you don't need comps to look at him and see what the potential is, right, which is to be a big rangey wing. You know, the guy he measures closest to is Jason Tatum. Like, obviously, if he turns into Jason Tatum, the Jazz will be very happy, right, whether it's Tim or Paul George, like the name the big scoring wing that can you know, handle the ball and shoot it and make tough shots. Like you know that that's obviously a hugely valuable and highly coveted player, and you know there's obviously a lot of swing and miss potential on that. Like we've seen a lot of guys like him get drafted that are a project and the project doesn't work out right. But like I said, I think when you look, when you look where the Jazz are sitting, but sitting with the fifth pick, they fall down in the draft, they fall out of the top three or four like they'd hoped to be all season, and as you said, correctly, all year long, Ace was a consensus top three guy. For him to fall from three to five, and for the Jazz to get a guy that when the lottery happened, if they'd picked, if they'd gotten the third pick in the draft, it would have been widely assumed they'd take Ase Bailey. I think that's a win for the Jazz, and I think it was the Other thing I'll say is I think Austin Ainge deserves a lot of credit, and the Jazz front office and scouting group deserves a lot of credit because nobody had any idea of what the Jazz we're going to do going into the first round last week. And I think that they deserve a lot of credit for, you know, keeping their stuff quiet and not anybody know what's going on, And they deserve credit for taking a swing on a guy that didn't work out, and you know, wasn't exactly clear how it was going to play out, and they bet on their process and bet on the talent, and now we'll see if the talent works out.
Speaker 6: In the end.
Speaker 2: Just ask you one more follow up jazz question before we move on, because as you have articulated, and I am on board with and I agree with it, just it does appear they are clear in the deck and this is going to be a team that leans into their youth and there's going to be a lot of young players playing a lot of big minutes, and I'm sure Will Hardy is going to be a little frustrated from time to time. Coaches don't love rookies and young players. But they still have a John Collins on the roster. They still have a lowry marketing on the roster. I don't know that I've ever been in the who like they should trade marketing camp and just reset the clock, because he really is very good when he's right, and he actually has, you know, teammates that know how.
Speaker 1: To play pro basketball.
Speaker 2: But they're they're they're do you know, I'm not doing the windhorse what's going on in Utah thing, Tim, But I'm doing something like it. Do you think there are other moves on the horizon for this team?
Speaker 3: I mean, certainly I think that John Collins, I would I don't know this to be sure, this is just me looking at it, but I would say John Collins following following Jordan Clarkson and Colin Sexton out the door as another vet, you know, to get out of the way of some younger guys playing. Could make sense. Now the Jets have a lot more guards and perimeter players than they do big so that category at this point. So maybe John John Collins sticks around. And I certainly don't think they're going to be in a rush to you know, get rid of lowry market and just to do so. So I think if there is a loarry market and trade out of match, it's going to be for him getting quite a bit of value back. And yeah, in general, like you said, I think the division for this is very clear. And I mean I had a lot of people ask me the same sort of the same question you had about the secretary. Why you know, surprised they gave up a second rounder, but the you know again, I think that's sort of a negligible cost and the overall direction here is very clear, and frankly, I think it's been very clear from the moment Austin got asked about, you know, tanking and what the plan was going forward. Right the second he said that, a lot of people latched onto we're not going to do that as we're not going to tank, which I don't think the Jazz are going to tank, but what they are going to do is what you said, which is leaning to their young players and allow them to play and play through mistakes. And that's probably going to lead to the healthy amount of losses, but it's also going to I think, create a you know, a more fun I would say, atmosphere for fans to be watching the games, because instead of you know, sort of what has gone on last year or two down the stretch a couple of years before and then most of last season, you know, it's just going to be the young guy's plane and then you'll let the chips fall what they may is the season plays out.
Speaker 1: Actually, one more Jazz thing I want to get your thoughts on this.
Speaker 2: They did end up trading three second round picks and essentially swapping their first round pick just to move up three spots to take well and by the way.
Speaker 1: It's Walt.
Speaker 2: He told us all during his press conference. He wants to be called Walt, so we will call him what he prefers. And look, that's probably a little too much to move up just three spots. But the other thing is like if he's the guy, right, Like, if you've identified that that's your guy, go get them, you know what I mean. So your thoughts on attaching three second round picks and that first, just to move up three spots to take walk Clayton Junior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's they moved. They used the three seconds to get up and get Clayton. And look, we'll see if seconds become more valuable as talent comes back in the draft in the coming years, but seconds probably matter as little as they ever have with the way the second round has been turned into a two way factory. So I don't mind the cost of that. Again, if Clayton has becomes their long term starting point guard, which I think he very well could. I'm a very big Clayton fan. Sure, then I you know, the cost of that is negligible. Now, moving up is always a risk, and paying that cost is always a risk because if it blows up in your face, it's double wamby because you don't like you end up. You don't like to miss on a pick, and you don't like to pay the cost of having to move up to do that. For somebody, it doesn't work out. But I like the fit. I think, especially for a young team, having a guy who has played as much as he has and has the leadership qualities that he does, I think will be a great thing for the Jazz. Would not shock me if he quickly becomes the long term starting point guard for Utah, and I suspect he's going to be a guy Jazz fans are happy to watch for a long time.
Speaker 1: All right, Tim.
Speaker 2: So typically when everybody has the same take, I'm a little bit skeptical is if that's the right tick to have. But it's been a few days now since the draft, and look, maybe Derek Queen is Jokic junior. Maybe he's awesome, Maybe he turns into a great player for the Pelicans. I just don't understand how you can't even attach like a top four or a top five protection to what they sent to Atlanta to move up ten spots. And maybe I'm missing something, but you know, this is one of these things where it just feels like everybody has the same opinion and that opinion might be right. Like, what do you think the mindsight is for Joe Dumars and the Pelicans with a deal they made on draft night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean everyone's opinion is correct. I mean there's not a lot of there's not It's pretty hard to justify that trade. The value proposition just is not there for to war. So it's a remarkable deal for you for Atlanta, which has had a remarkable week. I mean, Chris has Persingis was a very good pickup for them. Love the work they did in the draft. It seems like they got decent chance to get to kill Alexander Walker from the Wolves. If they could do that and sign him this week, that would be a pretty massive pickup. And yeah, I mean, look, Derek Queen could become a great player. He's obviously very talented guy. You could do a lot of different stuff at the ball. But the value proposition there of moving up ten spots and giving up an unprotected first and one that if you ask people in the league, is projected to be the top half of the lottery pick. I mean that pick's got a good chance of being a ping punk ball pick next year, meaning one that's in the top four. That's that's just way too steep a price to give up. And I mean, like you said, you just sort of asked about the Jazz giving up three seconds to move up three spots, right, not completely unprotected first round pick and a very good draft next year with you know, in a situation where the Hawks even stayed in the first round. I mean, it's just it's hard to fathom on every level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm with you there, all right, So a lot has been making and maybe we just need to always lean into any story that has attached to Lebron Lebron James. He opts in and then there are conversations about you know, Rich Paul makes some comments that he wants to compete for a championship.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe they do move up off of him.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, But what's your take on just the entire Lebron dynamic opting in then the noise that's kind of surrounded out over the past few hours.
Speaker 3: I suspect Lebron James be playing with Luka Doncic with the Lakers in the fall. I don't really see another way this is going to go. If Lebron had really wanted to explore the studio space, he could have easily opted out of his deal. He did not. It's very hard to trade anybody making fifty three million dollars, even if you're motivated to. There's really reason for the Lakers to be motivated to. Because Lebron has no trade clause. They couldn't trade them really if they want to without his consent on both the location and the trade coming back. That makes it extremely difficult to trade them again. If there's a role where the Lakers wanted to trade them, I'm sure there is not, and so I suspect the Lakers are thrilled to opted in or thrilled to have one of the best fifteen or so players on the planet still on their team, and we'll be excited to have him and Luca play together in the fall.
Speaker 1: I would agree with that. It feels like the noise around Giannis is quieted. Is that fair? Do you think there's still something there?
Speaker 3: I think it's in the same place it's been, which is, let's see where the Bucks are at after free agency and then we can maybe assess what the overall situation is. But Giannis hasn't asked out. There has been no change in that situation, and you know they got Bobby before his sign We'll see what else they do, and I think when the dust settles, we'll see where the bucks are at and then we'll see if Giannis decides to change his tune at all. But for now, yeah, I mean he's expected to be there and they got Porous done. We'll see what else they could do in the coming hours and days to fill out the roster around him and see how competitive they could be in the East.
Speaker 2: Why do you think there's been this increase in player movements. I mean, it's the first day of free agency and I think there have been over twenty transactions. Is that a CBA deals out a second Apron deal? What gives with all this? It seems like tim there's just a lot more movement earlier than typically there is.
Speaker 3: Well, there's basically no movement that's happened so far. What's happened is I mean, I guess there's a couple of trades that have happened, but I mean predominantly what's happened is now the second that the finals are over, you can officially begin negotiating with your players who you have under contracts. So for the last week, what we've seen is a whole flood of deals for guys that are staying with the current teams.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: And so it used to be this stuff would happen and then you'd get to six o'clock tonight and free agency would start and then the floodgates would opening and just would announce all these deals right that we're done. Well, now like when you get James Harden's seign, you could just say, hey, we got James Harden done, and you know, you can sort of go down the list that way and just like get all this business done. So that's why it felt like there's more public stuff because there's not a like flood that's coming out at six o'clock tonight, and a lot of this stuff that was already sort of done in this period in the past is now being done and taken care of before we get to six o'clock on June thirtieth, and that's when you know, we'll start to see the guys that were changing teams. We'll start to see what happens with them starting tonight in terms of where they go and what their situations look like.
Speaker 2: Any anything else coming out of Boston or do you think mission accomplished with Holiday and poor zingis off the books.
Speaker 3: I think they got their mission accomplished in terms of getting out of the second apron. It wouldn't shock me if the Celtics get out of the tacks. If they can't, they're like fifteen million in. You know, we'll see what happened with Holiday and what are with Jalen Brown and Derek White. I don't think they're trading either or those guys unless they get a ton for them. You know, they would have to be a crazy deal to do it. And you know, we'll see what happens with Louke Cornett now Horford, two of the most popular players in the free agent market this summer and two guys and I would not be surprised if they're playing elsewhere next season. Is things have shifted pretty dramatically in Boston's as Jason Tatum got.
Speaker 1: Hurt last thing.
Speaker 2: Tim, I'll say you lose because I do like in a sneaky way like this for the Calves, if Lonzo can stay healthy, as I'm knocking on wood because we know that for the past few years that's been difficult. But he got back last year thirty five to forty games, and you know, it looked pretty good. I think Isaacacorro's a decent player as well. But what do you make of the Cavs Bulls trade.
Speaker 3: I loved it for the Calves. I mean another trade where the Bulls give up a better player for a worse one and okay, draft picks. They've done it several times now the last couple of years. It's pretty remarkable. But for the Calves to get Lonzo, obviously it's worth the swing for them. I said, Carl cannot play in the playoffs. We have learned that very definitively. Uh, Lonzo can if he's able to stay healthy and h and as far as the the you know the other part of it too. It essentially became ty Jerome and Isaac Carrol swapped out for Sam Merrill who stayed there and and Lonzo, and I think that's trade is a good one for the Caves. Those two guys are are both solid defenders, they both can shoot the ball, they both can play on and off the ball. You know, I like to fit going forward, So I think that worked out for Cleveland and it's right as of right now you're looking at the Calves and the Knicks and then a whole lot of questions in the east.
Speaker 1: Jim, you're the man. Appreciate the time and the knowledge.
Speaker 2: On a Monday, excuse me, have a great week, but we'll get you back on soon.
Speaker 3: Sounds good, spence, Thanks man.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Timmy Bond Tams covers the NBA for ESPN does a really good job.
Speaker 1: Always enjoy when he can stop by.
Speaker 2: We will keep you up to date because the news is coming in fast and furious. If you're just hopping in your car and driving around town on this Monday afternoon, First of all, hello, how are you?
Speaker 1: Thank you for making this a part of your day.
Speaker 2: The Jazz have completed a buyout with Jordan Clarkson, and our very own Sarah Todd, who's a friend of the show, is reporting that the New York Knicks are the potential option there. There's a report that the Knicks are looking to sign Russell Westbrook. If a Nick signed Russell Westbrook and Jordan Clarkson, that would just be hilarious. The Jazz also traded Colin Section in a Charlotte for use if Nurkic. They had to attach a second round pick to Colin talked about it earlier. It just feels like they're clearing the deck for the young kids to play. I'm not sure that there's anything other than now Baiott.
Speaker 1: Has become official.
Speaker 2: Jordan Clarkson is a free agent. Sarah Todd front of the Shows, reporting she's here in the New York Knicks could be the landing spot for Jordan Clarkson first day of free agency.
Speaker 1: Man, and the news is coming fast and furious.
Speaker 2: Our next guest will help break it down for us, the great Tom Haberstrow on a Monday.
Speaker 1: Hey Tom, Happy Monday, buddy. How are we doing doing great man? How are you Well?
Speaker 2: We'll start with the jazz stuff and then we'll kind of move on from there. And let's just start with what I just referenced, Jordan Clarkson buyout. He is now free agent. And look, man, you and I have been talking about this for years. This was a candidate to be traded quite frankly every trade deadline over the past three years. But obviously no market for him. He's coming off two straight years whereas production is dipped. He's not as young as he once was and neither are any of us. But what do you make if the Jazz buying out Jordan Clarkson? And do you think the Knicks are a logical destination?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's really interesting because I think the market, you know, a guy like DeAndre eight and a former number one overall pick just worked out a buyout with the Portland Trailblazers in similar fashion where it seems like by the box score, this player on a trade market would have value. And Jordan Clarkson, you know, has been a serviceable spark plug for the Utah j As but as Seams Trownia pointed out on social media, and the report is he wants to join a contender. Obviously, the Knicks are a contender in the Eastern Conference, especially with the decimation of the top of the East with Tyree Halliburton, Damian Lillard of course, and Jason Tatum all having Achilles tears, that a team like the Knicks could have a hold a lot of appeal, especially because a lot of their half court offense really needed an injection last year when it got bobbed down or Jalen Brunson was in some sort of foul trouble and needed to be taken out of the game. They were relying Onduce McBride who signed, but he's not the kind of dynamic score that Jordan Clarson can be on and off the ball, So they get another guy in that if that ever were to partner up. But you know, the Utah Jazz are in a real state of transition here. As John Collins, Jordan Clarkson, Colin Sexton. Last year, we had been talking like if the Jazz could find some sort of draft capital and move off of those expiring contracts, I think they would entice those deals. But as you're seeing what the Colin Sexton move, not only did they not have a market for him in a trade straight up, but they had to put in a second round pick a twenty thirty in order to get off of Colin Sexton and bring in useif Nerkip So Jordan Clarkson is feeling the same kind of crunch that DeAndre Ayton had, is that a lot of these veteran deals, it's hard to move off of those and take on, you know, long term money. I think the Utah Jazz are trying to keep their books pretty clean going forward, and you're seeing this deal that they'd rather waive Jordan Clarkson rather than say, taking on another contract beyond this season. And so this plus the Jewsang waiver and then the Collin Sexton trade, it's clear that, you know, they were trying to figure out deals and ultimately they landed on Yusuf Nurkic with the Charlotte Hornet's a guy who is playing for the Blazers and then the Suns and then the Hornets, and they're trying to just kind of re rearrange this this this depth chart and figure out if they can, you know, basically clear out some room for mister Ace Bailey coming in next season.
Speaker 2: All right, you referenced the section and stuff, and let's move over to as in a moment and to your point. And I was a little surprised, Tom, because look, Colin Sexton isn't Alan Iverson, but he's not a bad player.
Speaker 1: He played pretty well here.
Speaker 2: This is a guy that's averaged twenty plus in the NBA at a prior stop, and in Cleveland he shot over forty from three about nineteen points a night, plays his tail off. I mean, that's kind of his mo Now doesn't guard, Neither do many of the guards.
Speaker 1: It's on Jazz, the Jazz roster.
Speaker 2: They're not great defensive players, not great size, but to have to attach a second and receive use of nurkicchen Return who just doesn't have the value that he once did, and it doesn't make a lot of sense here. Your point about the expiring money is definitely on point, for sure, and that's probably the motivation. And then ultimately we land in a spot where they're clearing more minutes for their young guards. But what did what did you make of that transaction between the Jazz and the Hornets.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just clearing out the lane for Ace Bailey. I think it's you get two guys, three guys, and you're saying, especially Sexon and Clarkson, is they need the ball in their hands to succeed. And I think when you look at the the addition of Ace Bailey and Clayton Junior, you're going to be wanting those guys to have the ball without any sort of confusion about their role.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: And I think Clarkson and Colin Sexton, we're both probably looking at this like, Hey, I'm not here for the rebuild another year of this and you got these young kids coming in, can you find us a home? And I think Jordan Clarkson the market was pretty tepid for his services in the trade market, but I think you'll have a much better time in a winning environment in New York on the timetable that he wants at his age. And you know, Yusuf Nurkic has really had a drop off considering you know, a few years ago he was part of that team that went to the Western Conference Finals. He was injured, but this team was you know, just a few years ago, he was averaging almost twenty points a game, twenty to ten for the Blazers. Now he's not the same player. He's now thirty years old. When you're looking at projecting a seven footer with his skill set, you're not going to be expecting much of a starter here. This is a backup role and it's essentially just balancing that depth chart again to make sure they get a little bit more depth at the center position and clear out the way for Walter Clinton Junior and of course Ace Bailey up in the at the guard position.
Speaker 2: We'll stick with the Jazz and you just referenced the two players, and they also drafted the Tanji kid in the second round, who actually can score it a little bit.
Speaker 1: We'll see if he sticks around.
Speaker 2: But you know, this is a tough one because I have experience living elsewhere, growing up elsewhere, and so I understand when.
Speaker 1: People say, well, Salt Lake is not this or that or whatever.
Speaker 2: But I've lived here for twenty five years, and just this whole shtick, this whole bit that this is like the worst place you could possibly exist as a young athlete gets so tiresome to me, and I look, to be honest, I don't know what's real. You know, I've been doing this long enough, been around this league long enough that I always know there's the messaging from a player or an agent, or a coach or a front office, and then there's actually what's really going on behind the scenes. I get all that, But there were some people, Tommy that were going as far as to say they didn't think Ace was even going to report, and you know, he didn't want to be here, and there was a report that his agent was asked to give a statement to ESPN and he refused. Again, I can't cooperate any of these things. But I'm reading preparing for the show, and all this, well, he reported on time.
Speaker 1: He could not have handled the presser better.
Speaker 2: It seems like a really sweet kid who, by all accounts is excited for this. Am I saying that's real, No, because I don't know, But what's your understanding of this narrative surrounding Ace and his camp, like they just did not want for him to be here in Utah playing for the Jazz Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think it's really about the camp and not necessarily about Ace Bailey. I look at the fact that he had a lack of a certified agent for much of this process in Omar Cooper that was guiding him in this process, and I think this is what you you know, you get what you pay for in the sense that there's a lot of confusion and misinformation and misreporting and someone says this, and someone says that, and you can't get your head on straight. And this is why you hire an agent that has credibility with the teams, that has rapport with the teams, and then you have one voice that is talking to not just the organization but also to the media to get the story straight. And so I think this is what was a real misstep by Ace Bailey. And he's nineteen years old. So he's a kid. If we all had to make decisions about this at nineteen years old, I'm not so sure we'd be as confident as we are and saying as adults looking back at him and being like, oh, I would have done things so much better and so much more mature than Ace Bailey. He's nineteen, And I think this is why you hire an agent with a lot of a lot of credibility and a lot of tenure with NBA front offices, so that you don't have to just have to deal with this fog of information and dealing with this report says this, that he's not reported, he doesn't want to report to Utah, et cetera, et cetera. I think he didn't handle the pre draft process as nimbly or as smartly as he should have. But I do think that once he gets to Utah and he's not this you know, kind of free agent, so to speak, I think a lot of that will go away, and that you have this organization with you know.
Speaker 3: Real.
Speaker 7: Reputable, successful front office and coaching staff that I think a lot of this will go away and wash away. Ace Bailey is a big swing if things move right, If things go in the direction where he reaches his ceiling and he fulfills his potential. This is an absolute home run swing. A number five pick that people think could be Tracy McGrady. I think he's more DeMar DeRozan where athlete loves the mid range and is a super young kid that has a lot of upside that is a hall of famer, a future Hall of Famer type. He's got to clean up a lot of the off court stuff. They followed him in this draft, But ultimately, when you see the press conference and you see the skill set, you can understand why the Utah Jazz are really excited about him. And I think he's in really good hands in Utah.
Speaker 2: The other decision they made in the first round, and you know we were talking about this a little bit earlier. I don't really have an issue like if you have identified, oh it's Walt. By the way, it's Walt Clayton Junior. He told us in his introductory press conference.
Speaker 1: He wants to be called Walt, so I will call him Walt, like if if you're Austin.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Brad Stevens had a funny line he said, I could have told you two years ago, Austin was going to trade up to draft wal Clayton Junior. So Austin has always liked this kid for sure. And look, if you've identified a player as someone that you think can be your starting lead guard for maybe a decade or more, go get them, right.
Speaker 1: I have no issue with that.
Speaker 2: They did have to attach three second round picks and give twenty one to Washington just to move up three spots to gain Walton Clayton Junior, but there was some intel that was leaked that Miami wanted him at twenty. They went with the Yakachana's kid from Illinois. But what did you make of the decision making process by the Jazz to go up and get their guy, wal Clayton Junior.
Speaker 7: Yeah. What's interesting is players that win championship the NCAA Championship, win the tournament are actually slightly undervalued in the draft. For a while there, you know, the Shabbaz Napiers of the world. We kind of thought that those guys on a big run in the tournament were actually overvalued. But recently we've seen a lot of these players actually exceed expectations at the next level. And so a guy like wal Clayton.
Speaker 6: He is really.
Speaker 7: Talented and also as a winner and an All American last year at Florida. I got a chance to watch him when the Jordan Classic came to Charlotte, and he was great. You could see that he had an NBA future and certainly played himself into a first round pick this season with the Utah Jazz, who a team that is really searching for their point guard of the future, and he's going to be in the running with Isaiah Collier and Kant George. I thought there was some potential that maybe you could see the Utah Jazz trade up to get Dylan Harper as their lead guard of the future. But I mean Walt Clayton. He's he's legit. He's really good. And if you watch Florida this postseason, this this this kid could play. He's a flat out baller and he draws a lot of comparisons to Jalen Brunson for good reason. He's got great footwork and he wants the ball in crunch time. And so I can't hate on this pick, especially considering a lot of the players that you would think would be late first rounders actually moved out of the draft and stayed in college. And so if you like a guy like Walter Clayton and you want to pay you know, three second round picks to go get him, I'm cool with that, especially when you show what Joe Dumars did in the draft to trade basically, excuse me, basically two first round picks. They had the swap ability of THEIRS and Milwaukee, and they traded Atlanta the future first round pick next year from New Orleans or Milwaukee to move up ten spots. I'm fine with what Utah.
Speaker 1: Did, all right.
Speaker 2: So you know, I often say if everybody has the same opinion of something, I tend to be a little skeptical. I just think I've always been cynical that way, and I like to zig when people zag. But what what? Maybe maybe Derek Queen's awesome. I don't know, maybe he's All the Famer, maybe he's an All Star? What what are they thinking? Tom like man like to help me understand. Is there any zigging to this zag? Is there any justification for the move they made?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 7: I mean, unless Derek Queen is the second coming of you know, Karl Malone or Kevin Garnett, I can't understan here's the problem with that logic. If you think he is that guy, then you take him at seven, right, Like, if you think Derek Queen is that guy, you make sure I'm gonna take him at seven for sure, bird in the hand. If I really think he's that good, I don't even have to give up the next year first round pick to go get that guy. So it's just it's just baffling, especially in sequence of the fact that they traded for Jordan Poole and that dude has not been a winner in his own situation as a lead guy. And so I mean, what is New Orleans thinking? Is the right question? I don't know when you look at Kyrie Irving how he became a Cleveland Cavalier. It's because the Clippers and Neil O'Shea did not have the foresight to think, oh man, we should put some protections on this first round pick. We'll give up an unprotected first round pick to acquire Mote Williams from Cleveland and you can have this salary dump and Baron Davis, it's fine, how bad could this get? And it turns out that Cleveland jumped up with that Clippers pick and it landed at number one, and that's how the Cleveland Cavaliers ended up with Kyrie Irving, who hit one of the biggest shots in franchise history, if not the biggest shot in franchise history, to win them a championship. You look at Jason Tatum and how the Boston Celtics drafted Jason Tatum, Well, it was because of a pick swap. They were able to get the number one overall picks through Brooklyn in that KG Paul Pierceteele. They got a pick swap and they didn't get it protected from Brooklyn didn't protect that pick. It ended up going number one and they traded down to number three with the Philadelphia seventy six ers, who also were drafting at number three because of an unprotected pick swap, they moved from five to three as a result of the trade where Nick Stauskis was being traded by Vonde Divots. He just got the job with the Vekrono Dbey with the Sacramento Kings and they got off of some money and they're like, oh yeah, we're desperate to get off of this money. We'll give you a twenty twenty seventeen pick swap unprotected. How bad could it be, And it turns out it ended up being the number three pick, and that ended up being Jason Tatum. So these pick swaps, these have huge value, especially when you look at Gianni Senda Decompo and his trade limbo. He could not be on the Milwaukee Bucks next year, and when you see the injuries that happened in today's NBA, these unprotected picks are super valuable. And Joe Dumars and that front office, they decided to give up a super first one that could be swapped out. If the New Orleans pick is later than the Milwaukee pick, they can swap and make sure that they get the Milwaukee pick in the case that Milwaukee bottoms out next season. It's it's it's baffling to me. If you wanted Derek Queen, are in love with Derek Queen, then take him at number seven. You know, trading next year's first round pick unprotected swap is baffling to me. And the other thing I want to say here is, you know Troy Weaver, the former Detroit Pistons GM that got fired and then spent last year with the Wizards. It seems like he has a thing for the DC area. Guys. Of course, he trades for Jordan Poole, who was on the Wizards last year. And secondly, his son, Troy Weaver's son was the Maryland Terrapins grad assistant for Derek Queen. Derreck Queen was a star for the Maryland Terrapins last year. And the word is is that Troy Weaver was in on every practice with the Maryland Terrapins and was at most of their games last year in the DC area and now trades up to go get his guy. It seems like this is getting a little ridiculous, the fascination with Wizards or Wizards adjacent players, especially when they won eighteen games last season. I'm not sure what they're doing in New Orleans, but it's certainly something that other teams are gonna be calling New Orleans to try to pilfer all of their assets that they have going forward.
Speaker 1: All Right, what's next, Tom, what's the domino?
Speaker 2: What's the next transaction that we're all waiting to hear that you think is actually real? Is there some Yanna stuff out there still? What he thinks next?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 7: The Yannest thing is interesting because the Kevin Durant sweepstakes ended up with the Houston Rockets retaining all of their high assets like they still have They still have on Men Thompson, they still have Reed Shepherd, they have Jabbari Smith locked in long term, they have their Phoenix first round picks, and so I suspect that we're going to hear a lot more about the Yana situation in the next week or so, because he hasn't come out either. Okay, Jannis hasn't said I'm sticking here for the long term.
Speaker 3: I like what I'm.
Speaker 7: Seeing from the Milwaukee Bucks this offseason. I'm here for the long haul. I want to retire a Milwaukee Bucks.
Speaker 1: He has not said that.
Speaker 7: He also has an asked for a tray and San Antonio picks Dylan Harper, and you don't see them moving out of that pick because I think they want to keep it in case Janna Fandi Docobo hops onto the market and they can move Dylan Harper potentially in a trade for Giannis. I don't think it's likely that Jannis becomes available this offseason, but I do think that the biggest headline is that DeAndre Ayton Jake Fisher is reporting at the sideline that he just gave up ten million dollars in a baya with the Blazers, which sets him up to make about ten million dollars and not losing a penny off his next deal. So let's say the Lakers, with their mid level exception that is up to fourteen million dollars, they go, hey, DeAndre Ayden, we would like to have you as a lost Sangelis Laker, and we'll give you ten million of our our taxpayer mid level, our non taxpayer mid level. Deadre Aden could become a Laker. Maybe Brook Lopez wants the full fourteen million dollars and DeAndre Aiden, former number one overall pick, can become a Laker. That's the next thing that I'm looking forward to is what happens with the Lakers and that vacancy at the center position, because of course Jackson Hayes lost so much clout with JJ Reddick that they went basically small for the entire series against the Minnesota Timberwolves. I'm interested to see what they do there, especially now that Lebron James is opted in and kind of delayed this Lebron, this Luka doncic Era one more season. Very interesting stuff coming out of the Lakerland, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Tom last thing, I'll set you loose.
Speaker 2: I know you wrote on this, so Malik Beasley was a jazz man for a minute.
Speaker 1: Didn't you last that long?
Speaker 2: And you know what, we talked about this when the Johntay Porter stuff came out. And I know that you have done some digging and these two investigations aren't necessarily the same.
Speaker 1: So we'll unpack it a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm honestly surprised this isn't happening more with how easy this is and accessible it is to gamble on sports. But Malik Beasley is being investigated allegations of gambling related to NBA games and prop bets. Okay, so that's kind of out there. You've done some digging. Now unpacked this for us before I set you loose.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Tom Thefinder dot com if you want to read more, but I'll give you what I've found so far and kind of tease, you know, as the story progresses. But Malik Beasley is being investigated, and according to ESPN dot COM's David Purdham, is there's one game in particular that has drawn the attention of the sports betting community is January thirty first, in the Damian Lillard return game. This was in twenty twenty four when he was with the Milwaukee Bucks. There was a lot of unusual betting activity around his rebounding unders the player props meaning he was supposed to be you know, the line was at two and a half rebounds, and there's a lot of betting actions and on the under, meaning that he wouldn't reach two and a half rebounds, you'd have zero, one or two. And what's interesting about that game is that he had six rebounds, and so it's a real like wrench in this whole story is that there's suspicious betting activity or unusual betting activity around a game where the bet would actually lose. The other thing that's really interesting here. And I watched the film and there wasn't really anything suspicious about that game from what I could tell. But what's interesting is I think this is a big story. And you said, I'm not. I'm surprised it's not happening more often, And I'm with you. Like Malik Beasley, you might say, hey, this guy makes six million dollars a year. Why would be you know, potentially throwing his career away over a couple vets. Well, you know, when these are allegations they are not pressing charges to Malik Beasley was taking a ninety percent pay cut in that season. He went from a sixteen million dollar contract to a two million dollar contract. I don't care who you are, A ninety percent pay cut, no matter any walk of life or standard of living is going to be really hard to stomach. And I think that is a big story here is that Johontay Porter was a fringe NBA player and this guy was making multimillions in the NBA. And still I think there's a potential for financial vulnerability if you have guys losing ninety percent of their income in one year. And so Malik Beasley was making sixteen million dollars the previous season and in this season that's being under scrutiny. He only was making two million dollars and that was one of the biggest pay cuts league wide. And I think the NBA needs to keep a close eye on these financially potentially financially vulnerable players that would have an incentive to make ends meet if they are maintaining their standard of living and the budget and the houses and the cars and all the other expenses that come with the sixteen million dollars annual salary. It's a really interesting story and because of free agency, it's getting buried here. But make no mistake about it. This is a huge, huge story, and we'll see what happens with the investigation. No presses have been charged, No charges have been pressed yet, but we'll see in the coming weeks here on the Elik Beasley.
Speaker 2: Story, Tomthefinder dot Com. Tom, thanks for the time, buddy, Keep up the great work and we'll chat too. You got a spence, all right, the great Tom Harberstrow weekly guest of ours to talk all things NBA. Yeah, Malik Beasley's in a little hot water here, so it's a it's a federal investigation. As Tom referenced, this was when he was with the Bucks, so not when he was here with the Jazz. But uh yeah, this could do. John Tay Porter, I believe he was banned for life from the NBA. So if anything comes down, we will bring that to you. Adam Sandler is coming to the Delta Center on October twenty sixth, twenty twenty five. That's his share ticket turn on sale now. Text Farley the three three nine eighty six for your chance to win. Porter would you mind efforting the Sandman.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll get in.
Speaker 1: Thank you Baby. In studio, We'll try.
Speaker 2: Okay, not just for h Adam Sandler is not in studio, but an old friend is in studio.
Speaker 1: We haven't seen her for a while. Amy Donaldson from Kassel, How are you, Amy.
Speaker 8: I'm good. I've probably seen every Adam Sandler movie, not because I'm a fan, because I had Stepson's Sure.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Indeed, there's like a generational gap between Sandler. Like people my age think he's funny, and I feel like the younger people just are kind of out on him because he's made so many bad movies.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's right. I think it's I think there might be a little bit also of a gender gap for mister Sandler, although his recent affection for Taylor Swift because he has daughters, has brought him I think into the into the fold a bit. So there are some women now who are given given some movies.
Speaker 2: A chance O that didn't age very well, I guess back from back in the day type of stuff.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't think they've seen water Boy water one of his was the one what was the one where he was in the where he wasn't he had to go back to like elementary school or something.
Speaker 1: Billy Madison. Billy Madison was great.
Speaker 8: That was the one that my step sons loved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what do you bet u? Let's get an update. We were just talking off air. You've been traveling. I follow your Instagram. You're all over the place these days.
Speaker 8: I have and haven't been very dedicated. I retweeted and re share what so other people are doing. But I went to Australia for a month and uh hung out with my My kid moved there last year and so I went there and the first two weeks ed was with me, so we had to go one of the we wanted. He's a huge snorkeler, beach guy. Yeah, he loves I mean he I he considered like actually diving. But we didn't have a ton of time, so which sounds funny because we're there a month or I was there a month, he was only there two weeks. But so we did snorkel in the Great Barrier reef and go out to some islands. And I just love learning, I mean just especially like the mangroves, Like the nature is just so fascinating to me. And a beach entirely made of fish poop. It's and it's the most amazing, beautiful place you've ever been.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's super cool. So but yes, we did that. And then he's a huge Mad Max fan. This one oh cool?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 8: So Mad Max two was filmed in a place called Brooken Hill, Australia, and everybody knows who knows Mad Max knows that is an Australian film in origin. So uh. We went out to the museum out there, and everyone thought we were crazy because it's in the middle of nowhere. But it looked I'll tell you this, it was so it was like going to Delta, Utah. Really, it looked so familiar. I loved it so much. It's super cool town. A lot of Aboriginal people live out there, a lot of old miners. I mean I miners are my family, Park City roots. So yeah, it was super fun and the museum was amazing. And then we went back to that I had, uh, I had a pretty vicious case of food poisoning just as we arrived in Broken Hill. So we went back to our hotel room and watched Mad Max two.
Speaker 1: Do you know what you ate? Yes?
Speaker 8: I do. It was a spice chicken wrap from the airport.
Speaker 1: Oh, that shouldn't do it. Spicy chicken should be safe.
Speaker 8: Well, I guess we just say that I have not eaten chicken since, and I'm not so sure I can eat a wrap.
Speaker 1: And take a little bit of a break.
Speaker 2: And then you were assisting your sister, who is a ultra marathon runner, try to get through a race in Alaska.
Speaker 8: Yeah, she was running d Nali one thirty five, and I agreed to be a pacer. I said I could maybe give you fifty miles, but she got pretty sick about oh fifty miles in made it about fifteen more miles, and then after about the halfway point we called it. We so we more so called it. I would say. My mom and my dad and I collaborated to convince her because I don't know if you know an ultrarunner, but they're not. They don't want to quit.
Speaker 1: They'll die.
Speaker 2: I've got a couple of buddies I've not like whenever they're telling me what, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, what are you doing it?
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm not a good ultra runner because I will quit. Yeah, I'm not. I want to hike another day. You want to live, I mean, and I like, I guess for me, the experience like walking through into your Alaska with my sister in the you know, the middle and it's not dark, like it never gets black in the summer, right, so it's like eleven twelve at night and it looks kind of like dusk and it's just the most beautiful place. I just for me, that was so odd inspiring. I was like, this is the thing. It's not the finish. I mean, she was trying to go for that would have been her second finish and made her the first woman to ever finish it twice. So she was pretty bummed. And I find o my sister she'll be signing up for that race again because she's not really good about quit. But congratulations to my sister. I have to give her congratulations. Say she was just promoted to lieutenant. Cool teaches at the public Safety in South Carolina the state.
Speaker 1: Good for her for the state, all right, Amy.
Speaker 2: I was excited to see you on the rundown because a couple of things going on that I want to get your perspective on.
Speaker 1: And you know we were talking.
Speaker 2: I had Tim bond Tom's Tim Bontem's excuse me on earlier from ESPN, and this the way the Ace Bailey story was covered. And I want to be clear, I don't know what's true and I don't know what's not. I mean, you and I have done this long enough where you know that you get messaging from players, you get messaging from agents, you get messaging from coaches in front off, and then there's what's really going on behind the scenes that they don't want to say out loud. So there could be several levels here. And I'm one like you that grew up elsewhere, but it's made saw Lake and adopted home and it's basically been my home for twenty five years. I don't think that's changing anytime soon, but I guess.
Speaker 3: You never know.
Speaker 2: And I can get a little defensive when I hear people talk about our market, certainly juxtaposed with places like Cleveland or Oklahoma City or San Antonio, Like I just prefer saw Lake over a lot.
Speaker 1: Of the NBA markets that I've been to over the course of my life.
Speaker 2: And maybe I'm biased here, so the whole thing comes out like, oh wait, it's not as preferred destination. And there were even people who said out loud, he's not going to report. He doesn't want to be there. He refused to work out for any team. There was a report that he actually told not a So I want to be clear, this is his reps. Told one team in the top five do not draft him. He's not reporting and obviously wasn't the Jazz because he showed up on time, he did a great job with his press conference, had his introductory dinner, and he seems like a sweet.
Speaker 1: Kid, is excited and durable, right yeah, So what's your take on this entire dynamic.
Speaker 8: Well, I think it's a collision of everybody wants to have a scoop and everybody hates us. It's our insecurities coupled with this twenty four hour news cycle where everybody wants to know something special. Everybody wants to give you something that you can't get anywhere else. I had the scoop. I mean I see it a little bit. Well, we see it on all these bigger stories, right, a little bit on the rets left thing in the last we'll get there the last twenty four hours. But yeah, so I think there. I mean, we're competitive people report I'm talking about journalists, and we want the inside story. You want something when you're going to these press conferences and everybody's getting the same you know, pablum. We want something different, so you're trying to talk different people get different things. And I will say this, nowhere in my journalism career has there been more irresponsible speculation than in sports journalism.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 8: There are people I once traced there was some rumors going around on a story, and I started to call the people who were reporting them and say, you know, and I know everybody, I said, I'm not reporting, I want to know. I'm trying to figure out the roots of this thing, where this idea, where this information came from right? And what ended up happening was it was a circle. So somebody was quoting somebody else, but if you traced it around, they were quoting each other. It's like if you and I told each other the rumor that we heard and were confirmed it for each other, and then we both go out and say it's been confirmed by a source for we are each other's source. We don't know anything. So that's what happened. So once that and that happened, I think it was around twenty twelve did that happened? So very early in my sports career, especially once I started getting out of high school sport when you're talking about Olympic sports or college sports. Definitely in the pro people want I mean, that's your bread and butter. Being being the guy or the girl with information is how you make your name. And some people are reliable about that, and they're very careful about that, and they check and second check, and some people say things out of turn, you know, but yeah, I my experience, because I come from a news background, is if you don't know, I'm not going to quote you, even if you tell me something really solid. I know some really solid things I've never reported because I don't have a source on them. And I believe the people, but I just don't I don't have a firsthand source on it. So I think it was And then I think there's this natural and I think it's somewhat become a narrative in professional sports, especially the NBA a little bit in college. I mean, it happened with AJ when he committed to Uya, right, Why would anyone want to go there? It's Utah, right, you know, what have they done? Who are they? Why do you want to be there? They're and also ran they they exist but they exist for us to beat them on the way to something else.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: It's like they call flyover states the center of the country. We are a flyover place in sports, and so there is this narrative and we are all super defensive about it, including our reporters here, and then these things all collide. Everybody's looking for information. Somebody repeats a rumor, somebody says it. Everybody's scrambling. I heard this, You got a boss, I've had this happen to me. You get a call from your boss at ten o'clock on a Friday. Somebody else is reporting this. What do you know? I don't know anything, And then it saying I don't know as a reporter is like the worst thing ever, But it's the truth sometimes because sometimes there's not anything to know. And I don't know if an agent or somebody was trying to stir up some interest or like again, how these things happen, We don't know. I didn't I wasn't doing initial reporting. I heard these rumors coming out, and I saw journalists saying, another person who doesn't want to come to Utah. This guy will be gone in four years, you know, all these things, and I assume they don't know anything because they're not in these rooms having these conversations. I thought, I'm just gonna wait, I've learned and see what happens with the kid, and couldn't have been nicer. Showed up, did his thing, you know, I mean, it happens every time, but I think it's just the collision of two really bad you know, sort of the insecurity coupled with this idea that like everybody's got to have that scoop, you know, Yeah, I know something you don't know, you know, right.
Speaker 2: I wonder what because again, without knowing exactly what's real and what's not, I will say that I like that Austin just took him like, all right, maybe you don't want to be here, but we think you're the guy, and we're this is the best player available at five because I do feel like there's been this undercurrent of fear tied into certain decision making. And I actually wondered, and again, if we operate off the assumption, which is never.
Speaker 1: A smart thing to do.
Speaker 2: But there was so much noise around Utah not being aces preferred destination and so much reporting over the twenty four hour news cycle that I'm inclined to believe there's something there.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's with Ace.
Speaker 2: I do think it's with this agent of his who isn't even like he doesn't have his right Well, he didn't have the paperwork file to be like an actual agent when Ace first hired him, So he's new with this and he's probably trying to figure it out. So if there's even a sliver of truth to it, you know, the Jazz had that intel. But I like that Austin just said we're drafting him. We think he's the best player.
Speaker 8: But I also think Austin is savvy enough and everybody else at the Jazz that if it were true, if it felt true to them, I don't they're going to have conversations about that before they draft him. They're not. I've this has happened before, where there's been a trade rumored or there's been an acquisition floated, right, and there's been open resistance to coming here. Those are conversations you have to have because the last thing you want to do is trade for it, is use your pick on somebody who's going to then blow up your whatever your planet. Right, that didn't happen, So that lead if you say it was like some sliver of truth, some rumor got blown up into something else, or somebody said something offhand and it got somebody ran with it. Whatever happened, whatever the rumor mill was doing, and whoever was doing it, I firmly believe, or at least I have this much faith in Austin Age, and that is that he had some conversations with people about whether or not or how much of that was true, or it may it may have been as simple as this that someone said, you're probably going to go to Utah, or it looks like you might be going to Utah, and he's like, Utah, I don't know where the heck that place is. I wanted to go to X who he's eighteen, right, I could totally see that happening. Sure, and then that begets all these other things he's not going to do. He didn't work out for anybody they're looking for. And this is where brains work, you know, we look for evidence that were right. This is why we have the politics we have. You don't hear all the information, You hear your whatever bias you have, that whatever confirms that for you.
Speaker 1: Echo Chambers.
Speaker 8: Yes, and so I think that's somewhat, but I mean it's happened so often. I believe, I mean, and I watched the press conferences, one hundred percent believe that we're there if there was a whiff of this before, there were conversations that were had, so that even if there was reluctance, it was understood what that reluctance was about, and so whatever whatever was going on, if it was nothing, I mean I heard some music, it was nothing or whatever. How many times have we been the purveyors of an offense comment. I mean, I've been there when something like that's been said and people run with it, and I think you got to be kidding me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a joke.
Speaker 8: Or you know, or that was just the reaction. Yeah, and again the way things are now, this kid is eighteen, right, like you have kid. I have a kid. I hope nobody's holding my kid to what she says.
Speaker 1: You know for sure.
Speaker 8: Sometimes me, sometimes I have a reaction like what I mean, there are so many things in a meeting or wherever where you're like, your initial reaction is that's stupid, I don't want that whatever, But like give people room to get educated and to get information into maybe evolved, but I was super impressed with the press commerence. I liked all the picks. I thought it was really fun. I have tickets to the Summer League with my grandson and nephews, so we're going to go. And my nephew, who's an airmanette Hill Air Force Base, has been in a depressive state since the lottery. Oh sure, texted me immediately, all caps and is beside himself with joy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, good good.
Speaker 8: However it works out, we're going to enjoy it well.
Speaker 1: And the only time will tell. I.
Speaker 2: You know, when it comes to what I feel is really unfair messaging about the jazz and Utah and Salt Lake, it just makes it hard for those guys to do their jobs when they've got to answer all these questions misconceptions like no, it's not that weird here, and again, you and I both grew up elsewhere. I'm aware of the oddities that exists here. I've never ran from them.
Speaker 1: They are real. Okay, it doesn't make it a horrible place to live.
Speaker 2: You just have to find out how you traverse the space, and you know, respect the culture that essentially is intertwined in everything that we do here, Whether you like it or not, but it just it makes their job so hard when they've got to do this all the time. Like another kid doesn't want to come here, another player doesn't want.
Speaker 1: Us to trade for him.
Speaker 2: Dennis Lindsay went on a podcast last year and said that he had a trade done for a star forward I know who is Kevin Love. He had a trade done for Kevin Love, and Kevin Love's agent called him and said, don't do this. He will not come live in Salt Lake, he will not report.
Speaker 1: And so if.
Speaker 2: Austin kind of has this attitude, and again to your point, conversation certainly took place that were not privy to. But if he's just going to go all in and be like, look, we're drafting you, we're trading for you. And then you know with Ace, they have seven years, okay, your rookie contract four years, then you'll pick up the option for the final three unless he wants to be traded. We saw with Donovan Gordon left. You know, we do have the PTSD of players that we really latched onto leaving here. But no, if you're Austin Age, if you're Danny, if you're Justin Zanik, if you're Ryan and Ashley said, no, we think you're the best player, and we have seven years to show you that you can accomplish anything you want here in Salt Lake.
Speaker 1: Just go about it unafraid.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I think they knew they know something about these players that we don't. They know more about their background, their histories, what their other interests are, because these are human beings. They're not like, they're not commodities, right right, And it's not so simple as to say, look at the stat sheet, you know, and look at what we need and let's go for this. I'm sure there was a lot of other input about how his personality, how you know, what kind of I mean, he's by all accounts everything I could read, he's a super gym rat I mean, are honest to god. He reminded me a lot of Karl Malone. You know, this idea that like, I got something to prove and what makes what makes it more, what will feed that more, is being in a place that has something to prove.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, good point.
Speaker 8: I think they're I mean Carl Kyle would which, by the way, there's another guy who's had rumors floated every single year that he's retiring, right but Kyle Whittingham is bread and butter, is getting people to believe that no matter what, no matter who's on the rust or no matter what they're ranked, no one respects them, right and in sports, that can be a huge, huge, huge bonus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, for sure. So we'll see, we'll see, we'll see how it works out. All right.
Speaker 2: You referenced the Jake rehetzl Jake Rehetzlaf story. We'll get to a catch or break and then we'll do that coming up on the other side. The civil lawsuit has been dismissed and Jake, according to Pete Thamil, has plans to transfer because he believes he's going to face the seven game suspension for violating the school's honor code. So we'll get to that with more local storylines as well. Amy Donaldson live in studio for another big segment coming up on the other side. Right here on ESPN seven hundred, Amy Donaldson is.
Speaker 1: Live in studio.
Speaker 2: I always appreciate Amy's time world traveler back on the ground watching any RSL soccer.
Speaker 1: I know you've been traveling, You've been watching any ANRSL.
Speaker 8: I did. We didn't watch the most recent game, but the game before and yeah, I'm when I got back, Like I said, I feel like I was living in another world, especially because rugby is so huge in Australia. Well, you were there for a month and they have this thing, this origins game where it's super cool. Actually, so all these professional players go back to their club teams, kind of like if all these NFL players went back to their colleges and they had a little tournament, oh like in East West East versus West, or like, they go back to these rivalries and it's a huge deal. I had to kind of get an education about like who the rug like because my daughter in law's family is so like, you can't cheer for the wrong team.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 8: And then of course, so my daughter and I were in this place called Cans. She was there for some training. That's when one of the origin games was. The women's was the day before we saw part of it, but we went with a bunch of people from the training, a bunch of social workers. We go to this pub and watch rugby and it was a blast. And yeah, I just I love for me the cultural aspect. Like I watched the gold medal game in the twenty sixteen Olympics in Brazil.
Speaker 1: Rugby, Brazil, no soccer.
Speaker 8: They So Brazil was playing in the gold medal game in the twenty sixteen Olympics in Rio Macarini Stadium, and I'd been to one of the semi round games and then in a pool game at Macarena with our buddy Chris Cameroni.
Speaker 1: Very nice.
Speaker 8: That was when I was live using periscope and showing video of my ride and somebody flashed me. So that was cool. Yeah, that was super cool. Learned my lesson about live video and so but I decided on the gold medal night, listen, I want to go. And these people Brazil had not won a gold medal in the Olympics in their sport, I mean soccer. There the number of leagues, the number of teams, it's just ridiculous. And so I went down. They had this pier. They had these amazing TVs on the edge. I don't know how they were massive. They were like a drive in movie theater, size four of them in different locations. And I just ate Brazilian food and hung out and talked to people and just soaked up the atmosphere and to me, like the cultural aspect of sports is as interesting as what's happening in the game. Why did they win? Because I know that's what everyone expects from a sports writer, and so I was tempted to do that. It's so hard to not, you know, to not be there for the gold medal game. But I am so glad I did it. It was really incredible, and especially because these are people who they couldn't afford a ticket, so they're not in the stadium, right and maybe they've never been inside Macarina Stadium, but they've been to the parties outside and yeah, and so I think it was a little bit of that. I love when I go somewhere to just even if I don't know the teams, I don't know what's happening. And of course you get into it, right, Like I got into an argument with a guy about whether or not there was there should have been a foul. I'm like, oh my god, you're such a home or it wasn't a foul, you know, So and again I keep saying, I'm like, I'm not biased, so my opinion is right. But but you know, I covered rugby seven's in at the Olympics and a little bit of rugby here with the Utael Warriors. So I know the game and know the rules, I should say, but so much fun and everybody plays. I mean, little girls are getting their stuff to go to their footy practices. My little grand adopted grandson over there, my daughter in law's nephew. He's my little grand baby too. Now he's playing or soccer on one field with his buddies. And adjacent is these little kids playing rugby. Everybody plays. It's so huge, it's so I mean, my daughter has signed up for Who's this is a kid I could not get to play sports? Like she did cross country running and I coached her in soft for two years and she's like, this is not my game. She played little kids soccer, but yeah I did not. But she's playing in a rugby tournament, you know A yeah, so it's just a huge, huge I did do a CrossFit competition while I was there in Australia. Yeah, so my kid, don't listen. Your kids will rope you into stuff.
Speaker 1: Well do you just.
Speaker 8: You're so desperate to be with your children when you're an adult, right, Like, so they say, do you want to take me to lunch? You'll buy lunch for them because you want to be with them, right. So my kid was like, I want to do this CrossFit thing. We need a third Do you think you could do it? And I was like sure, I've been lifting weights and I do waits twice twice a week. You know our old people waits. So she sends me the workout and I was like, this is going to be hard. So I really I put my mind to it for a solid month. I worked really hard. We get there, and what I learned is that's one of the workouts. It's across the competition. There is a series of workouts, and that was one. I thought that was the whole thing. In fact, when they said you have to climb a rope and touch the ceiling, I just looked at my husband and was like, what is happening? Where are we?
Speaker 1: It's a big ass.
Speaker 8: And then I started assessing I was the oldest by fifteen years, and I was like, this is not happening. But I'm telling you there is something about your competitiveness never goes away. Because they told me what we had as a team, we would have to do these burpies. If I didn't do the rope climb, oh, my whole team has to do it. And I was like, I'm not penalizing my team. I did the rope climb, I broke, I did it. Yeah. So but yeah, it was super fun and now I'm super I want to watch more rugby. It was really fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And your point about the cultural significance of things that are away from the competition, I find to be very applicable for sports like rugby or soccer that I just wasn't raised with. Right, Like when we first brought oursell here on two thousand and four, I've told you very lukewarm to the whole endeavor. I'm like, what are you doing? Soccer doesn't work? And like I told my father, I'm like, this is a bad idea. You know that Now obviously he was right.
Speaker 1: I was wrong.
Speaker 2: And my friends who were soccer fans still soccer fans, you know, they all said the same thing. You've got to go overseas. You've got to see something in the Premiership. You got to go to Germany. You got to see what it's like over there. And my first eye opening, oh wow, okay soccer means everything to these people was seeing a Tottenham game in London, you know, seeing a Premiership game, Because I think we have some parallels here. You and I have talked about like football is our soccer, football is America's soccer. But like, I don't even know that that doesn't baseball.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think I grew up more with baseball, but you know, and when I was a kid boxing, my dad was super big into boxing. I mean, I think it's probably whatever you grow up around, right, like whatever, but baseball was the thing, and I do think there's a big cal I mean, and then when I went to high school in Alaska, hockey is bigger than football. I mean, like I can't it's hard to imagine, but all the cute girls wanted to be hockey cheerleaders, right, And I was like, why would you want to wear skirt and a hockey arena?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 8: Yeah, but you know, we took hockey for pe Like there was just this culture of toughness and like eighty blow, Well let's play hockey, you know outside we need to have you know, I don't need gloves, you know. It It was and there is this whole cultural you know. Watching the gold medal game between the USA and Canada here in Salt Lake in two thousand and two, yeah, one of the greatest. That was one of the greatest sports experience in my life totally because I had done a previews, I had done the story about the scalpers outside, so I just was My assignment was sit and enjoy the game. So I just watched the game. I did end up writing a feature about Wayne Gretzky Canada one, but that was the last minute call from the boss. I was just sitting at center eyes, eating my cinnamon covered nuts, thinking, like, I've guided gun in heaven because you grow up with this culture of like we would play hockey on any surface, like we would fall down one thousand times because the ice was so crappy, but there's this toughness that comes with it that and that was in the women's game too. It was just so much fun. So yeah, I love watching sports in other countries and other cultures. And again the difficulty is understanding what was happening, but being with people. If you understand the game a little bit or even.
Speaker 1: Though the rules, there's nothing like it, no, for sure.
Speaker 2: And I was actually talking about this with Pablo last week because Diego Diego Luna, who has been the lone bride spot for this soccer club, that just can't figure it out.
Speaker 8: Not lone bright Spot, I mean Johnny Russell. When I came back and found out that Johnny Russell had come to RSL, I was like, wait, what, Yeah, but that's one of those things that could be cultural, right sure. And then the two games I think I've seen him score is two goals goals. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so the reason I'm bringing up the Diego I was announced last week, right before Pablo jumped on the show, that Diego was named it All Star. Yeah, for the second straight year. And then you pull up the list Diego will be playing in that game next to Lino Messi, and I fully admit that I don't think I have frame of reference for what that means in the ecosystem of who Messi is in the game of soccer, world football.
Speaker 8: But imagine being Diego.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying, Like it's Michael Jordan, it's Tiger Woods, But that might not even do a justice with how big the sport of soccer is worldwide, and most people believe he is the greatest that's ever done it.
Speaker 1: It's a really cool thing.
Speaker 8: Well, and I just saw someone made a TikTok about Diego when he broke his nose. Yeah, and I don't know if you saw this, but he said, like, if this is the mentality of our US men's team, this is he said, this is American and you know, and I thought, it is that like we love that sort of you know, as much as we love the like wolf, you know, individual is rugged individualism type of thing. When it meets that, I'm not I won't quit. I can have a broken nose, put a put a rag up my nose, and send me back in the coach game, you know that that idea. I saw people going nuts and he's like all these floppers and you know, fakers and whatever, and then we got this guy. It's like, that's actually like that is a thing. That's a crossover because that's one of the reasons people love football so much. My dad loved about boxing. Is you get, as I used to say, losing in football is so painful because it's so painful. You know, you don't just lose. You don't just walk off and say that was humiliated. You also then feel it in every bone and ligament in your body for the next week. But but that that was I thought that was an ines. I thought, oh, this is this is that moment. I'm looking for that, like where Americans see themselves in an international game, or they see themselves in players who are steeped in this international games culture before we.
Speaker 1: Move off of RSL.
Speaker 2: I'm just realizing, because you've been away for so long that I don't think I've talked to you about the ownership transition.
Speaker 1: The Millers are now the majority. You know, we may have, we may.
Speaker 8: Have discussed a little bit because I went out to the press conference.
Speaker 1: That's right, That's right, we did a little bit.
Speaker 8: I think it's super exciting. I think I told the Larry Miller stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: It also appears to be a bit of a paradigm shift. Now I've had three different RSL guests with three different messaging, and you know, three different messages about this.
Speaker 1: It was kind of funny because.
Speaker 2: Pablo joined the show, and I always complain when RSL sells great players that they've developed, like why can't they play for us? I understand the economic value Andres Gomez proof of concept twelve thirteen million, you know, goes over to I get it, But like Diego is the guy that I do not want to see go anywhere he's so bright and he's so young. So Pablo hops on the show and he's like, hey, we're not looking to sell our young players anymore. Jason hopped on the show and he's like, Wow, that's not entirely true, and then Kurt kind of eco Jason sediment.
Speaker 1: But it does appear.
Speaker 2: With Steve Stark's and the Miller family now running things, there might be a bit of a paradigm shift where if we develop some of these young players through the academy and they turn out to be good players for the senior team, maybe they'll be around here for the long at least that's my hope.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I think that paradigm shift you're talking about has something to do with what we talked about at the beginning of this whole thing, and that is they understand how hard it is to convince people this is a great place to be right and so internationally it's a little bit less of an issue because coming to America such a culture shock there's playing in the MLS is so different. But I think there is still when you're trying to trade for players and when you're trying to get respect, there is still this underdog, you know, nobody wants to play here thing, and so if you can grow them yourself and they have loyalty and they have roots here, that is I think the thing that the Millers understand maybe better than anybody else.
Speaker 1: Well, and talk about proof of concept.
Speaker 2: I know the Jazz never want a champion ship under the Miller regime, but they were more often than not really good and really competitive.
Speaker 1: We got spoiled, we did, we did.
Speaker 8: Were we going to talk about Jake?
Speaker 1: Oh, we're getting there. Yeah, we're getting there. I'm keeping about ten minutes. I figured we end with that, so let's move over. Now.
Speaker 2: We were talking about, you know, football tribalism and when a story like this surfaces. And let me just say this right off the bat, I've never loved covering honor code violations at BYU. I don't really love discussing it like I just think it's weird societally where people are obsessed with who other people are sleeping with.
Speaker 1: It's never been like a thing for me.
Speaker 8: I look at the honor code as team rules. So like when a coach talks about somebody being it happens in every program they broke team rules or whatever. So the honor code is just a probably more strict than most team rules and more personal, right, it feels more personal?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 8: Those are the things that were that make us uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: So for our listener's frame of reference, Jake Rhetz Laugh had the civil suit filed a few months ago, and our friends of the Tribune have done a good job with this, uh, and the civil lawsuit was dropped.
Speaker 1: It has been dismissed.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, probably a settlement, you know, I think it's okay to say.
Speaker 1: That out loud.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, but that would be my guess. And then Jake has elected according to the Tribune. According to Kyle Bonneger and Pete Thamil from ESPN, Jake has elected to transfer because he's facing a seven game suspension.
Speaker 8: And all of these things are reports there. Nothing is direct from that it is correct, and nothing is direct from school because under Tom Holmo, they used to announce when an honor code violation had occurred and what the punishment was. Yes, they wouldn't always tell you what happened, but he would know his honor code. So we would all be like, something has to do with sex or drinking, right, right, and then and that's a bad assumption because we don't know sure, but whatever. So Tom Holmo, and I think very wisely said, look, this is not this is not necessary. We're going to let you know that you know, there's been a violation of team rules or whatever, and the discipline will stay private. Yes, And I think that was a good call. I don't know what I heard. What I heard and read, and I was reading Ja Drew's stuff from Desert News as well, and that is that he was telling friends and family a couple days ago that I think Saturday nights when I read it that he was going to be transferring because he'd had a meeting with coaches and administrators and they had said, hey, you're probably gonna have to have a seven game suspension. And I mean, I think everyone's question was and I think one things that's important to note is that his attorneys responded to the suit, and that response was incredibly detailed, and I people were having many feelings about the response and the detail of it and what was alleged and what his defense was. And I think that it is not surprising to me that after that response, which was really brutal, two things happened. He gets told you're going to get an Honor Code violation and decides to go and the suit is settled or dropped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's where we're at. That's what's happened.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I can remember when these things would kind of either publicly manifest themselves or there'd be rumors of what's happening behind the scenes. A lot of people that do the jobs that we do in media would cry that this thing needs to be changed. B YU needs to change the Honor Code. It is too punitive.
Speaker 1: They're not going to do that, Okay.
Speaker 8: I don't I don't ever think people shouldn't change their own you know, whatever their rules are exactly. I just want you to apply your rules fairly and consistently. Yes, that's always been my issue. I had one of the my only interest ever in the Honor Code was when it was applied more strictly or more punitively to women than to men. And that was a problem. But outside of that, like, you know what you're signing up for, I mean one hundred percent, I mean think about like BYU is Jake's third school, right, right. So the fact that I mean, and that is the way it is now was it was it? Walt had been to three schools also, I mean like two Florida and then who's the second round pick the Yeah, he's a four or three. He's a three school So I mean like that's sort of the way we're going now. So I don't I don't know who's going to take him. I think it's the timing that's the problem for Jake. But I think that response was as they say, it was no holds barred, that he was defending himself with every everything he could throw at this woman.
Speaker 2: Do you think the weight of his response motivated her to try to come together and just get this thing figured out?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 8: Absolutely absolutely, Because here's the thing. Sexual assault victims don't report crimes because there is, as you said, there's this uncomfortability with reporting on on our code violations that have something to do with pre mariital sex. Imagine trying to report a crime that has something it's it's a crime, but it's also a personal violation that people still see as a purity or you know, a moral failing that this happened to you, right, And so there's so much tied up in it. There's so much psychologically and emotionally and and and I'm sure physically that I think it's difficult to deal with a system that wants to deal with facts and evidence. Your body is a crime scene. Think about that, right, That is a difficult thing to even for me to even fathom. And so that reality was a struggle for her, and that she admitted that in her suit when the response came and it was allegations about there were he wasn't the one who did it. It was a different player, and the other player wasn't famous, and you know, it wasn't first you know, it wasn't an nil money. The brutality of the of what you can do to defend yourself in civil court, I think that was probably I think it was a painful thing to realize it. Now. I'm not saying that she didn't say I want to go and you know whatever, I don't know any of those details. I can imagine that reading that was incredibly whether it's true or not, whether however you see it, right and listen, I don't fault Jake's attorneys for doing what they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, I.
Speaker 8: Everybody there were people who were critical and talking about how brutal it was and unfair. Look, Jake would make you the same argument. We don't know what he did. We don't know if we don't know who's telling the truth. So that's what the courts are for. But hashing out something like that is so emotionally painful, and it's going to go on for years. Yeah, and so I imagine that if there was a settlement, that was an incredibly persuasive thing because that I can't imagine reading that stuff about myself, my loved one and thinking I can sustain this kind of fight for years.
Speaker 1: No, it's good perspective, you know.
Speaker 2: It was one of the reasons I always don't really enjoy cover ding honor code violations like this is it's a sports soccer radio show, so there is a sports angle to it, but it feels like it's so much more heavy, there's so much weight to it as opposed to like, all right, let's debate who the backup quarterback is and who's going to start. Like, No, there are very serious allegations that were alleged, and to your point, we don't know what's true and what isn't. That's not for me to litigate on air. I just try to look at the information and then just try to go from there. But as far as the optics of how this looks for the school, what are your thoughts on that there? Because I can remember when Brandon Davies had his suspension in twenty eleven. I mean that was a basketball team.
Speaker 8: That's the one that I remember them changing the policy.
Speaker 2: And it's hard to say like they would have won the national championship because the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 8: Is redifficult that way.
Speaker 1: You just felt like, well, they were good.
Speaker 2: He was so good, and Jimmer was full Jimmer at the time, and Brandon was a perfect compliment to him. And I can remember when that came down when Brandon was suspended for the nc Double Tournament. We had two factions. One faction was what are we doing here? We have a really good team, and the other faction was, no, this is who we are. And so I don't really know where to land with that. I wonder what you how you feel about the way a story like this with Jake looks for BYU in.
Speaker 1: The athletic department.
Speaker 2: Well, I think like, does it dissuade kids from wanting to go play football there?
Speaker 8: Well, I mean it might disswade some kids for sure, And it might dissuade some kids from going there and thinking they can get away with it, right, And it might dissuade you from, you know, as a coach, it might dissuade you from recruiting certain types of people or you know, or how But I think Kloni Sataki is cut from that same cloth. This is who they are. They're not changing the honor code, and they're going to embrace the fact that everybody abides by the same rules. It doesn't matter if you're the superstar. It doesn't matter if it costs us the NCAA championship or an NCAA Championship run. It's brutal, it's sad, but it's not It's not any different than a star player pulling up injured, you know, right there and costing a team or you know. And I would say this that if you embrace the idea that you hold yourself to these standards and you really do it, then I think that that becomes more meaningful thing. That's all I think. I feel like people who say have been saying a long time, be why you can't keep competing if they don't plan on Sunday, be why you can't keep competing if they have the honor code. They're not getting rid of either one. And they're doing pretty well.
Speaker 1: Yeah they are.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And now you see teams accommodating their Sunday play. You see people respecting the fact that they if you follow, all I'm saying is whatever your code of ethics is, just follow it, because I know programs who have a code of ethics, but they are quick to violate it if it's their star player. And nothing will teach you entitlement quicker than having a coach cut you some slack when they really should sit you on the bench.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I think it's good perspective.
Speaker 2: So ultimately, when you look at to your point, the spot BYU is in as an athletic department, they're in a very healthy spot. Because and I said this, my old producer Brady sent out a tweet because I'd forgotten that i'd said this when I said it. But about five years ago when Nil kind of started to become like, wait, this is going to be real, and then it became real about four years ago. Now, I said, if you're a BYU fan, this is excellent news. This is a way that you can And this was before the Big twelve, they were still independent. Now they got the Big twelve invite, which is also even the playing field. But when Utah had their PAC twelve invite and BYU in a reactionary move because it was they don't level when I say that went independent, it allowed Utah to evolve past Bergham Young and football in the way that quite frankly, it never had.
Speaker 1: I mean, I grew up in the Lovell years.
Speaker 2: It was nineteen and two, I think over twenty one years, and then coach mac comes in and kind of evens it up a little bit. But two things, when Kyle said no to his alma mater and yes to Utah and Utah gets the PAC twelve invite, that sent Utah football kind of on this path where it was a generation of dominance in a way that I never thought it was possible. So now we have house VNT DOAA, we have nil And with those two things combined, it feels like there are a lot of very rich people writing a lot of checks for byu' to have talent.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think there were a few other things. And I'm going to give Tom Homo massive credit, as you should, because job I was completely opposed to independence. This is a kiss of death because I feel like you need something to play for, especially in football, Like you know, the minute you're not in the running for a conference title, or you're not in the running for now we have the playoffs, right, there's just less incentive to play that sport for sure, especially in combat sports, there's just this idea that what are you playing for? Why are you suffering? Why is this happening?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 8: What are you sacrificing for? And so I felt like taking away not just the chance to win those conference titles, but get conference awards, you know, have those rivalries, like all the stuff that goes with it, the culture being creating this culture, right, I was like, I don't think they have notre Dame level culture.
Speaker 1: And they don't, No one does.
Speaker 8: But yeah, but I would say they have their own version of it. Whether it's less or not, it's still theirs. But the one thing that independence allowed Tom Holmo to do that I think was it led to this situation where in now, including the Big twelve invitation, was he could play during COVID yes, everybody else was subject to was subject to conference rules, and the PAC twelve shut down. They were all those West Coast schools were like, we're not playing. You can't come here. Everything's remote, and Utah suck. And Utah is in a state that politically was very different than the West Coast, right, and so you have your because Rye will b Yu, they're independent, they can leave over there. And that game against Coastal Carolina in the postseason was I think, such a light, such a moment. I remember just feeling so much joy and thinking because we're so much should we be doing this? Should we be playing? And now people are like we shouldn't. And I remember thinking, like there's so much grief and loss everybody's because in sports, especially combat sports, you get a limited amount of time. The average career length of a running backs four years, so every minute does count. And somebody said to me, the reason football so special is it's you know, in high school, it's ten ten Friday nights. You know, that's it, that's what you get. You might get eighty two games in a basketball season, but football is like fifteen, sixteen games now or eight I think it's up to eighteen now. But like it was, it's just so limited. It's so it's so delicious because it's so rare. And then and Tom gave us that he could play because they were independent, and they played good opponents, and they played and they played well. And I think it was I remember thinking I talked to him. I did an interview with him in a story for the Desert News. But I remember, you know, talking with him throughout that and it was a terrifying, stressful. I can't imagine being an ad during COVID, right, but he said, we have to make money. They laid people off dream as everyone did, right, But he was like, we have to figure this out. We have to navigate it. Because they didn't have anybody to rely on. They had this like creative innovative ability and opportunity that other teams didn't because they were in a conference. The conference dictated what happened. Yeah, and I think that led to them being seen in a way that maybe they hadn't been seen.
Speaker 2: It also helps that they're writing very big checks to attract talent.
Speaker 8: No no, I think, no, listen, But I think that was it was like, look at this invest Look how well they look at these uptas. Right, So then you have these people who want to get on board with us. The nil thing comes out that next year. The settlement takes beers, but you know this is going to be an opportunity. The collective started forming, I think at twenty twenty two, right, yeah, so I just think that that there were just again a few alignments, but like I went from like this is a worst mistake anyone's ever made to being like genius. Yeah, you know, and also you know Domino's fall in your favor too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that happens. That's our time. This is not a podcast. Unfortunately, we do have to break to keep the lights on. Amy, It's always great to see you. We'll see you soon, okay, Yeah, for sure, our friend Amy Donaldson from case we've missed her, it's been too long.
Speaker 1: ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 2: Welcome is Maroon five to the Delta Center coming up on October the twenty fifth Tickets go on sale on June twenty seventh. Well, anybody who thought the Memphis Grizzlies we're breaking it all.
Speaker 1: Down is not correct.
Speaker 2: Jaron Jackson Junior five years, two hundred and forty million dollars, an extension to stay with Memphis. Free agency and pro basketball began today. The Jazz made a couple of minor transactions will tell you about.
Speaker 1: Let's do a little RSL.
Speaker 2: The team's been playing better, man, turn around a little bit.
Speaker 1: We got four points in the past two games.
Speaker 2: We've got a really busy July, both on and off the field, and always fun to catch up with our guy Kurt Schmidt on a Monday afternoon. Kurt, Happy Monday, man.
Speaker 3: How are we doing doing well?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm well, I'm well.
Speaker 2: So do you feel like the past couple of matches you guys have played better or things just kind of evening evening out. You just kind of continue to do what you do and you're actually getting some uh some some better luck.
Speaker 1: I guess is how I'll put that.
Speaker 3: No, I do.
Speaker 6: I do think we're playing a bit better. The guys are playing with a little more confidence. Yeah, I think it's I think it is getting better now.
Speaker 1: Johnny Russell Kurt, uh.
Speaker 2: You know, we've talked a lot about his pedigree in Major League Soccer and then the story where he just didn't have a club for a minute and you guys were able to grab him. And every week I check in with Pablo when he joined the show.
Speaker 1: How's it going. Is he getting fit?
Speaker 2: Is he getting acclimated and now we've got.
Speaker 1: A couple of straight games where he's been able to tally a goal.
Speaker 2: What do you what are you seeing from your your one of the acquisitions you made from.
Speaker 1: Sporting k C.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think he just adds a bit of quality and experience to the front line that that we didn't really have. You know, we were pretty young in the attack right now, and he's obviously a guy who's been around the block, who knows the league well. He has a bit of calm employees and in those critical moments, you know, and yeah, like his fitness is still coming along as match fitness. You know, he played a half the one game he played. I think he got to sixty the second game, so you know he's coming along. But obviously he's shown what he has in those critical moments in the attacking third.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine what that must feel like.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure he has a lot of different emotions about Sporting k C because it was home for so long, and also from what I understand, the end wasn't what he was preferring.
Speaker 1: But what what do you what do you think that was?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Man going up there and scoring in front of those those fans where he used to play at such a high level.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't think guys, guys who play at this level ever feel bad about scoring a goal, no matter who they're playing for or who they're playing again. So it was respectful. I think how he you know, how he celebrated after the fact, and you know, didn't want to, didn't want to insult the fans there. But yeah, I never never seen a professional at that level be sorry about scoring a goal against anybody, So I'm sure he enjoyed it just fine.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a really cool moment.
Speaker 2: So if we panned back just away from Johnny and I'll just give you the space, how do you feel like you guys have been able to keep the ship aflow with Diego, with the with the national team in the attack, who do you feel like you stepped up?
Speaker 6: I think the last couple of games, I think Jogo stepped into the void and added some quality minutes. Obviously, Johnny, with the production the last two games, has has shipped in and helped us. You know, obviously Gozo's continued to grow into the role more and more as a young player, and you know he still needs that that common poison in the final third. But I mean, the guy works so hard that that's not a question of if that comes, but just when you know. So, I think those guys have stepped up a lot, and you know, Willie and Ari come in up top and give him some hard work. But yeah, I think all those all four of those guys or anyone who's played those four positions, have actually stepped up and tried to pick up the.
Speaker 2: Slack since we brought up Diego. Of course, he is with the national team for the Gold Cup experience and continues to be a real bridespot.
Speaker 1: Kurt.
Speaker 2: I wonder what your impressions have been as you've watched him play throughout this tournament.
Speaker 6: I think he's been fantastic for them, you know. And again, I think we talked about this in the past, but he's got something just a little bit different, I think than the normal cast of characters in the national team has, which is the responsibility to carry the team, to know, you know, to produce and perform for the team. Where he knows that everyone's counting on him and there's a little bit more pressure on him where some guys playing at you know, some of the club's top clubs in Europe don't have that as much in their club environment, in their day to day environment. And so when you when you see Diego play for the national thing, you see obviously a really good player that has qualities on the ball that will track back and defend, but you see his his passion and his energy and his I guess his will to win is something that makes him stand out. I think head and shoulders above anyone he's you know, he's playing with now, but even you know, when he was in the last camp with some of the bigger names, you know, I think he stands out in that group as well.
Speaker 2: I honestly do not even know the answer to this question, hence why I'm asking you. But I've never even it's never really dawned on me. How How connected are you guys to Diego when he's with the national team?
Speaker 1: Are you calling?
Speaker 2: Are you checking in his Pablo calling? What's that dynamic like when he's away?
Speaker 6: Yeah, a little a little bit of everything. Obviously, you know he's with them, and he's busy, and they you know, they're they're playing, you know, in tournament soccer, they're playing games every few days, so there's not a ton of downtime to just chat with them. You know, I don't know how much Pombo spoken with them. I've checked in with him a few times, and you know, seems like he's enjoying the experience.
Speaker 2: I do wonder what the hope is as far as and maybe a lot of this is intangible, because I would imagine just playing on the stage with the national team, getting starts, getting minutes, being able to provide services and provide dangerous chances and scoring chances. I would imagine the intangibles, you know, things like confidence. But Diego doesn't lack confidence at all. I just wonder what sort of you know, from the club perspective when you're players with the country. What's the hope when he comes back as far as what he's ascertained from the experience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean confidence is a big part of it. Anytime you're playing well, no matter what team you're playing for, no matter what competition it's in, it gives you confidence to carry into the next game, wherever that may be. I think part of it is also as you step up in levels you know in the game, whether it's obviously from youth to professional to you know, college, however, you want to graduate those levels. You know, speed of play, speed of thought, all that stuff. The space you have shrinks, the speed of place increases, and so you know when you're playing with the NAS team and you're thinking that much faster, and you become accustomed to that, and then you come to this level where maybe things aren't quite happening just as fast as they were with the national team. The game slows down for him for a little bit at least, and you know, he can see things a little quicker, and he'll seem like he's playing at a different different speed to everyone else maybe sometimes, And it feels that way even as a player, when you step down levels and you have a little more time and space to make your decisions.
Speaker 1: I certainly have not done the research on this.
Speaker 2: I'm sure our guy Gerald knows, but I don't recall a mid season month in my history being around this club where you on the we had two matches. I understand their scheduling stuff with some of the other cups, a lot of cups got to keep track of all the cups. What's it like from a front office perspective when you have an entire month with only two games? How does that change? The way that you go about your business, and did you did you, guys use the space at all to maybe accomplish something you wouldn't have been able to if you were as busy as you're about to be in July.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the I mean the players had a mandatory break in there as well, so they hopefully got to refresh themselves a bit and get the refocus now on the second half of the season. You know, from our standpoint, I think it's it was. It was maybe good for us and where we were at now. I I whenever we don't get the result we want, you know, I always want the next game to be as soon as possible, right You want to get that taste out of your mouth right away. So coming off of the game in LA wasn't ideal maybe to have two weeks off, but you know, slowing the pace down a little bit of the season I think helped Sot's get our legs under us a bit and obviously put together two pretty good performances so far in June, and I hope that we can keep it going this weekend and get another three points, have you guys?
Speaker 2: And Pablo dropped some math on us last week as far as you know, points per game at home what you need to get over the line that he believes you need to get over to make the postseason. But if I'm looking at this right, it looks like you've got seven of the next eight games at home, with only a trip to Portland up to Providence Park in between a bunch of home matches. I mean, obviously, Kurt, I know you want to win every game. I'm not going to ask you if you would like to win all of these games, but have you done loose calculations as far as what you need to do home and away to get you close to that point line where you're going to need to be if you want to make the playoffs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Look, I think we've got to do what we did in June, right and maximize our points at home and collect some points on the road when we go there and make sure that we're tough to beat. We're still you know, we're still at a stage where we can we can do that and get there, and I think the confidence of the group and the optimism within the group is appropriate to that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: You know, again, we've got a chunk of games at home, like you said, and it's always there's something psychological about that, right, that's a little bit different on the road, whether it's confidence or comfort or whatever it might be. But the boys know what they need to do here in our home stadium, all right.
Speaker 2: So the secondary summer transfer window opens July the twenty fourth, Kurt, Just in case you didn't know that, I'm letting you know, so July the twenty fourth. I've never asked you this question before, and maybe there's nothing here. What's the main difference between the primary transfer window and the secondary transfer window? Are there different mechanisms dad to the group or is it just like all right, these are just the two windows and essentially it's the same thing.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's there's no like rules, regulations. I guess that really differ greatly between them. I think the big difference for us is the given the timing of our season being offset to the European calendar, is the summer window is sometimes the bigger window. There's a larger pool of potential free agents available. There's more teams looking to make broader changes within their squad, so you know, even for for transfer fees, there's more players available and on the market, teams are a little more able and willing to let guys go at maybe more favorable prices than they are for us in our off season, which is the January window in Europe, and it's the middle of their season where sometimes a little bit harder to pry a guy loose in the middle of a European season. So as it relates to Europe, there's a lot of differences in terms of availability and you know, and that's buying as well as selling. You know, that's the summer windows just a bigger market in Europe and South America, there's a little bit of that, but it's it's a lot less impactful as it is in the players coming out of Europe. So that's sort of the big, big difference.
Speaker 2: Are you allowed again, I honestly just don't know, because I'm juxtaposing this to other sports where you're not supposed to talk to players or it's tampering if they're under contract, or you know, you can't make contract offers unless it's in a certain time, or else you could get doc draft picks during the moments on the calendar, during the stretches on the calendar where neither the primary or secondary window are open. Are you allowed to contact players and agents and negotiate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're you're allowed to make those approaches and obviously negotiate those deals, and you'll see teams and now and steals, you know, before the window opens. And you know, technically that's what we do in the winter window as well, because our window actually, even though we call it the January windows, sometimes it doesn't actually open till February, you know, So that's all the signings we make in the off season are our signings announced before the window opens typically, So yeah, you're allowed to have those conversations and do those things, and largely because the windows are different everywhere, so you know, the relevant window is the window of the league where the player is going. So for us to sign a player, the relevant window is ours. But if we're selling a player, then the relevant window is wherever he's going. So everyone's on different windows and different timelines. So yeah, it's always sort of free moving.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, all right?
Speaker 2: So safe to say you currently are in contact and negotiating with potential additions for the secondary window this summer.
Speaker 6: Safe to say, safe to say correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are the priorities?
Speaker 2: What are we prioritizing and do you have a loose idea of when we could actually hear announcements of additions on the way.
Speaker 6: I do not have a loose idea for you. I'll leave that to Gerald as far as the Mounts sense. But no, look, I think we're looking for some help in the attack, but we're also looking to add a little bit of experience to the team. We're a young team, so adding you know, obviously we did that with Johnny, but adding another veteran piece I think could help us, help solidify us a little bit. So we're looking and we're looking to add a little more team speed. So those are sort of three of the things that we're looking to add in the summer window.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you are close to deals?
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you have targets you have identified and the conversations are progressing where you feel confident that you're going to get a couple across the line.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean maybe I'm cynical or pessimistic, so I won't ever say I feel good until the deal is actually done. But no, we're we're progressing on a few different fronts, and you know, nothing's nothing signed yet, obviously, but I think we're we're getting closer and closer.
Speaker 1: You do have a new ownership group.
Speaker 2: I wonder what sort of messaging comes from them to you about how you'll approach this window. That's different maybe than past owners that you've.
Speaker 6: Worked with, I mean against. I don't know if it's different, but obviously they've been very supportive, and honestly, the messaging from them is just you know, it sounds obvious, right, but be good when you know, improve the team, and you know there's not I know there's been a lot of stuff in the in the marketplace about you know, selling players and this and that and whatnot. But I think the primary objective, whether it's young players, old players, buying players, selling players, the primary objective is how to to serve the team, you know, to be successful in MLS. And as long as we're serving that objective, than those are the right news to make. And that's the support that ownership has given us.
Speaker 2: It's it's interesting, Kurt, to consider just the background of the Miller family and their longtime stewardship over the Utah Jazz and the fact that they do come from the world of pro basketball. And I will admit, I mean I when I started learning about soccer and MLS and roster construction and different mechanisms. It's almost like learning a different language. It there aren't a ton I mean, look, talent identification, negotiation, there are evergreen trades to building teams.
Speaker 1: And other sports.
Speaker 2: But soccer is just a lot different than basketball. I wonder what sort of dynamic that's brought as far as the Millers needing to learn what MLS is, what soccer is, you know, as opposed to you know how they have made a name for themselves, and that is owning a pro basketball team and doing it at a very high level.
Speaker 1: For a long time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, look, the numbers are certainly different, you know, smaller often with MLS relative to you know, some of the other big sports in the in in this country, NBA obviously, you know, NFL, whatever might be MLB. But but apart from that, I think one of the biggest, the biggest thing for someone new to the game draft Their head around is often just the source of players, where you know, in those other sports, your your source of players is so domestic. The draft is so important. You know, you can make or bake your franchise in one or two draft years. You know, all the best players in the world are sort of known and in this place and in MLS, And part of it is because of the way where our league sits in sort of the global hierarchy, but also the popularity and how pervasive the sport is throughout the world. You know, our pool of players is nearly endless, and the pool of players that can improve our team is vast, and you know, it's there's no one source, there's no one place to go to get the guy that can solve your problems. You can go here, and if that doesn't work, you can go there, and if that doesn't work, you can go somewhere else. And I think that's something that's a little bit tougher to wrap your head around is you know, you've got lists of players and one guy might be from Europe, all night from South America, one guy might be from Africa, and you're deciding between those three. And you know, obviously it presents some challenges from a scouting standpoint, as you're comparing all these different leagues next to each other and how they might translate what that looks like in MLS, But it also has some advantages because again, the talent pool that you have to recruit from is pretty best.
Speaker 2: Tell me about Saint Louis. I just had the standings pulled up. They're beneath you, and the standings fifteen points, three eleven and six minus twelve goal differential. I know we're supposed to say all these teams are dangerous, Kurt, but it's getting to the point of the season where a team but below you on the table rolls into your building.
Speaker 1: You need to get go, get all three. So what do they do well? How do you? How do you get it done? Coming up this weekend?
Speaker 6: Yeah, all these teams are dangerous since but not to rehash the cliches, but you know, any team that we play below us, above us, you know, other conference doesn't matter. You know, we need to get the three points at home. They're below is, but they started out rough and they've made a coaching change that's given a few guys a new lease on life. Who are who are playing at a different level lately. So it's it's just you know, yeah, plays right into your cliche. All these teams are dangerous, and in MLS, you know, the gap from team to team is not as big from just a pure talent standpoint, so a lot comes down to the execution on the day.
Speaker 2: Last thing before I said you lose, we had Tony hop on last week. It was really fun to learn about these U sixteen kids who have set history.
Speaker 1: They've made history.
Speaker 2: They became the first club to win Generation Adidas and MLS Next Cup. And look, most of the attention, of course is on the senior team. That's who people pay to go see, That's who people know. But if you can continue to develop these young players at this level, it will only pay dividends for you down the road. So last thing BEFOREY said you lose, provide a little color and context to what this accomplishment means and your thoughts on this academy squad.
Speaker 6: I think it's just a testament to the boys and the work they put in, and obviously the work that the staff has put in, you know, from obviously Tony, you know Jordan, those guys have done a great job with those teams. The recruitment side, you know, John Spencer, Matt Hayes, those guys have done a great job of bringing the talent in and just the dedication that all those guys and people that I'm you know, I'm not naming right now. I don't want to go through the whole thing, but that they've put into it, and so I think that they take that very seriously, which is which is great, and getting talent into the club is really really important to do what we want to do, which is to be that that have that focus on development and bringing players through and making sure that we've got a steady pipeline of young talent coming through. I think when you know, that's what this club has been before I got here, justin Glads and Aaron Herreras and Brooks Lenin's and all these guys, richardly Desmas and the Booth Brothers, those guys that some guys aren't even here. But there was a gap in the pipeline when I got here. There wasn't you know, it hadn't been I guess stocked appropriately. The recruitment wasn't there when I got here, But I think it was something we focused on a lot right after I got here. Wanted to that felt like the lowest hanging fruit is to get the right kids into that pipeline early. And now that group is mature ring and actually a lot of that group is now in the in the eighteens and not part of the sixteens group. But you see guys like you know, Gozo and Aidan hether Kanyi that are in that age group that are starting to matriculate to the first team. And with these guys the U sixteen group, you know, that's what we expected them over the next one two three years is to see which of these guys are going to be the next you know, the next goes to the next aid and the next Gavin Beavers or whatever have you.
Speaker 1: All right, my man, well, I appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: Congrats on a couple of good results, and go get it done this weekend.
Speaker 6: All right, all right, thanks kurch Schmidt.
Speaker 1: Kurch Schmid. RSL will be back in action.
Speaker 2: A light schedule for them in June that only included two matches.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: They beat DC United to nil and then went up to Case and got a draw one one.
Speaker 1: Saint Louis is in town coming up this weekend.
Speaker 2: Then it will be Houston, a quick roady to Portland and then home games against Cincinnati San Jose.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: In addition, oh then there it's the uh the Week's Cup. A lot of cups, a lot of cups in the Sport League's cut, A bunch of games at home. Though for ourself, if you didn't get a chance to get out and to see him in June, you'll have a lot of opportunities. Now that July is here, we're about to turn our calendar to July tomorrow. Look, Karen Carpenter is a boys straight from God. I'm not knocking on her, but what this is such a depressing, sad way to end an otherwise energetic, fun radio show.
Speaker 1: What are we doing here?
Speaker 4: I think my take on sad songs like this, uh huh, it's a Monday song. It's the main thing. My take on sad songs like this as they you know, they actually make you feel better, right because you're singing about rainy days and mondays.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you're you know, you're creating some art.
Speaker 4: So it's yeah, there's a lot of sad songs, but they're not necessarily sad on their face, So I don't think.
Speaker 1: It's like a healthy, energetic artistic expression.
Speaker 4: You're getting the sad out by using words and melodies, all right?
Speaker 1: Is that fair? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I see the logic. It just really is such a sad, depressing song. But maybe we're exercising some demons. I am ready to go home.
Speaker 1: And go to bed.
Speaker 2: Your boy had a little bit of a aggressively exciting weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, listen, I had a buddy's wedding this weekend.
Speaker 1: Nice, I get it. I get it. I also had a long weekend, a lot of golf, a lot of sun, and now it's time for some sleep.
Speaker 8: I mean.
Speaker 1: And we've been working together long enough.
Speaker 2: You know, when I do the Portland thing, the flight lands like twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: Before the show starts. I'll just say you miss cross talk.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I got here for the very end, but we only did like thirty seconds of it because I wasn't sure if I was going to get here by two. We sat on the tarmac. I was very patient and kind and respectful, as you would expect from somebody like me.
Speaker 1: I had to wait for the I love sitting on the tarmac. By the way, There's.
Speaker 2: Nothing worse, dude, There's nothing worse when you're looking around like what are we doing here? So I had to land scramble get to the show. Luckily, free agency the story with Ret's laugh and BYU there's a lot of stuff to get to. What's your take on this stuff? Down in provo with Jake and how this kind of has all gone down. I haven't got your thoughts on this today.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously not a fun situation to cover. Like you, it's the last thing in sports that I care to cover in that way. Right on our code stuff, it takes on a new and different tone right when there's assault allegations and the like. So that is obviously first and foremost the focus of the situation is getting the facts out, getting the.
Speaker 1: The specifics out.
Speaker 4: Now, the funny thing there is we may never know because what was figured out today Spence, is that not only has the suit been dropped or dismissed, it was a joint dismissal. Right, so Jake and the accuser together filed a dismissal, a joint dismissal, meaning yeah, as you alluded to, there's probably some sort of settlement behind the scenes in some form. We won't know whatever happened there. So now we move on to the rest of the story, which is an honor code violation, something that doesn't really happen at many other schools anywhere else. They all have team rules, they all have their you know, different coaches who set curfews or the like it's a little unique there in Provo, And you know, you don't really blame the kid for wanting to find a different situation when you're gonna miss half or more of the season ahead of you. I think that you probably got some words of encouragement to maybe look elsewhere as well. And I can also back up some reporting over the weekend that Jake was shopping around and shopping around to schools that you very much are familiar with. So it's a really you know, it's an interesting story that's kind of got all of it as far as the Utah sports scene. But at the end of it all this dial into the football. He's gonna have to find a new place to play. B Yu is gonna have to find someone to play quarterback and do so quickly. And you know, hopefully the rest of the people involved in that situation can find some closure and move on with it in hopefully some privacy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's well said.
Speaker 2: All right, before we say good night, The Denver Nuggets are making some moves.
Speaker 1: Michael Porter Junior, an.
Speaker 2: Unprotected twenty thirty two first round pick that's always risky, goes to the Brooklyn Nets. Cam Johnson who I really like a lot is now at Denver. Nugget and Denver just brought back Bruce Brown, who played really well for them when they won the championship in twenty twenty three. Great off ball cutter, he's great with Jokic. I like what Denver's done. There's a lot going on. Jazz trade Colin Sexton a Charlotte. They buy out Jordan Clarkson, guarantee speed mkay Luke's contract this year. It'll be a long year for the Jazz, But NBA free agency is always fun, all right, Porta, before we get out of here, what comes away?
Speaker 1: On a Tuesday edition of the show.
Speaker 4: On a Tuesday edition of The Drive, we'll discuss what we just did a little bit more in depth with our friend Kyle Bonnagura. Of course, offseason football and the latest on the drama in Provo. Tim McMahon stops by for your NBA Daily Assist, and it's going to be a heavy hoops show from there on out. Smitty in studio for an entire hour, and then the afore mentioned Sarah Todd, whose reporting has been on point over the last several days and the last week in Jazz and Draft stuff. She joins the show to finish us off on a Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Very nice, that'll be a fun Tuesday show. Join us for that special Thank you today to Tim Bontems, Tom Haberstrow, Amy Donaldson and Kurt Schmid for to the sound you may have missed from the show. Website is ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Make sure to download our mobile app and take us on the go. The ESPN seven hundred up is available in the App Store in the Google play Store. And then, finally, for what we do in our space every afternoon for four hours, check out our podcast page.
Speaker 1: It's called The Drive with Spence. Check its. It's available wherever you get your shows.
Speaker 2: Subscribe, rate, review sand Ie Things in the comments, give us all the stars of helps for porter. I'm Spence saying I have a great Monday evening. We'll talk to you on a Tuesday Drive as always. You can catch it right here on ESPN seven hundred ninety twe FFM. We are proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio network.