Speaker 1: Well, so that didn't go as planned? Please, at least the final score really makes it look like it didn't go as planned. I don't know if that like it was it was well, I mean you watched it, like I know that you clicked this podcast to hear us analyze it, and we will.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And you know, there's a couple of different ways I could do with this. I could just just rip yep. I also could sit here and tell you, ah, I don't be okay, that team's really good that they lost to I don't know. Well, we'll just kind of see how it goes. Do I hear do I hear the ice banging around a a Martini glass or something in the background, camp.
Speaker 2: I wish, I wish. Now that's just me banging my head repeatedly on the wall.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's not even a drink. Okay. It sounded like I was gonna say, it's like a it's like a Scotch night. It sounds like in the lippled uh in.
Speaker 2: The penthouse sweet in Chicago.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the six hundred and forty penthouse suite that I'm living right as right across from a dairy queen. Hey.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's worse restaurants to be right across the street fro I ranted in the middle of January. I don't know if it's getting a lot of run with blizzards and the snow and the literal b lizz.
Speaker 2: No, I have not. I have not set foot in that establishment yet, but it does get a lot of traffic. It's it's kind of surprising.
Speaker 1: Dairy Queens have kind of fallen off a little bit, not super unlike the basketball team we root for in recent years. You know, there's still some time we'll talk about it, so we don't have land and seeing a movie tonight. I hope he enjoys it better than him than he enjoyed watching the game last night. I'll tell you what did he tell us what he was seeing? Like? Are we just in the dark?
Speaker 2: Uh? I feel like he told us there was some movie that he wanted to go see a few weeks ago, and I have nowhere to go with this other than that statement. So you know, there's something about like a film festival or there's some movie he wanted to see, or maybe that was he said he might go to Chicago for that. I don't know.
Speaker 1: The only movie that I know of being out right now is the Lion King movie, and that's not a very land In movie. Wolfman is a little more of a land In movie. Maybe that's what he's seeing. I don't know. Well, I'll have to ask him. Let me ask him. Let's see if I can get an answer when we're on the air.
Speaker 2: No chance we can.
Speaker 1: Let's see if we can do it. This is inside the Paint on Rock Chalk Blog two man show today, But don't worry, we have We'll carry it home for all of you dying for some analysis hashtag analysis.
Speaker 2: I'm Ryan Landrath and I am a very sad Kamlpool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cam, you've bounced back and forth a little bit on your perception of the twenty twenty four to twenty five Jayhawks. So how you feeling now? How you're feeling after a seventeen point loss.
Speaker 2: I think I've come to the realization. So there's like multiple angles that we can take with the show. Number one. Ryan's probably gonna take the take of, Hey, you know, there was a six point game with five minutes to go and they just got boat raced in the last few minutes. I'm gonna take the angle of same problems as last year significantly better team than like last year, however, the same problems are still there. And we've seen this movie before, So I'm a little bit towards the side of I think the season is trending in a direction to where, yeah, they're gonna win a bunch of games in a row, but the offense is not gonna do anything for me in terms of the NCAA tournament. So that's kind of where I'm at.
Speaker 1: I think that's a relatively it's a great blend of rational and also realistic while also not being a blind homer, which I'm going to attempt to do. I've leaned towards the Homer take over the years, mainly because and it doesn't just come from a place of like I like Kansas basketball, which I do. It more so comes from I have watched the final product work well way more often than it hasn't. With Bill self, normally it they figured it out in some capacity more often than they don't. I turned on the Iowa State Kansas game from twenty thirteen. It's on a YouTube video on my TV right now, the one where Elijah just went off in that building. Yeah, just trying to get trying to get some good energy here put into this show so I will enjoy watching and the offense. It's the first TV timeout and the offense already has nine points. They're already like twenty percent of the way of how far last night's team went in a full game like that. This is a different sport I'm watching on my television right now.
Speaker 2: They probably have half as many three pointers in that first TV timeout as Kansas did yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did they. I think Iowa State made sixteen or seventeen that day, and I don't know if Kansas has made that many in conference play if we're being honest. All right, let's blow the air horn and talk all about the twenty twenty five edition of Kansas v. Iowa State at Hilton, which did not go as well as some in the past. Final score Number two Iowa State seventy four, Number nine Kansas fifty seven. We kind of feared that. But the combination of that atmosphere and that team that Kansas was going up to play, as well as some recent history that the ingredients were in place that it might snowball little bit on them should things not go well at any point in the game. And That's exactly what happened. Cam, tell me the game story.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The difference in AIMES on Wednesday night was the final few minutes of each half. In an ode to Kansas football, I always State turned the very even first half into a ten point halftime advantage with an eight to zero run over the final two minutes and the second half, Kansas clawed its way back and trilled fifty seven to fifty two five minutes left. The play of the night was when IOA State missed two free throws and Hunter Dickinson failed to get the rebound. To be honest, it did not look like a lot of effort was put into that rebound. The Cyclones made a three on the ensuing possession and they ran away from that point. The final result was a seventeen point loss. That wasn't indicative of how close the game was, but it does expose the problems that Kansas has had closing out halves.
Speaker 1: Yep. And my first question to you is, all right, what how how big of a deal are we gonna make this one? Like I won't even give you two, three options or whatever. Just how big of a deal are we making that one?
Speaker 2: I mean, in the scope of the entire season. It's not that big of a deal, but I do think it is kind of highlighting the same problems that we saw last year with this team. I texted the group chat earlier today that my main takeaway from this game is that Kansas kind of lacks the dog mentality that they had during the twenty tens under self, when you had teams like the Josh Jackson team Frank Mason team, those teams would go into tough environments and it wasn't an expectation that they would keep the game close. It was expected that they would win. Yesterday, during that game, I never had a single second where I thought that they were actually going to come out on top. Even when it got down to four points, I still was like, what's gonna happen next, Who's gonna make a backbreaking three pointer? And that's exactly what happened. So, Yeah, Kansas will be fine. They're gonna win twenty six games in the regular season and whatever it is. But the same issues are still there and the rotations don't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Ryan, I agree with what you just said. We're definitely gonna talk about the rotations. We're gonna talk about the issues, But you mentioned at no point in that game didn't feel like a game campas was gonna win, in large part because the dog mentality the team hasn't been as aggressive or hasn't been as efforty as they have been in the past. Was the feeling that what makes you so sure that the reason that you felt like you never had a feeling that were gonna win, what makes you so sure it was because of that and not because they were playing a top two team that hadn't lost a home game in two and a half years on their home floor, because.
Speaker 2: That was a Good's a fair question. Me, Yeah, that's a fair question. I think it's because we've seen this team lose badly in tough environments so much in the last two seasons. I mean, you think about the game last and this isn't a fair comparison, right because they were without Kevin McCuller, But you think about the game last year at Houston, just games where it's a big game, it's a big opportunity and it tends to swing in the other team's favor late, and to me, that was the biggest difference. And granted a lot of that came from I was stayed making tons of three pointers. That's also something that we've seen under tons of Billsolf losses. But again, I think part of it is just we've seen this happen so much with this core group of guys that it just seems like a recurring theme. If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: No, it does. It definitely makes sense. The words make sense. I don't think you can put this game in that same category. We've seen many of those aforementioned blowout losses. They had the Texas Tech game around this time last year, the Houston game. We saw it happen to even Creighton and Missouri games that they fell behind big early and everybody questioned the effort and the grit and all that stuff, and they just wound up not winning the game. I don't think this one fits in that category. They were right there, down by four points through thirty five minutes on the road. And look, I also understand if you're listening to this and you're screaming this is the number one team, this is Kansas or the preseason number one team, just merely being in a game is not exactly the bar we're going for here. You have the expectation to win every game when you're a preseason number one team at a program like I get it. However, over the course of a season, this is probably the most difficult game on Kansas's entire schedule. It's definitely not one that you realistically would have bet on Kansas winning entering it, and they were within five points with with five minutes left. It got away from him at the end. I think that the final score looks a lot more lopsided than the game really was. And you know, it's it's totally fair for you to say, well, it's a seventeen point loss, and you sent that tweet last night that said, like the forty percent of their double digit losses underself off coming the last like three years, So fair point. Fair point for me to not have a great mound of evidence in my favor saying this one's different, because this Cores has found ways to lose more blowouts than a lot of other Kansas themes. However, I don't know they've still they had won three in a row before this. We had just seen him scrap one out on the road. This same dog mentality that people have been clamoring to see. You saw it against Cincinnati. I don't know that's just kind of my two cents. I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it.
Speaker 2: You know what's kind of funny to think about. I just thought of this. The twenty twenty two team had that insane blowout loss to Kentucky at home, and I'm pretty confident during that stretch everyone assumed that that team wasn't going to do anything. Yeah, you could kind of make the case here, but I think the biggest difference is the fact that that team had three NBA players. This team I can't say the same about. Granted, I also think some of the best players aren't playing that much. And again, if things turn around in a short period of time on the offensive end, if the rotations get figured out, they are so solid defensively, I think they're number three in Ken Palm right now, but the offense is what forty fifth. If they can turn that around even just a little bit, this team will be fine. But it's just we've seen this before and it's kind of the same theme as last year, just with more depth.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you're going to make if you're going to make a comparison for this team, you gotta go with the twenty six team. Team because that was the one that was at the same point in the year actually ironically lost that Iowa State to lose three out of five. They started five and three in conference play, and then they won out the rest of the regular season, won the Big TeV Tournament, steamrolled three straight teams in the NCAA Tournament, and ultimately lost the Nova game that I told you on your way to the game, they'd be just fine. That's the comp you need to make with this team if if you have if you're a glass half full guy. Because that team wasn't loaded with pros either. It had Devonte Graham and Frank Mason right but before they really blossomed into full on superstars. That team was juiced by Perry Ellison Wayne Selden, neither one of which were NBA players. But so you had that roster that had they had a better offense than this one. That offense snuck its way into the top fifteen at the end of the year on Ken Pom. But that team was all about defense. They were They finished third in Ken Palm that year on defense. This year's team currently, as you said, ranks number three. That's the comp if you want a glass half full team. It's that if you want a glass half fifty, it's probably last year where they were still like seventeen and three through twenty games and then we just four fell out underneath it.
Speaker 2: So and this team is so much better.
Speaker 1: I think they are too. And I think this team the difference is that the same thing with the with last year and this year is the pieces aren't fitting together. The difference is, I think this team has the pieces that can to this point in the year, they haven't. I think the ingredients are there. The coach saying the coach is washed and it's time to move on, and all these things I've seen on Twitter. The guy won a national championship two and a half years ago, like that just seems the calls for Bill Self to be replaced, Yeah, because he hasn't figured out the nil are exactly what do you want? Nobody wins more in the power leagues than Bill self does. Like I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt here. I understand the hesitants, but pump the brakes a little bit, Tom, isn't you I'm not not talking to you, by the way, you haven't said anything ridiculous talking to like the fan base that that is like, oh my gosh, they're falling out of blue blood status, Like good.
Speaker 2: Lord, no, no, they're completely fine. Tom Izzo hasn't won a title since two thousand and they've had probably the most.
Speaker 1: Towers were still up when tom Izzo won a title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, TSA wasn't a thing. And then on top of that, they've had a majority of their seasons within the last five six years look a lot like the ones Kansas had last year. And yep, kind of what's happening this year, So Kansas is fine.
Speaker 1: They I would argue that Kansas's season last year was substantially better than like five or six seasons tom Izzo has had in the last couple a four seed.
Speaker 2: Like people like his average seeds. Probably his average seed is probably a four seed, just me spitballing here, but I.
Speaker 1: Bet it's lower than that, consider if your counting tournaments as like the average tournament seed. Probably, but that probably doesn't even factor in how he's made the few tournaments. Yeah, that's the thing. I saw a couple of people on Twitter say this team's gonna be just like last year's come March, that team was a four seed, Like if that's the doomsday scenario here, one of the sixteen best teams heading into the NCAA tournament. Yeah, it's gonna be okay. Now, there are some doubts here, and we're gonna talk about him. But my pet peeve that I want to lead off is people saying that the effort sucked. We obviously all saw the hunter Dickinson. There were a couple different times that he didn't go for a rebound as hard as fans would have liked him to on miss free throws, and both times they bit Kansas right in the asset led right to five points. On those two points, we saw it. There were plays you could go back and rewatch and in every single game you're gonna see moments where a guy doesn't grab, doesn't dive on the floor, like, oh, we could have the Cam Newton play in the Super Bowl comes to mind. Everybody watched that from the one angle and thought, oh, he didn't die the way I thought that he should have dove, So outrage over effort. Let's not talk about this team not trying, because Bill self, who knows this team far better than everybody else who's listening to this show, who doesn't listen to the show and is a fan of this show, a fan of the program. Rather, bill Sell said that this week had been some of the best effort and he had seen such an uptick in specifically guys like Dickinson and Adams's effort. So going on Twitter and being like, these guys don't care, These guys don't care what it means to have Kansas on the front of their jersey. No, you can lose a game to a top two team and not play very well. You can say that they didn't play well.
Speaker 2: They didn't.
Speaker 1: They played poorly on offense and the defense had moments of breakdowns. But saying that they don't care, saying the effort sucks, do you do you with your eyeballs think this effort is worse than the strongest effort team you've ever seen. I think every every player I've ever watched play for Kansas cares with every fiber that they have. And sometimes the execution isn't there. That doesn't mean the effort and the heart aren't there.
Speaker 2: No, I think I think the effort in the hearts Thereah, the Dickinson rebound was a bad look, but part of it too. You have to if you look at the play of the ball was basically dribbling towards going out of bounds. It very well might have actually been out of bounds when the when the Iowa State players saved in on the baseline, But.
Speaker 1: It was very close. I rewatched that play a couple of times wondering did was that real close? And yes, you're right, of course you want Hunter Dickinson, all seven two of them, to dive on the floor after it. But what happens if he dives on the floor and it bounces off his hands and goes out of bounce slong winto the ground. I'm not trying to defend Dickinson with everything, but it's like if he are going to specifically pinpoint one play or two plays in a in an hour and fifty five minute real time basketball game and say, well, you could have tried harder here. You could definitely go back to those twenty and fifteen sixteen years, the year everybody wants him to be like and find those moments too, like plenty of them. Yeah, for sure, let's talk about the defense.
Speaker 2: Sure, Cave's defense is pretty good. Overall, they forced thirteen turnovers and held the Cyclones to forty one percent from the floor. Of course, I always say, did shoot sixty two percent from three, which is eight for thirteen. Several of those were Curtis Jones going off. Kansas problem was the offense just five for sixteen from deep, minus ten on the glass, and seventeen turnovers themselves. I am convinced you could strap Stephen Hawking to an artificially powered wheelchair and give him a basketball and he would go six for six in Hilton against Kansas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Curtis Jones was ridiculous. It's a little easier to swallow knowing that he's arguably the Big twelve player of the year right now. He's been fabulous, but he was on and whenever you have a top three Big twelve player going off for one of the best nights they've ever had, it's not gonna be good. And like, there's also some offsetting there. Kansas did a decent job against everybody else. They got a break without dealing with Mom Sildovich, who was hurt before the game. But let's talk about the first off the things and that you said, I'm not concerned about this team's been good guarding the three, and they were fine guarding it yesterday, like the three point defense sucks tweets were very quiet because everybody could see you that they were watching a guy just go ridiculous. In otherwise it was fine and the turnovers. Not concerned about the turnovers. This is one of the best teams in the country at taking care of the basketball. They went on the road in the toughest environment they're gonna play all year and played a team that historically forces a lot of turnovers, and I thought it got better throughout the course of the game. I think they had eleven turnovers in the first half and only six after halftime. Turnovers happen sometimes in tough environments. Well, we are concerned about other rotations because wow, was Bill's self trying everything and nothing words. The big three of Hunter, Dickinson, kJ Adams into one Harris. They combined to make seven baskets in eighty eight combined minutes, which is obviously a huge problem that cannot happen. But they also combined, in case you need more stats, for eight turnovers, which is more than the baskets they made, and fourteen miss shots. Three fifth Yer seniors cannot do this. I guess cag is not a fifth year. So there's kJ fifth twenty two.
Speaker 2: I don't think he.
Speaker 1: Is whatever whatever. Plenty of experience between these guys to be better than that. So okay, talk about the rotations. What did you see? What did you not see? Obviously that was a main talking point. A lot of people aren't happy with it, and I think they have every reason to not be very happy with with those decisions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think the biggest thing to take away here, and again this is me being kind of pessimistic in general. I don't think any of these I don't think Dwan Harris, kJ Adams or Hunter Dickinson are inherently the problem themselves. They're all very good basketball players. I think the issue is they just do not fit well together, and especially when they're playing against really athletic teams. I just worry that Bill's self is going to put loyalty towards some of his players over potential performance. And in terms of the rotations, like it didn't make any sense, Like where was Ryland Griffin in the second half?
Speaker 1: I mean that's been a recurring problem too. That's a recurring problem. Ryland Griffin didn't play in the first thirteen minutes of the second half, Self is continuously opting for guys like David Coyit to play in front of him, and even aj Store got run late that I'll be at that was just kind of on the in the garbage time, almost like, okay, what is Bill self going for? You obviously goes for trust. He didn't play Shack More nearly as much as he had, which clearly the defense was okay even with Shaq off the floor, and I think Self quickly realized that playing More and Harris together wasn't working very well on offense either. Harris didn't play well. I'm okay seeing lineups with Harris out at whenever he's not playing well. And you know, here's the fascinating part with Harris is he scored what did Harris have? Eight points? Like that's basically what he averages, and the team scored fifty seven points, Like Harris's average nights are are contributing to the team not not scoring a lot of points. You notice it more whenever guys like Hunter and Zeke have off nights. But if the team scores fifty seven points and they got an average amount of point from their point guard, their point guard isn't scoring enough. kJ, Well, we'll get into it. kJ. I think in the first half you could argue did enough non scoring things to warrant playing time. I thought he played fine in the first half. Hunter Dickinson, in my opinion, was the biggest problem in the game. He was the one that you felt the most hit. His poor play was notice the most. If you want to talk about his stats, we can kind of get.
Speaker 2: Into this a little bit. Yeah, Hunter Dickinson was head to have held to a season low six points in twenty nine minutes, going just three for ten from the floor. He also failed to shoot a free throw. He finished with eight rebounds and two blocks. He had four turnovers. The play everybody's talking about was but he didn't go all out for rebound on Iowa States miss free throw was turned into an offensive board and a dagger inducing three by the Cyclones.
Speaker 1: Tough night for Dickinson, really tough night for Dickinson. I'm not gonna sit here and make a lot of excuses for him. I'll give him one one excuse. This is a pretty tough matchup for him. Iowa States is their blend of height and athleticism, and before people say, well that's basketball, it is but Iowa State has put a lot of guys in a blender this year. They have a great defense. They've they're fifteen to one, like I mean they are. This is what they've done to teams all year. Kansas needed Dickinson and the problem and you know that I've been a pretty staunch Dickinson defender. Here's the problem with him. When Kansas really needs him a little more often than not, he's no showed in some big halves when they fall behind, he does kind of disappear. They need him to be a guy, especially considering how frequently they run the offense through him. They need to be a team. He needs to be a guy that says, hey, we're down ten, give me the ball. I'll make shots on back to back possessions. All of a sudden, we're down six, get another stop. I'll draw a foul, maybe hit a free throw to keep working us climb back. Dickinson really has disappeared whenever the team has fallen behind by more in this case, and that's my main problem with him. This is a tough matchup for him, But I posted a halftime when they were down ten. Can't. This is a big half for Hunter Dickinson. He needs to will them back a little bit and get involved in this top ten matchup. He only made one bucket in the second half. That's the problem, and I get why fans are frustrated that they're I'm all American center in these big He's great. Hunter Dickinson is great when you are playing from ahead, when you are playing from behind. Yeah, it's it's he's disappeared a little more often than then. I think I've given him than than I've than I pointed out in the past. I don't know how fair is all that.
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty fair. I will say that is the one criticism that I heard from Michigan fans back when he was playing at Michigan was that he's very very good in games against Rutgers, but when you play against the big name schools and big games, he typically disappears. I hope that's not the case, but we've seen this a few times. He did have a bad game, he had a tough matchup. I'm not too concerned about him. I think he's still If you don't have Hunter Dickinson on this team, this team is incredibly worse. But yeah, I mean it is concerning he did not have a good game. Even some of his passes, like outlet passes and just kind of passes in general, were pretty sloppy, So it just didn't look like he was all there.
Speaker 1: They sped him up clearly. Their their goal was to speed him up, and he's not comfortable having to play super fast. I think he's actually adjusted a little bit. We've seen a little bit more of that downhill driving kind of attack from him in the last couple games that he really wasn't doing very much of until conference play. But certainly like that's the sort of thing that teams know that he's been in college for so long, teams know exactly how to scout him. We have seen him whenever you say he's against the big competition, he hasn't always been great. He had that's not to say he hasn't had games like he's had the Kentucky game last year. He's had a couple of conference games TCU comes to mind last year wherever he really puts the team on his back and and he he can win you games. He's not a complete no shower against any team you've heard of, but more often than than you would expect for a guy with these expectations. We need that guy to help will you back sometimes, and I can't think of a time Hunter Dickinson willed them back other than the Kentucky game last year.
Speaker 2: I put it this way, I think that there's a common theme in almost all of Kansas's losses, and it's that Hunter Dickinson has a bad game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh for sure, and that's that's a little bit selfish. Like that also makes sense because when anybody's a eighteen and eleven guy has a bad game, it's gonna hurt the team a lot. But you're completely right. The exception to that, statistically would be the Missouri game, where he did put up a lot of numbers. However, he didn't play well in the first half when they were getting slammed. We obviously saw him shut down pretty good against Creighton, he didn't play particularly well against West Virginia, especially on defense, and then in this game his worst game of the year. There are three l's, four l's and all like that makes a lot of sense. I guess we probably also have to talk about kJ kJ Adams four points, just one for five from the floor, six rebounds, four assists in threeenty twenty four minutes. Look, I will give him credit for his better free throw shooting in his rebounding, and he does have. He made a handful of plays in the first half. From a hustle perspective. I know he missed a couple of layups in consecutive in succession, but wow, he does did he make a couple of plays that only he can make. But if you're gonna play twenty four minutes on the road against the top two team, you gotta make more than one basket. As Kansas's fore man, he injured his right shoulder early in the second half. Looked really bad. We wondered about a collarbone or at minimum joint sprain. He actually came back in a few minutes later, but then reinjured it and left for good after that, which is I have questions why they put him back in the first place, if it was that easy to reaggravate. Bill self said after the game, they don't have a lot of information here, but Kansas will be quote very lucky if he doesn't miss time. My takeaway on kJ as the offense made a couple of runs without him, and right whenever fans were clamoring at the bit to say, see, they're better without kJ than a run that probably doesn't happen with him, happens whenever they fell apart defensively late and it got away from him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like the ultimate glue guy. He was everywhere on the court in the first half. I mean, he was saving loose balls, getting offensive it just he was everywhere. But you do need more scoring out of him if he's gonna play that many minutes. Hopefully he's not injured to too badly. I think it'll be interesting to see what happens against Kansas State with him probably not playing. Is He is an important part of this team. It's just a question of where he fits in the rotations. And I do not envy Bill self for having to figure that out.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about that thing, because we're obviously not Bill Salt, but we have thoughts. Okay, let's say that kJ is not playing, Kj's out against k State. Who are you starting in his place? I assume you're saying Ryland Griffin. Yeah, I would agree, and I suspect that would be who Bill goes with. I could also see it being aj Store because he's a little bit more of your typical six foot seven. He's played the four before. Griffin certainly hasn't, but it would be just solely based on positioning at that point. So without Kju, I assume you want Dickinson and Flory combining for their what fifty five sixty minutes? Zeke Mayo's playing thirty five, Dewan's playing thirty That gets you a one hundred and twenty something like that, and then you want Griffin out there for what twenty five thirty minutes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I just I want to see Ryland Griffin playmore. He is, He's he brings more than just shooting of the team. When you have a three point shooter that's tall, athletic, you spread the floor and it takes way more of the defensive attention to him, which opens up the lane for Hunter Dickinson. We've talked about this a bazillion times, but he needs to play more, and I also think he has potential to be one of their offensive best players. He's also really good at taking into the cup. That's something that Kansas has lacked. They're dead last and free throw at at free and it's just it's it's unbelievable for a team that was supposed to be just a jug er, not offensively, to have a team that is dead last and free throw it's up rate, it's it's insane.
Speaker 1: It's very weird. Like yes, and the stat you're referencing, Kansas is dead last out of three hundred and sixty four Division one teams. They have the worst free throw rate of any team in college basketball. And that considering how you mentioned, like, that's the sort of stat that you would anticipate from like that twenty eighteen team that shot a lot of threes. This one plays inside and they can't. So like this year, I'm looking at the stats, Kansas has attempted one thoy and twelve field goals, and you take the three pointers out, that's three hundred and thirty. So they've attempted six hundred and eighty two twos and they have they have only shot two hundred and one free throws, So that is three point four two point basket attempts for every one free throw that they're making. Now, if you want some statistics to go back to, I'm gonna go back to twenty thirteen because the first thing that I thought of a guy who drew a lot of fouls was Jeff WII. That year's team took let's fit let's see here. That year's team took thirteen to twenty eight threes, and they took seven hundred and forty eight free throws. So that is one point seven to seven two point baskets for every free throw attempted. This year's team is double that, three point four two point attempts for every free throw taking. Yeah, that's not a good way. That explains the fifty seven points.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then also it's it's not even that they're just taking two pointers. It's the fact that they're not layups. They're like contested mid range jump shots or shots away from the rim, and that is that is the problem. It's spacing. It's just it's so obvious.
Speaker 1: Several times too. Aj Storer did this. He made it, but we've seen guys do this several times where they pass up a semi open three to get a order shot that's worth two points. It's like, why, just yes, we'll run it. And we talked about some of these guys. So Ryland Griffin got nineteen minutes, but most of it was in the final eight. Most of it took kJ getting hurt to get him out there. For nobody could figure out why he couldn't get in the game. In the second half, he scored seven points on three for four shooting. The offense definitely is better with Ryland Griffin in the game. The defense may not be. Aj Storer did get ten minutes, but filed four times and took a couple of terrible shots. He finished with five points. One was a jumper in the first half. That was not three were whenever the game was over. David Koit didn't score in seven brutal minutes. He has had a rough conference play so far, and Rickie's passmore got seven minutes of statless run. When Bill chose death over playing a center with two first half fouls, oh my god, what the hell was that? Damn I'll give you the floor in a second to talk all about Griffin and all that, but Hunter Dickinson, and I'm not saying Hunter was the right choice for this game. Hunter Dickinson averages one foul in twenty one minutes this year. That is less than two fouls per forty. You could have him have three fouls in the first half, and you could have three fouls in the first half, and statistically he still wouldn't fall out playing every second the rest of the way. He does not need to be auto benched. And Bill self was like, I guess we're just gonna ride until the floor falls out. He put Hunter back in whenever they fall behind eight. It's like, why why are you playing that long without a center for someone who so hasn't to play everybody else? Like, that's insane, man, The two foul auto bench rule is idiotic. Okay, that's just my take on that. I know you want to talk about Griffin.
Speaker 2: Yeah I do, But I also want to say I think three out of three out of every four buckets that I see AJ Storm make is like the Chris Paul makes a big three to cut the lead to forty two.
Speaker 1: Meme can't think of a consequential shot AJ Store has North Carolina.
Speaker 2: I can't think of one. Uh, it's not great. Yeah, I know, Ryland Griffin, God, please just playing more. Just give him some run.
Speaker 1: Who do you want him to play over? I assume it's quit.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's quite And David Quot's a really good player too. But Ryland Griffin's a six six foot six wing that can shoot and drive.
Speaker 1: No, David Koit isn't David Kuoit doesn't get the Dewan Harris. Well, if he's not shooting, he still does other that. No, I'm not doing that already. They have a point guard that they say it about, and they have a four man that they say that, I'm not doing that with somebody else. So David kit in conference play in five games, okay, he's averaging thirteen minutes. In those five games, he scored five total points five That is one point zero per game while shooting ten percent from the flour and seven seven percent from three. Five. Charlie Moore is an All American Compared to that, David Coit has played sixty four minutes in conference play. He's one for fourteen shooting threes. He's two for twenty from the floor. He's ozer for two with the free throw line. Gosh, yeah, no that that this this cannot happen. He is he's a good shot creator and he brings value to a team. He's a ball handler off the bench. He cannot play over Ryland Griffin. If your offense isn't gonna get out of the fifties, that's that's asinine. Like I don't care how bad. Griffin is on defense, Coy is worse on offense, and you have other players on the floor that are supposed to help you defensively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll just I'll never understand the whole thing of what's going to the transfer portal. Let's get a high level transfer that played on a Final four team, and then let's not play him over a five foot seven shooting guard that shooting seven percent from three?
Speaker 1: Trust, man, It's all about trust.
Speaker 2: What what are we doing? And I'm look, I'm a full full imbecile. I am an idiot. If you listen to the show, you know I'm fully fledged stupid. But I know that's a dumb choice, Like what are we doing? Playing well? Put them in the game.
Speaker 1: It's resulted in so much offense as Kansas had one hundred and eleven points. That's really exciting. You know any time the Virginia score one hundred and eleven point Oh oh wait, I'm I'm being told it was in two games. They're Virginia, dude, that's please don't say they're Virginia.
Speaker 2: They are. No, they are Statistically you know what I'm going on a rant here, statistics, This team is Virginia. They are. This team is twenty eighteen Virginia, which, yeah, they won a title. Congratulations, they had to burn a pig.
Speaker 1: Eighteen, I was that it was the one that lost to the sixteen seed. Nineteen is the title one in nineteen?
Speaker 2: I lost track of years. I'm old. But the point is the Ken Palm rating for Virginia's offense in that twenty nineteen season was number forty. They had the number one defense in the country. Kansas is currently number four forty five and Kenna Palm on offense number three in defense. They are the same team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the problem, well, one, Virginia played in easier League two. Virginia had a lot of breaks in the NCAA tournament to win that, which who doesn't it happens. And the other part with Virginia is their offense wasn't sexy to watch, but they played at such a slow pace that their numbers were always gonna lean a little worse. Kansas doesn't play that slow. Kansas gets way more possessions to have finished the same number of points. Yeah they are. They are the worst team in the country getting the free throw line. As we just said, Yeah, that's great. Point guards. Duwan Harris, I thought, for my money had a miserable night. He finished with eight points and seven assists in thirty five minutes, three for six shooting. The misses were brutal. There was a try to try to go to the rim on a one on four fast break that didn't work. He churged over three times shack more twenty two minutes and added four points and four rebounds. Some fans wanted more to run the offense alongside three wings when kJ went out, but self rode Harris for thirty five minutes, all the way to fifty seven total points. I think the one Harris is a really good basketball player. However, However, if Hunter, Dickinson and kJ Adams aren't gonna score, you're you know Harris isn't and they're sixty percent of your guys aren't non scorers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if two of the big three won't score, let's give it to the guy with a head band that won't shoot when he's wide open.
Speaker 1: Enough of the big three, I'm so over the phrase big three. When two of those guys don't score more they score Harrison.
Speaker 2: One of them is an undersized power forward and the other weighs like one hundred and forty pounds and whar's a head band? I don't think you can call them the Big three, dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, and the Big three. We're not laughing at the all American in here. I know people aren't thrilled about Hunter. But the guy that's averaging this year sixteen and eleven and that wasn't all American last year, he's not in the satire in the satire Big three category. It's the point guard in the fore Man that are averaging a combined like seventeen points this year while playing seventy combined minutes. That's yeah, when when forty of your minutes just about every game are getting you twenty points total.
Speaker 2: I just I really it. I stay up late at night wondering what Bill self is thinking sometimes, what went through his head of we saw this team suck last year with these three core players. Let's go get guys in the portal. But we're gonna damn sure rely on the same three guys that we saw phil miserably last year, because that's gonna make things way better.
Speaker 1: My guess for what Bill self is thinking, which is it is it is really that? Yeah, it's it's his It's his style of basketball, which he's won with in the past. Granted, offenses have gotten a lot better since then. My guess for what Bill is thinking is, Okay, last year didn't go. But Harris and Dickinson and Adams were all for the most part, good basketball players. Last year. They had fine stats. I don't think anybody thinks those any of those three were bad last year. I think he's thinking, I have three good players. The problem was everybody else, which I think is that was the biggest problem last year was the guy's playing the two and three once mccolor went down, So I'll just I'll go get shooters, and now he's got them, but he doesn't want to play him because that's the way more free form basketball than he's ever used to. Yeah, he's gonna have to adjust it at some point, which I believe.
Speaker 2: If he doesn't, I don't think he will. I don't think he will. I really think he will. Yeah.
Speaker 1: All he's done his own career is adjust He's won more games than really coach. Yeah. Yes, look, what would just think? Yeah, people said this about the eighteen team whenever he had all those three point shooters, and they're like, he's never gonna embrace it. And they did. They made a final four.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but they didn't have there's no chance. And I look, I hope I'm wrong. Someone's gonna listen to this podcast and be like Kim hatesusme. No, I love Kansas. I've been to Kansas faim my whole life. I think he's gonna ride these guys until they lose in the round of thirty two to two.
Speaker 1: Ye Oh, I'm not saying that won't happen. I thought you meant like long term, going.
Speaker 2: For a long term yeah yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 1: No, I think eventually he'll find the right how to win in the transfer portal. Ye but no, this year, I and and I don't know what he's supposed to What is he supposed to do this year? Like how would you?
Speaker 2: What do you?
Speaker 1: What do you do? Like? This is the team he's built there halfway through a season where he's he's got a senior point guard, a senior center, and a senior fore man that he has played with for years and believes they can win.
Speaker 2: Like Harris win, I'm.
Speaker 1: A championship by the way, like they it's not. It's not a far cry from reality.
Speaker 2: No, he Harris can This team can win with Harris at point guard. They can win with kJ Adams contributing. But it's got to be with the right rotations, the right minutes.
Speaker 1: And what I think I think the thing with kJ is I think he's being put in an unfair position as well, because he loves Kansas, he loves being here, he wants to win here. He was made to be your Kevin Young come up off the bench for thirteen. How about Mitch Lightfoot from a few years ago. He was made to be in that role, come off and provide the energy. And something kJ can do that Mitch couldn't is actually put up numbers. kJ can do that. That's the role he should be in. I'm not saying that he should be forced into that role this year for just anybody, because I don't think they went out and found the piece that you need to put him in that role, the piece that I would love loved them to go get as a stretch for like a Grant Nelson type at Alabama. A six foot nine guy that can rebound and shoot the ball and you sacrifice defense and athleticism right self, doesn't want that piece. I'm not saying you force kJ into being a sixth man simply because he would be best there because they don't have the other people. Like, who are you playing at the four AJ store? You can't serious at this point. Yeah, no, like they They didn't self didn't put that roster together to maximize what I think is kJ strength. He may think that kJ strength is something else. But yeah, there's two guys that we haven't talked about. We don't really need to. Zeke Mayo was their best player. Seventeen points, seven for nineteen from the floor, three for nine from three, and thirty six minutes. They needed him to shoot a lot. He did. Nineteen attempts. He scored more than almost a third of the team's points by himself. He is fine and needs help.
Speaker 2: Yep, completely agree.
Speaker 1: Really good player, had a couple of dynamite three pointers where you're sitting there thinking, Man, I can't believe this guy grew up in Lawrence and the staff missed it until his last year in college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely agree.
Speaker 1: Tell me about Flory. He's the last one and there really hasn't a lot to talk about. But he great and flashes, but can't stay on the court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, foul troubles, we said before the game the floor was either going to be the X factor or guy that filed four times in eleven minutes. Take a guess of what happens. It was kind of both. Actually, he did foul four times in eleven minutes, but he was really impactful when he played, logging six points, four blocks, and three rebounds plus three turnovers in eleven minutes. He is going to be very good. I hope he's in Lawrence next year.
Speaker 1: Here's what I don't get with Flory. Florrie fouls almost exclusively when he's the only center on the floor, especially in these type of environments. Whenever he plays with Dickinson, he can go out a little further from the basket, and he uses his length to block more shots phel like, more of his jump shot phel Like. He blocks more as many jump shots as he has shots at the rim. He is at his best when he plays with Dickinson and Self. Albeit the first substitution Bill Self made was Flory forkj He went with the two bigs right away, Dickinson and Flory, and then he was real hesitant to use with the rest of way, probably because they both had foul trouble, but still that's the lineup I want to see utilized more. I want to see a point guard, two shooters, and both sinners. I think that's your best offensive lineup at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you imagine a lineup where it's like Florri Hunter Zeke Rylan.
Speaker 1: Point guard and throw Shack Moore out there because I thinks shooter than Harry.
Speaker 2: I agree, but it would have happened.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't be as good defensively, and that lineup blows up if either center gets into foul trouble. But that's that's I would I think if I was on, if I was running the show, I think that would be my switch. And and we said earlier that we said earlier that AJ is probably gonna start with kJ out. No he won't. It'll be floor he self will start, but doonga alongside Dickinson and they will squash Kansas State and everybody will be like, Wow, why didn't.
Speaker 2: They just do that all year school? Yes?
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Do we have any other takeaways from this game? I think we did a pretty good job recapping it, keeping it level headed, but also not just being like it's okay, everyone loses there. I will say this they're three and two in conference play. I still think this team wins fifteen conference games. You look at the schedule, this was always going to be an l Whenever you're putting together, you're let me find somewhere between four and eight games they lose. This was always going to be one of them. So, just strictly from a looking forward perspective, next four games for Kansas, they have case State at home. They'll be a huge favorite. At TCU, they'll be a favorite there, and then back to back home. He was against Houston, very tough game, but you're at home and UCF big favorite at home. They should assuming there's not a home loss in there. Three and one at worst, you expect four and oh. That would get them to seven and two through nine conference games. I gotta think that's top two in the conference at that point going into February, and the road schedule is breaking a little better for Kansas than we thought. I think from a what you said earlier, I think they're gonna win a lot of big twelve games. This doesn't change that. However, what is becoming a little more pessimistic the problems regardless of how many games this team wins in league play, the problems are gonna be there going into the tournament regardless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they're going to be quote air quotes fine. In terms of the regular season, They're going to win a lot of games. That's never been concern with Big twelve play. Yeah, they'll probably be about seven and two before heading to Waco. I just I'm pessimistic in terms of the style they're playing on offense doesn't translate typically to a lot of postseason success. So yep, maybe they'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: That's the sentence right there. If you give them fifteen Big twelve wins, what would that be going twelve and three the rest of the way, which I think is possible. Let's give them eleven and four, just for a little bit more of maybe what's more realistic. So eleven and four would be what twenty three and eight, twenty three and eight entering the Big twelve tournament. Say they win two games there and then lose, that gets you to twenty five and nine entering the Big twelve Tournament. Yeah, I think exactly are entering the NCAA's I think exactly what you just said is going to be what people say there good regular season a lot of quality wins, probably a three seed, but man, I just feel that sat one points exactly. Then you're crossing your fingers for matchups. Final score numbers here forty one percent from the floor, thirty one percent from three, a horrendous thirty six percent of the line. That's also not something we're super concerned about. This is a This is a good This team is good whenever it comes to uh, whenever it comes to making free throws. Not super concerned about that. They were minus ten on the glass. That was a problem, and they had seventeen turnovers, which is very, very bad. Overall, frustrating night for Kansas. The seventeen point loss makes it look worse than it was. And now they get to sharpen their teeth a little bit. With four winnable games coming up, we'll see how they bounce back by big twelve games. Well, Cam, if there's one thing that we can bet on, it's that no matter how poor Kansas plays, you know they won't be the worst team in the state. Because, oh my goodness, gracious, what happened in maybe this week? Faith Well Feed Families, Texas Tech sixty one Kansas State also known as on this amazing podcast as Them Bitches fifty seven Now Camp, Sam, If I told you right now that the game was tied with five minutes left and Texas Tech only scored four points after that, I know you're not great with math, terrible with math, But if you knew that those things were the truth, you'd have to probably like Kansas State's chances pretty good.
Speaker 2: Right, knowing nothing else in not having What if I had not watched the game? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What if I told you that with five minutes and fifty seconds left it was tied and then Texas Tech went on to score four points the rest of the game and Texas Tech won by four points? What would that tell you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kansas State is now seven losses in their last eight games. They would have won if they would have scored five points in the final six minutes, and instead they scored a zero. And after the game, Jerome Tang says, man, we had such a great week of practice, so I like the direction our team's going. Well, we'll see, you know, I'm gonna go frog Allen. They haven't won up fog Allen since you and Landon were in preschool. I think so can't can't help but think that that's a great bet to end a couple of.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine the Twitter mentions of Rock Chalk Blog if Kansas State were to win at far this weekend.
Speaker 1: If Kansas State beats Kansas this weekend, it will be the ugliest podcast from a questions and morale perspective, And my eleven years on this show twelve.
Speaker 2: I will be ten medellos deep, speaking in Latin trying to form form sentences if that were to happen.
Speaker 1: And that would be a realistic thing to do, considering how awful Twitter will look and how awful that game would look if Kansas State wins. Can you even can you even imagine.
Speaker 2: What the what? Oh my gosh, how many.
Speaker 1: Points will Kansas score if they if you're told right now they forty eight? Oh my god, I'm gonna say it that Kansas saint losing ninety to eighty eight. If Kansas loses, it's gonna be like, yeah, like fifties. Well like the game he just watched, I guess BYU eighty five Oklahoma State sixty nine. Wow, this is now we enter our string of uninteresting Big twelve games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the most interesting thing about this game was Oklahoma State scoring sixty nine points, which I believe that number was outlawed in Oklahoma until probably last year. Stily is Yeah, Yeah, both teams kind of suck. Oklahoma State apparently sucks more. The Cougars ran out to a forty one to fifteen lead, they saw it close to close to fifty one to forty seven, and then ran out again to close it out. Trevin Nell scored eighteen. He made four to threes pro bo. Probably gonna be a sad night for the Jayhawks.
Speaker 1: Or similarly a sad loss. Yeah, this is a very sad sad Mitchel. So what are Kansas's remaining road games? They have seven left, and they have two brutal ones. They have at Houston and at Baylor. Baylor is not as daunting as it was a few weeks ago, but still that's a tough game. You gave him losses there, and then they have five others that they should be favored in. You have at Kansas State who is awful, you have at BYU who's subpar, you have at Utah who's not any good. You have at TCU who's not any good. And you have at Colorado, who's the only winless team in the league, Like, I don't think we're gonna be talking about the road woes after this year. They should get their fair share of road wins. But I don't know if BYU will be one goold.
Speaker 2: I man, No, they they should. They shouldn't lose to BYU. But again, Bill Soolf has at least one terrible road loss per season. That might be the one.
Speaker 1: We said last year that they shouldn't lose to BYU. That was terrible. Yeah, it's cost him a perfect home record if I remember correctly. UCF ninety five, Arizona State eighty nine. A lot of points here, A cool forty forty points from Keyshawn Hall, which is almost as many as UCF as a team scored against Kansas two weeks ago. He carried the Knights to a road win. UCF is three and two in league play. They have bounced back nice from that Jayhawk loss. Couple of wins in there in the last week or so. For UCF, they're over five hundred despite being a minus forty seven I believe and aggregate conference totals. That's yeah, that's something.
Speaker 2: I'm on UCF keep winning. We need that quality win.
Speaker 1: Bat Arizona eighty one, number twenty five, Baylors seventy. I don't feel like a single Baylor recap has been interesting this year. They've just been so they've just been terminally there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Baylor just kind of exists. Yep, just like Scott's hair. Baylor beats who they should. They never beat anybody that they're an underdog against. That's five losses for them already. Arizona, meanwhile, has won seven in a row. Caleb Love has learned how to read and is five and zer one conference play. Henry V. Sawer scored nineteen points off the bench. I don't think Arizona's actually five and oh good in conference play. Good, but man, their schedule kind of opened up. Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they're a team that they had a good though, they are good. They're definitely like we saw an unlucky four and five and non con We always kind of thought eleven and five probably felt about right for them through sixteen games. We didn't think that five wins would be conference games. I mean, you look at how much that needle swung. They lost to West Virginia in a non conference game and a tournament, and then they beat West Virginia in a conference game. A few weeks later, like this is a weird schedule, but if you look at Arizona, like you tell me, I know that this sounds kind of funny because Kansas always sucks in Morgantown. But Kansas would be five and oh against his schedule. I think Baylor would too. They have TCU, they have at Cincinnati, they have at West Virginia, and then UCF and Baylor at home. Like that, it's about to get tougher for Arizona. They go at Texas Tech and their next game that's TOFF at Oklahoma State, not a good opponent, but still a road game. Iowa State comes into Tucson here in a couple of weeks. They have to go at BYU that's not an easy environment, and then they have a game against Houston, Baylor, and Kansas and a road game at Iowa State. All in the closing weeks. I think the losses will be there, but five and oh is good good for Aroson. They should be ranked assuming that they can win their next game. Number ten Houston seventy West Virginia fifty four. The Cougars are now five and oher in league play, and they're another one that you look at who they've played, and they should be five and oh they have a much tougher back scheduled than front, but they outscrapped West Virginia. Here twenty two points from Juwan Roberts and another eighteen from LJ. Cryer. I feel like we've all kind of forgotten about Houston. Iowa States really sexy and they're the one seed right now and all that, but Houston is really really dangerous and they just are. They continue to win the same style they always do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll be a really tough game for Kansas. I also think it's funny because, if I remember correctly, rock Chalk Blog before I was on the show, So I take no credit for this hate it on Houston with every fiber in their body and said they were frauds, and then they joined the Big twelve and Thember were really good.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly what happened. I'm glad that you have pay attention both before and after joining Rock Chalk Blog. I was wrong on Houston. That mainly stemmed from that mainly stemed from the Chris Reynolds stick, and it was ridiculous that Kansas was seeded to be low Houston. Now, Yeah, but no, Houston. They joined the league and punched everybody right in the mouth. They won fifteen conference games in their first year in the Big Twelve. So much for being acclimated to anything. They crushed it and they have been.
Speaker 2: Just hard to hate they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have a good coach, they have an entertaining style of basketball to watch guys buy into it. And what they were fifteen and three last year, so they're twenty and three in Big Twelve games thus far and their ten years as a conference member. Yeah, definitely very good, much less impressive. Both of these teams Utah seventy three, TCU sixty five. We knew that tc was bad, cam, we didn't know they were lose at home to Utah and a game they never led. Bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, TCU Jamie Dixon is what we like to call a welfare queen who collects checks and does not do much. TCU is one of the worst Big Twelve teams that you will ever see in Oklahoma State under Mike Boyton existed. They're also Kansas's next road game coming up next Wednesday. If Kansas loses that game, I'll probably walk into traffic. Seventeen points from Gaye manson Jamie Dixon probably all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta wonder what it would take, Like it's one of those are they gonna get anybody better takes? But also what have you done for me lately? Like did? Did?
Speaker 2: Did?
Speaker 1: Because TCU made the tournament last year, but they they lost quickly to Utah State, right because everybody was like, they might beat Purdue and then they didn't even get to Purdue. Uh they were they like and then I'm I remember a couple of years ago they should have beat Arizona. They had won a tournament game actually in each of the two years before that. But this is a team with two NCAA tournament wins in Jamie Dixon's entire tenure, Like it feels like it's insane, dude, Yeah, I mean this is his uh this is his tenth year at TCU, ninth year at tc they won two tournament games. Like it's also TCU. I don't know what you're expecting, but that's at some point it probably gets stale.
Speaker 2: Then there's the uh, he's a Michael Jordan of Bruce Webers.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to put it. I'm gonna steal that and tweet that here if I can do it, I don't care. I might wait. I might wait until Kansas wins there, but at least for now. Yeah, and then there's atrocious game between two teams that hadn't won before it happened. Cincinnati sixty eight, Colorado sixty. The Bearcats finally won a league game, dropping the Buffalos. They are the last winless team in the conference. The Buffaloes are ower and five. They're at the bottom by themselves. Simas Lacotius hit a late three to help Cincinnati pull away and end their losing streak. I think we all kind of think Cincinnati is kind of the anti Arizona. We expect Arizona's record to even out a little bit in a bad way, and I think we expect Cincinnati's record to even out a little in a good way. I wouldn't be surprised if this team finds its way back to about ten conference wins.
Speaker 2: They're significantly better than the record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just the offense. Much like Kansas, it's the offense that is leaving all.
Speaker 2: The questions darkness.
Speaker 1: My old friend, it works out just fine in Colorado because the Buffaloes are awful. Big twelve standings last week, we had three undefeated teams. We still do, Houston, Iowa State, and Arizona.
Speaker 2: They're all five and zero, KYU, West, Virginia, Baylor, Texas Tech. All you see, all tied at fourth at three and two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't have anybody that's four and one at this point. We'll see, I'm sure we'll see some movement here soon. In ninth place, TCU, Utah and BYU, a random hodgepodge of teams there. They are all two and three.
Speaker 2: In twelfth place Kansas State, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, and Cincinnati at one and.
Speaker 1: Four, and then all by themselves. In lonesome sixteenth place is Colorado they are zero and five. Other games, there is a lot more carnage than there was the week before. Here, two top five teams went down at home on the same night. Disappointing that you've been told before this week two top five teams are gonna lose, and you probably thought, yay, Bill, but nope, not him. Yell. He didn't deliver one of those number twenty one old miss shock Number four Alabama seventy four to sixty four by forcing an ungodly twenty one turnovers, proving even good offensive teams can have awful nights sometimes, and Missouri upset number five Florida in Gainesville eighty three eighty two. Look at you, Tigers. That deserves this. The Tigers are fourteen and three overall. That is a better record than the Jayhawks, and they appear to be in a position to get in a large berth. Caleb Grill yes, still in college. Caleb Grill scored twenty two for Missouri. Really nice win for the Tigers. I think it was just their third ever Top five win on the road and their first since many many moons ago when they did it at Allen Field House in the early two thousands. Really impressive, like they are probably a tournament team this year.
Speaker 2: Sadly they are, and Caleb Grill is really annoying. Yeah. Elsewhere in the SEC, number one Auburn is sixteen to one after beating number fifteen Mississippi State by twenty two at home. Number eight, Kentucky took down to Wade Tailor less eleventh ranked Texas A and N team eighty one to sixty nine at Roup Arena number six. Tennessee shook off a rough start to power pass Number twenty three Georgia seventy four to two fifty six.
Speaker 1: Tennessee had to have that game. They didn't play well in either of their two games last week, the drubbing in Florida, they barely survived at Texas they needed it, and then they had a horrible first half against the Bulldogs, a hot Bulldog team. They looked really good in the second half, winning with defense. The Big Ten saw mostly more of the same this week. I had to edit this paragraph to mostly because we did see it earlier. Today it was saw all of the same. So number twelve Michigan State won an unexpected shootout with Penn State and Breslin, and number seventeen per Due took care of Washington on the road. However, I can't believe it happened. Can we get to play drop because your native Michigan Wolverines lost to Minnesota. They did eighty one in overtime. That is the That is the equivalent of Houston. Not really, but you know, for standings places, that's the equivalent. I'm kind of been losing at TCU.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, that is actually Minnesota. I told you guys on the last show of Minnesota is really bad. I watched them play against Ohio State. They're not good. So that's a horrible loss for Michigan.
Speaker 1: Yeah Villanova, not Villanova, please, no, that just came on my TV. Not them again. Minnesota hadn't won a league game yet, and then they take down an undefeated Michigan team. Such is the Big Ten. Your Spartans are probably the favorite in that conference.
Speaker 2: Now they might be. I think they're pretty good. I'm a little nervous. I think they're very good.
Speaker 1: They are very good. We'll see if it sticks. But you know who I do not believe they're gonna be challenged with here in their Big Ten conference is Indiana because, oh my goodness, hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike Woodson, who is employed by the University of Indiana somehow, who also is shaped like mister potato Head and has the coaching skills in mister potato Head, drew the ire of the fans to the tune of fire Woodson chance. In the second half of an absolute boat racing by number nineteen Illinois put on the Hoosiers on Tuesday Night, the fighting a Line. I hung sixty in the first half. Oh count that's sixty points. That's more than Kansas will score in most of their games.
Speaker 1: It is more than Kansas this game.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and they want to winning ninety four to sixty nine. Nice but not so nice. Things are not good in Bloomington. And Mike Woodson is probably a wanted man.
Speaker 1: Why'd they bring back Mike Whitson? I remember it? You know they should fire him last year. Like we all knew this was gonna happen. This is a bill brings back the Big Three, sort of level obvious in the minds of some fans, like what did they expect to happen? They certainly did think he got sixty. He always recruise, he always getsruis Liam McNeely back the hell out of there. Sixty points in the first half. We all remember that that drubbing that Kentucky put on Kansas in the fog a couple of years ago. That was fifty one first half points. Illinois put sixty on Indiana in the first half.
Speaker 2: That is inconceivable. I don't know how they Assembly Hall is supposedly kind of, you know, a little bit below Allen field House. Can you imagine that happening that Allen field House?
Speaker 1: No, And I can't imagine kand awful any blue blood still having a Mike Woodson as their coach. This needs to end and it's sad to see Indiana in that current state.
Speaker 2: Don't hire Uh yeah, don'.
Speaker 1: Don't do that. We're not even talking about the ACC anymore regularly on the show because number three Duke has a ninety nine percent chance to win the league. According to Ken Palm, the Blue Devils are fifteen and two after getting twenty five points from not from con Kannupple and a thrashing of Miami, who is having one of the worst seasons that a Power five team has ever had. No hyperbole on that one. Miami since November seventeenth has had two coaches and they've won one time. They are one in thirteen since November seventeenth. That is three and oh to four and thirteen really really hard to do from a team that was late Kansas surge from going to the Final four. Just company they were in the Final four two years ago, weren't they?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure were there? You go, like just a complete fall from grace.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let you have this next one. I think you deserve it, all right.
Speaker 1: You know what I think I do too? I think I do too. I'm trying to find a fraud alert horn. See if I can a bomb alert up. Oh, there we go, there we go, there's your fraud alert horn going off, and was one of surprise. It's Porter Moser again. Well let's see what that loser did this week. Porter's Oklahoma Sooners. Well, they've played three ranked teams, but they got Texas at home, and we know Texas sucks. Rodney Terry can't coach his way out of a brown paper bag. Oh and they fall behind fifty one to twenty eight just a couple of minutes into the second half. Are you kidding me? Porter Moser. They wound up kind of clawing back and making a run, but they wound up losing by four. The Sooners are oh and four and none in SEC play after starting at thirteen and zero on the season. I legitimately cannot believe he is such a he is such a loser like this guy does this every single year. Nobody gags away conference games like Porter Moser does.
Speaker 2: Yes, sad, sad, sad loss.
Speaker 1: They were sad, sad, sad sad loss. Oh and four four.
Speaker 2: Sad loss or sad Landons Speaking of sad Landon's Landon might have trusted. I don't know if he did, but why would you trust Penny Hardaway on the road. Well, I'll tell you why, because temple exists. They scored eighty eight, Memphs scored eighty one, and he lost again on the road.
Speaker 1: And in this week's installment of did de Paul win? Oh? Well, survey says they did not, but they were right there. They led number seven Marquette by four with ninety seconds left, looking to pull the upset of the season would have been the upset of season in college basketball. But then all the Golden Eagles did was make two threes four silver time, and they ran away and ahead in the extra period. DePaul did make a couple of garbage time makes to lose by a more respectable eighty five eighty three, the opposite of Kansas, wherever they did not make it more respectable. DePaul is is losers now of thirty nine thirty nine straight conference games. That's almost one for every point Kansas scored the other day.
Speaker 2: As I I have no words, I yeah, how you're in Chicago, dude, Like there's good there's good players around here, Like do something.
Speaker 1: Instead they just get hammered every single day, right, since the last show. We got a lot of them today. Actually, Number four Alabama lost to an Old Miss team that is so well coached, and Chris Beard is a despicable person in a lot of ways. But whow can that man coach a basketball team that that That was a what he's done with old freaking Miss. He's made Mississippi a bona fide top twenty team into two.
Speaker 2: Years, beating the piss out of his wife in natoates. Number five Florida lost to Missouri.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it was funny and he did both of those things. Allegedly that is true, big time allegedly on that one.
Speaker 2: Oh man, uh Florida lost Missouri.
Speaker 1: Oh I got that one. I got? They lost to UH at number nine, damn it speaking of pain lost to the Cyclones three years in a row at Hilton Magic Yay.
Speaker 2: Number eleven Texas A and M and who I could definitely not name who their head coaches lost to Kentucky.
Speaker 1: It's buzz, isn't It isn't a buzz?
Speaker 2: I think it is buzz. I think it's buzz. That's the wrong buzz.
Speaker 1: You gotta put some respect down as is he did?
Speaker 2: Is he dead?
Speaker 1: His buzz all, I don't know he is. No, he's alive. He's ninety four. Wow, you go, buzz.
Speaker 2: He's basically dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's probably a better bas he's basically dead. I couldn't name the Mississippi State head coach. They're next on this list. Number fifteen Mississippi State. They lost to Auburn, but who doesn't.
Speaker 2: Number eighteen Penny Hardaway lost to Temple, another.
Speaker 1: One that dropped her. Number twenty Michigan lost to.
Speaker 2: You might as well just run through the entire top twenty five at this point. Number twenty two Utah State, which is news to me that they were ranked, lost to UNLV.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of those every year. Yeah, I was too whenever I put them on this list. Number twenty three Georgia lost to Tennessee. Weird to see them on that list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bizarre. Number twenty five Baylor lost to Arizona.
Speaker 1: Baylor just Keeter totters back and forth between being ranked like twenty fifth and losing, and then they beat a ranked team the next show, and then they're right back to twenty five, and yeah, it's just a mess. And Landon. Landon was the loser and pick them last week, just eight and seven, continuing to get a little bit more sweat on the brow for what the Pickham punishment is. It's not a good one.
Speaker 2: Nope, don't do it, folks.
Speaker 1: BA. So we have a lot of ascarcbs, and I always try to get the ascarcbs done by the one hour twenty minute mark. So we're gonna go. We're gonna go as long as we can here until it's time to turn the page. Let's start with the nazy one here. There should be a one word answer at KU tweets and news. Is there any possibility of a Remy Martin like resurgence for AJ Store? Nope, didn't think so, not even a little bit. No, Remy was an eighteen hundred point score entering Kansas. Remy was an all big like. Remy was a borderline All American entering Kansas like he always had that ability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's no hope for that. I'm sorry to break that to you.
Speaker 1: Store could play decently down the stretch. Is he gonna be a tournament X factor and win them NCAA games like Remy did? No, I'd be stunned that fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not gonna happen. He's not gonna play in an NCAA tournament game.
Speaker 1: At Jayhawk Junkies were really on the LEDs here. Will this program recover in the next few years or say middling for eternity, it feels like our run of being a top tier school is over. Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, I don't think it's that bad.
Speaker 1: Jayhawk Junkies is a good Twitter account. It is okay, buddy, it is okay. The first response is good Lord, which pretty much sums that one up. Yeah, they're gonna be just fine. They'll they'll go to the second weekend of the tournament this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know if i'd say that.
Speaker 1: Interesting question here at coach Underscore Chef, who was the better Kansas basketball player Hunter Dickinson or David McCormick.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, you take the answer first year.
Speaker 1: Dickinson's the better player. It's not that close. However, it's really weird to say that because McCormick hit quite possibly the second most important shot in the history of the school, with it being that turnaround hook shot like McCormick rose up in the last two games. But the hope for Dickinson is we never were talking about McCormick being a even an All Big twelve caliber player until the last two games of his career, still plenty of time for Dickinson to do something like that. And Dickinson's the better Kansas player regardless of how many of these moments he has than McCormick. But McCormick had the higher had the higher peak for sure, that's probably never getting topped.
Speaker 2: Agree, the only thing about Hunter Dickinson is he's a very slow player. And here's the random fact of the week that I know. I did not forget speaking a slow sloths. Did you know that sloughs are slow in every fast of their life. If they eat leaves, they have an incredibly slow digestive rate. It can take pretty much one day or even a week at times that complete their digestive system. And they're very picky when it comes to pooping. They make a journey from the top of a tree canopy all the way to the forest floor to poop.
Speaker 1: Really and sluts move very slowly. They could you could say they move slower than Hunter Dickinson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, they do. It's insane.
Speaker 1: So I guess that that asked the Cobart the question, how far would you go to take care of business. If you were in the.
Speaker 2: Woods, I mean, dude, I'm if I'm in the If I'm at the point where I'm living like the unibomber and I'm hanging out on a tree, I'm just letting it rip. It doesn't matter at that point.
Speaker 1: Just make sure to look down. Make sure no one's blow you first.
Speaker 2: If someone's blowd dude, who's gonna be blow me? I'm living in the woods, that's true.
Speaker 1: Make sure there's no animals below you, like, don't don't. Don't give them a bad day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 1: Here's a good question at James D. Bedford. Do you think the trio of Dickinson, Harris and Adams will outscore the Chiefs on Saturday? For reference, those three are currently so. For reference, those three are currently averaging thirty three points per game on the season. But if Adams has excluded you to injury, Hunt and One average twenty five combined. The Chiefs just played the Texans and scored twenty seven. That's really funny. I would say that Hunter plus Adams plus Harris, even if Adams doesn't play, they should still out score the Chiefs because I think Hunter's gonna score like twenty five points, and I think Harris will get a few. I think the Chiefs are gonna thump the Texans too. The Chiefs are gonna win like thirty one to twenty or.
Speaker 2: Something like that. But completely agree.
Speaker 1: I mean, and also, would you take the four home teams this week in the NFL or any other result?
Speaker 2: I would take any other result because I don't really want to see the Lions play the Eagles.
Speaker 1: Uh No, I mean, like, would you bet on it? What's most likely?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think that is the most likely. Actually, although I could see Baltimore beating the Bills.
Speaker 1: Uh I, yeah, I see. I don't see that one as much everybody's. I think it's stupid that the Ravens are favored. That game's gonna be real cold, the Bills are tough at home. I think Buffalo is gonna win that game. But we'll we'll, I agree, it'll be It'll be good, and then we'll see how how the Arrowhead game goes between the Chiefs and the Bills. At that point, at Elliott Ruson h one to lighten the mood and hopefully get a laugh out of everyone. Here is my question, based solely off of Ryan's reaction to looking this up Landon and Campbell. Landa's not here, but camp can hold down the fort. Guess what Ryan's favorite coach Tony Bennett's points per game was in college? Oh? Man, I didn't know Tony Bennett as coach Alayer as a player. I didn't know he. I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna all right, and I know nothing here, so I'm maybe close. I may be completely off. All right, I'm gonna go with one point nine points per game.
Speaker 1: Wow, I just I just saw the answer, and I am. I am legitimately beside myself. That is wow. That's there. You go. That's my reaction. Can you guess?
Speaker 2: Is that what it is?
Speaker 1: That's no, it is the complete and total opposite. Tony Bennett averaged in one hundred and eighteen games nineteen point four points per game. Yes, he played before the three point line, but in four years at Green Bay, Tony Bennett scored two eighty five points.
Speaker 2: Doug Gottlieb was smiling somewhere.
Speaker 1: I don't get to think, Yeah, that's insane.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Tony Bennett from nineteen eighty eight to nineteen ninety two average nineteen seventeen twenty two and twenty points and he was gay. Yes, he is the two time mid Continental Conference Player of the Year. Wow, that is an awesome find. Uh, that is an awesome fine elliott. I Yeah, that I love that kind of question. I legitimately would have never known that, which makes it all the more amazing. Why they he coaches the way he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well did rip yep?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he knew, he knew what was get out? All right, we got a five minute warning here, rapid fire. Now at me without and you how different would this team be if we were able to bring Riley Kougle on the team over Koight or Shack. Yeah. I kind of thought about that a little bit.
Speaker 2: Uh, not as much different, not different, not as much as you think.
Speaker 1: I think Google's at Mississippi State and he's averaging about the ten points a game he averaged at Florida last year. Like you know, he's he's he's a good player. But uh, I don't think it worked for a few reasons. And also Andy says, for fun, if you had three wishes for anything, what would they be? Standard wishrules apply. You cannot wish for love, and you cannot wish people back to life. So if standard rules apply, I guess we can't wish for one hundred more wishes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fair. I want a life size No, I want. Actually I can't say what I'm thinking. You go ahead.
Speaker 1: I am curious what that could have possibly meant, But I I do if we're strictly sticking to sports. Uh, if I can have any three wishes, I have three basketball players that I would love to see play. Can you guess.
Speaker 2: Wilt Chamberlain, Lebron, James Stephan Korea, Kansas.
Speaker 1: You're very very close. It was actually going to be a hunter Dickinson, kJ Adams into one Harris at Kansas.
Speaker 2: I'm oh, you get that wish?
Speaker 1: I wow, wish wish granted all less.
Speaker 2: With two NCAA tournament wins in a calendar year. What? I wish the energy drinks wouldn't kill my heart because I like them a lot. I wish that Chicago didn't have as much gun violence. I could walk down the street and feel safer. And then I also wish that it was warmer outside.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's that's three pretty good ones. I like that way to save it there at at dick Underscore Taser. I've been book marks by a lot of Iowa State fans by saying good, ready to come get your ass smashed in Lawrence here in February on Iowa stage Twitter, of course I'm right, but make your prediction. How many do you think Kansas will be Iowa State by? And Laurence say fifteen? Wow, that's okay. So that does feel like the game that could snowball on Iowa State a little bit. They're gonna Iowa State's gonna lose some games. They're a really good basketball team, but like they're going to lose some games. Here they almost lost the tech. They're not immune, and that does feel like a game where in home court home court stuff. I'll say Kansas wins that game by eight to ten points.
Speaker 2: I'll say they win by four. Also, I just saw a very confused looking Penny hard Away on my television screen while I watched them lose them at Odd Temple.
Speaker 1: So that's redundant. He's just taking He's just Penny Hardway what he looks like. Yet at Mayo Zeke Berner, do you see a path to a sixteen and four finish in Big Twelve? Play kind of think the defense and not playing store and quoit kept us right in it against the top three team in the sport. We're getting better and it starts with a seven man rotation. I agree they're getting at her, sixteen and four is hell a lofty. I think fifteen and five is the fifteen and five is the ceiling right now, and that's if they beat Iowa State and Houston at home, then you can only lose three more road games, which would be what they That would mean that they have to That mean they can go four and three on the road the rest of the way. That's not too bad, let's do it.
Speaker 2: I think fourteen and six.
Speaker 1: I I that's if they if they if they failed to win fifteen games. I think you're saying they lose at least one more at home because I don't know if the maths there with these bad teams are gonna play on the road.
Speaker 2: Agree. Yeah.
Speaker 1: At Preston's SKIRTSIK rate this meme and as irrelevancy as a picture of Bill Self saying oh, I have our Bill Self in the off season saying oh I have shooters now, and now Bill Self during the season saying they're on the bench, but we have them ten out of ten. It's accurate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really really good.
Speaker 1: And another one from Preston wants to know how big of a gut punch was it when Kansas was playing well with Florian Hunter on the floor and then self opted to immediately send back in a hurt kJ right when he got back to the bench. Yeah, we talked about that like that, the Hunter k the Hunter Floory lineups need to be more featured. It was a big gut punch.
Speaker 2: Completely agree. I think that's one of their best lineups honestly.
Speaker 1: At show me Hawk. Let's say Kansas gets to fifteen and five or sixteen and four, but as a game or two short of winning the league, will the regular season still be viewed as a success.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you win fifteen out of twenty Big twelve games just because Iowa State edges edges you out for a conference title. Yes, that's undoubtedly a success for sure.
Speaker 2: I mean winning the league now doesn't mean as much.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, and league's so much harder, the schedule's not balanced. Like yeah, completely agree. Yes, if they go fifteen to five or better, yes, it's a major success, especially considering you started zero to one. And Jayhawk also says the fan base is very reactionary. It didn't play great, but the game was close for thirty six minutes. When the Big twelve schedule was came out, we're all penciling this and as a loss if we win our next four their STONEGA spot correct. That is completely correct. Good way to word that. A couple more here. If we don't get to it, it's just because I'm running to beat the men hour and twenty minute clock. At b Helsey's three, kJ plays like if Jamari thought he was Frank Mason. Yeah, that's true. I think Kj's a lot better than some people give him. Plays a final tweet, he does want to ye know at Ryman underscore justin when does head coach Bill Self start thinking about next year's roster? At Jen J Hawk, I feel like coach Self can't get as emotional as he would a few years ago do to his heart condition, So we need somebody else to be the crazy person at KU that Bill can't and at DS. Yeah, bringing camp at DS conscious is Bill Self the guy you want KU coaching if the roster is this underwhelming? He has not been in the business of winning games an elite conference with any sort of talent deficit in a long time. All right, there's three Bill Self questions. Sort it all out for me.
Speaker 2: Yep, you want Bill Self as your coach, Hall of Fame coach, best coach in Kansas history. Can't remember the rest, but don't panic. They'll be fine. They'll be a three seed in NCAA tournament, probably losing the round of thirty two, and the next year will be better.
Speaker 1: Two we have we only have two lefts. So here's here's here you go at WBAJ hawk, how can you run a defense first team with hundred Dickons send in the lineup? Because the answer to that is really good. Well, and the answer to that is, yeah, they're a top three team on defense with Hunter in the lineup, like they have plenty of other players on the four, they're good defense. And then he says, how can you run offense effectively through Hunter and Harris Adams and more in the lineup? How does the talent fit?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Exactly, there you go. You're you're you're sacrificing. You're sacrificing what you don't have at this point. If you if you want to sacrifice some defense, you gotta have Hunter in there for the welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It just it just that's the way it's gonna have to work at this point. And at Howard Lapan, when is Bill going to see what appears to be obvious to the rest of us. Yeah, we talked about that. Their last and free throw yep uh and very last question. I promise you're at Jayhawk underscore style. Will self make a change with who is playing the majority of the minutes on this team or will run it into the ground in between. I don't think you're gonna see a big change. I also don't think they're gonna be running to the ground nail bit. All right, look, let us go rapid fire mode. If you ever ask our CBS Twitter hashtag Gascar, come on now there you'll all right, it's time for a preview against none other than the Bees. I'm not gonna play Sandstorm because they're not going to Manhattan yet, but I will play this. Oh it is Sandstorm. Sweet, let's go. I'll play a different one for you whenever we get some the Manhattan game.
Speaker 2: Has to be ready to run through a brick wall.
Speaker 1: Right, just like that Wildcats do whenever they get in that spot. Okay, Kansas State at number nine Kansas on Saturday at noon Oh yay, it's a noon CBS game at home. Those always go great for the Jayhawks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely never been a letdown spot.
Speaker 1: I'm giving you the floor. I have a mouthful of water and I'll give you the floor.
Speaker 2: All right. Kansas State Jerome teams Kansas Say Wildcats have been one of college basketball's most disappointing teams this season, as they enter at seven to nine, of their best two wins this year being Cincinnati and probably George Washington College not the President. The Cincinnati game is their only win since December one.
Speaker 1: Kansas State has a smaller than usual starting five that sees six foot nine, two hundred and twenty pound David and Guison. Is it in Guison? That can't be right?
Speaker 2: I think it's Ghassan there.
Speaker 1: That's it. It's gotta be David and Ghassan lead the squad with thirteen points in seven rebounds. He shoots sixty five percent from the floor and has been the lone bright spot in a disappointing season for the team. Next to him is four man Coleman Hawkins, a frighteningly disappointing Illinois transfer, averaging eleven and seven. He's barely shooting forty percent from the floor. Remember they had at cor Corp. They're seven foot center who has been hurt since November, So these guys are kind of just thrown out there. Also, the movie Landon has finally responded about two hours on the podcast. He says that he saw Nickel Boys, which I did not know was a real movie. He could be making it up. He could be trolling us.
Speaker 2: You have no idea. The backcourt has point guard Doug McDaniel, whose name was misspelled by his parents, which also runs in the family because he cannot read. His nine points and thirty seven percent three point right, but he only starts when God tells Jerome Tang to do so we'll be curious to see what happens this week. I Think's gonna tell him to start his good point guard today. The yeah, he he he'll need it. White Guy of the Game candidate Brendan Howsen is a six foot four guard that averages twelve points. He is the team's best three point shooter at forty percent from three. CJ. Jones, Max Jones, and McCool boy.
Speaker 1: Mac macle is that rightleb.
Speaker 2: I don't know something In italics rich all get reserved minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Housing has turned into a really nice player under Tang. He hasn't had a lot of development in his tenure at Case State, when Tang hasn't with like developing guys. But but in this particular case, this is a case wherever a player has gotten better over the course of his career at Case State, Housing is a good player. The wild Cat's best metric is they're passing, They protect the ball, and they run opponents off the three point line pretty well. They have a decent defensive set of numbers, and they typically avoid foul trouble experience and guard heavy play. We'll do that for you. Offensively, things are an absolute horror show. They shoot under forty five percent from the floor. They're barely at thirty four percent from three. They're barely inside the top three hundred and rebounding a staple of Jerome. Tang has been crappy rebounding over his time there. They're almost also allergic are there also almost as allergic at drawing free throws as Kansas is, which means the refs are going to somehow oh real quick. By the way, let me go back to this hold on one second, here Campbell. Okay, b So you mass played a basketball game last night? Did you did you do you have any idea how that game went? Did you see so last night? You mass you mass one at Fordham one hundred and twenty to one hundred and eighteen, in a game where a dude scored forties eight points while throwing up in a trash can the whole game. It was ridiculous. Do you know where I'm going with this?
Speaker 2: Wasn't it? I don't know, I don't know the number, but the amount of free throw shot yep.
Speaker 1: It is the most free throws ever in a collegiate basketball game. It is the first time four.
Speaker 2: Guys foul out.
Speaker 1: I think they had nine guys foul out. I'm looking at here. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. Nine players fouled out, which is a record. There were seventy nine fouls and an unbelievable, impossible, awful, devastating, hair on fire one hundred and twenty two free throws.
Speaker 2: That is awful. I like six just not even college basketball at that point. That's just sad.
Speaker 1: Worst basketball game in the history of basketball, while also being really good. The overtime score was forty one to thirty nine, which is something something Kansas joke here. I don't know, just wanted to throw that there. Now back to Kansas, Burt. Let's go right back to Kansas and Kansas State. Who will see a combined twelve free throw shot in this game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kansas State has served as a victim more times at Allen Field House than any other team in the country. Cutesphe Mikaylu Crip walking his way to the game. Any basket? Oh, I got yep, there you go. Bill Solva is twenty and one against the Wildcats, and Kansas has beaten their in state rival eighteen times in a row at home. Kansas State is one in twenty nine in their last thirty trips to Lawrence the Wildcasts. Wildcats have also lost eleven straight road games. What do you think happens?
Speaker 1: Well, the first thing I think happens is I bought so I'm cheap and you know prices are high here, So I bought the Walmart. Oh no, not to this game. This is completely unrelated. I'm just being stupid. So I bought the Walmart. The Walmart like twist up brand of Lemon lime soda like the Walmart brand is good Okay, it is really good. It tastes just like sprite V. But but after it's been sitting here for two hours. I opened at the start of the show. Now at the end of the show, it just tastes like lemons syrup, So it's not as good after it loses its crisp.
Speaker 2: Does it tastes like someone took a lemon through it across a room and just yelled pee.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know about the pee part, but I do eat lemons. Lemons are good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the lemons. What do you think about Kansas State? It's her home.
Speaker 1: Dang is a lemon? I guess in this game, look like we're not gonna try too much to analyze this, And this is our promise on the front part of this to not overreact when this eventually happens and act like that the planet is saved. Kansas is going to wipe the floor with Kansas. They are going to just obliterate and do naughty, not safe for work things in the Wildcats, I'm gonna say ninety to sixty six.
Speaker 2: I comp agree. I have Kansas winning by a lot eighty two to forty eight in the game. That is not close at all. In Jerome Tang does not shake anybody's hands.
Speaker 1: Out that that is true. That is that that does happen quite a bit with him. Uh but no, like, look like I know we're kind of picking a homer. Pick Kansas off a loss. Kansas is so much better at home. Uh, the defense for kh has been really good. Kansas State cannot score out all the state. Kansas State is a horrible road team. Like, yeah, Kansas should should have no problems here and whenever they have.
Speaker 2: Mickelson hates Coleman Hawkins.
Speaker 1: By the way, Yeah, those two don't like each other. That's not just the one way street either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they hate each other. So I expect I I don't know, I wouldn't I kind of Here's here's I wish I could bet on this. I bet Hunter Dickinson gets a flager one in this game.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good that's a good bet. It feels like it'll get shifty. Kansas is probably gonna be kind of pissed after the Iowa State game. And you know that well, I mean, you know what's gonna happen, Like, you've watched this game enough. Last year's Kansas team wasn't really that good. For Kansas standards, and they still blew out Case State on Senior Day.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, it's not gonna be close.
Speaker 1: They should and if it is, then there are legit problems. I know that anyone can beat anyone in this conference, right you say that, but Kansas should have very little. This shouldn't be a game at halftime, like seriously, they need a step on their throat, and I think they will.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Other games Number ten, Houston at Central Florida. Are you betting on the Cougars to stay undefeated? Low key sneaky test.
Speaker 2: Here, No, they're They're definitely gonna win Houston.
Speaker 1: I think they win, but I think it'll be kind of close. And this is UCF's chance. They obviously had a chance with Kansas that did not go well. You have UCF coming to town now, and are you have Houston coming town now? Chance to announce yourself? If they win this game, I think they're in the driver's seat for a tournament bid. But I agree, I don't think they will. Arizona State at Cincinnati, we go with the Bearcats to win their second straight?
Speaker 2: I am yes, agreed.
Speaker 1: Arizona at Texas Tech, are you going with Arizona's who go to six and oh.
Speaker 2: I'm not this is where they take the first loss. Texas Tech at home.
Speaker 1: I agree, we all think that's how this one goes. Lubbock is really tough place to play, and I don't see him losing. Tune a row there. Arizona's due Colorado at Oklahoma State. Oh my gosh, I will say Colorado gets their first, their first road win.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. I'll tell oh Man, I'll take Colorado.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma State is sad. Number two. Iowa State at West Virginia. Interesting spot here Land and thinks that the Mountaineers pull the upset.
Speaker 2: What say you, I'm tempted. I don't think they do. I think Iowa State is really good.
Speaker 1: Okay, I will also pick the upset here. I think West Virginia takes down Iowa State just so hard to win them or all. And Iowa State has put so much emotion into their comeback in Lubbock, and then they come home and play Kansas like eventually, if this conference is as good as people say it is, then you're gonna get tripped up eventually. And I think this is where Iowa State takes a close loss. But certainly there. I wouldn't put money on it. B Yu at Utah also wouldn't watch this game.
Speaker 2: For me. We wore Maybe this.
Speaker 1: Is a fifty to fifty game. I will take the Cougars on the road.
Speaker 2: Utah just won a game. It's a riley, you know what? Give me Utah?
Speaker 1: All right, fire up the utes. They will that will be They'll be three in a row if they win. Right, they won, they beat they beat Oklahoma State, they beat TCU like they're they're feeling it right now. We'll see what happens. Maybe TCU at number twenty five Baylor. We all want the Bears. I don't know if I'll pick TCU this year. Yeah, really rough and other games. Number four Alabama at number eight Kentucky. Do the Crimson Tide bounce back at We're up? They crushed them last year?
Speaker 2: Oh boy? Uh sure? Why not give me? No? You know what you not give me? Bama? Screwt Natoates.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I think this is this is the sort of game that they're really good teams avoid losing tu in a row. I think Bama bounces back and wins it rop I agree. Number one Auburn at number twenty three Georgia. That's tempting, but I will ride with the number one team.
Speaker 2: I'm still taking Bruce Pearl.
Speaker 1: Number seventeen, Perdue at number thirteen Oregon and a Big ten showdown. Eugene's a pretty tough place to play, and Purdue has been playing well. I say they get tripped up here.
Speaker 2: I agree. I don't think produce that good.
Speaker 1: And I yeah, I agree with I agree with the Oregon pick. I didn't ward it super clearly, but I'll go with the Ducks. Number twenty four Wisconsin, who will not have aj store at USC. Eric Musselman gonna get a win. I don't. I hate all things Wisconsin, so I say he does.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna actually follow suit here and take USC. I don't think either team is that good, but weird, weird place to play.
Speaker 1: Number six Tennessee at Vanderbilt. That's a rivalry, isn't it? Like that's a that's kind of a link. How good is Vanderbilt this year? Any good?
Speaker 2: It's Vanderbilt, dude, don't overthink it.
Speaker 1: Let's see Vanderbilt is fourteen and three. Let's see they lost to Missouri the other day. They're two and two in the SEC, which it's a good league. They beat TCU on the road.
Speaker 2: I'm taking Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're right. I think they're better. Number twenty one Old miss at number fifteen Mississippi State. I like State at home here will Miss off a big.
Speaker 2: Win yep, bounce back game form Mississippi.
Speaker 1: State and a really intriguing big ten game. Number nineteen Illinois at number twelve. Michigan State Spartans are the loane undefeated in the conference right now. Does it stay that way?
Speaker 2: I think it does. Signature win for tom As though.
Speaker 1: Agree they have been on fiery scent and they get another one. So our next show will be Sunday afternoon, where we will hopefully be talking about a big win for the jay Birds. They play the Wildcats this weekend. The Chiefs have a playoff game, The Lions have a playoff game. For you, Cam, I'm sure you're excited and not scared or terrified as all.
Speaker 2: Terrified.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean only the most terrifying rookie quarterback in the history of professional football coming in the year teams building here, I'm nothing could.
Speaker 2: Go wrong, right, I've seen this movie before.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see, We'll be back after a weekend of sports and it should be pretty good. This is inside the paint. Thank you Cam for your dedication. Landon, we'll have back on the next show. All of us. Oh, of course, plasures all ours.
Speaker 2: I'm Ryan Lanson and I am a semi less said.
Speaker 1: Caam semi less sad than me or then you were at the beginning of the show.
Speaker 2: At the bend of the show talking about this is like there, oh, and we need this after Iowa State obliterates Kansas in the last five minutes.
Speaker 1: That's right. You can always count on us. You can always count.
Speaker 2: On us terrible takes and mental illness.
Speaker 1: Bye Landing.