Speaker 1: Streamy live on the Ihearts Radio. While this is High on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen.
Speaker 2: Fifty Hey, welcome back, everybody. I'm Steve Rivera in today with me as Troy Hutcherson and we got Kobe with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is High on the Ball Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen.
Speaker 2: To fifty eight.
Speaker 3: The Jets high former lines defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn as their twenty second head coach and their fifth head coach in ten years. Aaron Glenn was also the Jets first round draft pick in the nineteen ninety four draft, playing with the team for seven years and earning two Pro Bowls.
Speaker 2: Will he be the answer? Probably not. You know, good coach.
Speaker 4: They had a good defenses here that got riddled with injuries down the stretch of the season. But I don't know what the answer is for the Jets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're jinxed. Well you would know you're Jets fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this is it's just doesn't doesn't get worse. I mean, same cycle over over again. Fire the coach, get a new coach, get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't like the higher personally. I would like more offensive minded coach. So you're twenty or twenty one, twenty, Okay, so you've had a tough childhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how many times have they wont in your time?
Speaker 3: They haven't made the playoffs since twenty fourteen, longest drought in sports.
Speaker 2: And they haven't won much in that in your lifetime.
Speaker 3: No, they made the ANFTY Championship with Rex Ryan.
Speaker 2: But yeah that's all I remember. Yeah, Oh good. I hope you have a good future.
Speaker 3: I The Miami Heat have suspended Jimmy Butler two games for missing a team flight amid ongoing trade rumors with the Suns and the Bucks as potential destinations. As this is Butler's second suspension in two weeks, He's done.
Speaker 2: He wants, Oh yeah, you know what, you makes a game a lot. I saw it today. I was watching the NBA to day. More than a lot of us world in one game. Yeah, three sixty four, Yeah, three hundred thousand, and he can't find the passion to play three hundred and sixty four thousand dollars a game.
Speaker 4: You know, as a Suns fan, it's gonna work out for them. They're gonna get bubbler eventually, because that's how the NBA works. But this is why people get tired of the NBA. A star is making you know, is about to make fifty five million if he signs option into this option next season, but he can't find the passion he wants out he can playing. You're on a playoff team, Shut up and play.
Speaker 2: It's that simple. Well see you see you're it's a player driven league. No, no, Troy, I know you're a little veteran now covering this team. I've been doing it too long. I've already been jaded for a long time. It's it's headed that way, and it's been that way for a while. Look at look at the NC DOUBLEA. Now it's a player driven they're in charge of the of what's going on. You don't like me, you don't play me, I'm going. I'm gone. Now this is the same situation, just but you're You're in every league. It's pretty much I don't like it. I'm gonna go.
Speaker 4: NBA is the worst. So you don't see no question. You don't see MLB being able to move that easily. NFL they can't move that easily. There's some tyrants, you know, and stuff like that. But this is I don't feel like playing. I have more power than the ownership group by.
Speaker 2: Right, no question. It's just you know, I could tell people on this show I'm not a sports fan, and this is one of the reasons you just get to talk about it. It's yeah, it's you know, to tell you I get about maybe ten years left of doing what I do and love what I do. Obviously you got a long time if you can continue both you guys, But this is what you'll do with every year?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, it will get worse every year. Oh yeah, because you've already opened Pandora's box. You can't shut it.
Speaker 2: No, and it's going to be worse even at the this level that we cover. I wouldn't guess how much Caleb's making. I wouldn't guessed how much no one is making. But but I'm sure it's a lot. And how did that go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that I think the issue of today is, let's let's be honest. A lot of plays were making money back in the day. That sure nobody under the table. The difference is that transfer portal rules where I can go, hey, this didn't work out this year. This guy's gonna give me a little bit more. Bye, I'm transferring again. I'm on my fourth school, and for.
Speaker 2: Sure we see that a lot.
Speaker 4: They need to reel it in with the transfers a little bit.
Speaker 2: But how do you do that? Yeah, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: Arizona baseball pick to finish second in the Big Twelve in debut season.
Speaker 2: They're I think nineteenth eighteen. I thought I was twenty first. They could be nineteen to that range though, yeah, twenty one last week. I make sure there's more than one Polly.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna try to get Chip Hail next week to talk about all this. They've been good and lust he's had them pretty good. They've been solid. Yeah, saw what that means? What I mean?
Speaker 4: They're making the post reason, they're making a run, they're not making a deep run.
Speaker 2: No, So that's solid. You're you're winning the conference. Okay, so that's solid. Is there a little basketball solid exactly?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: No, no, it's a serious question.
Speaker 7: No. No.
Speaker 4: I well it was on the basketball that they've been solid, but they haven't been the expectations of Arizona. I think the same could be sad for baseball. The expectations haven't been met. Oh well, okay, good.
Speaker 3: Arizona women's basketball gets first home win in Big Twelve play vers Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I guess one of the reserves came through yesterday. Yeah. Swan she was a player of the Week and the Big Twelve. She's the one that had a lot of points last Yeah. She she was a great interview at the end of the game. I saw that on TV and she was very critical of herself. She said, when Adia gets on her and she appreciates it, she plays better. So, oh wow, refreshing, And.
Speaker 4: You got to find those players. She's going to find those better because that's her coaching stuff. Same back in the day of Bobby Huggins, same with BoNT Night. And I'm not saying she's like that's agreed, but if you're a hard nosed coach, you better have hard.
Speaker 2: Nose players that you appreciate that coaching. Sure, and I think over the last few years she hasn't found those players. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Head coach Kevin O'Connell has been voted as coach of the Year by the PF.
Speaker 2: You a good coach. I mean they did put fourteen and two or fourteen whatever it was, fourteen three, fourteen two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first round exit. I mean you had Sam Darnold nobody expected that out of Sam Donald. Right, should you have been coach of the Year, I don't know. I would have given it to Dan Campbell with how many injuries they had into Yeah, you won the you won the conference league, right.
Speaker 2: I mean you won the division? Who votes for that?
Speaker 3: This is the pro football writers?
Speaker 2: Okay, butch of writers don't know what they're talking. I am one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it for today's breaking.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay. There's still some thoughts that that the NBA might have an international league. I guess yeah. Commissioners Silver talking about that today officially. But Lebron's not part of it. He said, No, I'm not part of it. Not gonna be back.
Speaker 4: Can we stop changing stuff and we appreciate what's good and what you have on the on the court and go back to maybe a little bit more rugged style.
Speaker 2: No, your Pendora's box is open, like you said, And realistically, I wouldn't know what the percentage. Maybe you can google it on their thing. How many international players are in the NBA Now, I'm cauching maybe thirty forty percent. I was gonna say near that thirty five forty. It was just maybe I don't know. Aaron Gordon maybe maybe ten years say ten years ago, uh, maybe a little less, when the guys were coming out early, right, a little early, and the euro euros were being picked ahead of them, and people were saying that shouldn't be allowed. You know, this is the you know, the United States's NBA. No, no, no, no, it doesn't work. Life isn't like that. If you have a guy who's better at it than you from Mexico or Russia or whatever, you're going to hire the guy.
Speaker 4: And I remember a show here locally, I can't remember who it was, but they were saying that, oh, why is DeAndre Aiden projected behind Luca? Luca shouldn't be a head of eight and eighty in place college basketball?
Speaker 2: And da da da dah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Luca's going up against guys I'm twenty five, thirty man at sixteen seventeen years old right now?
Speaker 2: Was Aiden drafting number one? Did he get making an NBA finals?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: I want to call him a buds, But look what Luka Doncicas. What was the same you heard of DeAndre lately?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Late? Oh, I was gonna say when he got snowed in and couldn't play last year, and that was a self inflicted wound. Did he get Yeah, but I haven't heard his name much now, and you get maybe you get lost in Portland, but you get lost in being okay with being mediocre. Yeah, yeah, yeah, who would you take? And I said this all the way from I'm just saying this just to the pop of my head. Uh Aidan or marketing. I think Mark Oh without qu I wouldn't even have a second thought, because one's hungrier. Yeah, and I thought that when he came here. I love the way marketing to play inside outside. He good body, He could shoot it. He can. He was aggressive for yeada yea now now if you give me the hunger.
Speaker 4: In terms of talent, I think Aiden's one of the more talented players Arizona's ever had.
Speaker 2: But if you don't have that drive, he didn't have it for for the time.
Speaker 4: He didn't have it for Arizona. He rarely had it in high school. I have heard from many people he did. He definitely didn't have it with Phoenix. He definitely doesn't have it in Portland. You are who you are if you have a team lies one talent, but you don't you don't care.
Speaker 2: What does that matter? Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: There are one hundred and twenty five international players, one on each team.
Speaker 2: At least on the team, one hundred and twenty five points. The rosters ten twelve thirteenth players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thirteen, that's the most international players.
Speaker 2: It's going to be about twenty five percent. Then, yeah, twenty five percent of them. Yeah. Did you know who's the start for Oklahoma? Sag gah whatever? Canadian? He's Canadian. He didn't play college? No, yeah, yeah, you played Kentucky. Oh, he was one of those guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Kentucky one and then okay, but he wasn't great at Kentucky. You kind of kind of similar to Russell Westbrook at UCLA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes go under the under the wire a little bit, your top ten picks and then all of a sudden you burst out. Yeah no, no, I didn't. I didn't remember that. I didn't realize that. But yeah, no, he's fantastic. Yeah, and he could be the new face outside of Wimby. Well, there's one BEYONDA. There's also well, let me, I think he's going to be better than one BEYONDA. To be honest, well, I do, I think where did you come from? What it's a guard driven league. Yeah, but that dude's fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but if you haven't been played at the perimeter, taking ten threes a game.
Speaker 2: It makes sure make sure that this is his last day. Do you remind me of what I haven't on? Just say never mind, never mind?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay. My point is it's a guard driven league. And you look at the faces of the NBA. Let's talk about that. They're not American players. You're talking about Luka Doncics, you're talking about uh, you're talking about the Greek freak. You're talking about now, Shane Giltrick's Alexander. Where do you get to an uh American player?
Speaker 2: How old?
Speaker 4: He's maybe Minnesota? What's the saying? I can't think of it off the top of my head right now. Yeah, jo no, no, no, no, non, Anthony Edwards, John Morant, that's another one.
Speaker 2: But they're not better than those guys. Yeah no. And we've been talking about that for years now, that the invasion from the euros or international players. What's there?
Speaker 4: What's the difference between European basketball and American basketball right now?
Speaker 2: European fundamentals, that's it. But it's always been the case. But it's always been the case. But back in the day, you didn't have so many aaus.
Speaker 4: You had the players coming out of high schools, coming out of colleges where they trained with the one guy, one voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where you asked the question for the exactly the coach. No, No, you've always had that, You've always had that, But no, it's more prominent, always had that. It's just not a structured situation. That's I think that's what you're getting at, because you could have somebody's uncle coaching and yeah, yeah, yeah, it's not structured. Yeah, yeah, no, and you said it earlier. I mean they're when they're when the sixteen year olds are playing against the man, you learn to get good quickly exactly. Yeah, and that's what they're doing. I remember Luta did Jeffson something so Luton and Bobby Huggins were that had to be ninety one ninety two when I first started coming louton back in the day, and they had a they had a thing in Phoenix and and part of my story was they went to Europe or they went overseas to coach you know, the Euros, you know, just to be part to get the game going outside. That was thirty five years ago, and he says, he says, Steve, it's going to be huge down the road. They're going to be coming in huge and low and behold, it's been huge for last ten to fifteen twenty years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, actually have been nineties. Really, Eric, Derek, you've had you know, you've had a lot of the lock back with the Lakers. Who was his who was his friend that played for the Portland trail Blazers and the nets at the time with dec they did they did a thirty for thirty because they had a falling out because of oh yeah.
Speaker 2: The war going on. Well there's also the one that to Sacramento wasn't a sacramental picture. Yeah, well patriots or whatever. That's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's when so many more and the kid from Gonzaga, his dad, the big dude. Yeah, Sabonas and a lot more. I mean, those are just a couple that we named off the top of trad But sure it's growing, No.
Speaker 2: And it's going to continue to go. You're gonna take the jobs out of the Hey, the loves of the world, we're looking for jobs, and that's why they're going to try to get this international Nothing going, which would help kids looking for jobs from here. Ye. If that's the case, I don't know what the situation will be. Hey, let's take the break. Now, let's go. Now, it's all right, it's all right. You can take a break and we'll get ahold of PJ. Brown on the other side.
Speaker 1: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Check that's check Enter in right now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 8: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino Deel Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasca.
Speaker 9: Yukie try The window depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 9: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you whether you're choosing for Monday to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip, we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 3: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health. Our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 11: Edge and exercise equipment On twenty second just west of will not Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 11: Salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards.
Speaker 2: It's time to restock your.
Speaker 11: Promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman. Visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three H eight seven Arizona BK nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to lyric syncredit greates and available loan programs or subjec to change the NUNT notice.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 13: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at a chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports.
Speaker 2: Cards and trading card games.
Speaker 13: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: Richard butcall Law Office, defending Arizona for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five two OHO seven to four to ZHO twelve thirteen, browd sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Go cats, got.
Speaker 5: Bugs, termites, fees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, spies or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredibly event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The game They're set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium.
Speaker 2: Feel the excitement.
Speaker 6: This powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China and Columbia take the field. Visit World Baseball Classic dot com to cure your seat today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the xys and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to laz of ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, your Troy Hutchison, and we got Cody Kobe at the at the controls here, and now we have PJ Brown from the Arizona DA. They star on the phone. PJ, how are you good?
Speaker 14: How are you guys doing?
Speaker 2: We're doing fine. You've been busy this year with this team here. Give me a quick email of what you've seen so far.
Speaker 7: Sure, they've had a lot of growing pains, very young team, and the last couple of games they seem to start putting things together.
Speaker 14: They're on a two game winning streak.
Speaker 7: They'd be Kansas at Kansas and last night they'd be Cincinnati at McHale Center. And if they keep going like this, they have a shot at making the NCAA tournament. They've got thirteen wins right now and their net ranking as of this morning was sixty three. So if they keep winning and keep winning, sneak a couple they have a couple of big games coming up. If they could steal a win somewhere, they could make it. Otherwise they won't. You know, it's it's that easy. It's it's all about winning at this point, you.
Speaker 2: Know, PJ.
Speaker 4: We've kind of talked about it feels like this for idea in women's basketball in terms of the offensive end and developing and young players coming together. Where have you seen them grow on that side of the court, especially with players like Jada Williams and other young talented stars out there on the on the court for Arizona.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I you know, it's really interesting.
Speaker 7: I think that we're seeing, you know, Lauren Twine who got injured last night, hopefully she'll be back into uh in Saturday's game. She's a shooter, and she'd come off the bench or started, and it really looks good on the offensive side. Jada has worked really hard on her game and her shot, all aspects of her game and her shot, and she's putting up numbers, she might not be as efficient as.
Speaker 14: She would like to be.
Speaker 7: Part of it is, you.
Speaker 14: Know, as they've been going.
Speaker 7: Through this kind of rough patch, right, they've you know, end of the shot clock.
Speaker 14: Who gets the ball.
Speaker 7: Of course, it's Jada because she wants it and she's she's that person who will take that shot. Lauren will take it too, but mainly it's Jada who's taking And so a lot of times you know, at that point you're taking on a great shot, right because it's not set up for that. And so there's there's been a lot of that. But I think with the addition of Lauren out on the court and Maylene Rolf who's who's a really good freshman as well, I think that really helps Jada. They helped create shots for Jada, and I think it opens up Dada a little bit more so she can get the better shot and and not take a crazy.
Speaker 14: Circus shot at the end. Right.
Speaker 7: So I think that I think Brea has Obviously she's grown tremendously over last year.
Speaker 14: Her defense.
Speaker 7: I think during the and during that three game losing streak when they played against Baylor, They've played.
Speaker 14: Iowa State and then they went to.
Speaker 7: Kansas State, who are three top teams in the Big Twelve. She went toe to toe against some of the best centers in the country in Ioka Lee at Kansas State and Audie Crooks at Date, and she shut them down. She really neutralized them. And she's a sophomore. She's grown tremendously and she's still one of the best offense efficient offensive players in the league, in the country and in the league. And so she has been really steady and consistent for them, and that's been really important. And someone who's come on late during the Big Twelve play is you have to talk about Isis Bay. She really took to heart that this was her last season. She came back for that extra season and got into shape and has really over the past six games or eight games of now eight of the Big Twelve play has really shown She's always been a smart player on the court, always does the right things, but now she's looking for her shot. She's been more aggressive on the offensive end, and you know, when all these pieces come together, they win games like they've won the last couple of games.
Speaker 4: You know, looking at the conference and I think a lot of people said this going into the Big Twelve coming from the Pac twelve. PAC twelve being so dominant in women's basketball top to bottom that there was room for Arizona to do a little bit more than maybe would have been expected if they were in the Pac twelve this season, given how the Big twelve lines up, still a very competitive conference. How you know, Arizona's kind of right there in the middle with Iowa State, Colorado. I think West Virginia is right in that range as well. How close are they to getting into that other range of you know, the Utah's the Oklahoma State who's had a surprisingly good year this year as well. How close are they to getting into that range of the conference.
Speaker 7: Well, they're four and four and they've gone through and played most of the top teams.
Speaker 14: In the league.
Speaker 7: So they've played Iowa State, They've played Baylor's top team, Kansas State, and and you mentioned Utah, but you know they have TCU left and.
Speaker 14: So in Oklahoma State.
Speaker 7: You know, there they are right in the middle of that group.
Speaker 14: At the sort of the that middle part. You know, that's the thing.
Speaker 7: If they play like they've played the last couple of games. They played really well against Baylor, took a to overtime just couldn't finish, right. You look at last year's team too, at the beginning of January, they had a tough time in the Pac twelve. Remember, they played a lot of games into overtime.
Speaker 14: And they just couldn't win. There was a lot of that.
Speaker 7: Sometimes you have a team in a season where you're close, but you just can't get over that hump, right, And there are a lot there's a lot of.
Speaker 14: Things that go into that.
Speaker 7: I think that you know, they have the pieces, right if they all continue to raise their level and be as consistent as Brea has or even Jada or Isis who's come on and during Big twelve play, if they can all keep raising their games like they have and all be consistent and get the four or five players in double figures and play the tight defense that they can play that they've shown that they can play, you know, I think that they they probably bump up from maybe that eighth spot to the sixth spot or possibly the fifth spot. I think that they're right in there. And again, I think it's all about you know, stealing a game, one or two games. And I was listening to you guys earlier. When you win the games, you're supposed to right, yea, And if they continue to do that right. Colorado's had an up and down here. I know they go to Colorado and sometimes it's hard to play there. But if they can beat them, because they should beat them. They play Arizona State twice. I know it's a rival, and that's always a tough game, but they should beat them, right, if they can win those games.
Speaker 14: They already beat b Yu.
Speaker 7: B Yu for some reason is not playing having a good well thought, they'd have a better season if they can they play them here again. If they could beat them again, that that helps, you know. So I think if they can do that steal a game or two somewhere down the line, I really think that they're in good shape. But it depends, if you know. Anything can happen with teams. Right, they can go on a big run. They cannot go on a big run. They can get stuck in that losing street. So we'll see what happens the rest of the way.
Speaker 2: PJ, You've been covering the team for a while now, a long time. You know, no one knows Adea better than you. Is she frustrated with this? Is she okay with this? She knows that she can. She's right there. What's her emotion?
Speaker 7: I think, you know, she's just head down doing the work right, teaching the kids, finding she's found a different way to teach them. She shows them a lot of films so they can see on film what they're doing wrong and what they're doing right, so that they can go, oh, I shouldn't be doing that right and they can figure out what they should be doing. I think it's always a challenge for her. And would she like a team that's senior, like she had five seniors? Right of course she would, Right of course, she would like that more experienced team that they could have just been, you know, had sixteen wins already, but they're at thirteen and this is the way the season's playing out. Yeah, she's just busy grinding and working hard and trying to teach her kids the right way to play and make sure that you know, hopefully they bring the effort and they fight and they do all the stuff that what her standards are. And that's where she is right now, just battling it out.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you, because we've seen idea developed as a coach from the time she's got here and develop the program and grow the program, get it to the National Championship game, and then you know, have that little bit of the lull and get over that hump. How do you where do you think Idea has grown the most as a coach during her time from the National championship games now in terms of her coaching style, where do you think she's developed the most during that time, Because even though you are a great coach or a very good coach, there is still always room to grow, and coaches always grow year in and you're out.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah.
Speaker 7: I think to the two biggest things are the development piece. You know, we see year over year and we see game to game, months a month, how players develop and how the team collectively develops, right, And I think that that that just gets better and better with the DEA. There's something like she just gets that and understands how to do that and keeps growing.
Speaker 14: In that area. And I think the other thing is, you.
Speaker 7: Know, we always look at the National championship year and think that's her best coaching performance. And it was phenomenal, right that when they went.
Speaker 14: To the National Championship game.
Speaker 7: It was that for most people, that came out of nowhere, right, and she was able to get that team ready to play every single game. And if you look at the road to the National Championship game boy, on paper, they should have lost probably most of those games. Those teams were all better than that team at that point on paper, right, even though they had Aera McDonald and Trinity Baptist and Sam Thomas and Kate Ree's right, they probably should have. But I do think that last year was one of her best coaching performances of her career. How you take six to seven players in the last six weeks of the season, turned the season around, beat Stanford, finish off that weekend series, beating Cal. So it wasn't like they had to let down after they beat Stanford.
Speaker 14: They beat Cal, they.
Speaker 7: Went toe to toe with UFC. Nobody played and nobody They may have lost two games, but you know, nobody defended.
Speaker 14: Juju like Helena Poyo. I mean, it was incredible how.
Speaker 7: They played against them, and then to make the tournament. It was a first four. It doesn't matter you made it. I mean six weeks prior, even she would have said we're not going to make it.
Speaker 14: Everybody said they're not going to make it.
Speaker 7: They only had six, they had seven, but Brooklyn really didn't play right because she was the walk on it at that point and she didn't know the plays or anything. But how you take a team that's sort of dead in the water at that point and completely turn them around to knock off of Stanford to win some of those games that they won all of a sudden, they won a couple. They took Washington to three overtimes a month before they went to won that game.
Speaker 14: To me, that was probably right.
Speaker 7: Out there as her probably best coaching performance, and that's probably where she's probably.
Speaker 14: Grown the most.
Speaker 7: Right where like she could take a limited roster, an extremely limited roster where they're playing every minute of the game, every single player basically, and and and have them perform at that level was remarkable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, PJ. Thanks a bunch. Good luck the rest of the way covering this team. We'll see what happens. You appreciate it sounds good.
Speaker 14: Thank you.
Speaker 2: PJ. Brown from The Daily Star. Let's take the break and come back. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Hi, this is formal wild get leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started and keep you going. Visit our shureroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lean to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 11: What's your goal a new career or career? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash someday, Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you.
Speaker 2: Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Markets All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Caampbele or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you flip the Home You Own program. Program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson.
Speaker 11: It's time for the Colon Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Paloma Country Club and the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson can Quissador's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship golf at its finest. Don't forget to join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and coets So live in concert at Riedo Park. The Colon Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting Colo rectal cancer awareness in Tucson Youth Sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo guard Classic dot com.
Speaker 2: This that has brought to you.
Speaker 11: By file Bomb, Crowley Investment Group and OURBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio AB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: That's trying about hero Fox Sports fourteen fifteen of Steve Rivera. You're who are you? Troy? Troy Hutchison yet Kobe not Cody. We're all down to about fifteen minutes of our time here. You can give us a call if you'd like. We get about seventeen minutes. Actually five two four, one, seventy four forty If you want a call, we appreciate it. Guess the last segment of the day. Uh, thanks to PJ for coming on. You know what, Uh? I think realistically the PJ and not PJ idea is is deep down probably saying, God, I need I need more help, need more help on roster and if we just have maybe another good or two or three players that we'd be okay. Well, I'm thinking for don't know what she's thinking, but I'm just thinking that's what she's how do you get the one?
Speaker 4: Though I don't know that that's she That's the thing that's hanted Arizona women's basketball since.
Speaker 2: Since she had the McDonald, since she had the one. How do you.
Speaker 4: Develop not maybe not the best player in one's past in U have a history because Aaron McDonald, in my opinion, is that she's the best player in one's basketball history.
Speaker 2: But how do you get that type of go to player? Again, well, I think there isn't that the question the sixty sixty four thousand dollars, that's cheap, the million dollar questions. When you have the nil, you find that player? You know, juju Ju Smith? Shoot Juju Smith? Yeah? Doose come once in a lifetime? Sorry Watkins Ju Smith? Yeah? The receiver? Yeah? What kids? And then you have you know, of course Katen Clarke and then you have the kid uh from Paige Paige Baker page.
Speaker 4: But you also have that at UCLA with Keiki Rice. Remember Arizona almost got Kiki Rice that we were told right when she was about to sign that she was going to sign with Arizona, so we had everything ready, but then she went to u C.
Speaker 2: L A at the last minute.
Speaker 4: It was supposed to be between Arizona and Duke of UCLA, sitting on the outside, and all of a sudden she went.
Speaker 2: To u C. L A and she is that go to player. Yeah for you. And there's some dynamic players you know in the country today, Watkins, this is fantastic, oh very much so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably the best player they've had since Reggie Miller's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Cheryl Miller. Yeah, Cheryl Maryland. No, very very good, just very smooth as a player. Okay, so no, great, we got that covered the tune a row, so good for them. Now we have Arizona basketball. Well, let me ask you. I'd be remiss without asking you about you eight football.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: If I think you're gonna be on the show with me next week, we'll probably get an assistant coach or two. Uh during that time. What do you think is going on? With a lot of positive.
Speaker 4: Stuff, A lot of positive stuff, a lot of energy with Joe Salvea coming back. I think offensively, there's a lot of positives right now with the new offense coordinator, a new mindset, just a fresh start for them. And defensively with Danny Gonzalez, you know, he's been there, he's done it before. He's been on he's on the coaching staff and was on the coaching staff last year, so you kind of know what you're getting. But he's the guy that's regarded as one of the top defensive minds in college football before he took that New Mexico job, and you know, kind of struggled there, but that, Yeah, it's a tough place to struggle.
Speaker 2: There's a very tough place. Well, you bring up his name and I don't know him. I spoke to him for maybe five six minutes a preseason media day. You know, he just talked about Albuquerque and stuff like that. We'll see how good he is, because now it's his job to make him good. Yeah, aggressive, I know, Shoot, I cussword two three four years ago we had we were covering the sack doctor Don Brown. Yeah, Don Brown, And well, okay, how'd that go? I mean, everybody has the reputations, hell with reputations. Well, yeah, get done, well, Don Don Brown. He came and Arizona had nothing when Jenifer's got here. So you're coming in.
Speaker 4: I didn't expect much and you saw the defense improved from the previous here. Now you have pieces that you know, we're here last year with you, they're healthier. You're getting guys out of the portal. You've recruited some guys. He did a lot with a little at at San Diego State, did a great job at ASU kind of getting his name out there and getting into that next job.
Speaker 2: Can you do that again? Yeah? No, you got to fight some magic and overall the portal what is it rank? And they're still getting kids, you know, rivals. We don't have a portal ranking right now, but it's near the top. I would say it's in the top twenty five. They've done a very good job of filling out the roster. Still some work to be done. I think you could have had maybe at defensive back here, a linebacker here, and they could have time to do that. They do have time.
Speaker 4: I mean the portal is closed, yeah, but you still have guys that are in the portal. You can no longer go into the portal right now, Oka, but you can still get guys out of the portal. And mind you team is like Ohio State and Notre Dame and they just finished their season, so they still have time for guys to go in the portal.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me ask you, I was gonna ask you something, Oh, are the quality of kids that they're getting. We won't know until we know, right, but what do you see players that fit? Maybe potential? What I think the players that fit is number one right in it? Right now, You're you're meaning spots of needs. Talent wise, I'd give it a B minus.
Speaker 4: I think as of late they've added some serious talent that's improved that I think before that I would have put it probably out of C C plus because let's face it, even though they were high level players at the f CS level, like the linebacker that they got from Northeastern State, a defensive lineman from you know whatever, it's the FCS, and Arizona was the top score recruiting them in the Power five, So how are they going to translate to the Power five? Now you've gotten some players that that other programs wanted, like the running back out of Texas State, the receiver out of Washington State. So I think those are the guys that are going to help you. But where their bread is going to be better as how well did they do on the offensive line. Arizona has brought in a lot of linemen through the transfer portal, through the recruiting class, they've lost a lot on the line that they're not able to fix that line. No matter what your offense coordinator draws up, you're not going to be good. You need to mix that line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let me ask you all this because you've been doing recruiting for a while now, maybe five six years, five years, five years, five years, and I hate recruiting because it doesn't mean to get there is Yeah, what does Arizona have to not have to sell? But what does it have to sell these days? Playing time? You have? That's number one? I think right now that's where it is. Again, go ahead, so playing time and well we review it real quick. So playing time? What's two? I god, that's tough, god, because how do you sell development?
Speaker 4: That's okay, let's go with that. Let's go play numbers number two. I'll say family, I'll say culture and family. Everybody talks about that with Arizona right now. But they've always said that.
Speaker 2: They've always said that and not necessarily true, but it will always They told me the family, family, family, blah blah blah, and every program does that, yeah pretty much. Well you never heard that was someone rich, right, They didn't have enough time to talk. They well, yeah, they may not have believed in that. Okay, So those so playing time a family, culture, culture, okay, culture development, development. What about facilities Tucson blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: I would say Tucson's big up there, especially for the Polynesian community, easy to access, you know, California, easy to access. Other areas such as that weather I think is up there obviously.
Speaker 2: To so great weather. It's always just just what two sons always had that I.
Speaker 4: Always have that facilities have improved drastically. But the issue is facilities around the country have improve proved drastically. So I mean it's tough to judge. And the main thing at the end of the day now is in facilities. It's not development. It's an I L and Okay, So they do not have that. They have limited They have limited an I L.
Speaker 2: Sure, and they can prot have limited forever.
Speaker 4: So when you give out these nil checks, when you give out up, you better be hitting on them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, giving you the players that are going to be performed.
Speaker 4: Because there's some guys from the portal last year who got the nil check and guess what they didn't play.
Speaker 2: They didn't play they've transferred out.
Speaker 4: Okay, well where they got them on the field in spring and training camp said you know he's not very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can't. We can't play this guy. Can we have our money back? Sorry that he came from name whatever big school you want. I think there's that's there's that to Troy, where you got one guy from Texas Texas State who has that reputation of being good and he can play at this level. And then you have guys coming in from big time school and and just aren't good. Yeah, just aren't good only because hey, well he's dating that hot chick. He must be a good guy. Shut up.
Speaker 4: I can't remember the guy. I think it was Jordan Allen or something like that. The defensive end that came up with rich Rod from l s U who was an edge rusher.
Speaker 2: There was two guys. There's that quarterback who could throw a mile.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, from LSU Gerard Randall get the Oh my god, we're going to change things.
Speaker 2: You know, these guys are bums for a reason. No offense to them. But when they weren't good, bum is a tough word. Okay, were they good? Jordan especially, Oh, he could throw them mile you're not trying to throw them ole.
Speaker 4: He's just gonna get the guy ten yards, but you have no todd. Sure you can throw them mile, but you have no touch. They're not at those programs for a reason. No, I hear you were last year or with Jed Fish's coaching staff. They hit on Bill Norton. Nobody knew Bill Norton was going to be as good as he was for Arizona. He was a special teams player at Georgia, but you know what it was, he was solid fundamentally, so they look at him, develop him, and all of a sudden he's a key player on Arizona's defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to hit all those guys. Yeah, no, no, no question. That's every every university. So so we'll see. Are you talking about facilities and all that everybody has that nowadays playing teme uh, you still have to coach them. Yeah, so, and I guess what happens in spring gets what happens in the fall. You can have the players or not players and can develop them. But if you can't coach, good luck.
Speaker 4: And you know I'll say this because it got brought up after his hiring press conference when Brendan was hired at Arizona friend and friend told me, you know, he doesn't have that head coach foxy, the fire that you want, and you saw it in in training camp and spring practice. Were like, man, he's he's very hands off, which can be a good or bathroom at times. And then fans started to question the fire during the season. Sure, you got to improve that.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this. Okay, So since that time, you've dealt with him two or three times in press conferences, right, there's been I have n't gone to him because yeah, and has that changed? And I would assume, uh, trying to maybe figure out desire like I can or can't that she's probably put a bug in his ears. You need to be more coach presentable, if that's the right phrase. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think at the end of the season and doing self evaluation and then having press conferences. From that point on, with the coaching changes, there's been a little bit more fire. There's he's owned up to it, and then how can you not own up to a very disappointing season. He has owned up to that and he's like, you know what, we got to change this and this and this.
Speaker 2: Better.
Speaker 4: You better see it in the spring training in a training camp, right or else, you probably will have the same result.
Speaker 2: Well, I also go to the point is you are who you are. Yeah, and you can you can fake it until you make it to a certain point, but you are who you are. I am who I am, and you know I have my faults and have my successes. But I guess what, at the end of the day, I am who I am. Whether I want to be vocal or not vocal. You know what I'm saying, It's hard to change who you are when you are who you are.
Speaker 4: And I hate being overly critical because, let's be honest, he did a Brendan did a tremendous job at San Jose. Say, I don't think people understand. They're like, well, he had a losing record, he didn't do a good joab. San Jose State has worse facilities than high schools. Yeah out there, No, he did TANDU. He did a tremendous job. So he knows how to coach. But how do you do that at the How you do that at that level?
Speaker 2: And the power five.
Speaker 4: Level is very different when the expectations are different because you go five and seven, seven to five every year at that level.
Speaker 2: You're fine. Well, let me say this, and I don't know if this analogy to work with Sean. Sean played that or coached, and Xavier did a fantastic job at Xavier got those kids that he got. They were not five star guys, right, They were hard working three stars who played for him hard. He came here and saw something that he probably shouldn't have seen. It's just that he had to feed the beast and keep Arizona at a four five star level. And Luke didn't even do that. He just coached him up and he got a couple of guys and played them well together. And he tried to do that, and he couldn't do that because they didn't want to stay here for long and he couldn't control them. You know, in that year when he had Ayton and Raley and and Trier, he admitted, maybe wrongly, but he went public with it that he couldn't get them to play for him, and then he walked it back and it happened again that we saw at the end of the year. So there's a point of getting talent, but if you can't control the talent or you coach down, what's the point having the talent once.
Speaker 4: It's what Tommy says is you know, not only does he recruit off of the talent level that that's key at that there, sure, but the fit to the program and the fit to the coach, no question. If you're if you're a coach and you get a square and you try to fit into the circle, it's not gonna work.
Speaker 2: And that was that was Seohn's biggest issue.
Speaker 4: Is he took offensive minded players try to make them defensive minded because he's a defensive Good luck with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially at this level words five stars, they're going to be here. It's rented player. Nowadays it's that's exactly what jam and you piss off the player. I don't need to listen to you.
Speaker 4: Even more so now, Yeah, no question, transfer portal has made that even you know, people talk about the difficulties of the one and done and having to coach around that this transfer portal that it's laughing at that in the mirror.
Speaker 2: It's an even harder job now than it was. Oh, no questions, I don't know. I don't MV. The only way I AMV the coaches that they're making making a ton of money and if you can make it Attenney for three years and get the hell out. You've made a ton of money.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, I am eve them with the buyout. If you do a formal job, Coachinger, give me ten million dollars.
Speaker 2: We've seen that someone someone and you know whose fault is that? That's you?
Speaker 4: Baseball pretty you have a Texas A and I think someone made over seventeen million from A and M right and then like nine million from Arizona. So that's like almost thirty million dollars for being a really bad coach.
Speaker 2: Where can we apply for that? Sign me up? Yeah? No, and now here we are so we'll see.
Speaker 1: This is it.
Speaker 2: This is not it for Brendan, but this is it. He's got to show cause this is a break here. Yeah, two years in he won't and everyone's going to say, well, well, Jed got two years. This is different.
Speaker 4: This starting point is way different Jed. And people will argue with Macavic in terms of where he left the program.
Speaker 2: I think Jed took.
Speaker 4: Over the worst spot in program, no question, no question. I think he had the least amount of talent. You had guys that probably shouldn't have been playing at a level of New Mexico out there on the field at Arizona turning around in three years into very good football program where you have Brennan. You're taking it over a program where you had a lot of guys coming back, and it was like, don't crash the Ferrari and you're fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not. Look, it's still Arizona.
Speaker 4: Their's holes on the roster for sure, but it was still a Ferrari level roster for when he came in compared to when Jed came in and you crashed it.
Speaker 2: Well, the Ferrari had about two hundred thousand miles and but you crashed it. Crashed it right, all right? No, I get, I get. It's a good analogy. Okay, we got about two minutes. Okay, thanks are you're still awaking with her? Yeah, got a polls by doing his homework. Thanks for Kobe for doing this. Uh what else? Thanks for joining me. Tomorrow's Friday. Will you putty show up next week? We'll get some assistant coaches Seliva, maybe Miller or maybe maybe Dany Gonzalez and Gonzales. There was another one. Uh seth go yes? Is that how you say it?
Speaker 4: I'm a I'm trying I'm trying. Okay, maybe we gotta figure that out. We gotta figure that out. It's hey, they made a video. I need to watch that video.
Speaker 2: I saw that video. That's about a month ago or whatever it was. Yeah, they're heading in the right direction. At least they're making attempts because they have to there. I think there's a clear goal offensively.
Speaker 4: Finally, I think last year with the staff, well we're going to mix in what Jed did the year prior, have some player input. Well, what's your offense? This is the midway through the year. I don't know how much that we have about yeah, about a minute, so just quick.
Speaker 2: Uh, there were reports and we know this because we talked with the quarterback leaving right, there's either false or inaccurator or whatever. Even if they were close, I don't know if they were not, because I was guilty of kind of believing it. Why do you stay?
Speaker 4: I think he said, because one, tamax on, so then I will probably improved for him too.
Speaker 2: Instead of him getting it, he got it, I'm sure he got a little bit more. Okay.
Speaker 4: And two, you know, he is a culture guy. There are players on the team that he considers brothers. Of him, and you know Polynesian community, it's hard to leave family, right.
Speaker 2: No, and more power to him because he's he's he started here, he's gonna be good. He's a good player. Now he has some pieces. We'll see what happens. Yep. Okay, great, Thanks Kobe for handling it today. Thank you Try for coming in. We'll talk to you guys tomorrow.