Speaker 1: I actually feel uncomfortable around too many white people. I find out I'm bonding closer with the natives, the Lesker natives.
Speaker 2: Really, so, do you have a pension for Native women who are homeless in crisis? It's been called the memory Card murder. A brutal homicide found on a stolen cell phone, the victim dying on a hotel room floor, the killer mocking her in a distinctive.
Speaker 3: Accent camera pitch.
Speaker 2: There's at one point blood coming from both sides of her mouth while the killer is sexually molesting her.
Speaker 1: He wasn't sexually molestic her. He was poking his fingers on her boob.
Speaker 2: Okay, is that not sexual molestation in your mind?
Speaker 3: It depends on the woman.
Speaker 2: I've always suspected that some people aren't at all who they appear to be. To his wife, Brian Stephen Smith was a loving husband to the Marriotte hotel staff. He was a good colleague to his mistress. He was a spinner of dark sexual fantasies. But to Kathleen Henry, an Alaska Native living on the streets of Anchorage, Brian Stephen Smith was a stranger who offered a warm bed and then did something monstrous.
Speaker 4: Good evening.
Speaker 5: We're learning more tonight about the weeks surrounding the hotel killing of thirty year old Kathleen Henry.
Speaker 6: Thirty nine photos and twelve videos show in graphic detail the final hours of a dark haired woman. Y SD card where the files were stored was labeled at Midtown Marrion.
Speaker 3: She was like, I'll beat up. I mean, her face was not even recognizable.
Speaker 4: Hello, Brian.
Speaker 2: Stephen Smith was found guilty in February twenty twenty four of murder, sexual assault, and misconduct involving a corpse.
Speaker 4: How are we doing that?
Speaker 2: We're good, okay, And now, for the first time, he has agreed to tell me his story and to answer for these crimes.
Speaker 4: Well, Brian, we're.
Speaker 2: Here because we really want to understand the mindset and motivations behind your actions in this case. Okay, tell me why are you here today talking to.
Speaker 3: Us because you asked me to.
Speaker 4: You could have said no, but you agreed. Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well I've I have my side of the story as well that I'd like to get out.
Speaker 1: You want to be heard, Yes, I have to get something out on my side.
Speaker 3: At least.
Speaker 2: Smith's side starts when he met a woman who lived very far away from his native South Africa. You had found love late in life with an older woman, right it, Stephanie?
Speaker 4: Tell me about her.
Speaker 1: So we actually met playing a game on Internet and we became friends and we started talking outside of the game.
Speaker 2: The folk singer from Anchorage fell hard and fast for Smith just as his life hit rock bottom.
Speaker 1: In South Africa. Things actually got to a bit of a bad point. I got into a business dealer that just been so and I lost a lot of money. And it's almost like everything just made sense, you know, just back up and leave.
Speaker 3: You've got nothing to lose you anymore.
Speaker 2: Take me back to the first time you step foot in this rather stunning land.
Speaker 4: What did you feel? What did you think?
Speaker 3: Well, it was amazing.
Speaker 1: It's the first time I've been out of South Africa.
Speaker 4: He's eating your plants.
Speaker 2: With camera in hand. Smith took to the Alaskan wilds and began shooting videos.
Speaker 3: This is the beaver dam.
Speaker 7: I don't know if this go broke and pick it up, but there's a little beaver house over there.
Speaker 3: It's very similar to Africa.
Speaker 1: You've got the civilized and then you've got the whole ethnic rule indigenous side. Of things that are living in an absolute, totally different world to what we live in.
Speaker 4: Are there many South Africans in the Anchorage area.
Speaker 3: I think there's two or three or four.
Speaker 4: There might be more, but maybe a handful. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It also seems like a good place for a secret life, if that's what you're looking for. Nobody knows you. There's lots of space. One could lose themselves in kind of withdrawal from the world here if one wanted to.
Speaker 3: Yes, you could. You're correct.
Speaker 1: You can go get yourself little cabin and you never have to deal with humans again, right right.
Speaker 2: Whether Smith was looking for a second life or a secret one in Alaska, he struggled to fit into Stephanie's world.
Speaker 4: Are you still married?
Speaker 1: I signed the divorce papers about two months ago. Stephanie's a very social person and she's got groups of friends that are in theater and music. I thought, yes, I could do it, but then it was just too much for me. They're all trying to be nice, right, But that did cause a bit of a problem with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well but let let's let's be let's be frank. Right, she was she was an older woman. You were still quite young, and you had a rolling eye and soon an affair right with someone who shared a certain lust for sexual adventure?
Speaker 4: Was that fair?
Speaker 2: Alicia Enter Alicia Youngblood, a young woman Smith met at work. Smith told police they started off as drinking buddies. Then things progressed, this crazy sixth thing.
Speaker 1: It was just something that was happening, and I delved into it. It was interesting for me that I had someone that I could do something and they would respond to it. Actually, that's I think that's what the main thing is. She was responsive to it.
Speaker 4: You say there was a bit of rough stuff, right.
Speaker 2: She liked to be slapped around, a little choked, suffocated, Yes, but.
Speaker 3: It wasn't every time.
Speaker 1: She liked to see and yeah, stories about violence.
Speaker 3: That turned her on. That's what got the engine going.
Speaker 2: And this is all illicit, which probably made it even more exciting, right because you were.
Speaker 3: Married, Well, yes, the secrecy thought of geese.
Speaker 2: Soon It sounds like the two of you were trying to outdo each other and coming up with mock sexual and violent role play scenarios.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Yes, she would tell me about her criminal history. I knew they were not true stories. She was told me that she's been chased across America about the FBI, and she was part of a gang that used to rob banks. That's not real, but but that's where the whole murder things started coming in.
Speaker 4: So and you played along.
Speaker 1: So one day I said to her, well, well I've also killed somebody, you know, so I've also got a story, you know.
Speaker 3: And it turned on massively.
Speaker 4: It worked.
Speaker 3: She loved pretend and making up stories like it.
Speaker 1: If any woman goes to any man and says say this or do this, and I'll get warn that guy's going to do.
Speaker 4: It by day.
Speaker 2: Smith says he and his wife kept up a loving, if passionless marriage. It sounds like you did sort of slip into a kind of a double life. You know, the Brian who's the dutiful husband on the street and narrow, and then on the other hand, a reckless kind of alter ego, right, the one who would drive into the night looking for cheap sex. By night, Smith would troll the streets of Anchorage in his black pickup truck.
Speaker 1: I did go out, but it wasn't for going out for sex. Basically, I was having a very stressful life, and I would drink a glass of whiskey just before bedtime. Then that would be midnight, and if that didn't knock me out sometimes it would give me that you get your second race, now, give a little energy from being I said, oh, now I need to go driving.
Speaker 4: It was probably.
Speaker 8: About nine thirty at night, okay. And he pulls up and I was homeless, lout intent and it was raining that night, and then he goes, well, it's raining.
Speaker 4: Do you want to ride around with me?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 4: And I was like sure.
Speaker 2: Valerie Castler was on the street one night when Smith drove by. He told her he was looking for a certain young working girl and asked her to help. You know the streets. Yeah, and I'm sure you're a pretty good judge of character.
Speaker 4: What was your first impression?
Speaker 3: He was nice.
Speaker 8: We went everywhere. We hung out at like out of the airport and watched the planes and stuff. I was with him til like about five six in the morning, all night long.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When Smith stopped at a gas station to use the ATM, Castler found herself alone in his car.
Speaker 8: That's when I dropped my phone in the car in his truck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were in the past of the front passenger.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And when I reached down, I grabbed cheophones and you hit like that ooh, chill feeling.
Speaker 4: You know, you just got a vibe from it, Yeah, a feeling.
Speaker 8: Yeah, was not right.
Speaker 2: With Smith still inside, Castler pocketed his cell phone, a decision on which the entire case would hinge.
Speaker 8: I went back to my chant and I turned it on, looking to see if I recognize any phone numbers, or if I recognize anybody on the pictures. And that's when I found it.
Speaker 3: In Govich, that's.
Speaker 4: The Sick Mother.
Speaker 2: In the fall of twenty nineteen, in a tent in the woods around Anchorage, Alaska, Valerie Castler took out a phone she had stolen from Brian Stephen Smith's carr and press play in each of Govich, What did you say?
Speaker 4: It first?
Speaker 8: Him talking and on his voice. In her body laying on the on the floor of the hotel.
Speaker 4: She was alive though of them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And he stepped on her throat and he said, you're not leaving here alive.
Speaker 4: I'm killing you, sake.
Speaker 3: Are you still alive?
Speaker 8: I watched all of it and pulled out a wire, put it around her neck, and she was dead and he was still doing things to her for days.
Speaker 4: Castila refused to leave her tent.
Speaker 2: You stayed in the woods because.
Speaker 8: You were paranoid as hell.
Speaker 4: You scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But she worked up the courage to turn the videos over to the police.
Speaker 10: It was the hardest thing I've ever had to watch in my life, not just.
Speaker 4: Being as a police officer.
Speaker 10: This was the worst thing I've ever seen happened to a human being.
Speaker 2: Detective Brendan Lee had a colleague who overheard the videos and the distinctive voice.
Speaker 10: He recalled a case that he had worked that involved a mail with an accent, and he gave me the name Brian Stephen Smith.
Speaker 2: Lee checked the Marriotte guest list from the night of the videos and sure enough.
Speaker 10: To see his name on there. It was kind of like a yeah, like you said, like a big ah moment, like Okay, now I know who we're looking at.
Speaker 2: Then, just days after police got the video.
Speaker 5: Human remains found at mile one away to the Stewart Highway a week ago belonged to a woman who had long, dark hair, with a.
Speaker 2: Prime suspect and a body to match. The race was on to gather evidence.
Speaker 10: The FBI told us ay his phone is hitting off a tower year a mile one away.
Speaker 3: The Steward Highway.
Speaker 10: And also there was a time stamp on one of the images with Kathleen Joe Henry in the back of the pickup truck, and that was also like an AHA moment because his phone's hitting here at this time. This image is at this time, and it's at the location where the remains were found.
Speaker 2: Detectively intercepted Smith at the Anchorage Airport, turning from a trip with his wife.
Speaker 10: Mister Smith, I'm detectively Banglish Police Department.
Speaker 3: I want saying my badge. Yeah, IDs, you know you're ted list to detective partners.
Speaker 10: We have some some matters we wanted to clear up with you and talk to you today. So I appreciate you coming up here with these guys and talking to me. So you have the right to remain silent. Do you understand that you have the right to talk to a lawyer and have him present with you while you're being questioned.
Speaker 4: Do you understand that.
Speaker 2: Smith tells me that afternoon the police caught him off guard.
Speaker 3: I just found all the way from DC. Yeah, you've obviously from Lower Fodage.
Speaker 4: You know what it feels like now.
Speaker 1: I threw four time zones across a ten hour flight when I landed, when they stopped me, I was already in the legal terms of the words I use.
Speaker 3: It is in a weakened state of mind.
Speaker 2: When you're under investigation for serious crimes, you don't get to pick you know, I know.
Speaker 4: Before an interrogation.
Speaker 10: I just wanted to show you pictures TJ would help you kind of refresh that night.
Speaker 2: The detectives start small, without letting on how much they already know about the killer sitting in front of them.
Speaker 4: Can you tell me what's in that photo?
Speaker 3: There's somebody's feet.
Speaker 10: Okay, I'm not gonna issue it. I mean, it looks looks like the shoes you were in right.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, it does. But what's happening when that's.
Speaker 10: What's happening is on this video, on these images the person that's recording it is holding the recorder and is standing basically above this girl and strength her.
Speaker 4: Okay, and so we need to talk about this.
Speaker 10: We need to get ahead of this.
Speaker 7: Mister Smith, I do I don't want to ask stupid, but I don't trum off anything.
Speaker 4: I don't anything.
Speaker 3: Okay, boy, an hour and a half I said I didn't do that. I didn't do that. I didn't do that. Over and over and over, in and nauseam.
Speaker 2: I said that you're not saying that, you're saying you're you're saying that you can't remember.
Speaker 4: I should not remember anything like this.
Speaker 3: Honestly, that looks like a Marriott court. That looks up my truck talked over there.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: Piece by piece detectives disclose photo evidence, Smith's hands, his stomach, Smith's truck, and license plate.
Speaker 10: There's cameras out on the highway at the way station. So there's no doubt about it. There no doubt about it that you were out there.
Speaker 7: Okay, but I don't remember anything else.
Speaker 4: Radio. Sorry. Then about two hours in Smith starts to crack.
Speaker 7: Look this this sounds very serious. No matter what, I'm gonna be in deep. So okay, I'll tell you what I remember. The next day it worked. I saw something dropping out the back of my truck and I was like, what the hell? And I opened up and there was somebody there underneath that.
Speaker 4: There was a blue like a talk with the back of my of my truck, and.
Speaker 7: The back flip doesn't really look I've actually put a pedal up on now since then. And I saw somebody and I was like, what.
Speaker 4: The hell, what must I do? What wants to do?
Speaker 11: And being the one art, I thought, but I've got to get a cant and I drove out and I did within doubt it, So yeah I did. I did, dun but I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was in the back of my truck was not.
Speaker 3: Kathleen Henry.
Speaker 2: You're saying that you didn't keep the body in your truck for two days and then dump around the side of the road as you were counted the police.
Speaker 1: Well, when I said to the police the body, it's because the police had told.
Speaker 3: Me that there was a body in the back of my truck. I did not know what was in the back of my truck. There was something I.
Speaker 4: Told them that you looked under the sheet could tell the body. You told them that.
Speaker 1: It was not a body it was I've seen a YouTube once of a baker that was skinned and it looked in my mind xtra vision through that that's what that could have been.
Speaker 3: Or it was a mannequin or like a sex dollar or something.
Speaker 2: It's somebody who's incapable of telling the truth.
Speaker 4: Brian.
Speaker 1: The problem is when I speak the truth, people don't believe me.
Speaker 10: I think Brian Steve Smith is a person that I'd say he's a sociopath. You know, if you looked at his life, he would just look like.
Speaker 4: You're normal every day.
Speaker 10: You know, I go to work, I come home, this is my wife, We go on vacations and I you know, I play with drones and like to shoot guns for my hobbies. You know, I wouldn't say split personality, but he was definitely somebody that knowingly was trying to, you know, live two different types of lifestyles.
Speaker 2: For police, the double life of Brian Stephen Smith now comes into sharp focus.
Speaker 12: If any other Facebook accounts the cart just Brian Smith.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I've the one called Brandie Phillips.
Speaker 3: He's a real He's like my alter ego.
Speaker 4: He's racist. You know, you can make racist jokes and stuff on this.
Speaker 2: Smith's alter ego offers police a new strategy.
Speaker 12: Do you think Good Brian wanted Bad Brian to get caught? That's why somebody made it so easy for us.
Speaker 2: They urge good Brian to confess to what bad Brian has done.
Speaker 12: Right now, Good Brian, I'm assuming, is who we have here. What do you feel right now about this moment?
Speaker 7: Well, she's a pretty girl and she ended up like that. That's that's such a.
Speaker 4: Waste, so annoying.
Speaker 2: Several hours in, Smith seems to sense the net tightening around him.
Speaker 3: But I'm showing the back of my mind.
Speaker 7: I knew that I was involved in some ways.
Speaker 3: It's stupid to believe that.
Speaker 4: Someone else kills someone and put them in the badge truck.
Speaker 12: You knew in the back of the head, the side of your head, front of your head, you knew you would kill somebody.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can tell you for a straight fact, I did not plan to do this.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've done it.
Speaker 4: That's that's I've done. I've I've done that.
Speaker 3: I'll sign up the paper years I did it.
Speaker 4: I know I did it. Before we do that.
Speaker 2: With Smith's full throated confession in hand, the detectives think they're done.
Speaker 10: You just have to get somebody.
Speaker 2: And then Smith drops the biggest bomb of the case.
Speaker 3: Are you guys in the rush?
Speaker 4: Were gone? Are we in a rush? Yeah? Do you want to talk some more? We're not in a rush.
Speaker 1: We got you got all my I picked up a very drunk girl.
Speaker 7: My wife was gone, she was away for the weekend, not to go home, and I I tried to.
Speaker 3: M Are you guys in a rush to go?
Speaker 4: Are we in a rush? Yeah? Do you want to talk some more? We're not in a rush. We got we got all night.
Speaker 2: Five hours into a police interrogation, Brian Stephen Smith had already confessed to the murder of Kathleen Henry.
Speaker 7: If I'm going to burn on the electric chair for why not as well do for two?
Speaker 2: Then Smith volunteered details of a second murder. And police realize they've caught a serial killer.
Speaker 3: Shucked this girl and then I pointed them to that on that little sadra going towards But when you turn.
Speaker 2: Off the this is how you recounted it to the police. Your wife was away, you were drinking. You hit the streets, as in your words you were known to do. You went to get some liquor and you spotted her. She she wanted abuse.
Speaker 4: I knew that she was drunk. She had a off a bottle of of Ara and r on any and uh she was. She was really drunk. She was saluting it and uh I I picked up her.
Speaker 7: I said, hey, you you want some warm food in a warm place at sleep start.
Speaker 4: You bring her home. You were afraid.
Speaker 2: You tell the police that she was gonna leave her odor in the home and.
Speaker 4: Your wife would would would detect it. So you told her to take a shower.
Speaker 3: She she was smelling.
Speaker 4: I know, I knew she was homeless then, you know she was. She was she was thinking and.
Speaker 7: I was getting up sitting and I sit to her, go to could take a shower, you know, cause now there's smelling the house, you know. And uh, she wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: She she could, said, She kept.
Speaker 2: Saying no, no, she said, I clearly remember this. And again I'm not lying to you. I d I don't remember. I can't visualize the girl. When I went to the garage and I got my pistol and I said to her go to the shower, and she wouldn't.
Speaker 4: She wouldn't. She wouldn't, she wouldn't.
Speaker 7: And uh I just did that.
Speaker 4: While she was on the couch. Yeah, I just shut it.
Speaker 2: The evidence lined up perfectly with Smith's account. A human skull had been found six months earlier at the site Smith named pierced by a bullet. Police would later find an SD card at Smith's home with a video of a woman lying naked on the floor. Forensics identified the victim as Veronica about Chuck another Alaska Native woman who disappeared from the streets of Anchorage.
Speaker 8: Veronica is my best friend and I loved the hell at her.
Speaker 3: I knew her daughters.
Speaker 8: You know, DA wasn't working girls. They were just women. They had drinking problems, you know.
Speaker 2: For Valerie Castler, who uncovered evidence of Smith's hotel room murder, this second case hit even closer to home.
Speaker 8: I remember the last time I talked her, she should.
Speaker 4: Go on to lichrystore.
Speaker 8: She's gonna get a bottle, and she had to go meet up with somebody that must have been him, because that was the last time I ever saw Smith's photo.
Speaker 2: Evidence and confession left virtually no doubt about his guilt. But today Smith is trying to sell me a story that sounds nothing like the one he admitted to police.
Speaker 4: Tell me what.
Speaker 2: Happened that night that you brought Veronica Abuchek to your house.
Speaker 1: The person that I shocked was a fictitious It was a fictitious event. It was not Veronica. If that lady was Veronica, that woman walked out of my house, Alicia and who got in a vehicle and they drove away, well then then then.
Speaker 4: That wasn't Veronica.
Speaker 2: Because the the the person that you murdered in your home, whose whose forensics lines up with Veronica Abuchak, Right, she didn't walk out of your home.
Speaker 3: That was Alisia Youngblood. That wasn't Veronica.
Speaker 2: Smith now recants his detailed confession to the about Chuck murder, and he's trying to persuade me that his confession was all based on fictional role play with his former mistress, Alicia Youngblood.
Speaker 1: The story I told them was a story that Alisha and I had made up about driving around. You meet someone and take them home, that make you angry, and you shoot them.
Speaker 4: I told Alisha, saying that was a made up story. Yes, did you?
Speaker 2: Did you make up the part about defiling her her corpse after you killed her?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 3: That was That was Alisha and Marcel's story.
Speaker 2: You told the police that after murdering her, you sexually defiled her body by sticking your fingers, your hand inside of her. It sounds very much like paraphilia. Do you know that term? Paraphilia characterized by abnormal sexual desires, typically involving extreme or dangerous activities, sometimes intense and persistent interests in inflicting sexual violence or torture on a living person or corpse.
Speaker 3: I don't like hurting people you don't know.
Speaker 2: And you're telling me now that what you told the police is false, that you did not murder Veronic Grabchek.
Speaker 3: No, you must remember that that interrogation was done underd race.
Speaker 2: Well, all interrogations are arguably done under duress, but there was nothing unfair about it.
Speaker 4: And in fact, you could to.
Speaker 2: Stop talking at any point, and instead you volunteer a completely different story about in earlier crime.
Speaker 1: I was in a weakened state of mind. Made seems to me that I need to cover my oh my picks. Alisha might have told them that story, and now I didn't tell them any think I'm lying.
Speaker 2: In fact, Alicia Youngblood had told Lisa's story in secret on a tip line one year earlier.
Speaker 13: The first time that I talked to Miss Youngblood, she was nervous. You could tell that talking to her on the phone.
Speaker 2: She said Smith had showed her a video of a dead woman.
Speaker 9: It's going in her and then he'd draw his hand out and he told him the GoPro and then he bites his hands.
Speaker 4: On her legs.
Speaker 13: She loved this Brian Smith, but now she did not love him.
Speaker 4: Anymore.
Speaker 13: After seeing this video, she was very adamant that she thought this video was real.
Speaker 9: The pictures are her breast and she's grabbing them so hard that the blood is pulling.
Speaker 2: Young Blood tried to go Smith into sharing evidence so police could arrest him.
Speaker 9: I don't know what I'm hearing to get picture information. I'm doing all kinds of crazy sexual acts.
Speaker 14: And having the routine to write it.
Speaker 1: She took these this fantasy stories, these make belief stories abouts, and she took it. Then she started bringing in real people's names, and I said to a no.
Speaker 2: Smith was cautious not to give young Blood any proof, and police soon dropped the case.
Speaker 9: I can't do this anymore. He's more wild.
Speaker 2: Alicia Youngblood left Alaska. She never got the chance to testify against Smith.
Speaker 13: We were informed that she had passed away in Oklahoma. It was most likely she took her own life.
Speaker 4: The next phase of the case is the opening story, as.
Speaker 2: It wasn't until three years later, in February twenty twenty four, Smith would take center stage in a horror show of his own design.
Speaker 14: After this trial, you will all carry the burden of knowing.
Speaker 3: The burden of knowing that Brian Smith.
Speaker 14: Lived, worked, walked among us, mingling and targeting the most vulnerable among us.
Speaker 4: Smith's hour in the limelight was just beginning. Let's bring the jury in. This is can McCall your first witness.
Speaker 3: My name is Christy Grimaldi. How are you related to this case?
Speaker 9: Why are you here today?
Speaker 3: Veronica about check as my mother. I'm her oldest daughter.
Speaker 2: In February twenty twenty four, the trial for the murders of Veronica, about Chuck and Kathleen Henry began.
Speaker 15: In October twenty nineteen, I was contacted by family.
Speaker 3: To meet with a detective, and.
Speaker 15: Looking back at that I was in complete denial or holding on to any hope. I remember thinking, Wow, they found her. You know, maybe she's somewhere, and it's just in awe that.
Speaker 3: I believe that.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Smith appeared calm as witness after witness laid out evidence against him. But the smoking gun was the evidence Smith produced himself.
Speaker 14: Those videos depict a woman that we now know to be Kathleen Henry being strangled, tortured, and killed. When we show those videos, they're going to be broadcast on nat TV facing this way so that members of the general Republic don't see them.
Speaker 4: Police say you're the man in the video? What do you say?
Speaker 3: No, it's not me.
Speaker 2: I needed a way to push past Smith's denial. If you wouldn't admit to the crimes, could I get him to describe the killer? Let me describe to you what the man in the video the killer did, and ask you to profile him for me.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't want to watch him ever at all, but they forced me to hit the trial.
Speaker 10: My name is Brendan Lee, last name l E. So in this video, it's going to start out and you're going to see Catherine Henry on the floor.
Speaker 2: There's a at one point blood coming from both sides of her mouth while the killer is sexual molesting her.
Speaker 4: What did you think when you saw that?
Speaker 1: He wasn't sexually molestic her. He was poking his fingers on her boob?
Speaker 4: Okay? Is that not sexual molestation in your mind?
Speaker 3: It depends on the woman, It depends on the situation.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously the situation was non consensual. She's laying there dying, he's telling her he's killing her. He stands on top of her stomach. At one point he laughs maniacally.
Speaker 4: What did you make of that?
Speaker 2: I don't remember him laughing, even as he downplays the cruelty captured on video. Smith offers clues about the man behind the camera. Did it seem to you that the killer was enjoying himself?
Speaker 1: No, the guy sounded frustrated. The guy said that, like like she must hurry up. You know, she must, she must hurry up.
Speaker 4: People need to corporate, people need to know when that means serial.
Speaker 3: The person sounded like he had lost control.
Speaker 2: He had lost control, interesting so that it was unplanned maybe spontaneous.
Speaker 1: No, from the wording the guy used, it sounds like he was documenting something.
Speaker 3: So it was planned. As you can notice the tongue it's not swollen.
Speaker 4: That Why was he documented?
Speaker 12: Why?
Speaker 4: Why would somebody do that?
Speaker 3: Well, they're obviously making money out of it.
Speaker 2: As far as I yeah, could have been doing that for to watch it back and get thrills from it, I don't know.
Speaker 3: He probably could have. If you find him, you can ask him that.
Speaker 4: The killer is giggling and laughing. Do you remember that.
Speaker 3: Probably the ugliest part was where he had he's foot on her throat.
Speaker 4: What kind of man could do that?
Speaker 3: A nasty person.
Speaker 2: She's making horrific sounds with her dying breaths. Do you remember those sounds?
Speaker 1: Well that that was the first noises that came out when the first video played that showed that were the girl trying.
Speaker 4: To breathe and that I do not like that. Can you describe them for me and how they made you feel?
Speaker 3: I didn't like hearing it. It's it's I don't like to hear that stuff. Oh, yes, that's right, Yes, a string of God.
Speaker 2: He's strangling her with a green string, straddling over her, right, remember that, berating her, fondling her. I'm trying to make a movie, you stupid blood sucking.
Speaker 1: And it sounds like he's doing that for an audience. He's like he's making a movie. He's definitely making a movie. I'm trying to make a movie, a stupid old bitch.
Speaker 2: Weeks after I met Smith, I finally got access to the murder video itself. I can now see what Smith meant by the killer making a movie out there.
Speaker 4: Hate the light button, please.
Speaker 3: Just take it, swallowing it. Just do a nimble shot while at angle, like the action shot.
Speaker 2: In Smith's twisted mind. He's a film director and this atrocity is his blockbuster movie.
Speaker 4: You look, you die.
Speaker 2: You die.
Speaker 3: Sadly.
Speaker 4: In my movies, everyone dies. I get the Oscar bitch.
Speaker 2: In the end, Smith's movie did meet its audience, spring the jury and twelve men and women, and they quickly delivered a verdict.
Speaker 4: Mister Smith, would you please rise? I will read The forms of the verdicts.
Speaker 13: Were the jury of Brand Independent Brand Stephen Smith guilty of murder in the first degree, is charged.
Speaker 2: To count one guilty for the murder and sexual assault of Kathleen Henry and Veronica about Chuck. His sentence two hundred and twenty six years in prison. All right, I can tell you, as a professional journalist, the evidence against you is insurmountable. You're not getting over it. Isn't there a part of you just still a young man? Isn't there a part of you that just wants to unload, unburden this whole thing and and talk truthfully about what actually happened.
Speaker 12: You're glad you're not going to be able to hurt anybody else.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I was also I was hoping that it would have just been that one. I was hoping that that anger and my sister would have been out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't like to know that I've done that to someone.
Speaker 4: I don't like that.
Speaker 2: It's been ten years since Brian Stephen Smith first left South Africa for a new adventure on the Alaskan frontier. At one point, you told the police that Alaska is the perfect place to murder someone.
Speaker 1: Yes, people come yet because they are anti social and if you look at the distances between places, yeah, you could just go dump a body just five minutes out of town.
Speaker 2: Murder is the third leading cause of death among Native American women. Smith killed two of these vulnerable women, at least two that we know of.
Speaker 4: Did you engage in.
Speaker 2: Any sexual violence with Native South African women?
Speaker 9: No, they tell me. One of the comforts as young at sixteen, where.
Speaker 4: I think with the youngest.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm another we.
Speaker 9: Don't know, not know really.
Speaker 2: The South African police say they're looking into you. Now, any idea what that might be about?
Speaker 1: Okay again, Right at the beginning, Alisha and myself were telling stories, and the first stories I told her were about South Africa.
Speaker 4: More stories. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I can find any poetic justice in this tragic story, it's this. Smith landed behind bars thanks to a woman who lived on the streets with his victims. What do you think would have happened without that video had you not found it and brought.
Speaker 8: It, did he probably still be investigating in Hayes Tail, probably would be a free man hunting and killing women, and there probably be more bodies than what.
Speaker 4: There was when you heard the verdict?
Speaker 8: What did you think that was on my birthday?
Speaker 4: What a birthday present?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Castla remained on the front lines from the moment she turned over the smoking gun SD card.
Speaker 14: Those images that you saw, timing and all.
Speaker 15: Of that aside, have those stayed with you in my head?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I just wanted them to go home.
Speaker 4: And what do you mean by that when you say you wanted them to go home?
Speaker 8: I wanted their parents, their family to be able to mourn and you know, properly instead of bearing an empty box.
Speaker 2: Smith tells me he now plans to file an appeal, and I end the interview with one of my own. You're going to live with this story, this defense that you've concocted in your in your mind that no one believes, Brian. You must know that no one believes the alibi, no one believes that you're not the man in the video. I mean again, there's a mountain of forensic evidence against you.
Speaker 4: You're going to just live with us.
Speaker 1: There is no DNA evidence, there's no evidence proving that anyone who's in my truck.
Speaker 3: The only evidence in my truck is the evidence of my other bi So.
Speaker 2: I have five pages of quotes from your own lips, Brian, full of admissions and confessions and acknowledgments and appreciation for the police, and and and self awareness that you've gone too far and now you're in deep.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is non confrontational de escalation.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody would consider that de escalation. That's that sounds like a guilty man who's coming clean. In the end, Brian Smith's double life culminated in a single fate, a life sentence in an Alaskan prison.
Speaker 7: I want to talk to now was that I've got no one to talk to now. None of my friends will ever Well, this is my fault. I've done my own gravy. I did this to myself. I can't blame anybody else, you know,