Speaker 1: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: We had a little bit of technical difficulties, but here we are.
Speaker 1: We made it and all's well that ends well.
Speaker 2: I'm currently in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and this is the home of the Betty and Barney Hill Fame where they lived. The historical societies running and exhibit has been all summer long of the Betty and Barney Hill case right in downtown Portsmouth. So tonight we are joined by former senior NASA official and space policy expert Mike Gold, along with my special co host astronomer markt' antonio. We'll be talking about how NASA has handled unidentified anomalous phenomena and the powerful stigma that has kept the subject from being seriously investigated by the scientific community for decades. I've talked about this many times in past shows, and before twenty seventeen, it was hard to get any scientists to basically talk about the subject for.
Speaker 1: So many reasons, but mostly the stigma.
Speaker 2: Mike served on NASA's UAP Independent Study Team, but as he'll explain, the panel was never actually tasked with examining NASA's historic UAP evidence. Please visit our website podcast UFO to support the show. For only two dollars or more a month, you can enjoy an ad free audio podcast listening experience, and while you're there, be sure to explore hundreds of fascinating historical UFO blogs written by Charles Lear covering remarkable cases a lot of forgotten historic ones as well. Our blog this week by Charles is a policeman hit by one of those UFOs and that was a nineteen seventy five case in Wisconsin. And I've read a few of these blogs on this YouTube channel here people seem to like them. So next Tuesday, I have Luigi Venatelli and we're going to have a SOFF debate. I'm chuckling at that on Bob Bzar. A lot of my longtime listeners know how I feel about that, so don't forget. At nine pm right here on this channel, we'll be in our second live show for the evening, and that is with former NASA engineer Greg Martins.
Speaker 1: So let's get started and bring you both in. Hi, Mike, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. And I've been in the space world my entire life. The hardest part of it is getting these streaming virtual meetings towards glad.
Speaker 1: We did.
Speaker 2: We made it happen, and I'm so glad to get that we figured things out, and it seems to happen a lot when it's live and it's pre recorded, always goes fine. But thank you so much for being here, and Mark and I will be asking questions tonight. But the first thing that I really wanted to ask you is you served on NASA's UAP Independent Study Team and what did you personally hope the team would investigate when you first joined it.
Speaker 3: So I think what I hope first of all with the UAP Independent Study Team was that just this existence would push back against the stigma. As you mentioned, there's really no arena, I think where the UAP stigma is stronger than in academia and NASA the meatball the agency. It carries so much credibility with it, and just the fact that there even was a nasty UAP Independence thirteen I think was so important. I give the agency and then Senator Nelson, who was the NASA administrator at the time, a great deal of credit for moving forward because I can assure you that due to the stigma, there were many I'm sure in the agency and outside advising Senator Nelson not to do this, not to get involved. So I hope that NASA justify getting into the topic, that it would help legitimize and ensure that we took the issue and data seriously. And I think there are some misperceptions relative to what the group was going to do and what it remit was and specifically we were never asked to look at data or review data. Instead, there was essentially two purposes, one for the UAP and Penn study teams men whether or not it was worthwhile for NASA to study UAP, and if so, what capabilities systems does NASA have that could be applied to the topic. So it wasn't so much about reviewing data, It was about should the topic be investigated by NASA and how should they investigate the topic.
Speaker 2: Now, one thing I was a little surprised of at first is that was I think I heard a number kicked out about one hundred thousand dollars start with this. To me, that just sounded so little money compared to all the money spent on so many other things. I was glad that was happening, but it just seemed like with such a slow amount of money, you couldn't do a whole lot, So what's your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I don't think there was ever any funding levels dedicated to UAP within the agency. There may have been some minor funds provided for the UAP Independent Study team, but that only would have been to cover travel, and I think we got some sort of nominal per diem as members of the team. Again, the idea was for the independent study team to recommend what should be done and as part of that what the costs may be. Unfortunately, coming out of it, there never was really any funding dedicated to UAP study without any people or offices or budget, there wasn't much coming out of that. There was a research director for UAP that was appointed after or the independent study team, but I believe even that individual was reassigned after time. I can say what the UAP and Penn study team did that I thought was very helpful was again a its existence, pushed back against the stigma, and b it was a positive recommendation from the team that NASA should look into the topic, and in particular that the agency should leverage artificial intelligence and machine learning to review the NASA archives to be able to find out what we can. As we've seen from some of the Department of War releases. There's some fascinating imagery coming out of the agency, and if we did a more comprehensive church, I think we could find quite a bit, or at very least it would be worth the effort. The second recommendation that was made by the UAP Independent Study Team was to add UAP to the ASRS system, the Aviation Safety Reporting System, and this is a system that NASA's and operating for decades to collect information confidentially on safety anomallies and then report those to the FAA. It's a great arms length way for pilots to report the safety anomilies, which of course can be challenging if you didn't have this degree of confidentiality, and hundreds of thousands of cases have been reported by this system. If we were to include UAP in ASRS, every pilot, crew members, even passengers could become sensors could become part of reporting UAP, leading to a treasure trove of additional data that could be gathered at very little additional costs. So going through the NASA archives with AI and mL I think would be invaluable and adding UAP to the ASRS system would allow us to get a lot more data with very little cost to the American taxpayer.
Speaker 2: I want to say I was there during this testimony. You're the one that actually started. I believe you were first in line, and you can see a little arrow.
Speaker 1: There's me standing behind you, well with my phone trying.
Speaker 3: To you without the arrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So but anyway, that was my second set, the one with David Rush was there and that was that felt really historical that day. That was really such an incredible experience, I thought.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I was glad that you were there.
Speaker 2: I remember listening to but when I saw that you were part of this, I thought it was really a great thing that there was some representation.
Speaker 1: Mark. Do you have anything you want to lead off with any questions or anything.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna mention, by the way, I Mike, nice to finally meet you. I was thinking about all of this and my mind is going one thousand miles an hour, unfortunately, so I have to pair it back. Because Mike got this wealth of information that we can all benefit from. I was trying to I don't want to jump ahead on anymoreton, but I was trying to figure out there's a few things. Okay. First of all, I've been involved in projects that I've worked for the Navy for decades and privately with my business, and I worked on projects that could be mistaken for UFOs, for instance UAP, and they were I received as MUFON's mutual Uphone Networks chief photo video analysts to run photo analysis teams, two photo analysis teams, one overseas one here. And I got photos of this thing flying around in the skies that they said, look, it's a UFO. I knew it wasn't because I was working on it. So now I'm like, oh, no, I know what this is like because I'm building these engineering models for the Navy guys, but I'm also this photo video guy. Which side the way I pick? I picked the photo video guy, and I decided to press the program office for an explanation, and they said, if they think it's the UFO, that's great, and I was like, no, it's not. You're going to muddy the waters. And unfortunately, as we've said and seen, a lot of the trans materials that were released were not EUAP. They were ordinary objects captured in an extraordinary way. But they were also captured and that's what made them classified. They were captured with technology they didn't want you to know about, and that's why they were classified. They ended up in that bucket because of the technology used to capture the images, not the image of the object itself. When I pressed the Home Office on this down in DC, I managed to get an email out of them and said, yeah, this is one of our special projects, and that's as far as they would go. But they liked the idea of it being mistaken for UFO. And then I said, you know what's going to happen, and people are going to come out of woodwork now I want to take pictures of this thing and someone's going to get pictures of it doing something you probably don't want them to see. If you give me an explanation that something can distribute, they'll probably all go home. And they did. They all went home. They were they said, oh, it's one of ours, is never mind? Okay. So muddying the waters is one of my big problems with the whole UAP process. People will send in things that they and a lot of military stuff comes in that is ordinary, but they try to make more on of it. So I want to know where you fall on that that's a sort of a convoluted question, isn't it there, Mike, I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm a recovering attorney. I'm used to I.
Speaker 4: Love that, attorney.
Speaker 1: I've heard you say that with Ross. Yeah, that was great.
Speaker 4: Yea, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Let me talk a little bit about national security, because that's an important point phrase and I think is critical aspect of the entire UAP phenomena. And forgive me if I repeat some of what I said after testimony or previously, but I think it bears revisiting. So if you look at what's happening in Ukraine right now and the war against Russia, Ukraine had thousands of drones that were hidden in sea containers, in trucks, in homes, in huts, and they then released those drones to cause literally billions of dollars of damage to the Russian Air Force and other Russian military facilities. And while I don't know for certain, I would be shocked if China didn't have similar drones hidden away near national security, critical infrastructure facilities here in the United States. And I suspect that many of the UAP sightings that we have are potentially adversary craft that are scoping out military facilities, military installations, critical infrastructure to support just such an attack when and if we get in a shooting war with China. And that's why, in part I'm so concerned with the stigma. That stigma not only prevents us from scientific study of maybe the more extraordinary aspects of UAP, but it also provides a cover in many ways for what you're saying, for adversarial aircraft and drones that are monitoring our facilities preparing for a drone strike. So I think it's very important that we take UAP seriously, not only for the potential that something extraordinary could be occurring, but so we don't provide a loophole or a cover for many and much of which I believe are likely adversarial drone technology on our chores. So that's one important aspect of this, and I would hate to see our adversaries exploiting the stigma of UAP to be able to get close to and eventually attack facilities.
Speaker 4: To best the claim, I agree. Okay, I add one more thing. Here in Connecticut where I live, the state legislature was setting aside money's under a million dollars to study UAP, and I was tapped to be on that team. Unfortunately, the state decided that money can be better spent elsewhere. So the point is they're not taking it seriously. I don't know what that was about. I don't know why they didn't pursue it. If they eventually get the money, I'll probably be on the team. But the fact of the matter is, just like with you, you never got to actually study any UAP right or analyze any UAP. I don't know what we would get.
Speaker 3: Never say never, that's true. Actually, I'm just goingting to hear that news about Connecticut. I provided some written testimony in my role as an advisor to Disclosure Found, supporting that work and hoping that they would move forward. And while the EUAP Independent side Team and n ACID did not necessarily get chance to review information again, still some very worthwhile outcomes of the independent study team relative to recommendations and pushing back against the stigma, generally under the auspices of the Disclosure Foundation, myself and another member of the team, doctor Reggie Brothers, who was on the UAP in Events study team with me, as well as not only Derek Shawnee who you may be familiar with his work and Beatrice Burial. And let me apologize profusely to my friends if I'm mispronouncing anyone's names, as I sure I am, and you can call me Nick Gould or something in return. But we've got a terrific team put together that is going to attempt, with our limited resources to implement the recommendations of the UAP Independent Study Team and conduct a review of various aspects of NASA archives using AI, using mL and following up on much of the incredible work that Beatrice and Money have been doing, as well as other aspects of the phenomena. And I know that everyone's looking for a smoking gun, and we'd all like to see some extraordinary proof. But I really do appreciate the release of information from NASA from the Department of War highlighting some of the more interesting imagery that NASA and other agencies of the federal government have captured. There's a terrific image of what looks like a triangle triangular craft, or at least lights in a triangular formation, taken from the surface of the Moon during Apollo seventeen. And as I mentioned, scientists, I'm a recovering attorney, I'm not qualified to say what it is or isn't, but I know that's something worth asking questions about. It's an image worth delving into. And I've been talking about that image as an example of why going through the NASA archives is worthwhile for over a year and felt very validated when that image was highlighted by the Department of War. And I think the releases from the Department of War really help internally at agencies validate the topic, legitimize the topic, and make it easier for those who want to do reviews and put information forward because they see they have the support and backing of the White House. So I really appreciate what Jared Isaacman and Pete Hegseth and are brave and courageous members of Congress, and the UAP Caucus of Congressman Burlison Burshett Luna are doing to get information released. I know we all want more, but I think it's phenomenal the progress that we have made. And while I can't do much relative to information that's classified, that process is currently ongoing within the Department of War in the White House try and get out as much as they can. What I can do in my personal capacity through Disclosure Foundation, with my colleagues is go through what's publicly available, and as you've seen from what's been released by the Department of War and the work that Monoly has done, and some of your listeners and viewers aren't familiar, he's produced some really interesting imagery from the surface of the Moon, from the surface of Mars, from Phobos of i'd say anomalous surface artifacts. And again not qualified to say someone that's extraordinary or not, or if there's prosaic explanations, but definitely some interesting imagery that bears further studies. So our group is hoping to apply AI and mL review those archives, and I guarantee they will be a treasure trove of information. And even if we don't discover anything extraordinary, what's the worst that happens that we discover some fascinating new natural phenomena relative to the Moon of Mar. Anomalies is how we make progress. Anomalies is how we learn. It's the inexplicable, it's the strange that creates progress, and that's why I think it's such a worthy endeavor to investigate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very good points there.
Speaker 2: I will be asking Christopher as in chat has a question. Thank you all for being here in chat prior to that, I just want to ask this question because I've heard, I've watched things and heard things many things over the years about how imagery has been either altered. This is a NASSA for many years, it was a woman that said she worked there and walked in and saw people working on these images to get these anomalies off of them before they were really And I want to know what your answer is to those questions I've heard all for years and years.
Speaker 3: Sure, it's the interest the full disclosure. My grandfather worked on the Apollo program. My brother is still a STEM contractor for NASA helping support education. So I have NASA in my Genes show.
Speaker 4: And we can say we went to the moon, because I hate when people say we never went to the moon.
Speaker 3: That is such an insult is all of the great Americans, and then globally everyone who supported the Artemis program. To not believe that is to not believe in our nation, to not believe in its people. And I find that insulting to myself and the generations of people who risked it, in some cases lost their lives.
Speaker 4: That's right, accomplish there's some white and chaffee and it's just.
Speaker 3: Absolutely at Redwires. Matter of fact, we just opened up a new microgravity facility in Georgetown, Indiana, and we were honored to have Steve Grissom join us to Gus GRISSM and it was wonderful to carry forward that legacy of Chris Kersson, who paid the ultimate price to get us to the move. Why find those conspiracy theories so vaulting in relative to NASA in these accusations of airbrut Obviously I would be very disappointed if that's the case. We've also heard rumors of shutting off live feeds, whether that's from the Subtle or the International to cover things up. And again, I want to practice what I preach. That part of my criticism of academic early some academics in some cases UAP is they begin from a conclusion and then work backwards. I think it's so important to remain objective and begin from a place of modesty that we don't know the answer to a question, investigate, and then follow the data wherever it may lead. So when it comes to these accusations, of course, I hope that no one would ever do that at NASA, And during my tenure at NASA, I never saw anything that would indicate that or anyone who would do something like that. But then again, I don't know what was happening in the nineteen sixties. I don't know what was happening in the seventies, and even when I'm there, I'm not omniscient relative to what's happening. So part of our effort will be to look at accusations like that. And for example, in Money's work, there are some examples where we'll see an artifact in one version of the data, but then not in another. Now that can be differences in cameras, differences in recording, maybe not, and then looking at the imagery. If anyone's got examples where they think something's been airbrushed or to have been changes, let me just say that we're very open to looking at the information and if this is true, show us, show us the evidence. We're happy to take a look and try to get to the bottom of some of what I hope are misperceptions relative to what may have occurred in the past. But NASA's very mission is to go out and discover new life, to seek exactly so I'd be very disappointed if any of that was occurring. But again we want to take a look at the evidence and follow it wherever it may lead.
Speaker 4: That makes sense to me. I want to add to that if I could year for what I do. I've looked at hundreds and hundreds of Mars images one hundreds and hundreds of Moon images, and as a chief photo analyst, I've seen a lot of things and artifacts on the Moon on Mars that people make these claims about, and I look at them from I'm gonna let the science speak first, and if the science can decipher it. I put that out there of very thick skin. And there's a lot of people that get mad at me when I won't admit there was a big nuclear war on Mars. Okay, okay, yeah, and but I think it's.
Speaker 3: Important to have in your nuclear denial exactly.
Speaker 4: That's right. There's a one particular guy out there that I just love arguing with him about it. You do it, might me know them too, but it's okay. The bottom line is I understand how things work on other planets. I understand geology on other planets. That's been my Bailey Wickers and astronomer. I lived in the Earth science and the Moon science and the Marts science for a long time, decades. So I really think it's important to allow the science to speak and allow the people that know the science to at least register their opinions before you start to dismiss them. And people dismiss us all the time. But you know when I say, getting getting a degree on Google doesn't help you in this, and that's what happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I'm very suspicious of anyone who begins from a place that is absolutely nothing extraordinary, or from someone who says this absolutely cannot be.
Speaker 1: Something that's not science. That's for sure.
Speaker 3: That is not the scientific method. It is the antithesis it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, begin from a.
Speaker 3: Place of objectivity of O and then show me the data to support the conclusion. And this is where I get so frustrated, candidly with both ends of the spectrum on this topic in some cases and relative to what we're seeing on the planets in the work money is done. Again, I'm not qualified to say that this is extraordinary. It isn't. But again, what I can say is that these images are worth investigating. It's worth asking follow up questions, it's worth looking into because the answer isn't completely obvious. And on Mars certainly there's potential for past water, etc. Which could explain some of what we're seeing. Of course, no water on the Moon per se, so some of those anomalies are more interesting. But let's have a degree of modesty and say we don't know and look at these things, and again, what's the worst case phenomena that we discovered. There was some really interesting natural phenomena occurring millions and millions of years ago on Mars, or there's something we don't understand that shape formations on the Moon, or something extraordinary is occurring. I don't know. What I do know is it's worthwhile to ask the question. And what I'm also very certain about is no one should be punished for asking questions that also anti science and speaking of money, he lost his job, not for saying that there were alien artifacts on the Moon or that what he was imaging or showing the images of were absolutely extraterrestrial or artificial, simply for asking the question. He lost his job, and I find that to be pernicious, and again the exact opposite of what science should be agree.
Speaker 4: Look what happened to Avi Lobe, for instance, when all he said was we can't deny the possibility. He didn't say this is extra trustrial. He said, we can't deny the possibility. Okay, I've worked with him a couple of times on television shows. But the thing is he's never actually stated it is extraterrestrial, this is alien. He said, we can't ignore the possibility. He's only saying, let's ask the questions.
Speaker 3: Yes, such respect for AUV or anyone who takes a truly objective and scientific stance. What I get frustrated by is some of the academic community you declare bunk science on UAP or that this is nonsense. It is actually them who are abusing the scientific method by beginning with a conclusion and then working backwards. And that's why I have such respect for trailblazers like a V and Beatrice and Money who are willing to stick to their guns and ask the question. And they're not saying necessarily one way or the other. They're simply pointing to data and saying, give me an explanation, give me analysis. And by the way, on the NASCY UAP Independent Study Team, we saw this consistently and constantly, where most of the members of the team were from academia, and unfortunately there were threats for their careers, to their ability to publish, to their ability to get tenure. Again, not for saying that they found NHI or exterrestrials are real, but simply for having the temerity to participate in the UAP independent study team. How can we do good science when simply asking the question is caused for criticism or firing or worse.
Speaker 2: Exactly, exactly, So a couple things. First of all, I'm going to pull up a question here in chat, but we were talking earlier about being on the moon and people denying it. I actually had a conversation with Alan, being the fourth man on the moon, and I asked him that question. I said, how do you feel about people that say you never landed on the moon? And he says he was so funny. He goes, it doesn't bother me. They're not hurting anybody. That's how he was talking. But he says, you can't convince them either way, and which is true. People have their mind made up. And by the way, tomorrow there's supposed to be another release of files on war gov dot us slash UFO, supposed to be another file dumps. They say, Now, I don't know how true. That is, I just keep hearing it, but anyway, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: A question.
Speaker 3: What I can tell you on that point, and what makes me so excited is the Trump administration and the government Department of War. This is an ongoing effort to release information. This is not a one off, and we've seen that with several transhes, and having served in government, well, I know no one wants to hear this, and it is disappointing, but I don't think anyone be shocked that governments are bureaucracies. It takes time time to move a bureaucracy, particularly on topics as difficult as this, and I applaud the administration and as the Department of War for what they've released. And I think part of the reason that what we've seen so far has been not perhaps what people have wanted to see, although I hesitate to describe its mundane, there have been some pretty extraordinary things that we've seen, whether it's testimony or videos the ORBS I found particularly interesting. These have been some fascinating material that's been released. But what I expect is the best is yet to come. Because the government agencies were likely releasing whatever the low hanging fruit was what they could get to for because the administrate released whatever you can as quickly as you can.
Speaker 4: That's the key, as quickly as you can without paying so much.
Speaker 3: Attention exactly, and that's why they'll probably release what is unclassified easy to get out. Some things have been released previously to highlight it, but which again is helpful in terms of moving to bureaucracy, showing that the White House cares and empowering the champions for disclosure and transparency. But there's also a process occurring within government to declassify and give that a little bit of time to work through the system. I think what we'll see in the next trench, and the trench after that, and after that that the imagery and data will get increasingly interesting as the government has time to begin to classify and get to some of the more interesting data. At least, such is my hope. And again I give everyone down for the President. Pete Hegset Stephen Miller has been a strong advocate for this. I appreciate how everyone has been working hard to try to get to the truth, and I would compare it to what past administrations have done, but I can't because there's never been anything like this in history, and I get a little upset when I see a lot of the comments online that's critical or or show us the smoking gun and show us this, show us that, And again, like everyone else, I would love to see that, But I think we need to acknowledge the difficulty of doing this, and that we need to show support, appreciation, and encouragement for those who are working in government to continue and to show more, to get more. That's why I hope we can all be supportive and applaud the efforts that have been done to date, and certainly we should ask for more and encourage more. But at the same time, I think we need to show support to the champions who are trying to support transparency, who are trying to support disclosure in the truth.
Speaker 2: I was at the Disclosure forum a few weeks ago, a month ago, I guess it was, and I was the one that asked Earlson, where's the good stuff? That was only a couple of us got to ask question. So here's a question from Christopher Alexander, a longtime listener. Did the UAP study group study or address the policy of muddying the waters? Also related the release of the evidence that is silly and already understood.
Speaker 1: How can we stop that part of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Again, I think we should all try to be supportive and encourage champions like Congressman Burlson, like Congressman in er Chet, like the administration that has been trying to release information relative to this issue, and in regard to muddying the waters. I actually don't think that it's a bad thing that within the releases of information that there is some data imagery of prosaic activities, because then we've got something to compare it to that. I think it's great to see a little bit of oh, this was a bird, this was a balloon, or this was something an aircraft, et cetera, just because this is going to have a little bit of that mixed in so that we can compare and contrast somewhat for something that's a little more extraordinary. So I actually don't mind seeing a bit of what that looks like to create a baseline to compare and contrast to other imagery and video that may indeed have some thing as in an extraordinary So I think it's actually good in some ways to get some baseline materials. We have something to compare other images and videos too, just to.
Speaker 2: Let everyone know we're only on for another eleven minutes because we're going to have to jump over to our next show.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Mark.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, I find it interesting because in the prosaic objects that we determined were prosaic, in some of the trenches, I was doing things which kind of relate to what you just said. I knew they were balloons. We could see a payload hanging from and so forth. But I wasn't studying the balloon. I knew it was a bloom. I was looking at the emissivity. I was looking at what it was getting off. And that's data, yes, that we can use because if it looks different on something else, we know it's different.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 4: I've been doing that for years. This stuff is so important to do. And see you set it right there, and I love it. This guy's good.
Speaker 3: I like him. But exactly it's not a bad thing necessarily, like to have the balloon video and then you see, for example, the heat signature, and then you can compare something else.
Speaker 4: And will exactly and say, this IR signature is not that IR signature. It's something different. And by the way, Martin, I have one of Allen Bean's paintings signed here in.
Speaker 1: My house one of his paintings.
Speaker 4: One of his paintings.
Speaker 1: You're sure it's not a print because he got big money for those paintings.
Speaker 4: Oh, it might be a print. Actually it's it's a print.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I love he was such an artist, such.
Speaker 4: A he's a great guy. Oh yeah, he asked me to go to dinner with him.
Speaker 3: Wi.
Speaker 1: I thought was pretty cool about that. Oh yes, I know that you worked some with Bob Bigelow, So I think that's pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: And here's a question for Matt. He wants to know, does Bob Biglow have any influence on Mofon anymore? I guess that question would be scared to mark a little bit. And how much does Elon Musk private space programs interact with NASA?
Speaker 3: So let me take that last question if you don't mind that. Sure, you're experiencing a second golden age of space exploration because of what SpaceX and other commercial space companies have done in noticable that eventually China will outspend us in space. We must out entrepreneur the Chinese. And it's the public private partnerships that's a good company like Blue Origin with SpaceX that have just revolutionized things, and my own company, Redwire. I'm so proud to be a part of a commercial space industry that is supporting NASA, providing innovations, new technologies, new capabilities that dramatically lower costs, that are benefiting not only the agency but the American people writ large. We've done hundreds of experiments on the International Space Station and at Redwire. For example, we print to the first human meniscus in space. I'm on the ISS that we build called the Biofabrication Facility, and there's not especial about space per ses. When you turn gravity off, you can print biologic structures in a way that you couldn't do in a one environment. If we tried to print that meniscus on Earth, it would just squish to the carman turn it's a slime, whereas in space we can print it, go through basically a curing process and bring it back down. Well, this won't be happening tomorrow. We have laid the foundations with the BFF of not only printing with meniscus. We printed cardiovascular tissue live, brought it back from the ISS still live. That could lead to tissue for heart patches to help with heart disease. We've also printed liver tissue on the ISS, so drink all you want tonight. We'll make you a new liver. While I'm being a little we are building the foundations of the ability to manufacture organs in space, and for example, the starship would be a wonderful vehicle to be able to conduct those activities in We've also got a system called pillbox where sea crystals, which are what drugs are made from, form and more uniform, larger fashion and microgravity, and those sea crystals can be brought down to Earth and be used to create drugs, pharmaceuticals with better longetivity, better solubility, fewer side effects. And this is all an example as to how commercial space can benefit not just exploration, not just NASA, but help everyone on Earth live a better life.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: I got to tell you just real quickly, and Mark, you've had to deal with this before. I was face to face the other day with someone that was a flat earther and I said, okay, I'm going to just bring up this one point. It says, if you're in space, you're in no gravity, and you take water, what does it do and it's what do you mean? I says, doesn't it go into a ball?
Speaker 1: That's what happen. Happens naturally.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that people are really buying that, but I don't want to get off on that topic.
Speaker 1: It's just, you know, a place in the world for everyone, right.
Speaker 4: Maybe not flat earthers, I will disagree.
Speaker 3: It's not a place on a round world forever.
Speaker 4: They don't understand physics, they don't understand a law of minimal surfaces, they don't understand how a sphere forms in the absence of gravity.
Speaker 3: So they don't let me say this relative to flat earthers, though, because I think it is actually relevant to the UAP commos. Okay that I think it's the lack of transparency on UAP is the sort of thing that drives these government conspiracies. And I actually think that the process and when we talk about disclosure, to me, it's a process. Disclosure is a process of objectively releasing and reviewing data and then following it wherever it goes. We can have disclosure and discover nothing extraordinary ory, we can discover something absolutely incredible. But it's that process and I think if we encourage transparency on this topic, then will be able to blow back harder against flat earthers and other nonsense conspiracies, because the government takes a credibility hit when we're not transparent, when we're not open, and when we dismissed topics like UAP without really following the scientific process.
Speaker 2: Very good point, and we had one more question, and then I'm afraid we're going to have to wrap up pretty quickly right here. Didn't someone recently propose to kickstart global warming on Mars using atmospheric nuclear detonations. I've heard something about this. They were going to try to and I think Elon had through thrown something out there about kickstarting Mars. I don't know if either one of you caught anything about that.
Speaker 4: I am, but I'm going to hear what Mike has to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't speak to it directly, but I'm certainly familiar with the concept that's terraforming and that there are activities that we could do to find a way to live on Mars. I think that's going to take a very long time and a lot of effort. I can't speak to whether setting off nuclear weapons is the best idea or not. But what I can say is I really appreciate and again can disagree or not with Elon's politics, but I really appreciate the investment that he's made in Starship, which is a craft design to carry humanity to Mars. And if all Elon wanted to do was to make money, believe me, there are a lot easier ways to make money than in the space industry and SpaceX. All they seem to do is develop a system and then use the profit from that or even Starlink to invest in creating an even better, more affordable system, not the activities to someone who's trying to squeeze dollars or even generate revenue for anything other than improving your product. And that's where I have to give huge kudos the SpaceX for the development of Starship, and for really Elon's singular goal to bring humanity to Mars and to create potential for ideas like terraforming. So I'm excited about the future and what we might be able to do. Although I can't speak specifically to that plan, Mark.
Speaker 4: I'm been the terraforming Mars is something I've always been interested in. I know we can't restart the Dynamo in the core of Mars. But the core of Mars is cooled enough so it doesn't have a magnetic field. We need the magnetic field to get an atmosphere to be retained. To do that, we can develop a and this was a project NASA. I don't know if you're aware of this. Mic there was a project on the docket to create an artificial magnetic field on Mars by putting a generator of some type. We don't have the technology to do it yet. At a lagron's point, a parking spot in space between Mars and the Sun where it would actually blanket because of the solar wind, it would blanket Mars with an artificial magnetic field, giving it water vapor capability in the atmosphere, which it doesn't have now because the UV radiation strikes it, disassociates it. Hydrogen gooser space, oxygen dive into the ground, further bonding with iron compounds, which is why Mars is red made rust. So clearly we want to be able to get around that. And so this artificial magnetic field process and project was out there as a hypothetical and I thought that was that's pretty cool. That's probably the only relatively realistic way we can do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mark is such a great point that you make. Members of your audience are familiar or fans of The Martian, as I'm sure many are the film book. Yeah, a friend of mine, NASA astronaut, was talking to Andy Weir, the author of The Martian, and asked, what's the biggest piece of science fiction in the movie and the book, and he said, protection against the radiation. That Matt and would have had a lot of different types of cancer because before he could eat that first potato. And we need to find ways to better protect our astronauts on the way to Mars. And then if you want to live long term on Mars, because those cosmic rays solar flayers are just deadly. So if we want to survive and thrive, as you describe, Mark, we've got to find better ways to mitigate against radiation.
Speaker 1: Exactly right.
Speaker 4: We need to let we need to let the Martian atmosphere build up naturally in some form, because we can't force a whole planet's atmosphere to retain the molecules that requires to create clouds and UV protection and so forth. But if we generate a magnetic field out there, we can because the solar flux drapes the magnetic field. You look at ours and it goes, ooh, look like that. I got you, Martin, time is up. I get it.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I do have to jump right over. Thank you both so much. It was really wonderful. And I can't believe this.
Speaker 3: Mike.
Speaker 1: The whole time you're using your phone. It looks great. It worked great. We save the day with that phone. So I want to thank you.
Speaker 4: Look like you're on the phone. That's great.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, the cameras where NASA spin off technology even part from Martian cameras.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's something.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, and thank you to the Space program.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, thank you so much. All right, so everyone you can look through the links.
Speaker 2: I'll have links in the show notes. And really enjoyed the topic and the talk tonight.
Speaker 1: Thank you both. Good night now,