Speaker 1: Streamy Live on the Ihearts Radio WAB. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to in the Ball here on Fox Sports Sports ten fifty I'm Steve Rivera. In with me is George Modis creating havoc here. God, it was like, give me his get his fixed going.
Speaker 3: We really fired him up.
Speaker 4: You got Ray handling the reky news today or one.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I'm gonna be taking it. Okay, cool afternoon.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're the you're the rookie.
Speaker 3: Goat. Here we go.
Speaker 5: So, you know, we started off the show with this, but you know, big big story coming into this today. Got you of a the Arizona State in that last home game of the season went thirteen to.
Speaker 4: Do you guys think that we've seen the last of Bobby Yeah, i'd say so, Yeah, he's done. Yeah, there they are. I don't know if the official word is gonna no, not a officially, yeah, but it's it's been known. Yeah, I think, Yeah, what are you talking to? You know, I have sources over there. You do talk to people about We'll talk about this and your connections to the past with former players because I know they come to the story right now, we'll talk about that.
Speaker 3: Why you you you're convinced too, right, Yeah, I believe so.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, yeah, well, I think when you have a little bit of desperation to it, or not even desperation, maybe just a little bit, uh, nothing to fight for necessarily all play for pride some of that someone when your best basketball comes out. But like, like we kind of talked about the begining of the show, it's a lot of talent that's been through Bobby's coaching carousel and not what has produced from it. Maybe one tournament run two and a half maybe, but given given the talent that they've had, that it should it should have been more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, people don't realize that's a big time school and you know obviously football program.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean the student body is one hundred and fifty thousand. I think it's about one hundred. Ye, it's a huge school. You know, they expect big things.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Following that up, Arizona women's basketball starts their Big Twelve Tournaments tomorrow against Colorado at twelve thirty. Colorado won their game against Houston I believe yesterday, So yeah.
Speaker 2: It's not tweeted earlier, there's nobody in the stands, but no one's going to go to the fifteen sixteen seed game. So we'll see if it gets any better. I know it's tough to get there too, right. People are already saying, I guess they canceled next week. They canceled some things on the fifth festivities because it's going to be cold. And your guy, your guy, I think is Brian kind of did you.
Speaker 3: See what he tweeted? Yeah, yeah, that's too bad.
Speaker 4: They don't have a site that they could use in lieu of going to Kansas City.
Speaker 3: Where would it be? Vegas? Vivas Vegas? Yes, did you usually go? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, killing a lot of people. Oh yeah, because they can't go. I mean it was the nickname Michel North. You know, it's killing me. I'm about to be on senior year spring break.
Speaker 6: It would have been a great opportunity to go to Vegas.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I got to go last year. It was It was a really good time. You know, just going to the press conferences and all that stuff. But you know, just keeping the ball.
Speaker 4: That's fun for you guys.
Speaker 3: Let's work. It's work.
Speaker 7: It's a new experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like one. Yeah, yeah, just.
Speaker 7: Keep the ball rolling.
Speaker 5: Auburn number one ranked team lost yesterday. It was Texas A and M's first time beating the number one ranked team in college basketball.
Speaker 7: It's kind of cool. Johnny Manziel was in attendance.
Speaker 5: He was also there when they beat number one ranked Alabama.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a great win for the Aggies.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, just well, to me, it shows that they're vulnerable and no one's there, no one's they're the favorite obviously, right, I'm going to get a catch catch hot here for six straight games I liked.
Speaker 3: I picked another team.
Speaker 2: I think I've already publicly said Arizona is in that mix kind of but I think they were like thirty five.
Speaker 4: To one to win it all.
Speaker 2: You're gonna spend ten bucks to win thirty five to one, you can say the Tim Bucks for Arizona.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fun beat. Yeah, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean that's I don't know what we can talk about more, but it's a to me, they're Sweet sixteen team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know if they have odds on that one, you know, uh Sweet sixteen in Final four. I think they do maybe if they you are you in DraftKings no smart man, of course you are.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I play and I win a lot of parlays. Well look at you.
Speaker 2: Yep, So maybe you get on see if they have a future event for final four.
Speaker 3: I don't think they do for six six sixteen. I know, I don't think so either.
Speaker 2: Yeah for Arizona, but there their final for championship is thirty five to one.
Speaker 3: Wow, like you said you did? Yeah, kind of I do that too.
Speaker 5: You know, it's always fun to root for the hometown team, and you know, I think it's it's a little flawed when you kind of don't root for the team that you like to root for, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: It's a little like double agency.
Speaker 4: Great, you haven't been around me long enough.
Speaker 2: I'll uh, I'll, I'll mess with that perception after because one's already listened to me enough to see.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm not a fan. I'm sorry, I gotta be boring.
Speaker 6: Yeah he's really not, though, So good plus seven fifty for the final four.
Speaker 4: So soon and a half, seventy five to one, seventy five to one, would you put that? No?
Speaker 3: No, no, fifty plus seven fifty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let me see, let me see, forty to one for the National Championship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, okay for a final four seven and a half, oh, seven and a half. Nice to get to the final four, So it pays okay, I don't know, so ten turns into seventy five dollars.
Speaker 3: Right, eighty five dollars exactly? Yeah, yeah, probably go for that, but hundred Steve.
Speaker 4: Might as well give it to you for those cards you got.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So switching over to some NFL, the Seahawks pretty much like lost their whole receiving court today. You know, Tyler Lockett got cut from the team and DK is asking for a trade. Now DK metcalf and so that's gonna that's gonna be a pretty crazy switch up.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Gino Smith, Uh, he had a good I feel like he had a decent year last year.
Speaker 4: But nothing nothing Seahawks. I mean, they don't really raise your eyebrows anytime. How long was last time? Maybe when they got to the Super Bowl against the the Patriots and they blew the call.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, in the past when they ran man yeah oh man.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh, Kyrie Irving towards a c L Man. It feels like the Mavericks just are cursed right now.
Speaker 4: Huh. Yeah, they are get rid of your baby and comes he gets hurt and then that's it. And the Cowboys he announced he doesn't even want to come back anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why what for? Do I still get paid?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Never mind?
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, yep.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sticking with the NBA too, Lebron scored got to fifty k yesterday. Regular season and playoffs. When it comes to points, felt like a pretty big milestone. I mean, when it comes to those greatest of all time conversations obviously always.
Speaker 2: Well because because that you said that his cards are like the card you you saw it he got hopeful for because he's gone past fifty thousand, his cards raised a little. Oh yeah, absolutely, yep, they do. They go up on a player performance.
Speaker 4: So you know, he's to me, Michael Jordan's still the going is Everybody else thinks he's the Isn't This might be a dumb statement by me, which I've said all the time on the show. Uh is he kind of not old but kind of it's tiring already?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they're not.
Speaker 2: Just because he's done so much and he does all these things. What does that matter now if he became the king of Egypt? I mean, he's Lebron. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, How much more can those cards get value? Because he's got If.
Speaker 4: They win another one and keeps going up, it does, And that's probably the nex Yeah, because then there's no debate, like he is the goat if he wins another one. I think so, I don't know, I mean popcorn. They're gonna They're gonna go for it. It's gonna be a good show him and Luca. You saw Michael Jordan's play, right, Yes, of course I know you and I did. These young these young kids have not seen him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Oh, these guys are Lebron.
Speaker 3: Don't put Lebron on my name.
Speaker 6: No, no jordanskay, Okay, I grew up.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 6: You play those two K games. It has Jordan on the cover. That was my first two K game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Kind of sticking with the Lakers. They've been on a crazy run since Luca got there. Jumped into the two seed yesterday, which I felt kind of kind of shaking up the NBA a little bit.
Speaker 2: Watch out for the Warriors. There are six with Butler, I think there were six. They won last night.
Speaker 4: I think I agree with you with the Warriors. I think it could be the Warriors Lakers in the Western Conference, but okase is pretty damn good that young team. You're shaking your head.
Speaker 6: You don't like the okay, see No, I think they're still a little bit too inexperienced. Uh And when it comes to the playoffs, I just don't trust them.
Speaker 3: They're kind of kind of like.
Speaker 6: The Timberwolves or Yeah, they look great on a regular season day, but when the stakes kids tied, who's gonna take the final shot?
Speaker 3: And I don't think either team has proved it. Yeah, okay, I'll writing that stuff down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, another kind of big news today around the horn and part of the interruption are.
Speaker 4: Oh I saw that taking off the air over right after like twenty some years.
Speaker 7: I think it was like twenty three or twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Three years, right right, kind of grew you guys kind of grew up on it right after, did you?
Speaker 3: Did you believe it was about time?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You have at your place, absolutely. Yeah, we run those all the time, and it was just that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have this.
Speaker 2: Our show is not really a debate unless I have Jayni fighting about something.
Speaker 3: Those things have kind of run its course. I think it did.
Speaker 4: Stephen and fight all the time. But it's tiring too. Yeah, yeah, it was. It was due. I thought you agree with Yes, George makes for good radio.
Speaker 9: Mm.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Max Crosby signed a super big extension. He's now the highest paid non quarterback. Got a three year deal for one hundred and six and a half million dollars.
Speaker 8: Nice.
Speaker 3: He's good. So did Tau He got paid yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And there was a there was another lineman that's retiring super early. He's only twenty nine. Sam Hubbard from the Bengals, uh, retiring after seven seasons. He was twenty nine. I thought he was doing pretty good on the Bengals. You know, they had a well they had a little bit of a down here this year, but overall they.
Speaker 3: The line is a brutal position.
Speaker 4: I mean a lot of people don't realize the fingers are just you know, you ever see those guys fingers they're sideways.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just it's tough on that. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, I mean you look at other shows, like I watched Pat McFee show a lot.
Speaker 7: You look at a J Hawk's fingers and it's just, man, they're going all good.
Speaker 5: And then tonight got a got a top ten matchup, right, after the show. A. Sorry, Alabama and Florida are playing, uh in Tuscaloosacalusa.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're playing in Tuscaloosa.
Speaker 4: Oh that's good. What's the what's the spread? Oh no, no, no, yeah, what's spread? Can you find that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: In Tuscaloosa, Alabama and Florida. Wow, that should be pretty good.
Speaker 7: Alabama's favored by three and a half.
Speaker 4: Yeah at home, that's about right. That should be a fantastic game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I mean it's coming down to the wire with with all these yeah, since since Conference sernaments are about to start and.
Speaker 3: Sees the top league in the country. Yes, yeah, okay, you agree with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there's so many I don't know if they have a winner there. I think I'm hoping I bet one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that's that's it. That's all I could do. You have anything on uh No, I mean we pretty much covered everything.
Speaker 6: Got some upcoming baseball softball games, and I'm actually really excited for tomorrow at the World Baseball Classic. I don't really get out to a lot of baseball games and or even just softball games, so I'm excited to see. I got a little bit of homework to do the one once I'm there, but like like like saying you're going to game or no. So part of the homework is going to interview fans and possibly like if he's hopeful, if cats eye news the one where we put on the newscast. Yeah, so, but regardless, I'm excited. Did it's for me? It's the day, the night before spring break starts. I'll be heading out to LA and I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I'm doing all these guys. I'm losing my help next week, so I got to actually run the board. I'm gonna be like you read, I'm gonna be a little nervous. Gonna have you when you do your card showing petings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, twenty next week, twenty third, next week, a week after, a week after.
Speaker 2: You're a busy man always Yeah, Okay, anything else? No, maybe we got about more about a minute a half. Now, let's just go. Let's just go get ahold of Michael lef Yeah, Michael.
Speaker 10: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino Del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise of Fasco Yuki? Try?
Speaker 11: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 9: Today.
Speaker 11: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Maddy to Go Designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 6: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 13: Leading edge and exercise equipment On twenty second just west of will Not Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 14: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 15: Salespeople, managers and agents with a Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 16: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO nine two nine to four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lindrix syn credit rates and available loan programs or subjcts to change with don't notice?
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 17: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games, from rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 14: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 17: Check them out at Showtime Cards or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trus Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 15: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen rout, sponsor of Iye on the Ball.
Speaker 8: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 9: Why is mining so important?
Speaker 15: It's the foundation of everything that defines this is Everything you see is a product.
Speaker 7: Of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why.
Speaker 5: Every society on this planet has developed, grown, and modernized based solely on the minerals if process.
Speaker 3: That's why my name is so important.
Speaker 4: DONNYBTYVM dot com.
Speaker 11: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress.
Speaker 14: The Window Depot is here to help.
Speaker 11: At the Window Depot, we're your one stop warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 14: You'll find it all here at the lowest prices.
Speaker 11: Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, Our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the ipsays at OHS. This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the ball Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in with me today is George Monies, Puan with us and Ray Now on the phone. We have Michael liv Michael, how are you good?
Speaker 9: How are you guys?
Speaker 3: We're doing fine.
Speaker 4: I want you to vouch for me. I did not fall asleep in last night's game.
Speaker 9: No, definitely not, even though I mean it was a super high scoring game, but it wasn't the most compelling game I've seen a mikhale this season. It certainly wasn't like, you know, like the Houston game or Highway Tick game or Texas Tech you know, all of those.
Speaker 2: How would you, well, how would you might be able to do this? Because you're a columnist at the Star, how would you write this season to this point?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What would you be? Your name?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's been weird leads. This is strange. This is a strange team. Yeah, you know, like the best player on the team is extremely inconsistent, right, total enigma. Sometimes he's amazing, and sometimes he cannot hit a shot to save his life. The players who start, you know, some of them aren't necessarily the best players on the team, right, Like they that changed a little bit when they when they inserted Henry Basar into the starting lineup, but you know a lot of their best lineup is kind of a mix of starters and backups. Certain guys kind of came out of nowhere this year, like Henry. You know, certain guys maybe haven't quite improved as much as we thought. Some guys haven't been disappointments, you know, like Trey Townsend hasn't really been what people thought he would be. And yet when you put it all together, this is a pretty darn good team and a team that has done very well in a difficult conference. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question.
Speaker 2: Last night you were at the game, did you think that you've seen Bobby for the last time?
Speaker 9: I mean I made that prediction the last time that Arizona faced ASU. I mean it was in part because of his his comportment, you know, his his behavior, the way he handled that endgame situation. But I also kind of clapped back at people who were trying to tell me that his record was too good for him to stick around. It really isn't. I mean, it is not that great, and it has not been that good since the pandemic. I think you know, some misfortune there, Yeah, for Asu, the timing of that that might have been one of his better teams. I was talking to Doug Tamreau, the ASU sports information director, about this the other day. They had a really good baseball team that year too, like a really really good, it is well team up at ASU, including you know, the guy who became the number one pick in the draft, Spencertoricalsen and they never got to see it through. So maybe there's some bad luck there. But hey, yeah, you know, you've had a lot of time to recover since then. NCAA appearances have been few and far between. It's kind of the benchmark. I think that his like his tenure, his run its course, and that he's they're going to go in a different direction. I don't have any sources on that. That's just my read on the situation.
Speaker 6: So, Michael, this is one just looking ahead. You know, they have the Kansas game, they will have the Big twelve tournament, but realistically, this team has three guaranteed games left. What what is this team's ceiling? What is his team's floor, and what what will be like the X factor for this team going forward.
Speaker 9: I think the ceiling is maybe the elite eighth. I think the floor is, you know, one and done in the NCAA tournament. I'd like to think that that's not going to happen and probably end up, you know, somewhere between a four and a six seed, depending on how these last few games play out, so they will be favored in that first game no matter who they face. You would like to think that the experiences that they've had in recent years will help them, you know, playing as a favorite, or you know, winning games when the ball is not going through the hoop at the rate that they're used to that sort of thing. I mean, I know the defense hasn't been very good lately, but it's been pretty good overall, and you could argue that it's actually been like better than the offense has been, which is uncharacteristic for a Tommy Lloyd team. But that's okay, you know what, whatever gets the job done. I think the biggest X factor is probably Caleb Love. You know, I think you kind of know what you're gonna get from most everybody else. With Caleb, we have no really, you have no idea going into a given game if his shots falling, if he gets on a hot streak, I think Arizona could go a long way, and if he's in a slump like we've seen. Then they're going to have to figure out a way to overcome that, and that just makes everything that much more difficult.
Speaker 2: So, Michael, you said the floor in the ceiling, which is more likely?
Speaker 9: Ooh man, that's tough. I don't know. I mean, the odds are that it would lean more towards the floor than the ceiling. Because it's hard. It's hard to make a run. It's hard to get to the Elite eight or the final four. Is Arizona fans well, no, even though they're you know, considered a quote unquote blue blood program, they haven't made it to the Elite eight in how long, Steve like fifteen, like ten years? Yeah, a decade or so. So it's it's tough. It's really tough. And and this is a like I said at the beginning, like this is a strange team that's hard to get a read on. It's definitely like different from Tommy's previous teams, which maybe that's a good thing. You know, maybe this team's got a little bit more toughness to it, a little more mental and physical toughness to it that will help help them get through some rough patches because you know, at some point in time in the tournament, there's they're gonna hit a rough patch. They're gonna face a team that's hot from the outside, or a team that is going to play some sort of a zone defense that's gonna throw them off and they're gonna have to figure it out on the fly. I mean, I think they have a good amount of experience, guys who have been there and done that in the postseason. It's not like a super young team. They have a lot of veterans. They have size. They don't have great shooting from the outside. That's maybe the biggest variable that they have. But yeah, I don't know. I don't really know which which is the right answer, certainly hoping that it's the ceiling and not the floor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no question.
Speaker 2: You've gone to a number of press commerces obviously postgame you missed a couple of What are your perceptions of Tommy this year? And I'm talking not so much on the court, but off off of it. When you get to see him talk to him, I think he's I.
Speaker 9: Don't know if this is different from where it's been in the past, but he's very protective of his players.
Speaker 18: I feel like.
Speaker 9: He, especially new Caleb love.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean he talks about him like this was you were there last night. Like I asked him about what it was like to go through you know, senior night with his son, Yeah, Liam, and he was sort of like, you know, business as usual whatever. William's doing his own thing. And then when he's talking it like he's almost talked more affectionately about loved son, which I don't know if he probably doesn't really feel that way, but it kind of came off that way, which I just thought it was kind of funny. But what I what I you know, thought he might say is like something to the effect of, like I view these all of these guys like my son, you know, like he's talked about this before. He talked about it with Lumar Baalo, like he used himself as a caretaker for.
Speaker 3: These kids, right, And.
Speaker 9: That's what sort of the most common theme that I've noticed in his his preim post game press briefings this year.
Speaker 2: It's funny because you I can't remember the question you asked and he responded, you know, because some of these guys, it's kind of like the Barbie Night approach. You know, do you like coaching basketball? What do you think I like coaching, you know, they bring you into the conversation. He had one of those questions for you after what kind of question? Because he does that to me right now, Oh.
Speaker 3: I knew what it was.
Speaker 9: I know what it was. Yeah, I was. I was asking about Jaden Bradley dunking in the game. He was like, oh, how many time? You know how many times he dunk this year? And I said three? It might be four, but who's keeping track of that? And I said I you know, And I said I was because I'll be planning to write something about Jayden Bradley. So there was a reason that that I asked that question in that particular way. But yeah, I think he's you know, he's playful with the media. There's a good give and take, you know, the barbs that he exchanges with my colleague Bruce Pasco, it's all in good fun. I think I think he's a good guy. Whereas Bobby Knight different stories.
Speaker 4: There was a question someone asked last night where they said, like they compared like, how did this game compared to an NBA that was and he seemed kind of up. Never coached the NBA, so you can't. That's how he always answer that's how he is. You know, you can't presume he.
Speaker 9: Doesn't like Yeah, he doesn't like hypotheticals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's I don't like to live in the hypothetical.
Speaker 4: Know, he does a lot. He does a lot when you ask a question, But do you ask me so so?
Speaker 2: Uh? Kansas here, and I think I want to ask you a great question about what's the future like that? But what's Kansas gonna look like? That's gonna be tough. In fact, Uh, I think you had asked Brian about the number of times that uh, that Bill self has lost in the in the final game of the year.
Speaker 9: Probably not many. Kansas is very emotional two senior day for them. That is the mecca of college basketball, pretty much one of the toughest places to play in the country. But that's a that's another really weird team. Kansas has been a pretty big disappointment this season. They also lack outside shooting. So I think Arizona has a really good chance. I think Arizona is going to be much more attentive in that game than they were last night. I do not think despite the fact that it was Asu, the rivalry all of that, I don't think they took the Sun Devils that seriously, and that was reflected and how bad they were defensively in that game.
Speaker 2: This whole year, you could talk about every game that they are not taking teams seriously they have they struggle with I've followed it for thirty some years now and that's exactly been the problem under Loot, under Sean and now Tommy, where they kind of play with their food, play with their food, and if they get in trouble light they get beat. But last night they were they didn't get beat.
Speaker 9: You know what that is? That human nature? You're exactly eighteen two year old kids attention spans. Yeah, you know, yeah, none of that surprises me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're exactly right. I talk about that all the time. If you're not emotionally ready to get ready for a game, then you're gonna get beat. And you're right, human nature, and it's I saw it for Loots teams primarily because they had good dudes, you know, Richard Jefferson, Luke Waton, Gilbertine is, oh, we got this, don't worry about it. And then they show up. The other team says you don't got this. I We're going to beat you, and they have to eventually find a way to win.
Speaker 4: Correct and it kills the fan because there are some games you're watching.
Speaker 3: The whole game, frustrated home game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're winning the whole game, and then we just lose it at the end the last couple of minutes.
Speaker 9: And I'm like, wow, yeah, I think he was. Yeah, he referenced the game against the ASU from a couple of years ago where they ended up hitting the winning shot, and I kept saying to you, Steve, you know late in that game last night, like they're hanging around. Yep, they're still still there. They haven't really been able to pull away. At one point, you know, it got to a three point game, and I think that got their attention. You know, then all of a sudden, I think it was a six to zero run or an eight to oh run, and they kind of put them away at that point. But hey, you know, we're kind of in you know, that was if there was a dog Day's game, I think that was last night. Yeah, nice, that was the dog right, And this is the upcoming Saturday is kind of the start of the postseason, even though it's officially not.
Speaker 4: Well, I no, you exactly, It's almost like one and done.
Speaker 3: Time.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, let me switch gears a little uh football, Uh, there was a surprise move, at least to me earlier this week or late last week.
Speaker 4: When did Atina decide to leave? Were you taken aback by that.
Speaker 3: A little bit?
Speaker 9: Just because you know, he's you know, obviously obviously in the little latter stages of his career, he's sixty eight years old. Kind of thought maybe this was, you know, his last opportunities compensated pretty well. But I've also heard that a lot of his families in Austin that there might be like, you know, wanting to be closer to the grandchildren kind of situation going on there a little bit. And maybe he's a little upset that he was removed as defensive coordinator. You know, it seemed like he was, you know, part of that decision making process, but not not hugely surprised. I mean, these assistant coaches in college football, they move around so much. You know, if if you last anywhere more than two years, it's almost almost the exception these days. Now, he's obviously not trying to climb the career latter at this point in in his in his coaching career, but now, I wasn't usually surprised. I also don't think it's going to have that huge of an impact on the team unless there's some players who end up following him, and we'll see what that looks like when the spring portal window opens. I don't I don't think that a lot of players are If any.
Speaker 2: One last quick quick question. Adia starts her postseason here tomorrow. I know you've written a column about her situation, unsigned contracts and stuff like that. What do you think is going to happen with this program? I'm asking you like, yeah, I'm asking you lightly.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's pretty tenuous. I gotta be honest, you know I I I am not sure she's gonna be the head coach of this program beyond this spring. We'll see what happens. Something is going to have to come to a head in terms of her future and what desiree Reid Francois wants this program to look like. I think there's still some questions about how much, you know, the department is willing to invest in woman's basketball, despite the fact that it draws extremely well. I you know, as far as nil revenue sharing, all of those things. I mean, they're they're kind of in a tough spot. The teams that have kind of finished ahead of them in the Big Twelve, they've spent money to acquire players, and that's just kind of the way it is right now. I don't know if you can win if you don't do that, And it doesn't seem like from what I've heard that there's going to be a huge investment in women's basketball to enable Adia or whoever the next coach is to do that. So that's a challenging and interesting situation here. Then we'll learn more over the next few weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me like one more last question because I know you cover this ye whole hardly. The baseball program. Chip Pail didn't start well, but he's got a team, apparently because they played well over the last few days.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it is very hard as fans to not panic when you see your team lose the second game of the season sixteen to five and third game of the season thirteen to one. But the baseball season is extremely long. We knew that this was a good veteran team. We knew that they played really good teams that first weekend, so I'm not surprised that they've had a good run of success since going zero to three to start the season. Now they got nine home games coming up here in a row, a really good opportunity to kind of establish themselves as a serious threat to win the Big twelve over these next two weekends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Michaels always, thank you very much. We'll see you soon.
Speaker 2: Thank you, appreciate it all right, take care. I can read Michael at the Arizona Today Star. Obviously Tucson dot com just got to subscribe to the paper. Let's take a break here. We talk more about a lot of different things here on the other side. If you're an Arizona man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Lut, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot Rivera a gmail dot com.
Speaker 18: Hey Wildcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders, I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the Exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four ah three five five one four four four four a H three five five one four four four.
Speaker 15: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 14: Learn how at PEMA dot edu.
Speaker 4: Slash Someday, Hey Tucson, Steve Rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back.
Speaker 2: At home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 6: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 13: Arizona Health the remage and exercise equipment on twenty.
Speaker 12: Second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 14: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 19: We believe less is more let's piece means more money in your pocket, Let's hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less's More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app just search Ie on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hello, we're back talking about this here. One of my great sponsors, showtime Cards George Montus with me Rey. We're inn in the board and one supervising us. There was something I wanted to talk about, not so much cards. Did you have something I you could go just because we're in Arizona show. Yeah, the Suns came back from twenty three down. Oh I saw that and there was a little bit of controversy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, where Katie they were They think it was time out. Katie comes to the bench and the coach trying to talk to him and he grabs Katie by the arm farm and Katy kind of like rips it away, and that's all I saw. But apparently there was a little bit more after where they kind of like actually mutually exchanged words, kind of like trying to figure out what was going on in the game.
Speaker 4: Right, So I saw that? Did you see that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I saw in a tweet. Yeah, I didn't see the after effects. I don't know if Katie is going to be there next year. What do you guys think? Definitely not right. No, I don't think he wants to. I don't think so either. That team is so underachieved and very inconsistent.
Speaker 3: Devin Booker.
Speaker 4: He can start off a game like the other day he had I know because I'm betting his over points twenty seven points. He's got ten points in the first quarter, seventeen in the first half, and then he doesn't score a single point the second half.
Speaker 3: You're you're like Ja the Koda, you know.
Speaker 4: So it's just that team, it is it's it's it's up and down and then they come back.
Speaker 2: And this doesn't happen with good teams where you know, you've been married.
Speaker 4: I've been married.
Speaker 2: These kids don't get married if there's no chemistry if there's no chemistry and if you don't want to be there, it's hard to fix. And they were good eight and one. I think it was to start the year. They haven't been good since. There's got to be I'm a psychologist on the show, right, there's got to be issues within the family. As does that make sense because stuff like that just doesn't happen. If you've got good talent, you learn how to play together, right, and they haven't learned how to play together, no matter how good they are. Doubt talented they are. And he's one of the best, right, But everywhere I shouldn't say everywhere he goes, he didn't know. Yeah where it's it's watched me, look at me.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you think about it, about fifty percent of the place he's gone, have you had issues? Have had the issues? You know the thunder. They were young, so they're yeah, they're supposed to have those issues. Get into a little bit of later years and you know, Katie needs a championship. He goes to the Warriors, he succeeds, goes to the Nest because you need something fresh. That didn't work out. Now he's with the Suns. It's still not working out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well he left Golden State because he wasn't the man. It's Cray's team, so he's like, I need my own team. That's why he went to Brooklyn, wasn't it with Lebron? Yeah, so let me ask you, what about Guy Rodgers? Is his card worth anything now? For for the Jets? Rogers? Well, as a matter of fact, I just bought an autograph card yesterday with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with him, Yeah, Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: Okay, mister investor, why would you do that of his?
Speaker 3: He still sells people still.
Speaker 4: I mean he won to he won a you know, championship, he was, he was one of the greatest.
Speaker 3: He get thee.
Speaker 4: He's an exception, he is, But I mean same thing. He's got this weirdness about him. You know, he's kind of a character. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, they paid a ton of money for two years and got achilles injury and no wins, wins.
Speaker 4: Released, then they released Devonte. Well he'll end up with Rogers somewhere. Aren't you a Raiders Raiders raider? Yeah, you cust your fingers here, Yeah, because you're a big Raider show. Yeah, you get the private jet go up every weekend. Yes, it's no private jet, but I do go your team. What's your team in football? The football? The Broncos. Okay, so what do you guys have miseries?
Speaker 9: Not this year?
Speaker 3: No, they have a good quarterback. Yeah, and a good coach.
Speaker 6: You know, I think he's a little bit overrated coach, our coach, the Broncos coach. I think one of the reasons we lost to the Bills was because of him and his play calling.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you your your life. We got Pete Carroll, Mark Marcus Allen. Isn't coming through that that wall, that locker room. Oh no, no, that's a bad blood with those guys. But you still love them and you still go to the games, and oh yeah I do. And it's fun. It's in Las Vegas. It's quite an event. Yeah, it's I'm sure it's a crazy place to go with. It has great halftime shows and it's you know, it's it's awesome.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll see Ray. Who's your team? You probably give the Rams or somebody.
Speaker 7: Oh I'm a I'm a big Niners.
Speaker 4: Well I figure exactly a lot of Rays near LA But it's near.
Speaker 7: Yeah as cuse as San Francisco. Yeah, yeah, grew up big forty nine ers.
Speaker 5: Fans start started watching when I started playing, like Pop Warner and stuff.
Speaker 7: So Jim Harbaugh was the coach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, grew to despise the Seahawks and now you know a few more teams.
Speaker 3: And what do you think they're gonna pay brought perty or.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean they should n't.
Speaker 20: I mean, I agree they should pay him, but it's just he has he has that spark and it's yeah, I guess you know, maybe a little like physically he's a little limited, you know, smaller stature kind of guy, doesn't usually play.
Speaker 7: Well in the weather games.
Speaker 5: But I mean he he has that it factor where it's like, you know, when it's when it's time to go win a game, he'll he'll usually do that, like with against good teams or against bad teams. I mean even in that Super Bowl a couple of years ago, he had him in the game the whole time.
Speaker 3: He's got good football IQ. I mean they were in that game. They couldn't they should have won. Don't you want that as your quarterback?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 3: I mean you can give you.
Speaker 2: Your Rogers and the talent blah blah blah, but if you have the quarterback with quarterback IQ.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like a point guard. You don't you don't teach.
Speaker 4: McConnell's proven that you don't have to jump through the gym and blah blah blah, you just got to run the team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and a lot of people, I mean, it's this huge cliche because you know, late round, late round guy and similar, like you know, everybody always gonna do comparison to like Tom Brady and stuff like that. But it's like, you know, when you look at like Tom Brady when he was in college, is like he didn't really start a whole ton. You know, he would just like come in and he would just go in and win games. Like they would like put it similar and just win games. And it was kind of you know, it's kind of like that when when Brock was in college. I mean he you know, going against Oklahoma and stuff like that. It's gonna be a little tougher, but yeah, yeah, do you believe do you believe in the sports?
Speaker 3: Gods? Do you believe in that? It's a serious question. Do you believe in the sports?
Speaker 2: So sometimes you just catch lightning in a bottle and you become Tom Brady. You know, he was with a backup forever. And then the guy gets a blize yeah, and gets hurt, and all of a sudden, here's this guy, you know.
Speaker 3: And he becomes a goat.
Speaker 4: I mean that's yeah, that's a sports guy.
Speaker 3: Dawkins gets hurt.
Speaker 6: Dawkins goes out against Colorado, and then four hundred and some yards later, Calil Tate's the Heisman.
Speaker 3: Favorite, right right. It happens just like that, Yeah, and then it goes away. And then it goes away.
Speaker 6: We're talking about he comes in for a half wins in the National Championship. Concussions here and there, and now you're wondering Willie Last.
Speaker 4: No, I believe. I believe in that circumstances events, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sports gods are real. I try not to rely on them.
Speaker 4: You don't pray to them. Is that this is radio that's shaking up the head. Doesn't get me anywhere.
Speaker 6: No, I don't, well, see I'm not, I don't. I don't want to touch anything to do.
Speaker 3: I know they're there. I don't want to. Yeah, just just let me let me watch my team sports card.
Speaker 4: Rip it up, George, this is for the sports gud.
Speaker 2: You you be betting when you're betting, like.
Speaker 3: You said, you haven't, maybe all all start.
Speaker 2: It's like, George, here ten points in the fresh quarter, seventeen and a half.
Speaker 3: I got this, and in the fourth quarter you.
Speaker 4: Say, come on, come on please, He's right, He's right, it is what it is, right, Yeah, go ahead, right.
Speaker 5: So question for you, George, You know you sound like a pretty pretty superstitious sports god.
Speaker 3: Guy.
Speaker 5: Do you have like a do you have a routine before the Raiders play or like before you put in a like when you're watching a bet.
Speaker 4: I don't, but I do have. Yeah, I have my my chair where I watch the games. But as far as the Raiders, we always we always crossed the bridge, so we walk across and they have you know, it was last year. Actually they changed it now they did like a they have a marching band and we do the March of victory. But we never win, so I don't know why they call it the March of victory. But it was always we would walk on the same side of the you know, and it it never worked on the So at the certain area where you walk across this and it's a mile, it's it's a long walk in the stadium, you know. They blalk off the road and you you know, walk aross the bridge. Yeah, where do you say at Mandalay Bay right across?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well when you're in Vegas. You've been in to Vegas, I'm sure a few times. Will you see the strategy?
Speaker 4: Right? And you're like over here at an ex caliber or something that's like ten miles but you think it's just right there.
Speaker 3: I see it right, and then you walk you see what the hell am I doing? Right?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 4: That exactly the raid the stadium and Mandalay Bay is the first hotel that the nearest one.
Speaker 3: And it's still a mile, it's still a way.
Speaker 2: No, I know I've walked that when the Arizona team played by you and two.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's right, Yeah it was you look, can you see it's just right there? No problem?
Speaker 3: What am I doing? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Exactly, Especially walking back after a lot, it's not fun. No, no, And you go to you don't go to all of them.
Speaker 3: Not all of them.
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, I gotta he gets the girl and take me with let's go. Yes, and I get rooms comped because I play, and and food comped. So it's yeah, okay, yeah, don't tell right to that.
Speaker 3: She's listening.
Speaker 4: I know she is Steve. She's a good girl. Yeah, she's a good girl. Okay, No, thanks for coming in todaysure, fine, I love it.
Speaker 2: Anybody want to call for the last second shot you have it got about two to three minutes. Maybe get raised some practice here. We'll have tomorrow, we'll have Dave Silver comes back. We'll probably have you when you when you have a chance, if you're ready to come back next week. Chris, Chris was like a little boy here.
Speaker 9: It's just you.
Speaker 4: You know how he can't gets fired uf He's just got to have the juice man. Yeah, but he just got back into the cards here. He just disappointed him too, right.
Speaker 2: He thought he had like ten thousand dollars in no real he thought he come on, he was.
Speaker 3: Like coming more that Paul skin is a heartbreaker for it. Right, it's a great card. I mean it is low numbered, but yeah, three hundred dollars is good money.
Speaker 2: So so being a WWF guy is a tough wwt UFC is a tough way to make a living. Sports writing, it's tough way to make a living. Being a poke player is a tough way to make a living. Is just a tough way to make a living.
Speaker 3: Your card used to be believe it or not.
Speaker 4: You know, everybody thinks like, oh, George is making all this money and he's.
Speaker 3: Rich and all this.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 4: I've had the store twenty seven years. The first seventeen years I barely made a living. You know, it was and it just caught fire. Just caught fire, it really did. It started like in twenty sixteen, and we've been on a nice front. You were paying for the car. Yeah, that was the card gods. Absolutely, yeah, the card gods. Yeah, sacrificing some cards and okay, we got to go, okay, we're so good. And things helped to you know, like Pokemon. You know you have some locked along the way. You know, Pokemon was a Christmas toy that actually saved our store. Was a Christmas toy of two thousand. Now Pokemon's fire again.
Speaker 3: Well how does that happen? I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's just especially with Pokemon, that's kind of odd. You know, it's sports cards. You could see it. You know, you have a Lebron James or you know some of these greatest Otani.
Speaker 3: You know, these greatest players come in.
Speaker 4: Everybody wants their cards and wants to collect but with Pokemon, it's just something you.
Speaker 3: Know, culture.
Speaker 2: You gotta So if you if I found a card tomorrow, just bought one, whatever, how would I know it's any good?
Speaker 4: I mean, you just have to know which ones day. As far as Pokemon, yeah, you have to. Yeah, the Char's arts and the and the Pikachu's and all that. The one my son sold is is Pancho Pikachu. It's Pikachu and he's wearing like a hoodie a Pancho and that's that's the hot one. Every time you say Pikachu, I say, good bless you. I don't want to tell you.
Speaker 6: As soon as you started talking Pokemon, he turned what.
Speaker 4: The oh yeah, that's always became glassy.
Speaker 3: It was nothing to do with this.
Speaker 4: It was like last night's basketball game.
Speaker 3: Please tell me what to say. My son's listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you want him to be in a pre Mets Yeah, and your and your ex wife is saying, don't George.
Speaker 4: Yeah what, don't even put ideas into them. I didn't raise him to become a you exactly.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 4: She said she was going to be a doctor, and she sacrificed her career to help me with the store, which is not true.
Speaker 3: She is a nurse practitioner. She's almost a.
Speaker 2: Diet but you know, talk to your attorney, sir. That's a that's a personal problem. Thanks everybody for coming on the show's fun Show today, Fun Yeah, yeah, we'll have you back again soon. Thank you, thank you. Kind of got the you got the job. Jack one's got the good teacher mode in him. Nice cause