Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: I bought along my son Jonathan, who in the year two thousand.
Speaker 3: And one will be the same age as I am.
Speaker 2: Now maybe he will be better adjusted to this kind of world that you will will try to controy. The big difference when he grows up. In fact, if we wanted to wait for the year two thousand and one, is that he will have in his own house, not a good as big as this, but at least a console to which you can talk to his friendly local computer and get all the information meets for his everyday life, but his bank statements, the theater reservations, all the information you need in the course of fitting in a complex modern society.
Speaker 3: This will be in.
Speaker 2: A compact form.
Speaker 3: In his own house.
Speaker 2: He'll have a television screen like Bhaer and the keyboard, and he'll talk to the computer, get information from it, and he will take it as must ground as we take the telephone.
Speaker 4: K IF I am six forty is Later with Moe Kelly. That was the voice of Arthur C. Clark, my favorite science fiction writer ever. It was in nineteen seventy four and he was in the middle of an interview with ABC News that sound that you heard in the background with the big cabinets of tapes running of what used to be computers, and he was talking to a young child young by nineteen seventy four standards older than me, who would live in a world one day in which computers could fit on the size of a desk and we'd be able to talk to the computers and be able to do our banking and be able to communicate with each other. Hey, that'll never happen never, or at least Arthur C. Clark could foresee it in nineteen seventy four. Here we are in twenty twenty five, and he couldn't have been more right. Marshall Collier, it's great to see you. And I wanted to use that as a lead in because as we talk about tech, it's nice to remember how far we've come.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's amazing. It is just amazing how far we've come. I mean you, I'm I'm sure you're old enough to remember Windows three one.
Speaker 3: Yes, I remember three point one.
Speaker 5: I remember returning Windows one point oh to the store and said, why would I need this?
Speaker 4: I just remember when I first saw Windows and I realized that, wait a minute, it looks a lot like my Apple two C.
Speaker 5: Yeah, didn't it, Yes, it did. Yeah, they had some discussions about that. But that's a whole other show. I got something for you today which blows me away. I've used a product from this company several years ago when I went to Alaska to Nowhere land north of the Arctic Circle. We were staying at a truck stop. The snow was twenty feet high, there were no connections, there was no running water.
Speaker 3: This was a vacation.
Speaker 6: I loved it, seriously.
Speaker 5: It was the best adventure, the best adventure Alaska in the winter. As long as you have the right clothes, not a problem. But I was very concerned about my internet, and I had an early version of this product. These people came out with a new product and because of the fire, you know, I was the North Reech earthquake was the worst thing that ever happened to me. Now we had these horrible fires, which I think were even worse with the destruction, and you think about you didn't have Wi Fi.
Speaker 6: How could you connect?
Speaker 5: And we've talked about this why people have landlines, Because landlines are often the first to be reconnected. Yes, you know so, but now they're reconnecting the Wi Fi and the cellular signals. But the cellular signals, uh, you know, it takes a while. So found this product. I saw them at Cees.
Speaker 3: It's about the size of the phone.
Speaker 5: It's exactly the size of smaller than my phone. It's called the solst Go. I'm showing it to here. It's a small device. It's got three cables attached to it.
Speaker 4: It looks like an external battery that you put on your phone.
Speaker 5: Maybe, well, funny you should say that, because it is a battery. It is a power bank. And we've talked about that. Eight thousand milliamp hours.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 6: That's a lot that can do two phones.
Speaker 3: Do you have? Most phones are like three point six or so.
Speaker 5: Right, so you don't have a problem if you're in a disaster, if you're in an earthquake, your phone has died, you can plug it in. It has three cables USBC, USBA.
Speaker 3: And lightning, yes, light cable for app.
Speaker 6: I always call it thunderbault.
Speaker 3: We know what you mean.
Speaker 6: It's an iPhone. But you have the three connectors.
Speaker 5: You can charge it easily on the side, simple and What it is is a hotspot, just like you could make your phone into a hotspot. Right, this is a power bank and a hotspot. You can put up to ten people on this device.
Speaker 4: In an emergency, I could be with a dead phone in a dead zone and be able to both charge my phone for at least three or four full charges, ten devices on it if need be, and also have some sort of signal. I can't say Wi Fi, but satellite signal, uh.
Speaker 5: No, it picks. They have deals right now. It's connected to AT and t okay. They have deals with the different companies and just like an mv and O, you know, like consumer cellular mobile. They make deals with the Google Fi right and Google Fi, and I don't know who they use. They usually don't talk about all that. But it can run ten devices all at once, simultaneously going to the internet. It has virtual SIM technology if you need to use that on your phone.
Speaker 4: That would be great in the event that let's say you are home. You have the generator for the house, but that could be used for all your devices and communication needs in a given.
Speaker 5: Modele as long as there's a signal somewhere. And I am telling you hand to God, folks. Really, I was in the middle of nowhere, there were moose near me. That was it, and I could get a signal on this company's earlier device. This is called the Solace sols Go.
Speaker 3: How much are we talking about ballpark?
Speaker 6: About one hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's more than reasonable.
Speaker 5: And guess what it comes with one gig of data a month free for the rest of your life.
Speaker 4: And you're not going to be using one gig of data except for those extreme emergencies.
Speaker 5: If this is an emergency device or a great travel advice a device, I mean you go to another country. There are some people who honestly, the international plans when you travel can be ridiculous.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: The first thing you do see when you get off the plane in a foreign country is those kiosks to buy cards and SIM cards. Now there are eSIMs now, but I would not use a foreign e SIM in my phone.
Speaker 3: No, no, no.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, that's part of the reason why I use Google five because I can use it internationally exactly.
Speaker 5: And I have a T mobile that comes with free international. And next week we'll be talking about the mvn os and e sims versus regular sims. But anyway, it's difficult in some countries to get connections, and once you have that, you can be connected. I just think aside from you know, think about it Wi Fi connectivity, it's called VSIM technology whatever. Charge your phones around one hundred dollars, I think, and the free data for life, free gigabyte per month.
Speaker 4: I always think about devices in terms of reliability. Can I use this in a pinch? Can I depend on it? Will I know that it's going to be there if there are extenuating circumstances like a disaster or a personal emergency.
Speaker 6: Like I told you, I can.
Speaker 5: My husband and I can both testify we have one of these. We have used it, We depended on it. There was no way else we were going to get a signal because.
Speaker 3: You only got one chance in emergency.
Speaker 6: In an emergency, especially.
Speaker 3: That, I gotta know, it's gotta work well.
Speaker 5: In the north Ridge quake, we had nothing. So but this will give you. Put it in your go bag, keep it there, and always have.
Speaker 3: It when we come back. Let's talk about a little bit of T Mobile and Starling. Can you do that for me?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: You bet all right?
Speaker 6: That won't be free.
Speaker 4: You got that right, it's Later with Mo Kelly. Marsha Coluer joins me in studio. Ka if I am six forty.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: What's the easy way to get online? It's gotta be America. I'm line.
Speaker 6: I love hearing her.
Speaker 3: You've got three twenty four hour customer service. Everyone I know is on ALI.
Speaker 6: My favorite feature on AOL is dis messages.
Speaker 3: I feel real secure with AOLZ, with protal controls. I feel better about my kids being online. All easy, So weased to use No wonder it's number one, had four it's not number one anymore?
Speaker 4: Yeah, can if I am six forty, it's Later with mo Kelly. We all remember AOL.
Speaker 5: It's totally scary. Is I know people who still haven't at AOL dot com?
Speaker 3: You mean my mother?
Speaker 6: Oh? Really?
Speaker 2: My dad?
Speaker 6: Hot? Was that your mom? Hot chicken?
Speaker 2: Ale?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, no, that wasn't her. But she still uses AOL and I can't break her up.
Speaker 3: What were you going to say?
Speaker 4: Stepan, and some people have AOL account. I was like, yeah, like my dad. It is a generational thing for sure. Oh, gosh, maybe they were first introduced to the Internet and email.
Speaker 6: Well so was I.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but sure, this is your bread and butter.
Speaker 3: This is your life, sotile, this is your career.
Speaker 5: In many everybody I see who still has an Aol email address, please do yourself a favor. Gmail is free. Get a Gmail account, and don't put a silly name at the beginning. Try and use a format of your name.
Speaker 3: Look, it makes sense to you and me. It may even be common sense.
Speaker 4: I just know a lot of people that I still deal with have an Aol email address, and.
Speaker 6: There's a perception problem. There's a perception.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, I'm very judgmental.
Speaker 4: If I see an AOL address, it's like you deserve some sort of Nigerian scammer to come get you using an Aol email address.
Speaker 3: Well, dare you?
Speaker 6: How about if you had a Starlink email.
Speaker 4: Address Starlink, I don't think I've met anyone with a star Link email address.
Speaker 6: Think you have, Well I don't know. I don't know because I don't have Starlink. But if that's your internet provider, maybe.
Speaker 3: It would make sense. They'd probably have something that would be kind of cool. But since you mentioned Starlink. We have a story to talk about.
Speaker 6: Funny how that happens.
Speaker 5: In July, T Mobile is going to launch commercial service for Starlink satellite phone service. It's going to be free for T Mobile customers on the Go five G Next plan and available for other customers for a monthly faith And we'll talk about that because other no matter who your provider is, you can buy satellite connection for your phone.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this, because we've seen satellite phones depicted in movies and it was usually reserved for military or very very wealthy people. Why do you think other than just greed, traditional providers have not more quickly moved to offering satellite service.
Speaker 6: I think it's very expensive.
Speaker 5: I mean, let's face it, eline in my humble opinion, Yet they use launching those satellites as lessons learned. They learned so much from putting those satellites in orbit and the communications between satellite to satellite bouncing to Earth bouncing back. I mean, and to make it mobile for people's mobile homes and things like that. Yeah, I think you can't say that. You said this week that there are failed technologies which we never saw again, but that's not true. A lot of times those technologies are adopted into new technologies and are made even better. And that's why everything when it comes to technology and science, even the smallest discovery can be a big win when it becomes part of something bigger. But let me just tell you about this. If you'd like to try the starlink service, the beta phase is free to T Mobile customers, at and T and Verizon customers. Anybody can use it, probably Google five. It's a beta now. You get it free through July first or the July the month and until they start charging money for it. And if you want to go to sign up for it, you'll have to replay the podcast. If you don't get it first, go to www dot T dashmobile dot com, slash coverage slash Satellite dash phone dash service hash sign or number sign sign dash up dash Beta dash form.
Speaker 4: That will be in the podcast because I know you didn't get that the first time.
Speaker 6: To repeat that a couple times.
Speaker 5: Anyone on any carri carrier, no matter who your carrier is, you can sign up to join the beta test and get satellite powered messaging at no cost until July.
Speaker 6: And you're right, it's kind of like a big it's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: I guess how would you say, Let's say, I mean, with the exception of people who obviously live in more rural areas, more of out of the way areas, what would be some of the benefits of satellite coverage other than just knowing that wherever you are in the world, you're covered.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: Well, because for example, one of our listeners had emailed me and she had a daughter who goes hiking and they wanted to stay in touch and there was no signal out there. She just I turned her onto Google five and it worked. I mean, there is a signal for almost everyone in cities. It's the parts of the world, and it really is said. And by the way, talking earlier about the solst go that's four G LTE, why is it not five G because half of the world, I mean, that thing works in like one hundred and twenty countries. When it comes to internet connections, there are some companies just getting off of three G. You've got to realize not everybody is technologically advanced as are England and Europe. You know, there's a whole world out there. In the way we have first World and second and third world. We have the same as far as technology Elogy exactly. So for international travel, a four G which is backwardly compatible from five G, will be the best choice for you. If you have a five G and there's no five G signal.
Speaker 6: That can happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, most of the phones now I think will drop to four G.
Speaker 5: Though they will, they will. I noticed it at all, but most have been sitting right out there. I said, Oh, I have LTE.
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: What happens? I said, And LTE used to be you know the thing.
Speaker 5: But anyway, it uses existing nineteen one hundred MEGAHERTZE cellular frequency bands, which is LTE band twenty five and four G transmission standards. Initially, it'll be just text messages and location information so you know, if you fall down a mountain you can use it. Eventually it will include voice calls, texts and images and data support for some applications. For T Mobile customers not on the plan fifteen dollars a month after the beta ends at and T and Verizon customers twenty dollars a month after the free beta ends, and early adopters ten dollars a month during the beta.
Speaker 4: But this could be game changing, especially if you live in a more remote area.
Speaker 5: Exactly exactly, we live in a city. I was in Texas. I was in Midland, Texas. Talk about Billy Bob Thharton and.
Speaker 3: This is I'm sorry. Landman was one of my favorite series.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you it was so accurate because I have been to Midland. My husband is from Midland. I know Midland that they to a tee and they got it right. I hope the world understands the people of Midland that you know. I heard people talk about, you know, how little money they must make. Are you kidding me? Someone who was in Dale position in Dale, he's the guy who the third guy who lives in the house, not the lawyer. He's making two hundred and some thousand dollars. Yeah, he was just one of the guys on the line. I'll call her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And Billy Bob Thornton until he got moved to president, he was making over three hundred and seventy five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: But a lot of stress and danger.
Speaker 6: Well danger is the name for a lot of people. They thrive on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I wanted to be a air traffic controller when I was a kid.
Speaker 6: I just didn't know where to go.
Speaker 3: Thanks to the Internet, now you know how to do it.
Speaker 5: It's not too late, it's too late, Okay, I don't think my heart could take it.
Speaker 4: Any Yeah, that's a whole difference conversation have Marshall Callyer. It's always great to see. Thank you for all your tech wisdom and insight.
Speaker 6: But we're gonna have fun next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't turn us down next week, imise not.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI a M six forty