Speaker 1: In the early two thousands, a successful research scientist in New York appeared to be living a stable, well ordered life with a strong career and respected place in her field. Privately, however, she was maintaining a secret relationship and carefully managing a web of lies that few people around her suspected. And then, when a woman connected to an affair she was having was found stabbed to death in her apartment, police had no reason to look her direction, and months later, a disturbing incident inside her own home forced investigators to re examine everything they thought they knew. This is the story of the master manipulator known as Sheila Davalu.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: Warning the following material in more mature audience. Listener discretion. Don't get mad at me. But this is part one of a two parter episode.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. I don't think it was planned to be a two parter, but it wasn't. It's a lot going on, right, There's a lot.
Speaker 1: In this story, so yeah, it soon became a two parter. And I know we just recently did a two parter, but I'm sorry it's happening again. And trust me, though, it is worthwhile for this story to go deep and make it a two parter, because gosh darn, there is a lot to it.
Speaker 2: Gosh dang, gosh diddaly dang it.
Speaker 1: I wanted to swear like a sailor there, but I held back.
Speaker 2: Could you tell, Bob, I did actually tell a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is definitely an interesting story and I'm stoked to get into it. But before we do get into it, we got to do a big old thank you for everyone out there who chimed in, commented, and messaged us regarding our new opening that we've been trying out on the show. We asked for your feedback and we heard you. We had conversations on Patreon, we got messages, all that sort of stuff. We read them. We went over it, and there's a bit of repetitive repetitiveness. There's a bit of giving away of the story in this intro a little bit too long. So we've tried to condense it and bring it down to something that's really more setting the scene, bringing you into what it's going to be like leading up to the story, rather than giving anything away. So we had people who said that they really like it as well. So we're trying to find this this best of boatword balance a balance that's a good way of putting it. Yeah, So in today's episode, we're trying out the new set the tone, set the scene, kind of opening, set the mood.
Speaker 2: It is pretty cool though that you know we need help or want feedback or opinions on something, and how many people did take the time to do that, so, which is awesome because that only helps make the show better and something you want to listen to.
Speaker 1: Well. Yeah, so we're growing Wicketing Grim together and we're turning it into a show that you guys can enjoy a little bit more. So, thank you for that feedback. I have kind of set the tone a little bit before in previous episodes all throughout the last five years of Wicketing Grim, but I think I kind of want to make it. I think that's what I'm trying to lead into, is I'm trying to bring that into something that's more prevalent in the show, really setting that tone, bringing you into the story. And I think I was just going about it the wrong way and I think you guys got me on track.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean, you got to experiment with stuff, right and for sure see how it feels, and then you're going to know what you want to do.
Speaker 1: So but I'm confident I nailed it on this.
Speaker 2: One, Okay, are you? I am that confident.
Speaker 1: I'm that confident because I talk about the stuff like the dynamics of the story without giving anything away.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: And I also don't really get repetitive, so I'll just let you judge for yourself. Okay, Okay, should I get into it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to hear it.
Speaker 1: So for many young professionals, life follows a very familiar rhythm, very long workdays, crowded commutes, and evenings spent trying to balance ambition and a personal life. Offices, for example, can become second homes. Coworkers turn into friends, and sometimes they even become more than that. Spending so much time together, well, it can blur boundaries. People share lunches, frustrations, private worries, and late nights. Friendships form quickly in gossips will they spread even faster, and even small disagreements can turn into workplace drama. Romantic connections can even appear in places no one expects, and for many couples, well, this environment can create a lot of strain partners well, they learned to live on opposite schedules and conversations or even life moments can get postponed. Problems get pushed aside for the favor of dealing with it later. It creates a sort of distance, but that doesn't always mean physical separation. Sometimes it means two people living under the same roof while drifting further apart emotionally. Still, despite this, people make it work, and most lives they remain stable, good jobs, a place to call home, social circles, and weekend plans. But for some people beneath that surface, tensions can grow. In offices and apartment complexes around southern New York and Connecticut, relationships were quietly and raveling like this in two thousand and two. Long work hours and close working relationships had created an environment where professional boundaries were beginning to be crossed and secrets were being kept. What no one understood, though, was that in this case, things were building towards something that would end in serious violence, betrayal, and even murder. Dun, Dun, Dun, there we go. That's my opening.
Speaker 2: That was literally what just went through my head dunt dun dun. So.
Speaker 1: I hope I didn't give too much away, and I hope I hooked you with just enough information to make you feel like you can almost relate, you can picture it. And with that we're going to get into the actual story.
Speaker 2: You ready, Yeah, I am. I feel very ready right now, to be honest, Okay, more so than usual, I'm glad.
Speaker 1: Sheila was born on May eleventh, nineteen sixty nine, in Iran, during a period of very very much so political instability that would soon erupt into full scale revolution. Now in the late nineteen seventies, as Iranian revolution intensified and daily life became increasingly dangerous, her family made the decision to leave the country. Like many fleeing the turmoil, they immigrated to the United States in search of safety and stability. They eventually settled into Yorktown Heights, a quiet, affluent suburb of Westchester County, New York. Her parents were medical and health professionals, and education was treated as a non negotiable in their household. Academic achievement was not exactly encouraged. In fact, it was more so expected, so from an early age, Sheila was pushed towards excellence, discipline, and measurable success. Now, as such, mistakes were not exactly easily forgiven. Emotional vulnerability was something that was not openly discussed, and to put it simple, what mattered most was performance, good grades, strong credentials, and a respectable public image to go with it. Friends described her upbringing as very strict and highly structured, with little tolerance for any sort of failure. Sheila learned early how to present herself as being capable, reliable, and composed even when she was struggling internally, which over time this became second nature. One of the most significant influences in her personal life was her younger brother. Now. Her younger brother had suffered from very severe mental illnesses, including schizophrenia. His condition required constant attention from the family, and Sheila became deeply protective of him. She often framed herself as his emotional anchor and caretaker. Now, according to people close to her, Sheila was genuinely concerned about her brother and how he might react to major changes in her life. She worried that he would feel abandoned if he believed she was forming attachments that did not include him, for example, and this fear, whether real exaggerated or strategically used, became a very central part of how she explained her actions to other people now throughout her adolescence. In early adulthood, Sheila was known as quiet and studious who was also not a heavy drinker. She did not party or draw attention to herself socially. Instead, she focused almost entirely on school and career preparations. She spoke multiple languages, she excelled academically, and she followed the path that her family had laid out for her. Her life was very stable and impressive, but what almost no one saw was how carefully she managed information about herself. From an early stage, Sheila learned to decide what people were allowed to know and what they were not allowed to know. Personal details were filtered, stories were adjusted, and inconvenient truths were well they were quietly erased or swept under the rug, and over time, this habit of controlling perception would become very central to how she would navigate people in the world around her.
Speaker 2: She sounds quite interesting, but she almost sounds like I guess she was slightly groomed for this too.
Speaker 1: Writ She was definitely groomed in a certain sense of that word. Her parents put her in very high standards for success.
Speaker 2: For education, but I mean they were both very successful themselves, so I can kind of understand them having you know, a little bit of high expectations for her as well, because she has that opportunity. But then also it doesn't sound like it was the most warm of upbringings exactly.
Speaker 1: Having high standards or high expectations is one thing, because you can go beyond healthy in that regard, and I think with that they definitely did, because in this case, you're going to really as we talk about it, you're going to find out that Sheila was clearly craving more. Maybe it's because of how her upbringing was and how her parents treated her. Maybe she didn't get attention or anything, but when she received attention from people, that became the biggest focus, something that she honed in on and even fixated on.
Speaker 2: Well, she probably only received the attention after, like she got a good grade or did something right, And so with her just being herself, I bet you that didn't get her the attention that she wanted, right, she had to earn it in a sense.
Speaker 1: That's true, But I have a feeling there's a potential of if she got a good grade, it may not have even been necessarily praised. If that's the expectation, that's just simply standard. We expected that of you. It's not We're not going to like celebrate it because that's just Hey, you're supposed to do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is a that's that's hard, that's that doesn't feel very good.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know that for sure. That's my perspective on what I've been reading about it, that that could likely be the situation. But either way, she definitely craved affection, attention, and that sort of thing relationships, I guess.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, by the time that Sheila entered adulthood, her future was already well basically mapped out. Following the expectations set out by her parents, she pursued higher education with rather relentless focus. She enrolled at Stonybrook University in New York, where she studied biochemistry, which is a very demanding field and it requires a lot of long hours, discipline, and technical precision, to say the least. But she was prepared and she performed very well, earning respect from professors and peers alike. After completing her undergraduate degree, Sheila continued directly into graduate school. She attended New York Medical College, where she worked towards a master's degree in public health. The program placed her along other high achieving students who were preparing for careers in medicine, pharmaceutical research, and even scientific and administration, but once again, she still stood out as very capable and driven. During this period, however, her personal life began to take its first complicated turn. Not long after finishing high school, and under strong cultural and family expectations, Sheila entered her first marriage. The relationship was arranged through traditional channels, and although some accounts differ on how the formal arrangement was, it was widely understood that family pressure played a major role in it. So she married a man by the name of Farid Mussafi while she was still very young. To people she knew, the marriage looked appropriate and very respectable. They were two educated young people from similar backgrounds building a life together, but privately the relationship it lacked a lot of emotional depth. Sheila was immersed in her studies and Forarid, while he focused on his own career too. They functioned more like roommates really than romantic partners. In reality, now During this time, Sheila began developing close relationships outside of her marriage. During her time at New York Medical College, she met Paul Christos, another graduate student who was deeply involved in academic research. At first, their connection revolved around school. Paul ran a private study group to help cover his tuition, and Sheila had joined in on it. They spent hours working together reviewing material and prepared for exams, and over time though the relationship it shifted. Conversations extended beyond just coursework. Study sessions turned into long walks in late night talks emotional intimacy. While it developed quietly, and eventually that relationship crossed into being a full on affair. When Farid discovered Sheila's involvement with Paul, the marriage quickly unraveled. The scandal created tension within her family, who had very high expectations on maintaining appearances and honoring commitments. But not only that, divorce carried a cultural consequence too. It was viewed as a failure and even an embarrassment. But despite all of this, Sheila chose to leave the marriage and continue her relationship with Paul. This divorce marked a very huge turning point in her life. For the first time, she openly defied expectations. Yet even then she worked carefully to manage how the situation was perceived. She didn't present herself as reckless or impulsive. Instead, she framed the breakup as unfortunate but completely necessary.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking that this was probably the first thing that she sort of did for herself in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in a sense you could say it's quote unquote like rebelling for the first time, right.
Speaker 2: Because her husband she didn't even have full control of choosing him. No, Okay, I just wanted to clarify that.
Speaker 1: Now, Again, there is some like gray areas and how that is all set up. It is a very culturally thing or cultural thing. So I'm unaware on the exact parameters on how this you know, prepared marriage was. But yeah, it was not fully her call.
Speaker 2: And this other man she met, you know, through her own means, and they had maybe more similar interests, and we're spending a lot of time together, and so I can kind of see how this went about, not saying it it's right in any way, but that's true.
Speaker 1: But the bones of the situation remained the same. She had entered a relationship still while committed to someone else while married. Yes, she also concealed the two relationships she had navigated, basically living two lives at once, and she walked away without fully confronting the emotional fallout and responsibility of what she'd done. She had an affair, and she's essentially saying, yeah, well this had to happen.
Speaker 2: So really not right at all exactly, So.
Speaker 1: She's manipulating the situation to make it look like it was necessary, it had to happen. She's doing something for herself for the first time, but in the reality is, well, you're still kind of a bitch.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because her husband just like, I mean, look at what he has to deal with now, right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And not only that, but the person that you're seeing, they had no idea about you being married either.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, so not good at all now.
Speaker 1: Paul he was not someone who easily fit into dramatic storylines. He was quiet, methodical, and he was deeply committed to his work. He was raised in a very close knit Greek American family in New York. Paul had grown up in a household that valued very similar things as Sheila, you know, education, discipline, and long term planning. Were all very important, and from an early age he'd been focused on building a very serious career in science and medicine. But by the time that he met Sheila, Paul was already well on his way. He had earned multiple college degrees and was studying at New York Medical College, working towards advanced qualifications in epidemiology and medical research. His days were filled with lectures, lab work, and teaching responsibilities. He supported himself partly by you know, leading those private group studies for other students, helping them prepare for exams while earning that extra income to pay tuition. And it was of course through these where he met you know, Sheila for the very first time. But Paul was drawn to Shila's intelligence and confidence, and to him, she presented stability and compatibility. The time, Paul was largely unaware of the complications she had in her personal life. He knew she was going through a divorce now at this point, but he didn't push for details. He wasn't aware that the relationship had actually developed while she was married, and that their relationship kind of pushed for that divorce. He wasn't suspicious by nature. He took her for her word that Oh, like, you're going through a divorce and that's kind of how it's always been.
Speaker 2: Okay, So he is not aware that the divorce is basically because of their relationship. No.
Speaker 1: So he's a very stable individual. He's going through all this sort of stuff like building his life, building his education, building his future career, and he finds someone he thinks is just Hey, they're going through a divorce and they're building a connection together. He had no idea of all this underlying issues.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, well, yeah, he sounds kind of incredible, like very motivated, very intelligent. Yes he is, and he's wanting a partner to match that, but has no idea what exactly she's all about. I guess.
Speaker 1: So he is falling for someone, and quite literally because he soon fell in love with her where he doesn't actually know who she is right at least to a degree. Now. Soon they got engaged with the approval of both families, and so in May of two thousand, they were married in a small, carefully planned ceremony attended by close friends and relatives. Sheila's parents helped provide the couple with a condo in Pleasantville, New York, which gave them a very solid foundation for married life. Two highly educated professionals with strong family ties, good careers, and a comfortable home. What they had was essentially picture perfect.
Speaker 2: Okay, So her family was alright with this, though, I mean, I think they moved on to it.
Speaker 1: They moved on to it, at least they approved of the marriage. Yes, Okay, So I mean I don't think they had really much of a choice. She was going through a divorce, Like, what do you do. It's either abandon your child and you are no longer part of this family because like dishonorment or she's moving on. She found someone else. Okay, we approve of this.
Speaker 2: Guy, right, I mean, and he is a good guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what do you do in that situation?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Now? After the wedding, Paul devoted himself even more fully to his studies. He enrolled in a doctoral program at Columbia University. He taught undergraduate classes several nights a week and spent long hours working on many research projects in clinical trials. Sheila, while she did the same and focused on her growing career in pharmaceutical research. Their schedules were very demanding and they were often exhausted. The two told themselves that This was simply what ambitious young professionals need to endure. They believe that once their careers stabilized, they would have more time for each other, and in the meantime, they focused on maintaining appearances and supporting each other's goals for a future where well the hard years would eventually pay off. But slowly the emotional space between them widened. They talked less about personal matters and more about logistics. Conversation centered on schedules, on errands, and work stress, rather than feelings or long term plans. Like most couples do, shared routines disappeared, meals were often eaten alone, and even when they were in the same room, they were frequently distracted by emails, paperwork, or fatigue. Sheila even began spending more time socializing with colleagues after work. She joined a volleyball league and attended regular happy hour evenings near the office, sort of thing. When they were together, she would just talk about work. She described internal politics, rivalries, promotions, and conflicts between employees, and Paul listened patiently. He enjoyed hearing about her work, as it was really the only thing they actually connected with anymore. Their marriage, of course, had begun to feel increasingly hollow, though, but Paul still remained committed to it. He believed in patience and in loyalty. He assumed that hard work and time would resolve whatever strain it existed. He never seen questioned Sheila's loyalty your intentions. In his mind, they were still partners working toward share goals. Sheila, on the other hand, well, she was growing restless. Throughout her life. Sheila had been driven by validation, control, and emotional intensity. Professional success alone was never enough for her. She needed attention, she needed reassurance, and she needed to feel a central of like to be central of someone's life. I guess growing up her parents focused on her right, focused on her achievements, focused on her succeeding, and that sort of focus it became a craving. And then it also coupled with, you know, having someone pay attention to her outside of just being successful also become a craving. So it kind of compiled.
Speaker 2: What you were describing though, as their marriage kind of now, I think it's pretty common that that sort of thing happens.
Speaker 1: It does, right, it does, unfortunately, But yeah, like their marriage, it was just quiet and distant and I mean they were no longer being like really met with each other, I guess, and it is sorry, go.
Speaker 2: Ahead, Well, they weren't really making the time to just be together and do fun things together because like you said, she was going and hanging out with coworkers or she joined volleyball, and at that time they could have been doing maybe things together and that would have sort of helped.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. And people do drift apart, like that's understandable, but for them, they knew they were drifting apart. But the label that was being put on it was just, well, we'll get there one day. Right now, we have to continue our studies.
Speaker 2: It will get better, it will.
Speaker 1: Get better, but it it'll get better one day, not we'll make it better now. It was sometime in two thousand and one, while working at Purdue Pharma in Stamford, that Sheila met Nelson Nelson Sessler, now, like Shila and Paul, Nelson was highly educated and profess driven. He worked as a research scientist within the company and was involved in pharmaceutical development and clinical research. He was intelligent, well spoken, and respected by colleagues. In many ways, he fit the very same professional mold that Sheila and Paul had you know, ambitious discipline focused on building that successful career. Now, Sheila and Nelson began interacting through work related projects, you know, meetings or shared office spaces, that sort of thing. They spoke about assignments or deadlines, workplace issues, and overtime. Not unlike Sheila had done in the past, those interactions became more personal. They started spending longer periods of time together, talking after meetings and exchanging emails and messages that went beyond professional matters. They began joining the same after work gatherings too, and finding excuses even to cross paths during the day. For Sheila, this attention was intoxicating. At home, her marriage had settled. Paul was supportive, but distant. He was consumed by research teaching. He trusted her completely and rarely questioned where she went or who she spent time with. With Nelson, however, Sheila felt seen again. He listened closely to her. He complimented her intelligence and ambition. He gave her the emotional focus that she seemed to be missing. What began as flirtation soon turned into private lunches, into long phone calls and even secret meetings. By the summer of two thousand and one, Sheila and Nelson were in a full blown affair, and they arranged of schedules to spend time alone with each other, often during work hours or even after office events. Now, this affair became intense, and Sheila grew deeply attached to him in a very short period of time. And at the center of this relationship was a very critical deception. Nelson didn't know Sheila was married.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask that she should not be married.
Speaker 1: No, she shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Is he also married?
Speaker 1: We'll get into.
Speaker 2: It, ah, Okay.
Speaker 1: She never told them about Paul, and she carefully avoided situations where the two men might cross paths. This pattern, of course, wasn't something new to her. She'd done this very sort of similar thing when she met Paul while she was still married with her first husband. Now Sheila had developed a system for keeping her husband Paul, and her boyfriend Nelson completely separate from each other. This system depended on a lie that she repeated so often it became routine, and she repeated it even when she was young and a kid that her mentally ill brother was coming to stay with her. Now, Sheila told Paul that her brother suffered from serious mental health problems and would become upset or even unstable if he knew she was married. So because of this, she claimed, it was essential that Paul not be present whenever her brother visited. So when these supposed visiteds were scheduled, Paul was expected to leave their condo in time. And I mean full on leave, like pack an overnight bag, stay away for an entire weekend, even remove every visible trace of himself from the apartment. I'm talking clothes, toiletries, personal items, photos, PaperWorks. All of it were packed away.
Speaker 2: I don't like that.
Speaker 1: No, anything that suggested that she was married had to be hidden.
Speaker 2: How could anyone not question that? I can't even vathom doing that to you. You would just be like, hell.
Speaker 1: No, Well, Paul thinks he's being supportive. Oh, I guess you look seriously uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I am very uncomfortable with this because I I don't know. I can understand it, I guess, But it also doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: So I'm just she's a seriously manipulative person. So she's making it seem like, Okay, Paul, you have to do this for my mentally ill or what. However, you want to frame it brother, who I'm very supportive of, he's very close in my life. You cannot meet him because he will go into an episode. Will you cannot be here, I can't be married because he will see you as a threat, So you and every trace has to leave. And as a supportive husband, he's saying, no problem, I support you and your brother. I'm here for you. I will do what you need.
Speaker 2: Okay, But really the brother is the brother would probably be fine with her.
Speaker 1: Being married, not necessarily. Now, she did have she used as as an excuse when she was younger, in like dating or other people, you know, an excuse of going out or people coming over over, whatever it was. She used it as an excuse. Whether she was actually believing that or whether she was making it up, we don't really know, but one way or another, this is a situation that she actually used as an excuse. I don't know if her brother would have actually been okay with it. But the part is though her brother actually wasn't coming over, which I'm sure you already are put two and two.
Speaker 2: Together, yes, which I think is why I'm also very uncomfortable right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she was simply using this as an excuse for now. These visits with her brother, quote unquote happened very regularly. According to later court records and testimony, they occurred at least once a month, and sometimes more often. What Paul didn't know, of course, during these periods is Sheila was inviting Nelson to stay at the apartment, and because all signs of Paul's presence was gone and removed, Nelson believed Sheila lived alone and was single. Now was months past. Sheila's emotional investment in Nelson only grew stronger. She began to see him less as an affair partner and more as a person that she truly wanted to be with. Her attachment became very intense and even possessive. She monitored his movement, She worried about his attention drifting, and she became anxious when he seemed distracted or even unavailable. Her whole sense of self worth became increasingly tied to his feelings toward her. And now at the same time, Nelson was hiding something of his own because he was in a long term relationship with another woman. As you kind of already asked, he wasn't married, but he was in a relationship with someone named Analisa Rimando.
Speaker 2: Just two winners right now.
Speaker 1: He had been dating Analisa before becoming involved with Sheila, and had continued seeing her too now. Like Sheila, he kept the two relationships separate and avoided revealing the truth of either woman. For a time. All three people existed inside this overlapping kind of love triangle of lies, but it's fragile structure. It wasn't something that could last. While Sheila was using her brother visits quote unquote lie to physically separate Paul and Nelson, she was also managing the emotional side of her double life through a second, more subtle form of manipulation. Created an ongoing story about a supposed love triangle at work, and used it in a way to talk openly about her affair with her husband Paul without him realizing the truth. She frequently spoke about three coworkers, Melissa, Jack, and Anna Lisa in these three three you know stories of these people. Melissa was a close friend of hers who was romantically involved with Jack, while Jack was also interested in another woman named Ana Lisa. Sheila presented this as workplace drama that she had become you know emotionally invested in she's watching from the outside. She described arguments, jealousy, confusion, the shifting loyalties between three people sort of thing, all those things that we see in a love triangle. She's describing this to Paul. And what Paul didn't know was that this Melissa was actually Sheila herself, and Jack was Nelson, and Analisa was well Anna Lisa Romando. Now, the supposed love triangle she discussed almost daily was not about coworkers. It was her own relationship, and she used this story to involve Paul in her private emotional conflicts. She asked him for advice about what should Melissa do. She described conversations and interactions that she'd actually experienced herself, but framed them as secondhand information trying to get, you know what, an opinion from her husband.
Speaker 2: This is really disturbing. How could she be doing this to her husband? I know that is so cruel.
Speaker 1: And Paul seems like the most genuine, nice dude I've ever heard of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you also wonder how could he not how could he not be? Like, how does she know so much about this? Because she probably knows a lot, right, and if she was just watching this from the outside, would she know this much about all the situations and scenarios.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's Melissa's telling her, is what she's saying. Her friend, Melissa is telling her all this information, and so she's seeing it. She's also getting inside and from her. But really she is Melissa Ah, so disturbing. So she's just like, well, Melissa told me this, But it's like, no, bitch, you live that you that was you.
Speaker 2: You would love this though. You're You're all about gossip, So if I was coming home with this kind of tea, you would be all for it.
Speaker 1: I think I'm a bit of a gossip queen. I'm not gonna lie. I don't like I don't like, you know, the celebrity gossip and stuff. I don't give a shit about that. But I do like personal life, real life gossip, even if it's like person I don't know, but it's like it's happening in the town of Oh, this is so and So's friend, and I'm like, oh, tell me about so and So's friend. How much of a bit she is? You know, I eat that shit up.
Speaker 2: Would you question this at all? Then? Do you think at some point would you start to question this.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely, yeah, definitely, I'm not that dumb.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying you're dumb.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I digress now, when Nelson pulled away, when he seemed distant, when he grew closer to Anna Lisa, Sheila would present these developments through these you know, fictional character lens of the workplace friends, and Paul listened and offered guidance, trying to engage in his wife's life and help some of her friends along the way. He encouraged her to be patient, you know, suggested communication and tried to be reasonable. But in doing so, he's unknowingly helped Sheila process her own jealousy, frustration, and affair. Now. As time passed, the stories became more detailed and more intense. Sheila spoke about Melissa spying on an Lisa. She claimed they followed her movements, and she mentioned listening to voicemails, watching her schedule, and showing up unexpectedly in places that Analsa frequented. She even told Paul that Melissa wanted to break into Annalisa's apartment to look for photographs. Her life increasingly revolved around monitoring Nelson's relationship with Annalisa. Meanwhile, Analisa still had no idea what she was, you know, being portrayed as or being at the center of some sort of love triangle or anything. She simply worked at pharmaceutical research place, and she built a very strong professional reputation. Colleagues described her as intelligent, reliable, focused on her career. She'd worked at Purdue Pharma for several years before later accepting a position at Pharmacia in New Jersey. Even after changing companies, she continued working remotely from her condo in Stamford, Connecticut, which allowed her to remain close to Nelson. Unlike Sheila, who concealed major parts of her life, Annalisa was generally very transparent about her relationship. She introduced Nelson to people in her life and treated him as a very serious partner rather than a casual companion, and she wasn't seeing anyone else in the side. Nelson was her only boyfriend to say, and Annalisa's job became more flexible too, so her time together with Nelson only increased. Nelson's relationship with Annalisa well. It started to develop quickly. They spent most nights together, traveling on weekends, began discussing long term plans. Even this shift marked another turning point for Sheila, because Nelson was no longer dividing his attention between the two women, between Analisa and her. He was choosing Analisa. So through workplace gossip and her own surveillance efforts, Sheila gradually pieced together the reality of the relationship. She learned where Annalisa lived, She learned her schedule, She learned when Nelson stayed overnight. Although saying she was describing to her husband Paul that Melissa was doing, that's the sort of thing, she was actually going and doing, And rather than accepting the new reality, Sheila became increasingly focused on Annalisa herself. She followed her movements and monitored when Nelson visited. She paid attention to her work schedule. She learned that Annalisa often worked from home alone and spent long stretches in her condo during the day.
Speaker 2: She's basically becoming a stalker.
Speaker 1: She is becoming a stalker. By late two thousand and two, she wasn't competing for Nelson's attention. She was studying Analisa's life as if she was a threat, and, like you said, already stalking her. She knew her routines, habits, vulnerabilities. Analisa represented everything Sheila felt she was losing. She was the woman Nelson had chosen. She was the barrier between Sheila and the future that she wanted. Sheila began accessing Nelson's voicemails. She was going farther this time. She's obtaining passwords allowing her to listen to private messages between him and Alisa. Though these recordings and through it all, she learned about their schedules, travel plans, personal conversations, and she even forwarded some of the messages to herself and replayed them repeatedly, listening and searching for signs of weakness or uncertainty in the relationship. Using this information, Sheila started engineering coincidental encounters. She should appear at places where Nelson and Analisa were scheduled to be, pretending the meetings were accidental. On at least one occasion, she arranged to sit next to Nelson on a flight after learning his travel plans.
Speaker 2: Even, Oh, that is so creepy, how is she even doing this?
Speaker 1: Pure stalking now? These encounters were designed to remind him of her presence while avoiding any sort of suspicion that she could.
Speaker 2: But are they still together at this point too?
Speaker 1: Not really no.
Speaker 2: Okay, but she's still just there reminding him all the time that she yes, is a present life or whatever.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Now, I don't think they were ever necessarily like a relationship partner wise. I think it was more just like a casual thing and like, you know, flirting, and you know, the sex was becoming a thing, and that was building, and then as it's building and hey, it might actually start into something real and serious, then it starts dropping. As Analisa and Nelson's relationship starts building and actually builds to the point where they're in a legitimate relationship. So now he's dropping Sheila because he's in an actual relationship.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, but still a terrible person really, Oh yeah, Because I don't think Anna Lisa would have approved of what was all going on here.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I don't think he was dating to women, but he was definitely seen to women, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: So maybe me as far as my understanding, okay, I mean, maybe he wasn't doing anything wrong If they were open to seeing other people at the time, who knows.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying they were or they weren't okay. So, But the thing is, though, Sheila was going to extreme lengths to try and put herself into his life, to remind him, and to even monitor because like she would even borrow night vision binoculars and electronic listening equipment from her husband Paul, claiming they were for a coworker who wanted to monitor a cheating partner.
Speaker 2: Wow, she has way too much time I'm on her hands.
Speaker 1: She does. She even purchased lock picking tools, stun guns, and again, you know, presenting them as items meant for Melissa or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Right, girl, you need a hobby.
Speaker 1: She does. Now. Paul was getting uncomfortable with some of these things, but as always, he was very trusting in his wife. Despite all these efforts, though, Nelson continued to distance himself, and by mid two thousand and two, he was spending most nights with Anna Lisa and limiting contact with Sheila altogether. Their conversations became shorter, he stopped responding as quickly as he did before, he declined invitations from and from Sheila's perspective, her influence over him was slipping away.
Speaker 2: I honestly think Sheila's influence over Nelson was pretty much gone at this point. It basically was, you're right, and I think her husband, Paul is a freaking saint.
Speaker 1: He is, like I said, he's like the nicest guy I've ever read about, just the.
Speaker 2: Fact he's just trusting her, like to this point still.
Speaker 1: Well, and not only that, he is grinding to build the life that they want, and through it all he's trusting her. And the only connection he has with her is talking about work and the drama at her work. Oh so he's involving himself so that they can have some time together. It hurts my heart, I know, right, like he is like I want to marry Paul, Oh my god, like seriously, like he would treat me good. I know he would.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say that, but I thought that would be weird if I said that. But yeah, he seems like the perfect husband in a sense.
Speaker 1: He does, he really does.
Speaker 2: Probably doesn't give a shit about this gossip, but like it's important to her, so he is trying to help and listen and he probably has other things on his fucking mind that is way more important than this, but he's still being present to her.
Speaker 1: Exactly now. By the fall of two thousand and two, Nelson's commitment to a Lisa was very clear to her. He was no longer you're balancing to relationships. He had made a choice, and for most people that would generally be the end of a situation. But for Sheila, she no longer viewed Nelson's withdrawal as a personal rejection. She instead interpreted it as something different, that Anna Elisa had caused all this. In her mind, the problem was not Nelson had chosen someone else. The problem was Anna Lisa existed. On the morning of Friday, November eighth, two thousand and two, Sheila followed her usual routine. She arrived at Purdue Pharma Stamford in Connecticut in the office shortly after eight am, swiping her security badge at eighth nine am, and settling into her workplace. Just want to say, I'm pretty sure that she's nine minutes late for work.
Speaker 2: But whatever, Okay, I was wondering, I'm like, or does she start at eight thirty?
Speaker 1: She's probably nine minutes late for work.
Speaker 2: Hopefully she's got a lot going on this gal, right.
Speaker 1: So I mean, why does she have time for work? But I digress. She attended her responsibilities and interacted with colleagues as she typically dead. But at ten fifty three am, she swiped your badge again and left the building. Security records later showed that she did not return until one fifty three PM, a three hour absence that would eventually become very central to this investigation. Now. At the time, extended lunch breaks were not exactly unusual, especially for her, and no one immediately questioned it. Very flexible office, apparently, but this wasn't a typical long lunch, you see. After leaving work, she drove approximately ten minutes to Harbor Drive condo complex overlooking Long Island Sound, where Annalisa lived in Unit one oh five. Annalisa was working at home that day. She was alone in her apartment, dressed in casual jeans and a white sweater, and she had no reason to expect any visitors. When Sheila arrived at the complex, she parked her car and walked up to the exterior stairs and towards Annalisa's home. According to later reconstructuctions, she carried with her a five inch long blade in her pocket, a knife. When she reached the door, she knocked and called out in a friendly voice, identifying herself as a former coworker from Purdue. Anealisa recognized her and responded, telling her to hold on a minute while she comes over and opens the door. What happened next unfolded rapidly and extremely violently inside the apartment. Once the door was opened, a confrontation began almost immediately. Evidence collected at the scene showed that the two women moved through multiple rooms during a struggle. Furniture was overturned, plants were knocked over, and objects were scattered across the floor. There was broken glass, dirt, leaves spilt from planters, and they were all mixed with a large amount of blood that was everywhere, indicating that Analisa fought desperately to try and defend herself. The attack was brutal. An Lisa was stabbed at least nine times in the face, neck, chest, and upper body. One wound was so deep that the blade penetrated right through her chest and into her lung. In addition to the stab wounds, she suffered blunt force injuries as well, suggesting she'd been struck or at least thrown hard against surfaces during the struggle. Blood splatter covered the walls, hallway, and floor, forming pools and streaks that traced the path of the fight through the apartment. The volume and distribution of blood alone told a story, and it indicated that Annalisa remained conscious for a period of time as she fought back and attempted to escape, before finally succumbing to her injuries. At some point during the attack, Annalisa collapsed in the hallway, and that is where Sheila left her to lay bleeding. She was found lying on her back with one leg extended and the other bent up against a box, and her clothing soaked through with crimson blood.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, this poor thing.
Speaker 1: Paramedics later confirmed that she had lost a massive amount of blood and had not died quickly.
Speaker 2: Oh no, and she really has done absolutely fucking nothing nothing. Oh, Sheila is a crazy bitch.
Speaker 1: Yeah she is now. After killing Anealisa, Sheila did an attempt to clean the apartment of the crime scene. Instead, she went to the bathroom leaned against the sink, trying to compose herself as she looked at herself in the mirror, and while there, she wiped blood from her face and her hands, But unbeknownst to her, she sustained a small cut on her hand and a tiny drop of her blood found its way onto the faucet handles. This tiny drop of blood would later become the most important piece of forensic evidence in the case. Now from there, she then put on her coat, wrapped it tightly around herself and concealed the bloodstains on her clothing and left the apartment. She returned to her car and drove to a nearby restaurant where there was a public payphone. She placed an anonymous call here to nine one one, using a dressed tone. She told the despatcher that she believed someone was attacking her neighbor in apartment one oh five, and of course she didn't give her name and hung up quickly after providing the address. Police officers were already patrolling the area nearby and arrived to the complex within minutes, and when they knocked and received no answer at Annalisa's door, they found it was unlocked and entered cautiously and inside they saw the bloody scene and discovered Annalisa's body in the hallway and immediately called for medical assistance and back up. Emergency responders soon arrived and confirmed that Annalisa was dead on the scene. Meanwhile, Sheila drove back to New York and returned to Purdue Pharma at one fifty three pm. She swiped her badge and re entered the building, resuming her work day as though nothing had happened at all.
Speaker 2: She just went back to work.
Speaker 1: She just went back to work.
Speaker 2: And did she not think that that would have been questionable though? That she was just gone that whole.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I guess, not okay, not okay.
Speaker 2: So she actually isn't quite as smart as I thought.
Speaker 1: Then she's manipulative, but that doesn't translate into intelligence, and she's book smart, which doesn't translate into what people call street smart. That evening, after Sheila had killed Annalisa, Sheila went home to Pleasantville and spent a quiet night with her husband Paul. When a coworker later called to inform her that Anna Lisa had been murdered, well, she reacted with apparent shock and expressed very fake ass sympathy, offering no indication that she'd been involved whatsoever. At that point, no one connected her to the crime. The anonymous nine one one call. The lack of forced entry, the absence of any sort of obvious suspect left investigators with very few immediate leads, But in the hours following Annalise's murder, detectives from the Stamford Police Department and the Connecticut State Police Major Crime Unit. They began working to try and reconstruct what had happened inside Unit one of five and find who was responsible. From the onset, the scene suggested an intensely personal attack rather than a random act of violence. There was no sign of forced entry, no indication of theft, and no evidence of the killer had even attempted to conceal the crime in any shape or form. Instead, the apartment showed very clear signs of a prolonged physical struggle, with overturned furniture, shattered glass, and blood spread throughout multiple rooms. Investigators focused first on establishing a timeline. The anonymous nine one one call had come in during the early afternoon reporting the assault in progress right so officers arrived quickly and found Ane Lisa already des ceased. Medical examiners later estimated that she had died not long before police entered the apartment, so this placed the time of the death within a very narrow window, late in the morning early afternoon and consistent with when neighbors reported hearing unusual noises and security footage showing limited activity in the building. Attention, of course, quickly turned into a direction that every typical murder does to the significant other. To Analisa's fiance Nelson Cessler fiance. Yes, by this point they were discussing marriage and they had gotten engaged. Okay now, His clothing, toilet trees, and personal belongings were found throughout the apartment and indicating he stayed there quite regularly, and friends and coworkers confirmed that the couple had been very serious and as I mentioned, discussing marriage. When police located Nelson, he cooperated with questioning fully and denied any involvement. He told investigators that he'd been at work throughout the day and had not visited Anne Lise's apartment. He also stated that to his knowledge, she had not been having conflicts with any anyone and that he couldn't think of anyone who'd want to harm her. However, officers noted that he seemed a little guarded and that he didn't volunteer much information about her personal life or their relationship. But to verify his account, detectives reviewed Purdue Pharma's security system. The company's electronic records show that he had entered the building that morning and had not left during the period when the murder had occurred. Surveillance cameras and access logs also reported this claim. Coworkers even confirmed seeing him at work, so although investigators continued to scrutinize his behavior, his alibi proved pretty much as solid as it gets. So with Nelson ruled out as the killer, police expanded their search the canvas neighborhoods and interviewed coworkers and reviewed phone records the anonymous nine one one call. It was traced from a payphone located near a restaurant approximately half a mile from the condo complex, and officers attempted to identify anyone who had used that phone around the time of the call. Now. Unfortunately, the area lacked useful surveillance footage and no witnesses could recall seeing anyone. Forensic teams also processed the apartment extensively. They dusted fingerprints, collected fibers, and examined bloodstains, but despite the massive amount of biological material at the scene, none of the usable prints matched anyone in the criminal database. No foreign DNA was immediately identified either, and the absence of clear forensic links left investigators with little to build on. One critical problem, though, was that the detectives did not yet know about Sheila's relationship with Nelson. During early interviews, Nelson still didn't disclose that he'd been involved with another woman at work. Whether out of embarrassment, fear of suspicion, or concern for his own reputation, he withheld this information, and as a result, police were unaware that Analysa had been in a part of a complicated romantic love triangle, and that someone else might have had a strong emotional motive to commit her murder. So without a clear suspect to confession or decisive forensic evidence, the case began to stall. Detectives continued to revisit witnesses, re examine physical evidence, but still no new leads emerged. In the weeks following the murder, Nelson struggled to process what had happened. He lost his partner suddenly and very violently, and the investigation had offered no new clear answers. Friends and coworkers later described him as becoming withdrawn and emotionally exhausted. He continued to work at Purdue Pharma, but his routine had changed. He was quieter, less engaged, and visibly shaken by the loss. During this period, Sheila began positioning herself as a very steady presence in his life. Once again, she reached out to him under the guise of concern and sympathy, offering emotional support and understanding. Sheila even presented herself as someone who had also been affected by Anealisa's death. She spoke about how shocking and unfair it was, how dangerous the world could be, and how fragile life felt after something like that happens. These conversations, though, were very much so engineered by her to reinforce a sense of shared trauma and closeness between them, effectively to rebuild what they had once had, and over time, Nelson began to rely on her more heavily for comfort, and just as she had planned, as their communication increased, their relationship slowly shifted back into a romantic one. What had previously been an affair resumed, and now under a very different circumstance. Now, remember, Nelson believed Sheila was single and emotionally available. He had no reason to suspect that she was married, and she made sure that nothing in her life contradicted that impression so to him. Before he was the only one with someone else, but now they were just too single, vulnerable people. Meanwhile, Paul remained largely unaware of what was happening. Too. Sheila continued using the same system she'd rely on for years. Saying that her brother was coming to visit, Paul packed up his belongings and left the condo, giving it to her and Nelson. During these periods, Sheila was free to spend time with Nelson without any sort of interference. Paul still believed these visits were about protecting your brother's mental health, and he didn't question them at all, even as they became more frequent. By early two thousand and three, the case of who Murdered and Lisa hadn't made any progress, and Sheila had achieved exactly what she'd been working forward for years on. She was back in Nelson's life, both emotionally and romantically, and she still carried on with the shrade of being a devoted wife and supportive friend, but the reality was she was juggling two separate lives, carefully managing what each man saw and knew. But maintaining both relationships required constant control, and as Paul began to question his place in his own home and marriage. That control was starting to slip, and eventually it would end in tragedy, and that's where we're gonna end. Run.
Speaker 2: There's always a point where I just start getting anxious because I'm like, when or is this gonna stop? I need to know more information. But this is one of the most effed up stories ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm pretty sure you say that like every other episode.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, at this point, I feel like I shouldn't be so fucking shocked by shit anymore, but I just am.
Speaker 1: People are fucked and they do fucked up things, and it's shocking. I, for some.
Speaker 2: Reason, was sitting here not even expecting her to try to get back with Nelson. No, Like, what the hell is wrong with me?
Speaker 1: You were expecting her to not get back, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't think that, Like I didn't.
Speaker 1: That's why she killed Ana Lisa to remove her from the path of getting to Nelson.
Speaker 2: I guess. I, Well, I I have trouble understanding why she would even want to go back with him, Like he chose someone else because obviously he liked her better, but she I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if she removes her, then there's no one to like better than her than Sheila. Then she's center of it all again.
Speaker 2: Fucking Sheila.
Speaker 1: Wow, fucking Sheila.
Speaker 2: Fucking Sheila.
Speaker 1: That should be merch. Fucking Sheila. This is if your name is Sheila, we're not talking about you. You're cool. But this bitch yea different.
Speaker 2: This is unbelievable. I mean, if this was a Sopra opera, though Annalise would one day be reborn.
Speaker 1: At the funeral, she would attend her own funeral. She'd rip off a black veil.
Speaker 2: And reveal who she actually wasn't dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, is.
Speaker 2: That going to happen.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you what's going to happen, but I can tell you there's some more brutal things to come, and Part two is definitely going to be worth the weight.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I feel like this could end here in a sense because okay, like what's next, but apparently there is a lot still going on.
Speaker 1: It gets worse, That's what I'll say. I'm only going to say that it gets worse. Thank you for being here for part one. We'll see you in part two in a few days, and until
Speaker 2: Then, stay wicked.