Speaker 1: It's nights Side with Dan Ray. I'm doell you easy Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Madison Rogers, I am always cool. The Red Sox, by the way, for those of you who are keeping track, are now forty and forty a five hundred baseball team. They play game number eighty one, which marks the halfway point of the twenty twenty five baseball season. Yikes, man, weirdest time go. My name's Dan Ray. I'm the host of Nightside. We're gonna take you on a quick four hour ride all the way just short of midnight tonight. We have some interesting topics also some interesting guests coming up during this hour. We'll have four guests on different topics. A couple of topics I'll give you a heads up are heat related, which is understandable in view of what happened today here, well anywhere here east of the Mississippi or east of the Rockies. It's hot, absolutely hot. So we will talk about that coming up at nine o'clock tonight. There's a very interesting development in a huge contract that the Massachusetts Department of Transportation Board of Directors has awarded to a company from Ireland. The redevelopment of eighteen highway service plazas on and around the Massachusetts Turnpike, much to the chagrin of a local company, a great local company, Global Partners, and Global Partners President and CEO Eric Slifko will join us to talk about a very strong letter that his company that he has sent to Governor Morehley. And then of course we're going to talk about the latest on what's going on in Iran. First there was a ceasefire, then there wasn't a ceasefire. Now it looks like they may be back to a ceasefire. Stock market did great today. Oil prices plunged, now that's not bad. And the Celtics are having a garage sale. It looks like or at least a bit of a salary. We'll get to all of that, I promise again. I'm Dan Ray. Rob Brooks is back in the control room. Our first guest tonight, Dan Zinibart. He's an associate scientist in applied ocean physics and engineering, and he's a Penguin researcher down at the Woods Hall Oceanographic Institution. He's going to talk about a study. He was not directly involved in this study, but he's going to talk about a study that shows emperor penguins, not the Pittsburgh penguins. Emperor penguins are showing a dramatic decline in one region in Antarctica. I didn't even realize they had more than one region down there, Dan Zinibart, how.
Speaker 1: Are you.
Speaker 3: Really good? Thanks for having me one.
Speaker 2: You are more than welcome. So what's the deal. Emperor penguins, I assume are probably at the top of the penguin food chain, hence named emperor or do they have a certain strut in style that has earned them that designation?
Speaker 3: Hm, let's clean.
Speaker 2: We're going to try to clean up that line here. It sounded like you were at the Antarctica as opposed to woods Hole. Are you back No, let's well, a little bit of a soft start tonight. Let's see if if my guest is back. All right, give it a second time. Is always a charm. By the way, Dan said of broad I don't know what you did there, but I thought you moved to the Antarctica for a second.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm not that far away.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I've asked you this complic you get a question about the name, I can hear you just perfectly don't even move wherever you are, Okay, even if there's a flock of Emperor penguins coming in the door, just let them come in. How do they how do we get the name emperor penguins? I'm kind of curious.
Speaker 3: It's the tallest of all penguins and the heaviest of all penguins. That's why it's right all the oh, kind.
Speaker 2: Of like a basketball player. Okay, we think of the Penguins Pittsburgh, we think about hockey. Not now, I'll always think about basketball when I think about Emperor p So what's going on? They get a dramatic decline in one region of Antarctica. Is is this something obviously we should be worried about that. The question is how are you should we be about this?
Speaker 3: I mean, you can be worried, for sure, we should be worried about the indications we see so about five years back that all the big studies showing that the emperor penguin population are slightly going to be declining. And this is because the species is so dependent on the sea ice and how long, how stable the sea ice is, because they breed during the winter on the sea ice. So you can imagine if it warms up like we're having heat waves here, actually heatwaves in an Arctica as well. And if things warm up too fast, the sea ice which they breed on, where basically what they are standing on all day, breaks away, then you lose entire generations of newborn Emperor penguins. And that's of course we'll have a climb down the growth.
Speaker 2: So the baby penguins aren't yet able to swim or navigate in water. I assume.
Speaker 3: Correct if they have to lose you know, the plumb feathers and get their adult sabus and offense, which I want to prove. And if this yes breaks up before that happens, they basically trou Oh this.
Speaker 2: Is this is a bad news. Now. This is one region of Antarctica. I caught that reference again. We asked questions on this show, Dan which we don't script questions. How many regions are there in Antarctica. Is this like one area where we're having a problem, or is this a huge region that we're having a problem.
Speaker 3: It's about a quarter and one part of this region is the fastest warming region. So the region what you would expect those impacts to be first, and what we don't know yet is if this is a trend or if this is a fluctuation. One thing that really needs to be understood is we are observing now much better than we have been observing twenty years ago, so our data, the data we're getting now is way more detailed. So we see such fluctuations, we all expect it to be a trend, not just a fluctuation, but we will be keeping having it to keep looking longer to make sure of that. The true problem is while this is one species and we don't want to use any of the species, especially not such a iconic species, this can also hint to the health of the entirety of the ecosystem because the emper penguin is at the top of a food web. If a predator at the top of the food that doesn't do well, there can be many reasons for that, and one of the reasons except the sea ice, can be that its food supply is strengthing okay, and so it gives us an indication of the ecosystem of the Southern Ocean. So the emperor penguins stand is a bioindicator, and that bioindicator is doing not well. The entire ecosystem is not doing well, and if the entire ecosystem in the seven Ocean is not doing well, it really reduces the so called ecosystem services. We have to keep in mind that the Southern Ocean does a lot for us. That solves a lot of heat, that it solves a lot of CO two out of all the oceans in the world because it's so cold, and that actually helps us helps the world not too warm too fast. So while we are talking about one species and the decline of the species, the impact which this tells us is that in the future we might have to deal with even more heatwaves.
Speaker 2: I assume that the penguins in Antarctica basically are fish eaters. I'm assuming that correct.
Speaker 3: Fish and squid and krill, So.
Speaker 2: Sure the stuff that you would figure is there an indication that that food supply is diminishing or is it too early to tell.
Speaker 3: We know that with less sea ice, you have less algae growing in that sea ice, and then that will have a condition unless krill being able to grow because the krill eats on that algae. So algae stays under the sea ice and then blooms onto the CS is gone and it really needs the C. I S the specific algae, get a list there so vers an indication the system that is rather slow. So we actually that's the concerning part. We would not expect to see any signal yet all the world was okay, here's totaly another decade or two into this, reallyal lives in an Arctica. And if that signal is true and it really arives now and we already can see those massive changes as our colleagues showed, then that's concerning.
Speaker 2: Okay, Dan, our connection is not great. I don't know what sort of a phony you're You're down in woods Hall, I assume right.
Speaker 3: No, I'm excer Seattle.
Speaker 2: I know in Seattle, Washington. But that's okay. Are you on like a headset or something or just that.
Speaker 3: I just have my phone in my head, just your cell phone.
Speaker 2: How well, we didn't. We didn't luck out on the quality, but we've I think I've understood uh and my audience has understood the message, which is most important. So I thank you very much for for for sticking with us on this, because I know it was probably not a lot of I know it wasn't easy on your nd easy either. I hope that you could hear me a little more clearly than we could hear you, But thank you for having joined us, and we'll keep an eye on it, and maybe the next time we talked to you, you'll be a little closer to home and the reception will be cleaner all around. So wonderful, Thank you very much, nice to talk to you. Enjoy your time in Seattle. When we get back, we're going to go to the other end of the spectrum here. We're not going to talk about Antarctica and sea ice. We're going to talk about Boston's extreme heat and its impact on peak energy demand. Although schools are not in business, air quality on schools, there are some schools I guess that are still in operation. And also we're going to talk about urban heat islands. I'm going to talk with Sharon Rawn. She's an assistant director of public health at the Metropolitan Area Planning Council here in Massachusetts. We're going to come right back on Nightside. My name is Dan Ray, and I assure you Sharon's phone reception contact is going to be a little cleaner than Dan's was. Back on Nightside right after.
Speaker 1: This, You're on Nightside with Dan Ray. I'm w Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everybody again. One of our themes tonight is, of course Boston's extreme heat, a lot of heat here in New England, Ah, well, really anywhere in the eastern two thirds of the United States. And we're going to talk with Sharon Ron. Sharon is the assistant director of Public Health at the Metropolitan Area Planning Council here in Massachusetts. Welcome to nightside, Sharon. How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm good, Hi, Dan.
Speaker 2: How about explaining I certainly have heard and some of our listeners have as well, exactly what the Metropolitan Area of Planning Council does.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course, so Metropolitan Area Planning Council or MAPC, we're there, regional planning agency for the one hundred and one cities and towns in the Greater Boston area.
Speaker 2: And under that umbrella of those one hundred and one towns, what sort of planning are you involved in? I assume that part of it has to be energy consumption and energy availability.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely so. We have a green energy team that does a lot of work around energy consumption and green energy and energy efficiency. We also do land use planning, so thinking about housing, open space, and recreation needs. I'm on the public health team. So we're working a lot with local public health departments and doing similar sort of planning exercises for planning for the future, and also thinking through what are the policies, the programs and environmental changes that the local public health departments have under their jurisdiction that we can support them with.
Speaker 2: Okay, so all of us know that today was a miserable day unless you were inside in an air conditioned office building where you weren't paying for the electricity that was running the air conditioners. But how much of a heat load was put onto the electric and you know, energy providers here in Massachusetts, this must have been a tough day for ever Source and National Grid and those all UNITIL and all those sorts of companies.
Speaker 4: I assume, yeah, it definitely was. We have a peak demand end program where we're looking at when those utility providers are expecting the peace demanded. Today this afternoon, right now is during a projected peace demand hered And actually, Dan, I am sitting here right now, and right before you called me, I had a power outage because of the heat. So I am living it as we speak.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope that you're not near where I am because I have to be in the air for another three and a half hours. So I hate to say this, but if I had a choice between it happening to you or me, I hate to say that, but I hope, I hope you're able to get out of Are you in the are you at home or in your office building?
Speaker 4: I'm at home. Well, these urban heat islands that we're worried about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know, urban heat islands. I know that that became a little bit of a big issue with the the reconstruction of the new White Stadium and the new soccer team that is going to play there a couple of years from now. A lot of the tree in Franklin Park near the near White Stadium, the footprint of White Stadium we're taken down, and I know a lot of people in the community were quite upset about that. A heat island basically is a place where there's a paucity of vegetation and trees at a plethora of a cement and rose fairly accurate definition of what we're talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, And I think that the concern is not these spaces not only are becoming much hotter during the day because of all of that paved surface absorbing and radiating the sun heat. But they also don't cool off as well at night. So it's one thing if it's the park, but if it's in a neighborhood where people are living and they're not able to cool down at night, that's when we're starting to really see those negative health outcomes because your body's just getting no relief from the heat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, today, for the first time in my memory, you watch the news and you hit the weather. Today. Of course was the leads to and they were talking about one hundred and one degrees and then the real feel and all of that stuff. But for the first time today I saw some of the weather forecasters talking about what the actual heat was on the pavement in various communities. I have never seen that on a Boston Weather's channel before. Maybe I've missed it, but they were saying that the pavement in and around Boston, the pavement, of course, the roadways and the sidewalks up to like one hundred and thirty six degrees. When I saw that number, I said to myself, I'm leaving my car idle today. I'm not going to put my poor car and the four tires on one hundred and thirty six degrees pavement. Had you ever seen had did you happen to see that today in any of the weather forecasts? And did I miss it?
Speaker 4: You know in the past, you know, talking about the temperature of services versus the ambient tent pissure of air is something that we certainly talked about and they're certainly linked. But when it gets really hot and relentlessly funny like it is today, the surfaces themselves become a hazard. And I think that what you're talking about, concerned about the help and safety of your car is certainly what we start worrying about is if you've cascading failures, because I mean, roads are one thing, but you have seen it with trains where the surfaces of the train mails get so hot that they start to buckle, and so it can cause in my neighborhoods the power line started to stay set on fire. And so actual surface temperature is starting to cause damage unto themselves.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to ask that question. I have never seen that before on a weather forecast on television pil they'll give you the temperature, and they'll give you what the windshield factor is or they'll give you the heat in decks or whatever all of that. But have you ever seen there was a full screen today that was saying, you know, roadways in Boston one hundred and thirty six degrees and somewhere else. I've never seen that before. Have I just been clueless or have you actually seen that in the context of a television weather forecast.
Speaker 4: I have not seen it in the context of a television in the forecast. You were one hundred percent right. I normally see it in the context of people talking about surfaces and playgrounds and where.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely. But I will bet you that as this summer wears on, and if we get some more temperatures like today or even close to today, that this will become a regular feature on some of the weather forecasts. I just think that you that someone came up with it, and maybe they've been doing that in Houston and Phoenix for years, but you never would have thought you've seen it in Boston. So equality in schools most schools, I assume at this point out for the year, right, are we worried about schools at this point?
Speaker 4: Well, we're worried about schools because more and more schools are using or more and more districts are using their school this district sorry school buildings for summer programming, and so they are the same old buildings that were in session a few years ago, and they are just as ill prepared for heat when their summer sessions as they were when they were in for normal session. But you're right, I think the majority of students now are out for summer, but it doesn't remain the concern.
Speaker 2: Well, Sharon Ron, thank you very much. Sharon is the assistant director of the Public Health of Public Health at the Metropolitan Area of Planning Council in Massachusetts. Thank you for the work you do, Sharon, and thank everyone else there as well. Thank you so much for joining us tonight, and I hope you get your power back as soon as possible.
Speaker 4: Thanks Dan, have a good evening you too.
Speaker 2: We will talk about ways to protect your mind and body when heat rises at eight forty five. However, when we get back, we have some advice for parents on how to navigate the summer months while balancing work, family, and an increasingly complex world. Heather Wilson, co founder of give Segal, who's going to join us right after the news at the bottom of the hour get out of the way. Here comes the news. It's coming down the track.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WAZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: What a welcome. Heather Wilson. She's the co founder of an organization called Give, Send and Go. She has some advice on how parents can navigate the summer months, which upon which they're just about starting while balancing work, family, and increasingly complex world. Heather, A lot to talk about here. How are you the.
Speaker 5: Saving I am doing well. How are you good?
Speaker 2: Where are you folks located?
Speaker 5: I am down on the eastern shore of Maryland, but most of our employees just work remotely all around the world.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so tell us what does your group? Give said to go? What do you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So, GIFs and Go was started about ten years ago a couple siblings and I as a place for people to fundraise easily online and that we share hope. Well, people are fundraising, so we know some of the big crowdfunding PLA forms that are out there. We are similar, but I would say a little better.
Speaker 2: Okay. So, uh so it's founded Vice Vice ad byce some folks. You know, how did people interact with it? I'm trying to understand what you what what what people can can can glean glean from your organization is the word I was looking for. Go ahead, what what? How's it? How's it? How's how can my listeners be helped by give send and go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so if you were to go to give sendgo dot com, you would see a bunch of people raising money for all sorts of things. And so how it works is and again me and two of my siblings started this ten years ago. And how it works is that you would go on and you'd say I need to raise money. Maybe you get in a car accident and uh it was an unexpected expense, and so you go on to give send Go, You start a campaign and then you share it across social media saying I need some help. I was in this card car accident. Can you please help me? And people it's a fundraising site.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is like go fund me.
Speaker 5: It is very similar. A couple of differences where in more countries available in more countries around the world, our payment processing fees are less, and we have a hope aspect of it, where we don't just say you're on your own, go try to raise funds we say we're going to step in and let you know that you're not alone while you're raising your funds.
Speaker 2: So what can you do to help someone. Let's assume somebody has a I don't know, they have three kids, and they want them to go to summer camp, and one wants to go to a soccer camp in this direction, another one to go to a basketball camp in that direction, and another wants to go to a music camp thirty miles in the other direction. And the mom or the dad, or maybe it's a single parent, they're they're being pulled in three different directions. And each camp starts at nine o'clock runs from nine to three, So you can't drop all of them off simultaneously. You can't afford to buy a helicopter and buy them parachutes. Is that the sort of person who can contact you and you guys will help set up a page for them to to to make an appeal. Is that the way it works. I'm trying to I'm trying to understand it as best I can, so you know it. Yeah, I'm giving you hypotheticals that I think might work. Go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it's not necessarily that we step in and help with their every day shuffling kids around.
Speaker 2: You're in Maryland, right, I get it, you're in Maryland.
Speaker 5: Originally it would be great. I have my own children, so so.
Speaker 2: What So someone contacts you and says, gee, I got three kids are going in this direction. It's gonna I can drive one of them, but I gotta get some other parents and I got to chip in. I gotta raise some money and the tuition.
Speaker 5: For these kids to raise. Yeah, maybe you need to raise money for your summer camp, right, Like, camps are expensive if you're gonna send your kids camp, and you know that grandma would love to chip in, and maybe a couple of aunts and uncles or whoever. You have some people that you know that would be willing to help because they know you're kind of in a tough spot with these stray kids and make an ends meet. And so you come on to gifts end Go you say, I need help raising money for summer camp this year. I really think it's going to be a great opportunity for my children. And you just start a campaign on gifts end Go. You do it yourself. We have a little AI guy who helps you create your campaign and it's very very easy for people to set up and then you just start sharing it across social media saying hey grandma, hey sister, can you help me? This is where I am here. I have these three kids, they all need to go to summer camp, and you know that. You know, my husband just got laid off and things are really tight. And then your friends and family. The way it works is your friends and family and community. It gives an easy place for them to come around you and step up and help for the different needs. A lot of times we see it more in the like tragedy type of things, like something really unexpected happens, right like you get a diagnosis.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, yeah, yeah, we we all can allow our imaginations to run there. So here's my question. If you're going to basically reach out to Grandmama, you know, Auntie Rita, uncle Harry uh, and your long lost cousin in Philadelphia, why do they need give send and go? I mean, can't they? I don't. That's what I assumed. It would be one of these things where someone would put together a pitch and they would put it out there in in a in a forum, in a public forum, and someone maybe in Kansas would look at it and say, oh, I remember when I had three kids that summer twenty years ago. When they're all gone and you know, different compass points, and so that's it's more. They help you, help them develop a pitch that they can make either to their local community, to their neighborhood, or to their family and friends. That's what I'm beginning to hear, sound sound like from you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So gift sung Goo is a fundraising site. That is what we are. We're not a community a do you have a refrigerator? Mine's gone.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not asking that question. No, no, no, no, we're not on the same page. I just want to make it clear from my audience that you could start a go Fundme page and you could say, to go fund me, I need money because my kids, they're all teenagers and they want to do sports. I don't want them sitting at home. And you can go on GoFundMe. What what service?
Speaker 5: So the same thing on gifts seng Go. We have less processing fees. We have the same tools, if not more, to help you share your campaign easily effectively across social media. But really we are the same as far as what we do. We allow people to raise funds easily online from a community of people, and that we have people come on to our site looking for people to give to you, but most of the time it's going to be your friends and family because that's how fund raising works, right.
Speaker 2: And that's so you're you're different from goalfundme because whenever I've seen and we do a lot of this here uh here, and that's normally with you know, where the tragedy has occurred, uh and and all of a sudden a family's life has been turned upside down by you know, some of the most horrible circumstances. And and oftentimes you'll see a goalfundme page and someone will set a goal of raising fifty thousand dollars uh and they will exceed that in the first day, and they'll have one hundred thousand dollars and you'll find out that they, you know, they've raised a college scholarship fund or something like that. That's what I think. If it's gofund me, I guess you could do that as well. But you're you're more laser focused on people who know your clients. So when I come to you, you're going to say, well, who are your friends, who are your relatives, who are your neighbors, who can we.
Speaker 5: It's going to be the same as GoFundMe. It is going to be the same thing. We are the second largest platform undergo fundme. We are their direct competitor. Think of how you think of GoFundMe. That is who we are. We just yeah, like I said, we have less. We have a couple of things that differentiate us, but it is going to be the same sort of process. As far as what people we see a lot of those tragedies and things like that as well on gibzend go. That is how people raise ones.
Speaker 2: Yep, So you've been around how long now?
Speaker 5: We have been around ten years. This is our tenth year.
Speaker 2: Did you predate go fund me because it sounds to me like they probably came around that same time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were there a couple of years prior to us. We had seen seen them and thought, what a cool idea? Are there any other based type platforms like this? And we launched.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, they got competition fair enough. Heather appreciates your call very much. Thank you so much for talking with us tonight. Have a great night, Thank you. Okay, back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well as sometimes happened. Professional sports teams trade players and sometimes when guests don't show who we expect to be available, we sometimes go to the bullpen. And we're very lucky to have Dan Watkins with us, who not only is a news anchor, but he liked me, is also a sports guy, and he probably is a little stronger than I am a couple of sports. I might be a little stronger in baseball history. But Dan, let's talk about the sell picks. They're offloading. They're they're doing a little bit of what the the Red Sox did with Raffie Devers, and they're floating some of their talent so that they can uh diminish the amount of rep tax revenue they're gonna have to pay the league. What's going on?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So the Celtics, they keep reshaping this roster. Right, they've stripped away some big time pieces from the championship team last year. Drew Holliday gets traded last night to Portland, back to his old team, right for the team, to the team that the Celtics got him from a couple of years ago. Uh, And in return they get a guy in Anthony Anthony Simons.
Speaker 2: He'll know where the good news is when he gets to Portland, He'll know how to get to the arena.
Speaker 6: You would think, so, well, sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, they forgot maybe sublet the the wows.
Speaker 6: I liked Holiday, I did too. I thought he was everything that the Celtics need. He was that adult in the room that that they desperately needed at the time. And you know, he's gonna go down as a you know, fans are gonna I think we'll always appreciate what Drew Holliday did for this two years.
Speaker 2: One championship, right, that's not bad. Bat in five hundred.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, who's the guy.
Speaker 2: They're getting there getting a guy plus two draft choices, second round choices, which is pretty good. I assume this player is younger.
Speaker 6: Anthony Simons is his name. He's nine years younger than Drew Holliday. He's only twenty six. He's got a year left on his deal. He's making somewhere in the twenty million dollar range heading in the next year, which was a It is a salary cap relief because Holiday was scheduled to make in the thirties.
Speaker 2: But Holiday's also working on a four year deal.
Speaker 6: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so not only next year, but whoever's got him then.
Speaker 6: Has to be responsible, big time deal. Okay, so they did that. They peeled him away last night.
Speaker 2: They have you seen this this player for Portland again. We see the Trailblazers once a year. They're not right, they're not a you.
Speaker 6: Know, they're not a marquee team.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they're not the Lakers. You got a line in this guy's holiday.
Speaker 6: So he's a decent three point shooter. He's a really good offensive player. Defense though, he is definitely a massive downgrade from Drew Holliday. That is what I've read and what I've heard. And then tonight the Celtics with another trade, ESPN's Sham Shrania reporting that they're sending Kristaps Porzingis to the Atlanta Hawks and part of a three team deal where Atlanta's sending their first round pick tomorrow night to Brooklyn and the Celtics are getting George's Niang, who is from Lawrence. He's a local guy. He's in his thirties. He's another kind of a three point shooter guy.
Speaker 2: And then older player, the older Yeah, if he's in his thirties, yes, as he bounced around. I had not.
Speaker 6: He has been with He had been with Cleveland for a while. He was traded to the Hawks during the season this year, so he's been He's a little bit of a journeyman. We'll see if the Celtics hang onto these guys or not, or if they're just if this is just part of like a domino effect where they're going to move them later on. Celtics also get a couple of second round picks here in this deal too. This one felt much more like a pure salary dump.
Speaker 2: Well. Peringius also had some medical issues and short term he had some sort of a bug this up spring that limited his time in the playoffs.
Speaker 6: Right, and then he's also had you know, physical injuries as well throughout the years too. So I'm guessing with based off of the return, that there might have been something going on with the medicals as well there that Atlanta might not be totally sure what they're getting here in Porzingis, and that's why the Celtics didn't get as much back along with the salary to Porzingis, another guy that's is set to make in the thirty millions of dollars coming up next season, where Niang is only on the books for about eight million dollars.
Speaker 2: So por Singis is going to play in an international tournament this summer for his native lat FiOS. I understand it correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he usually does that whenever is the Foeba or the whatever those those tournaments are called. There's so many of them now, I can't keep them all away.
Speaker 2: From the Hawks. He seems to be such a fragile player for you know, for a big center guy. I don't know that I've won him playing that summer basketball.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, yeah, I would assume so I would probably feel the same way there too.
Speaker 2: But okay, now let's move. Let's move to baseball. Okay, we're going to get in territory that we're both comfortable in.
Speaker 6: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: So the Red Sox tonight, as you know, reached the halfway point of the season. Yep, forty and forty has a nice round ring to it.
Speaker 6: Perfectly perfectly balanced, Yes.
Speaker 2: Perfectly balanced. Cora went nuts last night and was ejected second straight night. Yeah, for good reason. I mean I thought he was. I think he objected correctly. New York wouldn't overturn the call, and he ended up with the umpire, which to me seemed crazy. I mean, the replay seemed to indicate that the hand was back on the bag. They got problems here. They In order to make the playoffs, I'm thinking you got to get to about ninety wins these days. So for the last eighty or so, they got to go fifty and thirty. They got to go twenty games over five hundred. Is that doable?
Speaker 6: I don't think that's doable. They are fortunate though that the American League is down this year. So if you look right now, the Red Sox are only a game and a half out of that last spot. Teams like Seattle, who the Socks have beaten this year ahead of them. They got a huge series with the Blue Jays coming up this weekend, who are a couple of games ahead of them right now too. They just need to start beating these teams that are, you know, right in their way to getting to the playoffs. And they need to stop making these little league mistakes that they're making every single night. I mean, that's the only way I can describe what they're doing on the baseball field here. Most nights you got guys dropping balls, the unearned runs. Yeah, it's it's the I don't know if you saw. I know it was the Giants.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're talking about Duran running into eating it on that pop fly behind third base.
Speaker 6: That was over the weekend and then last night. This was while you were on the air during during night's side. But the double play that they hit themselves into, oh yeah, was absolutely.
Speaker 2: I saw the replay on that and Dan, I'll tell you a secret. Occasionally during a news break, I take a little peek at the TV set.
Speaker 6: Good for you, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So Hun did Dobbins and now has a little bit of an elbow problem.
Speaker 6: Yep, they bring Fits back up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like Fits. I got to tell you something. I loved the guy last September. He didn't win a game. I think he's zero to three this year. Uh, but I just like his stuff. He looks to me like a pitcher. He's got that that that lower body strength. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's the best thing the Red Sox have after Crochet in the second half. Are you buying that or no?
Speaker 6: They need someone to step up here because I've had about enough of watching Walker Bueller every night. The guy's saying the right things, but man, it is not working right now. He was hurt earlier this year. Since he's come back, his e RA is over eight, which is terrible. Gilido has been you know, he's been okay. He's given them innings, his velocities up, which is huge for him. He needs that because he's really only throwing two pitches at this point with his fastball and his change up and then yeah, other than that, and I still hold out hope for Brian Bao to take that next step.
Speaker 2: Looten looked, well, thank god the Bruin, Thank god the rid Sox swept the Yankees. If they hadn't swept the Yankees, that'd be six games under. Instead of being forty and forty, they'd be thirty seven and forty three, and uh and maybe all hope would be lost. I I I last night they would have three nothing in the top of the first and by the time the Angels had finished the inning they were with the Angels were winning five to three. Peaceful. Where was that shutdown inning that Beulah had to provide them?
Speaker 6: First first pitch home run for the.
Speaker 2: Oils netto put it in the leftfield bleacher I happened to be seeing. I saw that.
Speaker 6: I think he hit a couple when they were here a few weeks.
Speaker 2: Yes he did, Yes he did. They got some. You know, he's hitting better than Trout does at this point. At this point, hey, Dan, you pinch it for me tonight, relief, pitch, whatever, whatever metaphor. We want to use you the best. Thanks man, I appreciate it, and I always.
Speaker 6: Enjoy talking with same.
Speaker 2: You really do same here back at you we get back. We're going to talk with the president, the CEO of Global Partners. This is a huge energy company here in Massachusetts, been around almost one hundred years, founded by the family of Eric slip Cup. He feels as if they have gotten the short end of the stick on a huge deal that has gone out of state and out of country. We will explain right after the nine o'clock news here at night side