Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI A M six forty Nature, Mark talks about pontificates about pop culture. Ron and Report with.
Speaker 2: Mark Ronner, k if I am six forty, We're live everywhere in the Iheartradiot. Now we have the Runner Report with the Mark Ronner.
Speaker 3: When I first saw the trailer for The Bondsman on Amazon Prime, I thought that's my kind of show. Dead guy brought back to life to hunt down escape demons. Kevin Bacon stars with sort of a towny trash accent. Here's the trailer.
Speaker 4: Did you die.
Speaker 1: Mail Force? Come out with your hands?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think maybe I did. Mister Hallarin some here about your new job orientation.
Speaker 6: She knows things hub about how you died and.
Speaker 7: Went to hell.
Speaker 8: You're only standing here now because we brought you.
Speaker 1: Back, which is just plain silly.
Speaker 8: Do you think it's silly? Mister Hallerin What's job lady? You're still a bounty hunter, but now you hunt demutes for the devil?
Speaker 1: What two three four?
Speaker 2: Imagine?
Speaker 5: How is a prison? And sometimes inmates bust out? This time one of them busted out here and more? Am I becoming the born Ones? And found him sent back.
Speaker 7: What do you mean send him back? Just put one and bring.
Speaker 8: You'll see hopefully for all of us.
Speaker 7: I need to tell you something about your pastor.
Speaker 6: Well, maybe it's not just about killing demons.
Speaker 1: Look, you can get your family back together.
Speaker 7: You're stuck in a so called job for how long your hell runs out of demon seems like you need to see this, there's a pattern.
Speaker 2: Then call the hotline a.
Speaker 7: One nine hundred number charge in ten bucks a minute.
Speaker 5: What do you expect? It's hell. If you fail to process any demons assigned to.
Speaker 6: You, step on it or skipping school.
Speaker 7: You will be terminated, will have through. So did you take our son along for a demon fight yesterday? I'm just trying to do something nice here.
Speaker 3: I think I got all the dirty stuff leaped out of that. The demons have glowing eyes, which is good for identification purposes. There's some gore in the bondsman. Uh yeah, my kind of show. All right, dead guy brought back to life to hunt down escape demons. I knew it was my kind of show because I really liked it the first time I saw it in the late nineties, and it was called Brimstone. Remember that here just take a listen to this Samanity confessional.
Speaker 4: It's been a long time since my last confession. I was a cop, I was good at my job. I was married, I had a good life, and my wife was raped.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: I caught the guy who did it, but he got off. I tracked him down and I killed him, killed him, killed him.
Speaker 6: This was a terrible, terrible, singing myself.
Speaker 4: Two months later, I I cornered this petty thief who had a gun. He opened upon me. I took five bullets to the face and neck and died. And because I had killed him in cold blood, I went to Hell. Okay, and their father. Now that's funny, But even the most maximum secure penitentries from time to time and may as well escape and happen on Devil's Island. Happened at Alcatras six weeks ago, it happened in Hell. One hundred and thirteen of the most vile creatures who ever walked the earth escaped. And now they're backing.
Speaker 6: Prince of Lies the most of Hell. Surely, having his subject spent on earth spreading chaos and destruction, well this would bring a smile to his face.
Speaker 4: I don't know farther. You, of all people, know that even the devil has to answer to higher power. They screwed up and now I need someone to fix things. Cracked down those creatures and send them back to health.
Speaker 3: Okay, you get the idea, and I like that confessional exposition there.
Speaker 8: Hmm.
Speaker 3: Awfully similar started that blonde guy from the thirty something show. His name was Peter Horton. He's still with us, but he was a cop, not a bail bondsman, so totally different, right. That show only ran thirteen episodes on Fox. I don't think it's ever been on video. I got some episodes on vhs in storage someplace, because of course I do. I checked a couple Torrent sites and I think you can find it if you're a filthy scofflaw. Brimstone was about a copy raised from the dead and held the hunt on Escape Demons, played things straight, had atmosphere to spare compared to the Plopsman, and John Glover was pretty fun as the devil in that show. It was a good companion show to other ones on Fox at the time, like Millennium and of course X Files. If I'm remembering it right. Each time the guy smoked one of the demons he was hunting. One of his hell tattoos disappeared. Why am I talking so much about a show from nineteen ninety eight and not the new one on Amazon Prime. Well, it's better. The Bondsman is a horror action comedy. Before I saw it, I wish they'd played it straight, and that didn't change after I watched it. Vivan Bacon's character, Hubb, is divorced. Who is Hub? What kind of a name is Hub? I just about swore there. He's divorced from a singer. They got a teenage son, so there's some irritating perfunctory scenes in dialogue right there. The singer has a sleazy boyfriend, and the Bondsman is close with his mom. Bacon, by the way, sixty six years old, which makes him only nine years younger than the woman playing his mother. Nothing against him. Actors got to pay for the pool upkeep. Show's watchable, But about the best thing I can say about the eight episodes is that they're short, all about a half hour, give or take. The show is created by someone named Granger David. It's his first thing of any note. I can't say if he ripped off the older show, or ever saw it, or didn't even do a Google search or what. I had a story solen from me once and turned into a show. I can't tell you the name of it, but when I looked it up, I saw that the credited writer didn't have any other major previous credits either. I'm not going to accuse the Bondsman writer of theft, because that's serious and I don't want to go to court. I can't accuse him of being really unoriginal, though, whether something's ripped off or just an unoriginal idea done worse than the original, I still take that as an insult from the creators. They think we're that dumb. In fact, I tried to track down the creators of Brimstone. Their name is Ethan Rife and Cyrus Boris. They also wrote Kung Fu Panda. Believe it or not. I tried getting a hold of them. They don't have any social media presence. I got somebody I know to get me their agent's information from IMDb. PRO didn't get an answer from him yet, So we're just going to go with what we have here. Now that I'm thinking about this, I wrote a zombie comic background twenty nine and ten called rotten. And a few months ago I saw a Facebook post or ad or something from someone who also had a zombie property called rotten, and I put in the comments. Dude, at least do a Google search on your title before you publish something. No reply. And that's the story on this. It's it's the kindest show that will only make you want to watch the original because it's much better.
Speaker 2: K if I Am six forty. We're Live Everywhere the iHeart Radio App. Part two of the Runner Report.
Speaker 1: When we come back, you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Welcome to MO on the Movies.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Don't be ridiculous, darling, it's mo on the Movies.
Speaker 5: Gis not a chance.
Speaker 2: K if I Am the six forties Later with bo Kelly, Live Everywhere the iHeartRadio App. In fact, we are opening the phones right now. Give us a call it eight hundred five to two zero one KFI eight hundred five two zero one five three four for name that movie cult classic The Vowel Kilmer Edition eight hundred five to two zero one five three four Name that movie cult classic for the vow Kilmer Now back to Mark Robert for part two real quick.
Speaker 3: Along with the economy, some pretty notable people died this week, and they're never coming back either. For starters one, you might not know the name of Robert McGinnis, a magnificent artist of some of the best James Bond movie posters. I think he was ninety nine years old. I finally had gotten my hands on a Belgian one for that nineteen sixty seven Casino Royale comedy Bond movie, just learned by the way that Fleming pronounced it Casino Royal, and I still love the art for that. Look up Robert McGinnis and you may realize he was the artist of some of your favorite movie images or book book covers. We lost Richard Chamberlain. I was watching the first of his two Indiana Jones rip off movies on twob this weekend when I saw he died. This happens to me a lot. Not sure if I'm the cause or it's just a function of the fact that I like so much old stuff. He was famous for Doctor Kildare, which was before my time, but after that he became the king of the TV mini series Showgun, Born, Identity, Thorn Birds, Richard Norton, a legendary martial artist and actor and coreyah from Australia in some classics with some of the greats. Loved him acting and Force five with Joe Lewis and Benny the Jet or quetas. He had such a long and impressive career that he was in the last two Mad Max movies and courted that coordinated their stunts. I had been seeing posts of his with Cynthia Rothrock on Facebook. His catchphrase was is it painful? After he just kicked the crap out of somebody? And Val Kilmer, who we're going to get into in the next hour. The director John Frankenheimer, when I was interviewing him for his Not That Great a Reindeer Games movie, told me, which you don't usually hear from people in show business, he'd never worked with Kilmer again, but that's the tradeoff sometimes instability and difficulty for just insane talent, and Kilmer was terrific. Some of my favorites of his that are not Heat or Tombstone, which you know, real well, real genius. I don't even know how many times I've seen it. That was one of his first big movies. Hilarious still Wonderland from two thousand and three, where he plays John C. Holmes. That's all I'm going to say about it. Spartan from two thousand and four, a David Mammot movie. Val Kilmer plus David Mammot is a really cool combination. Thunderheart from nineteen ninety two, Kilmer plays an FBI agent with some Native American heritage investigating a crime among Native Americans. And Kiss, Kiss, Bang Bang from two thousand and five. I think that's his last great one, and it came he co starred with Robert Downey Junior, and that came before Downy's big resurrection with Iron Man. All those are terrific movies. If you haven't seen them, put them on your list, track them down. Kf I AM six forty We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty