Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Hello there, and welcome back.
Speaker 3: What is this place?
Speaker 2: Is connected? Disconnected?
Speaker 4: It's connected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected, disconnected.
Speaker 2: I'm sorting to feel disconnected. You're the number that has been disconnected. Hey there, we are live for another reconnected, this time with one of my favorite people who has chosen to remain in hiding for quite some time. Very happy to welcome back the amazingly into Christmas period, Miss Erica should tie. Hi, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm ready for the year to be over, That's all I'll say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's not been a great time for most people, but it's been a time. I am glad you're back. It's been an interesting year. The big thing I've not asked you about this other than the day of how does it feel now that you did the whole Miskatonic live thing.
Speaker 4: I'm happy that it's over, only because you know, I think I've shared many times I have really bad anxiety, and so just you know, the time leading up to it is stress inducing. But I mean I did have a lot of fun putting the presentation together. I think it went well. My mom told me that it went well, so that just I'm like, okay, well then that's fine. I don't need to hear anything about anyone else. So but yeah, it was it was just I mean, I was just honored to even be asked to do something like that, to hear my name on Joe Bob, even though he seemed a little disconcerted about the topic when Claire brought it up. But yeah, it's the whole thing was pretty surreal and I'm just glad I got to do it. It's a huge It was you know, it wasn't even like a bucket list item thing because oh yeah, Josh is awesome. Josh is actually the one who reached out to me to get copies of the book for Miskatonic, so yeah, he's great. But I didn't even realize Miskatonic, like giving a lecture was a bucket list item until I was approached for it, because I didn't even think nice it was in the realm of possibility that it would ever happen.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, what who else is here?
Speaker 4: Thanks?
Speaker 2: Bill?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 2: When when you were doing that was what was the prep like? Because obviously you had years of research already on the topic, you had done much of this, but I don't think you had done like an actual like presentation like that before. Have you other than like a couple of talks.
Speaker 4: No, but you know, having done a few interviews with folks, I plagiarized myself and took a lot of the air for forty four visual essay, And really it was just I mean, in my fucking day job, I have to create you know, powerpoints all day. So that was just like, that's not the hard part. That The hard part was really censoring my not sensoring myself, but like cutting it down to like a certain length, and even then, like I was running short, like I had to cut stuff during the presentation, So just getting prepared for it, I did rehearse like a couple of parts of it where I wanted to make sure that the what I was talking about matched up with like the video that was that was playing at the time. So that was pretty much it. Though a lot of it is kind of like you know, when you're outlining a video essay and you want like what you're talking about to line up with what's on screen. So yeah, it all sort of came together. Dumb work job, you know work, you know, actual job, plus like all the other stuff kind of came together to make it a little bit easier than it was. But it I mean, it was a lot of work. But yeah, glad it's over.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad that something else isn't over. It was a while that Unsung WHRSE was off the airwaves for a little bit, and now you've been back at it almost a year. Has has the year gone? I've been excited here every episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been a good year. You know. We had a few guests back again. We just capped off No Rules November with Abraham Castillo Flores and we're taking December and January. Well, we have an episode coming out next week, but we recorded that at the end of November, like we take this time off. We'll be back in February, though, but next week is our end of year episode. Where in the past we have shared you know, film discoveries, our favorite you know new to me watches. Neither Lance er I watch enough new movies to create any kind of like favorite twenty twenty five or lists, so they would just be ridiculous. But this year we decided to do something a little bit different instead do uh film resolutions?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 4: Which is what you and I are going to talk about later? My completely different lists though I made. I made a lot of resolutions. I mean I made them like all easy, like they're all layups. You know, I'm not I'm not challenging myself in any way, shape or form next year, right, Interesting.
Speaker 2: I was wondering about that. I was wondering if they were going to be crossover what That's cool? That's no.
Speaker 4: You have you have you have a set and then I have a set for next week's episode. So everyone can hear all of my resolutions if they listen.
Speaker 2: That is exciting. Another thing, you have done seemingly more contributions than year this year than I thought you were doing at the time. But it is a busy year this year. Yeah what what? What releases you been on.
Speaker 4: I've got a lot of work on my Shaw Brothers this year, and a few of those I've I've done with Lance just because especially when i'm you know, we're doing commentaries. I'm not in a place where I'm I'm comfortable doing those on my own yet. But let's see we had Sorry, I have to look at my list, because I don't remember. I've done so many, it's just I have a really shitty memory. So Men from the Gutter. I had a visual essay on that, which we talked about when I popped in last time. That one's not out yet. It's not out yet.
Speaker 2: You can still tell us go right ahead.
Speaker 4: No, I don't even remember. What was this year? Was Possession of Joel Delaney?
Speaker 2: This year, I think, so, yeah, I think that was like April or May.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, So that one was a lot of fun because I wrote about I had a booklet essay in that one, all about like Santoria, representation and film. And then I guess, I mean, I'll skip ahead to one other section. But I got. One of the things that I got recently was my Shaw Scares Box, my contributor copy. So Lance and I did a commentary for this one on Haunted Tales, which is funny because the other two that are on here, Sex Beyond the Grave and Hell has no boundary. We did episodes in August for our August So but yeah, I've got a few things I'm working on right now during our podcas pass break. Get those done early and very excited. I'm gonna be working on something with Will so people can look forward to that. And yeah, so it's it's been a good year, and I've got a couple other things lined up already for next year. But you know, we'll see how much I want to take on. I was already kind of getting burned out, and like our friend Ian Jane, who joins us every year for sh August and he's got a bunch of commentaries on the Arrow sets and the Shout Factory sets, even he was like, yeah, I'm a little burned out on Shaw Brothers stuff. I don't know how Frank Jang does it. Man, that guy's a he can he can churn it out. And I'm not doing anywhere near what either of them are doing. But even I'm kind of like, so, as long as you have an angle to approach it, where you know you're not just repeating the same names over and over again, I think I think there's something for that. So I just said yes to something that I was like, Okay, yeah, I can I can do something interesting with that, So I'll say yes.
Speaker 2: Well, and it sucks because we can't say the title, but I've not said this to you. I'm really excited for a terror Vision title that you've done that's not been announced yet. They should have been announced ages ago that I think might be the favorite thing that you've my favorite thing of yours that you've done, other than the book obviously, which is incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean, yeah, I mean, I'm really proud of the thing that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: This sucks for TV, but however, Yeah, I'm really that whole release is going to be incredible. I cannot wait for them to be able to get caught up and get that announced.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I hope to see I hope it sees the light of day soon.
Speaker 2: It better. There's a lot of work done on that disc. All right, So let's speaking of discs. What have you been picking up lately, because I know you don't buy a lot of stuff and you're pretty selective, so I'm always curious to hear what you're choosing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I yeah, I honestly, I'm I'm going back a little while, like this is not within like the last couple of weeks or anything like that. But I did during the last Criterion Barnes and Noble sale, I went and I got one, treated myself to one and I got this is one of the Janus contemporaries. Evil does not exist. I start to see that, there we go. I've never seen it. This was a blind buy for me, so I mean, I know that who the director is, and but yeah, I'm excited to watch this. And then I got John and I both ordered it not knowing the other person ordered it. So technically this is his pickup because I accidentally got the four K because the description did not say Blu ray on it. But Indicator's release of Hitchhike. I haven't watched it yet. It is open. I mean I've seen it in the past, but I have not rewatched this version of it yet. I did open it though, because I wanted to watch what was the special feature called Oh the Coldest of Dishes. It was the documentary that Eugenio or Kalani did you know? He's my special features crush. So I was like, well, I'm gonna watch that.
Speaker 2: I love what Eugenia has been doing this year. By the way, he's crazy.
Speaker 4: He's everywhere, he really is and justifiably so. And then from Arrow I got again this is from a little while back, the House of Laughing Windows. You can see it's shiny not opened yet. And then the Behemoth.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty incredible release. It's kind of crazy that by the fourth of these that they nail the one that I think everybody's like most excited. I did four so far.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was that was like, Okay, I haven't spent a lot of money this year. I did not, you know, we didn't do Vinegar Syndrome this year. I spent some money at the Black Friday Sale and I was thinking about it and I was like, I bought four titles and they were all ones from this year. And these were the only ones that I was like, these were ones that I was bummed that we didn't have a subscription for. But I told myself, I was like, I'm just going to pick them up at the at the Black Friday Sale. It's fine. And it was four and that was it. And then I was asking John if he had bought anything, and I think he only had bought like two things from Vineger Syndrome this year. So yeah, we haven't talked about whether we're subscribing for twenty twenty six. I don't think so. I know that's going to come up later.
Speaker 2: I think it is, and it's it's kind of hard because it seems like this year, I don't know if it was like catch up, but there was just a lot of it's a lot of upgrades this year. And that's I know you and I are on the same fence on that. It's like we'd rather discover something than have. Oh, this has been released five times over the last ten years across four territories or whatever. So it's tough. But on the one hand, and VS does this often. It seems like every other year is an incredible year, So you would think twenty twenty six might be great, but gosh, it's hard to put trust in that after this.
Speaker 4: Year, I mean I trust a lot of what they do, and a few years ago, even like this year twenty twenty five releases, I was more open to having you know, curation for me. Yeah, but I think I've just become so incredibly frugal in the last year a year and a half that I'm just like, I can't like let someone else pick for me anymore, Like I just I can't. I need to have more control over where my money goes. So and that's really what it comes down to, because I kind of, you know, I miss you know that box showing up every month, and even though I know what's in it, it's like, still, you know, it's still nice having that, But I just I can't. I can't justify that that cost upfront, and especially in January coming off of the holidays, like because this whole, this pile that I just showed doesn't even like show like what I bought for John for Christmas and all that other stuff. So yeah, sucks.
Speaker 2: But obviously we both feel a lot of the same things about BS this year. I'm curious, are you I know you're still paying attention to everybody. Is there a label that still feels like they're curating to you in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 4: Radiance is really the one that every single thing that comes out, I'm like, I would love to own that. And there's a part and like, man, back when I had money and Radiance like first announced and they were doing that subscription, I was like, I should have just done it. I should have hold the trigger.
Speaker 2: On that that subscribed to the three year deal got a deal of a lifetime.
Speaker 4: I know it's yeah, hindsight and all that, but I mean, I feel like Radiance is really the one that stands out to me everything else is just sort of like oh, that's awesome, Like oh, what's that? And like ew no, you know, So it's just a mix across the board, with the exception of of Radiance. I do think that third window. I'm I'm really a big fan of a lot of their a lot of their releases too, but of the like the bigger name one, I say Radiance for sure.
Speaker 2: Well I'll throw out a couple of things that I've got to share. Not a ton came in this week. Finally got in the contributor's copy for this brand new Toxic Avenger Steel Did you I don't remember. Did you happen to see this year? I don't remember you talking about it.
Speaker 4: No, I did not.
Speaker 2: I figured not, but it being fairly positively reviewed, I was curious if you would have seen it. This is still wild to me that we were able to be on a release of the Toxic Avenger and get involved with Tiffany Sheppis. It is mind blowing at me. I did not get to see this last year, but knowing how I love animation, I knew that I had to pick up Robot Dreams. This is supposedly incredible. Literally just got it in so yeah, I still sealed. Another one that came in with it is film Masters. I love the old like religious exploitation. That's not a word. What should we call it? Christ Christ's there we go. I got in the Blood of Jesus that they put out, and I've been very curious about checking this one out. I love the art on this. That would make a really fun post. Yeah, and then I didn't share it last week I think or no, when Will was on, somebody was saying, you and Will, neither of you got any of these. I just want to share. I did get all of the Dan Curtis stuff from Keino because these were a must, but everybody was getting them, so I didn't want to share the same thing across the board as everybody. Yeah, what have you been watching? Because I know that you're not watching the same things I am.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah. So we'll get into this a little bit when we get into like resolutions. But I've been kind of mainlining a lot of Hong Kong stuff because I'm trying to get all of that out of my system this year so that I can focus on something else. So there's been quite a few Hong Kong movies, but in particular. I'm not going to bring up any of those because you again, I gotta go to my letterbox, because yeah, I don't know what I'm I don't know what I'm watching. One that I did really like, though, that I will bring up Hong Kong is The Secret from nineteen seventy nine, and we really amazing murder mystery, which this kind of this now, this doesn't spoil it a little bit. A lot of people compared it to uh, don't look now, and not just because there's a red coat involved with it, but just like the whole atmosphere of it very much feels in that vein. So I really enjoyed that. The Secret from nineteen seventy nine. I'd seen it before, but we went to a random not I wouldn't call it. It wasn't a plan double feature, but it was playing. They were both playing at Austin Film Society. We saw Strangers on a Train and a Chinese Ghost Story in the same of the fun Day Dang at Afs. I watched Beast of War. I watched a twenty twenty five movie, and you know what, I liked it.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad I've been eager to see this one.
Speaker 4: I well, here's the thing. I don't think it's great, but I know a lot of people really liked it. I liked it a lot more because I like shark movies and this one to me just having a practical shark in it. You know, it has so many just like you know, tropes of like other types of movies that I was just like, all right, this is tired and whatever, give me, just give me more Shark. I like the Shark very much that I ended up giving the three stars, so which is good for me.
Speaker 2: Great modern Everyone clap.
Speaker 4: And then we're planning to go see No Other Choice on Christmas. So in order to get my my whook excitement turned up, we we watched Thirst the other night, which I had never seen. I'd been saving it so loved it. Can't wait to see No Other Choice. One of the highlights that I've I've ever one of my highlight movie going experiences was from Fantastic Fest a few years ago where Park Chen was there with his new movie and I went to see Joint Security area and it was amazing. He was there with Annie CHOI was translating for him, and I was I was at first upset that the theater wasn't filled, like not every seat was taken, and I was like, what are the people doing? Like Parcha Woke's here?
Speaker 2: Like yeah and chilling.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So but yeah, that was a great experience. And so I finally watched Thirst. It's one of those things where like I know it's going to be good, he's less. So i'd been waiting and I was like, you know what, let's just watch it because we're going to go see No Other Choice at Christmas and I want to see it.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if you saw Josh's here too, by the way, Oh gay hi. So I got lucky. I got to see No Other Choice last month at a film festival, and I truly think you're gonna love it. It is such a big fuck you to capitalism and like the corporate world. It is great. It is very much needed. Right now, did you see? I think it's in New York. They're doing a special screening where CEOs of tech companies can come watch it for free. You just have to prove you're a CEO. And just the branding of that is hilarious. Go but I love the idea. It's so which fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what have you been watching.
Speaker 2: Sir, very different things, because my year has been things that I can't talk about. And then to kind of like blow off steam, I go and watch brand new movies and complain about them a lot.
Speaker 4: Oh I like to do that too.
Speaker 2: It's fun, but I like them a little more than you. So this last weekend I did see the new Silent Night Deadly Night. I thought it was fine. It's I actually like it more than the original. I've never been a big fan of the original one. It's just I.
Speaker 4: Haven't even seen it and that's like the worst take I've ever heard. Ryan.
Speaker 2: I'm not a big fan of the cheesiness of it. That's never been my thing. I'm sorry, So it's okay. Anyways. The other thing I have you heard of sarat Spell. It s I R a T. It's a Spanish film, and you would love it because there is a child death. Oh maybe I should not have said that, because it is a spoiler. It is.
Speaker 4: I don't care. It's always a spoiler when someone tells me there's a dead kid.
Speaker 2: So well I say that. But eight hundred people are gonna hopefully see this eventually.
Speaker 4: Oh well they should, you know, they should want to see it. For the right reasons, and that's because they're Oh, it's already in my watch list. That means did you already tell me about.
Speaker 2: This I might have This movie is kind of incredible. It starts off like deep in the heart of the rave scene in Spain, and it takes you on what scene, the rave are a ve?
Speaker 4: Oh v Jesus wow, I thought, yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is not It is the rave scene and this child and his father they are on their way to they're at this rave. They're trying to find like the child sibling that the father's other child that didn't run away because they're like nineteen, but they've not known where this other person is for like five months, so they're trying to track them down and they're into the rave scene. So they went there to check them out, and somebody at the raves says, well, there's another one coming up if you want to go, like, we'll take you to the next one and you can check there. And the whole film is basically about the journey to this second rave, and this takes crazy turns. Things like I could have listed eight hundred things that I would think might be in this movie. There are things that have in this movie that would be like ten lists down from that. It's kind of crazy. You would like a lot of it, Okay.
Speaker 4: I hope it doesn't bring back any bad memories of when I used to go to raves.
Speaker 2: No, it's there's very little of that, very little of that fun But that's really funny. I'm sorry, Dustin. Dustin says, everybody hit yourself on the head to forget the serrot spoiler. Yeah, I won't even mention what it was. And then the other one that I watched that I want to talk about because I feel like harlelynybody's talking about this is Left Handed Girl. This is a Taiwanese film that premiered on Netflix, shot entirely on iPhone, written by Sean Baker in part, and it is directed by Sean Baker's longtime collaborator, Shinshu Shoe. And it's very good. Another movie that is like very human, very set in a very time and place and you're just looking at a snippet of their life and it's directed very well, I will say, as it goes for a modern film. It is shot on iPhone, so it's not going to be like lush and textured, but there's something about this movie. The blues in this movie are gorgeous, and it made me want to just go visit like the markets in Taiwan. It is so so pretty to look at. Really great movie, good ending. I feel like they really nailed it with this one. Sean's a great writer, so I'm not really surprised there, but I truly liked it.
Speaker 4: I hope this goes somewhere besides Netflix.
Speaker 2: It probably won't, sadly, that's just how it goes nowadays.
Speaker 4: Fine. Also, I need to give credit. Bill is the one who told me about Sarah, so I want to make oh nice Nice.
Speaker 2: I'm glad Bill saw it because it does seem like one of the Bill was Bill would list on his end of year list. It's so good. Yeah, and Sean Baker's highlighting left handed girl all over the place, that's for sure. All right. Before we get into announcements, like Eric I said, after this, we're talking about our film resolutions for next year, things that we want to do, things that we want to focus on, just any like promise to ourselves we're making for twenty twenty six, and I want to hear everybody else's in the chat. I'm very curious to hear yours now too, anything else you want to cover, anything else coming up that has been announced that you can hype, or anything for Unsung Horrors you want to hype up? You got a January movie you want people to watch.
Speaker 4: No, now, I just want to be left alone for the next two months.
Speaker 2: That's it, all right. I am excited for you to be completely sequestered from the world. Let's get into it and you can hit me on the head again because our first discussion Tonight, Silent Night, Deadly Knight. Four K steelebook from Cineverse is coming out on February seventeenth. Already. Yes, this just premiered in theaters this last week and they are riding high on the publicity and want you to pre order it now. Like I said, the movie's pretty good. I thought it was well done. We've got the guy from Halloween Kills which makes Erica cringe. Is the main star. Here is Billy and the big thing. I thought Ruby Modine, Matthew Modine's daughter. She is like the counterpart to Billy. Here she is the Pamela. I thought she was really fun of this movie. Yeah, you can pick this up. Blu Ray four k Standard, all that stuff. Silent Night, Deadly Knight. Youre going to see it someday.
Speaker 4: I believe I am because somebody told me that there is a dead kid in it.
Speaker 2: So there is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I Am going to eventually have to see it. But you know, I'm I'm going to try to lean on the library a lot more in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, checks out, all right. Next, we got a couple of announcements from Imprint. I'm gonna be talking about Imprint a lot tonight. March twenty fifth, we got a Blu Ray box set of the Sidney Lumette Volume two. This box set has The Whiz, Daniel a Stranger among Us, Critical Care, which is the first time on Blu Ray anywhere in the world, and Gloria from nineteen ninety nine, first time anywhere in the world on Blu Ray. We got some new extras here. The main one that I want to talk about is The Whiz from nineteen seventy eight. This is the last physical media contributions of the late Lee Gambon, the person that I respected, maybe more than most people before I started doing all this myself. He was an incredible person and he got this stuff done early when they knew that they had signed these. He did this commentary a while back. He also hired Michelle Kisner to do the visual essay on this. And I really need to see this disc. I'm just so excited to pick up more from his contributions. Yeah, Yeah, new extras all over this weegein, New commentary by Adrian Martin on Daniel. We've got new featurette on Sidney Limetz later years over on a Stranger among Us, Critical Cares, new commentary by Howard s Berger and Nathaniel Thompson, and then some more new special features coming eventually. Gloria. No new extras, but that's because it seems to be everybody's response to this. Everybody This's scene. Gloria kind of hates it, so there we go. Then they also offered another box set. This is a directed by John mackenzie box set covering from nineteen eighty to ninety two. We've got the Long Good Friday, the Honorary Console, the Fourth Prodigal, the Fourth Proto Call Ruby First Time Anywhere in the World on Blu Ray from ninety two, and this is all coming in a four disc card box. Other than a Long Good Friday. You've seen any of these other three?
Speaker 4: I thought I had seen Ruby, but now, what's the Michael Caine one?
Speaker 2: The Michael Caine one is the fourth Protocol from nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 4: No, I've not seen that.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have either. Obviously, the Long Good Friday I've seen and it's great. Yeah, new commentary by Matthew Aspy Asprey Gear on the Honorary Console. Nothing new but all kinds of archival stuff on the Fourth Protocol. And then Ruby gets a new commentary by Kevin Lyons. Yeah. I need to see more of these Long Good Friday. If you've seen it, you hopefully you know that it's great and check it out all right, next up? Okay, so this is kind of funny to me, Maybe it shouldn't be. Lionsgate send an email about their American Psycho four case deal book that they just like re released a special one with some new bonus features. They announced to everybody that hey, we screwed up and we sent you the wrong disc in there, and we got to send you a replacement disc. Turns out the old four K disc just got printed again. All those brand new special features that they put all the time and effort into just forgotten off the disc, and they sent out the old disc anyway, So if you ordered this, you will be getting it. But because this is a side exclusive, nobody has to prove that they bought it, so you'll just get the disc immediately. And that's the really nice part is when you screw up a side exclusive, nobody has to send emails.
Speaker 4: Good job lines, Kate.
Speaker 2: Next May fifth, Warner Brothers is releasing a four K steel book of the brand new IT Welcome to Dairy Season one. I know you love some Stephen King stuff. How excited are you to watch this adaptation?
Speaker 4: Zero out of ten? I mean, I don't have what was this on HBO?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But also like I as much as I love Stephen King, I love like you know, back in my day Stephen King. You know, I don't. I don't want to watch the Uh. I watched the new IT movies. I didn't care for him. I had zero interest in this, even though I was told that there's you know, more dead kids.
Speaker 2: Lots of dead kid spoilers tonight. I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you know, but yeah, I don't care about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to see this. I will see it someday hopefully. But yeah, the amount of time for watching a TV series takes up too much. There's so many other things to watch.
Speaker 4: Yep, agreed.
Speaker 2: That's also coming out in the UK, by the way, and it's coming out of standard Blu Ray no Standard four K, but check that out if you are into it. Next coming soon on Blu Ray from Kino is The Lost Man from nineteen sixty nine. This is a Sidney Potier film that I need to see. I've seen this poster many many times. I've always been very curious about the pose in this poster and how this fits into the movie. But I need to see this for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I missed this one. They had a Sidney Poitier retrospective a few years ago at AFS and I missed it. So I hope to to see this one. And Celeste, now, I am not gonna watch it because it's a TV show.
Speaker 2: I don't remember, is there. I know there's a section on made for TV movies in the book if I remember right, but is there anything on TV shows or like?
Speaker 4: No there, I mean there are like made for TV movies in the book, and I included like a few movies that technically were TV shows but then got like, you know, they've now been collectively sort of decided like I would just call it a movie. Right, So there's some of that, but I'm not watching Welcome to Welcome to Dairy. I don't care, all right.
Speaker 2: Next up, Keno is putting out a four K soon of MacArthur from nineteen seventy seven. This is Gregory Peth Gregory Peck starring is MacArthur. This will have Dolby Vision. No release date on this. It'll come out eventually as a Sergeant movie with a nice Jerry Goldsmith score. It sounds like I need to see this one. Same Adam says, I like Erica's stance against TV shows they generally suck.
Speaker 4: So you got a fan there, Okay, I mean I'm there are some TV shows that I like, but no, I can't remember the last time I actually sat down to watch anything new as a as a television show. That's also just comes with me not having any streaming except PBS. They get my five dollars a month.
Speaker 2: Good, good, good good. H Like I said it. Welcome to Darry is also getting a standard Blu Raine DVD in the US and the UK. Here is the art for that check it out. But this one's kind of cool. Over in Germany on Well today, Cape Light is releasing The Adams Family, the TV series that we were just shitting on TV series. There's a lot of TV series we're were good to talk about. Tonight, they're putting out the whole complete series on Blu Ray for the first time anywhere in the world. They have confirmed that this will be English friendly, so that is a plus. You can pre order this from Diabolic already, so if you really want this and you love the show, this will be the way to get it.
Speaker 4: Wait, let's say d Adams Family. Yes, why is it German? For the but family is not in German like it should be fam. I l I e for German.
Speaker 2: I believe when they copy the title itself, the it's not the subject whatever it is. The thes and the a's and and those are always translated to be different. But I think they keep the main thing. Sometimes I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: I don't like it. It is it is, and I still want it, but I don't like it.
Speaker 2: I get it. Yes, I do like this cover and I do like I will say one.
Speaker 4: We'll get it. D bart d.
Speaker 2: One big thing I love about Cape Light is that they advertise with this picture that the sticker is peelable. I really wish everybody would do that, so that you know that you're not buying something that's stuck there. All right, This one is interesting. You can pick up a Blu ray and DVD here in the US from a self published release of a film called Clocking the t from twenty eighteen. Now, one of the main reasons I posted this as an announcement is I don't think I've seen this before. They are advertising for this. A part of these special features is that they're giving you all of the files for two dailies and they want you to be able to edit the scene yourself, so you can take it and be a filmmaker and like compared to what they ended up with, and you can make your own version. I think that's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't. I mean I wouldn't do it, and I don't have any interest in it, but I appreciate the hustle you put your own thing out, and I appreciate that this is something new and other people would want to do this, just not me.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. That next up a label that I don't think I've had to talk about in like ten months. Anti World's releasing over in the UK, which is like a sister company to Indicator, I believe January twenty sixth they are releasing a blu ray of a new film called Miss Mantler from twenty twenty five. This is limited to one thousand only. It will have the CD with it, and that is because this is a dark stream of consciousness fever dream that resembles nothing you've seen before. It's a collaboration between the director and Nurse with Wound, the band Nurse with Wound and so the film great of animated visuals for a live Nurse with Wound show. The main character of the Miss Manteler is taken from a collage by one of the individuals associated with it. It's a post apocalyptic landscape pictured in a number of major films that are now part of the collective Unconscious. You see Terminator of the Road are clear. Terminator and the Road are clear influences for this release. His obstinate close up dive into the physicality of surviving, however, is its own thing. This will have the audio CD, like I said, and then an eight panel digipack packaging featuring new artwork and limited to a thousand, but it is region free. I really like that they're doing this. This is pretty cool.
Speaker 4: I'm interested, but it does sound like a little bit too inside my own head, so yeah, I don't know how I feel about that.
Speaker 2: Brandon loving the band. Yeah, lots of people excited about this. Yeah, I have to admit I had never heard of Nurse with Wound before this announcement. All right. Next up, the newest Jackie Chan film, The Shadows Edge, is getting a four km blu ray over in the UK on February sixteenth from Sinney Asia. This is a twenty twenty five film. This I'll have a collector's booklet with an action feature at some music videos and then some directors and cast greeting clips. I read that. I was like, are they just saying hi and weaving? And that's the whole feature? A photo gallery, some trailers and that is it. Have you always been into Jackie Chan? Is this somebody that you like?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 4: Since like the nineties? Like I love all like Police Story, all that you know that era Jackie Chan. Yeah, I have zero interest in this, Like I'm I'm not keeping up with Jackie Chan like he's got I try to keep my you know, artists separated from the artists, the art and all that. But you know, he's got some takes that I just don't care for. And I don't, you know, he's still alive, Like I don't. You know, there's people who are dead now that I'm like, wow, that was a shitty person. But you know, they're not getting any more money from me because they're dead. But I don't know, I don't. I don't have any interest in seeing in Jackie Chan in twenty twenty five movie.
Speaker 2: Not only does he have some takes, he's made some bad, bad choices. Yeah, that's enough about Jackie. Criterion announcements, I'm very curious to hear what you say about these. March twenty fourth, we get our most surprising one. We get a four K blu ray and DVD release of Killers of the Flower Moon from twenty twenty three. This is a Martin Scorsese film, of course. We get a brand new four K digital master approved by the director. We've got a new documentary featuring Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio, Lilly Gladstone, David Grant, The Osage Nation principal chief, Jeffrey Standingbear, Osage cultural consultant John Williams, the editor film a schoonmaker, and other members of the cast and crew. We've got a song for the Osage and new documentary illuminating the film's final shot, which I loved. We've got excerpts from the twenty twenty three can Film Festival press conference. We got a short pro on the cover art. We've got a trailer. Lots of stuff here, plus an essay by Vincent Cunningham and film programmer Adam Perrone. I know that a lot of people thought this was like, not surprising, it's a Scorsese film. However, this is a pretty big deal because this is the first time that Apple themselves have licensed something to another company. As far as I can tell, everything else that they put out that you're going to say, well, Apple stuff has been released before. Those were done by the production companies. Apple did not own the home video rights like F one earlier this year was a Warner Brothers home video release, not Apple, but I guess Coda coming out a month or two ago, that was the first big Apple physical media move. However, this was not a given them licensing. It is pretty cool. Did you get to see Killers of the Flower Moon? Is this something you were excited to see?
Speaker 4: I did see it in theater. I enjoyed it very much. I did not realize that this was a big deal because I didn't even know who owned the physical media rights to it. So I am happy for everyone that's for.
Speaker 2: This well and for everybody that was like, oh, finally it's on physical media. Don't forget this. Did have an Italian four K release that was readily available, and yes, I will be buying it a second time because there's so much about this that is important. The cover art, getting a featurette is important either way.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so did a lot of people buy the Italian one because they didn't think this was ever going to happen?
Speaker 2: Yes, like Orbit, Diabolic and Atomic and a bunch of places. They all imported it and we all bought it up as soon it was in stock every time. And sip ted Lasso was not done by Apple. Actually it was a Produce Production RAND release. Yeah, that was not Apple themselves, all right. So that's Killers of the Flower Moon. That's the first title. Next up, March tenth, we're getting Verdiana from nineteen sixty one. This is coming on four K and Blu Ray from them. This was previously a Radiance release, and this is a Bunuel film. We've got a new four K digital restoration. We've got all the extras on here are extras that were on previous releases of this. I believe I may be wrong there, but I think that's the case. Boudoul I know that you've got a couple of things to say about Bonuell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I'm a big fan. This is one that I would definitely add to my ever growing list. I'll buy it the next Criterion sale, I swear.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 4: No, I'm excited to have this. He's somebody who's movies. Whenever I watch, I want to immediately rewatch him. But I also want to kind of sit with them for a while and then revisit it when I'm at a different point in my life, because I feel like the first time I watched one, I was way too young and I was like, what's this and I didn't quite get it. And I feel like I'm in a place now where they sit much better with me, especially after fucking twenty twenty five. Man like it very well with me now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense, all right. Next up from Them March seventeenth, we were getting a Blu ray only of Testament from nineteen eighty three. For those that don't know, this is a nuclear themed film that is very good. This was released previously by Imprint. This has most of the excerpts from the Imprint release, but the Imprint disc does have a couple things that are missing on this one. So if you got that first one and you love this movie, which I don't know how much, this is a rewatch, but this movie is quite good. Have you seen Testament Erica?
Speaker 4: I have not. I will say that this artwork is like depressing and spot on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was gonna mention that because I saw a couple of people saying, what is this art or what is this poster or whatever? This is the poster it should be. It is harrowing. There are some new things on here. We got a new conversation between Litman and author Sam Wasawson. There is a couple documentaries on here. There's Testament at twenty which I really liked. This Testament at twenty featurette, so definitely something to watch. There's a couple of other things here than an essay by Michael Kresky, This movie is rough. There is you know so many people that will say I can never watch Threads again. To me, this is like a little more real than Threads and a little more difficult to rewatch for sure.
Speaker 4: All Right, well, I'm definitely not watching it this year. Right, I've had a rough year.
Speaker 2: That's all right. It doesn't come back to March. You're good, all right, I'm going to not exercise my French and allow Erica to say, on March seventeenth, we're getting four k in blu Ray, how do you say this?
Speaker 4: Erica Class two risks?
Speaker 2: Okay, that was way better than I would have This is from nineteen sixty and says, after hiding out Milan for nearly a decade, fugitive gangled gad, that's too far away from me to read. Fugitive Gangland chief Able Dapo sneaks back to Paris with children despite a death sentence hanging over his head, accompanied by appointed guardian Eric Stark. Fresh office start turn in Breathless is Jean pel Balmondo and beset by backstabbing former friends, Abel begins a throat grabbing, soul searching journey through the post war Parsian Underworld. I've never seen this movie. I don't think have you seen this one?
Speaker 4: I have not, but I am immediately and I saw Leno and Jean Paul Delmondo pop up, and I'm like, I'm already and I don't even know what this movie is about, but I'm in. This is something like I'll probably buy for John for his birthday or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a hell of a cast. Immediately, ah, and there was a BFI release. That makes sense. So this one, We've got excerpts from a two thousand and three documentary. We've got interview with the novelist and co screenwriter on this. We've got some archival interview footage essays by Bertrand Tavernier and been a reprinted interview with ste and a nineteen sixty two tribute by Jean Pierre Melville. And yes, I need to see this as well, Ronnie. It's not personal. I can't read French. I admitted to it. I'm awful. That is probably the worst language I deal with, which sucks too, dealing with immigration stuff, because honestly, there's a lot less French immigrants that come in than a lot of the other countries. So I deal with those languages much more often. All right, March thirty. First, I'm Blu Ray is a Man and a Woman from nineteen sixty six. This is not one that I've seen. I don't even think i'd heard of this one. This one's an an Oscar winning international sensation with a two brand new two K did digital restoration, new interview with the director, a making of doc shot on location, archival footage at the can Film Festival from nineteen sixty six, a short film from seventy six, and an essay by Kerrie Ricky. Is this one that you know?
Speaker 4: I know of it and I am going to make a note to requests this from my library as soon as it becomes available.
Speaker 2: Nice they are? They pretty good with criterion titles at least.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they are.
Speaker 2: I've seen I've seen the Oh gosh, I can't remember what it was. There was something you shared in the Unsung Horror Discord like a year ago that you got from the library. I was like, man, I need to go to the library more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was some What did I just I just order or requested a Tony Tony Jaw movie called Striking Rescue, and I requested it way back when someone first only there was a dead kid in it, more spoilers, and then they approved it and I was like, holy shit, all right, yeah cheer c U Austin Public Library. And then it still hasn't come in yet. They's like approved it and they're like, oh, it's you know, it's on order. And now of course it's like you know, streaming on fucking tub or something. I'm like, I'm trying to support the library and you're taking the fucking long.
Speaker 2: Come on, says I think that was me.
Speaker 4: Ah probably, yeah.
Speaker 2: All right. Next up one that I'm excited for coming on March thirty. First, a four K blu ray release of The Blade from nineteen ninety five. This is a shoey hark film. Among the boldest accomplishments of Hong Kong cinema's golden age. This uniquely visceral martial arts movie puts a gritty new spin on the story of the One Armed Swordsman, an iconic figure from the moment he was introduced by the Shaw Brothers in sixty seven. And this is very divisive. Some people think this is awful, and then there are other people that are like, this is the masterpiece from the nineties.
Speaker 4: This movie's fucking great. I love this movie. If you like I mean really, if you like anything that Choi Heart did in the nineties, if you like Shaw Brothers, you know, or any type of like Wouja movies, like this movie is great. Yeah, I'm excited for this. I want to own this.
Speaker 2: I love the cover on this too. It's a this will look nice on the shelves of Barnes and Noble and call out to people for sure. We got a new commentary on here by the one that we mentioned earlier. Mister Frank Jang got to go sit I think he said that he sat in Oh gosh, maybe it was Francis Ford Coppola's office for this one to record it. They had him come down and do it. And it was that or Paul Schrader, one like a big director's name, and he's like, yeah, I got to sit at his desk and get this recorded for Criterion. It was nice. There's a documentary from two thousand and six on here. New visual essay by Taylor Ramos and Tony Jao the New York Asian Film Festival Q and A was Shoey from twenty eleven has some footage here and then an essay by Lisa Morton who is an author. Yeah, I definitely need to be this one right. Next, we've got some cool stuff coming out of Sweden which is rare for US to say, December seventeenth, Club Super eight, which is the one of the newer Ocean Partner label title Partner labels, which could indicate that this could get a US release from them eventually. That's not a guarantee, but just saying it's possibility. They are putting out a Nikatsu Sweden Poruno line is what they call it over there, and this first title is House of the Beast from nineteen seventy three. And for the record, if you are into these, you can go on their site and they are also selling a collection of all six films from this line that they're going to be doing, so you know that they're going to be doing sex. We're only talking about two tonight, and it's slightly discounted. I will say, if you buy direct from their site, their stuffs pretty expensive, but you can usually get these from retailers like Diabolic, which I think you can pre order there right now. And then Brother Belisle should get them. Atomic should get them orbit should get them, so yeah, pretty cool. This one, though, Three escaped convicts rob a gunshop and Stockholm before heading into the countryside where one of them is hidden a stash of money. They seek refuge in an old manner and take the owner's hostage, but the family that lives there proves to be both bizarre and deprayed. Soon everyone is entangled with everyone else sexually and otherwise, until all boundaries collapse and it becomes unclear who truly holds power inside the matter. This says the director. Shogorro Nishimura made eighty five Roman Peruno films for Nikatsu between nineteen seventy one and nineteen eighty seven. This is going to be newly restored and it is the first time ever that the films have been shown outside of Japan. This Blonde Animals is a featurete on here Swedish sin through the lens of Nikatsu Roman Pruno Visual essay by Johan Nordstrom. There's going to be a visual essay by Ricard Gramfers, who is the owner of Club Super. We had an image and postery gallery, theatrical trailer and then a commentary with the one and only mister Jasper Sharp, and then Johan Nordstrom's on there and Ricard Gramfer's all joined him as well. Well, stuff, I'm assuming you haven't seen this then, No, I.
Speaker 4: Have not seen any of these. I'm familiar like with them, I haven't seen any of them, though, I'll wait till all. Let's Celest weigh in on them first, and then I'll decide.
Speaker 2: The gentleman behind the two in the Pinku podcast have been pushing for these this week because supposedly they're pretty great.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 2: Next up, also on December seventeenth, on this as part of that line as Drops of Honey from nineteen seventy three. This is an atmospheric, tragic, and melodramatic story of an ice hockey player who becomes obsessed with the mysterious red haired woman with the dark secret. The hockey player Alan has problems with his frigid wife, maybe because she's stuck on the hockey rink. After a match, he has turned on by the mysterious Eva. After a night of love making, they are separated. Alan eventually ends up at a sex club where his wife is making out with his best friend. Eva performs in a live sex show wearing only a pair of enormous swan wings. Alan is enchanted by Eva begins to desperately search for her. And this is Nikatsu's profound quote Bergmann film with several ingmar Bergmann like tropes, which I okay, I have to see this, Okay, well.
Speaker 4: Now I'm definitely like, yeah, there's another. I was kind of like, yeah, okay, I'm intrigued this one. I'm like, all these just the all the things you kept listening and then ending it with Bergmann. I'm like, all right, fine, fine.
Speaker 2: All those disparate words hockey, swan, sex club. Yeah, and then Bergmann what a day? All right, and then pretty much the identical extra or some the other release. I think they all work comings at the same time. So that's nice. These look pretty good. I am eager to see them keeping it in the adult world. You can get from Ultra Flesh Lives or what is their full title, Ultra Flesh Archives. Right now, they're putting out wild Heart the Leslie Winston collection. This is a legend of the Golden Age of adult film and an Avian Hall of Fame inductee. Leslie Winston appeared in hundreds of magazines, nearly one hundred loops, films and videos during your career spanning two decades. This will be fifteen eight millimeters Super eight films transferred and restored in HD with authentic film projector sound, full running commentary by Leslie Winston herself, a photo gallery. There's going to be a bonus Leslie Winston Loop Restoration featurette The Seculent Disco Sounds of Sex rare restored vintage nudy film, four panel color inserts, double sided cover art, die cut info card with a strip of eight milimeter film included with it. There's an exclusive Leslie Winston trading card all house at a Beautiful spot, class side load sleeve and this has about three hours of footage in there. Plus if you are one of the first five hundred to order, you can get the signature edition, which is going to be signed by Leslie Winston herself.
Speaker 4: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: It is a lot.
Speaker 4: I'll wait again for Celestiowagan on this one.
Speaker 2: Fail. Celest definitely will. I love this joke. Silent Mannible's thought when I said AVN Hall of Famer, he thought, I'm at Avian like she's part red sir. Hilarious. All right, next exit proto cal from this year is coming on a BDR Blu ray on January sixth from Welgo USA or on a DVD. This is starring Dolph Lundgren Michael J. White and that cover art is not putting a lot of confidence in my soul.
Speaker 4: No moving on, but there's a trailer Erica.
Speaker 2: No, let's talk about this one because this is one of the more exciting ditions.
Speaker 4: Tell Yeah.
Speaker 2: February twenty third on Blu ray from Third Window Films over in the UK is the Angel Guts collection covering nineteen seventy nine to ninety four. We've got Angel Guts, Red Classroom, Angel Gets Nami, Angel Gets Red, Porno, Angel Gets Red, Vertigo and then Angel Gets Red. Flash is on here as like a bonus film. It was also in their Tales of Nomi collection that they put out recently. On Red Classroom, we got a new commentary by Jasper Sharp, we got a visual essay by Frankie Boboa to archival interviews with Takashie on It Not Me. We get a new commentary by Jasper Sharp, new visual essay by James Belmont, and an archival interview with Niboru Tanaka. On Red pornoe. We got a commentary by Tom Mess, another commentary by Sam Degan, an archival interview with Toshi Haru a Keita, and an archival interview with Takashi and then that bonus disc Like I said, it's a copy from that last collection, but Angel gots tell us about it.
Speaker 4: Erica, I honestly like, I have these downloaded and I can go delete them now. I got them from perfectly legal means I should back backtrack there first s, but I'm I'm gonna hold out, and I'm I can't wait. I've been meaning to watch it as they've just been like sitting on on a pile on my computer. But yeah, no, I'm super excited. All the people and Frankie Balboa is on this Sam Tom Mess like all I'm in like you got all the movies and there I'm oh wow, this is this is gonna be the announcement of the night for me. This is awesome. See, this is why I ignored your page all week so you can get a genuine reaction ont of me, so I can be like fuck that I don't care about this, Like oh hell yeah, Angel.
Speaker 2: Guts this is one. Like I'm shocked more people didn't reach out to you just say, dude, how excited are you?
Speaker 4: I mean people only reach out to me about dead kids, so you branded very well. Yeah I tried. Although Adam in the chat seems a little disconcerted about the the frequent discussion of dead children.
Speaker 2: So that's true.
Speaker 4: Sorry, guy.
Speaker 2: It's the lessons be Eric Rbigadic. It's of legal adjacent cinema. I mean the amount of times I watch PLEX and ask other people to get me films so I can edit with them. Yes, I'm not fully against it.
Speaker 4: If they were just available everywhere and people weren't like gatekeeping them and saying like, oh, just you know you can't have them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, if they're just easier to have movies, then I wouldn't have to, you know, go roundabout ways. But anyway, Bank this is exciting too.
Speaker 2: It is, and it's kind of an interesting one to dive into here. So February ninth, Hammer over in the UK is releasing the film Crve the Banshee from nineteen seventy on four KM blu ray. Now what's interesting This is not a Hammer film. This is a film being released by Hammer, not a Hammer film, starring Vincent Price and it is one of Gordon Hesler and Chris Wickings acclaimed run of films for aip UK. This has been painstakingly restored by Hammer and four K from the original negatives. We are going to have the original director's cut in both widescreen and full frame aspect ratios and AIPS re edited theatrical version, alongside new and archival materials. We had a new commentary by Chris Alexander, new interview with Kim Newman, our crivial interview with the director Gordon Hessler. And then we need to talk about too, the fact that we've got a brand new line to talk about. So this is Hammer Presents. This is the first title in Hammer Presents. And they have just by what they're doing and like what they've funded for their restoration work and all that, they've acquired a bunch of other catalogs and they can't just release those under the name of Hammer because they're not Hammer Films. So we have Hammer Presents. Every title in the Hammer Presents collection will be sourced from brand new HD restorations by award winning partner Silver Salt Restoration. I kind of like that they are telling us who is doing the restoration work. You've got a name associated with it. Most companies do not say that they are going to ensure that they're consistently at exceptional standards for what they're releasing. Audio is carefully clean, visual detail from the original film materials is preserved always. Each edition will also feature a focused set of special features designed to illuminate the film's history, craft, and cultural impact, giving context for all of their releases. This will continue with future releases spanning folk core, gothic terror, psychological thrillers, and cult classics from across British horror specifically. And then they they announced a second release coming soon will be a Blu ray only released not four K of the incredibly strange and unsettling Crucible of Horror. So you got something else looked for? Cry the Banshee tell us about it.
Speaker 4: I'm very excited. Well, I like Cry of the Banchee. I'm not like, oh, like you know, must own, but the fact that it's being presented by Hammer and all of this, Like, have you bought any of the Hammers released?
Speaker 2: I I will say the one Curse of the Vampire that they did and Warner Archive did. I opted for the Warner one or the Hammer One Blown Away. The amount of attention into everything is astonishing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like so we have three soon to be four after Christmas, that's okay. John won't watch us, he won't know. But those have been just nominal releases, like It's It's It's It's a hefty price tag for one movie, but the amount that goes into that, and you know, just the book that goes in all of it, it's just amazing. Like I think the quator Mess one he had also had like three different versions of something I don't remember. I don't have them next to me, but I would have come more prepared if I knew, like this was in the announcements tonight. But yeah, John, who keeps getting mentioned is my partner. So the I'm excited about this. I'm excited about this Hammer presents and that they're not just doing their own films and that, and I hope Kim Newman is on every single release, just like Frank Jang should be on every single Hong Kong release in some capacity, then I would I think Kim Newman should be on all these.
Speaker 2: So I agree anything British Kim Newman should be on for sure.
Speaker 4: Anything I could listen to talk about any movie. I just reu watched Slash listen to Candy Man with Kim Newman and I can't remember who else did the commentary with. And I mean, man, if I could just like, I would just love to just sit down and talk to him. I'm like Kim Newman, if you ever just need someone that you can just yap at during a commentary, I probably won't off I won't be able to offer very much, but I would love to just sit and listen to you talk about this movie?
Speaker 2: Was that one with Rigby as well? On Candy Man? I think or Jonathan or Kevin Lyons?
Speaker 4: Maybe I think it was Kevin Lyons. I don't think it was Rigby.
Speaker 2: Brandon is asking was Cruciple of Horror in the vs? Cruel Britannia set no very similarly name titled that is a Crucible of Terror, not Crucible of Horror? Get your crucible straight, Brandon? Just kidding, Yeah, different movie entirely, so, yeah, you're not double dipping if you're after this one. I love this, like, I don't know if this is a compliment or not. Adam says, Kim can talk. Kim can talk, and my favorite thing if you get him on a film that he not even loves, because Kim loves a lot of movies, but if you get him on one that he is enamored with, like put him in a room and say, what can you tell me about Let's talk Jessica or let's scare Jessica to death. You'll be in there. He'll talk you to death. That is one of the movies, all right. Next up is the brand new film that Eric is probably dying to see. January twentieth four K and Blu ray here in the US from twentieth Century aka Disney of Springsteen Deliver Me from Nowhere, starring Jeremy Allen White. Bonus features on this. They've got a four act documentary called The Liner Notes Making Springsteen Deliver Me from Nowhere. It's got just four This seems lazy. It's just four featurettes put into one documentary, So not not much there. This movie is bad. Don't feel bad.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: Instead, let's talk about nicod Embish. January thirteenth, Music Box Films putting out a Blu ray and DVD of Naked Ambition from twenty twenty three. This is about Bunny Yeger Bunny was a trailblazer who's work bucked against conservative nineteen fifties America and helped pave the way for the feminist movement and the sexual revolution. Yet the very changes that she helped usher in would soon render her forgotten relic until now I've heard this is really great. This has pieces with Betty Page, who Hefner, Larry King, a bunch of people that were involved in the scene, like diedemon Tees, Bruce Weber or sorry, Diedevon Tess. I don't know why I said Diedevon Tees. Yeah, there is a lot here.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen it, but I'm interested.
Speaker 2: All right? Next up, are you not watch anime? I don't think I've ever heard you talk about may much. That's what I thought. February twenty fourth, we got a blu Ray steal book in the US coming from Sentai of two point five dimensional Seduction. I don't know if that's how you say it, two and a half two dot five, who knows. From twenty twenty four you can order that now. It's got four swappable magnetic covers. If you want to personalize your steel.
Speaker 4: Book, I'm good someone's gonna come for you. From mispronouncing Mike whatever, you just misprote Oh those animate kids, man, they're vicious definitely.
Speaker 2: But now, oh go on, tell us why you adore Eli Roth?
Speaker 4: I fucking hate that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah? What is it? A brand new VHS of Cabin Fever?
Speaker 4: Why nobody wants this? Nobody? Nobody cares? Go away, Eli Roth? Stop talking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love how this says. What's included? A special edition VHS copy of the original unrated film. That's it, So check it out if you want thirty dollars when you can get I believe the original VHS of this was like probably like eleven dollars on eBay last week.
Speaker 4: If that people should never mind. Yeah, see Adam knows. Yeah, let's skip this one. Nobody cares.
Speaker 2: Somebody cares about vhs. It's not me.
Speaker 4: I mean I have like a few vhs. I have like five or six vhs. I told Will this in when he was in your stream last time. I sent him a message and I was like, hey, I've got vibrations on VHS. It's one of the few vhs I have. I have that in my original fun George Lucas fucked with Star Wars trilogy. I have those that's it, and a couple of like just random vhs owned a few big box ones like I got one Emmanuel Big Box and The Devil and Miss Jones and I can't remember see no one cares about vhs. I don't care about my own collection. Let's go.
Speaker 2: That's really funny. And I should say I care about a lot of the vhs, not not so much new releases of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, especially what is Eli Roth? No one cares about.
Speaker 2: My Wroth second site on February twenty third, releasing a deluxe four K box set and then a standard Blu ray and four K of The Ugly Stepsister February twenty third, Brandy twenty twenty five film. I really want to know did you get a chance to see this one?
Speaker 4: I like how you frame it as did you get a chance to see this as if like I rush out to go see new movies. Well, unless somebody tells me that there's a dead kidnet.
Speaker 2: No kid, But I truly think this would be up your alley. This is a body horror version of Cinderella done in a very unique way. Okay, it is truly great, look you think about it.
Speaker 4: I'm not showing out money for this, but I'm okay, well, Celeste, all right, I'll think about I'll think about watching it, but I'm not paying money for it.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, So this is gonna be if you buy the deluxe four K box that you get the four K disc and the Blu ray disc. We've got a new audio commentary with the director and with filmmaker Patrick siverson the director is Emily Bitchfeldt. I think that's that's probably wrong. I have to say that. Let me see, Yeah, it's already wrong. I shouldn't have said that it's blitchfeld there's an l in there. Then we got a new commentary by Megan Navarro, who is great, glad to see her on a release, new interview with the director, a new interview with one of the actors, sorry, a couple of the actors, a new interview with one of the effects artists. We've got the Effects of the Ugly step Sister, Kat Hughes speaking on the Ugly Stepsister, some short films. I love that they're doing that. And then a booklet in this with writing by a bunch of great people. Bj Colangelo, Michelle Kisner, Kimberly Lezak, Jeline Marie Richardson, Katie Rife, and Amber.
Speaker 4: T Okay, Well, Michelle's in there, so that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like most of these people great looking. Really I need this tomorrow. I'm curious what you're gonna say about Gilmore Girls the Complete series, you know what?
Speaker 4: All Right, So every time someone brings up Gilmore Girls, they're like, oh, Erica, you must love this show, right, And I'm like, I've never seen it. They're like, you've never seen Gilmore I'm like, no, I've never seen Gilmore Girls. Like what about this show? Would you think like I would go out of my way to walk?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: And they're like oh, but they're like, you know, snarky and witty, like you know, I'm like, that doesn't I don't want to watch myself, Like I don't even like that. I'm here, like that I could, I'm here, I could see myself like there. I don't like this.
Speaker 2: So May fifth, uh May fifth. Warner Brothers is releasing Gilmore Girls the Complete Series on Blu Ray for the first time anywhere, and a lot of people are very happy about that. There will be twenty eight discs and there it will be around one hundred and forty dollars at retail. It'll probably go down some after that, of course. And if you want another TV show, you've got January twentieth, Lucifer the Complete Series coming on Blu Ray for the first time as a complete set. We'll have twenty two discs and also be around one hundred and forty bucks.
Speaker 4: I have never even heard of that show.
Speaker 2: I don't think I had either. January twenty seven, the Blu Ray released, coming from Universal of The Thing with Feathers from this year. This is starring Benedict Cumberbatch and it is about Benedict Cumberbatch's character being left alone to raise his two young sons after his wife is killed in an accident. And this is if you have been against the like A twenty four and horror versions of Trauma the movie, this is literally just pure Trauma the movie How to deal with Grief. That being said, there is some pretty cool creature effects on this. I didn't love the movie, but there is a giant crow in this movie and they do some pretty cool things with that. It's got some creepy imagery.
Speaker 4: Is that what is on his face is that like.
Speaker 2: It is meant to be like surrealist imagery in a way. Okay, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Literally scratched my screen because I thought there was something on it.
Speaker 2: Nope, your screen is fine. Here we go. This April third is really cool. We're getting a four K release from the band themselves of The Warning live from the Auditorio Nacional in Mexico City from twenty twenty five. This is a band that I've heard a few times. That is great and I'd be curious to see this. Probably will not get this myself, but you got twenty five tracks, all recording, four K plus behind the scenes documentary and alternative music videos. Are you into any of these concert films on Blu ray or four K? Right now? Ryan, come on, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 4: Sorry, what was your best?
Speaker 2: It's all right, let's talk about animes April fourteenth. There's a Blu ray coming from g Kids of Colorful Stage, the movie A Miku Who Can't Sing from twenty twenty five. You've got twenty after show concerts, unit two D music videos, non credits openings whatever. All those means. I don't know anything about this. Enjoy I'm going to the next one.
Speaker 4: Good for people who are fans.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, the big controversy of the last twenty four hours. Imprint Films in Australia has announced that they are changing their release for Halloween one through five, four case steel books that were coming in that pumpkin holder set that was supposed to light up and so. Their statement here says, it has been a long road to Halloween one through five, with our planned October release pushed out to December due to manufacturing delays and then many challenges along the way. Unfortunately, we have found a manufacturing flaw at the final stages of shipping with our limited edition Jack O Lantern packaging. This has led us to cancel distribution of this release at all. The unacceptable structural defect compromise the integrity of the pumpkin packaging only and in no way affects the discs or the steel books themselves. This discussion or sorry, this decision has not been made lightly, but ultimately, as the packaging did not pass our rigorous quality standards, we cannot allow it to market in good conscience. Despite the setback, we are pleased to be reimagining the collection with this a brand new, limited editional steel book library packaging. They will be housing those in that it will also be limited to two thousand like this first release, and it will ship in get this mid May twenty twenty six. For a release that people pre ordered this summer, was scheduled to come out in October, got pushed back till December. Now they are not coming until May of twenty twenty six. That is a huge delay. They say, just to come out October of twenty twenty five. Ooh yeah, and the first delay pushed it to supposed to be this week. So we'll talk about the behind the scenes details behind that in a second. They say, to our loyal online customers, thank you for your patients on this journey. We sincerely apologize for the significant delays and last minute pivotal plans. You've all been emailed directly and have been given the option to receive the newly repackaged limited edition Steel Book Library collection with a partial refund, or you can get a full refund, so they're giving you they're giving you options. There at least any refunded units will become available for the wider public to pre order in January, once the needs of our existing customers have all been served. And here is a picture of that Steel Book Library that they are now releasing with all five of the first five Halloween films housed in this steel book library. So yes, originally announced as coming in the back of a pumpkin that lights up, now it is coming in a steel book library collection that You've seen a handful of these out there, I'm sure this is. This is lit the boutique blu Ray industry community online on fire essentially. So the big things here. The refund they're offering people is fifty dollars Australian to go from the light up pumpkin to house them to this which in US money thirty three dollars. That's the refund that they're offering, or you can get a full refund. So I like the options. However, I would say thirty three dollars US is way not enough for a change like this. I think it should have been probably more than double that.
Speaker 4: Did they have like a mogup of what the pumpkin was supposed to look like, I'm curious, you don't know, fee.
Speaker 2: Like they did it was a literal picture of like a spirit Halloween esque plastic pumpkin, and then on the back was just like this steel book library, like five slots in the back of a pumpkin to hold the five steel books, and it had a little switch on the cord to light it up while it's sitting on your shelf, so.
Speaker 4: You put the discs in the pumpkins butt essentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yes, this was due out in October a couple months ago, got delayed to December. And now here's where it starts to sting for some of these people that really wanted the pumpkin thing. They sent out emails this week saying we've received the pumpkins and we're getting ready to pack these out. You'll be receiving shipping in the next few days, and then out of nowhere, yesterday they sent out this notice on social media, started emailing people and said it has been canceled and this is what we're changing it to. So the original release of this was five hundred Australian dollars, which in US money like three three twenty something like that. Not after five hundred five hundred Australian still yeah, and so now four hundred and fifty Australian for this library collection. No, immediately, it's quite expensive.
Speaker 4: I'm good, I'll keep I still have my Halloween DVD. I'm good.
Speaker 2: There's a lot here. I imagine most people will choose to refund fully. The partial refund is kind of crazy. I have a feeling that it's not as nefarious as some people are making it out. To me, the number of times I've seen somebody say the word's bait and switch over the last twenty four hours that clearly don't know what bait and switch means has been through the roof. That being said, the fact that they actually received them and then found the problem. I'm not going to say I sympathize necessarily with the pricing and all that stuff. I do, on one hand, feel awful about Imprint because they are going to take a huge bath on this no matter what. They're about to lose a ton of money.
Speaker 4: So they have the pumpkins, but they're not going to ship them in. The pumpkins, yes.
Speaker 2: It to me, it sounds like they are probably gonna crumble as they get shipped out to people like they they It's probably that the walls of the pumpkin itself are not sturdy enough to literally hold steel, which you probably should have figured that out before you went to the process of producing them.
Speaker 4: They should sell them at like some Australian you know, con or something like that get their money back. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: So anyways, I feel for everybody that really wanted this and aren't going to get it. I feel for Imprint in the fact that they're going to lose a lot of money. That being said, there's been a lot of problems throughout this entire thing and it's a mess. And no matter what side that you are hoping for the outcome to be, this all this all stinks. And I'm sorry silent fists with Blu rays genus Speaking of bait and switch. Wasn't the television secret title supposed to be to de listed after alloway? Now it's back up even though we know what it is? Right? Am I wrong about something? I didn't know it was back up on their website. You're right. It was supposed to be delisted and it was supposed to be up with some third party retailers. Only you know they did change their website. I wonder if it's accidentally has anybody told them that it's listed. They might not even know who?
Speaker 4: Wait, what is it the secret title?
Speaker 2: Well, for anybody that doesn't want to know what the Terror Vision secret title is, could maybe it's still coming. I can.
Speaker 4: We'll look it up. If you don't want to like you for the.
Speaker 2: Next ten seconds, that's it because it's not a big deal. So it is Dark Harvest from nineteen ninety two, the SOOV film that Inner Vision had released on DVD. Okay, we did have a special feature on the disc, so go get it if you don't have it yet. All right. That is the steel book debacle of the week. Next up, February twenty third. Speaking of steel books, the BBC in the UK is releasing a steel book of the War between the Land and the Sea Season one, which is a Doctor Who's spinoff, which means I have a feeling you've never seen it, never.
Speaker 4: Will I don't say that. What is it called?
Speaker 2: It is called the War between the Land and the Sea? It is a Doctor Who spin off series.
Speaker 4: Hold the War between the what's it in the Land and the Sea? Yeah, it's about the sea devils from the Third Doctors era?
Speaker 2: But no, I haven't watched it.
Speaker 4: See look for.
Speaker 2: Thanks John, Hey, that's the job that everybody was asking about the uh. Next up, David Lynch is The Straight Story getting a four K release over in the UK from Studio Canal. Uh, this is coming on February ninth. And now this had been released this exact same package and all that by Studio Canal, but in Germany, and something must have happened and they couldn't release in the UK yet, and now they are. This is a wonderful movie. Any thoughts on straight story?
Speaker 4: I love Richard Farnsworth. Ah, yeah, I don't know if i'd want to Yeah, I'd probably want to own this maybe. Anyway, if you haven't seen it, you should watch it, folks.
Speaker 2: This is probably the most, like I probably shouldn't say, probably, this is the most underrated David Lynch film by far. Everybody harps on so many of the other ones, and this gets forgotten quite often.
Speaker 4: I forget sometimes too that it's David Lynch. But yeah it is. It's a great movie.
Speaker 2: Celeste asking is this a big deal because it's Disney. It's not Disney in the UK or Germany. I think Disney only owns the rights to this in the US. Actually, So that's the big deal here, I guess is if you want this and you want everything in English, this is the way to get it, and not the German release because Criterion probably can't release this here in the US because of Disney, although who knows, Disney could surprise, but that is unlikely. All right, Next up Arrow announcements today. This is rare. Usually we get Will to discuss Aaro announcements and we get Erica this month March second, we get a Blu ray release over in the UK of Calvert from two thousand and four. Have you seen this one?
Speaker 4: I have not.
Speaker 2: This is this is a rough one and I hope people check us out because this movie is pretty great French. It's early on in the New French extremity era, so some people coun't it, some people don't. It's there's some people that are you know how people get kind of territorial about that that term. This one says a terrifying, darkly comic tale that drew comparisons to Deliverance, straw Dogs and the Texas Chainsaw Masacre.
Speaker 4: Well, I so.
Speaker 2: Right, gripping, utterly involving thriller that will put you through the ringer. This has an archival commentary by the director. We got an archival commentary by the director of the production. Does new commentary by bj and Harmony Clangelo. Introduction by the director we got a twenty three and two thousand and five archival interviews with the director, new appreciation by Whitney Caitlin McLay, who is great. We've got archival making a featurette. There is storyboarding, all that other stuff, some short films, and then a collector's book with new writing by Anton Mattel Simon what is that last name? Hobbs, Cerice Howard, and Alexandra Heller Nicholas, who's on pretty much every release. Yeah, Calvert is great.
Speaker 4: It doesn't seem just from the comments, it doesn't sound like a rewatchable movie very much. So yeah, like Dustin said, so library, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That probably makes sense for you. Then another one that's quite tense, nineteen seventy seven's Black Sunday coming up March ninth on Blu Ray in the UK. This had been released previously but not in the UK, so is coming Robert Shaw film. Any thoughts on this one since we've covered this one before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like this one a lot. Actually it's Frankenheimer, right, yes, Mack, Yeah, I like this one. I think my I think I actually covered this on my old podcast, the one that I wiped from the internet.
Speaker 2: But right, yeah, it's a good movie. Not a lot of people talk about this one quite tense like this one. All right. March sixteenth, Arrow is releasing a four K of Spaceballs over in the UK. Only don't forget Keno has already released this on four K here in the US. That being said, I do like that they literally titled this on the cover Spaceballs the UHD and then when you when you zoom in on the postcards, it says Spaceball is the Postcard. That being said, there's no new extras on this and no booklet, which is really rare for Arrow, so they kind of just licensed everything and put it out there. But Keino on their four K release they had a couple of lines of dialogue that we're missing the audio, and supposedly Arrow has fixed everything. So I think, you know, if you love this movie and you don't have the Keno, this is definitely the way to go. If you really love this movie and you want to fix what you got and sell yours off, you still might want to get this to replace it. But yeah, Spaseball, it's a great movie. Love it.
Speaker 4: Ero can't fix everything. Ryan, just you know.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about more stuff than they.
Speaker 4: I'm just no, I'm just saying like in general, you know, like therapy is more helpful.
Speaker 2: I mean, it depends on the person. You gotta be open to that. Okay, speaking of things, that Arrow Is Fixed coming on March thirtieth, four K and Blu ray release over in the UK of Hard Boiled. First, I know not everybody's into it, but I love this Tony Stella art.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: I think this is a pretty big improvement over the bright green, chow yun fat art that we've got in the US. This is going to include this double sided poster with the original and new art by Tony Stella, collector's book with new writing on the film by Priscilla Page, and some archival writing and an interview with John Wu. We've got all the same extras that were on the Shout release, so you're not missing anything if you did not get the Shout release and you want this one. But this does have a couple extra archival extras that were not on the Shout release. Now, the other big thing, this has brand new subtitles. These Shout subtitles are reviewed as not very good and these are going to be much better. And then I got confirmation from Brandon Bentley, who works on a lot of the Hong Kong releases for Shout and Arrow and all these other companies, that he fixed some of his own things and some other stuff that slipped by on the Shout release, And so there's going to be like, if you want the perfect version of this, this is going to be the closest to that. He did some audio tweaks, he did some other stuff behind the scenes, so this is going to be the same scam, but some things might be ever so slightly different, probably not enough for you to worry about. But if you did not get the Shout, this is by far the one to get.
Speaker 4: I did not get it, and I think because I think a lot of people in the discord said that they thought it was coming from somebody else.
Speaker 2: So it is. It's still coming from Imprint in Australia, and then it is also coming from that Italian company, the Masters, I believe is what they're called. And then Carlata and France is also releasing it. There's a lot of releases.
Speaker 4: Of Hard Boiled coming, Well let's get this one.
Speaker 2: It's the best choice. And I should not have clicked where I just clicked next one is broken red Sonia getting a four K release here in the US from aerow. This was released in the UK by Studio Canal with a horrendous transfer. Supposedly this fixes all of that and it is much much better. We got a new commentary by somebody we just mentioned, Eugenie or Kalani and Troy Howard. New commentary with the comic book expert Dave Baxter. New interview with the actor Ernie Rayes Junior. New interview with the action unit supervisor Vic Armstrong, new interview with Schwarzenegger's stunt double, new interview with a stuntman, new interview with the assistant production manager, new intern of the Xbox artist. There's all kinds of stuff. This is a stacked, stacked, stacked release. There is also going to be on here making a Misunderstanding archival interview with the assistant director, and then a Collector's Perfect Band booklet with new writing on the film by John Walsh, Nanni Cobretti, and Barry Forshaw. Are you a red Sonia.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've seen it since I was a kid. I didn't immediately get excited learning about this, so I'm good, right, I mean, yeah, I know, I think a lot of people would love to own this, but I don't think I need to. I'm good.
Speaker 2: I get that immensely. How about Corey Feldman's movie The Birthday from two thousand and four. March sixteenth in the UK March seventeenth in North America. You get a four K or a Blu Ray release of two thousand and four's The Birthday. This has been unreleased for nearly twenty years. The Birthday has achieved near mythic status among a cult film enthusiast. Shot on a single, meticulously designed location, Eugenio Mira's deliriously offbeat dark comedy offers a career best turn from Corey Feldman, playing wildly against type, this is rediscovered at last. The Birthday blends screwball comedy, cosmic horror, and feverish style into an unforgettable cinematic experience restored from the original Negative Arrow is proud to present the one of a kind descent into madness in the release It's always Deserved. This has an audio commentary by Corey Feldman and the director Eugenio Mira. A new interview with Mira shot exclusively for this release. There is going to be an in depth breakdown of a scene from the film by Mira, featuring archival behind the scenes footage, storyboards and rushes. You and a from twenty twenty four with Corey Feldman, a mirror from the film's twentieth anniversary screening Fantastic Fest in Austin, then a collector's book with new writing on the film by Brian Reeseman. Are you super into this?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I think you got a spammer in the chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah I do, but nobody's watching on Twitch, so we're cool.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I am not into this at all. I am mildly intrigued by the thought of a Corey Feldman commentary because I feel like that would be hilarious. But no, I don't have any interest in this.
Speaker 2: I get it, I get it. I'm not super stoked either, all right, One, I am stoked for coming out March thirtieth in the UK, March thirty first here in North America, Blu Ray release of the Samurai Revolution trilogy. This is from nineteen sixty three, nineteen sixty four, nineteen six seven. Have you seen one or all of these?
Speaker 5: I have not.
Speaker 4: No, I think these are ones that I've been wanting to see as well, so be happy to see them in this form. I actually have these on DVD. I don't know, but this is exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is very exciting films that need more attention. We've got thirteen Assassins, We've got The Great Killing, We've got eleven Samurai. Thirteen Assassins is a new commentary by Tom mess new visual essay by music supervisor Japanese cinema expert James Belmont on the legendary composer at kira if ukubs scored for the film. Archival interview on this one part one, and then the second part of that is on the second disc, we've got a new commentary by David West on The Great Killing, and then a new visual essay by Dix K. Miao on the cinematography scene in the film. And then Disc three, which is Levin Samurai, new commentary by David West, new visual essay by Jonathan Clements, and then the third part of that interview and an archival interview that's glue to their Yeah, this is this was a huge must for me.
Speaker 4: It's exciting.
Speaker 2: It says, each film portrays a group of honorable Samurai driven to plan the political assassination of a corrupt lord hoping to light the fuse that will eventually destroy the regime. Yes, please, it sounds like the films that we need right now. Next a big one March thirtieth in the UK. March thirty first here in North America, a four K release of Salem's Lot nineteen seventy nine. Salem's Lot. The big thing is this has both the original two part mini series and the shorter theatrical cut that was distributed internationally, so you can watch it as if it was on TV, or you can watch the one that screened in theaters, and it's in four K for both of them. This is going to have a collector's perfect band bucklet with new writing by Sean Abley, Sorcha nith Jon and Richard Cadre, plus select archival material including interviews with Toby Hooper and some more. We've got the on the original TV mini series version. There's two modes. You've got played as the mini series, as two parts, as for the original broadcast, or as one extended movie. And so the original broadcast will have the piece that came in the middle with the title screen and all that stuff, or you can watch the full extended version. New commentary on this one by Bill Ackerman, who was in the chat earlier, and Amanda Reya is eager to hear that we've got archival commentary by Hooper himself, and then alternate TV footage with commercial bumpers, and the original broadcast version of the Antler's Death. There is going to be a second disc here of the theatrical version. New commentary here by Chris Alexander from Delirium and Full Moon and all that. A new interview with Stephen King, biographer Douglas Winter, new appreciation by Great Grady Hendrix, new interview with Mick Garris on here. New featurette looking at the locations of Salem's Lot today. New featurette with Heather Wixon, and then the new featurette with film critics Joe Lipsett and Trace Thurman, who are both the co hosts of the podcast Horror Queers Salem's Lot. How do you feel about that one? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think this this is a long overdue release. I know, I'm excited for Amanda and Bill. This is huge. I feel like she might have mentioned this to me a while ago, but anyway, I forgot about it. But yeah, I mean, Reggie and Alder is amazing as Barlow in this. It's not my favorite King adaptation or even like Vampire Movie, but I mean this seems stacked and it's got like both versions in there. I think it'd be cool if like the televised version had like all the commercials in it too that stuff, But I know that's like, you know, unlikely, but yeah, I mean this looks like a great release, So this is probably something i'd wait to pick up on sale. And yeah, like somebody call will for a Toby Hooper release.
Speaker 2: You know, I didn't want to say it. Well, and he did. I'm dangerous tonight for Keno years ago. Anything that comes out brand new with with Toby Hooper, the people that literally wrote the book on Toby Hooper should be on the release. I know it's biased for me to call for it, but come on, it's it's what it's the right thing to do. Like if you google Toby Hooper academic, that's they're coming up.
Speaker 4: Come on, Yeah, with his luck, they'll give them gin.
Speaker 2: Honestly, he'd probably love to talk about it.
Speaker 4: Like for me, I would just be like, really, you're gonna give me that one, you know, of course.
Speaker 2: All right. Next, we've got a few compilations that were quietly revealed coming from more Archive today. Now, reminder, these are all the same discs that were released previously. You're getting the full disc for each film. You're not losing any features or anything. It's just that the films have made their money and now they're packaging these together to try to get them to you so that they can save you a little bit and hopefully they can sell more titles. So this first one, February seventeenth, is a four film collection of fred Astaire. You've got the Bandwagon, Silk Stockings, You've got Easter Parade, and then the last one is Finian's Rainbow. I don't think I've seen any of these, not seen many Freda Staire films for the most part. I think I've only seen a couple same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not a Muspi for me, I get it. And then the other one is a Spencer Tracy collection. It's coming on the same day. This one has Fury, Bad Day at black Rock, Libeled Lady, and Northwest Passage. I think I've probably seen more in Spencer Tracy films, but I don't think I've seen any of these four Bad Day of black Rock is.
Speaker 4: I think the only one I've seen. Not movies amazing, nice, but I don't I might have seen Fury, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We got one more collection, but first we got to talk about this nature doc on January thirteenth. There's a blu ray coming from Giant of a double feature. Here we got the American Southwest and Borderlands Jaguar. If you are into nature docs, supposedly these are actually pretty good. This looks interesting. I like nature stuff.
Speaker 4: You know what this is a big miss of though, is you know they did not do the documentary Sex and the Animals. That is a joke only for unsung WRORS listeners. Sorry, but maybe someday if you want to know how turkeys get down, Sex and the Animals.
Speaker 2: Sex and the Animals. All right, let's talk about vinegar Syndrome, and then we'll go back to Warner stuff after Vinegar Syndrome. Subscriber Week is coming starting on January first, and they released all kinds of information about it today, so we got a kind of a bit to cover here. This is going to run a seven day period. New stuff dropping at twelve oh one pm. Eastern, so you don't have to stay up late every night to see the new stuff. It is gonna run all the way through January seventh, at eleventh nine pm Eastern, so it'll be done kind of early on that last day. That way doesn't go into the eighth day. The new releases and daily deals will always happen at noon Eastern. Like I said, this year's Subscriber Week will bring to you three new VS titles, one VSU one VSL two exciting new releases from Cinematograph. Two releases from a new line called Iconoscope. It's another sub label that you will have to purchase if you are a subscriber. One new Pink line release, and then twenty five partner label releases. How how do you feel about that much coming out?
Speaker 4: That's too much? I can't even like, I can't even remember when, like can't I can't even keep straight, like Vinegerson Jerome, and then VSLVSA vs.
Speaker 1: P.
Speaker 4: I don't fucking even I can't even keep them all straight. And then on top of that, there's all the partner label and now they're adding a new one, and then there's all stuff on Melusine. It's a lot.
Speaker 2: It is quite a bit. Yeah, the Iconoscope thing, we don't know exactly what it is, but it is named after an old TV or a TV brand, And in their email that they sent out today they have teased a couple made for TV things, So it seems like Iconoscope is probably going to be focused on TV if That's what I'm guessing.
Speaker 4: Okay, So just to.
Speaker 2: Read what was in their email today that is not listed here, it says this year, look forward to a genre bending four K debut from VSU, a nineteen seventies New Hollywood masterpiece that is sorry and in a nineteen eighties classic, both from Cinematograph. Then you get a fifties monster deep cut from VSL and then the next in the Sado series from Pink Line in collaboration with Melou Scene of course, and then the debut duo from our latest sub labeled Icotoscope, which will bring to four K a seventies horror TV movie classic along with a Blu ray collection of a nineteen fifties horror series. Okay, the sub labels are a lot, Yeah, totally get it. But that being said, more of this being preserved on physical media. I'm always four So I can't really fault it too much. It's just a whole lot to release. It's especially a lot to release in one day. The rest of the year, at least here it's spread out seven days, and some of them will get some other love. But man, that first day, right at noon eastern, there's like twenty what is it, twenty twenty five, twenty eight, twenty nine brand new releases and then like new merch and everything all popping up on their site at once.
Speaker 4: Yeah. See, and this is like, you know, getting back to what we were talking about earlier, Like I just I and I know partner label stuff isn't included. Nothing even outside of vinegar Syndrome proper is ingraded. So to me, it's just it's I'd rather just sort of pick and choose for myself. And yes, like when I had the subscription, having the discount on everything else was fine, but it's like I could just get that at one of the sales in six months or when I want to, and if it's something that I really really want and it's selling out, then yeah, I'll pay full price for it. That's fine. I don't know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, let's see, I talked about the VS releases for this one, we don't need ten thousand sub labels, says Josh. I mean, I agree, but if this is the only way they're going to release it, which of course they can't throw all that in the subscription because it would be very expensive on top of the already expensive subscription. So yeah, we'll talk about the price in just a minute, and then let's see mister whateverism is asking will I subscribe? I had had it in my mind that I was not going to subscribe all year, and then I started realizing how much more interested I was in the partner label stuff. And the reality is, if you are if you are crazy, and if you're buying like not even just partner labels, but say five five things every month that are sub labels, Malu Scene or partner labels, all of a sudden, the discounts alone that you're getting makes the subscription like almost borderline free, Like you're getting all of the VS titles as an addition to what you're already getting the discounted stuff. Yeah, so with this many partner labels, I mean, we're gonna talk about it a second. But they say they I've not counted a long time. They just said they have over forty partner labels.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, I mean for me, it's a matter of like, is this a movie that I'm going to watch more than once? I I rarely. I don't think I own I actually own any documentaries that aren't special features on a feature film disc because I tend to just watch documentaries once. But you know, when it comes to yeah, the discount is it's nice. But at the same time, I just spending that amount of money up front, like I just I don't know, I'm not going to.
Speaker 2: I get that. I totally get the people that are out, and we'll talk about some things that make a lot of people probably more going to be out than usual this time because they're changing some things up. But the other thing that made me consider that I might actually do it this year and this is this is dumb and you can't do it now. So I feel terrible bringing it up now. But I got really lucky and found out through another site that PayPal was offering a deal where if you did a pay later option where it's like PayPal paying for or their pay down the road like credit option whatever, they were giving you twenty five percent back in rewards up to fifteen hundred dollars for a purchase. So if you paid up to fifteen hundred dollars, you could get twenty five percent of that back in essentially cash, because it just goes into your PayPal account. And the cool thing is you don't ever have to like get interest, you don't have to get a credit check or anything like that. So I did it just enough to cover the subscription, and now I'm getting like two hundred or two hundred and twenty five dollars off of the subscription costs essentially.
Speaker 4: Wait, I've already done it for this coming here.
Speaker 2: I did it because I bought us. I used the PayPal thing that they were saying to buy Vinegar Syndrome gift cards. So now I've got enough in credit to purchase the subscription and I'm getting like two hundred fifty dollars back.
Speaker 4: Okay, So you use the PayPal thing for give, You're going to use that to buy this? Okay? I thought you had already bought the subscription. I was like, how'd you do that? Are you future?
Speaker 2: I bought the credit to be able to do it. I'm sorry, celest it is a past deal. I didn't know that I could trust it until I tried it, and by the time that the rewards appeared to my account, it had already expired, or I would have shared it with everybody. But I feel quite lucky that it worked out, and so yeah, I just got a pretty decent discount on it all right. Going out to talk about some of their changes and stuff, they say, as long as you have an unfulfilled subscriber week order on the site, you can add to it for free up until it ships out. So they've got order stacking like they always do. They will have that add to my existing order. So if you go on there every day and you want something else, you don't have to pay shipping again or even once if you buy enough on that first time. They will start shipping orders on January twelfth. Vinegar Centrome is one of the only ones that are like on top of the production wise, you're not pre ordering super far in advance. A lot of the stuff the people bought for December shipped literally within like three days, so they're they're going a little bit quicker during this and then that'll be shipping throughout the end of January. So don't get too riled up if it hasn't shipped yet, but they have changed something. So, yes, you still get fifty percent off of all of the partner labels, all the mal you've seen, all of the sub labels, all of the Command Cinema stuff, everything there. You also get your order shipped first after the sales and after the pre orders for the month. But this is where something started to change. They no longer have three different packages for US, Canada and international. It is one price and they're just charging a different price for shipping. So if you're in the US, standard shipping is free. It's included in the base price. Canadians, you will pay one hundred and forty dollars for shipping. Internationally, outside of that, two hundred twenty dollars for shipping, and the price for subscribing this year one thousand, ninety five dollars, and if you are a Pass subscriber, you're going to get a coupon for one hundred dollars off of that price overall, so it'll be nine to ninety five. If you're a US resident. Yeah, I'm good, but this is where it starts to get a little weird. If you're asking me, which I don't know, if you will to keep our sub numbers around the sweet spot for operations in the warehouse. We will be capping the number of subscribers to two thousand customers. If you are a subscriber in twenty twenty five, you will be guaranteed a spot if you want it. But they are locking it off at two thousand. Now to me, that sounds like they're trying to institute some fomo on the subscriptions, which is crazy on a thousand plus dollar purchase.
Speaker 4: So they didn't have a cap on it before, it.
Speaker 2: Was not capped before, and now they're saying it is limited to only two thousand customers that can subscribe worldwide. That's it. And so imagine, and I'm not saying this is going to happen, but on day five of subscriber Week they come out and say, by the way, subscriptions are selling fast, we have less than three hundred subscriptions left. Somebody out there is going to go, oh, if I was even like teetering on the line, maybe I want to do this, and they're going to go talk somebody.
Speaker 4: To do it. Yeah, yeah, No, I think that's definitely creating some fomo like that. That sort of marketing does get to people. It's not going to get to me because you know, I'm going to take one look at my bank account and be like, sorry, someone asked, do you have to pay? Is it you have to pay taxes on the subscription?
Speaker 2: You do have to pay taxes. This is something that you know, it's not food, it's not I know there's some states where clothing is free. No, you got to pay taxes on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, so let's asked about worth making their video this year. I mean I think it. I think that video is worth it because I actually sort of took a page from that and did that myself this year and really looked at, Okay, what were all the releases that came out this year that I would have got if I had subscribed? What were the ones that I would have bought with the discount? And how much should I actually pay for it? And really, when I sat down and like did the math for last year, you know, if I would have got these like okay, well I would have just tried to sell them. But now because they're their printing or they're making so many more targeted so sorry, my cats are fighting behind me. Toby. Anyway, Yeah, I don't. Yeah, So I like I did my own sort of math, and I was like, yeah, this doesn't this doesn't make sense for I'm glad I didn't kind of thing and thinking about it going into next year, like yeah, there's there's gonna be stuff that I'm gonna wish, like, oh, I wish I had a subscription this month. This is a really great slate. But it's like, there'll always be a way to see the movie. You know, I don't need to own all the movies I only have. You know, I'm an old fucking lady. I've only got so many years left that I can watch movies. And I haven't even watched everything that's on my shelf yet. I'm fine.
Speaker 2: I don't need to, oh all, I have standard editions no matter what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 2: So I mean kind of Celeste was saying, is it even worth making a video? Celeste, you got to make the video. I gotta be honest. I was considering, like how much do I talk about this and lay into it tonight? Because you know, I'm helping more and more of these companies. I feel sometimes like I shouldn't lambass the choices these because many of these are are keeping other physical media companies going and alive and keeping the industry going and all that. But this, to me, this feels pretty feels pretty iggy. I'm not stoked on a lot of this. It is something that you know, a lot of people have already started going against all the fomo marketing, which I'm glad, but this, I think more people need to speak out about it, for sure. Yeah, some other small changes here which are kind of cool in a way, but also very gimmicky in some other ways. Obviously, if you're gonna get other stuff, make sure you get this. If you're going to subscribe, make sure you do that first. You get free shipping on everything. I just wanted to mention that. But then everybody who is a subscriber in twenty twenty six is getting at what they're calling a Premium Metal membership card. It will be engraved with your name and a QR code. Now gimmicky, yes, because like, what are you gonna flash that to somebody? That's weird. But what is kind of cool here. This is the only reason why I do think this is cool is you can use this at their physical locations and when you go to a convention and they have their table, so like, if you are in person and want your subscriber discount, you can use it there, which I think is very cool. I think that that is something that if you were a subscriber in the past and you were visiting them and you would be paying more for the releases at the table. I think it's cool that they give you that option. Now, however, is kind of weird to like ship metal cards engraved to two thousand people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's some like trump coin bullshit to me, honestly. Like it's just that you don't need to create another thing. You already put out enough cardboard into the universe, and now you're adding like these metal cards to it where oh, you can take these to the table or physical location. It's like you have a computer with a database of the people who are your subscribers you can get like you can look them up in there for their subscription. Like, you don't need to make another thing to put in the world that is going to end up in a fucking landfill. Like I just I'm that's no, I don't I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's a lot here, lots taken. So yeah, like I said, the big news almost eleven hundred dollars if you were not a subscriber last year to subscribe if you're and that's only if you're in the US. If you're outside of the US, shipping cost is going to be on top of that, there's going to be tax involved. You're getting a metal card and there you go. It's a lot. Yeah, all right. Moving on from Vinegar Syndrome to Warner Brothers. Warner Brothers, thanks to Bill hunt over at the Digital Bits, has revealed some news on their four K slate from twenty twenty six. Now saying it like that makes it sound like it's exhaustive, it's not. They could still put out more, and they likely still would be putting out more. It's just a matter of what can they put out in one year. I know a couple of these were slated for twenty twenty five and got delayed to twenty six, so who knows, but those titles coming in twenty twenty six. Ben her this is already listed for pre order. It is coming in I think January or February. All the President's Men from seventy six coming for pre order already. That's quarter one as well. January or February, A Racer from nineteen ninety four, Gravity from twenty thirteen, Mars Attacks from ninety six, Interview with the Vampire from ninety four, Gone with the Wind finally from nineteen thirty nine, and Magnolia from nineteen ninety nine, all getting four K releases either hopefully this year. It's planned for this year, but they could get pushed at twenty twenty seven. Any thoughts on any of those.
Speaker 4: I mean, I love Mars Attacks, but Magnolia, yeah, I mean, yeah, they can have it. It just feels that I know a lot of people want that for a criterion, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll make their mone That's why they get a hold on it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, I get it.
Speaker 2: All right. So that's Warner Brothers again. No dates for any of these, no pre order other than Ben hur and All the President's Men. You can preorder those already. This has been confirmed by Bill and his contacts, because he does have some studio contacts, but also Warner Brothers Korean distributor started teasing the titles. Funny enough, and that's how some of these got originally confirmed, all right, and then back to Warner Archive for the last of those three collections, We're getting a Broadway on the Big Screen six film collection, and this has Gypsy guys and dolls. It's got Brigadoon, the Damn Yankees, the Pajama Game, and then Ken Russell's The Boyfriend.
Speaker 4: I want to see The Boyfriend. I think I don't want all of these, so I'm good.
Speaker 2: Well, you can just buy the single disc release thingful. Yeah, that's yeah, or Brenton from library. All right, a really really great couple of announcements from friends of the channel new Way Video. This is John Matthews in Australia's label. He's been on the show multiple times. These are both coming in late February or early March, both on Blu Ray, and they are going to be available at all the US retailers and overseas, so check it out if you're after them. First is nineteen eighty six's ninety Night. We had talked about this a little bit on the show before when it was teas that it was coming, but here it is coming, and you can preorder this now. You've got a director's approved special edition here transferred and restored from the only surviving videotape master. There's a retrospective doc on ninety nine. There's a featurette by Lachlan Sally on this there is a full original soundtrack by Save Earth, the Small Pebble short film, a forty page behind the scenes booklet by Hiroshi Sorry Hiroshia Cocusho featuring rare photos and in depth stories, a new slipcover with art by Sydney based illustrator James O'Brien. I love the art on this release. And then this is the only eight millimeter film. Elements that were made were lost. We are working from a tape source which underwent color correction and touch up. You can look at screenshots on their website to get an idea on the quality of the film. It does not look incredible, but it is literally the best you could possibly get on this film. Now, just so you know, so we'll be in Japanese with English subtitles, and this is an anthology horror film.
Speaker 4: I like this artwork looks very much like a children's book.
Speaker 2: It does perfect. And then to go with it, you can pick up Nourico's Dinner Table, the Shian Sono film from nineteen eighty six. That's not the right year. I don't believe I think I got that wrong. Maybe it's not. Nope, I kept it from the last one I screwed up. That's awesome. This is a companion piece to Suicides Club. This film expands the story into an emotionally gripping exploration of identity, family, and the hidden loneliness of modern life. Following the journey of seventeen year old Norico, who flees her small town home for Tokyo, the film pulls viewers into the unsettling world of a rental family agency. Good year for that with that film that came out More than just a Jayhorn. Nourico's Dinner Table is a chilling exploration of connection and alienation in the digital age. Combining intimate storytelling with Sono's signatures surreal flourishes. It is both heartbreaking and unforgettable. It's shot on low fi digital video and later transferred to thirty five millimeter film. This is proud to present a full restoration source from that thirty five millimeter picture and sound negatives and now some cool stuff, especially for a couple of people in the chat. This is going to be a ten adp restoration from a brand new four K restoration of the original picture and sound negatives. Newly restored Dolby Digital five point one audio, new interview with Shian Sono, a new introduction by Shiansno, and archival interview with Sono. Interview with the actress Kazue Fukuisha I believe is how you say that name? Another interview with one of the other actresses. There's a thirty minute making of Doc two thousand and six Tokyo premiere footage, rare behind the scenes photo gallery. But then a booklet with new writing on a film by Celeste day A Cabra. Dustin putman two people in the chat. That's pretty amazing. So let's the first collaboration with the label to get on a release.
Speaker 4: That's amazing. Congrats you guys.
Speaker 2: Dustin so excited be there with Celestis. Well, yeah, this is awesome. I'm stoked for them. And then the cover looks great. I think this will be solid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great artwork. I hope that the same people who aren't going to complain about the disclaimer that Celeste joked about in front of Gone with a Win don't complain about this director.
Speaker 2: But too late? Oh really okay, Yeah, I posted this on Blue Sky and a couple people over there literally like reposting the post and saying boutique labels need to stay the fuck away from him, and got like really aggressive.
Speaker 4: Okay, sound down, folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is amazing, Celeste. I'm so happy for you. I hope for many more opportunities in the few and can't wait to see what else happens. If you are wanting, they're also doing this. This is not the highest quality picture, but they're doing a ninety Night shirt. If you want, you can pick this up and you can get this with just ninety Night the Blu Ray, or you can get a bundle with both films, or you can get a bundle with both films and the shirt and probably get a tiny discount on all of those together. Check it out. Then we got some Keno announcements. I believe this is Yeah, we're nearing the end. We got like five more The Prisoner of Zenda. This was announced previously. It's a Peter Sellers film from nineteen seventy nine coming up March third from Keno. This is gonna have a new audio commentary by Paul Anthony Nelson and Lee Zakaria, and that is it. Are you into Peter Sellers at all?
Speaker 4: Uh, passively. I don't know, isn't I don't seek him out. I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 2: What about when he's the Panther? And on March third you can also get a four K of the Return of the Pink Panther from nineteen seventy five. Don't forget they all that's not the right word. They are doing all of these and then after those come out, they're gonna do a box set of the Pink Panther films. So if you want to wait, you may want to wait and get them all in one go. This is gonna have a bunch of archival extras on here. We got an audio commentary with the Peter Sellers Appreciation Society's Jason Simon's and then some other interviews and extras on the Blu Ray disc on this one as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's literally the only thing I really know Peter Sellers FROMS.
Speaker 2: I get it. I get it. Then on March third, nineteen ninety two's Beethoven Coming to Blu Ray from Keno Lober. This is a brand new two K scan of the film, new audio commentary by the director moderated by Douglas Hasdale, and another new audio commentary by Joe Ramoni. This is only a two K scan of the inner positives. This will likely never come to four K. For those of you that are listening to this later and saying, well, I know four K, like everybody does. This will likely never get a four K.
Speaker 4: Oh No, yeah, I don't care.
Speaker 2: Matt Haws asking what the straight story finally coming to Studio Canal four K? Is there any chance we'll get a criterion? I mean there's a chance, but the odds are not very high, considering it's owned by Disney here in the US. Carrie Mulligan with the like hot Goss of the Night, I just recently learned about the tragic life of Seller's last wife. I do tell I'm not. I don't know anything about this, all right? And then I feel like this is eric as Hell coming soon on a Walmart exclusive Blu ray Steel book from Paramount, the brand new film, The SpongeBob Movie. Search for SquarePants. You can pick this up now if you want, you can get two of these.
Speaker 4: Why don't they make it a spongebook instead of a steal.
Speaker 2: Book because that won't sell as well?
Speaker 4: What the Evil Dead Like? They had the Necronomicon book. That's like spongy. They could do it.
Speaker 2: That's true, and then I believe. Yeah, this is our last of the week. We got a brand new four K steel book of Alien Romulus from last year coming over in the UK from Fox themselves. This is coming in like late spring. Now. The big thing here is this is brand new art from Matt Ferguson, who's a really great artist. I love the art on this actually, and he's got If you go to his instagram, there are the exclusive place behind these is selling prints of the same art. Or you can go and order the steel book from them and he will sign the steel book or the art print if you are into him as an artist, and I don't know, that'd be pretty cool to own. Are you into the Alien franchise at all? Probably not?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, but like the original, the original only yeah. God, I didn't even see this one. I don't I'm zero interest in this.
Speaker 2: I liked it, all right, that's it for for this week's announcements. Let's talk about what's coming out next week. In case you forgot cloud outless on four K from Shout Factory, which kind of crazy they you know, talk about bait and switch with the imprint thing. Shout Factory pulled an actual bait and switch. They advertised that they were selling an alternate slipcover for cloud Outless, and they shipped everybody's order without it, which is kind of crazy. I don't know how you just get away with that pretty wild perfect blue coming to four K that's limited in this edition. Next week Begonia from this year, the four K steel Book and Standard is coming out. Did you see Pogonia?
Speaker 4: I did, yes, what'd you think? I enjoyed it very much.
Speaker 2: I love that movie. Black Phone two four K is next week as well. Laurel and Hardy the collection from Classic Flicks. Next week Tales from the Dark Side four K Steel Book with some of the weirdest art I've ever seen for that film from Shout A Big, bold, Beautiful Journey, which Sibner in the chat loved this movie. I did not love it, but it's all right. We are still here. Tenth anniversary coming next week, pointed heels might come out this company. The last couple announcements they've had did not come out on the release date, so we'll see if that actually happens. And that's it. Other than some anime stuff called Learning the hard way. Are you gonna check out any of these? And I think I know the answer.
Speaker 4: No, that's what I not a one. I already got forced into seeing fucking Black Phone two.
Speaker 2: Do you hate that one? Yeah?
Speaker 4: God, I don't know why everyone likes that guy's movies.
Speaker 2: All right, So here's the Peter Sellers thing. Lynn Frederick was considerably younger than Sellers and married him during his most miserable years, where he was apparently abusive. She died at thirty nine of drug and alcohol abuse. Yikes. All right, film resolutions, this is something you're covering on Unsung Horrors and something we're covering here tonight. Do you do this every year? No? Everybody? No.
Speaker 4: So the previous years we have just uh like favorite new watches, you know, film discoveries. But I feel like, you know, everyone sort of jumped on that bandwagon too, and you know, we're like, all right, well, and I think a big part of it too, was this year just both Lance and I didn't really watch as much as we normally do. And I mean we both watched like three four hundred movies each, which to a normal person is huge. They think that's insane. But most of those movies were either for the podcast or related to the podcast, or related to you know, special features we're working on, So there really wasn't much that we could talk about that we hadn't already mentioned, either in the podcast or in special features. So we're like, we didn't want to just list off movies we'd already talked about. So this idea sort of came out of that, I guess, and a lot of that too, came from just our talking about our letterbox stats before you know, we had even started kind of talking about the idea and recording and like really just sort of looking at what did our twenty twenty five look like kind of thing, And so that's where the majority of my resolutions come from, is from my letterbox stats.
Speaker 2: All right, I am, I am. I've been wanting to do this for a couple of years actually, so I'm glad. And actually, outside of the podcast, do you do this every year? Have you done this before? Where you've decided like for the year, I'm going to focus on a couple of things.
Speaker 4: In the past, I've said like I'm going to make like this actor, this director my most watched one. And there's been years where I've been able to stick to that this last year. I didn't make any resolutions for twenty twenty five, but I was also in a huge depression funk, so you know, wasn't really caring about like a priority. Well, I'm going to make sure that you know. I don't know Quoi che Hung's my most watched director this year. Like I wasn't doing that.
Speaker 2: I get it. I like I said, I've wanted to do this for the last couple of years, and this year ended up being very weird. I focused more on theater than I ever have in my life, and that's probably never going to happen again, so I'll let that stay in the past. But I this list was fun to make. That there's a lot of things that I want to focus on and want to want to make important. So I'm I'm ready. What is the first one on your list?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well, I haven't seen anyone else post any of their resolutions in the chat so far, so if you folks haven't, I would very much say please post them in Ryan's discord. And if you are not in Ryan's discord, then that means you are not subscribed to his Patreon, which Ryan never plugs for himself. So you should subscribe to his Patreon people. Okay, so this year, and I'm just going to preface this with, uh, like real quick in my my own like letterbox stats for the year, just because where are they? Twenty twenty five was very Hong Kong heavy for me, like an insane amount. So I was even looking at my most watched directors and of oh no, my my most watched actors, and of the forty like not even just like the top ten, of the top forty, only two of them were non Hong Kong actors. Like that's not many. That that's insane. And most of them are men, Like I think there's like two women in there. So I'm like, all right, so I'm trying to minimize Hong Kong. My most watched director, uh, directors one, two, three, four, five, six, seven of the top ten were Hong Kong directors. So like, yeah, I'm like, I need to I need to take my foot off the gas there a little bit. That being said, there are a few things that I definitely want to finish on the Hong Kong side. So you know how on the stats you can see like the collections of films, so there's a bunch of those, and it gives you this feature of like almost finished, where you're like one away from finishing this whole film series. And so my OCD and my need for completing things saw that and was immediately like, oh, well, I need to finish all these things. So that's the majority of what we're going to talk about. So for Hong Kong for next year, I need to finish the in the Line of Duty, that's the Hong Kong Girls with Guns. I've watched seven out of nine. The thirty six Chamber movies, I've watched two out of three, so I got one of those to why watch The Inspector Wears Skirts? I've watched three out of four, so I need to I need to watch the second one. Unfortunately I didn't watch them all in order. So and then there's apparently a Demon trilogy, which I didn't know these films exit like were part of a trilogy. But it's Ghost Nursing which Vinigerson dream put out, Seeding of a Ghost also, and then Invitation of Ghosts from nineteen eighty four, and I haven't seen that last one, so I'm gonna watch that and then I'll have all of that nice those are my Hong Kong resolutions, So only two, three, four five movies from Hong Kong, not saying that's all collections. Yeah, I'm going to finish up those collections. So that's four collections I can finish, right.
Speaker 2: There were there examples of collections that you finished this year that you you watched entirely. Oh I don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I watched the whole decalogue series, the Christov whatever his last name is.
Speaker 2: How'd you feel about that in twenty five?
Speaker 4: I mean, they were all excellent, but I was having a good you know, I planned it for that one. I was like, I'm gonna I got it from the library, shout out my library. They're good with the criterions. And I watched all of them in one day.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 4: That was I probably should have broken it up into like two days, but I was like, I'm almost done. I'm just I'm just gonna push through. I'm going to watch all of them. So he ended up being my one of my most watched directors because I logged them all separately when each episode.
Speaker 2: So yeah, way to pay the stats. Yeah all right. So in terms of that I've been talking about for the last year year and a half and this is such a like borderline elementary level one, but I wanted to throw this out there. I want to do an entire filmography in one year, not like I've seen the rest of those movies. I'm going to finish this filmography. I want to do anybody, I think one of the bigger directors that's got like more than ten films, I want to watch all of them in this one year. Start start like the first week of January, and do one each week or one each month, something like that, and get as many as I can and get through from the very beginning to the end. But when I'm saying that, I'm going to try to do everything like short films, things they co directed with somebody else, and not just do like the major things, but try to do something for everything. For a filmography from somebody.
Speaker 4: And you don't do you have one pick in particular.
Speaker 2: There's a couple that I've had in mind. Cubrick is one that I've really wanted to see, like the evolution of that from the beginning all the way through the end, and a short time span to see how he progressed. I know that there's a couple that I've seen like Dustin he's commenting right now, he watched all of a few directors in the last couple of years, I believe, and he's he's gone through chronological order, and it's really nice to see kind of how like your your sensibilities towards that stuff Iole changes kind of how theirs does. And sometimes you'll you'll grow to like them more or like see patterns that you never would have noticed if you weren't watching them so close together. And so I don't want to just say I remember watching these three films, so I'm gonna forget those. I want to do everything just in case I see something new. Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna choose Jess Franco.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think Will is the only person that's probably closest to actually finishing. So yeah, I actually have in so in our episode next week, I have a couple of directors who I'm not going to do like full filmography watches. But there are a couple of directors who I want to finish that I haven't that. I was surprised. I well, no, I wasn't surprised. I knew there were a couple of ones I'd never gotten around to Yeah, it's not Eli Roth, but I mean in that vein of directors, I do have one picked out where I'm not necessarily going to finish his filmography because you know I might. There's a lot of short films in there and stuff like that. Oh God's cushing me. But there's if you look at your letterbox stats, you can look at it year by year, or you can look at it lifetime. And one of my directors that's in like the top top ten of my all time watched is Spielberg. And I'm like, you know, I'm like, I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Jaws. I love a lot of his movies, but like, it's not I don't want it. I don't want him in my top ten. There's other people I would rather have in there. So my one of my next resolutions is to move Cronenberg into my top ten. And it's not going to take much, Like I just need that. There's a few that I need to watch that I've never seen before. And Butterfly, A Dangerous Method, Maps of the Stars, Spider and Cosmopolis so nice. That's five that'll get him. That'll easily bump Spielberg out. And then just a couple one or two films from a few other directors will definitively push Stephen, like Waite, I don't want you there. So like a few from Argento, a few, Terence Fisher, a couple Toby Hooper, a few just Franco Joe demattoed so a few of those from each of them. But for the most part, I'm going to say, Okay, Cronenberg, I gotta watch at least five get Stephen out of there.
Speaker 2: Nice Dustin threw out there that he also did a chronological deep dive of Eric Romyer this year and that was incredible. And then this is really cool couch outus, He says, I completed Lamberto Baba due to all the cool releases like The Cauldron did and seven did. Yeah. Yeah, that's gotta be a fun one too.
Speaker 4: I need to pick up a couple of those releases from last year next year when they're on.
Speaker 2: All right resolution Numero dose? What do you got?
Speaker 4: That was my second one?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: That was your second number one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cronaber got it. I'm sorry my second one. This is again kind of very broad, but I over the last couple of years, specifically, have been stuck in a couple different lanes, and I don't have enough noir in my background, and I definitely want to beef up that. And then alongside of that, in that era, I want to really hit screwball comedies hard. The writing of screwball comedies are like always incredible. The fact that you can keep the dialogue going that's fast and that smooth in a way that is NonStop in those films, I really want to take from that learn from it. The editing in those movies are always incredible because of how much they're kind of like slamming into ten minutes of film, which in any other movie nowadays would be like forty minutes of film. And so yeah, I really want to hit some of those hard and get a lot of the bigger titles that I don't have watched ever, or have watched and forgotten because the last time I saw it was twenty six years ago, and see, uh see what I learned from it. I mean, I'm a different film person than the last time I saw many of those movies, so I'm very eager to see how those genres speak to me.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, So my next resolution is again part of collections. So the other one was like more Hong Kong focused. This is like horror and cult. So I need to finish the Species. This is important, you guys, the Species collection. I have not seen the fourth one, the Awakening. Very excited for this. There's the uh the House series and this is like the ghost House Witchery Italian ones, not talking like you know, ding don your Dead House movies. I have not seeing Claudio Fragoso's Beyond Darkness, so wow, throw some Italian trash in the mix.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 4: The sunny Chiba street Fighter movies. I've only seen two of the three, so I've got one to watch there. And then I have also never seen Beyond re Animator, so that will finish my Reanimator collection.
Speaker 2: I think you're actually gonna love Beyond Reanimating.
Speaker 4: I don't know that you know what I'm gonna love.
Speaker 2: I don't think you will. Yeah, it's it's not great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not see. This is why I'm like, this is more about completion than like I can't wait to watch. You know, it's not all It's not about that. It's about you know, getting getting these you know, getting a sense of completion in there. So I've got some other good ones. O my next collection resolution though, but you next year three.
Speaker 2: My this one is not even film specifically, but I took a bit of a backseat this year to a certain kind of supplement, and it's because it's so time consuming, but I miss it. I want to spend more time with commentaries this year. There are quite a few that I've watched the film and really wanted to listen to the commentary, and I just knew another one hundred minutes right then was not possible. I want to do what I can to rip a bunch of those and not sit in front of the TV and be able to listen to it elsewhere while I'm taking the kids to an appointment, or being able to be outside while I have the commentary my earbuds or something. One shout out for the Deaf Crocodile podcast right now. I adore that they allow me to release as episodes their audio commentaries as a podcast form. It is such an interesting way to sell a disc for something if you give that a chance, or for the people that have already bought it, like, we're just adding to your convenience to be able to spend the time with that in another format. It's something that's a bonus supplement material that you can increase your appreciation of a film. However, a lot of times you don't need to sit in front of the movie for it. I gotta be honest, like, it's really cool to immerse yourself like that. You don't have to, especially if you watch it on like a Tuesday night and then you listen to the commentary the next day while you're commuting to work. You saw it the night before, you can probably when they say, oh, in this scene, she's doing this, I don't need to see the scene while she's doing that. I can remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think a lot of people listen to commentaries while they're doing other stuff around the house anyway, They're not actually sitting there watching it, So I think that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more commentaries this year. I need them.
Speaker 4: I think we I can definitely get behind that. I need to listen to quite a few more too. But okay, last collections resolution is classics, so I have never I need to complete the Planet of the Apes, so I need to watch the last one, which is Battle. I've been told it's not good, but that's okay, let's see. Then I've got the hammer Dracula that I have not seen all of them. I need to watch a d and then The Hammer Carstein Carnstein. I always say that wrong. I've seen Twins of Evil, I've seen Vampire Lovers, but I have not seen Lust for a Vampire. So that's coming for next year. So just with all of those collections movies that I need to watch, I will have completed ten collections. So that's going a nice round number for that. So I'm very excited for that.
Speaker 2: Nice all right, you're number four, Yeah, yeah, that's great. That's cool that you're completing those. So my number four another another broad one, but another one where I noticed a trend that I did not love in myself. And that's a lot of times when you know, I don't stand off from foreign films. Ever, I don't even pay attention to what language it's in or where it's from. I will try to watch anything. That being said, it seems like a lot of these companies that are releasing stuff or theatrically, or I've seen most of them, they're mostly like cult or cult adjacent titles. They're mostly horror, they're mostly sci fi, they're mostly something along that realm. I kind of want to beef up more of like the more just foreign dramas and foreign comedies and try to get into the culture side of those, because there's a lot of great foreign dramas that I've seen, but not enough that are just I mean able to completely go through this. I have loved most of the ones that I've seen, and I need to see more. It's not easy to track some of them down. That's the hard part. But yeah, I love them. I love foreign films, and I need more.
Speaker 4: It's a good goal, so very fitting. Like on that note, my last resolution for this, I've got five more in our episode next week. But my last resolution here is I want to green out more stuff on the world map. So if you go to your letterbox stats you all time, scroll all the way to the bottom. It'll show you your map and like they're greened out, like bright green if you've watched movies from that country. So I want to try to get a good handful more from those. So I've found like ten countries where I could actually find movies that were you know, streaming somewhere that made made sense. That's a great resolution, Celeste. Everyone should have that resolution that watch more Rosalbanieri. That's it.
Speaker 2: But I've heard you say her name more than anyone else of the planet.
Speaker 4: Lance does her name more than I do? But well, yes, So world map gaps that I think I can easily fill next year Greenland, Bolivia, Ecuador, Ukraine, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Afghanistan. Slightly more challenging maybe Madagascar, Sri Lanka and Egypt. But I think with the with t B canopy that's true, all those I should be able to get those. But I think I can at minimum, I can get five of those countries.
Speaker 2: I think there's a I think there's an Egyptian film in one of the World Cinema Project box sets too, Okay, I think if I remember right.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I should watch more of my shelf. That's just a given. I think that's everyone's anyone who's resolution that's like on there.
Speaker 2: That's the understood. Yeah, that's always there. And my last one has nothing to do with the shelf, So that's kind of fitting as well. My last one is I kind of I'd never really focused on it. I want to make an effort to go to more film festivals. I went to one in kind of a half this year, and I really enjoyed the experience, the amount of being able to talk to filmmakers, the amount of being able to see some things early, the amount of being able to see like the actual struggles behind some of these films, and like the fight for distribution and the fight for being treated right as a filmmaker who put years of their life into their first film and now like just the hustle to get it out there. It's not something that is easily recognizable until you've been like a part of it with somebody and witness it up close. And so it's nice to see some of that. So, yeah, I'm gonna hope to go to a few awesome.
Speaker 4: Do you have anyones in mind in particular you want to try to get to?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, the easy ones. I'm going to try to go to Saint Louis again because it's close and panic fest here in Kansas City. But I just for the first time, I'd never done this before, never got a passport, never been out of the country. I just got my passport today, and so I'm I'm even thinking maybe trying to do TIFFs or something.
Speaker 4: Okay, she work for immigration.
Speaker 2: You don't have a passport, I've never had a passport and never been out of the country, and I've just helped people come in.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I appreciate you for that. But I mean, oh yeah, I did log Panama the other day. That's why I watched it. That's what like sort of inspired the whole thing where I was like, I watched my first Panamanian horror movie like that, which one Panamanian movie Diablo, Oh Diablo, Yes, which was I mean, I'm proud of them. I'll say that.
Speaker 2: It's a good thing. One of us isn't working on special features for that film right this moment. Anyways, Yes, this this is exciting. Yeah, any any other off the wall, like plans for film festivals or anything. You doing this, You're exciting for that. Other than we'll like, uh, of course Horror Gives Back is going to be a thing again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, world, we'll do you know, we always do june'splitation and then Horror gives Back for for charity. I don't have any plans for film festivals. I think I did it a few times and just I think I'm past because it's I mean, it is all new movies and I like the last time, last couple of times I went, I just found myself wanting to go to the retrospective screenings and like like the Park Chan Wook one, I was like, why is why is this not full? Like what is what's wrong with people? And everyone's like, we're want to see the new Silent Night Deadly Night remake?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: You know? So no, I.
Speaker 4: If there's anything playing at Fantastic Fest that I really want to see. The good thing about them is that you can buy a one off ticket on standby, which I've done a couple of times. So so if something comes up that I really want to see and if it's playing on film, then yeah, I'll probably go out of my way. But no, no big plans other than hopefully finished Volume two by mid year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to ask about it, do you. You don't have a timeline for when you want to finish or anything other than mid year, I guess.
Speaker 4: I mean I wanted to finish at the end of this year, but that's just not happening.
Speaker 2: So a lot of work. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: The hard part too, is that like some of these movies I just put in the appendix, but I because I watched them, like you know, three four years ago, and I was like, I don't have anything to write about them now, and now I am putting them like in with the proper write up, and I don't remember the movie, so I'm like to fucking rewatch that thing. So that's you know, it's it's time consuming, but I don't know. I'm hoping by mid year. I'm I'm I've been keeping up a good pace where like I've been getting at least two to three write ups done per day on average, but there still are you know, I've got about four chapters left. But it's exciting because I've gotten a lot of interviews with people for this this version. So so far I've got like ten interviews with directors or other filmmakers. So yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Incredible as usual. I will say you should be following everything Erica does because they are amazing, of course, but on Sung Horror specifically, if you've never given it a listen, the conversations tonight kind of rely heavily on the exact sensibilities behind. On course, for those that have never heard it, it is a film that or a show that is dedicated to films with less than a thousand views on a Letterboxed literally Unsung Horse. It's the definition of the title. They are fun, they are exciting, they're always fun to listen to. You guys are great. You can follow Eric on Letterboxed at hex Maasker. The link is in the description below. The book is still unavailable. Anything else you want to throw out there? Follow you on Instagram.
Speaker 4: I guess yeah, I'm there too. I don't know. I hardly post anything except my cast.
Speaker 2: I know you know what you pitched mine. I'll say, everybody, go join the Unsung Horse discord. It's a great little community. Every time that there's a new episode, there's a big flurry of activity. And during June'splitation and during Horre Gives Back, there's a lot of people that are active over there. So it's nice to see.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right. On that note, thanks everybody finding out. We'll see you next week for on Thursday's stream. Yes, I will be here Onchristmas Night next week, oh my god? Really? And New Year's the following week, sir.
Speaker 4: All right, well, and.
Speaker 2: To give people more of a reason, I'm gonna be here with Howard ask Berger next week.
Speaker 4: Oh that's fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, Christmas Day here with my own Santa Claus. All right, have a good week. We'll see all next time. Be safe. Thank you for watching The Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this.
Speaker 3: Hey, movie lovers, I'm Pet Wright and I'm Andy Nelson. We are the hosts of the Next Reel Film podcast. If you're passionate about films like we are, you'll love our show. Each week, we dive deep into a movie, discussing everything from the story and performances to the cinematography and score, not to mention budgets and awards.
Speaker 5: We have covered iconic series like Francis Hercoppolas, The Godfather trilogy, examining themes of power, family, and the dark side of the American dream.
Speaker 3: We've explored the works of groundbreaking directors like Catherine Bigelow, discussing her mastery of tension.
Speaker 5: We've looked at heist films, great car chases, great years in film, couples on the run, and more.
Speaker 3: Our discussions go beyond the surface, examining what makes each film tick.
Speaker 2: We believe that.
Speaker 3: When the movie ends, the conversation begins, and we'd love for you to join that conversation.
Speaker 5: Find the Next Reel Film podcast on your favorite podcast app or at Thenextreel dot Com.
Speaker 3: The next Reel. When the movie ends, our conversation begins.
Speaker 6: Hello and welcome to Tumbleweeds and TV Cowboys.
Speaker 2: My name is Hunter.
Speaker 6: In this podcast, I'll be joined by a different guest each week to discuss a classic Western movie or TV show. I've been a fan of classic westerns for as long as I can remember, and in recent years they've become very nostalgic for me.
Speaker 2: I love the.
Speaker 6: Esthetic, the tropes, and I love seeing different filmmakers takes on them at their best. They're incredibly entertaining, rewatchable, and some of my all time favorite movies are Westerns. We'll mostly focus on Western movies made in Hollywood, but we'll also be covering spaghetti westerns and one thing I'm very excited to get into our Western TV shows. I've got some amazing guests coming on the show, film professors, historians, and podcasters. And Tumbleweeds and TV Cowboys is part of the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network and many guests on the show will be from other shows on the network.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. To hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast network, Please sele let the link in the description.