Speaker 1: Hey, it's Sandy. Thanks for finding the podcast version of the show. If you're not listening on the iHeartRadio app, you should because there's a lot of great new updates, including the ability to set one oh three point one as a favorite, just like you do in your car. Open up the iHeartRadio app update and use it. Here's today's podcast. Had a visitor on my walk yesterday on the Brushy Creek Trail and Cedar Park. I'm gonna tell you about him in just a second, but real quick to watch much of the inauguration stuff yesterday, JB.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, on and off. A lot of background stuff, but yeah, I caught some moments here and there.
Speaker 1: Did you catch the I think it was the second speech that he gave to the other group of people after the big inauguration speech. Did everyone kind of hold their breath a little bit when he was talking about Governor Abbott and hold their breath saying, Oh God, Trump's gonna ask him to stand up.
Speaker 3: Before?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was done that before.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, he was praising Governor Abbott and then I was just holding my breath, going, oh God, don't ask him to stand up, Please, don't ask him to stand up. But he didn't. So anyway, the inauguration happened yesterday. I don't know how you could miss it. It just is eating up the entire news cycle of the day without a fact. But I had something kind of exciting happened yesterday afternoon. I was on my walk, which is about just over an hour walk, just over four mile walk than I do, at Rushy Creek Trail, and I'm walking along the trail with my friend David. I looked to my left and there is an enormous coyote right there. I mean, normally coyotes are pretty scraggly, skinny and small. This dude had been eaten really really well. I mean he was big, and I don't know anything about it. I was like, David, I go, are they like dangerous like a bear? Can they come at us? Well? You know, what do I do? I had no idea if they're skittish. Apparently they're very skittish and they stay away from people. But it just reminded me, man that even though you think you live in the neighborhood and stuff, we share these the land with these creatures that are all over the place, especially deer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's not uncommon to see coyotes and foxes in my neighborhood. And I live close to downtown.
Speaker 1: You see coyotes.
Speaker 3: They're crazy.
Speaker 2: There's like a there's a creek like just a block from my house. It runs along I thirty five, and it's yeah, they cruise up and down that. Oh yeah, they're they're all over It's frightening.
Speaker 3: I mean, go ahead.
Speaker 2: You always see people on next door their cats go missing.
Speaker 3: You know they're eating.
Speaker 4: That video that you posted, Sandy, he was big. Like at first glance, I'm like, well, that's a wolf. There's a wolf in Cedar Park. Clearly there's not a wolf. He was really big.
Speaker 1: I was really glad that I had my knife with me. I was ready.
Speaker 3: Did you have your knife with you?
Speaker 1: I did. I had my knife in my backpack and I pulled it out. I was ready.
Speaker 2: You'll have to get my nephew to take you. Varmint hunting he does. He's on some competition thing. Do you know they have that?
Speaker 1: I didn't know there was competition varmit hunting.
Speaker 3: He's all over it.
Speaker 2: Jb yea wild hogs and coyotes and he wins prize money doing it.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, he sounds like the kind of guy that would go down to Florida and hunt those pythons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something like that. But he does it all the time. They have like a team.
Speaker 3: Does he do that.
Speaker 4: When he sticks his arm down in holes and pulls that big giant fish?
Speaker 3: What's that called?
Speaker 1: Fish with your arm? That's a redneck too far for me. I mean, that's a redneck bridge that I mean noodling. Yeah, yeah, that's a redneck. I've done some redneck stuff. I mean I have, but man, that's a redneck bridge. Too far for me. Stick your hand down in hole for fish and pull it out, No.
Speaker 3: Thanks, giant fish like once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not doing that. They want to do arnments though, I would do varmits. Yeah, that'd be kind of fun, and people want them gone. Remember out on when s H one thirty was brand new and they had that barrel hog problem where people were running over pigs all the time.
Speaker 3: Because they were running across the highway.
Speaker 1: They weren't used to it yet, right, Yeah, And then in California they made a pedestrian bridge for the wildlife. Did you see that. I'm not kidding.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, It's like the animals can read. They know where to go to the bridge? When did this happen?
Speaker 1: Did you know about that? GB?
Speaker 2: I've seen that. I didn't know where it was, but i've seen some of those. Yeah, I didn't know they had them in California. I figured it was Europe or something.
Speaker 1: That's the only place I've ever seen. Can you imagine bringing that up in Texas? In the legislature had got an idea, y'all, how about if we spend a bunch of money make a bridge so the wildlife have somewhere to cross the highway. It would be your last words is a Texas politician? Wouldn't it?
Speaker 3: I met it, get past, you'd be done.
Speaker 1: But that coyote was He wasn't messing around. I didn't realize they were so darned big, And I'm sure that I don't know. There's a kind of a neighborhood around that you mentioned next door? Are you on next door? JB?
Speaker 2: Occasionally?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh what a cesspool?
Speaker 3: That is a right. I couldn't get off fast enough once we got on it.
Speaker 2: Usually it's like I'm giving away free stuff at the curb, you know. Yeah, it's good for.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, that's true. But then there's always the person that gets nasty on that neighborhood. Yeah, you gotta be careful. I'm still on the one from our old neighborhood and can't figure out how to get off of it.
Speaker 3: I know, I me too, I have the same problem, so I just blocked it.
Speaker 1: That's smart. I mean, be careful if you're out there, friends. Good news is that the rattlesnakes and all that stuff they're not going. You're not going to see them this time of year. We gotta wait for them to get a little bigger. Trisua will take you on the take out the tailor. They still do the roundup out there.
Speaker 3: I think I'm not getting anywhere near that. I am not. Mister Shoulders, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Stick around. We've got more coming up, would you guys say? Austin's a fun city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's always something to do. I always tell people there's something to do every I mean, if you're a bored person this town, there's always options, right.
Speaker 1: You just gotta maybe have to look around a little bit more than others, but there's always something to do. You're right. Well. Austin landed number six on a list. I don't know who put this list out, but number six on a list of the most fun cities in America. So you're curious who they think is more fun than Austin. Got to hear this. Yeah, I mean very subjective obviously, but number five on the list of the most fun cities, New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if that's your kind of fun, yeah, right.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's very specific fun, Like you go there, you have fun, you go home. I feel like Austin is more of a sustained, everyday fun things kind of city, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's more options for fun in Austin than there are I think in New Orleans. Basically, all I've seen of New Orleans is kind of the French Quarter. That's it, right, Like JB said, that's a certain kind of fun.
Speaker 2: That's a certain same thing. But Vegas certain kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Vegas is on the list, right, number four on the list. When you think Atlanta, do you think fun?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, I don't either, not at all. I don't know what I think when I think Atlanta, but I don't think fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only thing I think that is fun is when I think like major League sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Outside of that, not a fun town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Number three on the list of the most fun cities Miami. I'm not cool enough for Miami.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not either.
Speaker 1: At all, not good looking enough for Miami, not rich enough, not rich, And I'm not nothing enough for Miami. So I'm nothing enough for Miami. Number two on the list. Again, these are very specific types of fun, JB. I think you nailed it because Orlando, Florida number two. Disney. Yeah, but that's not I don't want to do that for fun.
Speaker 3: Like once or twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there's all the big theme parks now, there's like a couple of Universals, and there's I don't I don't even know how many there are. There's lots of them. It doesn't just be Disney.
Speaker 1: So if you're a theme park person, Orlando's your town and that's fun. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My daughter and I were there last year. We ducked into gator Land.
Speaker 1: What do they have there?
Speaker 2: It's been around since like the fifties or something. It's it's his classics. She actually enjoyed that more than a lot of the rides.
Speaker 1: I learned something when I lived in Cincinnati. I worked with someone that they very involved in the roller coaster culture of the of America. Like they took their vacations to go ride different roller coasters. That was their thing. Like what yeah, but hey, everyone's got a thing, right. And finally, Jimmy, you mentioned the number one earlier again it falls into that certain kind of fun Las Vegas number one city for fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two days tops. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I could live in Las Vegas though. A friend of mine lives there, and I went and visited. He lives, I don't know, fifteen minutes from the strip, you know, and like a normal neighborhood, like with normal people and not a bunch of not a bunch of.
Speaker 4: Normal being that close to the strip when you think of Vegas, right.
Speaker 1: Right, right. But it was great because he said so someone was really funny. He goes, yes, Andy, it's great living here because you get showered and you get dressed and you go to Vegas. It was like, yeah, Sam, that's a great way to look at it. But if that's a good point, he's like, you know, world class restaurants, world class entertainment, world class spas, all that stuff, that'd be pretty fun. Great golf, great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: A cousin who lived there for a few years, and he was like, I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could. He really lived there for work and said it was great.
Speaker 1: Huh, so Vegas would be all right. But man, on vacation, you nailed it two days. Yeah, get me the hell out of there. And the worst thing you can do in Las Vegas is book an early Sunday morning flight. Yeah, you're like, oh, no, I'll go in early. No you won't. Oh you won't, you won't. Patricia and I were just talking. Why were we talking about going to Las Vegas. Oh for Kenny Chesney at the Sphere.
Speaker 4: Kenny Chesney at this sphere. Really, anybody at this sphere. I just want to go to the Spear. But I love Kenny Chesney and he's going to be there. He's doing a residency at the end of the year. I would love to go. I think this a great reason to go. I haven't played blackjack in years.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget JB. Once in Las Vegas with Tricia and her friend Brittany, and I get up in the morning and they go. These two never came home, right, She and Brittany never came back. Tristian ever came back to the hotel room. I go downstairs, there's Tricia and Brittany sitting at a five dollars blackjack table with a whole bunch of people, and I'm like, how long have you been here? And she goes, what time is it? I go nine, and she goes about twelve hours, and.
Speaker 2: Then the other one down the table.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then the next day, same thing. They come. Tricia and Brittany your friend, come into the hotel room and she goes, what are we doing tomorrow? And right then Brittany opens up the blinds and it's bright sunlight out and Tricia goes, oh, my god, it is tomorrow.
Speaker 3: There's no time in Vegas. My god, you have no idea what time it is. When you're in those casinos.
Speaker 1: She'll sit there and play five dollar black jack all.
Speaker 3: Day long, all day long. I love it. I love it. I went on a girl's trip. There was like six girls we sat down on with those five dollars tables.
Speaker 4: And you know how at the big tables where it costs like, I don't know, five hundred, one thousand dollars to play, they have the big groups of people around them because they want to see all the money exchanging hands, and there's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Cheering and clapping.
Speaker 4: We had a crowd like that around our five dollars table because we were having so much fun and cheering and clapping like we were winning thousands of dollars on each hand.
Speaker 3: We're at the little five dollar table.
Speaker 1: Come you got a double down for five dollars and the place went nuts, right.
Speaker 3: We went crazy and the people cheering for.
Speaker 1: Us did too. That's funny. So again at Austin number six on the Most Fun Cities list, followed by New Orleans, Atlantis four, Miami three, Orlando number two, and Las Mais, Vegas number one. Stay with us more coming up on Austin's eighties station what O three point one. Hey, thanks for listening to the podcast. We'll see you on the radio every morning from six until ten on Austin's eighty station what O three point one, streaming on the iHeartRadio app. You can also ask your smart speaker to play us. Just say Alexa play what O three point one, Austin's eighty station on iHeartRadio