Speaker 1: Hell, everybody to the facilities of the iHeartMedia Megaplexis is Dick Gabriel. This is the state wide edition of the Big Blue Insidet. You've heard comments from Vince Merrow as well as Nick menngeone. Now's your chance to settle in and listen to more football chatter and some basketball as well. Aaron Gershan of the Cat's Palls, Billy Rutledge from right here in the studio, and Jeff Picoro the UK Network will join us right here on the state wide BBI border to order. It is the Big Blue Insider. Dick Gabriel, Billy Rutleds, Aaron ger sean Kentucky Tennessee coming up. It used to be the last game of the year, and that changed a long time ago. And it used to be that Tennessee would just run a pro style offense or a grind it that running style and for the longest time beat Kentucky every year. Well that changed a while back. That's changed when Joker Phillips was here. But of late Aaron gershwan Tennessee sat Kentucky's number. There have been some interesting games. We had a couple of Kentucky wins twenty twenty, and I want to say seventy eleven. That's right, should have been twenty eighteen as well. Oh yeah, they went down the.
Speaker 2: Last game I've ever been to, second to last I think college football game i've been to just as a fan, Yeah, as media, sitting in the upper deck at Neeland Stadium, fully expecting.
Speaker 1: Really cold night, for freezing night, and yeah, Tennessee kids came out bare chested to warm up right and like, look at us.
Speaker 2: And that was a five and seven Tennessee team. I think that was five wins, got vacated later on and they dominated can win Kentucky team, and they had I think the tailor kid who's I think he's still in the NFL, had three sacks and Kentucky's offense couldn't do a darn thing, and the defense give up a hail Mary at the end of the first half.
Speaker 1: To me, the most interesting though, was I think it was the COVID year where it was back and forth a little bit, and then Kentucky just kicked their buttet the.
Speaker 2: Two pick sixes back to back in the second quarter and then they.
Speaker 1: Well know then I'm thinking of seventeen, Yes, seventeen seventeen was was back and well that was the game that Yeah, Stephen Johnson had to leap into the end zone to win it. Well, then I'm there's a what was a game down in Knoxville where they just destroyed him.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty they did, but it was it was they already had the pick six. Yeah, they had the pick six. It was the second quarter, it was I think it was. I think they fell behind seven to nothing or something, and then they outscored the thirty four to seven urst away. But yeah, those are the only three wins over Tennessee in my lifetime. And I think Billies as well. Yeah, not a lot.
Speaker 3: I do remember the twenty twenty year because I was I wasn't on the broadcast yet, and I was listening on a golf course and we could not well, of course, what was happening.
Speaker 2: I was in a hotel room in indeed, doing a little staycation.
Speaker 1: Trip up there. Okay, Well, I just am so befuddled by this Kentucky team, and I went to the little gathering the nineteen eighty four team had on Friday night at the stadium, and that was the topic of conversation about this current Kentucky team because of course you know, they all have ownership and rightly so. And they're like talking amongst each other, talking to me, talking to jeppecorl what in the bleep is going on? And I wish I had an answer. Yeah, because the team that held its own against Georgia and played almost it's not perfect, but played about as well as you can play at Ole Miss and then what happens. Yeah, and not only that, you could draw a couple of parallels between Florida and Vandy. I think the way they lost those games, this one was this one was gashing the defense for huge chunk running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they couldn't stop the run. And look, I'm not going to make excuses, but it is important to note the second half when dark quest Hunter just ate, what do you have? Two hundred seventy eight yards? I think he broke an opponent record at Crokerfield. No d RK Jackson and no there's another guy who's out the weaver can have Weaver, thank you, But we're that said to allow got to run for two seventy eight it's embarrassing and it's I mean, this Kentucky defense two weeks ago is ranked number ten in the country in run defense. They're up to fifty second in a matter of two weeks. And this is Look, I know they didn't give up huge numbers on the ground, but a guy ran for five touchdowns in the first start against them at Florida too, So the run defense has taken a huge step back, which is probably more shocking to me than anything else because that you look at the defensive front there, I mean NFL guys, two or three NFL guys in one first round pick on that line, and then the two inside linebackers are NFL guys. So it's just it's been stunning how much they've regressed in that aspect. But to me, it still starts and fends with this offense. Oh yeah, if I haven't scored more than twenty points an SEC play, you're not gonna It's amazing they have an SEC win with.
Speaker 1: That stat and that starts with the old line one hundred, you know. But there's also quarterback drama.
Speaker 2: Now, which we can get into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will.
Speaker 3: Say, you hold your hat on, you know, the things that you can rely on during tough time times, and usually that's been run defense in the past, not lately, and it's just you look back and you.
Speaker 4: Beat Old Miss on the road.
Speaker 3: Then you have a bye week, Dick, and you look at the schedule ahead and it's like three winnable games. You could set up a huge matchup against Tennessee, and now it feels like the season's over. I mean, they can still be bull eligible, but you've got to pull off a huge upset in one of these next three weeks.
Speaker 1: You have to do some things that you have already shown you may be incapable of doing.
Speaker 3: That's right, and then you still got Louisville at the end of it. You know, Aaron's chomping at the bit to talk quarterbacks, but you know it's that was a head scratching thing and all this and it's just it's been the whole year, and I feel like at times we've all scratched our head together and said, why is this happening? Because, like you just started, Dick, one point game versus Georgia beating Old Miss on the road, you can't call those flukes. Those are great teams that they beat, so like for them to turn around and play like this, it's hard not to think that maybe some guys have given up as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you wonder to use an overused term, but it's but Vince Merrill brought it up because he said, we've got some really good leaders on this team. Well, this week is the stiffest test they've had in years at Kentucky. But my question is how well we'll get to your topic in a moment erin But this is part of it. The quarterback's got to be a leader. That's got to be a leadership position, and Brock Vanderft hasn't shied away from that. You're inside linebackers. Those are your quarterbacks on the field. You need I think something in the back four. And the best guy they've got, Maxwell Harriston, may not play again this week. You know where is it? Eli Cox, I think is doing the best he can up front trying to hold that line together.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So the guys who need to dig down and drag their teammates with them, you know, can they get it done? Especially when you're talking about a quarterback who came through the portal, a linebacker who came through the portal, who don't have as much sweat in equity involved in the team. That's what I wonder that.
Speaker 2: Those are the two issues right, your leaders yet One, yes, they're new to this program. They haven't been around like the Dane Keys or the Eli Cox's, the Dereck Jackson's And that's one thing. But two guys, you have to lead by example too, and that means playing really good football. And a lot of their leaders. I think Eli's playing as well as you can, but you look at that offensive line, it's hard to, you know, give too much stock into his play. Rock Vandergriff has been up and down. Jam and dukemus Johnson's played really well, but how much of a leader is he? I don't know. Derick Jackson is just such a quiet, soft spoken guy, and then Max Harrison's not on the field, Chip Trainum's not on the field like you have to have your leaders not only show up in the locker room and know the culture, but go out there and play well. Those are the best type of leaders. You saw it Auburn. I heard all week that their leader was fifteen on defense two sacks. Yeah, pretty good, Dark West a captain, that's pretty good.
Speaker 5: Yea.
Speaker 2: I know they're having a tough season, so maybe not the best example, but you're going to go up against Tennessee next week. Their leaders are those veterans on the defensive line, and boy if they played well this year. So it's tough. It's a balance between knowing the culture and playing and being effective, and you're not really getting either of that, which is tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But the discouraging thing is is the same issues keep popping up, like there are. There are some games where one thing can lead to another, and you can accept that. But if I go through another game and Kentucky loses the middle eight, then I'm just gonna freak out. I mean, if we go through another game and we can't score, I'm inside the five yard line, I'm gonna freak.
Speaker 2: Out like this.
Speaker 4: These are things that should.
Speaker 3: Have been corrected and then you can move on and work on something else. But when you don't correct them at all, then you're just what's stuck in neutral? I feel like that's a term that's been used a couple of times.
Speaker 1: But how do you correct from game to game different opponents. I do think obviously you can correct some things on the O line in terms of blocking technique and things like that, but if they're just not good enough to move Auburn's D line, if they're not good enough to move Tennessee's D line. You know, I'm not because you know the other kids, they get scholarships too, you know, so if they're how do you fix that? That's the to me, the most frustrating thing, and I can't just you'll play better.
Speaker 3: Well, I think was it somebody that mentioned it today? Maybe they passed the ball more a little bit when they're down on the goal line. You switch up the play calling in the same past.
Speaker 1: To Barrion Brown early in the game, was it first or second drive, came around and would look like a jet sweep, didn't get the ball and he kind of looks deep and then he I don't know if he was a safety valve or what, but he swings it to Brown, got him in full stride. Good pass by Brock and he takes it for like eight yards. And I think I was talking with Darren about this. Suddenly it's second and two, not second and nine or whatever, and I thought, well, that's you know, maybe that's something we're going to see tonight.
Speaker 3: Nope, Nope, you know, and that's a good play call on first down and not fourth and five, right, like we've seen bubble screens on fourth be huge.
Speaker 4: Fourth down play calls.
Speaker 3: So it's just it's kind of been across the board and not really one position group that you can blame.
Speaker 2: And I thought, like the running back situation was really difficult. You're down Demi, who's been great all year, Ship who you know, spend whatever, but you got them back for a week, lose them. So you have two freshmen in there, but I thought both of them deserve chances to keep it going and see if they can keep their momentum going. I mean, Jamarion Wilcox take all the off the field stuff out for a second first play of the game. He gets basically stopped at the line of scrimmage, but he's able to just keep his feet going and gives you seven yards and then he subbed out right away. It's like, let him build some momentum. And then Jason Patterson had a I think fifteen or twenty yard run that set him up for that touchdown that Wilcox scored. He had one more carry the rest of.
Speaker 1: The game, first seven carries, Like why.
Speaker 2: Like these kids are like, again, I get it, the offensive line's not great. You want to be balanced and show that you can throw the ball to recruits whatever, But like it's working. Why are you going away from one of the few things you do well. I'll never understand.
Speaker 1: I think they had thirty three plays in the first half and only seven went to them. Again, you know, it could be that there was the opportunity to run more if there were a run pass option situation. That's got to keep reminding myself is you know, did they have the opportunity to run more and the quarterback, whether it's Whimsit or Brock, decides no, I got to pull it and go. That's always an issue when we talk about the passing game. I don't know how to read defenses. Jeff does upstairs, and he's always talking about he has so and so wide open, but if he's running for his life, you know. But other people have said to Jeff Man, your quarterback locks onto his receivers, which is I think a problem.
Speaker 2: It is a problem.
Speaker 1: We asked Bush Hampden about that today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he didn't.
Speaker 1: He kind of danced through, right, he said, he said, you know, that's an experienced thing. And again the first year starter, but if you've only got one and a half seconds to look downfield, you know, what are your progressions If you can get one, maybe two, and now you're in trouble. So how do you how do you make a decision?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then there's been a lot of issues this year, there's no doubt. But I did not think in a tie game it was time to switch the quarterback position.
Speaker 1: That was weird.
Speaker 2: Okay. My big thing is this Gavin went I'm not trying to crap on Gavin Wimbsett at all. He's a guy. We know who he is. Like he played. He was a two year starter at Rutgers with a forty nine percent completion percentage. He can run the football. But you go to the first half when he came in for his run place he ran for one yard total, three carries. So Auburn had number two circle, they knew what he was going to do. He took one deep shot, didn't even get close to anything. Okay, so you know what you're getting in Gavin Wimbstt. It's not and I'm not advocating like, oh, if you're gonna ben h play Cutter Bowly because with this offensive line, you cannot put Cutter Bowley out there and ruin his confidence forever. But if you had a backup, that was I don't know. I'm not saying bow Allen, but a guy like bo Allen where he has played multiple years, maybe he's like like a Brock Vandergriff resume where he's just been a career backup waiting for his moment. But he's a veteran then that I'd understand. But a guy where you know what he is and you know he's not going to help you become a more accurate passing offense. And the moment. When Kentucky has had success in offense, it's because Rock Vandergriffs played really good football Ole Miss. They won because Brock Vandergriff played from offensively. Brock Vandergriff made the big plays when they needed him to, made the big play to Dame Key in the end zone, made the great play on the forty three yard bomb that ended up going sixty three, whatever it was. I mean, just he was the reason they won that game. Why are you doing that to him when he's been the only like whenever there's any success for this offense, he's in the middle of it. I get you want.
Speaker 1: To He's not bad in the quarterback run game.
Speaker 2: No, he's better than Whimsett in my opinion, it just.
Speaker 1: Because they don't expect it from him.
Speaker 2: Right to me, it's just it's it was just a poor, poor decision. They don't they don't have that guy. Wemsatch is not the guy you go to in that situation. We were talking it was a one like Philly' said, a one score game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we were talking in the previous show with Darren about when you have seen Vandergriff given time to throw the ball, he does fine. I mean, look look at the play you just referenced, the deep bought of Barian Brown. I've watched that maybe three or four times. He drops back, sets to his feet and throws deep. It's a perfect throw because the pocket was clean.
Speaker 2: He had some good throws in this Fandy at Auburn game early, I mean the one that Dan Dank. He made some great catches, but they were put They were putting spots where only he could get it. Yeah, there was a play even the second quarter where the second quarter might have been what got him banks because he threw that awful interception, right and excusable, but that throw a hardly Gilmour on the sideline was a beautiful Yeah, Like, why are you taking this kid out? And again, like you said, Billy, it was seventeen to ten, like you're a score away?
Speaker 3: Is it you're trying to get a spark? Is that the Devil's advocate of this?
Speaker 2: Yes, but it's to me it's and that I get. But again, why Gavin Wimst's because not we know what Gavin Wimster is. It's not like we don't know. It's not like he is Brock Vandergriff where were going into the year we didn't really know. It's not like he was what Will Levice was in twenty twenty one where we didn't really know, or even Joey Gatewood when they tried him in twenty twenty. Like I'm just saying we didn't know what he was, right, We know what Gavin.
Speaker 1: You knew what the rep was, but you didn't really know what you.
Speaker 2: Had right where Gavin Wimst has nineteen games of starting experience and he's played against elite defenses like you saw on Saturday.
Speaker 4: Joey Gatewood, that's a name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm sad touchdown.
Speaker 2: Those are the type of backups and I would have been okay with And that spot is my point.
Speaker 1: Well, step back, come back and talk more football and some basketball. Jefpikoro joins us at the bottom of the hour here on the state wide BBI from Pikeville to Paduca game. Really are gerseean Billy rud Ledge, Welcome back to the state wide Big Blue Inside are going to shift over to basketballs that you came in play tomorrow night. No exhibition games for the women this year, so they will remain a mystery for a while. But as Darren and I were talking earlier, you hang a seventy one point win on somebody, I don't care if it's States Creek Junior High. You've played well. And I thought that A lot of people said this on on social media. Kentucky did what a good team should I'm not ready to anoint them, but did what a good team should do in a situation like that. It's just good to go out there if you're Mark Pope and now you get video to study.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, they played great and they took care of business. But yeah, seventy one. I think it is the fourth largest margin of victory and exhibition in UK history, So.
Speaker 1: It's amazing they have such a stat But why not?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Big bluehistory dot Com has everything. Oh yeah, shout out to them.
Speaker 1: But even if they didn't, Corey Price would dig it.
Speaker 2: Corey Price would too. Yeah, those those are the two outlets for it. But yeah, I mean I thought I was just so it was such a fun watch, right where the offense, they're moving so quickly, they're just chucking up threes. They're they're not a lot of them aren't like stupid shots either, Like they created space with their ball movement and got some open looks, had some you know, slightly contested looks like there weren't that many threes where it's like no, no, no, no, what are you doing like they were, and they passed them up that were open. That bothered Pope after the game. So that was a very very fun style of basketball. And I think the I think I take more out of the you know, I think you can get something out of that. The defense, it's a little hard to tell because they are playing such lesser teams. And there were some open looks that Wesleyan oops missed. He's that's our daddy right now. Angry, but.
Speaker 1: Angry. There's some Chinese food.
Speaker 2: Now I'm sick to my stomach. But as I'm saying, no, Defensively, Freddy.
Speaker 1: Freeman so rudely interrupted.
Speaker 2: You just trying to ruin my life this week, but such a nice guy too, not this week. But yeah again defensively, I want to still see what this team's all about. I mean, it was obviously the mont Butler having six deals really impressive. Mark Williams did some good things. But I think actually tomorrow you might get something because this Minnesota state team won the D two national championships. So they're not They're like, you're playing like a game you would play in the regular season.
Speaker 1: Early they'll they'll get out there, Billy, and they'll play like a team that knows other Wesleyan was intimidated. But this team's gonna get out there even though it's D two and play like they know how to play basketball.
Speaker 4: Oh blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Kentucky's gonna shoot fifty threes, They're gonna make over half of them.
Speaker 4: They'll score one thirty.
Speaker 3: But seriously, I do think we see a game where they shoot that many threes in like an SEC game?
Speaker 4: What was it like twenty one game?
Speaker 3: Maybe not just like seventy ones a lot actually for a championship team.
Speaker 1: And you know what, I guarantee in Minnesota's taking it. They're not going to do that to us.
Speaker 3: But how many turnovers is this Kentucky team going to have? Because I thought they have last week like five?
Speaker 1: Yeah it was thirty two assists?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty two insane?
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 3: That is an insane number. I don't care who you're playing, it'll be double for Tates Creek High School.
Speaker 4: You've thrown them under the bus.
Speaker 3: But it's exciting brand of basketball. Maybe kerk Krisa plays in this game, and then how does he fit into this rotation? But if you've got ten to eleven guys all fighting for playing time, that's just gonna breed a competitiveness.
Speaker 4: And the what is this saying, Dick, what is it? The cream will rise to the top?
Speaker 1: I've heard that? Is that the saying that's yeah, I didn't make it up, but I've heard it. By the way, I always throw in Tates Creek Junior High You know why why they don't exist anymore? There used to be well last Jeff about.
Speaker 3: It, that's safe. They're saying that's in bounds though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but there used to be a Tatesgreen Junior and now it's a different middle school or something like that. So anyway, uh, that's why people actually a little sisters of the poor. I didn't even notice a little if that they're still an organization. But I think Kentucky would beat them too. I'm like you, I want to see kerk Crisa because he plays with a little a little bit of an edge, little attitude. But our friend John Clay, one of Aaron's colleagues and in print another inkstain wretch, I thought, wrote a real nice piece about Lamont Butler and would it took the gadium here, and it reminded me a little bit. It was different, but similar to when uh Jamal Mashburn came to play for Rick Patino because one, he was a well known recruit, but was a guy some some recruiters shied away from because they thought he was lazy or a problem kid or whatever. But but Patino, you know, made the effort to learn who he was and turned out to be one of the most important signees in the history of Kentucky basketball because other kids started to come after Mashburn came and and they also wanted to play for the Knicks coach, you know. So I think Lamar Butler just might turn out to be that guy, that kind of guy where kids have transferred in or they've seen no mot Butler ended up in Kentucky.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Plus, man, if I went to Kentucky, guess what what do you think I could get at Kentucky? So I think they'll be they'll be highly relevant this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lamon, lamon. Obviously if the herod Shody hit in the final four, the defensive presidence what I'm was impressed with? Uh, And I asked him about today. Uh, when they were in medias, you know that isping.
Speaker 1: No hey, and a nerve to do it.
Speaker 2: He was sinking, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: Still would you have done that? Heck, no, there you go.
Speaker 2: But uh, you know at San Diego State they played in one of the slowest off I think they were like, yeah, seventy six and against the tempo, you're gonna play round people down right, Like I asked Andrew Carl like, how hard is it to go from like that today? He's like, yeah, I can't imagine going from walking the ball up the court to doing what we're doing. So and I was really impressive with the way he ran the point in that first preseason game and uh, you know they're gonna what's so good about this schedule is they're gonna get tested in the third game and we're gonna get a really good feel right away because did you see what Duke? Did I know it's Arizona State? They have the one kid in Kentucky? Did you see what they did to them? So they're gonna be tested real quick here in about two weeks.
Speaker 1: And who's the head coach at Arizona State?
Speaker 2: Bobby Hurley?
Speaker 1: Bobby Hurley, that's right. But speaking of Bobby Hurley, he is exhibit A when it comes to point guards who like to try to get out and run. You about this after the break, you know are used to playing walk it up and then try to run and they're not able to So all right, coming up, Jeff Pcorrel joins, we'll get back to football. Talk a little basketball with Jeff as well here on the state wide BBI. Boy, Well, once again we are efforting, mister Ricorro afforting meeting. Is line's busy, so we'll give you an update. Aaron's having an evening. His Yankees trail the Dodgers to nothing in the bottom of the first inning. Your guys are just now getting up Walker Bueller on a bump, Henry Clay's Walker Bueller. Your Giants are playing the Steelers.
Speaker 2: Three tie in the first twenty.
Speaker 1: One straight wins on Monday Night Football.
Speaker 2: They'll probably make it twenty two. But it's three to three right now, is it?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: It's three three in the first.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, you know, life could be worse. You got a team in a World Series, and your team in New York Series is not the Jets.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: I was watching some of the Jet was it last week? But Brandon Echols was getting lit up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Jets. We were just talking on air like they legitimately have a top five roster in the NFL talent wise, especially defense, especially defense, I mean and even on offense. Breese Hall, thete Adams, Garrett Wilson and Aaron Rodgers and two and six and just lost to the Patriots.
Speaker 4: And Adams is like, it's okay to cheer on the sideline.
Speaker 2: Guys, the Patriots. The Patriots head coach called his own team soft this week again again, do.
Speaker 1: You know what? That's almost like a slap at Belichick because Belichick second guessed him for calling his team so did it again. Yeah, And weren't they one of the best teams in the league in the NFL last year against the run? Yes, they were virtually the same team. Yes, they have almost And you know, I'm not a big blame the coach guy, but if your team goes from leading the league in run defense to suddenly playing soft, that tells me your culture is a little bit off, you know, and that message you're sending is a little bit off. Is that fair? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I definitely think so. You know, Bill is doing a lot of talking. He's on the media circuits. He's going on Peyton and Eli's Monday night.
Speaker 1: Show, showing a little personality.
Speaker 4: I've enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I don't know about you, but he breaks it down and I think he's got a little bit more personality than I thought he.
Speaker 1: Did, speaking of a team that's got talent and is woefully underachieving. Is Jacksonville, which game, my packer, is a good game. And then although it was a bit of a trap game for us because you know we're pulling out against the Texans, Detroit is next Jacksonville, but it's in Florida, a little bit warmer, a little more humid. But they've got talent too. Would Belichick not be a good fit there? But you know who didn't even get a look? Was Rabel the guy to look at the Titans line in Jacksonville anywhere.
Speaker 3: I think they thought Doug Peterson had unlocked Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 4: They gave him that big pay and.
Speaker 1: He's got a statue up in the Philly thanks to winning the Super Bowl. Yeah, but it ain't happening, is it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I think Vrabels you mentioned Vrabel's name that that that guy should be back, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it poses a great question, like what's what is the danger of hiring it is? Is? Is it because if you're a GM or an owner, those guys know what they're doing and you can't really push them around.
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Does Belichick come in and clean house as best he can? Yeah? And then you get along with a GM?
Speaker 5: Is there?
Speaker 1: You didn't have a GM, right, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he would want those powers a lot of times. And do you want to give that up? And that has Belichick.
Speaker 1: Parcels who said, if I'm going to make the cake, I want to be the one shopping for the ingredients.
Speaker 3: I hadn't heard that, but that sounds like a parcels and it's.
Speaker 1: Not a bad argument. But there have been places like Green Bay where the coach works hand in hand with the general manager.
Speaker 3: How about the Jets where your quarterback is the one making the deals for your franchise.
Speaker 1: I never have understood France where the coach and the GM don't see and you know where that happened in New York with his New York Knicks back in the late eighties when aw b Yankee was the GM. I don't remember what. Hang on a second, Okay, we're on the air, Jeff, So Billy's gonna call you back bye. He called my phone anyway. Yeah, b Yankee didn't like the style of ball that Rick Patino was playing, and they clashed and ultimately that's why he left New York and took the Kentucky job and the rest is history. Should we take a break and called Jeff all right, we're gonna take a break a little inside baseball here and called Jeff percaorrel so he'll join us after the break here on the State Wide BBI. All right, we have located Jeff Pecorol. Technically he's late for the meeting, so he's gonna have to run. When we're done tonight, I'm gonna ask you a little about basketball, because now that you're back in the local TV business, you have to keep things. But yeah, you are in speaking of basketball, you are in lockstep with our buddy Jack Gimmons when it comes to how you feel about Tennessee. This is a tough week for you.
Speaker 5: Isn't it. Yeah, it really is. This was our rival when Jack and I were in school. He's just a little bit older than I am, and uh, you know that was our rival back then. But you know they did they played, He played Louisville.
Speaker 1: He didn't no, no, no, no, of course on a year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nor did we. So you know, Tennessee was our big rival. This is a tough week for me.
Speaker 1: And yet you beat him a couple of times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we beat him both our freshman year and senior year. So that was that was pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have been speculating about how what Kentucky's going to run into down there. I gotta think Tennessee will try the jail break offense. But they got a good running back and after in Kentucky Auburn film, as your kids like to call it, you gotta think Tennessee will just try to run it up a gut. But also Tennessee, probably, Jeff, for the best defense we will see any Orange in quite some time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they have a really good front. Their front four is as good as far as anybody in the SEC. I mean, they have pressure from both sides. They're they're just a really good football team. They always are, but this year they're a little special on defense. And you know that what what the offense is like, and they break neck speed and you know it's tough to tough to defend that.
Speaker 3: Jeff, it's week ten of the college football season. Are there things that you can change in overhaul or are you kind of you are what you.
Speaker 4: Are at this point?
Speaker 5: I think at this point, really you're you're you are what you are. Now. You can change some personnel groupings. Uh, you know, you might get a little bigger at times and things like that, but now, man, you you know this late the season, you pretty much are what you are.
Speaker 1: Jeff.
Speaker 2: What did you make of the quarterback change on Saturday? And how do you think they're gonna go in Knoxville?
Speaker 5: Interesting to say the least I knew Gavin was gonna get some clock or some wrong whatever you want to call it. I just didn't think they would give him, you know, basically two quarters. That that was very interesting. You know, the question now becomes have they lost any of their optimism and and that they feel Brock is still number one? Or were they just try and Gavin? And how much does this hurt the kid's confidence by basically being benched in the second half. You know, those are those are real questions. And uh, you know I had to play through that with Randy Jenkins and Terry Henry my first two years. Larry mccrimmin had left the team, and you know we had Randy who was more of a thrower and Terry was more of a runner, and then you had Tommy Boyle and Doug Martin and you know a couple other guys in there, and you know, you never settled on one. And the players would like to have a definitive knowledge of who the quarterback is going to be. I think that's real important because you can rally behind that one guy. And I think that's important to have one guy that is the man who's going to lead your offense, and you know, you can use the other guy if he gets banged up or to give him a blow. But to me, you have to have you have to have one guy that's the quarterback.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting you bring up Larry McCrimmon because obviously I saw him play, and there's a parallel here. And these guys have no idea who we're talking about. But what he what he was, Fellaws was a young, strong, really athletic with a super arm. And they were kind of grooming him, weren't they, Jeff to be the QB of the future, And yet just personal discipline failed him and he was gone. And now you're juggling quarterbacks and we've seen a little bit of that here. Injuries really cost in Kentucky a chance to develop Drew Barger and then a revolving door begins. And it's hard right now to end that chain, isn't it?
Speaker 5: It is? And you hope that for the future that you know, the immediate future, it looks like Brock would probably be that guy. But you hope that cutter Bowley can get bigger and stronger and can assume that role. But look, and Coach Wolford said this about the offensive line, and I believe it's true. With the quarterback too. It takes at least a year and may and a lot of times two years before a quarterback can get assimilated, get confident, get comfortable in an offense, and learn all the defenses that are thrown at him. And you know, and I always go back to Andre Woodson. I think that's a great example of his first two years at UK. He was absolutely lost and then all of a sudden, you know that the key turned and the light came on and he became a fantastic quarterback.
Speaker 3: Who's playing quarterback. They'll be throwing to Dane Key downfield and he's been fantastic. Jeff, you know what makes him a better receiver than Barryon Brown at this point of the season. And do you see him playing on Sundays one day?
Speaker 5: I think he can. I think he has the opportunity to. I think the biggest difference between those two is that Dane is a little bit bigger, little bit stronger, and doesn't mind going over the middle. When you go over the middle, you get whacked. I mean there's a lot of times that you just get annihilated. Barryon is more speed. I think that he's a guy that could take the top off, you see him as maybe an inside receiver, whereas I think Dane could be the outside guy because of his size, his heights. I mean, when you look at it, you're asking me about playing on Sunday. You look at the outside receivers in the NFL, and they're all six three six four sixty five and Dane's got that build. So to me, Barryon is the inside guy. And the one thing that they do is a lot of slants, a lot of curls, a lot of quick outs, things like that like Wandale Robinson's doing tonight to the New York Giants. That's what That's how I see barying. But I also see him as a really good returning a return guy too in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Jeff, what do you think has led to the slip page with the run defense last two weeks? Obviously they were they were a number ten in the country this time two weeks ago. Right now they're sitting fifty second.
Speaker 5: The thing that's scary aired is that look at the first quarter, Auburn could do nothing nothing, you know, their their running back had zero yards on one carry. And Dick and I talked about this. I don't remember Dick if it was after the game when we were doing the rap or whatever. But it looked as though Auburn came into the game and said, we're gonna throw the ball and we're gonna have to quit throwing game. But South Carolina utilized quick, get the ball out quit to neutralize that big defensive front. It didn't work, and after a quarter you said, heck with this, throw it out the window. We're running the football. And they totally changed what they tried to do on offense and it just it worked. I mean that what great in game moves by by the coaching staff there at Auburn.
Speaker 1: Jeff, could you tell did they change their blocking patterns or did they go to zone blocking?
Speaker 5: You know, you know the difference is you know, past blocking, it's quick. You say, no, no, no, I know what backward.
Speaker 1: I just mean the way they were blocking with the run game.
Speaker 5: Well, I just think that they said we're going to run the football because they didn't run that much. I mean, the running back had one carry in the first quarter. One carry's zero yards. You he only carried it once. Remember they didn't have a lot of snaps.
Speaker 1: That's true because Kentucky controlled the football yes, and then then that went to sleep. What happened there in your eyes.
Speaker 5: That is what is discouraging but also encourages because the first quarter they went right down the field right and they got the field goal, defense held, gives them the ball back. They go again right down the field and get a touchdown, and you're thinking, okay, kind of like South Carolina was a year ago, and then all of a sudden they flipped the switch and it was just that. That is what is so frustrating as a coach, is what happened between that first quarter and the rest of the game. And I think it was you saw they get the interception and Kentucky gets it at the plus forty. Yes, okay, they don't score, they have to hunt it back. But then I thought a key and Brad talks about this today. Kentucky stops them for the most part, but they get a huge first down run. Okay, that extends the play, and then they flip the field and now Kentucky, instead of getting the ball out around a thirty or forty yard line, figured it back to their own territory and the rest of the game. It just I you know, that's the sixty four thousand dollars question what happened after they didn't score on the punt.
Speaker 3: I want to look ahead to a second. For a second, Jeff, they take on Tennessee this week. Would you like to see the return of the beer barrel at all?
Speaker 5: That was a key, you know. I The thing was, you didn't look at it as a beer barrel.
Speaker 1: It was the trophy.
Speaker 5: That's the trophy we won. It was painted, it was we just called it the barrel. You know. You could almost even call it a bourbon barrel for that matter.
Speaker 1: But they're selling beer at the stadium now for crime. I understand why they did away with it at the time, and that was a proper move to make after the terrible accident. But they're selling beer at the ballpark now, so yeah, bring it back. Why not let me shift over to basketball since you have to or you get to cover more than one sport now, and we we've all agreed that it doesn't matter who you're playing it. I said, what do you be Tates Creek Junior High which doesn't exist anymore. Billy thought I had thrown him, unfortunately, but you beat anybody by seventy one, you've done what you're supposed to do. But now this is going to be a stiffer test, isn't it with a team that's coming off a national championship run.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this was the way you're supposed to ease into a season. You take another step, you know, So now they take a step up in competition level. Now can they get forty two threes off? Can they get up and down the court like they did in Game one? Can they play defensively the way they did? Can they get thirty two assists on what or what was it? Thirty two assists on forty eight made baskets? Can they do that? If they can, then you got something cooking?
Speaker 1: You see? Good? Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I was going to say, what is there anything you want to see from them that you didn't? I mean, it's hard to ask this question when they win by seventy one? Is there anything you want to see tomorrow that maybe we didn't see last week? Before they play for real next week?
Speaker 5: I want to see the continuation of the confidence continue to grow. They're growing in this offense. Last week, you know, I think they were just you know, they're just athletically better and they were able to get up. Now it was almost like playing over at the you know, the Douglas Park at the dirt Bowl, because you could just beat the team up and down the floor. As the competition gets tougher, as the teams get longer and more agile and more athletic, I think it's going to be harder. But that's what I mean. You've got to can they grow? Can they continue to grow through this? If they can, like I said, then you got something because look, you got better athletes than he had at BYU. I mean that's just the you know, that's just a point. And you know, and he's going to continue to get better athletes as the years go and if they can keep this up, and it'll be more NBA style or more European professional style of play. And I think that's that's really what's overtaking the NBA a little bit. Now.
Speaker 1: You mens left with Jeff Pikor or the UK Sports Network. Jeff actually was born in Seattle, grew up in New Orleans, but spent most of his life in lectioningon. Although you covered the Cincinnati Reds for so long, you were away for quite a while from the UK scene. But your senior year it was let's see that was the year eighty four, or the senior in the fall wins the bowl game earlier that calendar year, the Wildcats go to the Final four. The year prior to you guys go to a bowl game. Kentucky's a missed dunk from going to the final four. My point is, at that stage it flew directly in the face of people who said, well, you can't really do both successfully football and basketball. I've never believed that, and you guys proved it back when you were in school that it's possible, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think so. And look remember Florida when Billy was there, they had a nice football team, They had a really good basketball a couple of national championships. Bio State made some runs on the basketball court, you know, So it can be done. I mean, especially now with the money that's being thrown around and being able to transfer around to play in different systems, I think it's very, very doable.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you about Mark Pope in Kentucky for a second, because my favorite part of the first exhibition game was him taking questions from the crowd during the postgame interview. He really does embody what it means to play and be a member of the University of Kentucky. Does that bleed through from a coach to its players?
Speaker 4: Did you ever get that from any.
Speaker 5: Of your coaches? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Look, you are an extension of the coach. And you always hear guys talk about, you know, when they're gone, and they're the fond memories they had of the coaches and stuff. And yes, the thing is he played here. He knows that what the Commonwealth is and what Big Blue Nation means the fans to that team, and he is expounding that every day on the players. And I used to bite tonight from Lamont Butler where he said the fans were unbelievable the first time I've ever stepped on the court for a real game, and he goes, it was loud the entire game. The people were crazy and it was a wild atmosphere. And I you know, I think that hopefully that continues for Mark Pope and the team.
Speaker 1: And that was an exhibition game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exhibition game, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: In San Diego State is a bit more laid back, you know, and they're they're not exactly known for basketball. Fact, they may be no known more for their baseball. When Tony Gwinn was a coach out there a couple of minutes left with jeff ricorro.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is going to be especially if kerk Krees it comes back a team. I think Jeffon shows us a little more of his personality. We know style of play, but it's gonna be interesting to see how that personality develops. Especially as Aaron pointed out, they had a pretty stiff matchup with Duke coming up real quickly.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, it's interesting you say that because I think that he brings a lot of fun to the basketball court with him the guys. The one thing I always talk about in college sports beat football, basketball, baseball, soccer, whatever, is the one thing I thought was Cali Perry. The last couple years, it was a job. It wasn't fun for the kids. I you know, when they're got to smile on their face, the run up and down the court, they're shooting threes, or you're you're throwing the ball around on the football field, you're scoring touchdowns, you're scoring thirty points a game. It's fun. That's what it's supposed to be. Look at how the baseball team this year. They had fun, right, It was a fun atmosphere, the crowd got into the games. That's what it's supposed to be in college sports. And I think Pope brings that, and I think that that's infused into the team because you've got some guys that have, you know, some some some real what am I looking for? Enthusiasm they've got. I think they're going to see that. It's gonna rub off on people, and they're gonna have their favorites.
Speaker 1: You know, yep, you know. So I told these guys that I watched the Kentucky Auburn basketball game where the Wildcats won at Auburn last year. That was probably as good a game as they played all year, and they had fun. And I don't know where that went, but you make a great point. That's right, all right, brother, Thank you. We will see you in Knoxville. Watch for you on the television. It could be spilling into your living room if you're not careful, but just you know, tune him in. And we appreciate you letting us into your living room or your car or whatever. Thanks for joining us. Aaron's got a World Series game to win. Good luck Aeron, and for Billy, we need That's it. Good night from lexion