Speaker 1: If you can't afford to tip, then you stay home and you eat your own food. I say this to get your attention, kind of like you know when you watch an Instagram reel. If it's got something really exciting in the freeze frame thumbnail, then you'll watch it. But if it's like a box of ramen, you're gonna be like, fuck this, I'm not gonna watch this. I don't care about a box of ramen. You know what I'm saying, Attention getter.
Speaker 2: Start You can't paragraph essay with right.
Speaker 1: An attention getter. If you can't stay, if you can't afford to tip, then fucking stay home. I'm trying to get your attention. And this is part of the theme of the email here. So I don't know if that's an attention getter or I'm just being annoying.
Speaker 3: I think but getter in my opinion.
Speaker 1: But well, the reason I bring it up is because somebody writes in and they say, I've got a random topic. Curious you guys had any additions to my list? Made me think of this as these are a few things that have come up recently on the Main Show and the Minnesota Goodbye that I have strong opinions about says Rachel. These are not things that are illegal, but more like unwritten rules of society, and if you can't follow them that I think you should be not be doing set activity. Here we go. I agree with Dave, says Rachel that he said in the past, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to go out to eat, because tipping is part of eating out in the United States, even if people don't like it. I mean, I've said that before. I would also say that it does suck if you are on a limited income and you want to go to Red Lobster and get some cheddar Bay biscuits and fire a bad surloin steak down your throat that you know, maybe maybe you can't afford to tip enough or a lot. Okay, I mean I think once in a while. But you know, if you are a no tipper because you say the restaurant should pay them enough, well they don't. Yeah, so you are responsible for making up that difference.
Speaker 3: Any thoughts, I mean, I fully agree, I don't. I just feel like it's been a societal standard for a very long time. So, like the whole argument of the restaurant should pay them more. I don't really get that. It's like that's just how it's always been tip at a restaurant.
Speaker 2: And you can't really say, like, well, back in my day we have to tip, and now we have to tip all the time. Shouldn't we have been tipping this whole time. Like you said, it's a societal thing. It's been since the dawn of time. I get the whole like spinning the little screen around and it starts at twenty two, goes to twenty five, thirty percent. Just do customize and do twenty percent or customize eighteen percent or whatever. But you should be tipping every time you go out.
Speaker 1: We were in Manitou Springs, Colorado, at a very popular some burger place. They specialize in burgers, but it's basically like bar food, all kinds of sandwiches and just I mean, like an amazing menu. We waited forty five minutes for a table because it's very touristy. We finally got in and we sat down and it took a little longer than it should have to get our waters and our drinks. Then the server killed it. She was there every five minutes to check on us. The food was great. It was hot, it was quick, she was very prompt, and I tipped her that probably fifty percent instead of twenty percent. Yeah, because I said you did so great. I mean, you were so good and we really came in expecting slow service because you're so busy, and she's like, oh, well, the cooks in the kitchen they really do a great job too. And I didn't say, look at me, I'm tipping you fifty percent, but I said you did really well, and therefore you earned a really big tip, because shit, yeah, I really thought we'd be waiting for a long time, but no, it was very good.
Speaker 2: Right, even if the service isn't great, I still tip because, like, like we said, like, they don't get paid a lot, so here's a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's and it always.
Speaker 2: Ends up not being that much anyway, because like, who here is going to a fancy, fancy restaurant and tipping one hundred dollars?
Speaker 1: Yeah right, not very often. Also, I think if you can't afford it or don't want to buy snacks at a movie theater, then you should stay home and watch it on streaming, or go see the movie and not eat snacks for those two hours. This has been a big ongoing discussion, and nobody agrees with me. But it's not me that it's being you know, it's not me that's getting the ben fit of you not bringing your own food to the theater. People are proud that they bring in their own food and candy and dots and doctor Pepper to the movie theater. People were proud of that. But I've talked to several theater owners, including Michelle Mann who owns Like the Man Theaters, and she's like, we make nothing on movie ticket sales. We make nothing. It's all on concession. So even Jenny, who was anti buying snacks, went to the movie last night, and now you have converted.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say I converted. I just simply didn't have time to buy snacks at No, it's not because that. It's the fact that, honestly, the snacks were much less at this movie theater I went to than they normally are at other theaters. Like it's eight dollars for a junior men's pack at most movie theaters. It was three or four dollars at the one last night, And I was like, well, that's actually reasonable, even though there's still like a dollar twenty five at a gas station. So I did buy snacks at the movie theater last night. Here's one thing I'll say, and people can come at me for this. It's not anything new that people bring their own food in to movie theaters. So why go into that industry, in that business if you know that, like, the business model is not the best because people bring their own food in.
Speaker 1: That's because people used to be ethical. I think people used to respect the rule, and now people are like, no, I don't want to it's too expensive. And again it goes back to if you can't afford to eat the junior Mints at the theater, then don't fucking go to the movie theater. It's like, if you can't afford to go to Red Lobster, you don't get to go into Red Lobster and enjoy the beautiful atmosphere and bring in a Jimmy John's. You just don't, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: The movie theater. And if I'm like, well, I don't want to pay twenty bucks for a bucket of popcorn, I'm just not going to eat popcorn.
Speaker 1: But I can right, you don't need snacks during a movie. I don't know. I just feel bad for businesses that are trying to be ethical and they're like they charged too much. Well that's they think about what it costs to make a cup of Caribou coffee or Starbucks coffee. It probably costs for Mike a cup of coffee every morning. It probably costs him maybe a quarter, and if you throw in labor costs, it might be double that. So maybe it's fifty cents. They charge four dollars for a cup of coffee at Caribou, and I don't go into Cariboo and go this should be fifty cents because that's what it costs you. The businesses make a profit. Yeah, they got to pay their employees. Carol Ane needs money. She got rent due, you know what I'm saying. Next one all from Rachel. Thank you Rachel. If you can't put your cart in the cart corral after taking the things to your car, you should not be taking a cart out of the store. You got kids or something that makes it difficult to return your cart. There are many other options like having groceries delivered or doing drive up and having things put in your car, so you don't need to use a cart yourself. Sincerely, Rachel. You know it's just there's just common courtesies you do. I mean, I would forgive somebody who if they were a mom and they had a screaming toddler and another screaming toddler and they got it, they've got diarrhea and they need to get home and they you know, sometimes once in a while there's an exception, but for the most part, you have put your cart in the corral. Right.
Speaker 2: If you're a chronic, not put your cart in a coraler, you're what's wrong with the world.
Speaker 1: Yes you are, Thank you, Rachel. Next one and it's your fishing buddy, Stephanie. I went fishing with Stephanie on Lake Minnetonka a couple of years ago. We got skunked, but we had a great time. She's a professional angler. She's been on the show a few times. Dan Cool writing in for the first time because I'm hoping for a staff rider sticker to put on my ice fishing buckets. Okay, have any of you ever been at one of your live events and someone started heckling you like they would a stand up comedian. If yes, how did you handle it? The only time I remember, I was doing something to the State Fair and somebody walked by and it was like a boy, probably twenty years old. He's like, Katie, WB sucks and I said, your mom likes us, and the crowd laughed. But other than that, no, anybody.
Speaker 3: Else, No, never, I've never experienced any kind of heckling.
Speaker 2: I have a weird not for me, but I have a weird heckling story that you reminded me of. At the State Fair. You know have they have like mascots that are like the chipmunks. Yeah, was a mascot once at the fair, maybe like fifteen years ago that was a dog and he was kind of like made out of rags, and he came out and me and my sister were like, you know, petting this fake dog. And these little boys came up to this dog and he's like, They're like, we know you're not a real dog. We know that there's a person in there, and just like heckling this dog mascot, and the dog mascot was like being a dog. And then he stopped, looked at these boys with his big dog head and he said, listen, pal, you gotta believe it, or you gotta leave. And it was like, this dog's not supposed to talk, but he was over these kids and they just were like ooh, and then left. But I remember that guy in that dog suit all the time, like, listen, boys, you better.
Speaker 1: Believe that funny good for the dog.
Speaker 2: Anyway, if anyone ever heckles you, you say, you better believe her, you better leave.
Speaker 1: I like it. I love it. When I was probably ten, we went to a circus and they had a little side show and there was a guy he is a clown, and he sat on a board with nails sticking out of it. So just imagine a board with a bunch of nails driven through it and they're maybe an inch apart and they're probably five inches long. And as part of his show, he sat down on this board of nails and everybody's like, oh my gosh. Well I knew how he did it, because even at ten years old, I knew like somehow magic tricks, some of them worked, and your weight is so distributed on this bed of nails that you're not going to sink into the bed of nails and kill yourself. So after the side show was over, me and my friend Scott stayed and on, guy, let me do it. I want to do it. I can do it. I can do it. I want to do it. Give me the bed of nails. I want to do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I want to do it. And the clown just sat there with the most annoyed I'm losing my patient's look. He no longer looked happy because it was just a guy. It was just a guy in clown makeup that was putting up with a couple of little ten year old assholes that were trying to blow his cover. So Jenny, no, no, you yeah, next one. I feel like the radio station says, pay fifteen dollars to the person to add the blue check mark to your accounts, making your individual Instagram's official. I would hate for someone to take your photos and start another profile. Well, I don't know, how do you do that?
Speaker 3: You can pay to get a blue check mark?
Speaker 1: Oh well, let's do it. Why can't we do it?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's up to you if you want to pay, how do we do it? Going to pay? Because I think that like the people who get the blue check marks like earned it. But then there's like I'm not gonna lie. I know someone that like does not have a huge following and they pay for a blue check mark and so they feel more official. But it's like, yeah, you have like a thousand followers.
Speaker 1: Like some tell me how to do it, and I'll do it.
Speaker 3: I haven't even looked into it. I'm sure google how.
Speaker 2: To get a blue check mark on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Okay, hell do that later. Yeah. Have you ever done a segment on the radio asking people to tell their rescue, dog, cat, etcetera story. I'll bet there's some touching roadside or shelter stories. No, we've never done that. I have a rescue dog story, but it's not exciting at all. Rex was our Collie and he was a breeding dog and he got too old to breed, so then they retired him and he was a foster dog. We drove all the way to Wisconsin and Alison and Susan picked him up and he was a delightful dog. But it's not an exciting story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like most rescue dog like rescue pet situations, is just that you get them from a rescue, but you don't know like the conditions that they were in. Yeah, well he was outside in the bitter cold and he was beaten off other cats, like leave me alone. But I don't know that about my cat. I just made that story up about good story. Yeah, he lived in the streets.
Speaker 1: Seventy says. I've been a listener since the beginning of Dave's KTIEWV career. Love y'all, Thank you, Stephanie, we love you back. Next one, don't say my name. I want to let you guys know the impact you have of my life. I listened to the morning show each morning on my way to work, and listened to the Minnesota Goodbye on my way home each day. Yesterday I was having an ab normally anxious day. The last two hours of my day were spent on the verge of a panic attack. I drove home in eighteen degree weather without the heat on because my anxiety was so bad. But after turning on the podcast, I felt a little bit better. It was almost like a phone call with my best ease. It was calming. I just wanted to say that I appreciate you all and all that you do. Happy holiday season. Thank you. That is very nice, and I'm really I mean it is. One of the best things about our job is that we get to make a difference in people's lives and their moods. And I think one of the reasons that I love radio so much is because that's what it did for me when I was a kid. I think there's a lot of people who are on the radio for their own self gratification. And I'm not going to name any but I could easily name a handful of people that are on the radio for their own self aggrandization. Is that a word, a grandization?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but gratification definitely is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There because they want to be famous, they want to get attention, they want to be celebrities, they want to be special. And I feel special, but it's because of you. So I don't get on the radio because I want to, and I go home and I watched TV. Yeah, I don't go out in public and go, hey, it's me Dave Ryan, do you want to come meet me? I don't. I go home and I watched TV, and I get on my computer and I play on my phone. I am not here to be anything more than there for you. It's kind of like a I'm going to compare myself to a doctor in that the doctor is not well. Maybe they are doing it to get rich. I'm not sure, you know what I mean. Doctors get satisfaction because she makes you feel better and gets rid of your disease, right, And if I get the privilege of making you feel better, it's for you, not for me. And I think that's one of the reasons that I'm old is the fucking hills and I'm still on the radio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the hills.
Speaker 1: But don't you know some people in radio Jenny that are like they're all about how special they are.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can name a couple they have been in this industry quite as long as you. So yes, I think that I name like at least two or three people, But I hope that most people are doing it the same reason that you and I are doing it and Bailey and vont and stuff, which is just to like entertain people and hopefully bring some joy to whoever's listening.
Speaker 1: That's my reward.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what I was thinking about yesterday speaking of like rewarding and this job is so I was talking to my former coworker and I was kind of like looking back on my old job, which I liked my old job, but there were days where a specific thing that you had to go and do that day wasn't appealing so it's like, oh, I have to do a school visit today.
Speaker 3: Oh God.
Speaker 2: And those days were just like they weren't bad days. There just weren't days that you were looking forward to. And I don't have any like any day of the week here where I'm just like, oh god, it's Friday, that means we have to do no phone screen or Friday. I don't have any days like that, which is really comforting because like you don't like dread going to work, no, and then getting through it, and then at the other side you're like, oh, thank goodness, I got through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I seriously, I'm not gonna sound corny, but I love all three of you guys, and you three are Oh god, I'm getting get emotional. I love hanging out with the three of you, you know, for different reasons. I mean, everybody has added something different, brings something different to the party, and I love all of you guys, and I really have a good time doing the show. There are certain things that are a pain in the ass, like doing website stuff and the roses.
Speaker 2: My day we didn't have to do websites.
Speaker 1: We didn't have interesting Instagram and the facebooks, all right, next one, Hey, it's your fave mary Anne. Mary Anne, thank you for the egg the hard boiled egg cooker that you gave me a couple of months ago at Pilgrim Dry Cleaners. We appreciate that, right, Jenny?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Jenny remembers going back to the conversation about whether or not to say I love you, love you? Or are and are you mad about the sign off crap before you Okay, I'm lost. I'm gonna read it again because it didn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: Been out when we have this conversation, I think you were. We talked about how are you upset when someone that you're dating or married to just says love you instead of I love it?
Speaker 1: I see? Okay, yes, okay, the sign off crap before you hang up the phone? Yeah I love you or I love you? Yeah? Okay? Which is better?
Speaker 3: Which is worse?
Speaker 1: Et cetera. So recently my husband started saying who loves you before we hung up the phone. We've been together for twenty years, and he busted out this piece of shit, Are you serious? Who loves you? Meh? First time, I let it go, but it gave me super ick vibes. He kept saying it, and finally I told him it's douchey. He was like, what, I'm trying to use some new material, Nah, bitch. That gives me the fucking douchebag vibes, That drives a yellow convertible, gives you a punch on the bottom of your chin, and then likely steals the frozen pizza you didn't eat the night before. Peace, what's that fact? Give me the old material. It's what kept me here for two two decades. A dipshit. I love you guys the most. Thank you for keeping me and Smuckers company every day. That's her dog cute. Thank you, mary Anne, Thank you Marianne. We love you. That one, no to that one, and I think that is going to cover everything on the Minnesota goodbye. So thank you. We can use more emails anytime. Send to Ryan Show at KDWB dot com.