Speaker 1: The Thinking Atheist. It's not a person, it's a symbol, an idea.
Speaker 2: The population of atheists this country is going through the.
Speaker 1: Rule, rejecting faith, pursuing knowledge, challenging the sacred. If I tell the truth, it's because I tell the truth, not because I put my hand on a book and made a wish and working together for a more rational world.
Speaker 3: Take the risk of thinking. Feel so much more happiness. Truth, Fusian wisdom will come to you that way.
Speaker 1: Assume nothing, question everything, and start thinking. This is the Thinking Atheist podcast hosted by Seth Andrews.
Speaker 3: Back when I was a video producer, I used to have this co worker this twenty something years ago. Her name is Tracy, and Tracy was a blast. Just a terrific person, huge heart, this sort of childlike, wide eyed wonder on her face all the time she's about it must have been upper twenties, around thirty years old. She was a Christian, just a casual Christian. I doubt she really knew anything about the Bible, but it was her thing right, which is typical I think of many people in the faith. And she was a talented producer. And I remember every time Tracy would open her mouth every time she would tell a story or ask a question, anybody who knew her would get nervous because Tracy had a gift, and I know that you know somebody in your own life who is like this. She could say the right thing in a tremendously awkward way, or she would say a not great thing, like an uncomfortable or even inappropriate thing, without any guy, without any malice, just so innocently, but she would say it and make you even more uncomfortable. And so you just never knew what was going to come out of her mouth. So whatever, we'd be with a client or in a meeting or something, and she'd be like, now I have a question, and we'd be like, oh God, no, what's she going to say next? What's what's she going to say? So, and I have a point to this story. We were on a video shoot. We were going. We were traveling. We used to travel back when I was a producer. We did fundraising and promotional videos for churches. Ironically, I produced hundreds of church videos for churches all around the country, and so we'd fly all around every weekend. And so me and a crew of two other people, including Tracy, we were going I forget to what church it was. I don't remember any of the details. I just remember the encounter. We're on a plane and Tracy ends up sitting next to a guy who was obviously practicing Muslim. And I don't think I'm profiling. I mean, you could tell by the dress he was middle Easter, and you just assumed this guy's almost certainly a Muslim. And so Tracy was sitting next to this guy and I'm like a row over or something. I can see and barely hear what's going on. And Tracy, Tracy, she has no fear, She had no fear. She's just gonna ask whatever question pops into her head. And so she strikes up a conversation, so where are you headed today? And the gentleman smiled and he said, I am going here. Where are you going today? He responded, and she said, I am going here. We're going on a video. Shoot, oh you shoot video? Yes, yes, we're going to a church, first Baptist Church of whatever, first Methodist church or First Assembly of whatever church. We're going and we're doing a video for their staff so that they can raise money. Oh, oh that's nice, that's nice. In a moment passed and I'm sitting more and more on the edge of my seat, waiting for something uncomfortable to come out of Tracy's mouth. And she says, you have a very thick accent. Where are you from? And I don't remember his country of origin? Obviously a Muslim majority nation, and it wasn't one of the ones that we hear about in the headlines all the time, like Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia. I mean, you know what, are there fifty some Muslim majority countries in the world. So it could have been Libya, could have been Jordan, could have been Nigeria, could have been Tunisia, whatever. But he was obviously from another part of the world where Islam is the dominant religion. And this is about five minutes after nine to eleven. Just been a few years. And you know that in this country, the American perception of the Muslim usually involves a vest made of dynamite. Now I'm really on the edge of my seat. Tracy is nodding and smiling in that naive way, not an ounce of bad intention in her heart. She says, she says, can you help me understand something about Muslims? Oh? Shit, here we go. Can you help me understand why so many Muslims are terrorists. This guy could have gone post a lot, he could have lost his mind and he could have just dressed her down and berated her and you know, but he didn't. He was so freaking kind. And I don't remember the specifics of the answer, but the gist was is that Islam is a religion of peace and that we are not terrorists. Those people are very broken people. They are filled with hate. But Allah is a god of love, and we are a religion of love and peace. And so he was doing I think what a lot of Muslims, especially in this country, we're trying to do, which was to de escalate and to try to counter this American notion that Islam equals terrorism because we didn't know any Look, the truth is in this nation, when you ask somebody, a Protestant Christian American, you ask them to tell you what is Islam? Which nations practice the Muslim faith, How many of them are peaceful, how many of them are radicals? What is the overall vibe of Islam? If you ask an American Christian, they have no idea. All they know is Muslim equals terrorism. That's all they know, Alahu wakbar, you hit the red button, you blow yourself up, and you take dozens, hundreds, or thousands of people with you as you go off to get your virgins in heaven. All right, that's what we think about Islam. And I was just thinking about this exchange and the response of a guy who could have gone on the defensive, and who could have been really caustic and nasty and all those things, but instead he understood that Tracy was not an agent of hate. She was not an agent of cruelty. She was not an agent of bigotry, or at least conscious bigotry. She was just naive. She was ignorant. She was exhibiting a child like naivety about the world that she lived in. Now, I'm not excusing the religion itself. We know that Islam is just another superstition, and we know that it fuels some very bad ideas, and we know that fundamentalist Islam is responsible for a lot of suffering in the world. We know that. But those of us who see Muslims in three dimensions do understand that Islam doesn't mean terrorism, and that the vast majority of people who are persecuted by the hardliners and by the radicals and the Islamic regimes. Those people who are suffering and just want to be free and live in peace, those people themselves are Muslims. They are human beings. Islam for them is a framework for their lives. They don't hate anybody. They don't want to blow anybody up. They don't want to see anybody tortured in whatever hell there might be. They don't want Alla to come over and strike everybody. Muslims, casual cultural Muslims, are so similar to casual cultural Christians, Christians who ignore whole sections of their genocidal Bible and they just sort of have Christianity as an esthetic. They got a Bible on the no nightstand. They don't really care much what's in it. They pray and thank God before meals that somebody else prepared and served. They ask for God's protection and healing as they pay their insurance premiums and buckle their seatbelts and lock their doors and turn on their security systems and load their handguns. They live mostly secular lives, but Christianity for them is like the window dressing. It is structure. It is part of their identity, and I am convinced that a great many Muslims are very much this way, and they are good people who want peace. This guy responded to Tracy by explaining much of this stuff in his own way, defending his faith. But he did so with tremendous empathy and humanity. I really, at the time got the sense that he was kind of seeing the question through her eyes. He was thinking, Okay, this is what our mindset is, this is probably how she was raised, and I'm just going to try to go with it. Given that understanding, right, he really approached her with goodwill. I mean, there was a lot of humanity there, which is so ironic because in this country our perception of the Sharia law crowd is that they just want to come in and dominate and crush and hates everybody else, all the infidels. He was a human being first, and I was struck by that. We had a conversation afterward. I think I said something like, you know, Tracy, Tracy, I as a representative of the company, I'm not sure that asking a total stranger why his religion is so loaded with terrorists, and doing so on an airplane is the best idea. It's not that you shouldn't ever have the conversation, but context and timing are very important. Just keep that in mind next time. I really wanted to try to to not discourage her from learning about the world. But why are so many of you bomb carrying murderers? Might not be the question to ask right off the bat. Okay, that might not be the question to ask, But this guy was so kind and it made me think again about humanity and empathy in a time when there is a war on empathy. It's been called toxic empathy. And that's the conversation I want to have today. Of course, I guess we finally have to define empathy the abilities to see something from another's point of view and to share their thoughts or their feelings. We can kind of get what they're going through. And yet, for some reason, for many people in this country, empathy has been painted as our tent is so wide open that we're going to allow in every bad idea, every bad ideology, every dangerous person or culture. Our empathy will be literally the death of us. Let me get into Elon Musk. Elon Musk goes on Joe Rogan last year, and he's waging war on empathy. He says, we've got civilizational suicidal empathy going on. I think you should care about other people, but you need to have empathy for civilization as a whole and not commit to a civilizational suicide. And he draws a lot of this thinking from a guy named doctor Gad Sod. He is a Canadian marketing professor, and he has casually applied evolutionary psychology to the American culture war. In fact, Gadsod has a book out. It's called Suicidal Empathy Dying to be Kind. On the cover is a quote by none other than Elon Musk. Western civilization is doomed unless the core weakness of suicidal empathy is recognized and actions are that are hard but necessary for survival. Now many of us are thinking an endorsement by Elon Musk is not the flex that you think it is. But Gadsod's take is essentially this irrational altruism, gripping, suffocating our culture. Suicidal empathy the mind parasite which hijacks the good empathy module in our brains, and it makes us do bad things. We coddle violent criminals, we protect rapists, and we brand those who are practicing self defense as toxic and violent people. We prioritize the feelings of marginalized groups over what is true. We advocate for criminals and ignore the victims. We demonize the strong and the successful. Then we celebrate the week and the destructive. We prefer illegal immigrants over our our own citizens and our veterans. We let drug addicts threaten our kids and parks. Common sense is dying, and it's because of suicidal empathy. Now I'm going to attempt at nuance, and I know I can get away with it with this audience. Okay, and we'll start with this reference to the violent criminals and rapists. I'm guessing this is a riff on Trump's thing about Mexico sending murderers and rapists across the border. They're not sending their best. They are shoving into this country the worst of the worst, and they are coming after your kids and your family, and your God and your nation and the world and your whatever.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: That's how we see it, And in my own mind have had this conversation about documentation.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: I understand the border is a problem. But I'll tell you I myself would rather live next to a hardworking person of good character who came here legally without documentation. This is true for me. I see something like I don't know what it's like to have been born under the boots of a Mexican cartel. You worry and you fear for your life every single day. I don't know what that's like. I don't know what it's like to worry about the water that I drink because a parasite might kill me. My world is not one where I am targeted with racial slurs left and right. I don't know what it's like to be part of a police traffic stop and worry that the color of my skin is potentially going to get me shot. I don't know what it's like to be a Muslim trying to get permits to build a mosque in my hometown. And this is happening in my home state of Oklahoma. We got seven thousand Christian churches in this state, and about twenty minutes for me, there is a group of people Muslims trying to build a mosque. They just want to build a house of worship that represents their faith in a nation that's supposed to be all about religious liberty, and yet they have been denied permits and are now filing lawsuits, discrimination lawsuits because everybody around them who's talking about religious liberty seems to mean Christian nationalist supremacy. I don't wake up in the morning and think, you know, I wonder if my own government is going to invalidate my marriage this month. I'm not a trans military service member who's been told all right, fine, you got to quit the military in this amount of time, or else we're going to put you on the hook for six figures of student loans, right to be blackmailed out of the opportunity to serve my own country simply because I don't fit into this extremely tiny model for what's pete Hegseth thinks the American soldier ought to look like, which is apparently six foot plus, straight, conservative flag waving, probably Republican male who gets an erection at the smell of gunpowder. I've never felt the frustration of someone who's trying to navigate a world that seems to have been designed only for people who don't have a disability in terms of being able to see or hear or feel. You know, everybody in that world. They can use the stairs, and they can access the entrance, and they can find their way from point A to point B, and there's a chair for them at the table, but not for me. I don't know what that's like. I've never been accused of abducting and eating dogs and cats because of the country that I immigrated from. I've never had my reproductive choices mandate to me. And I've never been punished, penalized, or even fired from a job because I took too much maternity leave after the birth of a baby. Don't know what that's like. How many people right now were born into or found themselves drowning in a situation of financial disadvantage, Working one two three jobs at poverty wages in a world or at least in a nation where the cost of everything is going through the roof, they make less the world costs more. And then people in this government than elsewhere, certainly in the corporate world, look at them and blame them for their own financial disadvantage. And then they point around to someone who overcame near insurmountable circumstances to become successful, a millionaire, even a billionaire, And then they say, well, if you're poor, if you can't pay the bills, if you can't make something of yourself. It's your own fault. Talented enough, you're not motivated enough, you're not working hard enough. Your poverty is your fault. I don't know what that's like. I mean, I think we've all or most of us, have experienced financial struggles living on a shoe string, but I mean the extreme or more extreme versions of that. I've been very fortunate in my life, and you may feel the same in a world where empathy is the enemy. If you're poor, if you're homeless, if you're under the boot of someone else, if you are disadvantaged and struggling, I can just write you off and I can call that moral. Elon Musk talks a lot about empathy, usually attaches it to whatever pet project he is a part of. Evs are going to help us with our energy situation, which may be true, but he frames it in terms of empathy. We have to help humanity through electric cars. Oh, space X, and the billions of dollars were blowing up on the launch pad. That is going to make humanity interplanetary, and that's good for humanity. That's empathy. The whole thing about going to Mars, our planet is becoming uninhabitable. I think he may have at one time said that we are not reproducing enough. So he's like, well, I have to spend obscene amounts of money to get us to Mars in a plan that will never work because I care so much. He goes into doge and he just wipes out He and the hacker bros go in and wipe out critical, critical programs that help I don't know how many millions of people. Strikes usaid causes the death of I don't know how many people. And he says, you know, smaller government means more individual freedom. I'm doing this because of empathy. He buys into white replacement theory. He says, I'm protecting the integrity of the United States and our core values when I say that there's a focused, concentrated conspiracy by those lefties, the radical left, the progressives, the Democrats. They want open borders so they can cart in the immigrants, the illegals. Then votes and they vote out all of the white people. It's white replacement. By the way, undocumented immigrants cannot vote. Mister genius, how do we listen to this guy, a man of tremendous privilege, who was preaching to the rest of us about what he calls civilizational suicidal empathy. How do we take him seriously on the subject, And how in the world is Elon Musk lecturing anybody about the American dream. He comes here overstays a student visa. He is an illegal immigrant. It's the ultimate irony. And then he uses the system. He abuses the system to become a wealth hoarder. And that is called the American dream. And it's especially true in conservative circles, this idea of the American dream. And I used to buy into it, but I looked at it sort of through the looking glass the other way. Have you noticed that when people talk about the American dream, it's almost always about money. The American dream? What is that? Well, if somebody ends up getting rich, they make a lot of money in the stock market, or they have a successful business, or they inherit money and they get a mansion and bank and boats and cars and planes and shit like that, they become world famous. Well that's the American dream. You hardly ever hear someone say are they just happy? Are they safe? Are they surrounded with loved ones? Are they filled with purpose and doing what they feel like they should be doing? And living the kind of positive life that ripples outward to benefit everybody in their orbit. Does anybody ever.
Speaker 2: Talk like that?
Speaker 3: No, it's always about bank. Well, if you look in that context, if you frame it that way, Elon Musk should be the happiest guy in the universe. The things he says and the things he does, I mean, these should be joyous, positive, wonderful things every day, a party every day, a celebration every day, an expression of gratitude for the vast resources that he has quote unquote achieved. And yet when's the last time Elon Musk was kind to anybody who couldn't benefit him? Right back, more on the subject, including the perspective of a Stanford psychologist on the subject of empathy. We'll do it next. There's been a kind of ideological civil war that's been going on in Christian circles. So you've got the hard liners and they're talking about toxic empathy, and then you've got the progressives who are looking at the others, going, what the hell's wrong with you? My Jesus or the Jesus that I have in my mind or in my heart or that I feel as the true version of Jesus is all empathy and love and light and kindness, and feed the poor, and be meek and blessed are the least of these, and come to me, you little children kind of Jesus.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So you got one side going, hey, quit being so empathetic, and the other side is saying, please be more empathetic. And there's a tug of war as we watch this faction fight between fellow Christians. Well have you heard of Ali Beth Stucky. She is a Christian influencer. She's all over TikTok. If you've never seen her face, that's okay, because you've seen it, because she looks exactly like almost every other female Christian influencer of her ilk. She's in I guess her low thirties. She's got the long blondish hair, she's airbrushed to the hilt. She's got that voice that's not quite Michelle Dugger, but it's got that sort of high, compassionate. We just need to channel the Holy Spirit and experience the love of Jesus. Thing as I give you the wisdom that has been imbued into me.
Speaker 2: By the Lord.
Speaker 3: Ali Beth Stucky she makes me crazy. She wrote a book a few years ago called You're Not Enough and that's okay. And I played the clip a while back or heard it online. I'm gonna play it for you. Here runs thirty forty five seconds. It was on TikTok, so I grabbed it. She is telling her audience, Hey, wait a minute, fellow Christians, don't you start thinking too much job yourself.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I know I probably sound like a broken record to a lot of you, But because this is a message that keeps on showing up in Christian women's circles, I feel like I need to say it again.
Speaker 3: You are not enough. You're not enough.
Speaker 5: Nowhere does the Bible say that you are sufficient. Nowhere does the Bible say that you're perfect the way you are. And that is good news. It's actually great news, you know why, because you're not enough.
Speaker 3: You never will be.
Speaker 2: But Jesus is all right.
Speaker 3: So that's Ali Beth Stucky helpfully informing her audience and everybody else that hey, you ain't enough, and good for you. It's an amazing thing when you realize that you have a void that can only be filled by Jesus Christ. Ali Beth Stucky has a new book or releative actively New about toxic empathy. How progressives exploit Christian compassion. I saw Jordan Peterson do a riff on this, the late Charlie Kirk talked about it, and others. They're all over TikTok and YouTube, etc. Here is Ali Beth Stucky.
Speaker 4: Elon Musk said the fundamental weakness of Western civilization is empathy. And yes, that is true, because we are fundamentally, whether we acknowledge it or not, a Christian nation. But as we've become less Christian and trying to hold onto Christian values, we've perverted them. So we've let go of this truth and love dichotomy that we are actually called to that Jesus embodied himself, and we've taken on this superficial form of feeling, which is empathy. I mean, it's the same thing like we want to hold onto the generosity that Christians are called to, but we don't want to do the hard thing of actually voluntarily emptying out our pockets, and so we support a welfare state and we call that Christian love. But again that's just a perversion of Christian love. And it's the same thing with toxic empathy.
Speaker 3: Okay, I know your rate arm is up, and I know you caught it. You caught, you caught welfare state. Right, she threw that out and progressives, in fact, if you go to the book description for toxic empathy, it says, we are told that empathy is the highest virtue. The key to being a good person is that true or has empathy. Like so many other words of our day, tolerance, justice, acceptance been hijacked. And then further down she really starts to expose her hand abortion, gender, sexuality, immigration, social justice. Progressives use catchy mantras to present their perspective as empathetic. So now we are seeing that it's really a culture war battle where she says the good stuff first of all, is owned by Christian entity. Secondly, progressive values, egalitarian values. Living in a world where Christians are not the master race and they have to share the world with people of different races and colors and cultures and religions and sexual orientations. They don't see that as love. No, true love is a top down Christian pyramid scheme. And if you are empathetic and look for equity and tolerance, justice, acceptance, those are a watering down of what Jesus's true message is. Ali Bethstucky and this woman is immensely popular, and she's filling her pockets and she just just makes me crazy. But tell me, this kind of talk is not a trojan horse for cruelty, justified cruelty. So if I go out and I deny you rights, if I go out and deny you access, if I dehumanize you, if I tell you you are not enough, you are not worthy. Somehow this is aimed now as Christian love or at the very least Christian justice. Jesus, we live in a top down society where the president of the United States, his entire person is defined by a lack of empathy, and it's celebrated by tens of millions of Americans. The more nasty, the more cruel he is, the more he crushes the week, the more he dismisses out groups, the more they love him. There's a war on empathy in the United States. Well, as I was sort of researching and reading up on this war on empathy and getting different perspectives, I stumbled upon a ted x talk from several years ago by not a Christian influencer on TikTok, but an actual Stanford psychologist. All right, psychology professor Jamiel Zaki. He spoke to a crowded TED and he was talking about social cognition and behavior, how we respond to each other's emotions, how we can better understand each other. The talk is about thirteen minutes. I thought it was good enough that, Hey, I'm not proud. I'll stand on the shoulders of giants. You know, I'll lean into an expert. I will link the TED talk video in the description box. This was published October the eighteenth, twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: I'm going to read you a couple of statements, and I want you to tell me how well each one describes you through a show of fingers. A show of fingers, Yes, a show of fingers. If it doesn't describe you at all, hold up one finger. If it fits you to a t hold up five, somewhere in between, two, three or four? Got it? All right? Let's try I often have tender, concerned feelings for people less fortunate than me. How well does that describe you? All right? Let's try again. I tried to look at everyone's side of a disagreement before I make a decision. How about that one? Wow? Impressive. The more you agree with statements like these, the more you experience empathy, a simple word for a complex idea. Think back to the last time that a friend of yours was upset. Maybe you caught his emotion and became upset too, but maybe you also tried to piece together what it is he felt and why. Empathy comprises both of these abilities to share and also to understand what other people are going through. The empathy in this room very high, maybe not surprisingly, and people's collective empathy is like the human equivalent of a natural resource. It's a precious one. Empathic people benefit in all sorts of ways. They are happier and attract friends more easily than their less empathic peers. They excel at work, especially if their work involves people like sales or management. Empathies benefits ripple outward too. Patients of empathic doctors report less depression, Employees of empathic managers are less stressed, and empathic people's romantic partners are more satisfied in their relationships. But the news is not all good. For one. Our collective empathy is eroding over time. Take the questions like the one I just asked you. People have been answering questions like these for decades. Allowing psychologists to map our collective empathy over time. Here is the average empathy score in nineteen seventy nine, and here it is thirty years later. In that time, empathy had decreased so much that the average person was less empathic than three quarters of people thirty years before. And even people who try to be generally empathic can find it difficult in some circumstances. Think back to a conflict that you had with someone in the last month, or week or day. Many of you told me just now that you're extremely empathic, But in that moment, did you do everything you could to listen, understand, and connect. Oftentimes, when our ideas or values or feelings clash, empathy becomes too hard and we abandon it all together. Right now, politics is America's empathic black hole. We've retreated into ideological silos, tuning out people who we disagree with, or even worse, savoring their pain. This is a fractured time. Compassion feels endangered. Being a psychologist studying empathy today is a little bit like being a climatologist studying the polarized caps. We discover the value of something just as it disappears all around us. Does it have to be this way? That depends on how you think empathy works. For centuries, philosophers and scientists have told us it's a trait inherited through our genes, hardwired into our brain, something that you either have or don't have. I call this the roden Berry hypothesis because gene Roddenberry enshrined it into the characters of the greatest television show of all time, Star Trek. The next generation know that it's not up for debate. Thank you. I'm glad to have so many fellow Trekis here. On one side, we have the USS Enterprises Ships councilor Deanna Troy, known throughout the galaxy for her empathy. She catches other people's feelings and can read their mind. On the other side, we have the android Data, who doesn't feel emotions himself and can't tell what other people are feeling either. According to conventional wisdom, each of us has a level of empathy somewhere between these two, and like our adult height, we're stuck there for life. So that means if empathy is too hard for you, there's nothing you can do to overcome your limits. And if our collective empathy is dwindling. We can't do anything about that either. This is all pretty fatalistic. Thankfully, it's also wrong. I want to tell you about a new view of empathy that for me is actually not new at all. In fact, it defined much of my childhood. In nineteen seventy two, Washington State University offered scholarships to students from the world's poorest nations. My mom got the one from Peru, and my dad the one from Pakistan. They traveled from Lima and Lahore, each city bigger than New York, to the sleepy town of Pullman, where they fell in love, looking very seventies in the process, I might say for them, though, it was not meant to be. The biggest thing that my parents had in common was their foreigness to the US, and as they grew more comfortable in their new home, they grew less comfortable with each other. They realized that their personalities were as far apart as their hometowns. They began divorcing when I was six, but didn't finish until I was ten. For years, I was shuttled back and forth between their houses, but I might as well have been zipping between distant worlds. My mom is quintessentially Peruvian, full of warmth and nerves. She values family above all else. My dad prizes intellect and ambition. Where he came from, the student who scored highest on an exam would end up in college, and the student who scored second highest would end up on the streets. I'm an only child, and I was the only bridge between their worlds. When I was with my mom, I had to learn the rules that governed her heart and mind and make them true for myself. But when I reached my dad, those rules didn't apply anymore, and I had to recalibrate to his very different reality. This was hard emotional labor for a six year old, and sometimes it felt like I'd give up and I'd have to choose between my mom or my dad. But I knew that for the sake of all of us, I had to keep trying, and eventually it got easier. I learned to tune myself to their different emotional frequencies, and that allowed me to maintain a strong bond with each of them, even as their connection to each other disintegrated. Empathy saved me, but not because it came easily. My parent's divorce was like an empathy gym for me forcing me to work at care and understanding, and that experience of stretching myself and the benefits that it caused is part of why I study what I do in the first place. Over the years, I found lots of evidence that contradicts standard wisdom but jibes with my own experience. It turns out that empathy isn't really that much of a trade at all. It's more like a skill. We're not stuck at one level of empathy throughout our lives. Certain experiences, like a hateful political climate, can atrophy it. Others like having to manage two very different parents, can grow it. And we can grow our empathy on purpose. Through practice, you make choices about whether to practice empathy or not all the time. Will you cross the street to avoid a homeless person or pay attention to their pain. Will you dismiss someone who disagrees with you, or try to figure out why they feel the way they do. When we practice engaging over and over again, we build an empathy that is deeper, broader, and more muscular. There's all sorts of examples of this, but I'll just give you two. The first pertains to the question that I get asked most of all, which is are women more empathic than men? It certainly seems that way. Sometimes maybe we have stories and there are cases where women outperform men, for instance, in tests where they're supposed to guess what other people feel. If empathy is a trait, then men just might be all thumbs when it comes to emotion. We might be forever stuck in a Venus Mars problem. But if empathy is a skill, then maybe these differences are circumstantial. Two psychologists put this to the test in a classic study. They first found, as others had, that women outperform men on an emotion understanding task. But then they told both men and women, guess what will pay you for being accurate about what other people you might guess what's coming next. But this completely eliminated the gender gap in empathy. So it turns out we're not totally hopeless. If we have reason to practice empathy, we do and we get better in the process. I think we can all practice empathy. Ironically, though simply believing that it's a trait can get in our way. Decades of evidence demonstrate that when people think they can't change something about themselves, like how smart or open minded they are. They shy away from challenges. When they think they can grow, they open up instead. Recently, my colleagues and I tested whether this was true of empathy as well. We had people read articles suggesting either that empathy was a trait which is pretty stable over time, or that it was a skill which is changeable and can be developed. Then we ran them through an empathy obstacle course full of situations that make caring tough. Over and over, we found that when people believed that empathy was a skill, they worked harder at it. They spent more time listening to the struggles of someone of a different race, They spent more energy trying to understand the perspective of political outsiders. When we empowered them, they stretched their empathy past its typical boundaries. As a kid, I was lucky to have an empathy gym. Now my lab provides that opportunity for other people. We've worked with hundreds of college freshmen and thousands of middle schoolers throughout the Bay Area. We instill in these students the idea that empathy is a skill and encourage them to practice it even when it feels hard. Because we believe that Over time, empathic practice turns into empathic habits and eventually empathic people. We're not the only ones in the empathy building business, and I want to tell you about some people who inspire me. Sue Rarr had police training for the State of Washington. He's brought empathy front and center. Cadets in her program like this one, go through mock crime scenes and practice diffusing tense situations by slowing down, asking questions and paying attention to what other people feel. Since Arar took over, officer's use of force has declined all over Washington, especially towards people with mental illness. In a dark moment for American policing, she's cast a light. Life After Hate was founded by Angela King, Tony mcallere and their colleagues, all of whom were once white supremacists, but now have reformed and work to extract other people from the dark place they once inhabited. Hundreds of Hate group members contact Life After Hate each year. Tony, Angela, and their colleagues teach them that although hatred buries empathy, it doesn't kill it, and that even people have lost their way can get it back. Tony and Angela embody this in their own stories. They call themselves formers to acknowledge their past, but also to acknowledge the idea that we're all still forming, able to choose new paths and forge new connections. Tony, Angela and Sue tackle some of the hardest issues of our time, and they teach us that empathy can bloom even in bear in soil. We should all take a page from their book. Earlier, I told you that when people know empathy is a skill, they work harder at it. Hopefully, by now you know empathy is under your control. I challenge all of us to empathize with purpose, especially when it's hard. Let's point our care at the voiceless, the homeless individual or refugee who we might otherwise ignore. Let's point our curiosity at people who anger us, even when ignoring them feels easier. If more of us can make choices like this, we can begin to regrow our collective empathy and mend the tiers in our social fabric. And that's the good news here. Empathy is not just a precious resource, it's also a renewable one. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for letting me play that for you. I just thought it was an interesting nothing else. It gives us something to chew on, to comment and talk about, to challenge each other about. But at the end of the day, I just think living in a time when empathy is the enemy tells you everything we need to know about the culture of this country where cruelty is celebrated and empathy is the enemy. How upside down have things become. Don't lose your empathy out there, and I'm going to work on me and try not to lose mine as well. I will see you back here next time. You take care.
Speaker 1: Follow The Thanking Atheist on Facebook and Twitter for a complete archive of podcasts and videos, products like months and t shirts featuring the Thanking Atheist logo, links to atheist pages and resources, and details on upcoming free thought events and conventions. Log onto our website, The Thinkingatheist dot com m