Speaker 1: Thank you, John.
Speaker 2: It is seven oh five here Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty w h as.
Speaker 3: It's one of my favorite Eddie Money songs.
Speaker 1: Eddie Money's pretty good to me some water.
Speaker 4: We were in Toronto when he died and we got the news and we listened to it all. They were doing a documentary on him on the radio all the way back from Trap.
Speaker 2: It was it wasn't expected, right like you Yeah, yeah, I mean it was in ill health, but nobody talking.
Speaker 1: About you die. Yeah great, So any money a legend, yep, no doubt.
Speaker 2: All right, So we will talk with Rory on Neil of NBC News coming up a little bit later on this morning, and get the latest on what is going on in California. Los Angeles, of course, is getting the majority of the attention for obvious reasons as far as the protests that are going on that probably won't die down anytime soon, but maybe I'm wrong, But again, we'll get the latest when it comes to what's happening. It's not just LA, it's also San Francisco. And then you're also seeing protests happen in other places, including right here in Louisville. It happened yesterday downtown at the Massoli Federal Building near Metro Hall as well, and it was peaceful. A lot of members there were from the Metro Metro Council members, a couple of them folks from from BLM, different community members. And I think you're going to see this continue probably here and and a lot of different places across the country. And seven hundred US Marines from Camp Pendleton have been deployed to LA to support the federal federal efforts here amid these violent protests and riots.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And again, I know there's some that see see.
Speaker 2: What they want to see, I suppose when it comes to coverage footage rather it be photo video of what's going on. But yeah, the there's the amount of of the amount of people from the National Guard as well as the Marines. I mean, I think that tells you that that they're they're prepared to continue to have some real pushback as far as those that are protesting the the immigration situation and the Trump Internet fight. I mean, that's what it feels like to me, that it's another and it's not just playing out on them. It is playing out on the internet. But you know it's also not just on the internet. But last week it was Elon Musk, and this week it is it is Gavin Newsom, who of course is the governor of California. Who Trump is is. I mean, what's the right way to word it. I mean, he's he's threaten to arrest him. He threated to arrest the governor of California, which is not something that you see very often, but here we are.
Speaker 3: I mean, can he do that? That's my question.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think a lot of folks are asking the same the same kind of thing. So this is not a surprise, I think, to some to see that these two guys are on the same page when it comes to this kind of stuff. But Newsom is called the deployment unconstitutional and inflammatory, claiming local police had the situation under control. And he's also suing the Trump administration alleging a violation of state sovereignty. So that's the disconnect, is that you've got law enforcement there in LA claiming that they were overwhelmed to an extent I'm paraphrasing. But then you have Newsom saying that it was under control and this wasn't needed. So Trump then suggested that Newsom could be arrested for gross incompetence. His press secretary said Newsom risks arrest if he if he obstructs federal law enforcement, though no plans are confirmed.
Speaker 1: Once the mention of a potential.
Speaker 2: Arrest threat of arrest, I suppose uh. Newsom then fired back on social media, daring Trump's borders are Tom Holman to arrest him. So that's that's where we are. It's uh, it's it's one of those things that again I just throw it in that that mixed bag of things that that you can't you can't make it up.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's well.
Speaker 3: We've got to see how you know, and you see how fast things can change.
Speaker 4: We went just yesterday we were talking about you know, Trump and eedon Musk and now it's Trump and Newsom and same with the protests.
Speaker 3: You know, these these are going to run their course as they should.
Speaker 4: And I love the fact that we here in Louisville are able to come out peacefully. We had members from all different avenues that come out, even maybe the folks that support President Trump here can come out and speak their mind, but do it in a peaceful manner. And so we don't repeat what we saw obviously during the Breonna Taylor cases down here. But also at the same time, you know people being able to exercise their voice, and I think Louisville, if you can hold your head high in that respect and make sure that.
Speaker 3: We maintain this course.
Speaker 4: But as we've seen in protests like this, it takes one person to kind of throw things for a loop and somebody gets a little old.
Speaker 2: Because that one person could then shift it from being excessful to being everything. But yeah, and these protests are not that uncommon really at all, especially in the last you know, decade or so. But what really seems to stand out currently is that you've got I think you've got. It's not just about the immigration I mean, I think that's clearly what obviously the Trump administration's trying to get under control, and there's clearly people protesting that they don't like the way they're going about it as far as the immigration plan. But to me, there's the local control versus federal muscle fight here, right Like Gavin Newson was claiming, look, we've got this, we don't need you. Yeah, you've overstepped your you've overstepped your bounds. Whereas President Trump obviously sees it differently and is taking action and sticking with what he what he wants to do. So that's the fight. It's local control versus federal muscle here. That's the new layer to this situation, which is again, protests aren't that uncommon anymore.
Speaker 4: No, it's traditionally, you know, the right is all for give it more local control to the states, to local communities, and maybe we're seeing kind.
Speaker 3: Of a flip at the script in this new day and age.
Speaker 2: Yep, all right, we've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way. It is Kentucky and His Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas seven fifteen here at Kentucky and it is Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. We'll have another update on sports coming your way in about ten minutes, and a big story here locally that has really dominated the conversation when it comes to local sports since about maybe five o'clock yesterday afternoon, and that was once it became I guess official, but not totally official. There's not been any kind of statement released, press release announcement from u of L, but Vince Merrill the assistant coach longtime assistant coach for Mark Stoops at Kentucky. In fact, his current title at the website for UK Athletics is associate head coach. And if you are familiar with Kentucky football and the Mark Stoops here, are really at all, I think you are very well aware of Vince Mayor. I don't think it's a stretch to say that he is more known than most assistant coaches on staffs just because he's probably would be a stretch to call him the face. But he's the hype man and it's worked. He's a great showman and a great salesman, which is why he's been one of the best recruiters in college football for quite some time, the different caliber recruit that started coming to play football at Kentucky. I don't want to give all the credits of Vince Mario, but certainly he deserves a lot of it, and I don't think even if Mark Stoops was being honest.
Speaker 5: He would dispute that. So for this guy to.
Speaker 2: Be a long time right hand man of Mark Stoops be a big factor in the success that Stoops has had in Lexington. Decide to leave in the early summer months here to go take a job at the rival, a job that is an off the field role, and I'm sure he'll be compensated well, but wouldn't shock me if maybe he takes a pay cut here because he was making a lot of money at UK and he was the associate head coach. Now he's going to be the GM. And that's tough to really gauge what that role is moving forward, because it could be a different role, same title, depending upon which program you're talking about, because really it's basically just managing the roster. It is handling the transfer portal, being a guy who's the lead recruiter, and he's been good at that, meaning I mean, that's really where that's his calling car when it comes to college football, meaning merriw he's a recruiter.
Speaker 1: But there is a connection here.
Speaker 2: And this is something that I didn't realize until I guess the end of this past season, because there were rumors that this could happen and I just kept thinking.
Speaker 1: Well, man, there's no way.
Speaker 2: I mean, why would a made man in Lexington, a guy who was beloved by Kentucky fans, who I don't want to say he has the easiest job in the world, because I don't want to act as if he doesn't work hard at it, but you know, he's not really held accountable when they lose. You know, he coaches the tight ends and he recruits, and you know, they don't have talent at Kentucky to the level of an Alabama or a Georgia, but their talent level is better now than it's been maybe ever, as far as just consistently. I mean last year they went four and eight, and that roster was not good enough to win the SEC, but it was certainly a roster that was better than four and eight. So I just assumed the rumors that were out there towards the end of the regular season were just that rumors, because it just didn't make any sense for a guy to one leave a place where he's a made man, he's beloved to go to the rival. But the connection that I was made aware of it at that time is that Brom and Vince Marrow were teammates in the XFL. Yeah, whenever Brom of course has that had that clip that lives forever.
Speaker 1: On the internet.
Speaker 2: You know that the the XFL days that is that is I guess where the relationship started, and it sounds like they have had a relationship to an extent since then. The rivalry has clearly been in full effect. But when Jeff Bram and his crew took over at u of L for Scott Saderfield, it was pretty clear that there's there was a level of respect that Stoops and his staff, including Marrow, had for Brom and the way they go about things. And I don't know this for certain, but there has been some talk that even whenever Jeff was at Purdue, he tried to bring up Vince Marrow. So Vince Marrow has turned down other jobs at other places. I mentioned this earlier. He was offered a position on Bill Belichick's staff at North Carolina this offseason, but he decided to turn it down. But it's the rival school that ends up prying him away from Lexington.
Speaker 4: Well, to your point, I looked at some of the coaches who left rival schools to go to other schools, most notably comes Boat Shambuckler, he left Ohio State to go to Michigan. Lane Kiffin jumped from Tennessee to go to Alabama, and then you look at Tommy Tumberville. I forgot about that he went from old miss over to Auburn. That's right, not really a rival. But Brian Kelly goes from Cincinnati to Notre Dame. I remember that day he left. They were playing Pittsburgh. Cincinnati was I remember when he left without telling this.
Speaker 2: Place, and let me guess that was one of those moments where Cincinnati, like a lot of programs, have to kind of humble themselves and realize, yeah, you've been great, Yeah, but it's Notre Dame, right, just like when Charlie Strong went to Texas, like, yeah.
Speaker 3: He's wait, he's on on this list.
Speaker 4: And also I did forget why I met Paul Bear Bryant went from Kentucky to Alabama, now necessarily rivals.
Speaker 2: A lot of people mentioned the Patino situation, which is true but different because he he didn't go from directly from Kentucky to little but still I get it. It's it's that's it. It's an unheard of kind of thing. And then all, well, so the only player I can remember, and I'm sure there's been others, but a notable player that moved from Louisville. From Kentucky to Louisville was the late Marvin Stone, who played basketball for Tubby Smith and then decided to finish his career with Rick Patino. Just things you don't see very often and understandably so if you're on the wrong end of that rivalry transaction, it's probably something that really sticks with you. You know that you don't like because hey, it's the rival you don't want them to go there. I get it, all right, We'll take another break and get an update on Traffick and Weather. We'll also get another update on sports with Scott right here on News Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: Thank you John.
Speaker 2: It is seven thirty six here at Kentucky had this morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas Scott fitzghared alongside John Alden also with us as we've got the full team assembled.
Speaker 1: I have a question for you guys.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, if in fact a Hollywood producer or maybe somebody that is putting together one of the Sorry my fault, but all good, no noorries, somebody that's putting together a series that's gonna stream and be Netflix's biggest series, and they needed a home to film in, meaning they needed they needed to set up and basically be the house that you see more than any other house in this show or movie they want to use your house, would you let them if they paid you, you know, let's say a million dollar one time fee, would you sign off?
Speaker 4: Great question, a lot of it, because you know it sounds great in the beginning, But not only are you inviting the entire world into your home. And I just in fact, I just put a social media post up today about how important home is. That's kind of our sort of fortress of solitude. It's our retreat. But then you've got camera crews and people probably up at all nights.
Speaker 3: I like my routine at night.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not there when they're filming. You just let them borrow your house.
Speaker 5: Yes, oh I got it.
Speaker 1: You get it back.
Speaker 5: But like they're gonna I don't know what about you, John, I.
Speaker 6: Think I absolutely would, and I would take that money. Yeah, I would say yes, because of the money you could take. You could use that money and have a temporary living space somewhere, you know, not near where you live, do something different.
Speaker 2: So the reason I bring this up is because this is a rare situation where the house that was used for this very very popular. I mean, it's one of the most popular shows I think of all time. I don't think it's a stretch to say Breaking Bad is one of the most popular shows ever. And the house that they used in Albuquerque, New Mexico, it is now owned and lived in by a woman by the name of Joanne Quintana. Her parents actually first purchased the house or maybe they built the house in nineteen seventy two, so they decided to let them use it for the show Breaking Bad, of course at that time, not knowing that Walter White and Breaking Bad would become such a iconic show. So what they did is they let let's see, there was a one time location fee for filming that the family was paid. As far as how much money that is, it doesn't say here. But it has led to now the show no longer of course, being I mean, the show has been gone for a long time, and the house still relatively look it looks relatively the same, and it's just become such a burden to where people just show up every day just to say they were in Albuquerque and they were around the Breaking Bad house, and it's it's become to the point where she doesn't want to live there anymore.
Speaker 4: Well, I think a lot of people were coming over want and to eat pizza on the roof from that yes this episode, yeh.
Speaker 2: That's what's happened, is that people, they don't just want to come over and eat pizza. Fans would show up and throw pizzas on her roof a nod to you know, a nod to that scene that is in season three, and they don't realize that somebody lives here, this is their home, Like you actually can be criminally charged for doing something like that. But people don't think that's such a not real life thing because they're looking at a house that they probably got way lost in, not meaning actually in the house, but just lost in the series to where they don't ever even consider, oh, somebody actually lives here. You know, we're not here just to you know, this isn't a tourist spot. So what she's decided to do is take a big gamble. She's listed the home for four million dollars despite its market value being around three hundred and fifty five or three hundred and fifty thousand, so she hopes that there's going to be a buyer that will turn it into some kind of a museum or an airbnb to profit off the fans who she can't stand. But of course if there was a situation where they could. She's a very normal I shouldn't. I mean, I guess normal is very subjective. But she's she's she's got a career. She's not a celebrity by any means. She had the resources to run her own Airbnb out of her own home, Yeah, she probably wouldn't want to.
Speaker 3: No, it's like what they did with the Brady House.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Could you imagine where you own that and you live there. I mean, you can get a moment's piece.
Speaker 3: Yep, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So she's hoping that she can sell it for a lot and move on because she doesn't really want to. I mean, it's it's a home she grew up in. Yah. But I don't think as long as she's there, she's gonna be able to keep the fans from showing up and wanting to get a selfie and just bothering her being in the way. Yeah, I'll never forget. I went to Chicago as a kid. First time I went to the Windy City. It was in the mid nineties. I was a young kid. My favorite show was Family Matters, although at the time when I get just called it the Erkele Show, and I remember they would show you that house in Chicago and they were doing the intro the theme song to Family Matters, and we ended up driving by where it was, and it broke my heart that my father had to tell me they don't actually film the show in there. It's on a Hollywood set in front of a crowd. I'm like, what you're telling me, Carl Winslow's not in there right now in Erkele's next door, it was.
Speaker 1: It crushed me.
Speaker 4: It's the Roseanne House over in Evansville. Yeah, oh yeah, Nowaday, Actually it's in Evansville, and.
Speaker 2: A lot of people show up to the full House house in the Bay Area because it's such you know, you just I mean, a lot of people could pick that one out of the lineup. So anyways, I if you're gonna pay me a million dollars, you can you can use my house for for a while, because that's that's a lot of money to someone like myself, just saying all right, we've got another update of trafficking weather coming your way here on news radio eight forty WHS seven forty six Here at Kentucky, its morning news with Nick Coffee. That's me here on News Radio eight forty whas Scott Fitzgerald and John Old and alongside we'll have another update on news with John Shannon coming up here at eight o'clock. So Game three of the NBA Finals will be tomorrow night, and next year the NBA is going to look a lot different. And what I mean by that is just where you are watching games, because it was a really lengthy process. But TNT Turner no longer going to be a part of the NBA coverage. However, the crew that has become legendary, Ernie Kenny, Shaq, Charles, those guys inside the NBA, they're going to be basically leased to ESPNS, so you'll see them as part of ESPN's coverage. But next year you've got NBC getting back into the mix, airing NBA games for the first time in a long time. Peacock will have exclusive Monday night games Amazon Prime. We'll also have up to I think sixty six regular season games including Friday nights. So this is a lot different than what we've become used to for many, many years. And what's happened is each network is trying to assemble a team to cover the NBA that is competitive, and I'm sure they want it to be the best. They want to say, Yes, you've got a lot of different NBA coverage with different networks all wanting a piece of the pie here, but we want to put the best team together as far as coverage. And there's been some slow gradual announcements from each network as far as who's going to be a part of it. Amazon has leaked has announced some names that are going to be of course, you know, play by play guys and whatnot. But imagine being someone like Peacock or ESPN, Slash, ABC, Amazon, and you're sitting back thinking, hmm, I wonder what NBC is going to do here, and you're expecting them to do something that you're gonna have to counter, right, and you're gonna have to say, Okay, we see your talented edition here as a play by play guy. We've now got this guy as our studio analyst. Well, I imagine they folded their hand, meaning ESPN, Peacock and Amazon Prime. When NBC announced that we've got Michael Jordan, He's going to be joining our team as an analyst, you fold because Jordan's just different. He's and he could be really bad as an analyst when it comes to those who I guess analyze analysts as far as who's good and who's not. But people like me won't care because it's Michael Jordan. And I think because he's been in the background so long, he's not been in private. He couldn't be private if he wanted to. He's Michael Jordan. But he's been involved in sports, an owner, not a great owner, to be honest with you. When it comes to the Charlotte Hornets. He's also been involved in NASCAR, had some success, but he's been He's been behind the scenes incomfortable and content. Michael Jordan could say he wants to talk at any moment, every camera would show up, but he doesn't want to do that, doesn't need that, certainly doesn't need money. So I've always asked myself since since this news broke, what made him want to do this after so many years of being behind the scenes. Well, money talks. The report that forty million per year was the deal that apparently has been shot down by Front Office Sports. They claim that's a big exaggeration. However, he is making a lot of money, which makes sense as to why he would want to do it. But steven A Smith did say on the Sports Illustrated Media podcast with Jimmy Traina that he expects and I don't know this claims that steven A Smith and Michael Jordan are friends. Do we believe their friends or is this stephen A wanting you to believe he's friends with everybody? There was a great SNL impression they did of steven A where he was basically talking about Lebron James is I was in the broom when his son was boil Like, you're just exaggerating, because anytime steven A Smith would talk about NBA players, he would let you know some level of connection that they had, like you know, wanting to let everybody know he's rubbing elbows with. So maybe they are friends, maybe they're not. I don't really know. But steven A Smith has said that when Jordan is going to be in that role as a studio analyst, I think he's going to be a part of some coverage when it comes to games here and there, that he will he's going to be brutally honest and maybe be as critical of NBA play and players as we've ever seen, which see that I could see it just knowing sort of when we have heard from Jordan. Yeah, he's wired a little bit different. That's I think what's made him so great. He's such a competitor. I think not only would this be interesting to see, I think it could be good. I think because sometimes I don't want to hear analysts, former players, former coaches that end up in those roles just take this side of the association because it's the code. I want brutal, honest opinions and you know, people that aren't afraid to tell it like it is without hurting feelings.
Speaker 4: Well, if you watch Full Speed, the Netflix documentary on NASCAR that features Michael Jordan in twenty two eleven racing, and he's very very open in that respect. But he's also what he's good at is getting out of the way in letting fo do what they do best. And I think that's where Jordan brings the best of both. Was I personally want to hear Michael Jordan talk about the game.
Speaker 2: Michael Jordan could talk about anything, and I think I would be I'd be listening just because it's Michael Jordan. He's one of the legends in all of sports. So I am eager to see what he brings to the table. But again, he could be terrible. He could say very little. He could be Bill Belichick for all I know, as far as in front of a camera on a microphone, and I think I would just have that look on my face like, oh my gosh, it's Michael Jordan. It's the Jordan effect. All right, quick break, We've got another update of traffick in Weather coming your way, and also another update on sports with Scott
Speaker 5: Right here on News Radio eight forty whas