Speaker 1: Groutings, friends, and welcome back to the podcast of Jewish Ideas, a Torah in motion production. I'm jj Kimbley. Today's podcast is brought to you by Kestenbaum and Company, a boutique auction house dedicated to the sale of rare books, manuscripts and fine arts. The next auction is on Tuesday, the eighteenth of November twenty twenty five. It features some gems for the Jewish and the Bookish, and you could already place your bids online. You might consider a bid on Lot one hundred and ninety four, which is a fifteenth century manuscript of my Monod's Mission of Torah. Or perhaps if you liked that series on sharp Tit's feet, you can take a look at Lots sixty three and sixty four, which includes some splendid works first editions from Royaku Mden and Rejannison ibishits are, including part of their Battle of Words. Were my academic salary to be slightly less meager, perhaps I'd run for the original copy of a fifteen ninety three papal proclamation calling for the burning of the Talmud. And I know that our producer Elisha here would kill for lock two hundred and sixteen, the first ever English language Kosher cookbook. To see the full catalog and place your bids, click the link in the description, or for more information visit Kestenbaum dot net. Here. On the Podcast of Jewish Ideas, we are currently running a multi part series on the thorny and intriguing issue of Judaism and universalism. In pursuit of enlightenment and insight on this topic, we will be journeying through the full sweep of Jewish intellectual history, from the Bible down to our own day, inviting our ergudiguests to reflect on the many questions and proposed solutions that are brought to the four in the discussion of these issues. On today's episode, we'll be exploring the world of medieval Jewish philosophy and examining the extent to which the dichotomy of universalism and particularism may be used to categorize the ideas and writings of some of the most important thinkers of that age. Our guest today is my old teacher and mentor, doctor Manahem Kellner, who is the Wolfson Professor Emeritus of Jewish Thought at the University of Haifa. And was the founding chair of the Department of Jewish Philosophy and Thought at Shalem College, Jerusalem. Professor Kellner is the author of numerous books and articles precisely on our subject today, including his recent work My Monety is the Universalist The Ethical Horizons of the Mischtah, published by Lidmann Library of Judicivilization in twenty twenty. It is a pleasure to welcome Professor Kellner to the Podcast of Jewish Ideas today.
Speaker 2: Professor welcome, Thank you very much, and masaltove on your recent accomplishment. I'm talking to doctor JJ Kimkey.
Speaker 1: That's very kind to your professor. And of course we'll see. We'll see how the rest of this conversation goes. We'll see if we're still on what such good terms by the end, because I intend to dig into some serious, serious topics here, So let's jump in before we go to the whole discussion of the Rambam and other figures. I've not defined terms a little bit. I'm used the term universalism very often in writing band the Rabam and others in Jewish dupal philosophy. Could you perhaps give us something of a definition or at least explain the parameters of the time as you understand it, then as it applies to medieval jewishilosophy.
Speaker 2: Let me start with two introductory comments, and you'll stop me if I get off the track too much. First, and this is I think very important to note, universalism is not a word in Hebrew, and there is no way of translating it into Hebrew except for saying universaliute or something like that. That has to be addressed. Secondly, it is my opinion, my correct opinion, that the Jewish tradition itself is neither universalist nor particularist, but rather it has elements of universalism and elements of particularism, and certain figures emphasize one kind of element, other figures emphasize the other kind of argument. So that's the first two introductory comments I wanted to make as to what I take universalism to mean within the Middle Medieval context, I e. What my monety's thought. Of course, what my mon's thought is always a vexed issue, since there as many monities as there are people read him. But luckily for you and me, I've got the right mamanity, so we're okay in any of it. I would start with three basic claims, and then if you want, I'd be happy to expand on them. The first basic claim of my monity and universalism is universalism is that all human beings are created in the image of God. No ifs, no butts, no, wherefores no restrictions. Can I call him Rambam. It's easier for me. Rambam takes the opening verses of Genesis seriously, where it says that God created all human beings in the divine image, whatever that means. So I think Rama takes that very, very seriously. A second point is the notion of chosenness is very important in Judaism, notion of covenant between God and the Jewish people. But there are many ways of understanding what it means to be a chosen people, and certainly in the view of Rambam, it carries with it no sense of an inherent superiority. In general, expanding that point, Rombab's God does not endow people with gifts. Rombam's God challenges people to do things, and so Faraba on the idea of the chosen people is a challenge to behave in a certain fashion. It's not a gift that God has given to the Jewish people, the exclusion of all others. And finally, a third general point is and connected to all this is there is a debate in the rabbinic panetic literature, the literature of the messenaics ages, over to whom was the Torah actually addressed. So one side of the debate says that Torab was given to Israel, to the Jewish people. The other side of the debate says that ultimately the Torah is addressed to call by a olum all human beings. So certainly the point that David Gillison I made in our book about my monitoring is that Ramman thought that the terro was ultimately addressed to all human beings. Those like three basic points of the where I understand universalism. Since I made a professor a very long time, I feel like I'll expand on that.
Speaker 1: Or I will I will ask that in a moment, but I want to. I want to made a couple of sort of preliminary questions beforehand, and one of them is a little bit that it seems to me at least and Kramn fam wrong, that there's something about philosophy as such that could or perhaps necessarily does push on towards universalism. In other words, that because of course, the medieval period that we're discussing is the time that Jewish thinkers like my one of these, like Zid you're going, like bas turned towards philosophy, turn towards discipline of philosophy, and of course those days that included science and physicsca. And in order to engage in that, you have to have a basic understanding that those of other traditions have wise things to say and and have some sort of access to truth, and have some sort of ability to to formulate truth and to discover truth in some sort of way. And that seems to me ready to lead or to open the door somewhat to a kind of universalistic outlook. Is that how do you characterize that that claim? In other words, does philosophy necessitate this? Can philosophy lead to it? Is there a much more tenuous connection? What do you say is the connection there?
Speaker 2: I would characterize that claim is one hundred percent correct?
Speaker 1: Fair enough? Okay, that's very kind of you. And then then let me ask, but isn't it the case? There were some who were involved in philosophy who who then went down a very much a non universalistic roots. In other words, how could it be the one engaged in philosophy but then sort of interest towards particularism or runs towards it.
Speaker 2: Well, you're aiming at you, Huda lav Okay, let's let's dive into that that's trying to get to. Let me first say a few words about the other side. Why philosophy leads to universalism. All the people we call medieval Jewish philosophers live Phileo out of the question because he had no impact on subsequent Jewish life. But starting with Sadia go on and moving up until say, the the Gerus Farad the expulsion of the Jews from Spain in fourteen ninety two, you have a long list of people who took philosophy seriously, which meant that they read philosophers. Jewish philosophy in the Middle Ages is a product of exposure to non Jewish sources. If it's Soagia with the klam if it's you mentioned him in Pancudo, with Neoplatonism, certainly Rombaum and neoplatonized aris Ittillianism, et cetera, all the way through. So I guess the best way to make this point briefly is that if you were not open to being influenced by outside sources, you didn't do philosophy. My friend and colleague Evesrabisky once pointed out before his accident that there were two kinds of miemonodeans in the Middle Ages. There were the Tawmudic mimonodeans and the philosophical mimonodeans. The Tawmudiic mimonodeans read primarily the Missionatara. That's the rob bomb of the Yeshiva world today, or I should say the non Zionis Yeshiva world today, and they had no interest in Romam's philosophical writings. Let me illustrate that the mimonodes Ramum's Missionatora, his alot of work, begins with four chapters summarizing the structure of the universe has understood in contemporary philosophy and science. The rest of the book is all you might call straightforward dry, not dry, but straightforward helaja Jewish law. Now, if you examined, say the database that Barilin University put out looking for hyperlinks on my monodes Missionatora, so the first four chapters have almost no hyperlinks to rabbinic literature, and after that the thousands or If you look at a traditional picture of the missionatora, a page of the Missionatura looks like a page of Talmud, a small amount of Rambamb in the middle, surrounded by many, many commentaries. The first four chapters are a lot of Rambam and the one major commentary there is so unimportant that nobody knows who it is. It's called the commentary. So this is an example of the way in which the rabbinic or tom Mudich Mamanodaeans took Rambamb very seriously, but did We're not interested in his philosophical work and largely not aware of it. And then you have the philosophical Maimonideans, who, because they were traditionally observant Jews, knew about the Halakha, but it didn't didn't move them. That wasn't where their heads were at. They were interested in living. So they studied the Guide of the Perplexed Bokim, and they were commentaries on it in respet, sponsors to it, and translated it without paying a lot of attention to his alohic work. So the fact that we focus on people who wrote Jewish philosophy means by definition, we're focusing on people who were open to the cultural world around them. It's important to point out these people were not assimilated, but they were definitely acculturated. The very fact that Saja wrote in Arabic and Rambam wrote in Arabic, and Huda Halevi of all people wrote in ra you don't liive me. The great, great Hebrew poet wrote his Kuzari in Arabic, which means languages carry with them a whole world of ideas. As you know, you know better than me because you write so well in English. But you can't just write a book in Arabic and not know something about the Arabic world. Rama for example, will often sort of like make references to passages from the Qur'an, not because he's a quote, you know, a closet Muslim, because it's part of the culture in which he grew up. In fact, his his Hebrew, as scholars who know more about this than I do have pointed out, has lots of Arabisms. You know, he was. I love to say that to my students. Rambam and I are alike. I think in English and teaching Hebrew. He thought in Arabic and wrote a Hebrew so Yeah, it's no doubt that you're right. Once you're interested in the in these issues, in philosophical issues, you are basically part of a world, part of a culture, part of a universe of discourse which includes the sciences and philosophy, especially in the Middle Ages where science was part of philosophy.
Speaker 1: So with that introduction, now let's move before we dive different into the Rumbam, into who you have portrayed as the rumbums Nemesis on this particular aspect, which is Rabbi Hudan Levy, a poet, philosopher of the eleventh and twelfth century and great work to Kuzaris, He's major philosophical work. And so let me ask you, I mean, could you explain what you mean by particularism in that context? Can you offer your conception of a Hallevi and his and why is he the sort of archetype of medieval Jewish particularism.
Speaker 2: Okay, first of all, he is not the archetype. He's a moderate particularist. When you get to the Zohar you get to really heavy duty particularism. But Halev is a particularist in the following sense. His Book of Genesis is not the one with which you're familiar. In his Book of Genesis, the Jewish people were chosen from the moment of creation. In other words, Adam and Eve had children, two boys who fought and one killed the other. Why because the murderer kane Kayne was jealous of Heavil. Because Heavel had inherited from his parents, answer from his father for all Avi's purposes, a particular we could call a genetic compliment, which made him unlike his brother. And in Alevi's view, in each generation, one person inherited this special genetic component, shall we call it, until he got to Jacob, all of whose children inherited it, and therefore they became the children of Issuel, the children of Jacob, and they were they were suddenly not just individuals but people. Now, why does he have this view? And that's his view, Okay, that's his picture, is his rendition of the book of Book of Genesis, which shows that the Torah was designed from the very beginning of creation to be given to a particular kind of person. Now that particular kind of person carries I have to say with him, I'm sure a Lev doesn't mind having women in the picture, but that wasn't his stick that particular genetic component enables that person to achieve prophecy in principle, nothing more than that. Now, Allavi will emphasize that human beings are human beings, Gentiles can be saintly, he has no problem with it, but he does have a problem with the idea that gentiles could prophesy. Prophecy is something a gift. For rambamb prophecy is something you earn, you create basically if you work hard enough. But for a levy, it's a gift, and it's a gift that's only given to people who have this special gene of using genetic languages, even though it's inappropriate to enable them to receive the gift, and that would be the Jewish people. Does he just jump out of the full blown with this kind of stuff. No, Like I said, there are particular elements in Judaism and universalistic elements. You can find in rabbinic texts, things which emphasized the particular side. Don't ask me which ones, and you can find elements. Certainly the text which emphasized the universalist elements. Now it's not fair to psychoanalyze Haleevi, but I'll do it. Anyway, Alevi lived in a world in which his colleagues were Christians and Muslims. In Spain, the Christians hated the Jews and the Muslims. The Muslims hated the Christians and the Jews. You know the subtidy. They were friendly people. There are also, but by and large they shouldn't say hated, disdained, looked down upon. In fact, in Muslim Spain, where Alevi was born and raised before he moved to the Christian side of the peninsula, there were different kinds of Muslims, because Muslims of Arabic descent saw themselves as adherently superior to Muslims of North African descent. To it, Johnny cum Lately's I remember once I was teaching a college William and Mary in Virginia. I had a student who told me that whereas he came from the southern side of the James River, where he was raised as a child, for his whole life on the northern side of the James River, people still called him a come here.
Speaker 1: So, as you say this, this kind of mild chauvinism is hardly unique.
Speaker 2: That's right. So the Arabs of Spain, the Arabs of Spain as opposed to the Muslims of Spain looked down on Muslims who were not you might say, come over on the Mayflower. So my reading is that Levy was insulted by all this. He knew that he was a great poet, he knew that he was a learned man and accomplished in all the sciences, and yet his colleagues there, the people with whom he had dealings, looked down on him because he was a Jew. Now what's going on here? You have to understand I'm being very unfair. I am assuming that if a Leave had not been insulted, he wouldn't have been a universalist. But that's not fair. You know, Let's just me doing my thing. Viasably poor you and al av. But that's an attempt for me on my part to understand why he he presents Judaism in that light. Now, I want to emphasize, because of things that happened later, he was not a racist, and nobody in the Middle Ages were racists in the modern sense of the term. There were no racist and Halabi did not deny that gentiles could convert. Look, the whole book is I had a conversation between a Jewish Jewish rabbi a Jew. My father, who was a Jewish rabbi, was always amused by that expression of Jewish rabbis if there are other kinds of rabbis in any of it. Halabi's book is about a gentile king getting prophetic inspiration, talking to a Jewish stage and ultimately converted, so conversion was not a problem for him. However, he was enough of a particularist to think that when person converted to Judaism, that doesn't mean they can have prophecy. They remain in effect, you might say, second class Jews, with only with respect to the issue of prophecy and their descendants. He doesn't specify after how many generations, two three, whatever, their children they're grandual release the great grandchildren can become if they've merged with the Jewish people. They they sort of speak that they could say, the tate or the genetic disability of the original convert doesn't go follow through. So he is much less of a of a particulars and people came after him, like some of the authors of the zoar Is. Certainly the morale of Prague, certainly most conceded. Most Jews today, it's important to point.
Speaker 1: That to your much he is let's say, the first theorist perhaps of a kind of particularism, which states that there is something inherently different about Jews, that they possess some sort of all this transcends Hebrews in yoh, right, this sort of divine entity and uh, and that's essentially passed on through the genes, although or you know, parents a child. Unclear exactly why and how a spiritual quality like that would be necessarily passed down. But but and that's what that in his mind is what marks a Jew essentially correct that exactly.
Speaker 2: But and I'm doing my best to present all Levi in the but to my mind are the best possible terms. A Rabbi friend of mine once said, yes, haw Leave's view is that Jews have this unique quality or characteristic. However, before the coming of the Messiah, that's just theoretical, because nobody else is going to become a prophet in principle, Therefore, how Leave should be as welcome him to converse as was Rambam, who was very welcoming. And I have no idea what he thought about that. He obviously didn't have a problem with converting the King of the Kasars and all of his And the book says that the king and all of his nation converted to Judaism, which Alb's eyes was obviously a good idea. Whether or not he believed it, I don't know, but that was the story he told. So I've done, I've done my best just now to present the most my monety in Alevia could find, which is the opposite of what usually happens in most Jewish circles. Rambam is converted to alv.
Speaker 1: Right and uh and and well that's because they in many Jewish circles, they hold Alevi's view up to be a prototype of you know, or something to be, and therefore Rama must be. So shoehorns into that. So let's so let's cross the divide. I'd go back to Rama for a moment. And okay, So for Alevi that something inherents, something irreducible, something genetic, and in the soul that marks a Jew. And your claim is that param is not the case.
Speaker 2: Exactly where did the Jews come from?
Speaker 1: There was a guy who.
Speaker 2: Lived in ancient Mesopotamia named Abraham, who, although he grew grew up in a world full of idolators was smart enough to realize that idolatry was nonsense, and for the first forty years of his life he worried about this subject and thought about it and investigated it, and then had a moment of illumination when he realized that there had to be a cause behind everything we see. And so he discovered that there existed a one, unique God, and in response to that, God made this Abraham, the founder of God's people. But the important point you realize is the way in which the Ramba presents this picture in his work called a Loss concerning Idolatry or Pagan worship Dza. It didn't have to be Abraham. Most of my colleagues were secretary of hearing me say this. If it had been a shaman in Nevada today, a Navajo who was the first human being after the corruption of humanity after the flood to rediscover God, then the Torah would have been given in the Navajo language. The narratives of the Torah would reflect the history of the Navajou people, the holokhauv of the Torah, which would in its essence be the same as the terra as we have it. But it's outward clothing would reflect Navajo culture. Now Raba doesn't say that. Okay, he never read Tony Hillermann, so he doesn't know about the Navajos, But that is the upshot of what he says there. God did not choose Abraham. Abraham chose God, and Abraham's children had a hard time with that, so much so that when they were in Egypt they became idolaters. God had to in effect take them out of Egypt and retrain them. All this Rambam says was by way of it was recompensed to Abraham. Because of Abraham's discovery of God. God promised him, and promised Abraham that he would become the progenitor of a nation especial nations, not specially in any hardware terms, but especially in the sense that they were the nation meant to teach God's Torah. Let me put to you like this, Judaism was meant at first to be Abrahamic. What is Abrahamic Judaism is the Judaism monotheism and Menschluchkite good behavior and ram I'm basically in the thirty second chapter of the third part of the Guide, he tells this story how God gave Abraham no commandments, but you know, he had certain marks like circumcision and all, but there was no there were no commandments for Abraham to obey, but he was meant to be a progenitor of a holy nation. If holiness is obviously reflects not inherent qualities, but the way you behave I say, obviously that would be rob BAM's view and mine as well for that matter. And so the Jews went down to Egypt and reverted to idolatry. So God stept them out of Egypt and brought them to a place called Mara, where there was bitter water, and they had to throw a log into the water to sweeten it. And there the Book of Exodus says that God gave the Jews to shabbat the Sabbath which teaches creation in cooring Rambam, and gave them a series of commandments to obey about interpersonal behavior. Do you need fine? So that's the second kind of Judaism that God was aiming at my understanding of Rambam. Then we get to Mount Sinai and the Jews and Moses failed to synchronize their watches. So Moses go up for forty days to Mount Sine. It disappears. The Jews keep looking at their what and where's Moses, Where's Moses? It doesn't show up, so they build the Golden Calf. That's when God says, Okay, this is not going to work. I'm going to give them everything you need to replace Idolatrist worship, only it's going to be for a monotheistic God. And so you have the creation of the Tabernacle and the priests and the Levites and the whole apply of Jewish law to keep the Jews separate so they will remain remain loyal to the notion of mantheistic notion. That's the picture Ramba presents in Guide three point thirty two, connecting it to the first chapter of Laws of Idolatry. Now that means there's it could have been different, just like the laws of Juraism could have been different if they have been given in a different period.
Speaker 1: And so okay, so that is that.
Speaker 2: This is yeah, I've shocked you.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm sorry, list, I've you took an entire course. I wassusing the entire course on this subject. This is uh, this is you know, this is good stuff. But then okay, so with the Rambam heat so Judaism was given, aspects of Jewism were given, you know, in stages. I suppose as a response to the weeks of the people is fair enough, in which case I mean so. So then then let me ask what the RUMs is left for gentiles to do? And what is what is what is their role? Because in even levies, because sorry, it doesn't seem to be very much for them to do. But you'd expect if if indeed my mom is universalistic as as you as you claim to them, surely as as you have claims, if you've written about and you've you've proven. That's a very strong word, especially in intellectual history. We don't use words like proven. But given you substantiated, let's say, okay, so what is the role what is the difference in the role of gentiles between as in these two thinkers.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's a really very good question.
Speaker 1: It is the question that is begged by this particular difference.
Speaker 2: Right. Let me start by telling you a story. A friend of mine, a rabbi in America who is very my mind, and told me that he once asked three of his teachers at you Shiv University of all places. Does God listen to the prayers of gentiles? So one said, of course. Second rabbi said, of course not. The third rabbi says, I have no idea, and I don't care. Rab I'm agreed with the the yu rabbi who said, of course, God listens to the prayers of other people. Why why are there so many? Goam? The famous entomologist from Harvard your school, I forget his name, said God must be in orderly a love of beatles, because there are so many varieties.
Speaker 1: Of them, A shoal proof, a proof of that particular proposition.
Speaker 2: That's right. So I ROBM doesn't actually address the question of why are so many gentiles? Uh, it's a fact, that's the way that I mean. He didn't even know about the Chinese, right, You know that India existed. You know they were billion of them. I guess at the time that there weren't a billion, but there are quite a few. Certainly, He had no no knowledge of the Americas, or of Africa or whatever. I mean. He knew that Africa existed because he lived in Egypt, right, But that's about it. I think it's a fact. That's the way the world. You know, after the after the flood and after the Tower of Babel, people split up. According to the biblical story, I don't think they have a role in Rambam's view, Well, that's not fair either. In his discussion of the Messiah at the end of the Missionatah, he makes the following surprising claim, which was by the way censored for most traditional texts because people couldn't handle it. He says that the job of the Christians is to teach the world very notions of in his eyes, quasi monotheism, but the idea that there are commandments and stuff like that. The job of the Muslims is to teach the world monotheism, to make it possible for a Messianic process to take place. In other words, in his view, even though he thought that Christianity was a form of tritheism and of idolatry, but he thought that Christianity and Islam had a messianic role, and that role was to in effect monotheia is the world so that the Messiah could come. Like I said at the beginning of our discussion, Rambom doesn't believe in God giving out gifts or toys. The Messiah will come when the world is ready for the Messiah to come. God doesn't send the Messiah. We have to earn the coming of the Messiah. We have to create a world in which the Messiah can function. So, in effect, if I'm right about that, and I am, but I am right about that, you can't He says, you need the Christians and the Muslims to make your world a place in which the Messiah can function, because the Messiah is also a job for Ramba is to teach the whole world Judaism. So I guess that's the best I can do in answering your very challenging question, why are there so many beetles, I mean so many gentiles?
Speaker 1: Right? Well? In which case that that leads to another question, which I you know, which is the flip side of this, which is then, well, what is the role of the Jews? In other words, or put it put it most extinctly, what is special about the Jews in this world view? Again, in the Halavii world you it's easy to see what'special about the Jews. They have something inherent, a part of the soul or something like that, which is which is capable of some kind of ultimate connection to the devine therefore Jews alone can have prophecy, ett et cetera. There's it's easy in that world view to see what is special about the Jews and why. But if again, my money is a universalist, then what is then? I suppose the Jews are what I possessive possession of special doctrines or special practices that are supposed to be told you, what do they have that is different?
Speaker 2: First of all, there's nothing special about the Jews. Let's be rare, okay. Jews are human beings. Gentiles are human beings. They share that one hundred percent. What's special about Judaism is that teaches the truth, whereas Islam teaches close to the truth. Christianity teaches a little bit further away from the truth, but they don't teach the full truth of monotheism, of fulfillment to the commandments that make a community a community holy by virtue of its being just. The Jews are not wholly in any kind of inherent sense. People who behave correctly, who behave in fulfillment to the commandments which create a holy humunity, become a holy community which is expressed by its behavior, not by its essence. My friend, Professor Danny Lasker likes to point out that the old days, before you were born, we used to talk about IBM personal computers and clones of IBM personal computers. You may have heard about that.
Speaker 1: I think we study a history of science or something like.
Speaker 2: That, right, And the difference between them was that the IBM computer's hardware was considered to be better because both the IBM computer and the other and the clones worked on the same same programs, but the hardware was considered to be better. So if you could afford, you bought an IBM PC. According to Judah Levian people like him, the difference between dw and Gentiles and the hardware. According to Ram, the difference Drew and Gentiles and the software. Like Danny says, in the in the programs they run, so to speak, and programs can be changed. That's why for rambamb conversion, he's serious about it. Obviously, he's serious about everything. Is not a talent, not an issue. He has a very famous letter to a man named Ovaja who became a convert in the Muslim world and was offended by things that his rabbi told him. So he asked rambab Rama, first of all, said nasty things about the rabbi and then said, look, the bottom line is you have to understand we born Jews are descended or connected. Our yukis, our connection is to Abraia Mazagan Jacob, your yukis, your connection is to God Almighty. You know you're more of a jewo than we are. Also, we're Jewish. This arma doesn't say I'm adding it. We're Jewish because we were born Jews. You chose it. Nowadays the expression is Jews by choice. Clearly, from this it turns out that Rama had a great deal admiration for Jews, but whereas al Aby would accept them. But there was always this asterisk.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So we before you went down the path of my monetizing hallev and now I want to ask about the possibility of halleviizing my monodies in the sense, now if my monodies does have this this basic theory of a universal general knowledge and truth, and that the Jews specialness is derivative of the fact that they have this truth and they know this truth in this but to teach this truth, et cetera. So well, firstly, are there limits to my monodes universalism? In other words, are there elements of his thought that don't quite fit with this, or or let's say, inconvenience to your overall reading of him, let's start with that.
Speaker 2: Well, one of them is very unfortunate. He was an unbelievably harsh intellectual elitist. So my moldy is as a universalist in the sense that everybody is in the club as long as they have a Harvard PhDe. But if they don't have that, they haven't achieved that level of intellectual success, then they're simply not in the club. They're barely Humian. This is you know, this is not a Jewish position. Brom Bomb is here, he's basically talking Aristotle or Aristotle as he understood him. Look, it makes sense. Aristotle defines human beings as rational animals. Right, if you're not rational, you're just an animal. So that's brom Baum's view, and that's, you know, not not the view of the traditions of Judaism. But that's one way in which his universalism is. Uh is always say unfortunate, how you would not be guilty of that? Since all the Jews have this inner in jan Luis Elahi attempt his quality and it doesn't matter how smart or and how educated you are. Now. On the other hand, I have proven to my total satisfaction that ram Bump thought that women were also human beings and the Middle Ages, that was a striking claim.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to say that that's not quite as common as it sounds.
Speaker 2: No, right, it's very much not as common as it sounds. So there's like that's a kind of universalism. Also, he wasn't a feminist in our terms. He was, like might say, a philosophical feminist, not a sociological feminist. But in his day and age it was very unusual. He and Varois had been rushed were basically the only two people in the Middle Ages. I'm exaggerating, but there were very few people actually agreed with this view that women are created in the needs of God fully my friend ral Bog, I mean even been gershow in twelve eight to thirteen forty four it says explicitly that women are like monkeys. They look like human beings, but they don't have the intellectual abilities. That's this is a more standard view. So that's another version of what I would call my monitors and universalism. Can I continue on this riff?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Please? Another way of looking at it is the laws of Judaism for my monodes halaka Jewish law is not a is not a divine need meets Gomar says, God needs these commandments, no, their challenges to behave in a particular fashion, and if you do that, you're so to speak, in the in the Jewish club. But there are also seven laws for gentiles to obey, and then you're a very good gentile. It's not as if there's nothing gentiles can do to achieve a share of the world to come. That's an important point. The world to come is restricted for Rambam, is restricted to people who've gotten into the club, which means JJ, after one hundred and twenty years, you and I are going to be very lonely there.
Speaker 1: I mean, if we could, you know, we'll just have a never ending us on this particular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be fine, you know, it's not. There are all kinds of jokes about that. The sky dies and it's being shown around heaven and they go past a big corridor and I'm not hope I don't offend anybody. And as Saint Peter so To speaks, walking down the road, they passed the door and say, Peter says, should be quiet here, and the guy says, why do you have to be quiet? He says, this is the Mormon heaven. They think they're alone here.
Speaker 1: You could substitute Mormon there. For for many faith traditions, it's not a moment specific joke.
Speaker 2: This is the philosophers. They think they're all in here, right.
Speaker 1: So, So this is interesting because when one says the word universalism, one brings to mind a more tolerant, expansive, inclusive form, a worldview in which you know, everyone has a place, everyone has a roll, et cetera. Whereas one of the interesting things about my Monestine system is as you've presented it is that while it is more open and expansive towards non Jews who have correct philosophical opinions, it is distinctly unfriendly for Jews who have incorrect philosophical opinions, even if they are simply mistaken.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's another point that is where Ramam is simply wrong. Jewish law allows for making mistakes. You know, you, I don't know whether you turn out a light on the Sabbath or you either cheezburger by accident, whatever you do, Oh grase, you made a mistake, so there are ways to fix it. You repent, but if you have a mistake about the nature of God, it's unfixable unless you retrain. In other words, there's no inadvertence in theology. For Ramam there is anadvertence in Jewish Lawkaga Hebrew. There is no room for that in theology. That's not a Jewish view as far as I'm concerned. So this is another place where philosophy is I think sort of taken has influenced him too much, But he's being consistent. You know that heaven is for rational animals. If you're not rational, which left his animal now you should be.
Speaker 1: It's not just rationalism, that's the most interesting thing about. It's merely that you exercised your irrational faculties and came to some sort of inclusion. For him, the conclusions he comes to are in his mind so inescapable that if you have not come to them, so those very specific conclusions, then you have.
Speaker 2: Not used your mind properly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, it is impossible to be a good philosopher and comes to different conclusions than him.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. Rambaum would not admit that Heydergirl was a good philosopher.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I had to go return the favor.
Speaker 2: Fine, But but Heidger couldn't say to Rombaum that he was a lot, So there's no I mean, ram he was not alone in this. You know, Perfection is not a salami you can slice all into various parts. A perfect human being is perfect morally, and that's very important for Ramam. You can't become a philosopher if you're immral, and in his eyes, the best way to be moral is to fulfill the Jewish law. It's not the only way, but it's the best way. And for Jews it's an obli obligatory thing. A question which he never addresses and for which I have no idea how he would handle it. Is, what do you do about a person born in a Jewish Jew, born Jew who becomes a saintly perfected philosopher but doesn't fulfill the commandments? Rambaum, the rabbi would not want to admit this guy to heaven. Rambam the philosopher has no way to keep him out.
Speaker 1: Well, the rumbum could simply reject the possibility, at least the theory to reject the possibility that someone could become a puffet philosopher without keeping the commandments, at least for a Jew. But the problem is.
Speaker 2: That how is that possible? How do you you know? Aristotle, he says, reached the level of perfection just before prophecy. He says that explicitly in his own language and a letter to his translator Samuel Libinjimmin. So he clearly thought they were gentiles who could achieve. I mean, he knew them, He had friends there. He had a wide circle of Muslim friends with whom he corresponded and who helped him out, who protected him. And he didn't live like a He didn't live in the world where only people spoke yidish. Far from it.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, Now, let me ask another question, which is wasn't Rumbum entirely system throughout his life and suddenly within his own the boundaries that he himself set out? In other words, did agree with himself?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Or put another way? Could my money, sorry, could rum up gains my money just heaven or vices? I can't remember tell you how you titled it.
Speaker 2: I read an article with that title once.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I've referred to it. I just kind of which way around it was. But did the rum of himself stand up to his own very stringent categories.
Speaker 2: I would like to think so, but like everybody else, Rama was a complicated person. Now, if he took his own views about intellectual sophistication seriously, he would have been a miserable human being to the unsophisticated, to the irrational. Yeah, we have lots of evidence that he took his job as a kumul rabbi as a judge seriously. And for example, he first comes to our notice in letters that he wrote this is so appropriate nowadays. It's so sad, trying to raise money to free hostages. That's our first evidence of Rombaum's public behavior. We have letters in the kiro Genese of some guy writing home that he went to visit the Rombam to ask what we would call in the innershek klutz contra a stupid question. I don't remember what the question was. We asked a really dumb question. And he went there with his little boy. So he writes, I was taking into see the great rabby Moses, and I told him my question. He said, wait before I answer your question, how was the little boy? He gave him some lemon cookies, and then he answered my question with great deal of respect and sent me on my happy way. So I mean that guy obviously an idiot. But Rambaum certainly acted according to the quality criteria of noblesse obliges. He knew that he was of the nobility, but that obligated him in certain forms of behavior, so he also he was If he was consistent, he would not have been a communal rabbi. He would not have been a judge. He would not have led the Jewish community. He would have just spent his life in the uh in the Cairo Palace there with the what's his name, Saladin's nephew was running things and basically spent his time in their version of Widener Library. But no, he was deeply involved in the community, and he writes in the famous letter to samely been Jimming what his daily life was like and how much energy invested in running things in the community. As my wife likes to say, if she reminds me before I teach a course or a class in rama, she always says, remember to remind them that Rabbam was also a rabbi, and.
Speaker 1: He was the perpetual temptation of philosophy professors to forget that convenient, that important fact exactly.
Speaker 2: My colleagues very often forget that he was also a rabbi. So so that's the sense in which he was not really consistent with his own theories. And remember when he committed time to the Jewish community, he was harming himself because his understanding of the world to come and you earned what you earned there is what you learned here. So if he spent one minute less on his philosophical meditation, he was harming his eternal life right the set in the theory. So so he's a complicated He was also, Look, he was very proud of his son Abraham, a very proud father, and we have letters to that effect as well. This way, he was a proud father. But he never mentioned his wife.
Speaker 1: You must have had a wife, I mean, I don't think it was the style in those days, tom among.
Speaker 2: You know, and we know who his fall in law was. We have no idea who his wife was.
Speaker 1: I'd like to move a little bit too to maybe other parts of the medieval Jewish philosophical world and simply ask whether those who out did Halevi on the particular side or out did my monoties on the universalist side, and one of you set up these two major thinkers as of good I don't know archetypes is the right word, but but things who exemplify these two strains of thought. But you know neither of them.
Speaker 2: It's well, I our mutual friend Marty Miller, who by the way, just got an article accepted to HTR.
Speaker 1: The ultimate achievement, I should think absolutely uh.
Speaker 2: He has written a lot about the picture of gentiles and capitalistic in Zohar literature, and it is a complicated book. You can't you can't still to speak, says, But there are passages in the Zor which say that gentiles are born with defective souls and there's nothing that can be fixed about that. That's the that's that's the nature of being a gentile. Is your soul comes from the realms of impurity. And that's way beyond anything Hale ever had nightmares about. So and there's many such passages in UH in cabalistic literature. Not only there are also other aspects of cowbola that make it sound almost my monody in but the the part that got accepted by the Jewish people is largely that aspect of it. As to your other question, where there are more more my monornity and than my moderity.
Speaker 1: Is my mind us within h Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know. In other words, there are people like motion our Boni, who uh was a I don't know what he thought about universalism. He was he thought that rob Bum held the world was uncreated, for example, which made his Drama was not also a rabbi, that's for sure. So there were certainly people who Look, why was this such a huge debate about philosophy in general and Ramam in particular after his death. Look, he died in twelve oh four, and soon thereafter the Jewish world, at least first of all the jew the world in the Middle East was torn over the question did he believe in resurrection? But then the world of Europe was torn over the questions can you study him at all? Remember his books were burned, the whole question about who did it and why? But it happened. There were people who were very sensitive to the aspects of my monody and thought, which made it uncomfortable for them. One example, which I think would be helpful. Whereas Rama never says this explicitly, he clearly held, I'm convinced of this that in order to be a good Jew, you had to be a scientist. In his terms of science, the secrets of the Torah were physics and metaphysics. And in order to love God, he says that this He says explicitly in the first two paragraphs of the second chapter of Mission of Torah the Laws Foundations of the Torah, Chapter two, that in order to love God, you have to study God's works. Now, Bob makes the point very helpfully. In Exodus thirty two, God says to Moses, I'm sick and tired of these Jewish people. Let's wipe them out and start the whole story over again from you. Your descendants will be the new Jewish people, which is sort of funny because moses descendants are never mentioned, but leave that aside. And so Moses says, no, if you're going to destroy the Jewish people, Mia, wipe me erased me from the book that you wrote. So Bob says, well, what book could write. Most see that and think it means that Torah. No, Robot says, it means kill me, remove me from the world that you made. The world that you made is the is the book that God wrote. This became a motif later on in the just before the Enlightenment, a lot of people talked about God as the author of the universe. So here we see robot basically adopting a mind and in view, to be a good Jew, you have to keep the commandments, et cetera, and study the book that God wrote. There are two bad God wrote two books. I think rob Bam held us clearly, Torah and science. Now there are a lot of Jews then and today who would tell me you can't possibly believe that, And that's why some of them said, don't study Rambam. I mean to this very day. I used to visit Lakewood quite often. I have a lot of family the Liquid New Jersey. It's a you're it's just scheduled from Europe. That stills somehow managed to get to the to the.
Speaker 1: East, pointed chet Settle.
Speaker 2: These days, yeah, now it's really yes, they it used to be a lot less nicely appointed. But in any event, I went into the very big Jewish bookstore they're looking for asked where they have the guide copies of the Guide of the perplex They sent me to it like a side aspect, aside whatever, And they're in a section called Kabbala Jewish bitsticism. That was the only copy of the Guide in the perplex and now Kabala in the Shiva world is not something you study. The Ashkenazi chival world, the smartishchival world. It is certainly much more widely studied. So clearly they thought that it wears on the other side of the room. There were like twenty five different editions of the mission Torah. Do you go into any standard you shiver in the world today, any standard Ashkenazi, non Zionist y Shiva, and there'll be the bit be drash will be full of copies of the Mission of Toura and the commentaries on it, and the commentaries on the commentaries on the commentaries on it. You will never find the Guide of the perplexed. Whereas you go into a Zionist y Shiva here in Israel and extent in the United States, you'll find lots of copies of Alavi the Kuzari, and also a few rumbums, a few guys of the perplexed. So, yeah, how did I get onto that?
Speaker 1: Well, it was it was going down various lines of you know, are there more mimonode than my Monotheans? And and and why it was the truth is that Rambam's reception is an important is important part of this part of the story, because, of course, in many ways the Rumbam does win out in the sense that his works, especially the Missister, are eventually given private place on the Jewish bookshelf. But do you think, let me ask you, are there any aspects of my monody and universalism that get adopted in later generations? Because you seem to be You've implied several times your opinion is that essentially the Haleve view one out. And I want to ask him, is that is that the case? Is that was the victory total and comprehensive? Or are there aspects of run mother's universalism which which sort of ends it into the mainstream.
Speaker 2: I would be happier if I could say, yes, Look, there are obviously people who agree with me. There may be only ten of the whole world, but there are those ten ominion more. But uh by and large, No, I mean there are people like say Hermine Cohen, who certainly appreciated my monorites, but was not Sabbath observant. True his my minorities. He was very Jewish Harmon gohn Ah, but he grew up in an observant tone, but he didn't keep it, so he was not. He was certainly of my monor d and universalists, but not the kind of universalists my Monotyes himself, would have preferred. Uh I met a loss to think of. Look, his influence was vast. I'm right now writing an article about why while there are many my Monoradeans today, there are no Gersonadeans.
Speaker 1: What would characterize a gus D in this sense.
Speaker 2: Well, anyone who takes them seriously beyond you know, every people. Look, I just a new book came out. I think it's called The Rootlets Companion to Jewish Philosophy. I don't know exactly. I have an article there where try with our friend Marty Miller, So I sort of skimmed the whole book. Rama was mentioned, I know, let's say it, almost every other article. There are thirty or forty articles there. So in that sense, his impact, his philosophical impact remains huge. Or thirty forty years ago, Arthur A. Cohen and Paul Mendis Floor put out a book of essays on Jewish theology. I forget what it was called, And actually I read the whole book. You know, one of the few people in the world who did it my sympathy and there you know, each the articles on all kinds of subjects, death, life, love, purity, whatever, almost every single article says my monety says. That's how they start. And one of the reasons is is very important. Another reason is that he had seems to say about every topic, but I would say, here, I think I'm on firm ground. Rambam is one of those few people who if he held a position, that position thereby becomes jewishly legitimate. Interesting, you cannot take a sentence a position held by Rambam and say that it is jewishly illegitimate, which is why so many people have to interpret him to say things he didn't say. May I tell you one story along those lines, please please?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Many years ago I was teaching at the University of Kaife, of course on Rambam. We were reading the chapters in the Guide of the Rebels to deal with Providence, and in my class was a woman who was one of the first people who became a calal employer in the rabbinic courts. It was very unusual at the time. And to end it, Rabanite and her husband was a Diana reminted court judge. So I met him once at some kind of event in the city. I don't remember what it was, and he says in typical Rabbinic language, he says, hey, meaning me, because third person taught the Rabbani to my wife that according to Rambam, divine providence doesn't extend to everybody. And I said, that's true. And that's what he says in the seventeenth chapter of the third part of the Guy that the perplex and this guy, this guy, this rabbi says, well, there are three possibilities here. One is, we all know that the Raman wrote his book in Arabic, and maybe this translation that you're using is simply wrong. The second possibility is perhaps people who were produced the text garbled it. And a third possibility he says, of course, then he asks, He says, of course, I don't think this is possible, but just fill up the picture. Maybe his honor naming me is wrong. Doesn't understand the text. He couldn't handle what Rambam wrote black on white, right.
Speaker 1: He couldn't. He didn't want to add in the rather obvious fourth possiblity, which is that he himself was wrong.
Speaker 2: Exactly that couldn't be. Or briefly, a very good friend of mine was teaching in a synagogue in a town in New Jersey called dot Teck. He gave a hold of me on the Sabbath. Here he gave a long talk about my monitory and universalism. And after the Sabbath, the young man took him aside, and we say, in the nick language hawk Demagini for an hour how the Rambamb could not possibly have held the views that this guy attributed to him. And so my friend ripped out all kinds of relevant texts to show them in The man was himself the son of a of a Russian ship at Yu himself will learned a Jew. So he finally had to admit, yes, that's what Rambam said. But then he said, but so what we accept talvi not rombum. At least he was willing to admit that's what Rambam said, but made a difference to him.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing. But the very fact that he questioned about the Rumbam, and trying so hard to fight that the Rumbam said what he thought he said daily belies that idea that, oh, we don't hold the rubb no. Obviously, my monodese is significant enough that they continue to be arguments to this day, debates on which you have participated in. What exactly my monodese said meant?
Speaker 2: Like I said, he is so important that he can't be ignored. He has to be I love this. The story is told that when Shakespeare was first translated into Yiddish, the title page says that you know, all the plays William Shakespeare are tuched when far Bessert translated and improved by the name of the translator. I must try to find out if that was actually true or simply an urban myth. And I got all kinds of answers from friends on the internet, so I'm saying, yes, we saw the book. I'm saying it's an urban myth. In any of ate. Rambam has been for thousand as well, since twelve o four, subjected to translated and improved over and over and over again. His text the Bistrata, has been rewritten. Various passages have been excised or simply changed a little bit. Doesn't take a lot of work to change them to make them sound from more religious, which is why it's important to use a correct text, because very often his text has been subjected to for Titians for our bessert translated and improved.
Speaker 1: And see see the upshots of your answer seems to have been of the questions I asked how many minutes ago that indeed HALEEVI has won and the Rambamb you know, difficulty to amount or that he hasn't really enswered so much to the mainstream. Is that is that still the case today? Can you there shall we say Jewish thinkers or streams of judas and today that you think accurately represent the Rombam's blend of universalism coupled with very strict adherence to the law, coupled with a philosophically minded pursuit of closest with God. Something like these various components that you've pointed out on my monety's position, do they simply don't exist anymore?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, look, Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sachs was not a specialist in Rambamb, but a very smart man, and he was without constantly citing Rambam. He was very my manager. He was a rabbi, He was a chief rabbi, very concerned to divert himself to the needs of the Jewish community and deeply acculturated. That's so without relying upon Rambam explicitly, I don't think Rambam shows up all that often in his writings, but he was. That's an example of a very Mimoitian figure. Another example could be a rabbi solo Agic who does quote Ra momb A lot, but he's rama of the mission tour is, he's all over the place, but he himself was a communal leader. He was a rabbi and very very acculturated. So that being my monody in the sense that we've described him here this afternoon or by in your case, by this morning, he was also my monity in that sense, the sense of being a Jewish leader who was swam comfortably in the currents of the philosophy around him, who held his own in that kind of thing. So they're many such less well known individuals whom I think we could call them, you know, modern Mimnodians in that sense, But in terms of universalism that's a harder sell. Resolvation was very open, but he certainly was more hall Avian than Rambambian. And the questions of the Jewish people, I do my senses that are by sex was more more of my wand and than hall Avian in that question.
Speaker 1: But and you never had the opportunity to ask him.
Speaker 2: Well, I've met him on several occasions and we talked to a lot of things, but I don't remember that this particular question came up. But he he he liked b bumb.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, We'll have to do the final question I like to pose, which is a question I like to post to many of my audiences that if you had to sit down for dinner with the stund to dinner with the subject of your study, namely in this case thrombam Uh, what would you be asking him? What would you want to approach? Firstly, what do you think the experience would be like? Would you enjoy it? And more than that, what what would you what would you want from him?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's an embarrassing question.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I often say I wouldn't want to meet the Rambum because he would expect me to be thinner than I am.
Speaker 1: Yes, he would. Then all of us I would have to be much more disciplined and and what's the word like sparing in our physical lives than we are.
Speaker 2: Secondly, I would have a hard time speaking to him in Arabic. We could we could converse in Hebrew. That's the amazing thing about the mission of Dora. I translated one of the fourteen volumes. Say for Ah, the Book of Love, it's all about prayer. But he writes so clearly, Unlike my friend Roald bog who's who loved ambiguous santecedents. Rarely do you have a question about what Arama was saying. Because Hebrew is so pellucid, and I use that word crystal clear. So we could correspond in Hebrew him in me. You wouldn't know all the slang I know, but we really could. It's amazing how as good as Hebrew was. But to answer your question, what would I ask the rahmbum? I mean, I would want to convince him that you don't have to be a philosopher to be a good person. I would want to convince him that the Jewish tradition is right, and that you can be a saintly fool.
Speaker 1: And and you can be a foolish philosopher as well or a scoundrel on the philosopher.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely right, you could. You'd also be a scount you could be I mean, I don't know. I've read little bits of Heider. Girl. You don't understand a word. I don't see why people find them so important. But yes, there are plenty of foolish philosophers good philosophers. There's a famous story told about an expert on Jewish ethics who beat his wife at the university many years ago. So when he has called out her and he says, look, mathematicians are are not expected to become triangles.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've heard that story many guys, in many forms, so the version of sory, but essentially, and okay, let me ask you think the Rambum would be possibly receptive to your to overtures.
Speaker 2: I can't look it. Them died in twelve o four. A few things have happened since then. One of the many reasons I try not is if people ask me what I'm say about X, Y or Z, I usually say I don't know. I can tell you what he actually said about similar subjects, but what he would say today in our reality, that's not a fair question. It's not fair to ask him either. First we have to give him eight hundred years worth of updating. I mean, this is a guy me, a guy who revers rombum right. That should have been clear from their conversation.
Speaker 1: But even though you spend a fair amount of the conversation saying how you don't think the rama is rights about this, So do you think he's right about that?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not on my Ownerdan right. I hope to be Rambaum was. I think like my teacher Stephen Schwarzschild was not looking for cosidium. So he would have taken criticism in stride because he will He wanted people to use their brains. He himself is always like he's constantly correcting what he wrote and asking people send him corrections if they found mistakes, and that's an important aspect of his personality, one of many reasons to admire him.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think at this point we shall have to draw the cutting down. Professor Monachal Kelna, thank you so very much. But Johnny yesterday on the podcast Jewish Ideas, this has been a splendid conversation and I recommend the readers to peruse many of the excellent books that written in particularly the subject, and we look forward to seeing your future output on these issues.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for Johnny, Thank you and good luck with your job.
Speaker 1: This has been the podcast of Jewish ideas by Tora in Motion, produced by Alisha Kellman and myself Jjkimbri, edited and mixed by Alisha Kelman. You can stay up to date by subscribing in your favorite podcast app. To support the more thoughtful Jewish content like this, please visit Toro in motion dot org. Slash donated