Speaker 1: Welcome to the Gods I View Podcast. I am your host, Trevor back the second time in podcast Studio Alpha aka my wife's office aka a shed I built. I hesitate to call it a shed. It's pretty nice. We've got French doors, we got a dormer, we've got six windows, we got a c it's pretty sweet, pretty sweet, and for one thousand dollars, I can give you a backstage two. And I'm kidding, but we do need to figure out a way to monetize this thing. No, I kid, I kid. It really is. As you often remind me listeners and emails, it's a it's a form of therapy. It's nice. There's something about the rant, there's something about the intellectual rant that's helpful. But the problem is, I don't know anyone in my day to day life that I can rant about this stuff with, because you got to be a kind of a specific person to be, you know, not like you. You might think even you out there like, oh, you'd love to talk about this stuff. But the truth is, I think it's fun to listen to. But as far as like having this type of conversation in real life, it's it's a little overwhelming. It's a little much. It's kind of like, can we just talk about the weather? You know? And so the one place I might go where I could find people who would be interested in talking about this stuff, you know, the university, my work colleagues. I just get I get so annoyed by that because they just disagree with me. You know, I want people to disagree with me. I mean, I want people to agree with me or at least perspective. But academia is so it's a reductionists. Now that that's difficult. So I'm excited to report that there are finally in this theory has been around for a while, but it's getting a lot of traction lately. There are finally some theories of consciousness that I think I would hesitate to call them purely reductionist or purely materialistic. Now they are physical, but there's something about them. They've got a little bit of something. I think. They still suffer from some of the same problems, but it's new. It's sort of a new dawn in neuroscience. And we're going to talk about that theory tonight. It's called integrated information theory. Now, I did a debate once and no It's funny because it was agreed that it wasn't a debate, but it was. This guy said, hey, could you come talk to my buddy. He's an atheist and he's like obsessed with AI and let's have a debate. And I said, no, I'm not interested in having a debate. And he said, okay, well just come have a talk the conversation. So I said sure. And so I was like kind of looking to have a talk and the guy was like, very quickly, like I need to understand what you believe so I can argue against it. And I'm like, oh, buddy, well, I mean I guess this is what I believe. And then he's like hitting me with this tough It's like, oh boy, and basically his position, you know not. It's funny how often non scientific people are like enamored by science. And so his position really was that, hey, we figured this out. We figured out what consciousness is. It's called it. And he showed me a Nature paper and he said boom, I win. And you know a couple couple things. I am not really approaching this topic as a consciousness researcher. I'm just approaching this topic as I would say an educated layman. Yes, I do neuroscience research, but I don't study consciousness. You know, I study neurodegenerative disease and cerebrovascular disease. And so you know, if someone presents me with the Nature paper and says it's figured out, you know, I tend to take their word for it and just sort of retreat to my natural skepticism. You know that often we overinterpret findings. Often scientists make category errors. And so what I didn't know at the time is that I the theory he was espousing as the physical or the the reductionist materialistic answer to my fringe and wacky views that consciousness might be more than computation actually didn't support his position. You know, if I had just known more about it at the time, I could say, oh, well, interesting you brought that up, because that theory is more in line with my beliefs than yours. Anyway, Alas can't win every argument, so it might be good here before we play the clip. This is one of the best clips I've ever heard on I So you're in luck. It might be worth just clarifying the position here that we take on this show. And you know, if we have a recurring topic. It's this topic. And so what is the position? What is our you know, assuming you agree, what is our position here at the God side View podcast? And I think position is that consciousness is not excuse me, consciousness is not merely an epiphenomenon. And so to unpack what that means, it's not merely an emergent property of complexity. This isn't in the public, this is in the like pop science community, this is the most popular position in neurosciences, becoming increasingly less popular, but it's still preferred to something like the spirit or the soul, right, But at his heart, what it means is like, hey, you see when I show you an apple. If I scan your brain while I show you an apple, this part of your brain becomes active. Therefore, that part of the brain is what produces the experience of appleness, of seeing an apple, of having memories about times you've made an apple. It's all wrapped up in these neurons. And this is called the neural the neural correlates of experience. So when you experience something, what part of the brain becomes more active or less active? In harmony, whatever that part of the brain is. We can now say with certainty that this part of the brain explains the conscious experience of that thing you saw or smelled or remembered. And you know, certain parts of that circuitry are merely pragmatic, right, Like there are parts of your brain that merely allow you to interpret color and shape, and you know the the boundary, the threshold distinction, like where's the edge of the apple compared to the background. And we might call that like your primary visual cortex. But then there's another much more complex part of your brain where you have the conscious experience of that information, that visual information, and you might have an association with a memory. You might think about what an apple tastes like, what it smells like different apples you've seen. This is called association. And somewhere in there we think is the conscious experience, because in the moment where you report having the conscious experience of seeing the apple, this part of your brain was active. This is called neural correlates of consciousness, and it's for the most part how neuroscientists study consciousness. We don't buy it. We acknowledge, of course that you cannot have the conscious experience of seeing an apple or you know, et cetera without that basic hardware, but that the experience itself is fundamentally distinct, because of course you can imagine a system that could see an apple and respond to an apple and retrieve important information about apples without a conscious experience, like chat GBT for example. So clearly there is something else, There is more to the story. That is I think our basic position we are not automatons having an epiphenomenal conscious experience. We are embodied agents, and consciousness is some core feature of who or what we are, and it's unique, and there's a lot of room for mystery in that, in that space of trying to answer this what is traditionally called the hard problem of consciousness, how do you get experience from matter? All right, let's jump into the clip. They start the clip off talking about the start of this research and Francis Quik was a big part of that, and so we're going to pick up right there with that conversation.
Speaker 2: They're sort of approach to it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Was still a bit sort of materialist in a sound sort of old place for from neural Garletts. So okay, I nailed d NA. Francis creek. Right, Okay, now we can let's nail consciousness just finding the neurons so exactly.
Speaker 3: So now coming coming to the to the question.
Speaker 4: A bit there where we can be very grateful for these these pioneers for at least sort of blowing this box open that that we can even talk about the topic. But of course, what they what they did or I can you know, to give Francis quick As as an example here he basically imported certain let's say, paradigmatic assumptions from biochemistry, which is great. I mean you have to start bootstrapping from somewhere, right, So basic assumptions about biochemistry and a certain I guess mindset of thinking about emergent properties right in a biochemical sense, right, you might, for example, in a really simple sense, you might say life is an emergent property from certain biochemical processes or something, or even before life, you might talk about other you know, higher levels of biological organization or biological functions that somehow emerge from you know, this this biochemical substrate. And so they imported this way of thinking into the first research done in consciousness science. And so this was very good to get things off the ground, to get the search for neural correlates off the ground and so on. But you know, to quote Julio Tononian and Christoph Koch who often say this, the problem is that if you start from the physical world and you try to squeeze out consciousness, right, I think that's the way it really often says it. You know, it's never going to work. You're always going to be left with this this classic thing called the hard problem of consciousness. Right, if you're starting from the substrate as being what you what you think to be the base level of reality, right, you're always going to have this hard problem or this explanatory gap between you know, what you know about this physical substrate and and and the and the fact that consciousness is so qualitatively different from that, You're always going to be left with this sense that it's not really scratching your itch of explanation, right, there must be something else there. So yeah, so this absolutely is I would even say it's it's pretty predominant in the field still that people approach the question with this sort of emergentist thinking, and it's also applicable from a computational functionalist perspective. Well, for the most part, the notion of emergence might be a bit different if you think it emerges from some you know, information theoretic construct or some mathematical you know construct or something, or if it emerges from some neurofiring pattern or something, you know, the core kind.
Speaker 1: Of think about think about the degree of magical thinking you have to employ here. You know, we've got to be better about not letting the popular science people or even many you know, very professional neuroscientists. You need to be better about not letting them get away with insisting that their position is clearly the most logical, makes the least amount of assumptions, and has the most straightforward logic chain, right, Because to say that, to sort of wave your hands and say like, oh well, just sort of emerges out of firing patterns, this is speaking a desire into existence. It is not actually explanatory. It's just a statement of belief. There is no actual mechanistic explanation being conveyed. And usually, as like a layperson, you hear them say that, and you just sort of assume that that mechanistic explanation must exist somewhere. However, it does not because it can't because it's a category area. They're just explaining a correlation. They're showing you, Yeah, the brain looks like this when you're thinking about this, and it's like, okay, I can accept that as fact. Fair enough, Okay, So how does that explain consciousness? Oh? They're like, Oh, that's it. That's the end. You know, I've heard this good kind of example of like it was an interview with Sabine Hasenfelder. Actually I think it was Alex O'Connor and Sabine Hasenfelder, but I'm not sure where he said. Hey, you know, to me, it seems like, excuse me, I've got like a tickle in my throat. To me, it seems like like he was saying to Sabine, let me present you with the scenario over there is a light bulb, and as I'm talking, it turns on. Occasionally. Through experimentation, we can sort of figure out what you might call a scientific explanation, and you might say, you know, I notice that every time I hit like a high note, like if I ask a question like hey, what do you think about this? And I sort of have an upward inflection, it lights up. And I could run a series of experiments and I could go like, oh and I could say that was embarrassing. I could hum different notes and determine predictably that the light turns on at this time, and so I could write out a predictive model I could show, I could run all these empirical experiments in multiple trials and show at a frequency between this and this that light bulb illuminates. Right, correct, right, he says, just so, being correct, and she goes, yes, absolutely, And you know the question then, is is that an adequate explanation? And some being said, yes, that's as much as you can hope for in science. And I actually kind of think that's true, because I think that is the domain science should operate in. But clearly, clearly that's not what Alex meant, right, Like, clearly that's not a satisfying explanation. You know, we want to know why who put the light there? You know, why does the system exist? Or you could even go deeper into the mechanistic explanation of like, you know, how does it work? You know, is it that the sound waves are vibrating some membrane that's connected, like you could you could even take like a detailed mechanistic chain that would be still scientific, but a better explanation, but really at the end, at the end of the day, we want to know, like why is this here? Does somebody put it here? You know, what's the point of it to serve some role? Is it arbitrary? You know? And scientists kind of like to pretend like they explained the latter with the former. You know, they like to say, like, well, since we can predict when the light will turn on, therefore we know why it exists, why it turns on, who put it there, how it got here, you know what I mean. So they'll often they'll often sort of try to do that slight of hand in conversation. And I think if you are someone who listens to popular scientific explanations of things, you have to be kind of vigilant for that. That is a that is something that is sort of slipped in, Like if you're listening to Richard Dawkins or Neil de grasse Tyson or you know, they're really bad examples. But even like much more credentialed and sophisticated scientists will make the same mistake.
Speaker 4: Pattern is more or less the same, and it is very different from that. It has a totally different approach to the question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm actually again sorry to depose again already, but he makes this claim that it is very different. I'm not really sure if that's true, but I'll let you be the judge. We're gonna listen to twenty minutes of this. It's long. We normally don't play that long of a clip on the show, so I'll do my best to listen in and try not to interrupt. But no promises indeed. And I find it funny that wasn't that there? It is bat between Dave Chalmers who sort of first phrase.
Speaker 2: The heart problem of consciousness? Right, how do we get from sort of the neuronal activity in our brains to mind the water of the wine of consciousness?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then there was this bad I think also between Christoph who was still sort of finding those cologies and he lost it. Right. So, so where we are right now is that the art problem is pretty much established. I do think like in society and and and culture at large, we find it very hard to do not think that complex computational systems systems can give rise to consciousness. Right, So why exactly in I t is our touring machines that let's stick with computation. We have nowadays. Are our big l l ms are in the end all turing machines right? And why can't they be conscious?
Speaker 3: According to I T, Well, you have to look under the hood. In I T.
Speaker 4: What I mean by that is you have to look at how things are built, not just on what they do. So so, uh, you know, something that we often say in I is that consciousness is a.
Speaker 3: Question of being, not of doing right.
Speaker 4: So it takes a bit to you know that, maybe contemplate what that really what that means. But in more practical terms, most paradigms are functional as paradigms, meaning it's about about doing something right that you think consciousness is about somehow performing a certain function or computation something like that.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 4: Llms can indeed do much of what we can do, and especially if it's combined with some advanced robotics and so on, it'll end up being they'll end up being able to imitate our behavior assumably, you know, I would assume perfectly eventually. But the problem from it's perspective is that they're not built the right way right quite simply, where it says consciousness doesn't isn't produced somehow because of some sort of a function that you're doing, right, you can have you can build a system that is, let's say, functionally equivalent to a human but the wiring, to make it very simple, the architecture, the neural architecture is going to be completely different from from a human brains architecture. Then it might end up doing exactly the same thing, right, it might be just as intelligent, right in the way that we measure intelligence based on behavior and functions and so on.
Speaker 3: But because of the way this thing is built, because of how.
Speaker 4: It's wired, it it isn't an actual It isn't a conscious entity.
Speaker 1: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: I liked and you looked to know his book five where he compares it with the brain to sort of ads lark camera because we talking about images and is seeing stuff. I can our cameras here a I've reraten on a app sort of a Seamas sensor that reads out the photodiodes and gives the picture in the end. Right, So we end up both the picture and actually the cameras nowadays might even have a eye a resolution picture than I do. But if as you say, we look under the hood, I see quite neatly organized photodioids on that sensor that correct me if I'm wrong. Aren't truly interconnected the one it's next to the other and doesn't connect to the other one. It's just in the end of the processing it gives us that image. So I guess then integrated information as that photo camera is not integ integration low, processing power probably high. I can give eight K video stream image, so that's good computation output high, but integration low exactly so, and then the theory would say, Okay, therefore the camera is not conscious because it's integration is.
Speaker 3: Low or even non existent actually in that case.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you can think of the way most computers today are built. I mean, by the way, before I say too much, I should give credit to especially my colleagues Graham Findley and Billy Marshall, who recently came out with a great paper that's called Dissociating intelligence from Consciousness.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't have papered by heart, but it's interesting.
Speaker 4: We call it computer consciousness for short in the description.
Speaker 2: Actually, nice to just park that one for a bit, just intelligence versus consciousness.
Speaker 3: It's just yeah, well, but it's this question.
Speaker 4: Actually, if you know l l M's basically indeed, you know or it's even to some degree that the camera related to the camera past. So in a really simple sense, you know, computers is how they're they're typically structured.
Speaker 3: People refer to it as feed.
Speaker 4: Forward processing, where there's not a lot of cross talk between modules, right, and so information is kind of sent up, sent up this hierarchy and different you know, feed forward streams in through different modules and it ends up being processed at higher levels and then you know, create some sort of an output, right, and so a you could in theory build a a neuromorphic computer and it would say something different about that case. Right, You can just table that though, but if you just compare the way you know, computers are also your your digital camera there, the way it's wired, it's totally different from how the brain is wired. Right, and without getting into too many details, you know this the LLM or what the computer powering the LLM, it's simply as a whole does not have a what we would call a maximal of integrated information.
Speaker 3: It simply isn't.
Speaker 4: It doesn't hang together you could say as a single entity. Right, it doesn't actually hang together. It hangs together for us when we look at it, right, and its functions seem to hang together for us as external extrinsic observers of it, but in itself, you know, to use an it term, it's intrinsic from its intrinsic perspective, if you will. It's not really a thing, right, it doesn't hang together as a thing.
Speaker 3: But if you look at a human brain, it.
Speaker 4: Indeeds or at least certain parts of the brain. We should be very precise the substrate of consciousness, which is a sub portion of my brain in I T. It's predicted to be a region mostly of posterior cortex. We call it the posterior hot zone. And this, this part of the brain is wired completely differently right in a fully integrated system. And interestingly, to even draw a parallel to the brain, there is a certain part of the brain that's actually wired more like this computer I.
Speaker 1: We'll pause right there. This is incredibly compelling number one, just to let you know. However, I worry we're in danger of making the same mistake where we just attribute something we see as explanatory. Now it's a little bit tougher to make that case with I T I T is a much more sophisticated theory than just neural correlates. But I almost think you could argue we still just start talking about neural correlates. So let's think it through a little bit. Well, maybe we'll actually make the pro I case. First, there are parts of your brain. You notice he's not really defining, like he hasn't really explained what this means. Like he's describing a computer as like or a picture like a chip, right, and all the circuitry in the computer from our perspective, From an extrinsic perspective, it looks like one thing. But one thing is a pretty vague definition, actually, and I think I argues that you can be more sophisticated in the way you describe like thingness. And the word they use for this is integration. And I don't love that because integration actually means something different in neurophysiology. But that's okay. And I've been really desperate to try to understand what they mean by integration because they say it all the time, and they're talking about there's more integration in this part of the brain. So that's where consciousness is. And after a bit of searching, it's actually much simpler than I expected. So you can think of the way a computer works as largely being like a serial processor, like an if then type of thing, and the actual circuits are in series. That's sort of an oversimplification, and it's sort of a feed forward, you know, so you start in one spot and end in the other spot. But integration would imply almost like some recursiveness and some crosstalk, and so there is this like feedback loop rather than a feed forward processing. And the more of this you have, the sort of the more self supporting circuits you have, the more conscious that region of the brain would be, or theoretically like an AI could be. Now, I don't know. I mean, we've known about this stuff forever, and we've known that the brain operates this way as divergent circuits and convergent circuits and parallel processing and serial processing. And it is true that the more complex parts of the brain that we've traditionally always associated with consciousness tend to have more of that. So in a sense you could argue that this really isn't a new theory, because I mean, this has sort of always been my understanding. We have these things called multimodal association areas, or these big swaths of the brain that have tons of inputs from all the other parts of the brain, lots of neuron crosstalk, meaning there's a lot of neuron firing going on between neurons in the same region. Like it's just highly networked. And I don't know, I don't know if this is true, but I would assume there's also a lot of like feedback loops in this part of the brain in terms of the actual neural architecture. And so these areas are called association areas or multimodal association areas, and they've always been associated with consciousness. So I just don't know if this really solves the problem. However, it does present a new challenge for people like me who try to sort of pump the brakes on this kind of stuff, like this rush to assume we could invent consciousness in machine AI consciousness the new line I think is going to become well as soon as we figure out how to actually mimic neural architecture in conscious regions of the brain, we can produce consciousness. And you know, so it really is just the same argument as we've always had. You know. The thing is the first wave of like AI in the in the seventies, like Frederica Fijien. We've talked about him on the show before, Joseph Wisenbaum. Uh, but Federico Fagen specifically, he was really into trying to do this, like he he. I think he might have coined the term neural networks, the idea that you can make AI systems that look like the brain in terms of their actual you know, circuitry is the wrong word, but their actual the actual mathematic they use too to produce language. And I think they ended up kind of moving in a new direction and now now it sort of works quite differently. It's it's just a predictive model, but it's very linear rather than recursive or having like a feedback loop. So I don't know, I think it's a good time to get into this space, Like if you're looking for a job for your kids. You know, I'm a millennial, so like I feel like the story of the millennial generation is like all the device, all the advice we received was terrible, you know, like, yes, borrow money, go to school, because you get if you don't have a degree, you're screwed, you know what I mean. And I generally think that's good advice, but really really, all that happened is now like a bachelor's degree became like high school to bloma. Everybody's in debt. Everybody got in house since they can't afford. There's a financial crisis. Right when everyone is telling that people to save, you know, invest, save invest, everyone loses everything. It's just been a series of catastrophe. And so the advice, my instinct, the advice is to say, don't get into academia. That's what everybody's saying right now. Everybody's saying, don't get in academia. Don't get in academia. But I don't know. I think it might be a good time to push kids into the sciences, because yes, the reputation of science has never been worse. But I do feel like a hunger to do better, you know, and I think it is kind of a manifestation of that, even though I still disagree. I don't think this is it. I don't know, But that could just be the religiousness in me talking, you know, because there is this I think sphere that if we were to actually figure out how consciousness works, that might do something to invalidate religion or spiritual spirituality. But actually that maybe is silly because you know, we believe we're created. You know, this is this is a Christian not just Christians, but this is a basic fundamental Christian doctrine. As we believe we were created. So why with enough time and energy and smarts could we not create something that is conscious? How would this invalidate anything? I mean, this is a really common argument in origin of life research or you know, in uh yeah, because people. This is a huge tangent. Actually, I actually have a clip for that, so we'll do that maybe next episode. They some scientists recently claimed to have produced cells from scratch, and it's a hot topic right now and evolution talk and research and religion and theology and stuff, so we'll talk about another time. Let's just get back to the clip.
Speaker 3: And that's a cerebellum, right, this little mini brain that we have.
Speaker 1: I talked for so long, I should remind you. So the point he's making is that there are parts of your brain that do sort of work like a computer, like a traditional linear processor, and the cerebellum is one of them. And interestingly enough, the cerebellum is not related to consciousness. So it's a good argument underneath.
Speaker 2: Okay, there do neurons have less cross stalk.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, the writing is much more modular, much more feed forward. It kind of imitates or the way typical computer architecture is sort of imitates a bit the way a cerebellum works. And interestingly, one of the very early insights that Julio had as a neural.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I have to interrupt, so I'm in the shed. My is here with me. He's playing on his iPad. He just looked over at me, gave me a thumbs up and said, hey, you're doing good on your podcast. I love him, man, he is literally the best. Okay, sorry, sorry for the interruption.
Speaker 4: Scientist was it seems awfully curious that the cerebellum is something like three fourths or four fifths of the neurons in the brain, something like sixty billion neurons, I think. And apparently you can severely damage it, or people can even be born without a cerebellum and it doesn't really affect their conscious experience. Of course, it'll affect your ability to walk smoothly and to speak and to.
Speaker 1: This is like a common misconception. People assume that you know, the bulk of your brain is dedicated to emotion or language processing, or cognition or memory. But no, by a huge margin. It's dedicated to being able to move around. It's insanely difficult to just move around. And this has sort of been a problem, you know, for the complexity is the root of consciousness crowd because the parts of your brain that are the most complex in one sense, in the sense that they have a lot of neurons, and neurons are extremely complex, they have complex architecture. So you could argue that, hey, if four fifths of all the neurons in your brain are for movement, you know, then then why why aren't why aren't those super complex parts of your brain? Like why why why isn't that it that the conscious parts of your brain are complex? Sorry, that was a weird way of saying that, And I kind of attempts to answer that question because they say, you know, those parts of your brain are structured differently. They're structured the way a computer is structure, and so it makes sense that they're not conscious because computers aren't conscious, you know. But the parts of your brain that aren't related to consciousness are structured differently. That's the claim, and there certainly is some truth to that, But you could just as easily argue that they're structured differently because they do different things. You know. The reason there's a lot of complex circuitry in an association areas because you're tying together multiple brain regions. You know, you like for your visual association cortex. I mean basically you're you're pulling in you know, there's fibers running from the primary visual cortex and there's there's a lot of connections with other brain regions. So you can relate visual experiences to memory, sure, but also to language. You know, if you see your friend, you need to trigger that that pathway right that allows you to produce speech. Hey, how's it going? You know, Oh, I seen you just reminded me that I forgot to get back to you yesterday. I'm sorry, you know what I mean. Like there, it's it's language, its memory, all sorts of things. So, so of course those areas are going to have more inter connections because that's what that part of the brain does, is it connects disparate parts of the brain. So anyway, so that that but it's a good argument. You know, it is a really good.
Speaker 4: Remotor skills and so on. But your conscious experience apparently is is unchanged, and so that should be a very interesting insight, right, So there is a bit of a parallel. This is one of the original you know, intuition pumps that Julio had for thinking about about consciousness.
Speaker 3: And there is a total parallel.
Speaker 4: Between how computers are typically wired and how the cerebellum is wired.
Speaker 2: And very rough term that I find interesting because that to me, that really helped me to sort of that's really in favor i'd say of I t as sort of a scientific theory to to sort of measure so to speak, consciousness, because up to now we had to do with like the reports and then you would end up just like maturing test for consciousness. Because yeah, but that we are already there, right if if if I talk to our lll ms, how do you feel to get like a conscious simulation will be a hard so that that's already passed. But now we have a way to say because in humans you can damage the architecture that is the same as the l l M you're saying, So the cerebellum, we have a sort of actor if we can and and still the person reports consciousness or or shows consciousness and where if we damage the cerebrum, so in the hot song we damage stuff that then we see consciousness.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and certainly being damaged in the right areas. Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 2: In I T you can measure the amount of integration, right, and that's called fire.
Speaker 1: It's maybe good to mention here, Like if you have a more confrontational perspective like I do in regards to what consciousness is, you need to be careful what you allow your actual opinion to be, because if you start finding yourself saying things like or thinking things like, the brain doesn't produce consciousness. It's kind of a problem because like we know, there are these specific areas in your brain that if you damage them, you're no longer conscious. You know, so clearly, clearly you cannot be conscious without a brain. The question is what is it about the brain? A mechanical structure, a physical structure that can give rise to subjective experience? Is there some other what you know? That's why I like the quantum theories, and of course it's not lost to me the obvious parallels between sort of like the quantum strangeness and spirituality, you know, entanglement, blah blah blah, so you know, I like that, that's interesting. But if you start kind of I don't know if I want to go as far as to say you can't be conscious with that, No I do. I do. And so this is not to say that there's nothing that could exist without your body, although, you know, not to get theological for a second, but this is I think sort of a misconception about what the Christian belief is. And my friend actually called me out on this. Who I've been arguing with about theology is you know, the word soul is an interesting word because if you actually go look at how the early Christian use that word, how the ancient Hebrews use that word, how the God of the Old Testament describes the definition of that word. It doesn't mean like some force that can exist apart from the body. Soul is very specifically a person. The word soul is used the way the captain of an airplane might use the word soul like you know, Delta seven three two, three hundred and forty souls on board. You know, it just means person. Now, there is a word for what we would traditionally call a soul, but it's very specifically from God, and that word is spirit. And so the implication and this comes down to like how people interpret the state of the dead and stuff. This is like theologically complex, but there are many Christian denominations that I don't really think of heaven as a place you go spiritually, like as a disembodied spirit, but rather instead, and I think this is backed up scripturally, is that you know, well, this is this part is definitely backed up scripturally, is that when you pass, you cease to exist until judgment Day, at which point you are literally resurrected. You're given a new body, and you know, a glorified body when that doesn't age or whatever. And so actually it's kind of interesting because the the actual like I would say, I don't know if traditional is the right word, but certainly a large portion of Christians believe this. It's and that is actually very combatible with some modern scientific explanations for consciousness. You know that you need you need this easing, complex machine called the brain, plus something that's sort of difficult to describe from God, his breath or spirit. And certainly I think there's all sorts of really amazing and complex things that could be So so I think I actually am pretty comfortable saying that you know that you cannot have conscious subjective experience without a physical brain, because what would that even mean, What would that even mean? You'd have no sensory input, you'd have no ability to form memories. And this is something that's really critical about what consciousness is and what memory is. You know, consciousness the brain, and the brain allows us to experience linear time if you think about it. And I had this conversation with Mike Weist. Go back and listen to that interview. I'm going to keep it, and I think it was kind of profound. Actually I hate to admit it, but this idea that if you're in free fall, if you just jumped out of an airplane without a parachute, if you didn't have the ability to archive subjective experience like frame by frame, would you know you're falling? And your instinct might be well, of course the wind is rushing past me, you know. But no, no, because that wind rushing past you has a temporal component. Time is a part of that. You have to move through the air in space, yes, but in time. So if you cannot archive that experience, that linear temporal experience, then no, you're not falling. So what would what would conscious experience even be without that machine brain that allows you to archive experience. The question then is just well, but it's still you still have the hard problem of consciousness. There still is this mystery of like how do you actually have subjective experience? And it is interesting because you know, what does God say his name is in the Bible? It's being itself? And so isn't it just weird that the one part of the brain, just the one part we can't figure out is this this concept of being? So the one part that's elusive, the hard problem of consciousness, right, the subjective experience aspect just happens to be the thing that was breathed into us at our creation in the biblical account. It's interesting. I mean, listen, you can read the Everyone reads the Bible. They come up with their own ideas. They're trying to project things onto it and pull things out of it. I'm just spitballing, but it is kind of an interesting coinket in you know, don't you think, like, like, man, we've we've we've mapped the brain. It's amazing, We've figured all these things out. How this works. It's oh, there's a wolf howling. I wish I didn't have my background noise suppressor on. You could have heard a wolf can't be a wolf, must be a coyote. Do you hear that? Is that your iPad? Or is that your iPad? Such a nitting I wish I could edit that out? Is that really your ipet? It's so funny, it sounds so real. Oh my gosh, that was so embarrassing. Well, I go on walks around here and there are coyotes that how but they don't sound like that? So, yeah, that was dumb. We don't have wolves here. What was I talking about? Anyway, That's fine, let's keep listening.
Speaker 2: That the way to put it, ye okay, how to measure it?
Speaker 3: To measure okay?
Speaker 4: Well, so this is where we can really distinguish IET as a theory, right with a capital T, a theory of consciousness, because it of course takes certain insights into how the brain is wired, how the brain works, and so on. It takes it uses those insights to inform the theoretical development. But the actual theory itself is highly mathematical and based on working with what we call toy systems, right, toy models and the reason So it might mean for example, a model of six neurons. We can call them neurons, but we tend to use a more generic term like unit, because it might also be modeling, you know, entire mini columns in the brain, or even whole.
Speaker 3: Cortical areas of the brain.
Speaker 4: Right, So we just say we try to build our a model of six or ten or whatever units. Right, you can think of them as neurons for now, and in order to become a proper theory, at least from it's perspective, right, with a capital T, you want to be as precise as possible, right with what you're what you're really articulating.
Speaker 3: You want to be more than just a good a good metaphor or a good.
Speaker 4: Kind of hunch, right, but you really want to be as mathematically rigorous as you can.
Speaker 3: So with this aspiration, we.
Speaker 4: Intentionally work with idealized uh you know, toy systems right of neurons likeness. So the way that that this calculation of five, right, the way this is done is very precisely formalized based on these these toy systems.
Speaker 1: I kind of went on a long monologue there. I should point out this is a very important section because most likely if you're listening to this. No, it's not fair, because I I've listened to the forty minutes before this portion. This is to me the most the part I'm playing is the most interesting part. But you know, when I got to this part, I was finally like, okay, finally, because the whole time you're like, how is this different than anything else? You know, how is this different than any existing idea? And what's different about it is they can they claim to be able to measure it. They claim to be able to measure integration. And that's interesting because you can measure integration and someone who's asleep, someone who's awake, someone who's dreaming, someone who's under anesthesia, and theoretically you should find you should have different levels of integration at these different you know states. I'll admit though, it's very confusing because before this I was thinking of integration as a physical, a structural, architectural feature of parts of the brain. However, if you can have different levels of integration in different brain states like sleeping awake, then clearly it's not you know, it's no longer architectural. So now I'm a little bit confused because because now it's sort of starting to sound like a neural correlates again, because this is what we do in fMRI. We see what parts of the brain activate at the same time. We call those networks, and we can measure the degree of connectivity in a brain region. And so to me, this just sounds like basic neuroscience again. So I'll admit I am sort of struggling to understand what's unique about this, but let's listen.
Speaker 4: The major challenge and as a shout out to any possible postdocs out there, but the major challenge is then saying, Okay, how do you relate this theoretical model, which is very elegant really and very insightful, right, offers a lot of insights also into thinking about what to look for in the brain and so on when you look for neural correlates, etc. But scaling up, if you like, from six neurons to eighty billion, it's.
Speaker 3: Not so easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so just as a simple example, I think the software that we use right now, it's called pi fi, right, it's a Python software to use to calculate five I think it maxes out somewhere around maybe thirty thirty units, and then beyond that it's just astronomical the amount of compute you need to actually compute five precisely right, somewhere between twenty to thirty.
Speaker 3: I think it maxes out.
Speaker 2: But the interesting thing to me is that you can have a system that sort of computationally has the same power, right like say, is a very simple toy system as you color, like like six nodes, and then computationally you have one that is only has feed forward like modular computation as we know it, and the other one is higher, very eighth grade. If it would put a scheme, it would be like, yeah, just like lots of cross connections. And then it predicts that even if that system which has a high, perhaps even as less computational output, it still is more conscious than that system that is not integrated.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That's sort of an implication of the theory.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you're yeah, yeah, so any I mean, and I'd be curious.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but I asked it's to distinguish between intelligence and consciousness because it points to the fact that sort of our l ms can because we are so wired to associate those two together complete. We always see That's what Christoff solved me. Also in nature, we just see this line if consciousness. If intelligence goes goes goes up, consciousness goes up. And that's we're used to this curve, and and and and and that's what's so weird the times we're living in that maybe we now systems that are super intelligent but not conscious.
Speaker 4: So they can be completely dissociated within it's framework, right intelligence, you might have something that's hyper intelligent, even way better than you and I are with any you know, human or quasi human function, but completely no no consciousness, and vice versa. You might have a system that's highly conscious but not intelligent, right believing, So this is what I would predict, right, they're totally dissociable. But it is also useful to point out that in nature what we probably see and this is let's say, part of the implications of it more than the actual formalism of the theory itself, but in nature because of pressure of evolution. Actually, our colleague Lariss album Taki has done some work on this to show that there is arguably evolutionary pressure, which is of course functional pressure right to survive, there is evolutionary pressure that ends up favoring integrated systems rather than you know, frag or modular systems, right, So there is you know. So I'm trying to say, even though these these intelligence and consciousness can be dissociated in theory, and they should be, right according to I, in evolutionary terms, probably they usually go together, right pretty tightly.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because points to me, it points to that that consciousness has a function in an evolution. Well, I believe why else would sort of evolution favor for systems that at that integration, that that that evolution favors for what it is like to be something?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think I'll be I think it'll be a slippery slope.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: The reason I kind of, you know, shake my head a bit is to say, this sort of framing of the problem. Yeah, it's very very commonly adopted by let's say, functionalist frameworks to somehow justify why consciousness is sort of along for the ride, right. Yeah, But it's a little it's a slippery slope because usually the way the paradigms that that these the paradigms of these theories are treating consciousness as just another function, right yeah, And and I guess from it's perspective it isn't.
Speaker 3: Just another function.
Speaker 4: I mean from from yours and my intrinsic perspective, it's literally all there is to existence, I mean our consciousness. I mean without consciousness, what are we even? What are we even talking about when we talk about existence?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: I mean this is the this is the approach that I would take there. So, yeah, I don't know. I think in it's terms, we probably wouldn't think about the utility of consciousness for survival and so on.
Speaker 3: Or I think I'll get into you know.
Speaker 4: Hot waters if I If I try to get too far in that direction, because people immediately.
Speaker 3: Think of it from a functionalist view.
Speaker 2: That's tackles sort of another another interesting thing about it, and that to me is sort of it's sort of substraight. And one one is it's highly focused on the substrate. That was when I first encountered it. That was sort of what put me off. But that was I was new into consciousness and I said, ah, this is again a very brain based theory. No brain never mind, so and I was didn't, only to discover later that the theory is is actually quite substraight independent sort of. It says it needs this integration, but it could be you already said it could be neuromorphic chips for answers. So could you sort of talk a bit about that. So to what degree is it can of anything that is just integrated be conscious?
Speaker 4: Okay, So I think you know, our lead up until now, we've been touching on many different little bits here and there about the theory. But maybe it's useful to offer a kind of you know, I T in a nutshell, to formalize it a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think it would be useful at this.
Speaker 4: Point where you know, it takes a very different approach from yeah, standard approaches to the question of consciousness, And before we even get into the approach of I T it's worth it to even articulate what are the key questions that it's trying to ask, because I think when we have the questions clear, you also see these, let's say, differences of the theory.
Speaker 1: I'm going to jump ahead to the most replayed part of the video and then we'll wrap up.
Speaker 4: And that is different from the feeling of you know, of what it is like to smell lavender or whatever else, right, And there must be some systematic reason why this feels like that, and lavender, the smell of lavender feels the way it does, and you know, a countless number of other experiences feel the way they do. Right, So this second question is I mean, the first question is already tough enough, right, the second question is really tricky, right, And so you can think.
Speaker 3: Of this is what I would call a proper theory.
Speaker 4: Of consciousness has to actually answer both of these questions, or at least provide a plausible path to answering both of these questions in a fair way.
Speaker 2: Jeremiah, I know that this is a bit of a sort of I'm just saying. I'm just saying what a lot of people think, namely that under fMRI or EG scanners, we can already sort of see think about an apple, we can see something.
Speaker 1: Light app Oh oh boy, this sounds like me that's.
Speaker 2: The apple neuralin can read it. So aren't we there already?
Speaker 4: So you're you're you're sort of depends on what one means by answering a why question, right, So there are certainly some people if you say, okay, why does the apple feel the way it does, and then someone says, oh, it's because these neurons are firing in you know, visual cortex or something or whatever. Right, Okay, Well does that scratch your itch of explanation or not. For some people they might say it does. Other people might say, no, this feels there's some correlation between these things, but they're apples and oranges. When you try to, you know, draw some meaningful you know, relate these in some way, right, you're still.
Speaker 3: Left with either the hard problem.
Speaker 4: Or the explanatory gap, or whatever whatever framing you like.
Speaker 2: Right, it's not causation. So it's this correlation.
Speaker 3: By not causation, I mean it's even beyond that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I honestly think of it in very simple terms of it. It doesn't scratch your itch of explanation. Right, there's this gap between you know, why should it be that these neurons firing there in the brain somehow correlate with apple, and those neurons firing there correlate with banana or whatever else? Yeah, I mean that doesn't you know it? Okay, you can try to force it. It's been some you know, the old theorists that are that are called let's say, classical identity theorists, and they would would say, well, there simply is an identity between this mental state. They would refer to it like that, in this brain state or brain process, and they say that's that's it. There is this identity, and the other people came in and said, okay, that's just a brute identity. You're just sort of mashing these things together saying that they're the same thing from different views.
Speaker 3: But they're clearly not. I mean, they don't feel they don't somehow, you know.
Speaker 4: There's no explanatory power in that, right, And so to answer your question, some people will say that's the answer why red feels red or the apple feels like the apple, But many others would say, Okay, it's just not satisfactory as a proper explanation, right, It's simply a correlation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Well, I'm certainly in that camp. I just I don't I don't see why how I t is different. Maybe he'll say, right now, so let's listen to another minute.
Speaker 4: And it's not that the it's not that you have to figure out the causation of those neurons producing the red necessarily, right. Most people think that's the next step, but there are other ways of also approaching this to make it more explanatory.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that I believe in that, because what fascinates me already sort of the anomalies. If you say it's all just neuronal activity and it is explaining I'm not saying I believe, but if you say it does explain it. Because every time someone reports seeing an apple and it even smells like this, or that I can see exactly this light up. Okay, that explains it. Okay, even if you do believe that, you still have anomalies, right, But because there are cases where we see neural activity going down but repoorts of consciousness going up, right, that that at least in psychedelic research, and that's what fascinates me. And that's that's what I hope. But what can I dc there brain activity?
Speaker 1: Like? Okay, I think we'll wrap up because I know what he'll say. I mean, the the theory as we've just interpreted, doesn't have anything to do with activity. It has to do with integration, and so you could imagine a relatively inactive network that's highly integrated. Again, I just still don't know what integrated means. So this is a problem, you know. So I'm trying, buddy, I don't know the code on the on your iPad. Oh there we go. Okay, all right, So we'll wrap up. I hope you thought that was interesting. I'm fascinated by this, Like I like this guy. You know, I'm being critical and stuff, of course, which is my style, but I I think it's good, you know. He he's clearly motivated by that same thing that all of us truth seekers are motivated by, like just a dissatisfaction with just the field just stating that it's figured out all the answers, not actually doing it, not actually finding theories with explanatory powers, he says, but uh, but just saying it's been found, saying just and kind of like bashing you, the questioner, over the head, like, oh, you just don't get it. You know, there is this thing that happens when you get into really complex topics from professors and scientists where you know they don't know either, but they can't say that because it's their job to know, and so they have to just sort of somehow put it back on you. And I think this is really unfortunate, but it's effective. I mean, you know, the people who just speak with authority, they tend to get promoted, they tend to get the funding, you know, so there's something to it. I just think it's not intellectually honest, you know. So I like this guy. It's kind of been the theme of the show lately, is trying to acknowledge some of these slightly more rebellious folks. I mean, he's still very much in the mainstream framework. But that's probably the only way you can do it. I mean, you can't go in there and be like, I'm you know, this is my theological worldview, and I'm here to prove it correct. You know, you can't do that. That's not intellectually honest either. You know. That's the whole point, as everyone is bringing all this dogma to this idea. Now that's said, I can't help but see the overlap. I can't help but see the theological overlap with consciousness. I mean, if you were going to look at the two worldviews, I think you could argue that physics and some aspects of neuroscience are moving a lot more closely. They're moving in the direction of some theological explanations. Now, of course, different vocabulary, different you know, way of viewing things. But I think that's much, you know, I think that is more true than the reverse, although I don't know, because a lot of a lot of religious people have accepted a lot of scientific explanations for things like evolution. So I don't know, it's an interesting time, it's interesting, interesting world. I'm just so relieved to see, though, that this frustration that I've always had, or at least for the last you know, ten years, with the certainty that's portrayed by scientific communicators. You know, I didn't like that. I didn't trust it. I didn't believe in it. And it sounds like for good reason, you know, because we're constantly just even even, and I think, you know, if you're trying to be an advocate for science, you would say that that's supposed to be how science works. And that's the good thing about it. It's not supposed to be dogmatic, but alas it is anyway. So we have a couple of exciting episodes coming up. I think tomorrow maybe we'll talk about spud cells. It's a pretty cool idea we might also. I found this interesting. I was getting into some Carl Jung stuff. That's such a can of worm. So I don't know if I could really like it's there's just so much. There's so much on him and his weird you know, spiritual and religious entanglements and psychological perspectives, and I just don't know that much about the topic. So but I did. I did find an interesting article, so maybe we'll go through that. And then on Thursday we're talking to uh I don't know to look up his name, but he's he's very interest. He's got a big show, big podcast, so I'm really grateful he's coming on. Robert Frederick. I want to maybe to talk about Francis Bacon Shakespeare's If you're not into that whole conspiratorial rabbit hole, you should check it out. It's pretty cool. So anyway, stay tuned for that on Thursday. All right, everybody, I hope you're doing good. This was an intense episode, so you know, I do say in the show description that this is a sleepy time podcast, meant to listen to in bed because most likely it will cure your insomnia. You know, nothing like talking about neural correlates of consciousness to go. Eh. Maybe I'll turn this consciousness off for a little bit. Anyway, So it was heavy. It was heavy, but thanks for listening, and as always, please email me at God's I view Book at gmail dot com. I appreciate your feedback. Your requests. Just say hey, if you do, let me know what part of the world you're from. That's cool. Let me know what you do if you want or not. Also buy the book why not? It is twenty bucks. It's expensive. It's expensive for a paperback, but Amazon takes so much of the money, so that's a problem. There's also an audiobook, so check that out. God's IV. All right, everybody, stay safe out there and God bless