Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. We're here to unpack the most vital insights from a stack of sources. Just for you. Think about the digital world we live in every single day. It's huge, complex, It feels like a fortress sometimes right, but well, sometimes a door just swings open if you know where to look. That is, today we're stepping through one of those doors. We're exploring the art and maybe the science of ethical hacking, or the more formal term penetration testing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this deep dive it's really your shortcut to understanding this whole fascinating field. We're pulling our insights today from a really practical guide, Penetration Testing step by step Guide, the second edition by Roddy Chataub. And it's not just theory, you know, it's very hands on. It explores the actual techniques the tools that hackers use, but for good reasons for defense exactly.
Speaker 1: So our goal for you today it's pretty simple. We want you to walk away understanding not just what system vulnerabilities are or even how they get attacked, but crucially how to defend against them. So, whether you're maybe new to information security, or perhaps you're a manager who needs to get a handle on modern threats. This deep dive, it's really designed to give you those aha moments, yeah, you know, without just drowning you in information.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and before we jump right in, there's a really critical point we need to make everything we talk about today, it's all framed within the ethics of being a white hat hacker, an ethical hacker. All these techniques they're meant for authorized testing. You need explicit permission. The goal is always to find vulnerabilities and report them, not for anything malicious or illegal. It's really about building stronger defenses because you understand.
Speaker 1: The offense right makes sense. So, okay, we've had a little glimpse into this digital underworld. Let's get to the heart of it. How do the good guys actually fight back? What is penetration testing really and how does this proactive defense work for businesses?
Speaker 2: Well, think of it like this penetration testing. It's like hiring a professional burglar to test your home security system. Seriously, you give them permission right to try and break into your networks, your systems, your applications, specifically to find those weak spots, the vulnerabilities that a malicious hacker, a black hat might use to get in and cause real damage. It's proactive. You're trying to find those holes and patch them before the bad guys do beat them to the punch.
Speaker 1: Okay, and why is this so critical for businesses these days? Is it just, you know, a good practice or is there something more driving it?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's way beyond just a good idea. Often it's actually a necessity or requirement. Many businesses, especially if they handle payments, they're requiring to do regular pen tests to meet security standards like the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard PCIDSS that requires a yearly pen test for certification. And because of things like that, the demand for skilled pen testers is just huge, it's booming. So understanding this stuff is really valuable.
Speaker 1: Okay, So who's this deep dive really for them? Who benefits most from digging into this book's insights with us?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's perfect for anyone who wants to understand the mechanic of ethical hacking. Maybe you're just starting out in cybersecurity, or maybe you're an IT manager an INFOSEC manager, and you need practical insights. You want to understand the threats, the tools attackers use, and importantly, the protective measures you need. To put in place. Is designed to be really practical, you know, not get bogged down in just academic theory.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, and the book we're using. It breaks the whole process down into five core phases for a pen test. Can you give us a quick roadmap?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a pretty logical flow. Think of it like steps. First, there's reconnaissance that's just gathering info about your target, like detective work, finding out everything you can. Then comes scanning. That's when you actively probe the target looking for actual vulnerabilities. After that, the goal is gaining access, the actual exploitation part, getting in. Once you're in, it's about maintaining access, making sure you can stay in or get back in later, and finally covering tracks, hiding the evidence that you were ever there.
Speaker 1: Okay, reconnaissance, scanning, gaining access, maining covering tracks. Got it. Let's dive into the first big area then, Wi Fi vulnerabilities. Wireless is huge, right, It's often that first digital connection when you walk into a place.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely critical because a compromised Wi Fi network that isn't just a small problem. It puts your entire internal network at risk. For companies, insecure Wi Fi is often Honestly, the path of least resistance for an attacker makes it a prime target.
Speaker 1: And thinking about vulnerabilities, I remember WEP encryption from wayback. Is that still a thing we need to worry about? It seems ancient.
Speaker 2: We'd be surprised WEP is old. It is weak, but yeah, you still find it out there. Sometimes it uses this algorithm RC four. And here's the problem. Each packet is encrypted using a key stream generated partly by something called an initializing factor or five E. It's only twenty four bits long. And the real killer is this IV is sent in plain text right there in the packet, plaintext.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds like a huge red flag immediately, Yeah, the IV is just out there. How to attackers actual use that flaw? How do they crack the key?
Speaker 2: Right? That's the fundamental flaw Because that twenty four bit IV is so short, and it's sent unencrypted, it has to repeat eventually, especially on a busy network. So a tool like air cracking it doesn't even need the password itself. It just listens. It collects enough of these packets, enough of these repeating ivs, and by doing statistical analysis on how those ivs repeat, it can literally figure out the entire WEP key. It's not magic, just math exploiting that weakness. It can crack it surprisingly quickly, and attackers can even speed it up using things like a fake authentication procedure to inject packets.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes total sense. Why WEP is considered broken. Yeah, so then WPA and WPA two came along to fix all that. They sound much more secure, unique keys, this four way handshake. But you know in hacking there's always a butt, isn't There are there still ways attackers get around WPA two.
Speaker 2: You hit it right on the head. There's always a butt. WPA and WPA two definitely a massive improvement over WEP, fix that exposed IVP problem. They use unique temporary keys for every packet and this robust four way handshake. Think of the handshake like a secret conversation. Your device and the router securely agree on unique keys. There's the pairwise master key, the PMK, and the paralyzed transient KEYPTK. They're derived from your WiFi password, the pre shared key or PSK. It means the encryption is constantly changing.
Speaker 1: Much harder to crack, okay, much harder, but not impossible. So even with those upgrades, how do attackers actually bypass WPA two. What are the main approaches?
Speaker 2: Yeah, still not impossible. There are really two main ways attackers go after w POPA two. First, exploiting the WPS feature Wi Fi protected setup. Remember that button on routers or at the PN. It was meant for convenience, you know, easily connecting printers and stuff, but it turned into a huge security hole. That eight digit PN. A tool called Reaver can basically brute force it. It attacks it in two halves, the first four digits, then the next four. So even with a super complex WPA two password, Reaver can often crack that eight digit PN in maybe ten hours or so. Get your password?
Speaker 1: Wow? Okay, so a convenience feature became a major vulnerability. What's the second method?
Speaker 2: Then? The second way involves capturing that four way handshake directly. An attacker can actually force the connected device like your laptop, to disconnect from the Wi Fi. It's called a de authentication attack. Then, when your laptop automatically tries to reconnect, that four way handshake happens again. The attacker listens and captures it. Once they have that captured handshake, they use tools like air cracking again, but this time they need a huge list of possible passwords, a word list. They might generate one with a tool like crunch, or download massive lists from places like seek lists online. Then they just try every password in the list against the handshake. If your password is in that list, they've got it. If not, this method.
Speaker 1: Fails, right the dictionary attack. That makes sense. Okay, that brings us to another really sneaky tactic, one that plays on our desire for free stuff. Fake access points classic lure, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely classic and effective. Hackers set up fake Wi Fi hotspots often give them ten names like free coffee shop WiFi or airport guest, especially in public places. You connect thinking it's legitimate, but now all your unencrypted traffic it's flowing right through the attacker's computer. They can see websites you visit, maybe present fake logging pages to seal your passwords, re emails if they're not encrypted, and tools like WiFi Pumpkin three makes setting these up surprisingly easy for an attacker.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, hearing all this, what's the bottom line for securing our own wireless networks? What are the absolute must dos?
Speaker 2: The takeaways are pretty clear. Yeah. First, never ever use wp just don't. It's completely broken. Second, always use WPA two and use a really strong complex password, think long passphrase, mix of uppercase, lowercase symbols. Numbers don't make it easy to guess. For businesses, integrating Wi Fi access with something like active directory is great. Avoids shared passwords, and for everyone that WPS feature we talked about, if your router has it, disable it, turn it off. That convenience just isn't worth the security.
Speaker 1: Risk disabled WPS got it? Okay? So let's say a hacker has gotten onto the network, maybe through weak Wi Fi. What's next? Our next deep dive is into post connection attacks, particularly this man in the middle stuff. Once they have that foothold, what's the first move right?
Speaker 2: Once they're inside, The very next step is discovery, like mapping out the territory. You need to figure out what else is on this network, what other devices are connected, what are their IP addresses. Tools like net discover or ARP scan are good for quickly finding other machines. But then the real workhorse is en map or its graphical version, zen map. N map is incredibly powerful. It scans targets and gives you detailed info, open ports, operating systems, what services are running that detailed scan. That's really the starting point for finding specific exploitable vulnerabilities on those machines, and.
Speaker 1: That leads us right into a man in the middle attacks. Then TM sounds kind of spy like, how do you define that?
Speaker 2: It pretty much is like spy stuff. A man in the middle attack or NATM is when an attacker secretly positions themselves between two communicating parties. Imagine you're talking to your bank online. The attacker gets in the middle. They intercept your messages to the bank and the bank's messages back to you. Both sides think they're talking directly, but they're actually talking through the attacker. It's like sophisticated eavesdropping, but worse because the attacker can potentially change the messages. Not just listen, they control the conversation. They might capture logins, manipulate transactions. It's really dangerous. Modern encryption like TLS tries to stop this, but attackers find ways around it sometimes.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's pretty scary. What are some common types of these my TM attacks?
Speaker 2: Well, the book mentions several key ones, things like ARP spoofing, DNS poofing, STP mangling, DHGP, spuefing, ICMP redirection. They all work slightly differently to trick network devices.
Speaker 1: Let's dig into ARP spoofing. How does that one exploit trust on a network? Why is it so effective?
Speaker 2: Okay? ARP Address resolution protocol. It's fundamental for local networks. Basically how your computer finds the physical MC address of another when it only knows the IP address, like asking who has this IP? The massive problem ARP is built on trust. It's incredibly insecure by design. Any computer on the network can just accept an ARP reply, even if it's fake. So arpspoof exploits this perfectly. It sends out fake AIRP messages. It tells your computer, hey, I'm the router, and it tells the router, hey I'm your computer. Suddenly, all the traffic between you and the router flows through the attacker's machine. For this to work seamlessly, the attacker needs to enable IP four in on their machine, so the traffic just passes through. Once that's set up, tools like wireshark running on the attacker's machine can see everything, logins, browsing, you name it. If it's unencrypted. It's disturbingly simple. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, disturbingly simple, is right, just exploiting that basic trust. But what if the attacker wants to do more than just listen? What if they want to actively mess with the traffic. That's where tools like better cap come in. Right, What makes it such a powerful network tool?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Better Cap is like a Swiss army knife for network attacks, especially my TM. It's incredibly powerful and versatile. It lets an attacker manipulate HTTP, HTTPS, sometimes and TCP traffic in real time, sniff credentials, inject code, modify pages on the fly, for instance, using its arc dot spoof module to become the man in the middle and then dot sniff to capture data. It can easily grab unencrypted HTTP log in, say from a test website, and a really powerful feature caplets. These are like scripts for better Cap. Automating sequences of commands makes complex attacks much easier to execute.
Speaker 1: Okay, but what about ng GTPs. We always here look for the lock. HTTPS is secure? How does something like SSL stripping try to defeat that?
Speaker 2: Right? HTTPS is much more secure. SSL stripping is a technique attackers used to try and downgrade that security. The attacker acts as a proxy during the initial connection When your browser tries to connect via HTTPS, the attacker intercepts it talks HGTPS to the real server, but talks plane unencrypted HTTP back to your browser. So you think you might be secure, or maybe you don't notice THES is missing, but your connection is actually in the clear. But there's a crucial defense HSTS HTTP strict transport security. It's a header a website sends that tells your browser, Hey, for this site, only ever use HTTPS, no exceptions, so that parameters like maxage how long the browser should remember this rule include subdomains and preload.
Speaker 1: HSTS sounds like a solid defense, but you mentioned dynamic versus static HSTS. Does that distinction matter much?
Speaker 2: Oh? It matters hugely for security. Dynamic HSTS is where your browser learns about HSTS after the very first time it visits the site it gets the header. Then that leaves a tiny window on that very first connection where an SSL stripping attack could potentially work before the browser knows it must use HTPS. Static HSTS closes that gap. Websites can submit themselves to be included in a preload list that's built right into browsers like Chrome, Firefox, etc. So if a site is on that pre load list. Your browser already knows it must use HTTPS, even if you've never visited it before. That makes us a CEL stripping completely and effective. Against those sites the browser just won't connect insecurely.
Speaker 1: Got it. Preloading is key and DNS spoofing is another mitmtrick, basically lying about website.
Speaker 2: Addresses exactly your computer uses DNS, the domain name system to turn website names like www dot Google dot com into IP addresses. In DNS spoofing, the ITM attacker runs their own fake DNS server on the local network. When your computer asks what's the IP for www dot my bank dot com, The attacker's fakeserver answers with an IP address they control, maybe a phishing site that looks real, so you get redirected to the wrong place. But again, like s is all stripping, this generally doesn't work against sites using HTTPS. With HSTS enabled and preloaded, the browser will refuse to connect to a fake HTTP version. You can demo this with tools like an apatche webserver for the fake site and BETTERCAPS. DNS dot spoof module.
Speaker 1: And BETTERCAP can even inject code like JavaScript into the websites you're visiting.
Speaker 2: That's right. If the connection is HTTP or HTT without strong hsts, better cap can inject custom JavaScript into the pages as they pass through. This is incredibly dangerous. JavaScript running in your browser can do a lot of malicious things steal cookies, lug keystrokes, redirect you, pop up fake logins, all controlled by the attacker.
Speaker 1: Okay, so, after hearing about ARP spoofing, dnspoofing, SSL stripping, how do we actually detect and more importantly, prevent ARP poisoning which seems to underpin a lot of this.
Speaker 2: Detecting it tools like wireshark are invaluable. It can spot unusual network chatter like an ARP storm tons of AIRP requests which might indicate a scan or attack. Wireshot can even directly flag potential MITM attacks if it sees duplicate IP addresses claiming the same ASC or vice versa. For prevention, things like intrusion detection systems or intrusion prevention systems idscs are important. Also, modern layer two switches can be configured with features like dynamic AARP inspection or the AMSC address tracking to block spoofed packets. There are also client side tools like ZARP that monitor for suspicious ARP activity. Interestingly, while we focus on the bad stuff, airpeacepoofing can be used for legitimate reasons, like on public Wi Fi redirecting users who haven't logged in yet to a sign up page.
Speaker 1: Right, legitimate uses too, Okay, So moving on. After all that scanning and maybe MYTM setup, the real goal for an attacker is often gaining access, getting control of devices. Let's talk server side attacks first. These are direct assaults, right exactly.
Speaker 2: Server side attacks target vulnerabilities directly on the server itself. They don't need the user to click anything or run anything. You just need the server's ike address and an exploitable service running zenmap or nmap is key here for that initial info gathering, finding open ports identifying services like FTP, RSH remote shell or Samba Windows file sharing, so you're.
Speaker 1: Looking for known flaws in those.
Speaker 2: Specific services precisely. Sometimes it's about finding older, unpatched versions with well known vulnerabilities. For example, there's a specific version of VSFTPD and FTPC version two point three point four that famously had a back door baked into it. If you find that running boom root access. Another example is netkit RSH. If that remote shell service is enabled and misconfigured on a Linux box, you might be able to execute commands remotely.
Speaker 1: And beyond those simpler known flaws, there are more complex code execution vulnerabilities. Tell us about those and this concept of a reverse connection that sounds clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, code execution vulnerabilities exploit flaws maybe in web applications or services like Zomba that let an attacker run their own commands on the server. Now the reverse connection. This is a really smart way to bypass firewalls. See, most firewalls are configured to block incoming connections initiated from the outside like a castle wall. Or reverse connection flips that the attacker sets up a listener on their machine. Then the exploit makes the victim's server initiate an outgoing connection back to the attacker. Since the connection started from inside the network, the firewall often lets it pass right through. It's like the victim opens a secret door outwards. The metasplit framework is the go to tool for this. It has tons of exploits and payloads. A common payload is something like cmdo nix reverse netcat. You just tell it your attacker ipe LHST and the port you're listening on lpr ort, run the exploit and hope the victim connects back.
Speaker 1: That is clever. Okay. So besides trying these exploits manually, there's automated vulnerability scanning. What's the main goal.
Speaker 2: There, right? Automated scanning is about efficiency and coverage. Its purpose is to systematically check computers, servers, whole networks for known weaknesses. These scanners look for outdated software, misconfigurations, missing patches, things that match entries in huge vulnerability databases. Think of databases like OSVDB Open Source Vulnerability Database, the NIST, MVD National Vulnerability Database, or CVE Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures. The scanner basically compares what it finds on your systems against these lists of known problems. It's like an automated security audit.
Speaker 1: Some of the big names in scanning software, well.
Speaker 2: There are several well known ones. You've got nessis Qualities, open vas which is open source, but a really prominent commercial one, especially one that integrates well with exploitation tools, is rapid seven.
Speaker 1: Nextpos xsoz so it integrates with metasploit. You said, what's its role in the bigger picture? The whole vulnerability management process and any practical tips for using it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nexpos integrates tightly with metasploit. You can find a vulnerability in expos and often directly launch and exploit for it in metasploit. Its role covers the entire vulnerability management life cycle. Discovery, finding assets on your network, detection, finding the weaknesses, verification, checking if they're actually exploitable, risk classification, reporting, and even helping prioritize fixing things the mitigation part. Practically speaking, it's a powerful tool, very comprehensive, but be aware it can be a bit of a beast resource wise, needs decent RAM like eight GB good disk space, especially in a VM, and the first time you start it up it might take like thirty minutes to updates data bit. Once it's running, it's great. You create sites for your scan targets at IP addresses, run the scans, and then you get these really detailed reports, audit reports, executive summaries, even just the top ten worst vulnerabilities. Very useful.
Speaker 1: Okay, so those are server side attacks, that's direct, But client side attacks they feel different, more personal, maybe because they involve the human element.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Client side attacks nearly always need the user to do something click a link, open a file, install an app, and because of that, they rely heavily on social engineering tricking the user. Honestly, it's often much much easier to exploit human trust or curiosity than it is to find a purely technical flaw. In well maintained software, you can have the best firewall, the best anti virus, that if you trick someone into letting you in the door, none of that matters. The human is often the weakest link.
Speaker 1: It really is amazing how effective that can be. I remember getting a phishing email once. It looked so real SII. So there's a tool called the veiled Evasion framework that helps create malware that gets past security.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what veil evasion is designed for. It helps generate backdoors, malicious payloads that are specifically crafted to try and bypass common antivirus software. It often uses something called Interpreter payloads from Metasplay. Interpreter is really advanced. Instead of just dropping a simple executable file, it often works by injecting itself directly into the memory of another process using DLL injection. This makes it much harder to detect because there might not be a malicious file sitting on the hard drive. It runs in memory and gives the attacker incredible control keylogger, screen capture, filesystem access, pivoting, all without easily being traced on the disc at least until a reboot.
Speaker 1: Wow, running in memory. That's sneaky. So how does anti malware software even try to catch threads like that? What are the main methods?
Speaker 2: Anti malware uses a few main strategies. The classic one is signatures, basically a database of known malware fingerprints. If a file matches a known signature, it's flagged. Then there's heuristics. This is more behavior based. It looks for suspicious actions or characteristics even if the file doesn't match a known signature. This can catch new threats, but it can also sometimes lead to false positives, flagging legitimate software by mistake. Third, sandboxing running a suspicious program in a safe, isolated environment to see what it does without letting it harm the main system. An interesting detail here. Some sophisticated malware can actually detect when it's running in a sandbox, and if detects that, it might just sit there and do nothing, only activating its malicious code when it thinks it's on a real user's machine. And finally, if malware is detected, the usual action is removal, deleting it or quarantining it, moving it to a safe place where it can't run.
Speaker 1: Okay, so veil creates the evasive malware, then the attacker needs to set up a way to listen for that malware calling home right correct.
Speaker 2: That's where the metaspolate handler comes in. It's essentially the listener. You can figure it to expect a connection from the specific type of backdoor you created on a specific port. It just sits there waiting. The common headache when setting this up is the port might already be in use by another application on your attacker machine. You can use commands like netstat a or LSoft in Linux to check which process is using the port, and then you might need to kill that process. So the handley combined to the port.
Speaker 1: Right, gotta free up the port so the listener is ready. How does the malware actually get to the victim? What are the common delivery methods?
Speaker 2: Well, the simplest way is just putting the malicious file on a web server, maybe your Collie Linux machine running apatche too, and tricking the user into downloading and running it. Directly, but more common and often more effective are things like phishing emails, emails with malicious links or attachments. A really effective and quite devious method is embedding the malware inside a seemingly harmless file like a PDF or a JPG. You can use SFX archives, which are self extracting archives created with tools like wind raar. The victim thinks they're just opening a document or a picture, clicks it, the document opens, but silently in the background. The malware also extremes and executes very sneaky, and attackers often set at persistence too, configuring the malware so it automatically starts up again if the victim reboots their computer, maybe by inchecking it as a Windows service or adding a registry key to run a script on startup.
Speaker 1: And there's a tool called Cage to help manage all these compromised machines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cage is basically a graphical front end for managing metasplit sessions. If an attacker has multiple compromise machines connecting back via interpreter, Cage provides a guy to easily interact with them, run commands, take screenshots, organize the sessions. Makes managing multiple victims simpler.
Speaker 1: So with all these clever delivery methods, especially the ones embedding malware, what are the best ways to protect ourselves?
Speaker 2: Good question. There are a few key layers of defense. First, man in the middle prevention. Be careful about the networks you connect to. Use trusted networks, maybe a VPN on public Wi Fi. Tools like ZARP can also help detect AARP poisoning attempts on your local network. Second, always look for HTTPS connections. Encrypted traffic is much hard for an attacker to tamper with or inject things into. Use browser extensions like HTTPS everywhere. Third hashing. This is really important for downloads. If a software publisher provides a hash like MT five or SAHA two five six for their file, you can calculate the hash of the file you downloaded. If the hash is match, the file is almost certainly authentic and hasn't been tampered with. If they don't match, don't want it okay.
Speaker 1: Hashing is a good practical tip. So let's say the attacker is successful. They've gained access, the work isn't over. Our next deem dive is post exploitation and social engineering tactics. What exactly happens in post exploitation. What's the goal?
Speaker 2: Post exploitation is everything that happens after you've successfully compromised a system. Gaining that initial access is just the first step. The goal now is to maximize your control, gather valuable information, potentially move laterally to other systems on the network, and ensure you can maintain access persistently. The metasploit Interpreter shell is packed with post exploitation commands, shows you everything you can do. Background lets you hide the session but keep it active. Sessions list all your active connections. Since info gives you basic info about the victims OS.
Speaker 1: And the book mentions something intriguing. Process impersonation. How does that work? Why is it useful for an attacker?
Speaker 2: Ah? Yeah, process migration or impersonation. It's a stealth technique. Materpreter allows you to take your malicious process and migrate it so it runs inside a legitimate common Windows process like explore dot exx, or maybe a browser process like Microsoft Edge. Why because if someone opens task Manager and looks at the running processes, they're less likely to spot explore dot ex as being suspicious compared to some weirdly named malware dot ex It helps the back door blend in making it harder to detect and.
Speaker 1: Kill blend in dot clever. And once you have that materpreter session, you basically have full control over the victims files pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have full control over their filesystem. You can browse directories ALSPWDCD, download files from the victim machine, download upload file to upload, delete files, even modify them. You can also drop into a standard Windows command shell through the interpreter session for even more direct control. It's like sitting at their computer remotely.
Speaker 1: But that connection might die if they reboot. Right, how do attackers achieve persistence? Making sure they can get back in after a restart right?
Speaker 2: Persistence is key for long term access. A simple interpreter session in memory usually dies on reboot, so post exploitation often involves setting up persistence mechanisms. The book talks about methods like injecting the back door as a Windows service that starts automatically, or creating Windows Registry keys that tell the system to run a script, maybe a Visual Basic Script jvbscript as mentioned. When the user logs in or the system boots up, that script then connects back to the attackers listener re establishing the connection automatically, and.
Speaker 1: Maybe the most chilling part, keyloggers and screenshots. That's actual real time spying.
Speaker 2: It is Interpreter has modules for both. You can start a keylogger that captures every single keystroke the victim type, passwords, emails, chat messages, everything. You can also take screenshots at their desktop in real time, seeing exactly what they're doing. It gives the attacker complete invasive visibility into the victims' activities on the compromised machine.
Speaker 1: Okay, shifting from the purely technical, let's talk social engineering. The book says it's often easier to exploit human trust than hack software. Why is that still so true with all our tech?
Speaker 2: It boils down to psychology. Really, security fundamentally relies on knowing who and what to trust. Social engineers exploit our basic human nature, our desire to be helpful, our curiosity, our fear, sometimes just being busy or distracted. It's often far less work to craft a convincing email that tricks someone into clicking a link or giving up a password than it is to find and exploit a zero day vulnerability in software. Technology can build high walls, but social engineer and just walks up to the gate and asks to be let in, often successfully. The human is the variable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. It targets our instincts. So, like any attack, social engineering starts with information gathering. What tools help with that?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Good recon is crucial for effective social engineering. You need to know your target. Tools like Google dorcs are surprisingly powerful for finding publicly exposed information online. Recon is a great framework specifically for open source intelligence gathering. And while Tago is really interesting, it's a visual tool. It helps map out relationships between different pieces of information people, email addresses, companies, websites, network infrastructure. It pulls data from tons of public sources and creates these visual link analysis charts. Helps an attacker build a really detailed picture of their target and potential attacking.
Speaker 1: In the classic delivery email spoofing, how do attackers make fake emails look real enough to bypass spam filters.
Speaker 2: Email spoofing is definitely the most common way to deliver social engineering attacks like phishing links or malware attachments. The challenge for attackers is that modern spam blockers are pretty good at spotting emails sent from dodgy free spoofing services. They often end up in junk folds. So attackers get smarter, they might use reputable SMTP relay servers. These are legitimate email sending services like send and Blue is mentioned as an example. Using those can help bypass some filters. Or they might set up their own customer email servers, or compromise existing ones, or even just create very convincing fake accounts on real services. But even then you might see clues like the email landing in your promotions tab or seeing a via sendeblue dot com tag in the sender details. Those are potential red flags to watch for.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move into our fift deep dive web and mobile application penetration testing. Starting with web browsers, there's a tool called BEEF. What's special about it?
Speaker 2: Right? BEEF the Browser Exploitation framework. What makes it unique is it's laser focus on the web browser itself as the attack platform. Most tools target the network or the servers OS or the client OS. BEEF says, forget that for a minute. Let's attack the user directly through their browser.
Speaker 1: It hooks the browser, hooks the browser. How does that work? How does it actually gain control?
Speaker 2: It works by general creating a small piece of JavaScript code called the hook. The attacker needs to get this hook code to run in the victim's browser. This usually happens if the attacker can inject it into a website the victim visits, maybe a site the attacker controls or a legitimate site they've compromised with the vulnerability. When the victim's browser loads the page with the hook, that JavaScript runs and makes the browser secretly connect back to the attacker's beef server. Once that connection is made, the browser is hooked and the attacker can send commands to it through the beef interface.
Speaker 1: Okay, so getting that hook onto a website sounds like it involves cross site SCRIPTINGXSS. What exactly is XSS and how does it enable beef?
Speaker 2: Yeah, XSS is a very common way to deliver the beefook. Cross site scripting is a type of injection attack. Basically, the attacker manages to inject malicious JavaScript code into a website that other users trust. When another user visits that page, their browser executes the attacker's script because it thinks the script is part of the legitimate website, like a trojan horse delivered by the website itself. There are a few main types stored XSS or persistent, where the malicious script is saved permanently on the website, maybe in a comment field, and affects everyone who've used it. Reflected EXSS, where the script is part of a link the attacker tricks the victim into clicking it, reflects off the web server and runs in the victim's browser just that one time, and DOM based EXSS, which is a bit trickier exploiting how the browser itself processes data on the client side, sometimes without even talking to the server.
Speaker 1: How would a pen tester even find an EXSS vulnerability and then use it to inject that beef hook.
Speaker 2: Finding EXSS often starts by looking for places on a website where user input is displayed back on the page. Think search results, comment sections, user profiles. You try injecting simple test scripts like script alert excess script. If you see that alert box pop up when the page loads BINGO, you've likely found an EXSS flaw. Once you find one, especially a stored EXSS vulnerability, you can then inject the beef hook script instead of just the alert. Because it's stored, every user who visits that compromise page from then on will automatically get hooked by BEEF, connecting their browser back to the attacker.
Speaker 1: And once a browser is hooked with BEEF, you can actually use that to hack the underlying machine like Windows or even mobile phones.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's where BEEF gets really powerful. It's not just about controlling the browser. It's a launch pad. From the BEEF control panel, the attacker can send commands to the hooked browser. One common tactic is using social engineering modules, for example, sending a fake update notification that looks like it's from Firefox or Adobe Flash Player. If the victim clicks install update, what they actually download and run could be a metaspoint interpreter back door generated by the attacker. If they run it, boom, the attacker gets a full remote control session on their Windows machine and worryingly, yes, BEEF works just fine on mobile browsers too, Android iOS hooking the mobile browser can lead to similar kinds of attacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's concerning. So what are the best defenses against excess is? How do websites prevent this?
Speaker 2: Preventing XSS requires dillas from web developers. Key techniques include escaping user input. This means converting potentially harmful characters like anelo into safe entities like NELT and ENEGEL, so the browser treats them as text, not code, validating input being very strict about what kind of data is allowed in different fields. If a field should only contain numbers, don't allow letters or symbols. Using whitelists is better than blacklists, sanitizing user input, actively removing or cleaning up any potentially dangerous HTML or script tags from user submissions, and on top of that, using a Web application firewall. Wf ws sit in front of the web server and inspect incoming traffic, trying to detect and block EXSS attacks and other common web threats before they even reach the application code.
Speaker 1: Right defense and depth. Okay, Moving beyond browser exploits, let's talk general website penetration testing. What's the typical stack of components?
Speaker 2: A tester looks at sure, A typical web application has multiple layers. There's the server hardware itself or VM, the operating system running on it, the web server software like Apatchee or Microsoft ISA, the database backing the application, maybe Myschool, Postgress, wiel Segle server, and then the actual web application code written in languages like PHP, Python, Java, NOJS, etc. The first step in testing is always information gathering, figuring out as much as possible about each of these components.
Speaker 1: What are some good tools for that initial information gathering phase on websites to understand that stack?
Speaker 2: There are lots of great tools whose lookups give you domain registration details. Netcraft provides incredibly detailed reports on websites. The technologies they use, webserver os, frameworks, hosting provider known history, sometimes even vulnerabilities. It's amazing what you can find there. Robtext is good for DNS information finding related domains, seeing what other sites might be hosted on the same server. Knock Pi or similar tools helps discover hidden subdomains associated with a main domain which might host less secure applications, and DRB or tools like gobuster or a fun uf are essential. They brute force common directory and file names using word lists. You'd be surprised how often they uncover sensitive files left accessible, like configuration files, backup files, or even things like robots dot txt or maybe an accounts dot txt file that shouldn't be there.
Speaker 1: Finding lift or files, Yeah, it happens more than you'd think. What about file upload vulnerabilities? How are those exploited?
Speaker 2: File upload features are a common source of vulnerabilities. If a site lets you upload, say a profile picture, it needs to strictly check that the uploaded file actually is an image. If the checks are weak rejeff only looking at the filename extension, an attacker might try uploading something malicious instead. A common attack is uploading a PHP webshell. This is a small script, often created with a tool like Weaveley, that gives the attacker command execution on the server. If the server accepts the upload and the attacker can then access that uploaded file via their browser, the PHP code executes, and the attacker effectively gets a remote shell on the web server. Full control.
Speaker 1: Okay, webshells are bad. What about direct code execution vulnerabilities in the web app itself.
Speaker 2: These happen when the web application takes input from the user and improperly uses it as part of a command that gets executed on the server's operating system. A classic example is a website feature that lets you say ping and IP address to test connectivity. If the website just takes the IP address you provide and plugs it directly into a system ping command without cleaning it first sanitizing it, an attacker could inject extra commands instead of just an IP. They might enter something like eight eight point eight point eight and ce binge attacker IP attach report. The semicolon separates commands and Linux umix, so the server ping's eight point eight point eight point eight, and then it executes the netcat command, which launches a reverse shell connecting back to the attacker's machine.
Speaker 1: Game over combining comm the panston infony. Then there are file inclusion vulnerabilities LFI and RFI. What's the difference in How do they work?
Speaker 2: Right? LFI and RFI. Local file inclusion LiFi exploits flaws where a web application includes files based on user input but doesn't properly restrict which files can be included. An attacker might manipulate a URL parameter like dot page dot et setsia passwd the dot traverss directories upwards. If the app is vulnerable, it might actually include and display the contents of the stead of pass weed file, which contains user account info. On Linux, let's then read arbitrary files on the server. Remote file inclusion RFI is similar, but potentially even more dangerous. It occurs that the application can be tricked into including a file from a remote URL one controlled by the attacker. This usually requires a specific PHP configuration setting allow er and clude to be enabled. It's off by default now, thankfully. If RFI is possible, the attacker can host a malicious script like a webshell on their own server and trick the victim server into downloading and executing it instant backdoor.
Speaker 1: Okay, so LiFi reads local files, RFI executes for remote files. What are the key ways to prevent all these webvolms? Uploads? Code execution, file inclusion.
Speaker 2: Several key defenses for file uploads. Implement strict checks on file types, not just based on the filename extension, but by inspecting the file content mime type match bytes. Also store uploaded files outside the webroot if possible, or in a location where they cannot be executed for code execution. Rigorously sanitize all user input. Never ever trust user input. Use built in language functions designed for safe command execution if you absolutely must, but avoid it if possible. Whitelist allowed inputs for file inclusion. Disable dangerous PHP settings like allowal fopen and allower include in PHP dot e ne avoid including files based directly on user input. Use hard coded pads or map user input to safe allowed filepads and generally across the board. A well configured web application firewall WAF acts as an essential safety net catching many of these attack patterns.
Speaker 1: Yes, wfs are important, and let's tackle a huge one. SQL injection. This sounds incredibly powerful because it targets the database directly.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is powerful. SQL injection or SQL involves injecting malicious SEQL structured query language code into input fields on a web page like login forms, search boxes, even URL parameters. The goal is to manipulate the SQL queries that the web application sends to its back end database, essentially tricking the application into running the attacker's SQL code.
Speaker 1: And why is SQL considered so critical so powerful compared to some other web.
Speaker 2: Attacks because it gives the attacker a direct line to the database, and the database is usually where the crown jewels are kept user credentials, user names, hashed passwords, personal information, financial records, sensitive company data, everything. A successful sequel attack can allow an attacker to bypass authentication, entirely read sensitive data they shouldn't see, modify or delete data, and sometimes even execute operating system commands on the database server itself, leading to full server compromise. It cuts right to the core.
Speaker 1: How does a pintester even find out if a site is vulnerable? What's the first step?
Speaker 2: It often starts very simply, just trying to input special characters into web forms, especially the single quote, which is used to denote strings in SQL. If inputting a single quote causes the website to throw a weird error message, maybe revealing parts of in SQL query or database information, that's a huge red flag. It suggests the application isn't handling the input properly and is vulnerable. Once a potential vulnerability is found, attackers try injecting actual SQL code. Common payloads like or are one year one or or one one can sometimes bypass log informs entirely because one a U one is always true. If the input is in the URL HGPGT request. They need to remember to URL and code special characters like space becomes per twenty, single quote becomes per twenty seven, And they.
Speaker 1: Can actually pull data out of the database using these injections. How does that work?
Speaker 2: Yes, extracting data is a primary goal. Once they confirm a vulnerability, they use various techniques. They might use order by clauses, injecting order by one, order by two, et cetera, and watching when the page breaks to figure out how many columns the original query returns. Then they use union select. This lets them combine the results of the original query with the results of a new query they inject. Using union select, they can start a extracting information the database version, the current database, user names of other databases. Information schema is key here. It's a database about databases, table names, column names, and eventually dump the contents of sensitive tables like the users or accounts table containing usernames and passwords. In some database configurations, they might even be able to read files from the server using functions like load file it sets the road, or write files to the server using into out file if the database process has sufficient permissions.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly complex and manual. Is there an automated way to perform SQL injection attacks?
Speaker 2: Oh? Definitely, Manually exploiting SQL it can be tedious and complex. That's where school map comes in. Stormap is a fantastic open source penetration testing tool that completely automates the process of detecting and exploiting SQL injection vulnerabilities. You just pointed at a potentially vulnerable URL, and it does the rest. It can identify the database type myceql, Oracle, etc. Figure out the injection techniques, fetch data, dump entire databases or specific tables, access the underlying files, stem, and even try to execute operating system commands through the database connection. Practical commands are simple like sqollmap atch uhtpt dot test, dot com, school end, dot, php, dot id one, DBS to list databases, or dump dash you user's dashd web acdb to dump the user's table from the web ATPDB database. It makes complex attacks much easier.
Speaker 1: Okay, school map sounds powerful. So what is the best defense against SQL injection? What's the most crucial thing developers need to do.
Speaker 2: The single most important defense, hands down is using prepared statements, also often called parameterized queries. Think of it this way. Instead of building a SQL query by just sticking user input directly into the SQL string, you create the SQL query with placeholders like dot or dot user name. Then you separately provide the user's input values, and the database driver handles safely inserting those values into the placeholders. This fundamentally separates the SQL code logic from the data. The user's input is always treated as data, never is executable code, making injection possible for that query. It's the gold standard. Other important layers include using least privileged database accounts the Web Applications database users should only have the absolute minimum permissions needed to function, definitely not admin rights, using multiple dB users if you have multiple applications, using the same database server to keep them isolated, and again, deploying a Web application firewall WAF can catch many common SQL.
Speaker 1: Patterns prepared statements, got it And speaking of automated tools, OASPZ is another big one for web testing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely ZACE the z attack proxy is extremely popular. It's free, open source and maintained by OAS Open Web Application Security Project. It acts as a proxy between your browser and the website, and it can automatically scan the website for a wide range of vulnerabilities as you browse, or you can launch active scans. It finds things like exss skewqlay insecure configurations, information leaks, and it categorizes the findings by severity high, medium, low, often shown with red orange yellow flags. It gives detailed alerts and suggests remediation steps. Great tool for both beginners and experts.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's shift gears for our final deep dives mobile phone penetration testing.
Speaker 2: The number of mobile devices out there is just mind boggling.
Speaker 1: It really is staggering. They're talking billions and billions globally, something like fourteen billion now, heading towards maybe seventeen billion soon. And because we do so much on our phones, banking, communications, storing photos, accessing work data, mobile security has become this massive new frontline for cyber attacks. These devices are treasure troves of data.
Speaker 2: So what are the main ways attackers try to get into phones? The main attack factors? Well, there are several common vectors for mobile Physical access is one, if someone gets hold of your unlocked phone. Malware is huge. Malicious apps often disguised as games or utilities, downloaded from unofficial stores, or even sometimes sneaking into official ones. Network attacks exploiting insecure Wi Fi is just as relevant for phones as for laptops. Social engineering is very effective on mobile phishing, tearmishing, fake log imprompts, insecure applications themselves, apps that handle data poorly, don't encrypt traffic, store passwords insecurely, and of course vulnerabilities in the mobiles itself, though those are rarer for attackers to exploit widely without zero days. Often it still comes down to tricking the user, and if.
Speaker 1: An attacker does get in, what can they actually do? What are the outcomes?
Speaker 2: The consequences can be really severe. Data loss is a big one. Contact stolen private messages, read sensitive photos or documents exfiltrated. Attackers might use your phone's resources silently, using its processing power for crypto mining, or making it part of a botnet for dedas attacks. There's reputation loss if they hijack your social media or email accounts, and the worst case is often identity theft, grabbing enough personal information and credentials to impersonate you, open fraudulent accounts, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So is there a typical life cycle for a mobile attack?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it usually fallows a pattern. First, the vice infection. This often involves tricking the victim. For Android, that might mean downloading a malicious apka file from a third party source. For iOS, it's harder, often requiring physical access, exploiting a rare zero day, or maybe targeting jail broken devices. Second, backdoor installation. Once the malware is on the device, it often needs higher privileges. For Android, this might involve trying to gain root access. For iOS, the device is jailbroken, the malware has more freedom. Third data exultration. The malware or backdoor then communicates back to the attacker server, sending collected data, contacts, SMS messages, location data, photos, banking logins, whatever it was designed to steal.
Speaker 1: What about the official app stores Google Play, Apple App Store? Are they generally safe or do malicious apps slip through?
Speaker 2: Generally? Yes, the official stores Google Play Store, Apple App Store are much safer than the alternatives. They have vetting processes, automated scanning, and manual reviews designed to catch malware. However, they're not perfect. Cleverly disguised malware does occasionally slip through the cracks. The real danger often comes from third party app stores or just downloading APK files directly from websites. Attackers love to take legitimate apps, inject malware into them, repackaging, and then offer them for free. On these alternative stores, users download the trojanized version thinking they're getting a deal, but they're actually installing spyware.
Speaker 1: Right stick to official stores where possible. Okay, let's look at androids specifically. What are the security basics of the Android OS.
Speaker 2: Androids built on Linux, and a key security concept is the sandbox. Every app runs in its own isolated environment, its own sandbox. Each app gets a unique user id ued and the Linux kernel enforces separation. An app basically can't directly access another app's private data or interfere with the core system unless specific permissions are granted. Those permissions are crucial things like accessing contacts, location, camera, Internet. They're defined in the app's Android manifest dotxml file and the user typically has to approve them. Android also has built in features like Google play Protect, which scans apps for malware and by default it blocked installation from unknown sources outside the Play Store, though users can disable that protection. For authentication, you have screen locks, pattern pian password biometrics, and importantly, offline brute force attacks against the lock screen are generally infeasible too many failed attempts conrigger a data way. Plus there's the fine my device feature for remote location and wiping.
Speaker 1: And how does Apple's iOS compare the walled garden approach?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What are its security fundamentals?
Speaker 2: iOS is known for its tight control. It's a proprietary OS and apps primarily come from the heavily vetted app store. Installing unofficial apps via IPA files is possible, but more restricted, often requiring developer accounts or enterprise certificates. The iOS sandbox is generally considered even stricter than androids by default. Jail braking is the process of removing these restrictions on iOS, similar to rooting on Android. It allows installing third party apps and gives root access, but it also significantly weakened security, voids the warranty and makes the device much more vulnerable to malware. For authentication, iosu us as passcodes for six digits face ID or touch ID. The passcode is cryptographically tied to the device's unique device id UID to protect data encryption keys like Android ten, failed passcode attempts usually trigger a data wipe, and in corporate environments, mobile device management MDM software is widely used to enforce security policies, distribute apps, and remotely manage iPhones and iPads.
Speaker 1: Okay, so both have sandboxes and protections. When pen testing mobile apps? What are the key risks testers look for? You mentioned in O Waspy Mobile top ten. Yes.
Speaker 2: Similar to the web version, the O was bobol Top ten lists the most critical security risks specifically for mobile applications. Instead of just listening them all, let's highlight one that's really common and dangerous. Insecure data storage. This happens when an app stores sensitive information, maybe your logging credentials, session tokens, personal details, even credit card numbers, directly on the phone's storage without proper encryption or protection. It might store it in plain text files, easily accessible databases, or preference file. If an attacker gains even limited access to the device's file system, maybe via malware or physical access, or even just another robe app, if permissions are weak, they can often just read this stored data directly, huge risk. Other major risks include things like improper platform usage, misusing OS features, insecure communication, not using HGTPS properly, code tampering, and reverse engineering.
Speaker 1: The app into your data storage. Sounds bad, Let's look at some practical Android hacking examples from the book.
Speaker 2: How do you set up a test environment for testing Android apps? You typically use Android's studio, which includes emulators virtual Android devices. You also need the Android SDK Software Development Kit, which contains essential tools like the Android debug Bridge ADB, ADB is the crucial command line tool for communicating with both emulators and physical Android devices connected via USB with debugging enabled. Common ADB commands include ad devices to see connected device emulators, ad shell to get a command line shell directly on the device, adbed pull to download files from the phone to your computer, and add push to upload files to the phone. Pen Testers often install deliberately vulnerable apps like Diva, Damn insecure vulnerable application onto an emulator or test device to practice finding and exploiting common flaws in a safe environment, and how might.
Speaker 1: An attacker actually grab credentials using ADB leveraging that insecure storage issue right.
Speaker 2: This is where insecure storage becomes a real problem. If an app foolishly stores, say, the user's log in details in its shared preferences file, a common way Android apps store simple settings in plain text. An attacker with ADB access ABS shell can often navigate to the app's data directory data Data app package, NAM shared prefs and just use cat to print the contents of the XML preferences file. If the username and password are in there unencrypted, they're immediately exposed like catjackcar dot sem dot, Diva preferences dot XML might just split up a log in details super simple, super bad. And mobile apps can have SQL injection flaws too. How does that work on a phone?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely. Many Android apps use local Squad databases to store data. The app takes user input, like from a search bar, and puts it dirictly into a SQL query for that local database without proper sanitization SQL as possible.
Speaker 2: An attacker might use ad blogcat to watch the apps logs and see the SQL queries being made in real time. Then they could try injecting classic sequel payloads like R one one into an input field within the app. If the app is vulnerable, this might trick the query into returning all records from a table, potentially revealing all stored user names, passwords, credit card details, et cetera, right within the app's interface. Alternatively, with ADB access, you can often just add pull the entire squide database file eg. Squad dot dB from the app's data directory onto your computer. Then you can open it with a standard squite three tool and browse all the tables and data offline at your leisure.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so pulling the whole database and what about hacking a real Android phone not just an emulator getting that remote control.
Speaker 2: That's the more realistic attack scenario. It usually involves creating a malicious APK file. First, you'd use a tool like msfinom part of metasploit, to generate an APK payload, often a reverse blate payload, which will connect back to the t attacker. You might even try to bin in this payload to a legitimate looking app to disguise it. Then you need a way for the victim's phone to connect back to you, since you're likely behind routers and firewalls. You typically set up a cloud server like a cheap Google Cloud or AWS instance running a Buntu. You'd host the malicious ABK on a web server on that cloud instance for the victim to download, and you'd run your metasplit listener on that same cloud server, waiting for the connection on its public IP address. The hardest part is social engineering convincing the victim to download and install that APK. They'd likely have to disable the install Unknown Apps security setting on their phone first, which is a hurdle, but if they do install it and run it, the payload connects back to your listener, giving you a interpreter session. From there, you have significant control SEMPS info check root, see if the phone is rooted, geolocate, get GPS coordinated it's dump contacts, dump SEMs, take pictures with the camera, record audio, lots of possibilities. Tools like evil droid are also popular for generating these malicious APKs, sometimes offering more evasion features or easier ways to inject backdoors into existing legitimate APKs.
Speaker 1: Okay, so connecting all this back, We've talked a lot about labs and testing. What's the main practical difference when trying to gain access in a real network like out in the wild compared to a controlled lab environment.
Speaker 2: The biggest practical difference, especially when you need the victim machine to connect back to you, like with reverse shells, interpreter listeners b fooks, is dealing with network address translation, net and firewalls. In a lab, your attacker machine and victim machine might be on the same simple network easy In the real world, your attacker machine, say your Collie box at home or on that cloud server, is behind a router. The victim is somewhere else, also behind a router. For that victim machine to connect back to your listener, you need to configure port forwarding on your router or the cloud server's firewall. I need to tell your router, hey, any incoming connection attempt on port, say forty four four to four should be forwarded to the internal IP address of my Collie machine. Without port forwarding, your router would just block those incoming connection attempts and your listener would never receive the connection from the victim. It's a crucial step for making reverse connections work across the Internet.
Speaker 1: Port forwarding right, That makes sense. What we have certainly covered a lot of ground today, an incredible journey through the intricate world of penetration testing. We went from cracking Wi Fi doing those sneaky man in the middle attacks all the way to exploiting servers clients using social engineering and digging into web and mobile security.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a broad field, but hopefully by understanding these techniques, you're not just learning how the bad guys operate. You're really gaining that critical insight you need to build better defenses to spot weaknesses and the systems you use or manage. It's about turning that curiosity about how things break into a real capability to make things strong. That's the power here.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So the final question for you listening in this world is just increasingly connected, relying on all these systems, What hidden vulnerabilities might be lurking in the digital services use every single day, and maybe, just maybe, how could you potentially contribute ethically, of course, to finding them and making our shared digital world just a little bit safer.
Speaker 2: Keep asking questions, keep learning, keep exploring, and just remember that real, true security, it starts with really understanding how things work and how they can be broken