Speaker 1: Step into the world of power, loyalty, and luck.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make him an offer you can't refuse.
Speaker 1: With family, canolis and spins mean everything. Now you want to get mixed up in the family business. Introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slot.
Speaker 2: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 1: Play the Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Family vdW group. No purchase necessary, I belie we're primited by loss he Terms and Conditions eighteen plus. With the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 3: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void, We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus terms and conditions applying. See website for detail.
Speaker 4: Host Radian, you are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that have written about them Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 5: Good Evening. This is your host Dan Zupanski for the program True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime History and the authors that have written about them. Susan Berman was reared in the lap of locke Las Vegas luxury as the daughter of Davy Berman, a notorious casino mogul and mafia leader. It wasn't until college, well after her father's death, that she learned what he really was and really did. She ultimately dedicated her life to learning about Vegas and its underworld bosses, publishing two books on the subject, Easy Street and Lady Las Vegas. Her story takes a turn for the bazaar in nineteen eighty two when Kathy Durst, the wife of college friend and heir to a New York real estate fortune Robert Durst, mysteriously disappeared. Robert Durst was the prime sussect primary suspect, but no charges were laid. Shortly after the Kathy Durst case was reopened, Susie Berman, Susan Berman was found shot in the back of the head, mob execution style, no forced entry, no robbery, nothing missing. Again, Robert is a suspect. Did Susan know her killer? Did she have knowledge about Kathy Durst's death? Murder of a Mafia Daughter The Life and Tragic Death of Susan Berman by my special guest Kathy Scott. I do not have Kathy Scott on the air. Maybe she's just late getting to the phone to be able to call in for the program. I do have, I guess, I guess a couple announcements to make as well while we wait for her to contact the program. The book we're discussing tonight is Murder of a Mafia Daughter, The Life and Tragic Death of Susan Berman by Kathy Scott. It is really the story that you have seen in Casino and more so in the movie Bugsy starring Warren Beatty, where there is a primarily involves the arrangement between Meyer, Lansky, Davey Berman and Bugsy Siegel and basically the founders of Las Vegas as the story goes, members of the Jewish mafia, Meyer Lansky being the moneyman, and Bugsy Siegell as you see in the movie, very flamboyant and outgoing person that wanted to believed in the Las Vegas idea that the mob could go and sort of clean up their act in Las Vegas, make it for everyone to make a ton of cash. And so a lot of people are fairly familiar with the story from the Bugsy Seagull movie starring Warren Beatty and from Casino starring Robert de Niro and a cast of many many reputable mob type actors or actors playing mob members. While we wait to get Kathy Scott on the line. And this is the second time she has been on the program. The first time was very early on in near the inception of the program, and her book was The Rough Guy to True Crime, a compilation of basically the most interesting notorious infamous criminals involved in true crime, primarily killers, but also she featured some infamous robbery and thieves in her book and mafia members. Anyway, what I'm going to tell you about next week is that hold onto your seats because especially for our American audience that's not as familiar with this story, and in fact, I shouldn't even say that no one is familiar with this story. Basically people have just gotten snippets from the Canadian press. This is another really, really high profile case. Robert Willie Picton accused of forty nine murders, actually charged with twenty six. Particularly grizzly and bizarre and gruesome tale of a serial killer who fed the remains of his victims to the pigs that were on his farm. There has been a publication ban for a few years till the appeal was finally concluded. Earlier this year. A very reputable journalist and author has decided to do books. Do two books about the pict In case. The first one was called The Picton Files and this one is called On the Farm Robert William Pickton and the Tragic Story of Vancouver's Missing Women. This is Stevie Cameron. She's known for writing a book about Canada's Prime minister called On the Take, exposing the German I guess arms dealer salesman his name is Schreiber, and the relationship between Canada's Prime Minister Brian mulroney and her book was called on the take, so an investigative journalists not afraid to get her get her fingers dirty. I guess looking into into stories, I'm not worried about ruffling any feathers. And she has decided to write this book on the Farm in seven hundred and fifty pages, comes out in hardcover by NONF. Kopff and incredible book.
Speaker 6: I've just started this book because I've been very busy, but it's just an amazing book. It's one of the most spectacular trials and cases in true crime history, absolutely without any exaggeration whatsoever, the details of what the police found. There are some victims that narrowly escaped death at the hands of Robert Picton. It is again, or at least another story of police ineptitude at a very very high level, ignoring one of their own and chastising them and actually demoting them because one of their own had suggested that it was a serial killer at work in the Vancouver area in British Columbia, Canada, and no.
Speaker 5: One listened to this gentleman. And sure enough, that's what they had operating in the Vancouver just outside the Vancouver area for many years. There is part of the book, and she'll talk about it on the program. I'm sure because I'll be asking you this question. There is now talk that has leaked out from various stories, and again the press has been very hesitant to report very much. There's a publication ban, but also there's great outcry in Canada over graphic detail the Bernardo Homalka case or any type of case where there's graphic testimony, evidence, ruesome details. Canadians, unlike Americans, don't want to know. We live somewhat sheltered life. And I think I've said it before, Canadians, as Canadians, we believe that we're very much different than Americans. We believe honestly that Americans much more violent than we are as Canadians from what we see, and your higher murder rates are just I guess part of that evidence for them. However, when we do see the kind of shock and shocking and gruesome and bizarre and horrific crimes like we're used to hearing somewhat routinely in America, in the bigger cities and sometimes not in bigger cities, that Canadians, I then believe, are in denial that we are very very similar to Americans. And if we were to have the kind of social situations or social problems that America has and combined with access to handguns and at Canada, very much like the United States has, experiences a lot of murder and violence as a result of current drug laws. You call it pro yes, but the current drug laws. And I won't get into any kind of debate regarding that, but the fact of the matter is there's a lot of gang related and organized crime related murders, not constantly, but certain to a certain degree. Anyway, Thank god, we've got Kathy Scott on the line, so I'm going to put it right on and we'll get going with this program. Thanks very much for being comfortable with this and Kathy, are you on the line.
Speaker 7: I just got back from San Diego. Thank you for your patience.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much, Kathy, Thank you for joining the program. I was boring the audience there. Well, we waited for you, so I'm sorry. I apologize, no problem. Thank you very much for agreeing to this program. So let me start off with I guess one of my stock questions that I normally ask of the guests, because I'm very curious, what made you come to the decision to write a book about Susan Berman, the daughter of infamous Vegas mobster Davey Berman.
Speaker 7: Well, what what struck me? I mean, I remember exactly where I was when I when I heard the news. I was out on a multi day bicycle ride, actually, and we had a we had written all day, and we had a TV on in the room, everybody just kind of preparing for the next day, and the news came on. And you know, always Vegas, you know, because I live in Vegas, and there's always a Vegas related story that's interesting to me. I like to write about underdogs, and and they just couldn't seem you know. I followed the case, and they couldn't seem to find the killer, and so I gravitate towards that sort of thing to try to you know. I don't know if I can say try to help, but you know, try to get to the bottom of it and kind of investigate up myself. And I just think it's a sad case. I think it's sad that that whoever killed her has not been brought to justice. You know. It's I feel like I know Susan. I came close to meeting her, but I never did, and I think whose story needed to be told.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's go back now a little bit to give people a background Davy Berman. We need to know a little bit about him. What I thought was interesting living in Winnipeg here for the past sixteen years is that Davy Berman volunteered for the army up in Canada to fight in the Second World War. Tell us something about why he joined the Canadian Army and how did he fare in the military. Tell us a little bit about that stories. I think it's very interesting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, America wanted to take him. You know, he had a bit of a record and they wanted you know, it was obvious. I mean he was you know, he was in the gambling and you know in Minnesota and Stephani and everybody knew he hung out with not hung out, but he was one of the monsters. He was coming up in the ranks and in the and really the Jewish mafia back then. And what was that nineteen. I think they moved to Vegas around forty five, didn't they, right forty I think the same. I think Susan was six months old when she moved here, so it was long before he'd met her mother and his brother chickie, you know, who stayed by his side, you know, his whole life. He joined up too, and he he ended up being I don't have the book in front of me, but he ended up being decorated, you know with what he did and did actually actually an exemplary job, and he wanted to fight and be part of them, you know, help and he and so the Canadians welcomed him with open armed right.
Speaker 5: It's just that, Yeah, it's an interesting.
Speaker 7: People wanted to join up in the military back then. The guys were dying to get in, sure, you know.
Speaker 5: But now so he he was the honorable discharged from the military, and then you had alluded to it a little bit. He does have a criminal background for robbery and did some time about seven years before any of this Las Vegas situation happened. But tell us a little bit more about Davy Berman, the character. I found it very interesting to say he wanted to volunteer for the military, He did an exemplary job. He was decorated. The thing is, was they tell us a little bit about his character. Was he a hard drinking, womanizing guy? Gambler tell us about who Davy Berman was. It's because it seems to be very interesting aspect of the contrast Davey Berman the gangster and.
Speaker 7: Well he actually his demeanor and whatnot. He was rather quiet, charming, but quiet, and he certainly wasn't a Tony Spilatra or anything like that. I mean, it's your gentleman, if you can call them that, gentleman mafia, you know, and it was it was the Jewish mob. And you know, Maya Lance, Mayor Lansky came here and you know, Bugsy Siegel of course took over the Flamingo and you know, hooked up with they all were hooked up together, and they brought in in people to help run it. And Davy was brought in from was he in Minnesota at that time? I think he was brought in to run the Flamingo hotel and here they I mean, he went to synagogue every Saturday. Like he told Susan, you know, you go buy the synagogue and tell her, you know, I built that for you. He did it, of course, because I verify that people in their eighties who said nope, the boys down the street may have donated some money and he may have done one of them, but he didn't build it. But he was just here in Las Vegas. They'd almost come here to legitimize himself because they'd become philanthropists, and you know, I mean they named them pillars of the community. And there was an understanding that they could come here and do business, but they couldn't kill within the borders. You want to do anything like that, you go outside the border of Nevada and across the state line and it's fine. So they they actually legitimized themselves here and they were allowed to do the rackets, and everybody knew they were skimming, you know, for the mob, and that's what he did. But he was a nice man. He was you know, Susan was in love with her father. You know, she was a daddy's girl, and he was a nice man. His father, Shaky, was a little loud of hand and not a leader. But Davy was a leader, but very quiet and kept he kept at low profile.
Speaker 5: Now let's go back a little bit too.
Speaker 3: Told us we the lucky land slops. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: This is your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes ad up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 3: Play for free at lucky landslips dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply any website for detail.
Speaker 5: So a little bit about Susan's mother, Gladys. What was she really like and what was her life as a wife of a mobster? How do things work with Gladys?
Speaker 7: Well, it actually scared her to death and she you know, she didn't know, of course that he was in the mafia when she married him, and and he brought her in Susie, to Las Vegas to run you know, he was going to have a high position in the Flamenia Hotel, and of course, you know, jumped forward a little bit. Susan of course learned she hadn't learned until she was in college what he did. At least that's what she said. But there was a you know, one of her I know that. You know, her mother had a couple of nervorous breakdowns because of the pressure. And you know, they when they built their house, they had a cute little English tutor on downtown on Seventh Avenue. I believe it was six or seventh and Q and now it's a little teeny tiny law office. But the back window and you can go by it and see it on the alley. The back window was really really high in her bedroom and they raised it so they're couldn't be a drive by shooting. And so Gladys knew what he did. And when there'd be mob uprising, he would send them to La or he'd go with them and they'd go hang out and see at the bel Air or the Beverly Hills Hotel and shop and that sort of thing, and take her to Sometimes they go to New York, but most part they just go to Los Angeles to get away, and then when things would settle down, they'd come back into town. So Gladys didn't take it well and she went away when she left when Susan was still in grade school. Soon they put her in what they i know, assisted living whatever it was back then, you know, arrest home too, and she had shock treatments and all of that. So her mother it was it was a sad existence for a mother. So she wasn't the typical you know, mob wise who enjoyed going to parties and stuff like that. It wasn't like that, right, and they kept a low profile. I had meetings at the house, you know, all the big guys, and there was a bodyguard who basically lived with them and took Susan everywhere. I would go to La with them.
Speaker 5: So it was it was a pretty uh protected existence for Susan and was very separate from what we might think is a mob existence or a mob lifestyle. She was very isolated like that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she was. I mean the interesting thing is you can go to the library, and I did. I went to one of the main main libraries and you can pick up the old you can go look at the old telephone Book's going to have it in the in the book. But you go to and you sum through the telephone books and you can look up up there on seventh Avenue, sixth Avenue, fourth Avenue. All the mob guys went there, just look come up. The names are all on the phone book. And that was part of it. It was almost like a guy's you know it's it was. They were just regular Joe and they were accepted and never questioned, and you ask anybody. I did a story a while back for I think it was Israeli Light or something. It was a few years ago, and interviewed a lot of children who went to school during that time and they felt safe, and a couple of them said, you know, nothing ever happened when we had the mob run in the town. It was a safer place and people didn't lock their doors and they you know, they didn't give anybody in town any trouble. You know, they did whatever they did, but you know, nobody talked about it. Didn't make the papers much.
Speaker 5: Sure now a name everyone will recognize as that of Bugsy Siegel. I'm played by Warren Beatty in Bugsy, and please explain it to it, but please explain the actual arrangement that existed involving Seagull, davey Berman and Meyer Lansky in regards to the Flamingo. And then, as sort of an an additional question, what happened after Bugsy was killed? So maybe you can tell us about it's it's talked about in the movie. I don't you know, you did the research, so I don't know how accurate it every every aspect of it is, but talk to us.
Speaker 7: I mean I've got yeah, I've got the most most of it down. But uh, Davy wasn't the person who ran, you know, I mean he helped run the casino when he came in. And you know, Buggy Seagull was you know, he practically begged to come into into Vegas and said he could do it. And you know, they didn't really have a high end casino at that time, and it was considered the fling. Flamingo was considered way south on this strip, you know, as far as south as you go, and it was just nothing but desert all around them, and he had all these lofty ideas and it he bought it from a guy named Is Wilkins. He bought the Flamingo from a guy who went belly up. He tried to tried to build a hotel and couldn't couldn't finish building it, couldn't get it off the ground, couldn't get enough backers, and so Busy talked the mob into buying it, and you know they bankrolled and then he would run it. And you know Bugsy was, you know, kicking off a few people on the mob and you know whatever, for whatever reason, you know, they they offed him and waiting in the casino at that moment, and they got a phone call it's done or it's over or whatever, and that from the moment he was shot and they got worried. They instantly hadn't even made the news yet, of course back then wasn't in the papers for another day. And they they the moment he was dead, they took over the Flamingo and that's why and Davy started. He was the head, He was the head guy, and it was all the skim and then you know, it was the you know, the Jewish model out the Italians in, you know, so it's uh and it all sort of you know, intertwined itself. But you know, whether that was by design or not, you know, to bring him in for better appearances and not being Italian or something, I don't know, but it seemed to work very well back then. That's that's how he took over. And he was the anointed one when dougsy died, to be the one who ran the place right now.
Speaker 5: Susan's father, Davey Berman died in nineteen fifty seven. How did he die and was there any question as how as to how he had died and why?
Speaker 7: Well, he had he actually had surgery and Henderson, you know, nearby Henderson at a hospital, but he I believe it was Gobladder surgery or one of those types of surgeries. And Susie was twelve years old and it was just he was going in for surgery and he I, you know, and all the research I did, I you know, what I found was they had like left a sponge inside of him. There's something and he got an injection and died, which you know, as we know those things happened, but there it was questioned. It came up and the old newspaper articles when he died. I told all the stories when you know, the Review Journal and the Las Vegas Son and a couple of I think there was another one, uh Lats Vegas Independent or something like that shaying that some questioned it, but that there was nothing to it that he you know, he died in surgery. I don't know that he had, you know, if there was any motive to kill him, you know. But then they Susan's mother when he died, was in you know, in a sisted living place in La So they moved they moved Susan from Las Vegas to La to be near her mother, but she lived in a separate apartment away from her, I believe, and the bodyguard went with her. And then her mother died the next year. Am I jumping? Am I jumping too soon?
Speaker 5: No? No, no, that's she died, yeah, the following year. How did she die? And was there any speculation as to what happened to her?
Speaker 7: And Susan later, Susan later questioned, if you know, yeah, you have to understand Susan when she would question question it later. But you know, Susan, it's like emotionally she you know, when her parents died, especially her father, because she was so close to him, her whole world changed, you know. And Andrew, she she basically was stuck, stuck in Las Vegas, planted there firmly at age twelve, and emotionally didn't really I mean intellectually, of course, she grew up. Emotional only she was she was firmly planted in Las Vegas, and she remembers things as a little girl, and you know, not all of them, you know, panned out. She wrote a beautiful book about it, Easy Street. But her her mother died, and she supposedly died, I mean, I think she died of a broken heart. But she supposedly died of an overdose or you know, she was she was young, you know, her mother was young, but but uh wasn't really she kind of checked out her motherhood, you know, and her father was raising her and then the bodyguard of course, lou who she loved, and and then you know, as soon as as soon as she died because Susan said she was killed. Her mother was killed because of the money. But they still had to pay Susan. I mean, Susan got a lot of money over the years. You know, she had trust fun with turned twenty one, you know, and Chickie actually lived off part of it. Her uncle, well, she went, he whisked her away to Oregon, then put her in Chadwick you know, private school and where she went to school with wife and Manelian people like that. And and he was taking the money. And then when she turned, you know, he put her in college and she went to use c l A and and uh, he was living off with that money. So she got a lot of money over the years. So that motivation of money to kill the mother doesn't make sense, because you know, he owned he owned part of the riviera, part of the Flamingo, Uh, some apartment buildings and things like that, and so the proceeds Susan lived, you know, had for years. So that doesn't make sense because it wasn't like they didn't pay anybody that why you know, they paid her, they paid the mother. It didn't make any difference. But there was never evidence. You know, nobody ever investigated is homicide.
Speaker 5: Right now, you talk about Susan and she chose to pursue a writing career. How did she be fair with that? You already mentioned that she wrote one book, but how what did she write about in the very beginning?
Speaker 7: Well, she she went I interviewed the dean of students because she went to well first I'm sorry, First she went to u C. L A and uh and that's where she met Bobby Durst. But she went to it would be her lifelong friend and lay there as suspect and her murder. But she met him there. And then she transferred to UC Berkeley University, California at Berkeley and went to their journalism school or as we say, JA school. And I interviewed the dean of the JA school and she was it was interesting. I interviewed a couple of people who attended school with her, and one who went on to work at the Los Angeles Times, and and she couldn't be She was bored with school and she didn't try hard, and things seemed to become easy to her. And the dean told me that she never He liked her, and he and his wife are really good friends with her and stayed friends with her, you know, up until her death.
Speaker 5: But he.
Speaker 7: Said he was very disappointed when the San Francisco Examiner offered her a job because he thought it was too easy. It came too easy, too easily to her, as so many things did. She was spoiled, and so she sort of felt entitled. There's a mob daughter, and she would tell everybody that she was, you know, that her father was a monster. But she didn't last long as the Chronicle art the Examiner, rather because she didn't get along with she didn't get along with people, and she didn't, you know, she didn't want to work hard. And while she was in San Francisco, she herb is that herb can herb con she ae n Yeah, he's a big column this stand. She used to hang out at this grille and she was in his column all the time. So she kind of became a big, big deal. You know, Susan's best years were San Francisco, and you know, after that, of course she went to New York. Her best years were there. When she went to LA everything went downhill for a very long time.
Speaker 5: Right when and exactly how, because it was very interesting part of your book. Did Susan discover who her father really was in terms of his mafia criminal background? And what did she do as a result? How did she react?
Speaker 7: So it was someone she knew, I think someone she knew from college and someone told called her and at the time she was living in I think at that time she had moved to New York. I mean, she's still in college to tell people. But in high school I talked to people she grew up with. Oh, by the way, if I can backtrack to her childhood, a kid named Pat Dailey, who I've interviewed a lot and several times, and he actually went to her father's wake, and it's true in the book that she threw herself. He was there, threw herself into her father's coffin during the funeral. She was always very dramatic and never got over it. But he said that his parents while he could play it her house. He was allowed to play at her house or take the limo down to parties and stuff. He was one of her few friends in school her parents. His parents would not allow her into their home. She's rather interesting. They let him go there, but they want to let her, you know what I mean. Interesting. But anyway, she she went met this guy at a bar that they had a you know, a planned meeting, and he wanted to tell her something. And she went there and he pulled out a mugshot or something or wanted I think it was a wanted poster that she actually hung on her wall. Sorry, I'm gonna I'm in a coffee lounge actually outside, Sorry about that, he uh. And he told her, you know, this is who your father was. And he opened up a book and in it he found a page and it said who Chicky was, and it said who her father was. And so then she she didn't believe him. So then she went to a bookstore and looked up every book she could find, and she went to the library and found every reference and then she found that her dad, but there wasn't that much written about him, but she confirmed. So she did a freedom of Information Act, pulled the foy as we call it, you paper the f by FBI, and he said, and she sent in paperwork, and she got her father's file and it was you know, several boxes and went through it. And from that, you know, she never planned to, you know, write a non fiction book. She'd you know, she'd been writing. She'd started some you know fiction, you know, novels, which she did well with those.
Speaker 8: And okay, Round two.
Speaker 4: Name something that's not boring.
Speaker 7: Laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 8: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumbuck Casino to chum. That's right, Chumbuck Casino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today in the playoffs, free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes.
Speaker 9: Chump Chump a casino dot com.
Speaker 8: Plus the conditions of plus website retails.
Speaker 9: Waiting on a tax return, Hopefully it ends up in your hands. Fraudul went tax returns due to identity theft increased by thirty percent in twenty twenty three. If you're in a buying this tax season, LifeLock can help. Are US based restoration specialists are experts dedicated to helping solve your identity theft issues and all LifeLock plans are backed by the million dollar protection package, So we'll reimburse you up to the limits of your plan if you lose money due to identity theft. Help protect your information this tax season with LifeLock. Save up to twenty five percent your first year at LifeLock dot com slash aware.
Speaker 5: Up.
Speaker 7: From that came Easy Street, the book Easy Street, which they were going to turn into a movie too.
Speaker 5: That right now, what was it? What was it about?
Speaker 7: The Street is very good, by the way, Yes.
Speaker 5: This is highly acclaimed. Everyone talks about what a you know, what a great book it was. And her follow up, Lady Las Vegas, not so much. It was all what is what is the book about? Specifically? Was it completely true? And how was it accepted by critics? And how did members of the mafia react.
Speaker 7: Mafia didn't seem to care, you know, about the book, because I mean Susan didn't know anything. And you know, this was how many years later, you know what, fifteen years later or something, but or ten whatever it was, and she had because of who she was, she had, you know, entree into you know Vegas, you know the people who run Vegas. You know, including Steve When and his wife Elane. They helped her on the A and E special she was on later, she helped produce that, helped write it, and also in her later you know Lady Las Vegas. She had you know, entree into and to that whole whole group of people that other people can't penetrate, and so actually it helped her and they didn't care because she didn't know anything and nothing new was happening. But she was on a Jane Pauley interviewed her. I think she was on CBS or something, and she she had a full on book tour. And you know, nobody owns the rights to that book right now. A few people are trying to get it, but dial Press, I think nobody knows who owns it. So the book is out of print and hasband for a long time. A lot of people have tried to grab it up and can't. But yeah, it's But the interesting thing on that is she had a book, she had a movie deal come through, and Susan collected people, and she collected people who could be useful to her in her career, people in the music industry, publishing industry, and she knew a guy at a record company, and so he kind of acted as as a quasi agent and she was paid, Oh I don't remember. It was one hundred and eighty seventh found and or something is and it's as a movie option, you know. And then she was so difficult to work with that they killed the.
Speaker 5: Movie deal, right right.
Speaker 7: She never she never got over that. She didn't have to pay the money back, but she never got over that, And she grew more and more eccentric as she got older.
Speaker 5: What was the Easy Street?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 5: Memoir? Ask? What was Easy Street? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Memoir? Ask a little you know, through the rose rose colored glasses of a twelve year old, but written by an adult. I mean the style is just such a nice Stylini quote from it in the book. But she there was like saying, you know, my dad, my dad built the first synagogue in Las Vegas. Well no he didn't. You know, they may have attended it, but no, no they didn't. You know, that's shalom and the things that she kind of forget, you know, she like she said she was kidnapped. I could find no you know, court records or criminal records on it. She said she was kidnapped out front of you she was at Fifth Avenue High. Fifth Avenue School is where she attended school, which was just two blocks from her house, two short blocks. And some man opened the door and grabbed her and tore her in the back seat, and there were a bunch of comic books on the back seat with her. And as he started to drive, I guess he drove away and stopped at the stoplight, and she kicked in the door and she's eight years old and got out. And I mean, that's her side of the story. We don't know, but things like that she has in it, and it's just interesting about her mom and her dad and she, you know, she kind of downplays the in some respects. She downplays the role of her father because she knew that he was you know, he was he at one point had been a hit man apparently, but she downplays that sort of thing about him. It's kind of it's very rose colored glasses, but a good read and you learn a lot. If anybody wants to get you can buy it off. You can buy it used doctor Amazon. It's expensive, but you can buy it.
Speaker 5: Interesting. Yeah, going back with the FBI too, what I thought was interesting is that one of the things that was said to her, either through the FBI or the reporter that blabbed his mouth about the father, or the person that told her about her father's background, was that they said, matter of factly, Oh yeah, he was a trained.
Speaker 7: Killer, got kill it and he could to kill a man with one arm behind his back and the other Yeah. And that's a famous line that she'd said it on the Jane Pauly Show. She set it on radio show later, you know, This American Life. I think she was on with a couple of other mob kids or you know, relatives of monsters, and she always would quote that line because it was in a book that he was. He was, but it wasn't a hardened He didn't have that hardened look or you know, he didn't have if you didn't know, if you saw him on the street, you wanted to have thought that he didn't have, you know, the Vegas look, you know, the ft back here and kind of I mean, it's just sort of the thug look. He in, the type of suits and stuff. It was quite a sharp dresser too, apparently, but he didn't have that and he didn't He wasn't a tough guy. And people who worked for him loved him. I interviewed Bill Miller, who was a couple of years uh, I think he was a couple of years younger than Uh. Then Susan and he became actually governor and his father went to prison for I forget what, but he was kind of hooked up with the mob a little bit. And and uh it was Bob Miller. And Bob Miller was a lifeguard, you know, at the at the Flamingo, and he would always be invited to Susan's party. They'd always be kids of the workers who were invited to her parties. Kid she didn't know very well. And he and he said, you know, everybody loved Davy that that he was. He was a gentleman and treated treated employees with respect. So he didn't you know, he didn't pushing weight around or anything like that. He was like a gentle gentleman monster.
Speaker 5: And Susan had no problem. I guess you could call it exploitating, but exploiting that relationship she had with that information she had in those behind the scenes people in Vegas and romanticizing the entire mafia as well on the mob in Vegas, which included her father. So she had no problem doing that now nobody.
Speaker 7: Nobody, Yeah, that's what she did, and nobody seemed to care. Like she bragged about Elvis cent a birthday party and labaraci and birthday parties and Jimmy Duranty giving her gifts and you know, she was Susan was a name dropper. And it's interesting that she she tried to hook up. The people she stayed friends with were famous or infamous, you know what I mean, But she was if somebody wasn't useful to her, for the most part, she didn't keep them as friends. It was interesting kind of what she definitely had an effect on her growing up in that environment as really a mob princess because she was spoiled, you know, spoiled spoiled girl. Yes, and then the rest of her life she felt entitled.
Speaker 5: Sure, now you you talked about Robert or Bobby Durst, and they met in college, but you could tell us a little bit more about when and how they met. You said about college, But how did they meet? Was the relationship intimate or what kind of relationship was it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they were, they were. She always referred to him as her as the brother she never had. They met at the was he was a year or two older than her. I think that they He only attended UCLA for a year and he was there for a graduate degree which she didn't finish, and Susan was there for her undergraduate and they met in the quad, you know, outdoors and you know the city in areas where the kids, you know, the students, and they met out there and their their their common interests were that their mothers had died. He actually witnessed his mother committing suicide by jumping off the family roof and he was on the ground when she landed. And every yeah and every you know, profiles have been done on him and said that that affected him. So right then they had she was she was you know, her mother died as well and when she was young, and so they had that that commonality and just sort of intellectually he was, you know, he came from a really you know, the Dursk Corporation and and the huge real estate owners and developers in Manhattan, and which came in handy for durs later when his wife is missing, and but never romantic. She wasn't interested in him, and vice versa, but they they were they see each other, and then she basically followed them to New York because that's where he lived. So she after working at the Examiner, she freelanced at City Lights. Wrote a wrote ah in an article how to get laid in San Francisco, and back then it was a big deal and that kind of made her famous, and she she used that to get into New York and get with New York Magazine hired her. So she and then she saw Bobby a lot. They'd go to Elaine's and a whole group of people would go and Larraine Newman from Saturday Night Live was one of their friends, and they just had the whole following of people.
Speaker 5: Now it was Bobby Durst a real eccentric character at that time. And also you didn't mention that you mentioned that she was a mob princess and felt she was entitled. But she felt entitled and she, like you say, she knew people that were powerful and or famous and or wealthy. So Bobby Dursky her money, but but there's other people that gave her money as well, so that wouldn't be so unusual. But tell us about uh, tell us a little bit about that, and and tell us because you don't talk too much about it, but about the behavior of Bobby Durst at that time. Was he a real eccentric guy, because later his behavior is quite different.
Speaker 7: No, he was. He was quiet. You know, sometimes you have to watch out to the quiet people. You know, still watters run deep, and in Bobby Durt's case, that was it. But he met he met Kathy Durst in in New York, and she was very sweet and normal and wanted to go to medic was attending medical school, and he became There were people who who you know, I interviewed for the book who said that, you know, at parties when Kathy would go and Susan would be there too, and she was Kathy's friend, but she was Bobby's friend. First, that Bobby was controlling over her about you know, where she'd go and who she talked to and that sort of thing. It was never that way with Susan. But then Bobby's you know, they had a fight and Bobby's wife ends up missing and and someone called the medical school to say that she wouldn't to be attending. It was a woman. And everybody believes, and I believe it too, that Susan was his alibi and and was the because she you know, she I forget what the alibi was that she she confirmed something and then was the one they believe who called in seeing that the wife wanted to be attending school. So it's uh, and that's a deep, deep secret to hold for someone, you know, if you and she filled the media request for him, which was a big deal after Kathy Durst. It was a huge story in Manhattan after she was missing, and you know, she's never been found and her body hasn't been and they declared her dead. You know, years later that Susan filled it and did all the interviews for Bobby, so the media.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so she was very supportive. But when did police didn't find out immediately though that the actual time of death or they didn't put together that someone had made a call and it certainly wasn't Kathy and it must have been some other woman. So this is this doesn't happen right away. Bobby Durst has the ability to avoid and charges. Initially, Yeah, yeah, he didn't report.
Speaker 7: He didn't report that his wife is missing for I don't know, three four or five days something like that. He went to walk into Manhattan. It wasn't living in Manhattan, but they had an apartment in Manhattan and they lived. Oh, excuse me, I don't I can't remember where they lived, but it wasn't in the city that they had an apartment there and she would stay there sometimes when Kathy would when she'd have to attend classes. And so he didn't report it right away, and I went to the Manhattan station and interviewed, you know, a couple of people there, the cops, and asked why, you know, why wasn't this investigated? They did not investigate it as a homicide. They didn't. They took his word for it, didn't do any searches for a while, and didn't ever really look at it as a homicide. It was just a missing person. They said she ran off, which, of course, you know, they had a terrible side. She was visiting her friend that night at a party, and you know the captain, the Jamie, who is very good friends with too with Kathy Durst, and believed in her heart of hearts that that Bobby Durst that's her killer. And you know, people try to connect that scusan murder later. You know that she was going to spill the beans and so Bobby offed her because of it.
Speaker 5: Now, explain that you did, Bobby, and you know, for the logic of that, Bobby has a relationship with with Susan. Uh, he's the prime suspect in the death of his murder, in the murder of his wife and Susan you talk about in the book. Susan told at least one person, if not more, that he had admitted that he had killed his wife. So that's why, Yeah, that's the largest person.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she told, Yeah, she told, and you know, she kept a secret. You know, if it's true, she kept a secret for a very long time. And she was Susan wasn't good with money. She would come into lots of money and she never told her friends that. You know. At one point she was given like what was at one point three million dollars or something. She's given it an increment's twenty one, which you know her uncle bought her, you know, in college. He bought her a convertible Mercedes fans and she you know, is middle of the Vietnam era too, it is kind of out of place at UC Berkeley, and she u twenty one. She got a lot of money to pay for her education too, and her support and then twenty five she got it chunk and thirty I think was when out twenty five or thirty is when she got to one point three million. I think she got large amounts. And then later there was some property that sold that her dad partially owned, and she got a payment from that too. And she always complained that she didn't get any money from the mob, and it wasn't true. And because I pulled up all the financial records, they're all filed with the state and Davy's name is on him, and then her name is on it too, you know, as a dare. But she went to Bob. She was she didn't have any money, she couldn't get work. It was when she was in LA and she went to Bobby for money. She needed a car and she needed support. She was being booted out of the place she lived in the house she lived in and Bobby made that's when he was missing in Texas, but she didn't know it. And I'm jumping the gun, but he's living as a woman, a mute woman. And he sent her two separate checks for twenty five thousand dollars each And people say, well, that was payal, but that was Bobby. We don't know what he gave her over the years. He could have given her other large checks that she never told anybody about.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Right now, the thing is what I don't know if it's clear, but is that the murder case was reopened, that Kathy Durst murder case was reopened, and then and then.
Speaker 7: It was a bounce to they wanted to interview Susan. Yes, that's an integral part of the story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So Gilbierta Najami said that there was a leak by police and she blamed police because Bobby Durst. She claimed that Bobby Durst then knew that Susan was going to be questioned about the Kathy Durst case. And obviously there was information that was known to police or they believe that someone had made a call in which was a woman. And so that makes a lot more sense for a motive for Bobby Durst to have this murder.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and there's yeah, and he doesn't he doesn't have an alibi, which I'm reveal in the book. You know, his attorney, dip to Garan, who you know, Bobby Durst attorney, who is a very good one, you know, one of the top one hundred. He's been named in the defense attorneys in the country.
Speaker 5: Yes, she was.
Speaker 7: Shortly before Susan's death, a newspaper article came out citing that the case that Kathy Durst disappearance case was being reopened and Susan was a person of interest that they were trying to get a hold of to interview. And then Susan had told a couple of her friends that the stuff was going to hit the fan, that there was some information she had, And then they assumed those who's in it's just another mob story. You know, nobody cares anymore that that part the mob is so old. But in retrospect they looked at it and said she was probably talking about Bobby. You know, would Susan have done? I mean, she was loyal to a tea. That's one thing she learned from her father is you know, you don't you don't you know, knock on people you you know, you keep secrets. I mean she if it's true, she kept a secret for a very long time for Bobby. So what would motivate her He just gave her money. What would motivate her to you know, turns, you know, become a become a witness for the state. I mean, I don't, I don't. Maybe he worried she would, but whoever came to her house that night, she let that person in. And she had also another another clue to putting Bobby durs next to the murder. Is he she told some friends that Bobby was going to come and visit her. He was in San Francisco. Who's going to be in San Francisco because he had a place there, a condo in the city, and he was going to go to La and visitor. That's and he was going to take her back to San Francisco's what she told France.
Speaker 5: Now, what you haven't explained, and I'm just very curious, is that you just allude You just talk about his cross dressing and and and posing as a mute woman. Did he just all of a sudden start cross dressing. Did he start cross dressing just because he needed the disguise? Is this just part of the behavior? What is going on?
Speaker 7: I think I think it's a little bit of both. I mean, the guy was definitely as he got older, was eccentric, But you know, so with Susan, So I think that was part of the appeal with each other, is they both were eccentric and he and I think they were damaged. She was damaged by the loss of her parents. He was damaged by the you know, suicide in front of him at age seven, so they both were damaged. But yeah, he went to Galveston Bay too, because I think he went there in disguised because the Kathy Durst investigation was closing in. Uh And so he goes to Galveston Bay, to a little crummy area of the of the of town and near the near the water, near Galveston Bay and rants this little motel kind of a you know, weekly rental or whatever. They are a little just imagine a little beach place. And his neighbor is uh more as Black and an older guy, and they befriend each other, and apparently he pissed off uh Bobby, and he said that there was a gun and and it was drawn but he didn't mean to he didn't mean to pull the trigger, and that he accidentally killed one Morris Black. And so to get rid of him, he got a saw chainsaw and he sawed him up in the in in the rental and put him in bags and dropped him in Galveston Bay. And then a fisherman and his twelve year old son were out fishing and came across body parts, body parts. I think it was the head first and can you imagine that? Poor kid? And uh, and then he went on that he went on the lamb after after he dropped the you know, dropped the body parts.
Speaker 4: Into the bay.
Speaker 7: He then you know, went on the lamb and he was caught shoplifting shocklisting a sandwich and they pulled him. Yeah, they pulled him up and they let him go. So he was on the lamb for He was on the lamb for a little while until they finally finally got him. So while she was but in between, you know, I talked to Dick de Gearon. It was interesting, and you know, I love it when things like this happened as we're writing our stories. It's like a gift to an author, you know. But I was interviewing Dick de Garon and and said, you know, I mean, you know, Bobby was never interviewed by the by the police for Susan's murder. So the lapd kind of dropped the ball in a couple of ways. Who's never interviewed Dick was, And so I asked, I asked mister de Geran if if Bobby had an alibi because he's got an alibi. He was in San Francisco. He was in the air headed from San Francisco to New York when she was killed. Well, that wasn't accurate. He was in the air when her body was found, but she'd been dead for twenty four hours, which gave him Appleton. That's an hour flight from sep Francisco to LA that's a four hour drive, five hour drive, four and a half. And I've done it, and uh so he actually had plenty of time. There's what what was he doing the day before, you know, Friday night? You know, and whoever whoever left And Bobby was also one of the things he had in common, huge animal lover, and he apparently had an Afghan dog and she was she had three god Wire terriers and hyper little dogs. And whoever killed her left the back door open so those dogs could come and go, and that's how they found out her body was in there, because her dogs were running in the front yard on Denied at Canyon Road. So yeah, I mean, it all points to him, But they say they don't have enough evidence, and I'm like, God, wasn't there less evidence in the OJ case?
Speaker 5: Well, but you do explain though, too, that someone commented at least theorized. And I see examples of this where you already have them on a first degree murder charge doing life without parole. It takes a lot of effort to mount the case and a lot of money, and you have to have a lot of evidence.
Speaker 7: So yeah, with them in the circumstantial evidence too, they can they can use circumstantial I mean, they didn't really pursue him. They didn't. They should have immediately. It's like her, you know, and then you've got another person of interest at the time they say he's no longer a person of interest, but her manager. And you know, if you want to call him a manager, he was a friend. She met him a apartment complex when she lived off of Sunset was for free, by the way for five years and actresses as singers. Apartment who who offered her when she, you know, filed bankruptcy, she offered that Susan could live in that apartment with her as a boyfriend's daughter. And Susan stayed for five years. Can you imagine she just had a way of people. People did things for her, you know, I mean, people want people who knew her and they loved her. But they were also exasperated by her, you know, I mean she offers her someplace to live temporarily and she stays five years and they had to do quite some cleaning because she had three dogs in there, and I guess and nobody had been in there in years, and I guess the place was the mask But that's where she met her manager and walking her dogs down the street and he was walking his and he just kind of took over managing her that she never paid him, and he was upset with her because she owed him money. And he actually broke into the house the day Susan's body was found, and he broke into the house looking for her bank records. So but they didn't search his house or office for two months. So they they dropped the ball in some respects because they didn't get Bobby Durst. Never interviewed him, just his attorney and you know, never checked for you know, fingerprints or whatever, you know, matching whatever they could on him. And well, you know, when his his when he was ultimately arrested for the Morris Black murder, he when he got off, you know, dickta Garon got him acquitted on self defense and he in his the trunks of his car were two guns and one was a nine millimeter. Susan was shot with a nine millimeter and the ballistics on that because Susan, Susan was shot once in the back of the head coming out of her coming out of going into her spare room, and I felt like somebody was following her into the room, you know, but it was someone she knew. And uh, the ballistics on on that gun and the bullet at her house were inconclusive. So there you go. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Interesting. So what's what's the latest update on this whole case, Bobby Durst, What's what's the latest wrap up on this on this thing here?
Speaker 7: Well, I don't, you know, I don't know that they're ever gonna, you know, do anything. I mean, I talked to to the lead you know, investigator in the case, and there you know, they get leads periodically, but nothing major. And they admit that mistakes were made. But even if Bobby Durst that he told me, Paul Coulter, even if Bobby Durst came in and said I did it, they'd still have to have evidence that he did. So they don't have the evidence too, they say, I mean, I've seen circumstantial cases come in with Wes and you let the jury decide or you let the grand jury decide whether they want to and die them. But they never put this thing forward. I mean, he got a pass from Manhattan because of who his father was, you know, Seymourgers huge, I mean, owned half of Manhattan and he seems to have gotten the past ever since. And you know, he had one of the best criminal defense attorneys in the country. You can't blame him, really, you know. I mean, the guy's not been convicted of murder, you know, and he's connected. He's tied to three murders and he's never never been convicted. So I don't know, you know, I think it's a I think it's one of two people in the case. But there I don't, you know, short of finding the smoking gun, I don't know that this case will ever be solved.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to Bobby Durst, though it looks points to yeah.
Speaker 7: The manager a little. He was acting strange and you know, you know, so I don't use his name, but he, uh, he just kind of some things that just don't add up with him. But yeah, Bobby, it looks like Bobby did it, but it I mean it would be the biggest double cross of the century if he if he did do that, I mean the way I look at it. You know, just because he killed someone else doesn't mean he killed her, you know what I mean. Sure, but it's it's hard to it's hard to say the case wasn't handled, you know, as as it could have been. Yeah, we'll never know certain certain points. But fascinating. I think her and I think it's sad. I think it's sad that no one has has has you know, come to justice in her case. She was sad character, wasn't she?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she was. And it's it. It's a fascinating tale because of all of its historical background, that information that you're providing, and it's almost biographical about a mob princess and person trying to write. So it's very interesting too, her whole life, Like you say, Liberashi and Elvis come into her birthday party. It is a real glimpse into the real story, not you know, the Hollywood version. So it's a it's a great book.
Speaker 7: It's a whole thank you, and it's a whole different and it's a whole different era that's gone that is not the Vegas of today.
Speaker 5: You know, and so it is.
Speaker 7: It is a real snapshot into what it was like back then.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's about the only part of the mob that they could be romanticized because there was some aspect of a little bit of charm and a little bit of class despite being thugs, you know. So it's definitely definitely the good old days of crime and when crime was a little more civilized. Unbelievable if it could be.
Speaker 7: But I will on the boys on the street. I love the way that one woman said, Yeah, the boys down the street, those are the guys the mob on this trip. But anyway, you're welcome. I'm happy to be here and I appreciate you giving me the time.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you very much for a great interview and about a great book. People have been listening to Murder of a Mafia Daughter, the life and tragic death of Susan Berman with my guest Kathy Scott. Thank you very much. Kathy, have yourself a good evening.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Dan, you two.
Speaker 5: Good night. You've been listening to the program True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them, with your host Dan Zupanski. Join me next week.
Speaker 4: Good night,