Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Coming up at bottom of this hour. The progress is hard to nail down when it comes to recovering from the wildfires. On the one hand, you've got home actually being built in Palisades, and then in Altadena you've got no permits being issued. This is the worst case scenario for people who have already suffered three months after the loss of their home in many cases, in some cases the loss of family members, loved ones.
Speaker 1: This is the dichotomy that everybody predicted money versus no money, ease to rebuild versus not easy to rebuild. And there's one thing when it comes to having the money to rebuild your home or a home or stay in the neighborhood, and another when it's the permit process, when the when the wheels greased for some and not for others, that's when you start getting really skeptical and annoyed well with government, and.
Speaker 2: For decades, very few people just in general, ever have to deal with a permitting process for local governments like this, and when they do in an emergency situation like this, you see how broken the system is. It's not built for you to get your life back together. So we'll talk about that at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: The story we've been following for you is just a nightmare, and it started with just that missing thirteen year old boy out of the valley over the weekend. On Sunday, went to go see his soccer coach we now know in Lancaster, took the train out there and did not come back. Brother calls the cell phone, The soccer coach answer says, the kid's busy. Then dad calls, and then the family calls the police and says, the kid has not come home.
Speaker 3: There's something amiss here.
Speaker 1: Yet the soccer coach, the family will tell you with somebody that the family trusted, somebody that actually helped the family search for the thirteen year old boy. Well, his body was discovered in Oxnard along a road on Wednesday, and now that soccer coach, Mario Aquino has been charged with the murder special circumstances murder.
Speaker 2: Yesterday you mentioned the phone call. The boy's father, Daniel said he called the coach after when he was when the boy was missing, and the coach had insisted he dropped the team off near the family's home. Investigators said that they were able to use information from cell phones, cell phone towers, and other tracking systems to figure out that the suspect did visit the Oxnard area near McGrath State Beach in Santa Clara River. A foot search by LAPD FBI led to the discovery of the boy's body. They've also said that, or at least they're keeping under wraps how exactly he died. But we know that the charges against this guy include a special circumstance allegation of murdered or the commission or attempted commission of ludax with a child that would make him eligible for the death penalty.
Speaker 4: The DA has yet to decide on that.
Speaker 1: To make matters worse, this quote unquote soccer coach had been investigated by the Sheriff's department last year for what well allegations of an unrelated sexual assault. This seems to be another kid that's involved. This was a February twenty second, twenty twenty four incident.
Speaker 3: He was charged last Wednesday with this incident.
Speaker 1: The coach, according to criminal files, says they say that took advantage of a position of trust and confidence in committing that assault. So you are right if your mind has gone to, oh god, how many other kids, because that's where everyone's mind has gone to, law enforcement included. If this guy was working as a travel soccer coach, a youth travel soccer coach, how many other kids, maybe from families that don't speak English as well. Was this guy taking advantage of not taking advantage of excuse me, assaulting? Yeah, because it's an assault on the whole family, isn't it. This was a family that moved from El Salvador for a better life for their kids. This little boy, Oscar was ten years old at the time, moved here three years ago.
Speaker 3: By the way it comes.
Speaker 1: Here, he's a standout soccer player, very gifted, you know, very popular in school, very gifted at soccer.
Speaker 3: Has this coach who ends up killing him, living his body in a field.
Speaker 2: There are also some law enforcement sources who have been saying that the coach was an immigrant from El Salvador, undocumented.
Speaker 4: So this is one of those stories that's going to be making.
Speaker 2: Headlines nationally, nationally as soon as it starts getting some amount of speed.
Speaker 1: Because this guy was here illegally. How many kids did he victimize while he was here illegally? And under what guys, and under what administration's policies.
Speaker 2: And and like you say, taking advantage of other kids and families who may have been undocumented because they don't want to raise their hand and bring attention to themselves. Sheriff Luna says that the original case against this guy that they investigated but apparently didn't charge, was that he had befriended a family there in Silmar. They were allowing their teenage son to stay with the coach at his residence up in Palmdale, And while they did file a criminal report with the Palmdale Sheriff Station alleging sexual abuse of the child, the kid was sixteen at the time. Detectives during that investigation learned that there was yet another unrelated child sex abuse case being handled by the Department LAPD's Foothill Division that involved this guy. So you had at least two other cases that were being investigated with this we're reported.
Speaker 1: If you're here illegally, if you don't speak English, what are the chances you report something like this?
Speaker 3: You don't, I mean, you don't report it.
Speaker 1: A lot of times even if you do, if you are here, if you were born here, if you speak English, it's unreported. A lot of families feel a lot of shame about that, especially if the parents rubber stamp the kids spending time with the coach.
Speaker 3: Everyone feels shame everyone.
Speaker 1: Maybe they seek out therapy for the child or the family or what have you. But I bet a lot of these don't go report it. It's like rape, It's like any of these things. You know, there's a degree of shame that come with them. What's why the numbers are so low from what they truly are. So if there are two boys that their families are here illegally and they reported this, imagine what this guy is capable of or was capable but he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The idea of artificial intelligence being used in conjunction with our nuclear power plants. There's one functioning nuclear power plant in California and there's a company that wants to use AI along with Diablo Canyon, Well, what.
Speaker 3: Could go wrong?
Speaker 2: Well we'll talk about what even they say about using AI when it comes to nuclear path I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've kind of my my thought process and AI has evolved quite a bit. I'm kind of like humans AI, what's the what's the drop off there?
Speaker 4: I mean, what's more dangerous?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Stories. We're following for you.
Speaker 1: Today's US stocks rising big swings, however, still rock Wall Street for a second straight day. It's like the S and P five hundred has added one point two percent after giving up most of an early four point one percent gain. So it's again up and down. We don't really know until the closing bell. Really, we could give you updates as the day progresses, but like we saw yesterday, it's just it's up, it's down, and you don't know where the dust is settles until it does.
Speaker 2: Just the Air Force is reversing its ban on including preferred pronouns in your email signature. In a news release that came out, the Air Force had said it was rescinding the earlier directive to cease the use of preferred pronouns the he hymn, she heard, ay them whatever, to identify your gender, identity and professional communications. All airmen and civilian employees may now include their preferred pronouns back in their email signature.
Speaker 1: Blocks you know, I heard you start talking, and I completely stopped listening once you said the word pronouns. And it's not because I am old and refuse to accept change. It's just because I honestly know I'm going to be confused and I don't have the bandwidth for it right now. When you get into pronouns, into policies using pronouns and things like email signatures, you lost me, Like, what a luxury for anybody to be upsetsed with a policy over how you sign your emails? Who's even reading email anymore? I know, I know it's just me that's not reading email anymore, but you.
Speaker 2: Never really have who goes to the emails signature to be concerned about someone else's exactly.
Speaker 3: Why I say it's a luxury.
Speaker 1: If that's where you're looking to be aggrieved, good Lord, you have won life.
Speaker 2: We in the great state of California have one nuclear power plant that is still up and running. And although there have been discussions about decommissioning Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant just up along the coast north of San Louis Obispo, and it is slated to begin the decommissioning process in a few years, it is still going because we still use nuclear energy here in the state of California.
Speaker 1: PGNE runs Diablo Canyon, which is very troubling to say the least.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not going to start any fires with a with the nuclear power plant.
Speaker 4: We hope that would be quite no.
Speaker 1: But it is a nuclear power plant, right that is run by pg and E. They received some new hardware, eight Navidia H one hundreds, which are among the world's mightiest graphical processors. Their purpose to power a brand new AI tool designed for the nuclear energy industry. Now, this is just meant to help workers there at the plant go through all these technical reports and regulations millions of pages of intricate documents from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that go back decades while they operate and maintain the facility. What they are is basically computers to read and I'm assuming tell you when you're in compliance, what needs to be tweaked if it does, and just to make sure everything's in order.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There was one statistic that I saw from marine Za Zowalik, from pg and E Vice president of Business and Technical Services. She says, we spend probably fifteen thousand hours a year searching through multiple databases that's a full time job for three people for an entire more than three people for an entire year, working eight hours a day. That's all they would do is search these databases. And the hope is that these supercomputers and AI would get that stuff done in an absolute fraction of the time. But it's important to point out that the company itself, this AI startup called Atomic Canyon, which works there in San Luis Obispo, that even they say, you can put this on the record, Trey Lauderdale's the chief executive, the AI guy in Nuclear says there is no way in hell I want AI running my nuclear power plant right now, and that the things that his computers and his company will be doing have to do with simple database searches.
Speaker 4: Well, AI, and I'm not simple, but I mean.
Speaker 1: It is simple though in the world of AI, we're at the very rudimentary stage of AI. Yes, what AI is doing right now is child's play compared to what it eventually will be able to do, but we are not there yet.
Speaker 2: Well, and they don't even here's the thing, they don't even know what AI would be sure.
Speaker 4: With a nuclear power plant.
Speaker 1: Exactly goes back to the highest math class you ever took and do you remember knowing all the stuff you didn't know, like all the things that were possible with equations and things that you knew you would never know because of the potential exactly. That's kind of where we're at with AI right now. Like us dumb dumbs are like it makes a song, Oh look, it reads a book. It can help me on my college essay. But it is going to do things we can't even conceive, we can't even begin.
Speaker 3: To think about.
Speaker 2: So Trey Lauderdale again, CEO of this company that put this thing together, He said that they are in talks with other nuclear facilities around the country as well as groups who are interested in building out small modular reactor facilities. There's been discussion about that technology where individual neighborhoods may have these tiny nuclear power plants to run a smaller grid, for example, and how they would want to start integrating the technology from the company into this nuclear space. He said he's not the only entrepreneur he's looking at ways to use AI into the nuclear energy field. The question that has to be asked though, and one of the things that we have to be careful about, not just in nuclear but in all aspects of AI, is what safeguards.
Speaker 4: Do we have?
Speaker 2: What in the I mean the old cliche of the computer is out of control and you walk up to the wall and you try to unplug it and it doesn't work.
Speaker 4: It's still moving, it's still going.
Speaker 2: I mean, that kind of a cliche situation is what they have to be able to prepare for and safeguard again, and they're not even sure that they have all of the answers to those questions.
Speaker 1: Let's just say that this story about AI being used at California's Diablo Canyon is probably the only AI story we're ever going to be able to wrap our heads around.
Speaker 2: Because all they're doing is looking through records millions and millions and millions.
Speaker 3: This is where we probably tap out.
Speaker 4: That's we've reached the ceiling of our.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, coming up negs. First, homes have begun rebuilding after the Palisie Palisades fire, and not a single home building permit has been finalized in Altadena.
Speaker 3: A tale of two fires.
Speaker 5: When we return, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: Top of the hour.
Speaker 2: We'll talk more about what's going on with the terrorists, but specifically why it is that China is not going to be backing down. It's going to take some major shift in the thinking of Shi Jinping if he's going to down at all to Donald Trump. So you got two guys, neither one of them is willing to bow down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a battle of the egos in the political capital, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: We do have good news to tell you about.
Speaker 1: We've talked about the company Colossal Biosciences before they.
Speaker 3: Try. They're trying to bring back lost species. That's their whole deal.
Speaker 1: And they say they've genetically engineered wolves with white hair and muscular jaws like the dire wolf, the extinct dire wolf.
Speaker 3: They range in age.
Speaker 1: They say the wolf pups from three to six months old. They've got the long white hair, they've got the jaws. They are much larger than gray wolves. Dire wolves. Their closest living relatives today are the gray wolves. This doesn't mean that dire wolves are necessarily coming back, but they this is what they do. They've previously announced similar projects to genetically alter cells from living species to create the animals resembling the extinct wooly mammoths, dodos and others.
Speaker 3: Now, that is a big bird. Don't play it. Don't do it. I just said it. We don't need to redo it. We don't.
Speaker 1: Don't don't hello, you know whatever that soundboard is, get rid of it.
Speaker 3: Escape. It's a regionalism.
Speaker 4: Escape.
Speaker 3: Is that still a thing? Is the escape button? Does it still work on a I hate myself?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Thank you? That is you know, big be.
Speaker 4: Are you done?
Speaker 3: You need to calm down. We were supposed to get right into that.
Speaker 2: Well, oh, there was a thing in the Palisades. That fire was three months ago, yesterday, if you can believe that. The fire then started later that night in Alta Dina up in the hills above Altadena. And as we've said many times, we said it that day and the weeks after that, this is a tale of two different, very different fires because of the locations the geography won the Palisades technically the city of Los Angeles, Alta Dina in the county of.
Speaker 1: La Well, and it was a very interesting conversation that, like you said, we saw play out in real time, you know. You and I saw the forecast on that Monday and we thought, oh hell, things are going to break loose. This is this forecast is this is not the boy who cried wolf. This is the real deal. That was the same forecast that now Karen Bass, we realized got and still chose to leave the country. She's got a lot of heat for getting the same forecast we did where you and I, not mayors of the city, said oh man, all hands on deck, this is going to be a rough week.
Speaker 3: And it was.
Speaker 1: We also saw play out in real time the reaction of the Palisades fire.
Speaker 3: It was too.
Speaker 1: Big and moving too quickly to get out in front of. And that's why we saw what we saw in Paradise when everyone was trying to get out in one road and it was just devastation as people had to run from their vehicles. And in real time we saw people say, why is this taking so long? With all the money that's in the Pacific Palisades, Why is this taking so long? Why is there so much devastation? You didn't hear that when the fire broke out in Altadena. You didn't hear that reaction of where is everything, where's all the resources, where's all the water? You just didn't hear that because there are two different set of circumstances or expectations. I should say when fires break out in La, there just are A fire breaks out in the Suppulvita Pass and you know it's going to be put out yesterday. You know it's going to be put out right away because of all the money that's there. A fire breaks out up in the foothills and you don't intrinsically expect it to be knocked down right away. And I'm not saying anything about the firefighting resources or how they're directed or used, or what the sense of urgency is based on the location of a fire.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying those are our reactions.
Speaker 1: If you've lived in LA for any amount of years, it's just realism. And now we're seeing that play out in real time when it comes to building back and we're seeing it play out the way that we would have hypothesized.
Speaker 3: Palisades are getting green lights. When it comes to permits.
Speaker 1: In Altadena, not a single home building permit has been finalized.
Speaker 2: There's at least one home on Depaw Street or near Depaw Street that has that has begun the process of rebuilding and within according to the construction company, they say they should have a house done in about ten months, which would be a significant milestone, especially and probably faster than a lot of people assumed. Now, the blueprint of this home is very similar to the blueprint for the old home, which they're saying is one of the reasons why the permit was approved so quickly.
Speaker 4: Well in the old time new home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the old home was just finalized two years ago, right, so it's exactly the same.
Speaker 3: They're going through the same thing again, so.
Speaker 2: They can keep you know, if the design is mostly similar, and then they're adding things like some minor modifications for fire protection. Uh, you know, they're not going to have exposed rafter tails, special roof vents for fire zones, all of that sort of stuff, new landscaping, all of that's going to be done to protect the home. So they were able to test resbestos back in February, they submit their plans to the city. In March. The family opted out of the Army Corps Debris. Remember the Army Corps of Engineers was going to come in. They opted to have their own company clear the lot because they could assume that or I think probably rightly so, assume that the company would be able to do it quicker than the Army Corps of Engineers. Now again that's on the palisade side. On the Alta Dina side, you've got people. For example, Margo Stuber, one of the victims. She has lost her house and she and her architect, Trinidad Campbell, submit their plans at the beginning of March to rebuild the home, and they were promised by the county that there would be a two week turnaround time for a first review and then a thirty day plan to issue a permit once the application is submitted. The problem is three different agencies had to look at that permit, planning, the fire and building in safety, and each of those agencies took the two to three weeks to review the plan, and in the end it meant that there would be at least three months before they get the permit, So they're still looking at May or June. Before all of this, homeowners said they're getting on the phone with the insurance or various county departments. Has been like a second job for them because they have to live and I should say they have to live in the temporary housing, which is an arm and a leg. They have to move from spot to spot or their couch crashing or spare room crashing with friends. They said in La County they received one hundred and seventy three zoning reviews and initiated the permit process for only twenty three of them. Now, one of the issues that I thought Rick Caruso was planning on, if you remember his he had offered to help out, was that they were going to have or at least he proposed the idea of having bringing in AI to help sift through this permit planning process so that it could raise some red flags and then have a human review at in the event that there was something that needed to be reviewed. This is exactly the This is exactly what people talk about when they say that government is broken when you need it the absolute most. And this is you know, people may say it, you sure you need fire and building in Safety and Planning department to all look at each of these things. Hey get in the same place at the same time.
Speaker 3: But you know what, you saw this train moving down the tracks.
Speaker 1: If you've ever needed a permit for anything, you've needed a permit for something or the house, right, I mean I haven't.
Speaker 3: But I've avoided it.
Speaker 1: I've been told how to avoid getting or needing a permit for X, Y or z, because it's such a process, because there's so much bureaucracy period for like a shed in the backyard or whatever, right, something that should be not a big deal to build an entire home a course, Yes, it would be nice to get somebody in there to streamline the process. Somebody can just say that's not unnecessary, it's unnecessary, or just like pile all the rebuilding of the fires into one stack at the permitting office and to deal with those separately and differently. But that would require somebody like I don't know, Elon Musk to come in and just be like, hey, we're not going to do it the way that you've been doing it government.
Speaker 3: We're going to do it my way.
Speaker 1: It's going to be quicker, it's going to be easier, it's going to be cheaper, and we're just going to do it this way.
Speaker 3: Because there's too many people.
Speaker 1: In that room, they're like, no, but we've always done it this way, and I'm important because I have to sign up on it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's ego involved, there's a lack of creativity, there's a lack of innovation.
Speaker 4: I love it. Is it better? We didn't get to the we for a while, but then what.
Speaker 3: We weren't supposed to revisit that.
Speaker 2: Some intimacy coordinators say they do have jobs. My job is a real job. Put your hand there, touch that thing there.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine what takes the sex out of a sex scene more than somebody coming in and managing it.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: A bunch of stories that we're following include, of course, the fallout more fallout from the tariff discussion out of Washington, DC, and when we get into swamp Watch at the top of the hour, we'll talk about why it is that Si Jinping is not going to back down at least doesn't look like it anytime soon. And the dire Wolf you mentioned this earlier. They've a company has says they've brought the dire Wolf back. So cool, they've kind of brought back a wolf that was not the dire Wolf.
Speaker 3: It's close. Gary, don't make.
Speaker 1: Me use your Christian name one more time, because I will. Okay, we've talked about intimacy coordinators before. It was a reflex or results, whatever you want to call it, of the me too, movement of actresses feeling like they had been taken advantage of on sets for generations, and this was a way to kind of bring consent onto the Hollywood set. Somebody that would come in and say what was right, what wasn't right, what was acceptable, ask for said consent from the parties present. It just seemed very odd from go I can't believe there haven't been more jokes made about it. Maybe there have, and I haven't been privy to them when it comes to SNL type sort of comedy. But the idea of having a sex scene, which is already so unsexy when it comes to Hollywood in terms of well, the fact that it's fabricated, it's not real. It's why that when movies come out where there's a leading couple that actually is in love or is in lust, it's a fun movie to go see because they're not faking it most of the time they are, and so it's already.
Speaker 3: Kind of a weird.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: I would assume a very weird, awkward thing to act out. You've done sex scenes before in your adult theater.
Speaker 3: Well, I saw. I saw at least a little.
Speaker 4: Bit of it.
Speaker 2: Where I held the woman's hand. Yeah, Okay, was that weird? I did not have an intimacy course, that's.
Speaker 1: For that, No, But it was an intimate moment that lasted about six six minutes.
Speaker 4: Okay, relaxed.
Speaker 3: It was a long time.
Speaker 1: That weird.
Speaker 4: Why were you so offended?
Speaker 3: Because it was weird? It was my wife, it was phony.
Speaker 2: Yes, they say that intimacy coordinators insure a s and.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a believable relationship.
Speaker 2: Insures a safe and consent forward environment for the entire cast and crew. But the pushback that they're getting I think is most interesting because you've got people like Gwyneth Paltrow. When this came up, we talked about it. She's in a movie with the young Timothy Shallow made Yeah, and she wants to get up in there and she didn't want an intimacy coordinator they're telling them or having anything to do with it, because she said it was getting in the way of what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The another one, Tony Collette, she said, I felt like those people who were brought in to make me feel more at ease were actually making me feel more anxious.
Speaker 1: And you got to ask yourself, who the hell are you to come in and tell me what I feel safe for, what I feel comfortable doing. I know what I'm signing up for. I got the script right here, page eighty three. It says, you know, I sticks his tongue down my throat.
Speaker 4: You saw Anora, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Mikey Madison, the lead actress in there, won an award for one awards, I should say, for her Best act Fiction. He did not have an intimacy coordinator. And from what I understand, there's a lot of sex that goes on in that movie. Yes, So is it a matter of just finding the person who is going to be more comfortable with doing it by themselves or because in the event, let's just say that Mikey Madison wanted.
Speaker 1: I think it's a cover your ass job for the studios. Yes, that people bring these people in on set, but it's kind of up to the actors.
Speaker 3: And I probably I bet eighty eight point.
Speaker 1: Nine percent of people are like no, no, no, but they're there just so the studios can say they were there.
Speaker 2: Alicia Rhodis has been the in house intimacy coordinator for HBO and HBO Max for seven years, working on a bunch of different shows.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's the that's when it all happened, right seven years ago.
Speaker 2: She says that intimacy coordinators are very new. We're just getting the framework of what regulation and standardization looks like for the role, which means for the last ten years, it's very realistic that actors have had varying experiences with these intimacy coordinators, some positive and so.
Speaker 3: What a BS job. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Well, in the event that you had a young actress, take Mikey Madison as an example, because she has this award winning Oscar Worthy performance, Oscar winning performance, and in the event that she felt uncomfortable with it, does she win the award? But in the event that there was an intimacy coordinator there because she was so concerned about what was.
Speaker 3: Going on, taken the role. You don't take the role. You know, this isn't the This isn't the fifties or the.
Speaker 1: Sixties where young starlits are forced into contracts and on fen fens and not eating for weeks and forced into sex roles just because they're kept women at the studios, like there's strong women on the set everywhere.
Speaker 2: Do you think do you think these intimacy coordinators have a time limit like.
Speaker 3: I think they can.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that right now they are a cover your own ass job for the studios.
Speaker 3: I think that they are silly. They're silly hearts want to make an Uncle Buck reference.
Speaker 2: They also said that they work closely with the costume department getting them information they need to source the right modesty garments and barriers.
Speaker 1: Like when Brian Williams's daughter did that scene in Girls?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 1: What are they are they sourcing the saran wrap or whatever it is they used for that?
Speaker 3: What do you not remember that?
Speaker 4: No? I never saw that.
Speaker 3: I didn't either, but I heard the story.
Speaker 4: Wasn't you know Dunham in that? Yeah? Okay I didn't.
Speaker 1: You don't remember the Alison Williams story? But what Okay, I'm not going to be the one to talk about it with you.
Speaker 4: You know you're going to drop.
Speaker 1: My intimacy coordinator just came in and said, we're not having this conversation.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about China when we come back to Gary and Chan.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,