Speaker 1: Uh so, Balky, you finally have come to grips with what the idea of elevated horror is figured With this movie we're talking about Undertone, which is a elevated whore.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's described as that. I don't think it was marketed as elevator. Well, no one markets it that way. That's a movie like a people like this kind of term. It's like, oh, that's an elevated horror. So how how would you How is this market just regular horror is what it's called.
Speaker 1: I would argue some of the most creative marketing I've ever seen in my life. The the actual marketing that I saw was all sounds, and I was like, well this as a sounds related person, I was like, well this is interesting and it kind of caught my eye and it turns out ear ear, yeah, there it is. Thank you for that. It turns out, though I was snookerd yet again.
Speaker 2: With this one, it shouldn't have been snookerd because you you kind of I mean, I would assume every five year being was like, Okay, this is gonna be elevated horror. I know what I mean. Your expectations had to have been met for this.
Speaker 1: I well, only because you set them where they need. I did not know it was elevated horror going into it because, like for sake of argument, in three ten Cloverfield Lane or whatever the hell, the trailer for that was the one scene of John Goodman popping off, and I was just like, man, I'm really that looks awesome, And it was. It was a cool movie, Like I really enjoyed that movie. When you do the unique marketing, or you do the one scene of a movie marketing, it can go one of two ways. It's either going to completely send you on an experience that you thoroughly enjoy, or you're going to say, what the hell did I just watch? That one scene that I saw was the best scene here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I have.
Speaker 1: To say, not knowing what I was getting with this movie at all, there was a lot left to be desired.
Speaker 2: I think I told you what the budget was for this movie earlier, Yes, before I would have Well, I guess I can't ask you because you knew what the budget was after you saw it. But when you saw it, did you did this feel like a five hundred thousand dollars? No?
Speaker 1: Where did that money go? I feel like this.
Speaker 2: So if I wouldn't have told you it cost a half million bucks to make this, what would you imagine?
Speaker 1: I would have guessed if you would have told me six figures, I would have been like, nah uh. He's like realistically, man, Like, I think there's as much budget in this podcast, Like there's two people, there's some microphones.
Speaker 2: Which which was ironic because this movie, the main character is a podcast host, a horror podcast host, right, some would say in elevated horror podcast host. But basically her and her co host, as I kind of tell the listeners a little bit about it, they host this horror podcast where they have this audio that's sent to him or they collect it from the internet. Yeah, and they try to determine whether this was real supernatural stuff going on in the audio, or if they debunk it, like this is not real, this is fake, this is set up or what have you, or there's a logical explanation for what we're hearing. Yeah, and she's sort of the debunker and he the believer. It's very Molder Scully, you know, they have a very Moulder Scully relationship. And this whole time she's caring for her mother who is dying.
Speaker 1: Do we know from what I don't think.
Speaker 2: So she's in some sort of coma and she's in her bedroom and the podcast host is staying with at her mother's house. Okay, so stuff happens. They get sent ten files anonymously and they're breaking them down and they're kind of playing them one by one. Although I don't think we heard all of them now that I think about.
Speaker 1: It, No, I don't think. So there was a Yeah, they skipped a few in there, but you here one, two, three, like six eight, and you're not hearing anything with like it, none of them are worth it.
Speaker 2: Well you say that and then and I was kind of with you. But then at the end, I mean, I had to do some internet research on this just to make sure it was matching up with how I took it, and it was there. There's a twist to these audio files and how they relate to the host, the podcast host. Yeah, okay, so so you have that sort of twist. You have the technology that allows her to place some of these clips backwards where she is picking up on different words. Sure, and there was in doing her research on this, she's finding out, oh hey, there there might actually be something here, right, So this mystery is kind of unfolding in front of you, and I guess when when that those are your plot devices. You can make this fairly cheap. So how do you make it scary? How do you make it intense? How do you make how do you elevate it that? Yeah? And I think and I can't remember. I'll look up the director's name in a second. It was his first it was his debut directorial debut, and I think he chose and we'll get into the sound aspect in Twison Toison, yes, Ian Tuison, which I think he wrote it too. Anyway, these shots, these panning shots, right these these three sixty shots right where it builds the suspense, It builds the intensity, and that's how you you know, have this effect on the audience. Now it's not you know how many jump scares were in this one?
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't even remember being jumped. I'm gonna be honest to you. Towards the end, now, if that, if that happened, it was good. It was not sufficient enough to get okay, oh yeah, I was only in a theater with four.
Speaker 2: You know what, that's not one move. No, I'm not gonna say that wasn't a jump scare because it wasn't sudden enough. But you know what, because of how slow and deliberate this the pacing was in this movie, doesn't it seem like a relatively it was a jump.
Speaker 1: Scare, yes, but like not organically earned. And for wanting to be an elevated horror movie, you can't resort to the schlocky let's turn the music and volume up really loud in a quiet moment for a jump scare kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna take back the whole jump scare thing. It wasn't but that was the closest we got to it. Now, if I were to ask you somebody who's never seen this movie before, Ben, yeah, I was thinking about seeing this Undertone movie, and Ben, you saw it, what what movie would you compare it to? What? What elevated horror movie have you seen that either had elements Undertone, had elements of that film, or reminded you of this film?
Speaker 1: You know, he and I did not talk this through before he brought that up.
Speaker 2: It's quite frankly, I don't have a good answer for this because I haven't seen a whole lot of horror.
Speaker 1: I know you've watched a ton yeah, but it's not even it has nothing to do with the plot. I walked out of that film reminding myself of the Blair Witch Project. Oh yeah, because it was seventy minutes of why the hell am I watching this? With ten minutes of oh shit's getting interesting? And then it was over. And that is the best way spot on me. That is spot on. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: There were some uh, you know, honestly, I like a movie where I'm kind of this this is my lowbrow movie. Take. I like a movie where I'm kind of and I think you do too, where you're guessing what's gonna happen next, where you're you're trying to figure out what what's this character going to do? What's what's the motivation for this character to do this, or what's you know? And and I like that better than where I'm trying to figure out not necessarily what's going on, but why am I seeing and hearing what I'm seeing and hearing, you know, like, what's the purpose for this? And I feel like I was asking myself why am I meant to hear this? Why is why is the director choosing to show this? Why is the director having this sound play or or this audio file play What what am I supposed to be gleaning ont of this? And I felt that I spent most of the movie asking myself that, right and which kind of took a little bit of the enjoyment away for me. And then at the end, I feel like a lot of that was still unanswered. I still don't know why the decisions that Tuison made Ian Tuison made in this, I don't I don't it definitely. I can say for pretty certain the desired effect that he probably hoped that the audiences would feel it was lost on.
Speaker 1: Me personally thousand percent. And I will say and disclaimer here for this, like it is very difficult to make a haunting horror movie that I'm going to enjoy. It can be done. Like I can acknowledge that the Conjuring movies are very well made. They're not for me. But Evil Dead is one of my favorite franchises that's about possession, and yeah.
Speaker 2: I just feel like those are those are a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Well, they're in your face, there's a lot more goal and stuff like that, but it's still the idea of a spirit inhabiting a body, which it's more difficult to get me invested in that kind of plot, trying to figure out this here it kind of gets funneled into a similar boat. And I can even tell you I thought the best parts of this I almost wish And maybe it's because of our profession and I'm used to talking to you with headphones on in this certain kind of discourse. I think I would have enjoyed the movie more if it were just a ninety minute podcast, Like if they did the movie like it were a podcast. Oh, and they had worked together the entire time, and like things slowly unraveled, because as soon as the scenes with the podcasting ended, I would find myself checking out of the movie.
Speaker 2: No, but that's a good point. That is a good point, because I do feel like I didn't know exactly what was going on the relationship. I mean, clearly it was a semi complicated relationship that she had with her mother. Yeah, it sounded like she had a semi complicated relationship with her significant other in this And I feel like we should talk about this too. She is the only moving character basically for this whole movie for ninety minutes. Do you have the cast? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: What's her name again, Nina Key, Nina Kiri, who you might remember from I want to say Orange is the New Black, that was like her big thing.
Speaker 1: But heretics escalation. I don't have any Oh, that's because it's movies. I'd have to get the IMDb.
Speaker 2: I thought you did.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I just have the generic one up here. But go ahead, keep talking and I'll get the TV shows. So so she's going to be in the street Fighter movie that'd probably be better than this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Handmaid's Tail. I just as soon as as soon as yeah, yeah, I'm like, okay, yeah, she was in the Handmaids Sale. I don't think for all the seasons, but I know she was in for a good part of it.
Speaker 1: And she does fine. For the record, Like again, it's an eight twenty four movie, which is so hit or miss in my book because they've done some of my favorites of all time. Green Room Top ten horror movie of all time in my opinion, green Room.
Speaker 2: Have I ever heard of this? Have you talked about this?
Speaker 1: I don't, I don't know. Maybe not. The one where the heavy metal band goes to the neo Nazi bar and they witness a murder and then they get stuck in the green room and they have to figure out how to.
Speaker 2: Get out of the bar. Can't they just leave?
Speaker 1: Oh fucky? And like that's the best part is you're like, well, why wouldn't they just do this? I remember watching it for my first time in twenty fifteen, thinking well, I would just do this, and the characters did it, and it shows you why that didn't work. I'm like okay, and then I'm like, well, then I would have just done this, and then they do that and I'm like shit.
Speaker 2: So there are some twists where you're finding out, you know, why they can't do I'm.
Speaker 1: Telling you the obvious. Yeah, I reck if you're looking for an a twenty four movie that I'll actually get a kick out of, green Room is. There's other good ones. Midsummer was fine, Heretic is fine. Green Room is the only one that I would describe as like, oh my god, that was such a such a blast. How old is it? Twenty fifteen? Okay, And like I'll say something if we can remember, remind me to say something, I'll say it off the air because I don't want to say it on this podcast about it, but it makes me like it even more. But in any event, so a twenty four for me is a very mixed bag in terms of what I think the movie Tusk, when Justin Long is getting turned into walls, I think that's a twenty four and I actually like that movie, but I'd argue it's much more lowbrow than the average eight twenty four film is going to be. This was much more towards the higher end, and I would funnel this into my problems with the movie It follows, which we talked about two weeks ago, in that there's long silences, the scenes are framed in a way that it is creepy, Like there's big empty spaces that you're like, oh, something's gonna cover that space, and then nothing happens in that space. And did you notice there's like subtle moments, like early on in the movie she'll close and I'm technically not spoiling anything, or she'll close the door and has a mirror on it. There's definitely just something standing and you see it for half a second and then the mirror closes. Right, It's so subtle, but you're probably zoning out because it's so boring. There was something in the mirror, yeah, like in the distance and you can see it just standing there and like you get it for half a second. I'm like, man, I wonder how many people that happened, That's what I'm saying. And I'm willing to bet I missed three or four things, because I myself found myself zoning out quite a bit, scrolling even in the theater, just being like, oh man, it has been so long since anything happened.
Speaker 2: I do not care.
Speaker 1: And on top of all of this, I was distracted by her co host Adam DeMarco Is. The actor sounds like he should be hosting an NPR show somewhere, which is probably what they told him to go for, but his delivery made me think he was the evil spirit the entire time, Like I was waiting for one of those kind of movies. Really, I'm like, Okay, so this guy's clearly evil or is coaxing her to open more of these because he's obviously.
Speaker 2: And he part of the thing. He ultimately was involved. Yah, I mean, but I don't want to ruin anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the record, I saw this whole movie and like, I'm not even sure that I know everything that happened, because I can't express how much I was.
Speaker 2: Like I did the whole wiki thing. Yeah, you know, there wasn't anything in there that I didn't pick up on, but you telling me this stuff in the mirror, yeah or whatever. I didn't.
Speaker 1: It was so subtle bulky that I myself did it.
Speaker 2: I actually said that, Yes, is that is that? The design?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 2: Is that? That is that the design that you you you lull everybody into this false sense of nothing going on, and then it rewards the active viewer.
Speaker 1: Sure, and that's uh, that's an A twenty four staple. I don't want to. I don't I might be misspeaking, but I think in the movie Hereditary, she's just in the corner of the room, like there's a scene happening, and then like the scene has been going on for three minutes and then the entity moves. You're like, Jesus was that thing? Oh yeah, that's awesome. Like there's ways to do it in a way that pays off, but this was so subtle. Yeah that I was like, who actually saw that? Because this movie, especially if you're not in theaters, does not encourage you to pay attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a lot there's a lot of moments in that where and I feel like if you're experiencing a film, television, show, music. I think is is definitely true as well. You have to be active, you have to be an at you have to actively let this content saturate through you, right and and and seek out everything that you should be seeking out. Right. It's it's it's a two way street, right, Yeah, you can't just let it hit you. You got it. You gotta be involved in it. And sometimes a tours will challenge you to test, they will test that and I failed this test, and it.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you're good to yeah, one hundred percent, and like you can also fail in a good movie, like in The Departed, h every character it's about to die has an X above their head.
Speaker 2: Which I didn't even realize until you told me.
Speaker 1: Yea, I didn't notice it when I was watching. It's one of those things that come across it in like a BuzzFeed article or something like ten things you didn't notice in movies that you love, right, And it's just like, oh, it's sort of a gun, so like it can absolutely sling both ways. But this one, I think people were missing stuff or people I was missing stuff. You were missing stuff because allowed me to speak for you kind of checked out as like you could tell twenty thirty minutes in what it was story.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even like a matter of checking out. It was a matter of it was so deliberate, it was so slow, and it just kind of lulls you where this would be the perfect opportunity to introduce some jump scares to kind of reset the audience. Yeah, and you didn't see that.
Speaker 1: Are we cretans for saying that?
Speaker 2: No, I think we're being honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I And I don't think I'm going to find positive reviews while you're talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I bet plenty of the critics are saying some of the same stuff we're saying too, like actual film, real life pundits.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't need to know what sucked about this movie. I can tell you just find I want to see what people saw in this they were, Well.
Speaker 2: You make it seem like, because this is our take, that we're not evolved enough to handle something like this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I sometimes wonder because this isn't the first time. The VICH I always call it because it spelled with two v's, is like ninety something percent. I'm like, that sucked. That was so boring and I didn't get anything out of this.
Speaker 2: This is a witch movie. I hat's like a movie.
Speaker 1: From like colonial Like it's like colonial American times.
Speaker 2: Trials that kind of era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, probably, And like at one point in the trailer that's what got me, Like the goats gets on two legs and kind of starts hopping around and it's like, cgi way, it's very uncanny, very creepy. I'm like, oh, that might be fun. That is the only scene in the movie that I remember. It was a complete waste of time. I'm pretty sure it all ends with like the women in the in the family like holding hands and spinning in circles, smiling, and then it's over. I'm like, what did I just watch? And like you go and look at their views and they're like a cinematic masterpiece, unparalleled by I'm like, what's wrong with me that I don't see this at all? Same guy did no Speratu didn't even watch it. So I'm like, if that guy did the vivich, I am not coming back because I know I'm getting into and this absolutely had me thinking of those type of movies, and I wonder, like, has the Marvel virus as it infected me in a way that I cannot have don't.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't think that's the case at all, because you still appreciate other stuff you can, you can still appreciate well, I don't know, Like now that I think about this, what's a film that you and I have focused as a topic of this podcast that not necessarily is elevated horror but lower dialogue, smaller dialogue where the emphasis on the sound and what's on what's on the screen, you know what I mean, rather than what people are saying. The environment is sort of the star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Long or Longest Walk? What was the movie called The Long Walk? That would probably be one there, Yeah, because it was like the desolate atmosphere no matter where they were, with decrepit falling apart, Like you could story without any dialogue in that story?
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 1: Did you have an example in mind?
Speaker 2: No? I did not.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was that's.
Speaker 2: All I mean. I was thinking of Nuremberg. But but Nuremberg was so was so dialogue. Yeah, that wouldn't that wouldn't apply. I'm just trying to think something like Mother, you know, which we didn't do.
Speaker 1: Which is that a twenty four? I think that might be a twenty four let.
Speaker 2: Me ask you this. I've never seen this movie and I heard it was really really good, but I don't think I don't think I would enjoy it. The Lighthouse with Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't see it. I'm familiar.
Speaker 2: But that's another one where I think like, there's all this symbolism and hidden stuff in there that you really got to be actively seeking stuff out to understand what kind of what's going on and what the desired effect and the story is, you know, And I feel like that's how Undertone was.
Speaker 1: What was like, what's funny is is this movie couldn't be more polar opposite from Undertone. But much like our first movie, or maybe second movie of the year, Primate, I was doing this podcast with you saying, you know, I'm pretty good at figuring out the subtext in movies, like symbolism very rarely goes over my head. I know what they're trying to tell me. And I said, I do not know what the symbolism was. And it got to the point where even screenshoted you the AI version, I'm like, oh, it turns out there was symbolism in it. Even in primate. What was the point of this Was it about relationships with mothers and daughters? Was it about the uncertainty of being a parent, Because whatever the main thrust of the movie was, in my opinion, had nothing to do with any.
Speaker 2: Of those ideas.
Speaker 1: And I have no idea what the point of that movie, of this movie it actually was.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll go back to what I originally said that some movies are just made.
Speaker 1: That's not a thing. Some movies are just made, and definitely not by A twenty four.
Speaker 2: To be watched, right, A twenty four picked this up. By the way, this is not something that was like it was. It came out by a different film studio and then like last year something, and then A twenty four sort of like, okay, well we're gonna get the rights to this and distribute it. So it wasn't like one of their own.
Speaker 1: According to Sundance dot Org, it is the crushing, often delusional burden of traumatic loss, grief, and caregiving fatigue. See I figured something about caregiving, but like, what did the supernatural entity have anything to do with that? Not a damn thing, Like I feel it was a disconnect.
Speaker 2: Was a supernatural entity her mother in between living and dying, do you know what?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I mean I guess that that maybe could be.
Speaker 2: Where where she has the ghost, this quasi ghost of her mother and she has this you know, the next generation sort of like kind of there but kind of not there, right, I don't know.
Speaker 1: See, Like compare this to the movie Smile, which I still say is my favorite scary movie that I've seen since moving to the Fox Valley that whole Oh.
Speaker 2: By the way, I watched it.
Speaker 1: Follows, Oh, yeah, we'll talk.
Speaker 2: It was good. You like it? Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm saying, Like there's things to like about.
Speaker 2: It, but I'm just like there, you know, honestly, not that We'll just side by real quick, because it kind of ties in a little bit to undertone what I loved about it. Follows was you, as the viewer, clearly knew what was going on at a certain point in the movie. Sure, and you'd see these Okay, I'm going use Saturday Night Live, Yeah, Storty to describe this. There's a sketch from Jenna Ortega hosted called like Varsity Blues or something. I don't know what it was called, but it was Marcelo Hernandez and Jenna Ortega as boyfriend and high school boyfriend and girlfriend senior year, and Jenna Ortega meets him at a waffle house, like in a parking lot, and she kind of breaks up with them because she's going off to film or to music school in New York and he's staying behind or whatever. So it's this very emotional conversation. But in the background, it's a waffle house. Crazy stuff is going down, and it's hilarious because it's it's it's it's it's sort of like this, you know, the desired what they want you to see is literally in the background, not in focus, right, but you know what's going on, and it's hilarious while this big emotional thing is happening in front of you. It follows you have these conversations between the characters. You have just everyday life going on, people walking around, talking in a classroom, what have you. And the camera doesn't frame it right. Yeah, this is all a sudden there and it's it's not stopping and the camera still is not framing it.
Speaker 1: But but you.
Speaker 2: See it, right, you see what's what's happening. That's awesome. It's so good. It's so good, right, And and in this I feel to tie back into undertone. I feel like in this it was like like that was kind of there, but it wasn't bonk you over the head there, right, And I wish like it would have been bonked me over the head because while you know, I'm sure that makes me a Cretan. Yeah, it would have been more enjoyable.
Speaker 1: I completely. I couldn't agree more. And I was gonna compare it to U because the idea of traumatic loss and grief is the exact same subtext and smile. But it's like, in order for the beast to follow you, you had to witness someone die in front of you. Yeah, and they had to have the entity in them when they died. It's like, oh, I get that because watching someone die in your life absolutely like if you physically see the act, that impacts you in a way. And that's why, Okay, explain to me what even if it follows, I understand it follows could be a sexual reputation, especially as a woman if you find yourself in that situation. So it follows, I get it. It hits you over the head, it's there. I do not know what the point of this movie was I almost would rather just finished this podcast talking about it follows, you know.
Speaker 2: What, I'd love to and I don't know if there is one what's his name again? Ian Ye love to see an interview like where he's talking about this movie and why he decided to make it, what he likes about it, and I think then we could probably figure out the tie in yeah too, or or was was this was any of this real?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, like you you never know in these types of things where it's like it is, are we are we experiencing this? Or are we experiencing the character's experience of this, you know, where it's it's actually just going on in their mind? Spoiler alert. Shutter Island? Yeah, it was a lot like that, right, yeah, because for the majority of that we're seeing the movie. We're seeing the film through another character. We're not seeing the reality. Sure, and there's better examples of that than that, but Shutter Island was the first one that came to mind, which was a great flick. Who did that? Was that? Scorse? Okay? Anyway to get back on point, I think you can make a case that unless you point something out that I missed, you could make a case that we don't know exactly if any of this was real, or if this was going on in I can't even remember the girl's name, the woman's name, but where it was going on in her head this whole time, Evie. Maybe it's a commentary on on mental health and the impact that these outside forces have on our mental health and what it can do or or how things can be twisted in our own mind because of each human has its own unique perspective of what life is and what their surrounding environment is. I don't know, there's a lot of different ways to go on this with with the meaning, and I think the supernatural aspect of it obviously gives you an avenue to sort of it gives you the vehicle to to sort of showcase psychology that goes into this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I will say, because I've been taking a hot steaming pile on this entire movie.
Speaker 2: He Yeah, I don't want to make it seem like I liked it. I'm just trying to come up with excuses.
Speaker 1: Conversely, I'm saying the last fifteen minutes did have me uneasy, and I am not encouraging you to see this in theaters, but I am saying. Seeing it in theaters added an element to it because the whole thing is kind of audio based and having movie theater speakers versus watching it on your phone or on a computer or on a TV where you're it's it is different. In the last ten minutes, I was like a little uneasy. But I will say, and this is a quasi spoiler, the jump scare never comes, so like like I was sitting there like, Okay, they're gonna hit me. Yeah, seven seconds of intense, deep visuals.
Speaker 2: I'm ready for it. What do you make of like not having that payoff? Is that something that you have to pay off or or are you okay with having horror blue balls at.
Speaker 1: The It's a matter of execution, because I'm asking you it can be done.
Speaker 2: It can be done correctly. You're telling me.
Speaker 1: I've evolved on on that matter quite a bit because I used to as a kid, especially a kid growing up on horror, when adults in the room would tell you, no, your imaginations there scariest, like get the hell out of here. Show it to me. And as I get older, I find that my own mind can take me to some very dark places that a lot of directors and whatnot, Like, for instance, the Wrong Turn remake, there's a scene where they say, we're punishing you to the darkness, and in the darkness, they pull your eyes and tongue out and they throw you in this room and it's just pitch black and you just feel your way around it. When they show you the darkness, it is just black. Like they open a door and it is just black, but you never go in. And I was sitting there watching that movie and I was like, man, I kind of wish they took me in there to see what it was like, but my mind is going crazy right now. But then twenty minutes later, they do take you into the darkness, and it was terrifying and it was so creepy and so well done, and so like that shows you they left it up to your imagination. They let me run wild with it, and I created a very scary scenario. Then they showed you their own interpretation of what it would look like in there, and it was harrowing, and I was like, okay, and so like, you can do it right both ways. It's just a matter of execution. They could have never shown it to me, and I would have been very content with my own mind and how I perceived what the darkness was.
Speaker 2: I have not seen this film. Yeah, I would imagine from the way that you're telling it to me.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: The reveal, Yeah, would be the darkness like that they send you to mm hmm, just like a normal room bathed in light, but because you have no eyes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's dark to It's not that it's definitely not that.
Speaker 2: Didn't cross your mind when you're framing it in your own hat.
Speaker 1: No, because like there's a creepiness you wouldn't have think You wouldn't think it the room, but the way the people were acting in there. Because the movie is not great. The original Wrong Turn from three was way better, but is that Paul Walker is No, but it feels like Paul Walker would should be And I think you're thinking of a joy ride, but which they also redid also not as good as the two thousands.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think who would be wrong, because that's like Dawson's could have been Josh Jackson or somebody in Yeah, I don't know that one of these one of these frat bros.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I can picture Jessica Biel in there, but I'm pretty wrong Turn. Yeah, but that I think is because she was in the Texas Chainsaw.
Speaker 2: Yeah she was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't recognize any of these names. Eliza, Douchhoes, Eliza.
Speaker 2: She was in Oh God, what was it?
Speaker 1: Some Bring It On?
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no no. She was in some w b c W show. Buffy. She was a Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That's what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, But in any event, I say all that to say, you can I have evolved enough. But like I'd also say, the Zeno morphin Alien is one of the scariest things I could ever conceive of, and someone else had to do that for me. And in the original Alien you really don't see it that much. Aliens shows up and they're like, we're gonna throw this shit in your face for two hours and it's never gonna stop being scary, and both of those can can be true, and so I just think this one, for me, there there wasn't any element. It's I wasn't uneasy enough at any point. I see people giving this thing five stars. One of the scariest movies I've ever watched. In what effin universe?
Speaker 2: Was anything I didn't get It didn't I didn't get that, but I mean, you know, but again, it film is as literally shaking.
Speaker 1: This was so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just it's I can see how certain people would be into this.
Speaker 1: Left the movie with an eerie feeling. The movie was good and so unsettling. I mean, there were unsettling moments that I found myself bold.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you what. The conclusion unsettled for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, but dude, I wish there's times when I wish that we had we could do spoilers because there is a line of dialogue in there that if I say it, I feel like there's not too much dialogue. Yeah, but like she says one thing towards the end and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Wait, yeah, what Yeah, So there's two things I want to bring up here. Yeah. Number one regarding the dialogue. Let's do that, because I've wanted to bring this up like three different times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hit me with it.
Speaker 2: The dialogue that she has with her podcast host before they start recording, and then while they're recording, it seems so hokey.
Speaker 1: And yes, that's why I thought he was evil, right, because the way the delivery was happening, I'm like, there's something up with this guy.
Speaker 2: But I mean no, it's just I mean, like, okay, so they're talking about like, yeah, we're gonna play this audio file. Oh, okay, let's play the audio file. All right? You ready for the audio file? You're ready for the audio file? Yeah, let's do it. All right, I'm playing the audio file. Like when stuff is that ridiculous and not or at all, I feel like there's a reason for it. It was almost as if they were reading these lines rather than memorizing them. Yes, And I was like, okay, well, there's there has to be a reason for this. There wasn't, at least that I could tell.
Speaker 1: I assumed he was evil, but that was that. That's how bad it was, is that I was like, he sounded like a mischievous NPR broadcast.
Speaker 2: Let me bring this up to her. Co host is an American living in London, right, Yeah, they record this podcast.
Speaker 1: I said, yeah, I didn't remember any of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's in London because they talk about how he wants her to visit him, and sure they record this podcast at like three in the morning, right m hm, which is like nine in the morning in London.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why couldn't they just do it?
Speaker 2: The heck couldn't they do it at like four or five London times so she can get a decent night's sleep. It's not like she's caring for her dying mother or anything and needs rest. I mean. And that's another thing, like they we we see the clock like twice? What was it more than twice? What was the movie with Laura Lenny where it was all about the Witching Hour And they've made a big deal of the clock turning to three am every night because that's when these spirits would come out. I think she was like a lawyer or something and in the movie or a psychologists or something. I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Emily Rose, that's what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was something they made this huge deal every time the clock turned the theater and they made kind of a big deal. And two or three times at least in this film they showed the clock ticking to two fifty five or two fifty six. Ben Did that have any meaning?
Speaker 1: Not one bit? That's another highly revered one that I was like, what the hell? What did I just watch right now? I remember I was in high school. One of the first R rated movies I ever saw in a theater without my parents. Because you have to be of a certain age, and uh, there wasn't a seat in the house. I went on a date and we got the last two seats from the theater for Exorcism of Emily Rose. Like, oh, I think we got a banger here. Yeah, and of course the person I went with was uninitiated. That was really scary. Yeah, No, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other aspect I wanted to bring up here and we talk about not having that big payoff scare at the end, right, which I think you could make the case that there was a version of a payoff here. I would contend there is not. There are three feelings I have when when I leave a horror movie after the ultimate ending, right, Okay. One is this one where I'm I just my muscles are still tense and and it's like a gradual come down because my body and my mind was preparing for something sudden that never came. There was no horror orgasm. There is no yeah, horrors, there's no hororasm. Great name for this title of this episode, so that's what they should have called it. No, that's the executive like you know, like like uh, like what do you what should we call this? And and uh, one of the executives is like undertone like, oh yeah, that sounds good, but uh uh Lyle the intern thinks horror gas would be a better title for it anyway. Okay, So that's one feeling. Another feeling is I'm like and that, by the way, same feeling I had after Blair Witch Project, like yeah, with with my muscles and everything. Another one is when you get the release and it's awesome and you like come out of the field theater almost euphorick, like you're telling your friend, oh my, that was awesome, you know where you're just you're riding this wave of energy. You know that that paid off? Right, That's another one. And then the last one is, uh.
Speaker 1: That's the Devil's Rejects for me, by the way.
Speaker 2: Reject it was there.
Speaker 1: There was more than one, right, Yeah, that was the second one.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, and then the the sort of the the last feeling I have is complete and total dread where you wake up from a nightmare and you don't want to move. You ever had that where you have a nightmare life and you just yeah, you feel like it's like it's like you're hiding from the t Rex. As long as I don't move. Yeah, nothing can hurt me. That's the other feeling, right, The last two feelings I brought up so much better than this natural come down where it's just like I get it's it's honestly aggravating, it's it's it's you know, what's the equivalent of being disappointed with a horror movie as into sexual frustration. Yeah, I'm sexually frustrated by the movie in a horror sense.
Speaker 1: No, exactly. I couldn't agree with you more. It left a lot to be desired, and like, while the last ten minutes were creepy, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Well I would I would contend that more than last ten minutes were creepy really well with the figurine, right, Yeah, I guess that's just the stuff when with her mother and not being not everything being the same in the room, trying not to spoil it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what's going on with that, sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the shots of her mother, the actual visual camera shots of her mother in that bed. Again, sometimes I think when you're waiting for something to happen, that can be creepy in and of itself.
Speaker 1: For sure, and it for me a harken back. I don't know who I was talking to about this out there?
Speaker 2: Where was John Jordan's review of this film.
Speaker 1: By the way, Yeah, he hasn't seen this now, and I'm trying to think. I don't think it was him who was talking about pet Cemetery with me. I don't remember John Jordan. It was someone. Yeah, you would think now it might have been It might have been PJ. Might have been Nick. I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: Who that was. Was it Heather? Heather, Heather whom I not? Heather? Laura? Oh wow, Laura, Laura Lee. Yeah, sorry, Laura, It's been so long since I've talked to her. Yeah, Glauralle, don't tell her this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean it's out of my hands. It's recorded. But I say all that to say the mother.
Speaker 2: Or you can call me Mitch. Next time you see that the.
Speaker 1: Mother in pet Cemetery, the scene have you seen the original pet Cemetery when you know the mom in the movie had like childhood memories of a sick aunt or something like that, and then I'm sitting there at six years old and you see this twisted up woman crawling towards the camera and this that that is what my mind harkened to watching Yesterday's thing. But again, maybe it's because I was a child, Maybe it's because they did it way creepier in pet cemetery, but her just laying there more realistic. Absolutely, can people relate to that experience. I'm sure in a horror it just I'm sure there is a target audience. There are clearly people that gave this five and four and a half stars that just thought they saw pure cinema.
Speaker 2: It just so for you, the mother not creepy enough for a horror movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was just it was it was more sad than it was creepy, you know what I mean? Like that that's how I look at that. And there was never again to bring it back to smile that focuses on a sick mother, and they handled that the appropriate way. And I was sitting there like, man, I am uneasy for one hundred straight minutes, for one hundred minutes, I'm sitting here waiting for shit to pop off, and I love this feeling, and like that is what I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: Are you glad that I kind of told you what I thought of this movie? Yes, prior because.
Speaker 1: It lessened my expectations and they still weren't met, right, And so that, I think though, provides me from not just completely suplexing this this movie.
Speaker 2: And I think because I feel like if I wouldn't have said anything to you about it, you would have been destroying everything about this movie.
Speaker 1: Our cold open would have been me MF and you for not giving me ahead of Yeah, exactly how did you not tell me? But like, and by the record, my spider sentences were up on this because we for those of you listening, we had to put this off for a week as a result of the snowstorm, and part of me wanted to say to you, but I let too much time go by. I'm like, since we skipped a week, do you just want to do ready or not? And keep pace because I'm really not interested. And then you said that, and I was like, son of a bitch, Yeah, should have so.
Speaker 2: So in regards to this, what attracted I know, what's what kind of attracted me too was the marketing. Yeah, for the emphasis on the audio and uh and when we do Project Tail Mary in a few weeks, I will have some things to say about the audio on that movie too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on all practical effects already, I haven't even seen it, and I know that going into it. There's no green screen, blue screen, any of that stuff. They built the entire Fitch thing, which is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, Ultimately, I think we both let our imaginations run wild on a film that had a half million dollar budget with a rookie director, a basically unheard of cast, almost exclusively unheard of cast, with one physical character in it because of the rest twos, no, there's more than two. There was the host, and there's audio files.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and then a couple of callers.
Speaker 2: Right sure, the callers I don't count, but the two people on the audio files, her host and her boyfriend. Yeah, that's that's basically it. I think that kudos to the marketing team because it sucked us in, but ultimately we're disappointed. And what do they care because they got our tech balks or fifteen bucks at that point, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So can I can I just say, I'm pretty sure at the movie theater that I go to, they are encouraged not to tell you the movie sucked because they obviously don't want to be like, oh yeah, never mind. So they always and a lot of them go and see all of the movies because they can do it for free. It's one of the perks of working there. And I went in and the woman who always gives me my ticket is like, so, what is it today? And I went I'm taking a risk with this one, and she goes, what's that and I went undertone and she just made a face and I was like that bad huh And she's like, well, what was the face? Like like like like it's like you know, yes. Then the manager of the movie theaters saw me and stop me, because she always likes to talk to me. I start talking to her and she's like, what is it this time? And I said undertone and she's like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: She expected I mean what what what I mean? The again another big reason why we chose this. There wasn't a whole lot else coming out that weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no, absolutely.
Speaker 2: But so what are these people thinking? You're going to see Hail Mary Sir?
Speaker 1: Is that not even out? Yeah? Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah yeah uh or probably ready or not? Which are next two movies there are probably up there that those obviously would have been more in our wheelhouse here. And then I was like, yeah, independent film and like one of them even like said that. After I said, like, it's an independent film, she goes, it is an independent film, and I was like, and I like to give those those flicks a shot, even though there's a chance I might come out of it. Absolutely, I'd rather hate something rolling the dice than be like that was average, going with the safe bet that. That's always been my attitude in movies.
Speaker 2: I feel like independent film and wide release, for the most part, not always clearly not in this case. Yeah, it cancels each other out, you know, like, oh, it's an independent film. You're like, eh, but it did get a wide release.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you independent film isn't to me, like like there there's plenty of times when I.
Speaker 2: Know it is to me because I'm playing the odds because most independent film is not very good. Yeah, but then you get that every once in a while you get that banger.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're like, yes, was an independent film. Yeah, yeah, you know it seems like you enjoyed that of a violent nature. Made me want to die. And I was there for an hour and a half and like, do you know what that is? It's like literally from the perspective, you know, how you'd watch a Friday the thirteenth movie, and like the teenager'd be running for thirty seven thirty minutes, fall over, and then Jason, who has never moved beyond not even a brisk walk, just the slowest walk you could possibly imagine, is right behind her the second she falls over. Despite running that pace, this movie is basically like, we're gonna follow Jason instead, And it's just like the sauntering of a dude in a mask who was raised from the dead, and the whole movie is from his perspective. So you'd see the teenagers in the cabin, there'd be five or six of them, and like there was clearly some kind of relationship drama. You never get the whole story or a satisfying conclusion, because as soon as the guy walks away from the window, you no longer hear any more of that dialogue. It's not like the camera stays there. Sounds like a cool idea, right, I was like, all right, let's see where this goes.
Speaker 2: Nope, No, you know there's I actually wrote a paper on this back in college. There's this old Japanese film called Raschaman Okay, and it's about this murder. This came out in like the forties or the third's or something maybe even earlier. I don't I can't remember. This guy gets murdered and nobody knows like what happened, right, So they're trying to figure out and and the same murder scene is shown like four or five different ways, from four or five different perspectives, and dependent upon the perspective, you think you know what happened, right, And so this is like now, it's become a thing in cinema called the rash amount effect where we see this and I think you and I have talked about this too, where we see was it was there a Terrence Howard movie or what were we talking about where it was like a shooting and it was told from all these different perspectives. It was like a fairly new movie, like within the last twenty years or so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, vantage point, vantage point.
Speaker 2: Yeah Forrest Whitaker, maybe he's Okay, who did I say, Terrence Howard? I'm such a racist? So so any so, anyway that that would have been cool, Yeah, had you had the killertive.
Speaker 1: Last, yes, and you had the rest of the story. To me, it just seems like you couldn't think of a story.
Speaker 2: Think of the cool things you could have done yeah, knowing all the stories right, and then the killer doing something like, oh, that's awesome because of this person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly I could have been that, but it wasn't, and that got all these accolades. Uh A violent of or wait, a violent nature?
Speaker 2: A violent nature?
Speaker 1: Yes, and like it's not. I realized this is about undertone. If I can just bitch one more second about this. They also really didn't add any music, so like design, yes, yeah, but like so in a Friday the Thirteenth movie, there's one where like someone sticks metal into Jason's coffin and then lightning strikes it and that kind of like resuscitates, somebody comes to life in the intense organ is playing and all these dramatic sound effects. In of a Violent Nature, there is a camera focused on a gold necklace hanging from a tree branch which belonged to the mother of whatever the hell that thing is. In the ground, someone is like doing something in the woods. They see it, they're like oh, and they scoop it and they just walk away, and then the camera focuses on the ground where nothing is happening for probably about ninety straight seconds, and then slowly you start to see the earth move and this thing climbs out. No music, no fanfare, no nothing. It just climbs out and just starts walking, just starts walking towards wherever that gold necklace ended up going. And like that's how the movie starts. That's literally I'm describing the first five minutes of the movie too. There's almost no dialogue. I would say it's close to sixty minutes. I went to go see it with Jason Slade from KISSFM and then Jeff our former videographer. Yeah, it got to the point where at one point Jeff and I and it's a quiet movie. It's like watching Castaway with Tom Hanks. There's no sound, there's no nothing. We were laughing hysterically because we couldn't believe an how we're into the movie what we were watching, And like you roll the dice going to see an independent movie, that's the case. Like I could not because it's just step step tree branch, crack step step, you know, step in a puddle, step in a puddle, step like get out of here, this is what we're watching.
Speaker 2: You know. What's funny about that is like you know, you think about your expectations going like if you if if you knew this as an independent film, it obviously changes the way you look at it, where you could be watching the exact same thing, but if you knew it was directed by Quentin Tarantino, it would have a whole different effect. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like even though you're watching the exact same.
Speaker 1: Thing, and to that point, the violence, because it's of a violent nature. Yeah, and I'm sure that's that they tried to punctuate that way. Like one woman's doing yoga and this guy grabs her by the hair, bends her backwards at the spine, and then pulls her head through her stomach. Oh my, you can picture that, and they show it pretty aggressively. And just to aside, he like grabs her and he pulls, bends her backwards and then grabs her through her stomach and pulls her through the other side, and we all couldn't.
Speaker 2: Start reaching through her stomach and yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: Pulls her through. Like There's a lot of moments like that, and they punctuate nothing just nothing happening. Any of the other times that's independent films. I would have loved a head being pulled through a stomach in this That might have recaptured my attention forty minutes in. Yeah, there is no moment like that. There's nothing, nothing.
Speaker 2: I I think it would have been cheap to throw something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it absolutely would have. I'm being tongue in cheek now, but I'm saying there was no more. There was no equivalent. Again, I equate yesterday's undertone to to like the Conjuring. I don't even like the Conjuring movies, but there are moments like when the Crooked Man pops up. You're like, like, what was that? And like he does he barely even has to do anything, and she just has to be there, and You're like, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, Well, isn't that the one with the Red Demon or whatever? Or is that something that is that is?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, how do I I've seen that movie three times. I'm blanking on the names.
Speaker 2: Just google Red Demon, Insidious. I don't even Yeah, that's what it is. Yes, all right, I have nothing.
Speaker 1: And for the record, Insidious is another possession, one that actually captivated me. So just to say it can be done. These guys are bad. I have nothing to say.
Speaker 2: Do you struggle just before we wrap the again, do you struggle with watching films like The Exorcists. Now given everything that we can do, not we, but everything that filmmakers can do with.
Speaker 1: The original exercise, I'd argue there are moments in that movie that have yet to be recreated again, and it actually makes me mad that no one is copying some of them, like the random. The closest comparison I can make is Fight Club, where they would flash subliminal images of you, but they just like hit you with a random satan face like nowhere, Like there's like in a cupboard, there's like he's like what he hell? Like I wish movies did that kind of stuff, just like let you in Bulky's Favorite Cabin in the Woods. There's a point where.
Speaker 2: I don't call it sarcastically my favorite because I did like that movie.
Speaker 1: But at one point, what's the main dude who's in the underground facility? The older guy? I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's Richard Jenkins and it's the guy from Billy Madison. Yeah yeah, Bradley Bradley Woodford. Richard Jenkins looks at me and goes, are you even listening to me? And then the title pops up with the loudest noise because they've been rambling for so long that you're kind of zoning out and then it hits you and you kind of jump back in. And it's so well done because it's a brilliant movie and there is no He is such a good actor for like what he gets. He's he's so easy. Oh yeah, he's a he's a chameleon man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he could be in a comedy with a step brothers.
Speaker 2: Good. He's done. So he was. He was in that Africa movie. I don't know how many years ago this was now where he was. I think he got nominated for a Cat to Me Award, but he didn't win for Best Actor. But he was the patriarch on Six Feet Under for all those years too. I didn't watch it.
Speaker 1: I'm familiar with it. Yeah, there's a bunch if I thought about it. Yeah, he's been all over he's he's definitely he's.
Speaker 2: Uh. I'd love to see a movie with him and Stanley Tucci, you know, because I think they play off each other well. But I think it'd just be overkilled because they're they're so similar as far as actors and stuff. I was watching the other day, I was watching this, you know, the movie Spotlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh. And there's a scene with Stanley Tucci and Mark Ruffalo where Mark Ruffalo is learning about how the Catholic Church removed these documents from public record, you know, and and and ruff and Tucci's explaining this to to to Ruffalo, and Ruffalo is like, what you're essing me? Only didn't say, and Tucci just stops and goes, what, No, I'm not essing you just it was so it was so matter. I'm just like, who delivers that line? But stalely Tucci. Anyway, moving on.
Speaker 1: For the review here, I still have the reviews up from Rotten Tomatoes. The Bee gave it a half a star out of five and said stage four pancreatic cancer. And that's it for the view. I'm not willing to go that far, but I'd say three.
Speaker 2: That's what I was. I had three. I just I couldn't couldn't get into it. Sometimes after the film, I'll watch, you know, I'll watch a film and I'll be like, oh, you know, this is cool. I should have paid more attention to this. Now I understand this, and I'll go back and I'll rewatch it and I'll actually enjoy it the second time. No, desire to rewatch this. I just I'm not putting myself through it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no scenario where I see this movie again. Conversely, and I don't want to jinx it. I've looked nothing up about this, and I don't know if you ever or not either, but ready or not? Two is the next one, in my opinion, the first one hell of a sleeper. Very you haven't seen the first one yet, No, I have to watch. Okay, cool that. I won't say anything beyond that. Pleasantly surprised by the first one. Is it a lightning in the bottle scenario or can they recreate it twice? We'll find out. But the I'm very excited. Samorrow Weaving, who is the main actress in that. She is in the Babysitter movies. She was in Borderline with Jack Nicholson's kid. I can't think of his name right now.
Speaker 2: She was look her up right now on Wikipedia or IMDb. She just got added to the cast of some big television show or maybe it was a sequel, like I can't think of what it was now, but I was like, oh my god, she's in this. Kamonos is just telling me about She is from Oh, what were you watching? Was she in the intro scene to Scream? Is that what it was? Sick Scream? Yeah, that's what it was. Yeah, you're just telling me I watched. She didn't just get added to it. It just happened for me because I just watched Screams.
Speaker 1: And I don't think it's any coincidence. It's the same reason they put Drew Barrymore in the first one is because tomorrow Weaving very quietly is becoming the scream Queen of the twenty twenties. If she's in it. It's kind of like, from my perspective, I'm like, well, I'm at least going to see it. It doesn't mean it's gonna be great, but I will probably see it if she's in it, because I normally find myself entertained by whatever she decides to attach herself to.
Speaker 2: By the way, before we wrap, are we gonna do Scream seven?
Speaker 1: By the way, if we are, we have to do it really quick. I mean, now that you're caught up, i'd do it, but I feel like we'd have to do that next week because I can't imagine it's gonna be sticking around much longer.
Speaker 2: I was actually surprised. I was at the theater the other day. I was surprised that it was still there. Yeah, you know, I guess it did well at the box office. Well, we could skip it.
Speaker 1: It's fine, okay.
Speaker 2: Wall, we don't have to. I mean, if we're really I'm going to watch it with my son because it's the only one we haven't seen yet.
Speaker 1: I do want to ask before we wrapped it up, because as someone who's like kind of removed from Scream, Yeah, I found Scream six to have a lot of contrivances, but I also really enjoyed it. It is someone watching it who doesn't have like that sweet spot yeah for Scream, What did you think of the sixth one?
Speaker 2: Scream six is widely regarded as one of the best Scream movies by critics.
Speaker 1: And that's madness because there's a lot of holes in that plot that make no freaking sense.
Speaker 2: I think I'm thinking of the it ends in the sort of like the museum. Yeah, yeah, yeah. If you if you look at go on Wikipedia, it's one of the first things that says is this was this. Everybody loved this.
Speaker 1: When I was a child, I watched I loved the Gremlins movies with like Gizmo and all that shit. And in the first when it ends with Spike the leader Gremlin and like, he's been terrifying your child, he's been terrifying the main character in the main family the whole movie. And in the last scene they're like, how do you up the anny one more time? And they give him a gun, And.
Speaker 3: Ever since, ever since that sequence, even as a child, I'm like, well, that's such an obvious progression that I can't believe more movies than take And then Scream six, when they're moving around the convenience store and all of a sudden, ghost Face pulls out a shotgun. I'm like, what an obvious move to make that they've never done until.
Speaker 2: This, but because it's so much scared, but because it didn't match up with the the the edgen right, no, all you know that that's what my son he he loves trying to figure out who the killer is, you know, and basically he's like, oh, it's him. Oh it's hurt like everybody, Yeah, of course you know that. And then in Scream six, I feel like I can spoil this because it's been out a few years. Right in Scream six, he did think that the tall kid with the curly hair, the roommate of what's his name, he did say it was him, okay, but he never said Dermott mulroney, and he never said the girl the room right. Yeah, the movie he never well, I wasn't seven minutes, but he never which was awesome because I think, like, you know, this is the sixth iteration of it, and my kid, who's definitely into it, he he couldn't you know where this is, like why he watches it is trying to figure it out. He couldn't figure it out.
Speaker 1: So why I liked to give you some insight it might make you like the movie more Because I obviously grew up on the original trilogy. I was twelve years old when the third one came out, so that should put in.
Speaker 2: I might have shared this with you just real quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I a bunch of my friends we were seeing a movie one day and then somebody else went like, oh, I want to see this movie. I'm like, I'll go see that movie with you, and whatever happened, like we could we all had to see like my two separate sets of friends had to see it on the same day. But it's two different movies, but I bought tickets for everybody. So I ended up buying like eight tickets, four for Scream the original Scream huh, and then four for Beavis and butt Head Do America. And we said, and I saw both of those, like like, you know, you went in you I think I watched Beavis and butt Head first, came out, had a piece of sabarro pizza and a soda, and then went back in and watched and watched Scream. It was great.
Speaker 1: I'm here for that. I probably would have just snuck into it, but I hear you, yeah, But Scream two, which I saw a billion times. In that movie, the killer is Billy Loomis's mom, who's a reporter who barely shows up, much older than the bulk of the cast, and she'd always show up and she'd get treated like shit, and she was the reporter that nobody cared about. And Scream six is essentially a remake of Scream two. And so I'm sitting there and I'm like, okay, so, knowing that, who would the killer be? And I'm like, son of a gun, it's gonna be Gail Weathers because she would pop up the same way Billy Loomis's mom would pop up, and then in the scene when they when they try to kill her, which obviously doesn't go the way that they plan. The killer is even saying you probably like it would have made the most sense if it were you and that was the killer. Literally talking to people that love Scream too, that are like, oh, and I was like, Oh, this movie's good. Like that made me overlook so many of the contrivances like that one scene. I'm like, they shot this movie in a way to make people like me think they outsmarted the movie and then rubbed it in our face. They wanted us down that pathway. I'm like, this is good movie making. I figured out a subway scene. That's a good movie. I take back what I said.
Speaker 2: That's a good movie when they're in the subway. Six Yeah, yeah, anyway, go on Scream. This is sort of like when I became jaded with the film industry because Lori metcalf Is cast as Billy Loomis's mother.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, I didn't even know her name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she and she was she had been doing a lot of stuff. I mean she was on Roseanne for all those years.
Speaker 1: I never watched Roseanne religiously.
Speaker 2: But I mean I think she was an Emmy nominated now that you mentioned it, I think she was Emmy nominated for that, and she was in other stuff, like other television shows and other movies. And I'm like, you know, it's kind of bizarre that they're having Lori Metcalf play this reporter who's like intermittently in this scene. Briefly she gets her ass handed to her in this scene, and I was kind of like, there's.
Speaker 1: More going on here, that's funny, and.
Speaker 2: Then sure enough, and so that's when I kind of figured out, like, oh, okay, so if I see a kind of high brow actor, yeah, and it's clearly not just a cameo.
Speaker 1: Probably a little more to it. I like that.
Speaker 2: I wish I didn't, because it's it's ruined some films for me now, you know, and when I see stuff. But I think Hollywood's getting better at it too, because they don't. I mean, like with all the policies to term at mulroney, like his best acting hit maybe behind him.
Speaker 1: Sure, so the role he played there is always his role at this point. He's always like the dad that's like vaguely abusive who he is, so we're not doing Scream seven, then we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Do I mean, I feel like that should be a backup. I think if we plot this out over the next few weeks, so this will be released on Thursday, which is March twenty sixth, sixth, Yeah, so then we would have April second, would that be it? Yes?
Speaker 1: Because April first, yeah, we'd be recorded, right.
Speaker 2: So April second will be Ready or Not two, right, yes, okay, April ninth will be Hail Mary. And if I remember correctly, there wasn't a whole lot that I remember in the April release schedule, so maybe we could fall back on Scream seven. Did you see it?
Speaker 1: I haven't, no, okay, and this is gonna be the first one since the first one that I haven't seen there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I don't know how to do.
Speaker 1: It then, yeah, unless we moved everything, because well that's just it. I don't even know if Ready or Not will last two more weeks, and I am looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: We we have to do. We have to do that one next week. Yeah, that's kind of non negotiable. Then I think what we do is this, we do Scream seven after that. If project Hail Mary is doing really well, and then we'll do Project Hail.
Speaker 1: Mary that works. That works, and if we miss it, I'm not even opposed to once it gets released on a streaming service or something, I'm not I'm not opposed to just catch you like we did Happy Gilmore. We've done a couple of what was the other one where they all switched bodies a couple.
Speaker 2: It's what's inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I mean, I wouldn't be against getting scream on here one way or another down the line. Okay, there's the inside baseball for the rest of you guys. I think we're going to enjoy everybody. Yeah, all right, that's gonna do for this one. Don't see undertone or do support of support an independent movie, but like also like this one sucked, and we'll be back next week with Ready or Not too